Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with Me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App KFI and KOST HD two, Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 4: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: It is five o'clock on Thursday, October seventeenth.
Speaker 5: This is your wake up call. I'm Amy King.
Speaker 1: We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. I'm so happy you're starting your day with us today. How about those Dodgers and Walker Buehler eight Nothing over the Mets. I was such a great, great game. Of course I didn't get to see any of it. We'll be talking about that a little bit later.
Speaker 5: But how fun and game four is this afternoon? Go blue? Did you see the supermoon? Me either? These stupid clouds.
Speaker 1: We've got the biggest, brightest moon of the year shining brightly. The peak viewing time like when it was supposed to be biggest and brightest was like four twenty six.
Speaker 5: We got clouds in my area. But if you don't see this one, that's okay because we have one more.
Speaker 1: There's another one coming up on November fifteenth. Here's another thing to look forward to. Kono's birthday. Happy early birthday, kno thg you we're celebrating today because he's ditching us tomorrow. Can you imagine that he doesn't want to spend his birthday with us here at KFI and you wake up called listeners, But that's okay. We got donuts, we got bagels thanks to produce a surprise.
Speaker 5: Thank you. I love donuts.
Speaker 2: I got yelled Debt tonight get my morning pop Tart, and I was like, why then I saw a bunch of donuts.
Speaker 1: Very okay, I'll forego the pop tarts for the donuts them back. Well, Happy early birthday. Here's what's ahead on wake up column, we got a lot. Nearly two dozen relatives of the Menendez brothers have pleaded for the release of Lyle and Eric, who have spent more than thirty years in prison for murdering their parents.
Speaker 5: We're gonna be talking with.
Speaker 1: Nightline hosts ABC's Juju Chang in just a couple minutes.
Speaker 5: More about this.
Speaker 1: Vice President Harris has defended the Biden administration's policy on immigration. On her first ever interview with Fox News, sat down with Brett Bhaer and said it was a priority to fix the problems on the border, including getting more judges and processing asylum cases quicker. We're going to talk more about how Harris did in her first sit down with ABC's Britney Shepherd.
Speaker 5: That's coming up at five point twenty.
Speaker 1: La Mayor Karen Bass has issued an executive directive to clean up the city before the twenty twenty eight Olympics. The directive instructs various divisions to enhance infrastructure and city services, repair streets, and clean out parks. The mayor says it's part of her larger goal to make La more livable leading up to the games. We've got a Boo preview for you today coming up at the bottom of the hour, a place where you can get scared and scrubbed at the same time. It's going to make sense, I promise. And the Great Shakeout is happening today. We're gonna talk to one of the people behind the Great Shakeout, find out more about that. It's coming up in just a few hours. Let's get started with some of the story. Oh, we're going to talk to him before the top of the hour. The Great Shakeout is coming up in a few hours. Just wanted to make that clear. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The fifty three year old woman shot by a coworker at Santa Monica College has died. Police say the shooter shot and killed himself when surrounded by police on Tuesday in Hawthorne. The man had a history of arrest, but college officials say they can only consider convictions in their hiring decisions and are unaware of an applicant's arrest. History classes Santa Monica College are being held online through Sunday because of the shooting. Fifty people have now been charged for pro Palestinian protests that involved taking over a building at uc or Vine.
Speaker 2: Most were charged with failure to disperse from a riot, while a few were charged with resisting arrest and vandalism. Hundreds of people were involved when the two week protests ramped up in May, resulting in a massive law enforcement response. Ten of the protesters who were charged in September were doing court yesterday and are likely facing diversion instead of jail time. The other charges were filed yesterday. The group of fifty includes three UCI faculty and twenty six students in Orange County. Corbin Carson kf.
Speaker 1: I News the race for president remains tight less than a month before election day. ABC's Brittany Shepherd says new polling is out in a couple of swing states.
Speaker 2: Most were charged with failure to disperse from a riot, while a few were charged with resisting arrest and vandalism. Hundreds of people were involved when the two week protests ramped up in May, resulting in a massive law enforcement response. Ten of the protesters who were charged in September were doing court yesterday and are likely facing diversion instead of jail time. The other charges were filed yesterday. The group of fifty includes three UCI faculty and twenty six students in Orange County. Corbin Carson kf.
Speaker 1: I News have a two games to one lead going into Game four of the National League Championship Series against the Mets.
Speaker 5: The Dodgers shot out New York eight nothan last night. In Game three.
Speaker 1: Dodgers manager Dave Roberts's Walker Buehler's strike three pitch against batter Sam Our Friends, not San Francisco Lindor, just Francisco Lindor, was the pitch of the game.
