Speaker 1: Spine worms.
Speaker 2: Spine worms indeed.
Speaker 3: Don't don't make that a don't make that a portmanteau, don't shorten it.
Speaker 1: I started doing don't get it.
Speaker 2: It took me a minute, but I got there.
Speaker 4: The Babylon podcast was our last best hope for a concise discussion. It failed, but in the Year of the Great Tangents, it became something better, our last best hope for relevance.
Speaker 1: The year is twenty twenty six.
Speaker 4: The place wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Hi, everybody, it's us.
Speaker 2: It is welcome to babble on in the podcast that is breaking down and reacted to episodes of Babylon five. We just watched season three, episode seven Exogenesis. My name is Jenny, a big fan of the show.
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 5: My name is Jen. I'm creeped out spine worms, but yes by the spine worms two separate words. And I am I'm a writer and I love the show. I watched it back in the day.
Speaker 3: I'm gus, I'm an actor. I'm very badly jet lagged right now, and first time watcher.
Speaker 1: I'm Ali. I'm an actress and a writer and a showrunner. And this is my first time watching Babbylon five. And the sperms of course, of course, and oh I forget oh, and Jen, your skin looks really dowy today. I just wanted to let you know. I just was looking at it and I was like, wow, so it's mine.
Speaker 2: But I'm also a cartoon, so.
Speaker 1: You're not here for you.
Speaker 5: Look. I thought, thank you, Finelli, fine Alli, and GUSSI was look beautiful as well. And you really don't look jet liked, even though you say you are.
Speaker 3: I'm trying. I'm really trying.
Speaker 1: I couldn't be more tired.
Speaker 3: Every like one pm to three pm is a struggle, but now it's eight forty five pm, so it's a different kind of struggle.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a different kind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, uh well, I think you noted it while we were watching. But this one is another JMS joint. The It was directed by Kevin Kremen, who thus far has directed. This is fourth episode that he's directed. He directed Spiders in the Web, Confessions and Lamentations, Matters of Honor and.
Speaker 3: This one so nice.
Speaker 1: Kevin Kremen well.
Speaker 3: Direct, good ship, Kevin well done in the directorial arena M and Yeah.
Speaker 2: Copeland h John Copeland. It says here he's the producer. Christopher Franky is the is the the composer Christopher Franky. So yes, if you if you left a comment correcting me in the reaction.
Speaker 6: You dollars pledge, Yes, that's how you did it. Yes, pledge, it was.
Speaker 5: I was pretty sure. I mean I was pretty sure it was. I thought, actually I thought it was a producer, but I wasn't sure. But I was just like, it was just so clear to me as a writer. I do ship like that where I'm like, I put something in there that only I'll understand means something. And the way that Marcus said it, like the Copeland j five thousand, I was like, who is Who's that that's gonna be?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Speaking of Marcus speaking, I know, did you get to read the Lookers Guide for this one?
Speaker 5: Yes? Yeah, I read most of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I was like.
Speaker 2: He didn't Yes, but him. You both noted it that he did not say the name of the Scottish play. James specifically did not write it in the script because he said some actors have problems saying it, so I made a point not to write it in there. Although he said that the actor playing Marcus whose name I forget, Jason Jason Jason, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Two kinds of actors who won't say it an actors who are like aggressive about and you're like, relax, yeah, well so there is a personal choice, and they're like, I say it right now.
Speaker 5: It's the same people who don't like to whistle on stage right.
Speaker 1: Well, that has a whole reason too, and that's yeah, that's because the people used to used to be sailors and like, yeah, if you whistled, that was how they would like call together. So you might get a sandbag dropped on your head.
Speaker 2: That's like I would appreciate not having a sandbag dropped on my head.
Speaker 1: Whistle the theater, though they don't really do that anymore, no, but as.
Speaker 5: Somebody who's worked in a you know, of course, in a haunted theater most of them mar but as somebody who works in a haunted theater and watched the flies that she put up carefully with lines like on the last day of the last show of a play that we knew our ghost hated, everything went and almost fell down on people's heads.
Speaker 3: I couldn't call. I was like, that'll happen.
Speaker 5: I don't need to whistle.
Speaker 1: There's a theater that we go to that is haunted as fluck. I was nice, okay, but okay, one time she's one time she's nice. It's definitely an old lady and she's really nice, like everybody, everybody who was sensitive to that ship all sudden stay.
Speaker 3: Pissed off at first, but once you get started.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she calms down once she knows that you're there to perform, like she doesn't, but she doesn't like you until then. So I walked in one time, though, and she was extra pissed, and I had a burrito in my hand. I thought maybe it was because I was eating in the theater, and I was really scared because like the lights started flashing and I was like, ah, I'm the only one here, like absolutely not, I'm going to see myself like like I don't. I don't ever want to see a ghost, you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Like, I don't, I don't.
Speaker 1: I'm not curious. I don't want to see you, like since your ViBe's fine, but like I don't want to see you so like. But it turned out that the reason she was so pissed like it was because it had rained really badly and like the roof had caved in in one part of the theater and like, so I and my friend discovered that because I went outside and waited until someone else came because I was like, her vibe is bad today. It is bad today, and I'm not going in there by myself. And then she walked in there with me and we saw the roof cave and I was like, okay, with this makes sense because her vibe was horrible. She was like, is someone going to fix this? Is someone going to fix this? And so yeah, the ones we like called the people and were like, it's going to be fixed. She calmed down, but I was like, that was intense. I was like, oh, the vibe is bad. For those of you who don't know, it's the play Macbeth. But we're not in the theater right now.
Speaker 3: Is we're literally recording something.
Speaker 1: It's not.
Speaker 2: Three times it's a theater.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, it's just theaters, guys, there's rules. Let's just theater.
Speaker 3: We rehearse in here. It's fine, it's fine, it's fine.
Speaker 1: I'll go cleanse it later. I'll go cleanse it later, okay, Sae.
Speaker 3: Fine, okay.
Speaker 2: Because I was saying what I was going to say is in a different episode and I won't tell you which one. But somebody accidentally said it during the recording of the episode and the actor was like, we have to stop everything, and had to walk three times around the perimeter.
Speaker 6: Of I'll go no no, no, no, no no no no no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 1: So okay. So the whole the whole thing for those of you who are not theater people or whatever or actors or whatever, is the the name of that play is very bad luck in the theater. Unless you are actively doing that play, you're not supposed to say that the name of that play in the theater. It's like a whole tradition thing, like, unless you were actively doing that play, you were supposed to call it Mackers or the Scottish play, and that's what you're supposed to do.
Speaker 5: So I went to see a friend's play. Yeah, I went to see a friends play last week. She did a fantastic place. My friend Susan, she's amazing. It's called The Women of Lockerby. It's a it's a play that takes place in Scotland. And I kept telling people. I was like, yeah, my friends is in she's in the Scottish play. No, not the Scottish play. Scottish Scottish play.
Speaker 1: But a Scottish but not the Scottish play.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was really sweet.
Speaker 1: I just I loved that his character trait is is British, is going to quote British ship.
Speaker 3: All the time and really really slamby on top about it. He's becoming a very interesting character.
Speaker 5: Jam Miss talks about that a little bit. I'd love to share. He says, I like Marcus quoting literature, Shakespeare included. So it's something I've peppered through is character. And though I am trying to avoid too much of it, We'll see.
