Speaker 1: We return again to Phyllis White, who had some more delightful information about the shell Lockholmes radio broadcasts.
Speaker 2: Willis Rathbone and Bruce were making films and they had just one day off per week for the radio work. They received the scripts a couple of days early to look over if they had time, and they would turn up at the studio every the afternoon of broadcast day. The first reading would be rather slow and broken up as there was discussion and maybe a few changes. Then there would be a reading for timing to fit to the exact number, and then it's available. It was more likely to be too long than too short. Edna would flip over a few pages out a couple of words here and a couple on another page, and it would miraculously come out exact to a minute. And so they went through the rest of the afternoon. The tempo and pressure increase and the show sharpened up. At the end of the afternoon they went on the air for the Eastern United States. Then there was a couple of hours break and everybody would go out to dinner. Then they would come back and do it all over again for the West Coast.
Speaker 3: I feel very.
Speaker 2: Thankful now that these live and ephemeral shows were captured on disk and that they could now reach a new audience.
Speaker 1: Now he's going to listen. I as we listened to the Iron Box.
Speaker 4: This episode from the life of Sherlock Holmes will be transmitted to our men and women overseas by short wave and the world wide facilities of the Armed Forces Radio Service.
Speaker 5: Pat pre Wine brings you.
Speaker 4: Dazzle, Left Bone and Nigel Bruce the new adventures of Sherlock Hole. The Petrie family, the family that took time to bring you good wine, invites you to listen to Doctor Watson tell us another exciting adventure he shared with his old friends at Master Detective Cherlock Hole. Well, this is New Year's Eve, and I wish you could be here with us this evening so we could toast each other with a glad Petrie California Port. As you know, fort wine has long been a favorite wine for celebrating a happy occasion. That's because port is a wine rich in tradition, and you couldn't ask for a more delicious port. Petreport. Petre Port is a deep, glowing red color, beautiful to look at and wonderful to taste, with a hearty full flavor. That's right from the heart of the great And when you serve petri port to your friends tonight or any time, remember you can serve it proudly because the name Tree is the proudest name in the history of a muk and wine. And now I'm sure Doctor Watson's waiting for us, so let's drop in and see.
Speaker 5: Good evening doctor.
Speaker 3: He was about out draw up your usual chair.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Well, did you enjoy the Christmas holidays?
Speaker 4: Well, I've I've had a whale of a time, thank you, but I don't think I can face a turkey or immense pie for at least another year.
Speaker 5: How about you?
Speaker 6: Doctor boy had a very pleasant week too, my boy Foxy's visitors.
Speaker 3: The fletching number of Christmas messages to.
Speaker 5: Say you got a new pipe?
Speaker 3: Is that a Christmas present? You pipe?
Speaker 6: You, tobacco pouch and a pound of my favorite tobacco, all of them sent me from London by old pounds and a friend of mine to Ian Dunbar.
Speaker 4: No, Pian, huh, Well do you mean he was one of your patients? Or was he someone that you in the Great shore CON's help.
Speaker 3: The latter, mister boutell. As a matter of fact, it was receiving this gift that reminded me of the spread.
Speaker 6: I decided to tell you tonight the story in which I and Dunbar played a prominent.
Speaker 5: Five and had ada up again.
Speaker 6: The day before New Year's Eve in eighteen hundred and ninety nine, Chilock Holmes and I sat in opposite corners.
Speaker 3: Of the first cast wor overcarriage.
Speaker 6: We sped towards Edinburgh in applying Scotsman, what's.
Speaker 3: Up to you?
Speaker 5: And slock Corn's up there?
Speaker 3: Doctor? It started off as a holidays botel.
Speaker 6: My old friend, Sir Walter Dunbar lasked Holmes and me to spend a few days with him at Dunbar Castle, about twenty miles outside Edinburgh.
Speaker 3: After we left King's.
Speaker 6: Cross Station, Holmes, his sharp, eager face framed in his dear'stocking cap, dipped into the bundle.
Speaker 3: Of fresh papers and she brought with him.
Speaker 6: We left Bedford far behind us before he thrust the last one of them under the seat, leaned across.
Speaker 3: And offered me his cigar.
Speaker 7: Care for the guy?
