Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: We've got exactly what you need here as we get these seven o'clock hours started. Thank you very much, John Chan And it is Coffee and Company here on News Radio eight forty whas Nick Coffee.
Speaker 1: That's me. We've got the full crew here.
Speaker 2: Two more hours for me and then I'm out of here vacation time, which really looking forward to it. But I'm going to make the most of these next two hours because I'll miss you guys, trust me, and I am somebody that will in fact miss doing this because I'm not lucky. I get to do something every day that I genuinely enjoy doing, which you know is a dream come true.
Speaker 1: But back to business.
Speaker 2: This is a story that is, you know, I try to find myself in the situation that some of these people are in when it comes to the stories that we share here on this show, and this one is one that I can't quite imagine the feeling of.
Speaker 1: What this did to this individual.
Speaker 2: So there is a woman who was able to survive an allergy attack that almost killed her, but the attack was intentional. This woman, Deborah Williams. She claims that her ex daughter in law, Tiffany Gregory, used her severe food allergies as a weapon and of course probably trying to I mean, I don't know how severe they are, but food allergies are very serious for most people, very severe. And she claims that her daughter in law in a birthday gift bag put a bunch of crushed bell peppers and what they were delivered to this woman by her granddaughter, the daughter of Tiffany Gregory, and they left him in a car. And of course, I mean, that's that's something that was intentionally put there to hurt her.
Speaker 1: Maybe kill her.
Speaker 2: So it says a Father's Day, on Father's Day of pink liquid allegedly laced with penicillin was smeared on her door handle. Williams touched and then went into and went into what is it anaphila anaphyletic shock. I'm sure I'm not saying that correctly, but that leads to seizure's hospitalization again, a very dangerous, very dangerous situation. So this is a scorned, bitter daughter in law that was wanting to hurt and again potentially kill her ex mother in law, which I mean, I can't imagine. I mean, it's one thing in the heat of the moment with somebody that you already or maybe at odds with, let emotions get the best of both of you, and you end up you know, in its physical I mean, that's not a good thing by any means, but that's sort of like where things just got there right, wasn't good and then it went down a path of uh oh, this is clear intent to secret of you know, in a secret way like harm you and again maybe kill you. So the woman was faced with multiple charges to count of unlawful transaction with the miner again because she had her daughter leave this bag of crushed bell peppers. And also so yeah, there were two different incidents that that that happened here. One was the pink liquid that had penicillin, which she's allergic to, and then the other was the crush bell peppers in a bag that the granddaughter, Gregory's daughter left in the car. So two counts of unlawful transaction with a minor and again just awful and the motive I mean again just probably at odds with her ex mother in law. But a text obtained by police show that this woman referencing the birthday gift, which police believe was meant to provoke her harm, which I don't haven't seen the text message, but anyways, shout out to this woman, Deborah Williams, because she's doing something that I would have a hard time doing, and that is forgiving somebody who tried to do this. I mean, she's she's had an emotional trauma. I mean, sounds like stalking as well, and it sounds like it really hasn't stopped, which again, eventually this woman's gonna end up in prison if she continues to I mean again, I guess the charge here is rather minor considering that if you know, I don't know, I don't know enough about what type of charges would come with certain actions. But if I intentionally and there was proof that it was an intentional thing exposed somebody deceitfully that to something that they're allergic to, that could potentially cause a real issue to their health.
Speaker 1: And maybe even kill them.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean that's to me, that's a very serious situation where serious charges could have been filed here. But this woman is forgiving her. Quote is I want to help. I want her to get help. She needs some serious, intense psychological help. I want to go to heaven and if I judge her, God is going to judge me the same way. So shout out to this woman having that perspective on it when I know a lot of people, including myself, probably wouldn't. This isn't the best example to use, But there was a true crime show that I got hooked on and I can't think of what it was called, but john It highlighted people who found out, fortunately before it happened, that their significant other was plotting to have them killed, like murder for hire. And it's just I can't imagine, like if I found out that my wife was trying to have me killed, I mean, I wouldn't believe it. And then once you have the realization that you better believe it's true, she's she's in trouble.
Speaker 1: I mean that.
Speaker 2: I mean, I can't imagine how you would wrap your mind around that. In many of those cases, those stories, it was people who had no clue, They never saw it coming.
Speaker 1: They didn't, they don't, they didn't believe it.
Speaker 2: But then there were others that were like, oh, yeah, I knew that if I ended up dead, I.
Speaker 1: Told people she did it or he did it.
Speaker 2: You know, So this isn't quite that, But I don't know, I feel like doing it in that kind of way, hiring somebody or maybe using something that people are allergic to then they could die from. Like that's in a way that's like a I don't say it makes it worse, but like it's just I don't know, it's it's awful, but yeah, shout out to Debra Williams Soon.
