Speaker 1: Welcome to episode five fifty nine five and is Thursday, July second. I'm your host, Critic Goldstein, joined as usual by Patrick Dubuque and Jeffrey pattern Ostro. Where are we on the banter front, gentlemen.
Speaker 2: I've just been watching more of the World Cup. It's pretty much what I do.
Speaker 1: I am. It wasn't a red card, jeff So, I.
Speaker 2: Was actually going to bring that up because I am not, you know, as I have followed soccer for a long time.
Speaker 1: I am.
Speaker 2: I guess one of the people somewhat in charge of a national supporters group. I'm in the West app group for it, And but I don't like the gate keep this stuff. The World Cup's fun. It's good that, like, you don't have to commit to anything for soccer past this summer. I don't expect you to pick up like a Premier League team or an MLS team or whatever. But it does kind of annoy me when like Colin Cowher is out here talking about soccer without like knowing the rules at all.
Speaker 1: Like, right, it's not it's not the fans, but like Colin Coward is not a fan, right, He's he's pretending to be a source of of knowledge.
Speaker 2: Sure, but like it was it was. Look, I would not have called it a red card, but it is red cardibal, I guess because like intent doesn't matter in this case, it's where are the studs? And is there enough force?
Speaker 1: Okay, so I thought, I mean I and again this is something I don't know. I thought intent does matter in some capacity, and also like it.
Speaker 2: If they weren't, if they were going to give him like three games for violent it's not violent contact content conduct, sorry, but it's it's you know, it's reckless. It is you gotta be in short, it's high up on the leg. You got to know where your studs are. Like I would not personally have given it as a red card, but once they went to bar, like didn't slow motion, it was going to be a red under their rules.
Speaker 1: Okay. I I just it felt a lot like the flagrant one versus Flagrant two in the NBA, which is like intent also doesn't matter, right to be a flagrant want one, but it kind of does. I know I'm going off memory. I think it does for flagrant two or ken sorry doesn't have to, but it can. And like it was definitely a car right, like it's yeah, it was reckless.
Speaker 2: Sure, right and once you just once you go to review it, you have to look at it and be like, Okay, the studs are high on like if it's a tackle, and I know it's not a tackle, but yeah, if the studs are that high on the ankle with that much force, it's going to generally get called as a red card. I didn't think it was a red card, but I think once they went to the once var called him over, he didn't really have a choice. But yeah, I don't know, Like it's just like I get it right, Like Belegan's having a great World Cup. He's gonna be out for Belgium. Now it's it sucks, but that's I guess that's the hardest part, right, Like the US can take me being a true soccer country. Now they've been screwed over by the refs in a major tournament, right, Like that's that they They've never been good enough to actually get screwed over by the rest of a major tournament.
Speaker 1: Now, was like, I'm coming at this. I honestly like, I don't even I root for Argentina. So I have since I was since my dad brought me home a body stud to Jersey when I was very little, Like I so there's this is not like homersm for me. I just it's accommodation of not fully knowing the rules to you can look at it, it didn't feel that way.
Speaker 2: You can look at it in comparison to the messy tackle in the first game too, right, like where he comes in studs up and I guess like that, I think that should have been a yellow too, Like there wasn't a lot of force behind it. It was just it was clumsy more than violent, which I think was true to an extent with the balligan.
Speaker 1: But I do get they don't want people going in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like it's like it's like, you know, it's like a it's not really a stomp, right, but it kind of.
Speaker 3: Like it was.
Speaker 1: It was just it was a stomp in terms of what actually happened. But like he he wasn't. They were trying to do something else and got like tangled, right, And you'd like you'd like.
Speaker 2: The referees little more discretion. Especially that's what that's where I can well cup where they're not calling, they're really letting them play. Yeah this world generally, Yeah.
Speaker 1: The US players got we're getting mugged out there. Yeah, and it was kind of like, oh, they're letting.
Speaker 2: Him play, okay, letting him play right, But like it's again if it's like body to body for the most part, like people have been coming through the backs of guys. Like you've seen a lot of like midfielders and fours come through the back of other midfielders in the middle like try to get in the ball, and usually like if they if you come through the back of guy, even if you've managed to like loose the ball and you knock them over, it's generally called yes. I found they're just not calling they're letting them. They're letting them play pretty physical in this World Cup, which is fine as long as it's consistent, right, I mean, but overall it's been like all these games have been great outside of frank Sweden, but like all these knockout games have been like just dramatic, generally well played. I mean, I know Paraguay Germany wasn't it was traumatic to watch, but it was like it was uh engaged, it was engrossing in a way. Yeah, Like it's not even I'm not even saying that it's for this, it's for the sickos. Right, it's like to go soccer. Yeah, in a lot of ways, like it's they call it hair and ball, but like it's just Paraguay is going to make this.
Speaker 1: Door was pretty It was over quickly.
Speaker 2: It was over quickly. The Mexico didn't play great, Like had some chances to get back in it late in the first and just didn't really. But yeah, I'm a little in the an. I'm a little disappointed at how much it's playing to chalk, even though the chalk is generally taking unusual ways to get there in a lot of cases.
Speaker 1: Look at looking at you Belgium.
Speaker 2: Okay, at England, looking at you England, England. Yeah, uh so we'll see.
Speaker 1: We're gonna have to wake up Patrick. Patrick does not Patrick does not consume soccer. Patrick, do you have any panther.
Speaker 3: I'm going to provide an antidote for your guys' discussion and return us to a couple of pieces of old favorites, coffee and seltzer chat. Okay, First of all, I just want to report that my mother and law gave me a mug which was entitled mug for a Father's Day. That's a self heating Yeah, mataining, which means that my instant coffee is always the perfect temperature. I don't know if I'm appreciating coffee with Mug the way.
Speaker 2: That she maybe I did enjoy. On Monday, Patrick's like, well, I'm not taking the kids to camp, so I can start a little early. But I'm well, I'm fine, I gotta make coffee, and Patrick's like, so do I And I almost text right about like yours is going to be done before mine.
Speaker 3: Patrick, Well, I could have been early and just put it in Mug. I forgot the other thing. I take less pleasure in reporting that there is a I've tried a couple of new Seltzer flavors this week. Waterloo has come out. I know, Waterloo being perhaps the least popular Seltzer company among the group, and I see it.
Speaker 2: I think I've gotten it once or twice, but yeah, it's pretty far down order for me.
Speaker 3: It's the most selter like, it's got the most flavor.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's complicated because that's mixing an actual juice.
Speaker 3: I know it is. Yeah. Yeah. So the first one I tried was a melon mix that had watermelon candle open and honey downey.
Speaker 1: Do you thank you, Jeff, Thank you, Jeff.
Speaker 3: That was a correct flavor.
Speaker 1: Listeners could not see. But Jeff, I wouldn't call it total disgust, but it was a combination of disgust and disappointment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was some brief confused asperation.
Speaker 3: In minds is that it was a buy three, get three free situation.
Speaker 1: And so I a melon, get three different ones.
Speaker 3: I did because I don't I don't want to get the three of the same ones. I'll get sick of them. I always a variety is important, and so I'm not going to buy the melon one again.
Speaker 2: But I mean, halfway through the canon one can of melon, I would be sick of it.
Speaker 3: So it's it's definitely one of those ones where you have to drink it cold and FI gets.
Speaker 2: Warm thrown out just you know, drink warm seltzer.
Speaker 3: Well, because I'm slow nurse things, you know, I'm working.
Speaker 1: He needs he needs a mug for seltzer.
Speaker 3: But man.
Speaker 1: Can.
Speaker 3: But the flavor I have now it's called banana blaring berry bliss.
Speaker 2: No, absolutely, this is the must it is.
Speaker 3: That was Pat Patrickson Banana berry bliss. So it's strawberry orange and banana.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's that's okay. I mean that's a normal combination of flavors, but I don't want it for Seltzer.
Speaker 2: I want banana flavored Seltzer.