Speaker 8: What's no well, I'll stick to the pipe flying Scotsman's living up to its name, and they're going splendidly present three and a half miles an hour. I haven't noticed the quarter mile pot, nor have I but the telegraph first on this night, he adds passed to the aid of a watch.
Speaker 3: The calculation is.
Speaker 5: A simple one. What's in my dea p home? We have several hours ahead of us. Now, tell me more about the valse at Dunbar. I have a feeling that he is in some kind of trouble. If you haven't want to talk about him.
Speaker 6: It's not exactly trouble homes, but there's a strange problem that confronts the Dunbar The problem it will be settled at midnight.
Speaker 3: Tomorrow night, a New Year's even He is exactly.
Speaker 6: But to really appreciate the story, I have to begin by telling you the death of rol Sir Thomas Dunbar.
Speaker 5: The father of the present.
Speaker 6: He was severely wounded in Waterloo, though he managed to last that long enough to get back to Dunbar Castle. The story goes that as he lay there on his death said he told his wife of his plans.
Speaker 9: Didn't agree with last I touched the buron that's you home from Waterloo.
Speaker 5: But if I wound as well.
Speaker 9: Oh, I'm not afraid to die. All the niggles me is that I shall never see the child you bear.
Speaker 5: So what will Scott know? Coming here?
Speaker 9: Hey, Jenny, he visit the death spell of.
Speaker 1: His old friend.
Speaker 3: Now who's there? I didn't use handhimur Doc, it's me.
Speaker 9: I'm leaving an unburned senday handy when I die. I don't trust women, or children or thanks for that matter. But the best part of the wealth of gold in the big iron box you'll find under the bed. The money's there. I am something else for her any day. You have to keep that boxing. Trust for me, Sandy. You can turn it down to my boy and the New Year's eve before his twenty first birthday, and he'll be a man and wise.
Speaker 5: Enough to know how to use it.
Speaker 3: Do you understand? Tell me right?
Speaker 5: That was what's the Baron's a girl?
Speaker 1: Girl?
Speaker 9: I'll tell you to be a boy and we'll name him Walter rest my good friend.
Speaker 3: So Walter Scott.
Speaker 5: The interesting story Watson, and that child, of course is the gentleman we are going to see now? Is Walter done done?
Speaker 3: Exactly?
Speaker 5: And the first baronet was a friend of Subalter Scott. While his son conversed to your acquaintance. Why, sir, it's a family singular rich in literary friendship and it's not going.
Speaker 3: To at home continue. I suppose you can guess what happened.
Speaker 6: To Thomas Keff drew up a document to stressfy the New Year's eve before the Baronet's twenty first versay, and the poor child was born on February twenty ninth.
Speaker 5: The boys and Walter is waiting for his arm box for a goal.
Speaker 6: He'll be eighty four next year and yet legally the only one birthday every four years.
Speaker 3: And near as the law he.
Speaker 5: Was the most amazing situation, though I'm afraid Sir Water finds it far from entertaining. The lawyers must have been extremely scrupulous and abiding by the letter of the documentary.
Speaker 6: Though Sandy Murdock is dead now, of course, but he too is a great grandson, William Murdock, who still handles the Dunbar estate. He'll be at the castle tonight to formally hand over the iron buck.
Speaker 5: I'm delighted to accept the holiday in pertation so well that mandear hello, I've needed a rest but always loathed two stricter ones. This situation may pose a nice little problem from me.
Speaker 3: Problem.
Speaker 5: Yes, I'm reasonably certain the agents of water Dunbar will need to get his iron box full of gold on this New Year's Eve. There, but we will be old fellow.
Speaker 3: We shall see doctor Watson.
Speaker 10: I'm glad to see you and mister Malms here as the captain.
Speaker 3: Thank you, My boy Holmes is is Ian Dunbar Walters grands.
Speaker 5: How do you do, mister dun Dan.
Speaker 10: I'm very proud to meet you.
Speaker 4: Mister Holmes.
Speaker 5: I've heard those about you.
Speaker 10: My grandfather will be down in a few moments.
Speaker 5: Let's go into the library, shall we.
Speaker 6: I imagine the Wolters quite excited about that ceremony, isn't he?
