Speaker 1: Tricia is in. She is in Where is she? She's in North Carolina? Boone, North Carolina, which is a mountain town in North Carolina. And I did a FaceTime with her yesterday. I've never been there that part of the country. Man, is it beautiful? And the temperatures are are like in the seventies this time of year.
Speaker 2: Like I'm all in, yeah, you know, I have not been specifically to Boone.
Speaker 3: Let me see where exactly it.
Speaker 1: Is that they flew into Asheville, and I think it's about an hour and a half from from there, Okay, And our listeners in North Carolina are like, damn, Sandy, come see us.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I've been going out to Greenville, very close to her. It's just it's just south of Asheville. It's actually Greenville, South Carolina. Yeah, And I have fallen in love with that part of the country.
Speaker 1: It's supposed to be a hip, cool place to.
Speaker 3: What sit did you just say? Greenville? Yeeah? And I drove last year. I didn't have time to stop.
Speaker 2: I drove through Ashville on the way out, and that's that was the trip in October when my truck blew up.
Speaker 3: That was I mean, it was a funny, funny.
Speaker 1: I got a big kick out of your Instagram stories when that was going on, but I felt bad for you at the same time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's all right, that's another story for another day. But yeah, that part of the country is amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I need to get over there. I got to check it out. She's enjoying it. It looked beautiful. She's at this really cool airbnb that's in a golf course community, but outside you can't see any of the houses because the trees are just so big and so.
Speaker 3: Thick that you can't see any neighbors. I like that.
Speaker 1: Hey, coming up on the show today, I got something just for you, JB. JB is a beer lever, always has been, I think always will be. So we're talking about the best cities, the best beer cities in America. I think very interested in that. Yeah, I think the number one might surprise you. Also, there's this weird trend with kids going back to school that they're doing for their teachers, and I'm just like, it's weird. I'll tell you about it. And also, JB, you don't know, but we're gonna do something we call rapid fire, Q and A. I've got three questions for you that help the audience that has never heard you before get to know you little bit. All right, I'm ready stick around all that more. Next, The Sandy Show is brought to you by our bank. Count on our bank to meet your business or personal financial needs. Explore their services at www dot r dot bank.
Speaker 3: Remember FDI C.
Speaker 1: There's a few things in our lives JB. That will never go out of style. Pockets is one. Pockets will never go out of style. Zippers and beer beer will always be. It's so interesting group of things to put together. I don't see zip I mean, I don't see pockets going anywhere.
Speaker 2: Do you no? But I do know when I drink beer, I use my zipper a lot more. You guys out there think we rehearsed that we did not. I would not have rehearsed that bad Joe.
Speaker 1: Well, here are the best beer cities for beer lovers, and they they based it on price is.
Speaker 3: One of the things.
Speaker 1: Availability like how many places you can get a good beer, breweries, tasting tours, and the average cost of a beer. Some of these cities are not going to surprise you. Some of them will. Portland, Oregon is on the list. I've been the Yeah, New Orleans, no surprise there. Really, this one might surprise you, but I lived there for a year, doesn't surprise me. Cincinnati, Ohio as a pretty vibrant, like small brewery scene there.
Speaker 2: I could see some local beers, Midwest towns, a lot of sports, yep, reasons to drink beer.
Speaker 1: Same thing for Pittsburgh. They're number seven on the list. I mean, I just Pittsburgh just sounds like a beer drinking city to me. Yeah, you you were born with foam in your mustache. Oh, then Landcaster, Pennsylvania. Then a city you were just talking about that. You've recently fallen in love with Greenville, South Carolina, number five on the top ten best cities for beer lovers.
Speaker 2: Huh, Yeah, it's it's really a beautiful part of the country. Like you got everything, didn't you.
Speaker 1: Oh, you took your airstream that was a winery, right, you stayed a like it was a winery that you could park your airstream at.
Speaker 2: I mean I took it to Greenville a couple of times, but I do. I use this thing called Harvest host where you can stay at wineries and brewery breweries for free.
Speaker 3: For one night. But the expectation is that you'll come in and spend a little money. Right.
Speaker 2: So a lot of these wineries just have like open fields, you know, and you don't have electricity, water or anything like that up.
Speaker 3: But you can just pull in and park for the night. That's cool.
Speaker 2: And sometimes yeah, sometimes it's at a brewery, like an urban brewery, like in the city. They just have a huge parking lot and it's an off night and they'll let you park there.
Speaker 3: And yeah, kind of like Walmart does.
Speaker 2: I haven't done the Walmart thing, but yeah, yeah, Walmart is very RV friendly.
Speaker 3: And you come home with six cases of wine and you're.
Speaker 1: Telling your wife, but I got the spot for free, right, That's that's chick economics.
Speaker 3: Oh, totally a pair of shoes. She'll lose your mind. Right.