Speaker 3: Well it is very banana forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not that bad, pretty, I will tell you this. Well, while we're I wasn't playing on talking about this, but we on my vacation, we ordered the children a lot of smoothies because it was just like a lower whatever. They were into the smoothies. It's got some fruit in it, it's vacation whatever. Easy, it's easy. My younger child, for whatever reason, just opened up with a banana smoothie, which I.
Speaker 3: Was like, they're all bananas movies. No No. It was usually like is the reagent of smoothie? No?
Speaker 1: No, But it was like a virgin dackery kind of thing. So it was it was just like strawberry you can so what right? Yeah? And I was like, oh, that's not an order I would ever have thought to make. I really liked it, very good, really good, and it has resulted in my uh my fortieth birthday is coming up later this month, and my wife said, for me, even though it's really for the children, has now acquired a smoothie machine. Yes, a one off product that will take up not desk space, but counter space until it and it takes up shelf space somewhere else. Gage I'm sounding upset about it. I'm not upset.
Speaker 2: You're going to enjoy it for like a couple of months and then get bored with.
Speaker 1: It exactly, But I'm looking forward to the enjoying it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I'm honestly pretty I really enjoyed the banana aspect of it. So I don't know that I would necessarily hate this, but I don't want it in a seltzer.
Speaker 2: I feel like to like, obviously then it's all natural flavors or whatever, but I feel like the chemical they used for the banana is like very It doesn't like it's it's like very distinctively.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, I mean baa, it's not right.
Speaker 2: It's identifiably banana, but it's not actually banana, right, it's run banana thing.
Speaker 3: It's runs yellow banana. Yeah, yes, yes, And I don't mind that foot it's candy. It's not banana.
Speaker 1: But like the shirt, all right, they're calling it the longest banter of all time.
Speaker 2: It really isn't.
Speaker 1: It's up there, but it didn't we didn't even get into our prepod discussion of the minions. I'm sorry to.
Speaker 3: The Banana of movies.
Speaker 1: At this point, I feel like, are they banana? What's happening anyway? Our first segment Willson possibly a bit too lighthearted a title for the content, but I go with what's in front of me. I'm not fully Ron Burgundy, but close enough. Wilson Contreras has gotten into it again. I will tell you the sequence of events here was that in my experience of this was hearing about it from a group chat. Yeah, and be the group chat kind of being like, we understand Wilson Contreras is playing with his emotions. He always plays with emotions out his sleeve. His emotions are the most right now because of what's going on in Venezuela. Certainly understanding that.
Speaker 2: Ejected from the previous game as well, arguing, oh.
Speaker 1: I had missed I had missed that so and and that is certainly understandable. They were like that being said, like he's now charged the mound, like this guy really always gets into it, and and I will I you know, I said kind of like I wonder what caused it? Like what what was said to happen here. Uh turns out Wilson Contreras was not really in the rock in this one. I mean like maybe don't charge the mound and throw your helmet, but also not a respectful turn of phrase from Cade Cavali of the Nationals, who had struck him out. He said, sit down, boy, yes, was would anyone like to come.
Speaker 2: I don't want to be like you can't do that, white baby, but like you guy, like outside of everything else, right, You've been in the league for like three months and Wilsonaturius is like a ten years multiple All Star games, Like, there are rules for this, right, I really I don't want to. Don't we get into the you know, the overtone.
Speaker 1: I don't want to come off as as excusing away the overtones or anything like that because they're not like he. The reality is he has to know better ahead of this, right. I want to put that first and foremost. I can understand a scenario where if he doesn't know better, and again he can't. He can't not know better, that's inexcusable, right, But if he doesn't, like just a exclamatory like sit down, you know, like yourself to your to yourself kind of thing to pump yourself up. I can, I can halfway understands that, sure, right halfway. But to Jeff's point, you've been you've barely been here, well like you don't you don't get to yell that. You don't get to yell that to somebody, especially loud enough to someone else that's they can hear it, right like, And it wasn't. I'm saying I can halfly understand to yourself, but it was not to himself.
Speaker 2: No, Like I think I believe wasn't have to know the content wasn't terrist is going to sit down, well maybe not as quickly, ask what was the the was it?
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's skyper Cruco, but the sit down meet yeah yeah, right, like they'll they'll do the exclamatory. But if you're the pitcher saying it to the batter you just did, you're gonna start some ship.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it was like one of those he uh, I think if he got up like two there's like two zero in the count. There was a close pitch that got called a ball, they challenged it, got it overturned, and Coturis's is like, oh yeah, okay, sure he's like looking at the screen eye on top of the down five and then he eventually gets him looking on I think a breaking ball at that edge his own and like it's like it's a slow strike call night no, but not even that, but just like and like he is. I think it was three two. So he starts kind of taking a step towards first right, and he gets run up like and like, and then he says sit down, boy, and like conturist like kind of does he doesn't, like, are you talking to me? Yeah? And I think I think he says it again. Oh, I think there's this like I think the conturist thinks he said thought he started just like a tire from like that and then it kicks off right, And generally, I.
Speaker 3: Think you should get out of the habit of calling thirty four year old men boy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I get it he's from Oklahoma, right, I'm sure this is.
Speaker 3: Just like this. Yeah, And sometimes the whole concept of you know, you should think this is a lot of people hopefully know better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I was. I think it's it's just I don't know. Perhaps I'm being nice, right, and that's fine, but like I think it's more a turn of phrase than than like.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure he has been going back to high school or what.
Speaker 1: The turn of phrase has a history, right, That is the part I don't want. I'm not excusing it. I want to be very clear. I think I don't think he was saying like I don't think he was trying to belittle him other than like in the competitive arena, right of just saying like I got you, go sit down whatever.
Speaker 2: But like again, yeah, like you, I don't I guess on some level you can be unaware of this if you're a baseball player from Oklahoma, but and like look, but.
Speaker 1: Also like being from Oklahoma is inform me and it's you know that.
Speaker 3: Probably seeing some people say it ironically exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so look, obviously a bad situation. Cavali did come out and apologize after. I guess Paul Toboni, the head, the head of operations, I don't know his official title, the Nationals talk to him. So Bonie also talked to the media. Cavali's talked to the media. Well, I guess he apologized to the media. I think at the time I had seen he had not contacted which he probably should yea, I shouldn't say, probably he definitely should.
Speaker 3: This is if I see him, I will make sure he knows that's what he said.
Speaker 1: If I see him, yeah, you're playing again at the time phone number from somebody at.
Speaker 2: The time again, they are playing again, that he can walk over to the locker room by the next that's right, it wasn't playing again.
Speaker 1: But if I see him, it's tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Maybe he has. Yeah, but at the time he had not, and he said, Uh, I hope he hears this and understands that this is not intended at all. I think he knows that. But if I see him, I want to make sure he knows that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I think this is this was a better apology than I expected, or a better statement of understanding. Maybe not an apology, but then I expected. I wouldn't say it was ideal. But perhaps my expectations are just that low. I think it gets uncomfortable when we talked when there's a focus on intent, right, like Cavali said, there was no ill intention. I think I've used this before, but like I don't care if you drop a vase or throw a vase. The vase is broken, right, like you got to put it together, and then you put it together and it's not whole, right, Like you're going to be missing pieces the damage, the damage is done. He did also focus on the damage in the longer statement, right, he talked about being hurt thinking about a black child in DC who would be a fan of the Nationals, a fan of him, and letting that person down. I think that outward focus is missing from the vast majority of these kinds of statements of understanding. I don't know what else to call it, right.
Speaker 3: But.
Speaker 1: So to my mind, like even just getting to that was better than most. Again, I'm not saying it's all the way.
Speaker 2: There, but I like peak for Armstrong did right.
