Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZY Boston's news video.
Speaker 2: All right, Nicole, thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Yes, there seems to be a cease fire on the doorstep in the Middle East. Anytime people stop killing each other. I'm all for it. Long overdue and it's about time. That's all I can tell you. Then I look over here on the left. I'm looking at television monitors here in the Beezy studio, and I see that Kamali's team continues to make excuses about their loss, why they didn't go on Rogan and blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: It's over. Let it go.
Speaker 3: That's it. That's it. That is about as serious. No, that is as serious as I'm gonna get tonight because I'm ready for turkey stuffing, movies and sweatpants. The greatest adventure you know, the man or.
Speaker 2: A woman is.
Speaker 3: It's the sweat band. It is the elastic band. It is the rope that you can let out in your sweatpants. I remember my uncle Jim, after Thanksgimmick dinner, sitting in front of the television set to watch football, literally unbuckling his belt and just letting the thing hang off and then unbuckling the top button, unbuckling the top button of your pants. You would be arrested today if you did that, but thanks to the sweatpant on Thursday, you don't have to do it. This is where my head's at. No heavy lifting, no heavy thinking. It's the holidays, people, and let's get do it. So coming up tonight on Night Side, Gary Tagway for Dan Ray, we're gonna get into the holiday movies. My buddy Drewiano is gonna join us. Screenwriting professor at BC for over a decade, wrote the screenplay No Safe Haven. Has written a number of novels. Also wrote a book called The Third Act. Has been a consultant for Will Smith in Will Smith's Company. This guy knows movies like nobody's business, and he's been working on a list all day for the best holiday movies. Now, there are some obvious ones. The one thing that about the holiday movie the new ones really haven't captured it. There's been nothing new lately. There is one with Kurt Russalove, we'll get into that, which I liked the Christmas Chronicles. One was good, two was a little much. But I think he wanted to get Goldie in it. I understand, so they made a Christmas Chronicles two. I like Christmas Chronicles one, but that's really the only recent holiday movie that I think is any good.
Speaker 2: I could be wrong.
Speaker 3: I could be wrong on that, but that's anyways. We're going to cover that and also some great stories with Drew on these holiday movies. And where would we be without John Hughes. God bless him me he rest in peace. I mean John Hughes as a writer and a director made the two of the best holiday movies Plays Trains at Automobiles and Home Alone. Those are not my top those might be in my top five. But I'm going to tell you my number one holiday movie coming up, which I think initially the critics just panned. And also there's a very interesting story on how two actors didn't get along in it, and that's coming up in just a few moments. What's going on in the world of entertainment. One of the things we like to do around the holidays is sit on our ass and watch TV and stream and movies and look for things. There just is not the inventory that we're accustomed to. Sure, you can go back and you can watch the older movies, or maybe there's something you haven't seen. I haven't seen shinless lists and I just can't bring myself to do it, and I need to do it, should do it. Every time I go to do it, I go it's too heavy.
Speaker 2: I can't handle it. I'm whistened out.
Speaker 3: But I should do it out of respect for the story, the cause, live loss, Lives lost, sacrificed, the filmmaker, the actors. I just need to watch that movie, but I just I just can't. I can't bring myself to do it. But what's going on with the world of entertainment? There was a big meaning between Netflix and all the powers that be out in Hollywood. It did not go well. I mean, listen, TVs. We all know, I mean TV is dead. Thank God for Law and Order. I mean Law and Order and the fbis and of course reality reality television. You know where you have the voice, so you have American Idol, or you know, you have these survival shows or f Boy Island that I'm finding.
Speaker 2: Out that my teenage daughter is watching. I'm like, what, excuse me?
Speaker 3: When you get to the third kid, I'm too damn tired to worry about what they're watching.
