Speaker 1: Hello everybody, and welcome to our brand new episode of Second Take Cinema, coming at you from the Glorious Impala Film's headquarters.
Speaker 2: In sunny South End on Sea. I'm your host Jamie Evans, joined as always by Rory Jocelyn, and I am to the Power of three and today we continue Listener Request Month. This request coming from listener Tierra, who requested the nineteen ninety seven independent sci fi movie Cube. Tierra Va kindly sent us a audio clip explaining why she wants us to look at this movie, so I'm going to edit that in right here.
Speaker 3: Hello, Jamie and Rory, this is Tira Tank coming at you from the frozen tundra of central Wisconsin, and this is my submission for Second Take Cinema. I decided on the film Cube, directed by Vincenzo Natali, one of my favorite directors of all time, if not my favorite director of all time. I saw this for the first time when I was living in Japan, and at the time we were watching through Stargate Atlantis and Star Trek Deep Space nine. So I was really into David Hewlett and Nicole de Boor as actors, and I was really thrilled that they were part of the Cube cast. I can't say enough about this film. It I loved it back then and there was so much more to absorb as an adult. Yeah, I'm just gonna let you guys sit back and enjoy this one. It was made for a measly budget of seven hundred dollars seven hundred thousand dollars Canadian. They built one Cube set and a half to shoot this entire film in using very clever camera and lighting tricks, and I just love the writing and acting in the psychological downfall that these characters go through. So yeah, enjoy.
Speaker 1: Well, Tierra, you asked, and we are happy to comply. It's time for a second take on Cube. Cube is a nineteen ninety seven Canadian science fiction horror movie directed and co written by Vincenzo Natali. It was made for a budget of seven hundred thousand dollars Canadian, as Tierra can'tly told us, and it made nine million dollars at the box office in its home country of Canada. The film was actually a commercial failure, only staying in Canadian theaters for a handful of days. However, it did better in other markets, including France. The rest of America and Japan. Over on Rotten Tomatoes, it has a sixty three percent approval rating, with the website's critical consensus reading Cube sometimes struggles with where to take its intriguing premise, but gripping pace and an impressive intelligence make it hard to turn away. Bob Graham of the San Francisco Chronicle was highly critical. If writer director Vincenzo Natalie, storyboard artist for Keanu Reeves Johnny Namonic, were as comfortable with dialogue and dramatizing characters as he is with imagers, this first feature of his might have worked better. Nick Schaeger from Slant Magazine rated the film three out of five stars, noting that its intriguing premise and initially chilling mood were undone by threadbare characterizations and lack of a satisfying explanation for the Cube's existence. He concluded the film winds up going nowhere fast. Anita Gates of The New York Times was more positive, saying the story proofs surprisingly gripping in the best Twilight Zone tradition. The ensemble cast does an outstanding job on the cinematic equivalent of a bare stage. Everyone has his or her own theory about who is behind this peculiar imprisonment. The weakness in Cube is the dialogue, which sometimes turns remarkably trite. The strength is in the film's understated but real tension. Vincenzo Natari, the film's fledgling director and co writer, has delivered in an allegory two about futility, about the necessity and certain betrayal of trust, about human beings who do not, for a second have the luxury of doing nothing. Bloody Disgusting gave a positive review, saying shoddy acting in a semi week script can't hold this movie back. It's simply too good a premise and too well directed to let minor hindrancers derail its creepy premise. And Lastly, Kim Newman from Empire Online gave the film four out of five stars, writing too many low budget sci fi films try for epic scope and fail. This one concentrates on making the best of what it's got and does it well. So Rory, how do you ever seen Cube before today?
Speaker 4: No? But uh, I've always been interested in it.