Speaker 3: We're gender in because I think one of the funny things about this is that this apology and a later apology will reach in the show both use the same exact expression, which is this will never happen again, right, which is at least something that you can now you can now verify that that is something you can actually confirm, as opposed to if somebody were hurt, then you know, then I feel bad for that, Right, there's some sort of quantifiable, confirmable you know, you know, reaction, right, Jared Duran did not say that and then did it again.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I do think you know, there's a lot there is a lot of focus on you know, himself, like I don't you know, I don't want people thinking this about me, which is understandable, right, But the fact that there was the outward focus of of harm right caused or or even potentially caused, and and you know, he he came out and said there's a history behind the word and and like, I didn't intend it, but it's there. It's more understanding than you get from from a lot of these people. Was kind of the way I saw it. And and maybe that's on my part, kind of the bigotry of lowered expectations in this case. But it does seem like he was trying right. And to your point Patrick saying like it'll never happen again, is we'll see, certainly. But it's at least aspirationally towards growth.
Speaker 3: Right. It's a confirmation that he accepts that what he did was wrong and not that he just got got right. Yeah, it turns out that means a lot these days. Yeah, I know, uh so that I don't know anything else we want to talk about.
Speaker 2: It contrasts having like the phenom of his career, like depending on how you I guess, depending on how you judge his defense in Chicago. But yeah, he's having a absolutely phenomenal season, and it feels like we mostly there's two things going on here, right, Like he has been at the center of like even before this, right, the stuff with Milwaukee and then you know, the Red Sox, not the Red Sox being bad and being bad in a way that that sort of overrides anything like the story of the Red Sox is not going to include Wilson Contrasts just having the best seat of his career. Right, it's going there's too much else going on.
Speaker 3: No, there's too much dysfunction that you know, the part of Wilson, this part of Wilson Contraras will be the storyline of Wilson Contreras this year.
Speaker 2: Right, because it also kind of fits in with the you know, the story of him getting into it with the Brewers and again not his fault getting into it with the Nats is more endemic of what's going on in Boston this year. Writ large, I think than you're having a nine hundred ohps.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just to speak to your point on the best year of his career, he has not had the best the most war already in terms of reference for he's at three point two in eighty three games. He has done that before. Actually, he had three in eighty four games in twenty twenty four with Saint Louis. But his top is four point two in twenty twenty one in Chicago.
Speaker 2: That was the year JD. Martinez is like broke his wrist too, right, I think that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he it is by far like he has got a one fifty five ops plus That would be by far his the highest of his career and against eighty three games if he stays healthy. Not not a given, but if he stays healthy, this is very likely going to be the best of his career. And again you could argue I'm using reference bar his his catching defense was not always well thought of. It's possible that four point two for his his top mark thus far over states somewhat. If you want to factor in the defense, let's go to our second segment. It's not so peachy. Atlanta is backsliding, yeah, I mean he continues to be back in years.
Speaker 2: Right, Like I think some of this was there's like the idea of you know, oh, Atlanta's regressing. Well, it' supposed to aggression towards the mean, and I don't know, like the mean's gonna be pretty loud to me.
Speaker 3: And yeah, well they won the game by more than two runs. They did for the first time since June sixth, so.
Speaker 1: They they are still in the lead in the NL East. That lead has dwindled to two and a half games over Philadelphia. I don't think we we've talked about we update the divisional status fairly frequently. Whatever I feel like I said at some point, like I don't think Philly is out of it for the division hunt. I don't remember if we talked about something where we said like who would you rather be and and one of us might have picked. It might have been Jeffrey picking Philly or something like that.
Speaker 3: I I.
Speaker 1: I think I'd rather be Philly at.
Speaker 2: This I think right now I would.
Speaker 1: I think it's easy to say when they're backsliding in the ways that would concern you, right because it's Bryce Elder not outperforming.
Speaker 2: It's if you told me halfway through the season the Brewers were two and a half games up on the Phillies and be like, what happened to the Mets. Okay, that kind of makes that that kind of makes like it makes it's like, this is a reasonable projection based on what you knew about these teams going into the season. Right, Yes, it's just how they've gotten there is very but it's a long season. Like order of operations does matter to an extent.
Speaker 3: Koda has been function tied, yeah.
Speaker 2: And I think that's and again they don't. I mean, I'm sure Coda thinks that like Bryce Elder isn't actually good, which Bryce Elder now isn't actually good. You know, Raynaldo Lopez starts back in the rotation, so I know he's like piggybacking. It was him and Hurston Waldrip last night. Grant Holmes is hanging around too, and has been.
Speaker 1: He's been sliding from from a decent start. It's also the thing is it's not just the pitching, right right. Yeah, Don Smith has been he was very good. Yeah, for a while he has not been good.
Speaker 2: Baldwin hasn't been good since he came back from his injury, like.
Speaker 1: Michael Harris has been struggling of late. Matt Olsen, I'm not worried about NodD Olsen. He's been fine. But he was like, you know, one eighty ops plus territory and he's down to one thirty nine, right, Like, right, maybe one eighty is overstating, but even one sixty five, right, there's a big difference in that that quality play. Again, I'm not worried about madd Olson. Drake Baldwin set the world on fire and got hurt, came back homeward and then has been bad. Yeah, And again I don't think Drake Baldwin is going to be bad. Like I don't think Drake Baldwin is bad. It's a difference between some of these And and Bryce Eld, the Bryce Elder kind of scenario, but it is a little bit cubssh where like the whole lineup was producing yeah, and then it wasn't. And again, the numbers still look pretty good because of how long everyone was producing, but they're going through a stretch where basically on one is is doing Now.
Speaker 2: The Cubs are just Dansby Swanson, so it's fine.
Speaker 1: And and Austin Riley was playing the role of Alex Bregman where yeah, is not producing.
Speaker 3: But brave said said at this point, who was still essential is still yeah, three hundred and three forty four five July.
Speaker 1: First, it's July soon.
Speaker 2: And first, Matt Olsen has been fine, Like he's been fine.
Speaker 1: No, he's he's been good, but he was fantastic. Oh you mean over the I looked at like the last two weeks or whatever, it's seemed the ops in the seven hundreds. It's fine.
Speaker 2: So yeah, Austin Riley has been has slugged two fifty in the last month. Mike strampsk gives slugged two fourteen in the last month. Dominic Smith has slug two fifty in the last month and has been way worse than that. Hasn't played a time.
Speaker 1: But yeah, do I get to victory has on Kim at this point, I don't.
Speaker 3: I mean, nobody is an thirty six hitter.
Speaker 1: No, obviously not. And it's it's I guess I shouldn't. It's eighty two plate appearances. But like, no, my issue was they re signed him at a at a four million dollar rate, like I couldn't believe. I couldn't believe he declined his option for sixteen million dollars, and then I really couldn't believe that he got more money plant hit and I don't obviously I don't think he's this bad, but like he can't hit.
Speaker 2: Don Smith last year with the Giants hit two eighty four, three thirty three, four seventeen in two hundred and twenty real appearances.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's not bad.
Speaker 2: This year for the Braves, he's hit two seventy nine, three twenty two, four fifteen in two hundred and three plate appearances. He's just gotten there in a.
Speaker 1: In a much more bifurcated way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like the whole team has been by, Like it's it is rare that everybody is over their head for two months and then everybody is under their head underwater for a month, right, Like it's just very unusual.
Speaker 1: It really is.
Speaker 2: The Cubs it is experience customies at like four different times.
Speaker 3: And what's funny is that usually if you look at DRC by month, generally, what you find is that everybody is exactly the same every month, Like it goes from one oh three to one oh one to ninety nine or something. The Braves have the worst DRC in baseball since June first, it's eighty five. Like it's not just that things aren't falling in.
Speaker 2: They're not I mean, they're striking out a lot.
Speaker 3: Austin Riley, you know something needs to be done at this point.
Speaker 2: Well, he's got a lot of money coming Patrick, he's ninety nine. Yeah, I was.
Speaker 1: I literally was saying the same thing in the same one.
Speaker 3: It is seriously, Zeno's paradox for War. He's going from six to three to one and a half and now he'll be lucky to get two point seven. Like it's it's kind of incredible. He has twenty two point six war for his career and he might just stop there. That might be it. It doesn't. He seems totally lost. It's hard is getting like this guy like three years.
