Speaker 1: We're Tom and Lebrend and this is the Bitter Kitten Movie Club. Hellicans. Welcome back to another edition of the b k MC, a supplemental edition of the PSO Podcast where we take a look at one movie per week, unpack it, and talk the hell out of it. This week's movie is a director Joe Wright's Atonement from two thousand and seven, starring Kieren Knightley and James McAboy and a whole slew of up and coming British and Irish stars like Cir Saronan and Juno Temple and be A c. Cumber Batch.
Speaker 2: I had completely forgotten about this movie. The only thing I remember when we talked about it, it was like, all right, the dress. I remember the dress, and which we will talk about. But my point is that I completely forgot all these people in the movie. My god, I don't.
Speaker 1: Know, and they're all young. Maybe it's because I wrote that piece about the dress, but most of it was still pretty fresh in my heart.
Speaker 2: I completely forgot about everybody. I mean everybody. You named Sir Sharonan like a baby.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's a baby in this all right. Let me ask you this because there was you know, I'm watching this film, and I honestly don't know how many times I've seen it. I don't think I've seen it more than maybe three times. It's not like some obsessive watch of mine. But I could not place myself in the mindset of a first time viewer. So I'm I don't know. Do you think the twist at the end is surprising?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: It is? Oh, okay, I can't tell. I've seen it, so I know it, and I think is it?
Speaker 2: I think there are clever things and we'll talk them all right, Okay, but first of all, we have to remember that it's based on a book. So when yes, when something like any movie based on a book, they have to sort of follow the book.
Speaker 1: Yes, so I adapt it.
Speaker 2: Yes. My point is that it does feel like a book every now and then I see that, and you know, but it's I think it's a great story. I do too, beautifully done, I think, And it's one of those movies I'm watching it. I'm like, man, those British people.
Speaker 1: They really know their shit. Now, well, here's the thing. It's and this is one of the things that I do actually really like about the film is that it, in terms of its themes and setting and the milieu. It couldn't be more English. Oh, it starts in an English country house with spoiled, snobby people, and then it's World War two, and then it's like, you know, London during the war and nurses and soldiers and Dunkirk and overwriting the entire thing as secrets and sexual repression and scammed. Well, so on some level it is a quintessentially English sort of story. And what I really like about the film and what Joe Wright has done is the way it avoids lingering too long on any of that. I mean, I do think it spends too much time at don Kirk, and we'll get into that, but the scenes on the estate in the beginning of the film are so subtle. And I just want to note that this movie, it's two thousand and seven. It comes out at almost a perfect halfway point between Robert Altman's Gosford Park, which came out in two thousand and one with Maggie Smith, and Downton Abbey, which came out in two thousand and nine or twenty ten. It's in that period where there was just a lot of movies and TV shows about English country houses and the problem with those stories is that they all unpack relatively the same themes over and over and over again. In fact, that's why there have been so many Downton Abbey parodies in the last couple of years, is because we've all seen these fucking stories, right. And what I like is that Wright is he doesn't linger on any of those cliches. He doesn't make them the point of the story, but he lets some sort of color the story. I'm going to talk about a specific scene. It's just where Kiera Knightley and her brother are on that like barge on the on the lake with a diving board with Benedict Comber.
Speaker 2: Badge looking incredible. Who Benedett, Yes, god, so young and well he's so young, yeah, and handsome. She looks, Oh my god, everybody everybody looks.
Speaker 1: So anyway, they're all doing banter, and she actually does say at one point that she's not friendly with James McAvoy's character anymore because we don't run in the same crowds. And then at another point, Kira and her brother, I don't know the brother's name, maybe Leon, right, Bennedict Cumber batches speaking and the two of them exchange looks and Benedict Cumberbatch catches it, and nothing is made of this. In fact, Benedict Cumberbatch is largely the villain of one of the villains of the piece by the end of the film. But it just sort of underlines these people are fucking snobs, even to people of their own because Benedict was you know, he was wealthy. He was the one with the money. Yeah, he was the son of a manufacturer or whatever chocolate. But that family is so those country house families, Like they all put on their tiaras and they're out in the middle of the like, it's so snobby. And I love that the that right did not shy away from that, showing you know, these people are all snobs, but not lingering on it too much, because the other aspect of the story is that James McAvoy is a servant's son who is you know, invited to dinner and allowed to walk through the front door, but as soon as someone says something bad about him, they all turn on him immediately, and so there's classism. Can't get more English than a story about classism and snobbery. But again, it does not linger too much on that. It does not have people talking about that constantly. He only mentions it near the end of the film.
