Speaker 1: Thank you, John.
Speaker 2: It is eight oh five here Kentucky and this Morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty whas we are trying our best to keep you as updated as we can with the developing situation where yesterday looked as if things were going to end peacefully, but I guess that was just too good to be true. That was really unrealistic. Now that we now that we reflect on what's taken place in the last well guys, really since since overnight, because when both sides agreed to cease fire and end it. The best way I can describe it is there were it's like a fight being broken up, and you know that somebody is things are calming. You've got somebody breaking breaking up the fight between you and somebody else, but you got to get one little jab in before it's over. And then of course the expectation of somebody who was on the other end of that job to just not react at all, that's that's that's not realistic. So as he was getting getting set to get on a helicopter within the last hour or so, Donald Trump was was pretty critical of both, but certainly critical more so of Israel in them violating the ceasefire timeline and then he just he put it pretty bluntly as far as what we've got here, And I think this is uh not what you typically would hear from president, but I think we all know what he means here, And to be honest with you, I think it makes sense if I'm being u I'm being real with you.
Speaker 3: That been fighting so long and so hard that they don't know what they're doing. Do you understand that it?
Speaker 2: Let me back it up a little bit. I missed the beginning of that, but essentially, you know, I think you know what he's saying. But anyways, this is this is the clip I meant to play in totality here.
Speaker 4: You know what we have.
Speaker 2: We basically have two countries that have been fighting so long and so hard that they.
Speaker 3: Don't know what the they're doing. Do you understand that?
Speaker 4: It?
Speaker 1: So that's the latest.
Speaker 2: Again, it seemed as if things were headed in the right direction, but now it's really tough to know exactly where to go from here. I would say, just from what I've gatheredck in everywhere and of course both Fox and CNN, it seems as if the Iran I mean, I guess should we take them at their word. I don't know, but they they they claim that they don't know why Israel is responding because they claimed that that that it that they didn't violate cease fire. They didn't send anything. Now you heard Trump mentioned that there was at least one missile that was thrown, and I guess he was expecting Israel not to respond to that one and let it be over, but they didn't want to do that. So where it goes from here remains to be seen. But but we we shall see. Well, keep the update as best we can. And again, I think as of right now it's maybe some reflection is that, yeah, we were probably foolish to just assume that it would just it would just you know, that everything was just going to be peaceful. It almost seemed too good to be true yesterday, and oftentimes when things appear to be too good to be true, there's there's good reason for that, all right. So I want to remind folks that coming up on Saturday that will be the the honoring of Tom George. So it's a public ceremony that will honor former UL athletic director Tom Jurch for his contributions to the university in the city of Louisville. We had Mary Greenberg one with us last week to make that announcement, and this, to me, I have no clue what to expect as far as the turnout, but I do know that and this was a known thing, at least from my perspective, just in my background and covering u of L for so long and spending more than ten years in the sports radio side of things. Tom Jurich has been gone from u of L for quite some time. In fact, I believe it was twenty seventeen in the fall there when he was effectively fired, so it's been a while since he's no longer been the athletic director here. But there are still some that I think there. I think it'd be unnatural to not support u of L because Tom Jurch isn't here, because that just doesn't It makes it seem as if you were more so a Jurich fan than the U of L fan. And I'm sure there are some that that was sort of how they were wired, and I don't get it, but I'm sure they I'm sure there's some kind of an explanation for that maybe, But nonetheless, Jurich being welcomed by and him agreeing to come back and be honored. Where they're gonna name I believe some they're gonna name part of Floyd Street Jurich Way. All that can do is potentially help U of L athletics now what it's actually gonna do as far as something tangible, something that is you know of note meaning we can look back and say, wow, that was a great move to to to really make amends and repair what was clearly a damaged relationship between Tom Jurich and U of L and the city. That this result is a direct is direct proof that that was the right thing to do. I'm not sure if we ever get anything like that, but again, I don't see any real harm here because regardless of what your thoughts are on the Jurich era, and I don't I'm only speaking from a fans perspective, and I'm meaning me as a fan. I can't speak for anybody anybody by myself. But even though he was loyal to a fault, meaning he kept Rick Patino for too long, and obviously there was some some some of going on with the foundation with him and James Ramsey.
Speaker 1: That of course was covered quite a bit.
