Speaker 1: It's so funny when we start to Minnesota Goodbye. This is not a knock on Jenny. She's always got to go to the bathroom, so she always runs out and she's like, I got to go to the bathroom. You and Bailey get started, So let's get started. Remember yesterday we had some technical problems with our equipment and it's a digital recorder and it just ran out a room, or it just stopped on its own, and then we started up again, and then it stopped on its own again.
Speaker 2: Are you looking at away for them?
Speaker 1: Let me look at the waveform and yeah, there is a wave form right now. It's a good sign. Morning Show Squad, don't say my name. I wanted to add another listeners, insightful thoughts, Oh to the other listeners, insightful thoughts on our greatest purpose as humans, discovery and legacy. He defined legacy as procreation and discovery is exploration, growing ourselves and creating joy. Like Jenny, I'm in my thirties, I've been on the fence about having kids. While my upbringing suggested having kids is the default route, I spent a lot of my twenties envisioning what life could be without kids. And but I had imagined wasn't that bad? However, all of that change when my niece was born. As the other listener noted, one of the greatest joys in life is discovery. But what happens when you're thirty. Your back hurts, your hangovers last a lifetime, and you don't even drink. You just had pizza hut, and your years of discovering earth have been made less inquisitive, less imaginative, and less excited about the simple things. Remember when Halloween was fun? What about Christmas or New Year's? Remember when your first thought was seeing a big snowfall, was sledding or a snowball fight? And now it's dreadful? How it's going to make your commute to the office. My wife and I are now expecting our first child, but it isn't the legacy that I'm most excited about. It's discovery, Well, discovery for the kid and a rediscovery for me as I get to watch my child experience the world for the first time and bring that childish excitement and imagination back to things like Halloween, Christmas, New Year's, amusement parks, the zoo, bowling, etc. Seriously, what grown ass person likes to bowl anymore hashtag make Bowling fun Again. I love your email, and I think that's true. I think that you say you're in your thirties now, to me, that's awfully young to be being burnout on things because I think I've kept my I fucking love Christmas. And when my birthday is getting closer and Christmas is getting closer, yeah, I'm excited, right, yeah, because everything about it. I like Christmas in season. I don't like Christmas like shops in July. I don't like go to a mall and go to the Christmas in July store. But when it's December and you got the tree up and there's like rudolph Is on TV and I get to go to the mall and go shopping. I love Christmas. I love my birthday. What are you going to get for me? What are we going to have for dinner on my birthday?
Speaker 3: I feel like it's the magic of those holidays and kind of what this listener is saying that, like they don't have that same joy of discovery that children do.
Speaker 2: I think it's hard, but you can kind.
Speaker 3: Of push yourself to see magic in regular situations, like I mean Christmas isn't necessarily regular, but like I try and push myself to find magic in everyday delights, like riding the giant slide for the first time at the fair, Like that's something that you could be like, well, kids would do it now, but I'm an adult, so I can't have fun anymore.
Speaker 2: You can know you can.
Speaker 1: I will say I get it to a degree. It's like, you know what, it's not new anymore, but I still think you got to go find. And I think that's one of the things that I've kind of like reflected back on previous episodes. I still want to go find and try to do new things, and Susan sometimes does really not want to do new things. And somebody said that I can justify that because Susan spent her twenties and thirties and forties taking care of the kids, making doctor's appointments, so now she wants to relax. And I never really thought about framing it that way. Yeah, but I'm going to only tell you if you are thirty or thirty five and think you're old as balls, you don't know how young you are. And I know that sounds really hard to believe, but coming from somebody I remember sitting at the Timberwolves game one time. I was about thirty five years old, and I was looking around, going, yeah, those women look old. God they're my age. And I was like thirty five and I was looking at some women and some guys and going, yeah, they look old, God they're my age. Do I look that like that? And now I look at a thirty five year old is like not barely out of high school, but you're so young and you don't know it. So do not allow yourself, at thirty five years old to settle into a life of well, I'm old. I might as well not try to learn new things, or go new places or try new things because you are so young. I still think of myself at my age is like definitely young enough to go do things. Like I told Jenny earlier, I said, what do I want to do this weekend? It's a holiday weekend, long weekend. I don't want to just sit. I don't want to go to the fair all three days. I said, I'm going to join a swingers club. And then Jenny started to critique my idea.
