Speaker 1: There are some names that just echo far beyond the runway, and Meiling is one of them. You see, when we speak of legacy in Caribbean fashion, we can't do so without speaking of me Ling, not simply because of her decades of work, but because of the values woven through every scene discipline, artistry, minimalism as philosophy, and Caribbean storytelling through design. Her Attilie at six Carlo Street is more than just a workspace. It's a sanctuary, a place alive with light, clothing and possibility. To me in many ways, it evokes the spirit of thirty one ru Cambon, the legendary and iconic address where Gabrielle Coco Chanel read find fashion from the inside out. Both houses are defined by restraint and timelessness, where the focus is not on trend but on truth. And yet Mailing is far from settled. In fact, her artistic compass remains forward facing. As she shares in this episode, she's currently working on a bold new collaboration with a young male designer in a style that surprised even her. It's set to launch in December twenty twenty five, and it speaks directly to her lifelong commitment to relevance without compromise. In this episode, we discuss her origins, her creative convictions, and what it means to hold fast to your truth in an industry often dictated by trend. We also talk about leadership, mentorship, and legacy as seen through the eyes of a woman who chose to build something lasting from the soil of her own island. Mailing is a legend, yes, However, she's also a woman who still sees herself as a student, still reaching, and still evolving, and that is perhaps her greatest design yet. If you're listening to the podcast on Apple Podcast, please remember to rate and leave a comment below. Also, don't forget to follow us on Instagram at Let's Talk the Things. Now, grab your tea, coffee, or a glass of wine and Let's Talk the Things. Hello everyone, Welcome back to Let's Talk the Things, where we discuss personal growth, travel, music, beauty, fashion and wellness while encouraging you to live fearlessly and fabulously. I'm your host, Ash and this week we are talking to Things with the woman at the helm of the most renowned designer labels in the Caribbean, Iconic Trinidadian fashion designer mailing, Hi, mailing, how are you hi?
Speaker 2: What a wonderful introduction. I'm one of the ones in Trinidad that makes it happen.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, definitely, for sure. Thank you so much for coming to talk to things with me.
Speaker 2: It's a pleasure, all right.
Speaker 1: So for the first part of the show, we like to do a little icebreaker to loosen up the guests something fun. So as a first time guest and for persons listening for the first time, we begin each episode with our listener's favorite segment, and it's called that Sounds Safe. So basically all it is is, I'm going to read messages or social media posts that listeners sent in, and if you think it sounds a little crazy or a little concerning, you just say that sounds safe or whatever version of that you would like to say and explain why. And if you agree, you can just say you agree and explain why sounds good?
Speaker 2: All right? All right?
Speaker 1: So the first person said, sometimes I replace my feelings with new clothes, and I'm okay with that.
Speaker 2: I'm good with that. I know some people for a chair up, they do come, yes, and they want to lift they come, you know, they come for a if they have a break up in a relationship or stressed that would they say, oh, let me just come and have some retail therapy.
Speaker 1: There you go. I think that sounds very safe because my mom always says to me, when you look good, you feel good, right, So yeah, like you said, if you're having a bad day or a bad week or a bad month and something happened, why not look fabulous. You don't want to look popped down and feel bad. So yeah, that one sounds safe. We both agree on that one, all right. The next person said, the older I get, the more I realize my mom was always right, but I guess I just didn't like her tone.
Speaker 2: I think it's I agree, I see it funny enough, I see it. Like with my son. He thought I was like this, he had the strictest parents, But now I see him being a parent, and he's almost repeating the things that I said. So now and although they would kick against it's somehow you plant seeds that grow and they stay with you and they repeat it without even.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely absolutely, I think at the time, when you're a child, you can't appreciate your parents' you know, strictness and rules and things like that. But I think the older you get, you realize and you appreciate it and you say, whoa, Thank god, my parents, you know, had those rules for me, because you probably know people that didn't have rules, and they didn't, you know, have such a great time in life.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. Okay, that one sounds safe too, So so far, so good. Everything sound in safe?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Two more? The next person said, some people say she's so lucky. No, darling, she worked hard, she stayed up late, she lost people along the way, she ignored critics, she invested in herself, and she wanted to quit countless times, but she didn't.
Speaker 2: Absolutely correct. I think no. People look at even they think it's easy for me, but they don't know all the things have been true. You know. I see it a lot now, especially when I do a collection and they say, oh my god, but why are you stressing out like this? You know you've done so many more, you've done so many before, but they don't what goes into it. And I think that no one is lucky. You have to walk the walk, not just talk the talk, but you walk the wall.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. I love that. Absolutely, Yes, it's so true. I think people can see the output of all the years of hard work and think it's just so easy, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: And I think, oh, they also think that your privileged, Yeah you didn't have to work for it, that's very true, moneyed family, or that you had it easy and you had everything not knowing the story, you know, they have their own narrative.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, absolutely, one hundred percent agree with that. And I think that, you know, a lot of times, even if someone does come from privilege, it still can be difficult for them because maybe they're doing something different than that privilege that they came from, you know what I mean. So if you came from a privilege of a business, but you want to be in fashion, your parents and family aren't going to understand that. So you're going to have to, you know, work hard and do that on your own because the privilege quote unquote you come from has nothing to do with what your gift is, you know what I mean. So I yeah, I one hundred percent agree with that. Okay, perfect, so far, so good. All right, So last one, and I think this one's going to be safe too, So I think we're in the clear. But the last one, somebody said, there's a Japanese legend that says, if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station. The longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: Yes, same, isn't that true?