Speaker 2: They all know so much.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, what kids know at fourteen and fifteen. I didn't know when I was twenty, and I blame the phones. Can't blame me, the parent, blame the phones. But I mean, when it comes to like what we grew up with TV, it's like stuff like that or The X Factor, right, or The Survivor. But when it comes to drama, great fiction, great shows, great movies, it's all streaming. Where's it going? When are we going to see the next great show? There's not a lot out there, right, I mean, right now, picketts are pretty slim. I've got a few. But what's going on in the industry and how are we going to be entertained in the future. One of the things I'm going to ask Emily Kennedy about, who is an agent for the WSM Agency and has worked in a number of areas of entertainment throughout her career before going into the agency business, is is the situation comedy's gonna be replaced by Instagram? My wife goes on Instagram and just scrolls it and laughs and just laughs one after another after another.
Speaker 2: I mean, is there no reason to have a new Cheers? Right?
Speaker 3: I mean Abbot elementary God, but thank God for that. But at one point in time, we have five or six or seven or eight Abbot Elementaries.
Speaker 2: You could watch now.
Speaker 3: It's Abbot Elementary and Instagram or f Boy Island. Oh God, Porzingis is back Celtics. If you have Porzingis, They're not gonna lose to anybody, not at all. They are not gonna lose to anybody. And Peyton Prishart could he be the sixth Man of the Year. Gotta get into some Celtics here with Jackson. Jackson Tulliver's gonna join us. Also one of my prime students at Emerson, but he does great work for CELNS Media, so we're gonna talk Celtics soup with him. This is interesting coming up at ten thirty. Make sure you join us for the Dark Side of AI Scarbarredell. Anytime AI screws up, I'm all for it.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: I do realize that I don't realize how dependent I am on AI. When I look at my phone, you know, or when you just say you're you know, you send a text and you get autocorrect. I mean that's AI. We are so dependent on AI. I don't even know when AI helps me. I really don't. But anytime there's a black mark on AI because AI scares the hell out of me, even though I use it all the time and it makes my life easier. I'm such a hypocrite. I'm all for it, and he's got a story coming up. But we're going to talk about this because.
Speaker 2: I do worry. Will computers run the world? Will they?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: Come on, I root against AI, even though I am totally dependent on it. That's all coming up at ten thirty eleven o'clock. I need your help. What are we thankful for? I started with sweatpants, but I want unique things.
Speaker 2: We are or we're.
Speaker 3: Grateful for love, We're grateful for help. I'm grateful for Rob Brooks, you know. I'm grateful for Marita, who produced the show tonight. I'm grateful for my family. I'm grateful for my health. Believe me, I bet hey. I was at Dana Farber. I am grateful for Dana Farber. By the way, if you have a couple of extra shekels you're looking to maybe get a little tax break, Dana Farber, send the money over there. They will either save your life or they will save somebody. You know, trust me because I've experienced both. Or mass general I'm not getting it. Whatever you know, when it comes to cancer, man, if you can, if you can help out, do it this Christmas. Send a little money does it can be a dollar, it can be five dollars, It doesn't have to be a lot.
Speaker 2: Can be fair, I mean, fifty cents.
Speaker 3: Take your change drawer. Does anybody have those anymore? I mean with Venmo people probably don't even have change drawers.
Speaker 2: Take it.
Speaker 3: If you do, you have a change drawer buried in the socks like me, send it over to dand Farber.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is the show tonight, what we're thankful for, but I want to be We're gonna have some fun at eleven o'clock. It's not the typical stereotypical things we're thankful for. Let's get into the movies. Let's get into the holiday movies. Let's get into the stories behind the stories again. I have a great story for you coming up on ELF. What was going on with that set? We'll get into planes, trains, and automobiles, and a big portion of that was cut out and it turned out for the better.
Speaker 2: The only problem I have.
Speaker 3: With Home Alone is they made Home Alone two. They should have just left it alone. Sorry, for the Redundancy.
Speaker 2: Droiano, screenwriter, author, professor and friend of Gary, joins us as we talked holiday movies. Next he on wbz's Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan d Mine from the Window World Videos on w b Z the News Radio.
Speaker 2: Oh huh, why did you kiss my hair? Where you're holding my hand? There's your other hand between two pillows. Those aren't pillows.
Speaker 5: Oh hey, huh.
