Speaker 1: All right, let's get it started.
Speaker 2: Hay hump day and welcome in to Kentucky and his morning news coffee and company here on news Radio eight forty whas Nick Coffee. That's me full crew in the house today. Let's do a roll call. We've got Scott Fitzgerald here, We've got the company man, John Alden, and we have John Shannon here as well as another hot one on the way.
Speaker 1: And it does look like Thursday.
Speaker 2: And Friday are going to be not just better than what we've had the last few days, but pretty pretty cool, I think comparatively speaking as far as which you typically get in late July early August.
Speaker 1: Then I looked at is it is it really July thirtieth?
Speaker 3: It is?
Speaker 1: It can't be it is, brother, It's the end.
Speaker 4: I mean you all, thank god New Alny schools are going back today.
Speaker 1: Oh man, they're back.
Speaker 2: Just gave me a little anxiety I get back to school. I swear the back to school just anxiousness. It still sits with me like I'm a seventh grader. Scott, I don't know what it is, but just the oh man, when summer breaks coming to an end, and I talked about it, earlier this week when you start to see those back to school commercials, you walk into Walmart or wherever, and that's all you see is they got the school supplies, they got sales for the clothes and whatnot. And it just I've been out of the public school system for a long time as a student. But I'm not sure if that that anxiousness and just that I guess the dread it's always.
Speaker 1: Going to be there. I think, Well, John, your wife's a teacher, is she right or wrong?
Speaker 2: Bye?
Speaker 1: Way, Well, this whole.
Speaker 4: Week she's she's got three days of meetings of trainings for the upcoming years, so she's she's getting back into the swing of things.
Speaker 3: Wow, so many schedules you have to adjust, so many things you have to get used to. Even my wife said last night to your point Nick, along those same line. She goes, how is it the end.
Speaker 1: Of July already? I can't believe it, she said, The.
Speaker 3: Summer is over. Before you know what, we'll be talking about Christmas shopping.
Speaker 1: In a month.
Speaker 2: It'll be college football season like actually you know here games like it's crazy.
Speaker 1: Do you pay a lie? Do both of you guys pay a lot of attention to Week zero.
Speaker 4: Oh, I love Week zero is as much as the games are not super exciting, it's just kind of like that appetizer for the rest of the college football season, and it's you have the game that they do annually up in Ireland now and even if again, even if the matchup isn't fun, it's still nice to know that that's kind of the new mark for the beginning of college football season.
Speaker 2: It's the opening act and it's it's usually underwhelming, as John mentioned, as far as the games the matchups, but it's the sign that it's here, and it's a nice way to kind of ease in.
Speaker 1: And I've always said this.
Speaker 2: If I was if I was a fan of a team that played in Week zero, I would love it because you do it.
Speaker 1: First of all, you get to start earlier.
Speaker 2: And also you really get a bigger opportunity to make some kind of a statement just based off the fact that it's usually actually usually games themselves are standalone. Now the weekend is not because you'll have maybe three to four games, but when people are hungry and just you know, starving for college football to get here, they'll watch any game when it's Week zero, no matter who it is, and if you've got a chance to really get in front of a big audience, and let's be real, college football perception matters. I still believe Notre Dame two years ago when Louisville got and when they came to Cardinal Stadium, those the year's Hartman was there, they beat the breaks off of I think it was Navy in Ireland and that led to them getting a nice splash to start the season and I think that was a factor and then being a top ten team when they came to town. So I think there's benefits to playing in Week zero and yeah, week zero is. It's what it does is just gives us a shorter offseason.
Speaker 3: Essentially, to your point, I was gonna tell you, as you realize now this Saturday is the last Saturday without football until the middle of February.
Speaker 1: And now you're getting excited. You get excited. I mean, that's unbelievable, now, you know.
Speaker 3: And then coming up Thursday, we had the Hall of Fame game. Between the lines. I would not expect much from either team in that game. But to your point, it's just nice to hear the theme music again.
Speaker 1: You're gonna turn your TV.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be a lot of NFL game, but it is a regular season game.
Speaker 1: But it's it's it's real.
