Speaker 1: In a world where fairways meet the airwaves, where Bertie's and Banker collide. Welcome to the show that takes you beyond the clubhouse and onto the green. There's Balls and T's your passport to the golfing universe where every swing tells the story and every part has its punchline. Get ready to step onto the large screens and dive into the world of diveds, drives and delightful better the Magician.
Speaker 2: Alright, ladies and gentlemen, it is yet another Wednesday evening and you are chilling here with the one and only Tony Tone, the Magician, the ball with the Lord of Flow. I am a classic man, and ladies and gentlemen, for those who have been following us from the get go, I just want to say thank you for those who've just joined us and stumbled upon us. Listen, work come to Balls and is the only relevant podcast when it comes to golf talk, Ladies and gentlemen. Today is gonna be an amazing, amazing show because we've got an expect when it comes to everything that has to do with golf, whether it be the journalism part, whether it be the equipment part. And I can definitely assure you that this lady has played golf for most of her life. But without even spoiling the bin. I just want to say, you know what to do before we get into the show, because it's gonna get heated. You just need to get yourself that ice cold water. I know it's raining, and how thing, guys, it's been raining since weekend and it's not stopping. It's just been continuously raining. Please make sure that you keep warm, take a lot of vitamins, if you go to the gym, make sure that you are doing the right thing. But today we are about to hit things up and make sure that everything everything around you tends hot. Because we've got the best, the best of the best, as I said, So go ahead, get yourself the glass of water, and then now we'll be back in two minutes. We will then get into the show. I'll catch you.
Speaker 1: Now in a world where fairways meet the airwaves, where Birdie's and Banker collide. Welcome to the show that takes you beyond the clubhouse and onto the green. This is Balls, and t's your passport to the golfing universe, where every swing tells the story and every part has its punchline. Get ready to step onto the last greens and dive into the world of diveds drives and delightful better the magician.
Speaker 2: All right, ladies and gentlemen, come back. As I said, you are here and it's the only relevant podcast when it comes to golf talk and today, ladies and gentlemen, I'm excited. I am so ecstatic because let me give you a bit of background. So I started playing golf in two thousand and two, and that was through the South African Golf Development bought and when I got there, once in a while we would get a little gazette, I don't want to say a newspaper, say a gazette called Tea to Green and I enjoyed reading it so much because it had the latest news, it had the latest equipment, and there were articles where they would give tips on how to actually improve particular or certain aspects of your game. So, without any furthereral you, ladies and gentlemen, please allow me to welcome the co founder of Tea to Green, Lean Jones Lean. How did you today?
Speaker 3: Oh, hello, Tony, I'm excing me. Well, thank you, just part the weather and I wasn't sure you were talking about me and I thought you had another guest on the show. Thank you for that. Well.
Speaker 2: I tried my best, but I don't think I actually did justice to your name. If you don't mind, would you mind reintroducing yourself in the pomena and just let our audience know executly who you are and how do you find yourself within the golfing.
Speaker 3: Space, Tony Well. In nineteen ninety seven, we launched a little publication called tea Degree in My Name is Lynn Jones. I co founded it with my husband Ellen Jones. Actually was Ellen's idea, and I remember him coming home the one day and saying, I think we should do a newsletter and I was like, what on earth do we know? Ellen's marketing, sales, sales accounting, And I said, no, no, no, I think we can. And it was probably the best decision we ever made in our life. It was, it really was. It was wonderful. We launched in July nineteen ninety seven. Ernie Else kindly won the British Open that month and so our next cover was you know who else but Else?
Speaker 2: So it was a.
Speaker 3: I think it was an indication of how the publication was going to go. It was fabulous. It saved my life when we sold it, because it really wasn't. It moved us from Durban after Joba because it had grown so much and as you know, most of the industry is in Jobac. But it was just fantastic, It really was. And we spent many, many, happy, you know years in the golf industry and we haven't really been out except in just in the last couple of years, you know, after COVID and that we don't no longer do a publication. But Te Degreen wasn't. It was something very special and for two really heck golfers, I can't call ourselves anything more than that to you know, start a publication. But we had unbelievable support. We had the best journalists, we had the most wonderful people that supported us, and we were you know, even a sunshine to at that stage used to advertised with us. It was brilliant and obviously golf development was open, was just starting, and we were privileged enough to be at the start of the blossoming of golf. It really was an amazing.
Speaker 2: Time, awesome, awesome, awesome ladies and gentlemen. I hope you got that, because Joe, we're just going to dive into this conversation because I just want to understand, I mean, what inspired you guys. You did mention that it was your husband's idea, But before then, were you guys golfst or was it just something out of the loop.
Speaker 3: No, we did. We did play golf. We were members of Royal Durban Golf Club and Durban Country Club, and we were at golfers. We spent a lot of time at the golf club and even to the stage where because my husband came from the you know, hotel industry and that and did promotions, we used to do quite a lot of sponsoring at wellhen let's say, sponsoring eating sponsors for golf days. And we loved it. And it was actually, you know, in the old days it was called in a tell it was an hotel what do you call it? Golf golf association. Ronnie Ruy who kind of my husband and said, you know, why didn't you do a newsletter? And Alan had jumped on it. I actually think he was a frustrated journalist. He loved writing and he used to always do you know, from the keeping up of the Joneses, and he loved it. We loved it, Tonney. It was. It was really it was so special. And you know, we have this belief that when you do something that you're passionate about, it's shute through so people who chase money, and that it's it's really just money comes when you when you doing what you love and people see it and they appreciate it and and things to get from there, you know. And now I have a I have a new love, you know, balls and tees. It sounds. It's so exciting to be in build and I'm so grateful to you guys for bringing me on board and and alignment to be a part of you. And I'm BELI.