Speaker 3: We'll see a lot this episode, I think, and one is a little much.
Speaker 2: I know a lot.
Speaker 5: It's a lot. And he says that, he says, you know he's talking about writing him, and he says, I don't know exactly what he's saying too. He says, I agree with you and Marcus, I don't know what the comment was. I'm finding I have the same problem with him that I have with Londo, getting him to shut up once I wire him up and let him go. He's a lot of fun to write, and that he can do the physical action stuff very well. He can do comedy more dramatic, emotional stuff, the whole range. I can take him places and do things with him that I can't in some ways for other characters, and that he only has one responsibility, whereas the others have larger responsibilities to more people. It's really you know, it's fun. And she's like, I can't, I can't stop.
Speaker 1: I can't stop some characters that are really fun to write sometimes and you're like, I can't. I have a hard time putting you down so that other people can talk.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, So I gotta I gotta say this. This was absolutely one of the episodes of all time.
Speaker 2: Okay, I was curious to know your thoughts.
Speaker 3: It was because much meaner than me.
Speaker 7: I like you.
Speaker 3: All the episodes of Babylon five I've watched, this was one of them.
Speaker 2: I am going to tell you you are like right on the brain wave of JMS gus this happens. I know.
Speaker 3: I didn't dislike him.
Speaker 2: I'm going to quote him from the Lurkers Guide. My personal evaluation of the episode is that it's okay, all right. The second half I think isn't as strong as the first half, and he explains what happened halfway through writing the episode. We had a problem come up in production that unexpectedly took me away from the script for about a week. Nothing major, but it had to be dealt with. Yeah. Usually I write copious notes on a script before I begin writing it. In this case, the story was so crystalline in my head that I just dived in and was blasting away terrific when the hit came midway through. At the time I got back, i'd lost some of the fingerprints in the story and had to sort of refined them again. Mainly, I think the expository secrets at the end could have been done better.
Speaker 3: It's so much talking. It was a lot of talking. It's not again, I'm not look, look, it was fine. It was fine. Yeah, it's fine. I would put it squarely above you know, t Ko possibly so Hunter. Yeah, definitely above Grail. What was the other one earlier this season?
Speaker 1: The weeking hating on Grail again?
Speaker 3: Grail's fine. This was a lot like Grail.
Speaker 1: I just feel like, okay when you say because for me, saying like this was one of the episodes of all time. It's like the ultimate diss where it's like I hated it.
Speaker 3: No, I would say that episode sucked, I would say, but I would spend like an hour of the discussion yelling about t k O. Right right, You know how I talked about TKO.
Speaker 2: He went on for a long time about he could have been, this, could have been, could have been. It was just a lot of what it could.
Speaker 1: I believe it. I've seen this man rant about stuff before I move ran.
Speaker 3: Here's what I'm comfortable sharing. You've seen me rant about the greatest show Stop. It's fine, It's fine. I think it's a beautifully made film. I think it's an incredible, magnificent production.
Speaker 5: I think the quote, I think the quote was it's a great musical.
Speaker 3: Seven great music videos in a trench code pretending to be a movie. That's the way he said, great music videos.
Speaker 8: The performances are phenomenal and the music is so catchy. He also goes on a rant about P. T. Barnum for a long time and how he's a very bad man and how we shouldn't be making a movie saying that he was a good man. Yeah, because he was a bad man.
Speaker 1: And that's true. He was a bad bad man, and like to pretend that he was like uplifting these people is crazy, but like, but at the same time, what a song?
Speaker 3: What are great?
Speaker 1: I am breath, I am like, wow, it's so good.
Speaker 3: Songs are fantastic.
Speaker 1: Dear Evan Hanson is also an unhinged musical Like with this.
Speaker 3: I said, just one of the episodes of all time. It's not one of the worst episodes. It's not one of the best episodes. It's one of the episodes.
Speaker 1: But see when you say that to me, that's like I would say that about when I hated Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: And to me, this was like a solid mid tier episode.
Speaker 3: You should go watch me talk about Well.
Speaker 1: No, see I've heard yeah, no, I have heard you rant before about things you don't like. Believe me, I have heard it all. I know what you sound like when you don't like something. I'm not surprised by this. This is one of the things I like best about you is when you hate something. Yeah, because you know what, here's the thing. Being married, it's fun to love something together. It's really fun to hate something together. That's also one of the things that just keeps the world moving. Like when when when when we're at a party and someone says something that I know going to talk about in the car like gone to ah, Like when something happens and you know you're going to debrief about this, that's that's one of the reasons to be alive.
Speaker 5: I'm not even going to tell you, like what what the signal and like what David may say, because then that's because I'm on a podcast right now and everyone that knows this will be like, oh, I know what that means.
Speaker 1: Yeah, whens my hold hands at something. Sometimes it's affection, and sometimes it's because we're squeezing each other's hands.
Speaker 5: So hard desperate, like to say you're.
Speaker 1: Like one time, Gus was sitting in the road in front of me because we didn't get seats together, and somebody did something in a play that he hates, and he turned his whole body around to look at me, and I was like, turn back around. We're at the theater. They can see you.
Speaker 3: It's a black box, was it?
Speaker 5: And he turns away from that person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a period of time in which there were there was there was a fortunate tendency on behalf of theater in a particular place that we lived to have a monologue toward the end of the show where somebody says don't you see we are and then say the title of the show, right and listen, new work.
Speaker 3: It's fine, yeah, we wrote.
Speaker 1: I get to do stuff in like it's like there's like trends that people will do, and you're like everyone's doing the shows.
Speaker 3: In a row where you do the whole show and then there's a big, big, long argument monologue thing and the main character is yelling at their uncle about something and they go, don't you see the so and so was us all along? And I just wanted to get up and be like shot so fuck.
Speaker 1: So this happened. This is like our tenth, our tenth like show that we had seen that this happened in, and Gus turned his entire body around to look at me, and I was like, turn back around.
Speaker 3: Everyone can see. After we cut that, I will tell you the specific dialogue because it was agregious that.
Speaker 1: Listen, we're not haters though, like no, no, no, no no, Like I've read that of course everybody had, but it was like it was this whole thing where it's like where it's it was just a particular pet beave of Guses at that point in time. But like, because it happened so much that was. It was just oversaturated for us at that point, so like, yeah, yeah, so I was like, turn turn back around, but oh fuck I but I see, if I were to say that something was one of the episodes of all time, I would say that about something I really hated.
Speaker 3: It was okay, I don' think it was terrible. It makes sense that because I was going to ask you, like, did he get really sick in the middle of this one too?
Speaker 2: And I, I don't feel like.
Speaker 5: It was that.
Speaker 3: And then as I was thinking of saying that, I just feel.
Speaker 1: Like writing is so hard that I really have a hard time hating on I'm not. I just well, even if it's passible, I.
Speaker 2: Did addes, but.
Speaker 5: I'm going to read I'm going to read an I'm going to I'm going to read another quote from the Lakers guy, because as Jenny said that you are right on, you are right on with him. I mean like people were like, he responds to this like three or four different times than the Lurkers guys, So clearly people were like, this episode wasn't great, and they're kind of calling him on it, and he says, you know, thanks, I think I don't know what he's responding to I think I've said from the get go that my view of the second half of this isn't up to the first. It is, in my view, the weakest of the season's twenty two. On the flip side, that means the other twenty one are pretty nifty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because it's so horrible, it's just.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I would I would say it nifty.