Speaker 10: Wouldn't you be if you'd waited sixty three years too long for an inheritance back to the Lord. I have the force to be born on the prosaic date in August and twenty first.
Speaker 5: Even if your grandfather is dead, you were to the next donnet jayad Yes, mister Holmes, you see my father was killed two months ago at Mappati.
Speaker 3: Yes if I read about it in the papers, my boy, I'm gonna sorry.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Doctor.
Speaker 10: The opening of the box isn't going to be the only ceremony At midnight, Dorothy and I are announcing an engagement.
Speaker 5: Dorothy small See and her father are staying here too.
Speaker 3: My congratulations is indeed indeed man too. Thank you.
Speaker 5: It's it's been quite sattle with a though he's a businessman and isn't impressed with titles.
Speaker 10: When they asked the company by a suitable income. When we told him about the inheritance, Peter len didn't give his consent. Ah, here's Dorothy now, Dorothy Darling, I want you to meet two friends of mine, mister Sherlock Holmes and doctor Watson.
Speaker 11: How do you do now?
Speaker 3: How have you been? Small? How are you, my dear? From what this young man's been telling us? I gather the congratulations in order thank you.
Speaker 11: I finally persuaded father that Ian would make a word of son in law. For a while I was afraid we'd have to look for gret the bee leave in a cottage on bread and cheese and law. But raise a torrental rash, just.
Speaker 5: As they do in the story books.
Speaker 3: Oh, sir Walter, there you are. What's the dear boy?
Speaker 11: How are you?
Speaker 5: And this must be your friends? That very well for a young nipper who twenty one at midnight. Oh gentlemen, may I introduce mister Herbert Small.
Speaker 6: I believe that we have congratulated you on the engagement of your daughter.
Speaker 12: That was the post to remain a secret undtle midnight the Dunbar box was finally helping. Gonna be grouty, Herbert. The children are in law and I'm going to settle money on Ian and it's New Year's Eve that sends her into the spirit of the occasion. Bring out the glasses in. I've had some bottles at my special pride put out. It's got kindest sport in Scotland. The cream of Dunbar. My father laid the first bottle down the year before it was born, and the drink of the brew will surely warm the cockers.
Speaker 3: Thet oh, my mouse working your will is wold? When is this the lawyer?
Speaker 12: Fellow young Murdock an here any moment her as soon as he arrives dinner that we'll be ready for the evening ceremony.
Speaker 5: You're bringing the famous iron box within some modern.
Speaker 12: If he doesn't, they won't get in the dinner homes Ian past the glasses around my boy ah, Herry, Oh you've got the box. We see now the party is complete. Oh, it means to reduce you.
Speaker 5: It's small her father, mister Small, my grandson Ian you know, Sherlock Holmes, doctor Watson.
Speaker 12: I laid the world up my frame with delay. Oh that's all right, my doc. You're here and you brought the box. That's all that matters.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 3: You are a young lawyer.
Speaker 5: Drink here.
Speaker 12: I'll help you for it.
Speaker 3: I must say that this is our exciting homes of famous ron box with its inheritance of gold. Yes, and from the size of the.
Speaker 5: Box of the rough yes, the estimated it's cubic content in gold at around five thousand pounds. Not about some perhaps a businessman like mister Small, but a windfall to an impecuniar Scotch that I do a strong young man, mister Murdoch, I'd have been strong home. A box that size full of golden sovereigns would weigh considerable amounts. And yet the lawyer carried it single handed. All that we're all assembled, I'm going to proposal.
Speaker 3: It's still summers off.
Speaker 5: Yet, let's drink to the new year means a lot to some of us.
Speaker 11: Nineteen we should chose more than just nineteen hundreds to water. We should drink to the new setue that's about to begin.
Speaker 3: Good idea.
Speaker 6: Oh, I'm afraid that wouldn't be quite appropriateness Small to the accurate.
Speaker 3: The prettieth century won't begin.
Speaker 6: Until January the first, nineteen hundred and one, not nineteen hundred.
Speaker 5: Of course, that's got they. I'm afraid your wedding can't take place some time.
Speaker 3: Yet, father, What are you talking about?