Speaker 2: Exciting, awesome, awesome, awesome, And you know you can just hear it in my voice how excited I am, because I mean, if there's anything I always talk about is timing. Timing. I mean, if we look at the way you started with Tea to Green, I think that was the epitome of South Africa's sclope where I don't want to see legends because I believe a legend is someone who's passed on. So I would say the soon to be legends people like or any else. With thief Hosen, they were very, very dominant in the international golf in space, and what a perfect time for you guys to have started to green. Everyone had their eyes on these two champions, and we just wanted to know every single thing about where they're playing, how they played, what clubs are they using. We we actually wanted to replicate what's in their bags, to say, Okay, if any else is playing with titlists, everybody wants to play with titlists. If the Difficaulsion is using tailormate, everybody wants to use tailormate. So I just want to say the timing that at that point in time was perfect. But to add on to what you said about balls and teas coming through and saying lean please, we need you, I have to say there's no better time.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm going to say I agree with you only because I am so passionate. Again, you know, I think it took me a bit of time to sort of move forward. You know, we very much. We loved our hard copy because there was nothing more joyful for us than when we used to walk into a pass giving room or a bar after golf, you know, and there were people coming through with a cooky of teams green under their arms, or you know, and then they sit down and read it and we would be yeah, you know, that's it. Never tired. We never got tired of that. And now I'm going to be so happy if I people talking about you know, balls and teas and what we discussed and what we should be discussing, because that's one of the things you always get feedback from from the people, and that's very welcomed and it really does help, you know, ensure that our publication and now the podcast will be what the people want to hear and they'll feel a part of it, you know. And I think that's what it's about, showing people that you care about them. We're passionate about golf. It's not just a job for us. It's something that we really really interested in them love. Although sometimes I hate that you play like a little too uh. At one stage, I wasn't such a bad golfer, but then we get invitity these programs and I'd play like an absolute beginner, you know, because I would be like, I'm going to always up and play and end up playing like an idiot. And then you get up and you think, oh I wish I hadn't been there. Oh gosh, you know, if you'd want to blot out what you what all the nonsense you played before, But it's wonderful and it's those beautiful golf courses, you know, the fresh a it's something very special and the camaraderie. You know the fact that you've got three other people that you normally getting on really well with and you've got a common interest in that you try to do your best and if you lucky, you're gonna win. If you don't, well that's not so bad either because we've had a great day art. But it's got everything, you know, it's it's got everything.
Speaker 2: And just to ask you a question, and I mean you mentioned that you guys are from the case then and I mean since nineteen ninety seven, you've seen the landscape of golf change throughout the years in South Africa and most particularly coming from the coastal to England. What would you say has been the biggest change so far or the biggest challenge when it comes to transitioning from obviously living in the coastal space and there's not a lot of golf courses as compared to Houting, and then you're move into Houting where this is the so called heart of South Africa where there's multiple golf courses, the environment, the scenery, the energy is totally different from CASA. And how was it to actually adjust and especially if when you were writing a publication about golf, if you look at where you were you were staying and where you actually stayed, how how different was it?
Speaker 3: Well, the first thing was, obviously, you know, the ball goes further and derviing, so we had to just wise. The second thing was, obviously we were used to the sea and and on some courses, and the towel obviously or you know in Durban you can hear it. If you don't see the sea, you can sometimes hear the roar of the surf. And we were on Job. Yeah, of course we heard routine and corse and but you know every golf course is beautiful and it is serene and it is a pleasure and you know, to play. And I actually needed no justine it all. I found. I loved Job, I really do. I found that, as you said, the far more courses here, the growth has been phenomenal. We were around in the days when you know when the golfers residential gold, you know what you can golf the States all started developing. So watched a lot of it too, you know, before I very are, so we've had a really a bird's eye view of a lot of what happened. But you write about you know, the Ernie ELS's and the chief persons, and that they really were the gentlemen of golf and they did STU proud. So incredible for us to be able to write about them. Not so much to me. I'm not a journalist. In fact, my writing is not my forte to be quite because amazing how they really are. But more on the publishing side, my writing will probably be more when we did our promotions and then I would write about that I was really involved in. But no, it's a very special industry to be in, the one that you can't get out of. I think once you get in you can't get out. It's a very special, you know, area to be in because as you know, golf is all about integrity and so being able to people who have the same or you know, are black manded and and it's it's a it's a it's a pleasure to be and as it really is. So yes, I couldn't be happy now and I'm a really and the latter to be associated and balls and tea. Thank you, that's.
Speaker 2: Awesome, awesome, you should actually see the smile on my face, Lane, like when you're talking about excitement. So something that I believe globally is underrated. Uh, And that's the social aspect of golf. I mean when when when people talk off a lot of people think, okay, it's just about hitting the ball, walking around, uh, seeing plants, trees and all those things, and then going back to the nineteenth hole, which is halfway house people socializing and just drinking. But I believe there's more, there's more to it. When we talk about the social aspects of gold, it can happen on the court and sometimes off the course. So what I'm trying to get to is that there's been a lot of disconnect when we're talking social golfing life or the socialization of golfing, where people have perceived gold to be at best a gentleman's game, or it should be regarded as a place where you can discuss business, but they fail to understand that people build relationships, people build friendships, Families are formed on the golf course or foxed on the golf course. Where individuals would meet just for a social setting on the golf course without even lifting a club. And with that being said, I would then presume that that also drives the economy around the golfing world. You'll correct me if I'm wrong there. If you look at the restaurants, if you look at the hospitality industry as a whole, to say, okay, people would go to the halfway House just to have lunch. As you said, there's a lot of golf estates, there's hotels and results that have golf courses on them, and people just like being out there in the open just to have a view of the scenery and just to relax without even playing. Now, these are some of the things that I believe are underrated. And from your side, as someone who's been exposed to this world of golf, I would like to get your opinions or your inputs around it, to say, how do you view it and what is it that you've actually come across over the years regarding that particular aspect.