Speaker 2: I think everything is very subtle.
Speaker 1: That's the point. I'm trying to make you figure.
Speaker 2: Things out as the viewer. But you know, he's just a He's just a line here and there. But it didn't just set up is interesting. The house is goings stunning, the costumes are beautiful, and everybody's really, really, really good.
Speaker 1: There's not a single person that's bad in this. I will say that Harriet Walter, who plays the mother, is kind of wasted in this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't see much Juno Temple. My god, I was like, what baby, I know, and I'm like, what are you doing there? I forgot you. Yeah, everybody everybody was great.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, But like Juno Temple's storyline, again, there's a lot of subtlety in how that is presented. Is she a young girl who lied about who her rapist was? Or is she a young girl who got caught having sex with someone she shouldn't have and let that story because I think the film I was watching the wedding scene and I don't know, are you supposed to believe this tragic? She wound up marrying her rapist? And I or is she just a villain who just lied about being caught with an older man and wound up marrying him again subtlety. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not very clear if she just went with the story.
Speaker 1: Is she a tragic character or is she a bit That's really what it comes down to, and you don't know. The film does not really tell you either way. Although yeah, I mean she's still about her rape. I mean she's still you know, if Bennett Cumberbatch had raped her, why wouldn't she tell the truth about that? So I guess it comes down on the side of villainy. And that's a little dicey is when you make a rape a rape lie the center of your story, because you know, it gets into old tropes.
Speaker 2: About complicated you know, maybe at you have to take to understand that at the time, maybe she was kind of forced to marry him or who do you don't know.
Speaker 1: It's the film exactly. The film does not come down hard on any of this. It's it's a really interesting approach because and I guess that's the point is that the ambiguity is supposed to be what fuels the story. The other thing I think about him, his directing and the writing of the film, which is very smart. And Ian McEwan, who wrote the book, is one of the co writers of the film, so that it has something to do with it. The way the film plays with time, it'll show you a scene and then it'll go back and show you the seen from a slightly different perspective or angle or like that. I always like that. Well, the thing is, the story is relatively straightforward. If you were to tell it in a chronological manner, if you were to not be ambiguous about what you were trying to say, then you would have a very straightforward story. But it probably wouldn't be very interesting. In fact, you would you wouldn't have that twist at the end. It would just all play out normally. So in order to make the story more interesting, you have to have that sort of playing around with the time to the timeline. There is a question hanging over the film that I would love to get into, but I think that's going to be after our first break. Let's talk about the production design. We will talk about the dress the production design. First off, that house which I was shocked to find out that house was only built in the late nineteenth century. I would have thought it was built like a sixteen. What I want to point out is that, uh, there's some there's a lot of themes and visual motifs in the film. One of them is water. We see her diving into that pond, or we see her diving into that fountain. They're on that lake, they're on the beach at Dunkirk, and of course she drowns at the end of the film. Well, I mean, oh yeah, I mean I don't feel like I need to do spoil our alerts for this podcast, you know, and and once you know that, you can look for them, and it's it's an artful way of using that. And and similarly, I think it's a bit of a subtle foreshadowing is that, you know, James McAvoy is sitting in his his like bedroom or whatever and whatever shack his mother lives in, and he's looking over a skylight and a bomber flies over her head. And again I feel like that's a subtle absolute. Another subtle point is that that scene on an incredibly romantic scene where she gets on the bus and they're parted, and she's in her nurse's uniform and he's in his soldier's uniform. It could not be anywhere English. And the bus is going to the station where she eventually dies, it's on the back of the bus. Yeah. Yeah, there's all of that. And the other thing that I want to point out, which I love, is all of the floral motifs in the film, and I don't know that they have anything more to do with it except that argument that she has with Robbie with the vase by the fountain is what initiates everything. It all starts in that moment, and everything falls apart after that moment, and it's all about those flowers. And so if you go into the house, that house is choking with flowers, every upholstered item, every pillow, every wallpapery, curtain, and sometimes like that children's playroom that they're in, there's like six different florals going on in that room. Now, that's pretty much of the time of the period of the style for that kind of house. But I you know, production design choices are choices, and I felt like this was a visual motif that was tying that moment, that moment at the fountain with the rest of the story, right, the whole thing, the vase and all.