Speaker 2: I would remember this one. I must remember this one.
Speaker 1: Yes, that one sounds very safe. And I love the analogy because it's so true. The longer you take to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be. That is wow, that's amazing. Yes, so definitely. I think that's basically saying, you know, if you have an intuition that something doesn't feel right, just leave it alone, you know what I mean. Don't think about it too much, follow your intuition. Especially as women, you have.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, most of the time you have like a gut feeling y. Yes. And I truly believe in energies, Yes, absolutely.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, And I think as women were gifted with that right, having that intuition, and sometimes I feel like we always we don't always trust it, and I think as women we just have to do better at trusting it and being okay with being like, you know what, this doesn't feel right, or as we would say in this segment, this not son safe all right, So that was fun. But now we're going to talk the real things. Mailing. Before all of the accolades and the runways and the international acclaim, I'm sure there was a young girl in Trinidad with a needle and thread and a point of view. So if you close your eyes and go back to that time, what do you see? What moments or memories stitch themselves into the foundation of your creative spirits.
Speaker 2: Well, I see a young girl sitting in her I love this question. I see a young girl sitting in her mother's sewing room, her mother being one of the finest needlewomen of Tronidad and Tobago. And I see this young girl sitting in sitting in her mom's room, in her sewing room, amidst the wearing of machines, buttons, threads, book magazines, and with a needle, all with the scissors and peace, trying to dress my dolls and begging my ladies to ladies who worked for my mom to show to teach me. And then sometimes they never had time, so I experimented on my own, you know, Okay, so this is what this is where it started. So really I knew from the age eleven what I wanted to do. I wanted to be a fashion designer.
Speaker 1: I love that. Wow, So you knew that from early on.
Speaker 2: Very early on. I think it was like I think my mother's so in rumors, my playground. I think I was always maybe it was just innate in me. And my mother was very, very very creative and very skilled without I mean, she must have had some sort of teach I think she learned it on her own because I knew a man would arrive with Vogue patterns which were quite complicated, and she would just look at the design on the cover and then she would just take out her scissors and cut her fabrics, you know. And she really was an amazing need of woman.
Speaker 1: I love that. What's a beautiful story. And for you, what do you think it means for a woman, especially in the Caribbean, to claim her path so boldly and so young.
Speaker 2: But I also, besides claiming my path so young, I think it was great that my mother was, like almost all of my father was very academic. He was a mathematician. He was a soil research at the university. Before it was the University of the West Indies, it was the Imperial College of Agriculture, and I was his only child my mother by my mother's second marriage. But we had lived that one hugh big family, my half sisters and brother. But I think my mother was she helped put food on the table as well as my dad, you know. So she was very an independent businesswoman, you know, an entrepreneur in her own rights. And women found her and they came to her, and she dressed from you know, the woman next daughter, the to the you know, people in high in government, to the president's wife or whoever, you know, the governor's wife. There was no president then. And I was always amazed at you know that the respect she got and the work she did, and she brought money into the home. You know. It was just you know, and she helped, you know, with my education, and she also mentored me. I mean, I I was it was I always say part of my success not creatively from my mother, but the discipline of how I approached my work is from my mother and from the I was schooled at a convoun from a league, and I think the nuns and my parents and still great discipline in me, which up to today I think has saildy well.
Speaker 1: And it's evidence. I mean, your mother was a revered dressmaker, your father a thinker. In what ways do you think those two worlds converging in you as a designer, as a leader, and as a cultural force, Like, what ways do you think that those two worlds kind of connect within you?
Speaker 2: I think my mother creatively, my father still in me, which which helps me in me creating reading. He was a great reader, and you know he loved silence. I love silence. My mother was a bobby bar who was you know, she was ready to party and my father was part Yeah, he was a rather thinker and we would spend a lot of time just in silence, reading and also by just disciplining me. And I mean he adored my mother. I remember they were my mother lived till night night and I remember in the eighties they would still sit and hold hands and it was a lot of love in the family and a lot of I think in a way, my mother my father really I really had Although my mother was a creative one, I had a greater connection to my dad. I think it was something I don't know what happened. Well, they say father's daughters about fathers, and I was his only child.
Speaker 1: Yes, definitely, definitely, I know that all too well. I'm a daddy's girl myself, so definitely. And then I just thought about the fact that you went to London. That's correct, right, So when London came around, you know, a time and a place pulsing with creative energy and I'm sure a lot of social change. What did studying fashion in that era really like unlock for you as a designer?