Speaker 2: I actually have a copy of Cube two and have never watched it because I've never been able to get a copy of Cube, so I don't want to watch a second one and maybe spoil the first one for myself. I don't know, didn't know if they'd connect or anything like that. So yeah, I'll be able to watch that now thanks to this. What I will say is about what the last reviewer said from Empire, where they said a lot of sci fi features try and go too big in scope when they've got very little budget. I hate to constantly bring this back, but on our sister show VGMP, we did Doom Annihilation and we had that that was the one that kind of did the opposite of this. So whereas this had little budget so it confined itself to a small space, Doom Annihilation tried to do way too much with the budget it had, which was bigger than budget than this, but still not enough for the scope it tried to do. So it's interesting to get the two polar opposites where I kind of had a very similar vibe from this. I respect it because it goes hard for what it tries to do on the minimal budget it's got. So it's just interesting to see that a reviewer picked up on that. Where you have the two opposit's, you have the indie movie that tries to go too hard on tiny budget, and you got the indie movie that understands its budget's too small, so it really reduces down and in this case, it basically pairs it down to just a cube, which is very interesting. I had seen this once before.
Speaker 1: I wanted to see it for a very long time, and it was just one of those films that I never got around to. And then a couple of years ago, me and my partner we did a Halloween night thing and one of the films that she showed me was this one, which I was very grateful to finally get a chance to see.
Speaker 2: A really good way.
Speaker 1: To see it was getting to experience it with her. And it's a little different to what I had pictured in my head because I hadn't realized how low.
Speaker 2: Budget it was when I heard about it.
Speaker 1: The film has, if I may start the conversation, the film has a very indie feel. And what I mean by that is when you see enough low budget in films, and I've seen quite a few just from going to film festivals and knowing indie filmmakers, and I enjoy watching indie projects. There's a certain feel that they all have in common. It's a lack of polish that separates them from Hollywood movies.
Speaker 4: It's lacking gloss.
Speaker 1: That can sometimes work in the film's favor and sometimes can work against it.
Speaker 4: It's why horrors generally do better when they're not big.
Speaker 2: Budget, because the lack of gloss is what makes the horror work better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, horror films that look too nice and clean don't work cube, I don't deny.
Speaker 2: The reviewer pointed.
Speaker 1: Out that the acting is quite shoddy in some places, the writing is very ham fisted in some places, and yet the film is enjoyable. This is the second time I've seen it. I wasn't bored, I was gripped. I wasn't checking my watch, which you know yourself, Rory. I have been known to do that sometimes, is sit watching a film being like, oh, come on, how far through this are we now?
Speaker 2: But what did you think? Like first impressions of the film. So, my overall first impressions of the film, having never seen it before, is that it is actually very good. I hate the fact that we have to say this because you shouldn't have to, but it is an indie film realistically in terms of its budget level, So you have to accommodate for that. When you watch it, and a lot of audiences don't. They'll sit there and go, well, this doesn't look like it's got as much budget as Man Versus was it Man of Steel? And it was like, no, because it doesn't. But this is better, not even in the same ball park of quality. This is way better. The sets look good. They don't look great. There is you could tell a little bit that some of the metal quote unquote is would certainly in the door mechanisms. But you know what, for the budget you got, it still looked great, and you can only really tell on certain extreme close ups.
Speaker 4: The metal parts that are metal look really good.
Speaker 2: I never quite understood how those plastic buttons were sharp enough to scratch into the metal constantly, especially after they've been sucking them.
Speaker 4: All the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a bit odd.