Speaker 2: Pause because it's you know, it's not very clear why you think that's so important, because she makes the point that it's one of our most valuable Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think the vase itself actually means anything. I think she was using as an excuse to go outside, like she wanted to see him. If you want to fill up a vase, why would you carry it all the way outside to it. I order she wanted to see him. You know. It's those two were hot for each other, crazy, crazy hot for each other. And I'm assuming, because again the doesn't spell these things out, that class issues were keeping them apart. She was clearly a snob. I mean, she was very clearly a snob. She even thought Benedict Cumberbatch's character was beneath her, So how was she going to date the cooks, you know, son or whatever.
Speaker 2: But the whole water thing is interesting because there's also sircial Ronan's character. She jumps into water too.
Speaker 1: Again, that's yeah, that's another example, and they show that, they show them underwater like that, and then they show Kara Knightley at the end floating in that tube station underwater. I think all of that is rather artfully done.
Speaker 2: I think the I think the movie did a very good job if you're watch him for the first time not really knowing what's going on and what's real and was what's not real? And I thought that was very clever. Yeah, but you only find out that towards the end, when when you're actually talking to old Sircier Ronan's character.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a short break. I'm gonna unpack that. When we come back, we'll be right back picking up. We're back picking up on your last point, Lorenzo. I thought it was interesting again because I could not put myself in the place of someone who didn't know where the story was going. And it'll be interesting if any of you listening had did watch this for the first time. I would really be interested in hearing your thoughts on this, because I felt like kind of by the time you got to Dunkirk. And I do think that scene went on too long. It's one of the few criticisms I have of the film is that the World War two France scenes just went on too long. And I actually might have wanted a little bit more of Briany at the hospital and all that, or even Cecilia at the hospital. Karen Knightley's character. But by the time you get to Dunkirk and they're wandering that beach and my god, that scene did go on long. It's an impressively shot scene, but it did go on along. You're starting to get the sense of this is not going to be a romance, like there's not to be a happy ending here. You sort of get that sense. Am I wrong?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I again, if you haven't read the book, if you watching the movie for the first time, you kind of you want them to be together.
Speaker 1: Of course, wonderful together. You want them to.
Speaker 2: Get together at some point, but you don't know if that's going to happen, if one of them is going to die. I mean, you keep wondering the whole time. And I think the movie does a very good job. And I don't know. Again, I haven't read the book. Maybe the book has a like a whole chapter about the you know, him going to war, But.
Speaker 1: I mean, ultimately it's whether it works as in the film or not. I thought it was.
Speaker 2: I thought it was interesting too, to give you some perspective of what was going on at the time. I think that's watching those scenes, I'm like, oh, holy shit, man.
Speaker 1: I do think it's very good at reminding you. Yes, yes, you know, World War two was brutal as ship. It was incredibly.
Speaker 2: Broaching watching those scenes. What came to my mind was like, Wow, you were in the pretty house and all of a sudden, now you're you're taking care of dead bodies, you know, because that's the reality of what happened. Right, So I think the movie does a good job.
Speaker 1: I actually really I know, apparently the scene with Briany and the French soldier with the head wound in the hospital, uh huh. The director had to fight to get that in because, like you know, the the studio didn't think there was a need for that scene, and maybe there isn't a need for that scene, but I really did think it was you know it. I think it's a necessary overall theme about the brutality of those years and what it did to the English people.
Speaker 2: And also what she put Robbie through, you know. Yes, yeah, I think that's a good point because she's she's looking at what what what happened to those people? Yeah, and because of what she did, he's in that position. Now.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about the dress, and then we're going to jump into talking about Briany, because that's my overriding question here. Is Briany a villain or is she just a girl who made a terrible mistake?
Speaker 2: Don't get into that later. The dress, The dress, My god.
Speaker 1: I have written a lot about this dress. We wrote a piece on it like six years ago on our site, going to link to it. I don't have much more to say that hasn't been said in that piece, but I will point out Jacqueline Duran is the costume designer, and it's one of the few dresses on that has its own Wikipedia entry. There's only about ten dresses.
