Speaker 1: Fraud abuse. They're looking for it.
Speaker 2: Ever been wasted for an abuse? Don't just find a things, find out.
Speaker 3: All about it. On fifty five krc the talk station, just I MADO five. You're a fitty five KRCD talk station. Happy Thursday. My next guest her name Mary Greybar. She's a Resident Fellow of the Alexander.
Speaker 4: Hamilton Institute for the Study of Western Civilization and the founder of I Love this organization of the organization, the Dissident prof Education Project, taught to college level for twenty years, most recently at Emory University. Or work has been published by the Federalist town Hall, Front Page Magazine, City Journal, American Greatness, and Academic Questions. And she's written a book we're talking about today, Debunking FDR, The Man and the Myths. Welcome to the fifty five KRSE Morning Show. Mary, it's a pleasure to have you on this morning.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, it's great to be here.
Speaker 4: When I think of FDR, I first think of my grandfather, who was a lifelong Democrat, because FDR gave him a job when he was a tea major in the Civilian Conservation Corps and that was enough to win over his long lifelong support for the Democrat Party, even though he was voting for the indefensible.
Speaker 1: Quite often.
Speaker 4: We used to get in political arguments when I was younger. But God rest his soul. But he also was the father of term limits. We're bringing about the twenty second amendment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I've heard of others, you know, who had warm failings for FDR. Because of the Civilian Conservation Corps, people were very desperate, and so that was part of his strategy, was to give things to people who were suffering under the depression. I mean, it wasn't from his personal fortune. It was from taxpayers. And then to seem like, you know, the magnificent leader. Yes, and so you know, you have those emotional resonances and they'll exist and it's passed on, you know. I mean some people can understand while this was part of a strategy, but others think, you know, well we need to continue with that kind of program.
Speaker 4: Well, people easily refer to him in such awe was his great or all. He was a great guy. He got us we won World War Two. He got us out of the Great Depression, and perhaps maybe we got out of the Great Depression because of World War Two. I've always kind of looked at it that way. It put a lot of people to work in the defense industry, and it put a lot of people overseas fighting wars, and that in large parts help us, helped us turn around the country, didn't it.
Speaker 2: Well, Yeah, and it's a little deceptive because you know, you had, you know, millions of working age men who were fighting overseas, so those unemployment figures were deceptive. It wasn't really until after the war that the economy rebounded, so, you know, and a lot of people at the time, you know, leading up to the war, we're thinking, you know, he's such a failure. I mean, the economy is still so bad, you know, twenty percent unemployment, and hey, maybe he's thinking of war to get us out of this mess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Europe, of course, that's what there is, go ahead.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, Oh yeah, I mean that's what a lot of the critics were saying, you know at the time.
Speaker 4: Yes, and you know, the United States remained completely unscathed, so the rest of the industrial complex around the world, you pretty much bombed out mess of all of Europe and in England. So we seem to be the recipients of a lot of business potential and opportunity because the rest of the world still needed goods.
Speaker 2: Yes, And it was the same thing, you know, after World War One, So you had the industrialists, the manufacturers, you know, rebuilding Europe. Yeah. And the thing was, you know, the war could have been ended a couple of years sooner, according to many historians. But you know, Franklin Roosevelt, this is one of the things I point out as I go through his early history and his early political career. He just had this hatred of Germans. And I'm not talking just about Nazis. I'm talking about your you know, your ethnic German And he would not consider you know, having an agreement and you know, ceasing fighting even though there were uh, you know, Germans resisting Hitler at the time. He insisted on unconditional surrender. He wanted to make Germany completely pastoral, wipe out all industry, divided up into different segments, and make her completely powerless.
Speaker 4: My understanding he had he was in thrall of Stalin and I mostly remember FDR along lines of the guy that sold out Eastern Europe at Yalta. So did I mean, did he not cave in or capitulate the Stalin at Yalta in giving up the European of the Eastern European countries and turning them into communist nations.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, And that happened even before a Tehran And you know, he was infatuated with Stalin. Anything Stalin wanted, you know, FDR was like this defrauded lover, you know, appealing to him. I mean he had so many opportunities, you know, you know, with lens lease and supplying you know, military equipment and food and everything else to you know, rein him in, but he never did. I mean, he was an absolutely awful negotiator, and he carved up Poland and told him you know, but I can't announce this. And after the election in nineteen forty, because you know, American polls were voters and he wanted them to vote for him, and they were you know, pretty solidly Democrats.
