Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day, now Here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: Feels like old times, doesn't it.
Speaker 3: Talking about the NCAA having it out for Louisville, always trying to stick it to us. We've been here before, haven't we. I don't know if it was fatigue that set in or it was more so just not caring anymore. But I don't remember a moment when that kind of faded, but it did, right, I mean, it was. My guess would be that this year's long thing that was man, the NCAA, they just have it out for Louisville. We're gonna be the ultimate example of why you should never cooperate because you get nothing out of it. I don't know if that faded because we did not get an actual punishment as far as like, well, we did the punishment, the death penalty was essentially given to us. We had so many years of not knowing. Therefore, it did impact kids wanting to come to Louisville because a lot of them might have said, yeah, for sure, but I don't want to go there if I know for certain that there's no tournament because they're gonna get I mean, yet people like Pat Forty who write at the time, he was writing for Yahoo nas it's pores illustrated that we're you know, basically saying Louis's gonna get the death penalty. I mean, you had somebody who worked for our own paper in town, the Courier Journal, when Chris Mack was here, claiming Louisville was going to get the death penalty, when that wasn't realistic in any way. The death penalty is not a punishment as far as what it actually is.
Speaker 2: It's not realistic.
Speaker 3: It's not there are TV contracts with these networks based off your conference that like you can't just have say a team doesn't get to play on TV like that, that wouldn't happen. So I don't know if it was because in the end, whenever we went through the what was it the I RP process, right that they just decided, you know, they're they're moving on from it. I don't know if that led to us just feeling okay, all right, well they didn't end up giving us a postseason ban, or if it was more so we were already dead right because things fell apart so bad and Max last year, and then the Kenny Payne.
Speaker 2: Era was death. Quite literally, it killed us, and.
Speaker 3: We thankfully had somebody named Pat Kelsey bring us back to life. But I mean it used to just be a constant conversation within shows like this every day about all the NCAA.
Speaker 2: The hell with them?
Speaker 3: You know, we got to keep fighting to get the banner back there. They're crazy, and I mean I don't I'm not saying anybody who had that mindset and shared those thought I'm not saying they're wrong, but man, I just I think I just had fatigue. And then again, like when you were really, really in a bad place, I mean you're sitting here thinking, like, you know, maybe maybe it would be nice because then, you know, if we already knew we were dealt a year with no postseason for sure, then maybe we would, you know, not be as sad with the loss as that come. But either way, the reason I'm bringing all this up is because the NCAA has denied Ali Khalifa's request for an extension on his five year clock. And I haven't heard the five year clock thing mentioned in a long time because it just doesn't seem to be followed in any way consistently. I mean, maybe there are examples of players that have been injured like he was and then red shirted to where they only played three years, but it was in a five year window, so therefore they're done. Like I'm sure there are example. There are so many college athletes out there that you know, none of us have never heard of, don't know anything about, because you know, there's just that many programs. But Ali Khalifa is somebody that I just cannot imagine anybody reviewing his situation and like I'm surprised to he even had to like put in a waiver, Like it wouldn't shock me if if Ali and his crew, you know U of L Basketball, they're just trying to be as compliant as possible because that's what you're supposed to do, and like maybe they put it on the radar, like if he just play, if he just played next year without any kind of request.
Speaker 2: Part of me says, no way that would ever happen.
Speaker 3: But like he's only played three years, and I bet there's many people out there right now that follow college athletes, college follow college sports more than just casually that didn't even realize that was still a thing because you know, I many guys are playing college sports that have been in college for longer than five years. I mean, it's not everybody, but man, it's it's no longer a surprise when you turn on your TV to watch a college football or a college basketball game and you got somebody out there that's in a fifth, sixth, seventh year. I mean, our quarterback who just played here one year, he's going to be twenty five years old.
Speaker 2: In fact, I think he might. Is he twenty four or twenty five? I think he might.
Speaker 3: Is he twenty five? That sounds crazy, but I don't know. Tyler Schuck might be twenty five. He's either twenty four or twenty five.
Speaker 2: Either way.
Speaker 3: Ali Khalifa isn't just trying to, you know, find a loop Pohl to manipulate the system. This dude showed up at Charlotte in two thousand and twenty and twenty one, which of course was the first year of his college career. He did not play.
Speaker 2: He red shirted.
Speaker 3: I don't know the specifics as far as what he red shirted for, but it was not medical. But you're entitled to multiple different reags like you're entitled to red shirt for great reasons you're entiled. You know, you're entitled to red shirt for you know, it's probably not listed as because of grades. But anyways, that first year that he showed up at Charlotte and did not play, that's a free year for everybody in college sports. That's why a lot of guys got the fifth year right, because.
Speaker 2: That didn't count. It was a free year for everybody.
