Speaker 1: Oh, guess what day it is? Guess what day it is? Huh? Anybody, It's hump Day? Up day, Yes, it is hump Day. Welcome to the Big Moon. Sider to Gabriel with you on a Wednesday, sixty six days away from college football from Kentucky Football. Thank you very much, Corey Price. He's got that running tally on his Twitter account. So yeah, it's coming up fast, and in fact, so our SEC football media days this year in Atlanta. I will be checking them out coming up next month. So we'll talk a lot of football, but today more basketball because we've been talking to the basketball Wildcats and we heard recently from Mark Pope about his team. There is a little bit of football news in a recruiting variety, but for the most part, a lot of basketball chatter tonight because the NBA Draft is tonight and Kentucky likely will be represented at least once, maybe more. We'll talk about that in a minute, but I did want to share if you missed it earlier, that UK got another commit Recruiting is picking up. I know people are concerned after the Big Dog left Bud. Kentucky just got a third wide receiver commitment in the class of twenty twenty six within the last twenty four hours. That's Dallas Dickerson from Bogart, Georgia, and was looking at some other D one schools Indiana, Georgia Tech, Oklahoma, but committed to the Wildcat six' one point eighty and this guy's a. Speedster won a state championship in one hundred meters dash with a personal record in the event of ten point three six seconds two four seven has him on a scale of one hundred at an eighty nine and considered the nation's number fifty four wide. Receiver and as you, know those are all crap shoots because these are young people growing. Quickly but this guy's got the. Speed you already know about. It so he'll join The wildcats next year as a class of twenty twenty. Six and when you talk about track, stars naturally you think back To Jordan, anthony a Kid kentucky signed out of a small town In. Mississippi but everybody knew about the guy because he was clearly a world class athlete From, Tylertown, mississippi AND i had him on this. Show he interviewed him after he committed To, kentucky but he quickly transferred To arkansas as much as anything to further his track. Career arkansas's got what do you want to call, it The cadillac of track and field, programs always in the, running if not winning national. Championships he did play football this past, year made eight catches for one hundred eleven yards and a touchdown and his long play was twenty seven, Yards so he's you, know and he was not a great foot ball player in high. School everything was, about you, know the potential when it came to, football but it was all about track and field for him. Anyway and in, fact the first Team All american in the sixty meter, class silver medals in the sixty meter dash at both THE sec and THE nca. Indoors So Jordan anthony has become the sprinter everybody thought he would. Be don't know if he's going to keep playing. Football but WHENEVER i Hear kentucky signed the track, star which it just, did or got at least a commitment from this kid From, georgia you think About Jordan. Anthony so, yeah you like it when they're fast to begin. With they can put on, muscle they can keep that. Speed so we'll see how this kid works out for The Football. Wildcats now THE Nba draft, Tonight yeah it's going to Be Cooper flagg going number. One we know, this but what about The. Wildcats, Well Kobe brad by all, accounts has worked his way into the, draft very likely second, day so you won't hear his name. Tonight and according to one survey or one, Analyst Jonathan givney OF, Espn Kobe brea will Go this is just his, prediction number forty two to The Sacramento. Kings but he's also got To Mauri williams going in the second, round going number fifty three to The Utah, jazz which could really really use him quite, frankly because, Yeah utah's been struggling of. Late sacramento's got a decent, base but, Yeah utah has been really. Struggling and J billis has said that he Thinks Jackson robinson could be, drafted but probably, won't you, know coming off that, injury but still likely will land a free agent. Contract he'll get a good look from THE. Nba so, yeah it's not quite the way it was With caliperi, here AND i know a lot of people that was a source of frustration when kids were going so high in the draft after not doing a whole heck of a lot with their team At. Kentucky but we all know what This kentucky team last year, accomplished and now they'll set out to try to do even more this year with a new core of, players but returning players adds the outstanding sinees Under Mark pope and by the, way his. Program according To, joelnardi the latest bracketology for twenty twenty, six talk about early but, again this is just for, Fun this is just for. Eyeballs right, Now Joe lonardi has The wildcats as the three seed in The midwest region that's coming out Of, chicago and this is so. Great here we are what In june talking about what's gonna happen Next, march he says they'll PLAY Unc wilmington In Saint louis in that, pod and then if they move, on they'll play the winner Of Texas tech the sixth seed and the eleventh Seed TEXAS a and m OR. Smu so, again way too, soon But leonardi's got the number one seeds As houston in The, midwest perdueing The South duke in The, West florida in The, east So florida will be strong, again he, says and we'll contend to repeat as the national. Champion one of the key players For florida last year is A wildcat, now and that of course Is Denzel, aberdeen who talked to the media this week and one of the things he talked about was the fact that the traits that helped Carry florida to a national championship last, year he sees similar traits in This kentucky. Team definitely some.
Speaker 2: Similarities on my, thing even here is even more, better just knowing that the guys we have here and coaching staff and stuff like. That and then just as university, itself the people here are. Amazing the atmosphere is. Amazing SO i think that pushes us. On we know what we got to do when we come, here put On kentucky, jersey and just playing for The university Of kentucky is a is a big. Thing so just being here it's a blessing, man and just can't look.
Speaker 1: Back a little while, Back Mark pope talked about new guys from The Southeastern conference helping his, team Including. Aberdeen so high on.
Speaker 3: Him and This Denzel, ABERDEEN i, mean he's coming here wearing a, big, fat giant ring and there's there's no way to replace that type of. Experience and he's a beautiful kid man like, uh he's spending time with his his parents was was really. Special you, know comes from a military family, background and and you know he he he cares about, people and he's an incredibly talented basketball. Player and so specifically those two, GUYS i can't wait to get him here and AND i can't wait for him to come experience basketball at The University kentucky because it's just. Different and even being in this, League i'm excited for those guys because he gets to walk in the doors and then learn how this is so different here and they're going to make us a better.
Speaker 1: Team and of course the OTHER sec, Guy Mohammed, diabate he talked about physicality with. Us he also talked about defense with. Us takes a great deal of pride in. It and you, know this was a, problem as you know For kentucky last year was kind of getting off to a slow start when he came to. Defense for the longest, Time kentucky was one of the worst teams in the country. Defensively when you looked at, stats you know they had scored a lot of people but still struggled on defense till they turned things around a little bit beyond mid. Season But diabte said that's going to be a strength of his and his. Teammates like we got guys like LIKE.
Speaker 4: Jq he hasn't even played, Yet LIKE i just just knowing what he could. Do he's not even practice, Yet like that's. Scary like guys Like neill take a. Jelf we take pride of. Defense SO i feel like that's something that the team and stuff like, that AND i feel like it's going it's gonna be a real good year defensively for. US i don't think that's gonna be one of the liabilities we.
Speaker 1: Have and of Course mark Pope hi on the guy who transferred in From alabama.
Speaker 3: Is mo Diabat. MAN i think he's a special, Person LIKE i don't know his second or third. Conversation we were talking about his family and his history and his and his faith and his commitment to all three of those. Things and he wasn't talking about. That he was talking about his life and how he thought about the world and his decision. Making but it was so clear and transparent that it's all built on those three. Foundations AND i think he's. SPECIAL i think he's, special and then his skill set fits us in a brilliant. WAY i just can't wait to see what he can do for us on the. Court he's coming from an incredible program and incredible coaching, staff and and we're going to get to be the you, know we're going to get, to you, know enjoy some of the fruit of all the labors that have come with him and by him before he got. Here but really excited about.
Speaker 1: Him so The wildcats played against these guys last, year now they're playing with them this, season and of Course pope sees a great advantage and welcoming two players who already know THE. Sec it's.
Speaker 3: Nice THE sec guys know the, league and they know the, physicality and they know the, talent and they kind of know the flow and venues are going to be familiar to, them and all those things are. Advantageous but Mostly i'm just excited about the guys that we.