Speaker 2: Would you say? Well? First again, coming from an island, you know that. And I have to tell you that, of course, my father couldn't see how his one and only child would make a living studying fashion.
Speaker 1: Right, especially in those days.
Speaker 2: Eh yes, But my mother I think was living very curiously through me and was the one who really pushed for it to happened. It was a very humble home. We didn't have much, but they scripted together whatever. And I went to not Odd School, but a school that Lucy Cayton School of Design. And I mean I was fortunate because imagine I go there in nineteen sixty four where it's almost the start of where the mini skirt just came in Mary Kwan, the beats potus ready, you know, flower children. It was an amazing time in fashion. Is when fashion became something. You know, the skills got shorter, their eyelashes got longer. There became everything. There are people in the streets. The music was the Rolling Stones, the Beatles. So it was I mean that for me, was that added to what I learned in fashion. I mean it showed that you can be anything you wanted to be, which was a freedom, a joy in the street. I mean London at that time was just amazing. I mean the world looked, the creative world looked at London at that time. Wow.
Speaker 1: That's amazing.
Speaker 2: Wow. Wow.
Speaker 1: And when I think about the philast of your style, right, one of the hallmarks of your work is it's restraint. So you've embraced minimalism and monochrome. Monochrome, excuse me in a region that's known for a lot of vibrancy. So can you talk about how that artistic direction, not just esthetically but philosophically, like what you did to create that?
Speaker 2: Well? I think one of the things is that I was very I know, I came from a and I even wore color in my young in my early days now when you were black, but I came Two things I think brought me there. Not that people have a thing that I were the only design in black and white, but I do color as well. Black and white are the main things. And I think that the philosophy for me was that less is more, that I think that you have to learn to edit. Editing in fashion is so important. I grew up wearing a uniform for so many years in my life, by a white shirt, and I always love a uniform up to this day. I love a uniform. And probably because I get up in the morning and because I have so many I think of how I'm dressing so many other women. I just want to think, well, which black trousers and which black shirt I'm going to wear. It makes it easier for me. So I myself upound my signature, my uniform. But I just think I just I'm not one for fust. I like a pair down lock, a minimal look, and I think that speaks much louder than too much. So less is more is my tagline. Less is hard, and but rarely honing in on the details that I put in that black and white. You know, the hand embroidery, they all the all the literal buttons that are different, all the little nuances, tiny details that make my signative.
Speaker 1: Oh I love that. And it's funny you say that because a lots of persons associate black, for example, all black with elegance. Right, how do you define elegance and what role do you think your culture plays in shaping that definition for you?
Speaker 2: Well, my culture, it's difficult to say how my culture is cheaped. I think I have sheaped what I believe, and I don't think some people don't think about what elegance, So elegance my piman elegance is. I don't think a lot of people because sometimes elegance, this is my feeling. Elegance for me is okay, you wear a beautiful government that is beautifully style. Elegance for me comes from within. You have to be concident, you have to be a self assertive, you have to be some sort of respectability. Mystery. Yesterday I set a young woman to my student you and she was wearing I mean it was like elevenly morning, beautiful, beautiful girl, young girl and model to be who had come in from meagements. And she came in wearing lovely fitting jeans, lovely trousers, but the tiniest top, tiny stuff. And I said to her, which may or may not be wrong, and they may think it's an age thing. I'm not. And I said her, you know what, young I said, young women today have no longer two of them have mystery, and I think elegance is mystery. This is how I'm connecting. And she said, oh, mystery is what? Mystery overrated? They said, mystery overraated? Really, And I said, and and it's okay, It's cool if she thinks so, and happy, you know, but I think elegance comes from within. Elegance comes to that sense of mystery, that sense of editing to wear and not just you wearing a fabulous, elegant gulment what I have given you some other but you the goverment. You wearing the government, and the government is not wearing you. To me, that is.
Speaker 1: I love that. And I actually agree with you because I think in my generation and the younger generations, I think, because we have social media and a lot of women are overexposed, I think that the women that do stand out are the ones that have an element of mystery. So I think that that's definitely a real thing. However, I think there is space.
Speaker 2: Do you really think that they are because I understand that it's very hard I keep saying, I'm glad I didn't grow up in the stage of social media because to me, there are few, well not few. There may be many, but few I know that are brave enough to wear, to step out of that box and not be just a clone of the girl next to whose not be wearing trends whether they suit you or not. Just being confident in choosing what you want to wear and how you want to wear it, and not just following fashion. To me, style is much more than fashion. Fashion is friend but changed every day. But if you don't have that style, and to me, that is what is what is ellen.