Speaker 5: The crowd was into it.
Speaker 4: They were gaining momentum and to get the break and ball down below the zone and get a great hitter out was huge show.
Speaker 1: Heyo Tani blasted a three run shot. Geeky Hernandez and Max Munsey also went deep for the Dodgers. Game four is tonight at City Field. It's five seven on your Thursday morning wake up call. Let's say good morning to ABC Nightline host Juju Chang.
Speaker 5: Good morning, Juju, Good morning Amy.
Speaker 1: Thirty four years after the Menendez brothers were convicted of murder for killing their parents, there is a renewed effort to free Eric and Lyle.
Speaker 5: Why now?
Speaker 6: Why now is a good question.
Speaker 4: I mean, a lot of people think it has to do with the Netflix series is the Ryan Murphy drama and the Netflix documentary. But these efforts have been underway for a while, and yet the DA in Los Angeles, as you know, George Gascon has said that he's going to make a resentencing recommendation or not by the end of October. So things are really heating up. And then yesterday a kind of unprecedented move, twenty members of the Menendez family, all from both sides, Kitty and Jose really gave an emotional plea for the brother's freedom, and they basically said, you know, the matriarch of the group, Joan Vandermullen, who was Kitty Menenda's sister at the age of ninety two, stood up at the microphone with her voice cracking, saying that they were just desperate boys trying to escape in explicable and unspeakable abuse. So there's new evidence involved, there's new renewed energy because frankly, the TikTok generation has become so obsessed with this case.
Speaker 1: And what is the new Evan And have they shared what it all is? I know there's a letter.
Speaker 4: Sure, sure, there's a letter that has been around for a while, but it was recently submitted as at a Habeas Corpus ruling. And what it is. It's a letter from Eric to his cousin, who testified in the first trial that Lyle had confided in him as a boy that his father was molesting him. This letter was written months before the murders by the younger brother Eric, and he describes being terrified that his dad is going to come in his room. He describes, you know that it's happening again, and it's worse for me Andy, and it corroborates the motive because so many people at the time thought, well, it was greed. They went on that lavish spending spree, and the brutality of the double murder with shotgun blasts everywhere was really jarring, right, And so that letter substantiates that he was in fact confiding in this cousin that this abuse was ongoing for twelve years. He says, up until you know the murders. The other piece of evidence is the Menudo pop star who has come forward recently and said that Jose Menendez menendez brother's father molested him as well in that Beverly Hills home when he was a member of that band, and that he had kept silent in shame for so many years. But that too corroborates that what Karen Vandermullen, their cousin, said to me in this Hulu special that what it shows the world in her view, is that Jose Menendez was a predator, a sexual predator, not.
Speaker 6: Just to his kids, but to other people's kids.
Speaker 4: And we interviewed a lot of people, Rosie O'Donnell, the Da Mark Arragos, a lot of people to sort of flesh out all that has changed in the thirty five years.
Speaker 5: How is Rosie O'Donnell a part of this?
Speaker 4: So she has come out in our Hulu special and she's talked about it in recent years that she is an abuse survivor herself, and for many years she they had had a back and forth, Lyle and she had gone back and forth, and she said she wasn't ready to come forward, but she reached out to Lyle and they have become genuine friends. She has visited them multiple times in prison. She has seen Eric's artistic murals on the wall. She is in constant contact with the brothers. She actually refers to herself as the Big Ciss, if you will. And she said that when she heard that testimony thirty five years ago, she started shaking, and as an abuse survivor, she said she knew what was real. She felt that it was real. And when the second trial came in and it excluded all of the sexual abuse evidence from the first trial, which you'll remember was a hung jury. In the second trial, all of that abuse was excluded from the trial and they got a conviction because the jurors only had two options, first degree life in prison without parole or set them free. And so the jurors chose first degree murder, and what Rosie said was that guilty verdict, in her mind, was a slap in the face of all abuse victims because those brothers were not believed. And so in the thirty five years since, the jurors had back then said they didn't believe a father would do that to their son. But in the thirty five years since, we've had I mean literally, there was the Catholic priests scandal, one of which was just settled in la yesterday, I think, right, exactly, right, exactly. We've lived through the Me Too movement. So many men have come forward and said yes, in fact, men can be raped and abused as well. And we've learned so much in thirty years about what trauma does to the brain, and what trauma does to people and how they act out in maybe unconscionable ways, you know, horrible ways. And nobody's trying to excuse the murders. Nobodys saying that they're innocent. What they're saying is that had manslaughter been on the table, they would have gotten twenty years, maybe twenty five. And they've now served thirty five years in prison, And so there's a credible case to be made. What Rosie says is they are model prisoners. They work with prison hospice, they have you know, they counsel other prisoners who've had sexual trauma. They've done, gotten degrees, all of this with no hope of parole, and so they've been model prisoners in many people's view, including their defense attorney Mark Cargos, that for the past twenty years they've been model prisoners because they are rehabilitated and that is one of the criteria that the La DA George Gascon is looking at for a resentencing, and that could happen in October. It could happen like soon for the election, right, yes. And I asked him about the timing of that too, I said, is this political? And you know he said, oh, you really think that Netflick's conspired with me for this?