Speaker 1: Got and AS i mentioned, before they're making the, players but the returning players and the new guys available to us each, Week so we will be hearing more from the basketball, cast but coming up of course after THE sec meetings In. JULY i mean football is gonna come rolling at. Us you, Know pope talks about the talking, season so that's going to be on top of us before, long and pretty soon they're going to be teeing it up on college Football. Saturday more basketball chatter and some. Football on the other side of the, break bottom of the, Hour aaron gershawan of The cat's, pause and each and Every wednesday we visit with The Unforgettable Guard Sean. Woods we heard from him yesterday at THE tbt news, conference so we'll follow up on that and talk more hoops With, sean and then of course West End Bureau Chief Gary. Moore but also on the other side of the, break Kroger field gets an undeserved slap from a media member And Anthony, davis in my humble, opinion is. Underappreciated next on six THIRTY, Wlp welcome back to The big Bloon. Sider coming up at the bottom of the Hour Aaron gershawn a little bit later On Unforgettable Guard Shawn woods and West End Bureau Chief Gary. Moore this is the time of year when we all look for things to talk, about look for ways to fill, time fill. Airtime Phil collin inches things like. That so there are a lot of lists and surveys and one man shows on the, interweb And i've come across a couple of. Them one of them was the top twenty five best and worst college football stadium. Nicknames this was posted by a blogger Called Big, Name Big Game. Boomer so right, away, locally you look for the team you, cover the team you, follow and under worst nicknames of a football stadium. Nicknames now number two on the list was THE uk Was Kroger. Field that's not a. Nickname, SEE i just you have to throw these this Entire it's fun to look at stuff like, this but you have to. DISQUALIFY i think both sides good and, bad because this guy doesn't really grasp what a nickname, is except for the fact, that all, right number one is The swamp At. Florida, okay that's. Good swamp's. Good number, two for whatever, Reason Central, florida it's called apparently the Bounce, house all, right that's. Fine sticking with best, Nicknames, pittsfield apparently it's called the big Ketchup, Bottle, Heinzfield, yeah you, Know, michigan The Big. House that's a traditionally good. Nickname Death valley AT, lsu The horseshoe At Ohio. State that's, Easy but, again so much of it's tied Into Ohio state. Tradition number seven in the list between the hedges At. Georgia, YEAH i didn't know. THIS i guess we'll find out from covering them and the in THE sec. Now But Oklahoma stadium evidently is known as The palace on The. Prairie, Fine but number, Eight i'm, Sorry number NINE, ucla which plays home games in The Rose bowl In. Pasadena he says the stadium is called The granddaddy of The. Mall that's totally. Wrong The Rose bowl game itself is known as The granddaddy of The. Mall so, again this is just suspect lists on both. SIDES tcu evidently Aiming Carter stadium is known As hell's Half. Acre that's, FINE i didn't know. THAT i wouldn't call it that WHEN i was down. There but there are some other good. Ones but he Says South carolina's stadium is Called WILLIE. B never heard that. One he's Got utah rank number eighteenth among best. Nicknames, okay here's the Nickname Lavelle Edwards. Stadium, no right after, That TEXAS a AND m the Twelfth. Man, no that is not the nickname of their. Stadium so you go back. Ohing by the, way it's kind of. Funny but number twenty Five Tennessee saban's second home a real dig At. Tennessee but of course that's not what the stadium is known for down there Among tennessee. Fans now again on the worst, Nicknames he's Got South florida number one is the worst, nickname The Pirate. SHIP i, mean what's so bad about? That But kentucky's second With, Corogerfield, now come, on forget. It Rutgers, stadium he, claims is called the birthplace of college. Football he, said USC's home, field The, coliseum is known as The Grand Old. Lady i've never heard. That and if it, is, yeah that's not very good as. Well they're all kinds of what he calls the worst. Nickname one of. Them he's Got Virginia tech The Terror, dome if indeed they call it, that, yeah that's not. Bad Notre dame the house That rockney. Built you, know that's just not. Current so it's a list that somebody put, together trying to have some fun with, it but he did a, really really bad. Job in my humble, OPINION cbk report ranked the top thirty one and done's in college basketball history and did not list any. Critter if it's individual playing, effort individual skill, set that kind of stuff thrills and chills. Maybe but in terms of, Accomplishments Anthony davis is under. Ranked they've got him, fifth AND i hope it's a DoD to what he is a player accomplished with his, team of, course won the National. Championship he WAS Sec Defensive player of The, YEAR Sec player of The, year went on to win a gold, medal was the most valuable player in The final. Four he had the best season in the history of college. Basketball when you add in The olympic gold, medal it's going to be. UNMATCHED i don't think anybody will ever match that season for the individual honors in the conference or the, championships won both league TOURNAMENT. NCAAA i don't know that anyone because if you fold in The olympic, medal will ever be able to do that. Again it all kind of came together right but ahead of him on the Li Zion, williamson and yeah he was a wrecking. Crew but what do they win any did they want? Anything? No he won. Nothing Michael beasley Of Kansas State great highlight, player didn't win. Anything Kevin, Durant texas didn't even go to The final. Four great college, Player Cooper flag Of, duke number, four number, Six Bind, Davis Carmelo anthony finishing up the top. Ten greg Odin Ohio. STATE i had a really nice one and done Career Kevin love AT, Ucla Chad holmgren At, gonzaga And Marvin bagley the third At. Duke but no criteria. Listed is it accomplishments or individual, play individual, Effort, because to be quite, Honest davis was a tremendous defensive player by the end of the. Year he was never a dominant offensive. Player SO i give him credit for Putting davis as high as they did if you're just looking at individual skills and. Effort but in terms of what he did and how he did, IT i think he's the best one and done in basketball. History AM i? Biased? Yeah but so be. IT i mean he did it and he's got the resume to show for. It on The Caitlin clark. Front there's more and more talk about improving the referees within THE, wnba which needs to. Happen they've lost control so many times in games Involving Caitlin, clark including the one where she got poked in the eye BY. J. C sheldon of The sun and then later in the Game sheldon knocked to the ground By Sophie. Cunningham it's kind of Become clark's personal. Enforcer six foot, five just came over From. Phoenix cunningham laid blame on the, referees but she also kind of rejected the notion that she as a player is first and foremost and.
Speaker 5: Enforcer, oh you know, What i'm just going to be.
Speaker 6: ME i don't go in there trying to predetermine. Anything you, Know i'm dialed. IN i need to focus on hitting my, shots making Sure i'm executing the schemes. Right i'm not focused on the extra curricular. Activities and you know, what during, that it was just part of the. GAME i think the rest had a lot to do with. That it was a build up for a couple of years now of them just not not, protecting you, know the star player of THE, wnba and so at the end of the, Day i'm going to protect my. Teammates that's WHAT i do And i'm a team, player so it's all.
Speaker 1: Good and As Sophie, cunningham, who by the, way since that little dust up in that game where she threw the opposing player to the, floor has picked up more than a million followers on social. Media back in A minute With Aaron gershan on six THIRTY Wlap welcome back to The Big blue and sider joining us on our celebrity outline as he does each and every. Week aaron gershawan of The cat's covers, football, baseball, basketball and, yeah it is football. Upcoming we'll talk about that in a, Minute. Aaron but As i've been talking about this week in the last they're making the basketball players available to, us so we'll talk some basketball as. Well the two guys who transferred in FROM sec teams talking this, week and you wrote about them on The Cats ball's, Website diabate And. Aberdeen how big an advantage and it is clearly Because polk talked about, it the players. Did but your take on the fact that these guys not only come in from THE sec they played Against, kentucky but they played for teams that, really quite, frankly achieved more Than kentucky did last. Year.
Speaker 5: ABSOLUTELY i mean you look at both of These both of these guys played in The final four because you thought they was there as a freshman and then got to The elite eight With alaxamba last, year and Then Daniel aberdeen as a national championship ring which obviously is the only player on this route or so it's, massive and you, know playing in THE sec is one. Thing, obviously all these guys having all both of them are multi year. Guys so they've played in every gym in the. Conference maybe Not Texas, oklahoma but you, know more or less they've played everyone in the. Conference they've played against, most you, know the core guys in the conference who are still. Around you know they've experienced playing against. Them none of that is going to phase, them but neither Is march. MADNESS i, mean these guys have not only been, there but they've had. Success you look At Denzel, aberdeen he averaged almost eight points per game bearing forward as running the national championship last, year scored seven points in The National championship, game had TWELVE i believe in the sweet sixteen Against maryland so a guy who has some success and Then motibaze as a. Freshman they had a tough game in the round of thirty two Against Grand, canyon and you go look at him and he was kind of the separator for them in that game as a true, freshman and he did some good things for them down the stretch last year as well in postseason. Play so you, know both of these guys are completely and utterly, tested battle. Tested they've just played at the highest level of college. Basketball and you, Know kentucky obviously got to A sweet sixteen last year back for those, guys but these two have a little bit something extra on their.