Speaker 4: It's like, these are the sharpest fucking buttons I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: But overall, it is difficult because they have they've done what you I don't know if you've done this game. You probably have, but I've done it. In trying to write certain films, you limit your scope because you know you can't afford the scope. They've clearly done that. The difficulty with that is when you have to limit the scope. They've done it in a very brilliant way in terms of its setting, in terms of you know where best to spend the money. The difficulty, ads the reviews have said, is you tend to write yourself into a corner for lack of a I'm not trying to be a pub there. It's a cube, but you kind of write yourself into a corner with the character development, because now all you have is the characters, which is why you ended up with some of those reviewers who probably expected a little bit more of a gorefest getting disappointed when you saw two really cool deaths. The deaths by the Cube are amazing, and then the rest of it is they're kind of killed by each other in I guess, sort of a commentary about how humanity will devour itself if left in a cube. The question is, I don't know what I could have done differently with this to improve that. I think people saying the acting is terrible are overblowing it. It's not high quality in terms of you can tell their TV actors not film actors. But again, you're looking at this budget, you're not gonna get some of the best actors of all time come into something that has less, doesn't even have a million dollar budget. Even if you double the budget, you wouldn't get to a million dollars because it was three hundred and fifty thousand doubled to seven hundred thousand, seven hundred thousand when you count in all of the deferred payments there, right, So even with that, or even if they had spent the whole lot in one chunk, you still wouldn't have hit a million dollars. You're not getting top celebs for that. So I can understand people being disappointed if they're coming in expecting celebrities, if they're expecting a continuous gore fest. But I will give you this, the plot can be quite smart. The stuff with the mathematics really really intrigued me.
Speaker 1: The film front loads its two best death sequences right near the beginning of the movie, which is the smart thing to do when you don't have a lot of budget and you need to hook people in straight away. The opening is fantastic. It would obviously be repeated years later by the film ghost Ship that does the exact same thing, where it has.
Speaker 2: A cold open of people. This time. The only difference is it's multiple people and.
Speaker 1: It's just a single cheese wire that goes across if I remember right, but same thing.
Speaker 2: It bisects everybody.
Speaker 1: They've clearly, they clearly spent a good chunk of change on that sequence, knowing that it's very important to hook the audience in early.
Speaker 4: You're selling it, you're shop this is the story.
Speaker 1: Once you've got those two death sequences in, and this is why it becomes a double edged sword. You've done the right thing because you've hooked the horror fans, but you've also.
Speaker 2: Kind of done the wrong thing because you then don't pay that off later. Yeah, you're basically going, Okay, you've had that.
Speaker 1: Now, now deal with a completely different film, and hopefully that worked for people, which obviously it did for some people. There is the acting is when I looked at the production of this movie, and basically because the budget was solo, the actors basically had very very little prep time. So that probably explains why there's a handful of line readings in this that are bad, Like they're just bad, they're over the top and ham fisted.
Speaker 2: But script as well though, because there's certain points where a situation will just suddenly escalate. Yes, and I've been added in and it's like, okay, you pay that off later, but the escalation felt too sharp.
Speaker 1: Yes, That's what I was also going to say, was that when I said earlier about there's a certain indie feel, the script is where that indie feel comes in the most because and again I'm not saying it's a bad script, but I've noticed from a lot of indie films I watch, I know I've made the I know I've made this mistake myself. We're making indie films, there is a focus on well, I need my film to be saying something, sometimes to the detriment of pacing an escalation and things like that. So the film kind of has this ham fisted commentary on nialism. And so, for example, there's a line I wrote when they all start arguing and it's Worth and Quentin are having this argument, and Quentin's down on Worth because Worth's kind of just not doing anything and he's every time it gave up immediately, didn't Hey, Yeah, And Quentin says to him, not all of us have the luxury of nehialism. Worth responds, not all of us are conceited enough to play hero. You then get another bit later on where they're talking about the banality of evil and how this no system. It's just a self perpetuating Sorry, there's no one in charge.
Speaker 2: Of the system. It's a self perpetuating system.
Speaker 4: Well it was.
Speaker 2: There's the suggestion that it's kind of the system has been made almost by accident, by someone had some idea somewhere and they've probably left the project god knows how long ago, but it's just been perpetuated by red tape, with little people getting little bits of a project, and it just ended up building itself because.
Speaker 1: We can't we can't ever point out that the system doesn't work, because when you point out the system doesn't work, the whole system collapses. That's all good stuff to have in the film, but it's done in a heavyhanded way that I recognize from indie style writing.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's bits where character ramp so I know you were going to probably mention this later, but there's a bit where Quentin is challenged by Holloway, and she's Holloway is basically a conspiracy theory nut job in a weird way, as and Quentin is the man of the law. You know, our police officer, I have to do the things so that all you guys are basically safe. And during this exchange, she's arguing that he's part of the system. She brings up a sore point where his wife left him with his three kids, and then just randomly just throws in there because you like to fuck little girls, and You're like, there's no build up to miss step.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the way it's thrown out there.