Speaker 6: And you know, I said, well.
Speaker 4: I said, well, you know, stranger things. And then he said, look, this is this has been in the works for a long time. His view is that this hurts me more than it helps me in the election, although other people disagree. Other people think that you know, you get your name in the headlines, you spell my name right, and it's Okay, but obviously the Menendaz family are desperate to not make this about politics. They're saying, this is not about politics. This is about reevaluating the impact of torture's sexual abuse on young boys and re examining this case in a new light thirty five years later.
Speaker 1: Okay, and it's called Impact by Nightline Menendez Brothers, monsters or victims.
Speaker 4: And we're streaming now on Hulu. But you know what twenty twenty is doing a two hour special tomorrow night, Friday night on ABC, but Hulu is streaming now, so you could click right now on Hulu and watch our exhaustive reporting with family members, with Rosie, with the DA, with Mark Virago's, even with a therapist who treated Eric and Lyle way back in the day.
Speaker 5: Well did you We're going to ask him to wait till after wake up call is over.
Speaker 4: After wake up call, don't click until after wake up call.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you can watch it on Hulu or you can watch it because what twenty twenty is doing.
Speaker 4: Especially Friday night. Okay to our special.
Speaker 1: Juju Chang, thank you so much for the information and the insight that I'm going to go watch it after weak.
Speaker 4: Thanks Amy, all right, thank you, thank you, Right.
Speaker 1: Bud, Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The California Board of Community Corrections has ordered La County to close its Los Padrino's juvenile detention facility in Downy.
Speaker 7: Official say the county did not submit a solid proposal to correct staffing issues and other operational concerns. The county has sixty days to remove and relocate roughly three hundred juvenile offenders, who are mostly waiting for their day in court. State inspectors in July said they noticed little to know staff at the facility about twenty percent of the time, including the lack of staff to take kids to and from medical appointments. This is the third time the county has tried and failed to meet state mandated requirements at Los Padrinos. Steve Gregory King if.
Speaker 1: I News two brothers from Sudan have been charged with hacking computers at government agencies and hospitals globally, including at Cedars Sinai Medical Center. Officials say the hack at Cedars caused a shutdown of the emergency department, which forced incoming patients to be redirected to other medical facilities for about eight hours.
Speaker 5: One direction.
Speaker 1: Fans have been mourning the death of group member Liam Payne, who died in a fall from a hotel balcony in Argentina. Hotel staff called for help yesterday, saying there was an aggressive man destroying his room who might be under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Color said they were concerned because the third floor room the man was in had a balcony. The Buenos Aires Security Ministry said in a statement that Payne jumped from the balcony. Police are still investigating. Liam Payne was thirty one. The Dodgers blanked the Mets ate nothing last night to take a two games to one lead in the National League Championship Series Game four tonight at City Field in New York.
Speaker 5: First pitch goes out at five oh eight.
Speaker 1: You can listen to the game live from the Galpin Motors Broadcast booth on AM five seventy LA Sports and in HD on the iHeartRadio app Keyword AM five seven seventy LA Sports. Phillips sixty six says it's going to close its La Area refinery next year because of uncertainty about the future sustainability of the facility. The announcement comes after Governor Newsom signed a new law requiring oil companies to keep reserves of gasoline to reduce the chance of gas price spikes. About nine hundred workers going to be affected.
Speaker 5: A majority of.
Speaker 1: People living in California have considered leaving. An Emerson College poll found more than fifty five percent say they have thought about moving out of the state because of the high cost of living. Thirty five percent say they have had to make trade offs between paying for food and housing. In the past month, the Dodgers have taken a two games to one lead in the best of seven National League Championship Series. Walker Buehler kept the Mets bats quiet and the Dodgers beat New York eight nothing. Game four is tonight at City Field in New York at six oh five. It's handle on the news. The Archdiocese is paying out almost a billion dollars.
Speaker 5: We'll tell you about that right now.
Speaker 1: Let's say good morning to ABC's Brittany Shepherd.
