Speaker 1: Good morning, everyone. I'm Susan Dimas, the executive editor here at Lincoln Square.
Speaker 2: And I'm Sam Osterhout, the executive producer here at Lincoln Square.
Speaker 1: And welcome to the weekly assignment where Sam and I talk with you about what's coming up this week on Lincoln Square, the latest headlines, and what we can all do to fight back against authoritarianism. Today, we have Dr. Rob Davidson joining us again.
Speaker 2: Dr.
Speaker 1: Rob is Executive Director of the Committee to Protect Healthcare. He's an ER physician in West Michigan, and he is the co-host of the Paging America podcast, and you can find him on Substack. Dr. Davidson, thank you so much for being here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's great to be here with both of you. I've talked to each of you individually, but I feel privileged to be on with both of you.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you. Well, I think we should probably start with this latest measles outbreak because we are a little bit south of 3,000 measles cases, which is the highest we've seen in this country since 1991. We've already blown past the number of cases we had last year. And this year, we have at least one measles death in Pennsylvania, another that could be related. And I know you are in the ER almost every day. You're kind of the first line of defense. What are you seeing out there in terms of where we're at with measles and other infectious diseases?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't currently work in states where there are massive outbreaks happening, you know, thankfully. I'm not in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, where that kind of the focus has been the last week or so. But like, we're always vigilant. And I think the key is like, you know, you're always vigilant for even, even weird things. Uh, we're always taught if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras, you know, measles used to be a zebra, right? Those things that you're not thinking it's very likely. Um, it's definitely, uh, when you see a kid with a rash and a fever, I mean, most of them aren't measles, you know, but you're definitely given a second look, you're looking inside their cheek for other certain findings.
Speaker 3: You're, you're even like going.
Speaker 4: Back to your desktop station and kind of doing a little search because I'd be honest, I haven't seen measles, right? Thankfully, I practice in an era in which measles basically has been gone. And so it's sort of an emerging thing for those of us who are kind of later career physicians, sort of, we have to re-engage with these diseases. We thought we had if not eradicated, at least made essentially zero by mass vaccination programs, and they're coming back.
Speaker 1: But we've seen vaccination rates fall across the country. There are some states where there are no counties that actually are at herd immunity, at 95% immunity. And our Department of Health and Human Services is run by RFK Jr., who is probably the most famous anti- vaccine activists out there. So can you talk with us about the impact of this anti-vax movement and the impact it's having on people's health, especially children?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think that's the real shame because kids have no say in it, right?
Speaker 3: They were born.
Speaker 4: They were born into a world in which there's massive streams of disinformation about so much, but certainly about vaccines and And sometimes their parents have kind of bought into that. When I see a family bring their kid in and they currently say, no, we don't vaccinate. I've never, and even more so, I try so hard not to feel judgment. Certainly never would express that. Because I think these parents, I know as I see them with their kid, they love their kid as much as I love my kid's. and they think they're doing the right thing for their kids, and they've been steered astray. So really, our ire should be focused on the kind of influencers peddling disinformation and profiting off of it.
Speaker 3: RFK Jr.
Speaker 4: you know, at the Children's Health Defense, you know, he profited off of lawsuits against the vaccine makers of Gardasil that actually prevents cervical cancer, like a vaccine that presents cancer, and the guy made money off of suing them. I mean, and so it's really troubling because those are the people we should be, you know, upset with and somehow going after Somehow, right? And implicating them, genuinely implicating them in these preventable illnesses and sometimes preventable deaths.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we have a clip of RFK Jr. talking about it. Let's roll that clip and we'll discuss.
Speaker 3: We'll say this.
Speaker 5: In 10 years, there have been three measles deaths in America. There are now about 1.2 million deaths every year from food-induced illness. The media and certain demagogue politicians are constantly trying to scare us about infectious disease.
Speaker 3: And we take the.
Speaker 5: Attention away from the chronic disease that is being caused by powerful entities, by big food companies, by big pharmaceutical companies, And what I'm trying to do as HHS Secretary, one, deal with the infectious disease outbreaks, which we're doing, but also redirect attention and resources to the thing that's really killing Americans, which are foodborne diseases.