Speaker 1: No, I absolutely agree, but I do think that that's something that you either have to witness or it has to be instilled with you. For me, I have a mom that was always very stylish, so that's what I saw. She was a flight attendant for Air Jamaica, so she always even though she had a uniform, as you said, she always made things her own. So if it was a way she tied her scarf, or the way she weighed her you know, or her blows, I vividly remember that, and I remember the you know bus coming to pick her up with all of the flights attendants in tow and they all just had their own little style. And so that's what I witnessed. And then you know, persons like Antinovia very fashionable and putting their own style on things. So I think when you're surrounded by women that are stylish, you grow up knowing that it means more to have a certain style than to say you're wearing a name brand or you're exposing yourself, you know. But I do leave grace because some people they are only exposed to that, you know, to the opposite. So they have to kind of come into their own and build their own confidence to realize, Wait, I don't have to show my belly every time I go out, you know, I can wear nice blouse or whatever. But I think it takes time to get there if you're not exposed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it takes time to find your own luck exactly. It doesn't come at a young age. It may or may not come at a young age. I mean I took a long time. I mean I think maybe in my thirties I changed to just black and it was just about me. I woke color and it was just about every time I put on something black I've had more confidence, and I said, you know what, it's going to save me money if I do. Because I buy things in color, I do wear them. So it takes time to find what will to you what hell style will to you colors? So I understand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, definitely, definitely. But I'm glad you did share your thoughts with her as a young lady, because I think we're missing that as a generation, you know, the older generation kind of sharing their thoughts with us, because I think sometimes they're afraid, like, oh, they probably don't want to hear what I think. So I do think that that's important that you continue to do well.
Speaker 2: That's sometimes like tens. I remember once an intim saying someone came in and I probably made a similar comment or something, and she said, oh my god, how can you just how could you just tell her that? I said, well, I'm I'm going to wake and she goes to the gun and start saying, oh my god, did you see what you are?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: Let me tell you. I mean, she doesn't have to listen to me, or she can not agree with me, but at leasta I've told her she could think about it.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think you did the right thing. I think too often we're used to persons doing the latter, you know, saying it when you.
Speaker 2: Leave the room.
Speaker 1: But I think it's important because now she really probably will think about it. Although she had that response, she'll probably say, wait a minute, maybe I could be a little different than wear something different. Who knows, you know? All right, So, speaking of dressing persons, you've dressed everyone from first ladies to creatives. What remains constant regardless of you know, like you said with your mom, even their status or the era in how you approach dressing somebody.
Speaker 2: I think one that I love when a woman comes in, even if she does not I'm dressing her for the first time. I listen, I listen. I think it's important to listen to what your plan wants. Yeah, and you can then buy them, or you can disagree, or you can agree. But I think once we've started the process, I always say to them, why have you come to me? And they will say, oh, because we've so much about you, and you know, my friend told me you didn't. And I always say, you know, creative works best when they're trusted. So I'm not saying that I'm going to dictate what you wear. But trust me, you know, and when we do our first fitting. At the first fitting, anything can change. But trust don't question me around the name, because I think when someone questions you throughout, creative gets a little bit. It doesn't work well. It's a collaboration. I'm not going to say I'm putting you in a red dress and you have, of course not. Let's have the discussion, let's feel it, and then once you've given trust me, the first fitting might be you have to take in the sleeve or shorten the skirit, but let's say the second fitting. So I think a creative or I don't want I'm designing, I'm making, so I don't need you to come and tell me what to do or how to do it, right.
Speaker 1: I think, wow, that's so beautifully said. I think a lot of creatives listening would be able to agree with that. Myself, include you do want to feel trusted because I feel like if you don't feel that sense of trust, you won't feel like you're a part of what you're creating. So I think that's wow, that's really beautifully said.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, even like I sometimes because now I'm dressing like third and fourth generation, which is fabulous. So these girls come in for like their first communion or the confirmation or their graduation, and I say, I know when they come to the fitting. I said to one this week, I said, she so, I love what you're doing for me. And it's so. I mean, she sent me all these pictures. I understand, you're like fourteen, you've never had a dress made. You don't know that you have had this experience. You don't know what to imagine. So they come in and she sent me all these notes. I took the notes, and at the fitting you could see that she was surprised, relieve, ecstatic about the fit and everything. And I accept her, which is so funny, I said. When you're leaving, I said, you know, you tell me everything. Now we could change it. If good short, if you want it longer, if you want this, that we can do it. I said, Because a lot of kids they smile and when they get into the car with their mom, then I get the phone is bringing off the hook saying oh can you do this? She didn't like this, You tell me now, it's okay. I understand. It was so funny she got she said, no, I love it, And then I heard the door bell, and she came back, do you think I should have some sort of and then we figured it out for you. I understand because young people having it for the first first experience, it can be quite daunting, you know, because some going into shop or shopping online. But the comment to see if I can create what you imagine you want to look like on your day is something. It's daunting, absolutely.