Speaker 2: In a row, someone like Riley right, Like thinking back to him as a prospect, and he was a very good prospect. The questions were sort of like can you play third? And will you make enough contact? And I do wonder if he got there, he got like the whatever coaching and strength training athletic games you can get in your early twenties, and now he's just losing them and going back to that guy they can't really hit or play third, Like he's just an early peak athleticism guy and he doesn't have the other skills to sort of ameliorate the loss of athleticism. I haven't looked at like his, and he's been He's had some significant injuries in here too. I don't think you can handway of that as well. I have not looked at the.
Speaker 3: Well, almost everybody who finishes twenty nine is yeah, fair enough. The thing is that I like, the first thing that I thought of seeing this is Morgan Ensburg. Yeah. Yeah, and Morgan Ininsburg made the all starting team at twenty nine. Of course he got started later, so so late. Yeah, but yeah, he was done at thirty.
Speaker 2: It does happen, right, Yeah, I mean he's lost. I'm just looking. He's lost a mile and a half off his average exit and too off his max. Although, man, he's not pulling the ball in the air as much. His own contact's been pretty I mean, his swing decisions have collapsed. He's swinging way less in the zone and chasing more. That's probably the main It all.
Speaker 1: Sounds like leaking swing speed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then yeah, his sprint speed has been pretty consistent. No swing I know, I'm looking at the other athletic markers. His swing speed's been pretty consistent. His arm strength, I mean has been.
Speaker 1: I say that his bats seventy five point six. That's very high. Eighty nine percent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean it might just be like he's it could be a pitch treck thing. It could just be a weird two months, right, But the trend lines.
Speaker 1: Seventy six in twenty twenty three, which is I think the first year they tracked anything. And it's also less stated. It wasn't in every stadium, but like it's barely fallen off, yeah at all, But it seems like that's what it That's what it sounds.
Speaker 2: Like, right. I assume he's getting worse results on contact because he's swinging at the worst sketches.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Like you know, you look at the Savant's new swing missing because that's when you start to maybe see a see a groove swing where you're just swinging where it's going to be in hope the ball happens to be there. He's below average, but it's not terrible, Like he's two ninety third out of three hund fifty seven. So it's it's bad.
Speaker 2: That's bad. Yeah, it's not.
Speaker 3: Terrible, but it's not like it's not like another guy we're going to talk about here a little bit.
Speaker 2: But you can get away with that if you have like he has merely above average ex velocities now, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, the poster boy for the bad swing. You know, results good enough at the time, it's going to be, you know, Brett Rucker. Will we talk about Milton But.
Speaker 1: This is a little far afield. But I was looking at Attolis Garcia a while back, for I honestly, it's inexplicit, inexptable.
Speaker 3: But he.
Speaker 1: He's another guy who lost a couple of ticks of bat speed. Or I should say he's a guy who lost a couple of ticks of batspeed. Riley really hasn't, but was still above average. He produced above average exit velocities, right, he lost some on his exit velocities, but even his ninetieth percentile was over one oh six, which is above average. Right, Like one oh five is is around average for ninetieth percentile ev and like, but the results just tanked anyway, and like I understand why he was no longer an all star, right, like the falloff from there. But it seemed odd to me that based on his results between how you know, he was still pulling the ball enough, he was still pulling the ball in the air, somewhat like he was still like the nith evs weren't bad. There wasn't something that would have said, if you looked at that part of the process data, here's a collapse. Even his plate discipline stuff wasn't notably different. But I guess it was just enough. Maybe he's hitting it to the wrong part of this.
Speaker 2: I suspect what we are going to find, and I would also suspect teams probably have already sliced and dice this data enough to get there, is that these extreme pulled fly ball guys, and Riley is one of them. Like it's really like it's a Goldilocks kind of skill set, right, Like it really outside of like ESOC Parades, who has been a thorn in Craig's side for half a decade now, Like I mean they're like again, it's like it's an like ESTOC Parades is an extreme skill set, extreme outlier in the same way like each or not the same way, but the same kind of.
Speaker 1: Thing like you in terms of being an outlier, sort of.
Speaker 2: The being an outlier right Edwin Diaz's fastball like that kind of like weird confluence of traits. Austin Riley just hits the ball hard in the air, right, and if he's like I haven't had the average I don't love average launch, but like his average lunch is actually nineteen now, which might be too high, right, Like that might be part of it. He is hitting the ball on the ground war as well, like enough, well, but.
Speaker 1: That means also by the way, if he's hitting the ball in the ground war and his average launches nineteen, that means he's throwing too high on the other end to get tonight.
Speaker 2: That means he's again he's not in the Goldilock zone anymore. And that might be you know, he doesn't have the quick twitch athleticism to squipt that like a hand. Eye could be like it again, little stuff right, like maybe his eyesight is going a little bit, like just enough.
Speaker 1: So we go back to him full eye test in spring training, please, and like.
Speaker 2: Maybe something that wouldn't even necessarily show up. It could be like just reaction time. Like they're so like high end. They do more high end athletic testing to like draft guys now too, And maybe the Braves have more information about this than we do. I would hope they do. But if something where it's not where there is a clear decline in like KPIs, but it's underpinning a larger decline in production than you think. Then you would think, and there's some sort of the way these skills are interacting, right, it's causing that decline. These the way these the way this decline in skills or these declines in skills are interacting, are having outsides effect on the outputs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, would be my something.
Speaker 2: Maybe we do have that data and we're just not looking at it the right way. But I assume teams have more specific swing decision and outcome data related to the swing, and I do.
Speaker 1: I would buy that even little deteriorations across a number of these things just you know, add up to a big deterioration overall. But I can't I can't find like when I was looking at Yeah, I can't find it with like Garcia. And again I'm not saying I think Garcia should have been his all star self, but it was like enough to not be basically I know, he got a ten million dollar contract this year because it's the Phillies, but like he's basically cooked, like in my view, and like I don't think he should be cooked. He should be like a guy who floats around the league for a while, and I don't know that he will be after this deal. I think he's kind of I mean, look, I don't know. Max Kepler got another contract, so maybe I'm wrong, but it just seems like he's fully cooked and like the data kind of says like there should be more there than is there. But but I look at him and I'm like, no, that's right, Like look, mid six hundreds or worse ops is about right actually for what I'm looking at. I don't know, it's just weird. I don't know, is there anything else? I did just want to know while we're while we're talking about Atlanta, Holy shit, this bullten man. They're really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Older is not giving them as many leads to protect.
Speaker 1: But no, I mean, but like Iglesias, Lee Suarez, I know Suarez is hurt, Tyler Kinley, like Dylan Dodd, all these guys.
Speaker 2: I guess my question would be like, how how worried are you about the Braves?
Speaker 1: That is that is a good good Patrick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're what fifteen or sixteen? They won yesterday, so they're sixteen over. Obviously, the Cubs are on the upswing right now, and the Phillies are both ten or eleven over now at this point, I think again, you're in a situation where it's hard to see the Braves not making the playoffs like the Cardinals and somebody else would have to pass them, and I don't really see that happening. But I guess where's the floor here?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Is probably the more well, and you.
Speaker 3: Know the braves traditional method of getting thirty four year olds to back up every position, and also your triple A roster. You know that, you know they're this is still a team that could really get ruined if they have a couple more injuries and they haven't the healthiest team ever. Likes out but like the boy, the backups are real bad.
Speaker 1: Especially like we knew that going. Yeah, right, you've known them for a couple of years now, have you talked about the age of their triple A?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they weren't for the first two months? Is the thing?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: It was Dom Smith right, like well then uh right, And I don't know what he's done recently. Againe is okay, Yeah, it's cool.
Speaker 3: It's become hor hem matio. Yeah, and then you have a pitching staff, which you know Bryce Elder has fallen off, but grand Hoolmes hasn't yet right, Like Grandolmes is still kind of getting away with it. Martin Perez.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, I thought Holmes had kind of slowed down.
Speaker 2: I mean he has, he's like a four.
Speaker 3: Year this last month, but like the FIP is like five and a half, right, like it does cutting away with something, right, Martin Perez is like kind of actually good now, Like he's his strikeout rate is like one of the highest of his career. He's like, I know it's faint praise, but but a two to one strike out to walk ratio for Martin Perez is pretty good. Yeah, but still not good, like not playoff starter good. Jared Richie's back down, like it's starting to go from things could go wrong to needing to have things go right at this point, especially with a rotation, because after Chris Sale, now you just kind of need things to go right. He needs you need swallow back to be to come back and be ready. He need Strider to find something. He's back on the aisle again, like.
