Speaker 1: Bart home boy, we got plenty of reffing down here to get into. But before you, oh look at you the leonor Ryan near this morning. Yeah, busting out the leonor Ryan gear. Nicely done.
Speaker 2: How did they How did they do this weekend? Do you know? By the way at the top.
Speaker 3: Well, a lot of our athletic teams won this weekend, so very good.
Speaker 2: Well there you go, as always, And I.
Speaker 3: Have nothing for the women's soccer team over Emory and Henry. So that was a good one.
Speaker 1: Well well, I mean, you know, it looks like they were. It looks like Emery and Henry. We're just playing with only two. So well yeah, Bill and Mary, Emory and Henry. They're always playing shorthanded, all right, So reffing down here. We do know that there's plenty to talk about, right uh, But what I wanted to do was start by discussing what happened with the U twenties on the women's side. Yeah, getting the bronze medal in Colombia and doing it on a one hundred and nineteenth minute winner to get the bronze in an international tournament. So Hazahs and Serpentina to the youth national team and the U twenty side.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think first off, we have to understand that North Korea does this particular competition very well, especially when you consider how they're not very good at the senior level. I won't speculate as to why they're somehow really good at the U twenty level, but.
Speaker 1: Just before military duty, eh.
Speaker 3: But you know, there is just saying these youth tournaments are about possibly finding some players to help with the next cycle. Right, you get two U twenty World Cups basically per cycle. So if you get one or two from each U twenty tournament, right, maybe three, then you've won. And I think we show that there are three, four, maybe even five players that can potentially earn roles with the US women's national team coming up in you know, the twenty twenty seven cycle that we're now in.
Speaker 1: One hundred nineteenth minute winner for Maddy Dolling and it was a two to one win against the Netherlands bronze medal in the twenty twenty four U twenty Women's World Cup at the Estadio El kampen In in Bogata. So Americans best finish in the past five World Cups, dating back to their third and most recent title in twenty twelve, second success in the bronze medal game, last taking third in two thousand and four in Thailand.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, I mean again.
Speaker 3: This is I think this is good progress for a team that has struggled in the past editions of this, of this tournament, I still maintained that the coach is yes, yeahy Sivons has held this programm back for multiple World Cups. She will no longer be coaching the U twenty side. She is being shuffled to a desk job. Hopefully not for long either. But again, this is I have stayed on the same thought process for the longest, for the longest. Tide youth tournaments are great to participate in. You want to see good play, you want to see some promising talent. But this was even I think, you know, this finally met expectations, John right, Like I think for the longest time, we've been like wired. Our you twenty is doing well. And the fact that they get bronze, they beat the Netherlands, a country that we've been told is caught up to us, went farther than Spain, a country that we've been told has surpassed us with players by the way who were playing in NWSL, a league that we were told isn't good enough to compete with the rest of the world. That is, that is truly the wonderful thing here.
Speaker 1: Also, let's see so running through the superlatives. Ali Center's goal her third of the Women's World Cup after her goal in Germany was changed to an og twelfth of her U twenty career, also scored in the twenty twenty two U twenty Women's World Cup, ends her U twenty career with four World Cup goals. Geselle Thompson's assists her second of attorney Pietro Tordin, leading scorer in the tournament, finishes her U twenty career six goals in thirteen U twenty caps. Dudley scores twice, giving her five U twenty goals and thirteen appearances.
Speaker 2: Local whoop woop. I think that's what the kids do these days?
Speaker 1: Did they still did the whoop poop when they celebrate Euni McCormick two goals to assists all the tournament awards announced after the twenty four FIFA U twenty Women's World Cup Final in Bogata featuring Korea and Japan. Teagan why A backup in twenty twenty two Stellar Roll Tournament, several key saves contributing to the eventual bronze medal. So twenty six to eleven in shots, nine on three shots on goal, two saves for the US compared to eight for the Netherlands. Seventeen corner kicks for the US match.
Speaker 3: That's pretty a performance against the Netherlands. Now, granted it's a bronze medal match, but you know that that is also john kind of the mentality building, a rebuilding, I should say of this program, where you know, in the past the US women always take bronze medal game. Seriously, that is just as important to walk away with the medal at any level, right, And so to see the girls come out with such a powerful and meaningful performance in a match that most teams wouldn't really care about, right, I think that's fair to say the third place match.
Speaker 4: Is generally just like we're here.
Speaker 3: That's great again, rebuilding the mentality, the winning mentality of the program.
Speaker 1: Uh and you know the beauty of staring at my mail means this. We actually have even more breaking news, and it's a venue announcement. US Soccer selects Saint Lewis to host critical CONCACAF Nations League quarterfinal November eighteen. So US Soccer has selected Saint Louis, mo well that.
Speaker 4: That actually is a good I think that's a good location.
Speaker 3: Saint Louis, you know, has proven to be a pretty well supported MLS team, and it makes sense to go from Saint Louis to probably a Central American country looking like Costa Rica, Honduras, Guatemala, maybe Jamaica.
Speaker 1: Maybe A kickoff for City Park set for eight o'clock on November eighteen. Match broadcast on every network imaginable.