Speaker 4: Well, I said, okay, maybe Bailey asked that Susan would be into it. You said, probably not nice. So I also mentioned, you know, I'm sure a lot of clubs have age caps where you know, you have to be a certain age to be into the swingers club. But I'm sure there's also like older swingers clubs you could go to.
Speaker 1: You know, let me know if you know of an older swingers club. And I'll never be able to talk Susan into going, but she'd be very popular at the swingers club because she's still attracted.
Speaker 2: Sure, but you're semi cute.
Speaker 1: Ah, that's the nicest thing you've ever said to me. I'm semi cute.
Speaker 3: I mean you're not ugly. Okay, you just have to make sure your hair is did before you go.
Speaker 1: My hairs did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got to get your head. You've got to get to go to Great.
Speaker 1: Clips later today. Perfect, that's where I wore a hat today because my hair looks like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it looks rough.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I want to know if this is what you're doing on your long weekend. This whole swinger thing is there? Do they have events every day all day every day? Because you got to.
Speaker 2: Fill up your time otherwise, Okay, jas gonna swing.
Speaker 4: Tired after ten minutes, so I don't think you need to worry about every day. You're gonna have to find some other activities.
Speaker 3: Last weekend walks upstairs, walks back downstairs.
Speaker 2: It's like I got a run. I'm so tired.
Speaker 1: I'm tired. I'm laying on the couch in the front in the living room. Everybody else is upstairs, still banging away.
Speaker 4: You hear a bunch of noises and you're like, can you keep it down. I'm trying to take a nap.
Speaker 1: Stop it, h okay. Next one, don't say a name. I'm for just for the I don't know context. It is from a woman. This time. I'm writing in regards to the changes in spouse activity level, which is going with the theme we just talked about. I'm living this currently. My husband has always been a quiet, not very outgoing person, but we used to go to the movies and dinners out, and COVID unfortunately change that drastically for him. Not that he's worried about COVID, but the many months where we stayed at home is giving him reason to stay home more. There are months where we don't go do anything as just us, or even just go out for supper. We have days where we go shopping out of town and eat. But it's different to me than planning a date night out. I have activities I want to go to, some are specifically for couples, and he will not do them. His response is always, you can go alone. Part of the reason you get married is because you like to spend time together. So for me to go alone, I see how it could cause us to grow apart. I don't want to go alone. I find myself signed of my kids up for sports activities. It'll keep us busy on the summer or weekends, just so I have stuff to do or something to get me out of the house. There's not really any point of this, just kind of a commiseration in my frustration you have with Susan. I express my frustration, but I'm not sure of how to fix this, as it needs to come from him and him changing love everyone and the show in general. Thank you, don't say my name? Yeah, And I wonder I've known a lot of women who say that about their husbands. They just don't want to go do anything. They want to stay home and watch World War II documentaries, and they want to stay home and work on their whatever in the garage. And I like to stay home, I really do, but this weekend I don't want to stay home. I can stay home anytime, but I get a three day weekend. What are you doing this weekend, Jenny.
Speaker 4: I'm going to head up to Crosby to just like hang out on a lake and chill out a cabin and that's it. But I do have to be back because I got to work at the State Fair on Monday.
Speaker 1: Oh do you Okay, Bailey? What are you doing this weekend?
Speaker 3: Well, I'll be working at the Renaissance Festival on Saturday and working at the Fair on Sunday and Monday. So that's what I'm doing this well, Ken, working but firing outside of the work. So I'm excited for it. Come to the fair and come see me, Dave, come see me on Sunday or Monday.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's that's not a bad idea because we do love the Renaissance Festival or that too.
Speaker 2: You could come to that too. You could come to both.
Speaker 1: I mean I could. I think I've kind of tapped out of the fair because we went on Saturday. We went again on Sunday. I'll be there tomorrow Wednesday with Treasure Island noon to one and with the station on Thursday from eleven till one. Yeah, I'll hang out afterward because I'm not going to go just and then leave, right, But I do have to slow down with the eating. I have put on five pounds since the fair started.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's the fair.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it doesn't exist like time space doesn't exist during the fair.
Speaker 2: I agree with that, but.