Speaker 2: But like let's be honest, maybe they should, but a lot of fans don't care about that. So when they think of Tom Jurdge, they feel as if, hey, without him, who knows what U ofl Athletics would look.
Speaker 1: Like right now?
Speaker 2: So I don't know again what the expected turnout is going to be for those that are going to show up there on Saturday. But it's at ten am, twenty one to thirty five South Floyd Street. It's going to be at the Lenny Lyles Plaza at card Park. So Jeorge is going to be there. In fact, he's going to be on our airwaves here on news radio eight forty whas I believe tomorrow with Terry Miners, so you'll hear from the man himself at that point. All, let's get an update on trapping weather right here, right now on news radio eight forty whs Age sixteen here Kentucky has morning news on news.
Speaker 1: Radio eight forty whas.
Speaker 2: Oryo and Neal of NBC News going to join us at eight thirty and get the latest on what is going on. And I'm not sure there's going to be well, you never know, but it has been a busy evening and morning thus far. As when it comes to keeping up with what appeared to be a truce yesterday that is now no longer in place. And it's tough to know. Is is it both sides that are now saying, yeah, there's been too much damage done since the ceasefire, therefore we're back at it. We're at each other's throats. Or is it more so one side that is claiming, no, you violated it. We're not going to let it slide. It certainly seems as if Iran was not you know, again, hard to know if you can take them at their word or not. But they seem to be a little stunned. And again maybe they're full of it as far as were they, you know, they don't they whoever fired a missile that that obviously Israel thought was way too late and well past the deadline. Maybe maybe it was somebody that was rogue. I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's tough to know.
Speaker 2: But again, Rory on Neil MBC, who's going to join us coming up at eight thirty to give us to give us the latest on that. All right, if you have you've not had bread fish jet, I'm probably going to make you more hungry here because we have a list here from Delish, that is the news outlet that has given US America's favorite chain restaurants from healthiest to most craved. And I don't like when I look at these lists and realize that there are apparently very popular chain restaurants here in America that we don't have access to around here because some of them have never heard of. Some of them, I know, are very popular in certain areas of the United States, and I just know that we're not where they are, including like In and Out, which, by the way, In and Out is the most according.
Speaker 1: By the way, this is put together by.
Speaker 2: Data Essential, a company that provides food and beverage industry insights, and they've announced the winners of their five hundred Awards for twenty twenty five, which recognizes the most innovative and innovative and beloved restaurant chains in the United States. So when it comes to the most craved, that was In and Out, I can't crave it because I've never had it. But I've also never heard anybody say anything but things about In and Out.
Speaker 3: I've had it.
Speaker 5: One time is when I was in Texas and Livenest just decent.
Speaker 1: Then it didn't.
Speaker 2: Then I would say, yeah, I guess that that if you don't really remember it being anything special, but you also don't remember it being subpar, it probably was fine.
Speaker 1: It just didn't meet it.
Speaker 2: And I think there are certain things that that society sets up for failure because you you you guess it up so much that it's almost impossible to meet the hype. I find myself avoiding certain things like that, where publics I just don't I just don't know if if you know, I'm sure it'll be fine, but you've put it on a level that I'm not sure anything for me could reach the level that you put this at. And I feel like in and out's kind of like that, Yeah, if you've been to.
Speaker 6: A public yet not since they've been here that people talks about their the people who love publics love publics. So the best burger chain overall, shake Shack. I've had it, and it was whatever to me.
Speaker 1: It was an East.
Speaker 2: I don't know where they are as far as like the majority of their locations. And then the best America's best chicken chain Raising canes.
Speaker 1: Love raising canes.
Speaker 2: I'm fine. Raising canes is good, I will say to me, It's one of those that I believe I'm gonna blame everybody else for me not being able to enjoy it as much as you, because you set the hype so high that even if I really like it, I'm just I'm I feel unfulfilled because I don't know if I'm ever gonna love it the way that you do.
Speaker 5: I was an early adopter for raising canes before it got super extravagant around here.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, the people who love it love it now. America's best coffee chain is Dutch Bros. I don't drink coffee. I've never even heard of that.
Speaker 1: Me neither.
Speaker 2: So again, maybe that's another example of a chain that is popular but just not near us.