Speaker 3: I think the problem is they had to fly in and out of Saint Louis International, which is by far one of the worst experiences.
Speaker 2: And Lambert so Lambert Lambert has not improved. Huh.
Speaker 3: They spend all the money on the other side of the state for that airport approval.
Speaker 1: TNT true Universo, Max Peacock and FDP Radio first step toward their fourth straight CONCA CAB Nations League TITOL. They've won every edition of the competition since it launched in twenty nineteen. Third trip to the home of the Saint Louis City sc following two dominant shutout victories in their first two visits eight one and three in Saint Louis in their careers. Ticket information pre sales Monday September twenty third, including Friday September So coach a circle, President's circle. So get your tickets, become an insider, get more. There you go, visa pre sale. So it's it is a visa pre sale. I don't know if you have to show that to wander in the door. Hi, here's my visa and so there you go. You get into the pre sale. So there you go. So it's heading to Saint Louis for the week before Thanksgiving to find out what's what's.
Speaker 2: Going on the ooh that.
Speaker 3: Is right after the let me look at my schedule real quick. Yeah, that's the Monday after.
Speaker 4: Georgia host Tennessee.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, so you see, now you got it. You gotta get your money squared away.
Speaker 3: No, you gotta figure out which when you're going to if you're you're a Tennessee U g A or US soccer.
Speaker 2: Fan, well, or you could just whip out. You could whip out your visa card.
Speaker 4: And sit there and go, this is gonna get I'm sure that's why they want you to use it.
Speaker 2: A plastic vacation exactly.
Speaker 1: Uh okay, so I'm going to uh tell you why don't we build to it?
Speaker 2: All right? So what do you what do you want to handle? First? Do you want to handle?
Speaker 4: I wanna? I want to handle. We'll get into We'll get into Atlanta United. Let's do that one first.
Speaker 2: All right, We're gonna do that one first, okay. So here's what we do.
Speaker 1: We're gonna replay, and like I said, this is the network version. This is the network call of Callum and Kaylan for goal number four. Callum and Cale. I know Calum and Calen. Uh and so this is Callum is Callum Williams and Kaylen Carr. This is their call from Apple TV Plus and MLS Soccer goal number four from the match this weekend. And I know that you already had some interaction with folks on social media about this particular play.
Speaker 2: So here we go.
Speaker 1: Provided I, oh, I don't know, maybe if I turned the damn volume up, people.
Speaker 2: Would have heard the thing.
Speaker 1: Good Lord, you're sitting there, you turn the music down, and all of a sudden it's down, and then you turn the music back up, and then nothing's there. So anyway, Uh, now that I've got the volume back up, let's try it again once again, courtesy of our friends at Apple TV plus and Major look and have him.
Speaker 2: Settled for anything?
Speaker 5: In this one he's continued to change the team pretty much.
Speaker 2: The tale.
Speaker 5: We're just out a minute, stop well ten town something. It's the center back, no one I love him stands this up to Tillanne.
Speaker 2: Listen. It's a courageous header from him. He was disappointed they didn't take all three points.
Speaker 1: In it's nothing like It's like, okay, I turned the music down, but it don't turn the loop off anyway, so you got to hear it. Kind of one plus anyway, I know that. And as I mentioned in our number one, you're a fan. You're a fan of the Grand Final, the Grand Finals coming up in Australian rules football. And to be perfectly honest, looking at that play, I swear to god, the only thing missing was the play by play with Callum and Kellen going it's a mark you know? Is something like that from Australians? What in the blue hell play?
Speaker 3: Okay, so I understand why Atlanta U added fans went let's be called a foul.
Speaker 4: It does appear that.
Speaker 3: The headache the attacker jumps on top of Omador.
Speaker 4: It does appear that he.
Speaker 3: Invades maybe his vertical personal space, oh personal vertical space. Oh yeah, whatever modifier needs to be in. However, I think the issue that we're looking at here is the attacker doesn't use his arms or any other part of his body to gain that aerial advantage. And the other problem is Amador is backing up. He is moving backwards, possibly into the same vertical space that we're claiming he occupies. That vertical space may be occupied by the attacker at that point in time, I really didn't have an issue with this not being called I'll be quite honest, because it didn't seem to me that he used any sort of unfair advantage outside of apparently being able to jump like an NBA player. And while we want to be upset that he eventually does contact, that contact is mainly because Amodor backs up into him. He seems to be the one who has gained control of that space. And again, he doesn't use his arms. He doesn't like push off of them, he doesn't push into them.
Speaker 4: It looked fairly legal. I'm really sorry, guys.
Speaker 2: Okay, Like I said, I mean that that it turned into a h it turned into an issue and turned into a hot button topic for goal number four.
Speaker 3: But it did, and it's not not controversial. I just think that as the referee, you look across.
Speaker 4: You.
Speaker 3: You know you have some advantage with the ar right, but if you don't see the actual foul. Again, we don't see him pushing down. You have an ar there who could have possibly given you.
Speaker 4: Some direction as well.
