Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Dan Ray on WBS, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Pretty cool. Welcome back mister last night for sure, though Emma was doing a great job in your stead. So we've got everyone covered here in the news during Nightside, for sure, we got the best and the brightest right here checking on everything, all the different news stories, says they break. My name is Dan Ray. I'm just doing a talk show. I got the easy part. It's the news people who are working the hardest back in the in the newsroom of course, as well as Rob Brooks, the producer of this program. As I mentioned, I'm Dan Ray. I'm the host of the aptly named Nightside with Dan Ray, and we have four guests this hour. We are going to start off with the guests, but let me just remind you that coming up beginning tonight at nine o'clock, we will get to some other topics. We're going to talk about the shortage of physicians here in Massachusetts. Yeah, you know, the medical capital of the world. We don't have enough doctors. How about that. And we'll also talk about a Boston City council who now should do the right thing and during her federal trial, she's been indicted. I think it's time for her to resign. We'll talk about that. We also might get into the outburst today of the New York City shooter who is in custody in Altoona, Pennsylvania. If we've got a lot to talk about, and I hope you'll participate and join with us. And before we get the phone calls at nine, we're going to start off with the first of our four guests. His name is Steve McClatchy. He has written about what's called the Great Detachment. There's a Gallup report has been released and found employees actively looking to switch jobs. You know, current employees looking at switch jobs at the highest rate since twenty fifteen, since before COVID times. But they're not having much luck because it's a cooling job market. So Steve McClatchy, I think has some ideas and suggestions maybe for business leaders and for managers, how they can make employees maybe a little bit more happy, if that's possible. Steve McClatchy, how are you They used to be a guy who pitched for the Oakland A's who had a name very similar towards yours to yours, towards towards yours.
Speaker 3: No, similarly, not related man, not related, but I have a lot of cousins in a big, big family. I'm from the Philadelphia area.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think his name was McClatchy.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know if there's any sort of difference in spelling. Pretty good right handed pitcher for Oakland back. I guess now in the in the eighties or nineties, now last century, we're.
Speaker 3: All athletes, but none of us hit it to the professional level.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, you are a professional at the professional level, helping people build meaningful connections, eliminate conflict, and radically improve engagement. You've been advised to Fortune five hundred companies. So who's the fault here? Is it that the the employees just have itchy feed and want to keep moving, or a management companies around this country, both large and small, not doing a good job inducing their employee employees to settle in and be part of a program for a long period of time. Where's the fault? If? If it lies anywhere, what does it lie?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's so many different contributing factors to why this is going on. You had, you know, during COVID it put off a lot of people that were going to change jobs. As soon as that kind of that time passed, everybody started switching. The job market was hot. And now you know, with inflation and tightening budgets, you know, people aren't hiring. So now people want to switch and there's not any place to go, and you want to be tied to the organization's mission and its purpose. Now you have different ways of working that is contributing to it as well. You have remote workers. You go to communicate with somebody, they're not there, when are they available? Now you have employees that want to work remote leads sometimes during the office. So as far as team and bonding and creating great relationships, that's kind of a different way of going about doing that. You know, at the foundation of business dan is agreements, right, very simply, I give you ten dollars, you give me a sandwich. You know, we did business together. And when you get used to the kind of agreements where you're really good at them, and then that game gets changed and now you have remote workers. So now what are the agreements? You know, when are you working, when are you not working? When are you expected to be online? How do you communicate with your team when you need to be in the office. If you work late at night, can you take off a little bit more time during the day. Like, these are all new agreements, and there's a lot of confusion, and until that gets settled and those expectations are set and then we can start to acknowledge people, Hey, great job, you're doing awesome, fantastic. We don't have the agreements. We don't know what's above and beyond the agreements. We don't know when people are going the extra mile and really contributing. And if you're not getting appreciated and getting valued, that's certainly going to contribute to a feeling of detachment.
Speaker 2: But hasn't that always even before COVID, as we like to say before COVID times, hasn't that always been the way that there were good employers who who gave people some flexibility with their jobs as long as they had the common sense and the maturity to handle that flexibility. Has much, Yeah, but.
