Speaker 1: Welcome to the Trauma Therapists Podcast. My name is gaming Person. I interview incredible people who've dedicated their lives to helping those who've been impacted by trauma. A big thank you to our sponsors and our guests who are supporting this show. So five four, three, two and one, our folks, welcome back to the podcast. Very excited. How us My guest today Zeta Tomlin Zetta Welcome.
Speaker 2: Hi guy, Thank you for having me. I'm looking forward to talking to you awesome.
Speaker 1: Zetta is an author, therapist, coach and recognized leader in the field of hypnotherapy. She's the chair of the British Association of Therapeutic Hypnotists, vice chair of the UK Confederation of Hypnotherapy Organizations, and she serves as a trustee for the Research Council for Complimentary Medicine. Set has also served as CEO of Children with Age Charity and Vice chair of Mama Biashara charity supporting grassroots projects in Kenya. She's the author of four books, The Trauma Effect, Exploring and Resolving Inherited trauma, Genes, Don't Lie, Dnare Results and Family Secrets, among others. Prior to her career in therapies that have worked in the media as a director of Kronos Group Publishing and his group head at News International Rights. That up obviously obviously just a little bit about you, but share with our listeners before you get going, where you're from originally and where you are currently.
Speaker 2: I was born in England and I live and work in England, though sometimes across in Germany as well. And I've had an interesting journey towards a work in therapy through as you've outlined, a business background that then ended up in the world of therapy through my own physical illness that caused me to need to change direction and then a whole lot of new learning came my way on that journey.
Speaker 1: Well that's the perfect entree, so let's go. How did all this start for you?
Speaker 2: I had viral and caphalitis and at the time I was a CEO of a charity in London at the peak of my career.
Speaker 1: Viral and which is what It's a.
Speaker 2: Bit like meningitis. The brain swells and you have all sorts of physical problems and left me at the age of thirty four with difficulties seeing I couldn't read, I couldn't write, I couldn't watch television, I couldn't cope with any light. So my life went from great success to a sort of avoid of nothingness. And I was looking at how to recover, and one day a friend suggested I went for some hypnotherapy to help me with my sleep and to help me kind of deal with the situation I found myself in this sudden change. I think the thing I found most difficult was I didn't know how to be Zetta without the identity of my work all the other things I'd been doing. I had to really dig deep into myself my sense of identity, and time is very long. When you can't read a book or watch a television program, you really have to dig deep into yourself. And I had this experience of hypnotherapy which was.
Speaker 1: Like, I gotta pause you here because you're saying these amazing things and you're jumping over these juicy parts. So way do it. You're you're you got this job, you're loving it, you're successful. What were you doing specifically?
Speaker 2: I was a CEO of a charity in London.
Speaker 1: Okay, so how do these symptoms start to appear?
Speaker 2: I just I just became really ill. One day I had terrible head pain. I was being sick. I couldn't function. I was just really really ill, and for six weeks I couldn't get out of bed. You know, I was really bad.
Speaker 1: So you go to the doctor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well they're not sure at first, and then gradually they decide I've got in catholitis and I had to I'm told I need to change the way I live my life. A doctor looked at me and said, well, you know, you're not going to be able to read a book again. You're not going to be able to do all sorts of things, so just change the way you live your life. And I'm somebody who I wasn't prepared to just give in at this point. You know, I could have just sort of said, well, this is my life now, I'm going to be limited and just do what I can do. But I wasn't prepared to accept that that was the way things were.
Speaker 1: What were the proposed treatments.
Speaker 2: Well, it wasn't. I mean, once I'd recovered, I mean I was no longer seriously ill, but it left brain damage in my brain stem, and so it left me with some problems. And it's how I was going to live with those problems, and I bought it. I mean, we're going back along time now. I'm sixty now, so we're going back to technology was much more simple. But I bought a huge scanner device that was worked like a reading machine and it would read out text to me so I could work, you know, get books. There were some audio books available, but I was trying to think, how can I manage my life? I got an audio diary and all sorts of things. But over time, gradually my site began to improve and things began to get better for me. I think the hypnotherapy helped me a lot, and it made me think I want to know how to do this, so I started to become a hypnotherapist at a time.