Speaker 4: I read an article to God in the other day that said just the same thing as you, doctor Watson. And what's more, it said something even more important. It's said that nineteen hundred is not a leapia rubbish leapier comes every four years.
Speaker 5: There was one in eighteen ninety six, and obviously nineteen.
Speaker 3: Hundred is one.
Speaker 5: I think mister Small may be right, But you say, mister hous do you know well? I hope no one would bring up this point. But it's the little problem I referred to on the train. My dear what womber for heaven's sake?
Speaker 12: Answer it is nineteen hundred of a leap yer.
Speaker 5: No, I'm afraid it's not, sir Walter, No, because of a slight indalance that would otherwise and be produced in the calendar of the even century. Years and its divisible by four hundred are leap yeers. In other words, sixteen hundred with alypier, the year two thousand will be alypier, but eighteen hundred and nineteen hundred are not sleepiers.
Speaker 3: Then you have no birthday next year.
Speaker 5: So Walter, and I'm afraid I can't open the buck tonight.
Speaker 11: And the dun bars won't get their inhabitants.
Speaker 4: You, my dear, don't marry for a few more years if I won't alive with Merria.
Speaker 5: Mister Hornsey, you sure of your fact. I'm very much afraid that I am a man.
Speaker 3: Oh this is terrible.
Speaker 5: I kind of stud anymore.
Speaker 3: Nna, don't take it too badly. Smaller here, Yeah, think this, that's it, after all, you only have to wait it for four years.
Speaker 5: Another four years at my age, young man, at my age, I shall.
Speaker 9: Never live that long.
Speaker 5: What is it?
Speaker 3: Angles? So I got out of time, A miserable meal home, the walls has gone to his room, the young.
Speaker 6: Lovers a million tiers small, and the loyal Murder seemed to be positively gloating.
Speaker 5: Yes, mister Hales new Yeah, but got us at least make the best of it. I think I'll go and have a clock that, Sir Walter and you my dat chat. Why not try and cheer up the young folks some of your experiences.
Speaker 3: And quite no del join you in the library. Call me if you want them. Ah, there you are, my dear, all alone in front of the fire.
Speaker 10: I'm afraid we are not in very good spirits.
Speaker 6: Nevertheless, I'll sit down here and join you if you don't mind. Misery loves company.
Speaker 11: So very kind of IM just trying to persuade he and to elope with me. But he's doing most gallant. You won't even considerable?
Speaker 10: How can I, darling, I've got under two hundred pounds a year of my own right, how could we live on that?
Speaker 5: I was counting money the grandfather was going to give us to get me startled.
Speaker 3: Now now I'm as small. A little earlier you talked to break the green and bread and cheese and loving a cottage. Yes, there's a lot to be said for it, you know.
Speaker 5: I had to be said for it.
Speaker 10: Yes, but have you ever tried it?
Speaker 3: Not? Litom a boy?
Speaker 13: But I've married and my wife and I was married. I had a little money. In fact, my income was just about the sun that you mentioned, and we were very happy.
Speaker 1: Father.
Speaker 5: You have a profession, doctor, Look at me.
Speaker 10: I've been trained for nothing except to be lead of Dunbar Castle. I can't support a wife on tradition, but.
Speaker 11: You're young and you can get some kind of position.
Speaker 3: I should, of course. Of course, as a matter of fact, I think that what is it? What's wrong?
Speaker 5: The devil's work of Fort Watson? Come with me, Old Tom and you, mister Dunbar. Which was wrong? It was in darkness, but in the moon I saw two figures struggling by the open case. One of them was the water. As I entered, he disappeared from sight his attacker that pushed him out of the window into the moat. Okay, you have an angle away in the darkness. We just kept lanterns and go out for the most at once. Though, I'm very much afraid, mister Dunbar, that your grandfather is beyond our health.
Speaker 4: Doctor Watson will be back in just a second, so i'd just like to remind you that if you want to serve a wine over the holidays, that you're sure the ladies will enjoy serve Petrie California muscatel. Petrie Muscatel is a golden wine with a wonderful flavor, the flavor of big, plump muscat grapes.
Speaker 5: And you know what a flavor that's.