Speaker 2: See that Bear's game last week? Helloa game, Hello game. Bear's got a great team to ship. They're gonna go all the way.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, one of the best movie scenons ever. Welcome back NICs like Gary Tank, We for Dan Ray, Steve Martin, John Candy, of course, planes, trains and automobiles. We're talking about holiday movies and joining me now is my friend Drew Giano.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: Screenwriting professor also has written a book called The Third Act. By the way, if you want to write, you have to get the Third Act. Will Smith absolutely use this book.
Speaker 2: You have to.
Speaker 3: If you want to write, you have to get The Third Act by Drewiano also wrote The Smart One Michael Vogel in Idea Story to Screen.
Speaker 2: What's going on? Horace? How you doing? Happy Thanksgiving?
Speaker 4: Happy Thanksgiving gear.
Speaker 3: Hey, doesn't I hear that clip? And I just get all fuzzy inside.
Speaker 2: I just love it.
Speaker 4: It's it's just still funny. The whole movie is just still funny. It's a classic. It'll go forever, all right.
Speaker 3: Drew's got a list of the great holiday movies. If you guys want to chime in, give us a call to if you have any suggestions. But we're going to try to get into some of the stories behind the stories. And I know you're a big John Hughes fan, but arguement, I mean, listen, it's not my number one. I'm going to tell you what my number one holiday movie is coming up in a bit. But I think from most everybody, Planes, trains, and Automobiles is number one.
Speaker 4: Well, certainly the number one Thanksgiving movie. I mean, my wife and I will watch it tomorrow night, we always do, like before Thanksgiving. And you know, incidentally, it was released thirty seven years ago yesterday. Wow, And it's such a great story. And Hughes had the idea when he was going on vacation and he's going down the list of things so I wouldn't forget, And they thought, well, if I forgot one of my kids literally how they came up with the idea, Oh no, I'm thinking to the other one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's easy to do.
Speaker 4: Ows trains, planes trains. He got from his own experience as a copywriter, right, And he was sitting around and they were all talking about, you know, getting stranded in places, and you know that was by strains, which he then, you know, paired John Candy with Steve Martin, which is the greatest pairing in comedy history.
Speaker 3: I think, do you think hughs Because he was in the advertising business and a copywriter, he was able to bring that commercial end or that commercial angle to.
Speaker 2: The movies while still delivering a lot of heart.
Speaker 3: Because if you think, like you always told me when we were talking about Drew, about a movie, it's got to have heart, you know, I mean there's got to be some heart in there. Okay, maybe Halloween one through five doesn't have heart, but you know, when you're a copyrighted yeah, when you're comedy, to have heart, right, And he was.
Speaker 2: He was awesome at that. Hughes was the master.
Speaker 4: Yeah, totally. And the thing about writing commercials is economy. You have to tell a story really quickly. Think of all the best commercials you've ever watched. I mean, they're a story in such thirty seconds or a minute, and I think that helped him. And you know, you can see it on the screen, especially plain strains, because it was three hours and forty five minutes once they were done filming, and it ended up being an hour in thirty three minutes. He cut out all the stuff that didn't need to be there.
Speaker 2: It was that Wow, it sounds like a Scorsese film.
Speaker 4: Yeah. No, he just kept filming and they led him and you know, you have Steve Martin and John Candy. They improvised a lot, so you know, they just kept it and then just when it came time to edit, man did they addit.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: It was so interesting from Martin because I remember when he came out with the wild and crazy guy in the balloons and all that, and that for comedy that really wasn't my thing. A lot of friends in college liked him on SNL, Wild and Crazy Guys and all that that. Really, yeah, I thought he was okay, you know, he wasn't my cup of tea. But boy, in movies like this, that guy was nails. And here was a guy known from comedy that was really he had the dramatic role in this movie.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, oh yeah, he didn't have the lines. And you know, you think about Martin, he the first arena comic. You know, you got Nate Bergatzi and right, Nashi Messk calcol and all those guys you know playing in arenas back then that didn't happen, and he was the first. And you're right here he is playing a straight guy in his first straight you know role, even though it's comedy. And you know he talks about that. Yeah, there's Netflix that has the documentary. It's a terrific documentary.
Speaker 6: It is.
Speaker 2: It's great. Yeah, it's great.
Speaker 3: Drewiana was our guest talking about holiday movies and right down, planes, trains and automobiles one of the best. And you're right, it's not if if you don't watch it on demand, it's on TBS or TNT or it's.
