Speaker 1: Good evening, everybody, and welcome to another episode of fun Up. I hope you're all fired up. If not for our show, maybe you're watching Four Nations, but I hope you're checking us out. I have a wonderful crew with me tonight. I will start to next to me, mister Pensman, how are you tonight? I'm doing good, doing good, doing good. And then below Pensman is mister Ralph Williams. How are you, Ralph?
Speaker 2: I'm good, Candy, thank you. And I can't watch the game tonight because my remote control for my TV is broken.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I can change.
Speaker 2: The channel, but I have it on NBC and I can watch my Law and Order night here a little bit, So.
Speaker 1: There you go, There you go.
Speaker 4: And then none other than the man that has been in the business the longest of our panel here, mister George I Corn, how.
Speaker 3: Are you you? For that grand introduction? Good to be on with my friends, Candy, Ralph and Pensman. Yeah, and I.
Speaker 1: Have not heard Andrew an updated at all.
Speaker 2: I don't know, so neither do I.
Speaker 5: Oh can I time in? Yeah as much as I. If you go back two weeks, he said that he's going to start a new channel. I don't know what it's cold, but he said at the end he's going to cover Detroit Tigers channel. I don't know where it is, but he's gonna do all Detroit Tigers and Detroit Lions. So I don't know when it's going to start, but that's what I figured out. But I don't know his channel name. I don't know what's going on, so I don't know what's going on with the channel he has now. So that's all I know. If you go back to his old channel, at the end, he talks about the Tigers, broadcasting the Tigers and covering the Tigers since baseball season. So that's all I know about about Jeremy.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, Well, the title Four Nations. If you're not watching it right now, it's on an intermission. One to one shots on goal Canada eleven, USA ten, both of them, like I said, scores one to one. Very evenly matched game, and I think we all expected that that it was going to be a very close game. A lot of stars, a lot of star power. In fact, if you listen to the sports exchange that preceded this show, we all talked about it, how and some of us came down, it's gonna be on the goalie. Whichever goalie has the better game is the one that's gonna win. Because there's so much there's so much pride that both teams are playing for, there's so much extra motivation. The one thing I will say is kudos to the NHL because they got this right, and I think I don't think there's anybody that disagrees with that.
Speaker 5: Oh they did not at all. They exceeded beyond.
Speaker 3: It'll be really interesting.
Speaker 1: It'll be interesting, Hello, Jay, It'll be interesting to see what viewership is tonight because, let's face it, on Saturday night, when technically it was instead of the NHL All Star Game, they played Canada and US played in the round robin ten point one million, compared to the NBA All Star Game, which played on Sunday, which was at four point eight or four point seven million. So hockey blue NBA way. And if you think about it, you always thought three major sports, football, baseball, and basketball. Hockey was always number four, but yet look at the all what they did with their All Star Game. Kudos to them because the NBA has not yet figured it out and they're not even close. Like no one plays defense, especially in the in the All Star Game. They need to change that up. They get to figure figure it out or they're gonna be left in the dust, which, to be honest with you, I don't really care because I'm not a huge NBA fan anyways. But so four nations really cool. I will say that next year they won't have four nations unfortunately, but that's because we're gonna have the Olympics during this time, So we will have the Olympics next year instead. But your guys' thoughts about the round robin four nations obviously viewership up. I did not hear because I was on the other show. I don't know if any of you want to commanders say, was how was the opening? How was the Canadian anthem and the USA anthem? I know what I have to say. The one thing, the one thing of all of it that has disappointed me. And I get there's a lot of pride, there's a lot of things going on between USA and Canada right now politically, but I was disappointed that they do and I get it that was their one point, one place that they could make a stance, that they could have a voice. But to boo our national anthem when they were told not to. That kind of saddened me. But otherwise this tournament has been great. I really liked everything, Pensman, your thoughts.
Speaker 5: I've been covering since game one of my YouTube channel, have been covering videos, shorts, all kinds of stuff on my YouTube channel, and I watched every game and I can tell you, Candy that the national anthem was a lot better tonight than it was there. There was no billing at all, just there because the announcer says, please be respectful. So they've been saying that ever since Saturday. So the opening was awesome. It's just how it always was. The national anthem was quiet, everybody was quiet. They were singing the national anthem, but that's normal. But I'd liked I like this, and I'm hoping they do this more, and I'm hoping they have eight teams in STEAF four.
Speaker 1: So the only thing I will say about that Pensman and Jay says that too, is you got to be careful because how much of a break then are you going to have in between, because to play around Robin with eight teams is a lot of hockey for what is considered their downtime, you know, that's the only thing I would say about that. I think it would be cool to expand it. But I also know that if one player gets injured, the team that they go back to is going to be disappointed. And that happens in all of them.
Speaker 5: But are you read by mind? Because there's a USA player that has a broken shoulder and he's in a sling. I forget what his name is, and he was in a locker room, and you just talked about in your players, and that's perfect timing.
Speaker 1: So okay, mister rolf here thoughts about four nations.
Speaker 2: Well, I like the format. Uh. And I know you guys talked about the Gary bettman.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know for all the years he's been a commissioner of the NHL.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Because I was tuning into the show prior, and I know you guys were talking about that, and I got to say, you know, he's he's come up with a couple of things now that have put the NHL above the NBA, because the NBA, to me, is nothing but a bunch of show boats. Okay, it's not about playing the game. It's about showing off. And I and and and I'm sorry that I'm insulting you know, uh u NBA fans out there, But that's just the way it is. I stopped following the NBA since Michael Jordan left. I haven't And the only time I keep track of the NBA is when I'm looking at pitt Pants their players to see where where they're at. Other than that, I don't get involved in the NBA. I could care less because it's not the fact that it's not in Pittsburgh. But I will tell you this much, the w NBA will start really getting it's getting hot, and it's gonna get hotter this year coming up, and it's going to be the thing it's going to take the NBA out. Believe me, it is. Women's sports are very heavy duty right now. I think Candy will agree with me on that, and everyone else on this panel and everyone else out there, you know, World Cup soccer and you know and everything else. So I mean, it's really getting better and better for women's sports all across the country. They're they're they even are in professional hockey. The women have their own professional hockey teams. Pittsburgh's getting one next year, So I mean, you know, here we are. You know, women's sports are really taking over in the NBA better be careful. They better figure something out because if they don't, soon they're gonna be a redheaded step child in the sport industry.