Speaker 4: I'm sure you'll find that Petrie musketell is the favorite wine of all women, just as petre port is the favorite wine with men. And incidentally, if you're not sure which to get Petrie Muscatel or petre Port, don't buy one, buy two, get.
Speaker 5: Them both, and you'll be sure to please everyone.
Speaker 4: Now, to get back to our story, someone had pushed poor old Sir Walter out of his bedroom window and enter the moat below.
Speaker 5: Isn't that right, doctor Watson?
Speaker 3: Yes, of course, speak grab lanterns.
Speaker 6: As first we couldn't rush outside, but it was a hopeless cause the water was eight or ten feet deep, and it seemed obvious that the elderness of water wouldn't have a chance of saving himself. If you searched on the thicker bobbing lanterns, the cunning figures in the foster moonlight forming a weird.
Speaker 3: Bring you answer over here, sir? Can you see anything home? A thing?
Speaker 5: I don't see why your friend doesn't call the police. Doctor Watson's accomplishing nothing.
Speaker 6: You thought them out there chance of finding the old man alive, mister Small, he wants to void a scandal as possible.
Speaker 3: Forssake, Sir, as well as the Dunbar scandal.
Speaker 5: Can't touch me or Dorothy over this. Her engagement will never announced.
Speaker 3: And it's a big citicide to think some new blood in your family would be a great.
Speaker 6: Improvement or being poverty impressonedent and you be can panda hat the sir, well homes have you given up hope?
Speaker 5: And Pep will never find him in that dragness and wrapping hooks. I have to call the police. What time is it, sat Ian?
Speaker 3: You know the time? What did you call me, mister Holmes?
Speaker 6: So, yes, Hi, you're yours, just seem a bit your homes, But of course you're right. If your poor grandfather's dead, mister Dunbar, you're a baronet.
Speaker 5: Now and the time set in it's it's a court to the twelve, mister hark Quart out of an hour to the new year. So yeah, doesn't that thanks for guest something to you, Yes, yes it does. So I'm the new baronet hammer.
Speaker 10: They weren't. There'll be no more talk of the police for fifteen minutes. I want all of you to come back to the castle with as the last time of midnight brings out, I shall have a statement to me, a statement that I want you all to hear.
Speaker 3: What you bought it over here for home, something very funny going on.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you I.
Speaker 5: Don't like bollecoman, and I watched some like to look at it very much.
Speaker 3: If you wouldn't be said, that's mysterious. What are you up to? You haven't taken a stip yet towards finding the murderer.
Speaker 5: And I wonder what God is the He's the perspiration on this small brown molument.
Speaker 3: It's small.
Speaker 5: I wonder what pause is a singular look of apprehension on the face of murderch young lawyer. You remember, of course, on my remarking how easily he carried a large iron Boxers go.
Speaker 3: Yes, and it took a strong man to throw the water out of the window.
Speaker 5: New Years approaching, ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 10: In view of our recent tragedy, this is one New Year's Eve when none of us feels like song and jollocky but there still remains a ritual duty for me to perform.
Speaker 5: Mister Murdock, open the iron box please, but I can't do that. It was only to be open for your grandfather, No, mister Murder.
Speaker 10: The phrase was that it was to be opened on the New Year's Eve before the baronet's twenty first birthday. I am now the baronet, and I shall be twenty one next year on August twenty first.
Speaker 5: Open the box, please, mister Murder in Johning, how fast you can. I'm glad. I hope you think of it. Three, Murder, open that box very well. I'll tell you when I'm a prayer in for something of a shock.
Speaker 3: Scuty.
Speaker 5: The box is empty except for a sheet of notepaper in the bottom. What's the meaning of this murder? Read that paper, Serena, and you'll understand I owe you four thousand sovereigns.
Speaker 10: And it signed Alexander Murder on behalf of Murder Murder. Lawyers, you'd better explain this.
Speaker 7: It's the family skeleton, serene That notice signed from a great grandfather, the one that witnessed the original deconcern in the box as soon as the water was born on that February the twenty ninth. My great grandfather realized the money wouldn't have.
Speaker 5: To be produced for eighty four years, and so he stole it.
Speaker 12: He bothered it.
Speaker 5: He always intended to pick back, but he was never able to. When he died, he told my father of his secret.