Speaker 2: Somewhere over there.
Speaker 4: You can find it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's easily easily, you can find it.
Speaker 3: So the thing that I found really interesting, and it was in the Steve Mark and Steve Martin doc is that candy speech at the end when when he reveals that he doesn't have a home because he lost his wife and during the holiday days he just travels and and well people know the story pretty much and grabs on to people. Originally that speech was what three four minutes he.
Speaker 4: It was a page and a half in the script, and you know, Steve Martin and the documentary they said he was tears with candy delivering it, because that's the beauty of candy. He could be funny as hell, but man, he could act. And you know, I think John Hughes made the right choice because he just has to say those couple of lines. You know, you know, what are you doing here?
Speaker 1: Dell?
Speaker 4: You know I don't have a home, Neil. You know my wife died eight years ago, and boom, and you know from all the action that's taken place that what that speech says, you've already taken in right, You've interpret that in their actions, and so I do think it was the right move. They also had, you know, talking about this three hours and forty five minutes. They filmed this scene with him having dinner with the family after he comes up with his you know, trunk, and they're going in the house and don't need that, right, So that's the kind of thing where they film and don't need it.
Speaker 3: I think walking up the street with both of them carrying the trunk is iconic.
Speaker 4: It's that is the word. It's iconic. You show that to anybody any time of the year and the feeling just comes up. It's so funny because sometimes, you know, July, he'll be switching the channels all of a sudden, Blames trains will be on and I can't help but watch it if it's on. But you're right, you see that scene and you just get choked up. It's great.
Speaker 3: Do you think this is what led opportunities for Candy, for example, to be in JFK because he can act.
Speaker 2: We saw that he could act.
Speaker 4: That's exactly right. I mean this. He deserved an Oscar nomination as far as I've been saying, I think he had a Golden Globe nomination. I don't know if you had any o Thiss, but he deserved it because you know, you're an actor. So I talk about it all the time, actors who act with their face, you know, it's not so much what they say, but they can literally deliver the emotion on their face. And he does that in this movie like constantly, particularly in that train scene at the end. It's amazing, and I think that's why he got cast in more serious roles, because he could act.
Speaker 2: I think it's so hard, Drew.
Speaker 3: Drew and I have written screenplays together, and we love to write, and we love to talk about movies, and so fartha, it's so hard, especially now where people are accustomed to film and human behavior and the story formula.
Speaker 2: If you will that, some people will say, well.
Speaker 3: It's too formulaic, and I'm like, well, no, there is still a formula.
Speaker 2: You just have to do a very good job at disguising it.
Speaker 3: Now you see it over ten episodes as opposed to seeing it over three acts. But when you watch that movie Planes Trains, there are easter eggs along the way that tell you his situation.
Speaker 2: But I never picked up on it.
Speaker 3: And the hardest thing to do as a writer is to surprise somebody but still make it believable.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you got to plant those things, and they did. And then you know when he when Martin's on the train going home and he starts thinking, and then they played the you know, the soundbites of what Candy says, and all of a sudden he realizes, oh my god, you know, I've been home in years. You know that line and all the others. And when you hear him in the movie during the movie, because it's moving fast, you just think, oh yeah, okay. But then when he wraps it up at the end, boom, you know, and.
Speaker 3: He's talking about and when he talks about his wife, right, you know, he'll he'll speak about his wife, and you think, okay, well, she's just at home waiting for him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, we got at least we got wives who love us or something like that. When they're in the second hotel room, you know, I just know where the car burns up.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, let's talk about that, Drew. When they're driving down the highway and the thing is spinning around how to get.
Speaker 4: Thro and he punches him in the stomach and he listens says, you know, that's how Audini died. You know, I laugh every time I hear that. That's such a great line.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: It is true that it is how Houdini died, which makes it even more funny.
Speaker 3: Anyway, we're just getting started. We got to talk about Home Altte next. Plus Drew has seven other holiday movies you can't miss. Plus is die Hard a holiday movie. It's all coming up on WBZ with our guest Drew Giano here on Nightside.