Speaker 3: Okay, George, alright, you choke me up, Ralph red headed stepchild? And that one I haven't heard in a while, Well.
Speaker 2: That's what Mike Langs thing, because Mike Lang used to say Sidney Crosby robbed him like a red headed stepchild.
Speaker 3: Okay, and we'll talk about him and the great loss you guys are suffering through. But no, I think it's a good thing. And I do agree with you. I mean, you know, I sit back and I say, where the hell's Russia? I mean, I know we have problems with Russia. Everybody does. But the fact of the matter is is you can't just pick out four teams and keep it that way. I know what you said, Candy, and I do agree. How much time are you going to give these guys because we we open up to eight, then we got another two weeks we got to add on. Well that's not gonna work. So the Olympics is something that's a little bit different because there's a break, but it's at a different time. And U they're they're spread out more. I don't necessarily like the Olympic format better than for nations, but I do think that you've got to have some countries in there that we're not represented, especially Russia and what we call the Czech Bloc countries. Yes, you know what I mean. And but the thing is is, hey, I'm not going to be overly critical. Why should I be. I'm a hockey fan, and it's great hockey, and they're playing well, and you know it's it's it's great entertainment. So the nah, kudos to the NBA, Like I mean, oh what, oh that was a swept? The kudos to the NHL, NBA, Yeah, you can have them for a little bit. I'm not I'm not thrilled about their product at all.
Speaker 1: Well, and what really upset me about the NBA, And I'm not a huge NBA fan by any stretch of the imagination. And I'm not gonna say I am not a huge fan of Lebron. Lebron has had a long career, but what he did to the Ulcer game really upset me. Here, you knew you had an injury going in how long ahead of time, and all of a sudden you pull out too late that they can't even substitute you someone for you that as as a spokesperson for the league, as a role model, as somebody that you know, kids look up to. Everybody's like, oh, I want to have a game like Lebron or play you.
Speaker 2: Know, Yeah, I'm.
Speaker 1: Sorry, you need to do You should have done better. You did not do well there.
Speaker 5: And plus plus Lebron missed twice the game winning tying game Lastnek twice. If you're gonna be a goat, you have to finish the game out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what you know, petsman, I agree with you on that in a perspective. And we've seen this in every sport. You know, you get guys like Lebron, and you get these players, uh you know, we see it with the steel some of the star players and stuff like that that lay an egg in an All Star Game, or laying egg in the in the in the in the playoffs, you know, in the Super Bowl. They have a great regular season. Lebron is one of those kind of guys who just simply, you know, might be good in the regular season and then goes into the All Star Game and miss the shots and he's sick and he can't play or whatever. You know, he's one of the last people that really that represented the NBA, and I'm very disappointed, like Candy said, and what he did.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 5: And he was at the All Star Game laughing. If you're hurt, you're hurt. If you hurt, your whole body's momentum. I have a broken shoulder and I'm not the same. But if he has a sore ankle and he's over there, I look at this.
Speaker 3: Come on, yeah, yeah, I agree. You know the thing that Candy mentioned. You know, come on, you knew about your injury. You knew you weren't cobblely gonna be out there, but you waited till the very last second or or maybe this is what happened too. Yeah, the commissioner Silver said something to him or one of the other coaches that said, co mine, these people pay big bucks here and go in San Francisco to see you. You can't just stay. Oh, appreciate it, right, And so probably I can see that scenario playing out too. Hey wait a minute, Lebron, you cannot just not show get there for some of it. Well, he didn't even dress up, I mean, get even suit up. So it was a big joke. But I mean, granted, he's put in his time, he's forty years old now, but let's stop voting him to the All Star team.
Speaker 2: Then.
Speaker 3: Okay, if you just want to participate.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm really, seriously, really, Jay, you got it. I am gonna switch because the toys of summer are back baseball. But I'm not going to talk about that. What I'm talking about is MLB is going to test the automated ball Strike Challenge system during spring training games.
Speaker 5: This was this strangel.
Speaker 1: And am i lb LB last year in minor league, where calls challenged by players were overturned fifty one percent of the time. I want your thoughts on it now here, I'm gonna give you a little more. Automated ball strike system will be tested in spring training. Each team will start with two challenges and they will only lose their challenge if the umpire's call is confirmed. Only the batter, pitcher, or catcher can challenge a call. The player will tip their cap helmet to the umpire to signal that they want to challenge. There will be no additional challenges in extra innings, and hawk eye view will be shown during the review. So I want your thoughts what you think about the system and them trying it out in spring training, and I'm I'm gonna start with.
Speaker 2: Ralph Strike what I could just hear this this this automated system or whatever. Oh you can't challenge you know, or whatever. Oh my gosh. You know, what's the fun part of the game, everybody is the fact that the managers come out and argue. That is the greatest thing in the world. And it's so hilarious the way they come out and argue with the umpire. We're gonna miss that with this, you know what I mean. I mean, I think it's it's to stop that. It's it's another thing that makes the game entertaining that you're taking away. I love it when the managers get out there and get hot and start arguing. You know, I remember the days of Jim Leland, Oh my gosh, I mean, you know, and some of the other managers that used to Billy Martin and all of them that used to get out there and just really argue Lesorta. Oh my gosh, it was crazy. But now you know, now you want to Now you've been injected, you know, So there we are robot City or whatever automated system.
Speaker 1: And yes, Ji, there was already the Cubs win the first ABS challenge getting a ball turned to strike on Dodgers Muncy and unfortunately we were talking a little bit about this earlier. Dodgers were not about this particular, but we were talking about concussions. Dodgers Miller is in concussion protocol after taking one hundred and six mile per an hour liner off his head. So, George, your thoughts about the new system.