Speaker 3: Well, Tony, I couldn't agree with you more. I think that golf is a business, a business generator, A business is done on the golf course. And you know, I was always said as well, if you are playing golf with the perspective client or a client, you always can to be able to see what they like. You know, you're got to see they've got a bad temper or what's going to happen, so you will get to understand your client very quickly. The one thing that we used to do is we used to do these accommodation promotions. So we went to Mauritius. We went very often to Champain's Balls resort, and we were people just book and come with us, and I would arrange the four balls and I would make sure that the first day you could choose your four ball, but the next two days I used to split them up. And you know, you used to watch people that didn't know each other from Adam, never met each other, become firm friends. And it was joyful. It was what we wanted. It was not only golf. It was absolutely that whole aspect of making new friends, relaxing, being taken to a beautiful place and then everyone goes home happy and you know, and you know, listen, we'll see you back in joy Well, we'll meet you in Durban. Gosh, We're going to come and see you, you know, and that's what's it's it's and that's what golf is about. And then also we had wonderful spot so it's like Global Golf. Joe Bartin was amazing. Very often she would join us, so she would you interact with who uses in users and it was very special. And yes, business is done on the golf course because you know, I hear sometimes from people, particularly people who are not golfers and they've maybe been to a golf day and they've sponsored and been in a hole and they go, now it's not last people not interested, and obviously there is, though I always try to explain to them that golfers are very different. You know, you've got to be careful how you catch and they maybe have a bad round or a very good round and don't know to be distracted or so it's kind of interacting with them and then utilizing the time after the golf as well to maybe follow up and things like that, because it really is a wonderful, wonderful platform to be able to present new products. I'm actually talking to New Perspective, two New Perspective sponsors for US and they and people becoming rand new into South Africa and this is a wonderful for them years. So you maybe join out some new arms and more soon. But I believe in the golf market completely, I really do. I think that's a fabulous I'm a great believer in face to face, uh you know, communication, and I think that the weak of the golfers are a wonderful platform to be able to interact with. So you're quite right with all of that. And the nineteenth totals where you seal your deal. You you know, you started out when you live it on the course and then it's all done and dusted when you when you complete. It's a fantastic avenue and we should explore that and maybe we will get involved in more of those of maybe away trips you know that there the falls and and things like that. And it's a very exciting charmer us again, so for me it's a birth of another baby, you know, and that's very exciting. So and I love the fact that I'm surrounded by all you wonderful young guys who know the golf industry so well, hadn't come from golf development as well, so you are the girl's roots of it. So a ptation, I mean, it's just fantastic and the fact that you are still here in golf now, you know, making a different difference with the podcast or congratulations to all of you and thank you for reading to.
Speaker 2: We really appreciate Linn. And I have to I have to ask you one question. You mentioned that the halfway house is where we seal the deal. Now I want to understand we do we just seal the deal when we get to the halfway house, or we wait for someone to have two three drinks before.
Speaker 3: We actually get the class, and until you have the two three drinks, maybe it's Yeah, as I said, I think I was pretty good at the ninety or probably not the fact that my family would like to But no, it's always fun because you're either celebrating your you know, your your great ground or commiserating but you played poorly, so there's always a reason to have that that a couple of losses a while, but and and comfortable. Our clubhouses, they are so wonderful. You spoke about the restaurants, and as you know, Wendy Alberts, you see the Restaurant Association is going to be a prison normal show, and she really is the Dane our restaurants an incredible She may not be a chef, you know, in trained, but she's an amazing mousing decorator and I can't wait for for you guys to be interacting with her as well. So there's a lot that we can do. And you you know, our golf courses have some beautiful restaurants, and when you will be able to offer support in terms of training, you know, for golf clubs that that would like to have their waiters you know, perhaps be trained. Because what we also need is we need the international golfers to come, you know and help us, and that's job creation and obviously they spending which is you know, revenue improvement, and but they will come with expectations. So when he is very able to do that. She has been nominated as you know, a part of a business Woman of the quite a few times. So she's a perfect person for us to be to be partnered with. And she also has a couple of small hotels guesthouses also a members of hers. But I think it's a very large platform, you know, having the publication. We know how important advertising and exposure is for a product. So there is a saying it says out of sight, out of mind, and that couldn't be more true. You have to keep your product in front of the people's eyes, you know, for them to one see it. But then also we sell our product as well, you know, we all have best salespeople and word of mouth. Certain it's the first best way, but the next best way is to be around talking to people and making sure that they keep seeing, you know, seeing your product. And we're going to be able to provide the facility for people and girlth clubs. What makes me go to one club compared to another is possibly someone who's to me or might also be at an event. But if you look in just again and have a social round of goal, what's going to attract you? I read about something or they've got a special or something like that. Yeah, hopefully we are going to be very instrumental in providing, you know, where people or determine where people are going to go and play their golf as well. So that's going to be exciting MEAs.