Speaker 1: And also just the fact of our culture, right We're brought up to not really talk back to adults and to question things. So I love that you leave that space for them to feel comfortable. Because my mom used to get my clothes made for many years, like she just had to get them made and took me to a dressmaker, and I remember there'd be several times where I'd want to say, I don't really like that, but I was afraid because I just thought, literally exactly what you said. I can so sympathize with that that girl, because I just thought, oh my gosh, is that going to be rude, like if I say I don't like something or so. I love that you all feel comfortable woman, But.
Speaker 2: Most of the women, most of these kids these days, have no problem all. I am a guest at how they would respond to them mother. My gosh, Remember it's a different way of parenting.
Speaker 1: That's true. Yeah, that is true. Yeah, it is a lot different.
Speaker 2: So they have discussions and sometimes I'm a bit taken back that it's it's a little bit too disrespectful. But I listen and I say all the mother would respond. But and then sometimes I'm not saying old kids, but I'm saying that the kids now have a little bit more. I don't think they hold back very much.
Speaker 1: Ah okay, yeah that I could see that. That's true. I mean me, even at my big age, I still hold back. That's all it was raised. But but yes, I do think that kids growing up now or have more freedom.
Speaker 2: Day. Yeah, when I had a child, and I think that in my time, my mother just had to give me the.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh my gosh, I want to see that. Look you're set straight. So yes, I one hundred percent agree with that. So yeah, So in the Caribbean, where fashion has often been seen as aspirational or external, I feel as though you've insisted it can be rooted in the Caribbean. So what responsibility do you would you say that you feel, if any, to continue shifting that perception that you know, people need to go abroad in order to be successful.
Speaker 2: H Well, I think it can be rooted in the Caribbean, and I will I but sometimes I think the Caribbean or the island that we live in, Like I live in Trinado to Bago and I have a great clearantele in Tornato, Bago. But sometimes it's not enough because with social media, with everybody shopping online, okay, people feel that they you know, what they bring in, whether it's Sian or Timo or any fast fashion, it's better than what we do. So I think that a Caribbean designer has to find her tribe or find her followers in Tronado or in the Caribbean. But there's also a region that we can outside. I can shift to Jamaica, Barbados, wherever. And also if you want to try outside, maybe I know like Diotima, who is Jamaica and she's doing so well now in the in the caribb she's Jamaica and you may have known her labor. There's Athling Camps who is one of my mentees. She's in New York. So I think if they're lucky enough to carve a space in a foreign country is good, But I don't see that it has to be carved in a foreign country. If it's because they live there, I totally understand. But I think you can carve a space because social media has made the world very small. And I do a lot of mentoring, and I say to my mentees, you know, do not You're not just competing with the Trinadian designer who is standing next at your side. You're competing with the world because the world has become it has made and fashion want you on Instagram. Everything is that your fingertips. They're seeing you, they're saying you as a Caribbean designer. I think it's good that we can go outside and show or export. We all need, you know, money coming in from for it. Yes, I think it can be both. But I think if you're rooted in your island or wherever you live, and that is a source of inspiration for you, or you think that's it's easier to manufacture in your homeland, I think it can be done here. I think or I would love that the world. I mean, when you think about it, Japan has an amazing people look at japan As and they are my favorite designers, like Yogi and Yakki and so. But I think it's time now that the world looks at our region. I think the Caribbean you will find one designer. There's a designer Ferragamo, there's Boteama, there's Grace wale Is born out Jamaican too. They're all these that are flying there. You know, they're doing so well out of the Caribbean. But I think it's time that some light could be shown more on the region as a as a fare because a lot of people take our inspiration, like they talk your colors of Jamaica and they've run with it. You know. You see designers from all over using the Caribbean as the inspiration asolutely. It's time that we have some sort I don't know how it's going to happen. I don't know if it's going to happen in my lifetime, but I think the Caribbean is so Our culture is so rich. If you look at my cousin Landigo, there's carnival festivals, there's so many different religions. There's the Muslims, the Hindus, you know, oh Risha, there's so much. It's so colorful, it's so woven with colors, you know, with everything.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I one hundred percent agree. I think that there's a niche market that's missing from the fashion world, and like you said, rather than just take from the Caribbean, they should definitely be more inclusive of all the talent that we have, for sure one percent.
Speaker 2: And I have to thank no because Novia was Nova has really been, has really like promoted Caribbean fashion at least Jamaican from that. I mean, as I say sometimes I say, I feel that I'm more revered in Jamaica. Jamaica is the first people who gave me. You know, I used to go for Caribbean Fashion Week. I got my first award as Caribbean and Design of the Year. Novia had me at the Observer. She still does. She wears my garments. I think. I always keep saying she's the Anna Winter of the Yes.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I say that all the time. She must be so tired, and I think even you know, I, oh my god, you have avay yes, because I think.
Speaker 2: You know what I think of Novia that Okay, she's a Jamaican woman, but she's not insular and she keeps up with whatever is hastening. I mean she did fashion out in Jamaica. She's always pushing the envelope. In COVID, we did a use to the webinars.
Speaker 1: I remember that.