Speaker 3: I've had great respect for the umpires, and I know they're not right one hundred percent of the time. They're very colorful then maybe not as colorful as they used to be, obviously, but you know they have a role in the game, and I'm just I'm not ready for this, Okay, I'm not ready for a computer or a laser or a screen, a robot, whatever you want to call this guy or gay, well that's going to be calling balls and strikes. I do know this though, Manfred has got his damn mind set on this. Does at Hey, folks, he's not going back. He's not going back.
Speaker 2: We know that.
Speaker 3: So the question would be does he have the support of all the other owners. I don't know how that how they handle that as far as the uh, the the experimentation, but I do know that Manfred's got his head, you know sometimes in the sand. So okay, start trying it, let's see and if it's no good, then just forget it in the spring, right.
Speaker 5: Pensman, I agree with George, it's spring training. Spring training is to see what the guys do. The starters don't really play that much. It's really like Mark Stroman is starting for tomorrow for the Yankees instead Garrett Cole, So why not just give it a try. Tried the kickoff returns in the preseason. I guess. I guess the viewership of them. They like the preseason, the new kickoff during preseason, so it might be good because if anybody that's a Phillies fan, I'm not. But it was all over ESPN. Kyle Schwarmer. He was like this, this, this, that, and he was over there arguing on angel Hornandez that was a strike, that was a ball, that was a strike? He called that. He was over there going like this time after time. So maybe the batters will be less hot headed and maybe maybe that will work good. I don't know, we'll see.
Speaker 1: I think the other thing that it might do and it might speed up the game some too, because if there won't be the arm the arguments, the manager's argument the player, then if he decides he wants to challenge, he can't argue after the fact he's challenge. There's gonna it's gonna be a definitive call and boom, You're stuck with it. You can't go back and forth. You can't you know, you can't have an umpire making up a new call on either, like, uh, is it robot ball? No, Let's face it. Technology is changing everything in our world, and it has already. I mean, look at we have electric cars. Now we have and I hate to say this, but you all go back to even the microwave. I remember growing up without a microwave, so and I know that's aging me, but I'm just saying technology has progressed. There are things that are good with technology, and then there are things that are maybe not so good. I think it'll be interesting to see how it goes in spring training. I'm glad they're at least testing the waters, but let's face it, it was in minor league ball last year and they used it all year and I don't think they. I don't think they would test it out in the majors if they didn't think it worked well in the minors, because I think they would scrap it and say wait, wait, yes, jay, I before the microwave, I remember taking microwave cooking lessons when they first came out, because it's like, oh, you can cook in this thing. Wait what?
Speaker 2: I remember when they were as big as a TV.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 2: I had my wife and I we had a microwave that was one of those sanyos. They don't even make those anymore. And then and then it finally went kaboom, and ours now is about this big. Now you know, it's not even anywhere near as big as it was once was. That's the same stuff, you know.
Speaker 1: One thing I will say Ralph about that too, is we had an old one and we had one of those. It was big. It was one thousand and one though. It was a really nice one. They don't make things like they originally did. When they make things, because I would think a lot more things. We're a lot more wasteful these days. And they don't make products. They don't like make refrigerators, TVs anything like they used to. And maybe some of that's good because, let's face it, who wants to watch a sporting event on a twelve inch fifteen inch? You know, we're going out, We're buying the sixty fives, the seventy two's inch screens. You know these days.
Speaker 2: I'll give you a quick example I used to use when I DJ. I used to use huge speakers. Now my speakers are about eight inches and they're small. And get this, they pump out double with the big ones pumped out and they're less bulky. And when I show up at gigs with these things, they go, oh, come on, small speakers aren't going to work in here. I said, oh, way, do you see what kind of power they pump out? It's you, It's what they pump out in power. Okay, So there's a classic example of what you were saying, Candy, is they make things smaller but they're still powerful. You know, my microwave might be smaller, but it's it's just as powerful as the older one was.
Speaker 3: You.
Speaker 1: I would challenge all of you that, I bet you the camera on your cell phones is better than the camera years ago. Yes, yes, no, it's amazing what they're coming out with now. So yeah, but I'm excited to see some of these changes. Obviously some people don't like it, some people do.
Speaker 5: But I'm gonna I'm gonna say one more thing. I'm gonna miss one Soto going like this and looking at the umpires. There's no umpire so noo.
Speaker 2: No. You know what's interesting though, it's gonna it's gonna challenge the umpires. It really is. It's gonna make them better because when there's a challenge like that.
Speaker 6: It'll make them better, it should, hope. So yeah, yeah, And I don't think it's a coincidence. A lot of the veteran umpires are retiring.
Speaker 3: Just just yesterday I found out Paul Emil, Larry Vanover, and Jerry Lane have thrown in the towel. So there you got guys with thirty thirty five years experience and they don't want any part of this crap. So baseball's not the the part of the expression, but baseball's to the plain vanilla type of umpires. We don't see colorful umpires anymore, like Ron lu Seattle, emmittt Ashford and and.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna miss yeah.
Speaker 3: So I think what's happening too is that you know you're using you're trying this out, but I think he's probably got pascid support from the Umpire's Union tascid.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, yes, yes, I love all the comments. Jay, I you know there was a time there I missed you. I hope, I hope your little one is doing really well and the family is doing well.
Speaker 2: I want to put a shot out to Christopher Cole. He watches my stuff and yeah, and he he watches my stuff when I'm on, and he watches when I'm on with Peter down in Tampa.
