Speaker 1: We are doing it. It is the twenty twenty four Christmas Special of four Finger Discount. I am Dando and I am Guy. Ho ho ho, Merry Christmas everyone. I only said that walking into daycare today. She just add a notice goes, oh ho ho, Merry Christmas. Everyone's like, damn late, what a lady, what a little late? Christmas spirits everywhere it is.
Speaker 2: Indeed, we are recording this on Friday the twentieth.
Speaker 1: The twentieth. Let's let's pull the curtain right back rashly going to record the intro of this show, this ship, this Christmas Special is gonna be breaken up into various segments. So Nicko's gonna make an appearance at some point. The lovely Louise is finally gonna make an appearance on the show.
Speaker 2: Very remotely and very briefly, but yes she exists, not just my Canadian girlfriend.
Speaker 1: Exactly right, So she's gonna be on the show. Holy and now they gonna make an appearance, Mitch, She's going to make an appearance at some point. What just all just breaking it all up, So it's just a segments. Second, Oh, it's gonna be a real the Best Christias Special we've ever done.
Speaker 2: It's going to be a real uh Santa Smaugas board.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yes. Now what we're doing though, is we're just gonna be recording the intro for this because our dear friend, the Leonard Moulton is on his way back from a very important dinner. It isn't it?
Speaker 2: Should we start calling him Leonard the Moulton, Meghan the Stallion.
Speaker 1: We can ask him. We're gonna ask you at which point I think we should. I think we should see other people. Yes, but that's we're gonna be talking about about a boy today. For the We Are the Guy podcast, Yes, for the.
Speaker 2: Movie Guide with Moulton and Davis Vivin.
Speaker 1: Chip that makes sure you do. So it's great. It's the number one film podcasts in the country.
Speaker 2: And also, as complimented by a friend of mine on Twitter akaax the other night, he said, thanks mate, loving the podcast.
Speaker 1: Oh cool. Nice. We just get genuine feedback like that.
Speaker 3: It really is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people are actually listening to this. But this Christmas special, a few things are going to be doing. So we're going to be doing a gift exchange as we always do. We're going to be talking about underrated Christmas specials or TV episodes. I thought of something different we've never done before. So I'm going to be picking two TV show episodes that I want to talk about. I'll be picking one movie. One movie. Okay, a movie, all right, yes, okay. I was going more for the Christmas Special. I know you were as a TV movie. No, oh, but you can watch it on your TV. That's usually where we watch them, that's the phone. Yeah. And we're also going to be doing some male Bay questions and just having a whole lot of fun. But Christmas twenty twenty four, what are your plans? What are you looking forward to? What are you doing for this year? What are we doing?
Speaker 2: I will be having a very nice Christmas lunch with Louise's family.
Speaker 1: I think I may ask you this, Yeah you have, yeah, so.
Speaker 2: But let me reiterate, just in case people are just listening to Christmas Special and nothing else. Having a very nice Christmas lunch with the Luis's family on Sunday the twenty second. Yep, food and drink and good chat and everyone looking at their clock saying can we leave now? No, No, it won't be like that'll be fantastic. So I'm really looking forward to that.
Speaker 1: There'll be a few.
Speaker 2: Days in between, and then on Christmas Day, Lou and I will head down to bar and Heads, where if everything goes according to plan, which sometimes it doesn't, we will be spending Christmas Day at the house of my big sister Joanne. Everyone will bring a plate by myself and making the mac and cheese that was a big hit.
Speaker 1: Don't over this time.
Speaker 2: I didn't slip over the last time, but it came very, very close. But that's because it started like raining a monsoon on Christmas Day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been really wark, so I've got plenty of Christmas ugly sweaters and normally people go it's warm and a shoga, yeah, but it's usually overcast enough to be able to wor a jumper. It's been hot. It has been. We had like a really stinking hot day. Going to be thirty six today. I heard it was going to be like thirty one, but now it's gonna be thirty thirty six. Let's wrap this up. A guy rocks up on a long sleeve shirt. Though, what are you doing, buddy, Well, you know we're doing the Christmas special, we're doing doing the movie guide. You always just as up for the movie guide. I want to look nice splended, So that was me doing coust blinded.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that'll be that, and that there will just be a lot of lazing on the couch and so yeah, that's that's what we're planning.
Speaker 1: How about you. Yeah, Well, the kids, they seem to be getting up early and earlier each Christmas. I feel they're gonna be up at like six this year. Because my parents go, what are we doing for Christmas Morning? I said, what the hell? I cart just fell off the wall. I thought the bird flying. I was like, what the hell? I thought it was the biggest moth I've ever seen, like roof's leaking, muster flying around Christmas mirror rebuilding the ship. But so my parents go, so we times Christmas morning? I said, like, kids probably get up like six six thirty. They said, I'd make them wait till like seven seven thirty. I'm like, kids ain't gonna be waiting. If you want to see them opening presents, you get here.
Speaker 2: Then making small children wait on Christmas morning? It was an ebony Scrooge and who's missus degle Degal?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is it? Bomb? Her theme's awesome, but it's going to be a very early Christmas morning. I think here, kid's going to go crazy. We've got alliott cricket bat like a wooden cricket bat, a pop a cricket bat, a cricket helmet is a theme here, cricket pants, cricket test shirt, cricket balls. It's clearly into swimming from the big Lebaska. Clearly you're not a golfer. And Holly has just got her various barbie things and makeups. Yeah, we've got a new bike, her first proper bike for training wheels. Yeah, so that's that's exciting. She's like, well, she doesn't She kept saying short a bike til Sands and she's like, I didn't bring me one. I've been I'm on the bad list. I was like, why are the badge goes? I don't go to bed early. Like, well, there's one way to fix that. Holly go to bed early and go to sleep because she is a nightmare at bedtime. So, because we've got the double bed night out now, So we ask Eliot. He says she's a nightmare because they sleep in the same double bed now, because we've got a bunk bed double bed down the bottom. And ever since then, Holly. She just pesters him and she can't go to sleep and she kicks him. And so wait, she got the lower they're both on the bottom.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yeah, but was it originally designed to be like someone's up top, someone's down there?
Speaker 1: Not until Ali. It's a bit older because he sometimes sits up in his sleep and he's sort of he's awake, but he's not awake. You don't want to crack the ceiling or exactly yeah, yeah, or fourth the edge.
Speaker 2: I suppose that's also also potentially a problem. One of these people does not have children.
Speaker 1: Speaking of cricket, though, it took Ali to the cricket last night in Geelong why to torturing. Oh, that's right. He likes cricket, So I'm like everybody else, and I feel like even someone who doesn't like cricket would enjoy the Big Bash live. That's because it's quick. It's quick, so it's twenty overs. It's called Big Bash because you have to just bash it. So every boll that's trying to hit a six and a four, if you if you.
Speaker 2: Want to get runs, yeah, you better bash it. Bash it, yeah, and you better bash it. You most bashed Big Lee big ly bashing.
Speaker 1: Bash to the big No, no, we won't talk about political stuff, okay, but so like every time they hit a four or six, fireworks are going off and there's flames and shiit. That sounds a little busy, but but sounds also like fun. It's youngsters, it's insane. It's really good though.
Speaker 2: See I'm old enough to remember back in the nineteen ship and when One Day Cricket was introduced and World Series Cricket and all that, even with someone like me who was not interested, like, oh so it's it's quick, it's one and done.
Speaker 1: And they're wearing colors and they were it's colorful.
Speaker 2: I can actually tell which team is which, as opposed to it's just a bunch of white suits.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Days, I'm not making players five days in events? What's going I'm going to make a meme with someone talking about a Test match, but it's home as five dollars, get out of here. You're very good at the memes. You did a very good raygun meme last night. Was I reshare? Someone said that to me, Yeah, no worry, bet, but it was good.
Speaker 2: It was a good one. It was a good one. And well I'm glad Elliott had a good time at the Big Back.
Speaker 1: He'd loved it. He got to meet his favorite player before the game and started. He was walking around and I said, his name is Jake Fraser McGirk is his favorite. He's he's my favorite player based on that name. So he's twenty one and you see it was cricket now, right, So I know you don't care about cricket. But India had this their version of the BBO called the IPL right, and its essentially lift golf. So they get the best players around the word, paying a shipload of money and they all they have it there, right, So he this phrase McGirk twenty one years old. He's contract for the next I think it's like a two month tournament one point two six million dollars. So Jake Fraser McGirk said, bag, yeah, I know right. So and you know why because he just bashes it. That's Ali goes he's good. Said why why is he your favorite? He just bashes it. I'm like, that's all kids want now, just bash it, just bash it. That none of this you know, black Eye playing only understands his rules, Like I'd rather see people pit sixers. Oh yeah, no.
Speaker 2: You can play the long game, but sometimes you just want to grip it and rip it man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. Yeah, Hey, well done.
Speaker 2: Jake Fraser mcgurg and well done Elliot for having a good time at the cricket. Well done you for taking him to the cricket.
Speaker 1: Yeah, God to meet his favorite player. Sign I said, make sure I say thank you so thinking he goes good Man is buddy, great work. And Ali's like, oh god, he spoke to me. It's important news. Good matter's because so many kids just go to sign this. Oh yeah, how many?
Speaker 2: I as everyone knows, not a parrot, but I've had influence over certain children in my life.
Speaker 1: It's got me in trouble. No, no, no.
Speaker 2: The one thing I've always told any person I can be a role model to basic manners. It will get you ahead of ninety percent of people in life.
Speaker 1: It does, and it costs nothing.
Speaker 2: It costs nothing, and it shows that you are a person of character. And I'm sorry, I know, I know, I sound like I'm handing out word as candies today.
Speaker 1: I don't know. No, No, it's a legit likely so many friends who have kids and they just don't have manners. And now friends don't pull them up for it, and I always sometimes feel sometimes I sometimes feel I should say that Nicko and I maybe were a bit too harsh because every time they want something, we go, what do you say? Please? Thank you? Always constantly reminding them right. But then when we go to someone's house and they go, can I please have a drink? They go what lovely manners? It's like they're blown away. Oh my god, this child said please. Now, this is basic programming, this is this is the core os. Yeah you So yesterday Aliot had his Christmas celebration at school and they're handing out bags of lollies and Ali goes, thank you. He was the only one said thank you, and she goes, you can have two because you used your manners. I was like, holy shit, I've broken the matrix.
Speaker 2: Manners are of course their own reward, yeah, but sometimes you get an actual reward.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It was quite funny because they go there's a special guest coming later, and everyone's like, oh my god, it's Santa Claus, right, And they said Santa Claus is going to make an appearance, and Santa this comings ound is coming. It was just one of the teachers didn't even put a bed on. Everyone's like, ah, there's just this guy didn't put a bed on it. And I get he has a bed, but it's like it's more like a hipster brown stubble beard. It's not a bid Santa Beard. And everyone just went it's not the real Santa. Look.
Speaker 2: I say, with all due respect to this teacher and this this stuff, because teaching is a tough gig. Yeah, you're sucking up.
Speaker 1: I said, I said to it. I was sort of baffled by it. I went to Nicola. Maybe it's because because I think he seems like the cool teacher. I think he wanted everyone to know it's me. Guys, it's the it's the cool guy, you know they want everyone loves it's me being sand I think that's what it was going for.
Speaker 2: Well, guess what if you're that cool, they'll be able to see it's you through the Santa suit and play along.
Speaker 1: Put the Santa suit on. Yeah, hear the Santa suit on? But no bed. I went, eh, yeah, not buying it, guy, not buying it. No, But Leonard's going to be very here, very very soon. That's correct. Yeah, we're just riff it. We're kind of vamping because this is going to be the longestchrist Special of all time, but it's gonna be the best one. As I said, You're not gonna be doing the longest part. I'm go doing parts of other people and they're going to combine all together like a fantastic Christmas specially that's correct.
Speaker 2: Yes, as mentioned, Yeah, our significant others are going to be there.
Speaker 1: I'm dropping this on Christmas Eve. So what do you reckon? You're doing right now? What am I doing right now? It's gonna be I am either curl.
Speaker 2: Them on the couch with the lovely Luise watching something ninety day related, or I'm at my place giving Lou and the kids a bit of space before we all.
Speaker 1: Convene on Christmas morning. So look, it's an either or proposition. We're having a unique Christmas Eve because tell me more, what my mom's side of the family know, you have families just have sort of like tension and riffs sometimes and whatnot right and sometimes for many years, my mum and various siblings of hers just note that they didn't like it, but they just didn't hang out anymore, Like something happened terrible for you many years ago, and it just sort of the family just wasn't the same afterwards, and that this year we're going to my auntie, my auntie Nancy's house for Christmas Eve, and I went, oh, okay, we're doing that. Mum's like, yeah, Nancy's inviters to go. It's just gonna be asking Nancy. And I was like, oh, like we used to do. Okay, cool, I won't ask any questions. But it's a low key Christmas miracle. Yeah. I was just like, ah, it's a time of years, like are they hanging spending time? Okay?
Speaker 2: Cool, It's it's the time of year for all reunions and all that kind of stuff. I mean, you know, we're living in an increasingly cynical age and all that kind of stuff. So it's nice that and even Christmas gets kind of a little bit okay yeah a ho ho home blah blah blah. But honestly, yeah, I mean it is the kind of year. It is the time of year when you get a bit of shorthands.
Speaker 1: Like maybe we should be a bit nicer to each other, and yeah, why aren't we talking? Why are we talking?
Speaker 2: You know, it was like I was gonna say something, I bring the moved down. I'm not gonna do it, but yeah, this time of year. Yeah, it's just a It gives you an excuse to the ones you love hold them a little closer.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, we're going to be doing gift giving in the next segment here on the Christmas Special, But before then, we're going to hear from the very first time the lovely Louise she exists. Yeah, she wasn't gonna be on the show live listeners. I actually haven't listened to the message yet, so I don't know what her voice. I'm gonna be hearing her voice for the first time, as you hear for the first time. I've never met her. I've never heard a voice. This is going to be something special.
Speaker 2: She's shack no, no, no, it was just you know, the it's noting. Timing hasn't worked out, But I don't know why it hasn't done. But I mean, I've met.
