Speaker 1: And we were talking a little bit about the Astros injury situation, and you know, dove back into a little bit of some of the conversation we had yesterday. But here's the consequence, Cole, that I feel like people are not looking at right now because you have to remember that Major League Baseball is a small circle, right that these guys they talk, either through their own agencies, maybe it's guys that have previous relationships from being former teammates, friends of friends, whatever it is these guys talk. It gets to a point too where one hundred and sixty two games, it's hard enough. You want to be able to simplify this thing as much as possible. Situations like what just happened with Jordan Alvarez do not help you with potential free agents now, because you also want to know that injuries are a part of the game. It's going to happen. You're going to be on the al at some time. If you sign a long term deal with the team, you're probably going to miss some time. So when that happens, you want to know that a you're getting the best treatment and the best recovery plan that you can possibly have. But also so too, what we've seen for the last couple of years with Kyle Tucker last year, with Jordan Alvarez this year, again putting it on the player. If I'm a player, I'm pissed you do that. I'm furious because if it's one of those that say, for example, a bone bruise and you're not coming back if it bothers you, then you're going to have that out there. Why the hell aren't you back yet. It's a bone bruise, dude, come on, let's go. What are you doing? And then you find out later that it's misdiagnosed, so you do all of that. The damage has done at that point. If I'm a player and I'm having people who are questioning my toughness in my ability to be able to get back out on the field, then yeah, I'm going to be upset and I'm going to be resentful towards you.
Speaker 2: This goes further back than just staying it though this was underneath James Click too, especially with the entire situation of the misdiagnosis and also the rehabilitation process. This has been lingering with the organization for years, and at some point you have to realize that something needs to change if you want to have that faith and really going to have the negative cloud that's been around you.
Speaker 3: Like people get pissed off.
Speaker 2: And share their own reports on how the Ashers aren't giving away any information, so it's hard for him to kind of dissect or dilude, Hey, let's play the doctor game and figure out what's going on and when there is an actual timeline, and then they're frustrated when the timeline's wrong. This isn't just a first time situation, or that Kyle Tucker wasn't the last guy to go through this and the only other guy to go through this. This was happening back in twenty twenty one, it's happening back in twenty twenty two. I mean I remember hearing that, Yeah, we're probably not going to get Lance McCullers back in twenty twenty three, but could we get him back in twenty twenty four. What's going on with Luis Garcia right now? What's the status of Christian Hoveer right now? Jose or Keaty was out for a while. What was his longevity? Was he projected back at some point and you want to have this conversation of yes, he's working his way back. But also if the entire clubhouse doesn't know that he is quote unk, well working his way back means six months to a year before he's actually gonna recover. Then you're wondering, Okay, what happens when our team is losing and maybe he's almost there. Okay, we got to ramp him up a little bit more so that way we can get him back out in the bullpen.
Speaker 1: It's almost kind of to a point where I mean, if I'm a player, I almost kind of wonder if the clubhouse soon enough just says, hey, you guys gonna change the way that you go about doing this, because then it starts to set expectations in that clubhouse. Oh, we're gonna get Hovey airback. Oh that's cool. Oh we're gonna get We're gonna get Louis back. That's awesome, like of being able to have those out here, And in fairness to Dana, he does say hopefully, yeah, So he does give himself a little bit of an out on that, but it is also too what are you doing of not granting yourself the favor of hey, look, it's a long shot. We would like to have him back. This year, and we're hopeful that they can be back at this point, but it's also too I just want people to not be disappointed if it doesn't happen this year.
Speaker 3: What's the harm in that.
Speaker 2: Because you're not lying, but you're also kind of setting a baseline. Maybe it'll happen, maybe it won't, but okay. It also allows you to kind of have a good understanding about what you need to do going into the trade deadline. So we consistently hear Christian Aavier is working his way back. Christian Javier might be ready at some point, well, some point needs to be determined. Is he going to be on the field by the time that we get to July thirty first and it's four pm, Or do I have to go out and add in a fourth arm? Like those are things that you have to have those conversations on because if it's a little bit different when hey, he may only be our number four pitcher, but we're paying him to be a number two. It may only be Yeah, he's only going to give us three or four innings in the next five starts.
Speaker 3: But at least you know he's back.
Speaker 2: At least you know we don't have to go out and now anybody like right now, let's say the Assers are three games above five hundred and they can't hit against lefties, you want to add in a left handed bat just because if you want to be able to combat any opportunity, just to throw him in the lineup. But Majordon is close to being back, well close doesn't help me in a division race where I'm barely leading against Seattle, and Seattle right now is going investing all in on adding in another and adding in.
Speaker 3: An outfielder or adding in a first basement.
Speaker 2: So every move that they make, you at the counteract it with And if you don't know what the status is of a certain player, then.
Speaker 3: At this point what are you doing. You're only hurting your team.
Speaker 2: And then the person to blame is all coming back to you because of a misdiagnosis and a misleaning toward.
Speaker 3: The public eye.