Speaker 1: I also have to recover from that five pounds and I like to stay at my fight and wait, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure, because of all the fighting you're doing. Yeah, to make sure you don't go above that or you're not you're gonna lose all your fights in that weight range.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Jenny. Next one from Ruth they say, just want to say there was a caller that was wondering, what will you do when Dave retires? I wondered the same thing, but then Dave was off recently, and I have to say, Jenny Bailey and vont did an awesome job. That's from Ruth. Well, I hate to hear that. What I really want to hear is that you sucked and it was it's just a travesty of dead air, bad jokes that fell flat and other horrible things. Yeah, that's what I want to hear. But no, seriously, I am, and I'm not lying. I'm happy to know that you guys pull it off when I'm gone, because I know that you can. But I also would not want people to go aw, it's not as good. I'm not going to listen when Dave's not there and then go find another favorite radio show. I want you guys to do well when I'm not here, and I think that you probably do.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean, we leave plenty of dead air, but we're sparkling personalities otherwise, so they get over it.
Speaker 2: I guess I gotcha.
Speaker 1: Do you want me to turn that down? Jenny? You got it? Jenny is using the volume control sliders as we speak. Thank you, Ruth. I think that you know when I do retire. Somebody asked the other day on no Phone screen or Friday, what are you going to do? I said, I don't care. I know what's going to happen on the show. I don't care because I'll be gone the last thing I'm going to worry about. But I think that probably what they'll do is the three of you would probably continue the show. I don't know, or.
Speaker 2: They'll just blow up the radio. It won't exist anymore.
Speaker 1: I don't think they would do that now because I think what the problem is in hiring an all new shows. They got to start from scratch, Yeah, they really, and starting from scratch in this day and age in radio is really difficult, and because you have to cut because first of all, I mean, between you and me, radio still is thriving and doing really well, but not as well as it did when it was the only medium out there. You know, a generation ago, it was radio and TV and your own music, your CD collection. Yeah then, and now there's so much, I mean, there's so much that competes with radio. That radio is still thriving, but not necessarily growing because it's hard to get people that don't listen to the radio to listen to the radio. So in other words, if they got of everybody on this morning show and brought in you know, Zippy and Peanut in the Morning, they're really funny, I made that show up, then Zippy and Peanut in the Morning would have to start from scratch, right, And they don't want to do that.
Speaker 3: And I've listened to shows where they like have either completely changed their format, like podcasting where they're like, Okay, we're done talking about that one thing that you have grown accustomed to, and now we're going to start talking about this completely different thing.
Speaker 2: And that's hard.
Speaker 3: But like, I've also listened to shows where they have completely different hosts one day and then the next day is brand new people. And you're like, well, I don't like these people.
Speaker 1: Tell me what you mean. I'm not sure what you mean.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean I don't want to like name the station, but they had hosts that left here in town. Here in town, okay, host that left, and then we're replaced by two brand new hosts.
Speaker 1: I know what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: And I was like, Okay, i didn't love the host that left, so I'm going to like this new show.
Speaker 2: And then I don't.
Speaker 1: Oh killies.
Speaker 2: I don't know either of them, and I don't know.
Speaker 3: It seems like, like you said, you have to start from scratch, so you have to learn to become friends with these people. Yeah, and I think that takes a lot of work. So, like people have established they are friends with you, even if it's a parasocial relationship, they are friends with you. You are their friend, you are their dad. And so like if you left, and then everybody left it was brand new people. They'd be like, that's not my dad.
Speaker 1: I don't like him any no, And that is an absolutely true phenomenon in radio. But I think it also goes to a circle of friends. So let's say you and I and Jenny and Vaughnt and whatever, and we're all like, you know, and maybe Rich and Fallon and whatever. We're all in a circle of friends. Well, here comes this new guy, Brent. Brent comes in and we're a little bit like, we're observing, we're watching. We don't like Brent yet. Yeah, but after we meet Brent a few times and realize that he's pretty funny and he's really generous and he loves to listen to your store, now you start to like Brent. But at first we're cautious. And I know that happens whenever ever, ever we bring somebody new on the show, people don't like them. And I always tell new people in the show, people are going to hate you at first, and people grow to like you. And I know this too. When people leave Minnesota, they'll move to Sacramento, or they'll move to Dallas, and they'll be like all the radio stations here suck, so I listen to you guys, Well, it's because you're familiar with us, and so familiarity and I think that's probably It's funny that you didn't like the two original hosts of the show even though you knew them. Well, yes, were they somewhat like they had very high opinions of themselves.