Speaker 2: So, I mean, there's so much to unpack there. First is that, like, obviously. Because we need to focus on food, we can't focus on infectious diseases, which is a silly thing to say, but also that the measure of the impact of measles is only on the number of people it kills. Right, right. Which is not, do you want to, does anybody really want to get measles?
Speaker 3: Right, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, he made it sound, from five years ago in Lancaster County, he made it sound like it was a walk in the park. He got to sit home and watch TV. Here's what he's also saying there is, There have only been that many deaths, right? Not that many cases. This year is one of those years, like we've just blown past last year and the most in 35 years, as you said.
Speaker 3: Why do we think that is?
Speaker 4: It's because of the vaccine for measles. Let's go to the 10 years before the MMR vaccine, right? Let's look at how many deaths or how many illnesses, how many severe illnesses We had cases of encephalitis, pneumonia, people in the ICU. I don't have that data at my fingertips. He could certainly find it, but he's almost proving the point. Yeah, in the last 10 years, not that many deaths. That's a good thing, right? That's a really good thing. Thank you to vaccines.
Speaker 3: Thank you, MMR.
Speaker 4: The problem is the numbers are waning and he has got this huge mouthpiece. He's had a big platform.
Speaker 3: He's used it.
Speaker 4: Like you said, he's probably the most famous vaccine denier or anti-vax influencer out there. but now he's got the ultimate megaphone, right? He's got HHS, he's got all the levers of the government and they can alter the CDC website, which has happened multiple times related to these cases out of Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I think all of that.
Speaker 4: The other piece is like, okay, so if foodborne illness is a big deal, yes, we should be doing both, right? You're running a big department, you should be able to handle both of those things. What department of the government is tasked to prevent people from dying of foodborne illness? Also the one that he runs seems like maybe something wrong there, you know?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I mean, we, we have seen just a rash of, of recalls during the summer. Oh, sorry.
Speaker 3: Too on the nose there. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But I mean, it's, it's every, everything from lettuce to blueberries to jalapenos, guacamole, salsa, donuts, tofu.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And that's just off the top of my head. There have been many more. Doctor, can you talk with us about the fact that under HHS, we've had fewer inspections of companies. We've had a lot of staff that has been purged from Doge that were responsible for some of these agencies that maybe people thought were boring, but were actually doing life-saving work. And in addition to people being sick and thousands of people, we have had some deaths due to these recalls. Can you talk with us about what the situation is there and what it would look like to have a functional HHS during these times?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, you look at the departments under HHS, particularly the FDA, USDA, that might be under agriculture, but You know, they are tasked with like the whole of government is tasked with so many things in our daily lives.
Speaker 3: One of them we should.
Speaker 4: Expect is that our food supplies are safe, you know, that we don't have to think about it. And I go back and forth because public health and the government related to public health should be out there communicating regularly with us. about what they're doing and about, you know, kind of how they're keeping us safe. But a lot of what they do should go sort of unnoticed. You shouldn't have to, like, think twice before you take a bite of a burrito with lettuce on it. And now, I mean, let's, I don't, I hate making predictions, but now, I don't know if you saw the interview with Trump, with Glenn Beck on.
Speaker 3: The Blaze about cattle, about processing of beef.
Speaker 4: And like, we need to relax, you know, that so they can process it, you know, at the ranch or, you know, smaller processors. And Trump then announced the next day, you know, I don't know how legit this announcement is. It came via his true social, but like he wants to deregulate that. Now, fewer inspections, let him just process it. Cyclosporiasis, yes, there were a couple of deaths in my state of Michigan. Mostly a nuisance, a really nasty nuisance you don't want, you know, the explosive diarrhea.
Speaker 3: Like contaminated beef, E.
Speaker 2: Coli, 01578.
Speaker 4: 0157H7, like that causes kidney failure. Like young people, like we, I remember back in the day, this may be gosh, eighties, nineties, the Jack in the box out in the West coast, you know, big problem with hamburgers. I mean, We see cases sporadically.
Speaker 3: We see little mini outbreaks.
Speaker 4: If we start having now the deregulation and lack of inspections of our beef supply, Trump also somehow made some deal for cheap beef.
Speaker 3: I don't know about you.
