Speaker 1: With full camp already in full swing, there is a lot to talk about around the Ohio State football program. So we're getting a little bit of a bonus episode today sponsored by our friends at Jeff Ruby's Columbus, the award running upscale steakhouse in downtown Columbus, name one of the top fifty steakhouses in America by Food Network. Just go to Jeff ruby dot com slash Columbus to check them out the menu and make a reservation today. All right, So this is the first of a couple of bonus episodes you're going to get in the next day or two. First one, want to let you hear a little bit from Ohio State head coach Ryan Day. We got a chance to talk to him after the first day of practice. That'd have been Thursday afternoon last week.
Speaker 3: So most of this.
Speaker 1: Stuff is very big picture, so still very very relevant, but some of it is going to be framed around the fact that, hey, it's.
Speaker 3: Just day one.
Speaker 1: They weren't in pads yet, so just sort of go in understanding that first day in pads was on Saturday, practice three. We have shows talking about that already for you if you want to hear those. So all right, let's start with Ryan Day talking about some of the freshmen. You know, they are a bunch of freshmen that seem like they may be ready to contribute this year and contribution as a true freshman. The whole conversation or in that has really changed with the change to the red shirt rule. Now you've got five years to play five years. You can play five seasons. You can play every game you want in all five seasons. That's totally fine. No more only playing in four regular season games. That's done. So anyone who wants to play can play in as many games as they want to this year without impacting their future eligibility. So all right, So what does he see out of the freshmen? Are they maybe ready to contribute? He was also specifically in the question here was asked specifically about people like Chris Henry Junior and Brock Boyd Well.
Speaker 2: I mean, everybody's playing now. The red shirt idea doesn't really exist moving forward. So first off, everybody in the program should have the idea that they're fighting for Physicians fighting for playing time, want to get on the field. I think those guys in particular are really fighting hard. I think they can see it We saw enough in them in the spring to lead us to believe that they can help us the year. The question is how early and how much? And that's what preseason is going to be about.
Speaker 1: One of the big storylines through fall camp is going to be the alignment of the offensive line and how they're going to line those guys up and who are those five guys going to be. It is something that we've been talking about a bunch on a bunch of these different shows, and it was a story quite a bit this week as well. They opened Day one with Austin Sirivald at right guard, ian Moore at left tackle. They then moved Austin Siravall back to left tackle Josh Padieta right guard on on Friday, then went back to Austin Seervel at right guard and Ian Moore at left tackle on Saturday. So what is the plan there? And you will notice he also mentions Philip Daniels in this answer as well, which is a little bit interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, We're going to try a couple different combinations today.
Speaker 2: We did two spots, so sort of just you know, Scarlett and Gray, not really ones and twos. You know, we are going to look at him playing tackle as you saw last year, also look at him playing guard, and I think you know when you look at Josh Badio, when you look at Ian Moore, and you look at Phil Daniels.
Speaker 3: Finding the best five is what we're going to do.
Speaker 2: But part of that five is knowing that Austin can play both guard and tackle, so he spent a lot of time to tackle here most recently, so I thought we wanted to get them some guard reps.
Speaker 3: See how we felt in there, see how we looked.
Speaker 2: It's been a little while, so we'll see how it goes, and it's going to be really good competition. Good news is we have some different options, but we got to find the best five.
Speaker 1: One of the storylines this spring was the fact that they needed to get more from their receivers after catch, so yack yards after catch. You remember may remember John Madden talking about that back in the day. But right now they're trying to figure out, Okay, which receivers are going to get them more yardage after the catch. But that feels like that's kind of hard if you're not tackling, and they're really not tackling yet, so how do you figure out at who excels at evading tackles. If you're not tackling, how.
Speaker 3: Do you identify it in practice?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's when you're when you're not tackling, it's hard when you're not fudding. Like today it was just a homet's practice, it's even harder. It's a huge emphasis. We spent a lot of time on it. Quotes, he spent a lot of time on it, has some very strong thoughts on it. So we got to work it every day in practice the drills and then see a carry over to the teamwork. But once we get the pads on, we'll have a better idea and certainly when we start tacklet we'll have a you know, hopefully we'll see those drills translate to production.