Speaker 2: You're on night Side.
Speaker 1: With Dan ray on WBZ, Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 3: Welcome Buck, Gary Tankway for Dan ray tonight. Drew Janno was my guest screenwriter professor Screenranger BC.
Speaker 2: We're talking about holiday.
Speaker 3: Movies in movies that we love and John Hughes is a big part of this. Can you imagine if there was no John Hughes, I mean Drew, I mean this guy, he really he kind of developed a style, if you will, a format.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, I mean you go back sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club, which is just iconic. You know, all these movies Home Alone. He just was amazing. And you know, Plaines Trains was the first one that wasn't set in like the teen years in the yearly twenty years. He just was amazing. And it's sad we you know, we lost them when we did, because he'd still be making great movies. I'm sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean tell you what you've told me.
Speaker 3: The story before he was an ad executive in Chicago and then he just decided to go to La How did he get his big break?
Speaker 4: He wrote a script and it was one of the yearly ones. I don't know if it was sixteen Candles or not, but you know, immediately they recognize his talent because he just and he was. He would write in the bathroom, he would write anywhere he could. You know, he wrote I don't know if it was Home Alone or one of them in like two days, which you know is about impossible, but he just I think that's again that's his whole ad agency kind of thing, because man, they have to turn stuff out, and he just he had that kind of brain.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's get to Home Alone. Now.
Speaker 3: Now it was directed by Chris Columbus. How come was he just not in a situation at that point in time to be able to direct because he wrote it and he produced it, but Chris Chris Columbus directed it.
Speaker 4: He was available because he was on the set most of the time. He I don't think he wanted to direct it, and you know, he got Chris Columbus. I forget who the other guy was that he originally fought. But Chris Columbus became available because he was going to do National Lampoons Christmas dication and he didn't get along with Chevy Chase. He's not alone in that category. So he quit and John Hughes grabbed him and had him do Home Alone and he did a great job. But they worked so close together. I mean, why wouldn't you if you're the director and you got John who's sitting next year.
Speaker 2: Well, there's similar directors.
Speaker 3: I mean they have that similar I mean you know, if you think about Chris Columbus, you think miss is out fire.
Speaker 4: Right, Well, it's that heart thing. There's a comedy with heart again, right, It's what people love. Make me laugh and make me feel well.
Speaker 3: That's why Abbed Elementary is so good. The formula hasn't changed.
Speaker 4: No, it's hard to do. It's hard as hell to do, and you notice it when it's not there, when it's just kind of funny but there's no heart. But yeah, no, it's it's it's what we all want.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: You were just starting to talk about when we opened up the show, how he got the idea for oh, and.
Speaker 4: I got to fix stuff on that because I love of the ideas. But the Home Alone one, he's literally making out a list before he and his family go on vacation. He's like, when I forget you. I could forget one of my kids. And you know, you know how that is.
Speaker 2: You get an idea for a movie, Oh.
Speaker 4: Man, they just come into your head and that was it, and he wrote it quickly and the rest is history.
Speaker 2: So let's talk about the cash for a minute.
Speaker 3: Because when I think of Joe Peshi, obviously I always think of Goodfellas, the classic scene, you know, so you think I'm funny, do I amuse you? And you think of de Niro raging Bull, you know, and that's stuff, you know, even JFK. But I always forget how great he was in Home Alone, Home Alone too.
Speaker 2: I looked up the money.
Speaker 3: He got four and a half million for Home Alone and seven million for Home Alone two. Yeah, and my cousin Vinny too. I mean, let's talk about Peschi for a minute and his comedic ability. And this is a guy that wasn't classically trained.
Speaker 4: No, de Niro was the same way. I mean, yeah, he can do conty, that's for sure. I mean, right, Peshi on Home Alone was a little difficult because he didn't think the lines were suitable for someone with his training and acting ability, and he couldn't wear it. So that's why he does all that gibberish sounds like swearing in the in film. And the other big thing that you know they talk about is he hated he wanted to play golf, and they were filming in the spring, and he wanted to play golf before his scenes. But he'd get a call seated like you know, seven o'clock or eight o'clock in the morning, and he flat over it. And finally they never shot any of his scenes until you know, in the morning, so he could play his nine holes to golf.