Speaker 4: I don't want the word cheap to be in front of the food that I'm getting as like a positive thing. We don't have to cost less, yes, but to have the government find us sources of these foods that they call cheap, seems, seems like, like the recipe for disaster.
Speaker 2: Um, I, you know, I, I wonder about RFK Jr. and his, you know, Trump has no sort of center, right? He doesn't have a belief system other than Trump, other than himself. But RFK Jr. uh, is one of these guys who, you know, exudes belief system, right? Uh, he, it's, it's a, um, a blind faith in his own sort of wisdom.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: What is the center of that? Is it just that he believes the human body was meant to heal itself or that. Where does this shit come from?
Speaker 3: I mean, maybe the brain worm. I don't know.
Speaker 4: But, you know, it seems like he's come to this job and certainly came to prominence with a deep distrust, A, of vaccines, but B, of, and this was accelerated during COVID, of sort of the deep, quote, deep state, right? The apparatus put in place to keep us safe. And he sort of has a conception of ulterior motives of those of us simply trying to protect folks, simply trying to keep people safe. You know, he's peddled the disinformation about COVID back during the pandemic at the peak of it.
Speaker 3: And continues to do so with vaccines now.
Speaker 4: He even refers back to COVID, like, oh, they're talking about it like they did during COVID.
Speaker 3: Whenever I talked about what was happening.
Speaker 4: Related to COVID, it was like what we were literally seeing in the hospital, people who were blue with an oxygen of 50% being pulled out of their cars and put into a gurney and trying to save their life. And just trying to give people a little bit of a look behind the curtain, like, this is what's actually going on. Here's why you should try not to get this thing. And, and so he comes to it with that. And if you have that preconceived notion, you can find so much information.
Speaker 3: Out there to corroborate that, right.
Speaker 4: To, to, to like, you get this, this bias going in and there's all sorts of people putting out fake studies and, and, and what they're calling research, you know, the, If you look at like drugs like ivermectin, where people will say, well, I treated thousands of people with ivermectin and none of them died of COVID. A, we don't know if that's true. B, I mean, if I treat thousands of people who are otherwise healthy with a glass of water who had COVID, the vast majority of those people aren't going to die.
Speaker 3: Maybe none of them will die. And I don't think it had anything to do with the glass of water. But RFK Jr. latches onto that and then repeats it and does it at the highest level. And there you go. Conspiracy theory, you know, exploded. It's yeah, it's tough.
Speaker 2: I mean, even, look, back then, friends of mine who knew better would say things like, there was a panel on ivermectin, and a doctor talked about it in front of Congress, and that video is nowhere to be found. And of course, I go to C-SPAN, and it's just right there. You just have to search for it. But because it was bullshit, nobody played it anymore. And so it's just these causations, correlations, that don't make sense to some people. And it's, it's, uh, uh, very dangerous.
Speaker 4: We used to, so I remember in training, we always tried to, and I still do try to practice evidence-based medicine, right? Whatever the best evidence shows at the time and evidence changes, data changes, and we have to adjust. But that there was a thing that people would call eminence-based medicine. Like if someone, an eminent physician would say something was true, people would latch onto that. And that kind of was how medicine was practiced for a very long time because we didn't have anything else, you know, like so-and-so said, this was the truth. And it's like, okay, we're going to go down that path. Well, I feel like in RFK Jr. 's world and sort of this world of anti-vax and distrust of organized medicine, there's a lot of that, right? They get a name that they trust that they think, you know, speaking the truth and like whatever they say and whatever little data points they'll put out there, they latch onto it. And, and RFK Jr. I think is somewhat of a victim to that. I mean, he wants to, right. He is, he is primed and he's ready to go. So like the guy's not innocent and all this, but he doesn't know any better. You can tell when he talks the kind of the fake science mumbo jumbo that he uses, he clearly doesn't understand what he's talking about, but he says it with some degree of authority and challenges reporters. Like, why don't you know this? And, and that's the clip. That's what people see.