Speaker 4: Well, did he also have a hatred for Japan because he is famous for rounding up Japanese American citizens. Most only one of my dad's friends, who was a very young child at the time, ended up in an internment camp. They lost their house and we're we're in a camp. I mean that that to me is like, I mean, one of the bigger human rights abuses that have ever been conducted by a president.
Speaker 2: Well, and he also did that to Germans, you know, Germans who lived here in the United States. You know, there was no due process of you know, if someone heard a neighborhood someone speaking German or getting German publications, they were put under suspicion. I mean, there was no due process. And they were also interns. But yes, Roosevelt did hate the Japanese. He had a soft spot for the Chinese because and he'd never been to China, although he you know, claimed to be an expert on China, but it was because his grandfather made his fortune by pushing opium in China and he thought that Japanese. Yeah, yeah, I go into that quite a bit. And he always denied it in history. A lot of historians have downplayed it or outright denied it. But yeah, he was an opium pusher. How about push.
Speaker 1: This is the first time I've ever heard that.
Speaker 4: We always hear the stories about the Kennedy family making money off prohibition.
Speaker 1: But I was not aware of that history. That's that's frightening, yes.
Speaker 2: And it's been suppressed for a long time, and I go into quite a bit of detail about it in my book. And you know, on the point of the Japanese even before he was inaugurated, he told you know, his future cabinet members that you know, he foresaw war with Japan. So this is you know, in nineteen early nineteen thirty three. He was inaugurated in March. Of course.
Speaker 4: Wow, but there have been rumors swirling for years that maybe he even knew about the impending and bombing of Pearl Harbor.
Speaker 1: Is there any truth to that notion?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know if that will ever be proven because a lot of the records have been destroyed and he did not keep diaries. But he did tell Admiral Richardson, James O. Richardson, that he would not remove the fleet from Hawaii. Richardson said, you know, they're vulnerable. So he said, I can't do this in an election years nineteen forty, So he, you know, put Richardson in a different spot and put in Kimmel, who was more you know, agreeable, And so he was warned about that, and he was trying to provoke war. I mean, you know, as I point out in an article that I had published recently, also, you know, when he and Churchill met at place Antia Bay, he said, you know, I am going to provoke war. I want to have a provocation. I want an incident. He was hoping that it would be around the Philippines. You know, he didn't think that the Japanese were smart enough to send such a bombing mission. You know that, you know, destroyed the fleet and killed almost three thousand men. But they were you know, he thought that the Japanese were sneaky and not very smart.
Speaker 4: Well, I know he's perceived as this, you know, champion of the working crass and a class in the press. Obviously, he had a great depression to campaign on along those lines. I suppose the failure of the Hoover administration helped him. But what was his driving motivation? Is it just simply a typical politician power struggle and wanting to be a powerful, controlling man.
Speaker 2: Yes, he wanted to be a dictator. He was called a dictator when he was first inaugurated. Some people said, we need a dictator to get us out of the depression. But his ambition from the time he was a boy, or at least a freshman at Harvard, as he told a girlfriend or he hoped would be his girlfriend, that he thought he would be president. And he followed in the footsteps of his cousin, his distant cousin, Theodore Roosevelt, and you know, planned out his political path of you know, one a seat to the New York State Senate, then became assistant Secretary of the Navy, just like you know, t R. Was ran for vice president with Knox, with Cox, I'm sorry, and you know then of course came down with polio. And but he did, you know, when the governorship served two terms, and you know, he was looking for an opportunity. A lot of people think he was just you know, floundering around, well meaning during the depression. But as I point out from a speech that he gave at the People's Forum in Troy, New York in March nineteen twelve, he believed that the Founding Fathers had it a little wrong. They wanted independence, but what they really wanted was cooperation and interdependence. And he already was talking about the compulsory programs that he would set up in the New Deal. So this is nineteen twelve.