Speaker 2: Quentin's then basically takes that to Hartley's just like, oh my god, Like it's almost like he's been rumbled that he likes young women. And you're like, but there is no precursor.
Speaker 1: Now later on there is later on he gets quite rapet, yes, towards the colder ball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but there was no build to it, unless I misstep. I think that line was thrown in there to make the ending make sense, but it didn't make sense where they put the explanation.
Speaker 4: But also, I'm going to.
Speaker 2: Be can I just you didn't need it, because quite honestly, if they hadn't, if they cut the line and they hadn't done it, and it got to the end and he started being rape you and the colder ball I still would have understood. It felt a bit like they didn't quite trust the audience to know why this guy suddenly was getting primal, But you could see it in him here.
Speaker 4: It was performance was giving that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was already getting the conflict with her calling him a Nazi because he's obviously, as you say, he's representing the authority, the system as it currently exists. Worth obviously represents nialism, and Holloway obviously is this conspiracy that recognizes that the people in authority are manipulating everybody else.
Speaker 2: But then you have an interesting.
Speaker 1: Dynamic between her and Quentin where she takes good care of Kazan, so Kazan turns up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's clearly got learning disabilities of some kind, and she's very much the one who's looking after him, helps him get through the room where they have to be quiet. She knows how to soothe him because he when he gets overloaded, he's got these physical tics and audible ticks, and when he's in a panic and they just get extreme, she's the kind of the one that's able to calm it down.
Speaker 1: And you get this bit, and I'll tell you something, it was it's weird watching this movie now in twenty twenty six because of the current political state of the world, and I've spent a lot of time on social media in the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: I know, yeah, I don't usually.
Speaker 1: Spend that much time on social media. And then for the last couple of weeks, I've been in a position to spend a bit of time on social media and it's not been a good experience, let me tell you that. But this film feels even though it's you know, twenty thirty years old, nearly ninety seven, Jesus nearly thirty years old, it feels bang on because you've got Quentin, Like you said, he's a cop. He's very sort of take charge, very you know, at first, you're looking at as he's the hero of the film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he would be. Yeah, sorry, in your traditional narrative, he would be your hero character.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's very much like, we've got to do this, We've got to do that, We've got to do this. And then what you start to see is whenever his authorities questioned, he doesn't like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's practical, but he's also quiet self absorbed. You then have Holloway.
Speaker 1: Holloway's looking after this neurodivergent gentleman. And you get this bit where Quentin turns.
Speaker 2: Around and basically says, people like you are ruining but basically, looking after this man is ruining our chances of survival, it's ruining the group, and you only.
Speaker 1: Care about him because you have nothing else going on in your life.
Speaker 2: And he says a bunch of sexist bollocks, which, to be fair, I've just I think he says at one point, I've.
Speaker 1: Just realized it's her line about him liking young girls after that, because that might be the thing that tips her off and dried up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Oh that's it.
Speaker 1: And she's not that old either, No, she's she's really not. And he says a bunch of sexist stuff. And that is something I have seen on social media in the last couple of weeks that has really brought me down. Is there are literally people arguing at the moment on social media that empathy is weakness and that the thing destroying society is that we're looking after the less capable.
Speaker 2: And that's disgusting. Yeah, And I think the other thing as well that connects with Quentin in that sense is that usually that mentality comes from people that call themselves as scientifically disproven theorem that they are alpha males, And he definitely has that alpha male thing where it's like, I'm practical, you know, of course I like the younger ladies. Of course there's this empathy is a problem, blah blah blah. But when he's actually it doesn't take very much Like as much as he thinks he's the most solid guy in the group, it doesn't actually take very much challenge for him to immediately break no. And Holloway calls him on that because she says, no, wonder your wife left you with all that bottled upanga and it is. It's this fury that's just been bottled up from all these imagined slights over the years.