Speaker 2: They just got waldroped back yesterday, but they're so kind of stretched, like he was pitching behind Lopez. They're still kind of stretching him back out.
Speaker 3: It's not like this team has much to to buye with at the deadline, right.
Speaker 2: Eric Cartman, Eric Cartman, I guess so I.
Speaker 1: Have there's I want. There's another bat that has like it has had.
Speaker 2: A Nightingale said, they might be like a sneaky I know it's Bob. They might be a sneaky scooble.
Speaker 1: Right, I thought, I think I texted you, well, I think they have some interesting things if it depends on the Tiger's disposition, right, but they have a bunch of young, talented, injured starters, right, and but with a lot of control, ye think, because they're on the.
Speaker 2: Major Murphy, right, you could go get on Murphy if that's your If the Tigers.
Speaker 1: Want swelling Box, it's like a top of the rotation starter when he's healthy. It's not a bad piece theoretically, depending on your risk.
Speaker 3: And health.
Speaker 2: Quickly and like if the Tigers say, okay, we want you know, we've got we're gonna go comes up, he looks like an all star. We've got Max Clark coming. You know, we're still in sort of the peak heres for I don't know what Dylan Dingler is like top three catcher in baseball and continue, but we've.
Speaker 1: Got this catcher in baseball right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know we got Max Clark. Riley Green is still Riley Green is having a great year, right, Like, we can compete next year even without Schoogle.
Speaker 1: But you have fromber Valdez.
Speaker 2: They're they're going to they are going to need another picture right between mies and school. Yeah, so if you go like you've always fell en back, you can see the vasion, right if you want to be like, we're going to reload for next year, and I and I think that whatever you get back for.
Speaker 1: School would theoretically be willing to you could see them partying with with someone like that, yeah, because in a sense they have depth of the number of guys like that who are hurt but theoretically coming back.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: But it look it would I understand from the Detroit perspective, you could look at Schwellenbach and say, like, you're getting a guy who keeps getting hurt. Yeah, but if you can get the seasons out of him, right, like, it could be a huge win. He's really really good when he's healthy. If you think you can keep him healthy or just get lucky enough, right enough, it's not even about like, Okay, yes.
Speaker 2: It doesn't have to be Schula Shwalamack. You've seen the good side already, right, Like you've seen what he can do when healthy. You know, you can like Owen Murphy and Gerr. But Murphy is basically major league ready. He's made eleven starts in Triple A. Richie has pitched in the major sum.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well there's also I mean, like again, I wouldn't I wouldn't consider him good enough for the like a significant piece of the school deal. But there'shurstin Waldro really good at the end of last.
Speaker 2: Here, again, what you're pitching people think they what you're pitching people like what they think they can do with the guys you would be acquiring, right, Yeah, but I.
Speaker 1: Think again, if you go to that plus their actual prospects, right, not just hurt pitchers, Like there's theoretically something there. And again, if you're offloading schoobl's going to carry eleven million dollars. Yeah, that's I understand. It's not the thing fans necessarily want to think about, but it matters to the front office, it matters to the ownership. It's it's a couple months of Schooble as good as Schooble is. I don't think you're getting again you you wrote about this, Jeff, But like I don't think you're getting multiple top fifty guys. The return you're talking about is going to include someone in.
Speaker 2: This, right, I don't think Cartman is a top fifty guy.
Speaker 1: I probably not.
Speaker 2: But you have like a second pieces here Hartman, tas South and Scene Luis Guanifa, Like they have interesting guys at positions of need. Like you know South of Scene is a second middle endfielder. You know, Gwnefa and Hartman are outfielders, which they they need both of those things in addition to you know, close to ready pigeon, so like they do they do actually match up here, and like the braves of braves.
Speaker 1: Like and they'll make a move.
Speaker 2: They braves will make a move. And also like if you know Matt Olsen's getting older, Austin Riley, you know, like they don't have they they have a closing window here too, right, Chris Sale only is another year on his deal after this one, even though they keep maybe they'll do the same thing again and push it out another year. But he's not getting any younger. Either, like they should probably try to push in a little bit this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't. I don't think Bob's wrong. I think it's actually a pretty good Yeah, don't clip that please.
Speaker 2: I think it's a pretty it'll be the title of the episode.
Speaker 1: I think it's a pretty good fit in a number of ways. Again, depending on Detroit's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Atlanta has been active the deadlines. They've never made a deal like this, right, like the huge rental by trade. But they might have to this year, right, they haven't had to in the past.
Speaker 1: Right, No, it's true, but I don't but they they have not done that at the deadline. But obviously they they went and got Matt Olsen, like they've done the big swing.
Speaker 2: Right, they can't keep this year. They're not gonna be able to just go back and get Eddie Rosario again.
Speaker 1: I think they probably can.
Speaker 2: They probably can. Yes, they're going to need to do more than that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, I I think it would be. It's a very intriguing fit for Schooble. I think I when I was thinking about this, I don't know, a month ago or whatever, I think Ita and Chicago really make the most sense between need and.
Speaker 2: Potential willingness, and you could argue Atlanta they don't have as good a farm system as the cub but you could argue that might and neither of them are good farms well.
Speaker 1: And again if you if you're considering Schwellenbach and Waldrop types, that's not in the farm system. But they're controllable pieces that can slide right into a contention window right right.
Speaker 2: So I guess the Cubs could do that with like Matt Shaw right if they wanted to, but not a picture they have a.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think, so let's go to our third segment. It should be a quick one. I know we've gone long knives out, so I missed the first thing in our rundown here Jeffrey.
Speaker 2: So, so this is what actually brought it brought on the Stone Garrett Instagram post. Okay, Josh Naylor got hit by a pitch in the UH in the game against the Guardians, and I didn't even see if. I don't know if he said something or he overexaggerated. I don't. I don't really think he did anything unusual within the guardrails of Josh Josh Naylor on a baseball field, but like he was walking down I don't know if he says something to Hedges or Hedger said something to him, but you can see he just say like, no one likes you, just like and like not in like a not like it did not appear to me to be in like a joshing way or even like half she like just like no one likes you, like very just a statement of pack.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: It had the same kind of intonation as like you know you parking lot or whatever. Right, It's the same kind of like they're just like I am stating a fact.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, well, which like definitely doesn't like him.
Speaker 2: Well, it led to a lot of like okay, like yeah, like because you know Naylor, I obviously know too much.
Speaker 1: Is Josh Elder the Waterloo of First Basement.
Speaker 2: But he's like I get how just from the outside like the rock of Babe, like he's kind of a red ass, but he's being more of like, you know, a mostly acceptable fire. He's got some fire, right, And obviously I had known about the quote unquote knife Frank for the better part of a decade now, but Frank again just that's that's what his agent called it. Yes, but like Garrett actually like so for the people that don't know. I think everybody knows now. I thought they were roommates, but apparently they were next door neighbors, which makes it even weirder because he just kept like walking into breaking into Stone Garrett's apartment and like waiting for him in the closet with a butcher knife like repeatedly. Uh, and one of them he opened it and like I guess tried to scare him and like stabbed him through the hand. Yes, as Garrett had said, like he still can't feel anything in that hand, which would be kind of important. I think his thumbs stumpy, kind of important for you know, professional.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, and they like treated him later that season two weeks later, two weeks later.
Speaker 2: I think in the Futures game, I remember I saw him, and again I don't. I don't do a ton of like makeup stuff when I'm watching games, right like outside of like really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people, I should people have asked us about, like why we stop addressing this, Yeah, I would say, I mean, certainly what Jeff use is is a significant part of it. But my view, as as the Minor League editor at the time and now editor in chief a BP, was not that this stuff doesn't matter, right, it does matter. It can matter a whole hell of.