Speaker 3: Well, there are guys who played in that season that are still playing college basketball this upcoming season. He didn't play red shirt it played two years then at Charlotte, then one at BYU, did not play this past year, so he's only played three years. And with where college athletics is right now, no real. I mean again, maybe this is just karma for me saying the NC DOUBLEA seems as powerless as they've ever been this day and age, in the last you know, eighteen months, two years, and yet this is how they do, in fact use some power by claiming that he's in fact not going.
Speaker 2: To be eligible to play. So they're going to appeal it, and.
Speaker 3: I'm holding out hope, But can you really like just expect the NC double E to make the obvious correct decision.
Speaker 2: I don't know if we can.
Speaker 3: The good thing is is they're appealing and he's also hired a lawyer, and I don't know if I mean, I feel like there will be countless examples that can be used in court by your lawyer that will have a judge tell the NC DOUBLEA.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can't.
Speaker 3: You cannot claim that this guy is not entitled to another year of college athletics when you've got countless examples of players that didn't like it'd be different if he played. He did not play a second for two years of college, one because of an injury where he had surgery, had to completely rehab an injury, change his body, which he's done that and the other again, like I don't know, I don't know why I didn't play, but like that should matter. It's clearly an age thing. You got guys playing college sports that are damnure thirty. So I hope they get it worked out. But and what gives like in a previous world prior to the NC DOUBLEA just getting bit over in court seemingly every day for the last two years, I would have just said, you know, they're going to do what they do and there's nobody that's going to hold them accountable. But we're now in a new world where people hire lawyers and the NCAA is held accountable and they're told you don't have you don't have a right to do that. You can't just decide because we said so, this guy can't play. And for a while there wasn't that process of taking it to court and having the legal battle. I mean, I'm sure that did happen from time to time, but I'm glad that that did start happening because now you you know, now things that were clearly just wrong can you know, can be made right. It's a process you don't want to have to go through, but that's what that's what that's what gives me hope that he'll be able to get this thing figured out. And the example I used earlier, and the only I'm only using this as an example because I mean, it's the only player off top I could think of that I know started his college career the same year that Ali Khalifa did. And that's Jay Trayer, Louisville, former Louisville player who started his career in the freebie year that didn't count for anybody, but he played as a freshman. It was Max. It was max first year. I'm sorry, No, no, no, no, it was Maxed. It was Max year with I guess his last full season. It was with car League DJ those guys. JJ was a freshman that year and then he played next year that was the Mac and Pegee year. JJ played, and then the year after that he played for Kenny Payne many games, and then the next year he red shirted but played in like ten maybe I think it was eight games actually, so he played but got hurt and didn't play in enough games to where he got the medical red shirt. Well, then he transferred to Paul that's where he played this past year. Well, he has another year of eligibility. He's playing at Murray State. So this is somebody that has actually played to an extent in five years of college basketball. Now he's getting a six year to play. And trust me, this is I want to be clear, this is not a JJ shouldn't be eligible, but it's just if he is. Rightfully, so, why would Ali Khalifa not be eligible?
Speaker 2: Make it make sense? You can't.
Speaker 3: Now the NCAA's never made sense seemingly as far as on a consistent basis, But now like you can have a little bit of belief that this process through the appeal and an attorney will get it corrected, because again, there are plenty of guys that as much as you know, we love to the NCAA is an easy punching bag, right because for us, obviously, given the fact that you know, we seemingly got no help from punishing ourselves, and they just viewed what went on at Minority Hall without any following of any of their actual guidelines and how they go about punishing people. What it came down to is they can't put a monetary value on an alleged sex act. So they just said, look, take your medicine the nature of what went on, like you're lucky, we don't close you down. Like that's the way they operated. So, you know, look kind of get it now, Like I mean, you really can't put a monetary value on a sex act. But nonetheless, like we've always felt like the NCAA has been out to get us, and we've had issues with the nc double A that really aren't the nualea's fault.
Speaker 2: It's our on fault, not meaning fans.