Speaker 1: What, RFK Jr. seems to be very skilled at doing is exploiting people's fears and distrust and their uncertainty. And he first started to do that with parents who were concerned about their children's autism diagnosis and they were searching for answers. And he came at it with a very easily wrapped up answer. It's the vaccines. They turned your child autistic and this is something for you to blame and this is an explanation for you during a very challenging time. And I mean, we've seen that even the president of the United States seems to be a wholehearted adherent to that viewpoint and is signing executive orders from the Oval Office to that degree. But then during COVID, when there was so much we didn't know and we were learning on the fly. And of course, there were things that that physicians got wrong because we didn't have all the information. But out of that uncertainty and the distrust that a lot of people had comes in bad actors like RFK Jr. And they're there to fill in the gaps and to tell you there's some villain out there and don't believe authority. Just believe me. And now he is in the most powerful position for a health authority in this country. And I'm watching that video, doctor. And I have to say, like, this is not the person I would put out there as like a paragon of health. He's older, his voice is weak. If this is what eating non-processed food looks like and not getting vaccinated looks like, I would like an alternative because this is not like the guy that I'm looking at for health advice. Can you talk with us about this propaganda that he's so good at You know, contrasting with this image that he puts out there where, you know, I think anybody would kind of have this concern about following this guy's regimen, even if he can do shirtless pushups.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in blue jeans, in a hot tub. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, his diet of sauerkraut. I mean, I think we learned that from Rubio recently, right? He carries around a cooler full of sauerkraut. Like, man, I don't want to be on a plane next.
Speaker 3: To that guy.
Speaker 1: I know, his breath must be terrible.
Speaker 4: I think of The Office when Oscar had salad sandwiches in that, if you guys are fans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so.
Speaker 3: it's tough.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think Tim Wells tried the line, like these guys are just weird. And it, it obviously it didn't work in some ways, but it is, it is weird.
Speaker 3: I don't understand.
Speaker 4: I can't explain why that like folks would choose. I mean, he was clearly chosen for this spot. He was promised something when he peddled around his endorsement after he ended his, you know, as he was planning to end his presidential campaign, I've written about this, um, back in the summer of 2024, reporting is that he peddled it to both sides. Like, hey, who wants my endorsement? And their reporting is that the Kamala Harris campaign said, yeah.
Speaker 3: We don't want it. We don't want to talk to you.
Speaker 4: And, you know, the Trump campaign took him on, obviously, and it would seem that. He promised him a cabinet spot. And really, it was about coalition management. You know, bringing the group of MAHA voters that were adherents to RFK Jr.
Speaker 3: And all that he represented, into MAGA.
Speaker 4: Now you see now a year and a half, a couple of years on that, that divorce happening between MAHA and MAGA because of glyphosate, right? Because they're, they're, they backtracked on, on pesticides and they're really not doing anything to protect the food supply.
Speaker 3: In fact, things are getting worse.
Speaker 4: And they're still peddling vaccine denialism and skepticism and disinformation and But if you look at the polling on Maha adherence, vaccines are not their top issue.
Speaker 3: They're near the bottom.
Speaker 4: I mean, they're not, you know, food and pesticides and affordable health care.
Speaker 3: Like these are what a lot of these folks are thinking about. We've talked about a lot on our podcast, like Democrats have to pay attention because there's a lot that the Democratic Party and a lot of leaders in the Democratic Party stand for, you know, like, you know, protecting our food supply, like affordable health care.
Speaker 4: That folks in the Maha movement absolutely are with us on. And if there's a small percentage where the vaccine issue is their key issue, yeah, we're not gonna be together on that. And we'll try to keep putting out the right information and hopefully folks will make good choices to protect their kids and themselves. But yeah, I think really he came to the, administration.
Speaker 3: Purely for political reasons.
Speaker 4: Like, how do we get that group of people to come in and vote and put them over the edge? And, you know, a lot of measures would say it worked. That's, you know, pretty slim margins in seven states that got Trump elected. And Maha probably was a significant part of that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It looks like he's going to, RFK is going to run for president or think about running for president as well. But I think that there's something here because we talk about his myths and disinfo a lot and the way he spreads false facts and confusion and sows doubt and all of these kinds of things. But there's another thing that's important to remember and that's he's just inept. He's really bad at his job. And you can see that he's a bad administrator. All he is is a soundbite. And the soundbites are bad, right? They're confusing and all of the things. And so we have, like we were talking about the tofu that we can't eat anymore and the lettuce and the donuts for some reason, which is weird to me. But do you think there will be.
Speaker 3: The results of.