Speaker 3: I think it makes it worse real quick, just because you don't really leave any evidence. Well, yes you can, you can see you unintentionally gave it to them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean I think it speaks more so to just that you are like you are such not the person they thought they were for the for the obvious reason, but going to the links of like hi, paying somebody to do it potentially or you know, it's cowardly. Yeah, like not even a dress, Like this person could lose their life and they never even knew that you had a problem with them, you know what. I mean that clearly this is a bitter ex daughter in law, which that explains it a little bit. But yeah, scary situation, all right. Have you ever wanted to be a franchise e, meaning you own a you know, part of a brand, and when it comes to restaurants, or have you ever just been interested in what it takes to put yourself in that situation with Hooters closing. I looked into it, and I was fascinated to see just sort of what you have to have up front to be able to open up and own your own restaurant. And there's there's some clear reasons why some succeed in some don't. But we'll talk about that next right here on who's ready to wait?
Speaker 1: Forty?
Speaker 2: Whas I lied to you, I'm going to save the conversation about what it takes to become a franchise owner of certain restaurants for a little bit later when we have a little bit more time, not a whole lot of time left here before we get to our next traffic weather update, and then of course we've got Scott fitzgil back with.
Speaker 1: Another update on sports.
Speaker 2: But earlier we discussed the LMPD officer who is not going to be charged with what appears to be an accident while on duty that unfortunately did cost someone their life. So this officer did not have her lights or sirens activated. It's Alyssa Bagel, who was I guess facing potentially some charges, in fact, secondary manslaughter charges but a grand jury declined to indict this officer, And it's just a tragic situation all the way around for everybody involved, because obviously somebody lost their life. Sixty one year old Tarreles Brisco was driving on Fern Valley Road while this officer was responding to help ems but did not have again sirens or lights active, which of course probably led to not as much awareness that, hey, there's a first responder in pursuit of some situation, so be advised and you know, get out of the way. And just just an awful situation all the way around. And I would assume maybe I'm wrong, maybe we'll find out that that's not the case, but probably just a clear accident. And you know, accidents sometimes lead to criminal charges because they do in fact, they do hurt people.
Speaker 1: And that happened here.
Speaker 2: But this is also somebody that was doing the job of a police officer and risking their life every day to go out and try to you know, do good for the community. So again, just a bad situation all the way around. But there's another situation about a former l MPD officer who found himself on the wrong side of the law, which we'll talk about that coming up a little bit later on, but again your next update coming your way right here right now. On the traffic out there, Bobby Ellis will get as caught up, We'll get the forecast from at Melosovich, and then Scott will be in for another update on sports right here on news Radio eight forty whas seven thirty five Here Kentucky, Anda's morning news on news Radio eight forty whas. Nick coffee with you. It is Coffee and Company. Thank you very much, John Shannon. So, if you ever wanted to own, or have you ever wondered what it would take to become an owner or an operator as some of them call it, of one of these national chain restaurants, rather it be fast food or sit down casual.
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 2: I was. I've always been curious about this to an extent, and the recent closure of the Hooters in Jeffersonville and then seeing that a lot of these locations that have struggled with Hooters it is it's really their corporate locations, which is which is kind of odd, but they're going to try to sell some of those to the successful franchisees who own many of them and are and are having success and you really never know where probably don't even think about it when you go to some of these chains that yes, there are billions of McDonald's and you know I'm exagger but clearly there's there's some of these fast food restaurants all over the world, and they're all they're all technically under the umbrella of the of the parent company like McDonald's and of Force Young when it comes to KFC, Taco Bell. But you can be you can own multiple multiple locations, and uh, how you operate and really lead those individual locations, uh is up to you. And you've got the standard to uphold when it comes to the brand that you clearly saw as a real valuable investment, which is why you bought in to become an owner. So have you ever heard about Chick fil a John As far as what it takes to be one of those one of those, I guess they're not actually not owners, but they're called operators.
Speaker 3: But it wouldn't surprise me if there's a lot of strict rules of being a franchisee.
Speaker 2: So they I mean, I would say, and I'm not getting paid to say this at all. So this is not any kind of plug by any means, but I don't think I have ever seen, and I don't even know what the comparison would be as far as a national chain with countless locations where there is a consistency within the brand and the standard like Chick fil A. I mean, it just is, and it's because of what they do as far as what goes into new locations opening, So you really can't have a traditional franchise. They call their store owners operators, not franchisees, and it's for good reason. The company Chick fil A, actually retains all of the ownership of the restaurant and they lease that to the operator, and this creates just a dynamic that has worked for them. Operators don't own the store, they run it on behalf of the company, and the initial investment is only ten thousand dollars, which has got to be the lowest in that industry. However, Chick fil A covers the cost of real estate, construction, equipment, and that value there is about two million dollars roughly, So operators do not build equity in the location of their own business. If they leave, the store stays with Chick fil A, which again that would lead to you thinking okay, well, Why would I invest in that if I'm never going to really get return on investment. Well, you're not really investing, right, You're investing ten thousand up front and all the money and just the U upstart costs is Chick fil A's. So what separates them is there is their selection process. So out of twenty thousand roughly that apply every year, only seventy five to one hundred are actually chosen. Which this is something that you do. This is a saying that I had heard without really knowing much about the process. But Chick fil A to become an operator, they have a lower acceptance rate than getting into Harvard.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: And again it's because they are selective about who they let run their business, and that has led to them being able.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is the perfect formula, it really is.