Speaker 3: But it it just seemed to me that he won the position one control of that space before Amador got there. And when you look at it on broadcast, you can clearly see to me that he is moving in this way amin or is moving that way, and he is just the one jumping and he doesn't necessarily fly into him. He goes fairly straight up and down, which is another thing that we are kind of looking for. You know, it's not quite the same as basketball. We do try to make sure that you have you know.
Speaker 4: Your vertical space.
Speaker 2: But so the principle of verticality.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the principle of verticality is still somewhat applies, but again you have to be in control of that vertical space. And I don't think Amador got it unfortunately.
Speaker 1: Okay, Like I said that, this is I'm gonna go back and watch the match, and then I will go back and I will zuppruder the film so I can sit there and see principles of verticality.
Speaker 2: If there any advantages or gained or anything like that.
Speaker 1: Okay, the other element of the weekend, and this gives us a chance to kind of talk about things in the the Premier League as well, since we already talked about the possible takeover of Everton. Oh my god, one of the world's national nightmares might actually be over by the Freakin Group and that creates another nightmare. Just ask Nick, I'm sure is the matchup with Arsenal and Manchester City. So first and foremost, where Comma Sircama capital s were you when this match was going on?
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 3: Running after teenagers amount of soccer field being yelled at by various of them.
Speaker 2: God lord, oh boy, so you got you had to You had to watch this on like later.
Speaker 3: And I yeah, I had to check with it on my fot mob map as I'm going app as I'm going around and games. I thought for a second about asking one of the boys on the bench.
Speaker 4: Like, Hey, who's got a phone? You can give me an update QUI. There was some hot takes.
Speaker 3: Some of them included Messi as only a top ten player by the way, And I didn't I was on the line for that game, and I I I didn't jump into the conversation, but I was, Wow.
Speaker 4: Messi is only a top ten planet. Wow.
Speaker 2: Okay, So what I wanted to we may have to do this two separate.
Speaker 3: Ways and talk about Michael Oliver. I think that's a good place to start. I think that's the best way to start this discussion of this match.
Speaker 1: Sure, because there were a couple of moments where Michael Oliver kind of perhaps mentally went walk about as a as a middle official.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And what I said to folks before you were coming in is that we might have to do this two ways.
Speaker 2: We might have to do this.
Speaker 1: With you with your rose colored arsenal glasses on, and with you being as neutrals.
Speaker 4: I do think I'm neutral in this sense, right.
Speaker 3: I think Michael Oliver had a not very.
Speaker 4: Good day at the office. I think that's fair to say.
Speaker 3: I think he struggled to maintain for himself the lines that he he himself drew.
Speaker 2: He actually drew lines.
Speaker 3: What wait a minute, right, and watching it back, you know, listening to the commentary, they were and you can tell this is coming from you know, I think it was is it grammarly who was doing it? But coming from a former professional player, it was frustrating for them to watch a referee not be able to keep consistency, but not just consistency and like, oh, you know, not just calling fouls or not. Because I think he did an okay enough job of like trying to keep fouls at a level, right, he lets some physicality go. But the problem is some of his decisions about how he managed the game, who he talked to, what yellow cards were and weren't given, were problematic.
Speaker 4: And again I think.
Speaker 3: Part of his issue was, just as Ropes puts out in the comments, it was a little bit main character syndrome. He felt he had to be the one to control the match and that is his job, but he didn't do a good enough job of controlling himself within the match, and that happens sometimes. I will be the first to say I had this issue on my third game. Now, granted I'm doing three games. Michael Oliver gets won and gets paid a hell of a lot more money.
Speaker 4: Than I do.
Speaker 3: But I had this issue with my third game on Sunday where I was tired. It was ninety seven thousand degrees and kids and parents are going around yapp in the whole time, and I'm just like, y'all need to stop.
Speaker 4: So I gave a lot of yellow cards for dissent. It felt good.
Speaker 2: Parents yellow cards, bang wish.
Speaker 4: I gave the coach yellow card.
Speaker 3: He got mad that I called a penalty kick for his team. I'll talk about that later, but it was it was a problem with him not controlling himself. I think that was really what it was. He was unable to keep himself at an even cool thing.
Speaker 2: He didn't control himself.
Speaker 4: He was not an even temperament.
Speaker 3: He was not in a consistent frame of mind himself, And I think that is where we got into the trouble, where, you know, some things were conversations, some things were fouls, some things were yellow cards, some things were let go completely uh, And he seemed to the fouls themselves were okay, right. I think most people you can watch, oh okay, some fowls were let go some more, but like that's gonna happen on any match.
Speaker 4: It's the all the other stuff.
Speaker 3: You know, he's chatting up players in the box who are just happened to be standing next to each other, you know. But then on the goal that Arsenal scores to go up to one before the half, Kyle Walker sitting there slapping Gabrielle Martinelli.
Speaker 4: No, Gabrielle.
Speaker 3: Magas you know, before the match, before the kick happens, and Gabrielle gets one up on him as scores. But it's like, so, why aren't you discussing that, which is clearly a player trying to antagonize an opponent. But two players who hapen to just stand next to each other in the box is fine, Like those types of Okay, well which.
Speaker 4: One are you commenting on? Right?