Speaker 3: If this is the worst of the episode, the season is great because this was fine. This again, this is one where I'm like, this is a this is a season three episode of Star Trek the Next Generation.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'm just but I'm just like, I don't know the man about twenty two episodes A great job.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying that his neck.
Speaker 1: Well, I also love that.
Speaker 2: He like this because this is not like this kind of responses to me would make sense after the show is done, like being like, oh, yeah, I didn't like that episode, but this one. But he's not doing this while the show is airing, like that's amazing to me that he's it is like answering questions, Oh I didn't I didn't like this episode, like talking about it while it's airy, that's wild wild.
Speaker 3: Look, here's kind of to crystallize my thoughts, which is also I'm just realizing what he was talking about. The episode was crystallized. I didn't mean to steal his verbiage, but to crystallize my thoughts. The idea of these organic libraries of Alexandria. It's cool. Unfortunately arry have that with the Soul Hunters. Oh yeah, we do already have that. We already have the idea kind of of implanted personalities, dual personalities with the Cheese Whiz a little bit. It's different, but like people being taken over, people not being who they seem, the the the I don't really see what else we can do with the jellyfish, spine monsters and it. Yeah, I get like, I understand that they need to keep themselves secret, but also like the guy knew Franklin, and it doesn't It doesn't make a lot of sense to me that these people who are like trying to make ends meet would just go like, sure, put the jellyfish in my spine, fuck me up, without you know, talking to the person who they have a connection to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they knew Marcus, they didn't know Franklin.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sorry they wouldn't. But the one guy, very very.
Speaker 5: Jellous Samuel Samuel, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but but like or or the other or Duncan men who like knew Marcus and had connections to Marcus, and I know people do ship sometimes, but it's just kind of they both knew Marcus still, and Marcus came down, was like, hey, what's going on, and they were like, I'm gonna be really fucking weird about this, Like just take him off to the side and explain the situation. M it's just him, because if you trust him, then explain it in a way that you're not like a total fucking creep about it and don't have guns on him. Like I understand again keeping it a secret, but it's just kind of like.
Speaker 5: There's even clear right of course we all have. There's the line when Stephen and and Marcus are in the in prison. Then they're in their jail cell and they're like, we could we may still hurt you. There's no gut and and he says you wouldn't understand, and then like they're like, Okay, the only way you'll understand is if we literally just like kind of kill one of us or like take your friend who was sick and make him sick. Again, although he didn't look sick when he was going off to explore the world. But you know, I was like, yeah, there could have been subtler in better ways to handle all of this all the way through it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not bad.
Speaker 3: It's just needed like two more drafts and he didn't have time. I never got JMS.
Speaker 2: I love this show.
Speaker 5: We can just take a rip on the on the lack of lack of time and time and money resource blaming.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah he is. He's not just writing. He is obviously, like if he was just writing a movie enough, but he's also show running and like supervising everything. It's a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he did.
Speaker 2: Say he never trusted not writing notes again, Like he's like, every time after this, I wrote notes because he thought that he would remember, and then when he went back he's like, oh shit.
Speaker 1: A painful. As a writer always you have to write everything down immediately.
Speaker 8: From a continuity perspective, or at least do a voice memo.
Speaker 3: Handsome Lieutenant is going to be a problem.
Speaker 2: Handsome Lieutenant. His name is Corwin. I'm going to tell you something now, just because I want to say this is a long time. No, no, no, it's just I keep biting my tongue to not say this, to tell you this, but I can't because it's just my favorite thing in the world. Charlie when she was going through this series, she kept calling him communications twig, and so I want to call him communications.
Speaker 3: Well, now he's communications to me.
Speaker 1: There's something very raw from yeah yeah about him. So I was just like, there ain't no way this guy is good. I was like, I'm automatic, I see a blonde person in cinema, I'm like, the bad blonde.
Speaker 2: He's not blonde, is he?
Speaker 1: Is he blonde?
Speaker 2: Blue eyes? Yeah?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I said, blond hair and.
Speaker 1: Blue eyed people, And I'm like, that's a bad person right there. And like, Ali, your blond hair.
Speaker 5: Like what I said, if you take communications twink and you make it into a portmanteau, it's corwin.
Speaker 1: So wait, that's so true and you're clever. Should you should write thank you? Maybe I've always said that.
Speaker 5: We'll think about it. I do want to say, I said, I said early on, I said to Gus, I was like, oh, wait, I want you to make a what what do we call it when we make a SoundBite and you can push it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I was like, I want one that says, I don't like being poked by doctors. I take that back because I forgot because it's in the allercal. Thank you. That's so much better. Let's keep that one because I don't think being poked by doctors is a line from a Clockwork Orange, which is my least favorite movie ever that I've never seen.
Speaker 1: You've never seen it, and I'm so afraid.
Speaker 5: I'm so afraid to see it. I'm so afraid to see it. I'm so afraid to see it.
Speaker 1: It's sorry.
Speaker 5: I have.
Speaker 2: Trauma associated with that movie, so I don't know if the movie is good. But I watched it with a guy who I didn't realize much like Evanova was hitting on me, and he invited me back to his place to watch it because we've been talking about the.
Speaker 1: That is a weird movie to watch with the person you're hitting on. That's the weirdest possible. There's nothing, there's nothing, no.
Speaker 2: It never occurred to me that he would be hitting on me because we were talking about o'clock or Gorrange. Well, yeah, hit a serial killer, like, but this is how he hit on me because we he was it's very difficult to explain, but he was living in a hotel at the time, because he was working at the hotel, so they had so yeah, so we went back to his room. We were on his bed because there was a bed and a television. There wasn't anything else to sit, right, So we're on his bed and the movie is going on, and then he like just starts trying to touch me and like cuddle with me. Who watching a clockwork? Right?
Speaker 3: That?
Speaker 1: No, just like that is the worst movie choice.
Speaker 5: That's when you're making the same place.
Speaker 1: There's like another worst movie choice, like Shindler's Wist.
Speaker 5: Like my version of that as Good Fellas actually, but that's not quite as bad.
Speaker 1: But I was forced by n Ex to watch Clockwork Orange, but not in like it was not a romantic setting. It was like a bunch of us but.
Speaker 2: Trying to caress my like he was. I remember his hand rubbing my.
Speaker 1: Thigh, my back. No, no, no, that is one of the least sexy movies of all time.
Speaker 3: I had this experience.
Speaker 2: So I just add on to this the layer that I'm a lesbian, Like yeah.
Speaker 1: It's I mean, there's a lot of layers. There's a lot of layers to impact that story.
Speaker 3: I had this experience with for Red October.
Speaker 2: I mean that doesn't feel quite as bad.
Speaker 1: Okay, everybody in the comments has to tell us the worst movie. Someone's trying to make out what they do.
Speaker 3: You know we ended up making out. Actually, yeah, thirteen.
Speaker 2: Years you haven't. I would remember I made up to October.
Speaker 1: You have never doing this story ever.
Speaker 2: Remember that you made out to the high school October.
Speaker 3: So well, if anybody is gonna do, it's gonna be me.