Speaker 2: A lot, right, Like is the fact that Nolan McLain has progressed more with pitch stuff than Jonah Tong a positive makeup marker. I don't think so. I think they're both. They're both working hard. Like Tong has been tinkering with Armslide does whatever the team tells him to do. That tries different pitches and things. Sometimes it just doesn't work.
Speaker 1: It's well, it's it's first of all, if you're talking about especially the way we used to do things, and maybe even more so now. Right, But like if you sat on someone for a series, right, you get at most a week of their lives.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, Like that is not enough to say to end up doing stuff like oh, how make character? How engaged are they on infield outfield? None of them are engaged on in field outfield, especially in the middle of the summer. I got news for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but look, and I'm not saying you can't get indicators, sure, but indicators aren't the truth.
Speaker 2: I saw Peter Alonzo out there working on scoops for like an hour before the game, right, I mean he needed the work, right, Like he was putting in the work. What does that what does that actually mean? Also have to say I did see Josh Naylor start a bench clearing brawl in Lakewood when he was standing on first base. I don't think I don't think it gotten hit by pitch. I think he just got it, got walked. I think just started to fight. It started a benchuring ball on first base. This is also before he got traded. He was with the Marlin still at the time. I think before I heard about the knife Frank too. It was fairly early in the Yeah, I did you have the post?
Speaker 1: I mean I don't, but yes, he was just like multiple times just hiding, like hiding in a closet and popping out with a knife. That is deranged stuff and like that. The Marlins has anyone Patrick Click has anyone asked Naylor about this since the Garrett post? But I'm just thinking because you're in the local.
Speaker 2: The Marlins were very much like, we're going to handle this in house, which is a very.
Speaker 3: Like it is a weird thing because everybody is like not everybody, but like a significant portion of people have known about this but don't remember it.
Speaker 2: Was there was a knife Frank because that was was.
Speaker 3: It an open secret like no one remembers anymore because it was so long ago. There was I supposed to be sharing this or not?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I don't knife, Frank. That was Builton in Garrett missing a lot of time and.
Speaker 2: Not being as good when he came back. And again it was his first He wasn't a huge he was an overslought.
Speaker 1: Look, this guy made it to the majors.
Speaker 2: He didn't finally make it to the med YEA, I don't.
Speaker 1: You don't necessarily want to say like he ruined this guy's career, but like it's not out of the question.
Speaker 2: He can't. He have feeling in a thumb, which is again important for a professional hitter of Baseball's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, on that note, Yeah, we'll take a break.
Speaker 3: He's left on that contract.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and our audience can consider what they might do for a nice prank, and we'll be back for the rest of the show. Welcome back to episode five hundred and fifty nine of five and Dive. We're on segment four. We're going around the horn. Jeffrey, would you like to just relay you your texts to us about Junior Cameron Herrow.
Speaker 2: Junior Camonaro is on an all time heater. He has homered in six straight games for the fraudulent Rays.
Speaker 1: I don't think Junior Camonaro is fraudulent.
Speaker 2: Junior Camonaro is definitely not for fraudulent. He's also as I possibly, what was what was.
Speaker 1: The length on the one that you took, the one that you said.
Speaker 2: One of the ones that you sixty eight to write, it went to a place in I think left center in Tampa that you do not normally like it got to the concourse in like left center, which I just don't think, like.
Speaker 1: One thirteen I remember. Yeah, this is all just off memory, one thirteen off the bat.
Speaker 2: Yeah he can do that obviously. Yes, Like like even I didn't even bother sending you the one last night. It was only like one nine four thirty. Yeah, I thought it's not worth it.
Speaker 1: He is also once again leading the league in ground into double plays.
Speaker 2: Sure, very hard.
Speaker 1: You can just lock in. Yeah, as long as John Carlos Stanton is is not healthy, you can lock in the league leader.
Speaker 3: Yeah. In g I DP.
Speaker 2: He is as I hoped on Monday show in the home run derby so that we have that talk.
Speaker 1: Oh is he Yeah, Okay, he's the first person that's worth tuning into.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's got a very short concourse in Philadelphia too.
Speaker 1: Hit something there, he might hit it over the batter's eide.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Last last fourteen days, four thirteen, four sixty two, one thousand. Wow, that's twelve games with a one thousand slogging. He's hit nine home runs?
Speaker 1: Is it's only slightly ahead of Dansby Swanson?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Probably the last fourteenth days, last twenty eight days, three thirty three, ninety eight, seven oh three.
Speaker 1: It's pretty good.
Speaker 2: He's just he's only twenty two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like it's not do you think I think you're not anticipating. I don't know, like you're saying he's only ton to two, which is great, but it's probably like this is probably around where he tops out. I mean, what's the other year? Could he hit like stoping the place.
Speaker 2: It's not hitting a day? Could he hit sixty home runs in a season?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I guess he's on pace for almost fifty this year and he hit forty five last year. I do Well, Well, here you go. Craig His ops by year the last four seasons six thirty one, seven, twenty four, eight, forty six, ninety three. So just keep going on one hundred points every year.
Speaker 1: Right, But well, essentially he's you end up he doesn't have the walks or whatever. It's a different profile. But then he's walking about like right handed.
Speaker 2: Yourd On Alvarez as like, but I don't know if he has I'm walking like twelve percent of the time. He's like, there's nobody else not lying up the pitch too, But he still had to not say at the pitches.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do want to point out, like I joked about Swanson, Swanson's last fourteen days three seventy five, four four nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he is only.
Speaker 1: Slightly ahead of fancy swaps. Cooper Ingle had a bad moment.
Speaker 2: He did, he had benniagg Bayanis did, Yeah, we need I you.
Speaker 3: Know, this isn't worth an article, but man, I've always you know, I remember somebody saying, once we have all the leaderboards whatever need and man, we need a leaderboard for this. We need a designated place where you can look up every player in history who has done this, just so you can be like, this needs to be a club.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and yeah, it is a harmless club, but like it's a club like Learry, it wasn't harmless in this instance they lost it.
Speaker 3: Only they lost thank god. Like I wrote the most merciful insurance run in baseball history when the Rangers made it four too. Yeah, somebody something that again will never happen again.
Speaker 1: He is a catcher, stakes Patrick different steaks.
Speaker 2: He has not played a lot of corner outfield.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, that's a tough one.
Speaker 3: Uh, Steve Cohen, do we actually say what he did? He did? I not.
Speaker 1: He threw the ball into the stands with with two outs, and.
Speaker 3: There was a runner on second who dropped around. Everyone just stood there and watched. Uh Tanner Bidy's expression.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Harry Biby, Who who did you write it? You wrote about right?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I put this in DSDH.
Speaker 1: No, but you wrote about him earlier in this also is one of the hardest luck yeah players this year, just in terms of like win loss record stuff like that. I know he's not pitched terrifically either, but he's also been very unlucky elsewhere. Steve Cohen has said that David Sterns will quote ride out end quote his contract. He's in year three of a five year contract. I wouldn't call it the most ringing of endorsements. In terms of phrasing. My guess is that Stern's sorry, Stern's Cohen did not mean this in any sort of derogatory or I'm.
Speaker 2: Not the like for a guy.
Speaker 1: He's not a words guy.
Speaker 3: Mhm. Well, Also, you don't want to do too complimentary, because that's the kiss of death when you're like over praising the guy is doing, you know, clearly a bad job, or at least you know it's getting bad results. Made me talk about, right, you want to thread the balance of being like, yeah, he's fine, you know when you're doing.
Speaker 2: It on the New York Post Baseball podcast, for some reason, we got to consider the audience. Yeah, no, Like, it was very funny because he was getting people were I don't remember, but he was tweeting. He should not be tweeting either. Oh he like he does. He said he was going to make a statement soon, and I'm just like, oh god. But I figured he was going like he did a press conference in twenty twenty three, right when things weren't going well. So I thought, okay, he'll just have a press conference. You know, they just fired their manager. But he'll do like a basic maybe like a pre All Star Game thing or something, but no, he just went on the New York Posts podcast with John Hayman and Joel Sherman, which is very funny because Joel Sherman complained a lot that they only went to Anthony Jacomo to say Carlos Mendoza was safe back in May, and like, oh you got to talk to you. Why you're only talking to one media source. Fine, when it's fine, when it's me right. He said a lot of other things too that he shouldn't, but that's just part of the Steve Cohen experience at this point. I mean, he did say things like, look, we have to look at our processes and like you can have good process and bad outcomes, Like he said, all the right things and that respect. And I do think Stearns is probably safe for the duration of this contract for a variety of reasons, including the ones he outlined about being like that, who do you hire after this, which is something that no point that Jarry and I have made a lot over the last six months or.