Speaker 1: Hang on, hang on. What was talked to us about your experience with hypnotherapy and how did you get to hypnotherapy? Were you just like so desperate, try anything.
Speaker 2: I'll try anything. And a friend recommended it to me and said, have you thought of doing this? And I had some hypnotherapy which got me sleeping properly again My sleep had been very disturbed. Helped me with my pain management. I had really bad headaches which were quite debilitating, and I thought I want to understand how this works because I'm feeling a lot better. I'm feeling physically a lot better, psychologically a lot better. So I approached a trainer and said, will you train me? I should I've never trained someone who couldn't see to read and write. You know, obviously we'll have to do things very slightly differently. I was with a group of people. What was interesting about it was, though, because I couldn't sit and read a script or look things up. Everything had to be in my head.
Speaker 1: So I.
Speaker 2: Had to learn scripts I wrote. I had to learn how it all worked. I took my exam orally, whereas everyone else of writing an exam paper, I had to answer questions that were directed to me. Obviously, you have practical demonstrations as well. But I found it very, very enjoyable and liberating and found I could do something. So I started to work as a hypnotherapist as a time when I was beginning to see more. I could take a few notes, I could do a little bit, and gradually I began to get more and more recovery. And my doctors said, it's amazing, your brain has kind of re rooted around the brain damaged area through the work that you've done, and I've got I mean, I'm not one hundred percent, but I've reached a level of recovery I could never have dreamed of.
Speaker 1: Take us, hang on, Zetta, Take us back to your first experience with hypnotherapy.
Speaker 2: Well, at first, I thought, this isn't going to work for me. I don't know how, I don't know how I'll relax into it. I feel, oh, I feel a bit stressed and anxious. How's that going to be? But within five minutes I was loving it, the relaxation I felt. I finally felt someone had some answers for me, and I responded really well to it.
Speaker 1: So when you say hypnotherapy in your particular specific experience, were was that a single episode? Was that multiple episodes.
Speaker 2: Of all I had? I had some hypnotherapy a few sessions, and then when I began to train, we all practiced on each other and the trainer practiced on me. So I was having quite regular hypnotherapy for about a year really, And then you know, during that process, I got stronger and stronger, and I continue to do a lot of work with self hypnosis. You know, I changed the way I lived my life a lot and understood the power of suggestion and belief, and I wasn't prepared to believe I was done at thirty four, you know, and so I began to rebuild my life, and that belief I think I had in myself helped my recovery. And I'm not saying we can't Obviously we can't heal everything. I'm not making any ground claims, but I think we can work with certain conditions and using the power of belief too, because if we believe things are going to go wrong, they're more likely to do. So we just have to look at the placebo effect and the no cibo effect. I find that fascinating. I did a lot of research in writing my books around the power of suggestion and how people respond to this. For example, there was a research project done at a university in Munich and they were doing a trial of antidepressants and one of the people on the trial took an overdose of a placebo antidepressant but went into respiratory arrest and began, you know, his system began to shut down because he believed he had taken an overdose and so just that belief had made his system shut down. So what we believe is so important, and I brought that passion into my work that I do with my clients. Now, we're not big on self disclosure to our clients because it's about them, it's not about me. If I feel a little bit about my story will help my client, then I will tell them. And this took me on a longer journey with what I learned from my clients and what made me reflect more, which brought me more into trauma. I mean, I guess what happened to me suddenly losing everything and having to start again, that was a trauma. But I began to look at how trauma affects a family.