Speaker 1: Or maybe it isn't. We just don't know. I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: America's best restaurant experience is one that is right here, local, and they've got headquarters here. Texas Roadhouse. Text road Haus has got some real momentum right now. And I love Texas Roadhouse. There's like four or five things I could get in in be satisfied.
Speaker 1: And I don't.
Speaker 2: I've never had an experience at Roadhouse that wasn't a good one.
Speaker 1: The cactus blossom all day, oh.
Speaker 2: Man, the salads, Country fried steak, the steaks, the burghers, I mean, good stuff. Now I'm very hungry.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the backfired on me. It's eight thirty almost eight thirty as well, pretty early.
Speaker 2: Yes, America's value leader as far as just what you get for the price. Their prices have certainly increased substantially actually over the years. But I will agree as far as what you pay, you get a lot, and it's pretty good.
Speaker 1: Certainly when it's fresh. Little Caesars, that is good. That's a good one. Little Caesars. A lot of people shame Little Caesars. Pretzel crust for Little Caesars, and they throw out.
Speaker 2: Some new creative menu items and I feel like they rarely miss when it comes to those things. So yeah, they are, they're the leader when it comes to value. All right, We've got an update on Travick and weather coming your way. Also another update on sports with Scott Fitzgerald right here on news RADIOATE forty whas.
Speaker 1: Eight thirty four. Here Kentucky in.
Speaker 2: Its morning news and we now bring him in once again for the second time. Joining us this morning. It's Rory O'Neil of NBC News. Rory, it seems as if there's been quite the development since our conversation a few hours ago. What is the latest here? It seems as if it looked like we were heading in the right direction. Maybe now it's not as easy to say.
Speaker 4: Well, look, President Trump is now clearly trying to get his message out there, trying to make sure that.
Speaker 3: This Sea Spire holds.
Speaker 4: Yes, it did get off to a rocky start, allegations Iran launched a missile that Israel intercepted after the Sea Spires was supposed to have begun, but President Trump urging Israel and had a quote stern unquote phone call with Prime Minister net and Yahoo to get this sea spire to hold. The President used some colorful language that if I repeated, would get me fired here when describing sort of the long history that these two countries have of just fighting one another and don't know what they're doing. And you can insert an adjective in there of your own choosing. So it's a tenuous time best right now.
Speaker 2: So correct me if I'm wrong. It seems as if Israel was responding as if they're they're basically gonna attack because of something that Iran did, and Iran almost seemingly acted as if they didn't know what they were referring to. They claim there's a rare situation where they claimed as if they didn't actually do what Israel claimed they did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, but that reminds me of my big brother. You know, I didn't know what to do. You know. It's one of those kinds of things.
Speaker 4: And look, we know that anytime this happens all around the world, when there are these sea spires, both sides tend to sort of do one last blast of whatever that may be. What happened in this case, the question was how was Israel going to respond by that one last blast from Iran? And President Trump is leaning on net Yahu's saying, look, yesterday when Iran launched that measly little attack at the US and cutter, I just took it. They gave us a heads up that was coming. No one got hurt, and I just let it slide. You need to let this slide, and Trump essentially saying I just did you guys as solid by destroying these three nuclear bases and put a lot of my political capital on the line here. The least you can do is help me out with the seaspire and not over respond overreact because the President said, even going into the Seaspire, we've talked about Iran having one last gasp. Well, Israel was launching an unprecedented missile attack on Tehran, the Iranian capital, at the same time, so both sides just seem to have gotten one last blast. What we're hoping now is that this seaspire takes effect and can hold on. The President is now on his way to the Hague, so he's going to sort of be out of pocket for the next seven or eight hours while Air Force one makes the trip.
Speaker 2: The color for language you mentioned that we heard from from President Trump before you got on the helicopter. It makes sense as far as just given just how these have been enemies. I guess the scenario where this just completely ended yesterday with nothing else to develop was probably unrealistic, right, I mean, these two are or I mean, they've been enemies for quite some times. So maybe this is just I guess, the cost of the exit strategy. But it does sound as if maybe the most recent conversation that President Trump had with Israel, I mean, it sounds as if maybe the actual truth could be could be in effect. I guess we never know, but it sounds like despite the concerns, this morning is at least heading in the right direction.