Speaker 2: It's insane.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's fair to say it's one of the most iconic gowns cinematic gowns of the twenty first century, but I definitely I would also place it as one of the most iconic gowns in cinema history period. One of the things that stands out about that gown is you might not realize it because it feels so perfectly of the moment, it's actually not. There's a lot about that gown that no one in nineteen thirty five would have broughtn has spaghetti straps, and that was not a thing in nineteen thirty five. There's a laser cut lace in the bodice, and obviously that wasn't a thing in nineteen thirty five. The way it's gathered on the front and everything, even the shape of the skirt, the shape of the skirt is extremely full for nineteen thirty If you think of like gowns, like silk bias cut gowns in nineteen thirty five, you're looking at like Carol Lombard and Jean Harlow and those screen sirens, and those gowns were sleek. I mean, Jean Harlowe famously, I'm gonna give you a little bit of she had a shave or bush because she couldn't wear she had to be naked under those gowns, and they were so clingy that she had to, you know, keep herself hair free down there. That's how clingy those gowns were. Because of her Fabri has a lot of drape and flow. When she walks out of the front door and it is just billowing around her. It's really not nineteen thirty five, but it's a stunner the go it is. I mean, I mean, she never looked more beautiful on film. My god, just never ever total supermodel. In that moment, they don't even think. I mean, obviously Karen Knightley's beautiful, but in that moment, it's like, holy cow, I think cinematic professions.
Speaker 2: She's a beautiful woman, but she's not like gorgeous, drop dead like well people expect of, you know, that type of beauty. But in that moment, in that moment, Johnny, that shade of green is just perfection everything about everything about it.
Speaker 1: And if you want to get into symbolism, like that green it evokes all of the grasses and wildlife that's around her. But green also has a has a an underlying implication of poison and also magic. So it's kind of all bound up in in that color is that there's the natural world, there is the magic of her, just a vision of her right and the fact that you know her life and his life are ruined after she wears that gown. And one of the things I pointed out when we wrote about that gown is anytime you see someone pickin item, pick something out of a closet and get dressed on camera, there's a reason for that. They want you to look at that outfit. They want you to understand that that outfit has meaning. Think of every makeover sen you ever saw that. There's a reason you're shown her choosing and picking that dress. It's important. And I also want to note I think the sex scene is both very sexy and a little disturbing. And it's sexy when you're in their perspective and when you look at it from Briany's perspective. He does a very good job of shooting that in a manner where you're like, what the hell is going on there?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What like because a thirteen year old girl in nineteen thirty five would not have.
Speaker 2: Known, right, I do think, well, she makes a point that she was in love with him, so I think there's also that there's a little bit of jealousy there and why her and all that. I don't think she's completely naive about the whole thing. I think she's a child and misunderstood, you know, but you.
Speaker 1: Really think she didn't understand it was Bennetict Cumberbatch. No until the wedding, because that's what it's implied.
Speaker 2: No, I know she knew, she knew it wasn't him.
Speaker 1: She did that.
Speaker 2: I think because she was pissed. She was annoyed as a child, she was annoyed.
Speaker 1: I think there's a bit of that, But I don't know how deliberate she was in nineteen thirty five, And I think, if you want to get into it, I don't think a thirteen year old girl in that setting, in that time period, I don't think she should be judged too harshly for making that kind of mistake, even if it was caught up in her own feelings, in her own sexual repression, which it clearly was. But my take is everything she does after that, including right up until Vanessa Redgrave at the end, uh, huh, villain, don't.
Speaker 2: I don't think she's a villain. I think she can't deal with her guilt. I think, Okay, I think she just can't. She can't come to terms with that, that she's a reason why all that happened, you know. And and and I think one of the uh, one of the beautiful things about the movie, I think is that if you haven't read the book, if you don't know anything, you really believe that they got together. And that's a I thought that was very clever.
Speaker 1: I mean, I believe I believed.
Speaker 2: And because you hate Brownie's character so much. I mean, at least I did. I mean, I hated that girl for doing what she did. Uh, you wanted a scene because I hate when movies don't give you a scene when the people get confronted by something. I absolutely hate that. No, I need that, I need. So I think that's very clever that we got that. We got him to confront her and talk about, you know, well, that shitty thing she did.