Speaker 1: I've met her. I'm not.
Speaker 2: She's great. I'm sure I've said to you on occasion. I'm sure I've said to lou on occasion. Yeah, the four of us, should you know, just go grab a steak.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, and not at our regular favorite steakhouse anymore. Not anymore.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, if there's been a theme of this is being critic well, if there's been a recurring issue in our twenty twenty four episodes, it's that the old steakhouses ain't what it.
Speaker 1: Used pants at the ankles, that's to make some monile to fort the steaks. Man, it's just a bensive now. Well, yeah, but I've become grandpa. Things cost more than they used to. Oh. Absolutely, I can't afford eggs anymore. Let's get into the Louise, shall we? Oh, you get a legitimate bulldog. Yes, let's hear for the very first time, the Lovely Louise. And we'll be back with our gift gicking gift and we'll be back with our gift giging to give gifts.
Speaker 4: God, I'm tired, I yeah, alieh.
Speaker 1: All right, guys, So what movie did we just go and see?
Speaker 4: Sonic threeout the movies? Sonic cleat the movies.
Speaker 1: And we went to a special preview screening because it comes out in one week. Well, when people's listen to this, it comes out in a couple of days in boxing day. But we listened to it. We watched it early, didn't we? And who is the new Sonic in the movie see I Holly can tell us who's the Who's Who's the Black Sonic? Holly shut out Shadow to scream. Alliot is very excited. Now, what did you guys eat at the movies?
Speaker 4: Lollies, popcorn and PEPSI?
Speaker 1: Yes, would you have Holly the same? Yeah, you had the same, But Holly, we also had some M and MS two, didn't we?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Ob yeah, now yes, yeah, Now you guys, do you guys want to start your own podcast? Do you reckon?
Speaker 4: Yes? Please? Yes?
Speaker 1: Please please? That sounds like fun. I reckon You guys might start your own podcast next year. That sounds pretty good. The Holly and Elliott Show? What do you Reckon?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Sure is?
Speaker 4: What about nerd Alien? Holy?
Speaker 1: No doubt like nerd Daddy Nod, Elliot Nord Holly. Now, what do you guys want for Christmas? Holly?
Speaker 4: You go first, Barbie doll and a Barbie telephone.
Speaker 1: Barbie telephone and Barbie doll. What about you? What do you want for Christmas?
Speaker 4: Jurassic Park toys. I'm the new Spinosaurus. I'm the new t Rex.
Speaker 1: Too, And what about what about cricket stuff?
Speaker 4: I watch cricket, baton ball.
Speaker 1: Cricket bat and balls at all the cricket stuff you need, need anything else? Wickets, wickets, You got wickets, you bowl them out all the time. What about you, Holly? So you want your Barbie phone, Barbie dolls.
Speaker 4: Woo.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't that be pretty cool? Wouldn't it? Holy? Anything else you'd like for Christmas? I think I don't know, you don't know. Maybe get a surprise on Christmas morning when you get some new stuff. That'd be cool.
Speaker 4: Now and Christmas manth sent comes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Easter Easter in a few months.
Speaker 4: Maybe I'll get my own computer.
Speaker 1: You're not getting your own computer?
Speaker 4: How dare you? How dare you?
Speaker 1: Why would you get your own computer? You're only six? You don't getting your own computer. But you guys know how to do I know you do it. Not saying you can't do it, but you don't need a computer just yet. So what were you guys just watching on the projector in your bedroom?
Speaker 4: This Spidey Team Spidy Team Spidy Team Spidy.
Speaker 1: That's right, Holly, So who is your favorite of all the Spidy characters? Holly, who's your favorite Spiky Go Spidy? What about you? Elliott Electro Electro. You like the bad person. You are like the bad guys too. I think my favorite is like Zola.
Speaker 4: Oh yeall electron Zola?
Speaker 1: Yeah? What about do you do you like Rhino? Holly? Yeah, yeah, it's pretty cool we do?
Speaker 4: And Why No and Go Spider.
Speaker 1: Yeah they're all very cool, aren't they?
Speaker 4: All?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: So what do we do? Recently we went to Melbourne and we stayed at the hotel. Now, Holly, which movie did we go and see?
Speaker 4: Home Alone?
Speaker 1: That's right? Home Alone. It was so cool because we have to watch everyone play the music on stage. We saw violins and harps and drums and pianos and there was a choir singing certain parts. It's pretty cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah it was. It was funny keyboards. It was so funny and exciting.
Speaker 1: It was. Yeah, it sure was. What do you got to it? You guys can do your own podcasts. What are you going to talk about for your podcast? What are gonna talk about? Holly? What do you want to talk about for your podcast? That's a good idea. What about you? Earlier? I think it's hilarious, don't the Poop Poop Show? So this morning I did a small poo and then I had lunch and did a big one and then I said, Daddy, I need you to wipe my bomb because I'm too lazy to wipe the pooh off my bomb. All right, well I think we better. I think we might wrap that up there. Guys, Ali, it's trying to tick him. He's all be excited.
Speaker 4: Kids shows.
Speaker 1: We're gonna do kids shows. So next year, I reckon, we'll launch the Holly In Alliott Show. And we're talking about poos and cricket and everything. Now pombs, now, Jenny pumb But do you want to hinker on the microphone? Big kisses for Elliott. I'm big cuddles too. He loves his brother, so Willie. Willie's rare wee weie. So your podcast is going to be about wee weez and poo? Is that right? Oh my goodness. If you're a fan of everything we do here at fourth Finger Discount, but you're tired of hearing these pesky ads, then you'll absolutely love being a member of the fourth Finger Discount family on Patreon, where you not only get access to over one hundred hours of bonus podcasts, but you also get access to this show early and add free every single week, as well as access to our exclusive Facebook and Discord communities, and so much more. So go ahead join the family today and support your palas Guy and Dano for as little as one dollar per month at patreon dot com slash fourth Finger Discount.
Speaker 6: Hi everyone, this is Lou. I just wanted to wish the four Finger family Merry Christmas and a happy New Year for twenty twenty five, and sincerely thank Dando for keeping Guy off the streets. Now let's finish recordings so we can go and watch some ninety day fiance.
Speaker 1: Wasn't that lovely? Those dolcent tone keeping you out of the gutter. That's right, keep me keep me off the street there. No, I'm very glad that. I mean, look, she's always been a member of the four Finger Discount family, but it's nice to make it official. Yes, she's officially and one day we'll have her on a show because she'll see the amazing responses had and we need to do listeners. If you want more love of Luise, need to comment in the Patreon groups of dark and show love of Luiz. Have I never shared I'm sure I've shared pictures or are you not?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 1: Really, because up to this point she was imaginary, okay on your personal one. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Facebook's not good for many things these days, but occasionally does precious memories. And it was, and it was a few days ago.
Speaker 1: Twenty nineteen when that photo was yeah, yeah, very well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, our first overseas holiday together when we went to Bali. There's a lovely picture of us on the on the beach at Sonua.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I will actually, well i'll.
Speaker 2: Get loose permission, but I will share it with all of you in certainly the patrons.
Speaker 1: Is that the time where you made it walk in the rain or is that the time after I didn't make it walk in the rain. I'm not a monster. You suggested, we're not getting the cabs. It's three dollars three bucks, and hands were made it a way forget it. We walked, we're walking. Yeah, we've never forgotten. No.
Speaker 2: I think it speaks buyings about how smooth a ride our relationship has been.
Speaker 1: That.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the things that causes a little bit of adjuta were like, ah, it made me run in the rain to get back to our hotel. Admittedly it was really heavy rain and we did get really really so, so I can't understand why she'd be a bit pissed off.
Speaker 1: You go home and everybody was all slippery. I was like, all right, well now what yes, no, but that that was our first obously holiday together. It is I like, do you have do you guys have like a signature photograph of yourself or it is like a photo of like not this is us at our best, but this is us Nicola loves she loves having a photo of us doing a toast with our drinks, with our anniversary dinners. Ah and go way to the food comes out and then do the photo. Oh and it's one that you repeat regularly, Nicholas. That's what we always do. It's not like we deliberately do it. But I've realized. I went because we made hard drives for Nicholas, because Nicola posted a big box over to England for Christmas this year. I made a hard drive of basically every photo from the kids onwards. It's like all and from all their phones. W. I was like, every anniversary, literally do that the same photo with it. I was like, along with that, it's just subconscious to become a thing. It's a tradition. Yeah, and tradition is not necessarily Sunday night Rol absolute legend, but also love Louise, absolute legend. It was honestly, it was just it was a weird bok. I was like, this is the first one I'm hearing her speak.
Speaker 2: Well, there you go, you have and now we're as well. So that's her gift to all of you, exactly right.
Speaker 1: So speaking of gift, it's gift gigging time. I just couldn't say gift giving. There we go, there you go. You nailed it. Now, you'll never get it wrong again. All right, I give you give you yours first from me. I didn't wrap it up because you know, shananigans just want to get in the kids to school. It was just too busy and I just forgot. I apologize. I'm not going to talk about all the shanannigans that happened this morning because oh bully, oh boy. But it's wrapped up in a Christmas jumper. Okay, well you can have the jumper. Is this feels solid? It's half of the mass. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: The what we've got here, folks, is the Ultimate visual History of Die Hard, with a foreword by John McK timm and the director of the film, and it's got Bruce looking very guy Davis on the front of it.
Speaker 1: Fantastic, man, what a gift. This is awesome, splendid to get that from the States. Oh my god, I was brought over from the States. Remember I said, my friend was coming over from America. You got something for you? This was it. I'm going to read a little bit of the back blurb to you. Thirty years after the release.
Speaker 2: Of the groundbreaking action classic Diehard, The Ultimate Visual History takes an in depth look at the entire die Hard saga, from the original movies.
Speaker 1: To the hit sequels. There are only two sequels, and we don't talk about for.
Speaker 2: Actually I have Die Had four point oh akaa, Live Free or Diehard Free?
Speaker 1: Not that bad? A good day of Diehard sucks ass? Really okay, terrible movie?
Speaker 5: Was it?
Speaker 1: Always that seems to be the third ones just no good? But the face like they make the third and the fourth one always it's like, it's not so bad. Toy Story three was great. Diehard with a Vengeance fantastic? Okay, So is there five? Yeah? There's five?
Speaker 2: Oh, didn't die Hard? Die had to Colin die Hard? Yeah, die Had with a Vengeance?
Speaker 1: That's Wroe. Samuel L. Jackson, Live Free or die Hard, Okay, I die hard four point oh and then A Good Day to die Hard. I feel like die Hard too should have been called just die Harder. That's what I thought, because you know, like they do the Bad Boys sequels and they just caught bad boys whatever. It's like, well the ones bad Boys too, that was they was just called bad boys too. It wasn't bad boys to something. It's just just die Harder. We know what it would be. Yeah, that's right. Yeah, and then number three we die Hardest. Sorry I didn't fish from the original movie to the hit sequels and other extensions of Hero John McLain's story. I love these visual history because I've got like eighteen Dressy park Like, they're fucking unbelievable. I'm looking at him right now. And now I've got this one from my bed, Thanks a bunch man. That's marvelous. Ah, Christmas to you and to me speaking which, by the way, funny story of that book. So I said to my mate, won't getting his book from my friend bringing it over to Australia for Christmas? Save me on the ship. He goes, yes, sure, no worries. It arrives and he goes in time it was ten fucking ki Wait, it's a big book. So thank you to that man or that person. Yes made here's a gift, satchel, Open up, satchel. First, I watched it and tell what it is based on where it's from. I can't even see where it's from. Oh the big right, it says Red Bubble. I was looking. I was looking on here, so now I hope yes, if you want to guys addressed by the way, it is forty seven. Oh what have we got T shirt? Now? I hope.
Speaker 2: I hope this is all right in size wise, I thought this might be right. Okay, if not, then will work something medium?
Speaker 1: Large fits me? Fine? Okay, well this one's larger, that'd be fine. Angels were filthy souls. Holy shit, that is awesome. I wish I had this on my home alone night that I went to I don't care. This is great. I'm going to wear this today. Thank you, sir. And now I know the Red Bubble actually does quality shirts. I wat I spice some more. I'm actually impressed with this Red Bubble do Okay. I didn't realize I thought Red Bubble just looks like Timu or whatever it's called.
Speaker 2: I'm no, I bought a couple of No no, no, no, no, I bought a couple of It's about the name is Ralph Foodie as Johnny and Michael Guido as Snakes, directed by John Hughes.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. Ralph food is actually the actor who plays Yeah, yeah, man.
Speaker 2: Hey, you're very welcome. Merry Christmas to you. Hope, yeah, I hope it fits fine. It's got that.
Speaker 1: Fresh just out of the Better Watch Better straight from China. No, no, I'm not gonna say that if this was an episode of House we was an episode where all these kids started getting sick, and it's because they had bought shirts or something and put the shirts on they brought from China, Like you didn't wash him first from China? Did I tell you about the thing that I saw the other day?
Speaker 2: It was like a TikTok video of a Chinese guy like in a in a warehouse or a factory or something, speaking Spanish but in a trump accent, wearing a Trump wig.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I think I think his business sells like the like big illuminated letters that you put on your wall or something. Okay, and look it was he was speaking flawless Spanish I'll see if I can find it for you.
Speaker 1: But he's doing the trump gest and hands, isn't it. But you're doing the little hands you go geanautin geinatte. That sounds great. I don't think I'm gonna et other because that's that's here say. But it was just he has nailed and I said, look, if this is the end product of globalization, let it happen. Hand open all the borders. Sometimes you watch things and you just think to yourself, this is what the Internet was made for. Oh yeah, I said to you. The face apps, the filters that make your face change or whatnot. Have you seen the moment makes you cry? No, it makes you look like you're crying. Oh my god. Ah, I'll show you a video of this, but i'll show later. But basically it's it's a filter and the more you smile, the more it makes it look like you're upset and crying. Oh. No, face filters for like that. That's peak technology to me. I'll feel a cardio too. I'll open up the said card Oh look, there's not much in that. It says Merry Christmas to Dano, wishing you Merry Christmas and all the best for twenty twenty five. Cheers guy, next man, I didn't get you a card. I'm one of those people who go, I'd rather spend extra money on the present than bother with a card. You know what I mean? Oh, Nicholas, all about cards. I like getting cards, but I always just go no.