Speaker 1: One of the names you've heard a lot from us over the last month or two after we've been talking to some folks in the program is Isaiah West. That is a running back who was banged up a bunch in his true freshman season, was quite a bit behind Bo Jackson in terms of both kerries and yardage in twenty twenty five, and now this year, boy, it seems like he is really maybe competing for that starting job. So what has he done to get himself into that spot.
Speaker 2: Well, first off, you can see his body, we can see the work he's put in. Had a tremendous offseason and one of the best in the whole building consistency, and when he was in there last year he showed some real good things. So we want him to take the next step, just as we do Bo. But I mean just Isaiah one year in the program. By the way, You know, when when you have the injury like he had, sometimes it takes a year or two to get.
Speaker 3: Back into it.
Speaker 2: And we're seeing him look the best physically he's looked, and so that's exciting.
Speaker 3: But again, same thing just day one.
Speaker 1: Another name you've heard us talking about the bunch this week is Devin McEwan, the transfer from UT San Antonio. You had a big adjustment to make going from the road Runners to the Buckeyes this spring. So what has he done to get himself in a position to play a big role this season?
Speaker 2: No, it is and the same thing I tell a lot of the guys. If you want to have credibility here, you want to win, One, you play special teams. Two, you attach yourself to Nick in the way where He's had a great offseason.
Speaker 3: You can see his body's changed.
Speaker 2: He's earned a lot of respect but recognized for that, you know, with what he did this summer.
Speaker 3: So now he's going to go put it on the field.
Speaker 2: I thought he was consistent in the spring, but now he's going to, you know, take take a huge step here because that position, as we know, is going to be critical.
Speaker 3: And we saw what happened last year.
Speaker 2: We saw obviously the attention that that Jeremiah is going to get, Brandon's going to get, so that that that position is really going to be an important part of our offense. And you know, Devin certainly has put himself in a position to be that guy, but I was going to compete for it.
Speaker 3: We're in the job a lot.
Speaker 1: Like the offensive line, things were shuffled around a good bit in the secondary this week as well. Day one, dominic Kelly was with the ones on the outside across from Devin Sanchez, with Jermaine Matthews at nickel or maybe with the twos at times. But is that a sign that dominic Kelly is really a legitimate contender to start this year? Is that a sign that they're just sort of moving stuff around figure out what they have, what what to what to make of the corner.
Speaker 2: So far, yeah, we're just we're just rolling guys right now, but we want it is a competition and we want guys to compete, and a lot of guys have earned the right to do that.
Speaker 3: So now's the time. We're going to re roll these guys and then.
Speaker 2: These reps accumulate, we evaluate the reps and see where it goes. And we've seen, you know.
Speaker 3: Certain competitions be over in a week.
Speaker 2: We've seen competitions last all the way up until game week. But we need to find, you know, what that combination is going to be there. And do we feel like we have two corners that we can just play all the time.
Speaker 3: Do we feel like there's three that we can rotate? How does that play into the nickel position?
Speaker 2: Those are all parts of what we need to solve here in the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: It's easy to forget about special teams. We do shows on offense, shows on defense, and then it's like, oh, yeah, they also have special teams, and boy, when you need special teams, you really really need special teams. And it feels like it's more of an emphasis this year, they brought in Robbie Disher, the special teams coordinator from Illinois. He is now the special teams coordinator at Ohio State. Brought in Connor Hawkins, the kicker transfer from Baylor. Brought in Dalton Riggs, a long snapper transfer out of UCF Rush Joe Maguire is back to do the punting. So how much are they going to be stressing special teams this month and how are they going to find ways to test Connor Hawkins to understand what they really have to work with.
Speaker 2: Well, first off, the kicking game in general, special teams are a huge part of what we do in just our foundation of how we teach fundamental football. So everybody's involved with those meetings. The kicking game in particular with the battery. You know, Dalton is new, but but he's really getting a good a good feel with with Joey.
Speaker 3: So in the.
Speaker 2: Punting game, you know there you know snap to a kick operation. I think Joey's taking a next step, but we've got to build depth there as well.
Speaker 3: So that's been good.