Speaker 3: I did have a chance to interview him on a golf course once drew not I was Brad Faxon and Billy Andre's tournament. I think the CBS fundraiser down to Rhode Island, and my god, I interviewed Glenn Fry.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, this is a flashback. How about this?
Speaker 3: I interviewed Glenn Fry and Joe Peshy nice and Glenn Fry, God blessing me. Rest in Peace was so pissed off at his golf game. I mean he was like so, and I'm like, hey, you know, you know I'm working a Channel four and you know you're trying to get the happy Hey, how's it feel.
Speaker 2: To be out of here today? It's a beautiful day. Play golf.
Speaker 3: He was miserable. He had put one in the woods. Oh my god, you'd swear to god. I mean, he was like out of his mind. I couldn't put it on TV. And then John Hurley, who played who was on Seinfeld.
Speaker 2: He's a native guy. He was there. He was terrific. But I interview Pecci and you know what I said to him, this is such a stupid thing to do, you know, with stupid reporters.
Speaker 3: Try to be funny. I said to him, I go hit me, you know, like den Heiro did a riging ball.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, go hit me.
Speaker 2: And he just looked at me like, just.
Speaker 4: Go away, Oh dear, go away.
Speaker 3: And my photographer was a woman who was very attractive. He wanted to talk to her. He did not want to Yeah, he did not want to.
Speaker 2: Talk to me.
Speaker 3: But that's really interesting. So Home Alone, where do you if you had to pick one of the two playing strains are home Alone?
Speaker 2: Which would you go with?
Speaker 4: Man, it's so hard and they both have the same thing at the end of that emotional punch at the end, you know, well.
Speaker 2: The neighbors broke the neighbor with the shovel. I mean, he's brill but.
Speaker 4: But cans Ohiera when she says, Oh, Kevin, I'm so sorry. You're gonna die when that happens. And it's hard for me to say. I think they're almost equal in my book. And what I love is I can watch Planes Train three before Thanksgiving and the watch Home Alone right before Christmas. You know, it's like it's like the two old ones Home, you know how at the end, and White Christmas. I love both of those movies. You know, my father used to sit down and watch old movies with me and you know he got me looked on it. So it's the same kind of thing where you know which one's better. I don't know. I don't think they're better.
Speaker 3: Remember her, like I thought when she was in that movie that was a big Oh she's part of the whole se TV crew you know from Canada.
Speaker 2: I mean Candy John Candy crew.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, she's she's creaked. I thought like her. I thought she would be like am. I thought you would be in like a series of big box office situation, you know, comedies down the road.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I thought she was gonna be like a Goldie Han type. But I never I don't remember her after that.
Speaker 4: Well, she worked a lot, and you look at her IMDb, but I think you know, the projects he chose just didn't take off, like Home Alone.
Speaker 3: Well, the thing about Home Alone is it really she's very good in it CTV. I mean, that's that's Home Alone for her must have been a walk in the park.
Speaker 4: Well look how far down the list you go, and look, she's great in it. But even Jacks and Candy, who's just gitting a tiny bit of it.
Speaker 2: I forgot about that. Yeah, Oh, we got to talk about that now. He did that as a favor, right for yous.
Speaker 4: He got paid less than the pizza delivery boy. Yes, and he had to shoot it in one day because he was filming something else, and most of it was improvs. He made up those things. You know, did you ever leave your child home alone?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: We left them at the funeral home one time, you know, right there with the courts. I mean, it seemed just kills me every time I watch it. He made that up on the right there, that's it's just a funny human being.
Speaker 2: What was the name of the It was the Poka Band.
Speaker 4: The Poka band. Yeah, Pok Pok Poka. We sild about that another great.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm gonna go. We got more to do with Drew here, but let's just grab that in Florida. Who wants to chime in? Matt, you got a holiday movie we should talk about?
Speaker 6: Well, I just had to can test what you said. Gary, Holoo Too is probably like up there with The Godfather to in terms of sequels, I don't know how you don't like that movie. Really, that's a solid sequel.