Speaker 3: And it happened to all game where it was like, well, okay, you know, Thomas Party maybe got away with something.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: Granted, Rodery, I don't know what he was doing in this game, because it seemed like he was just ready to fall to the ground anytime someone looked at him.
Speaker 4: Weirdoll and then an incident at.
Speaker 3: The very beginning set the tone for Michael Oliver the whole match, but also set the tone for what City and Arsenal were trying to do. City was trying to play the victim and Arsenal was trying to play the aggressor. And you saw that throughout the entire match, and Oliver didn't really address either part side until he decided to just give yellow cards for I don't know what he was giving yellow cards for sometimes, you know, And we can talk about that particular incident of Troussard second yellow.
Speaker 2: Yes, that was.
Speaker 3: Also a great example of Oliver not holding any light.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he his his The only thing consistent was his inconsistency. I guess, uh you had there. There were a couple of moments that have stuck out with folks and uh and the I think the the larger element in all of this was Michael Oliver's lack of consistency. And you're wondering where the line is in any given moment.
Speaker 3: You know, it's like drawing a line in the sand during the sandstorm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's kind of what it was like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or being the turf apparently at h at the plow Lane with Wimbledon after a flood.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: It don't remind me as a remember the Dons trust God, that's gonna be expensive to fix, and apparently it might be a sinkhole. Okay, so a couple of moments. Let me then this is gonna be random. It probably won't be in time order.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: So Manchester United scores, City equalizes, it won Aerling. Holland decides he wants to pick up the soccer ball and uh, sorry.
Speaker 2: I think this was too two. Sorry in my bed.
Speaker 1: One of the equalizers where Holland picks up the ball throws it at Gabriel's.
Speaker 3: Head was the equalizer at the very end. Yeah, lately, Yeah, it's nothing by this. This this is not the first time Holland has done something not disagreeious, but he has a tendency to show boat after uh you know, I mean truly taunt opponents after goals. This is not the first time he's done this. And to throw the ball at the back of someone's head like that, that is possibly violent conduct. I'm sorry that just that cannot be unchecked.
Speaker 1: And that went without any kind of repercussion or anything.
Speaker 2: It's just like you threw it.
Speaker 1: I mean literally, You've got players with jerseys over here, you know, throws the throws the ball. I want to ask about uh, the the Califiori equalizer? Okay, where you have literally and because of once again not knowing where the line is and not knowing where conversations are and where where things are, where things stand, So Kyle Walker is apparently ordered over to speak to Michael Oliver, yes, and so called over, and then he doesn't have time to recover his position before Arsenal takes a quick free kick which leads to the equalizer, and you have a moment like that, and then after that you you see Kyle Walker and Pep Guardiola getting into it because Guardiola was furious, and I imagine that Kyle Walker is in turn saying, look, I would he called me over to talk to him. That's why I was out of position, knowing how positioning is so important for Pep Guardiola. When you have a player that you call over or any of your any of your friends and any any of your your officiating crew types, when you have a when you call a player over after a whistle in a you know, a free kick situation, what is your allowance for after the conversation is over? When is that moment happened for you and your in your cohorts and then how what's the spacing there to allow play to reset.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know if there's a cut and dry answer. There does need to be for them. There should be a whistle for the restart or at least some indication of we're playing right.
Speaker 4: You do need to give that when you stop the match.
Speaker 2: There was one.
Speaker 4: There was either.
Speaker 3: And I did see I did physically see Michael Oliver do the you know, the arm play off like come play, but like he went, you.
Speaker 4: Know, up and back.
Speaker 3: But it wasn't an immediate Okay, we're done talking, keep playing. There was a couple seconds, but at the same time, you know, we're trying to get on the game.
Speaker 4: And I think the issue here was for.
Speaker 3: Was because Kyle Walker was out of position from where he normally would have been defending.
Speaker 4: But we can't penalize the team.
Speaker 3: That got the free kick because we need to wait for wait, we can't just wait for players to get back into position every single time. And that's the other kind of the tightrope that we're walking here is well, what is a fair amount of time to get back? But also you committed the foul, right and Arsenal had we not stop play to talk to Kyle Walker may have taken a freak a quick free kick anyway, and that's it's hard because you you don't want to give the attack, you don't want to nullify the attacking team's advantage, right, but you do want to try to be fair.
Speaker 4: And I don't think he didn't not have.
Speaker 3: Time, but he definitely hadn't didn't have time to get way back in position.
Speaker 4: But again, you're the foul was not.
Speaker 3: On the you know, right side, on the third, on the attacking third for Arsenal, Right, it was at mid field. Yes to me, I'm going, well, Kyle Walker was already out of position. So again, it's not fair for Arsenal to let Manchester City get set in a defensive formation after they've been given a free kick type of thing.