Speaker 2: All some stuff lean Before we proceed, I just need to say something I don't I don't think our audience understands what's happening, but I hope after what I say, they will understand what's happening because I just can't contain my excitement number one and number two, Like I said, I have to say this what a great time to be alive. And the reason I'm saying that is because there's anything about myself I like learning new things and to actually be acquainted with someone like yourself who has so much knowledge and experience within the space that I operate in. I believe that there's so much that I'll be learning from you. And obviously, like you said, it's a group of young lads who just want to continue promoting golf, whether it's social or on a professional level. We are more adaptable to changes, especially technology technological changes. Men, there's a time twister. But I'm looking forward to us working together and seeing how we can actually change the environment or the landscape of golf and take it to new heights. Alongside with all the partners that will be involved in our focus.
Speaker 3: Tony, I thank you, you know, I mean, you are the future, and I think the one thing that we gave to be use we going to be able to promote talent. We're going to be able to try and see who we see who are going to be the buddy in you know, and stars of the future, and that's really exciting as well. Although there is a pleathora of wonderful golfers out there, at the moment, we are very lucky. And yeah with you guys as well. I think I'm going to be learning from you because I'm the old school. But if I say, if there's one thing that we if we do something properly and we provide the information and you know the we all learn along the way from everything and nothing ever stays the same. You know, all we want is and people to play the game and love it as much as we do.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm going to ask you It's simple, but I think it's a pathetic question, but I will ask it to say, Okay, Lynn, you have played golf. I'm sure you have played in a number of golf days, but so far, what would you say was the most ridiculous amount you paid to play on a golf day? And why that golf days specifically?
Speaker 3: Wow? Well, you know I'm going to answer it in a really cowardly cowardly way. I'm going to say that the expensive rounds of golf are normally really good value for money when you break it down, because what you get and it's how you feel when you are there, because gold is an experience and it's not just arriving, jumping on the t box, slapping the ball around and coming off. And now it's that whole thing of how you greet it when you get to the club and how there's what's a service like? And then you go out to the golf course and your golf court is already there, and some instances your name is on it. You feel special, you know, and then you can play beautiful condition and it's a lovely day. So and if you play okay, you don't mind what you pay. You know, certainly you don't put fun fold with the amount that you paid. And I think that, yeah, you've got to experience all of this and some obviously sometimes it would be nice if green fees in that were a lot cheaper, but the reality is more costly to have a.
Speaker 2: Helean.
Speaker 3: I think prissing in golf is just unfortunately the fact that it is an expensive game, but there is there are so many people who are trying to make it more affordable for everyone, because it's something that everyone shouldn't It shouldn't only be for for people who who you know, have the means so, and while there are also a variety a white variety of golf courses with different rates as well, all have the appeal, you know. So golf is a game for everyone and I think it's fantastic and we need to keep trying to see how we can help, you know, because the bigger the feels it does mean then that the process can be a little bit more reasonable as well. So you can fillce on feels and generate a cheaper green fee for that, then that would be helping, you know as well, because it's better to have a hundred people that one hundred brand than ten people b that more people eating and drinking there, and it just makes better sense, you know, and then the spirit. So yeah, I'm sorry I took the cowards way out, but that is horses for courses, you know, and we need to in some places were just going to have to, you know, pay a bit more for no.
Speaker 2: And I wouldn't say it's a coward the way out. I think that the way you constructed your answer is the best way to actually answer it. And I'm sorryficaching, you've got there now. I want to fight, I want to find it. I mean, you've you've you've been like like I said, you've been in the space for so long, and most particularly around the literature. As you said you in your publication, there's a lot of topics that you guys covered. There's a lot of information that you guys disseminated. Now I just want to find out. Has someone ever approached you and said, listen, lean last week or last month. I read the few tips that you actually put in tea to green and I've implemented them on the golf course and I'm shooting better sports. Has anything like that ever happened to you?
Speaker 3: Yes, Tony, you want of the things that used to happen to us. I mean, it was the most wonderful. Having a publication is really amazing. People come up to you with all kinds of also to help you. They think that what we should be doing. But yes, they commented on everything publication with it was a photograph in fact, you know, if we used to I remember particularly we had some ads for EPHO your golfer state, and I got a from my lady and she said, my husband plays golf and he brings your publication home and I read it. Please tell me where is your you know, I could tell her, but that's so amazing. We had non golfers read the publication as well, not just the golfers, and loved it, you know. And one of the best things as well is that, so I'm so excited about balls and teas as well, and the fact that we're going to be you know, it's love and we've got the cameras, it's people. It's lovely to show people their faces there, you know that moving that's going to be very special. It's it just elevates that publication to another level of that and that is very much more personal, you know. And I think the fact for me people and making it more accessible, I think that's very exciting. And I can't wait for the feedback from there as well. Possibly going to be something like did you really have to form me from that angle or whatever it might some of the things might be a little bit different, but no, we honestly, we had feedback constantly. We had lovely letters. People loved our contributors. It's but what's not to love, you know. We have an amazing golfer in South Africa with the most amazing people. They are so talented and Molnire golfers but our journals and and you know, the golfer say the sunshine to the amount of tournaments that have been a it's fantastic. So it's it's really is brilliant and and I'm actually an answer to be a part of it, and I should say still a part of it after all these years.
Speaker 2: Definitely, Lynn, let let's go for a two minute break and then when we come back, I'll be dreading you more and more questions, but I'll definitely make sure that I do not catch you of God. But for the most of the second part of our episode, we will be talking abouts and ties. We'll be talking about how we're going to take golf to new heights in the next coming years, looking forward. Awesome. Awesome, So let's go get a refreshment and an intimate stum. We will be back.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Keny.
Speaker 2: Awesome.