Speaker 3: But like you know, let's not act like things haven't gone on that should not have gone on here at U of L. But I mean, this just to me seems I mean, I don't know. When I saw the news, I'm like, that makes no sense, Like this can't be, like in what way would he not be eligible? So we shall see. But look, it'll change a lot for Louislle if he can't go, because you know you already have mean your front court would be I mean, let's put it this way without a new addition, which it sounds like Pat Kelsey is gonna add some guy. I don't know who it is. I have no clue who it may even be. I know there's a couple of foreign players that are on the radar. Maybe that's who could end up coming over. But if you know you lost James Scott unexpectedly and you know his presence will be missed, his production, as we've discussed, probably not a huge issue, but still he's not somebody in any way that I that I think is just okay, who cares he's leaving? And I'm sure Pat Kelsey doesn't think that way either. Well then now Khalifa, his eligibility is in limbo. So Sonny Frew and uh in case in prior man and I guess throw, uh, throw javaon in there as well, like that's your front court. And I actually like all those pieces, but like that's it. If Khalifa is ineligible, and of course if they don't add other players, which I believe they're going to. I just you know, I don't have a lot of info on that. I wish, I wish I did, but I don't. So that's uh, that's where we are. Not a good way for Pat Kelsey to be celebrating his fiftieth birthday.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: I imagine he probably knew about this before today, and they, I would hope, feel pretty good about the appeals process. But from when I was told earlier today by somebody at UL that you know, they they they're going to appeal it, and I guess they're hopeful, but they also know that they have no like there's no timeline. The NSABA could get to it tomorrow, they could get to it in September. I mean, you just don't know. All we can do is hope. But yes, today is Pat Kelsey's fiftieth birthday. Happy birthday to Pat Kelsey. And uh I mentioned earlier that like I'd never even have ever thought about his age. I just assumed he didn't age because you know, he's a he doesn't sleep, he's a he's a maniac.
Speaker 2: And I mean that in a good way.
Speaker 3: A maniac full of positive energy, good vibes, and you know, hell of a basketball coach. But if you'd told me he turned forty five or forty six today, I would have believed it.
Speaker 2: But he's fifty.
Speaker 3: And when I mentioned that earlier, there were some texts that came in on the Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line. By the way, it's five O two four three eight ninety seventy three. And if you want to give us a call, you can do that too, five O two five seven one seventy nine hundred. But two people said that they thought Pat Kelsey would be older, whereas another person said that they thought Pat Kelsey would have been closer to forty than fifty. I mean, maybe it's just because you know, I might be in love with this guy, because he brought us back to life and he's made me feel better about Louisville basketball than I ever thought I could after what went on prior to his arrival. But like, nobody thinks he looks older than fifty, right, Like maybe I'm gassing my guy up a little bit as far as like looking young. But I think if you, you know, you give me a you give me a side by side, like a lineup if you will of other people turning fifty years old, I would assume that he's going to look on the younger side. In fact, now we've got an interesting thing to do the next segment. Austin and I are going to work together to see who else is celebrating birthdays today and see if there's anybody else turning fifty good, and then we can find other maybe celebrities, you know, white dudes that are fifty or recently turned fifty.
Speaker 2: Maybe they turn.
Speaker 3: Fifty next week or last week, and we'll, you know, we'll see if and we'll try to find some that are celebrities to the point where we know who they are, like a lot of people would at least know who we're talking about, and then we can go from that. Let's do it so again. Happy birthday, Pat Kelse. He could throw the first pitch at the Reds game today. And I don't follow baseball at all, and certainly don't follow much about the Reds, but all I've heard in recent weeks, is that their fans hate their team and that who's the guy who is the real promising young star?
Speaker 2: What is his name?
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean I don't think he's been like bad, but it does sound as if like maybe he hasn't necessarily elevated as much as people expected.
Speaker 4: I won Okay, I won't.
Speaker 3: I won't claim to know that I know anything about the Reds in their situation, but it just seems like the Reds are, you know, their fans are back to just being you know, they used to be you know, they used to know where they stand. But also they would really get excited, which is what it should be. They were excited this year for Terry Frank. Yeah, but now like they hate their team. But today they let Pat Kelsey throw out the first pitch and they win seven to one. So like, let's just listen, let's not act like that's just some random coincidence. That's that's the energy you get. I mean, when PK is involved, you got a better chance of winning. Yeah, I mean he did show up here and say we're gonna win games, and he clearly meant it, and that's you know, that's exactly what happened. So exactly exactly, all right, So the let's see the the Caleb Williams situation real quick. I don't I haven't read the entire ESPN article, but I just feel like this has got to be an awkward situation in Chicago. But maybe not because I think even going into the draft, when it became clear he had no doubt and he was going to get drafted by Chicago. I mean, at that point, I think he, you know, Bears fans probably realized and maybe understood why he didn't want to go there, and they were willing to move on. But the details as far as what Caleb Williams and his family were at least going to try to do or at least thought about doing to avoid going to Chicago, I mean, if I was a fan of the Bears, I mean I would feel like, first of all, you should be lucky to be here. Maybe that's not true, but as a fan you might think that. But also like he's not good, Like he may know and he does get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to just like being the quarterback for the Bears who could make the Bears look good. There's such a mess, right, But like anybody claiming that he showed a lot of real upside in his rookie season. I don't know where you saw that.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: Again, it may just be because of how lousy they are as a franchise, and he may end up being really good down the line. But like, if he's not, I'm not going to be totally shocked. But this is from this is an excerpt from ESPN on the whole situation. So there is a book that it's coming out, American Kings, a Biography of the Quarterback. And I don't know if that's a book about a lot of quarterbacks or just him featured among many other quarterbacks. But I'm reading here from ESPN dot coms This quarterback, Kaye Williams, was so concerned about being picked by the Chicago Bears in twenty twenty four that he and his family weighed blowing up the entire NFL draft, consulting with lawyers to figure out a way around the league's collective bargaining agreement while considering signing with the United Football League. That again came from the book quote, Chicago is the place quarterbacks go to die. Carl Williams, Caleb's father told Seth Wickersham, author of American King's biography of the quarterback, in the months before the twenty twenty four so this happened, So this was all on record, meaning like for the book, prior to him being drafted. So like, if I was Caleb Williams, I would find a way to like maybe he already has like address this and claim that he's happy to be in Chicago, even if he's lying, Like, I think that would probably be the best, the best case scenario.