Speaker 2: And that's that's exciting. It's tomorrow, Yes, it is. My goodness, I can't wait. I can't wait. All right, we were loaded today here on a Wednesday, certainly a lot to get into. We've got another note that was found on the suspect who showed up in New York over the weekend and then of course carried out an awful act, killing many people. And we also now know that he got off the wrong He got on the wrong elevator, which led him to not get where he wanted to go. And just the thought of what would have happened had he got on the right elevator and ended up where he wanted to be, which was the NFL offices inside that building. Just a really, really scary, scary situation. Also a big time earthquake overnight that we can certainly discuss, and a lot to get into. As we were up and running, happy humped, everybody, hope you stay with us for the next three hours and fifty one minutes because we've got a lot to get to and we'll have some fun along the way. It's Kentucky, and it's morning News, Coffee and Company on news radio eight forty WHS. Sometimes I feel like I'm a little bit dramatic when it comes to the heat, because as much as I am just sharing facts when it comes to you know, the temperature outside and the heat index and whatnot, I do have at least some awareness that I complain about it whenever I'm someone that doesn't have to actually be out and about working in it. And there's a lot of people, probably even people that are are five o'clockers, that get up and start their day early, and I'm sure you can do a lot of different types of work, depending know, regardless of what your schedule is. But I know how that comes off to some people, so I try not to do it as much and always acknowledge that, hey, here I am complaining, and yet you guys actually are out there in these conditions making a living, and you're a lot tougher than I am. But I do feel, I guess less like a wimp whenever I see numbers and facts that actually really put in perspective just how brutal this current heat wave is here in Louisville, Kentucky. So the heat index is essentially what it feels like outside, and I think most people listening know what that is. Temperatures have been hot, but where it really gets you is just the stick humidity. And yesterday I was walking out of kindergarten kickoff, which we went to yesterday for my son, which that's one of those things with this I'm happy that the school that the summer is wrapping up because I'm over this heat. I'm ready for college football. But he starts kindergarten soon, which is good because we don't have to pay for daycare anymore. But also it's just sad because he's I'm just watching him walk around yesterday. He's so excited and and you know, he sees some of his friends from daycare, some of his friends from his football team, and it just, you know, it makes me kind of sad that he's growing up.
Speaker 1: But anyways, we're walking out of.
Speaker 2: There yesterday, probably about I don't know, about six o'clock, and that walk from the building we were at to the vehicle was just I mean, I remember thinking, I think I might remember this for the rest of my life because I'm not sure if I've ever been outside where it felt just that humid and just that gross. And I don't know if that's a fact as far as it being like a record, but yesterday's heat in decks as far as just the now national comparison, Tampa Bay, Florida and Orlando that is where it was the worst. We're talking peak heat index between one hundred and thirteen and one hundred and eighteen degrees, and then Savannah, Georgia one hundred and ten to one hundred and fifteen, and then after that it's US. It's Louisville, Kentucky. When it comes to just heat indecks specifically, not temperature, and I think that one hundred and something degrees, but the heat index in the humidity being low, to me, I might notice a difference. In fact, I wouldn't notice a difference, but like, that's still hot as hell. Like I remember, I've told the story before I went at Phoenix for the first time years ago, and I'd always heard.
Speaker 1: It's a dry heat.
Speaker 2: It's a dry heat, And I'm thinking, Okay, well, I don't know what the hell that means, but I guess I'll find out. I guess, you know, I'll find out for myself. If temperatures being substantially higher at times, but the heat indecks being lower. It's that's the preferable temperature. And I remember I was at outside at like six am West Coast time, walking to my rental car leaving the airport, and within about fifteen seconds of being outside, dry heat, wet heat whatever, I was soaking, wet and sweat. I mean, it was, you know. So I don't, I don't. I don't really have a preference. I mean, I'm sure if you gave me two and I could pick on the spot, I would.
Speaker 1: There's one, I would take over the other. But to me, hot as hell, as hot as hell.
Speaker 2: But yeah, the heat in decks yesterday one oh five between one o five and one oh nine, and that's that's brutal, very brutal. So again, be prepared Today. Probably not gonna be much different. But the cool weather is on the way, and we may feel like we're in the Arctic temp you know, we may feel like it's Christmas time. Whenever we get the cooler temperatures.
Speaker 1: Might get your tree out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I'm pretty sure like Saturday Friday evening, I'm pretty sure it's going to be like in the upper sixties. Maybe that's more so like overnight and if it's not humid, that's going to feel like heaven. I may wake up in the middle of the night, just go outside and see what it feels like, because it's been a while since we've had weather like that. All right, it's Kentucky. It's morning News Coffee and Company, Nick Coffee with you. We've got an update of Traffick and.
Speaker 1: Weather coming your way.