Speaker 4: Well, look, I think we've all also, all of us self included, have become so skewed that everything's like an episode of Law and Order, right, it all wraps up neatly in one hour, and that we're all on this TV timeline, and the President says, okay, you know, we're tired of this next episode and wants to change the channel. But this has been a fight, as he also said, that's been going on for longer than anyone can remember, So there has to be This is going to take time, and it's not necessarily ready for prime time, and it doesn't go along with the TV or the newspaper schedule. So you just have to ease into this and realize that this may not be a linear path. There could be some bumps and dips along the way, but the long term commitment to this is what it's going to take to make it worthwhile.
Speaker 2: Rory on Nil of NBC News is our guest joining us here on News Radioate forty. Whas with the congressional summer recess approaching, Senate leadership is promising to stay in session until Trump's big, beautiful bill is passed. What can you tell us about what is I guess maybe one of many things the biggest thing holding up this bill here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, the parliamentarian in the Senate has to do a lot of work with it because they're passing it to an unusual method.
Speaker 3: Not unusual, but they're not. It's not going through normal order.
Speaker 4: So this way they can pass it with fifty votes or fifty one votes and don't need sixty votes because the filibuster doesn't apply here. So today's going to be a big day in taking the language of the bill, putting it out there, and then starting to push this forward. Still debate though over how much to cut Medicaid and how much tax deductions people can have in those high tax states through salt. But let's see, because whatever changes they make in the Senate then have to.
Speaker 3: Go back to the House for approval. So this is going to be difficult to get over the finish line.
Speaker 2: Rory, thank you so much for your time, and we will talk soon, my friend.
Speaker 3: Thanks Nick.
Speaker 1: All right, that's Rory and Neal of NBC News.
Speaker 2: So it seems as if things have calmed down a little bit since late evening early this morning, it was it was chaotic. But again, if you guys, if you didn't hear the President before he got on his helicopter to as Rory mentioned, be out of pocket for a little while. Here here is here's what he had to say in regards to Israel and Iran. We basically have two countries that have been.
Speaker 4: Fighting so long and so hard that they don't know what they're doing.
Speaker 2: Do you understand that you let another updated traving the weather coming your way right here, right now, and then we'll welcome in mister Tony Venetti, as Simon Duiterer said, to take over coming up here at nine o'clock right here. Our news radioate forty whas height forty five here Kentucky, and it's morning news on news Radio eight forty w h as. We'll hand it off to Tony and Dwight coming up here in just about fifteen minutes or so. I'm sure they'll keep you updated as best they can on and I'm now that the President Trump's going to be out of pocket for a while. There may not be any real development in the next few hours from this side, meaning in America, but nothing should really surprise us. When it comes to this current situation, that's for certain. But one of the things that we did talk about earlier is the big news and you've heard it throughout the morning with in the newscast from John Shannon, and that is the gift that Young Brands is giving JCPS. They're donating a piece of property that Marty Polio estimates is essentially going to be a forty million dollars gift, and Tony, I think this is viewed by a lot of people is a nice and generous thing, and maybe to claim that it really isn't a big valuable gift considering what Young Brands is worth. But they didn't have to do it, and I'm sure JCPS when they go through the process today, I guess formally accept this gift. I mean, they got to be feeling lucky that that that Young Brands was so generous.
Speaker 7: I've followed KFC a little bit more than most because my dad worked there for thirty years. He actually died while still working at KFC, and when they talked to my mom and I about how they were going to handle because nobody had died, it had worked that long. So we met in Colonel Sanders old office, which they locked the doors the day he died. So we're sitting at his desk, Colonel Sanders' desk. There's yellow, gold shag carpet everything. The papers on his desk the day he died were the papers on his desk. It was wild, so I followed it in. At one point, KFC ran all of their stores and then they said, no, let's just make them all franchises and sell them to people, and then we'll sell them the stuff. That's when KFC started to take sort of a noseedive and they didn't need as many people as they did, so the employee number went down. I obviously this is a fantastic gift for JCPS, there's no doubt about it. I don't know how you do forty million dollars worth of renovations. It's an office building and the one behind it is a tech building. It's all full of computers.
Speaker 2: It isn't this close to where they currently are now at the van Yeah no, yeah, that we're next.
