Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday, we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property, And for this week of July fourteenth, we are continuing with Lost season three, episode six, Not in Portland, in which we learn how Juliet got to the island, or at least what her life was like before. We see Ethan again in flashbacks, say Ethan, just as.
Speaker 3: Creepy is that man? I'm so creepy.
Speaker 1: I saw him like right at the very beginning. She walks by him in a hallway and I'm like, yeah, I know that guy. Who is that? I realized who it was and my husband was like, no, that wasn't him. I said, rewind it, watch it again.
Speaker 3: He's like yeah, oh yeah, indeed.
Speaker 1: But well, and Sawyer and Kate have jungle adventures that made me think maybe I was accidentally watching Duster. Lots of shooting and running around. There's no cars, but yes, it had that kind of vibe. Yeah, and there is a surprisingly satisfying if sudden death by bus.
Speaker 3: Yes, there sure is. And we meet Nestor Carbonel Yeah, and also a baby rob mcleheney. How do you say his name? Mcalhenny? Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, who was he playing?
Speaker 3: He was the guard that they was.
Speaker 1: Okay, I thought I recognized that guy.
Speaker 3: I had to look on him who it was because I was like, I definitely recognize him. Yeah, later to be the always Sonny and Philadelphia guy. But but yeah, he's the one who, as Sawyer said, they did the like Wookie prisoner trick on.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But yeah. And then Nestor Carbonell, who I imagine is going to be back.
Speaker 1: Yes, he is.
Speaker 3: Playing they shadowy figure that recruited Juliet.
Speaker 1: He is a major recurring character in the mythology of all this, and it was nice to see him being, you know, somebody you apparently cannot say no to.
Speaker 3: He will cause a bus to.
Speaker 1: Can't get out of here unless my husband was like yd by a bus.
Speaker 3: Okay, we can read that twenty four hours later.
Speaker 1: Just so nicely done, because it's like I knew what was coming, and it's still even just just so sudden that guy though, that guy has had it coming. Ough gross, Yes, I never know I'd announced that. That actor's name Zelko Ivanuk, but he plays that sort of character so well.
Speaker 3: Yes, very very entertaining.
Speaker 2: So we're supposed to Okay, So Juliet's a fertility doctor and researcher of some kind, and she, you know, on the sly uses whatever drug she's developing, yeah, to help her sister get pregnant. Yes, but her sister like has cancer or something like what are we supposed.
Speaker 1: To Yeah, I don't remember or get all of that because yeah, I mean, obviously the head scarf is supposed to telegraph cancer, I would guess. And it seems like she doesn't have a partner because Juliette wants to bring her along to Portland, right, how yeah, because does the thing that she is giving her make it possible to get pregnant or does it impregnant? You I don't know, but I don't remember if we are invited to ask these questions or it's just if more will come of it. But at any rate, Juliette's not going to get to see what happens next because after the wid More home pregnancy test says positive, yes, yeah, and.
Speaker 3: This person seems to be the sister, you know, she seems to be like home bound, right, but yet she's in possession of the wain More pregnancy test everything else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just keep throwing that name in every now and then, just give us a chuckle. But yes, yeah, that all was very weird and probably just mumbo jumbo, yeah to get her.
Speaker 3: Well, it was just a misdirection of like, yes, whatever Juliet is injecting into her sister was supposed to be curing whatever disease she has. Oh no, it.
Speaker 1: Was yeah, so.
Speaker 3: Cash.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, the surgical drama continues.
Speaker 3: That's right, Jack is then Hi, I'm awake.
Speaker 1: So amongst the other things that they don't have at this hospital, along with a crash cart, is an anesthesiologist. Yes, sufficient, but they do perform surgeries nonethe last, Yes, Ben's tough.
Speaker 3: M just hanging out down there, face down, in facing like the cradle situation.
Speaker 4: Yeah mm okay sure, and still directing the action from his compromised position.
Speaker 3: Right like his kidney's supposedly like bleeding out. And also he's no longer anesthetized.
Speaker 1: Okay, what He'll just have a little chat with Juliet. Right, I suppose we can start to see why she has been so unpleasant, right, I mean, squirrel, she is not only is she not in Portland, she is where the heck nobody knows, right, So you know, we didn't exactly see the transition from I suppose she got on a private plane and then it went out to.
Speaker 3: This island where they are obsessed with children and babies and fertility until they did need her from.