Speaker 5: It was slower. Damn.
Speaker 3: COVID threw us into just a mess all at one time where all of those things had to be established right away. It was hey, oh, I want to take you Mondays off. It was like, all right, we'll try it with these employees and it's working, and I know how to manage them remotely, and I'm getting all of a sudden, your entire workforce was remote. It really threw a curveball at a manager's ability. I mean to take advantage of all the communication systems and to leverage. And there's people still not comfortable jumping on Zoom and Microsoft Teams and doing a face to face working remotely, and you know, how do you collaborate and how do you communicate? Those things are still they're not as smooth. I had a Zoom call this week where now I can't hear you. I got to relog in and then they logged in. I couldn't understand them. The audio is all just like, there's technical difficulties and you're trying to get work done. Your customer is demanding quality and speed from you. And not only do they want the quality and speed, their expectations are even higher. Why inflation, everything got more expensive, so the customer figures, hey, this is more expensive, don't I deserve more? No, you're getting the same thing that you used to get for a higher price. And that doesn't sit well with the customer. If I'm paying more. I should get more, but inflation made just everything more expensive without getting more for it, We're getting the same thing. So those expectations make customers really upset and that's difficult to deal with on a day to day basis.
Speaker 2: Well, you have described a perfect economic conundrum. You described this very well. By the way, I don't know how we how problem.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So what we need to do is get our expectations, our agreements right, start being able to acknowledge people, because that's going to be one of the biggest things that engages people. Now that there's a word, Dan that is overused, right, the word engagement, let me share with you exactly how it's measured. It's measured in discretionary effort. So, if you do your job, Dan, you do it well, you're considered disengaged. Engagement is you do more than your paid to do. You come into work early, you stay late, you work on the weekend, you help somebody else with their job, and that's not your job to do that. When you're going above and beyond, you're considered engaged. This is why it's such a valuable metric and everybody wants to figure out how to grow it. Because if you employees doing more than their paid they're your most valuable employees. So if you wanted the silver bullet with engagement, if you on a scale of one to five, give your boss a five that you strongly agree that your boss gives you pop. How does it a feedback and emphasizes your strengths, what you're good at. You have a sixty seven percent chance that employees engage. The national average stand is under twenty percent, So you can jump over forty points just by doing one thing really well. Appreciating, valuing, acknowledging, recognize. It doesn't always have to be public. It has to be sincere. It has to be specific. The employee needs to know that their contribution means something that is number one contributing factor to engagement.
Speaker 2: So I don't think I don't think most bosses understand this simple rubric that most employees will strive to do better if they get an occasional pat on the backing for doing extra. They're not necessarily yeah, they're like a raise. But if you walk out of there on a Friday and your boss says, hey, great job this week, that can get you through the weekend and make you look forward to Monday. Morning, and too many bosses in America don't understand it.
Speaker 3: And the data proves that. Man, the data reinforces exactly what you're saying that when employees feel valued and appreciated, they're more engaged. As a matter of fact, the higher the engagement, it takes an employee an increase of twenty to thirty percent pay raise forget to get them to even think about leaving the job they're in. When you like your boss, you feel valued by your contributions with your boss. Well, again, let's go back to what are the agreements? What are you being paid to do? How do we know if someone's going above and beyond? So we got to get that right and if we do it, really is the solution to what this problem is. This problem is causing. The other thing is, you know, you want to know your work has an impact. What does your organization do? What's the impact of it? When you can revisit that with your employees and say, hey, we're making a difference. We're not just all making money and making widgets. We are making an impact. We have a mission, we have values and we are we have a purpose and we are making an impac act on that mission.
Speaker 2: Well, I love your philosophy and I love the passion with which you express it. Steve, and as I understand that you have a consulting and training and consulting company, and also you're well sought after speaker. How can folks get in touch with you and tell us about the book? The book is leading Relationships, build meaningful connections, eliminate conflict, and radically improve engagement. I'm assuming that is available Amazon and all bookstores and you can find that.