Speaker 4: Well, was he a fan of the Woodrow Wilson style government? You know, dictatorial from top down, and you know, the the government of experts dictating the terms of conditions of our lives.
Speaker 1: Is that his mold.
Speaker 2: A little bit. He was not a great reader or a student, you know, he was, you know, living in that milieu of progressivism. I don't think he consciously followed Woodrow Wilson's program, but they coincidentally matched because Franklin Roosevelt, you know, grew up in the Hudson Valley and the kind of feudalistic system he thought of himself as, you know, being sort of lord of the nation, and that top down system you know, aligns with progressivism. Yes, so he had these kind of vague notions. But and he you know, he did see himself as being powerful, more powerful than the other two branches of government.
Speaker 4: Well, and I guess I have to ask, because you know, mister Fireside, Chad Fdr. Everybody's like sort of grandfatherly figure offering us, you know, comfort and solace in our in our difficult times. Excuse me, ma'am, what was he really like behind the scenes. Was he that you know, decent, reasonable guy or was he kind of boil it down as there was he kind of a jerk because a lot of people's public persona is not the way they really run the run the ship.
Speaker 2: That's right. Yes, he was a master of the radio. That was a new medium. That was you know, and so was Mussolini. But I quote extensively from a fellow Grouten student, Francis Biddle, who became his attorney general ultimately, and he writes about what he would do to the people closest to him. He had a way of catching them when they were most vulnerable and then sort of attacking them with something that was very hurtful, and he had pleasure in doing that. There's something sadistic about him, and even I don't know if you know, I'm not a psychologist, but when he was a boy, he wrote this letter to one of his governesses about how he liked to watch squirrels die after he shot them.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it sounds Jeff damer esque.
Speaker 2: I know, it's it's yeah. There was definitely a mean streak, and he really was impervious to people's suffering. He was very callous. He's yeah, yeah, he sent this maybe lieutenant on a He wanted to send him on a suicide mission to provoke the Japanese and you know, given given what I've discovered about his early life and his pre presidential career, that sounds, you know, like it would be true. I mean, that was his character.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm sure there's a DSM diagnosis for somewhere in there. Without question. Name of the book, Debunking FDR the Man in the my guest today, Mary Grevart. Mary, we put your book on my blog page fifty five cars dot com so my listeners can easily get a copy learn about the realities of FDR rather than the myths and legends we've been fed all these years. Mary, It's been an interesting conversation. It's a wonderful book, and I know my listener is going to really enjoy reading it. And I can't thank you enough for the time he's spoke my listeners today, just scratching the surface of the man who is or was FDR.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you for having me. It's been a pleasure.
Speaker 4: It's been my pleasure too. You take care and have a wonderful week. It's eight twenty right now, folks. If you have krs DE talk station cover Sincy and you know, folks, it's not just the Greater Cincinnati area for cover Sincy. It is nationwide and it is them acting as your broker.
Speaker 1: They are working for you.
Speaker 4: When it comes to medical insurance, they will they plug the holes in the bucket. As John Roman has explained to me, you know, your regular insurance policy has got a lot of holes in it. You're not covered in a whole lot of respects. They work with hundreds of insurance companies, thousands of different policies, and those different policies work to plug all those holes. Up front coverage for your regular medical services. You got catastrophic coverage if you end up in a hospital. Accident coverage. Everybody has accidents and you never know when it's gonna happen. They make sure you're covered across the board and ultimately, and it's as impossible to believe. You have better medical coverage for less money, and they'll explain it to you in Gloria's detail. They look specifically at you where you are in your life. For example, do you to ensure your entire family? Are you single and solo starting out your career. If you're a small business, he can improve your business's bottom line while getting your employees insured happily insured, because it's going to be a policy that they can actually afford, and we'll provide them coverage. It's an amazing concept, isn't it so? Anywhere you happen to be. If you're listening to me, like my friend Mississippi James, or New Hampshire Garrett, or even of course in the greater Cincinnati year go to coversincey dot com. Fill the format, get the ball rolling, no obligation to you. You'll take a look at your specifics and come up with the package of insurance which is going to be better than what you got for less money. And therein is the bottom line. Cover sency dot com or call um up five one three eight hundred call five one three eight hundred two two five five