Speaker 2: I think I've reached that stage as well, or where I recognize the like, look, the cards are nice, little it's garnish.
Speaker 1: Nicolaie keeps all the cards. She's got a box in our wardrobe. I'm talking it's just full of every Christmas card. She just keeps more good for her, she says when she goes, aren't you glad that I've got kept all the cards you got from your name? And I was like, you do make a good point.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no, she's she's not done me that late. But yeah, I think I've realized the people are going to go, hey, that's nice, thank you very much, and then throw it to one.
Speaker 1: So never buy a kid a card about a card.
Speaker 2: No, the only reason that lose kids are getting cards is because I'm slipping a fifty inteach of them.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: But so I just went where I got my Christmas lights at Aldi, and they also had a box of like ten cards, and I'm like, that's pretty much all I'm going to need. Yeah, anyway, but yeah, that's a fantastic gift and I really appreciate today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we did all right by each other. I remember you were saying to me, when it comes to movie shirts or whatnot, you like having things that are from a film, so for example, like a food franchise or something. But everyone's looking for clothes for you. I'm like, I would like this, but I'm always most people go, I don't want to buy a shirt for somebody in case I don't like this shirt. It's a really good point. Buying clothes for people. Oh yeah, Now, clothes is a very it's a very dicey proposition. I'm like, this isn't from Country Road, and the answer is not. But if someone brought you a themed shirt, do you think you would wear it if it was the right one, If it was the right one, certainly? I mean, is there a franchise or anything from a movie that you always wish there was a shirt of Oh.
Speaker 2: That's a really good point, because I'm gonna I'm gonna name check some people. These are not friends of the Pod, although I become friend of the pod last Exit to Nowhere. I'm sure I mentioned.
Speaker 1: This this site before. They're the sort of the first ones to really do that thing that I'm talking about where it's like I just had vibes of like a rotten dot com. That's what I thought Last Exit to know it. It sounds like, don't go here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it sounds sketchy and wrong. Yeah, but no, it's it's a legit good site. And I've got so many of the t shirts because they're good quality shirts.
Speaker 1: I think this is a good quality shirt is red one had it when you buy it and the shirts are kind of stiff. Oh yeah, yeah, you're not flexible. Yeah.
Speaker 2: One of the first shirts I bought from Last Exit was it's paper street Soap come from fight Club.
Speaker 1: I think you might have mentioned that.
Speaker 2: I probably wore it once and I think I got it when I was a little huskier. So it's a I've got a big ass one and sometimes it's like sometimes it's fits just red and sometimes like this is floating on me.
Speaker 1: It's one of those ones that you can put it on and put a jacket over the top. That's a good point at least you can see the logo still.
Speaker 2: I think when I was a little bit leaner, I was like, I really late my fake club T shirt because the shirts that I'm itchy and cool, but you know, this one's really floating on me. I'll get one that's a little you know, Lena, Little Lena a little fits my body type a bit more. But I didn't go to Last Eggs and I went to I don't think I went to Red Bubble. I think I went to some like a team who say Gina and got it and it's like, yeah, this logo is not quite right and this material is a little scratchy, and yeah, go go with what you know, man, go with the go with your yeah, the name you can trust.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I bought some shirts recently from They say they ship from California. The ship from California. There's some guy making shirts in Sydney and he hides behind the whole we' shiving from California. So due to the expensive shipping, we can't do refunds. And I'm like, return level on this postal parcels says Sydney. So we said he's back to there because these shirts are ship quality, and yeah, because the photos in you can tell when a shirt on the photo, you can tell it's like a flexible one or it was all like a sort of stiff shitty one. And it looks really loose fitting and really nice and comfortable on the picture. Of course I get it and I go, oh, it's this And the pictures like twice is half the size of what it was on the picture. In the picture, the logo design goes from top to bottom of the shirt. This is like in the middle. Ah, yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: Nah, no thanks, but yeah, my recommendation name you can dress last Eggs no where.
Speaker 1: So apparently red Bubble as well. But even red Bubble is a bit like Etsy and Bootleg, isn't it. Yeah, and it's got various creators. Yes, yes, I created this one. They did a very good, very good job. I'll take a photo of this and put it, put it in the Patreon group, and a picture of my book and put it. That's a really cool shirt because you can also wear it not at Christmas time. It's a Christmas shirt. That's also just a cool shirts in July. You could do that. People say it's Christmas in July. It's just a cool shirt. Isn't it. I think everyone I know you like home alone, and I know you're not being naked, so all right, Well, there's gift gigging for this year. I'm not going to do giggity again. That's going to be a recurring thing, the gift gigging. It's some of the gift gig Yes, So I was kind of hoping. I hope he doesn't have this die Hard book already. I do not. Now I do because I gave you that out of the book. What's book I gave you last year, last birthday? What was the moon lighting we likening one? That's right? Yeah, And I was like, he's surely got this book.
Speaker 8: Hey, four Finger Discount fans, this is editor and patron Zach Pruett, dropping in to say hello and Merry Christmas and Happy Hi Holidays and all that. From one fan to another, thank you very much for being a part of this community that has brought me so much joy over the last years. I really appreciate you and that fact, and of course I appreciate Guy and Dando, those two absolute legends, for creating this community in the space and also allowing me to be a small part of it. It means so much to me. Four Finger Discount is the podcast that inspired me to start down my own path of podcasting, so now to be a small part of it through editing, it just means so much to me, and I still can't get over that. I don't have enough time to tell you how much that means to me. But I do want to close this message with big ups and thank you in a holiday hello to Guy and Dando for everything they do bringing us all so much joy and again letting me be a very small part of it. And secondly to suggest that you all check out these podcasts.
Speaker 1: That I do.
Speaker 8: In case you're interested in some more rewatch content, check out link tree com slash Can't Disappoint podcast to see all of those podcasts. I've done a community one a the Good Place Rewatch podcasts and it broke back be about podcast It's all there. I would love for you to check it out. But most importantly, Merry Christmas, Happy holidays, and all the best in the new year.
Speaker 1: Okay everybody. Nikola has joined us for the four Finger Discount twenty twenty four Christmas special. She has done working for a week. She works two days and the next fortnight now, I've been getting lots of questions lately, Nicola on our listeners and our patrons and how many supporters here at four finger Discount. I've been asking where the hell is the One About Friends. So basically what's happened is we've recorded a couple episodes in the can, but we've decided we're going to relaunch it in the new year. Give us a couple of weeks off so we can kick off with a bang. It's always nice to have an episode up your sleeve. So at the beginning of twenty twenty five, the One About Friends have been coming to you every single week once again, Nikola, as I've already made you, guys are wear on. The podcast got promoted earlier in the year, and work's just been very busy, so we thought, rather then make nicholas life if more stressful, we'll take some time off from the podcast. But now Nichola's got on top of things, on the top of things, We're all on the top of things, kids are at school, organized, got our schedules going. So every single week it's going to be every single Wednesday being a release a new episode of the One About Friends. Here on the Forefing of Discant Network and I'm excited.
Speaker 9: My goodness, locked in inact.
Speaker 1: I found the episode we recorded with your mum in England. Oh yes, so it's been sitting there in the archive and one of the hard drives. I just couldn't find it anywhere and I found it. So that's going to be coming out as well. That's going to be an exclusive for our patreons. So if you supports on Patreon, you get the early access to our review of the one with Ross's wedding, which were recorded with Nichola's mum in the UK.
Speaker 9: I mean, did she actually contribute to the episode review?
Speaker 1: Got the review part, but she came in and spoke for a good fifteen twenty minutes at the start. It was nice.
Speaker 9: Yeah, shen have to re listen to that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Christmas time you finished work? You excited?
Speaker 9: Oh it's so good. I am excited. But obviously, like you know, we've got a list as long as i' are on for tonight for housework and getting on top of the stuff. But yeah, we've done a big shop. We like I staged it all out, like I've staggered my jobs around myself. A list for each night of the last few nights, it's like do a bit, do a bit, do a bit. So just the big, big old job of the floor floors tonight. So I am feeling so much better. I'm very pleased. I'm not gonna get my laptop out. I'm just gonna focus on what we want to do for our Christmas.
Speaker 1: Nicola gets to clean and I get to rat presents. He's been trying to clear the house down. And guess what did I do today, Nicolave? What did I do?
Speaker 9: I went shopping, like.
Speaker 1: Shopping, I already had. What's I bring home today? Yeah?
Speaker 9: Well a giant ossie beach Santa Fell.
Speaker 1: Two meter dancing Santa Claus.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's just what I needed.
Speaker 1: Kids love it. I walked in. The first she said was can I push play please?
Speaker 9: It's like when I walked into your great uncle's house the other day and he presented two life sized teddy Bears that he just found cheap at the stuff. Thought, hmm, this is where Brendan gets it from. It's all in the jeans and the blood.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 9: So really not what I needed is two extra life sized teddy Bears in my house.
Speaker 1: But the kids will what are you hopping for Christmas?
Speaker 9: What am I hoping for for Christmas?
Speaker 1: For myself? World peace?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 9: I mean, yeah, that'd be great. What am I hoping for?
Speaker 1: Well? Is this way?
Speaker 9: You get me to tell you what I want and then you go shopping tomorrow or.
Speaker 1: Try to go shopping this morning, And there was two men staying at the front, going, you can't come in here. It's full.
Speaker 9: Oh that's actually crazy, Like I can't believe it, Like I don't think I've ever seen it.
Speaker 1: Like I've seen it, say full, but I've never seen men standing at the front saying you must you shove my pass.
Speaker 9: Basically, we have gridlock in here. We've got a situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they said that some people have gone the wrong direction in here, and they can't let people get out until these people. They can't let people come in until these people find a way out. And I thought there are people trapped in the car.
Speaker 9: But you know, I've just realized your mom sent you await like what you pick the kids up super early this morning so she could go and do jobs. Firstly, did she cause it? What was she stuck in it?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: My god, image, my mum wouldn't have left until six thirty tonight because she's would have gone, oh it's op until night. I've got all day.
Speaker 9: Yeah, she hustled the kids out of the house at aam sharp but no though, to be fair, that was nice. They had the kids for us a little impromptu sleepover. We did Christmas Lights last night, although Holly made it about three houses in before she was snoring.
Speaker 1: True to form, she always falls asleep in the first ten minutes one hundred percent.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 9: Well, the thing is because you sort of you go a bit late to day, so it's Hobart caught to wait I think before we left. But then the weather was so bad, wasn't it.
Speaker 1: Well it's weird because people listening in America and in England are going, what are you talking about? In Australia summer right now? Daylight savings, which means it literally doesn't get dark dark till between nine nine thirty at least. Yeah. Yeah, it's been hot. Onto Christmas Day it's gonna be thirty five and then we're taking Elliott and Holly. My parents are coming, much of their chagrin apparently to the Boxing Day test between Australia and India. It's going to be forty degrees one hundred thousand people at the MCG, so.
Speaker 9: It's like forty in the air, and then it's actually like forty six in the crowds because of all the bodies.
Speaker 1: What's because you guys do celsius in England too?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 1: Yes, we did. What's fahrenheit for our American still have a look I lookt up here.
Speaker 9: One hundred degrees I think is when they say it's hot.
Speaker 1: Right. Yeah, we didn't tell you what you want to By the way, what did you want?
Speaker 9: I skirted that one tonight.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Well I've shared a few things with you. I wanted some I wanted some more exercise matts. I wanted some more weights, heavier weights. I'm getting strong.
Speaker 1: Well it's two days before Christmash. I haven't got these things by now. I'm in trouble, all right. Forty degrees celsius to fahrenheit is one hundred and four Wow, I alsough. It was weird because when the sound like kids the movie that you know, I Love You always goes it's one hundred and fifty degrees outside, and I always thought as a kid, and the kid's exaggerating degrees, that's so fahrenheit to celsius. I still think it's exaggerated because that's sixty five degrees celsias something quite think, No it ever got to that.
Speaker 9: I don't think so either. What is one hundred degrees fahrenheit in celsius?
Speaker 1: Because that's when one hundred fahrenheit that's when what well.
Speaker 9: That's when people in friends complain it's hot.
Speaker 1: So thirty seven that it's pretty well, yeah, pretty hip. Yeah, So I was going to ask you. So it was weights It was Jim Matt as you can tell, Nicholas getting fit at the moment.
Speaker 9: It was I wanted some those shoes, the ones with the arch support. I actually wanted some new glasses, and Brindy said, no, you can do that yourself.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna buy. I'm happy to put towards something. I'm not going to buy glasses because that's that's the thing that you're gonna wear every day. I don't want so on buying. No, I know.
Speaker 9: But my point is, like the thing is I would have gone with you, like we could have gone and you could have financially contributed. When I say you, I mean our bank money. No, our bank account would have paid for our gifts like that's how it work. That's why I thought, oh, well, you know, there's not a lot that I want, so I thought that would be something useful that I could also get for Christmas.
Speaker 1: But anyway, that's fine. I'm happy before we wrap up because we haven't got much time here in the card and you got to mop the floors, and now I've got a rap presence and Elliot's still singing songs to himself out there keeping quiet. Favorite Christmas movie, stop your head.
Speaker 9: Oh well, my mind went to jingle yeah, jingle all the way because we just watched it. It was just on, and I realized there's probably a couple that I haven't I haven't seen, like Deck the Halls was just up. I don't know that I've actually ever seen that. No, I've watched I've watched that one many many, many moons ago. But I absolutely love Love Love Actually, and so my Christmas tradition is having a Bailey's on Christmas Eve and watching Love Actually and rapping presents. So that is what tomorrow night will consist of, although we do need to start some tonight because every Christmas Eve if we do this and Brendan after about midnight and Brandon, I'm just too seriously, Like you know, I start at like eight thirty and I've had a couple of baileies and it's midnight, and I just.
Speaker 1: Spent wonder why I'm Nigglie in the morning.
Speaker 9: I know, and then he's up till stupid o'clock. But you know he is Santa, so try.