Speaker 4: Invisible Ink Consulting your gateway to financial success. We specialize in providing the best solutions to manage your finance and accounting, ensuring a better life for you and your business. Our expert team offers top notch accounting and tax consulting services tailored to various industries, including, but not limited to, engineering, medical, practitioners in construction, nonprofits, events management, attorneys and financial services experience the power of our best analytics, backed by a commitment to our clients and a high level of knowledge. And Invisible Ink Consulting, we strive to deliver the best service you can get, making your financial journey seamless and rewarding. Choose Invisible Ink Consulting for a brighter financial future. Your success our priority. Please do and that's at www dot invisiblelink, dot co, dot Sea, torichs www dot invisiblelink, dot co dot Set.
Speaker 1: In a world where fairways meet the airwaves, where Bertie's and banker collide. Welcome to the show that takes you beyond the clubhouse and onto the green. There's balls, and t's your passport to the golfing universe, where every swing tells the story and every part has its punchline. Get ready to step onto the last greens and dive into the world of divids, drives and delightful better.
Speaker 4: The magician.
Speaker 2: All right, ladies and gentlemen, thank you for staying around. And as you know, this is the one only Tony to the Magician the ball with a lot of player. I am a classic man I'm a classic man because I play golf. I don't know about you, but ladies and gentlemen, thank you for staying tuned. As I said, today, we've got a special guest, Lynn Jones, the co founder of Tea to Green and guess what, the new member of Balls and Teas and Men am I so excited because nothing can substitute experience and all the wisdom.
Speaker 3: That she has.
Speaker 2: I get to sit next to her and say, Len, I want to find out how do you do this in this space? And she gets to say, Tony, listen, let's talk about the podcast. How do you do this? When it gets to this, So, ladies and gentlemen, without wasting any more time, I just want to welcome Lian back. Lynn. Are you still with us? I'm still going turning awesome stuff. Linn. This is the second segment, and I have to say I just can't get the smile off my face, like every time I say your name, like, oh yeah, and tees.
Speaker 3: I love the small affairs.
Speaker 2: Now now, Lena, as I said, I will be coming at you with a lot of questions and uh, but they're not difficult. I just want us to to chat about balls and ties to say, okay, if you were to look at the landscape of media around golf, whether it be publications, whether it be broadcast, if you were to look at it now and compare to the time where you started your first publication in golf, what would you has changed and what would you say has actually stayed the same around that that landscape.
Speaker 3: Well, when we got into golf, they were literally two other publications Complete Golf Friend Golf Digest in Ourselves and then over because of boom. You know, golf was booming, a lot of other publications tried to come in but then fell by the wayside. And nowadays, obviously the number of publications go publications has diminished again. You've got a couple of online ones now a few of them. But obviously podcasts now is the way to go. It is a new modern, interactive way. And I have to say I love the immediacy of I'm not a huge social media fan, but what I do love is the fact that we can talk to people immediately. You know, Tea Green was a month in publication, so you stepped away four or five weeks before, depending on how many weeks in a month for us to go to Prince and the day and everything, so we always had to watch, you know, the events because as you said in the introduction, we always tried to make sure we're freshen up to date, so we would be We normally went to print on a Monday, and we would make sure that we cover tournaments that ended on that Sunday. Because of that, the time you printed it and it's got out, whereas nowadays you've got we can put things out instantly and that's absolutely fantastic. And say in the Sunshine to they feed a lot of articles, you know, which is brilliant, so it makes it also a lot easier. So yeah, that I think that is the difference. A lot of podcasts probably a lot easier and a little less expensive as well than a than printing. But obviously also you know, people have gone off the hard print now. Personally must I like the hot Friends. I love the smell when when the publication used to arrive, you could smell it, you know, it was it was just brilliant and you could read it easily as well as an older person quite hard and you're trying to read it on your phone or your laptop or something like that, even on the screen. I love the publication. But I suppose, and you've done something for so long, sometimes it's a little bit hard to change, even though you should. But yeah, I thinks that's been in the change which was inhibitable.
Speaker 2: Undred percent, And I have to I have to just build up on what you said, because change is a very scary transition for most people. But we also need to bear in mind as people to say that for as much as we want change and adapting to change, it's not usually as easy as we would want it to be. And sometimes, obviously there needs to be a bridge between to say, okay, let's say let's talk about bows and tis. For instance, if we look at bos and Teas, it's mainly digital, and if we look at Titu Green, it was more of a print media. It was very physical. So isn't there a way in which the old school and the new school can actually get together and be, like, you know what, let's form some in that can work without taking away the the relevance of either one of the tools.
Speaker 3: I definitely think so. I mean, you know, you still have your hard copy of publications. I think all of the day it's the prising that determines all something stays or goes. Obviously, nowadays there's a lot of competition for ad spend and you need to be able to do a good job, so you know, you can't cut corners. You need to have best of writers, et cetera. So that's very important. I think, particularly on golf, that is probably the one sport where a hard copy still has relevance. If you've got the budget on your golfers, you like it. You know, you still have your slightly older person who you know, we need our glasses and that. So it's quite nice to and it was. It was something very special about being able to pick up a copy as you you know, went into the plask giving room or into the bar to during your fourball, you know, or the last There is something in that. And one of the great things about it, and I am in the sitting in the past at the moment, was because we used to do the promotions, the fact that someone in the four ball would have a copy of the tea you know, Tea to Green they would then see the ad oh should we go? You know, it kind of created and I think one of the for me, one of the hardest things is always giving a four ball you oh gosh, who should you know? Whereas with you sitting together and you say, come on, let's all go and do this, it's really easy. So it happened, belief. But you know, we talk about the podcast now and I think that's our hard copy now. You know, that is our future. It's it's import and it's even better because we can communicate. You know, people can talk and you can hear them, and that's even better than the written word. It's nice to hear. So yeah, I'm really happy with that, I must say, and you're quite right, I am going to say, how on earth do you guys do that? You are really clear? Because it is it's impressing. But I think that is wonderful and I believe wholeheartedly in the in the podcast now and particularly particularly Balls and Tees. So I'm looking I'm looking forward to that because you are going to be teaching me and that's going to be fantastic. I'm probably going to approve it. Holli Blage. You're never too old to learn.