Speaker 7: To us at the studios, the old studios across the street. So it's just what it's two blocks away. Uh So, I don't know what forty million dollars is going to count. But this also feels like a goodbye gesture on behalf of KFC. I don't want to be naive to the fact that hey, look at this left hand while we're right hand is moving more people out of town. We've seen it with Papa John's Human I can't be far behind you. Name it brown Foremant and brown Foreman. Get rid of some folks is lately we've.
Speaker 2: Got to figure out so some are leaving, others are just restructuring, and it's led to a lot of jobs gone. And then of course maybe just with them. Really, when you when you downsize as much as some of these companies have, you kind of change who you are to where maybe you do need to relocate. It doesn't make a lot of sense to be to be.
Speaker 7: What are reasons because you do a list? Somebody answered my post because I pos hosted on this on Facebook and said that he was part of a group fifteen years ago of why won't fortune five hundred companies come here? And he goes the surprising thing was professional sports teams, And it wasn't the fact that you have an NFL or an NBA team. It's the fact that other companies will say, if the NFL and the NBA did their homework on where they should move, let's borrow their credibilt They're already the hard work, and let's move there too, because it's obviously got to be a good a good market.
Speaker 2: That's a good point. So if the pro team is willing to set up shop there, then clearly they've seen that.
Speaker 1: Yes, they did the Yeah they did. They did the correct for you. They did the homework for you.
Speaker 7: So we've got to figure out how to gets And Look, the Brandon Taylor riots and all that and the murder rate doesn't help, the fact that the fact that JCPS is still a mess doesn't help. It's just we've made decisions along the way that haven't helped. And I don't know what the answer is, and I don't know how unless it's a startup. How another fortune five hundred company moves to Louisville.
Speaker 1: Well, I want them.
Speaker 2: To, yes, I just don't. Papa John's is the one that ultimately they just left. Others have have had, like for example, KFC the Young Essentially they still have a lot of employees here, but they did move. I think it was about one hundred jobs ended up in El Paso, Texas, and they claim they're going to end up relocating here. But maybe I'm the naive one, and and and and maybe you're onto something that this could be a nice very you know, a gift that they didn't have to do to maybe when if they do leave, Oh well they did give us, They did give JCPS this this great building. So maybe maybe you're onto something there. But Texas, Texas Roadhouse is booming. They're headquartered here. Yes, yeah, and that's not that's not somebody bringing started here. Yeah, and it's and it's i mean a center guy. It's the number one chain restaurant. And again there's a lot of different ways you can you can win. That is a lot of different ways that people determine what is in fact the best chain and whatnot. But they've got a lot of momentum. I mean, some of the these concept restaurants like Bubba thirty threes, I mean they're popping up around here in the Kentucky and area. So well, let's see if they can continue to grow and they keep their headquarters here. Maybe that means more jobs and it's better of course for the economy. But yeah, there's no doubt the taxes.
Speaker 7: Think about taxes. You moved to Texas, no state or city tax. Right, Florida, no city or state tax. The first paycheck I got in Florida when I worked in I was the day cook at the Huki Lao in nineteen eighty nine Huki Loo at the Huki Loo was the day cook. And I got my first paycheck and I said, something's wrong here. They didn't take any taxes out. And they're like, you're an idiot. Where you from? I said Kentucky And they're like, yeah, we don't have any city or state taxes here. So I got most of my paycheck I got and that was unfamiliar to you, very unfamiliar. So think about Texas. So now you move, you move your business to Texas. You're trying to attract the best talent. When you pay someone one hundred thousand dollars, they keep more of the one hundred thousand dollars a year than if you worked in Louisville, Kentucky.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you are, if you're making the sales pitch to one of these fortune founmeter companies, what's our what we hopefully you'd have a lot to mention as far as why you would come here?
Speaker 1: But I don't even really know.
Speaker 2: What the lead would be as far as just like here's the here's the here's what we're going to emphasize more than anything, as far as why would make sense for you to be here, which again I wouldn't be the one to make the pitch, but maybe that's a question for for Mary Greenberg. He's going to be joining me on Friday. Oh there we go, lead question, bro. Thank you, all right, there you go, guiding me into.
Speaker 1: The right direction and stuff.
Speaker 2: All right, Tony and Dwyd are coming up next.