Speaker 1: Wrapping up this list of Portland, Maine, then Las Vegas, Pensacola, Florida, and number one Ashville, North Carolina.
Speaker 3: It's the super hipster there. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, best city for beard lovers. Another reason that I need to visit.
Speaker 2: I'll get you an interest a beer fact that that's recent that might interest you a little bit more.
Speaker 3: Are you familiar with athletic brewing? No, so it is. It is a non alcohol craft beer so forever.
Speaker 2: And I'm a little bit biased about it. I've met those guys and there they are. Where I'm going with the statistic is they are now one of the top ten brewers in the US already non alcohol beer, but it's craft beer, and so it's something in their process. You know, non alcohol beer for years was just it just was tasted like water. It was just swill.
Speaker 3: And they do it.
Speaker 2: I think they brew it the same way you would normally brew beer and then extract the alcohol. So it has a really good flavor to it if you like beer flavored but don't want the alcohol they're crushing. H what's the name of athletic brewing. It's huge. They have just had rapid growth. If you look up business stories on them or something.
Speaker 1: As badly as I want to try it, having not drank for eight and a half years, I just think that's a slippery slope for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I know, I know it works for a lot of people, but I can see how getting back into that taste, like, yeah, maybe a bad thing.
Speaker 1: A new trend for the first day of school. We'll tell you about it in just a second, thanks for being with us. It's the Sandy Show. Tricia is out, but JB is filling in again today. I do appreciate it, man. I know it's taking up your time and probably got a lot of things you could be doing or would rather be doing. So for doing me a solid, I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's no problem. It's fun to jump in here. It's like it's really all it's doing is cutting into my nap today.
Speaker 3: That's about.
Speaker 1: And by the way, the uh, you certainly draw the podcast listeners. I looked at our stats for the last couple of days that you've been on and they are four and a half times bigger than just Tricia and I. So thanks, thanks, thanks for bringing those in. You can grab the podcast. I'm sorry interrupt you. Jiby ahead.
Speaker 3: No, I'll just say thanking people for checking it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just search The Sandy Show wherever it is that you get your podcast. So here's the new trend, and I'd love your take on it, uh, JB. For kids to bring a gift for their teacher as a first day of school gift. I don't know if this stops it like middle school or high school or what, but I can kind of get it for the little kids, kindergartener's first grader.
Speaker 2: Making it a special yeah, where you're trying to make this bond with the teacher. You know, you're they're scared going in there when they're a little bitty or mine wasn't. Mine wasn't in particular, but mine was scared. Was she scared to start school?
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little bit, but she got over it kind of quick. I think we were probably more scared, yeah than she was. But apparently this is a new trend to and.
Speaker 2: What kind of ges like how far do we got to go here? Just like a little pastry or a.
Speaker 1: Right a cupcake, a sugar cookie, a Starbucks five dollar gift car pen, I just feel like, my goodness and this is kind of you maybe can relate understand this. This just piles on top of all the other things that every time you turn around you're having to give a little extra four. Like everywhere you turn someone's asking for a tip. You know, like the guy changing the oil, my oil wanted a tip.
Speaker 2: That's funny you say that. I just had it on a motorcycle inspection. They had to he turned it around and you could tip. Yeah, like wait, yeah, I got no problem.
Speaker 1: June was my cutoff for and then the rounding up thing, you know, for charity. I do it up until June. After that I say, no, I'm done. Would you like to round up for SAT so and so charity?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 1: Gay, I already did it the first six months of the year. I'll do it, but the second half, no, thanks, And I don't have any prob I'm not tipping somebody if it's not a typical service.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's got to be they actually put something into that.
Speaker 3: It crafted something right or yeah, I mean, are there you something right?
Speaker 1: If I have to go to the counter when they call my name and get my food and then I have to throw my stuff away when I'm done, I'm not leaving the tay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're right on that.
Speaker 1: But it just kind of this just I don't know what to set me off on. It just seems like another extra thing you gotta do. You got to pay for it. Every time you turn around.
Speaker 2: And think about these teachers, do you think these kids are bringing them a darn thing that they want?
Speaker 3: It's just more crap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, more crap that the kids would cry if they saw what the teachers did.
Speaker 3: With it right, throw it away, find them in the dumpster by the playground. The kids are off flying.
Speaker 1: Rapid Fire Q and A with JB A good chance for everybody that maybe even not heard him before, good chance for you to get to know him a little bit. I've got three questions for him, and they're coming up in a second. Make sure that you grab the Sandy Show podcast wherever it is that you get your podcast. I'd also give it a follow on Instagram at the Sandy Show Official JB. Your first question in Rapid Fire Q and A is which Olympic event have you spent the most time with watching this year?