Speaker 2: But I need to go to the Vikings. He told his father, that's a quote from this book. Let's do it.
Speaker 3: His father replied, But both Caleb and Carl knew that a trade to a divisional rival was extremely unlikely. Bears GM Ryan Pols stood firm, telling Williams, we're drafting you no matter what. That left one opinion to publicly attack the Bears and the city of Chicago, hoping that it would make the situation untenable, similar to what happened with Jack and John Elway when they did it in nineteen eighty three with the Baltimore Colts. Here's another quote. He's worried about me taking bullets. Carl Williams told Wickersham of his son, I don't care, don't. I just don't agree with this bleep. You know, I'm more interested in making sure that he can do whatever he wants to do.
Speaker 2: End quote.
Speaker 3: But Caleb was concerned that if they did try and the Bears refuse to trade him, it would make a tough situation worse and the n kayle Williams told Wickersham, I wasn't ready to nuke the city. So it sounds like he had a little bit more awareness of what could potentially happen if they fight this really hard, whereas his dad was like, you know, no, we need to get you to a different franchise.
Speaker 2: They're in your division. You're a Vikings fan.
Speaker 3: It's I would ask you, would you rather have kayleb Williams or McCarthy, But like that's impossible to answer, right, Like you just don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean still take McCarthy. Yeah, but with the bar like give me the champion, put your rivalry within the division, feelings to the side, if possible, Like, am I wrong? Did you?
Speaker 3: Like again, he didn't have a whole lot to work with. They're a mess in general offensively, but like I didn't think I never.
Speaker 2: Felt like he was as good as everybody.
Speaker 3: He's not saying, I'm not saying he's terrible, and clearly what do I know about evaluating quarterbacks in the NFL, But like to me, he was somebody that I just never really thought was quite as special as advertised.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's I mean, I will say for the benefit like his there was a terrible situation for him to fall into. Matt Eberflus was a bozo and the offensive coordinator, I know, does it sound like a Doctor Seuss character iber.
Speaker 2: Fluse and then there absolutely does.
Speaker 4: Their offensive coordinator was a joke that had a bad offensive line, not a great defense. And he's like, I knew it was going to be like this anyways coming into last year because and the time that I've watched football, especially time that I've been a Vikings fan and Bears hater, that they've never produced quarterbacks. They've never produced like a top ten offense, at least in such a long long time, and I don't think that was changing now with Caleb Williams. And then they were already like he was gonna be in a fail situation anyways because his the uber flues, his head coach who they were almost going to fire last year anyways, Like if he had a bad start, then he's out now, right, Yeah, yeah, he's gone now. So I just knew it wasn't gonna be like a stable situation coming in just because everybody else is already on the hot seat. Everyone around him, it seems like, and just he's I don't think that he's all that great. You know, It's like I said, it's just a rookie year. So yeah, you see, you know his numbers last year. I mean, they're they're fine, but I mean their offense overall was one of the worst in the league.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 4: Everyone just thinks that adding Ben Johnson and with Caleb Williams is going to double their win total. They've only won four last year, so I mean, I guess anything better is going to make them look good. But I don't think they're an eight win team just because they go get one of they go get Dan Campbell's ear whisper, you know what I'm saying. So, I don't know, I've been starting to hate the Bears recently.
Speaker 3: You hear that, guys, we got my man travel chief talking ball talking the Shield NFL. So I mean that their offense really was like abysmal, and he wasn't responsible for that. It's just for me, I guess more than anything. It's just that because of everything that came with his hype, and maybe it's because of his personality with like the painted fingernails and just the you know, just he's he's a rare.
Speaker 4: He seems like when he got drafted, you're not going to be doing that a lot this year. I think that they didn't, indeed, fat do that a lot.
Speaker 3: That's like our guy Max Strews, who if you don't feel like, if you don't you don't believe we can get this done, don't.
Speaker 2: Show up for work.