Speaker 1: Resumes, yeah and it's more than just being emotionally ready and mentally ready they. Are they're as physically ready they you, know it took a little WHILE i thought for the transfers last year to kind of assimilate DAN cec, play and they admitted as. Much but these guys will literally And i'm sure already have hit the ground.
Speaker 5: Running, yeah no. QUESTION i think that's the story of the whole transfer. Class to be honest with, you when you when you take, it, well look At Jayden, Quainton SO i, know, yeh, yeah he didn't play in THE, sec but that guy was all big twelve defensive you, know team, guy and you, know two and a half in blocks per. Game like One seed's, HEALTHY i don't think the physicality is going to be a problem for. Him but, yeah specifically with these two, GUYS i, mean starting With. MODIABATTE i, mean and he pointed it out On monday talking to the. Media he's exactly what this team was missing last. Year they were missing a guy who was the, enforcer like you, know not that he's gonna Be willy Colly, stein but that's What willy Coley stein was when he was. Here just a guy that is going to every play bring. It he's going to be extremely. Physical he's going to be hard to obviously get by if you're on. Offense he's gonna be hard to get rebounds. AGAINST i, mean he's a guy who was top five in THE sec in defensive rebounding percent and only six. SEVEN i say, only but that's just because it's you, know he's a four to a, three you, know from a size point, positionally but gosh is hed a good rebounder and he's so, physical and he Gave kentucky, real real problems both in the game At rough and then the game In nashville and in THE sec, tournament so you, know He's. Pope he pointed out That Mark pope told, him quite, frankly he needed a guy like, him that it was kind of missing last, year and he talked about how when they played Against, kentucky you, know he kind of sensed blood in the water That kentucky simply couldn't keep up with them, physically and h he's a guy that's going to bridge. THAT i, mean he just needed a guy like. Him and then you, Know aberdeen's a very good defensive player as. Well that was kind of you, know, yeah he can definitely shoot it a little. Bit he shot at a forty one percent club in it's five games as a starter from, three but he was really known for being a really good defensive. Guard and he's six, five he's. Long SO i think both of these guys, physically you're, right they're they're not going to be at. All it's not going to be an adjustment at all because they've been in this conference and they know what to expect and. Diabate if, anything guys are going to have to adjust to. Him for the guys who are coming, in you know as transfers at other schools or freshmen at other, schools because he's a guy that's been around the block and he's not easy to play.
Speaker 1: Against talking To Aaron gershin of the Cast, BALL i just covers the basketball cats as well as the Football wildcats a little bit of baseball as. Well were you surprised or how surprised were? YOU i GUESS i should say when these guys transferred in BECAUSE i got to admit WHEN i heard about it and write about, it you keep an eye on on the. Portal it made me sit up. Straight i'm, like why in the world are these guys leaving these successful program and they were playing appreciable minutes to come To.
Speaker 5: Kentucky So Dia BOSSE i wasn't too surprised because he didn't start at all when he was At alabama last. Year didn't get as much run as he would think in THE ncaa. TOURNAMENT i think he was around sixteen ish mints per. Game he also didn't shoot many, threes which is something he could. Do he was a forty six percent free, shooter but he only said twenty six. Attempts SO i wasn't too. Surprised he was looking for something, else just to kind of showcase himself. More But, Aberdeen, Yeah aberdeen was the surprise because you go look at What florida lost on. Paper they lost all three of those star. Guards, yeah they lost you, Know Walt clayton's going to hear his name call during the draft. Tonight you Lose Little richard And Elijah martin as. Well so it was surprising because you would, think, naturally a guy who's been in the program for three, years a guy from the state Of. Florida he was, committed remember To Mike, white and he stayed committed through the coaching. Change so a guy who's been you just don't see that. Anymore so a guy who's been completely and utterly loyal to his home state, program and you would think naturally he'd be in line to be a. Starter and when he entered the, PORTAL i definitely was a bit. Surprised it's a no brainer For kentucky to go get a guy like, that but it was a little bit, interesting to say the least when his name. Popped but then you hear him talk yesterday about he feels like This kentucky team could have a chance to be better than the one That florida had last. Year and you hear how he's you, know so badly wanted to play for this fan, base and you, know it seems like maybe there was, something you, know some things off between his relationship with him And Todd golden that you, know natural could have just been a part of no ways that needed to. Happen but on, paper just with Like florida's roster, situation definitely was, surprised But diabase not as big as, one but definitely one that you, Know, look you can go back to my tweet when he entered the, Portal i'm, like that is a Guy kentucky needs to be involved with AND i wasn't so forgoing to Be And i'm definitely glad that they saw the vision there because, again he's exactly what they were.
Speaker 1: Missing, Well i'm glad you brought that up About diabat's Rather aberdeen's, recruitment BECAUSE i was a GUY i don't know if you could. TELL i was a guy who asked and when you were watching the, tape the question Of, aberdeen why would you Leave, florida and he basically, said that's between me and my, family WHICH i, MEAN i believe first of all that there could be some nil. Issues, secondly, sure, yeah if you're not playing for the guy who recruited, you that's, big isn't.
Speaker 5: It it? Is it absolutely. Is it's a real. Thing and even though he's been playing For Todd golden for three, years again he was recruited By. White you built years of. Relationship he built the years worth of a relationships With Mike white and that, staff so it is a little. Different and you, know he rode the bank his first year. There, YEAH i don't know he's or the bank all three. Years he put, himself he played himself into a bigger role this past. Season but you, know you go look at What florida ended up doing in the portal and it's it's you gotta speculate maybe they were also going in a different. Direction they bring In Xavier, lee one of the best point guards in the portal From. Princeton they're Bringing boogie fland, Uh and they also brought in a transfer guard From, ohio and they looked to be again one of the front runners in THE sec up there With, Kentucky auburn and those. Teams so you, know maybe it was just the mutual parting of ways that needed to, happen but it's DEFINITELY i could definitely see why the day he entered the portal and the days, following it's, like what are you? Doing because they had definitely seems like you had a starting spot open on the defending national champions in your home home state.
Speaker 1: Team there, well AND i mentioned more than, ONCE i think it may not be the best portal. Class Maybe kentucky's is the. BEST i don't, know But florida's to me is so intriguing Because Boogie. Flann but then you get a kid From princeton and a kid From, ohio you, uh you, know but, hey they come from. Everywhere And patino took a kid from AN nai. School patino took a kid From idaho. State if you can, play you can, play, right that's.
Speaker 5: RIGHT i, mean, Look Walter clayton was playing For Rick patino and, iona, yeah he ended up pretty darn. Good you. Know Elijah martin obviously was a guy who went to the Final. Florida he was that. Fau so you, know sometimes it just takes the right coach to find that. Talent and you, Know Todd golden's done a good job of. That AND i think the biggest thing For florida that whole front court's. Back that front court Was fall And condon and hand locked in and and the other. One Uh. Chinulu they're all. Back so you you have a pretty good advantage if you're coming in as a new guard there to just feed the boys down, low and those guys are gonna run for you as.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah and some people think that they're already A final four. TEAM i mean some of them way too. Soon Joe lenardi's got them on one seat. Already so we're Talking aaron gershan of the Cast. Balls we'll come back with more of The Big blue And sider on the other side of the break here on six THIRTY Wlap welcome. Back we're talking With Aaron gershaan of The Cats, pause who covers baseball football basketball for the magazine for the website part of the two four seven. NETWORK i probably should ask you this off the, air but will you be going TO sec preseason media days down In.