Speaker 1: That they did. But it does not seem like she has been flying her trade. It seems like she has just been making muffins. Yeah, we don't see her lap necessarily or who exactly is she treating. Not a lot of gals on this island that we've seen.
Speaker 3: Right, and we've seen very few children and right, babies except for Aaron, who is not part of this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I wanted she At one point she said how long she had been there? Was it three years? So perhaps things have changed over the three years, and we will I'm sure see that at some point. I don't remember, but you know, yeah, she's got issues, don't they all? They do? Indeed, poor Carl is going to have some serious issues to earning his brain back from jello from in that room and these.
Speaker 3: Like glasses that I guess for me, Yeah, like trying to make his eyes stay open or something.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think so, it's like a I know I've heard what is that sort of thing for? Is it for like programming somebody to do something? Or I guess brainwashing or something like that. Yeah, anyway, does not look fun. No parenting tip, Dad's you may really dislike your daughter's boyfriend, but if you do stuff like this, she's gonna resent you. Yeah, I'm not gonna appreciate that. There's got to be a better way. Can't you just put him in a canoe and push him away from shore? You know, right, you don't need to turn his brain into jelly. Yeah, as tempting as that maybe, right, She's gonna find out. Yeah, she's going to be ticked.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It's not a way to develop a to develop or improve a relationship with your child. No, it's not going to work for you. No, I'm not going to do it. But you know, and yeah, I mean obviously this is all meant to be very confusing. But I mean, so Juliet's been there for three years, but that means I mean Alex has been there since she was a baby, right, yes, Like so Ben's been there a wild Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well he said he's kih the island all his life, his whole life. So we will get there eventually. Yeah, there's a whole world of flashbacks to come, and uh, you know, the newcomers have been hogging all the limelight. But eventually we'll get everybody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Nikki and Poe, Yeah, whether we need them or not, we will get their backstory.
Speaker 1: And we will get more of the same backstory of the people we know. But finally we will really.
Speaker 3: Hammer it.
Speaker 1: Alprid's is pretty trippy when we get there, but everybody eventually. But yeah, it's like there's a lot of there's a a great deal of the timeline of the others that is not currently filled in and it's hard to imagine what exactly, you know, because the sort of remnant ye thing they've got there now does not seem like anything that would have been represent you know, would be sending representatives out to recruit people and bring them back. So there must have been a breakdown at some point, I suppose, we imagine, right, and that have left us with this motley crew.
Speaker 3: Yes, and we didn't didn't get any of like here's what's happening back on no Way Beach.
Speaker 1: Last Pedia mentioned that this is the first episode that has taken place entirely off of our our usual island. Okay, so we did not see They're off having adventures with Nicky and Pallo and using the toilet at the new Hatch and.
Speaker 3: Collecting coconuts and that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Right right, you know, Desmond seeing the future and recommending things that they could change, and then they're doing it.
Speaker 3: So lot reading the the walking stick of mister Echo that told him to like look north or something, so he's like, okay, information, what else we had? Jack know, taking matters into his own hands as he is wont to.
Speaker 1: Do yeah, and Juliet calling his bluff about whether he'll really let somebody die on the operating right. I think she's right. I don't think you could. But he is right to not trust them to do.
Speaker 3: You know, because there's no way. It's like, okay, sure, here's you've done it, here's your boat, we'll see it by.
Speaker 1: Well they did. They did. Let Sawyer and Kate off the island.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Michael and.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's right. So and uh, Alex's boyfriend.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sure they were like, yes, you can go if you take this guy, don't let him come.
Speaker 1: What are they going to do with that guy? I'm trying to remember. If we ever see that guy again, he just wanders off into the jungle. He and Vincent have a nice uh right, about the same cognitive level. Poor Carl, Poor Carl. And what other parenting lessons can we get here? Parenting tips, the whole like call your bluff thing is yeah, something you might be able to employ it, but it's a risky move. Yeah, I guess Juliet does kind of a mom thing. And you know, I'm just gonna go take care of everything, right, just stay here, I'm gonna go. There's enough of this talking on the walkie talkie. I'm just gonna go help your friends. You do the surgery right, and so Jack goes well.
Speaker 3: And then he needs Danny as his nurse and Danny's not doing very well at that, right, is it Danny?
Speaker 1: No, I don't think it was Danny because I think Julie Danny later.
Speaker 3: That's right. She did with Tom.
Speaker 1: Yes, Tom friendly.