Speaker 3: Guy goes over nine. The Jeff Teague podcast had a lot of fun with that, which I thought was really funny. Check So anyways, this is a random stat that I guess will make you know, will make me feel somewhat wrong about him. This is really random stab, but hey, you know what I'm using chat GBT. Williams achieved the streak of three hundred and fifty four consecutive pass attempts without an interception, the longest by a rookie in NFL history and the fourth longest overall so there you go, take that and do whatever you want with it. But when it comes to the awkwardness in Chicago, if this, if this does make Bears fans feel a certain way about him, would I would ask them to realize that you probably say a lot worse about your franchise than even he did, because you're like, that's one of those things where it's like, you know, we can criticize the organization as fans, but you know, if we got ungrateful players doing it, then I'll get him the hell out of here. That's just you know, that's the entitlement that sports fans have these days, and you know, I kind of get it because this is there's no way to say this without it's sounding ridiculous, but fans are just fans, right, They customers, They buy tickets, they support and all that's needed. But you know, they have no real control. However, they're going to be around longer than the GM, They're gonna be around longer than any coach, any player, so like they're not in any way a factor in the success or failure. But that's how you do end up feeling a level of like, you know, entitlement, because again, you you know you're not as important as as an individual as you know, your quarterback or your GM or whatever. But like nobody could question if you love it as much as they do because to them it's a job. To you, it's you know, probably an escape from reality. Quick break, keep it locked right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 3: That's right, it is coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Make sure you sign up to become a member of the Refreshing Awards program if you haven't already. You'll save money at the pomp every time, and in fact, once a week you can get twenty five cents off per gallon, which I.
Speaker 2: Mean that that that that adds up.
Speaker 3: That's certainly that alone is incentive enough to sign up if you haven't already. So go to Refreshment Awards dot com or I download the app on your Android, your iPhone and you'll be happy that you did. At least I think you will. If not, I think that'd be a you know, a you problem.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: So Pat Kelsey turns fifty years old today and I mentioned that I was surprised to know that he was that old. I wouldn't have guessed that he was substantially younger than that, but you know, forty six, forty seven would have been my would have been my guess if you told me his here's his birthday, how old is he? And I got some feedback on the text line as far as some said they were also surprised he was that old. Somebody said they were surprised he's not older. So I don't really know if I'm just you know, gassing up my guy Pat Kelsey as if he's going to always just be this young stallion because you know, I'm such a fan. But I found other celebrities that are also either fifty this year or about to be fifty this year, So I guess, you know, technically, these these folks would most likely be like in the same grade as Pat Kelsey and I I don't I think from my end, I'm more so thinking, okay, yeah, that checks out that he'd be fifty, because if you told me these two were the same age, I wouldn't challenge you at all. We'll start with this guy, Leonardo DiCaprio. Okay, would you guess that he and Pat are the same age, or would you guess ones older?
Speaker 4: I would think that Leo would be older, more.
Speaker 3: So based off of his his lengthy career.
Speaker 4: It's just been around since he was so young.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, because that because visually, yeahty check, fifties checks out. But like I would also believe he's closer to sixty because as you, you know, I think what you were alluding to, he's just been in the public eye as a celebrity for way, you know, for the vast majority of his life. What about Jimmy Fallon.
Speaker 4: Kinda kind of the same thing.
Speaker 3: Yep, Yeah, but I would have guessed Jimmy Fallon was a little bit older, not much, but just a little bit.
Speaker 4: Bradley Cooper, Wow, See, I thought Bradley Cooper would be somewhere around like forty three, forty four. I thought he'd be way younger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm with you.
Speaker 3: But as I'm looking at these individuals, I realize, one, they're famous, and they you know, are good looking. Therefore they have the ability to have a wide range where I mean, there aren't many that I would look at and say, damn, that guy's thirty five. He looks sixty. You know what I mean, because more often than not it'd be the other way around. You know, your fame and just your good genes. I guess probably one of the real Like most celebrities, not all, but most celebrities, a lot of them are beautiful people, so you know, they might be able to get away with looking a lot younger than they actually are.
Speaker 2: Now, do you know who Pedro Pascal is?
Speaker 4: Yes, that's the uh, that's the guy from Last of Us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's He's in a lot of things, Thrones too. Yeah, I think of him more so. As for me, it's Narcos. That's what I think of. But he's in a lot of other things as well.
Speaker 2: It's not as much. His name isn't as big as the others. But if you looked a.
Speaker 3: Bet, if you don't know that name and you googled him, you would recognize him from one of the things we mentioned, I would have.
Speaker 2: Guessed he was older.
Speaker 4: I would have guessed he was younger than.
Speaker 3: Okay, I guess ark I think because Narcos took place like in an older time. Oh sure, that made me just assume that he was older, I guess. And that's really pect. What about Nelly, Okay, I could, I could.
Speaker 4: I don't know. Hearing then Nelly's fifty is kind of crazy.
Speaker 2: Yes, because you would just assume he's younger, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, just only like I only assumed he was only like, I don't know, maybe ten years older than I.
Speaker 2: Was and Nelly.