Speaker 1: Well, and it's also I mean, I understand wanting to have trust in your players. I'm fully on board with that, but it also you have to remember that these guys are more competitive than any of us can sometimes comprehend. I mean, they're their harshest critic. All of those different things you've heard it all, but it's also before you even swing a bat. What is the harm in sending them in for more imaging of just sen Hey, look, we just want to make sure that we're on top of this thing. I mean, we believe that you can swing up bat. That's not a question. It's fine. But why give ourselves any chance that maybe we've missed something. That's just what it is the heart of all of this that I just can't get past of. You're going to clear him to do all these things without following up, I mean, and then you're gonna try to tell us that, oh, it wasn't structural, it wasn't structural, and then you find out that it was structural when you could.
Speaker 3: Have found this out a long time ago.
Speaker 1: How do you get to sixty percent of my big question? We talked about it yesterday, Like I don't even know what that means. Like it's it almost kind of feels like they're throwing out in absolute number for the hopes that it will be able to provide some clarity for people. But it's also too at the same time. I mean, it's either fractured or it's not.
Speaker 2: It's like when I heard Nikosario say, I don't even know what team needs are, Like, I just can somebody please explain that to me.
Speaker 3: He knows what it means. You know what it means, dude.
Speaker 2: Your offensive line gave up fifty four sacks last year and your quarterback's not throwing in OTAs because of it. I'm sorry that you don't want to go ahead and give a little bit more insight to this.
Speaker 3: But you know what a team means. You know what sixty percent means.
Speaker 2: Oh, he's able to hit off the tea, and he's able to hit against live bullpen practice, but we can't ram them up against one of our top pitchers.
Speaker 3: Okay, cool, so say that.
Speaker 2: But when you say sixty percent and come up with this nonchalant number, Okay, I'm giving thirty five percent today. My volume level is at twenty two percent. You want to hear me screaming to the microphone on one hundred.
Speaker 3: Trust me.
Speaker 2: I will give you that, But dont try like I'm making these things up. I could be at fifty eight percent right now. Dan could be at forty two percent right now. Tripley's over there, Triple Y over here is doing a twenty two percent job producing today.
Speaker 3: He could be doing nothing. That is not cool. He is doing a ninety nine percent job producing today he's doing one hundred percent. That was your problem.
Speaker 2: My point being is that you come up with different numbers. Everyone has this own like this own spiel. It's it's not right because if you don't know what that means, just tell us what the facts are. He's not able to hit. He doesn't have a second MRI. He needs to be able to kind of go into second imaging. If you just have that, you have a baseline. But when you come up with this out of left field conversation, all you're doing is you're setting up a player to fail when you got to put him back on the d.
Speaker 1: I understand setbacks happen. I understand that it's not a linear progression in terms of trying to be able to come back from injuries.
Speaker 3: Trust me, I get it.
Speaker 1: I understand. But it is also too if I'm Jim Crane for all of the control that he wants to have in that building, now, they're better have been a meeting after Saturday of saying this is the last time this is gonna happen while I'm the owner of this team, and if it.
Speaker 2: Doesn't the congratulations, you know what to expect moving forward when people don't want to report on anything. Sorry, I mean like like, that's what it is when Chandler Rome starts coming out and saying, don't know, don't ask me.
Speaker 3: This is why, because if you can't build that trust factor, he's one of your best players.
Speaker 2: And the only caveat, and I will give Dana a little bit of credit, the only caveat is we now know why Jordan wasn't able to slug the way that he was last season. We now know why there was more to the story than just a little bit of a hand issue. It's been going on since the spring. You're shutting him down, You're letting him get back to full health, and hopefully that ops the slugging percentage, the on base percentage, the velocity, the arch angle, all the things that were really struggling with him in that first month will be solid when he gets back at full capacity.
Speaker 1: And just know that players want to feel supported, and I just feel like that now these are two different occasions where you've not supported your player, like you've set them up for a position to fail, and that's on you. And if you're an organization that prides themselves on being on the cutting edge in many ways for research development, all of the things that have made the astro successful. I mean, there are always strengths and weaknesses. Dude, plug up this strength as soon as possible, because soon enough for the great clubhouse you have and the winning culture and all those different types of things. There's great club there's great clubhouses in winning cultures other places, and guys are going to start choosing that.
Speaker 2: Sometimes when you hear that change just going to happen for the franchise and you're constantly seeing the exact same thing happen, you start to wonder what needs to actually change before things start to actually turn the corner.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean I brought up the example yesterday. The Rockets did it a few years ago when Yaoming was going through his foot issue. They brought Walter Lowe out like that. That would go a long way of you're in a situation like this again, make the team doctor available, Make make them available. It's a it's a one time deal. It's over, it's done with. You get it straight from the medical professional and it's done.
Speaker 2: We have a conversation once a year with one of the head scouts for the Texans. We know what they're kind of going and looking for in terms of the foundation of the franchise.
Speaker 3: It's a one time meeting.
Speaker 2: Okay, you miss it, you miss it, but I promise you, once you get a good understanding, everyone's on the same page. You know what to look for, you know what to expect, you know what was the thought process. You kind of get to you kind of hit reset on the rest of the year. It's at the end of the world. It isn't see a couple of you on the phone lines.
Speaker 1: You want to join him seOne three two one two five seven ninety seven one three two, one two five seven Continue this conversation. Also get into a little bit of Lance mccullors on the Mountain tonight against Paul Skeins. Talk about it right here. It is Shawn Salisbury Show, Sports Talk seven ninety