Speaker 2: Now, Yeah, I believe. I believe that, Like you said, you're never too old to learn. But at the same time, there's no substitute for experience now, lean, I just want to find out, I mean, your your own personal opinion, your take on social media and the pety tests in the golfing industry. Do you think it is actually helping the industry or do you do you sometimes feel like it's taken away from the notion of the classic way or the classic way of playing golf and the etiquetde of gold because I've seen videos where people actually play golf in genes on social media, and for someone like me who really believes in the classic feel and the etiquette of golf, I believe they're just taking a bit away from golf. I'm not quite sure about the overall behavior or the overall conduct therefore, so I just want to find out your your opinion around social media and golf. Do you think there's a disconnect or do you think due to the way that the world is moving or the pace that the world is moving, there will always be these kind of challenges and we just have to make sure that we educate people.
Speaker 3: I think turning. I'm a traditionist. I love golf. I love the rules, I love the fact you have your captains, and you know, I love everything about golf like that. It really is a dignified sport. But having said that, we have to move with the times, and it's also important for golf clubs to survive, and people nowadays have different requirements and so someone has to listen to them to survive. For someone who only started golf perhaps five six years ago, you know, they weren't experienced what we experienced back in the nineteen nineties, and there were it was a lot stricter. And yet you know, I never well you can always say, I mean, I've started golf when ladies were really not all that welcome on the golf course. You know, they were not used to seeing us, so a little bit different then. But at the same time, you know, you have to expect. We weren't stopped playing golf. We just couldn't play on certain days. And then that all which was actually a good thing just in terms of because ladies who work couldn't play mid week and so therefore now that we'll be able to play on the weekend. So it was progress. But everything that is done has been done a thing for the right reasons, and it's correct, and it has ensured that golf has survived and not only sabout but wasn't and that's ultimately, you know, the objective of everything. It would be nice. I don't like people in T shirts and slops at golf and golf clubs, in the clubhouses, because there was a time when you know, you walk jacket and taros to pross into the men and we all used to dress up, you know, and change and I love that, you know, but that's again going back to the dark ages. So no, I think progress sometimes you have to move with it no matter you know, no matter what, at the end of the day, there is the result is what counts, and I think that the results is being very positive. Some of the golf clubs aregreeming and it's all because families have been included and actually caterd to and that's very important. I think that's that's growing the game and the memberships substantially in the old day. Yeah awesome.
Speaker 2: And and and just to just to follow up question on that, Lena mean we we we just spoke about the eduquide the traditional aspect of golf and social media. Now I want to find out from you personally, if you were to have your own golf course, what's the one feature you actually incorporate in your golf course, just to make sure that you stand out and your golf course is unique from the rest of all the golf courses.
Speaker 3: What a great question. Well, I think when you stand on a clubhouse is terrace and you look out of course, there's nothing more beautiful. You know, it's tranquil, it's a picturesque. So ensuring that your clubhouse has a as a lot of most of our golf courses do have. Your your clubhouse has this view, this panoramic view where such an advantage for clubs where you can you know, see the eighth and sorry, the ninth and eighteenth greens. I think that's great because you can want to change, you can see the halfway and that's very exciting. So that's a big class. Yeah. And obviously the comfort you know when you're come in after golf, that's that's also very important for me. I think, you know, being able to particularly in business, because if you're inviting clients to come and play your prospective, you know clans, it's nice to be able to offer them with a loving meal afterwards, we are well catered for and you know your one is nasty child, et cetera. I think that's a very nice add on and that is very much the restaurant's side. We really comes in as well, you know, so that we were exciting to hear who's side, and then also to hear not just the golf a tool. Now we're going to have the restaurant and what's going on there, and you know how things are progressing or what the problems are, because obviously there's always something that has to be attended to, and that's going to make it more interesting for the golfers as well. We say we business people, you know a lot of business people, and now we're incorporating more into our show, and I think that's going to be very exciting.
Speaker 2: Awesome, awesome man.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 2: You know, if there's anything that I would actually put in my golf course, if I if I had a golf course, or if I had an opportunity to on a golf course, I think I put a podcast, incorporate a podcast. I want to hear people's views because, like you said, this spot is the most irritating spot that I've played personally, because from the fair I go through a tumel of emotions and I see a lot of things on the gold course. So I would actually like people to express themselves, to say this is how I felt before playing, this is how I feel while playing, and then this is how I feel after playing, and just to summarize everything and summarize people's experiences, and also to make sure that whoever is new in the golf course or whoever wants membership in the golf course can actually understand what goes on in the golf course. I don't know if that makes sense.