Speaker 2: Yes, she gave us a challenge of being a fast on film. You know, she's always on, She's always onto something new.
Speaker 1: Yes, she's very innovative. And you know, I really think I said this before, but I really think she can teach a masterclass in not only being innovative, but really being yourself and being able to use that to propel just anything that you want in life. Right, because she's really changed the landscape of fashion and even like the food awards and everything, and especially with women.
Speaker 2: Perfection, and each time she does it better. She doesn't. She doesn't settle, as they say.
Speaker 1: Absolutely not, absolutely not. I don't even think that's in her vocabulary.
Speaker 2: No, no, no. But she works odd. She works had very hard. When you said when you spoke about people thinking it's so easy, I know it's not easy. I've been in Jamaica where no farm. We would do a show or something and we'd be living at eleven or we'd have dinner and then she was going back to the Observer. But to get a page ready for the next one.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, she works very hard, and I think she's definitely one of those examples where people will look at her and say, oh, she's always so fabulous and you know, just think she just frolics around. And no, I'm glad you said that, because it's true. You know, she's one of the hardest working women that I know, and I really feel like she deserves I mean, she gets a lot of praise, don't get me wrong, but I think she even deserves more than that, because what she's been able to do for the fashion world within the Caribbean is really unprecedented, and I don't think a lot of persons really recognize how valuable that's been, especially within the last ten years or so.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly true.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I would love to know what you would say is your prodest legacy not just what you've created, but what you feel you've changed.
Speaker 2: Are two things I always say, I feel, but well, this is my legacy or what is well for now? I praise myself as being relevant and this is what I always want to be. I always want to be relevant. That is why I I you know, I surround myself with a lot of young, creative creative people. I mentor a lot, and although I might sit a younger, there there's no mystery. I also want to know what they think, what they are reading, what they are listening to, what they want where, because I feel that I don't want to be stuck at my age. So therefore, if you look at my page, you can see and I'm relevant or young women still want to be dressed by me. A lot of my clans have. As I say, I'm now dressing fourth generation. So for me, that is a big I'm proud of and always wanted to be relevant of what is happening in the world, what is what young people? And also I think in some way have changed Caribbean fashion. I think that that they've known that you can wear natural fibers, that you can wear linens and cottons and not only synthetics, that that there are people who out there who what can I say? I think most of all that I have can I don't know how, but I have changed Caribbean fashion in some way. However you have that. I also want to be real. I also want to be relevant and that also the other part of my legacy is that that there's always an my my home and my my shop is at six Scarlo Street, and my that six Color Street is an open door to all creatives, you know, whether you're in music, whether you're in fashion, whether you're an artists. People all stream through here at some time, you know, sometime or they are that carnival. We see so many creatives who are visiting that will come through just a pass through here to see me past students as I see a lot of people that I mentor people in the music industry, and then sometimes we would work kind of film or dress artists like David Rudders. So I always want Color Street to be a hub of creativity, a hub of something happen, of young people doing new things, you know, and collaboration. The other thing is about collaboration. Yeah, I just totally believe in collaboration. And soon I'm going to be doing a collaboration which is out of the box with fashion with a young designer who I'm very young male designer, which is in a genre in a style that I'm not read known for. So we're hoping to launch it in December. And I always that is about pushing the envelope and being relevant. I'm not going to just stick in my box. I want to share that.
Speaker 1: See, that's why you and Antinovia get on, because you guys are doing the same thing. Yeah, yeah, I love that. So basically your attilie is giving me very much thirty one rule Camon Chanel, you know that's that. I love that.
Speaker 2: But it's so funny you should say that because I was saying to them that I haven't young and who is quite amazing and she's taming because my home is filled with a lot of Caribbean art on the walls. It's an old gingerbread house, you know, like the houses a fret will tag you Sioli, which not had many more. But we've said it's in the center of the city, but it's a fably. It's like a surprise guardmen, you come in, okay. And she has always said that she wants a house because I know aufter recently I was reading about Chanel's apartment. Yes, and I have a friend who visited it, which was exactly and she's turban. Don't tell us me how, but she's timen because this house is over one hundred years Oh my god. I lived in it and we bought it in the seventies and we've booked, done it all the time, but that it would remain as is that she thinks she's going to be the house that she will come back. I mean, it's a dream, but it would be one of them all A bit stared.
Speaker 1: As yes, because that's that's so I'm like obsessed with Chanel. Antonovi knows this. And I went there with my mom for a Mother's Day once and they allowed us to go up to our apartment like where the stairs are and everything, and it was so fabulous just to know, like, oh my gosh, like Gabrielle Chanel really walked on these steps and here I am a little Jamaican girl walking out the steps, you know. So like that's always my thing, but that sounds beautiful, like that could really.
Speaker 2: Be You've always been in, Yeah, have you always been interested in? Yes?