Speaker 1: To be more. Sorry, spoiler, come on, Nicholas, Elliet's listening. What are you talking about? Good one, mam, No, he's not listening. We've been talking about underrated I say underrated Christmas specials on here. So we've been talking about Christmas theme episodes of shows that we like and ones that you may not be aware of. And I mentioned the hand or one to Guy and I was going to mention one to Mitch. It was called it's called Oi to the World. It's the Nanny Christmas Special. Want to throw that one out there now before I run out of time. OI to the World. I think it's from season three. It's really weird because even if you don't like The Nanny, I love the fact that the balls to do this. It is not a live actual and it's completely animated. Sorry, The Nanny. The Nanny season three. The Christmas episode is called Oi to the World because because she's Jewish, right and she the whole show is animated. It's an animated Nanny Christmas special. I'm pretty sure we skipped it because like is anime not watching it. But it's really fun and there's no laugh track. It just feels like you're watching a proper Christmas special, but it's any characters. They go to the North Pole and the villain is CC. She's up there and yeah, it's good, like kid family or not really, of course it is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So Oi to the World.
Speaker 9: Over breakfast tomorrow morning, kids. Let's put this on.
Speaker 1: Which Christen's episode do you like the most? Is that the one with the holiday armadillo? No, I really like it. I like that scene. It stands out to me. It's a memorable scene.
Speaker 9: No, just the armadillo is a bit like I think it's one of those it was just on all the time. It's a bit overrated.
Speaker 1: But so what is your christ favorite Christmas episode? Then? Are there many?
Speaker 9: There's a few, you know, there's a few.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 9: I think they pretty much did one every year, but it wasn't necessarily centered around with Christmas Day.
Speaker 1: The first one wasn't any it was it was a broad Christmas, but it wasn't really Christmas episode. Is that right?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 1: Also has a definitive ranking of Friends Christo Maybe was that a podcast about that? My favorite Friends Christmas episode?
Speaker 9: I think we've talked about it before, but go on real off the top five and I'll give.
Speaker 1: Him as a step forward season forward, Ross freaking out because Mona wants to do a joint Christmas card. We have the one with all the candy Ross buying. Phoebe's the bike she never had as a kid is in that, but it's all about Monica. Monica does have a treat that's not really Christmas episode, the one with the Christmas in Tulsa.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's the one that came to mind, So that one of Christmas in Tulsa where Chandler essentially quits his job to come home because he's just like it's a great one. Yeah, yeah, missing out on life basically for this place. But also one of the early years I think it might even be season is it?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 9: Maybe season two? Phoebe goes looking for a dad and she can't go in, and so they sit outside in.
Speaker 1: The taxi for theah.
Speaker 9: By the time they get home, it's Christmas Day.
Speaker 1: Phoe's dad. That's number one here, that's the one we reviewed.
Speaker 9: Struck midnight obviously Christmas Day, but they brought things from the petrol station. I think it was like toilet tea cut. They're ribbed your pleasure. Hey everyone, it's Pat and Katie from the Office Talk Podcast, wishing you and your loved ones a wonderful holiday season.
Speaker 7: Join us in twenty twenty five for all new episodes of the Office Talk Podcast, part of the four Finger Discount network. Jim and Pam finally get together, can't wait, their love blossoms, Katie gets happy, all the positive things that you want in our podcast. We'll see you guys in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: Bye. If you're a fan of everything we do here at four Finger Discamp, but you're tired of hearing these pesky ads, then you'll absolutely love being a member of the fourth Finger Discamp family on Patreon, where you not only get access to over one hundred hours of bonus podcasts, but you also get access to this show early and add free every single week, as well as access to our exclusive Facebook and Discord communities and so much more. So go ahead join the family Today's sport your pals Guy and Dano for a little as one dollar per month at patreon dot com slash four figure discount. Holly and Elliott Back, It's the Holly and Elliott Show here on the four figure discount twenty twenty four. Christmas specially going to talk about poo poos, wee weez and all these other exciting stuff. What do you reckon, Holly?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Why I could say that I did a pooh and they didn't want my bother too lazy?
Speaker 1: You're such a song You used to say that all the time as Puma gives me kisses. Thanks for kisses, Pumba. So on Christmas morning, we're gonna wake up in the morning, aren't we, And we're going to open up some presents and where we're gonna have for lunch. We're gonna have some veggies, Holy Nena veggies this year? Do you love veggies?
Speaker 4: Christmas?
Speaker 1: I like to choes to tooth now. Actually, the next day after Christmas, we're going to the cricket, going to the cricket in Melbourne at the mc g Can we believe it? You're coming to Yeah, and mom, Mom, mummy and Grandma and Grandad are gonna go on the train and.
Speaker 4: Mom, mom, mummy, this way, my mummy. Sure, we're all going on the train.
Speaker 1: Be very excited. Hopefully Australia we're going on the train with us. Hopefully Australia wins the boxing day test. We're going a day one sold out coming to I don't think is gonna come because poomb would do pumba toots and you'll stick the whole train out.
Speaker 4: You can't have dogs.
Speaker 1: Bag the don't play with me sometimes pump with the stinky toots in here and uncle guy guys pa and we have to stop because he's a damn dirty dog. Do that he does? Indeed? All right? Anyway, guys, that is all we're gonna talk about here on the Christmas Special.
Speaker 4: We're about to pack up.
Speaker 1: Please say thank you to everybody for listening. I do want to say thanks everybody. Thanks you listen, good job, and we'll see you all next year with the Holly and Alliott Show. What do you reckon?
Speaker 4: Ye?
Speaker 1: Bye guys, Bye, guys. All those kids are there. Shenanigan's adorable, adorable, So I thought, just something different. Let's talk about underrated Christmas specials and movies or you know whatever that people might not have heard of nov or whatever. I'll let you start, well, yeah, may I do a little bit of cross promotion.
Speaker 2: We are in twenty twenty four, after all, and everybody's their own marketing department. But friend of the pot, Charlie Lawson, legitimate friend of the pod, Charlie Lawson.
Speaker 1: He came on to review the Last Temptation of Home I BELI did. Indeed, I will occasionally go out on my own. I will go rogue and record a podcast or two with Charlie. We did one not long ago where we talked about underrated or slightly left of sender Christmas movies. I'm happy to sort of talk about one of those that I talked about on that podcast on this podcast because I'm lazy and I don't want to think too much. Batman.
Speaker 2: Everybody likes Batman and Batman Returns is set at Christmas time and I I really love but it's probably one of my favorite Batman movies.
Speaker 1: You say it's underrated, though I would not.
Speaker 2: It's not necessarily one of those ones that make Yeah, it hasn't reached. Diehard's a Christmas movie yet, but you can say, well.
Speaker 1: It will, hopefully it will. Recently, it's fucking out there that movie. It's an odd ass movie, and it's not for kids. It's freaky ass. Yeah, it's freaky. He bicycle's nose. Yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: Bloody and sexy and kinky, and for all those reasons and many more, I adore it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm a big fan.
Speaker 2: But also it just it feels odd to say it's Christmasy because it is set at Christmas time. You know, you've got the ice Princess and the big Christmas tree and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: But also the way it's made.
Speaker 2: I mean, it feels like, for me, like an old timey movie, like something from the forties or fifties, And when I was growing up, that's the kind of stuff that I would watch on TV or on Christmas Time, like an old musical, something like meet Me in Saint Louis or meet Me in Saint Lewis.
Speaker 1: Whoever, my apologies to the people of that city, Louis. I think that's how they sing it, Okay, Yeah, I think I think Louis probably rhymes some more stuff than Lewis. Yeah, they sang it wrong. They're too cheap to fix it. Yeah, fucking up, Judy Garton, No, say Louis, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's just got a very kind of big, gordy quote unquote artificial feel that feels like Christmas to me. It feels like you're going to the mall and seeing a huge tree and a fat dude dressed up as Santa. You know, the actual Santa couldn't be there.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, it just gives me a warm glow. And then it's got all that, as I said, the bloodiness and the kinkiness and the weirdness that just you know, it's a little spice in your egg nog.
Speaker 1: Batman's barely in it as well. That's the thing as well, going is this a Batman movie? What is that?
Speaker 6: Not?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 2: I mean, I get the feeling because this is directed by Tim Burton, it's his follow up to the nineteen eighty nine Batman.
Speaker 1: It feels like it was keeping busy when they made this movie. He got busy, certainly because I think he he had had a past relationship with Michelle Fire, who plays camp Woman, saying you really feel the chemistry between the two of those. That's great, but you.
Speaker 2: Get the feeling that when he made. When Burton made the first Batman, it was kind of like, you're making a Batman movie. You've got this ip work color within these lines, give a little bit of that Tim Burton flavor. And it did like gang Basters and Tim Burton becomes a real name brand. When he got to the second one, he's like, I want to do make Tim Burton thing and they're like, it seems to have worked so far.
Speaker 1: He delivers this and they went, oh no, no again.
Speaker 2: I get a lot of say the line, but you know, my favorite line from that chat I had with the late great Joel Schumacher when he was directing Batman movies. Like the movies make billions, The movies make millions, the toys make billions.
Speaker 1: I don't want to play with this penguin. Well mc donald's pulled the plug on their marketing. Oh yeah, yeah, Like I watched his going kids ain't gonna want to fucking penguin toy?
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, Dando, you have two lovely children after you put them to bed, and Holly's.
Speaker 1: Like, I don't want to go to bed. I don't want to go get better or the penguin. I'll got you. That's a that's a good.
Speaker 2: Technique, but you know, you might want to cuddle on the couch with your beloved. And I don't know, watch Batman and Catwoman just sort of you know, I.
Speaker 1: Don't see my Batman rap up. The sexual time were shoemaker films. That's why I have When I was kidding, I watched it going I'll watch it now as an adult with the kids, and I go, kids can watch this. It's made for kids. People hate it at the time. These people and did exactly what they that's true telling you, I Reckon Schumacher did to a t what he was asked to do.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I think he understood this, Simon absolutely and he brought a bit of his shoemaker goodness to it as well.
Speaker 1: It's so corny and ridiculous. But that's exactly the.
Speaker 2: Other thing though, if you're talking about Batman Forever or Batman and Robin or both of them, Batman Forever and was about it not as kinky as Returns, But I mean the stuff with Kilmer and Kidman is kind of like these.
Speaker 1: Hot damn and carry as Riddler in his absolute prime carry and you had Tom of the Jones trying to be carried Yeah, that's party sanction. That the thing is, the thing is you know why it works. It was a success, So Batman Returns was a marketing not a failure. But when McDonald's pulled the plug on the happy Meal toys, you know you're fucked up right. One of the most iconic McDonald's things of all time, like toys haveing meal things was the Batman Forever glasses. Every nineties kid I never having in America. In Australia we did. We've also got them. They are they are just iconic. Every ossy kitchen had at least one of these glasses in the kitchen in the cupboards, and they're just so great. They're styleized. I'll show them. They're fantastic, right. This movie was just perfectly made. Four kids. I remember all the marketing, all the toys. It was like it was just a great granted not great Batman movies or what the previous ones were, but as in a capsule perfect. Oh yeah. When we're recording this.
Speaker 2: A couple of hours ago, the first trailer for James Gung Superman movie dropped.
Speaker 1: Okay, have you watched it yet? Have you seen this? Have you heard about this? Sorry, of course you're gonna of course some.
Speaker 2: I think you'll enjoy it because it's first of all, it's got like a this is gonna sound that, but it works. It's like a rock guitar version of John Williams a Superman theme, kind of good. The guy playing Superman looks great.
Speaker 1: Either really slow with the piano or rocky. And it's not they don't go full you know, rock out with your cockadd it's.
Speaker 2: More it's not bad dude. But overall, and of course it's based on just a two minute trailer, so they're trying to sell you on something. But it feels like a steer away from the very serious stuff, which with the Nolan Batman's and with the Zack Snyder Superman's, it feels like, oh, this is a bit more cartoonish, a little lighthearted, and it's got some seriousness to it. But it's like this looks big and goofy and weird, and sincere I think it's gonna think it's actually gonna be really good. My my expectations of it were kind of like, but it feels it doesn't feel quite as gordy as like the Shoemaker Batman's, but it feels like oh, these are meant to be fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these are kind of meant to be fun. I said to I was saying to a Mitch, maybe message you, maybe mystery. I just had a random thought with Mitch is a huge Superman fan. I messaged him saying, does it bother you that kids in twenty twenty four, if you walked up to any child and sai, who's you favorite superhero? None of them a saying Batman or Superman anymore? And that just is a sign that DC are fucked up because every kid's favorite superhero now's either spider Man, Iroman, it's all Marvel. When I was growing up, it was you're either Superman kid or you're a Batman kid. Okay, because well there was no Marvel films, you know what I mean? That's true, But now like no kid wants to be Maybe you get a costume. But if you say to a kid, who's you favorite superhero, they're not saying Batman, They're not saying Superman.
Speaker 2: No, Batman's a little bit more for sort of I've not too serious teenage edge lords and old Mastard like me and Superman.
Speaker 1: Certain i'd say Daredevil. Wol. I'm gonna go on a limon say, I don't think Superman's call anymore. Well, no, but Superman was never cool, but he felt When I was a kid, it felt cool the due can fly. Oh yeah, when flying like that's that's a superperwerent of stuff. Now kids are so accustomed to the Avengers films, where it's just constant fucking people flying around bashing into each other, like the idea of this guy can fly and what Yeah, they've just have taken the aura of Superman.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, the tough thing with Superman was like, well, you know, who can threaten this guy?
Speaker 1: We've made him. We made this guy too good? But cheat code. That's true.
Speaker 2: But anyway, but that's coming out next year. But the trailer is fantastic and I'm really.