Speaker 2: His ineptitude are showing every day. Is this breaking through?
Speaker 4: It's tough, because he's such a big mouthpiece, right? It's kind of what he wants to talk about is what's talked about. The three of us will see the reporting of him just not really caring about what goes on, kind of getting bored with the actual administration of the department. And, you know, kind of how all these foodborne illnesses are coming about and how he's talking about them being such a big deal. And yet still, while he's at the helm, they are happening. Like, we'll see that because we're looking for that and we're kind of looking with a keen eye. It's really hard to say how much of that breaks through to the folks out there we have to get to, you know, to the folks. I mean, I would say it's going to be a big job, right? If we can steer this thing in the right direction and if after, you know, 26 and 28, The politics can determine sort of a better group of people making decisions at the top. Then I think getting to all those folks who still listen to RFK Jr., who still, unfortunately, listen to folks like Joe Rogan. I just saw a resurface clip about him saying, oh, tetanus isn't that big a deal. I take personal offense to that because that is the one vaccine in the ER that we do give.
Speaker 3: We give tetanus boosters, right? We don't give MMR. We don't give COVID vaccines. We give tetanus boosters. And like, I haven't seen tetanus, the disease. Thank God.
Speaker 4: But to say it's not a big deal, but like these massive platforms spreading this craziness from people who clearly don't know anything about real disease, that's such a huge job that we're going to have to all take on. And, you know, part of it's going to be the government, part of it's going to be us, you folks, you know, people out there who are just interested in a healthier America that are going to have to drown out the noise coming from folks like RFK.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I've even seen that there's a backlash to wearing sunscreen now. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Increasingly, people think that sunscreen is worse than sun.
Speaker 4: It's so weird because I do think a lot of the COVID disinformation amplified this in a very kind of fast track. People are looking for sort of more convenient ways of saying they're being healthy and And like, so if it's more convenient to eat more saturated fats and someone tells you in the food pyramid, yep, that's okay.
Speaker 3: We want that. We want that in there. Or like, yeah, you don't have to slather that.
Speaker 4: I don't like wearing sunscreen or, you know, spraying it on or wiping it on. It's kind of sometimes greasy and it's, yeah, you know, I'm a runner. I put it on most of the time. When I don't, I pay for it. And so if someone tells you, no, that's actually bad for you. The sun is better for you. It's like, oh, okay, cool. That's a lot easier. I don't have to worry about it. You know, someone tells you during COVID, no, you don't have to distance. You don't have to wear a mask. You don't have to get that shot.
Speaker 3: You can do whatever you want.
Speaker 4: And if you happen to get sick, you can take this really cheap drug that, you know, we tell you works, you know, that actually doesn't, ivermectin, hydroxychloroquine, whatever.
Speaker 3: But it's just more convenient, you know.
Speaker 4: Same thing with the cruelty of RFK coming to prominence, telling parents of kids with autism that, you know, the vaccines caused it. Because the more complicated answer is we don't know exactly what. probably a combination of something genetic, something in utero, something environmental, who knows, right? Like, and, and there are thoughts, there are ideas and people are still researching.
Speaker 3: We don't have an answer.
Speaker 4: Then someone comes along and says, it's this, A, you should feel bad because you did this to your kid. B, you don't have to do it to your other kids and other people don't have to do to their kids.
Speaker 3: So help, you know, come along and join the team. That's it.
Speaker 5: Boom.
Speaker 3: Easy fix. Don't get that. Don't get that shot. You won't get autism. It's really sad. It's really cruel. But it also kind of is a path of less resistance for people to try to imagine that they are doing the right thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: What a horrible message. I've always thought it is that you're basically telling parents that it's worse for their children to get autism than to die of measles. I mean, there are so many thriving people who are on the spectrum and contribute so much. And to demonize the condition that their children have and to say it would be worse for them to have that than to actually die of diseases like mumps and measles. Talk about getting everything just back ass words. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And even like even the government even gave a nod to some of the disinformation related to mercury, thimerosal. They kind of took thimerosal out of vaccines, even though the kind of mercury that is thimerosal isn't any health risk whatsoever. The mercury that comes from coal-fired power plants that gets into the water system gets.
Speaker 3: Primarily into fish.