Speaker 1: Because of my mom. I just always like my mom was the first person I just thought was the most beautiful woman ever, like just because she was always dressed to the nines. Till this day, I've never seen my mom in sneakers or flat shoes. My mom wears heels for everything. I'm talking when we go to Rome, when we you know, and they say please wear comfortable shoes. There's going to be a lot of walking. My mom's wearing like three in cheels and I'm going, mom, they said comfortable shoes, and she's like, well, these are comfortable for me. I'm not comfortable with flat shoes. So that's the kind of mom I have. And like you said, she's always stylish, like even when we travel and she'll pack like a few blouses and a few trousers and I'm like, that's it and she makes it look like it's off the runway. Meanwhile, yes you should. Okay, So this season, I'm allowing persons to ask me one question because they don't get to ask me anything. So is there anything that you'd like to ask me?
Speaker 2: Well, one of them I asked your passion, and then the other one is that you said you're a fan of Chanel. That's great, that's great. So what I wanted to ask you, so, well, how would you just Okay, great, I have a great, okay, great question. Okay, how would you describe your style?
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, I love this question. Oh man, huh. I would say, hmm my style is elegant mm hmmm, with a bit of Caribbean flair. I would say, so, meaning I will I don't have to always wear something that's extravagant, but I look put together with my own like style to it. So for example, yeah, So for example, like I will wear a pair of jeans and a white blouse and maybe like a really nice, you know, high end belt and some you know, very plain not plain but not fussy shoes, you know, just like looking put together something like that where I'm comfortable. But you know, if I meet and a winter and she wants to take my photo, I'm ready, you know, you know, you never know.
Speaker 2: That's great, That's great, that's great. I love it.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you.
Speaker 2: Well more color? Are you monochromapic?
Speaker 1: You know what's so funny? As you were talking, I'm saying, oh my gosh, mailing is explaining my life. So I used to love a lot of color, I would say, like five to ten years ago. I used to love wearing like a yellow or like a green or a purple. But I would say within the last five years, I've become very monochrome. Like I love you know, the khakis, the you know, white but off like you said, yes, I'm more of that, and yeah, and don't get me wrong, Like you said, every now and then i'll wear something with color. I think, out of all the colors, my favorite color to wear since I was a little child has been red. That's always my color, whether it's like a red lipstick or it's a red top. Something about red. I don't know, it's just.
Speaker 2: That's so funny. That's so funny. I always have Although a lot of my stuff shits are like in black, I would have one red, but no I haven't. Oh so red is always a color that I would introduce into my water in a minimal way like that, like bracelets or even maybe a red shoe. Yes, and even in my designs, you know my lasts one red line running through or one red line of stitching. It's always acts on.
Speaker 1: The crazy whoa of all the colors. Right, I need to get some mailing because it sounds like my type of.
Speaker 2: Fashion got to my Instagram here.
Speaker 1: Yes, definitely, definitely we'll coordinate that after for sure. Okay, so how.
Speaker 2: Long has you How long has your podcast? How long? When did you start your podcast?
Speaker 1: I started it in twenty twenty three, so yeah, it's only been two years. Yeah, after I graduated, I just picked up a mic and decided that I wanted to create a safe space for Initially, it started us to create a safe space for Caribbean people to come and listen to other Caribbean persons, whether they are celebrities or just my friends or designers and get inspired because I think a lot of times, unfortunately in our culture, a lot of what we're known for is maybe like the partying or the dancing or the gossiping and things like that. And I just wanted to create a space where it's fun and it's funny and we laugh, but you leave like learning something and feeling good about yourself. So yeah, and here I am got me. Thank you? All right? So for our last segment, I'm going to ask you six rapid fire questions and I want you to answer with the first thing that comes to mind. So just one word or one sentence, ready, Yes, what would you say? Is one item in your wardrobe that you will never part with?
Speaker 2: I think? My What's something that I've been wearing forever is my Parretti. Parretti is an Italian designer that I love and I have been on my neck and a pair of diamond earrings that I was given when my son was born. I never take them. Oh I love my son and my son is well, yes, children, so that's yes.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, I love that. Love that. Okay, next question, what is your favorite m I was going to ask Caribbean, but what's your favorite triny food?
Speaker 2: That's my favorite food? Yeah, ooh, I could say not doubles.
Speaker 1: Okay, that would be the expected answer.
Speaker 2: So yeah, a thing would be a rootie, a mini ROTI.
Speaker 1: Love that, love that. I love ROTI too, all right, love that. Okay. What is a book or a film that changed your perspective as a designer?
Speaker 2: That's a designer. That's a tough one. I think. I think probably going back to reading Coco Chanel's about the po biography, I love that that's really changed. I mean she was such a I mean.
Speaker 1: She was questionable, yes, yes, for sure, but just how.
Speaker 2: She started her whole life was, you know, growing up in like Convun and then hacking these five tissues from the fishermen and the trousers. How she was inspired and she was obviously a business very crop a business woman, but smart, you.