Speaker 1: Okay, ish housing, I want to get into that because that was something that uh, Manchester City was not too fond of. Was apparently the number of folks for Arsenal going down with alleged cramps, et cetera, et cetera. Once again, and going into this section, it is not something that you can you cannot assume if and correct me if I'm wrong here. It is not something that as a center ref you can assume one hundred percent in the negative. You cannot assume ish housing. You have to give the player the benefit of the doubt. But you can take evidence in its empirical nature and appliet Am I wrong?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: I mean, look, you can't be sure if a player is injured or not because in this game of soccer, people pick up knocks and cramps and pain painful things all the time. So you do have to allow them. You have to understand you have to allow them to have that right. But that doesn't mean that they can take forever. That doesn't mean you can.
Speaker 4: You need to wait for them to be okay.
Speaker 3: You as a referee can speed up the process. So it can either be you quickly call the training staff onto the field or you say you you get your watch out. Like a lot of MLS rules are trying to do, is quicken the time you're allowed to be injured basically right, And while the Premier League doesn't have that stipulation, you can you can be there as a reference. I well one, I'm atting the time. You know, you start keeping track right then and there and to say okay, well we need to get him off the field, so there are ways as a referee that you can make this quicker.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry that Manchester City feels hard done by a Premier League thing, because I'm sure they've never had any advantages given to them by the Premier League or any other never, but they do have, you know, they have some level of gripe that Arsenal was trying to waste time, trying to you know, well but at the same time, right, but at the same time, they're just not used to being to losing at home because they get every single advantage that's ever been afforded to any team ever. So this I think it's more about them again playing the victim mentality here and saying, oh, well, how dare you not give us the benefit of the doubt when you know the other team is there's two teams on the field, and Manchester City forgets that there are other teams and they're allowed to do things too. But no, John, I mean that's the point, right. We've had this issue with Atlanta United where teams come in and they start wasting time and it's like, well, yeah, that's they're what they're going to do, you know, But.
Speaker 1: It's just set but it's up to the center f and the crew to understand where is housing is and al and navigate the rules them correctly to where the ish housing doesn't get out of control.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And then that was where I think Oliver again, yeah, unable to control the match very well. He didn't take measures to either control it or quicken it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Again, you can't stop a player from going down injured because again you don't know if they're entered or not. You can take measures to make that stoppage quicker.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: And there is a yellow card given to a player on the bench for legedly telling of it right to go down, So clearly he wasn't he wasn't out of tune to this. You know, kid hasn't even played a minute of Premier League action and he's got a yellow card, which quite honestly not the not the dumbest thing that we've done that I mean to think about it.
Speaker 1: If there's there's a hold on the sidelines who hasn't played lick of action, right, and you're the manager, go to him and sit there and say, okay, I need you to say this, tell right, because A when's he gonna play? B when's he gonna get another four yellows to sit there and write off.
Speaker 2: I mean in a way that is brilliant.
Speaker 3: I mean, the seventeen year old who's really on the bench right now because of injuries and players missing time, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is like that's the thing, is like this is the ship housing that you know it?
Speaker 3: It happens right And again the referee, at least in this incident, said you can't do that and gave a yellow card for it. So I mean it's not like he didn't not deal with it. I don't think he did a good enough job of actually controlling when it happened. Because again, you can't stop a player from being injured. You can, however, make things a little bit quicker. And as he showed be in tune of is this the strategy?
Speaker 4: What is the coach saying now to.
Speaker 2: The moment that.
Speaker 1: We really wanted to get into here Now, I'm not talking about Erling Holland telling the kill Arteta to stay humble after the match, and apparently that did show up on camera with audio, but the decision to dismiss Leandro Trossard, Yeah, with a second yellow he'd been booked for pulling Savigno back, and this is how it was worded in the telegram. Our Teta was furious about the decision to dismiss Trossard, who had already been booked for pulling back Savigno after decland Rice had been sent off in similar circumstances for kicking the ball away against Brighton.
Speaker 2: Sorry but the declan Rice, you don't do that. If it got seen, it got seen.
Speaker 1: Jeremy Dunkhu escaped censure in the game for kicking the ball away, although the City winger appeared to be kicking it towards the area he felt an Arsenal free kick should be taken.
Speaker 4: No matter, it's not your ball.
Speaker 1: Ur Teta said, quote, it's obvious. It's that obvious that it's not necessary to comment on it. It's the second time this season. I'm expecting one hundred Premier League games to be ten against eleven or nine y ten this season. Let's see, it's already happened twice in five games, which is very worrying to see in the best in the best league, the Premier League.
Speaker 2: So Trussard, because of.
Speaker 3: How it I will admit this is going to be hard for me to talk about because it's happened to us twice. And I think, more importantly, as mentioned in the article, the opponent did the same thing before. We got a yellow card for doing something, in my opinion, less egregious.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 3: For Trossard, I understand why it was called. You know, he kicked the ball away late. It felt more like a continuation of play. Sure it was after the whistle, that's fair. Yeah, what Djoku did was way more egregious. I don't care if you think, oh, well, it's back there, that's not your ball and it's not your job to do that, right, That's that's not how this works.
Speaker 4: Also, I can use then.
Speaker 3: Declar Rice was just kicking the ball away where he thought the fair kick should have been. That is a terrible terriffuse to use to excuse someone who, five seconds after the play has been called a foul, is kicking the ball away. And again that's the issue is Trossard looked like he was just continuing play.