Speaker 3: So Nelly had to be I don't know, I was gonna say Nelly had to be older when he became like famous, but not really. I mean he when he kind of burst on the scene as a as a notable artist, and then of course he had a phenomenal run in music, and I'm sure he's still active to some extent. But his first album that you know was was a big deal Country Grammar. It came out in two thousand. That was twenty five years ago, so he was twenty five, which again that checks out.
Speaker 2: It's just crazy that that was that that was that.
Speaker 4: Long five when Yeah came out. Wow, I did not know that.
Speaker 3: Well, the internet wasn't then what it is now, So I think the Internet can now lead to I would imagine a lot of the I think it's rare for somebody to emerge in music, especially in the hip hop genre, emerge like late twenties and like have a big break, if that makes sense, because nowadays it's usually younger people via the Internet that really gas up and make these artists such big names. I would have not had any clue about this person's age, will I am.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, that's uh.
Speaker 3: You could have told me anything, and I probably would have just said, okay, yeah whatever, like, yeah, he seems old. Yeah, he's from uh, and he's looked the same for ever, he's from what's the what's the band? Black Eyed Peace, black Eyed Peas or what about Ryan Seacrest. I would have guess older because he's been around forever and he's looked the same.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he looks relatively young, but I know he's been around a while, so I would have I still don't know if I would have said fifty for Ryan.
Speaker 3: Seacrest Steve O, I would have said younger, Yeah, younger. He actually looks like he's got some miles on him, because you know, he nearly died many times on on television making a TV show for us to all, you know, be entertained by. But he's fifty, wow, and then.
Speaker 4: Uh still like married Delana del Rey, Steve O, Yeah from Jackass, I didn't even know that he was. I think he was like he was dating her, married to her or something.
Speaker 2: Shout out to him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's see another one, uh, Joaquin Phoenix.
Speaker 2: I would have guessed fifty.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would have guessed around fifty. He's been around a while.
Speaker 2: And there's some others that like Derek Jeter. Yeah, I think Derek Jeter and Pat Kelsey look exactly the same. Acheck. Just looking at this picture of Derek Jeter.
Speaker 4: Wow, still fifty years old for Derek Jeters. A lot of playing a long time.
Speaker 2: A lot of celebrities are turning like fifty this year. Like I bet anymore.
Speaker 3: I bet if you do this every I bet if you look at like forty nine, there'll be a bunch because again, like there's a lot of people born every year. But Rob Deerdrich or Diedrick how you said, yeah, he's fifty, which I only know of that I would Yeah, dear Dick, I would have guessed older. But not because of looks or because of how long he was around, but because like it became a joke. You know, people were clowning him about how he really catered to an insanely young audience as if he was kind of one of them, right, but at the time he was really he was older. Like there's an SNL skit where I can't think of who it is because I mean, he kind of I wouldn't say he looks like him, but like there's no SNL character that I can think of that visually. Was was better to make fun of of Rob Deerdrich That is, I keep getting it wrong, dear Dick. Yeah, but yeah, they made fun of ridiculous ridiculousness on SNL many years ago. And the I wouldn't even know his name if you said it. But the SNL actor who who I mean? Part of it is, well, let me see if I let me see if I can pull this up here because it's actually I mean they made right out of the gate. He makes a joke about about the you know, the age thing, and you know, like you wouldn't have thought about it because who would, but like how much older he was than like Chanelle West Coast when they were doing that, like you would have you know, you probably would have assumed that he was older.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but uh, ridiculousness. The visual does a lot, But.
Speaker 5: What is what is welcome to ridiculousness. I'm Rob Deerdak and you wouldn't know it from my clothes, but I'm almost fifty. Y'all joining me as always Stee low Brim and Chanel with cool.
Speaker 2: I'm already laughing.
Speaker 3: They were that was a really good That was a really it was really good at making fun of what that was. And Chanel West Coast is like the worst, I mean definition of cringe. But yeah, he he's he's older and to his credit though, he has completely removed himself from the spotlight in every way.
Speaker 2: And you know, he had a good run.
Speaker 4: He was a big part of my like early childhood because I loved Robin Big. Yeah, Oh, Robin Big was great favorite shows. And then uh the U the one after that, I forget what it was called, the.
Speaker 3: Where it's yes, uh, fantasy Factory, Fantasy Factory. Yeah, he had a he had a great run. And you know there was a's a it's it's a it's a it's a nerdy it's a nerdy thing. But he has made so much money from MTV because all his shows, it was it was so cheap to produce to where he agreed to do it. But like they were like, oh, yeah, we don't have to pay a lot to produce it, and he doesn't want that much to be paid per episode. He just wants two things. He wants royalties and he also wants the ability to use the show to promote all of his brands. All of his brands blew up on those shows and he I mean, think about how many times that show is played on MTV every day. So I think he's made more money from MTV than anybody else and it's not even close. And that sounds kind of crazy off top, but like if you think about it, like it really isn't that crazy. One more celebrity that I feel like people would know that it is also celebrating the fiftieth birthday this year Dax Shephard.