Speaker 1: Soft family.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I found myself working as a hypnotherapist with people obviously who've experienced trauma themselves, but also people who'd had trauma within their family. So that could be a parent or a sibling. There could be a suicide in the family, or there could be abuse of a parent, a parent could have been raped, or going back generations, I've worked with quite a few grandchildren of Holocaust survivors, and I began to notice in this work how trauma was affecting everybody in the family. I guess I knew from my own experience when I got ill and I couldn't work, this affect my parents. They were really distressed about what was going on for me, and their life changed as a result because they had to support me a lot. But then I was looking at other people's traumas in their families and what sort of behaviors was it bringing in. How were people being affected both physically and psychologically, And I began to notice certain patterns which fascinated me, and then I wanted to know more about it, and it led to me reflecting again to my own story. Because we learn most through ourselves, I think as a vehicle that there was a trauma in my father's generation, and I suddenly had a revelatory moment when I realized I was still being affected by what had happened in his family when he was younger, and how these things can affect us with our psychological behaviors but also physically. I just don't think we can separate the mind and the body. I went to a PTSD conference in London a few years ago, and a professor stood up and said, when did we as physicians decide to separate the mind from the body. We need to bring them back together because people with trauma, for example, fifty percent of people with trauma report pain, physical pain, and there's also medically undiagnosed symptoms that people with trauma present with. Now, if you've grown up in a family with someone with trauma, what are you learning in that environment? And this is what fascinates.
Speaker 1: Me, whether consciously or subconsciously.
Speaker 2: Right, often subconscious. For example, I'll give you an example. If you have a wounded parent, as I had. I had a wounded father, your care all goes into supporting that person. You want them to be okay. You don't understand what's wrong. There's possibly secrecy around what is wrong because you're a child and you're not allowed to necessarily know, And so you start to protect the wounded parent. You go into giving mode. And they talk about this idea of merging. You merge with a wounded parent, and therefore your boundaries become weak, and it's all about we and not about I, and you don't develop a strong sense of self. And if you haven't developed a strong sense of self, your boundaries will be very weak in all your relationships. And I began to notice this within the clients I was working with so often a wounded parent, often a mother actually in a lot of the work I've done, though in my case I had a kind of a wounded father. But protecting the parent becomes really important at the detriment of the child, and then they learn about you know, they have to look after everybody and they don't look after themselves. And this comes out a lot with people who've been in a family where there's trauma also loyalty to the family. We pull together to deal with this trauma that's happened in our family and repel kind of all outsiders. You have to stay loyal and there's a price to that loyalty. You develop unconscious patterns around different behaviors which might be guilt, blame, shame, and these things are more likely to happen if the trauma event that's affected the family is something that's sort of socially difficult, like there's a suicide in the family. We don't talk about it. We mustn't talk about it. It doesn't look good for our family that that's happened.
Speaker 1: Let me just pause you here for a second. I'm really struck by your stories that I mean, here, you were the CEO of this children's charity. You start to experience these symptoms which have this major impact and influence on your life and your health, and you're The way you're speaking now is would you ever thought that you'd be sitting here talking about I mean, it's really amazing, and it's it's so inspiring to hear you. The shift that unfolded for you.
Speaker 2: It was life changing, and you know you have these people will say sometimes, oh, a terrible thing happened to me, but the good came out of it. I mean, I don't know if you've you know, Michael J. Fox has talked about his Parkinson's and how it has changed his life in a positive way as well as obviously all the negatives and my kind of illness took me on a completely different direction. I would never have dreamt of been a therapist. I was a very businesswoman type person. No, I was very organized, telling people what to do.
Speaker 1: And it's so interesting because obviously the way you were speaking and the work you've done, it's almost like, well, I'm correct me if I'm wrong here, but you tapped into this other strength resource energy, like you opened this other door in your being.
Speaker 2: And I have to say I'm much happier as a therapist than I ever was as a c And each day, you know, I'm working with a lot of individuals with really awful stories, you know, and when you see their lives begin to shift and they're beginning to heal, this is just so wonderful, isn't it. I mean, it's just what a gift to be able to help somebody. I can't andy. It sounds trit doesn't it, But it really is wonderful.
Speaker 1: I don't want to remind everyone I'm speaking with. Zeta Tomlin, author therapist coach. Her books include The Trauma Effect as well as The Healing Metaphor and self Help self Hypnosis. So let me ask you something and I kind of miss this here, but what drew you to this topic of trauma in your clients?