Speaker 5: Atlanta we're still juggling that with you, know kind of the, ATTENTION i guess you could, say with the program and everything that's going on But i'll get back on.
Speaker 1: That plus everything is online.
Speaker 5: Now, yeah it's a big part of.
Speaker 1: It, YEAH i, mean it's fun to be. There i'm gonna go down there for a couple of.
Speaker 5: Days but, Yeah i've always said a bout, yeah but it's.
Speaker 1: AND i love going down To dallas stomping grounds last, year but now that everything's. Up used to be we had to wait until ten, o'clock ten thirty at night for edited comments off the satellite and now we, can you know you. Can you can record it all. Live but it's gonna be interesting to hear some of the comments and questions From Mark, stoops, right BECAUSE i think that of course, EVERYBODY i guess he's on a hot. Seat sure he, Is, uh there there are hot seats for the, fans hot seats for the. Administration but we've talked before about how he's raised the, ceiling raised the, floor and so now like VETERAN sec, Coaches, uh he's feeling some, heat isn't.
Speaker 5: He, Yeah i'll say he's he's a good position THAT i think they're closing the event, again so a lot of a lot of the national media that's there is gone by, then the at least that's. True, deal who do as much as that of?
Speaker 1: That but, yeah last, day he's in the last day right.
Speaker 5: Exactly, YEAH i know last year they were the last team AND i think they might be that. Again i'd have to double check on, that but they're definitely on the last day there On. Thursday but, anyways it's just, yeah you would, think just hypothetically and just taking that out of, it just say national media is still there a lot Of Vince, marrow a lot of what what happened last year with the portal miss, evaluations you, Know brock honestly a, big bigger storyline and not especially if you have Some georgia media, there like Did brock Vander greff really just like what happened that let him to retire from? Football like was it so bad last year he loved the? Law like he just lost his love for the? Sport did he get? Hurt Like there's a lot of storylines that could come out from that just from a national scope That i'm thinking, of but it definitely would start With Vince marrow and what the heck happened there for him to go to the art travel in the middle Of june and you, know and now like it's kind of a it's. INTERESTING i, MEAN i don't it's hard to say there's a, correlation But kentucky in the last two weeks has really gotten finally gotten hot on the recruiting, trails AND i don't, know, AGAIN i don't know if there's any correlation, there but there's just so many interesting storylines and, unfortunately like none of them are fun talking, Points like we're not talking last, year you, know big. Talk you, know even though they came off two seven and six. Years you, know you're talking About Dion walker as a potential top ten pick a couple of years. Back you, know you're talking about coming off the ten and three year and Having Will levis as the potential a potential top five pick in the. DRAFT i, mean you, know a lot more fun subjects and a lot more guys who can kind of highlight and guys who can you, know you don't want to over, hype but those type of guys who want to. Market and unfortunately that's just not the case for This kentucky team this. Year and you, know there're gonna be some tough questions for soups And i'm, awesome really curious to see what three players he brings BECAUSE i, think you, Know i've talked about it. BEFORE i think they need to do a better job at marketing some of the fun personalities on this. Team you, Know Mac harrison was the guy that last YEAR i thought should have been brought to media, days and you saw that personality during THE Nfl, draft and that's a guy like that can really sells some tickets and get fans into. You AND i hope they bring a guy LIKE i know that he's been hesitant to bring these portal, guys but like Ches i And, PETE i don't know if you got to tell, him, yes, yes what a, person bring him Bring he's got an amazing, story you, know growing up on An indian. Reserve he's got this infectious. Personality he's, funny he's quick. WITTED i Mean brenack kid for crying.
Speaker 7: Out.
Speaker 5: Ye, yes so you know a lot of interesting things that are going to come. Up bring. It but, YEAH i, mean, look they're probably they like to bring the fiftieer seniors who have been in the program for a, while LIKE i Expect Josh, caattis who does have a good personality to be. There you, know guys like That. Jordan maybe Not jordan love. It there was an off season thing that happened. There but like a Ty, bryant MAYBE.
Speaker 1: I THINK i would do a good.
Speaker 5: Job, YEAH i think they'll do a good. Job let's just bringing the guy like She's pete. Man he could he could light up a, room LIKE i, think do your program a lot of Good, yeah.
Speaker 1: You, know and they want to make sure someone who's not going to say something controversial or you know, Whatever.
Speaker 5: But, yeah come on. Here, yeah that's.
Speaker 1: A that's a great point, though a few minutes off Of Aaron gershaan of The Cat's, balls AND i will Give stoops. Credit he has fielded difficult questions at that event in the, past and he's done a pretty good. Job you. Know he hasn't really ducked, things and he likes to he takes. Pride you're there every, week and every once in a while he brings up the fact that he tries to be as honest as he, can AND i appreciate. That AND i think he's done a good job really since day. One not, perfect but who who? Is but, uh, YEAH i think This Vince merriw situation might be the most difficult topic That stoops in his twelve, years will have ever dealt with an sec media.
Speaker 5: Days, yeah because it's very hard to. Explain yes it really. Is, yeah, yeah, yes exactly Because loud it's an art. Rival you grew up with this. Guy you, know you're Both. Youngstown you built this program from nothing basically to what it is now or what it was at least when it was at its best a couple of years, ago and you guys kind of did it hand in hand And, marrow you, know honestly up there With Mike. LEACH i Know league wasn't here, long but just the personality was is one of the most, popular if not the most popular assistant coaches IN uk football. History, like this guy was beloved here for what he, did and you lose him to the art. Rival and again you lose him in the middle Of, june you, know a month and a half before you start fall camp and then the busiest recruiting month of the. Year so it's really you, know you can't shy away from. It down To, Atlanta he's going to have to give some, context even if it's something that he doesn't want to, know necessarily give up because if, not you, know those questions are just going to boil Into august and and if things go wrong In, october they're going to get a random. Question they have to mess up the locker, room like there's just you got to get in front of. It it, sucks but you know it's part of the.
Speaker 1: Gig yeah it. Is and, uh there are as you, said there are a lot of media people. There but almost by the hour they once the first couple of days have, concluded everybody starts to. Leave so, yeah that room there's a benit of Going. Thursday that room maybe two thirds empty by the time that the stoops does this. Thing h thank you so. Much surry The Reds, beacher The Reds beach Or?
Speaker 5: Yankees oh, god yeah The yankees have they played seven extra ending games this year and they have two hits even though you get you get a run around.
Speaker 1: Second, yeah but they scored. Run they scored though right run last?
Speaker 5: Night yeah a while.
Speaker 1: Pick what is it like back? Home just thirty or? Less what are the media doing back? Home? Oh?
Speaker 5: Sure, yeah the extra inning games Are, yeah they're ripping them from the shreds for the extra inning. GAMES i mean, again we're talking two hits and extra innings in seven games all year and you get a runner on second.
Speaker 1: Date The Manfred, man The Manfred.
Speaker 5: Man almost. Impossible Oh, god.
Speaker 1: Where My cardinals are still up and? Down SO i KNOW i know how you. Feel Aaron gershan of The Cats PAWS A gershon ninety. Nine follow him in the pages of The Cats paws and at two four seven the two four seven website as. Well thank, you, sir stay, Cool we'll talk to you next. Week.
Speaker 5: Yep any Time aaron does a.
Speaker 1: Great job keeping an eye on a transfer portal and if you're FOLLOWING uk, baseball he's got an eye on the Baseball portal's got the portal tracker going, on keeping an eye on the comings and goings For Nick Benji Oons Team hour number two is up next With Sean woods And West End gal Chief Gary moore on six Thirty wlap.
Speaker 8: Sut such stake saying don't show, anything can think, anything then.
Speaker 1: Su welcome back to The big Boon. Sider joining us now Is Sean, woods The Unforgettable guard As jersey hangs in the rafters Of rup, Yesterday sean and Twenty, beckham THE gm of THE Tvt Entry laphamia appearing at a news. Conference you heard part of that on here on The Big. Boone you were lavish in your praise of Twenty. Beckham he has really impressed your hasnty.