Speaker 7: My father, in turn told me, We've always planned to put back the money, Seren, but we've never been able to.
Speaker 5: This is daylight robbery. You would prosecute me and the firm still in business. You can ruin them, You can sue them for every day there, mister Small, they've already shown a marked version from my family. I suggest you allow me to handle their affairs here.
Speaker 6: You got.
Speaker 10: No one's going to their room, no one's leaving here until the police arrives.
Speaker 5: I'm convinced that one.
Speaker 10: Of you murdered my grandfather tonight.
Speaker 3: If you ask me, it's obvious who that someone is. Who doctor, what's used to murder? You came here telling to kill Pearl to.
Speaker 6: Walter because you never intended to open that buff You thought.
Speaker 3: That your sid would die with him. That's a lie.
Speaker 7: I was going to tell him everything and then ask for time pay the money.
Speaker 5: I didn't kill Gorse he didn't. There's your murderer, You your Sophia father. What you say?
Speaker 4: I am saying that he and the murderer he saw that the buck wasn't going to be opened for another four years. He realized how the money couldn't marry Dorothy, so he killed his grandfather.
Speaker 5: And then order the box opened.
Speaker 3: You're trying to cover yourself.
Speaker 10: You push grandfather out of that window tonight. You thought that if he died, the box would never be opened. Dorothy couldn'trry me.
Speaker 6: You can't speak on.
Speaker 3: My soul homes. You seem remarkably calm, And I.
Speaker 5: Must say I'm absolutely fascinated by listening to three people and accusing each other of murder and each of them producing perfectly sound not it is. It's a remarkable example of the dangers of reasoning from motive alone. We should prop it by experience.
Speaker 11: What, mister Holms, how can you be so calm?
Speaker 5: There's a murderer in this room is getting the glaud of hand this small let's conclude it. You'll ta come out now.
Speaker 3: It's moving new year for your grandfather. So what am I sing?
Speaker 1: Go?
Speaker 5: And what kind of a game have you been playing in the bunny game that Holmes and I invented. You might call it forcing the issue.
Speaker 12: I was determined to have the box open before the next four years world, whilst there was still alive to look inside it. But the prickery of your family murder has made me a very happy.
Speaker 7: Mass Or what if I shall pay back some money in a few years, I swear.
Speaker 12: I will'll be too late to do me in a good but I'll take care of it in get it half a mind of passu, grandfather.
Speaker 5: The money isn't important now that you're all You were content on it just the same, my boy. So that you got married Dorothy, I know that she will never marry a pauper. I will allowed when.
Speaker 11: I'm twenty one.
Speaker 2: You can't start me, father, and I am going to marry me.
Speaker 4: Quiet what it's a very unsavory business. I think that you owe us an explanation of your behavior to night.
Speaker 3: You tell him, Holmes, I Farcy, we drew up a cream of dunbar.
Speaker 5: Watching your search from a body in the motor's made me perfectly. The explanation is a very simple one, Ladies and gentlemen. When you arrived here to night, mister Murdock. I knew from the way you handled the box that it could not contain the sum of gold the supposed to, and so.
Speaker 6: You suspected Paul and advised the plan to.
Speaker 3: Post the opening of the box.
Speaker 5: Yes, and sir Walter was an eager conspirator, of course I was ian Is twenty one next August. Supposing poison, I have died after he came of age and before my next birthday four years. Hence the box would never have been opened, and so we invented the faith Miti story. By the way, Ian Amis, congratulate you for grasping the possibilities of the situation so speedily. If you hadn't demanded the opening of the box, the Murdoch's secret might still.
Speaker 3: Be a secret. The clear of plan homes are too bad that it had to have such a miserable ending.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure that we have finished for the matter. And mister Murdoch, Yes, mister Holmes, you say that your family took four thousand pounds from that box. Yes, mister curious, I would have swarm from its size that it would hold closer to five thousand. And in your account of the legend, Watson, you told me that Sir Thomas Dundar stated on his deathbed that he had put something else in something for a rainy day?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 5: Did the Murdochs find that extra something? No, mister Holmes, they found but the gold, and that's very odd. I can't take a closer look at that box has been online.