Speaker 2: And then getting a feel for Dalton as a long snap for what he can do. But then in the field goal kicking games to your point, you know, every single snap matters. I mean, we're chasing small margins. So we'll quickly get in the situations here and and that's everybody, so that everybody can feel how important that is. It's one thing to go out and kick seven field goals and then at the end, say, you know, at this one counts type of thing, and you know, we all got to run ten laps, do twenty five updowns. If he misses it, but he's already kicked seven in a row, it's not realistic. So what we'll try to do is we'll try to create situations like you put a sure certain time on the clock, balls around midfield, Okay, we're going to play this out. Offense needs a field goal, and then put him in that situation where he doesn't have a bunch of field goals to war.
Speaker 3: It's like being at the driving range.
Speaker 2: You don't get to go to the driving range, you know, you know when you are the back nine. So that's what we're trying to do, and see how we responds to the different environments. We'll look to see, you know, how to win the weather. Hopefully we get different variations of that during the preseason, they get a field for his range and how we can handle it.
Speaker 1: We've done a bunch of shows about the storylines we're watching this month and the positional battles were watching this month and the players the most approved this month. Ryan Day was asked about what he's watching for this month storylines, position battles. What is he most interested to see this one this month?
Speaker 2: Well, I think we all want to see how how the offensive line shakes out here, that's for sure. I think the tight end room is an interesting room. I think we do have some depth there, but who's actually going to take the majority of those reps? And you guys who can count on us that third, fourth, fifth, sixth wide receiver position? I think. I think the running back position is very unique, and we have in the room.
Speaker 3: We have some talent, we have a little bit of experience, but.
Speaker 2: If we're going to get to where we need to go, when we've made major runs here, running backs have run really well here. You look what Zeke did, obviously, you look what you Travion did. You look up good Sean did? Like in those games, I mean, they take over and that's what we're gonna be out of that room. So offensively, I would say those are the things we're looking at. Also, you know, backup quarterback position critical. Certainly we are going to talk about Julian, but we need to have depth in that room as well, so those guys got to step up.
Speaker 3: And then on defense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how the back end shakes out in terms of depth there and then you know, seeing how it all comes together up front or all the things we're looking at.
Speaker 1: Things are very different in terms of fall camp from how they used to be. No more two days, no more walking in and not having seen guys for months and not knowing what's going on. So what is a very very different thing. The coaches can work with the players a lot more than they used to under some new NC double A rules, but still is there a little bit of an extra juice or an extra jolt of energy for the start of fall camp.
Speaker 3: It definitely is different than it used to be.
Speaker 2: I remember, you know back when I played, you know, you showed up with your box fan and you met your roommate for the first time, and you know camp started the next day. You know, it's like either you show up, well, you had a conditioning test before he's that conditioning test and either made commissioning test and you came back every mornings you made commissioning test. There's just nothing like that anymore. There's just such a lead up with the workouts and everything that we do. But anytime you put the helmets on, anytime you start going against each other, it's completely different. And you know, we get a chance yesterday to get together talk about our goals, talk about the vision for the team, talk about our identity, talk about where we.
Speaker 3: Want to go.
Speaker 2: It kind of gives us a focus on football. I think physically we look as good as we have. I think we had the talent and now we got to go play.
Speaker 1: So you go a little bit from Ryan Day earlier in the week. We'll have a show with Julian saying some of the stuff from him on Saturday coming up in this feed in just a little bit. Want to let you know that you can find all sorts of content about the Ohio State fallcamp, Ohio State recruiting. They got a five star quarterback signee committed on Saturday.
Speaker 3: And talk about that.
Speaker 1: You can talk about the season, positional battles, all sorts of stuff with us at Buckeyeinsiders dot com. That's where you can find Tony and Me covering the team. We've got Juck covering recruiting. We got Ross and Michael Pettitt covering x's and o's. We've got Marcus Hartman as your basketball insider. That is all at Buckeye Insiders dot com plus say really really fun and active community. We are planning some live events right now for the falls, tailgates, all sorts of fun stuff. You're gonna want to be a part of it. The best way to do it is become a part of Buckeye Insiders dot com. If you're watching on YouTube, just scan that convenient QR code on your screen, or just go ahead and can go to Buckeye Insiders dot com. That'll do it for now. Thank you guys all for joining us. We'll be back soon