Speaker 4: He can't seem to get over himself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's really interesting and it's a sensitive topic. Quentin's the only black member.
Speaker 2: Of the cast. Yes, and I'm thinking this is accidental, But I think I know what you're gonna say.
Speaker 1: No, No, I think it is accidental as well. I think they've I literally think they've cast well. I read about it. They just cast him because he was the best guy in the audition and he does well. But it's interesting because I feel like nowadays, you wouldn't have that be the black character. You would definitely have that be a white guy because of the A, the racism problem in the police. But b it just reinforces the narrative of all these angry white men who've got all the predominantly white I'm not saying it's all white, but all these imagined slights on them, where they're like, oh, well, women have got the right to vote now, and that's affected my rights, blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: It hasn't.
Speaker 1: They're obviously being sad and pathetic. But do you see what I mean, it's an unusual choice.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying it's a bad choice.
Speaker 4: The archetype has changed.
Speaker 2: So back then it would the archetype was just if you're part of the system and the cop. But nowadays you wouldn't do right. So you're the archetype. You're there, you're the authority guy and the cop, and you're black. They go, oh, hang on, let's not let's not put the black guy in that role because that gives the wrong political message.
Speaker 1: Well, I just meant I think it would reinforce the message you're going for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sorry, So what I meant was because the the archetype now would be that it's a white guy. Yeah, you'd go with It'd be like making Homelander black. It would, it would tart. The character could still work, But there's something about it's the difference with archetypes and stereotypes, but there's a thinly veiled line between the two. Archetypes are changeable over time, but those archetypes are essentially shorthand visual shorthand. So by making him a white guy instead of a black guy, you create visual shorthand for this is a guy who's always been in a position of power, whereas by making him a black guy you kind of eliminate that slightly. And I'm not saying it's right or wrong whichever way you go about it. It is just interesting how society has changed within that thirty year period.
Speaker 4: Two.
Speaker 2: I don't think you would cast in this manner now.
Speaker 1: But like I said, I do think it's amazing and scary how this film that is thirty years old feels like it is playing problems that we're having now. It feels almost prescient.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a lot older films than this that still feel pressient.
Speaker 1: I watched probably tells you that society never really changes.
Speaker 2: Well, isn't that a depressing fact? So? Yes and no, the details change, but the overall concepts tend not to. I think so generally, if you push towards sort of a more fascistic way of working, it doesn't matter what the fascism is, doesn't matter who's doing the fascism, and it doesn't really look traditionally we're looking at, you know, why, your own centric nations that were the fascists, you know, the Hitler, the Nazis, et cetera, et cetera. But if you did a completely different group within a completely different time and they had a completely different group of people that they were fascistic against, even people within their society, that's details that all changes. The mindset that gets you there is the same. The mindset is the other ring. It's the us versus them. It's the this person is less of a human than me, and that even the details might change as to the reasons why they're less than you, but the mindset is still they are less and black legion is it must be getting near one hundred years old. Does the same story still works. There's you know a lot of films of that era that were on the rise of Hitler, were making movie statements about how negative this was that still worked today, and they just we just kind of cycle through them. There are changes, you know obvious one hundred years well, women only got the vote in the UK in nineteen eighteen, so you know, if you were to go one hundred years back from there, there would be a huge difference saying women's rights in that hundred years. But the idea of there being a group of people that think women don't deserve it would not change, and their reasons for it would not change. There would still be an us versus them. That person is an underclass for whatever the reasons may be. So I think that's it's insane that that's still a thing now though, Oh I know you, I couldn't believe it when I was reading these posts on social media. I think what it is is I'm not sure if it's getting worse or if it's still just the same small minority of assholes. It's more of a platform, but they get more of a platform because of the way algorithms work. You know, well, you hate this, you replied to it, Therefore it works for you to have some more here's some more people saying it nothing. Nothing gets attention on the internet.
Speaker 4: Like rage yeah, rage bait.