Speaker 5: Brittany, good morning.
Speaker 1: We saw the first sit down with Vice President Harrison Fox News, first time they've actually ever had to sit down. Did she answer the questions, how'd she do.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's her first foray onto the network. And I'll say, if you're a Democrat, you think she did a great job, And if you're a Republican, you think she really bungled it.
Speaker 6: Surprise to no one.
Speaker 8: Yeah, here, but it was interesting. There was so much hype and pressure around her recording Democrats, essentially crossing enemy lines and sitting down with someone at Fox. I know you've probably seen and heard all the pressure for Hars to do more.
Speaker 6: Media interviews mainstream.
Speaker 8: She's been doing podcasts, she's been really trying to diversify where she's appearing to people. And I think critically, before getting the substance of this, I think it's important to note that the folks who were watching Fox are probably not tuning into Kamala Harris rallies or these zoom calls, you know, celebrities for Hairs, all these different groups. Right, this is the first time people are probably hearing from her, either in her own words this cycle or outside clips contextualized by Fox newsposts or by Trump. So this is there's a lot on the line here to convince what I believe to be a very small subset of voters who might be watching Fox but soured on Trump. Maybe they supported Nicky Haley and are open to crossing party lines. A lot of factors swirling, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, a new polls are showing that like ten percent of Trump voters and ten percent of Harris voters are saying that they could be swayed.
Speaker 8: Right, It's like, what's even the spring voter anymore?
Speaker 6: A median voter.
Speaker 8: It's so hard to contextualize who these folks might be. But in a vote where the margins are so thin, according to this Morning our Fight thirty pulling average has something arounding air less than three points, right, right, even ten once thousand votes in suburbs, they really really really matter. So as part of the content of the interview, I felt like there were three big moments. A lot of it was clashing, you know, Brett and Vice Presdent Harris. We're talking over each other a lot, I think, really making a lot of good, big for TV moments, but maybe not so useful for the American voter.
Speaker 4: Moments.
Speaker 8: Immigration differences between her in bided and what those that administration might look like differently, and the direction of the country, the contrast between presidency under Trump and a presidency under Harris, and in that conversation she called Trump unstable, which she has before, but the first time she's taking this to Fox directly.
Speaker 1: So you said, there were three moments. I got immigration and direction of country. What's the other one?
Speaker 8: The difference between her invited, you know, and I think there was a lot of flack that she got for her answer on the View when the women of the View asked, Harris, you know, what's the difference between you and a Biden presidency? And she wasn't able to deliver I think a solid answer there, So maybe maybe we can start there.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 8: She really tried to make a clear distance between who she is and who she was is vice president under Harris, saying gladly, quote, my presidency will not be a continuation of Joe Biden's presidency.
Speaker 5: Which is completely different than what she said on the View.
Speaker 8: Yes, okay, yes, And she wasn't able to articulate policy shifts or differences in the agenda, saying and said that her difference is is that she's a different person, brings her own life experiences.
Speaker 6: She isn't a creature of Washington in the way Joe Biden is.
Speaker 8: Who's the Senate for over three decades and is someone who's really like entrenched and what it means to be I we call.
Speaker 6: Capitol w Washingtonian.
Speaker 8: So she's saying she is, you know, she is a different person of different experiences and Attorney Trade General California obviously brings a lot of lived experience with her race and ethnicity, obviously very different. Would be the number first, and that is the pivotal difference. When she was kind of pushed to go, well, what would your policy.
Speaker 6: On X, Y and Z look like? You know, she she pivoted a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a a lot of pivoting, and which moves on to the next thing, the immigration. They started with that, and there was no acknowledgment that there's been any mistakes on the border from her, which I think was a huge miss really because it's so apparent to everybody that things were have gone wrong at the border, and she just kept saying, oh, we were going to fix it, we were fixing it, we were fixing it, and they didn't do it.
Speaker 8: She definitely didn't play ball with the framing of the question, and I think it was right out of the gate, right that was that first question about how many undocumented immigrants have entered the US under the Biden Harris administration. She didn't give a number. Brett's started throwing out numbers. Do you think it's one million, three million? And Harris responded, Brett, let's just get to the point, okay. And this is where she did at least address something directly. The point is that we have a broken immigration system that needs to be repaired, and she tried to move the conversation in that direction and kind of away from the figures he was trying to nail down right at the job because I think at least you could tell from her tone she wasn't buying what he was selling with at least the framing of that question. And she tends to do that right, and I've interviewer before before she was vice president. If she's not driving with the framing of your question, she's just gonna she's not even going to engage, which I understand if you're working for her, But if you're just trying to get more information, if you're just watching it the first time you're hearing from her, especially if somebody who's listening to Fox daily, you're not going to be satisfied with that answer.