Speaker 3: Yes, you can pre order it. It doesn't come out there until February fifth. I couldn't even we're excited about this book. This book is twenty three years in the making. There hasn't been anything new in the area of relationships in over thirty years. This is a framework that really helps you to diagnose the biggest problems you have in your relationships and how to solve them. And it comes out February fifth. You can pre order it on Amazon, Barnes and Noble Books a million. The best way to get in touch with me if you have a retreat, if you want employee development. Leadership development is a leer dot com. It's a L L E E our dot com. That's the basically to reach me Steve at a lear dot com. It's my email address.
Speaker 2: Sounds great. Again, I think you got the right message. I wish more people who are in charge of others were to understand that. Again, a patent the back goes a hell of a lot long, but does a lot more than a kick in the butt and maybe even then a bit of a pay raise. Steve, appreciate it, Steve McClatchy.
Speaker 3: Dan, great talking to you. Thanks for having me tonight.
Speaker 2: Great to talk to you as well. We'll talk again we come up. We're going to talk about a little bit of a downer subject, troubling Toyland. Gonna watch out for this year's most dangerous toys. This is always a problem. You want to get your kid, particularly the young children, your grandchild, your your your son, your daughter, maybe a niece or nephew, good toy, but you want to make sure it's doesn't have some hidden dangers. When we talk with doctor Fami Farah about the ten most dangerous toys, and I hope none of these toys are on your list. Back on Night Side right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nice Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, we've had a little bit of a change in online up here, and I want to Malcolm welcome Chris Menta. He's a part of at Kroquetti's outlet, part of the butcher shop that is opening up soon. Okay, So I'm a little confused by that. Are you guys open working now at this point, Chris, or are you in the process of getting this butcher shop up and running.
Speaker 5: No, the butcher shop has been We've actually been around for one hundred and seventeen years we started.
Speaker 2: You're gonna last at one hundred and that's that's pretty impressive. Okay.
Speaker 5: I don't know why we're and we've been in Bridgewater E's Bridgewater now since nineteen seventy seven. So it's it's a butcher shop in the front. And my partner, who's a four generation owner, Carlo, had a building behind him that he had a small distribution company. He sold it off and he contacted me and said, hey, listen, you want to throw your hat back in the ring again. I had kind of retired from the food business, and he said, let's open up a deep discount food store so we can help out families in the area. You know, we both had been talking about it for years, how the cost of food is really hammering families, and we had a shot to open up this facility. So we remodeled it and it's called the Outlet at Corsettes. It's going to be behind the butcher shop. We're not open yet. We're probably going to open up in January, but it's an opportunity for families to really save and as you know, food is just at an all time high.
Speaker 2: Okay, So what you're doing though in the meantime is I understand that, And I think the reason why we're having you on tonight is that your employees are gathering hundreds of to always ahead of your you do an annual toy drive with the which which Fight Apartment? The Fight Apartment in East Bridgewater.
Speaker 5: This is the East Bridgewater. So part of opening the outlet, we wanted to have a community component to it where we would you know, be able to help out in the community. So, like I said, the outlet's not even open yet. We started with Thanksgiving. We handed out four hundred and twelve turkeys to very deserving veterans and it became so overwhelming for us that we said, hey, you know what, let's do a toy drive. It'll be our first annual. We're not open yet, but let's do this. And every Monday we have a morning huddle with our team in the butcher shop and we said, hey, listen, this is something that's really near and dear to our hearts. We'd like everybody to get involved. Whatever way you can help would be awesome. About five days later, I walked in and I literally was looking at over three hundred toys and I have less than forty employees, so you do the mass.
Speaker 2: And it was a couple close to ten toys per per employee. So when will the toys be distributed or are they being distributed as we go along?
Speaker 5: So actually we haven't even started to drive yet. It's this Saturday, nine to two at behind the butcher shopping Corsetti's Oakdale Packing at the outlet. People could bring down a new unwrapped toy. We're going to actually give them a five pound bag of chicken nuggets because the theme of this year is a nug Life Christmas Toy Drive. We sell a tremendous amount of chicken nuggets and we wanted to have fun with it. About a year ago and we came up with this whole nug life and we're having a blast with it. So we said, you know what we're going to hand people. You bring us a toy, We're going to hand your five pound bag of chicken nuggets.