Speaker 2: I would have believed he was a little bit.
Speaker 4: Older, but I can't stand that yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's, uh, you know how he got his start now, so do you remember your life?
Speaker 2: You're a little young for this.
Speaker 3: But this show was such a big deal because it was nothing like it at the time, and it was you know, it was it was raw and real punked with Ashton Kutcher.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so Rob, but Dak Shephard.
Speaker 3: Was was oftentimes the actor that wasn't famous that would be pranking all of the celebrities where he so like he could like keep a straight face and they didn't know who he was to where like they would not they wouldn't have a clue that they were being pranked because he just seems so believable because he was a good actor. Okay, yeah, I don't love him, but he was actually I liked him without a paddle.
Speaker 2: I like that movie more than anything. Uh. And then Employee the Month was I don't know he was annoying in that. Yeah, Employee of the Month is that?
Speaker 4: Uh that's Dane Cook.
Speaker 2: Yes, they were both annoying, right.
Speaker 4: Like I liked Dane Cook. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 2: Jessica Simpson isn't that too? Yeah? No, was it? I think so?
Speaker 4: Yeah it might have been.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Employee the Month was Dax Shepherd, Dane Cook and Jessica Simpson.
Speaker 4: Okay, and see the Cook wasn't terrible.
Speaker 2: He remember Dak Shepherd was the guy was like the boss.
Speaker 3: Yes, he was the annoying and ninety one Honda, how dare you remember that line?
Speaker 4: That's why I can't stand him is just because of that and he's got a hot wife. And if he does at Christon bells hot if you would have told me he was fifty, because he looks nothing like he did in that movie, Like he's he's actually buff. Now, oh it looks great. Yeah, he looks a little bit older. So I want to have been chocked.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's got to keep up his appearance. He's married to Kristen Bell, Like, come on, you got to you gotta you gotta keep up with your appearance. Randomly, I'm gonna mention this and now we gotta get a break.
Speaker 2: There was a there was a movie, a.
Speaker 3: Remake of Chips that came out in twenty seventeen that had Dak Sheppard and Michael Penia, who's probably not a big name, but like you've probably seen him in a ton of stuff, he's been in a lot of That was a stupid funny movie, if that makes sense. Like expectations were low. It wasn't like cinematic gold, but it had a lot of funny stuff in it. So yeah, all right, quick break, We'll come back on the other side. Keep it rolling along.
Speaker 2: It's coffee and company. Feel about Thornton's right here. On Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: So we've got.
Speaker 3: We've got some NBA playoff actions and I just one game as the Thunder will look to put an end of the series against the Nuggets. I believe this one is back in Denver as a Thunder have a three two lead, and then of course, if Denver can get pass tonight, they'll get a chance to to close it out. At Okay, see easier Seve than done. Excuse me, easier said than done. That's been a really entertaining series, at least recently, and I would expect you'll see you'll see the same tonight. I mean, Denver, they're one of the best teams in the NBA. They've got I think the best player on the planet, one of the best players in my lifetime in Jokic, and then when you throw in the other pieces that are really good players like I think clearly these guys benefit from playing alongside somebody like Jokich. She's just so good at everything. I mean, a phenomenal passer. I mean, he's he's insane, But at any moment, I feel like Michael Porter Junior and you know Gordon, those guys can can really not necessarily take over a game, but like you've got to account for them as well. And then I have to mention Jamal Murray, who's been good for a long time, long time. And then I don't even know what its numbers are, but like the fact that Russell Westbrook is, you know, the fifth best player on that team, like that that speaks to how loaded they are. So I know, okayc has been great all year and and uh, their home court advantage which they've had, I mean, they don't have it tonight, but the scene in OKCU has been insane. And I will say Oklahoma City, they.
Speaker 2: They're friend there.
Speaker 3: It's the one an NBA team that I have oftentimes really been envia sub because as far as market size, like how much is Okay I mean is Oklahoma City? As far as like market and population, like where do they rank to Louisville? Because to me, they're the They're the city that I feel like has an NBA team that is most similar to us, maybe outside of port maybe outside of Portland.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm thinking too, because it's not not a big city, but like it's still Oklahoma City. Yeah that makes sense.
Speaker 2: No, I know what you mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, and they don't have any other pro team outside of the outside of the Thunder And look, Tomming was huge for them because weren't they the team that was initially like I get confused, the Charlotte Bobcats. I think the Charlotte Bobcats ended up becoming the Thunder.
Speaker 2: No, and then.