Speaker 1: So going back to the film, then, I think one of the things the film does really well is the way it's paced, Like I said, it's never boring, the way it drip feeds you the information really works because obviously you start, like a lot of these types of films, start, a bunch of characters dumped in a room. How did we get here? How do we get out? They're the two primary questions. Then you figure out the rules, which is certain rooms are booby trapped and we're going to die.
Speaker 2: They established the clock on it right away.
Speaker 1: You have Holloway points out how long they can survive with that food and water, So you know there's a clock on it straight away, which is they've got to get out within three days or else their minds will become too cloudy to actually orient themselves and their bodies will end up being two weak to actually carry themselves. You then do a really good thing, which not enough films do this anymore, which is you establish a set of rules, but they're established on a false assumption that later gets the term yeah. And it's a perfect example of they see correlation does an equal causation. They notice a correlation with the prime numbers and the booby trapped rooms, so they just apply that to the whole cube, only to later discover, oh no, this doesn't work. They also set up all the way through the film you periodically get this rumbling that they call thunder. But actually what you end up learning around the start of act three is that actually the cue, which obviously is made up of multiple other cubes I think seventeen thousand and something like, Yeah, they do work out this specifically, they're moving, Yeah, they're rearranging.
Speaker 2: So you end up with a really good bit where they end up back in the room they started in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, back in the room where Wren died.
Speaker 2: Yes, and they're just like.
Speaker 1: What the fuck, We've gone in a circle. The way it drip feeds in these new rules of how the cube works is very evenly spaced in a way that means the film constantly feels like it's moving in a way that it would be very easy in a film like this to fuck that up and just end up with a film that feels static and boring.
Speaker 2: Also, it never, unlike some of the emotional parts that we've spoken about when they learn that new thing that actually helps them with the narrative of getting out, that never feels like it's come out of nowhere, it always feels earned. So that side of the narrative always works fine for me Quentin's heel as well. I think it is seeded.
Speaker 1: It probably ramps up a little too fast in terms of the moment where he snaps it.
Speaker 4: He literally turns huge villain, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: It literally goes from a guy who just keeps losing his temper to outright murderer slash rapist, but like with a clicking.
Speaker 2: Because he's at the moment he does it, he's literally saving someone, doing the right thing. And then it's just like but the moment, the moment then a villain, but all the way.
Speaker 1: But that moment itself is good where he's holding Holloway, they look at each other, You're like, oh good.
Speaker 2: He's a little more than that before that moment, Yeah, because they've only had the one fight.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Although I mean, I suppose she does say some pretty I say pretty horrible stuff obviously is true. So there is nothing that there's nothing that a narcissist hates more than being actually seen.
Speaker 2: For what they are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, obviously not to be seen obviously, but they like the image they project to be what people see.
Speaker 4: They die that can see through it.
Speaker 2: I am an officer of the law. I'm here to save people. I do the right thing.
Speaker 1: And it's actually no, No, You're an angry little man whose wife left him and who likes young women, and because Holloway can see him, he has to eliminate her.
Speaker 2: Do you think maybe, because it's very clear straight off that Quentin likes nicolea Boor's character Leven, but it's before the point where you get the whole you like the little girl's thing. It's very it seems it felt to me that he liked her in the sense of this is someone who is useful, so it kind of fit into his and this would have been a good way to hide it. It fit into his hole where you're practical, which is why he didn't like the guy with the neurodivergence because he was potentially a threat to their survival, but he likes her because she's the key to his survival.
Speaker 1: Didn't he literally have a line where he said he can't be controlled or something like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you've got that, but I think there needed to be a little bit more between him and Leven before he does the heel turn up. Well, they're still kind of getting through it that they kind of don't get close, and not in a romantic way, but like their friendliness, they become almost a little bit more friendly. So as they solve himselves so oh great, and they have like a quick hug or something, it's like, yeah, we've got it. So you get this companionship sort of thing even as just friends. So that then it becomes obviously he's not doing that with anyone else who's useful, and then that's where that would be a better way to introduce the whole Well, you just like little girls, because you've not done that with me, You've not done that with the two guys. You've only been that kind of touchy feely with her.