Speaker 3: And it surprises me that you don't see more restaurant companies going that direction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you should model what they do if you're one of these companies. So Chick fil A, what they're looking for is you know somebody who they're interviewing you. Essentially, you've got to have a proven leadership background, an entrepreneurial spirit. That's one of the things they emphasize with a hands on mentality, willingness to deeply be involved in day to day operations, and of course just strong values that align with Chick fil A's mission and culture, which of course that that that that that aspect certainly has to come into just their their clear uh and and real direct stance on on on their faith. So here's the big here's the big kicker. You can't be a private operator, a silent operator. You you have to be a full time employee in the restaurant, So passive ownership's not allowed, and you must live in or relocate to the community that's in that area. And a lot of these operators, because of everything that comes with it, they end up being sort of local figures in their community, and you know, they sponsor events, they hire, they hire a lot of you know, they hire a lot of good people, and they get back to the community. So to me, this just this makes sense as to why they are able to have a very consistent and aligned brand across the board. And if you are one of these people that does get one of these opportunities and you invest that ten thousand, here's what you receive. Fifteen percent of the restaurant's profits plus fifty percent of net operating income, so total total performing. Yeah, in total the you know, the top performers in this space, they can make three hundred to five hundred thousand per year. It's not guaranteed, but that's what you can have as a salary if you are chosen and you run the business successfully. So you're not walking away with equity, but you could do that for a long time and make a great living. So what we'll do on the other side is I'll let you know how Chick fil A's process compares to others. And it may not surprise you that there's certain restaurants where you know, oh, this one's on this road, yeah, not going there, and the other one, oh, I like that one. It's because it's hard to maintain the brand and standard unless you do something like with Chick fil a DoD We'll get to that next. But first, another update for you on trafficking weather right here on news Radio Way forty whas Mayor Craig Greenberg said to join us coming up here at eight o'clock, so stick around for that. Looking forward to talking to the mayor. And there's some really cool things that I'm looking forward to discussing with him that really spotlight how awesome this city of Louisville is. And you know, I know people like to be frank, people like to bitch and complain about a lot of stuff, and I get it, and that doesn't really surprise me at all.
Speaker 1: But I also I.
Speaker 2: Love when people come to Louisville and they realize, wow, this place is actually pretty awesome. Like the soccer team that came in for that match over the weekend. To hear those players with really no expectation as far as what they're going to get from the city of Louisville, to hear them clearly, very genuine talk about how much they enjoyed every bit of what Louisville has to offer with the culture and some of our restaurants and whatnot. You know, I think if more people paid attention to those that come here and visit that really like it and enjoy it, it might make you appreciate living here. And I know there are clearly things that aren't great about this city, but that's everywhere in the world. So anyways, we'll talk to Maya Greenberg coming up here in the eight o'clock hour. I feel like every segment I've had today has been significantly shorter than usual, which I don't know if that's just me rambling on a Friday and not paying as close attention. So I don't have as much time here as I wanted to get to it. But let's just I'll pick up where I left off. We talked about Chick fil A, and really the explanation as to why they're able to maintain such a consistency within their brand and the standard is because they don't let anybody run it unless they have genuinely shown that they're going to be able to keep up what Chick fil A has built, which I believe is a pretty good reputation when it comes to just service, and you know, the food is pretty damn good too. But if you look at other franchises out there that have let other people buy in and run it, I mean, I think the biggest thing is that you can be passive elsewhere, right, Like you can be a passive owner, meaning you're not you're not directly involved, and you know that if you are not, if you're the one that has skin in the game, you've made set investment, but you're not there to oversee it. It's easy for somebody who doesn't have anything really to lose, I mean other than maybe potentially a job, which is something to lose. But you know, it's it's so people with a lot of money by in, but they don't they don't want to run it, you know, rarely. And I could be totally wrong here. I don't know how many people actually work full time at the McDonald's that they own. I would imagine that's rare, but I again, I could that could totally be wrong. But when it comes to McDonald's, you know, the initial investment, you need one point three to two point three million roughly, and you know that's that's that's a lot of money. At Chick fil A you only need ten thousand dollars. But you also don't own anything. You have no you have no equity when you leave. But you can make a really good living if you run those restaurants in a successful we like, in a successful way, like most of them are run. And Subway I haven't had Subway in a long time, and I'm not I'm not trying to insult them by any means, but they've really really struggled with many locations. I mean, they have no real consistency, and it's because they had a low barrier to entry when it comes to being a subway owner, and the brand control with Subway is believed to be declining worse than any as far as just you know, you don't really know what you're gonna get with any of these locations.
Speaker 1: I've got a good breakdown of the sit down restaurants when it comes to like BEEFO.
Speaker 2: Brady's, Buffalo Wild Wings, Applebee's, Hooters, and just fascinating to me. Maybe we'll get to that a little bit later on if we have time, but right now, we got to get to an update on the roadways. Bobby Ellis will tell us how traffic's looking this morning. We'll also hear about the forecast today from Matt Melosovich of WLKY, and then Scott's back for another update on sports, and again no forget. Mary Greenberg said to join us at the beginning of the eight o'clock hour right here on news radio Waight forty whas