Speaker 7: He has as a young, Man, Dick he's got a lot on the. Ball he's a creative. Mind he's very, innovative great business since and man he needs to, be you, know trying to get a job as an ASSISTANT gm for AN nba team or. SOMETHING i think that.
Speaker 1: Much of him what led you to realize all that you've known him for a, while but now you're working even closer with, him.
Speaker 5: Right, YES i.
Speaker 7: Am and just to see how he does, business how he attracts, players you, know in the negotiation because you, know when you're talking to, players all these guys are pros that we're trying to get to come back and Represent kentucky in THIS tvt, deal and everything is about what.
Speaker 5: Can you do for?
Speaker 7: Me and he's you, know is very very good at tracking folks and talking business and. Negotiating that is so impressive that you know he even got. Me and the way he's put this thing together because it's not, easy and the way and how organized it is is second to, none especially in THIS tvt.
Speaker 1: Situation, yeah and you also MADE i thought that the best point of the, day AND i thought a lot of the media people grabbed onto this is you said that these guys coming in the Former wildcats get to be A kentucky player. AGAIN i thought that really hit home with a lot of. People that really described what it was all about for these. Guys AND i know how much you love playing here and him what it still means to you and what it's meant to you to see these guys realize as older men what they had as, youngsters which you, know none of us really appreciates what we have right when we're young until we look back on it.
Speaker 7: Exactly and you, know when you're in the trenches and your coaches into you and you're practicing every day and you got to go to study, hall you got to go to, class and you know everybody else reached the benefits of your, labor and when you done at The university Of, kentucky it doesn't go in. Vain everybody appreciates. It but when you don't understand the appreciation that people have for, you and so you don't know how relevant you. Are and as you go through, life you, know playing basketball because most of these guys that come to the Universit, entucky nine times out of, ten they're gonna be pros. Anyway they're gonna play this game for a little while, professionally and you forget and you really don't realize how relevant and how appreciate you are in The commonwealth Of. Kentucky and it gives them an opportunity to come. Back it really realized, that you, know because in the last fifteen twenty years they've been and. Done so how can you really know how relevant you are when you only, go you, know spend eight to nine months at a. Place but last year was the eye opener for these. Guys and you, Know god makes no, mistakes you, know and having me here really showing them the appreciation and how relevant they are really really really set president in their minds and in their. Hearts and that's the reason why these guys like to come. Back and it's more than just playing A tbt for a million. Dollars it's representing The university Of kentucky, again which is the all time great basketball program in all of college.
Speaker 1: Basketball talking To Sean, was he's a head coach At Scott County high and the head coach of law For. Melia, NOW i was an assistant last year and still struggling with that. VOICE i know you've been yelling a lot in, practice but you're not gonna have to yell as much at these, pros are.
Speaker 7: You, no, no, no. No it's it's a lot of talking and strategizing and how you, know one, thing when you become a, pro they want to know how can we be successful in this? Situation you, know show me what we need to do and how to. Do that's what pros are and that makes it. Easier so you just give them a game plan and how you like to do, things and they go at, it you know WHAT i, Mean you go over it once or, twice and after that they just they just take it. On and last YEAR i turned down they had job BECAUSE i didn't know IF i can coach pros or, not you know WHAT i mean with the mentalities and things like. That but, man it was a breath of fresh.
Speaker 5: Air and you, KNOW i see.
Speaker 7: White college coaches like going to the pros because you don't have to. Recruit you, know they're. Pros you, know they're supposed to show, up you, know and they want to be better and they want to grab everything that you can and to make them look good and the lights are.
Speaker 1: On and the flip side of, That i've heard pro coaches talk about how sick they get of dealing with. Agents but you And twany don't really have to do that with this, team do.
Speaker 7: You, no, no no. No it's your basketball man at, best and you know it's very refreshing for, Me, Dick i'll tell you. What And i'm looking forward to these new guys because they all have my. Mentality you. Know they're all with big time, defenders like getting after, it ultimate, competitors and they like playing fast and in. Transition so it's going to be a big time for us And i'm looking forward to.
Speaker 1: It one of the things you guys touched on yesterday was fan, support and, YEAH i know that over In, louislle they've already out sold so they get the host if you guys, Play but people forget THAT a lot of the people buying tickets In louisville Are kentucky fans because that's their chance to see you guys. There BUT i thought you made a great point about the support for THE tbt entry primarily based you know in lexiing and Or kentucky, players and you kind of, motioned you, KNOW i got. IT i counted shown at least six or SEVEN tv, cameras there a dozen, reporters, notebooks, Microphones and you made a great point in. It there's probably no OTHER tbt entry that is having a press conference like that that gets that kind of media play. It as you, said only In kentucky would you see? THIS i thought that was a great. Point what's?
Speaker 7: True you, Know i'm watching the tvt over the. Years the biggest fan support THAT i saw home court advantage Was wichita When wichita was really really. Good Wichita state and that place will be. Electrifying But i'm sure they didn't have press conferences when they were putting the team, together brackets and all that type of. Deal and it's, true anything About kentucky basketball is. Huge And, dick you been Around kentucky basketball way longer than, me covering it way longer THAN i even was a. Player and you're one of the, guys and you know it's. Rich you, KNOW i, mean how many how many, reporters media guys meet up for? Breakfast, yeah you, know how many guys have a you, know a media guy have a separate memorial, service like you, Know Ronnie, demiray did you? KNOW i mean this is this is unlike any place In, america And i'm just so privileged and so happy THAT i had an opportunity to play at The university Of kentucky and to experience the love and the passion that people had for, me not only for, me but the program THAT i. Represented one other.
Speaker 1: Question ABOUT, tvt you guys unveiled the. Bracket i've got to be, HONEST i don't know much at all about any of those. TEAMS i thought it was interesting you guys talked about how you did scouting port you studied video last. Year that was all part of taking it so, seriously which was a PREREQUISITE i know from twenty yeah when he, said, look this is just not a fun. Thing we're here to win. It but is it too soon to know about your opponents in the bracket?
Speaker 5: Upcoming, yes it is because we don't know. Personnel we don't know who they have.
Speaker 7: YET i, thought, yeah so, yeah that'll that'll be even leading up to the. Game that first game is kind of a, uh you, know you can watch if they you, know you're looking at their, roster and if they've got a lot of guys from last, year then we'll go back and look at those. Guys you know what they looked like last. Year but after, that it's it's it's it's it's you, know treating this game just like we would treat any game that we're that we're preparing. For so, yeah you, know we played For, kentucky you know WHAT i. Mean and our fans are. Spoiled our fans are spoiled and they want to, win so we want to be prepared to.
Speaker 1: Win, yeah and it's easy to. Sell you guys are still so disappointed That Nate sisina had to. LEAVE i know you don't hold it against him. Personally you knew that going in he had a. Contract but now you guys have taken steps to make sure that kind of thing doesn't happen, again that you don't lose a key player at the worst. Time you all were in the final four last year when he had to.
Speaker 7: Leave, man if he, stays we win, it there's no doubt about. It but that comes with. Experience you. Know that's when we And swanny came to heads and now we. Know you know What i'm, saying that was our first time doing, it and we want to make sure it doesn't happen. Again so you got to make sure you got some guys that are in it for the long haul and checking their schedules and so on and so, forth you. Know so you, know we're in it for the long, haul and we going to make sure we bring in guys THAT i have the same mentality that we.
Speaker 1: Have, Yeah Sean, woods the head coach of A tbt entry left for me Also Scott. GUNNY i will come back and talk more about The wildcats on the other side of the break here on six thirty w welcome. Back we're talking With Sean. Woods he is the head coach Of Scott County High, school joins us each and every, week also the head coach of THE uk essentially THE uk entry and UH TBT LA FA mea and you guys are going to play and practice as you did last year against this Current kentucky, team which gives you a great opportunity to See Mark pope's. Team but tell me about the. Benefits it's pretty, evident pretty obvious of what you. GOT i don't know how many other teams get to do. This you, know you get to go against a, yeah, hey one of the top college teams In, america.