Speaker 3: A team that left Charlotte and then came back then went from being the I don't know, I'm the SuperSonics, right, Yes, I'm sorry, that's who it was, thank you. But what was the Bobcat Hornets thing? Because like Charlotte lost the Hornets and then there was the Bobcats. I don't know New Orleans what was It's gonna drive me crazy because if you remember, I.
Speaker 4: Do remember the Charlotte Bobcats.
Speaker 2: And who was in the who was in?
Speaker 3: Was there an Orleans team that got moved because of the Hurricane Katrina? It was because they they weren't they weren't the Pelicans. I think the original horne Yeah, that's what happened. The Hornets left Charlotte, I believe. For New Orleans. I'm gonna have to look this up and I'm I'm clearly I'm getting it wrong. I'm so confused just thinking about it in my head.
Speaker 4: But either way, they left for New Orleans just because that's that's a team that.
Speaker 2: Chris Paul was on, right, yeah, okay see and j R.
Speaker 3: Smith was on that team too, Okay see ended up just you know, taking over one of the one of the teams. And they've done They've been phenomenal with it. I mean, keep in mind, like they're small market. They were super successful and then Kadi just decided to be lame and blow it all up because he wanted to go, you know, be a sidekick in Golden State and play for the team that you know, beat him in the finals. And then they had to start all over. And here they are. They've drafted really well with SGA, Chad Holmgren, I mean, even Jalen Williams. I mean they're they're yeah, I mean they're they've done it the right way and like, to me, they are the perfect example of a small market team that is that is tested because you know, you've got these players that are like nobody wants to go play and okay, see I shouldn't say nobody, but like these guys will end a like for example, right now, I mean, the MVP is gonna be Shay and I don't know what his contract is. I think all accounts, he seems like he's gonna he's gonna stay there. But when you look at the other guys that are eventually gonna be you know, up. But you can't give everybody a Supermax and you know, when you like, it's almost like when you build a team organically so well, like they have here with this current team that they have, I mean, it just be you know, because you just have to know you're not gonna be able to keep everybody just because it's just not it's not it's not feasible. It's that damn storage thing again. It must go off at like five o'clock every every day.
Speaker 4: Wow, yeah, right on time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, SGA is their franchise player. But you know, Jalen Williams has been really good for them, that's it. And that's a guy who they drafted at as Santa Clay that nobody knew who it was, who he was, you know, Cheded Holmgren, that was an obvious pick, and he's now finally blossoming into being a really good player, averaging fifteen.
Speaker 2: And and and and.
Speaker 3: Ten on the year they did. They've done, They've done well in trades and free agency. I mean good, good role players like Hartenstein, Alex Caruso, as you mentioned, lou Dort. So you know they're they're really good. But to me, they're the team that any given night, yeah, I wouldn't be shocked if it's a if it's a thirty two team bracket and you got to go one by one instead of going you know, multiple game series, yeah, they could win and it wouldn't shock me. I just feel like they're the example that I've often referenced that there's a there's a vast difference in the NBA and being able to put together a really good record in eighty two games where you're just playing different teams night in and night out. But once you get into a seven game grind, you know, it becomes a little bit you know, when everybody gets comfortable with the opponent, that's a tougher task. And I think Denver really not a great example because Denver's Denver, like they've got Jokich. At any point you could lose to Denver, Like, Okay, we were great, but man, what are we gonna do about this guy? But yeah, this series has been really entertaining. I'm not really sure who I want to win. To be honest with you, I kind of like the thought of the Thunder doing it. But then again, I find myself at times watching Yokish and thinking I don't want this guy to go home because I want to keep watching him play.
Speaker 2: He's that special.
Speaker 4: I think if the Nuggets win, I think they're probably going to go and to win the championship. I think if if the Thunder win, then I really I really like Minnesota.
Speaker 3: Are you at any point like Boston can't do this right? Like they won last night? Good for them, But there's I'm with you. But there's something about the Knicks being front runners and always getting ahead of themselves, like they feel like they've already won this series.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 3: And also Jalen Brown is I think it's there's no way to say this without Jason Tatum is one of the most talented players on the planet. He is a a one tier one superstar. But Jalen Brown is also really good and he's maybe the best two way player in the league. So like he he's now elevated to take on a bigger role, and who's going to be shocked if he rises to the occasion. I mean I wouldn't be, and this is nobody's fault. But when Tatum's not on the floor, others are just more comfortable because a lot of things, understandably so run through him because he's chasing Tatum. But like you know, sometimes guys get hurt and clearly you're not at full strength, you're not your potential's not there. But others can get better because they're put in a different role, and you know.
Speaker 2: It can work out.
Speaker 3: So I'm hoping a lot of these series just continue, because hey, if a series is going deep into the seven games, then that means it's competitive as far as game in and game out. And we've had that before, but now it actually feels like more often this playoffs, we're getting good games, and that's what I've really really loved. All Right, way too late for a break, My apologies.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. I'll maybe one day do better.