Speaker 2: I think it just it intrigued me because I saw the impact it was happening on everyone around them, whether I was working with the individual who was traumatized, or whether I was working with someone from a family whether was trauma. I was incredibly aware of the impact that was rippling out. Just fascinated me. You know, there was one family in which there was a suicide and I ended working with the mother, three cousins, a grandmother, you know, all people in this family. I helped one and then they said, all you know, go and see Zestra shall help you deal with this. And I was working through different family members to help them move through that experience. And you know, I find myself quite often working with more than one member of a family because they've been affected by the same issue, but it may have manifested in different ways for them.
Speaker 1: Are you using a solely hypnotherapy.
Speaker 2: I use I use hypnotherapy, I use CBT, I use NLC, and I do some coaching work with people, so it's kind of a blend and it depends what suits individual. And I think my own journey of healing, whether it be my illness and getting back on track. And I've worked with quite a few people who have had serious illnesses that need help getting back on track. One in particular, who had really extreme grief when their father died. They were very close to the father, and then they didn't cope well with that grief. Then they became very seriously unwell and it took them a couple of years to begin to recover. And someone send them to me, and I've helped her on her journey of recovery, and she's now talking to other people about how you recover from illness when you've been in a state of real distress, and how you need to deal often with what's underneath it, like for her, that terrible grief. We had to work with that as part of her journey to healing her physical illness. So it's just interesting how many different ways trauma can come into people's lives, and often it's not your own, you know, if it's somebody else, it's trauma, and you learn from them, for example, to dissociate from emotional situations, because that's what your parents does, so that's what you then do. It's not your problem, it's their problem, but you're enacting their response to that problem, and you're going to carry that into your children's lives, you know. I've read so widely on this, a lovely book by a woman called Emily wander Cohen called Generation after Generation, and her mother was in a concentration camp, and there were many ways in which this affected bringing up her children. But one was a perfectionism her mother, because she'd been in a concentration camp. You don't want to draw attention to yourself by getting something wrong, you have to keep be right. You have to be good to stay safe. You know, that's how you stay safe. So she had this incredible perfectionism which she brought into her family, and then they were trying to live up to this perfectionism and it created a lot of problems for them. So it's so interesting how you trace the psychological responses to a trauma. But how infect I think, in fact is not too strong a word a family and then everyone is responding to that and learning different ways of being. Guilt is something that so many families have. For example, if there's a suicide in a family, everyone takes on guilt for not having saved that person, and then that might go on to the next generation that that guilt. Shame, you know, I'm ashamed of my family. Shame is a very interesting emotion because in our development it had a role. I'm sure you've come across this that we have to be safe, we had to be part of the tribe, and so we don't want to do anything that will get us ejected from the tribe or we will die in isolation. So shame was an emotion that developed for us to keep us behaving in a certain way, to keep us safe within the tribe. So shame can come into a family where something's happened. Maybe it could be an abuse, situational rape, but also it is that you can feel shame. But if it's not your shame, and you learn shame, how can you deal with it? Because it's not your shame or blame? You know, the safe thing to do is to blame someone else for what happens to me. And so we learn to blame other people rather than taking responsibility for our own lives. And blame is a really passive place to be. It's a stark place to be because if you're projecting out and blaming somebody else, you're stuck in a passive position. You're not taking control. And these are all the kinds of emotions that come into the trauma situation. So I came to it, I guess from my own trauma and how I responded to that. But then I began to reflect on my family trauma and what happened in my father's generation, which happened before I was born, and I remember Sai.