Speaker 1: Right, And yet people that people who don't watch Fox uh normally would be satisfied with that answer because to me and I watch everything, there was a lot of dodging on that one.
Speaker 8: You know, it's a good question. I think if you're someone who's a diehard hair of supporter, you're just in the same way people who are diehard Trump supporters. They're willing to kind of put on blinders because they know that they have a task at hand in November, so they're like, well.
Speaker 6: Whatever needs to happen.
Speaker 8: But I think if you're someone who is truly concerned with Imma green in up ticking crime and migrant you know, influx of migrants, you might be well, I want to hear more, right, especially because the administration has caught so much black in beginning when she said please do not come or you know, over the border she was handed the importon triangle countries. It took forever for them to get to actually go to the.
Speaker 4: Border, you know.
Speaker 8: So I think that it wouldn't be an.
Speaker 6: Answer that was satisfied people who really want to learn more about that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but your point, you know, you know, she knows what the edits are going to be right. She knows that everything's gonna cut and clips, so coming off as strong, which I think is something that more than policy. Trump has been calling her an idiot lately. Right, she wants to show people who are listening to Trump every.
Speaker 6: Day, I'm no idiot. You know, I'm a strong person. I'm as strong as he is.
Speaker 8: And I think that's that's as important as some of the policy right now too.
Speaker 5: I think she was successful in that part.
Speaker 1: And I could talk to you about this for like hours because I'm so fascinated with politics. And overall, where was there one thing that she you think she did really well?
Speaker 5: In one thing she did really bad?
Speaker 6: Well, i'll answer your second question first.
Speaker 8: I think just not being able to clearly articulate a couple of different policy areas, you know, especially on immigration and any economy, because that goes are the weak points and to say go to my website to learn more.
Speaker 6: That's not effective. It's on good TV, first of all, and it's if.
Speaker 8: You're someone who's just tuning in to get information having to do another task and I'm not time to do that. Your dishes to clean, you have a life to live. I don't think that that was very successful.
Speaker 5: Okay, Well, while successful.
Speaker 8: I think being able to go on Fox and articulate yourself as somebody who is strong and willing to fight something that Donald Trump is known to do. You know, he goes everywhere, he answers every phone, and he'll say whatever he wants to say, showing that she showing that she can.
Speaker 6: Match that in tone. I think at least that was successful.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I hope she does more again that people I think have been clamoring going who is she, what is she standing for? Why she changed positions on because she has on several things and they want to know why, and they want to know what her policies are. So I hope she does some more before the election.
Speaker 5: We'll see.
Speaker 6: Yeah, just three weeks, I know. I believe we're already here.
Speaker 1: All right, Brittany Shepherd, thank you so much for the information and your insight.
Speaker 5: We appreciated a ton anytime. All right, take care.
Speaker 1: The Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles has agreed to pay eight hundred and eighty million dollars to settle childhood sex abuse claims by more than thirteen hundred people. With this agreement, the archdiocese will have paid out about one and a half billion dollars to resolve sex abuse cases over the past two decades. Another forty people have been charged in connection with pro Palestinian protests on the UC Irvine campus last spring. Among those charged were two UCI professors, a teaching assistant.
Speaker 5: And twenty six students.
Speaker 1: Disney is offering a new way to skip the lines, but it's going to cost you. The Lightning Lane Premiere Pass will be available starting next week. It'll let you skip the lines and get on most of the larger rides pretty much anytime you want. You don't have to make a reservation. It's four hundred dollars and does not include your ticket for admission. At six oh five, it's handle on the news. Jimmy Carter has fulfilled his end of life goal. I'll tell you what that is. At five point fifty, we're talking great shakeout. We're gonna get you ready to drop cover and hold on. Right now, it's time for the Boo Preview. So many fun things to do as we head through the spooky season. This week, we went out and about for the Boo Preview to Lakewood and caught up with Veronica Young with the Haunted car Wash yes, Haunted car Wash.
Speaker 5: During the day, the car wash.
Speaker 1: Is like any other, but when the sun goes down, the spooks come out. So Veronica, please tell us about the Haunted car Wash.
Speaker 9: So we are here at Carwood car Wash in Lakewood and we're hosting the Haunted car Wash this year. Here we've added a brand new theme. So when you get here, you will be our guests will be attending our funeral and we'reking their way in to the cemetery. I.
Speaker 1: Oh and we have some of some of the haunts and scary stuff that's already So this is a cemetery theme.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: So we've got dead dogs and our friendless skelets and gardens.