Speaker 1: So I talked about last podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, like you don't.
Speaker 1: Is an unfortunate frame it because it sounds like we're just gonna live with it.
Speaker 2: We're gonna live with it, right, Yeah, But.
Speaker 1: I think I think he's I don't know that he's like happy with it.
Speaker 2: But I don't think you, I mean you shouldn't. I don't think David Stearns is happy with it, right, Yeah, but.
Speaker 1: I don't But I don't think but I don't think Steve Cohen is unhappy with David Stearns. I think he's unhappy with the results, right, which is.
Speaker 2: Something that like Mets fans can't parse for some reason.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there there is an additional uh, another round of of MLB h M, l B P A c B A.
Speaker 2: Yeah, should know some thought they might miss games next year, which is not something you want your owners specifically. Yeah, I don't know how this is a good idea.
Speaker 1: So so this is latest MLBP proposal. But did we do we cover the prior.
Speaker 2: We talked at the draft stole y, Yeah, and when we talked about I think.
Speaker 1: The contract length. I mean, yeah, none of this is I can't I wasn't.
Speaker 3: Here for something.
Speaker 1: I just wasn't sure.
Speaker 2: I don't know whatever, I don't know the details, just like leak, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Intermittently so it's not always clear. I I just wanted to cover it if we didn't. But but Patrick, I know I shared the details of this with you. Do you have do you have it in front of you?
Speaker 3: What the the.
Speaker 1: Specifically it's looking at trends. This this portion of the proposal was specifically about UH transaction.
Speaker 2: Fewer options.
Speaker 3: It's adorably it's adorably minute ship yes yearly compared their own. The owners are like, we're we're never going to pay any ever again. And the LVPA is like, we'd like an extra couple of roster thoughts for the first two weeks of the season.
Speaker 1: So that is That was the first billet point, which was expanding active rosters from twenty six to twenty eight for the first fifteen days of the season, just to make it more of a glide path out of spring training. Sure, I suppose. Look, I understand why they're asking for this. It's it's additional service time for additional people. I don't I don't like it's it's like it's I don't think it's good for the game necessarily, it's fine, I don't pay.
Speaker 3: It's essentially like it doesn't hurt the game and it keeps it's another reason.
Speaker 2: To stars aren't good.
Speaker 1: From their perspective, that's fine. Like I'm not flammoring, yes I don't. I would prefer more time where the regular season is just the regular season and not weird and slightly different. But like I get I get it.
Speaker 3: The big one is no, I just thought the big one, like it really is like quality of life stuff, right, like having you know, letting people be on the sixty Day Island November so you don't have to cut a bunch of.
Speaker 1: People just because it's also good for teams.
Speaker 3: It is good for teams. Yeah, Like it's annoying to have to cut one of your decent like fringe guys because you know you have three guys come off happy.
Speaker 1: The race would be oh man, so save some of those rosters and I mean like they'll do whatever, but like they'll be thrilled. Yeah, And I'm not even I'm not trying to take a shot that a lot of the Rays are hurt. It's just a way for them to save a roster spot. They're kind of a lot of those weird little deals you see in in November and December or whatever are because they're are trying to they have always got a wave of people about to need to be added to the forty man and so they're just trying to optimize their system that way. This would help them help them out of that crunch a little bit.
Speaker 3: So reducing the number of in season options from five to three, which was already reduced from I think was it infinite to five was the first time through, and now it's five to three. They're just trying to slid down the shuttle, which is just going to give you more Carlos grascows. But you know, whatever can't stady, it's gonna be harder to program out.
Speaker 1: I do wonder if this doesn't it slows down the shuttle, but it says it's specifically to combat roster churn, and I don't know if it wouldn't enhance roster turn. I mean it you just do the DFA. It does give the players more options, right right, And I agree with that, but I don't know that it addresses churn. It gives but it gives players options amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this one's one might be my favorite. Moving up the Rule five draft in the final year of the c b A, just not every year the ones before they might be a strike or what works stoppage.
Speaker 1: Well, the goal there is to make sure there is a rule five draft right exactly last time they.
Speaker 3: And then provide them will be pay for players who are optioned at September.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, yeah, extras Max Meyer exactly.
Speaker 3: And this is like it's not great. You know, it does not improve the product, but also it's pretty easy to go like, yeah, come on, it's like.
Speaker 1: Like it does improve the product because it removes the incentive to do this weird little.
Speaker 3: Forced them to find new incentives.
Speaker 2: Fine, Like it's like, if you want to manipulate the service time, you got to pay for it for the two leak space.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I guess look, I always preference and say like we're biased on this. I'm not trying to hide the ball on that kind of stuff. But if you look at what these proposal details address, like the PA proposals repeatedly are like stop finding loopholes, and the players and the game and the owners are like take less money. And I think, like that's a that's a joke, but it's also.
Speaker 2: It is very much not a joke.
Speaker 1: It's not it's very much not a joke. And I think that should tell you where each side is coming from in terms of what they're trying to accomplish with their proposals. Are the players self interested?
Speaker 3: Yes, yea.
Speaker 1: Also their self interest is better for the game than the owner's self interest.
Speaker 2: I saw someone on Blue Sky just be like, I know none of this matters, but it is. It's weird that their owners are just like presenting their view of like idealized baseball, and it's the most horrible thing you've ever seen. Like they're not like they're not even trying.
Speaker 1: It's very much a Silicon Valley Tech ceo being like, isn't this the future we all want? And it's a nightmare, and they're like, it looks great to me. The guy on top of the.
Speaker 2: Pyramid also Travis Sauchik, but those the only yeah.
Speaker 1: Employed by Major League basse Yeah.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: If you want to know more about that, feel free to check out the site today. I have an article up on an article. Lastly, Brent Rooker is out for the season. Right, it's been a tough season, Yeah, it has, like perhaps mercifully like maybe it's just like let's get this.
Speaker 3: Salved Is DRC is one on one. The thing about Rooker is that like he has not changed what he does. He's just going to see. He is very much the I'm going to swing in one spot, ye, and when the ball is there, you know, goodbye. The ball has not been in that spot.
Speaker 1: So the reason I one of the reasons I asked if we covered the prior thing. So one of one of the elements of the prior MLB proposal, not the PA proposal, was centered around they accepted conditionally on contingent.
Speaker 2: If they take less money right contingent.
Speaker 1: On the acceptance of a cap and floor. They accepted the MLB past proposal for players who are over thirty when they re free agency can do it in five years of service rather than six.
Speaker 2: I signed an extension.
Speaker 1: He did, he did, But he is the kind he is, the profile of player that that would part of the reason he signed an extension is because he was not going to reach free agency until thirty three. Now. I don't know that thirty two is all that much better in this stace whatever, But I also want to point out that even amidst that, they also said, by the way, we also want to create a restrictive free agency where we can pay him essentially the qualifying offer offer. Yeah, and we can just assign it to him. It's he doesn't get to It's not a qualifying offer, it's a qualifying mandate.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also, we're not changing arbitration at all.
Speaker 1: And also but but like it's like, oh, we've agreed to this thing, and there's you know, these these guys, and there are a lot of these guys because of how our clubs handle players.
Speaker 2: Who more we eliminate high schoolers in the drafts.
Speaker 1: Right exactly if because of how we ended the place they hit this there are these guys that are over thirty when they reach free agency, they can do it a year sooner. Except also we re reserve the right for them not to do that. Now, look it costs, but that one year of cost is less than the contract they would get as a free agent, right if they're worth they would only do it if they're worth screwing over to do it, right, Like, it's just it's.