Speaker 5: It's crazy, that's.
Speaker 7: About you.
Speaker 1: Thirteen years in?
Speaker 5: Do I know you?
Speaker 1: Like, first I find out that this man had a friend in high school named Shoebag.
Speaker 3: It wasn't very close was a few months ago, to be clear.
Speaker 1: That was like friends like my friend's shoe bag.
Speaker 3: My friend Slinky was much closer with shoe Bag than I was.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, okay, But the fact that I'm thirteen years in did not know that you had a friend from high school named Shoebag.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 5: This is called mystery. This is a good way about me.
Speaker 1: You know everything about me. There's like, there's so few stories that I can pop. I don't think there's a story that I have that you have not heard at this point. And the fact that I am uncovering things about you is crazy to me.
Speaker 5: Layers, Gus Layer, it's mystery.
Speaker 1: The fact that you made out to the Hunt for Red October and are choosing now this day, I thought you the first twenty twenty six. To drop that on me is so crazy. We've been together thirteen years.
Speaker 3: I've definitely told you this.
Speaker 1: David still dropped surprises on you.
Speaker 5: Jen recently, there was something we both like, said something recently and we were like, yeah, mystery, still mystery all these years, and we love it. Every time we can, we like something come to drop like that. Also, I have to say, making out to Hunt for Red October isn't exactly like earth shattering thing that he's like, Yeah, it's seems like it's something he had to tell you nobody.
Speaker 1: It's so funny.
Speaker 5: How have I not heard that funny? Wait?
Speaker 2: Wait, wait, funny?
Speaker 1: Like you've been keeping a funny story for me. How dare you, Harlot Harlotta just keep a funny story from your wife? That's not that's crazy.
Speaker 5: Speaking of the Hunt for Red October, I have to go back to the show with it because there's irrelevance to the show early on in the episode you were one of us. Some of us said that sounded like Sean Connery, you know, like somebody voiceover something sounded like Sean Connery. One of us said it maybe I said that. I don't know, but in the beginning it sounded like Shan Connery. And then here it is. Somebody asked, was that Sean Connery's voice at the beginning, and he says.
Speaker 3: It was a voice.
Speaker 5: Then the Walla group that basically came out sounding that way, and then I'm excited to like, I imagine this whole group of people doing Walla, like the whole voiceover team doing Walla, and they're also and someone's like, I'm going to do the voice.
Speaker 2: I was going to ask you, what is a wala? I read that and I was like, I don't know what that is.
Speaker 5: Wala is when you have like background actors, like you know you've got you don't want your background actors actually like talking loudly in the like in the back of the zocalobe, Like you're like, don't talk as we were actually recording these people up here. We don't want to like have voices showing up. So afterwards you get a group of people who are often like called the loop group to do like background noise sounds like what people would be saying in the background of a place. And so if you want an announcement, you can also just like be like, hey, have one of these people do an announcement, Like that would be a PA announcement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so super awkward if you're like doing a celebration scene or something like that, because you're quietly celebrating your background, you're like yeah, and like then the job in the sound later and it's like other people.
Speaker 3: The trick that I learned for making it look like you're actually talking is you just mouth PE's and carrots over and yeah, yeah, I've heard that.
Speaker 5: Actually, there was somebody that they handed something to at the very beginning of the episode, and it was Garibaldi handed the guy something. I think it was like during that first thing, and he he was like he handed it to him, and the guy wasn't supposed to say anything, and right as Garabelle started to turn and walk away, he was like yep or thinks or something like that, and I was like, he did not have a line. He does not have a line, and you are not supposed to vocalize, and like have say a line because you get paid differently. And yeah, I was like, we you just trying to turn yourself into an under five there, mister mister.
Speaker 1: No, people absolutely try though, They absolutely try, like and and to an extent where it's like a little unhinged. Like I saw one clip of I think it was one of the Spider Man movies where like one of the extras was like doing the most to get noticed, which.
Speaker 5: Is the fastest way to get fired off the show.
Speaker 1: It is the fastest way to get fired. Like, like people give you such bad advice in Hollywood. It's like really bad. Like they'll be like they'll be like show up at their house, and you're like, do not show up at their house. You will get the police called on you so fast and everyone will know about it, like you do. Just like people will be like people like just walk into Sonyum Like, first of all, you cannot, like you cannot, they will not let you pass those gates. But second like that it is not nineteen eighty two anymore, Like you cannot walk into someplace and ask for a job. That is just not how life works anymore. And people will give you the worst advice out here. Sometimes about that kind of thing, and it's like, do not listen, do not listen. You do not want to be remembered in a bad way, like standing out can be can be gray if you're in, if you're normal about it. But that's a gamble. It's a real gamble.
Speaker 2: Okay, back to Yeah, we've got communications, Twink, we've got spine.
Speaker 3: Worms, We've got we got Yeah, you already talked about communications. Twink got synthetic.
Speaker 2: Roses and Marcus and Havanava.
Speaker 3: Why is everyone learning? Why are we doing the plot where everybody's got a thing for Havanavasava. She's gorgeous, she's very very cool character. She's she's beautiful and attractive inside and out. But I like, didn't claud you Christian specifically not want like a bunch of romance plots?
Speaker 2: This was I mean, I was gonna say this plot was Banava not realizing she's in a romance plot.
Speaker 3: That's true, that's kind of funny.
Speaker 1: He doesn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but there's now multiple multiple weird communications. Twink and Resident Hotman are both like, Havanna was so great.
Speaker 2: I don't think communications exactly. He was inter he was just like, I guess I have to yeah. I think she was like.
Speaker 5: I think he was like, does she like me? Am I supposed to like her? Should I like her? Should I bring flowers?
Speaker 1: Is this a date?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 5: I don't know if it's a date? Did I Maybe I do like her? I mean I think it's one of those like I wouldn't think of looking at my superior officer in that way until they opened the door, and then oh, maybe that's something. But I don't think he's like, I don't, okay.
Speaker 3: Fair enough, but she.
Speaker 2: To it of like is it a date? That's a very lesbian thing of just are we on a date? Or are we just hanging out? I'm not sure what's happening now.
Speaker 3: I remember reading this this Tumblr exchange for this.
Speaker 2: This Oh yeah, I was literally thinking of that exact one. Yeah, I guy trips over to girls like they're lying together on the sand, and another one oh okay, but this way it trips over of these two girls lying together on the sand and he goes, oh, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt your date, and one of them is like, oh, I mean thank you for not like for saying that, because we are both gay. But this isn't a date, and he turns to the other girl and goes, I'm sorry that you're out with such a dumb ass that she doesn't realize she's on a date with you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know, right, Oh my god, that's great.
Speaker 2: That it was very much a date.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the one I saw this woman said, guys, I'm so flustered. I'm over at this this girlfriend's house and I'm cooking dinner for her. And she just walked up behind me and like put her arms around me and gave me a hug and like kissed the back of my neck. And I don't know what to do, and she goes, what do you you cook a dinner for your girlfriend? And she kissed you what's the problem, because no, no, we're not We're not together or anything. I'm just you know, we get together at each other's houses and make dinner and like kiss sometimes. And then five minutes later she replied and said, Okay, so I brought this up to her and she looked at me funny and said, we've been dating for three months.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, we're want to talk because you and I were like six months.