Speaker 5: So tell us what happens when you do you get out of your car? Do you stay in your car the whole time? How does it operate? No, it's a drive through experience.
Speaker 9: Everyone stays in their car. They will drive through and make their way into the car wash tunnel.
Speaker 1: M hm.
Speaker 9: So they do get a car wash as well.
Speaker 5: Oh, I love them.
Speaker 1: And can you pack as many people as you can into.
Speaker 9: The car as many people as you can legally get in your car?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, tell me why you started doing haunted car washes. So we started in oh, pandemic pandemic, so Halloween was canceled and that was Yeah, that was the reason why we we thought we needed to do something for the community to you know, celebrate, do a little give them a little something to do. Yes, there was nothing to do and it was super successful, Yes, it was.
Speaker 5: So you've been doing it ever since. So we've been doing it ever since, okay.
Speaker 1: And which was the first one, It was like, what the first Orange County? Okay, So there are now three different car washes. So there's this one in Lakewood, and then tell me about the Anahem carrsh so Anaheim.
Speaker 9: When you arrive there, you'll be greeted by some evil clowns. So then they are okay, yeah, so that's a clown theme over there.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 1: And then.
Speaker 9: It's the same concept where you drive through and stay in your car, get a car wash, and get scared, and get scared because as you're going through the car wash, there are.
Speaker 5: Things that will pop out at you.
Speaker 9: There are people that will.
Speaker 5: Pump out at you. Okay, cool.
Speaker 1: And then there there's also one in Dwarty that's opening up on the eighteenth and it'll be open then through Halloween as well.
Speaker 9: It'll be open the last those two weekends.
Speaker 5: Okay, yes, And what's that thing? And that theme is wasteland.
Speaker 1: So there's three of them and where can we find out more information about them?
Speaker 5: The Haunted car Wash dot com.
Speaker 1: Okay, easy, easy, and it's a car load of people and it's a fun way to end one ticket on one ticket, come out, enjoy it, get a little scared, and get your car clean too. Yes, all right, baroniicay Young, thank you so much, You're welcome, Thank you for coming oo And that is our boob preview for this week, the Haunted car Wash. You can go to Instagram Haunted car Wash La and at Haunted car Wash OC. I love that something good came out of the pandemic and love the way that entrepreneurs and business people found ways to you know, survive and thrive that nasty, nasty time. You can go to the Haunted car Wash dot com to buy your tickets, and you do need to buy your tickets and reserve your spot ahead of time, and you can find out what days it's open and all of that stuff.
Speaker 5: It was really really fun.
Speaker 1: And for I think it was thirty between thirty three and thirty five dollars for a whole car load. I mean, what a cool way to go and do something fun with your friends. You can follow me at Amy Kking. You can also see a little glimpse of the Haunted car wash at KFI AM six forty. Again at Amy Kking would love for you to follow me. You can see other boot previews that we've done this holiday season, and we've got a couple more fun Boom previews coming up before the Halloween Day of Spooking arrives.
Speaker 5: Day of Spooking. That's not really a thing anyway.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Republican lawmakers in California, you're trying to hit the brakes on a possible new gas tax.
Speaker 3: Lawmakers are urging the California Air Resources Board to postpone a vote next month on changes to a clean fuel program until the changes and their potential costs are made public. State Senator ros Lisio cho Abog, who helped pen a letter to the board, says higher costs will affect everyone no matter what they.
Speaker 10: Drive, even if you have electric vehicles or you have solar panels in your homes. Guess what products and services that you use utilized fossil views and they will also be impacted.
Speaker 3: The board says, how businesses past compliance costs onto consumers is their decision.
Speaker 7: Blake Charlie kafin News.
Speaker 1: President Biden's announced a student loan cancelation program for public workers has granted relief to more than a million Americans. The Public Service Loan forgiveness program was created in two thousand and seven, but was updated two years ago so more people could qualify. Several of the loan forgiveness programs announced by the Biden administration have been blocked by the courts. A time capsule buried at the National World War One Museum and Memorial in Kansas City has been dug up. The nineteen twenty four box contained a letter from President Calvin Coolidge, a Kansas City Star printing plate, a copy of the US Constitution, and various tubes of seeds like cowpees and oats. Museum curator Christopher Warren says the bomb Squad had to be called because the capsule included nineteen twenties era film with nitrate, which becomes flammable as it deteriorates.
Speaker 11: So we deal with one hundred year artifacts every day, but these haven't been seen for one hundred years, which makes it even more Specially though it's exciting to open up things that human eyes have not had contact with for.