Speaker 3: I mean, I Godfather too, dude, that's I mean, Matt Man, I trust you. I take your word at me, but I mean god Father too. That's high praise.
Speaker 6: Well in terms of sequels, I mean that's in the top five, I think. Okay, And I got our question for you, guess in terms of drawn Hughes, is it true Ferris Bueler was supposed to be like a serious movie and then they screened it for people and no one got it. Everyone hated it. And then you know, like you can kind of see that in a few scenes where he's talking with Ferris is talking about life, and you know, those scenes are actually pretty serious if you look at it. But I guess the studio made him turn it into a comedy. But that was my only question. Thanks Chris.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it, man, I appreciate that a fluid.
Speaker 4: It wouldn't surprise me. I don't know that well enough, but I mean, if it's true, just look what he did. He took something that was serious and made it, you know, an iconic comedy. So look, he's just a great writer. It wouldn't surprise me. I'm going to look it up afterwards because I want to know. If that's the case, that's that's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: All right, well you can do it. The break, we have to take a break. Guoriano's here.
Speaker 3: We want to talk about his other five top other seven top movies, and also he will answer the question is Diehard a Christmas movie?
Speaker 2: Is it a holiday movie? That's next to WBZ?
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on' WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, Gary Tank. We for Dan tonight.
Speaker 3: Greoriano is our guest screenwriter, professor, author, talking about holiday movies. As we just talked about two of the best home alone and planes, trains and automobiles. Drue, did you look up the Beaudler thing? Because I have something on my phone. D Yeah, what do you got?
Speaker 2: I did?
Speaker 4: I didn't see anything about it. He wrote the script in a week, which again doesn't surprise me. With John Hughes, he just wanted to, you know, have a guy like this. And there was somebody I guess in his childhood and somebody went to school with who had like twenty seven you know, absences from school. It was the constant truant. But he wanted but he wanted a guy who just listened, in complete control. And you know, it's again another iconic film. I don't know if there's much as much heart and Ferris Bueller is in the others. It's a funny film and very good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and also again, if you want to believe the web, it says you was originally wanted Johnny DApp and Anthony Michael Hall turned it down.
Speaker 4: Oh, he wanted a bunch of people, Cloney, I guess wanted it. A bunch of people wanted to play the part.
Speaker 2: I guess. But well he got the right one. I mean, that's for sure.
Speaker 4: Yes he did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, here we go, Drew. Here's the question.
Speaker 3: Is Diehard a holiday movie?
Speaker 4: You know this from knowing me for years and years and years that Diehart is my favorite action movie of all time. It's just tremendous and it takes place during the holidays, so I guess technically you can say it's a holiday film, but I don't think it is. They played the Christmas music at the end, you know, when our guys driving away were you know, John McLean in the back seat with his wife. But it's not. It's not a Christmas movie. It takes place at Christmas. It's like there's an old movie The Apartment, great movie Jacqueline just that takes place over Christmas, and I don't think of it as a Christmas movie. You can watch it in July, and that kind of distinguishes it because I think a true Christmas movie, you're not watching it in July. But you can watch certainly watch Dieheard any time, you don't just watch it at Christmas. So that's how I did find it. Christmas movie definition.
Speaker 3: Run with a kid. Well is Alan Rickman the greatest villain ever? Because I think he is.
Speaker 4: Ever ever, absolutely, and I mean he he had just finished doing Shakespeare in the Park before he's filmed that. I mean, that's the kind of actor. He is, and that's what made it so great.
Speaker 3: And of course Harry Potter, I mean, you know, yes, yeah, I mean what a body he was.
Speaker 4: He was so well written, well written in Diehard, such a full character. I mean he was, he was terrific.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It wasn't just a typical batty. There was a lot of depth there. Okay, what do you have for your the list threw what else should we be watching if we need a reminder of what great holiday movies are out there?
Speaker 4: Okay, we've covered planes, trains, I mentioned Holiday in White Christmas come alone. Uh, it's a wonderful life. You got to watch. It's, you know, a top ten film of all time. I usually watch it every Christmas. Another great story. I grew up in upstate New York in a town called Little Falls. And there's three falls, you know, state New York that all think there's a place where Frank Capra sat. It's one of the life Seneca Falls, Guns Falls and Little Falls, Little Falls lesser. But we had a bridge just like that bridge.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 4: It's rumored that he had traveled around up Staton Ark and gone to all these places and just the pieces of it. But anyway, that's you know, neither here or there.