Speaker 2: Bobby Ellis will get a straightened out on the Trafvick situation so far this morning. Also, Matt Melosavich, he'll give us the facts as far as what we can expect when it comes to the temperature's heat index and all that, so stick with us. Also, another sports update coming your way. In fact, our first sports update of the morning is on the way in just about four and a half minutes right here on News Radio eight forty whas. Thank you very much, John Shannon. It is five point thirty five here Kentucky and his morning News Coffee and Company with you here on News radio eight forty whas. Nick Coffee. That's me the company man. John Olden is alongside and you could take us with you wherever you go. You can listen live on the iHeartRadio app. Also listen live at whas dot com. Don't forget about the talkback feature. I need to start mentioning it more because I sometimes neglected and that's totally totally my fault. So it does make sense that the more you know you mentioned it, the more people are aware of it, and then the more they utilize it.
Speaker 1: So again, it's there. It's within the app.
Speaker 2: Just click the microphone button and you can record whatever you want. I believe you get thirty seconds of time and as soon as you finish, it comes right to us and we can access it and play it on the air if in fact you know it's something worth playing. And just be reminded, like there's certain things you say that like, we do have to still follow. This is not a podcast, this is live radio. Therefore we have to follow, you know, rules, There's certain things you can and can't say on the radio. All right, So the Manhattan shooter, as far as what we know now that maybe we did not know yesterday, when it comes to this individual who twenty seven years old, former football player that drove across the drove across the country over the weekend and then, of course on Monday, took out just a hainous act where he shot and killed four people, including himself. And it's clear that he was targeting the NFL headquarters inside that building, and the report that came out yesterday afternoon is just kind of I don't want to act as if the NFL folks are more important than the others that are in that building that work for a different industry and whatnot, but it's just he had it. The mindset from this individual seemed to be that he was going there to maybe take out anybody and everybody he could that was in that building because they worked for the NFL. And it sounds as if he got off the wrong elevator or got on the wrong elevator which led to him not being I guess where.
Speaker 1: He needed to be and wanted to be.
Speaker 2: And again there's already lives that have been lost and at least I think two people still fighting for their lives in one of those people as an NFL employee. So just an awful situation. But here is New York Mayor Eric Adams. Yesterday, this was his appearance on a I believe a radio show in New York City.
Speaker 1: I truly always believe that there would be a day. In fact, that's not the right sound apologies here, it is.
Speaker 2: We have reason to believe that he was focused on the NFL.
Speaker 5: Agency that was located in the building.
Speaker 2: So he claims that the NFL is untouchable, and he also claims that he has CTE and that that claim is unproven at this point, and I think determining I guess more about this. This this guy's life leading up to him making this decision to do what he did. I mean, I hate to say it, because there's still something that I just can't quite get comfortable with when it comes to expressing on this platform that I'm interested in people who do these kind of things because you know, they don't deserve our time and attention because they're awful human beings. However, I mean it, you can't help but want to know what would lead somebody to take out to do something like this. I mean, it's it's just, you know, something I certainly can't relate to. But yeah, the NFL did confirm Roger Goodell that, as you heard it in the news update there from John Channon, that they did confirm that one of their employees was one of the ones that was shot and is still fighting fighting for their life. Now what we also know is there was another note that was found, but this note was I think it was just a yeah, it was, it was a second note. They found it at his home in Vegas and it was described as an apology to his parents, So I'm sure they'll be you know, well, when these kind of things happen, usually it doesn't take too long before every little detail about these these awful people that do these things we find out. And then sometimes you don't, and then it makes you think, Okay, how in the world could like the person who attend to assassinate Trump, we still.
Speaker 1: Know very little about that individual.
Speaker 2: And that's just, you know, that's just unusual given that you know, you can typically, like the Internet has people who will be web sluts and find out really any bit of information that they can on somebody. So you would think that, you know, law enforcement people that have access and resources that most don't have, would be able to figure more out. But yeah, the the uh, this guy was looking to probably take out anybody and everybody he could, specifically that was in that building that worked for the NFL, and maybe in the end it's a blessing in disguise that it wasn't worse because you know, maybe he didn't end up doing what he intended as far as just the magnitude of it, because he knew he was in the wrong spot. But yeah, just just awful news. All right, let's talk to Rory O'Neil who joined us. Coming up here in just a few minutes, Roy O'Neil of NBC. But first, another update on the roadways from Bobby Ellis and another update on the forecast with Matt Mellosa bit right here on News radio eight forty whas. Good morning, Kentucky. Anna, This is Kentucky and his morning news coffee and company Nick Coffee with you here on.
Speaker 1: News radio eight forty whas.