Speaker 1: So many years, Warren says, the capsule wasn't a mystery because they knew what items should be on inside. So the Dodgers played last night, and I mentioned earlier that I didn't watch the game. I listened to the game on AM five seventy, which is of course a fabulous option, but I would have loved to have watched it, but it can't because it's not on regular TV right now. This game was on Fox Sports one, and I got to watch a couple of the other games for the Division series because I got the free trial for Fubu Fubo, but it was for a week and so I had to cancel it and I can't get another one.
Speaker 5: And then I'm like, well, where else can you watch it?
Speaker 1: Well, you can watch it on Hulu Plus Live, which is like one hundred dollars, maybe it's seventy, and it couldn't do the free trial for Hulu plus Live because I already have a Disney bundle that Hulu's included of in I have Direct TV, but I couldn't do it on Direct TV because to get the Sports bundle it's like one hundred and twenty five bucks. And I'm like, what happened to the days when you can watch games on TV? This is ridiculous. It's a playoff, I understand. I don't understand, but for the regular season maybe, but this is the playoffs. And it's not only baseball, because Anne and I were talking, it's football.
Speaker 12: Too, absolutely, and it's ridiculous at this point. It's like I was saying, it's like a scavenger hunt because there's so many potential places for these things. These games be airing that you're looking through all these different areas.
Speaker 5: Is its streaming? Is it? Is it regular TV? Is a cable? Is it?
Speaker 4: It? Just?
Speaker 5: It's nuts.
Speaker 1: It is nuts, And I don't think it's gonna get better. I think it's gonna get worse because as they do these deals and try to get oh we.
Speaker 5: Can make money here, Oh we can make money here.
Speaker 1: Let's just screw all the people who are the big fans like that Dodger fans in LA can't watch a playoff game.
Speaker 5: That's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: It's just absolutely ridiculous. I don't know how you feel about it, and and I are ticked. Yeah, and then they say, oh, sign up for the NFL package. Okay, well that's seven hundred dollars almost, I know, right for something that we used to just wake up and turn on the TV on Sundays.
Speaker 5: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: I think it's it's the way of the future. But we're not happy about it. And I don't know that there's anything we can do about it.
Speaker 5: And I've exhausted my free drive time for everything all the time.
Speaker 1: All Right, Well, I'm still gonna cheer on the Boys in Blue, but I'll just do it on AM five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 5: Except I do think. I do think tonight's game is back on regular TV. I'll check.
Speaker 1: SpaceX has sued the California Coastal Commission rejecting the company's request to increase the number of rockets it launches from Vandenberg Space for Space. The lawsuit claims the commission's decision is naked political discrimination against the company's owner, Elon Musk, Ending homelessness in LA in the next decade would cost the city about twenty two billion dollars. That's the estimate from a new LA Housing Department report. With more than forty five thousand homeless people in LA, that works out to four hundred and ninety thousand dollars per person and triple what city leaders have budgeted. The Dodgers two wins away from the World Series after beating the Mets eight nothing in Game three of the National League Championship Series. Keike Hernandez, Shohei Otani, and Max Munsey eat each hit home runs for the Dodgers.
Speaker 5: The Mets host Game four at City Field. First pitch goes out at five to oh eight.
Speaker 1: Well, the Great Shakeout is happening today, So to get ready for it, let's say good morning to the man with the longest title ever. Here we go, Global Coordinator Great Shakeout, Earthquake Drills, Executive director of Earthquake Country Alliance and director of Public Education and Preparedness for the California Earthquake Center.
Speaker 5: Good morning, Mark Bendian.
Speaker 13: Good morning. You made it through that title.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we've got the Great Shakeout coming up later this morning.
Speaker 5: Tell us about it and what we need to do.
Speaker 13: Yeah. Shakeout's an annual opportunity to learn and practice how to be safe, how we can protect ourselves during earthquakes, and also to practice other aspects of our emergency plans. It started back in two thousand and eight and it's gone global. We have more than fifty seven million people worldwide this year practicing earthquake safety, over nineteen point three million in the US and ten point five million today in California.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what time is it going to happen, and what's going to happen when.
Speaker 13: By tradition, we do at the same time as the date, So today is October seventeenth, and the time will be ten seventeen am when people will practice drop, cover and hold on, getting down low so you're not knocked down, covering yourself, getting under something if you can, for further protection, holding on to it in case it starts to move. If you can't do that, you can stay seated, cover your head. If you're somebody who uses a wheelchair, cover and hold on. Lock the wheel first, then cover and hold on. If you're still in bed, you can stay in bed, put a pillow over your head. If you're outdoors, just get down low. It's all about protecting yourself from things that might be falling or flying where you are, which is actually the greatest source of injuries during earthquakes.