Speaker 7: And it's good for. Both you, know they get to go against. Pros we get to go against you, know big time college. Programs so it's great preparation and not only, that is great camaraderie to bring these guys back getting you, know get acquainted with the new guys that's on the. TEAM i, mean you, know LIKE i said, before only at The university Of, kentucky baby that you can do that type of. Stuff and, uh you, know we got one of our own as the head high show of our.
Speaker 5: Program we got.
Speaker 1: A chance this week to talk To Denzil aberdeen And Mohammed. Diabote these are two guys who played FOR sec programs that were extremely. Successful florida wins the. Title alabama had A final four run last, year And alabama Handled kentucky this. Year of, course The wildcats beat The gators in a great entertaining. Game no defense played very. Little but they Transfer sean after all that success To kentucky and they talked to us this. Week they were just. Beaming they were both wearing a brand NEW UK t shirt and they couldn't stop talking about what it was like to join this, program Which i've got to ADMIT i GUESS i was pleasantly. Surprised you're probably not surprised by. That but what do you make of two guys who came FROM sec programs that did what programs have been trying to, do and that is Match, kentucky and yet they wanted to transfer TO. Uk you know WHAT i.
Speaker 7: Mean everybody wants to wear their, Uniform everybody wants to be the home team and Rupp. Arena everybody asked questions on what it's like to be A kentucky basketball, player no matter where they're playing. At i'm talking About duke, Players carolina. Players kentucky is the epitome and it's people like you and The commonwealth that makes it so attractive that people want to be a part of. It and everybody wants to be recruited By. Kentucky so even though you win a national, championship it's still Not.
Speaker 1: Kentucky i'm guessing you heard a lot about, that not just as a, player but probably more as a, coach an, assistant a, recruiter a head. Coach i'm guessing you fielded a lot of questions about what it was like to be A, uk.
Speaker 7: No doubt about. It and you know these guys got an. Opportunity they left for national championship caliber teams to come to Un Russe. Kentucky that speaks balls about our.
Speaker 1: Program, well put your head coaching cat back on and tell me about having two guys come through the portal and they had great success with kids From Fairleigh dickinson And drexel and play And dayton last. Year these guys are SEASONED sec. Veterans just how big an advantage is that For pope and the rest of his ball.
Speaker 7: Club now you're getting a higher caliber. Transfer you see them, Sayings, yeah you're not getting them major. Transfer you Getting you getting transfers from the, Best and that's what you. Want you, know WHEN i was coaching college AND i was getting, TRANSFERS i wanted transfers to come from winning. Programs and they're getting transfers that are coming from winning. Programs how you can't get any better transfers than.
Speaker 1: That Rachel, lawson as the softball coaches you know At, kentucky g SATs success and one of her rules or guidelines or whatever for recruiting is she recruits kids primarily from winning. Programs she doesn't recruit, kids for the most, part who might be a great player on the team that struggles a. Bit she wants kids who already know how to. Win tell me about the value in. THAT i know where you were coaching in college that wasn't always the, case but you. Did like you, said if you could get a, transfer you wanted a kid who already knew how to be. Successful tell me about the value of.
Speaker 7: That, well it's huge, mentally you know WHAT i. MEAN i don't want a kid that average thirty points a game was on the losing. Team, yeah you, know now he has a loser mentality because he's you, know he's coming in with selfish. Situation you, know selfish. Mentality you are guys that have already been coached that knows what it feels like to be challenged and know what the common goal is is to. Win you want to recruit, winners and that's hard to do and to, change especially if you're getting a kid who's a sophomore junior coming from a losing program or an average program to change his. Mentality you are guys coming in from another program that has that, mentality so they're easier to, coach the expectations are the same as, yours then they're going to work as hard as you want them to work for that common goal is to.
Speaker 1: Win is it harder to? Evaluate AND i don't know how much experience you've, had but when you're talking about a kid who might have left his high school for a prep program or like an overtime and lead a situation or something like, that as opposed to A Malachi moreno whose team as a junior they went to The final. Four as a, senior they win The sweet. Sixteen so you know what you've got there in terms of a winning. Mentality but what about the kids who kind of bounce around a little?
Speaker 7: Bit those are the ones you got to watch because their habits there's it's always somebody else's fault is the reason why they're. Leaving it's always the coach's fault or someone else's. Fault and that's one THING i can say About. Malachi all these guys Around kentucky left chasing. Something at the end of the, day you're still the same, player you, know and you know and coaches want loyalty and that's big in college basketball right, now and it's hard to find and that's why the transport is the way it. Is you, know there's two thousand people thinking the same. Way so they're going they're searching for the next deal when the grasses and holly evergreener on the other. Side So kentucky's getting a great one because he's. Loyal you, know he knows what he's getting, into and he's not. Chasing he's true to. Himself and these other, kids they're. Not and those are the guys that you can't trust because they got one foot coming in then the next foot stepping, out and they you can't win because they're never going to sell all the way out for.
Speaker 1: You and of, Course malachi played a great crossing over In Scott, county your arts. Rival NOW i know you're beating the bushes looking around for seven footers. OVER i don't know how many there Are Scott. County. Bud you were telling me you like what you've seen in your young team so, far.
Speaker 7: Right my team's growing leaps and, bounds And, dick you, KNOWS i know we're gonna be better than what a lot of people think just because of the work that we're putting. In so you, know and that that's what makes you attractive for want to where other people want to be involved in that type of. Program so that's what we're. Doing we're making these kids. Better and you know with my pedigree of you, know every kid wants an opportunity to get a college. Scholarship, well you, know two years AGO i was the judge and the. Jury so what better coach to come play for and knows how what college coaches are looking.
Speaker 1: For that's. Right so how are they doing? NOW i know you're. Working they're probably harder than they've ever worked, before especially in the. Summertime well they.
Speaker 7: Worked they've never worked this. Hard and guess. What we had a good two weeks of summer ball and we had a great come. Rider cool my, lie cool my. Eyes, uh swimming picnic. Yesterday it's all.
Speaker 5: Good so.
Speaker 7: It's all good With Scott County cardinals right.
Speaker 1: Now sounds good to. Me Sean woods is the unforgettable guard As jersey hangs in the raptors of. Rup oh and by the, way one other question ABOUT tvt playing in the coliseum instead of Rupp. Arena, UH i guess it makes more of sense business. Sense, yeah and they love playing in ROUGH i know, that but, man there is an intimate feel At Memorial, coliseum isn't?
Speaker 7: There you said the magic word. Intimate you know WHAT i. Mean, now it's where the fans going to re ride on top of. You, yeah like the old. Days, yeah like the old. Days and you, know LIKE i said, before it gives these guys an opportunity to come back and really embrace What kentucky basketball is all about as grown men, now not as. Kids just looking forward to the next, step which was THE nba.
Speaker 1: Coach thanks so. Much we'll talk to you next.
Speaker 7: Week, okay looking forward to, It buddy.
Speaker 1: And Westn Berruci Gary moore is up next on six THIRTY Wlap welcome back to The Big blue In. Cider at His wednesday, meeting we cast our eyes to the, west to The west end OF i sixty four and Our West End bureau, Chief Gary moore outing each and every, week he's got a lot on his. Mind, well two guys in a six.
Speaker 9: Pack we've got six, things six wigs to Take the first twig here dick a week, Ago, Monday, monday a week, ago after The racers were no hit By. ARKANSAS i hate to bring that, up but it. Happened players hadn't even hit the showers before speculating genius has already Had Murray state Coach Dan skirka going To duke in a four maybe even a five year, deal depending on the genius. Speculating same guys who Said Shadur sanders would be a lock in the top four in the, Draft not so, fast my uninformed nostra damis. Wannabes murray is holding on to its National coach of The year with a four year, extension which is good news not just For racer, fans but for The Missoo Valley conference and For skirgus family as, well who've been in my hometown for twelve year's total kind of off and. On he did get his masters At, murray by the, way and they, realize like a lot of people have when they, leave That murray's not only a great place for raising, kids but now now it boasts The World series caliber baseball. Program hard to beat that combination if you're a young, parent isn't, It.