Speaker 1: Looking forward to it. But my Christmas Special, yeah, and I was better to say that, but I'm done. I wanted to get something that's completely different. I knew you'd go something that's more adult based. I've gone to something that I am particularly for nineties kids. I think a lot of our listeners are nineties kids, my age whatever, Yes, And I think and the show Hay Hannold, I've brought it up very a lot one of my favorite shows still to this day. Kids love watching Hayndold now they love it. It's funny how the kids call him hay Hanold his name is actually because it's interesting. I didn't realize this until a lot later. So Dan Castlentta does the voice of his grandpa. So do you know that the purpose of the show this is his grandpa and grandma in a It's like it's like a house of various people live in it, like a boarding house. It's almost like a boarding house basically. Yeah, it's like all these different red ruined apartment block. Maybe it's like an apartment building or whatever. Yeah, and they they're the landlords, the landlands of building. Yes, but they all all have they share the same kitchen and what that kind of thing. So it's like a family vibe. But they all have their own rooms in his apartment. This sounds more like a boarding house. Yeah, yeah, boarding house maybe. Yeah. So so Dan Castlett does the voice of grandpa, and trust me, Neil has the voice of the grandma. But they always go hey short man, Hew you going hey short man. And later in the show you find out his last name short man. It's Adam's short man. But this Christmas is called Arnold's Christmas. It's from season one of the show, and it's just got a really sweet, beautiful story. So there's a I'm pretty sure mister Hunt is Vietnamese. Back when he was a lot younger, he had a daughter May. We never see his wife, and I'm assuming she must beast. But they come to a point where they were escaping on a helicopter and then he had room for one more and he said, well, I want my daughter to have a better life, so he puts the daughter, baby May, on the helicopter. She gets taken and he finds out that she was in this city, which is why he moved to the city where Arnold lives, and he's trying to track her down, but he can't track her down. So Arnold's Christmas wish is to track down his daughter, who's much older now, and reunite her with her father. Arnold. What a lord, what a show. It's fantastic, sounds a really nice. I'm sort of not tearing up, but yeah, close, yeah, Becau. It's just you know, you never really know much about the guy and you find out, oh, he's here because he's trying to track down his daughter who he wanted to give a better life to, and Arnold's Christmas wishes to reunite them. And you're like, oh my god, all right, spoiler, is there a reunion there? Of course there is, yeah, all right, Christmas Miracle, Yes, it is Christmas Miracle indeed. Yes. And if you want a funny, like a funny Christmas themed episode of a TV show, I've always mentioned how I love the Drop from the Sun. Yes, the very first Christmas special they do. I think it's called I've got to hear jolly old Saint Dick. It's called Dick Solomon. They all just it's just your various Shenanigans. So Sally becomes a gift wrapper at the More Shannikins and Sue Harry, who is the what's his name French Stewart. Yeah, he plays one of Santa's alves at the More, then finds out that this isn't the real sand at the More and he's like, what are you doing? Pretty much, buddy, the elf stole the concept. Yes, And Tommy, who is Joseph Gordon Levitt in one of his first roles, is frustrated because his girlfriend won't tell him what she wants for Christmas. She wants him to figure it out, and I'm like, oh, we've all been there, buddy, we've been there. And Dick gets the rest of her chopping down a Christmas tree for the house. But they're all aliens. I don't get it. It's just, you know, it's just aliens trying to experience their first Christmas on Earth. And it's a lot of fun, a lot of shenanigans. Yeah, fantastic, a lot of great physical comedy in Thur from the Sun, so Jolly Old Saint Dick, The Thread from the Sun, and Arnold's Christmas. I highly recommend checking those out.
Speaker 2: I will add one more, if that's all right. Something's a little more sweet and lighthearted, as like a little touch of spice in it. I'm sure I've mentioned this in the past, but a bears repeating. This is a telemovie from the early nine is called Bernard and the Genie. I never mentioned this one.
Speaker 1: Have you heard this? I can't recall you have?
Speaker 2: Okay, this does Alan Cumming? People know him from. I think he hosts like the TV show The Traitors.
Speaker 1: Unfortunate last name, isn't it. Yeah, you never know if he's coming or going. Yeah, exactly, but it's spelt cuming, right, was its? It's got the two? I thought one? Okay, yeah.
Speaker 2: He plays a young man named Bernard who is having a terrible Christmas. He has been dumped by his unfaithful.
Speaker 1: Girlfriend faithful ones.
Speaker 2: And I think she might have actually dumped him for his boss who then yeah, his girlfriend leaves him for his best friend.
Speaker 4: Um.
Speaker 2: He discovers that his boss uh accidentally discusses his bosses corrupt and he gets fired as a result. His life is just shit on Christmas time.
Speaker 1: But he's got this.
Speaker 2: He finds this old lamp, gives it a rub that pops a genie played by the great UK comedian Lenny Henry. Virginie has been in the lamp for two thousand years.
Speaker 1: It's never like four years thousands ah.
Speaker 2: And is very very taken with everything that Mons society has to offer, from funk music to McDonald's. But he also was his This was nineteen ninety one.
Speaker 1: Oh so it's ninety okay, yeah, yeah, what's it? Ca, I'm gonna look at something and the genie okay, yeah, I believe was ninety one.
Speaker 2: It first aired twenty three December nineteen ninety one. Ron Ekinson's in there, and ron Ekinson is the evil Boss.
Speaker 1: The kids have just discovered mister Bean. They amazing.
Speaker 2: I was talking about this with a friend of mine on Alone the other night. One of the most hilarious schisms between on screen persona and private life is Rowan Atkinson, because I mean he's mister Bean. He's a massive door.
Speaker 1: Getting rebooted or something. Apparently, So yeah, new episodes of Time. I saw it coming on Netflix one announcing it here.
Speaker 2: In his actual life, he's like this vintage carra Fi Shonado who owns like six Aston Martins races them. Apparently he pulled like a burden of the genie and he told the girl friend of this other comedian a comana I don't like, by the way, I find a bit bit of a prats. I'm like, you go, mister Bean. And my mate said, have you ever heard the story about you know, he was on his private plane landing somewhere in Africa. The pilot had a heart attack and Rollan Atkinson landed the plane.
Speaker 1: Really, holy shit, that's mister Bean skit in it. So yeah. So apparently had a show on Netflix two years ago that I had no idea about ca Manvess is b Yeah, and they're doing a sequel with that as well. That's what I saw, yeah, called man versus Baby. That's it. Yeah. I thought it was Mystic, which.
Speaker 2: Is the story of Dando's life. Yeah, but Bernar and the Genie.
Speaker 1: I think you can probably find it on YouTube. A lot of stuff is just ending up on YouTube these days because there's We've just got so much stuff you got to put it somewhere, and that just can't control it all anymore. I can't control it all.
Speaker 2: But it's very sweet and it's got a really lovely not bittersweet ending.
Speaker 1: But you know you think, oh, I spoiler back, I'm gonna watch this shit. No, No, it's it's lovely. It's something I really rite out of these t all right, Well, that is our underrated Christmas special? Any any TV show specials over there? Any TV Yeah, I I was trying to think of some TV episodes that you can remember that. You go, you like the Christmas version of it. You love family Tires, right, I do, and I'm sure they would have had fa Mainy Tires Christmas. I'm gonna take the description of Christmas Special A Keaton Christmas Carol. Christmas is just around the corner, but Alex lacks holiday spirit as the rest of his family prepared to celebrate. On Christmas Eve, he is visited in a dream by ghostly messengers who give him a view of his past and future. Christmas is along with a different perception of the holiday. Ah Dickens always comes through, so family ties, they do have Christmas Special. What's another show you liked? What's the theme song you like? Growing Pains? Like, yeah, Growing Pains Christmas have a look.
Speaker 2: You've just reminded me of a gift that I got from my my great sister Margot. All my sisters are great, but Margo, from a very early age was always giving me like books, and books were just way but my pay grade. But she gave me like a really nice little hard backed copy of a Christmas Carol Charles Dickens Christmas Carol when I was about maybe seven or eight, and I was like, this isn't make for notch. So of course I was like, eh, I'll tell you what I've got That book to this day, I reckon. I mean, yeah, it must be god nearly half a century old now, but yeah, something's got to keep there are some things you've got to keep. Marco has liked that though she's always she's like you, and that she's giving gifts as opposed to like, just give me a gift cap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know what I want. I'd give gifts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's kind of like putting effort into like I think they might like this, So it's a gamble.
Speaker 1: She's always rolling the dice. My mum's worked out. Now, don't buy the kids clothes or she's worked out. Don't expect to excited response when you buy them clothes. That's true. He's one toys on Christmas. Here's one toys sucks a Christmas story. This is Growing Pains. I'm seeing a theme here. Oh boy, okay, well the Siva family prepared for Christmas. One of Jason's patients contemplates suicide by jumping under sea for chimney. Holy so, a little bit Gremlins, a little bit, that's a wonderful life. Yeah, all right, that's the second one is called the Kid. Second Christmas episode of Growing Pains, taken with the holiday spirit, Ben brings home a runaway homeless girl for dinner. All right, Ben, it's a little one, right. I never watched the show. I'm trying to remember what Kirk Cameron's character's name, jingle Bell Rock, the Red Nose Reindeer, get the holes in the first Noel Orbia, Okay, that's number.
Speaker 2: It's very nice, that's very Christmasy. As I said, they understood the assignment.
Speaker 1: And it's not easy. Being Green is the third and final Christmas episode of Growing Pains. They did three. The description is the Christmas Spirit is on short supply, with Mike and Carabine jealous of Kate and Dwight. Well, Jason is over controlling and decorating the tree. That sounds like a sick sheigans into ularity into you. But every sitcom's got a Christmas episode, and yeah, you might not know they exists. Just check it out. Look, think of your favorite TV show and just take Christmas episode after it. And I love it when the show's because I'm a Christmas guy. You also love seeing the characters that I enjoy just in the Christmas spirit. Generally, it's very odd or very rare for a Christmas themed episode to have a sad ending No no, I mean the old point of it is to make you feel a woman fuzzy and by presence. Of course, it's going to be a scripted show.
Speaker 2: It's got to follow the beats of something's gonna go slightly wrong. Well, here's a situation that could end badly, but guess what, it doesn't because we're a family, and families get together at Christmas time, and even if you're not part of the family. Hey come, you know, hey, homeless girl, I'm ben seeber Come, come, come to our house.
Speaker 1: She stole all our shit. Anyway, all right, what are we do? Let's get some mail bad before that, though, I believe the old Miss's going to be making an appearance. You're a better the old ball and Chain. Come on, the old Mitch's gonna make an appearance. Well, the old ball and Chain. I guess you coul say you could. Now you're liberated, got a whole new ball and chain. All right, we'll be back with some mailbag questions a little bit later, but for now, here is Mitch get out of image. If you're a fan of everything we do here at four Finger Discount, but you're tired of hearing these pesky ads, then you'll absolutely love being a member of the four Finger Discount family on Patreon, where you not only get access to over one hundred hours of bonus podcasts, but you also get access to this show early and add free every single week, as well as access to our exclusive Facebook and Discord communities, and so much more. So go ahead join the family today and support your palas Guy and Dando for a little as one dollar per month at patreon dot com slash fourthinger discount.
Speaker 4: Hey everyone, Katieg here, Merry Christmas to everyone around the world, and it's been an enjoyable year listening to this very special podcast.
Speaker 3: Hey, Guy and Dando, Dando and Guy, It's Andrew swenty mix one here, just wanting to wish you both very merry Christmas. Thank you for an absolute kick ass twenty twenty four. Looking forward to twenty twenty five with lots more stories of KFC ninety day fiance and maybe a little bit of Simpsons here and there as well, And of course, a very merry Christmas to your lovely families as well, to Elliott and Holly, and to the lovely Nikola of course, and to the lovely Louise and her kids as well.
Speaker 1: Cheers, guys.
Speaker 5: Man deck the halls with special guests. Can I introduce myself like that? How are we. It's nice to see its endo what's going on?
Speaker 1: Not too much. It's a little unsettling, though, because I don't think you ever introduced yourself on the podcast ever. It was always I am Mitch.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's as much as I have.
Speaker 1: Pull the curtain back. Actually said to him, look, you can do the j for this, go for I was kind of hoping you go I am Mitch, because that's what the people. You've got to give the people what they want.
Speaker 5: I still need to be fed that line. I can't just come out with I am Mitch.
Speaker 1: We're joined here by We're joined here by my dear friend. I am Mitch, I said my dear friend.
Speaker 5: Well, in the absence the absence of a dear friend arriving, I am Mitch.
Speaker 1: You asked how I am, I'm doing well. We're here as part of the twenty twenty four Christmas Special. Basically we thought we would do something a bit different this year because I always feel like we've phoned in a bit at the Christmas Special. It's just let's just turn them works out and see what comes out. You know that cliche?
Speaker 5: Isn't that also the direction you just gave me?
Speaker 1: That's pretty much what we do here. But I thought this year we'll get you know, we'll get Mitche on, We'll get Nikola on, We'll get the kids on, We'll get you know, other patrons on or whatever. Just make it a full Forefinger Descant family Christmas special because you have me on the show for a long time. So what have you been doing in the last two years? Besides making babies?
Speaker 5: Well made baby? Raising baby for the most part is what I've been doing. I've been I'm not playing sport, playing golf, but I'm not playing cricket this summer, just giving up a bit more time. Back to Lex.
Speaker 1: Golf is not a sport? Is that what you're saying.
Speaker 5: It's arguable.
Speaker 1: It's defined US sport. It's on Fox Sports. But yeah, people, a lot of people say, is it really a sports? Like snooger, I watched snooker, I watched bowlie. Is it really a sport? It's competitive.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of things that are on Fox Sports that aren't sport. I mean, Jason Dunstall is in a sport.
Speaker 1: He's a speaking of sport, I'm taking Alliott to his first ever test match boxing day. What better one's taken to. I mean it's not the Ashes, but it's still this is the next best one.
Speaker 5: Right totally any Boxing day test, but yes, if it's Australia India for the last really the last ten ish years, ten to fifteen years, like that's been prime time and Boxing Day test is I think it's the MCG as much as anything, to be fair, but boxing day tests there's something about that post Christmas buzz that hangs around the air. You've also you know there's Boxing Day sales Melbourne's Melbourne's busy, but calm like it. No one's stressed on Boxing Day. It's just a it's a chill vibe.
Speaker 1: You're still in a slight food comba from Christmas and whatnot.