Speaker 5: Okay, And a big thing that you said.
Speaker 1: I was reading an article that you had and it says don't move, which is my inclination is direct.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 13: Yeah, the research shows that people who really are trying to move somewhere are getting knocked down and injured more than if they stay where they're at. They're more likely to trip and fall or you know, the ground shaking up and down violently, not in the little earthquakes that we've had recently, but you know, in big earthquakes can really be impossible to move. We no longer have for decades, have no longer advocated going to get in a doorway. It doesn't protect you from anything that's falling or flying in the room you're at, and running outside is also dangerous, as things are falling off buildings, roof tiles, and there are things far less than any building collapse issue we need to be concerned about.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 1: And so the drill, which is drop, cover and hold on it seems kind of simplistic. And to say, hey, okay, we're ten seventeen, let's all do this. It does seem a little simplistic, but why why Mark? Is it important that we do this in practice?
Speaker 13: It's all about building that muscle memory. We're asking people to do this one minute once a year, you know it probably should be doing it. Schools do it more often, and schools are a big part of shakeout. Part of that. More than about half of the ten point five million in California today who've registered at shakeout dot org are from schools, including universities, businesses, government agencies, nonprofits, people at home all are involved in a lot of information about what to do and how to join is again at shakea dot org and also at Earthquake Country dot org. We have the seven steps to earthquake safety, what to do before, during, and after.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, what's that earthquake country.
Speaker 13: Dot quakecountry dot org. We have information in sixteen languages there too, so lots for everybody to learn and to practice today as part of the Shakeout.
Speaker 1: Okay and Mark, if we haven't registered to participate in the drill or I know that KFI is going to participate, so you'll be hearing tones on KFI at ten seventeen.
Speaker 5: But do you have to.
Speaker 1: Register to get the alerts in will we be getting alerts on our phone?
Speaker 13: Registering doesn't give you is not how you get alert. However, there is going to be a test of the mi Shake Earthquake early Warning app, which can give a few seconds of notice after the earthquakes detected, but before it gets to you, and that's going to be happening at ten seventeen as well. If you have the mi Shake app on your phone, and we recommend that people who haven't logged into that in a while do so, and make sure that you have your home location set in order to get the test alert.
Speaker 1: I have my Shake app right here, and then is there a significance mark to ten seventeen.
Speaker 13: No, it's literally a tradition that we set years ago with a former radio personality, Jack Pope Joy and I spoke when you're what's the right time to do an earthquake drill for the news? And it wasn't at the top of the hour, and we said let's do it at that happened to be a year it was. We said let's do it at ten fifteen because it was going to be on October fifteenth, and that's just been the tradition ever since.
Speaker 1: Okay, well yeah here at KFI that ten fifteen wouldn't work in the top and the bottom of the hour would not work because we're in the middle of a newscast and that's very important.
Speaker 13: Yeah, so that's why it's ten seventeen today on ten seventeen.
Speaker 1: Okay, got it, So, Mark Benthion, I'm not going to repeat your title again, but it's impressive, and thank you so much for your time. And again the websites where people can get more information and where do they shine?
Speaker 13: Also my shall time to sign up for Shakeout even if your drill is going to be on another day, it could be any day of the year at shakeout dot org. And then learn all about the seven steps to earthquake safety what to do before, during, and after at Earthquakecountry dot org.
Speaker 5: Okay, and don't forget to get the mind shake app.
Speaker 13: I've got mine, get yours too through your app store on your phone. I'll give you warning of a four point five or greater earthquake and the test alert today at ten seventeen.
Speaker 1: Perfect, and get ready to drop, cover, cover and hold on. Thank you so much, Mark, appreciate it.
Speaker 13: Thank you.
Speaker 5: Okay, you know what else is going on today.
Speaker 1: We've got a shuttle moving through the streets of Downey. We talked to the president of the Columbia Memorial Science Center on Monday because they have the Shuttle Inspiration, which is a full sized mock up and was used to actually be the design to build the shuttles that went into space, and they're moving it to the Columbia Memorial Science Center and making this new exhibit and it's going to move through the streets of Downey. You can listen to that interview was really interesting on the wake Up Call podcast on the iHeartRadio app. And of course you can listen today's show or yesterday's show, any show on the iHeartRadio app. This is KFI and KOST HD, two LUs angels, Orange County. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer and technical producer and birthday Boy Kono. Also traffic specialist Nick Back from New York City. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.