Speaker 2: Like it's like a franchise tag. Basically it is not even not even as good as a franchise tag.
Speaker 3: Yes it is.
Speaker 1: It is a franchise tag.
Speaker 3: Yeah, literally everyone instead of just like six dudes, it's it's.
Speaker 1: But even right to your point, not as good. I believe in the NFL the franchise tag, other teams can, if it would be worth it, still sign those guys and take a draft pick penalty to do so. Not the case here, as far as I can tell, it would The free agency restriction is you're getting paid this oh to forego free agency. As I read it, it's possible I did not read it correct. Anyway, that is that is our show up until the game.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, So this game was supply supplied by Colin. Thank you Colin for doing this after you should have supplied the game last week. Colin Richard, you should have You should have supplied the game last week when he was here and then he might have won.
Speaker 1: Oh sorry, real host, Colin.
Speaker 3: All right, So this one is a very simple one. It's called pension, man uh. And so all you have to do, we're just gonna do it together as a group. All I have to do is I'm going to name off a player and you just tell me if they have reached ten years of service time. And boy, I'm not going to do well at this because I only think of things in terms of years and not service.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry say this again.
Speaker 3: What I'm going to name a player, you tell me whether that you have reached whether that players reached ten years ten years of service time? Okay, Right, So if you've been following.
Speaker 1: On a b RES page or lay a VP player card, it is it's amount of time actually spend in the majors.
Speaker 3: Okay, So we'll start with Kyle Schwarber and you guys can just say what you feel. What do you feel like?
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm actually I'm pretty.
Speaker 2: Sure I'm gonna doing some math in my head.
Speaker 1: You can, I'm saying it. I don't want I'm not trying to sway you, Jeff, but I'm pretty sure I saw something marking that he had done it.
Speaker 3: I think that's the Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think he also has ten and five.
Speaker 2: Rights, So yeah, I think I think that's right now that i'm because, yeah, he missed that year, but he would have been on the sixty he was in the majors. Who would have been major league service time for it?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Next one, Harrison Bater. Oh, that is just.
Speaker 1: Colin. If you had started with Harrison. Now maybe we were wrong on Schwarber and that's fine, but if you had started with Bader, that's just right off the bat, that like one of the biggest edge cases. Yeah, he's played for ten teams.
Speaker 2: I think I'm gonna say, now, oh man, it's.
Speaker 1: Been hurt Padrick. What are you saying? I say no, you're saying no too, I think yeah, yeah, I'm gonna.
Speaker 3: No. I'm gonna say, Okay, how do you biased.
Speaker 2: Gotta be?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know if he has to be like he was.
Speaker 1: He didn't get he didn't get yo yo. He's been bad or hurt or whatever, but he's been there.
Speaker 3: Okay, yes, all right, Chris Bassett, I'm gonna say, what.
Speaker 1: Is he's like thirty five?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: How late did he start older than that? I think he did, But he was like an up and down reliever for a bit to take a swing man, So I don't know how long.
Speaker 3: God, he's grizzled. I think just on his beard.
Speaker 1: Alone, who should be I'm gonna say now just his face is is a ten years of service face. I'm also it feels like a trap, so I'm gonna say no.
Speaker 3: Also, okay, Tommy fam oh my god, oh.
Speaker 2: Man, I mean like he came up late. He came up late.
Speaker 1: It's so much DFA.
Speaker 2: He also like keeps signing like and.
Speaker 1: Then the first on the roster, right, like, I'm gonna say.
Speaker 2: No, we can't keep agreeing on everything.
Speaker 3: You're gonna say no, all right, Adam Frazer, I don't say yes this one.
Speaker 2: Just say no. I don't think he's he was another guy that came up late.
Speaker 1: Mhm. He does just stay on rosters though he does like he's not.
Speaker 2: Like he just is on the Angels, Like he's just on the Angels.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like it's not like they're cutting him and resigning him and adding it back and whatever. I think I want to say yes, I don't.
Speaker 2: He signs the minor league deal, but then he's just in the majors.
Speaker 3: But from the start of the season, next on Wilson Contrares, I was like a look at his is he not.
Speaker 2: Looking at his I know player page he played, I know he's played in eleven seasons. Becomes I'm going to say no, I'm.
Speaker 1: Gonna say no, I'm gonna say yes.
Speaker 3: Okay, So Craig and I are still all right holding common Oh fuck god, Yeah, this one's hard. Yeah God, I'm.
Speaker 2: Not going to say it. I'm gonna go last because I think I know the answer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's smart of you. I mean, Jeff knows more than I'm going to say. I'm going to say yes, all right.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say no. I'm pretty sure he came up to the end of twenty seventeen, so I don't think he's there yet.
Speaker 3: Right, Anthony Rindoon, it's gotta be yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's not on like the restricted list or whatever.
Speaker 2: I mean, he might be now, but like I think he's got his ten years.
Speaker 1: Well, no, they agreed to whatever. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Trevor's story.
Speaker 1: I mean, I want to go last on this one.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I was gonna do the opposite of you, all right, just so I could.
Speaker 1: Oh, you're gonna do the opposite of me.
Speaker 3: No, No, I'll go after Jeff all right, Jeff Trevor's story.
Speaker 2: He was definitely a six plus guy because he came up the end of that season and he signed with the Red Socks. How fucking long has even with the Red song.
Speaker 1: That's that's the math I was doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I am going to say he is just under just under Yeah, let me say.
Speaker 1: I think he's over.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, I will go with under that, even though I probably think you're right. Craig just so that we get different because I think that was number ten and we're gonna stop here, all right, son, So he gave ten and then he's like, here's another, here's more. He put another eight in in case, but another two, Colin, and we can we'll use another game another time, all right, So let's reveal and let's see. So Kyle Schwarber, the answer is yes, ten point zero eight six. Harrison thought, Yeah, Harrison Bader, the answer is no, so we're all eight point eight point zero three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was like just a free agent.
Speaker 3: So we're all tied at too, so far. Next one, Hobby Bias. The answer is yes, ten point zero eight nine.
Speaker 1: Him and Scher were basically.
Speaker 2: He played in the twenty fifteen playoffs, so I assumed that he was more than Chris Bassett.
Speaker 3: The answer is no, nine point one three. Oh, so we are all four four five Tommy Fan. The answers yes, no, oh yeah, yeah, wow, ten point zero nine two more than swarm Wow. Okay, and finally we because if we have a different answer, we have a differentiator. It is Adam Frazer is is no. So Jeff takes takes the lead and he's going to continue to take the lead because Wilson Contreras is no and Ahmed Rosario is no. Wilson Contreras is at nine point one, Ahmed Rosario is eight point zero six.
Speaker 2: Which, yeah, he came up. He came up late in twenty seventeen.
Speaker 3: Anthony Rin doone. The answer is yes, he was way over twelve point one three zero. We all got that one right. And Trevor Story, the answer is yes. So Craig wits went back. But Jeff's gonna win this one walking.
Speaker 1: Is he like just over.
Speaker 3: Trevor story? Was it? No, he's exactly ten as a Friday.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, I miscalculated when he got called back as.
Speaker 1: Of which Friday?
Speaker 3: Last Friday?
Speaker 1: Okay, I didn't know if we were getting a fucking benefit that would only be right.
Speaker 3: So congratulations to Jeff, who wins first place with eight. Craig at six I had five.
Speaker 2: It's important to have that Adam Fraser knowledge on this show. It really, it really is it really really you got to know things about Adam Fraser.
Speaker 1: Can Thank you to Colin for the game king, gradualations to Jeff. Thank you to our listeners for joining us on another episode of five and Dive brought to you by the Baseball Perpectis podcast Network and a super sack of dirt. You can get in touch with the show at five and dive at Baseball Perspectives dot com. We are wherever you get your podcasts. Search for the Baseball Perspectives podcast network and we will be in that feed. If you've been waiting for the pod to be over, congratulations, you're trying is.
Speaker 4: Now how Camel bevernswering? The better, the older, all the fast