Speaker 2: Sounds it sounds like everybody wins here.
Speaker 5: This is it's a total win at the end of.
Speaker 2: So they will there will be a day people, you know, start this weekend, Saddy bringing toys in and then when do you distribute the toys? When when does city?
Speaker 5: Well, we're going to actually turn them over toys. We're actually going to turn them over to the East Bridgewater Fire Department, who we partnered with along with Toys for Tots, So they're going to distribute it within the community, which were really.
Speaker 2: They're gonna work. They're gonna work hand in hand with Santa Claus. I'm sure in doing this absolutely absolutely, absolutely well, Chris, that sounds like a great way to work within the community. You folks have been in the each East Bridgewater community for how many years?
Speaker 5: Since since nineteen seventy seven?
Speaker 2: Okay, well that's coming up on fifty years when you when you think about it, so they must love you down there in East Bridgewater, and they're gonna love you even more with some chicken nuggets and some toys being distributed. Sounds absolutely You guys should become the You should be the East Bridgewater Citizens of the Year. Thanks for sharing now again. Give us the location where people can come this Saturday and drop off some new unwrapped toys and in exchange, pick up some chicken.
Speaker 5: Give us the Corsettis Oakdale Packing in East Bridgewater, Massachusett's three seventy eight Pleasant Street. It'll be on the rear of the parking lot where it says the outlet at Corsettis. You can't miss it. It's a huge billboard. And just come through the front door. You'll see the fire Fire Department's gonna have some fire trucks there so we can help fill them with toys. There's gonna be a lot going on. We have a food truck, but bring an unwrapped toy down. We can't wait to pass you a five pounds bag of chicken nuggets. And it's gonna be a great time. We're gonna have some food, some fun. It's gonna be a win for everybody.
Speaker 2: That's great. Chris Menta Thank you very much for what you do your fixedure in Eastbridge Water. Thanks for joining us tonight on nights that we'll talk.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much. And Merry Christmas, and Merry Christmas to you.
Speaker 2: Is that is my holiday. Merry Christmas to you, Chris, thanks very much. All Right, when we get back, I'm not sure we're going to go. We have two more guests scheduled and hopefully they'll both both be here. I've got to check with Rob. He's running the showback at Broadcast Central. In the meantime, stick around here. We got the news at the bottom of the hour for you, and then we'll be back on a Tuesday night edition of Nightside with Dan Ray right here in WBZ Boston's News Radio ten thirty on your amw WALKSA can download if you like. Pretty easy. You can download the iHeart app. It's free. Just go to your your app store and you can then hear listen to ihat three hundred and sixty five days a year, twenty four to seven, wherever you are in the world. Coming back on Nightside after this, You're.
Speaker 1: On night Side with Dan Ray. I'm WBZ Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, Christmas is right around the corner. It's not what you think about it. It's fifteen days away and a lot of toys that Santa Claus is going to bring to children around the country. And with us is doctor Fammi Farah. She's a cardiologist, a board certified invasive cardiologist. But she's going to tell us about this list, a toy toy list of basically toys that can cause harm. I mean, I would have thought at this point, doctor Fara, that they would have washed all those harmful toys out of the out of the product line. What's going on.
Speaker 6: I think one of the issues could be that toys they're coming from, you know, different parts of the world. With online shopping, I think it's just very easy for people to get toys from anywhere, and maybe there aren't as much regulation as there used to be at one point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think you're right at that. As a matter of fact, this report actually is from a group here in Boston called World Against Toys Causing Harm. You're familiar with the list, I assume, I hope I.
Speaker 7: Have seen the list, yes, okay, and they've been doing this for fifty two years, and the toys and toys that They're not what you call classic toys, not toys that any of us would have heard well that I've not heard of.
Speaker 2: But some of them the Pinvoke toy, cold forty five pistol, the Bristol hedgehog, a kinetic sand scent ice cream treats. What is I hate to ask this of you, but since I have the list here, have you had a chance to look at any of these toys? Or or am I asking you questions that that are a little unfair At this point.