Speaker 1: Know, yes, yes, for sure, I love that. I love anything channel, So yeah, her story is definitely something to admire, for sure. Okay, a few more questions. What's something people misunderstand about fashion in the Caribbean.
Speaker 2: I think I think they feel that fashion has to be color because it's coming out of the Caribbean. I remember going to Yes, going being taken to the Pratapoti many many moons ago, and I was being sent by an agency, probably funded by the EU or something, and they said, so what are you going to show? And I said, well, I'm showing white linen shots with sand like sand, oatmeal trousers or oatmeal bottoms. And there was another designer going and she was showing like bright back aches, and of course they put her in front of me. It was okay in the booth, but that was when the first I got my first ex order from a French woman who had a shopping in Saint Martin, and she came and she loved the white linen shirt and carried my line and up to the end when she went back to Paris from Saint Martin. So I think they always think that coming out of the Caribbean, probably they think of Carnival. But I never want I know, I'm this square, I'm not going on longer than you are. I always think that. My My thing is is that if someone buys a garment from me, a white shirt, either from Trinidad or from a hotel boutique that carried, they should be able to carry back to a big city and integrate it into their city wardrobe with their suits, the blazers or so. So it's not like I went to the Hawaiian I'm wearing a Hawaiian shue. My shirt could be recognized because of the signature embroidery. But I just feel that their perception is that everything coming out of the Caribbean, and I understand this colofella coming out of Jamaica is red gold, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I think that's that's definitely a good answer because I think that a lot of people have a perception of just what the Caribbean can produce just based on what they see, you know, every day at tourist shops and things like that. So yeah, I agree agree with that. Okay, two more questions. If you could collaborate with any designer, past or present, who would it be.
Speaker 2: There's so many. I think any Japanese, any Japanese designer, maybe Ji, I would I would like yeah, I think, and I would like I would love to well with his life. He doesn't have a line, but someone else just because of his prints. His princes were so amazing. Only recently I was looking at his book and thinking, oh my god, if I had this prince.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: Love that.
Speaker 1: Okay, and final question, when you think about your impact, what do you hope a young Caribbean girl sees in your story?
Speaker 2: I would want well, I don't know if they'll say it, they'll see they will see that fashion you can. You can earn a living by with fashion, by being a fashion designer. But I would want them to understand that it's not as it's not all about glamor, because what I see happening now is that young designers if you're just getting the likes on Instagram or something, but then they cannot delivers. So although I might be known for my creative creativity and producing a good garment, if I didn't give good service, I would not be here after fifty years having this conversation with you. It's not just about your talent. It's about how hard you work or how smart you work, and how much how you pay attention to your clans, how you treat your clans, and how you deliver in a timely fashion, because Caribbean people are known to being late, and it's so important if you can, you can deliver. And I see so many of them, and you one as good as your last collection. My next collection, I may bombs you on as good as your last collection.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: So you don't just believe every every and I always say, you don't believe all the accolades you're getting, or you don't believe all your friends saying it was fabulous. You know, and your sales will tell you if it was, if it was done well. But also I always say, consider the source of the criticisms or kudos. Yes, that is very important.
Speaker 1: Yes, consider the source. Absolutely could not agree with you more because everybody's praise and everybody's criticism is not something that you should take in. Yeah ex, Okay, well that concludes the episode, but I would like to leave you with a little thank you if you don't mind. So I think that there are artists who are designers who follow pass and then there are those who carve them. And I believe that you have never simply followed fashion. You've refined it, redefined it, and rooted it in something far more enduring than fabric. You've rooted it in identity. And I think that you've shown us that discipline is actually a form of love, that legacy is not built by attention but by intention, and perhaps most powerfully, you've shown us that Caribbean women can lead a global movement without ever leaving her truth behind. And for me to witness your story and to hear your story, it is to witness what it means to be anchored and to soar. So yeah, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: God, you have tears, You have tears coming to my eyes. This is so beautiful.
Speaker 1: Don't tell me that I'm a crier.
Speaker 2: I haven't. I have an in turn listening to me and listening to this, and she's nodding ahead. Oh God, that was really very very sweet. And you must tell Novia, don't I Novia listen to your podcast, but you must tell.
Speaker 1: Nob Yes, I will for sure, for sure. No, this has been an incredible conversation. It's such a blessing to be able to talk to you. Hopefully I get to meet you in person one day, but it's I would love you, yes for sure. And do you would you like to tell the audience where they can follow you your website things like that.
Speaker 2: Yes, they Well, if you go onto my Instagram, which is mailing Ink Limited, they can follow me there and then if they go into the there, they'll also find my website. You can also DM me if you need if you see something that's not on the website but on my page, and that's not how you find me. And I'm on TikTok, I don't want to talk with my Interne has put me on TikTok how long as well? On TikTok three weeks less than a month. As you know, on TikTok, I you'll want to talk because I hear if I go on TikTok is going down the rabbit, Oh my godness. It's something to do. And it's been quite subsup I love that.
Speaker 1: I love that