Speaker 1: And the interesting thing obviously about Quentin as a character is he is the only person in.
Speaker 2: The cube who is useless.
Speaker 1: He makes all the shouting and the song and the dance, and well he's the he That's why he takes on the leader role is because he has nothing. All he has is his strength and his bluster. But in actual fact, they can't get anywhere without Leven. No, they can't get anywhere without Kazan. Kazan and Leven can't do any of their calculations without Worth's information.
Speaker 2: And Kazan needs Holloway to look after him. So caregivers are important. She's a doctor, she's a caregiver.
Speaker 1: Mathematicians are important, Architects are important.
Speaker 2: Police officers aren't important, not necessarily police officers.
Speaker 1: Authoritarian just authoritariate leaders are very and how often do you see it leaders who actually contribute nothing to an actual project themselves.
Speaker 2: Can I create a slight counterpoint on the I agree with you that that's that's the statement the film is making. The only problem with that statement from this film in particular is that during the arguments that Holloway has with Worth about the development of the cube system is there's the argument of there is no oversight and that's devastating. But if you don't have the leader role, you have no oversight.
Speaker 1: But I would argue that is that's making the point is there are leaders, because we know in society there are, but none of them are actually looking at what they're signing off, or maybe they're just signing off on it and going, yeah, let's keep another.
Speaker 2: Without Quentin at the start. If you removed Quentin from the film, would these guys have actually worked together to get anywhere? Good point? So was his role actually useful and then he just basically expired out of his usefulness when they felt close enough to work together. That would that might have been I don't think this film has anything to say about that necessarily, but it would that might have been an maybe Cube two does. I don't know, but that might have been an interesting track to look at.
Speaker 1: I don't know for definite, but I have a sneaking suspicion Cube two will be to Cube.
Speaker 2: One, what Saw two is to Saw one? Right? Which is it just different? Which is it just go Hey, it's all about the.
Speaker 1: Traps now right, Okay, we've got money we can afford Gore, let's forget let's forget building the actual good story and the twists and shit, and let's just see what gross ways we can call up with to kill people. I could be wrong, though I haven't seen Cube two. Hypercube no, neither of the fact it's called hypercube makes me feel I can.
Speaker 2: Right though, something I would have liked to have seen so There's there's a character right at the start. It's our cold opening. A guy wakes up, sees what's going on. His name is Alderson played by Julian Richings, gets leaves one cube, goes into another, and gets murdered immediately. That's the cold open. Actually, say, if the idea is that each of these had a point of being there for a reason, you could still argue Quentin had a purpose in getting the gang together. Then the only thing I can think of for him is audience related, because they should have at some point come across something that they could have gone well, there is obviously a way to get through this, but none of us have the skills to do it, so they have to backtrack the other way, because he would have had the skills for that.
Speaker 1: Possibly, Yeah, I didn't interpret it that way, but yeah, could have been.
Speaker 2: I think, I'll be honest, I think they put him in there just as a cold open. He was I assumed he was from a previous group.
Speaker 1: I assume there's a time jump between him dying and the rest of them waking.
Speaker 4: Up, potentially because they never find his chunks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are a couple of bits in the film that can't be helped.
Speaker 1: It's to do with the low budget. There's a couple of bits of yanky filmmaking. There's a few edits that are not very good.
Speaker 4: It has some very TV like editing at points.
Speaker 2: I'd be like where a commercial break will be, it'll just fade a black and then it'll appear in another scene.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and these are a handful of moments where characters teleport around a room. Yeah, it's only little bits where they've obviously cut things for time reasons. Yeah, it's just bits where like one minute of characters on the opposite side of the cube and then suddenly they're at the door.
Speaker 2: The most agregious bit is actually right at the.
Speaker 1: End where Kazan has made it out, Quentin turns up to go get him, and Worth grabs Quentin and Quentin's kind of stuck between the doorways. The actual edit of him getting grabbed. If you look these chunks of the action missing that you really needed, that makes that bit feel disconnected and it feels like they're missing because they didn't have the time to get the choreography down.