Speaker 1: With the Andrew and j D. Wyatt was on our show last night. So sixteen pounds, whoa little one's not so little anymore? Yep, Robert Ordell too. Okay. In fact, Jay, you might know more than the rest of us because you came really from Jeremy's system, someone who was asking if anyone had heard about Jeremy. So I don't know if you have, Jay, but Ji, but if you do, you can always put that comment in. I want to switch a little bit. We haven't talked about this yet, but in what eight day, well in eight days, well, that's right. In eight days, it's going to be George's birthday. No, that's not that's not the topic we're going to talk about. But in eight days, nine days now, it'll be March and March Maness. Yes, So let's talk a little college basketball. Absolutely, So, some of the standings have come out in for the AP and the coaches, and let's let's see in both respects. Auburn is one, Florida is two, Duke is three, Alabama's four, Houston's five, Texas Tennessee, then Texas A and m Iowa State, Saint John's, Texas Tech, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Perdue. So think about that. That's four Big Ten schools all within eleven, twelve, thirteen, and fourteen. Now are they up in the top elite? No. And what I will say is it's interesting because the Big Ten, some of the schools are not doing as well against each other in the Big Ten, but they have done well outside of the conference. After that, it's Purdue, It's Marquette, Missouri, Clemson, Arizona, Memphis, and Maryland rounding out the top twenty. I'll just kind of quick go over so your guys' thoughts on March Madness. Any of the college teams are you surprised where some of them are up. And yes, j I thank you for the update.
Speaker 7: Two one USA, Well, I don't think that the uh you know, to me, I don't get a real big impact until March comes on the calendar.
Speaker 3: Now we've got two teams that you just mentioned over kay in Michigan and Michigan State. What a rival ry and they are going in at Friday night live on Fox Sports. The whole nation's going to see that game. It's in ann Arbor. And then get this to end the Big Ten season, Michigan returns the favorite, has to play at Breslin and he's Lansing on the final Big Ten Sunday of the season. I'm sorry that that's regular play, not the conference tournament. But it's so exciting here. I mean, it's been a long time since both these teams were together, so with with such winning records that they have right now, the Spartans and the wolver Eights, So it's been very refreshing here. I think that it's gonna be a fun time. I'm so glad Dick Fytala is back. I'm so glad that I'm not glad but Hubie Brown is leaving now after a great career at the broadcast. But I tell you one thing, this is a sport that still is a joy to watch. And I know there's too much three point shooting in college just like there is in the NBA, But I just love watching college basketball. It's just a great time, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is. Watch a college game any day of the week, any college basketball.
Speaker 1: Now that football season is done, yes.
Speaker 2: Ye yeah. You know, hey, UFL is getting started back up. Yeah, very good.
Speaker 1: That's true. That's true. Yes, Hube Brown was a great announcer, and at least, this is what I'm going to say, at least he went out on his own terms. So good for him, us to him. You know, it was time for him. But I will say, like you said, George, you know Michigan and Michigan State both up there. I would say two rivals that aren't in the same conference in the state of Wisconsin, Marquette and Wisconsin, and to see both of them in the top twenty is great for the state of Wisconsin. And they're actually both Marquette sixteen, so they're not in both in the time, well it depends on coaches poll. They're at fifteenth, the top in the AP there is sixteen, so both they have both schools. They played each other. Marquette beat them earlier this year. But it'll be interesting to see where everybody gets seated. And that's always a fun time to watch March madness.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I have a question for the panel too. Are you surprised that Clemson's not ranked because they just defeated Duke And that was a heartbreaker for me because I'm a because I'm a Duke fan, and Clemson's still still not there. If you're going to beat the number fift at the time, there are number two. There are number two at the time. If you go and defeat number two team, shouldn't you move up to twenty fifth because of the because of the schedule.
Speaker 1: Clemson is actually seventeenth in the coaches and they are eighteenth in the AP.
Speaker 5: Okay, they said they.
Speaker 3: Did move a little bit. Yeah, you're right. They got a night scrappy team and to knock off Duke, oh man, that's a big win. Oh.
Speaker 5: I watched that game and I'm just sleep Yeah no, because I'm a huge Duke fan. And that was back and forth and they were coming back and Cooper flag he slipped and fell and get a traveling call and that cost the game. And I'm like, oh, there it is. That's game.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I forgot to mention too. In Detroit were excited because we won the bid for the twenty twenty seven Final four. So for the second time, second time in history, the Final Four is going to be in Detroit. It happened several years back in ford Field, the early decade of the two thousands.
Speaker 2: But can I ask your quick question, Charles less Old doing these days? I don't know.
Speaker 3: I haven't got an update yet, but yeah, I really can't say I haven't heard anything lately.
Speaker 2: I'm just curious, that's all.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, But the thing is about the ends of the Double A. And another thing that they do right is they move it around, okay, which is part of the whole biating process. I mean, one year it'll be in Milwaukee, next year it'll be in Detroit. But usually it's in Houston or Dallas or they want a golam stadium for the finals. We know that, so maybe Candy with Milwaukee making the changes to their stadium, they probably are. Yeah, like we talked a couple weeks ago, They're going to make a big effort to get land these big events.
Speaker 1: I think so, I think you could see well. And even with the stadium, I mean they have the Ffiser Forum, so they could do Final four. I think it's probably it'll be interesting. I have seen a frozen four in Milwaukee and that was cool.
Speaker 3: Yes, Detroit had one once too, yep mm hmmm at the Ford Field, Yeah, they had one. But the thing is, it's like I said, the NC Double A is very competitive, as you guys know. Just think it is for the Super Bowl, any big event.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, always big city Andy.
Speaker 3: If you could have March Madness end up in South Florida or Milwaukee, which would you prefer?
Speaker 1: Oh, hands down South Florida because that's where I live now and I'd have more of a chance of catching a game down here as opposed to it being in Milwaukee. But I would love to see an outdoor NHL game live. Well, you know, Ji if you if you can fly up for it. March first, the Red Wings are actually playing Columbus in in the Big Well in at Ohio State.
Speaker 3: Right, Yes, yeah, at the Horseshoe.
Speaker 1: At the Horseshoe, which is an awesome stadium. Not I have seen a football game there. I don't know how good it would be. The only thing about that is, I don't know how good it would be for hockey, because let's face it, the puck for hockey is so small and move so fast that in some of these big stadiums, I wonder really how good it would or how well you could view it. But so j I just get a ticket. I don't know if there's any tickets left, yep.