Speaker 2: And we now welcome in Rory O'Neal of NBC News and Rory, when it comes to artificial intelligence, it is growing really like nothing i've ever seen before. I think, just the awareness of it, folks realizing not only is it a potential threat to what you do for a living and maybe dangerous, it can also be very very useful for folks. But when it comes to college students today, they can lean on AI to help them when it comes to their work, but also knowing how to use it can be a fundamental skill that can maybe even help them in maybe the first career path they decide to go down. What can you tell us as far as just how that's being handled. There's no scenario where college professors can tell you, yeah, we just ignore that.
Speaker 1: It's clearly going to be here for a while.
Speaker 5: Well, right, And look, this is on a couple different fronts. Right, You've got the college professors concerned that kids are sort of skating through by letting programs do the work for them, letting AI do the homework be this generation's cliffs notes, I guess. But there's the other side too, where all right, let's see this as a tool, and then who's going to know how to wield that tool? Right? Half of students believe that learning how to use AI is the most important skill they'll gain while in college. According to this new pullout, today, sixty two percent believe that learning how to use AI responsibly will actually be essential for their future careers. Because look, as much as you know, you don't want war and peace to be summarized by some program when you do get out into the real world. These programs are going to be available and there won't be a professor saying you can't use that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think if you are someone that's just resistant of it for whatever the reason is, and you are someone that is a young enough professional, that you will likely be in the workforce for a long time because you're not retiring anytime So I'm not really sure anybody is going to be retiring anytime soon in the grand scheme of things. But I just I feel like there's been a shift in a major way in really just the last few months.
Speaker 1: As far as just hey, this is here to stay. This isn't going anywhere.
Speaker 2: It's going to be very much directly involved in what a lot of us do moving forward.
Speaker 5: Well, right, and then how do we use it? And look, these nineteen twenty twenty one year olds going through college and coming out, they're the ones who are going to shape this stuff going forward, right, you know, these will be the tech titans of the future who will mold AI and they're the ones who are going to steer it away from taking over the world. But as of right now, this Grammarly survey found that nearly half the students use it for brainstorming. That's how they use AI currently. They'll use it for spelling and grammar check and things like that. I thought it was interesting that nearly a third said that they use AI to ask questions they would otherwise be embarrassed to ask the professor in front of the class.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. I wouldn't have thought of that.
Speaker 2: But that's really what AI for my end is when I'm just fascinated to hear of all the ways people have learned or maybe just been made aware of of how they could use this to help them, right. I mean, it can turn your brain to mush if you're not really doing much critical thinking and you're just relying on it for information. But it could also get your brain working a little bit, which that's that's.
Speaker 1: Something I've really thought about.
Speaker 5: Yeah, about a quarter of them say they use it to create study car note cards other study tools. They'll have AI quiz them, you know, on subject material, rather than have AI summarize it for them. They'll say, no, you know, I've got a test on Warren Peace tomorrow, give me give me a practice exam.
Speaker 2: That kind of thing, And that can be useful in a major way. I can certainly see that. Royan Hill of NBC News is our guest joining us here on News Radio eight forty whas let's talk about stress. Big companies like Procter and Gamble always do in market research on the habits of Americans, and their latest study has revealed some surprising results related to the stress that Americans face today.
Speaker 1: What can you tell us about that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Procter and Gamble is out whether it's quarterly results yesterday, and what they're finding is consumers are under stress. And they've said that consumers right now, are you tapping into their pantry inventory right clearing off the shelves before going to the store to buy stuff. They say that there are concerns once they get to the store, they'll buy too much other stuff that's out there, which is why Procter and Gamble thinks that sales. You know, P and G is behind stuff like Tide and Charm and and you know they make those consumer staples that we all go to the grocery store in order to get, and P and G is warning that, Yeah, consumers are tightening their wallets. Yes, at the low end, but also at the high end.
Speaker 1: Makes sense.
Speaker 2: That doesn't surprise me at all. Rory is always appreciate your time, Enjoy your day and we will talk soon.
Speaker 5: Thanks Meg.
Speaker 2: All right, that's Rory and Ey NBC News always enjoy has always enjoyed the conversation and certainly appreciate his time. He's a busy guy, but he makes time for us each and every morning, and we certainly appreciate that. All right, let's get to another update on the roadways. Bobby Ellis would tell us how traffic's looking so far this morning. We'll get a update for Matt Melosovich on the forecast, and Scott Fitzgerald is back for another with another update on sports. As we roll along here, it is five fifty one here at News Radio eight forty w h A S