Speaker 5: Hmm. I still like I've got pretty vivid memories of my first couple of MCAG trips related that my grandfather took me to my first out of cricket game at the g but that was a one day It was Australia, I want to say it was Australia Pakistan.
Speaker 1: We took Ellie to Australia Pakistan this year.
Speaker 5: Nice, there's a little bit of symmetry there. What I do remember about the game is Anthony Stewart took a hat trick and Anthony Stewart didn't play a lot of cricket for Australia, but because that was like the first thing that I ever saw in my eyes, Anthony Stewart was better than Glen McGrath for a couple of years. And the first Test that I went to was actually Australia in the year as well, and it was Brittley's debut.
Speaker 1: That was the we watched that today, Elliot night, I was on Foxtowe.
Speaker 5: The whole test or was it just like a little clip.
Speaker 1: It was the minis kind of thing. Yeah, cool, but yeah that was in two thousand. Yeah, it was the.
Speaker 5: Ninety nine two thousand series. We went day two from memory. Australia had batted on day one and Brett Lee made like twenty seven maybe not out, but I had like twenty seven or something like that. So that was the sort of first thing we saw in the morning and then it took a week. In his first over, I think it was with a low full toss from memory, but just that was one of those things where I think that like there was a buzz and excitement around how quick Brett had been bowling in the lead up, and even that it was at a time that people weren't really paying attention to speed guns. It wasn't until the talk of like this kid is really really quick. And I don't know if it was coincidence, but I'd be surprised if it was that that was the one that Dad was like, right, we're going and yeah, it was great. Day picked up with a good one, and that kick started a run of me not missing boxing day tests for oh god, maybe until X was born or COVID COVID year probably anyway, it was it was a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, Alie's excited. Alie will sit there, he will watch test matches. He's obsessed with cricket. He loves it. It's great.
Speaker 5: How's it going with the change of pace, because is this his first summer of watching test much cricket?
Speaker 1: First someone he likes the idea of tests more than one day is I think he loves the excitement of big bash, but he likes the fact that he goes, oh it doesn't matter if this one because they get the bat again. He likes the concept of all that. He likes the five day concept.
Speaker 5: He likes the second chances.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but no, but he'll be watching it and he'll just go oh because he was human. When India didn't have to do the follow on, he was furious. He cracked it, walked out. He goes, these guys are the bowlers, why can't they get him out?
Speaker 5: So was it him that was messaging me, not you?
Speaker 1: From if I was just strowing you up? Mitch and I have messages and I know he hates when people just throw hot takes out there, so I'm like, I'm just gonna throw some hot takes out at him. And he didn't respond straight away, and I was like, oh, it didn't work. And then about an hour, lady, you're like, I'm going to respond to this when I'm finished with the bath.
Speaker 5: That was not my tone. I mean, I did record.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm gonna I will return to this, and I was like, I've got to come clean now. Before he actually stoos for an hour.
Speaker 5: I don't know how close he came to a let no number.
Speaker 1: I sent like six messages in a row and I was like, he's not replying. I'm just gonna keep going to the replies and you didn't reply, and I was like, I'm gonna say.
Speaker 5: I was leimate, I was legitimately justice year Ash was out and I was tied up. I thought I was just dealing with dinner and bedtime and all sort stuff.
Speaker 1: I thought I genuinely just like pissed him off to the point were he's just not going to write back anymore.
Speaker 5: What's Christmas presents? What's coming for the kids?
Speaker 1: Alliott just wants cricket ship but he so he's getting I'm talking legitimate, like he wants the test shirt, the test overcoat thing, the wooly one, he wants that, the test pants, he wants the he calls him the Zamper glasses. But they're just the cricketer glasses.
Speaker 5: I can't believe how quickly though that that pair of glasses. I don't know what the fuck are I think they're Oakley, but whoever makes them, like every cricketer I've never seen them before, and suddenly everyone is wearing them.
Speaker 1: Yep, there now, I reckon, there's got to be some sort of tie in there, like we'll pay you to all wear the same shit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, gotta be, Yeah, it might almost be. But the thing is, it's not even just Australia, like the Indians wearing as well. I'm seeing New Zealand because originally I was thinking, oh maybe it was a time with cricket Australia, but that's so ubiquitous it's insane.
Speaker 1: Can I just say, well, ten minutes in, Eliza is probably thinking, fuck me, Mitch has been on the show for like three years and all the torbet's fucking cricket.
Speaker 5: You're the one going to the test.
Speaker 1: Yeah I know, but yeah, so it's true though I reckon that they used to wear Oakley's anyway. But they were the thinner ones, weren't they.
Speaker 5: The style is now you'd get variety, like you know, some would wear the wrap arounds and some would were just just wear like bug eyes or whatever.
Speaker 1: It would be. Imagine the glasses were talking about. Imagine what a typical raver wears to a music festival.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're not a mile away from the Piete Sittle speed dealers that he was made fun of wearing a couple of seasons ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but Elliot wanted a pair of those, so he's getting those. He wanted a wooden bat. It's weird the smaller bats. So why he's height he's a size three? Okay, but the head of the bat's a lot thinner. Yeah, and Alliott won't want that because he practices with like the big bash kanga cricket, like the plastic ones, and wise, I think he's adjusted to the height of that. And granted the wooden bats are a bit heavier, but I think I won't take him on to just get just get used to it. I'd rather just throw him the deep been straight away. I'm going to get him a size five, which is a lot bigger. I think, why I just go for the gusto from the get go.
Speaker 5: You're grow into it, That's fine. Yeah, you know I'm not cutting golf clubs in half flex yet. I'm just giving her mind and you know, we stand further away she figures it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because we've got I've got a friend who likes the cricket and he plays with the smaller bat, and I'm just like, rather just learn how to play with the big one. So I've got him the size five cricket bat. But else, yeah, he got some new cricket wickts. He wanted a lot up what brand?
Speaker 5: What brand bat?
Speaker 1: Gret Nichols?
Speaker 5: Okay, ready handle or like what are the stickers?
Speaker 1: And as in I've gotta right under the table, I can have a look showed. Yeah, okay, it's this one right here, the.
Speaker 5: Giant Oh wait, no blast sorry blast, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, Cashmere Cashmere Willow ready played g n R five blast.
Speaker 5: Great finest Cashmere Willow type A.
Speaker 1: He wanted the red handle, apparently saw someone using it. You wanted who used the green Nichols? Is it head? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, track head.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure it's Travis He because you want you wanted, you wanted heads bat if.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say, you would have struggled to have had the opportunity to see Mitch Marshus that so far this.
Speaker 1: Time we should start a quicker podcast.
Speaker 5: What do you keep trying to break all of the things I love into podcasts?
Speaker 1: Do you want to talk about them? Though?
Speaker 5: No, that's enough people talking about them.
Speaker 1: So he's got so he's got the full test gear. He wanted a the hats like the white hat they were. He's basically wanted the test.
Speaker 5: He just wants to be able to walk down the street and be mistaken.
Speaker 1: For Ben Duckett. Yeah, but we're here to talk about Christmas specials. So I spoke earlier to Guy about underrated Chrismas specials. It's Christmas specials that we appreciated that others out there might not have heard of. Guy ended up talking about Batman Returns because says it's a Chrismas movie that many people don't see. It is a Christmas movie. Whatever. I ended up going with it. It's very true to me, but it's actually a really great story. And I went with Arnold's Christmas from Hay Arnold. It's some season one of Hay Arnold. I don't want to read treat the same thing. Basically, the story is he lives in the boarding house or the house with lots of people living with his grandparents owned the own the place, state that the landlord's and there's a Vietnamese the man there named mister Hun. Arnold get him the Kris Kringle. He wants to get him a good present. He finds out that the reason he's in the city there, living in that city where he chose to live there, was because when he was younger, he had a baby daughter named my and during the Vietnam War, the American soldiers were flying away to a helicopter and then the space one more person. He gave him the baby so she'd be safe and have a nice place to live, and he heard that she'd moved to this city. Arnold Spendcy's Christmas trying to find and track her down. And it's a reunion and it's big Christmas miracle. It's a really lovely story. It's as a really adult story for a kids show, and I really appreciated it. But I said to you to recommend a Christmas special of some kind or Christmas movie or something, And what did you come up with?
Speaker 5: Oh? I had a good think about this because the first few that sprung to mind were the obvious ones. I mean, the Simpsons have done some really good ones. We don't need to warp over that.
Speaker 1: The just some one that we may end up be doing a review of.
Speaker 5: Yes, which I started watching until you said cancel plans. I forgot had done something. They'll postpone. This Fishes from the Bear. It's obviously like, that's not underrated, that's just fucking brilliant.
Speaker 1: The Bear was it?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah, have you watched the bit?
Speaker 1: I haven't yet. No, those seasons comes out soon. Yeah, I heard it's great, all right? Cool?
Speaker 5: So in the second episode, sorry, in the second season, there's an episode called Fishes, which is a flashback episode to Calmi, the main character since family Christmas, and his mum is trying to cook the seven fishes, so it's seven different fish dishes on Christmas traditional meal. It's chaotic. It's really chaotic and frenetic, and it hearkens to the people that may be more broken home memories rather than the nuclear family. Everything's good, but it's Christmas not going well, and through it all though people still you know, they're still coming together, they still love each other, and then it all falls apart again. But it's really really just spellbinding hour or so of TV. Then I was trying to think too, I was trying to get away. I was like, well, the thing that interests me the most about Christmas episodes is with network TV shows in particular, how often Christmas gets brought in and it has absolutely nothing to do with the plot. And I feel like Christmas is the only time of year that every syndicated show feels like we've got to have a Christmas show.
Speaker 1: Around Christmas time, they tend to do it maybe with Thanksgiving sometimes.
Speaker 5: Maybe Thanksgiving, but it's like those holidays and it's just as always felt odd to me that that is the It's not like they're like, it's going to be cold, so we should make sure we have a winter episode, or like this is on in the summer, so it has to be hot like it. It's just a bizarre thing that, like no Christmas time, people expect to see Christmas on TV.
Speaker 1: I guess maybe it's just fitting the vibe as well. You feel like maybe the networks say, look, it's the Christmas week. We want every show on our network to be doing Christmas show as well. You feel like it's something that the executives are doing as opposed to people creating the show.
Speaker 5: With that said, so I was trying to think through those worlds. Fraser has got a couple of really good Christmas episodes. Now it's hard to split, to be honest. Then I was thinking around. I was trying to get away from comedies to a degree. The West Wind has got.
Speaker 1: I was going to bring up the West Wing. No, Noel is a great one.
Speaker 5: No, wow, yeah, fucking cracking.
Speaker 1: That's the one with the art dealer, right or the Nazi art. The Nazi art one. Hey, no, there's a Christmas episode that has Nazi art involved in it.
Speaker 5: Unless there's a subplot that I'm not aware of it. Noela's where Josh Lyne and Bradley Whitford's character is dealing with the aftermath and the PTSD of the assassination attempt. If there's Nazi Yad in there, then I've probably glossed over that, just because what it does have is that phenomenal little speech from Leo at the end of it, which is just him wrapping his arms around.
Speaker 1: Him have a bit of a jerk.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, but in the best way, straight into my face. Please, mister Sorkin, I am ready to accept it.
Speaker 1: I did not leave my cricket of glasses on. You go for it.
Speaker 5: Then, Mash had a couple of good ones. Yeah, there's one. I had to look up the name for this one, but Death Takes a Holiday, which was season ninth of MASH. Serious Mash, Yeah exactly. That's like post laugh track Mash. But it's a really real, the intense episode. It's a really good one. I think they kicked one off as well, Dear Dad in the first season, which is Hawkeye dressed up as Santa Claus riding around an army helicopter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do want to correct I believe the Tire Show did have a laugh track, but you can if you have the DVD switch laugh track off. I don't they ever stopped doing a laugh track.
Speaker 5: I'm sure I saw some just on Foxholder didn't.
Speaker 1: Oh but was that because Foxtown now airing the laugh tracks episodes? But mate, because Alan Older became a director, So maybe he made a decision this episode doesn't need a laugh track. Maybe you're right.
Speaker 5: It could have been that, like whether it was the whole way through, and I think it was. What my mate and I've noticing when we're watching this years ago, was the difference, Like you go from early match to go to an Allan Older's directed match, it's an entirely different. Yeah, Like to the point that you're like, did you become director or show runner? Like did Alan Older just fire everybody?
Speaker 1: You are? Right by the way, I'm looking you up. Mass stopped using a laugh track over many years, if eventually dropping it all together. The show's show runers felt that using can laughter in a series about Warrens surgeons was in poor taste. So, yeah, you're right. I haven't revisited the sh for a long time. Man. I love mash.
Speaker 5: Yeah, My dad used to really adore it, and I liked it a lot when I was a kid, just by proxy, and I haven't watched it for a long time, but i'd be keen to get back into it, I think as an adult and just you know, rewatch it from older rise. Then I've got one that's way more obscure that I'll land on, and one that I haven't actually seen that I want to talk about. I haven't watched all of the Black Mirrors, but there's a Black Mirror episode called White Christmas in the second season of Black Mirror. Have you watched much Black Mirror?
Speaker 1: Watch the first season? Yeah? Okay? Is the first season one with the pig in the well. That's first episode. That's the season.
Speaker 5: What an introduction to a TV show?
Speaker 1: Oh shit is going for it? Just for hours that pig was not saying my face please, sir.
Speaker 5: H White Christmas is an episode as I haven't seen the John Ham's in it, so it has.
Speaker 1: To be good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the obscure one though, this is one that stood out for me, and it's an interesting one because you recently took on watching House and then bailed on it early.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, we're going to revisit it. We're going to make it. We're not going to binge it. We're going to watch it an episode, a couple of nights off watching another one. It's not a binge worthy show.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, it's it's a drip feed show because it's so formulaic. Like, it's really hard to binge watch a formulate show because you really start to see through the scenes of it all. We've been doing that with Suits. We never watched Suits when it was on hard.
Speaker 1: Towards the end. It's a hard watch, man. It's just it's just it's just pretty pretty. Ship.
Speaker 5: There was a phenomenal interview. Oh well, I mean once Meghan Markle and of mate who's the star of the show whatever his name is, got off the show.