Speaker 3: But yeah, and that's the other thing. You know, we talked about Gary Bettman on the last show, but you know, I give him. He's got this stadium series too, So they're not just satisfied with January first, the Frozen Classic. They're also doing every year another one or two other stadiums, And in Canada it's called the Heritage Classic, and you got teams hosting Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa, whatever, and they play it on the Frozen turf. But that's been a very nice thing too. It's called the Heritage Classic for the Canadian teams.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, we were talking earlier on Sports Exchange about how violent hockey is because we were talking about CTE and Bobby Halt and others. So yes, that actually no sport is immune to CTE and concussions. Obviously, there are sports that are more susceptible. Two because it's they're just more violent, They're more hits and stuff like that. Hopefully they can use more technology to lessen that. Because no one wants. Ralph is pro Canada.
Speaker 2: He pro Canada. I just I just know who's gonna win. It's gonna be the US, Mike Sullivan's to head coach. Okay, I mean I like, I like Canadian players. I like Canada must if I've been to Canada like that.
Speaker 5: And Canada just missed a wide open net too.
Speaker 1: Jay, I would tell you one thing if you didn't hear. Last week was the first they Ralph renamed his Saturday show. It is no longer the bum External Bum. It is now the Sports Rap. So you have to check it out Saturday mornings nine am.
Speaker 5: On RULGI two. No No to to Canada just tied it up.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh so yes, you'll have to check out the Sports Rap, his new branded show. Okay, so I know everyone's into hockey, so let's do Let's go into my town and talk about what unless anybody else has a topic they want to bring up.
Speaker 3: Tonight.
Speaker 5: Let's talk about your player, my player.
Speaker 1: Player.
Speaker 5: Did you hear what happened today? Milwaukee Bucks player? Somebody needs to help me out of that's it? Yeah? Can we talk about him?
Speaker 1: Sure, you can talk about him.
Speaker 5: He suspended because of anti drug enhancement. Why did he do that?
Speaker 1: For tramadol, Bobby unintentionally took a pain medication called tramadol, thinking he was taking a pet pain medication called torradal. His agent said torre Doll is an approved pain medication that has been used previously and that the teams and players use for pain and inflammation at times. Tramadol, however, is not an approved pain medication and was just recently added to the banned substance list this past string spring. The tramadoll pill he took came from an assistant of his with a valid prescription for the painkiller, which he mistakenly told Bobby was torridoal and that comes from Bobby's agent, Portos's agent, Mark Bartelstein. And tramp Meddol is a synthetic opioid, while torredol is a non steroid sterre steroidal anti inflammatory drug. The Bucks have twenty nine games left in their regular season. After the first five games of Portos's band, Milwaukee will be able to move him to the suspended list and can sign a replacement player while he is out. I was dealing with an elbow injury and using an NBA proved medication for pain and inflammation during the time, I made an honest mistake and took a pain reducing anti inflammatory pill that has not approved. I feel horrible and recognize that I am responsible for what I put in my body. From the bottom of my heart, I want to apologize to the Bucks organization, my teammates, coaches, family and fans. I give everything I have on the court, and we will terribly miss playing games for the Bucks during this time. I will continue to work hard and be ready for our long playoff run.
Speaker 3: He is.
Speaker 1: His agent said he's not a drug He's absolutely not a drug abuser in this instance. I am so deeply disappointed that the NBA chose to interpret its policies so strictly and that the policy does not allow for a different result for an honest mistake with pure intentions. Bucks general manager John Horst said we one hundred percent support Bobby. He's an integral part of who we are a huge memory of the Milwaukee community and we look forward to his return. The thirty year old Portis is averaging thirteen point seven points, eight point three rebounds, and two point two assist in forty six games for the Bucks this season. Portis will begin serving his suspension Thursday, when the Bucks take on the last Los Angeles Clippers. He was suspended twenty five games. Wow, So I feel bad for him. He's you know, he admitted he did it and he is ultimately responsible, but he also did get it from somebody else too.
Speaker 2: When it comes to policies like that candy, there's always a fine line there. You know, the NBA is going to do it's going to spew it like it's the player's fault. But at the same time, the NBA sometimes don't. You have to watch how you classify these policies because if you don't have them classified properly, people are you know, then you have a fight with the union because you know, I've been involved in that, being in five unions in my lifetime. You know what drug policy's from the company, you know, and if it's not in fine writing, or it's not in fine print, or if it's not something that can that's really enforced or or are they just doing it because they want to or whatever they're you know, what's what's some of that stuff. We've seen that in the NFL. We've seen that all across the board baseball as well.
Speaker 1: Bensman, you want to comment since you wanted to bring up the top.
Speaker 5: I'm just surprised that he actually did it. And I'm surprised because if he's a well classed personally, he's he's a tough competitor no matter who team. I know NBA is going downhill, but there's always that team, and no matter how bad the NBA is and how bad your team is, you always want to root for your team through thick and thin. At least you should. That's what a true finn supposed to do. But he's out there and he's playing about thirty twenty five thirty minutes a game, and he's out there and he's going both ends of the floor, and he's actually given a hundred like some people that we talked about earlier tonight. But I'm just surprised he did that. I know it's not intentional, but you got he said Candies who said you gotta take care of what you put in your body, so and you know what the policy is when you start.
Speaker 2: What I have apologized real quick for getting off the air here. There was something going on in the hallway here on my floor, and I was trying to find out what it was with some shouting and screaming, and I just wanted to make sure everything was okay.
Speaker 3: You know. I think it was those I think it was those Canadian fans going up against the US fans.