Speaker 4: You know, that huge, huge crisis, this administration, right, is famously like, oh, they want to get back to coal, right? Want to keep churning out, right? And so, you know, even when you, I feel like, you know, say, okay, we're going to, we'll give an inch. We'll do this thing because you keep talking about it and we got to have you stop talking about it. A, they still talk about it. B, it had no impact on like autism or any other illnesses.
Speaker 3: And it wasn't an right? It wasn't enough. Okay. We'll move on to the next thing.
Speaker 4: It's this shot. It's that shot. It's too many shots. It's the combined nature of the shots. Now Trump has said about four weeks ago, right? We're going to split them up, even though it's not, it's not available that way. We're going to, we're going to issue an executive order, have a press conference to.
Speaker 3: Split these up. Like, it's like, whatever you do, what happens when you split them up, right? It makes it harder to get.
Speaker 4: It makes it, you know, makes more visits to the doctor, more shots for the kids.
Speaker 3: Just what we want to do is give our kids more shots. Like, I don't know. It's almost like why appease, right? Because there's no end.
Speaker 4: There'll just be something else that someone will say that you're doing to them.
Speaker 2: For sure. And I feel like the appeasement also lends the disinformation cause. It's like, well, if it wasn't bad, then why did you take it out? And I think that all of these regulations fall squarely on the poor, right?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Folks with less access and poor and rural, of course.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And a great fix for our health care system would be to fix poverty. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: 90 percent. We always learned it's probably more than that.
Speaker 4: About 90 percent of people's health actually has nothing to do with what happens in a.
Speaker 3: Hospital or doctor's office or pharmacy. It has everything to do with.
Speaker 4: What's happening in their physical world, whether it be the air or the water, having green spaces, exercise, the diet, all of those things. So yeah, and they've clearly shown that the lack of any interest in making those aspects of people's lives better, and in fact, with In addition, we talk, I talk about the Medicaid cuts and the big ugly bill, you know, the snap cuts, right.
Speaker 3: Taking away food from kids, you know.
Speaker 4: Like absolutely has an impact on people's health. And it's, you know, in the name of tax cuts for billionaires, really not a concern for these guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I wanted to talk with you, Dr. Rob, because back in 2018, healthcare was perhaps the biggest issue in the election. And that was the year that you were running for Congress. It seems like it has been a real secondary issue this election. And I'm very curious why, because ACA premiums are up 21.7% by design based on cuts that Congress has passed. Next year, we're expecting that the impact of that big, beautiful bill will hit even harder where up to 10 million people could lose Medicaid coverage. premiums for health care, whether you're on the ACA or not, are expected to skyrocket as well. Why is it that this has not been as big of an issue? Because this is one of the things that really is impacting people's pocketbooks right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I will tell you at the Committee for Direct Health Care in particular, we're making it a big issue, you know, in states with targeted Senate races, in targeted congressional districts.
Speaker 3: We are making it a big issue.
Speaker 4: I mean, we just had a multi-state press call and in Kansas, because Kansas is on the map and there's a doctor senator there, Roger Marshall, who apparently said, I was just on a call this morning recounting the press hits that came from a press call, including a physician, from Kansas, where Dr.
Speaker 3: Senator Marshall said, oh, there were no cuts to Medicaid, right?
Speaker 4: We have no idea what he was talking about. He just said it, right? I guess if you say it, then people will just hear it that way. And so, yeah, I mean, I think it is an issue and it will continue to be. I think the other piece that the healthcare issue gets buried in is just the cost, right?
Speaker 3: Everything costs too much. And a huge part of people's budgets is health insurance.
Speaker 4: And particularly with the ACA premium subsidies going away, that's not something people had to wait for. The Medicaid cuts largely are going to be coming, like you said, after the midterms over the next several years are going to come into full effect. But 3 million people lost health insurance related specifically to the ACA premiums. and hospitals showed, you know, increases in uninsured people showing up at the hospitals. So, yeah, I mean, I guess it's hard to say at any moment. I don't think we, on our podcast, we talked to Will Lawrence, who's a congressional candidate for the Dems in Michigan 7, right, running against Tom Barrett, trying to take back that seat. And, you know, he said he never thought data centers were going to be a part of his campaign. It's the biggest part of his campaign, and who knows why he's I mean, I think data centers are a big concern for people and it's taken on this huge piece of what people are talking about in these races. But yeah, we're still talking about health care and I think people still really care about it. And I think it's going to be for a significant number of people, a reason why they are going to hold the Republicans who voted for all these cuts accountable.