Speaker 2: I think that there's a just a smidge earlier than that is where that starts, because Kazan is at the door, but he is hanging on the inside, sees Quentin come in merk Nicole de bare and then he's got to get out the doorway. Now that's going to take a bit of time. Worth isn't up yet to grab Quentin. So Quentin's got the easier route. And yet by the time he reaches the door, Kauzan is on the outside of the cube. And I think there was maybe something that happened in there that has been edited out. Can I say one thing that did annoy me?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 1: Right at the end, they've made it to the last room, they've made it to the bridge to the outside world. They open it and they know they only have a limited time because.
Speaker 2: These cubes move.
Speaker 1: Yes, right, I would say as well one thing, but I'm happy to suspend a disbelief on this.
Speaker 2: We're mentally get to see how fast these cubes actually drop and move.
Speaker 1: There's no way they don't feel it when they're in one of the cubes that happens to be moving.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they'd feel the gravity or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but anyway, I'm happy to accept that and said that maybe they don't because they might be in space.
Speaker 4: You don't actually like all we see if the outside world is there's nothing else.
Speaker 1: I it annoyed me massively that they get the final door open and instead of just fucking going through it, they just worth just sits down and it's like, well, I've got nothing to live for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he kind of explains that, but it's really you'd be like, right, no, dude, get the fuck out first.
Speaker 4: We'll have this conversation out there.
Speaker 2: If they just went, Yeah, the cardboard doesn't die worth well, everyone dies except Kazan, don't they Yeah, all three of them get out if they just go, and they've been gone by the time Quentin gets there, so he wouldn't find them. No though he might still make it out, yeah, but he'd be at least on the outside and you've got a bit of chance to get away. Yeah, that one bit really annoyed me.
Speaker 1: That's one of them screenwriting things that is only there to delay the time it takes.
Speaker 4: I do find that annoying.
Speaker 2: There was a Star Trek Discovery episode where there's like a time limit. We've only got twenty minutes to get this person out from this ship that's stuck in. I won't go into it, but like it's stuck in some sort of space anomaly where it's going to fall through and be gone forever, so.
Speaker 4: They have to run through the ship.
Speaker 2: This guy finds his boyfriend, which is the guy he's trying to save. He gets there and he's like, oh, you're here, like let's go, and the boyfriend sits down and.
Speaker 4: It's just like why am I here? Why am I life?
Speaker 2: So he sits You got to understand that covers out like timer, timer back to the fucking guys. You just you end up sitting there getting angrier with the characters because you're like, you guys are supposed to be smart.
Speaker 4: You know there's a timer.
Speaker 2: You're literally being moronic, like, get off your ass.
Speaker 1: But basically Quentin ends up getting smushed because they trap him between the cubes as they move.
Speaker 2: Yes, that was cool. Yeah, like the way that you got his blood smear as the cube moves away and save that budget.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's a good way of doing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, But no, you didn't see the upper half of him through the window that was left because it would be realistically, But you know what, that's fine. Maybe that would have satisfied some of the people coming in for a bit more gore is because technically he gets he is killed by the Cube, even though people don't count as a Cube kill because he's being held by worth. But yeah, just maybe leaving the top half of his body or leaving the bottom half of his body and having the gore there. But again, I can understand you saving the budget.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, but no, Like I said, this is the second time I've watched this.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought it was a nice tight ninety minutes. It passed by really quickly.
Speaker 2: I definitely want to get myself a copy of it. And yeah, yepefully Cube two will be.
Speaker 4: Just as good.
Speaker 2: It's definitely worth watching, I would say, Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: Got anything else that you want to add? Not particularly Thank you everyone for tuning in. I hope you liked hearing us talk about Cube. Have you seen Cube? What did you think about it? It sounds like we're gonna watch Cube two Hypercube at some point to see what that's like. Thank you everybody for tuning in, and we will see you next week for more.
Speaker 2: Second Take Cinema