Speaker 4: Now, I agree that could can be a yellow cart.
Speaker 3: The same thing we wanted in the Brighton game, when the player the ball goes out of play and he knocks the ball seventy yards down the field could be seen as a continuation to play. I don't know why you would knock the ball seventy yards down the field like that, but can be seen because it was a rather quick succession. And that's different, I think, than knocking the ball away for a free kick, right, because what Declan Rice did was.
Speaker 4: Not a continuation to play.
Speaker 3: That's very true. He knocked the ball away after a foulbon call. He's walking away, he sees the ball, he knocks away. I understand why a referee thing SUTs the yellow card. So what Djoku does is similar to what Rice does. But Rice gets penalized. But because Manchester City is Manchester City, they don't get it.
Speaker 4: But Trossard, who.
Speaker 3: Is continuing play, gets booked immediately, right, and more importantly, the foul itself probably also is in a yellow card given the context of the match. And that's the other issue is if the yellow cards for the foul, that's a really soft yellow card and the context of the match that he has called right, the yellow card for knocking the ball away when City players did something more egregious.
Speaker 4: Right, It's just it's hard. I know.
Speaker 3: You can say all Arsenal needs to learn their lesson, and I agree. The problem is again consistency, so other teams are allowed to do it without any real penance or any real.
Speaker 4: Adjudication from the referee at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, repercussion.
Speaker 3: Oliver even yelled at Arsenal about it when Joku did it. I'm sorry to talk about it as an Arsenal fan because it has happened to us twice.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 4: It.
Speaker 3: It's frustrating because other teams do it and and our touch is correct. Is like, well, if we're gonna be this, if we're gonna police it this hard, yeah, then you're gonna have a lot of games where you're gonna have ten nine players on the field.
Speaker 4: And I think we go back the game last.
Speaker 3: Year between these two match these two teams when a City player was on a yellow card and did something that should have been deem does second yellow, but wasn't given because Michael Oliver quote didn't want to affect the game. Yet this in the first half. Now, again, tross Art shouldn't be putting yourself in this. You know, the first yellow card stopping a promising attack not great. Second yellow card avoidable. They're both avoidable. But again, why does one team get extra allowances, get extra room, but the other team doesn't.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying that's why I said, I figured we'd have to ask you the question two separate times, for you, the the Arsenal fan to discuss and for the ref to discuss. We do have the what's the mugge this morning?
Speaker 4: By the way, Sydney.
Speaker 2: Okay, there you go. Yes, I remember that trip. I remember that I was.
Speaker 4: I was on I was down there.
Speaker 2: With with your late with your late night local time phone calls to us to.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So here's here's how Guardiola was asked about it, and Kyle Walker was asked about that moment after the match, the one that we.
Speaker 2: Discussed where Kyle's asked to come over.
Speaker 1: So Pep said in the future quote, I will say to my players, when the referee says, come and talk to me, we will not go end quote, but added that his players should have been compensated, should have compensated for the situation by reorganizing.
Speaker 2: So Pep is saying a.
Speaker 1: He's like, Okay, if if a ref wants my player to come over, I'm going to tell him don't. But at the same time, his players should have reorganized. If Kyle Walker was going to talk to Michael Oliver. They should have had the foreign knowledge to reorganize to be prepared for something that short.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, go ahead, Yeah.
Speaker 4: That's the issue, right is I think.
Speaker 3: Again, even if the referee gives Walker a second two seconds, does that mean he's fully back and again, how does that affect the attacking team?
Speaker 1: So then Walker felt Oliver should have been given him, should have given him time to get back into position. Quote from Kyle. I'm not ever going to come on national TV, national radio and start slagging people off, because there's enough of that going on around in the world. What I'm saying is I've not gone over to the referee. Me and but Kyosaka have not gone over to the referee. He's called us over.
Speaker 2: Quote.
Speaker 1: So if I'm being called over to the referee, he then should wait and allow me to get back in position before the ball is then gone over my head. So if I go over to the referee by my own accord and I'm out of position, it's my fault. But I'm in position. He's called the two captains obviously to calm the players down. I'm walking back saying, lads, concentrate nothing stupid, make sure we get through this, the ball's then going over my head. Me and Mike have a very good relationship, and I think he has a very hard job, especially at the top level. So that's not me being critical of him. I know he has a hard enough job. He's got twenty two angry players screaming at him continuously. If he calls me over, if I go over of my own accord, fair enough, But for him to call both captains over and then not let me get back in position. If I was a goalkeeper, does he let me get back into my net? Of course, I'm a defender. I'm the first line of defense. He should let me get back in and be set and then blow the whistle.
Speaker 3: So he agrees that kaya Soaka should have been given time to get back into position to start making an attack. Okay, love that. Okay, so there you go. Uh So, I understand it. But this is what the laws of the game say. And this isn't specific to this instance, but this is kind of it falls under this category right delaying the restart to show a card. Once the referee has decided to caution or send off a player, play must not be restarted until the sanction has been administered. Unless the non if any team takes a quick free kick and has a clear goal scoring opportunity in the referee can wait to sanction the player until after his hat now, but once the sanction has started, all that it says is must not be restarted until after until the sanction has been administered. So in this case, he brings him over, he says, boys, stop it. You know, that's the sanction. He stops the conversation. Arsenal takes the kick. Now again, you you can absolutely say he's you know, I could have needed time to get back.