Speaker 1: Well, Dr. Rob, I hope that you'll be back with us because we do want to keep reporting on health care in the run-up to the midterms and, of course, be holding RFK Jr. accountable for whatever else comes our way. Can you tell us the best way that people can find your work?
Speaker 4: Yeah, certainly at the Committee to Protect Health Care, committeetoprotect.org, but then definitely check out Paging America.
Speaker 3: Go to YouTube, subscribe on YouTube. Happy to see you there.
Speaker 4: Here on Substack as well, we'd love to have you follow along. We're just trying to bring this information on a weekly basis and more than weekly basis many times so that people can kind of have the best understanding possible, particularly of how healthcare and politics intersect and how the votes the folks take in D.C. and in the state capitals really do impact people's lives.
Speaker 2: Before you go, I just want to give you one idea from the chat. Patrick suggests that we just put vaccines in the chemtrails.
Speaker 3: And what?
Speaker 2: In the chemtrails. Oh, jeez.
Speaker 3: There we go. Yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And somehow the tinfoil hats will attract the vaccines to you.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: Thanks.
Speaker 2: Thanks, Dr.
Speaker 3: Rob. See you guys.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Patrick comes in with comments.
Speaker 1: Hey, whatever it takes, right?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, before we get to what's on this week... as Sam and I have been chatting online about the fact that one of our favorite actors, Tim Curry passed away last week, and we both have special affection for him from the, the movie clue, which we have both forced our children to watch many a time. Sam and I are roughly the same age. We're, we're basically the same person, but we, you know, obviously we've both seen Rocky horror and, and many other things he's been in, but it, that movie I felt like was so underrated and he was so good in it. And we, we, we, you know, there's so many memorable moments from that movie. So I just want to take a moment to acknowledge Tim Curry, because we've, we've heard from a lot of you as well about his passing and Dolly Parton as well.
Speaker 2: And think about this. I was, on, you know, looking at Tim Curry stuff over the weekend. And he recapped, like he basically ran through the entire movie at the end of the movie of Clue for the other actors. And he did it three times in quick succession. It was that, it was just incredible. It is my favorite movie. And actually my, I was a couple of weeks ago, it was like, Hazel, my kid, what's your favorite movie? And she was like, well, probably Clue. I was like, oh, I did it. I did. That was the only my only achievement as a father. And if that was the only achievement, I would be happy.
Speaker 1: I watched that movie actually for the first time with my daughter and with my husband. And they started to get very annoyed with me because I was reciting half the lines of the movie. And I totally understand how annoying that is, but like that's how indelible the impact was. And there were so many great actors. I mean, Martin Mull was in it and Leslie Ann Warren. Madeline Kahn was phenomenal. And we've lost so many of these actors, actually. But Tim Curry was the glue of the movie. And when I first watched it, I don't know, I think it came out when I was in fourth grade. That seems right to me. Like, I did not know the Red Scare satire. I did not pick up on that. But when I watched it again in college, I was like, this is an excellent commentary, actually.
Speaker 2: It is. And the funniest thing, and I had to explain it to the girls, I was like, it's funny because they're so scared of socialists, but it's not really scary anymore. Does that make sense? And now it's come back full circle, right? That everyone, there's a hysteria about socialists and it's a system. I was like, it's just a system of governance that is either good or bad or somewhere in between.
Speaker 1: There could be a really funny mashup, I'm sure, with Donald Trump's diatribes about communism and then with communism was just a red herring.
Speaker 2: A red herring.
Speaker 3: The best line of.
Speaker 1: The movie said repeatedly anyway.
Speaker 2: Um, so, uh, and by the way, I used it as a framework for my, uh, for a piece that is, I think it's out today, right? Um, and if you can imagine, I tied it into a talk on climate change, which is a weird, it's a weird sort of framework. Maybe it didn't work. Maybe it, no, it works. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And, and it's, it, I know that so many times you would do those tie-ins with winners and losers. And so I always enjoy how you're able to bring things full circle. But yeah, that is up right now on Lincoln Square. And part three will be next week.