Speaker 2: You know, you would think I would say cycling, but there aren't that many events. I probably have spent the most most time watching gymnastics. I would because that's that's what my wife enjoys the most, and so we kind of sit down and watch the full length that way.
Speaker 3: I can't do the four corner thing. I can't either. Multiview can't do it.
Speaker 2: I don't know how people do that, but I did watch some cycling. Surprisingly found myself watching a lot of field hockey.
Speaker 1: Really, I have a question about the cycling they have a road race. Do they also race in the belodrome.
Speaker 3: To rather the track stuff this week? Yeah? They is that the one where they they stay still on the bike and they balance the track stand? Yeah, some of that And why do they do that?
Speaker 2: Uh, they're avoiding going first because these are short short sprints and so and those guys are built completely different, like they're one of their legs is like the size of our torso, like they're really yeah, and it's all power and so they do this goofy track stand thing. But some of the other events are really cool that uh and I think I mentioned this the other day. I found myself watching U a bunch of the women's rugby, Like I really got.
Speaker 3: A kick out of that.
Speaker 2: It was impressive and uh yeah, just rugby in general is a cool sport to watch. But I just start you know, they got the bronze and got wrapped up in that story.
Speaker 3: But it has to be gymnastics.
Speaker 2: When we start getting into the gymnastics, it's like it's just a it's an it's probably the best part.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: We did just have a bunch of the track and field, like when you're doing the one hundred meter in the relays.
Speaker 3: That stuff's exciting. Yeah, that is that photo finish in the Men's one amazing.
Speaker 1: Gosh, you guy that knocked the bar over on the pole voult with his wiener?
Speaker 3: Did you see that? And we got a world record polevault too? Yeah, that's right, I did. Just wow.
Speaker 1: I remember when it's a big deal deal when Sergei Bupka did went over twenty feet, that was a big deal back in the in the eighties. Those guys are massively strong. People that poll Volt are incredibly upper body strong. Next question for you, JB. What band living or dead? Would you spend way too much money to go see live?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I would spend a fortune to see The Clash.
Speaker 3: Really Yeah.
Speaker 2: I've seen a couple of members of the Clash and later with other projects, But that would probably be my first choice. Like you know, you know, Beatles is too obvious. I don't want to sit there and go hardy.
Speaker 3: I want to I don't want to hold your hand all night. Yeah, screaming teenage girls. Yeah no, but I think the Clash would probably be my absolute first choice.
Speaker 1: I would that'd be fun. That last question for you JB and Rapid Fire, Q and A. If you were to write your autobiography. What would the title be? It would probably be Luckily I'm packing heat.
Speaker 3: I will just leave it there.
Speaker 2: I'm not the smartest, I'm not the best looking. You can decide what that means, whether that's a gun.
Speaker 3: Or I'm a pole vaulter.
Speaker 1: Here's a fair warning for everybody. I'm probably going to make you mad right now. I'm just guessing that my opinion on this is going to be very unpopular, but I'm gonna share it with you anyway. It's a Sandy Show. Jb is filling in for Tricia today. Find us on Instagram at the Sandy Show Official, Facebook's at the Sandy Show Radio and grab the Sandy Show podcast. You can listen whenever you want. I know that you can't listen to the whole show. Maybe you're listening now, you can't listen later on. But it's just great the world that we live in. To listen whenever you want to. That's the best part. So just starts the Sandy Show and listen wherever you want. I had lunch with a buddy of mine yesterday and we're sitting there and we're just having lunch, chatting and stuff. Then he pulls up his phone and he goes, huh, he's at Costco. And I go what, and he goes, yeah, I'm not gonna say his name. He has a twenty three year old son, and I'll cut to the chase here. He's twenty three years old, he graduated from college last year. He's still tracking his son on his phone. I'm like, dude, yeah, that's setting yourself up. You're gonna find out some stuff you don't want to know.
Speaker 3: That's a tough one. Do you have my daughter?
Speaker 2: My daughter's twenty two, she's nearly the same, she'll be twenty three in November, so not that far away.
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't, and I didn't. I didn't track her all the time.
Speaker 2: Like we never put in an app to where I could just look easily with ease. It's just when we got like genuinely concerned, I would go on to her iCloud.
Speaker 3: And turn to see where she was.
Speaker 2: But that was like usually when my wife was worried, like, hey, can you see where she is? I haven't heard from her, but in general, so she's been living on her own for two years now, two years.
Speaker 3: Like, no, I don't track it anymore. And it's hard to let that go.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, because like I have it on my phone that it's on the fine my whatever app on my iPhone.
Speaker 3: I can look and see where Landry is. I never do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Tricia, does you also have a pretty wholesome kid, Like you know what I've got, I've got a rule follower?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: She's she is that kid that is a rule follower, which is good, you know.