Speaker 2: Yet all the way here, I forgot to say Mike comment about college basketball on the March Madness. What I like is when the underdog teams come in and beat some some big, top rated team. I love when that happens. That was in Vegas once in nineteen ninety nine, and I'll never forget this. I was staying at the Frontier and I went downstairs to go to the snack bar, and this guy was selling these big, thick hot dogs and a bun with potato chips for five bucks. So I grabbed two of the one for me and one for my first wife because we used to go to Vegas all the time. And uh, I saw some guy come out. He was standing behind me, reeking and booze. Uh. He said, I have one dollar left and I and he showed it to me and I said, well, what are you going to get with a dollar? He says, a ninety nine cent shrimp cocktail. And I said, well, I said, uh, he said, this is my last dollar. I said, well, what happened? He said, he put all kinds of money that you're on Syracuse and they blew it against Weber State. And you know, so I always love it when the underdogs come in like that and just beat these guys, and and and right after after the games were over, you should have seen the looks on these on these on these face is coming out of sports book. I heard money was lost something big time because you know, you don't expect the Weaver States of the world, or the Youngstown States or whatever to win any of these games coming and upsets your Dayton Atlantic ten. I mean, you know some of these teams could you never know it's a whole new season when that happened, when this tournament happened.
Speaker 3: And great great Campy coach Campy with the Oakland University last year, any old tiny Oakland University with the big.
Speaker 5: Last year. Last year Harvard beat a couple of big schools teams and then they they ended up getting defeated too.
Speaker 3: How about that one.
Speaker 2: Year when Robert Morse was in the Robert Morse was in the NCAA and they beat Kentucky. Yeah, that one year when they beat Kentucky.
Speaker 5: So, I mean, you know, cal Perry didn't want to. He didn't want to. He's like.
Speaker 3: You do.
Speaker 5: He was upset.
Speaker 2: Oh man, big time, it's burger.
Speaker 5: I'm there. I'm gonna add to what you're You didn't say it with some surprise, But any player that makes a bracket that small schools break the bracket with the snap of the snap of finger. They have a twelve thirty game, and that small school beats a big school, your bracket's done. First game at twelve thirty, yours bracket's done.
Speaker 2: That's why I never get involved in bracketthology. I do it.
Speaker 5: I do it. I do it here and there for fun.
Speaker 1: But thanks j I I'll have to see it when I'm off the Aarson Scott is resting after the last one. I will look forward to that.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I can't.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, you're fine, you're fine, You're fine. The one thing I will say Pensman about Portois, and yes, I mean he took it. He owned up to it. He shouldn't have. He brings so much energy to that team before he was, before he even joined the team, and I remember they he left and then I think they brought him back. And the level of energy and the way he interacts with the crowds to get them involved and get them enthused is just something refreshing that you don't see too often. And I so he will be missed. He's got to do his time, just like you know, anybody else.
Speaker 5: But it reminds me of alt iris Is back in the day, pumping up the crowd when momentum started to shift. I used to used to do the pump the crowd up when momentum started to shift their way.
Speaker 3: Well, I'll start with Detroy, my town. Okay, oh good, it's good news. George Blaha, who's been a friend of mine for all these forty five years that I've been in sports broadcasting and writing, is finally and I emphasized the word finally, receiving the Kirk Goudia Rode Award for Excellence in Basketball Broadcasting. This award is given out once a year at the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame ceremonies. This year's a little different though. In fact, what they've done is instead of just having one for a writer and one for broadcaster, they've added a couple other categories. So George is going to get it for the broadcast part of it, and then Clark Kellogg is going to get it for the also broadcast, but more of a like a color analyst type of position. George. I've been pushing for this man for five years now. I've wrote letters, I've asked other people to write letters, and when I got that news over a week ago that he made it, I was tickled pink, as they say. I was so happy for George. This man has been doing forty nine years of Pistons basketball, he'll hit number fifty next season, and he's been doing Michigan State Spartans football for just as many years too. So hats off, hats off to our man, George. Now, the thing that I heard, the thing that I heard is he's not part of the national scene. Well you know what, so what I don't think nobody told me that officially, but some people, you know, scuttle bought you here around Oh well they don't know him because he doesn't do any national broadcasts. Well, I'm sorry. You know, Piston's won three championships and George Baja was there okay for all three of them on national radio. But anyways, make a long story short. Like I said, we're very happy in Detroit for Baha finally going into the Hall of Fame next fall. Congratulations and hats off George and your wife Mary as well.
Speaker 2: Okay, Ralph, Yeah, Sat Day in Pittsburgh. You know the death of Mike Lang, as I mentioned earlier, been around for over forty five years and doing broadcasting with the Pittsburgh Penguins. The Pirates put a spunk into the announcing of the hockey game. There's no one, I don't think other than Douc Emerck probably that's any better than Mike Lang. He's in the Hall of Fame. Passed away. Was seventy I'm sorry, I said seventy four early. He was seventy six years old. And I want to tell you my story with Mike Lang. About twelve thirteen years ago, I was DJing an event at at a park in McKees Rocks, Pennsylvania, which is a suburb outside of Pittsburgh. A little bit, and I was djaying an event there. The park was being reconstructed by Kaboom and Kaboom at the time was teaming up with NHL teams across the country to fix parks, so in the community. So Kaboom was there. I got to meet Mike Lang, I got to meet Craig Patrick, and I got to meet Dan Bosma, who was the head coach. Craig Patrick was a GM at the time, and I got to meet all three of those guys, and uh, Mike Lang was very nice, uh, you know, and and gave me some pointers about broadcasting because he knew at the time that I had been in radio in the past and some things like that. He was a very nice guy, very nice man, very uh sociable.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: The Pittsburgh Penguin family and the UH in the in the Pittsburgh area. You're gonna miss Mike Lang. I mean, it was just it's it's it's a sad day here. And we also lost another guy in John Burnett, who was on our UH one of our channel too for a long time. He was a weather guy, hosted some shows, did some broadcasting and he passed away, uh this afternoon. So you know some some really good broadcasters that that uh you know, passed away here in Pittsburgh, and uh you know so. But that's that's my tone.