Speaker 6: I have looked up a few, but not all, I must admit, But yes, some of the are very interesting, like you know, the ice wroom treats for example, the sands and ice wroom treats. My assumption would be there are small particles that small children can, you know, easily put into their mouths and try to ingest. That wouldn't be so good?
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of Yeah. A lot of these injuries are injuries to eyes, potential for suffocation. Again, the names don't mean much to me, but one of them is Transformers, Earth Sparks, Cybersley. What what should parents do when they're consulting with Santa Claus about a toy, particularly for young kids, kids under the age of five or six years of age. What's there must be some general rules that parents can use, even though they might see the toy or say it to my children the toy and they might think, oh, gee, isn't that great. It's it's it's a nice, pretty toy in a son or our daughter would like it. But how can they figure out because a lot of the toys will say uh for children one to three. And implicit in that is that there's some sort of government regulatory agency. Because the government regulates everything that has that has put its impromter of okay for kids one to three.
Speaker 6: That doesn't necessarily mean it's safe, right, exactly, not necessarily. And you know, some of the common uh, the most common injuries that we are concerned about here are those very small children that can put things into their mouths and try to ingest or actually they can end up choking, and so those things, Like, parents do need to be careful about what's out there. Just because it's out there doesn't mean that they should approve it for their children. They should really use their judgment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my wife was cautioning me the other day about but I did not realize this that that even a toy as simple as a balloon can cause choking. If a child is you know, past the balloon, you know, somehow in their mouth or whatever, or near their mouth, and the balloon breaks, it can then you know, basically cause them to choke. Something that I would not have thought of. We were at a little street fear where they were giving away balloons for our four year old two and a half year old grandson, and of course he wanted balloons, but my wife said, no, you know, you contrast balloons, something even as simple as a balloon does present harm. So I think it's something that people should should really keep in mind. And again this list is from the World. It's called the World Against Toys Causing Harm Watch it's a good acronym. It's fifty second annual nominees for the ten Worst Toys for twenty twenty four. And some of them sound pretty pretty pretty nice. Zoo Zam Doggie, xylophone. Well, what could be the problem with the xylophone? But it says potential for ingestion and choking injury, So please be careful. If you're getting something and you're counseling with Santa Claus, make sure that nothing that can that is sharp edged, that can hurt someone's eyes, poke in their ears, poke up their nostrils, or some with small items that they can they can choke on. I guess parents have to be diligent and Santa Claus better be diligent too, Doctor, I would think.
Speaker 6: Yes, exactly. So it's not just parents, it's all those gifts that children are going to be getting from, you know, relatives, friends. But at the end of the day, though, regardless of who gives it as the parents to be cautious about whether they give the children access to those or not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do think that there are some traditional toys that have stood the test of time, and those are the ones that I think maybe you want to think of and maybe stay away from some of the more exotic toys, that's for sure, Doctor Farrar, thanks very much, sorry about the confusion earlier. We missed you at A twenty or so. It sounds to me like you got some activity in the background there that you have to take care of as well. So thank you so much for joining us tonight talking about Trouble and Toyland, the World's most Dangerous Toys. This year's most Dangerous toys.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much, Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: Good night. Okay, we did last night on night Side two hours, which we call our eighteenth annual Nightside College and Missions Panel, and one of the topics that we mentioned last night, we didn't have a chance to talk about it for a long period of time. We had with US Bill Fitzsimmons, who's the Dean of Admissions at Harvard for his eighteenth year. And we had also with US Grant Goslin, who's the Dean of undergraduate Admissions at Boston College or the Dean of undergraduate Admission singularly at Boston College. All of these titles are just they're they're very similar, but there's little nuance in them that I want to respect. So we're going to talk with an expert, Jack Wallace, about FAFSA. Now there's an acronym for everything, but this FAFSA stands for the Free Application for Federal Student I got it for student aid. Yeah, I can't even read my own writing. And it's a great program, and a lot of people, I guess are being intimidated by it and they're not filling out the forms. And this is one that could lead to some loans or some support for your son or daughter going after college. So please stay with us. And by the way, if you missed last night's eight o'clock or nine o'clock hour, all of our hours are posted on Nightside on demand dot com and those or two. If you are a parent or a grandparent of a student who's approaching the college application time of their life meaning freshman, sophomore, junior in high school, this is a very important hour. We had some students call in last night, which is always a lot of fun, and Bill Fitzimmons and Grant Goslin has always did a great job. So please feel free to go to Nightside on Demand dot Com not during the show, but you can do that later on tonight or tomorrow on your way into work. Nightside on Demand dot Com each hour is reduced to about forty two minutes of content, so easy to find, easy to play, and when you're sitting there on the Southeast Expressway at seven thirty tomorrow morning, it'll keep you from just screaming out of frustration. We'll be back on Nights Out a little bit more about thefts coming up.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan ray Line from the Window World. Nightside Studios on w b Z News Radio.