Speaker 4: I think that's fair.
Speaker 3: But both, especially in this case, both players were, both teams were involved in this right and so both players in theory are now down a player from this particular thing. It's not an unfair complaint from Kyle Walker, but again, what you it's not fair to the attacking team to let the the defending team get completely set to take a freaking you know.
Speaker 1: According to Rob Dawson earlier this morning, Erling Holland will not face punishment for them. Of course, Gabriel Mogelize in.
Speaker 3: Being the ball at someone, it's not at all sanctionable, but you know, kicking the ball slightly after the play that deserves the red card.
Speaker 1: So Dawson says the incident was missed by Michael Oliver spotted by v R. John Brooks, who decided it did not constitute violent conduct. Source told The Four Letter of the Fare happy that the incident was dealt with at the time in Holland will not face retrospective action.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean they're very happy that Earling Holland will continue to play and not have to face any punishment because you know that serves the Premier League.
Speaker 2: Well well, and it serves my fantasy, just like just.
Speaker 3: Like not calling past interference in the end zone against the Chiefs.
Speaker 2: Serves Oh boy, oh brother.
Speaker 1: I mean that's uh yeah, that's a that's a diff that's a different kind of reffing down here.
Speaker 2: That's for the college football side.
Speaker 3: I don't have a certification in that, so I won't speak, but I'll just say, I don't know, man, look looked a little fishy.
Speaker 2: Well like I said that.
Speaker 1: That's that's We talked about that on the college football side on Sunday mornings and Tuesday night, So that's that's when that one gets discussed. Anything else from a a refing perspective or a national perspective. Stick a feather in your cap from this weekend.
Speaker 4: However, however, well, well know I love how that came back again.
Speaker 2: Wait, hang on, see you got to set me up for something like that.
Speaker 3: Hit it, I do credit Tory Penso. I thought that what we're seeing from MLS referees finally is a good cadence to delivering decisions.
Speaker 4: I thought pen So did a good job.
Speaker 3: What's it our penalty of their penalty, the penalty they got where explain exactly what happened?
Speaker 4: Right, give some sort of context?
Speaker 3: Right, this player did this? Therefore this right? And I thought penco a good job of Like, okay, this player was in an offside position. Okay, cool, we understand that. However, great, Okay, So we're explaining the decision, right, That's the point of these calls using the microphones is to explain the decision.
Speaker 4: And we've seen.
Speaker 3: We've seen how NFL and college officials find ways to better explain things succinctly, but in a detailed and uniform way. Right, More than just the college confirmed the calls overruled the call stands, right, Like.
Speaker 2: That is.
Speaker 3: Fine in some stances, right, like if you were to not if you were to have given a penalty kick in that sense, because probably deserved a penalty kick.
Speaker 4: I think that was.
Speaker 3: Fortune maybe who Yeah, it was Fortune who filed?
Speaker 4: I forget who was the attacker for New York.
Speaker 3: Had you called that in real time, all you need to say is after review the penalty kick is confirmed, boom, we're done. But if you're changing a call, you need to provide good communication as to why. And I thought Penso did it well. I thought Diyitch did a good job in Saint Louis it using the however, Yes, it's sase, but it.
Speaker 4: Does explain things well.
Speaker 3: And especially in both of those instances, Duych had to go back and say, like, well, all these things were fine, however.
Speaker 4: There was a foul before that, which there was.
Speaker 3: Penzo also had to use the however to explain why, Yes, player was in an off side position, but because I didn't interfere with play, wasn't offside, which is how it works.
Speaker 4: You can be in an off side position.
Speaker 3: It is not an offense in itself to be in an off side position, as the laws of the game say.
Speaker 1: One other thing before the rest of your Monday is as you wish, according to our friends of the Canadian press CBC at all and that is our Latin search for firm for today, that is at ali e or at ali us and others. Nearly two months after announcing it into an external review into the Paris Olympics drone spying scandal, Canada Soccer, like everyone else, is waiting on its findings.
Speaker 2: This is the word from the CP.
Speaker 1: Canada women's coach Bev Prieseman, assistant coach Jasmine Mander, and analyst Joseph Lombardi are serving one year fifis suspensions in the wake of New Zealand's Olympic committee filing a complaint with the IOC's Integrity Unit alleging drones were flown over a pair of pre tournament practice sessions. Manda and Lombardi were sent home immediately. Priestsmen initially removed yourself from coaching the opening match, but left the team after allegations of a wider culture of spying. FIFA subsequently banned all three quote from taking part in any football related activity for a period of one year end quote. Canada Soccer announced plans for the independent problem in July twenty fourth, saying it would address the circumstances of the current matter, and more broadly, we'll seek to understand the historical culture of competitive ethics within all of our programs. The outcome of this review will be shared publicly and corrective actions, if necessary, will be taken. More than eight weeks later, Canada Soccer is still waiting for information to share the up Priestman comma. While suspended, Comma continues to get paid. Bev Priestman remains a paid staff member of Canada Soccer, penning the conclusions of the review, Canada Soccer said in a statement to the Canadian Press July thirty one, Canada Soccer announced did to retain Sony Reagenbogan from the law firm of Matthews, Dinsdale and Clark to handle the review. And as we wait for the review, Bev Priestman is still getting paid.