Speaker 1: Dick, Abris, yeah you're. Right and here's a guy who was part of a staff that was blown out a couple of head coaches. Ago he got fired with everybody. Else you, know when the head coach, goes generally the assistants. Go but he came. Back you. Know so he's got racer blood and there aren't many guy AND i couldn't have blamed him for. Leaving nobody could. Have and like you, said he's a young guy with a. Family but he is the perfect guy right now for that. Spot WHAT i also Like gary is the fact, that, yeah they poured money into his, contract but also into the. Program, Yes AND i got to think that maybe there was a little bit of embarrassment when the national media began to Examine cinderella and oh my, gosh, look here's the, ballpark here's the torn up ye outfield fans, here you, know so it all came together and good for.
Speaker 9: Them second swig in the six, Pack let's go from college ball to the majors and we may have an answer why so MANY La dodger pitchers are coming up Lame to. Refresh fourteen pitchers have been on THE la injured list again this. Year it includes Reigning National League Sy young winner and former bowling green Hot rod by the, Way Blake snell came up lame in Early.
Speaker 1: April after just two.
Speaker 9: Starts after citning a huge contract in the off. Season plus you Got Tyler glasnow who also didn't make it to the month Of may before shutting down again this. Year and then herald and Rookie japanese right Handed Rokie sasaki went down In april sixteenth after eight. Starts dodgers beat writer For The Athletic Fabian ardarya said last week that there are a cup of. Issues one we already knew kind of about that The dodgers are targeting guys with checker injury histories at a lower price Like glassnow they see some of these brittle guys and, say, hey we can probably get them for a price and just keep our fingers. Crossed and one glaring, Reason DICK i really didn't. Know did you know The dodgers had the hardest throwing rotation in all Of DOUBLE A baseball In tulsa two years ago in twenty twenty, three where a number of current pitchers who've been injured were before they got To La fabian, said, quote The dodgers aren't the only team prioritizing velocity and, spin but they seemingly go closest to the red.
Speaker 1: Line.
Speaker 9: Unquote DO i expect anything to change now if they win Another World.
Speaker 1: Series, no, no, no because they can always go get somebody. Else, yep you, know and you've got younger guys coming up throwing like. That but of course we talked a year or two ago About Ben joyce To. Tennessee candy through one oh five made it to the majors, quickly and now he's on the injury. List, yeah as long as the team professional teams are willing to throw bad money after, good this will not. Change if they're interested in, changing then they'll study the, metrics you know that they use to do a lot of other things and figure this. Out now there's a, Change, GARY i truly believe it would never, happen but it's a simple. CHANGE i wasn't aware of this until my broadcasting, Partner Doug flynn notified me because he worked a lot of games for The reds and they had e Allus chapin and all. That now they measure with the radar gun the speed out of the hand of the, pitcher not as the ball crosses the, plate and so sheer physics tell us that the ball's not going quite as fast across the plate as it was out of the pitcher's. Hand SO i think if they more accurately clocked it that, WAY i wonder would pitchers stop trying to throw the ball to a concrete. Wall that'll never happen because the, PITCHERS i, think would be upset about. It you, Know, oh they're Saying i'm only throwing this When i'm really throwing. That there are some fixes to, This but LIKE i, said as long as clubs like The dodgers are willing to throw a bad money after, good they're going to keep doing.
Speaker 9: It third swig in the six pack one of those rare starters FOR la who's actually healthy and he's got the sixth BEST era in The National. League Yoshinobu yamamoto was one strike away from one of those rare immaculate innings Last thursday. Night we strike out all three batters on nine straight. Strikes on the ninth pitch To padre Hitter Fernando Tattist, junior he threw a strike clearly in THE tv. Box in, fact it was closer to the middle of the box then at the top of. It but Umpire Marvin hudson inexplicably called it a. Ball broadcast crews went. Crazy the x, account by the, way for umpire auditor posted that that was one of seventeen missed.
Speaker 1: Calls in the.
Speaker 9: Game hudson has ranked eightieth out of eighty nine umps this, season to WHICH Cbe buckner, said wait hold my ball strike. Indicator On, Sunday buckner missed a season high twenty eight calls In Saint. LOUIS i saw some of this.
Speaker 1: Game it was.
Speaker 9: Crazy The Red's cardinals. Game buckner ranks eighty fourth out of eighty nine.
Speaker 1: Umps.
Speaker 9: Dick Last, thursday my Buddy Gary guthrie AND i went over to The bats game here at The Slugger field and saw THE abs system just Doing gangbuster's. Job they overturned one strike, call affirmed one ball, call and each one of those took about all of twelve seconds to. Do some fans and players aren't wild about THIS abs system coming to The major's next, season saying they want the human element to. Stay but when humans have the strike zone all over the, place how can you justify not one to see this?
Speaker 5: Coming you?
Speaker 1: Can't you? Can and you AND i swapped text about this summer. Long, yeah it is so hard now to defend the, umpires and it's almost as though they're arrogant about How i'm going to call strikes. AWAY i want to call them and there's nothing you can do to change. Me and it's going to cost, him you. Know now they are held. Accountable and EXHIBIT a is the clown who worked The College World series plate on that Same, Sunday Angel, campos who was fired By Major League baseball for doing the same nonsense that he did In. Omaha poor walls and strikes and poor management of. Games but you cannot defend played umpiring, anymore you, know and WHICH i did for a long, time because they just won't. Listen that's a good.
Speaker 9: Point the, world The College World series had strike zones all over the.
Speaker 1: Place, yeah especially against My. Racers but that's another story for another.
Speaker 9: Day fourth twig of the six pack a local baseball note to mention BECAUSE i hate talking about football when it is this.
Speaker 1: Hot, okay so here a tip of.
Speaker 9: My big RED wku capt to your big Blue Alba Mater, dick because the portal giveth and the portal taketh. Away this, MONTH uk picked up My hilltoppers number two, pitcher right Hander Jack, bennett who went seven to. One, yeah forty eighth best era in the nation three point one to.
Speaker 1: Three it was a.
Speaker 9: Big part of The toppers fourth best era in the nation at three point five. Zero and your Guy nick is also bringing in a lefty From South, carolina another riety From Grand, canyon and a shortstop From. Indiana so far, Anyway, meanwhile after a record breaking season down In Bowling, green Seventeen hilltoppers have entered The, portal Including CONFERENCE Usa player of The Year Ryan, widman who's going to be going To clemson after he had a season At western, who by the, way got him from A georgia community. College but, hey thanks for stopping by last. SEASON i asked, You is it about the money or is it about maybe wanting to play tougher competition on a bigger. Stage i'm going with the dough on this.
Speaker 1: ONE i think all of the above because in talking a lot of these guys who have come through the, portal and especially moving from the so called mid, majors they want to test themselves in THE sec and which could lead to more. Dough you, know they if they perform, well they got a better chance at being drafted in a more advantageous. Spot fifth swig in the six.
Speaker 9: Pack, hey speaking of biggest sports stories of the past, WEEK lsu winning Another World, Series lakers being sold for ten, Billion Red sox trading yet another marquee, Player, nope, nope and triple. Nope the news you AND i have been waiting For.
Speaker 1: Joey chestnut is.
Speaker 9: Back last year in The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating, Contest joey was banned because some organizers got butt hurt that he'd made a deal with the plant based dog, maker and once, Again, dick it was the fan who, suffered but all is forgiven, apparently And joey. Who by the, Way Joey chestnut was born in Western, kentucky In Fulton. COUNTY i didn't know. That by The mississippi Re it's. True he's going to be back a week From, Friday july, fourth On Cony. Island two quick questions for, you, sir is there a more, disgusting stomach churning display of unnecessary human food consumption than The Hot dog eating? Contest and? Two will you and your bride watch it live or tape?
Speaker 1: It let's go for option three not only. ABOVE i am not a. Fan, yeah it's, gross BUT i ALSO i have a hard time watching any of these eating contests, now and there's too many hungry people out. There AND i know that the companies that sponsor have begun to really throw sponsorships into food, banks which is. Great so that just leaves me with my initial. Complaint it's pretty, disgusting especially when they went dunking them in the. Water oh, no thanks.