Speaker 3: So to be clear, the girl in that post was like flustered because she was like, I don't know what to do. I think she's so cute. I don't know how to tell her this.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that's the problem, and this is why communication is important.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Jenny, I was gonna say, no, I haven't had that extreme of lesbian obliviousness. But I did find out after I'd been in Korea for like a year that I had been quietly rejecting advances for like a year and I had not realized it because every time I went out, Koreans have like a set list of questions. They ask you, you know, how old are you, where are you from? Blah blah blah. These are normal, but I would get asked like how old are you, where are you from? Blah blah blah? Do you live alone? And I would answer all of these questions without a problem and then move on with my life and just go on. And I was out with a group of friends, including one Korean woman, and talking We were talking about like, oh, yeah, these questions that we always get asked, and I added do you live alone? And there was just dead silence, and then Korean girls like, who is asking you if you live alone? I'm like, oh, these young girls, I need at like lesbian clubs and bars. She's like, and what do you do when they ask him? Like, I tell them I live alone, and she's like and then what I'm like, no, nothing, nothing. She's like, Jenny, they're asking you if you live alone because they want to go to your place, because nobody lives alone in Korea. And that is a question you ask because you're like, do we have a place to fuck?
Speaker 9: Like that's.
Speaker 2: For a year may quietly being like yeah, but nothing else nothing.
Speaker 1: I feel seen by that as well. I never know when someone's hitting on me, and like, listen, I'm married, so but like it still happens sometimes, like I'm out and about and I never know. I just think everyone's so friends.
Speaker 3: I am now having the most intense slashbacks to high school.
Speaker 2: And I'm very mad about it because you know how much sex I get have been having my first year in Korea then I just didn't know about.
Speaker 5: And then you've got a reputation as being the girl who's like not insistent in anybody.
Speaker 1: Well you know she'll turn you down every time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very nice. She doesn't mean about it, She just like just walks away.
Speaker 1: So funny. I'm just always like everyone's so friendly. And my friends are like that person was hitting on you and I'm like, what, yeah, which is really nice. They're like, Ali, No, okay, thank god, I haven't been single. I don't know what I would be doing. No, I have not been single my entire adult life.
Speaker 3: It's a good thing. I'm learning.
Speaker 1: It's a good thing. So so sorry, it's already a good thing, I should say, but it's extra good because I don't know what I would be doing.
Speaker 3: I think that Marcus Ivanova's stuff will continue to go in some direction. I think that, yeah, the communications twink is going to continue to be some kind of problem. Pete's foot is a framed dog and fram tabin. I don't think that the spine worms are going to come back, honestly, because we already duns.
Speaker 1: Spine worms are essential to the plot. They're going to be actually the most important. That's gonna be the most important.
Speaker 3: It always fucking is, always is. Yeah, this guy named Parrazzi come up every thirty fucking seconds.
Speaker 2: They killed the other They killed the other one, so they did mark. They didn't mention other There were they mentioned Brikiri. There were some of the corpse eating ones that were in the background.
Speaker 3: Yes, I saw that some of those too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but the corpus eating is really unfortunate. So like, I feel like we forget about them.
Speaker 3: Something about this one. There's no de Lenn, there's no Near, there's no Jakar, there's no Veer, there's no Londoedry were mentioned, but it's just like we mentioned. I'm sorry, we did talk about the rangers.
Speaker 1: You know what might be important.
Speaker 3: We talked about it.
Speaker 1: You know what might be important from this episode? Yeah, is that shadow conversation that is important?
Speaker 3: But again, it was like the whole episode is about how we're not talking about that, but that.
Speaker 1: Might be important.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sure that might.
Speaker 1: That might be a line that proves to be very important.
Speaker 3: My first thought was this spine jellyfish where they're not jellyfish, and well, it's always jellyfish. The parasites, I thought that they were like shadow advanced strike forces, conspiracy. I thought it wasn't start working stanth conspiracy.
Speaker 2: You did mention that, yeah, yeah, and that effect that effect. Incidentally, the way you reacted to it in Oh gosh, where is it in the Lurkers guide? But I think they were showing it to somebody and they could have like the person one of the producers I think, wasn't able to watch it, like it was.
Speaker 1: Hot, it gross, and they spines like I'm always like, no, not the spine, not the spine.
Speaker 2: They yeah, brought it into my office, fired it up at the TV and looked away, saying, you look, it creeps me up too much to look at it.
Speaker 5: We were all creeped out. But it also looked like a small version of the wrath of con bug, didn't it. I thought it looked like that, like the earwings, I call them air wings, and then.
Speaker 2: But they had it has that like thing at the top, like and in case, but he.
Speaker 5: Happened to see the Instagram thing that went viral this week, or like the person was like looking up at her ceiling and she has like one of those boob lights on the ceiling, the lights that look like a titty on the ceiling and you're watching it. You all know.
Speaker 2: I have one.
Speaker 5: Sorry, I live in between years. So anyway, the light turned on and you could see something moving around and now my first no, My first was like no it I thought it was goldfish. At first, I'm like, wait, you can't have goldfish and scorpions.
Speaker 1: No, multiple scorpions scorpions plural, No, No, one scorpion is a nightmare. Two scorpions is like I would burn the house to the ground. I would.
Speaker 5: Somebody's coming up.
Speaker 1: Enough for that to happen to me that we're gonna pretend like I didn't hear about that being possibility, because that is because I hear that if you focus on a thought for more than seventeen seconds, it begins to manifest in your life. Well, we're gone, it's got We're gone. That's crazy. No, No, I would never stop screaming. I would.
Speaker 3: That.
Speaker 1: See I've kind of okay, here's here's what happened. I was out in Japan. As we know, we haven't stopped talking about it, and so because it was awesome.
Speaker 3: Talking about twice this whole episode, well to.
Speaker 1: Them, we have a subject. But so so I went into this bathroom and this hike, and I was too distracted by the fact that it was kind of gross in there on the bottom area. I neglected to look up until I was in a very vulnerable state. Look up, and there are so many spiders over my head, just like slowly coming down. It was the most high steaks bet I've ever.
Speaker 3: Had in my life. I there so.
Speaker 1: Spiders of of ungodly sizes. Like it was not like a chill like like teenie. No, these were like this fucking big coming down toward my fucking head. And I came out. I was like, Gus, you need to check me all over my body right now because I'm about to lose it.
Speaker 2: Like I'm not.
Speaker 1: I'm not I wouldn't say like a rachnophobic, but I don't want them on my body.
Speaker 5: It was so many.
Speaker 1: I made him go look. I was like, go look in this women's bathroom. I don't care, like I'll give you special permission to go in there. And I was like, you need to see the nightmare that was above my head just now. It was so many. I was like, it was a godly amounts of spiders and moths and other bugs. But like most so yeah, and mostly spiders.
Speaker 3: Were in the woods north of Osaka.
Speaker 1: It was fun, yeah, but but p somewhere else. Yeah, I protest, do not go in that bathroom because you know what we should have known, because there were bug pictures outside of each bathroom.
Speaker 3: We kept making jokes.
Speaker 1: We kept making jokes about it. We're like oh, that's the B bathroom.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well and the mock bathroom, because you know, you go to Japan. I'm not gonna talk about your Pan that much, but you go to Japan, you can talk about all the toilets are great.