Speaker 3: No, I think, haypantastic would that be? You probably have to do a lot of the bleeping after their rounds, you know, it's fantastic. And I mean that's the thing as well. The clubs and track managers and their committees, they really have to try listen to their members as well, because you know they have they do provide inputs. Sometimes it's not possible, but you have to listen to anything. You know, if you listen to other people, you can grow, you know, because not we don't always have the best ideas. I know I don't, but you find a collaboration with really well. So I believe in teams. I love that. I'm a great believer in networking and that's very important. But you know, the communication is the name of the game. And so it was wonderful when we have the publication, and now as well, it will be even better because that's something that we have. I don't know if I'm speaking of a tune, but there's something that we're going to be doing love podcasts from you know, at golf days and things like that after so people will see all in action and you'll be able to communicate with them as well and get that real time response from them. You know, how is you around? Go away? Or you know, yeah, yeah, how long have you got so no. I think that's fantastic and very exciting and and and it makes us, you know, very approachable, and I think in terms of relationship building, I think it would be fantastic. You know, people will remember balls and tees for a long time.
Speaker 2: Awesome.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 2: Now you put a smell back on my face. What's gonna happen to me? I think to them, I'm gonna slip smiling.
Speaker 3: You're talking to me now.
Speaker 2: Now here's here's an interesting thing. Obviously, golf is we'll test someone's character and it's a game of integrity. So if anything that people who've never played golf need to understand is that you call yourself out. You don't. You don't just do things because no one is seeing you. You actually reprimand yourself when you're on the golf course. Now you've played golf so many times, you've attended gold there so many times. Have you seen someone's character, like the actual character being revealed on the golf course, whether they had the west they or the west shot ever, or whether they were cheating on the golf course. We don't have to mention the names, by the way, we don't even have to mention the particular golf course or the particular girth day. I'm just saying with regards to the whole integrity of the sports, have you seen instances where people totally lose it because of one small thing or one slight mistake and after doing so, have what was your engagement or interaction with them afterwards, whether the very same people that they were at that moment, or did you get to see a different side of them?
Speaker 3: Well, I can honestly tell you that it happened very seldom, you know, hardly ever, but there has been an occurrence. It had to be dealt with as well, and it's normally it's not unexpected, so your character does come out and people do know who you are, or a great strength of of playing golf with people, and you know, playing with our friends. I mean, you know, we we tend to play a lot with our friends because we know each other and we know that we're not going to encounter in the in the main. You know, it's all good and great, you know so, but I think no, people are lovely people and it's fun. Is a fantastic game. And and I think you know, if there were two people who were similar in a four wall, then you probably might find some more perhaps questionable behavior, but generally, for most you might. If you've found one, you've saw the three other fabulous people to keep them in line. And I think that, I think is what helps to keep it the gentlemen's sport. You know, we look after each other.
Speaker 2: Definitely. Now, Linn, we just about ten minutes before the end of the show. Now I'm gonna put you on the spot and you'll have to forgive me. Hopefully you'll return the figure of one of the days. So it has to do with you playing golf. It has to do with highlights of your golfing career and the downfalls, the moments of embarrassment while playing golf. So with that being said, I would like to leave the platform to you to share with us the most embarrassing moments you've experienced on the golf course and obviously the highlights that you've experienced on the golf course.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, I'm going to stop the same. I've had two holes in one which has been my first. One was at Royal Bourbon in those days. It was a sixth hole I think it's a different home number now. And then the next was at C C.
Speaker 5: J on the wood Meet course on the eighth hole, and it was at Ladies Open and I was a gosh, I was so on the tip had that never was so kind to me. This is also harder on my own but also the most embarrassing as well.
Speaker 3: And I was playing a league game at Beetford and plan absolutely I have to say, we're playing rubbish and we got to a prop five and I forgive me a country. I think it's cool, and we teetled and I hit my second shot and we sort of both walked forward and we couldn't find my ball and ge but you know, I actually believe it or not it had gone straight, so we're was it and I actually said to my opponent, I said, maybe it's in the whole of We both laughed, like man, we said, oh my gosh, you know, I would be really new black crab, but blame me down.
Speaker 6: So I had an eagle, won the whole and but I think they went back back back to playing rubbish again, So that was it was also fantastic.
Speaker 3: Other than that, John, I've had some interesting shots around the courses, and it's always whenever you want to play your best and impress someone, you play your worst and then the heart to try you trather where she get. I think I've also had a couple of times where I've lost quite a few golf balls on the golf course. The water for me is a great attraction. But yeah, I'd like to start. Just stay with those three. I think anything else she blotted out. So I think that that was fantastic. Can I have to say that my home in one at Real Derman it was a really straight and you could see. But at C c J it was you know, the eighth has that bumper on the left and it's got the little uh you know, you lose the hole and the hole was on the left hand side, and I remember hitting the ball in the air and my caddie was going, it's in the hole, and I'm thinking, really, you know, Noll and I mean we couldn't see the hole, and he just kept saying, it's in the hole. Okay, well wow, that's great, and the courser we got to within the hole and then when we got to the green mar ball was not there and it was in the hole. So it was it was fantastic. What a what an amazing feeling, I have to.
Speaker 2: Say, it's really amazing.
Speaker 3: Yea. And at Royal Dermin it was actually a social around that I was playing. It was a very quiet day. It was in the morning, but just so it happened as my ball went in the hole, there was some like about ten people coming from all directions they were playing. You know, it really was quiet. So yeah, yeah, I'm delighted that I can say that I have had holden once. I have had uh eagles, and I have had an albertoice. So many many trouble babies in West so they counsel.
Speaker 2: In essence, had you seriously played golf, you would have been prone.