Speaker 1: You up to that point yet, Yeah, okay, that's when it starts getting real weird. When Catherine Hagel comes on. You're like, oh, what's going on?
Speaker 5: Yeah? That was it is. But I also don't have to watch Meghan mark will be ship at acting, and I don't have to watch the other guy constantly be a whiny little bitch towards Harvey despite the fact that he's given everything to him on a sell the PLATF.
Speaker 1: You also need to have a drinking game every time somebody says goddamn, yes, holy shit, god damn, goddamn, goddamn.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna have a goddamn drinking Actually, I don't know when it's what. They must have changed the hours, but when they start saying fuck and the beginning, it's like one per episode that they obviously would have been a rule like you're allowed one fuck, and but that only made it more weird that they would still say god damn when exactly know they wanted to say.
Speaker 1: I feel like that, said Nick, this has got to be an inside joke that is using goddamn all the time. It has to be because it's just so it just takes out at the moment going why are they saying goddamn all the time? Everything's goddamn.
Speaker 5: You're a lawyer, you're a grown man, and you're a grown woman. Patrick J. Adams, this is this is a massive digression. Patrick J. Adams, who played Mike Ross on Suits, recently in an interview I was on a podcast, sorry.
Speaker 1: On an episode of his own podcast podcast, It's about Is it about suits?
Speaker 5: It's about of course it is, He said, that Suits walked so that Succession could run off.
Speaker 2: Mate, It's my favorite favorite thing anyone has said in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 5: Ww we like, mate, you walked so Billions could run.
Speaker 1: We stopped watching Billions. I can't watch this tripe anymore. I mean, I love GM Marty, but man, that show went off the rails after about season four.
Speaker 5: They look they made up for a lot with the final season finally okay, but man, I couldn't really, in all seriousness recommend anyone watch it. It would still be like I'll tell you that last the last season is good, but you have to slog through so much shit to get there that it's like, No, if I had my time again, I would have just gone thanks, I'll take the first couple of seasons and then once Bobby's out, I'm out.
Speaker 1: Succession is like the real world version of Billions. Billions was just so far fetched. Succession was still also far fetched to an extent, but I still it's far more believable than what Billions was.
Speaker 5: Yes, but anyway, yeah, that that just is my favorite. Like Suits has been a it's like a six out of ten show. It's not bad, it's.
Speaker 1: Just it's one of those shows that got got on to Netflix when Netflix was just becoming a thing and everyone was like, Oh, I've you stocked out suits? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Actually, what it is whenever someone says that Ai couldn't write a script, Yeah, I reckon it could I reckon AI could bang out the suits and you wouldn't know the difference.
Speaker 1: I wonder how much of the show benefited from Markle dating Prince Harry and everyone discovering the shows it was at going oh show, Yeah, I imagine a lot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I feel my favorite I was gonna say my favorite thing from watching it when you do watch through it all is that everyone's every single conversation, apart from when like eventually someone admits that they're wrong, usually to Donna, every conversation everyone comes in there with the same heightened sense of like I want to fight you? Who I'm going to fight you? Well, this is the goddamn question that you asked. What are you going to do about it?
Speaker 1: Goddamn it?
Speaker 5: That's everything. I'm like, mate, I just want a bagel.
Speaker 1: And the dude from psych h Hill, Yes, his facial expression never changes when he's on suits. His face is the same whether he's angry, whether he's sad. It's just the same, and I'm like, I can't deal. I can't deal. I would be fixated on his face. I'm like, motherfucker, lift those eyebrows up. Do something something.
Speaker 5: You know that threw me the most. Actually, So you got Wendell Pearce, who plays Bunk from the Wire.
Speaker 1: Okay, yes, yeah, yeah, a bunk not not ship man, no, but yeah McNaughty startner ship man. He's in a.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah he is. Does he do a ship in your? Would say, does he do a she in your? I feel like he's so close.
Speaker 1: He does something close going, I like your honor. I was disappointed they didn't renew it for the second season, a third season.
Speaker 5: I was like, third, I haven't watched the second yet.
Speaker 1: The second fine, it's yeah, it's not as good as the first.
Speaker 5: Day the anyway. So Mike Ross and who's the like pretty undiagnosed autistic blonde girl Katrina that they quote the Wire like a dozen times through suits. It's a but he doesn't know that Bunk is his father in law? What the hell? Even then, I was like, no suits, get the don't don't quote the Wire to try to act like you're cool.
Speaker 1: And your better television.
Speaker 5: Yeah, shit out of your mouth quote that was blue.
Speaker 1: They used to throw in the most ridiculous references to shows. It kind of a more obnoxious towards the end. I was like, what, you're just shoehorning in a reference here. No one would actually speak this way. It's ridiculous.
Speaker 5: The Billions did that as well. Where all Billions did towards the end was just speak in like metaphors and movie references and sports references, and everyone has seen and read everything. At what point do you guys make any fucking traits. You've just been sitting there studying the golden age of Hollywood for the last forty years, and more than Guy Davis.
Speaker 1: I love that this show. This has now just evolved into us ranting about the shows that have been on in the time you've been away and how bad they are.
Speaker 5: How Christmas he anyway, house MD, I told you that there's a really good through line about a cop so houses an asshole to a cop played by David Morse, who if you know David Morse, you're nodding at me. But for people that you know, it's not exactly a household name. He's one of the cops in the Green or one of the guards in the.
Speaker 1: Green copies that one of the guards yeah yeah.
Speaker 5: And for the younger generation, I think this was on Netflix recently as well. He is the neighbor in the Shila buff remake of Rear Window.
Speaker 1: Disturbia Disturbia, Yes, the one. Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 5: Anyway, So House is a jerk to this guy and then he gets a vendetta for him. Turns out that he's yeah, he's a cop, and he starts coming at House. He thinks he has a drug addiction. And there's Christmas episode or one of the episodes set at Christmas time. It's called Merry Little Christmas season three. Halfway through and basically Wilson has delivered an ultimatum. So Wilson says, I'm going to testify. I'm going to say that I have been writing you, or that you stole my prescription pattern wrote yourself like it in. But the deal that we've got is that you're not going to go to prison. You just have to go to rehab. Blah blah blah. House throws that back in their face. He then goes cold turkey on Bikerting because he's basically just at home and no one's going to help him anymore. And it's this some really great acting from Q Laurie in it to be perfectly honest. But they're still trying to work on a case as well, so people come in to him, just him going through these various stages of withdrawal. It's you were talking about House always being snarky or like, you know, and it is like it's that formula formulate element of the show where he just keeps making quips and he's wrong and he's wrong, and he's wrong until he's right. And when you watch that day after day, you're like, Okay, it's just the same thing all the time.
Speaker 1: There was wrong, wrong, go see someone in the GP part of the hospital whatever it is season client and goes, oh, I can link your problem to the problem and already trying to solve Fuck.
Speaker 5: That's something they're doing suits all the time as well. Yeah, sorry, is he's just said it?
Speaker 1: They go like bold moment about eighty percent of the way through the episode.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like bold moment, like bulb moment. I've got to go feed my cat.
Speaker 1: What did you just say? Yes, my cat?
Speaker 5: No feed, chicken feed.
Speaker 10: Shacking up the price on chicken feed, and that's why male distributors aren't able to wear off. And the other thing that they do in suits a lot of the time is a blue folder. They'll drop a blue folder on the tage and someone will read it and they'll look at it for like three seconds and it'll be an entire hostile takeover, and like, well, I understand your plan. You have just read the author's name. I can't get off it. I've been holding this back for such a long time. Anyway, it's weird.
Speaker 1: Glad I'm not the only person because Nicola stopped watching it with me because I just kept getting I would be yelling at the screen, like I said, lift your eyebrows. Get so angry about it.
Speaker 5: You're on the West wing, Charlie, shut up.
Speaker 1: Do If you're a fan of everything we do here at four Finger Discount, but you're tired of hearing these pesky ads, then you'll absolutely love being a member of the Forefinger Discamp family on Patreon, where you not only get access to over one hundred hours of bonus podcast, but you also get access to this show early and add free every single week, as well as access to our exclusive Facebook and Discord communities and so much more. So go ahead join the family today and support your pals Guy and Dano for a little as one dollar per month at patreon dot com slash fourthing a discount.
Speaker 5: Maybe it's because all of the eyebrow lifting and gets done by Lewis lipp.
Speaker 1: It does on and this. I hate this.
Speaker 5: The head thing forgot. I know that this is a fuck. It's the editing and the director that like, it's one thing for him to do the choice to make the choice of doing it. Why do they leave the camera rolling they know he's going to do it.
Speaker 1: That's the thing. A fell at the show was trying to fuck with me. By the end, I'm like, they're doing everything that is annoying and they're just doing it more now that they've they clearly have read the reviews and gone now we can give a shit. I just just frustrated me that Lewis lick guy.
Speaker 5: What it did get?
Speaker 1: Fucking suits?
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 1: This out suits to me feels like the kind of show I should say to Nichola, the kind of show that people who want to be the dude from Wolf of Wall Street, that's this is their show. Oh mate, don't don't listen to Rotten Tomatoes. It's just the whole.
Speaker 5: Point four on IMDb.
Speaker 1: I don't know what it is that, whether they live vi character through the characters or something. There's just something about the show that has worked for majority of the audienors. But man, I just couldn't We went through because I when Nicola were seven seasons through, we have to finish this now I can't just not finish it. Yeah, but man, oh, man, and he's getting Harvey's getting his own spin off now. Oh, I think it's a prequel to Suits the Main it's the main guy, Harvey.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, Harvey Spector. Will they get Gabriel Mack to play him, but they'll do the entire thing. And this is my other favorite Suits trope. Whenever they do a flashback that they will put the teams blue filter on, Yeah, to make sure you know it's a flashback, like just in case. Yes, we the wig didn't give it away that we're ten years ago now.
Speaker 1: So Pierce and She got her own show, which got canceled pretty quickly.
Speaker 5: I don't understand when, like in the scene before, Harvey was a senior partner that now now he's only just now he's now he's just in the mail room. How the continuity doesn't make sense? Oh they put a filter on for me. I get it now, that's what he used to do. Oh now we're back in present day. Thank you suits anyone that reviewed it, that's how imagine anyone reviewed it positively. That's what they sound like. And then they gave their TV a big.
Speaker 1: Couple like bagging. It's called suits La. It's not. It's not a prequel at all. I was incorrect.
Speaker 5: It's enough.
Speaker 1: His Garrison is and Stephen Rmel.
Speaker 5: Who the fuck's that Arrow? Ah? Yeah, that's I.
Speaker 1: Think it's because it looks like Mike. It's like we're gonna get actors that look like these guys.
Speaker 5: Arrow could also have been written by AI, so that make sense.
Speaker 1: Josh McDermott is in there the dufust from Walking Dead. It was lying in the third season or whatever. It is like I know, I know where the lab is. I'm a scientist or whatever. And he wasn't actually a scientist.
Speaker 5: Ah that guy? Yeah right. Gabriel Mack Noh yeah, okay, So Gabriel Mack is in it as Harvey Spector.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so maybe he maybe he's just gonna be in a few episodes. Who knows, like they'll they'll have some sort of crossover, but I think they're trying to create like a Law and Order multiverse, probably with suits. Yeah, okay, doesn't have the old Dick Wolf stamp of approval though, so good luck.
Speaker 5: He's not going to be able to get a bagel if he's in La Whatt's his go to morning tea going to be? Sorry? The other thing, Oh yeah, right, sorry, Josh mcdermot's had a haircut, so he doesn't look anything like what he did in Walking Dead. Okay, the other thing from Suits, and I can only imagine that it was like, well, we've paid for these locations and these sets, we're going to use them. That ninety percent of it was people coming to say one's house to have a conversation that should have been a phone call, Like someone rocks up at your house at ten thirty at night to say three lines and.
Speaker 1: Leave and then just fucking and just walk off exactly, Yeah, walking and throw the blue folder on the on the table, walk out.
Speaker 5: Like when did suits? When did suits there? It wasn't twenty eleven people had phones, it was It wasn't nineteen ninety.
Speaker 1: Seven, especially rich people.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, they were the first ones. They would have had six of them.
Speaker 1: Well, I see I live suits at the start because it was you know, it was a regular show in the sense that each episode just felt like it lived in its own bubble where they had to crack a case. By the end of it, it was just all, like you said, angst in house drama that had nothing, but they were burning their own house down from within. He's just like, what the fuck is going on?
Speaker 5: It was also a lot of they couldn't get themselves away from their will they won't they storyline, And if it wasn't will they won't they about Mike and the Princess Duchess thank you Rachel, then it was well they won't they about will might get caught? Well, they won't they about Like everything was just like, let's take this dilemma and as soon as you think it's over, we'll reintroduce it and just keep repeating again and again.
Speaker 1: And when they brought him back and it was like even more annoying.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then Catherine heikeel comes out of nowhere and isn't bad. But all it does now is served to remind you of how weird of a career blow up Catherine Heichel had.
Speaker 1: Apparently it was her own doing though, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: More or less like she just kept not kept, But she had a couple of fairly famous instances of shitting on people that she worked with.
Speaker 1: I was reading like, hard to deal with, hard to work with. Once you've got I feel like, once you've got that rep, it's really hard to get rid of it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like you'd want to be very very good. You can't just be middle of the road good.
Speaker 1: Tom Cruise could be Tom Cruise could be hard to work with totally.
Speaker 5: Meryl Street could be hard to work with. I doubt she is, but she could be. She could be a bitch to everyone. Yeah, it's the price you pay. It's Meryl stoop. Anyway, I am going to go start putting together a trampoline. Oh biggest Christmas gift for Lex which I'm looking forward to. Is it a big one, decent size? Yeah, like it's it will serve her for many years.
Speaker 1: Nice. We would, we would, but kids are one of my parents plays. But the backyard's just too small here. They would just literally be you know, because we've got the big deck and they've got the cover over the deck now, so it's just yeah, there's no way way to put it.
Speaker 5: Good for catching practice though, for Elliott, even if you just go down to the dad's love a couple of balls that way.