Speaker 3: Maybe I think they just I don't know. I didn't enjoy their banter, and the new people, I don't enjoy their banter either because I don't know them and they know each other.
Speaker 2: So it's just weird.
Speaker 1: And I think sometimes that's what radio people are bad at, is they will banter between themselves and forget that there are people listening. When Fallon and Steve would fill in when I was gone, I was concerned because they were both newish on the show and I would listen, I'd be like, the guys are talking only to each other. You're forgetting that there are people listening. You've got to remember is this interesting to the people that are listening? Rather than when I would coach radio shows because I don't anymore because a lot of them don't appreciate it, and it gets really frustrating when I work, really hard to spend three hours working on a morning show and I coach them and the next week they're doing the exact goddamn same things wrong.
Speaker 3: You're like, God, day did I try?
Speaker 1: So I don't really do that much anymore, but I would remind people when you're talking, you've got to make sure that you realize there are people listening. So you either got to say once in a while like well what do you think? Or send me an email, or this show is about you and it's got to be something. So Bailey and I sat and just talked about how much we'd love the Twilight Zone. Hm, it'd be interesting for thirty seconds the tops And if you don't like Twilight Zone, then you'd be like, they're not including me in this conversation. So we talk about things that everybody wants to talk about, like the State Fair. Yeah, because nearly everybody wants talk about the State Fair.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and especially in the last like well a few days since it's been around. But people are hyped about telling you how the storm was delayed opening all that is, and I wanted to know that information myself too. I was curious.
Speaker 1: Okay, we got time for one more on the Minnesota goodbye, and this is from Amanda, so she says we can talk about that. On the I'm Still Fun podcast, Jenny was daydreaming about moving to Seattle. I lived in Portland for two years and several other states since then. I'm considering moving back. What qualities of Minnesota keep you all there? I I feel like we might have read this one, but I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: I don't remember it.
Speaker 1: All we know this, we all know the summers are great? What else? What keeps you there? If you have an awesome job in a different state, would you move away from your family and friends? Have so much fun at the fair. It is a hug, and when it pulls away, you're handed to Pronto. That was really good, Bailey, So what keeps you here? I'm gonna be honest with you. I love Minnesota, but the winters are getting harder and harder. I love being outdoors. I love summer activities. I love summer, spring and fall activities. I love hiking, I love motorcycle riding. So the winters are long, cold and dark, and as I realize I want to live my life the way I want, Minnesota is not always that accommodating, not at all, Jenny, what do you think.
Speaker 4: The only thing that keeps me here is Andrew for the most part, and then this job, because if I could pick up and have a job in a different city, I would. I don't love the Twin Cities very much anymore. I did love it, but I've been here long enough and I like change sometimes, and so personally, I would love to just like be somewhere where there's mountains. That's no secret that I like to hike and snowboard, and I just like hate not having easy access to certain things like that year round. It only happens a couple times a year when I make it out on a vacation.
Speaker 1: So what keeps you here? Bailey?
Speaker 3: I actually left and then came back because I like it so much here. I like the arts. There's so much arts and culture here. It's super diverse. I love the people. I love living in Minneapolis and the Twin Cities in general. Obviously, my family is here. I coach speech and debate and my speech team is here. Yes, I could like get up and go to a different place, but I would miss it here so much because I just.
Speaker 2: Love being a citizen of the Twin Cities. It just fills me up. I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get that it is. There's a lot here. It is a really big city, vibrant with a vibrant without a lot of the big city issues. Yeah, this is the biggest city I've ever lived in, But yeah, I like it here. I've also lived in Phoenix. Phoenix was the opposite. It was too hot. It was like oppressively hot to my to the year where you couldn't go outside because it was too hot. Colorado is just about perfect. If I could live somewhere else, it'd probably be Colorado. Mountana is beautiful, but it's a little bit too cold. Seattle has become like a weird city that I've heard that you don't really want to live there. But that's too bad, because I think Seattle is really beautiful.
Speaker 2: And I was just there.
Speaker 1: I don't know, you're part of the problem in Seattle with people like the problem.
Speaker 4: It's it's the same thing though, of people saying that Minneapolis is a bad city.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you live there.
Speaker 1: It's different, a right. Send your emails to Ryan Show at KDWB dot com.