Speaker 2: All Right, welcome back. Let's get to our fourth and final guest this hour, Jack Wallace. He's an expert on FAFSA, which an acronym that stands for Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Last night, Jack, I was telling the audience before we went to break, we had two college admissions directors on, Bill Fitzsimmons of Harvard and Grant Goslin of Boston College. It was the eighteenth show we've done on a college admissions panel, and we didn't mention. We did talk about FAFSA last night briefly, but I'm so glad that you're on to talk about it in more depth tonight. It will compliment what we didn't get to cover as thoroughly as we wanted to. So tell us about FAFSA. How long has it been around? It is one of those programs that the government runs that everybody should take advantage of.
Speaker 4: Well, Dan, it's nice to be with you and your listeners again. It's hard to believe that thirty years ago you viewed me on other timely topics, and the one that you have tonight is extremely timely for those that are thinking about.
Speaker 2: What was the timely topic that we talked about in the nineteen nineties, thirty years ago.
Speaker 4: There was one in nineteen ninety when the Commonwealth was having a little bit of financial difficulty and I was an investment banker at Bank of Boston to help negotiate a well, today you'd call a bailout, but in those days we just called it alone. And then in nineteen ninety two we had some political discussion during the presidential race because I was involved with the Bush Quail campaign. There.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so a life has treated you well. It sounds to me like, are you still working? Are you retired?
Speaker 4: I am, I am consulting. And the only smart thing I did was I moved out of Boston because I'm in Arizona now and I'm enjoying seventy five degree weather instead of snow and rain and all that other cold stuff.
Speaker 2: You guys got go jacket just to make you feel a little better. Tomorrow, we're supposed to have like two inches of rain and it's supposed to be windswept rain. We went through a couple of months with Arizona type temperatures at September and octobera you.
Speaker 4: Guys, it was one day Dan it was warmer in Boston by ten degrees than it was here in Phoenix, Arizona.
Speaker 2: Well, let me tell you a few years ago. We were in Arizona in January, and in January it's generally what they call the January thaw here in New England, and in January it was like fifty degrees or whatever in Boston and in Arizona. Although the sun was out in January, it was like thirty eight degrees.
Speaker 4: It was take I remember that, Yeah, you're all it was spot on at thirty eight degrees.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it was two. I think it was twenty seventeen if I'm not mistaken, But it was like it was one of those weird you guys had a cold spell for like about five days and then it was back to your normal eighties and Sunday every day. So tell us about Faster because I think a lot of people still want to know about it and what they when they can.
Speaker 4: It was very, very important. The new Fast Reform for the high school class at twenty twenty five and those that are going to be going to school in the next academic year that begins July first, twenty twenty five, just came out about two weeks ago, and as some of your listeners may know, we had a horrific rollout. They redid the fastest.
Speaker 2: This is like a New Year September or October, correct, if I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 4: Well, normally it comes out of October. Last year, the FASTA came out on New Year's Eve, so it was Happy New Year from the US Department of Education. And then the system crashed. And you know, it was supposed to be a simpler application process because they reduced the number of questions and they made it easier to get your financial data.
Speaker 2: It was real simple, because it didn't work. I mean, you can't make it any more any simpler than that.