Speaker 1: He watches Bluey Obviously he's watched the cricket episode. So now he's practicing all these different shots, like like I'm rusty, but he yesterday we're playing in the backyard and the backyard's not very big, but twelve balls when over fences and the neighbors just throw He just knows the cricket kid in the neighborhood now they just throw the balls back.
Speaker 5: Actually, the other good you might not be able to do it with modern trampolines and the side walls, but I used to find really good catching practice was trying to skim a tennis ball across the trampoline. Yeah, so makee nice down on either side of it, like it's a little slips cradle, because just depending on your angles, you could get some real pop or you could get a couple that would just shoot low. How old is Elliott again?
Speaker 1: Six six?
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, so a couple of years away from like Milo, Well, I know you'd be able to do milo blasters and that sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we didn't know about it until this was too late. So yeah, he hasn't that any of that yet, but he will next year.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Also talk to me about which which clubs in Geelong are not full of dickheads.
Speaker 1: When the time comes, and before we go, we shall remind the listeners that you shall be returning. We're going to do a review. We will do it on the Oh come on, oh your faithful.
Speaker 5: Come on, oh your faithful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're doing a review of that. I did read out a review from a screen rant and they called it something absolutely ridiculous. You know, I find with modern day Simpsons a lot of screen rants, and that just really talk it up because I feel a lot of the show's creators now are constantly on social media, just looking for any praise they can find to retweet and reshare in their personal pages. So all these pages, all these websites like screen rant and comic book dot com, they just overinflate the egos of these people to say it's like the greatest thing, and it's just like it's not. It's fine, it's okay, it's not the greatest. What was What was there one line of some of the lines of was one of the greatest. Here we go the Simpsons Christmas version review screen rant oh, come on all year Faithful is an unforgettable master class an animated comedy storytelling, an unforgettable masterclass. Come on, guys, it's fine. It's a solid six. It's not a modern day master class. What are we doing here?
Speaker 5: You'd marry, you'll marry a solid six.
Speaker 1: But anyway, but our review will not be that.
Speaker 5: I was on the Disney Plus and I didn't know how long has season one not been season one? For in the listing? Season one is like season ninety nine. They buried it way down the bottom of Disney, not on mine. I don't know why yours of mine would be any different.
Speaker 1: Let me go to the Disney Plus. The kids were watching the original Christmas episode two days ago, and I defined it the first episode. It was just their season one. This has been a glitch because so many people are trying to watch it. Let's have a look. Let's go to watch list Simpsons. I'm going to now episode season You are right, the season one's gone. What the heck you had to season ninety nine? Yeah, that must have happened in the last twenty four to forty eight hours.
Speaker 5: Yeah, right, really bizarre, like this strange to hide it, I'm going to screenshop that and put it on the page and be like, what's up?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, what the fuck? Also, that is weird what happens when The Simpsons inevitably gets to season ninety nine.
Speaker 1: Because they're going to get there. Yeah, you'll never stop the Simpsons. All right, it's been nice. You shall be returning with the review of the Christmas Special. But until then, the Us.
Speaker 5: By the way, I told I'll be fifteen minutes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Nicholas waiting for me. Sure should be a sleep by time I get there. Did Alright, We are back now for the final segment of the twenty twenty four for We're Gonna Gain Christmas Special, and our lovely friend Jet has joined us, hasn't he. Oh? The goodest of good boys. Jet is the one constant sort of of this show. He was here on the floor we recorded the first episode ten years later. If we do the Christmas Special in twenty four, he's sitting on the floor at my feet. He's just always been there. Ah, oh boy, God, lovely eyes Jet. It's a beautiful, beautiful dog. That's right, buddy, I'm looking. I'm talking about you. Yeah, Babe, I know, babe, I know it. We're gonna answer some of your mail bag questions just to wrap up this one as well. Before actually we get into the mailbay, let's talk about what our goals for twenty twenty five. For me, it's efficiency. Let's get this studio sworded, get everything released, get just just make this machine a more well oiled machine. That's my goal for twenty twenty five. That's a good one. It was an exciting plan. So stay tuned. Yes, indeed, stay tuned. I think my goal for twenty twenty four, I mean something I did during twenty five, My goal for twenty twenty five. Something I did during twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Was actually sit down and complete a writing project from Go to Whoa and.
Speaker 1: Realize, E, look, this was hard, but not as hard as I thought it. Wait, go and he wrote Whoa and in between plus stab two prout there anyway, but no, actually realize, Oh, if you do the work, you'll have done the work. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I think twenty twenty five is going to be of doing the work.
Speaker 1: Yes, getting it all done, but Yeah, four figure just can be very new and exciting in twenty twenty five. Lots of exciting plans and I can't wait too finally implement them. Just getting everything in order. But we asked for some of the words question, Mitch is back. Mitch is back. Some would say not better than ever, but who knows. So we've got some mailbag questions from your from you all out there, the patrons, the guys who support us, git the lights on here at the four figure Discant Network. Maddie Science says, what's your favorite Simpsons related Christmas memory? Favorite Simpsons Christmas moment and then overall episode? Well, if you listen to our review of Miracle on Evergreen Terrace, you know that's not my favorite. My favorite is Marge be not proud, but I do think that's the better Christmas special. The first episode of the Simpsons is just fantastic, just the way they get sands of a helper and it's beautiful. Favorite Simpsons related Christmas memory well, I remember getting a Simpsons season box it from my nan. I think it might have been season one. It was just like, oh my god, the Simpsons a DVD that was great and all you know those moments when you're a Christmas when you're a kidd and it's Christmas time and you think I really want this, but I'm probably not going to get it, and then your parents come through and they get it for you. For me, it was behind you. I've still got them. The season one VHS collection, Oh my Goodness, thirteen episodes across three VHS takes for the lovel of price of fifty nine ninety five. But I remember getting that and I my mum is saying it's too expensive, you can't get it, throw me off Red Herring the fake out, Yeah, just psych and then opened on present. It was there. I couldn't believe. I was like, I think that it was too much. She goes, oh, no, I was just checking, just checking you out. Good on your mom. I'm gonna double. Uh what's the word.
Speaker 2: I'm looking a second, That's what I'm gonna second. What Dana said about March Bead I Proud being the best Christmas episode Simpsons run Christmas Memories. This is sort of Christmas adjacent because I think it was towards the end of the year, near Christmas time. But I remember I was I was singing all the stage. I was hanging out with my friend savvy Steve, just chilling on his couch, you know, probably drinking and maybe even smoking stuff like cigarettes, not not jazz cigarettes, but regular cigarettes.
Speaker 1: And enjoying like a hello jet, jet's getting very friendly. Hey there, buddy, I see his tail was waging. He's like like your near, Oh buddy, you're gonna run out the dog with a dog with a sausage in his mouth and the come back here with that.
Speaker 5: I need it.
Speaker 2: And just watching a bunch of Simpson's episodes, yeah them from the late afternoon into me I wouldn't say that for a good few hours, and just you know, feeling very at peace with the world. I think that was probably when my love the Last Tentpation.
Speaker 1: Of Homer came from. You love that episode. I love that episode.
Speaker 2: And I think that's maybe, if not the first time I watched it, and certainly the first time, that I really appreciate, because I think there's a difference.
Speaker 1: The first time watching it first time understanding or not understand, but it's appreciated it because.
Speaker 2: I remember just laughing like a loon at that. So yeah, that's a that's a good memory.
Speaker 1: All right. Rach Beasley says, what's been your best or favorite moment this year? Any news resolutions? So we've talked about news resolutions, but what's been our favorite of the year. There have been some standouts. I mean a lot of people keep bringing up there. I know it was this year, but the Devil's Advocate ding Ding Ding Ding, that was great. I've mentioned it recently. I loved our discussion on the Trojan Horse in the South Great. We discussed that in our South Park season wrap up. Many particular favorite moments for you just on the podcast Just in Life.
Speaker 2: I know what you mean, Yeah, I mean, but this is podcast related. I like that we sort of expanded the four Finger Discount universe to be talking about because we you know, we talk about the Simpsons in South Park and all these various shows and that. But you know, a lot of our a lot of our personal life has been coming corporated into the shows, but also just the everyday ship that we do, particularly around Geelong. I mean a lot of people listening around the world, going these local references.
Speaker 1: For local people, what the hell are they talking to you? Pale faced guy and pale guys. The fact that you know, he becomes the characters, a supporting character in the in the fourth.
Speaker 2: But yeah, the fact that I would say, oh, because you know, this coal supermarket is what maybe what three or four k from.
Speaker 1: Five minute drive. Yeah, as as a lot of playing places in Geelong, it's a five minute drive from from when you're closer to the city we've called the city. It's just everything's close.
Speaker 2: But this supermarket is close to both where Dandel and I live. We both frequent it. And I said, there's this guy really good at his job. I'm talking about the pale guy. I think it's one of the good things about living in I mean, Geelong likes to build itself. It's a regional city, so it's not a small town. But having said that, it does have a little bit of a small town mentality in that everybody can't not everybody knows everybody, but there's three degrees.
Speaker 1: Of separation opposed to sex.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the fact that you know, we're able to say pale guy and you know who pale guy is, I think is great. It's something that I just think it adds something nice to the show. It does and to our conversation.
Speaker 1: And then you brought up weird Maskid and and then then and then there's weird maskd Fuck that guy. No, No, he's cool as well, but he's not. He's no Pale Guy. He doesn't help you. No, he's like if I must, But Pale Guy's like, who help? Who help? He's who you want on your team. Oh, he's a self start of that guy. He's he's the one where they everyone just knows. I'm Colin sick. I'll call Pale Guy. He'll feeling for me. He's fast tracked. That guy. He's on the management track. He'll be he'll be running the joint eventually, has to be. You can tell me every supermarke you go to, he's gonna be running the shot one day.
Speaker 2: So, as they say in the classics, God bless us everyone, but especially Pale Guy.
Speaker 1: Like I said when I saw him out of his habitat when he was walking the dog that day, I was like, it's Pale Guy. He's like walking into doing try and teach it on the street. And I was like, he's a real person. He's escaping captivity. He's a wild he's got a rogue. I long for the day where I go to like Aldert and he's like shopping at the competition. I'm like, they fucked him. They don't know they're gonna He's got this snarl on his face, pal Guy. That's probably my favorite to Yeah, the creation of Pale Guy.
Speaker 2: The shirts the expansion pack for the four finger discame.
Speaker 1: We should get shirts of his face on it. I'll see you like a photo and walk through super markets taken to realize it got Pale Guy before we can discount. I've got a competition, right, final thing for the day before we let you, guys go four twenty twenty four, go enjoy your Christmas. Oh yeah, competition prize TBD. There'll be a good prize, you said, DVD TBD. I want you guys, you listeners, and I'm serious about this. Draw a picture of what you think Pale Guy looks like. If you any of you have seen the movie Pale Labor appends Labyrinth, he doesn't look like that pale man. I know. So draw a piece of human being for goodness sake, draw a picture of what you think Pale Guy looks like. And there will be two prizes, one for the most accurate and one for the most hilarious. Yes, so we're gonna ask the two prizes one for the most accurate and one for the most ridiculous and hilarious. So send them through to mail bag a four figure discount dot com dot a you're just DM them me if you're a patron of ours on the on the on the Facebook page, what you think pale guy looks like over the holiday break, Because we're going to be back doing new shows again. We've got them on the can about mid jan So you got to mid Jane to draw pale guy. Guys left. He's like, I've had enough of this guys, guy who wants to go finished. It's like you said, this would be the last bit. Anything else you want to say to the listeners before we before we go.
Speaker 2: I just want to say, look, to all the listeners, thank you so much for tuning in, putting up with my nonsense and of course Dando's expertise. To the patrons, thank you so much, as we say, for keeping the lights on, keeping the wolf from the door. You honestly are keeping the lights on in my place, and I really really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: You You're all one hundredercent in my cool book.
Speaker 2: To the love of Louise, I love you. Thank you for being part of this show, albeit briefly.
Speaker 1: She's real game.
Speaker 2: To the Dando family, I wish you nothing but a very merry Christmas, a happy New Year, and my main man, Brenda Dano, thank you brother.
Speaker 1: It's a great it's a great pleasure to be another year done, another year. That's a great pleasure, have another year out of the way, one year close to the grave.
Speaker 5: Things.
Speaker 1: God, what's actually exciting between twenty five is we're really in the weeds now of the Simpsons, so I can see twenty twenty five being a ramp field season. Oh my goodness. Fun. I love reviewing stuff that deserves credit and giving it good praise. I love just ratting and stuff because I'm passionate about the Simpsons and you're gonna hear about it.
Speaker 2: You're going to hear about it. And yeah, so that's what I'm going to say. But a very merry Christmas and holidays.
Speaker 1: Hope you celebrate it.
Speaker 2: I was going to say all that, Yeah, okay, let's start by saying a happy holiday season to everyone, however whichever way you celebrated. Personally, I'm a merry Christmas. Guards Why I am going to throw out merry Christmas to you? A Happy New Year to everyone, a joyful, fulfilling and productive twenty twenty five to us all.
Speaker 1: Well, thank You're going to as a guys said ditto to you, mister Davis. All you've said, you said all the good stuff. They're going to repeat it. You're much more articulate with your words, so I just say ditto back to you. Happy Christmas, Merry Christmas to you and all the lovely family. I just said a lot of words down. I brought this incerity. There's one being missed for the for the Christmas special, Margaret Mary. That would have been just the icing on the cake getting Margaret Mary in. It would have been you're still doing that podcast business. Get a proper job? Can we get her?
Speaker 2: Saying first of all, apologies to my beloved mother for doing for doing that voice.
Speaker 1: You always do the exact same voice though, it's like you've got that in your in you that's my mum. Boys, that's because that's my mum. Yeah, it's because we're related. M Margaret Mary. I love you very much and think she would ever record a little ten seconds for the show. I think, what what are you doing? You'd be so confused, but be so appreciated about the listeners, though, I imagine. So look, I'll try to get something in the next couple five years from now, be something to look back on and go, I'm so glad we did that. I'll do my best, but yeah, shout out to Margaret Mary. Yes, shout out to Margaret Mary. Shout to you. Listen, mister Davis, any final words for those incredible listeners out there, See you next year.