Speaker 9: Our sixth and final. Swig you, know we got The savannah bananas over here in town for some sold out games at The Slugger, field AND i Believe dick by next week's version of this, show we should know the name of the minor League Eerie seawolve's new, rebrand as decided BY Hbo Max's John oliver and his brilliant last Week tonight's staff in case you missed it last, month after Hilarious may fourth segment which everybody should see on how wacky minor league baseball teams can, Get oliver invited teams to apply for a new rebrand that he and his staff would create based on the team's, geography area history and with absolutely no input from the, team and they would have to agree to doing all of Whatever oliver's staff came up. With well forty seven teams forty percent of all minor league teams, Applied eerie was. Chosen we don't know if it's going to be a new identity for one, game a few, games maybe a permanent rebrand for The DOUBLE a affiliate of The Detroit. Tigers BUT i tell you, this whatever, becomes you, know it will be a merchandising gold.
Speaker 1: Mine oh, yeah, Yeah and that was one of the great things that the two summers That Doug flynn AND i spent doing minor league, games we got to see all that up close and. Personal there's very little in minor league marketing people won't at least consider this was a great idea By. OLIVER i do like The Sea wolves. NICKNAME i guess it'll come back. Somewhere but it's not a bad. IDEA i think they're gonna keep.
Speaker 9: It, possibly but, again we don't know this is gonna be your permanent. Rebrand this is the new, one and hopefully it's not going to be something. Embarrassing but they took a. Chance there Was, look there's forty seven teams that, Said, okay.
Speaker 1: Do your, duty do what you want to do with. Us gary Mare, is Our Western bureau, chief will come back and talk hot reids With gary just a minute here on six THIRTY. Wlap welcome back to The Big blue And. Sider we're chatting with Our Western bureau, Chief Gary. Moore we have heard two guys in a six. Pack time now for a couple of hot reeds and part of our award winning hockey coverage here on The Big blue And. Sider of, course The Florida panthers beat The Edmonton oilers once, again a team from the deep Deep south beats a team From canada for The Stanley. Cup course of the roster of stock With. Canadians but let's talk About japanese food, Sushi, Gary The Florida panthers ordered sushi for Their Stanley cup parade from a restaurant where The oilers had. Booked anticipating A game six. Victory they had, dope, yes their celebration in that sushi. Restaurant we talked about marketing, before but in terms of strategy and you, know just sticking it to the other. Guy is this not one of the all time?
Speaker 9: Greats it is, great and this is up there With, hey we've already made plans for the victory parade that's gonna happen after game seven On. Friday oh, really, well let's see, there, okay you, know just go, ahead thanks for the bulletin, board mature and they put that ON i guess on the, whiteboard, right and then what Does florida come out and do they? Score what was outscored them in the last two games ten to, three five goals in both of those. Games, smart really good. Idea maybe you just kind of want to temper that a little.
Speaker 1: BIT i should have looked this up ahead of, time BUT i want to, say you got to go back to, Well i'm going To i'll pause things right, here and we'll find out when was the last time A canadian team won The Stanley? Cup ninety? Three, yeah right? Here, yeah, okay good, man all, right that's amazing to. Me The Stanley cup has been living in The United. States and by the, way The panthers damaged it almost immediately they were taking it. Out but my buddy From toronto once he told me the other, night he, said, yeah once a team accidentally left The Stanley cup on the side of the highway. THERE i guess they all got jumped out to take care of. Business and whoever was in charge of putting the cup back in the vehicle failed. Miserably All, right our Next Todd, reid, is WOULD i think a brilliant way that A SEATTLE tv Anchor Aaron levine Handled Oklahoma city's win in the championship game over The Indiana. Pacers, now the, backstory of, course is The thunder used to be The Seattle. SuperSonics they got yanked out Of seattle, unfairly and now they're in Ok, see they're still. Bitter in, fact this SoundBite i'll play for you in a minute came along with a hashtag bring him back and hashtag still. Bitter here it is finally.
Speaker 9: Tonight, unfortunately The Indiana pacers Lose game seven of THE Nba.
Speaker 1: Finals big game.
Speaker 9: For The sounders tomorrow we will see out At.
Speaker 1: Livingfield that was the end of his sports, Cast. Gary that's all he said about it was that not, brilliant.
Speaker 9: Beautiful that's all they. Deserved after the owner who initially said we're gonna do everything we can to keep thumbing The seattle and then it's, like, well we didn't buy the team to keep it In, seattle talking out of both sides of his. Mouth they didn't even deserve that much of. It look if you have no allegiance to Either seattle Or Oklahoma, city go visit both and then tell me which one would you rather go back and spend a little more time. In especially this time of.
Speaker 1: Year seattle is my favorite city in The United, states all due respect to my hometown Of louisville to my city here Lexingon seattle is. Incredible but here's a cool little tie in for. You the radio voice of The Utah jazz Is David Locke. Lockheim he goes By David. Locke he was part of the broadcast crew for The Seattle, SuperSonics AND i think he had just landed the playbo play job because the guy. Retired bottom line is he had just gotten his dream, job and then they moved To Oklahoma city and they fired everybody in the front, office Including. DAVID i have Met david because he's married to a former co worker from w KYT A kemy To. Kay she moved from lexingon To. Seattle she was a sideline reporter for The seahawks and met up With. David they got. Married kemy is the niece of Mister Sulu george Ta. Kay i'll be daring just HOW i know it's pronounced a k and not the. Kui because she corrected. Me that's of course has the background to do so quite. Well so all of that to me is in her. Twelve So i'm angry at The SuperSonics on behalf Of david and A kemi who ended. Up they've landed on their. Feet they ended up In Salt Lake, city, uh with The Utah, jazz but that that damaged a lot of people when they. Did it was, unnecessary completely.
Speaker 9: Unnecessary and, LOOK i was born In, evansville So i'm going to cheer for The pacers anyway if they got in, there hopefully they would win one of. These and also because of what happened with The SuperSonics, yea AND i think they're finally going to get ANOTHER nba team at some, point, right Didn't silver say that the next time they do an, expansion they want to Do. Seattle DIDN'T i dream?
Speaker 1: That he basically Said seattle deserves, it, which on the other, hand the folks In louisville who have been banging the drum for THE nba that would put them with at least one city, Behind so you, know you gotta take it as you can get. It he Is Gary. Moore he is our West end bureau. Chief we hear him each and every week and you can follow along, daily, hourly in fact on Extra twitter at.
Speaker 9: At nine to five to Five, gary WHERE i follow you by the microsecond at that's, right a big boone sider.
Speaker 1: One thank, you, Sir stay, cool you, too, brother by the, way for tuning in THE nba draft and you already know all about the player. Evaluations but if you just keep an eye on THE uk, guys and you might have heard me earlier talk about how ESPN's expert Had Kobe brea And Mari williams going in the second. Round Yahoo sports has ranked the top seventy, players not how they're going to be, drafted just ranked the players with of Course Cooper flag number. One but they Got Kobe brea forty. One they've got A Mari williams fifty, three which is basically very similar to what they had on THE espn. Side but they've got a Du theero twenty. Seventh, interesting what else do they? Have JOHN. I broom is ranked Behind Kobe brea at forty. SEVEN a lot of people had him going in the top ten for a while. There Chucky, Hepburn louisville's. Guard really good, player fun to. Watch they have him ranked fifty. Eighth they Got Jackson robinson ranked sixty, fourth AND i find it fascinating that he is ranked. Ahead patinos GUY. R. J, lewis who, went was ranked at sixty seven By Yahoo's. Sports so just something to think about if you keep an eye on the. Draft tonight thanks to my Guest Gary, Moore Shawn, Woods Aaron. Gershawn that's. It good night from the garage In. Lexington you get up in the, morning she's. There you go to sleep at, night she's.
Speaker 4: There it's like you got to ask permission to use the?
Speaker 1: Bathroom is it all?
Speaker 8: Right buderos the? Bathroom such?
Speaker 7: Tact the.
Speaker 1: Shop?
Speaker 8: Doing can anything? Anything stack thinks back int