Speaker 5: Yes. Great.
Speaker 1: Well, coming up this week, actually to the day, Ellie Leonard, who writes the Panicked Writer substack and covers the Epstein files in depth as an independent journalist, she will be on with Frank Fugluzzi. That should be a really great episode. I know I've always enjoyed talking with Ellie.
Speaker 2: She's incredible.
Speaker 5: And.
Speaker 2: just so painstaking in her investigations. And it always shows in those discussions. I'm really excited for this one.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: And then later on this week on Wednesday, Frank will have Sophia Boza Holman-Kinzinger on as well to talk about issues in Ukraine and beyond.
Speaker 2: Yeah, another. And if you aren't where she is the wife of Adam Kinzinger. And I think that's going to be another really, really great one. She's quite a personality. What a crazy couple, by the way. Like, power couple.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. University of Michigan law professor and author Barb McQuaid will be on Six Questions with Stephen Beschloss on Wednesday. Barb has written several books, and she is just always such a fascinating person to talk with about legal issues with national security.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if you're not already following Six Questions on Apple or Spotify as a podcast, go give it a follow. It really helps out the podcast. the pod to see people tracking it. And once you, once you hit follow or subscribe, then the algorithm picks it up and keeps going. So it's such a, a great conversation even just does, uh, his questions are always a little surprising. He really gets, it's, it's a, it does this balance between topical and personal, uh, in a way that, uh, not many people do.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: His show with Katie thing last week was great.
Speaker 2: Really good.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And obviously you've seen Katie thing on many shows and she's phenomenal, but you got something different. If you tuned in to Steven's questions, because they're not just your, your.
Speaker 2: Typical podcast questions.
Speaker 3: Exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh, and also on first draft this week, I will have on Mark Jacob who writes the stop the presses sub stack. Uh, he's a media critic, a former Chicago journalist. And I think we might have a few things to talk.
Speaker 2: About a little bit.
Speaker 3: Maybe you think, yeah, you prep it for that one.
Speaker 1: Tune on the news. That's about it. Yeah, no, but Mark's newsletter is like essential reading every week. He's always very, very thoughtful in his critiques on the media. And I always enjoy talking with him.
Speaker 2: Yeah. One additional thing that is going to happen, I think, on the Hopium sub stack, Simon will have Stuart Stephen's.
Speaker 3: Oh, great.
Speaker 2: I think on Wednesday. So we'll look out for that.
Speaker 1: Great.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Stuart is back home after another aid trip to Ukraine. So it will be great to check in with him. We checked in with him like right when he was going into Ukraine before Independence Day. And so getting to hear from him about the situation on the ground will be great.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, before we wrap up today, our weekly assignment for everyone is you may have seen legislation that has been introduced by Michigan Senator Alyssa Slotkin to ban troops from our ballot boxes. And in normal times, this would not be necessary, but we are not living in normal times. And we've all seen the threats from Donald Trump in terms of mail-in voting. He has refused to commit that he will not send ICE or military to our elections in November. And I don't know if you caught the story, Sam, but even in blood red Wyoming, during their primary this month, the Republican governor was very disturbed by the federal election monitors that were sent there because there are still Republicans who do believe in this little thing called federalism and that elections should be run by the state. So if they're willing to pull this in Wyoming, who knows what they have planned for November. And this would be a very important piece of legislation for us all to stand up and support, uh, as, as a way for us to stand up for our elections in November.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's look guys, it's, it's right around the corner. I mean, it's coming up so soon. Uh, labor day is this weekend.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: After that it's election time. Um, so it's, this is going to be a really remarkable, uh, few weeks in American history, I think. And like you said, the Wyoming stuff is, uh, it's a test line, right? Right. Um, let's do it in a couple of red States just so we're not, so we can show that it's just a thing we're doing. Right. Um, can't let it happen.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: Well, Sam really appreciate talking with you and Dr. Rob today. And for all of you, thank you for tuning in. If you don't already subscribe, I'd ask you to. You can do so for free. And please keep your comments coming. We love to see them during the show and after.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Thanks, everybody. Really appreciate you.