Speaker 1: Well, obviously you've found out about that through curiosity and research.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I've been told I was never allowed to ask questions about I mean, in brief, and I don't want to get into the insouts of it. But my aunt and her three children all died, and this was something that wasn't talked about. There was a picture of her in my grandmother's home, but we didn't talk about it. So it was a secret. And secrets are really scary. Secrets make us quite fear full, and dealing with the reality is often better than the secret. There's a really good writer who wrote a book, Gabrielle Schwab, on the haunting of secrets and trauma in a family. And it's like fighting shadows because you don't know what it is. I wasn't allowed to know about it. My father, up until he died, said I don't want you to research this. I want you to promise me not to look into this, because I don't want you to be hurt by what happened in the family. And I am hurt by what happened in the family. You know, you've had this secret all these years. You won't talk about it. And as I began to unpack it, I realized how much it had influenced his behavior, how he had clunged me as a child because these three he had lost two nephews and a niece under the age of eleven when he was a young man, and so I was the surviving child in this family. My father only had one sibling, so when I was born, I was like those that survivor. I was the only person coming out of this family. So I was really clung to and various behaviors came out of this experience as I began to understand it more, and so yes, it was only after he died I felt I could research it, and I did, and it was a very it was a very emotional journey because it was a story in that involved newspaper headlines. You know, I was seeing headlines about my own family in the press going back to the nineteen fifties and all before I was born. And I, you know, I remember saying to my mother, you know, gosh, how could you think this wouldn't affect me, because my mother's still alive, And she said, well, you know, it happened before you were born. And we started to talk about it, and I started to explain to her, a woman in her now nineties, how this trauma had affected her marriage, her life, our life, and we needed to work with the healing, you know, it needed to end. Now that healing needed took her and I'm very proud of how she's gone on this journey with me. A little bit because we'll be watching television together. Some s got, oh, Darling, that's generational trauma, isn't it what's happening there? And I'll go, yes, yes it is, and I'm delighted, and I really and it led to me writing the book The Trauma Effect, which is in part my own journey, and then sort of looking at the themes of guilt, playing shame, all the things that come out of it, and then how to deal with it, because when I was researching all this, it's a lot of people discussing the theory and the ideas and all the things that happen and can come out of generational trauma, which is quite a hot topic at the moment, whether it be a whole society that can be affected like colonialism more or or individual a generational trauma. But no one was telling you what to do to make it better, you know, And that's what I thought, someone needs to can't want to do to make it better. So I'm going to hear myself and I'm going to take that information and show other people how to do it. And that's that's the journey I went with in that book. And then within three days of writing the last full Stop, I had a new door open. And I suddenly found out I had a half sibling I didn't know about. Through a DNA test just to find out my genealogy, you know, where where were all my roots? And I suddenly found I had a half sibling I didn't know about. I'm an only card, spent fifty six years as an only child. Suddenly I had a sibling I didn't know about. I thought, I thought I'd now dealt with all the family trauma, and now I have a new subject. And I thought, what does this mean? You know, because suddenly my identity changed. And then I became really interested in identity. I've been the only child that has that's a real label. I wasn't anymore, and I had a half sibling. And I had to share my dad with somebody. He's dead, but I still had to share. I had to share, to learn to share. And I went through this process almost like a child when the second child is born and being a bit of a tantrum. He's my dad and I've got to learn to share my dad now and through I did meet my half sister, who is wonderful, a delight. I couldn't have somebody better in my life. But then her world was turned up soon because she didn't know either, and she started saying to me, but there's no help. I don't know where to turn. You know, I'm not who I thought I was. My identity is blown completely out of the water. There's a podcast, there's not many books. What do I do? So here's another journey. I need to go on another healing journey. How do you integrate that? How do you deal with it? And the number of DNA tests out there now, people doing this stuff to find out where they come from. It's a huge you know, I hear everywhere I turned. Now there's another story. Oh I found out I had a siping. I found it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Zeta, we have to wind down. You're incredible. Oh you you are really incredible. You're such an inspiration. My gosh. That a Tomlin. The books The Trauma Effect, exploring and resolving inherited trauma, as well as the healing metaphor hypnotherapy scripts. Your story is amazing. Love to have you back here. How yeah, I appreciate really really you got me fired up. How do people learn more about you and what you're doing? Well.
Speaker 2: I have a website which is my symptom. My name is Zeta Tomlin dot com and my books are available through bookshops through Amazon as usual, so you can find out more about me there.
Speaker 1: Okay, thanks, we'll have all You're welcome. We'll have all this linked done at the show notes page at the Trauma Therapist podcast dot com. Zetta loved meeting you. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I've really enjoyed to you.
Speaker 1: Thank you all right, appreciate it