Speaker 1: And until this bathroom bathroom.
Speaker 3: And so we're walking, we're doing this hike and there's this it was the minnow Falls and you know, I guess it's two us. There was there's a bathroom with the art of a B a B on the other side. I said, this one is the B day. And we kept walking and there was one with a beetle. I said, this is the beatle a or the big beatle or something.
Speaker 7: We just.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the Butterfly Day, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then I came out of a bathroom. I was like, they weren't kidding about the bugs that actually that was the Warning.
Speaker 5: Spider Day.
Speaker 7: Day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: It was terrifying.
Speaker 5: Mhm.
Speaker 2: The purpose of this episode, my guess you can, like you know, can help me as writers, but I think it was just like this is we're gonna let you spend some time with Marcus.
Speaker 5: Does that?
Speaker 1: Yes, this was a show like Marcus is a character.
Speaker 5: Episode it even said it up that way with the whole like we're not letting him into he can't come into your hearts, like you know, it was like, yeah, he can't sit with us at the cool cands table. And you know it's interesting too because the fact that he didn't have a communicator. I was just like, I assume that's because like that's for staff. That's fair. Yeah, right, but no, but it's really funny because actually JMS says something.
Speaker 2: He says, yes, I was going to be that next day, you got it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, why doesn't Marcus wear a link? And then JMS says, I just summoned up Marcus in my he head. Here's what he said, because I won't wear the bloody thing. That's why. Bad enough you've got those pages you wear in nineteen ninety six, No privacy, no chance to get away, always at somebody's beck and call. Why not just put a leash around your neck and get it over with. It'd be faster and a good deal more. Honest. I'm down than the bar, trying to be inconspicuous, dangerous characters on all sides, trying not to be noticed. And the link goes off and I'm dead or at minimum seriously thumped no, absolutely not. You'll never get me to wear one of those. That's fair, yes, and GMS says, this is, by the way, the reason I absolutely refused to wear a pager myself, because this was in the time of pagers.
Speaker 2: Yes, I am also gonna I'm going to disabuse us of one of my favorite bits from the show, just because it's the amount of comments I got about it is. They're right, Sheridan likely didn't put his link up his bike.
Speaker 3: Don't like it wasn't Actually I don't care it was. It was nestled between the cheeks.
Speaker 5: It was on it.
Speaker 2: That's actually likely true that it was nestled between the cheeks. It attaches to your skin. It's like genetically bonded. You attach it to your skin.
Speaker 3: It was on the butthole, just because I know.
Speaker 5: I saw a lot of people who actually said no, he just put it on his butt cheek. He just like slapped it on his butt cheek, And I'm like, why is that any safer to get getting searched?
Speaker 2: Then, like, ye, put it in the butt That's why I guess it's between the cheeks.
Speaker 1: It also made a grunting noise you got it. There was effort, There was effort, effort, Yes, it was. It was.
Speaker 3: It was between the cheeks, Okay, I understand. It was that we need to be pedantic sometimes, and you're all right. He didn't jam it. He didn't.
Speaker 1: He didn't want to hate fun. But it was between it's up his ass.
Speaker 2: Is too easy to see. So yeah, I would guess between the cheeks.
Speaker 1: Would Yeah, No, it was he grunted. That means something in America, Okay, because at that point you just.
Speaker 3: Put in your pocket, Like if you just want to put in your pocket, you gotta put it in a different pocket, different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, slap it on your chest then, don't.
Speaker 3: Be silly, you gotta you gotta put it where it's not going to be found between the cheeks.
Speaker 1: Minimum it was on the taint. Now like, ladies and gentlemen of the jury.
Speaker 3: That's worse.
Speaker 1: I'm never gonna get hired in this town again. Very high. Anyways, So children.
Speaker 2: Love butt jokes, anyway, they do.
Speaker 5: I have early Walt Disney. Actually every current I mean that's like every Walt Disney cartoon has but chets.
Speaker 1: Ladies and Gentlemen the jury. I present to you the concept of fun the concept of comedy. It was in the percept of we're having a good time talking about butts. Don't take this from us into twenty twenty six, the year of our Lord, we are allowed to joke about asses. Yeah, and it was up the ass.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna totally hardcore steer us away from that for a second, just because this is just a note that I thought was I thought was interesting when we are first introduced to Duncan. He's got this weird wallpaper behind his head that looks like a halo, the way that he was lying there, and I thought that was like that that has to be on purpose that they gave him like some sort of angelic do just not.
Speaker 5: Cool cool.
Speaker 1: A lot of the time. I saw this recently, and I like that if a couple's not going to end up together, they'll have scenes with a barrier between them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I know. Ever since I did those costume videos that you can't watch Ali, but there's costume videos, uh, from the from the Wheel of Time show with Pez where she analyzed, like analyzed costumes that looked for clues. I see stuff all the time. I'm like, oh, they're these two, they're going to get together, because even though they're not in a scene together, I could tell they literally matched.
Speaker 1: Clothes that mirror each other.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, blue is the protagonist color. So the protagonists wore blue stuff like that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's wild that they points stuff. I'm like, oh, it's a spoiler. Literally, yea costumes. It's cool, kind of cool.
Speaker 3: You want to know the other one?
Speaker 2: But which is the other one?
Speaker 1: This one ruined iPhone?
Speaker 3: The iPhone thing. Yeah, it's in iPhone's terms of service that if you use you cannot use an iPhone in a way that negatively represents the Apple brand. Yeah. If you are making a murder mystery or mystery with a villain in it and one person has a non Apple phone.
Speaker 1: They're the killers.
Speaker 3: They're the problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is uh, this is the case in a particular. I don't want to say the name of it because it just gives it away, but you can bleep this the only guilty person with Android, right.
Speaker 1: So Gus and I were watching the movie and we both were like, well.
Speaker 2: We know who it is. Yeah, damn the That's not a not a problem in Korean movies because they all have Samsung, they all and they all none of them put none of them put cases on their phones, and it drives me insane. They're all walking around like sat with naked phone.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. Have you ever known someone in the wild that does that. It's like the craziest thing to see you, like.
Speaker 2: Myself, see your phone's tits coming up like.
Speaker 1: That's just naked. It's it's exposed to be, isn't it on display? Like to me, that's such an air of confidence that I just certain I just do not possess. I'm like, I dropped my phone once a sentence like.
Speaker 3: How so if Bruce were a phone, where would he put his? Right right in there, right up the.
Speaker 1: Charger charging port? Yes, we all know that right up there. But yeah, no that that's always a wild thing to see, is somebody without a phone case. You're like.
Speaker 3: Confidence than I do.
Speaker 1: You You trust yourself a crazy about like to your point where I don't feel safe around.
Speaker 3: You anything else on this one. By the way, you keep talking about this. I'm sorry, I thought.
Speaker 2: I literally have nothing else in this episode, like I have nothing else.
Speaker 5: For this one.
Speaker 3: I mean I know you have a you have a cutoff, right, Yeah? Did I make that? Oh?
Speaker 2: Not today?
Speaker 3: Not today? Never mind me shoot the shadow care. It's fine, it's.
Speaker 2: Okay, But I also know that you guys are jet lagged beyond anything. And I literally like we're shooting the ship. And that's not because I have nothing else to say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because for you, it's one thirty PM. In my head, it's also one thirty thing I.