Speaker 3: Doesn't do well with blood. Well, my friend, you're in the wrong place. Yeah, you're in the wrong show, I think.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: Parenting tip is sometimes when things are getting very complicated and you know you don't know what to do, just say I'm gonna go do things. Yeah, I'm just gonna do this. I'm gonna take care of it. You guys stay here and then just flee. If you can actually do that thing you go off to do, all the better. But even if you can't, just walk around.
Speaker 3: Like I'm out of here. You guys can try to work this out on your own. I know you won't be able to.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you just need to split and then come back later saying it's all taken care of.
Speaker 3: Right, whether it is or not.
Speaker 1: To push them off on a very dicey looking boat and yeah, probably they'll make it. It's not that far.
Speaker 3: It's really not.
Speaker 1: I thought that was like a kayak or a canoe or something. And then all of a sudden they're putting up a saale. How is there a sale on that thing?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't I can say it just patically like knows how to use it. You know, she's like immediately working.
Speaker 1: My husband said that, You said, how did they know how to even do that? And I said, well, Kate's fugitive, she's very She's had to, you know, pick up a lot of and Sawyer's a con man, so he'll act like he knows what he's doing and we'll believe it.
Speaker 3: And sometimes that Actually.
Speaker 1: They're resourceful these too.
Speaker 3: See.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, well parenting tip, let your kids experiment in all sorts of unsavory practices and then they'll pick up useful life skills. Yeah, you know, when you say don't hang out with those kids, maybe they'll learn how to put up a sail in a boat, or how to you know, survive in a jungle hand to hand warfare, and uh, those things may comes. You want them to be able to, uh to work them work things out for themselves in any circumstance.
Speaker 3: Even on an island.
Speaker 1: Oh well, maybe they could learn to be an aniseesiologist, you know, just to the last minute. Should should wonder so useful? I still I kept wondering whether Ben and Julia were working together to mind game Jack throughout all of this, or if they really are at odds. Right, they probably really are at odds, but it did seem like a possibility that.
Speaker 3: It is hard to tell.
Speaker 1: The whole love actually thing was a setup between the two of them to get him to do it.
Speaker 3: Between Ben and Julius, between.
Speaker 1: Ben and Julia, to get him to hate surgery, hate hyphen surgery, not hate doing surgery, but do surgery out of hate. And even I mean even that discussion they could have been talking about are they watching us? Is he watching us? Okay, yeah, look look really serious now, now go ahead and storm out of the room. So yeah, I don't remember, so it could go either way. But you know, parenting tip, Sometimes you have to pretend to be addressing a situation by having a very serious discussion with your spouse although you really don't care, or you really find it hilarious what your child is doing or whatever, so you just go someplace where you can be seen talking but not heard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but don't don't laugh.
Speaker 1: Don't yeah, laugh, laugh with your face away or very quietly.
Speaker 3: Because that'll give you away.
Speaker 1: Yes, but sometimes a serious conversation is important, but you don't have one in you, so you've got to fake it.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: Well, we have all sorts of questions now right going.
Speaker 3: I don't think we'll be getting answers very promptly.
Speaker 1: I don't think anybody has those answers yet. I don't think they have been written. They are still in the business of throwing out questions, and we will get more of them, no doubt next Tuesday, when we will continue with season three, episode eight of Lost Flashes before Your Eyes, which is a Desmond flashback.
Speaker 3: I believe so, yes, because he is.
Speaker 1: The person currently having flashes before his eyes, right, so maybe he will be able to you will get flashes of things and be able to explain them to us. Yes, please, Fortunately was not there to tell the guy don't step out into the street.
Speaker 3: That's gonna be a problem for you, bud.
Speaker 1: Yep, yeah, but that's okay. We're just as glad.
Speaker 3: Yes, although if that's what caused Julie.
Speaker 1: To be where, I don't know.
Speaker 3: If you careful what you wish for Julie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I would you not be too freaked out to actually go get take this job that is now opened up to you by the fact that your eggs got hit by a bus, as you would previously wished in front of this guy who's recruiting you. Yeah, you might just say, you know what, Yeah, I's like to kind of think they get in badly for me. I'll just stay here, right. Oh well, but probably she didn't really have much choice or discretion in the matter. She's going there.
Speaker 3: Yes, we haven't gotten to the part where they explain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, surely they will, right right, they'll explain, they'll explain eventually. Sure, yeah, it could happen. But in the meantime, we'll see you back here tomorrow to discuss Duster. Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop, slash Mamitude, but you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.