Speaker 4: It was very simple, but extremely stressful, not only for the students and the parents, but for the financial aid officers and for the admissions officers because normally it's a process that goes from October to about May one. When the high school seniors had got to commit, you know, the schools weren't getting their data until mid March or April one, which delayed the admission stuff, which also impacted enrollment last year, and we saw a number about five to ten percent across the country decrease in college enrollment. And that's even with the pool of high school applicants. We've got a big graduation class this year, about three point nine million, but it is going to go down precipitously after that. But anyway, the good news is that the new form is out. It's open live to everybody who's going to be going in school as a freshman or returning to school as an upper classman or a graduate student. And we historically in Massachusetts we're above the national average, but you know, which is about fifty five percent of the people completed the fast nationally for the class of twenty twenty four high school students in Massachusetts we were like fifty six percent, but that was down about eight and a half percent from the high school class of twenty twenty three because of all that pain and suffering.
Speaker 2: So the bottom line is the bottom line is if you have a family member, a child heading off to college or in college, you got to look because if you don't doesn't cost you anything. And if you don't look at it, you might be leaving some loan or some loan forgiveness on the table.
Speaker 4: You're absolutely unequivalently correct. We'll leave out the long forgiveness for it. But you're right, right right, you're right.
Speaker 2: I misspoke when I said that. As soon as I said, I said, no, that's.
Speaker 4: Not right, right, right, right, right right. That was eighty five percent of the people that fill out fast book get some sort of financial aid. And the other thing is that is it not only for federal grants and scholarships and student loans, but states like Massachutts, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, or colleges or universities like the schools you had on last night, they also used the fast for data to do grants and scholarships and work study and either federal student loans or private loans. So it's extremely important. It doesn't cost anything, and this year it takes about half as much time as it took historically to complete the form.
Speaker 2: So what's the website? Is it just FASSA.
Speaker 5: What you want to do?
Speaker 4: If it depends upon www dot studentaid Aid, dot gog for those that are applying as for the first time. And remember it's not just the student, it's the student or the guardian, whoever the contributor is. If you have a dependent student, they need to fill out a form in their own account as well. So they need to go to that website, set up an FSA account for the student to do it themselves and for the parents of the guardian to do theirs. And then once they get confirmation on that form that account has been accepted, then they go to the fact again to fill out the actual fast reform. And for that, Dan, you're going to need your name as it appears on your Social Security card, your Social Security number, an email address, phone number, residential address. We're going to be using tax information for tax year twenty twenty three, so that's the year we're going to be using with a new form that was created the parents, which a lot of times in the past, a lot of the parents didn't want to share their information on the form with the kids. But they started this well last year, but this year as well. You can check a box and have your financial data sent from the I R S to the US Department of Education so that they can do the calculations and make the determination. So we should see an increase in applications this year.
Speaker 2: So let's let's do That's hit the web. Let's let's hit the website one more time, Jack, So they just go to.
Speaker 4: Student www dot Studentaid AI, d dot gov, dot dot com, dot go right by the.
Speaker 2: Way that www dot stuff. Don't need it anymore. Studentaid dot gov will get you there. That's all you got to put it in in the browser. Student aid AI, student AI, d aid dot gov. Jack Wallace, great to hear your voice. I'm jealous. Enjoy Arizona. I mean, the only thing is you don't get the Bruins out there anymore because your hockey team has moved to Utah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, so we have to wait for the Patriots and the bus and Red Sox to show up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well the Red Sox won't be there. Well, they won't be there for spring training, but maybe they'll be there against your.
Speaker 4: Well, we get them out here every couple of years. But Dan, good luck to all your listeners, and we'll be back in a couple of months to talk about how to finance their education if they didn't get all those scholarships and grants for those high price goodles they got there back in the way.
Speaker 2: It was good to meet Jack. Thanks so much for reminding me of prior conversations. I remember them well. Thank you, my friend. We'll talk soon.
Speaker 4: Always a pleasure. Thanks An back at you good night.
Speaker 2: Merry Christmas by the way out there, even though it probably doesn't feel like Christmas with no snow, we'll have snow here. I suspect we'll be back on Night Side on the other side, and we're going to talk about the Physician Pathway Act. Do you want to get more doctors in Massachusetts? You got to listen. Coming back on Nightside,