Speaker 3: But I'm like, don't you want to push it a little bit? Kid, you know, trying to get her to it. I'm not tracking. I'm not tracking, right, Go go be wild for a night. Would you know? I was on the other end of the spectrum for that. Yeah. It's that's scary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, and it can change so far. I could say this one day and the next and then tomorrow. My kids just the lunatic, you know what I mean, just go off the rails. You never know with kids. But this generation has grown up with it to be tracked for us to see where they are at all times. I'm like, at some point, you gotta let it go. I'm not saying now for a fifteen year old girl, but at twenty three and a dude, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Do you want me to give you a real covert way to find out more specific of where they are if your kids trying to lie to you? Yeah, do you want to know this trick?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And a lot of people don't know. And I'm assuming it works the same for Android. I don't know.
Speaker 3: But what people don't realize is like, oh, your your kids will they'll fake things.
Speaker 2: They'll they'll have someone texting from another number saying that it's their friend's mom.
Speaker 3: Oh, and it's some other friend. Yeah.
Speaker 2: They get tricky, and so one thing you can do, one thing. A lot of sorry kids, I'm writing out on this here, but uh, a lot of people don't realize. There's a lot of metadata in a photo. So if you're like, hey, are you having fun, take a photo of your friend's real quick, just to say check in. Then you open that photo up and it'll show you time and look. Oh, so if they're being deviant and sneaky about where they are, they could go, oh, let me just grab my friend here, yes, and we'll just take a quick.
Speaker 3: Snapshot for my mom see that we're fine.
Speaker 2: And then you look at the metadata and they're like, at the Texas coast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what happened? They're down in Porta, Ransas.
Speaker 2: What. Yeah, but there's there's a lot of data in there and they may not think, oh, we're fine and send you a picture.
Speaker 1: Got good trick, JB. That's years of parenting paying off for you right there. You get all right, listeners, get that free of charge. We're not going charge here for that one. Stick around more coming up. JB is here. Tricia is not here today, and we appreciate him sitting in with us today. Check out JB's mini podcast that he does, including a JB Squared if you're a cycling fan. He does that with Johan Bernil, who is the team director for seven Toward de France Victories with Lance Armstrong, and it's good podcasts even for your kind of outsider on cycling, Like I'm a fan, but I listen to it and I learn a lot and listen.
Speaker 2: That's what I try to bring to the table is to make sure it stays at a level where more of a passive fan can actually follow and learn the sport. Yeah, because if you just talk like a total insider, you're just you know, like you you played a lot of rugby and you know, like a lot of Americans don't understand some of the dynamics.
Speaker 3: And so it's if.
Speaker 2: You explain it, you turn people into a fan pretty exactly.
Speaker 1: And that's what your podcast has done. It's really good. So here's something. Now keep in mind it's a different time in nineteen eighty, but there's something going up for auction that they're thinking is going to bring about a half a million dollars. And it is the pair of Calvin Klein jeans that Brooks Shields. Brooks Shields was wearing in the iconic ad by the way, Might I add she was fifteen years old when she did that, and her line was, you want to know what comes between me and Mike Calvin's nothing.
Speaker 3: Again, it was a different time in nineteen eighty.
Speaker 2: Topless in that photo too, right, I believe I mean covering herself.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, like you said, she was fifteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they are auctioning those off and they say that that pair of jeans will bring about a half a million dollars. There's three of them, by the way. She donated one to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the other two one is now available for auction, and the the from bombshells to blasters in auction, you can't refuse. Auction's going to take place over two weekends in September, and she's also making a her script from the Blue Lagoon and her high school cheerleading sweater. Some creepy guys out there are going to be buying this stuff.
Speaker 2: I'm just so much great, by the way, not that I mean I just if you, if you were Maya, you grew up with a crush on her, did you?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Absolutely? Oh yeah, right right, Well I didn't know she was fifteen though. When I was twelve, I would have thought I had a legit shot at I thought she was like twenty five or something, right, I didn't know.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm pulling up the photo. She wasn't topless. It was just unbuttoned a bit. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a million dollars, Yeah, prepaired jeans. Yeah, someone will buy them pieces culture history. I mean, people, it's weird what they auctioned off. The weirdest one lately was the chicken Las Vegas that had Prince Harry's underpants. It was underwear, and she she's sat on it for like four years, five years whatever, and auction it off and she got like two hundred and fifty thousand dollars, Like.
Speaker 3: Prove it, you know what I mean. That's so silly. I know it's pretty desperate, isn't it. Yeah, that's what I think, so I don't either.
Speaker 1: Hey it's Sandy. Thank you very much for listening. Another episode should start in just a second, but a quick reminder. Check us out every morning on the radio six am to ten am on Austin's eighty station one oh three point one, and you can stream us. If your radio doesn't pick up the signal, stream us on the iHeartRadio app just search one oh three point one Austin