Speaker 5: Okay, pennsman, Well it's too too after two third period, there's twenty minutes left. I still have a lot to do with this Face of the Nation. Still have a lot to do, So go ahead and subscribe to my channel. Look at the shorts. After this is all over, the teams are going back to the teams that they play for Saturday, the Penguins play the Capitals. Can we please please go on a winning streak? Like I said last night on Sports Exchange, you cannot win one. You cannot go exactly Ralph, you cannot go one two to one, two two. You have to win three. You have to win more games than that. We are so close, We're right there. We just have to get a little winning streak. Let's go out there, Mike soliv and hopefully you get some confidence because you made the championship game in the face of the Nations. Let's see what happens. So that's my party shot. Penguin's better better step up their game.
Speaker 1: One of my part in one of my parting chets, because I have two. Mark Antonausio, you were owner of the Milwaukee Brewers, and I get you are owner of a small market team. You are in a small market. I get that, But if you want to compete with the big boys, you need to put up more money or you need to be very smart, because let's face it, the Milwaukee Brewers have done pretty good. It depends on what you're going for. Are you going for I just need playoff appearances or are you or do you want to be in the World Series and win the World Series? And I would think everybody on that team, every manager, that every coach, wants to win that World Series. If that's the case, and you can't because you haven't yet put more money into it, you keep tightening and shrinking. He clamps out on spending, the team's margin for air keeps shrinking. And if this is the season his frugality finally cost the Brewers, he will deserve some, if not most, of the blame, because if you can't afford to pay him more and get more positive, put more money into it, because let's face it, the Mets are and I'm not saying you got to put that much money in, but a little bit more. Either you bring somebody else in to help you, or you do it.
Speaker 2: The Mets are stacked this year, Candy. They went on and got some players. I mean, you know, both New York teams. Actually the Yankees did to you know, so and the other.
Speaker 5: The other thing that's just got two players from the Yankees and Clay Holmes. So that's yeah, yep.
Speaker 1: The other thing I would talk about that it's not happening right this minute, but it is going to be happening, and it's kind of very exciting and different. Is the NFL Draft is going to Green Bay. And I don't know if any of you have been out on Facebook today, but they have released some of the renderings of what the stage and where it's all gonna be. And I think it looks really cool. But of course I'm a Packer fan, so that makes a difference. Is it going to be the same as Detroit. No, they just don't have the hotel capacity they But what I will say is Detroit did an awesome job, don't get me wrong, but it's in between buildings downtown whereas in Green Bay. And I hope and I pray that the weather is good because that's because they're holding all of these outdoors. And what I will say is because of Tidle Town and because of Lamble there is a lot of space. There's a lot of parking lot area, so there do they have room for people to go view it is what I'm saying, which will be really cool. Does it look like a piece of cheese? No, it does not. And yes, jay I it is outdoors. They put they put a stage up, they put it, they normally put some it's normally protected. But it is the rest of the fans were outdoors last year, even for Detroit. Uh, it's really kind of cool. I really like some of the pictures that I've seen. If you haven't seen it and you want to, if you go to Three Chicks in a Pod on Facebook, I posted the pictures there so you can always look there. It does look cool. Kudos to them. And I hope that it. Like I said, I hope the weather is good and it turns out really well because I know they've been doing some hard planning for it.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so I'd like to see that there. Milwaukee is a good city.
Speaker 1: And the Steelers get at the following year because at the Super Bowl they had us. They had a booth for the Packers because they're hosting it this year, and they had a booth for the Steelers because they're hosting it the year after.
Speaker 5: So will Howard, Will Howard come to Pittsburgh. I can dream. I can dream, Ralph, I can dream.
Speaker 2: I have one of these things that I want to say right now. The Steelers are not going to do anything different this year. So please, no more stories about Matthew Stafford coming here, and no more stories about so and so coming here. Nothing's going to happen. Justin Field's will probably be our starting quarterback, Hole Allen will be our backup, and we'll go into the draft look for somebody in the late rounds for a quarterback. That's the what the Steelers are going to do. The standard is the standard. They're going to do absolutely hardly anything this year. And Candy, I sympathize with you about Milwaukee's owner. The only difference is is that the Brewers have won the Pirates. Haven't we have a you know, a thrifty or a cheap skate tightwatte owner here that that just that doesn't want to win a championship. He says he does, but don't want to give players that don't want to get players, you know, so you know, and uh, that's that's why the Pirates will always continue to be the Pirates.
Speaker 5: Candy, I got breaking news, said too, I got breaking news. If you follow my channel, you know I talk about this team regularly just because I can make fun of them, The Dallas Cowboys. Zach Martin has officially retired as of today. So I just want to I.
Speaker 3: Didn't hear that.
Speaker 5: I got breaking news, Prescott.
Speaker 3: Yep, wow.
Speaker 5: Zach Morton has officially retired.
Speaker 2: Wake Morton.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right.
Speaker 1: With that being said, I need to go through I need to pay the bills. Sellth Florida Tribune YouTube channel. If you see that red subscribe button, hit it. Like us, share us with all your friends and family. I also ask you to on any of our shows, go to all of the people that are on the panel, go to their channels and subscribe to their channels and watch them and support them as they support us self. Florida Tribute Publishing Company published a book, Lessons from the Microphone, Tuning into the during Wisdom of Visionary Leaders. It is written by Scott the Motor City Madmouth Morgan Roth who sometimes graces us with his presence on Fire Up, but he was on Sports Exchange previously and one of the shows that I would highlight from this week he did a one on one interview with an actress slash writer. You have to go check it out. It's on no limits. He did it Wednesday night. Go check it out. It was a great interview. In fact, she talked about and I don't know if any of you know this but or know the show, but she actually auditioned and turned down from Dawson's Creek one of the and she turned down one of the actress actresses jobs for Scrubs. Now she regrets that, of course, but you got to go check out that. It was a really good interview, So go check that out. Yes, Ji, you bought the book, We know you did. We thank you so much for buying it. Yes, it has a picture of a young Scott with a young Muhammad Ali. But if you like to listen to podcasts, you can find us where you get your podcasts Monday nights, Baseball, Tuesday nights, Football, Wednesday and Thursday nights. You never know where we're talking about. Get the book. The book is available on Amazon Barnes and Noble, Kindle, Google, and Apple Books. There's also a link on our website www dot South Florida Tribune dot com where you can see the writings of Pensman has written, but George writes a little more Pensman's only we got to get Pensman Wright a little bit more.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we got you, you got you.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's okay, okay, I that's okay, no problem, and yes ja I George wrote the forward for Scott's book.