Speaker 1: Will ever die on. As he put that thing right up, and he did it for America, America.
Speaker 2: I'm not American.
Speaker 1: America.
Speaker 2: Will this come out around?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: Yeah, come jan you did not join in? Do you hate America?
Speaker 5: No? I could sing every line to Lee Greenwood song and just let me don't. You don't want me to get started, like you're.
Speaker 1: Like, I'm gen x Okay, I just want do you know how many fourth July story?
Speaker 5: Like you know, like I saw You're like.
Speaker 1: You're fat, you're traumatized. Millennial.
Speaker 2: Didn't let you know how not patriotic that song is. He made a version of it for Canada. There's like a it's just a shell, like it's just.
Speaker 3: Get that bag.
Speaker 2: You want a version of this song? Yes, I'm proud to be.
Speaker 3: Dance Freedom and the character third where I.
Speaker 5: Was just today talking about actually about the soundtrack to Team America. I'm gonna go sing that version instead. I mean, all of them America. I love that fucking soundtrack so fucking much.
Speaker 3: When when when I was in the Scouts, whenever you whenever you got Eagle Scout, you could do like this PowerPoint presentation with pictures from your from your time and the troop and your favorite memories. You can put whatever song you want. Two thirds of the people in the group picked that goddamn song, and I went No, Dragon Force through the Fire in the Flames.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was like, all right, because the Scouts just such a cool instant.
Speaker 3: No, because I like Dragon Force a lot.
Speaker 1: When I'm like, are just imagining these other nerds judging, Like, yeah, who are.
Speaker 3: You to judge me? Not particularly nerdy?
Speaker 1: It's not particularly dirty, No, I always thought. I mean the uniforms really do like not do you guys anything?
Speaker 2: They have a kerchief, don't you work?
Speaker 3: That's optional?
Speaker 2: The chief is optional.
Speaker 3: Chief is sorry.
Speaker 1: I got kicked out of the Girl Scouts, so I have grud.
Speaker 3: I had fun. It's an interesting organization. I was asked to leave.
Speaker 5: I didn't get invited into Brownies. I didn't even get let me join.
Speaker 1: Every kid, why wouldn't they let you join?
Speaker 5: They had too many girls, They wouldn't too many girls.
Speaker 1: That's terrible, that's terrible. See, okay, all right, so there you go. I listen. I don't want the girl Scouts coming after me. I don't even cared that the boys girls. I don't want to make enemies with a powerful institution.
Speaker 2: There is a whole behind the mast series on the Boys was alarming.
Speaker 3: So this problem is she's with it. I mean I have learned a lot from it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Gus loved being a Scout and his dad was a Scout and his grandfather was a Scout. But it's a whole thing.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of problems with.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but don't come for us.
Speaker 3: I no, no, because I want to. I remember I would go to National Jamboreze and I would also go to World Scout Jamborees, and the World Scout Jamborees were amazing because it's all about the international.
Speaker 2: It went in Korea a couple of years ago, but it would turned into a mess, like there are some the big problems with it. I can't remember it was national news here, but oh I.
Speaker 3: Went to one in London in two thousand and seven, I think. But then I would go to National Scout Jambreze and they were just like Urrah America America UHRA helicopters, and it's just like, what the fuck is this? This is not this is not fellowship, This is not what I signed up for. This is just like jingoism. This is not what I'm doing this for. But anyway, I'm sorry, I've got completely off topic.
Speaker 7: No, no.
Speaker 3: Market.
Speaker 1: My favorite thing, my favorite wait and then we'll talk about markets. But my favorite thing is that so the only other Scouts so in America, the boys Scouts is you know, like it's only boys, but the the other Scout well, okay, back in the day, and the only other Scouts troop that that was true about was Saudi Arabia. And then like every other country it was, it was co ed, and so Gus would go to these international things with all the American boys and all the other troops would yell sausage Fest told me.
Speaker 3: I don't know that that's what your dad told me.
Speaker 2: Maybe that was when you're that was in your dad's time.
Speaker 1: Maybe that was in your dad's time.
Speaker 3: I don't remember that.
Speaker 1: That does feel like a lot your dad's story but.
Speaker 3: I did think it was funny that every other country was. I don't think it's co ed now. I think there are troops of boys and troops of girls now, which is still like just fucking mixed for fus sake. Yeah, for a fox, I could be wrong. I'll look it up. Don't correct me. It's fine. But we would go these things and it would be like, the Italians are over there, it's just a bunch of kids. The Koreans are over there, It's just a bunch of kids. It's just people hanging out over here.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, anyway, anyway, Marcus is great. This episode was one of the episodes I've seen and I liked the I liked the parasite effect. I thought that was very good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a deeply fact.
Speaker 2: When I realized this will be the first episode when you got back from Japan, I was like, oh.
Speaker 3: They're already tired.
Speaker 1: You already woke me up, to be honest, exadly wake me up. Actually it was fun like it would have been a soothing episode. This would have not gone as well for me. I think that was not a soothing shot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I may eat and sleep, yeah A sorry, nothing else. So yeah, well, thanks, this was fun. I'm glad y'all didn't have y'all viewers, there was no break for you, but we had a long hiatus and I missed it.
Speaker 9: I know.
Speaker 5: It's since we've seen each other.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, talking about.
Speaker 9: My friends, you have reached the most dangerous part of our journey, the Gray Council. Here we speak of things that must not be spoken, secrets, betrayals, spoilers. If you are not ready turned back now that if you dare to proceed, I promise you it will be.
Speaker 3: Manificent. We forget Abaldi.
Speaker 2: Well, there isn't March very spoilery in this one at all. I thought it was funny that they thought Corwin was gonna die, because no, he lives through the entire series. Yeah, do you have I have a couple of notes, but not many.
Speaker 5: The only well one of the notes, I mean, I like his predictions Marcus and levanva that like, yeah, Corwin will be an issue just in terms of like you know, like his his devotion to Earth. No more parasites. He's right about them too, we never see them again. But I also thought that Jos says, like at the top of the Lurkers Guide, he says that this is the last or maybe he doesn't say it. Is it not in the Lurkers guy, where is it? This is the last non arc episode for a while for Yeah. Yeah, and I you know, I almost said something like this is one of those one offs, and I was like, I'm not going to say it because it does start to ramp up right after this one. Yeah, everything for the rest of the season is pretty well, is pretty plot important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Corwin, I find like it's it's very you can tell who JLS likes writing for and like who is a Keffer because like Coorwan is his side character, but he has a full personality and you know, like he gets he gets that like you see even like if you go back and watch episodes previous to this, he has like these small little lines, but his personality stays consistent yeah, through the show and later when he actually will join them later. Yeah, but it is it does feel consistent with his personality where they're like are you okay with this? In the middle of I Forget, like there's something happening where that where Babylon fib is literally doing something against the orders of Earth, and they're like, are you okay, and he's like, I think I think so, I think I am, which feels very consistent with his whole thing with Ivanova of like, is it a date?
Speaker 5: I guess so. I mean I think he's actually well, really well written in that way of like he's a young officer's he you know, he's gotten his first promotion. So obviously the day after your promotion, if you're asking somebody, would you ever not take like that is a big test. He's like, basactly, are you testing me? Like am I?
Speaker 2: I mean?