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, I don't think so I believe it or not. My husband and I were tennis players and we played the league. We played high level tennis, and my husband then got the bug to play golf and I got injured. I couldn't play tennis. I got tennis and golf aether, and strangely enough, I could play golf. It was very odd, and that's how good to golf. I'm playing a few friends of mine. In fact, one of my friends who brother was a very good golfer. She was like, come on, let let's go and play. So Saturday mornings, I can't believe at six thirty in the morning, we'd be a royal durbin and we trundled down and we teach other the rules, all the wrong rules. But and then the lady Catton actually approached us and said, come on, go, come and join us, and you know, and we joined and it was wonderful. I think in my second year or whatever, I got the most improved player, which was really I'm just just a person who loved golf. I loved everything about golf because I enjoyed that camaraderie and tennis. You know, even the four of them are called two, you're still trying to blix and the other two on the other side, whereas in golf the four of them together, you know, and I think it's little sport. It really is. Yeah, So that's that's how that's how it started. And that was a long time. Quite now I'm trying to think that. Yeah, probably around about nineteen eighty eight, maybe some Yeah, but I thank you understanding it's gone yeah, unfortunately, but yeah, I mean not long after that, you know, seventies. Nineteen ninety seven we launched the first of our frisk of publication.
Speaker 2: So mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Golf was gold very good, chass, pretty good, last awesome stuff.
Speaker 2: Now I'm going to ask you one last question today, lean and I actually want to disrupt the golf in society as a whole with this question because I like chaos at certain points in time. So my question is is very simple, right, I mean, you've you've been playing golf for over thirty years. I've been playing golf for over twenty years, although I played like I only started last year.
Speaker 3: But it's fine, so I'm sure you didn't.
Speaker 2: If there's anything or actually, let's be very specific, from all the rules in golf, if there's any one that you could change, which one would it be and what adjustment would you actually make.
Speaker 3: To that rule? Well, I always hated that when you landed, did it you didn't get a free drop? That was that was very unfair. I think that was. Yeah, and bunkers. Some of the banker rules are that we're you know, like when there's water in the bunk and things like that. I think sometimes it's the absault. They need to be more you know, they need to put have those special conditions where they say, you know, you then get alp or whatever. But quite often I used to find that there wasn't a new used to have to play the balls at last, and things like that. So but I know there also changed a lot of you know recently as well. But yeah, that one then the divot that wasn't fair. So I don't think of anything else. But that was sort of unfear or anything like that. Obviously you always want to Jule. I think that I think that's about it turning. I don't really, I can't. I don't really think of anything I can remove it.
Speaker 2: What would you say if there's anything that I would want to m h, I'll look at the green. So there's a lot of things that happen when, especially when you're trying to play competitive and you're on the green, you try to do a practice stroke and you incidentally just place your pattern on the ball and they say, no, it's a stroke. I think that should be reconsidered or reviewed because if the ball doesn't move, that that doesn't mean that I've hit it. I've only touched it.
Speaker 3: I must I thought that wasn't a shot. As long as the ball doesn't move, is the any the ball moves and you know, a nuscular amount. If it doesn't move, don't think it is it is staying corrected. That that's im I didn't think that that was Maybe I was playing wrong, But now.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'm the one who has been playing with the wrong rules.
Speaker 3: You know what, we need to go back to our rules officials, get them rules. Look out your listeners. Aren't we testing the list the listeners? Now we're gonna ask them for their feedback on we all we round? Which was round?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we actually need to get that. We actually need to get that. I think we should actually post this question on our socials as well, just to find out what the listeners think and if we're right or but I can definitely assure you both myself and you are right and doing it. At the same time, we create our own rules.
Speaker 3: I think we must, you know, titilate the the audience and mcmfact help us and by helping us and help everyone else.
Speaker 2: M hmm, that's very true. Well, Lynn, we've reached the end of ours lot, and once again I have to say, I'm so excited. Yeah, I'm so excited to have you on board, and I'm so excited to seeing what we have in store and for the audience out there. If you're listening, listen, when you're seiled in, you see Boz and Tea's. When you see Boz and Teines, you seiled in. So do not separate the two, because we are one and we are super excited to take golf to New Heights this year and all the other years afterwards.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Cherny. I'm really excited and I'm honored to be, you know, proud of you guys.
Speaker 2: I really am.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for the opportunity.
Speaker 2: No, thank you so much, Lynn, and we will be chatting almost every.
Speaker 3: Day very much. I really enjoyed this has been really lovely talking to you.
Speaker 2: No, it's been it's been it's been uh great talking to you and I think it's going to be great talking to you father, and it's going to be a great time that we're going to have as a team. Thank you, Thank you very much, all the best.
Speaker 3: Bye.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, ladies and gentlemen. So there you have it. That is the end of our slot. And I have to say it has been a beautiful, beautiful session. That's Lynn Jones, the co founder of Tea to Green and I have to say this without being shy, welcome on board. Lynn. We are decided to start working with you and we are excited to start shaking things up in South Africa's coffee industry. Not just South Africa, but we going international. We're going to shift things around and we're going to make sure that everybody starts playing golf. No matter who you are, where you are, you are going to start enjoying the spot. Whether you play it or you intend on playing it, you're going to do it. So ladies and gentlemen, with that being said, I have to say, don't say that you heard this from me. Tomorrow's Thursday. I'm not going to work. I'll be on the golf course hopefully it will stop raining and then I can play around of golf tomorrow. But for those who are working on Friday, I have to say, let's talk, let's talk, let's talk, let's talk, because I don't understand Friday is part of the weekend. So how do you then go and be productive instead of being productive on the golf course. But there's still If it's not your thing, then it's cool. I have to say I love you, guys. Please continue supporting us, please continue bringing more people to foller balls and tis. There's a lot of things coming up and I'm excited for twenty twenty five. So I have to say I love you, and I'm gonna leave you at this moment.
Speaker 3: To my chi