Speaker 1: I can't forget that as well. If you want to advertise or be a sponsor, call Scott nine five four three four four one. If you want to be a guest or have show ideas, you can always email us South Florida Tribune at gmail dot com. Go to our website check out all of our great content. The other thing that I always forget and I shouldn't. If you like to listen to Chicks Talking about Sports Tuesday nights, seven thirty pm on The Chicks Podcast, it's three Chicks in a Pod or Chicks and Salsa. Here, I'll tell you the quick story. It was three chicks in a pod and then they met me and I'm like, well, hey, I'm what, I'm the fourth chick, but it's three chicks in a pod. So we named this change the show to Chicks and Salsa, but we sometimes do three chicks sometimes just to keep them going, because that's what we're doing. So if you like to listen to Chicks Talking Sports Tuesday nights, seven thirty, check us out. Okay, with that all being said, mister George, you and your beautiful piano there, tell us how can people find you?
Speaker 3: Just call me the maestro.
Speaker 9: Okay, I'll remember that my intro you Scott.
Speaker 2: You and Scott are toros of broadcasting and.
Speaker 3: Oh thank you later you'll get you nowhere Williams J George George wrote a book, Yeah sure, Dan Detroit sports broadcasters. On the We talk about guys like Ernie Harwell at Bruce Martin and Bud Lynch and al Caline was a broadcaster. Yeah, there's a copy of it, and thank you, Candy. And at the end of my column at the Motorcity's Tribune you'll see a link to go purchase it on Amazon if you'd like, or take a look at it. At least it makes a nice present, nice gift for those uh men and women in your life. That loves sports and you could follow me at g I corneryahoo dot com also on Twitter at Sandy G Sports ninety nine and I linked it under my name. So I'm out there and glad to be part of tonight's show as well as the Inside the Pigskin as my current residence on Tuesday Nights Now. Thank you, Ralph.
Speaker 1: How can people find you?
Speaker 2: Facebook? YouTube, Twitch, Twitter X platforms and also you can find me on Tumbler and I'm also on that new Sky Blue or Blue Sky or whatever that thing's called there. I'm on that as well, and you can please subscribe to my YouTube channel, Ralph Williams RW Media and also please follow me on Twitter X as well, and also don't forget Saturday's triple header of Ralph. It starts off with the Ralph Williams Tony Moreno Show at eight am to nine am twelve fifty AM, ninety two point five FM The Answer and then nine am. We're here on our social media platforms, including the South Florida Tribune platform. We're also on Huddle Sports Network and the other social media platforms as well for the Sports Rap the New Sports Wrap Show with Me, Scott and Leo Haggerty and whatever other guests we decide to have on to join us. We have that as well, and join us nine am to ten am. This week, we're going to talk about the teams that have the highest salary cap, that have the highest amounth of usage of their salary cap for this year for the NFL. We're going to talk about that. And Pat McAfee came out with a list of players who are his number one players for each team that he thinks are the best players. Some of them are controversial. We can take a look at that as well, and a whole lot more of this Saturday for the Sports Rapping in two to three pm Sports Corner Radio Show with Me, Ralph Williams, Smoking, Jim Fraser, Quaudi Razona, Luther Deprix two to three pm on twelve to fifty am.
Speaker 3: The Answer, and one of.
Speaker 1: The things I will say is we are challenging everybody to help Ralph. We want both Ralph and Punsman. We need them both to get up to one thousand subscribers on their YouTube channels. If you all could help us with that, tell all your friends and family it costs absolutely nothing.
Speaker 2: All your friend all your cousins, call somebody you know it.
Speaker 1: You know it. And I love Jai's comment here rel for you. He says, you have a very cool wrestling show, so well.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that, Jay, It's trending. I have some good guests on and when I don't, we you know, some good knowledge of what's going on in the wrestling world. This coming Tuesday, coming up, I'm gonna have Canaan Christopher, who is a professional wrestler. He wrestles with aw he wrestles with the WWE, does dark matches, and he was involved in the Wrestlerecs event two weeks ago. I will have him on this Tuesday on the Wrestling Show. And I'm also going to probably have to have Matt Bence will come back on again to talk about Matt Mike Lang this Tuesday and this Tuesday. We debut on the South Florida Tribute Network this Tuesday as well as the Huddle Sports Network for Sports Corner show.
Speaker 1: Awesome, Pen's Ben, how can people find you?
Speaker 5: I have one more breaking news to share before that. Sanderson just scored a US goal to tie that up. They just said that there is the first defenseman to score goal this tournament. So what yeah, yeah, that is just that's that's hard to believe. There's been it's been high scoring game, it's been back and forth, it's over and over. But Finland and Swindon they had some good games, but no defenseman ever scored until Sanderson scored. And this the first and the two goals from USA were both Ottawa Center players. So if you're an Outawa Center fan, there you go. But you can find me on Pensman Sports on YouTube. I have seven hundred and forty seven subscribers now. I gained two subscribers tonight because of my shorts, because of the game that's going on right now. So and then you can find me on Twitter x on Pensman Sports too.
Speaker 1: Awesome, awesome, awesome, you do. He does do some good play by plays. I agree. So with that being said, it's the end of the second intermission. Let's go watch the third for the USA VERSUS Canada, and who knows there could be overtime. You never know yet, God, Joey, No.
Speaker 5: Don't know.
Speaker 1: But thank you all for commenting, being here, watching us and being in the chat. Thank you guys for you know, taking time out of your night, because I know some of you would rather be watching the Four Nations. But I really am thankful that you were here. You're on the thank I'm on to the game too. Thank you for your fun podcast. Have a good one everyone, you two Ji, thank you so much. We will We'll see everybody next week. You never know what we're talking about, but thank you all. Have a great night and enjoy