Speaker 5: I know I'm supposed to think for myself, but also, like you know, obviously I'm I'm on board with the military because I just got promotion. Yeah, you know, and it's it's a it's a fun interesting and then he just doesn't like understand anything about social well also Ivanova is it doesn't.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's they're both oblivious to what's happening.
Speaker 5: Like she's hilarious her like, no, maybe we should go somewhere a little more private, come to my quarters. Exactly, it's just great. It's great.
Speaker 2: No, No, I oh, I meant I could have talked about this actually while all of you were here, because it's not a spoiler thing. It's just a I one of the things I notice a lot watching shows, and it doesn't happen so much in newer shows, I guess because so many people have commented on it that new writers fix it. But the way scenes end often feel really awkward to me. And that scene as like you commented on while the episode was happening, she should have kept talking after she confirmed that he was not, like, but just to end the scene is weird, like he literally handed her back the coffee like.
Speaker 5: It was she just handed on the coffee, is like, I guess I'll go here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And there's been a couple of scenes like that in this show, like where people like they finish their conversation and then like the important part, the only part that we need to see, and then one of them will just like walk away, and you know you need to there needs to. That's not how people interact. We don't like I've said all the important stuff and then I walk away.
Speaker 5: But it's also funny here because it just makes Ivanova a really bad spy, Like yes she's because she's like, Okay, I got the information I needed, I'm done, and you're not useful. So by e and I'm like, you can't, you can't, that's not you can't, not just like not how people work, but like that's just bad spy behavior. You're you suck at this. Yes, the Rangers going to have words with you.
Speaker 2: Yes. I wonder like if there's a was a point in writing where people were like, oh, no, that's not how humans behave, although they still I still see it so much on television shows where people just hang up phones and they don't say goodbye, and I was like, that's stopping, right, say goodbye, say goodbye in English, they don't do it in Korean, and Korean they just hang up. It's yeah Korean. That is Phone culture is very interesting. They have a different word for hello on the phone, Like they have a word that means hello on y s or young, but when you answer a phone you say yoba sal, which is a completely different word wow and yeah. And then often though, if you're answering the phone from somebody that you know or like, and it shocks me every single time, even after ten years, you just say way, which is why, like space, thay, why are you calling?
Speaker 5: Oh that's perfect, so amazing.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna start doing that I'm just going to start doing that in English and fuck with people.
Speaker 2: Why yeah, why did you call in this year of twenty twenty six when you should be texting? It's great anyway, that's a whole thing. H Cormyn. I like him as a character. I think he's yeah, like, yeah, he's one of the things.
Speaker 5: He's delightfully awkward and charming, and it really like the way he should.
Speaker 2: Be realistic way, yeah, very realistic way.
Speaker 5: It's great.
Speaker 2: Other things I liked from this episode that I think are things that carry forward are like we get Marcus Steve Buddy pop yeah, yeah, yeah, and they're I think they work really well together. I think they have good chemistry and yeah, it works.
Speaker 5: But I did feel like I felt like your Baldi was badly written in this episode, you know, and then he was like he was like I'm not going to check a thing out about like down below. He's always like I know everything that's happening down there, and that just I mean, it was obviously a device so that we could make it Steven who goes with him, and yeah, it felt it bothered me. And also like we just even Sheridan in this one I thought was written strangely when he was just sort of like can you go find out? Is he can you? And I was like, he's literally been sitting on the bridge. Every time you guys have an important conversation, he's four feet away from you, and you're like, let's not talk about the fact that the shadows and the things that we don't know yet. And then and then now that he's promoted, what does that even give him? I was just like it all felt like a lot of things that were just being placed there for the device of it, and I was not buying any of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I could see it. I could see it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, which again is like part of the idea, Like like I think that just like goes the dovetails with what Gods was saying about about it needed a different draft it did. He doesn't have time. He does not have time to either read the script before they start shooting it, and then like in retrospect, after you put it all together, you're like, yeah, that wasn't set up as well as it needed to be. Yeah, but you know, that's that's part of working on a limited time, limited budget and the way that the way in which they were cranking these out.
Speaker 2: Exactly doing it all well everything. The only other note I have is a weird aside that Ali said while like we were recording here was I was like they were talking about the Aliens and how it's always a Drawsie, and I mentioned they mentioned the bricurri and then we saw the the Paquara the corpse eating aliens, and Ali said, yeah, but the corpse s eating is unfortunate, so we kind of forget about them. That's actually a plot point later on when the uh, the Paquara want to join the Rangers, and like, I think this is season five, so it's very far on, but they don't know what to do with the pac Mora because they like, they're not very good at certain things, and eventually they realize, yeah, no, nobody likes to think about the pac Mara because they eat corpses. There were a perfect spies and current heres like. That's because everybody like on purpose ignores them because right, so right, like that's a function that they have that makes them powerful.
Speaker 5: That's great.
Speaker 2: So I just thought it was interesting that she calls that out here, and that's the thing that becomes an issue in much later. But yeah, as as you said, this is not really an ARC episode. I do think it was a Marcus Seating episode.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well we had that. We had that weird thing where he was out for so many because they had to switch the order of a few and so we had this really big gap of like this introduction, this intense introduction to him in the first episode of season three, and then and then nothing for a long time and then like just a little bit of pepper. It wasn't like we didn't really get so yeah, this is like, Okay, I need you all to pay attention because he is going to be important and he's going to be doing a lot, and we need to remind people that this whole he's got this network, this Ranger network, that's happening and yeah, yeah, and then this is who he really is. And it was very much just like this is a character who cares about people, who can be in the face of danger and still talking about the girl he likes, you know, and trying to get intel on her and like it's you know, and making jokes and also sacrifice himself like a couple times, like he when they took Stephen out and he was like yes, he was like no, no, no, take me, not even knowing what they were doing. He was just like, I, you know, like his nobility comes through in this a lot. So it just was it's just a place. This is just the like we spent through two seasons already getting to know the other characters. This is our like it's to know Marcus exactly. And in that sense, it's like, I don't care that the rest of it doesn't make a sh ton of sense, Like it doesn't really matter because that's what the important part is here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like the this is not I don't I agree with JMS and with Gus that this is not like my one of my favorite episodes. However, it has character moments that I just really enjoy. Like I really like that Corwin subplot. I just think it's funny.
Speaker 5: Oh it's hilarious. It's hilarious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and everything with Marcus, like, I just enjoy him. I think he's a fun character to follow, and obviously for you know, the people who enjoy looking at gentlemen, he is a pleasant he's pleasant on the eyes, right, So he's a good character.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, and you can tell.
Speaker 2: And as Jamas says here in the Lookers Grid, as we read, Jamas just likes writing him, his voices, his lines flow, even though he talks a lot. Yes, he definitely uses a lot of words, but I don't think there's anything else to say about this one. So well. Yeah, thank you so much for joining us for this one. If you like this podcast, am'd like to see the reaction, which just up on YouTube. You can check that out. You can join our Patreon where you get early access to this. You get ad free versions of the audio podcast, you get un edited versions of the reactions, you get random stuff that we dropped there for fun. I don't know, you get all that stuff. And yeah, you can like and subscribe, rate review the hype. I'm sure it's good.
Speaker 1: I don't know why, but do it.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I will see you for the next one. Bye bye.
Speaker 1: Making them the Firs