Speaker 1: And that was her choice to do it that way. Yes, And to me, I think at the end of the film, and I think a lot of this is in Red Gregg's performance, because she's so good and she's so subtle. I think there's a tremendous amount of delusion and shame in that final choice. And I think when she's basically appealing directly to the audience and saying I gave them that, I gave them their happiness, and it's like, you, lying, piece of shit. No, you didn't know. You didn't. You wrote a happy ending so that your final book could have a happy ending. If you were braver about it, you would have put that in the book. But she didn't. She waited until she was giving it her final interview or whatever. And I thought that no.
Speaker 2: I thought that was weird that, like, Okay, you gave a happy end in the book, but then you give the interview.
Speaker 1: I think she I think she felt I don't know. Actually that's actually a good point. I think I don't know if she was ever planning on telling the truth, or if that was an impulse she had for her final interview because she was dying. I think it should be pointed out it was a clever choice, but you have to sort of bring yourself out of the film for a second to deal with it was to have her have this hairstyle in all three eras, which is not how people live. And that was very specifically a little girl's hairstyle in nineteen thirty five, and by the time you get to Vanessa Redgrave in like two thousand and seven or whatever, it looks ridiculous on her. And that's the point, Like there was some It's one of those examples that comes up when people criticize films for giving a character the same hairstyle. But that woman was stuck. She was stuck in nineteen thirty five and she never moved past it. The guilt of that has literally crippled her as a person. She is. She's broken at the end. I think she's a really broken person. And I think that is it's a multiple tragedy. It's like the tragedy of Robbie and Cecilia and how they died and they could never get together. But it's also the tragedy of Briany, who just was a broken person for her entire life, who never ever moved past this much. I think it's the.
Speaker 2: Movie's clever also, like when they she has the conversation with the two main characters, Robbie and Cecilia about coming clean, you know, and telling the whole story and tell them, telling everybody the whole story. But she can't do that anymore because Juno Temple's character Lula is right, right, right. So I think that's brilliant because okay, did obviously obviously that didn't happen, But did you at some point had the conversation with somebody, you know, to compleat They.
Speaker 1: Don't tell you any of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they don't tell you any of that, and you don't know, You really don't know what happened. The only thing you know is that he went to Wars. She went. She became a nurse to help and apparently they never met, right, they never.
Speaker 1: I think you're supposed to believe that that scene, well, I don't know. Yeah, Vanessa Redgrave at the end says, I researched all the scenes that I was not present for. I think the scene on the bus where they parted ways happened. You must have happened, although I don't know how Briany would have known about it unless there were letters. Right, So I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's not clear.
Speaker 1: It's not clear.
Speaker 2: It's not clear everything, right, That's why the Maeter the country house is up for interpretation. You don't know what happened. That's why I love them. And I mean, maybe I'll read the book to find out how it's done in the book. I thought that was very clever because because you kind of believe all that and then you find out that that actually didn't happen, which makes things even sadder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, now that I think about it, that scene of them saying goodbye when when she gets on the bus, it's so overly romantic, and like I said, it's such a cliche of English war films that it probably didn't happen. No, it probably didn't happen.
Speaker 2: Didn't. I don't think they ever met again. You're probably right.
Speaker 1: Although there were letters, weren't there, And in fact, they showed they showed his friend in Dunkirk taking the letters, and I think that must have been maybe she.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, maybe he got letters but never saw her.
Speaker 1: Right, I think they yes. But my point is might have indicated that they did. Oh you know what I mean, like they might that's maybe she read the letters. Yeah, maybe she read because she talked about the country cottage by the sea, and that was a literal postcard on top of that pile of letters, and she would have had to have seen those letters at some point. Interesting. It's a very thought provoking film.
Speaker 2: I thought it was a beautiful movie. I think it's a beautiful movie. And yeah, it made me said a couple of times, and actually it is. I was like, this is really it's sad story, but very interesting, really well done. Yeah, I really enjoyed it. I did too watching it again.
Speaker 1: So we will have a piece up on the site today unpacking some of this stuff further, with lots of pictures and that sort of thing. We'd love to hear what you all thought of it, and we'll be back next week. I'm sorry I didn't check the Bitter Kitten roster for next week. I can't remember what next week's film is, but we'll be back next week.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna get but it isn't Abett's face.
Speaker 1: Maybe it is by my favorite You're correct, it is Babbett's face. Lorenzo's favorite film of all time. We did Wings of Desire, which was my favorite film of all time. Yes, all right, so we'll be back next week with Bibbett's face. Until then, take care of yourself. Love you mean it.
Speaker 2: Bye bye bye