Speaker 4: That came out a couple of days contending me to get a paycheck.
Speaker 1: And I'm guessing that basically this goes along the lines of of you know, innocent until proven guilty or the review is over, and then then we will decide that we will not pay you any further.
Speaker 2: So basically I think what will.
Speaker 3: End up happening is I don't see how Bout Priestman continues as head coach.
Speaker 1: If I don't see how she continues as a paid coach in any kind of shepherds space sucks for her.
Speaker 3: Because it does feel like this was put in place before she arrived, but she definitely continued it.
Speaker 2: And how is John her still employed? I know review.
Speaker 4: That.
Speaker 3: That's the other thing that I do wonder what will come from this is just how long this has been going on because beb Priestman, though she's been in charge, you know for uh four years now, she's got to believe she was in charge for the twenty Yeah, she was in charge for the Olympics in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 4: So three years, I guess total.
Speaker 3: That that's enough time for you to put a stop to something. But you continued it clearly. And again it does have to color the fact that y'all won gold in Tokyo. It just does. I hate to say it, but it does. And I know, you know, vacated national titles that don't matter. I still remember, you know, teams winning national titles. But it does call in This calls into question more than you know, Reggie Bush taking some money for some things.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, just same.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I thought it was an interesting newspeg that came out before the weekend started. Abby is inviting you outside the perimeter for the twos match tomorrow.
Speaker 3: I mean the invitation has been extended, but that's as far as it's going to go.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, all right, so let's see.
Speaker 1: So is there anything else on your mind before the rest of your day continues? Like I said, a priestman thing was something like that. Oh yeah, that came up to good.
Speaker 3: Nope, we got us men coming up in let's see two weeks ten, the first Pochettino matches. He's done the media tours. Everyone's liking what we're hearing. I do want to point out, actually, John, I want to point out in his introductory press conference he said we need to believe we can win the World Cup, right, But then I think it was I forget who he was on with, did kind of not walk it back, but say, look, our goal is a quarterfinal, and I think people kind of were like, well he was already walking it back, and it's like, no, no.
Speaker 4: There are those are two different things, because.
Speaker 3: You should believe we can win the World Cup and go try to win the World Cup. But understand that, Look, if we do this, we've done a good job. Right, that is passing. But you want to get an A on every project, right, that's the goal. Right, So an A would be winning the World Cup, A C would be okay, well make a quarterfinal or you know, maybe more depending on Probably a quarterfinal might be a B.
Speaker 2: At this point, I was going to say, is the quarterfinals?
Speaker 3: And I mean literally, that's probably what it is, right, But that if that's that's more like the benchmark, I think is the better way to put it. Right, That is what we're justifying. That's what we're measuring ourselves by. If we don't reach that, then we have failed. Right, that's what that is. But that doesn't mean you're not trying to win the World Cup.
Speaker 4: Because I got news for you.
Speaker 3: To win the World Cup, you got to make the quarterfinals.
Speaker 2: Last time I checked.
Speaker 3: It, according to the brackets I've drawn up for turn as I've hosted in tournaments I've played in. You know, that's just how it works. So I think he is still proving that the mentality needs to be I mean, he talks about arrogance, you know, the right type of arrogance. This is the mentality that we needed from Jurgen Klansman that he didn't bring. He brought his own arrogance and not any real structure behind it.
Speaker 4: And hopefully Pachettino can.
Speaker 3: Bring that level of competitiveness adding the structure of actually playing good soccer, something that Jurgen Clansmen failed to do. But it is shocking John that this is the first ever US men's national team head coach from Latin America when we've had, I mean, especially Argentinians like they've Argentina produces great coaches.
Speaker 2: M h.
Speaker 4: Never gone there for a head coach anyway.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the twenty first century.
Speaker 1: Well, welcome to the new as uh, as the Alec Baldwin told Marco Ramius at the end of the hunt for Red October as they're going into the harbor and Maine.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the new world.
Speaker 4: Welcome to the new world. Yes, yes, so, well you all enjoy your Monday.
Speaker 2: All right? So what's what's up with the soccer for USP?
Speaker 3: I think we're taking the week off and then we'll probably come back next week when we get closer to.
Speaker 4: Actual games.
Speaker 2: There you go, nothing's wrong with that, all right?
Speaker 1: Then take the week off, enjoy your time, and know that special people get special privileges, and.
Speaker 4: Abby is special. But I'm not driving out to Kennesoft for you.
Speaker 2: Abby.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry. You're you're wonderful, but I'm not doing that on Tuesday night. I'm sorry, I'm sorry. That actually might be referring tomorrow. We're going to see if that happens, so that might be it.
Speaker 2: All right, well, all right, be good.