Speaker 2: How come a remake? Hop quickly? I know you want to roll about how come there's never been a remake of that?
Speaker 4: Because they shouldn't. You know, there's certain ones that are untouchable. But you know, they were thinking of doing a remake of playing Trains of Automobiles with Will Smith by the way, it which would be a travesty. So you know, I think it's the one that's a life would be a travesty.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but they do it all the time. I'm just surprised they haven't tried anyways.
Speaker 4: Continue well, of course, just for Will Ferrell, because he's just hysterical. I never liked the third acting else but I love the film anyway, and it's just funny because it's funny. There's lines in there that people quote all the time. And you know, you sit in a thronal eyes. I mean, you smell like beef and cheese. I don't put on all of them that's saying. I know him. I mean, he's just a funny guy that's making that movie.
Speaker 2: And I mean he just when he says, well, I know it's everything straight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Oh no, he's he's nominal in it. Yeah. The guy who wrote that, David Barbaum. He wrote a few other movies that no one ever went to see. Nothing against him because I know that. But he you know, else is on. It is going to be on every night from now until New Year's. You can't go to your guide on your cable and not see else somewhere going because it's on.
Speaker 2: It's number one for me, help you, it's what my number.
Speaker 4: One is that that's great. Well, he's just so good at it. And you know, I like Miracle on thirty fourth Street, the nineteen ninety four version, which was written by John Hughes, which I think is better than the original, which was actually nonate for Best Picture back in nineteen you know, forty seven, I think it was. But I liked to remake a lot, and you know, John Hughes wrote it. I thought he did a hell of a job. There's hard at the end of that one. So I usually watched that one too. My wife loves it, so we usually watched that one as well.
Speaker 2: I just in elve.
Speaker 3: I love the fact that Bob Newhart's in the beginning and Ed ed As is in the end.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: You know, he's thinking the Central Park Rangers.
Speaker 4: And James Kahan talk about taking somebody here out of character, right, he's jeez, you know, Godfather getting shut up on the Long Island Expressway and he's so he's father.
Speaker 2: Did you see where? He said?
Speaker 3: When they were filming it, and and Farrell said this when they were filming it, Jimmy Conn was pissed a him. He thought he was terrible. He said, this isn't working, is terrible. And then when he saw the actual movie put together, he went up to Farrell after and he said it was genius. But like he told him, like Jimmy Conn was telling Will Ferrell, you suck. This is awful, and you know, and then it kind of fit the character, yeah, perfectly.
Speaker 4: You know those are mine. I mean, you do down a list of other Christmas movies, Santa Claw, Polar Bad, saying, you know the great is still Christmas, the Holiday. There's a Christmas movie I like.
Speaker 2: That one in the Holiday, you know, And as I have.
Speaker 4: Actually a very good film.
Speaker 6: It is Christmas movie, yep.
Speaker 2: And as we've got about forty seconds to go here, Drew.
Speaker 3: And the one thing I will say about Daddy's Home too, the only part I really like about it is when the three old men argue about the thermostats.
Speaker 4: That's great. Well, we all do that.
Speaker 2: We all do that.
Speaker 3: Hey, listen, Happy Thanksgiving. I'll talk to you again. Best is in the family. Thanks for coming on. I really appreciate you. Are great.
Speaker 4: Well, I loved it. Thanks all right, I'll talk to him Thanksgiving. Everyone.
Speaker 3: Happy Thanksgiving. There you go, Dreiano one of the great ones. He's also get some great books out if you're looking for a great book. The Smart One Michael Vogel is a terrific book if you're a screenwriter.
Speaker 2: The Third Act.
Speaker 3: Will Smith, I mean he consulted with both Smith on it. Will Smith, that's his bible, So check that out. Hey, listen, we got more entertainment stuff coming up. I'm going to talk to him. Friend for the WSM agency. Emily Kennedy joins us on the future of showbiz next on WBZ.