Speaker 11: Since this seems to be a night of telling secrets. I think you might as well know, father, But if you don't give your consent, you.
Speaker 5: Such thing my old resolution, young lady, and that I had that people have been necessary.
Speaker 3: What do you mean?
Speaker 5: Permit me to show you all the treasure of the Dundas What.
Speaker 3: Are your phone home?
Speaker 5: See something for a rainy day with old Sir Thomas? God you see, since the cubic contents of the box obviously differed from my calculations, I deduced the existence of a false bottom. I was correct, and in that space I found this.
Speaker 3: Manuscript.
Speaker 5: Fight So the manuscript of the book. Look at the title page and see the author's name his to the Dunbark.
Speaker 3: That's all Scott.
Speaker 5: I think, so, Walter, that an original and unpublished manuscript by your distinguished namesake would prove worth several times the go that is missing from that box. So you have spived the.
Speaker 3: Day for his homes my boy, Thank god, bless you.
Speaker 5: Oh this has been a stranger new year ever I.
Speaker 12: Knew, but it turned out to be a bunny one thanks to your home. Well, fill up their glasses. We're going to drink a toss to the new year.
Speaker 6: By Yes, Walter, this is really a happy occasion, and.
Speaker 3: Let's complete it.
Speaker 5: I singing the traditional song of the season, all zangs time, and in this case when we sing, should all acquaintance be for good? I feel the gna hearts. We should be thinking of Walter Scott. He died over sixty years ago. He's made us all very happy.
Speaker 4: Sure God, well, doctor, that turned out to be a very happy new year for all concerned. Yes, that's one new further, don'll never forget well, I's sure hope you'll always remember this one.
Speaker 3: So oh, this is taking my boy that goes for a class.
Speaker 6: Of porn fine the world to a to a happy new year, my boy, for you and for our many friends listening in and to.
Speaker 4: You, doctor, that's good. Doctor, hasn't d been a pleasant association for me? You're the best storyteller I've ever known, and the Patrie family makes the best wine I've ever tasted. Hope, just as they've been making wine for generations in the past, the Patrie family will continue to make fine wine.
Speaker 5: In the future.
Speaker 6: Oh, mister Bartel, I know that you'll always be here to tell us just how good that petty whine is.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: I hope so, doctor, and I hope you'll always be right here beside me to tell another swell story about this doctor. What new adventure are you planning to tell us next week?
Speaker 6: Next week, mister Bartel, I'm going to tell you a weird story starts for the series of murders.
Speaker 3: On Hempstead Heat and then the battle to the death in the Burning Wexworks. I call it the Strange Case of the Murderer in Wex.
Speaker 4: Tonight's cherl O Corse adventure was written by Dennis Green and Anthony Boucher was suggested by an incident, and it's Arthur Conan Doyle story. The Silver Blazes music is by Dean Fossler. Mister Rathbone appears through the courtesy of Metro Golden Mayor and mister Bruce through the courtesy of Universal Fictions, where they are now starring in the Sherlock Holmes series. The Petrie Wind Company of San Francisco, California invites you to tune in again next week, same time, same station. Sherlock Holmes comes to you from our Hollywood studio. This is Harry Bartel saying good night for the Petrie family for a solid hour of exciting mystery dramas. Listen every Monday on most of these same stations at eight o'clock to Michael Shane, followed immediately by Sherlock Holmes. This is the mutual broadcasting system.
Speaker 14: I would like to thank for this White for taking the time to tell us a doctor fair husband Anthony much and also about this great and those wonderful times not too long ago when Holmes and Watson.
Speaker 3: Were played by Rathbone and Bruce.
Speaker 1: The two episodes you have just hearded are part of the New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Are in Battle Rattone and Nigel Bruce, and are in nineteen eighty eight copyrighted production of two twenty one A Baker Street Associates. The Sherlockholms stories and the characters of Sherlock Holmes and Doctor John H. Watson created by Sir er Curnan Doyle and are used with the kind.
Speaker 3: Formation of Dame Gene Colnan Doyle. This is ben right.
Speaker 1: Won't you join me again sometime soon for two more new adventures of Sherlock Holmes.
Speaker 3: Thank you listening