Speaker 1: This is the baseline discussing the hot button topics of the NBA. Welcome everybody, your tune to the baseline. Cali Warrenshaw discussing the hot button topics of the NB. A time for us to get ready to talk Western Conference preview.
Speaker 2: We have gotten such an exciting show on tap.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: This is a great time, you know, of the season. You know, we get to start talking about, you know, all thirty teams in the NBA and and really dig into, you know, the finer points about what our expectations are, you know, and what they outcome, you know, we might think is gonna be. So I'm rolling out the red carpet to my right hand man Www. Dot Show, Sports doat net, Big Kahuna PNC, my Man warren Shaw reving out of Fort LAYDA to Florida. You know, he's the guy that makes things happen. And we've been fortunate enough. Man, whenever we do these previews, it's been good. We get good positive feedback, whether it's we're doing it on our own, but we're always thankful whenever we have great guests on board to help hash shout these conferences respectively.
Speaker 3: All Right, I appreciate that and you know, kudos to our guests who are willing to join us, you know, for these contents, for these conference previews. Another great one in store here. Western Conference is going to be tightly contested. God knows, you know, there's going to be some some interesting conversations based on our rankings to be had here ahead. So excited to get this one going. As always, family and hope our friends and families, friends and listeners will be tapping in and giving us their thoughts here on the Western Conference. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love how you like to tee up the tee up me being the bad guy of this whole thing.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: I mean, nobody's a bad guy. You have an opinion or.
Speaker 2: The or the crazy one. I am, I am.
Speaker 1: I'm suddenly the Arthur Fleck of of conference preview conversations.
Speaker 3: You it is you. You bring spice to our lives and having some varying opinions from what the norm is. I think it's great podcast content.
Speaker 1: So let's keep it all I want at one point, you know what I'm saying, Hopefully we'll blow up. We'll get someone to video edit me in the joker face coming down those steps like Arthur fleck Man like, you know what I'm saying my conference previews.
Speaker 3: I'm yeah, kick out.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, because that's apparently how I come in with these these these rankings.
Speaker 2: And predictions that I drop right.
Speaker 1: Okay, anyway, we have a great guest to help us do our Western Conference preview grant as set as set excuse me. He is one of the premium reporters that is covering the Dallas Mavericks right now. You can find him on Dallas Hoops Journal dot com. He will be on board in a few moments to help us break down the Western Conference. Great conversation, great content, great provider all things, not just maps, but just covering the NBA.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure that he would have a vested.
Speaker 1: Interest in him seeing what's going on with the Western Conference just a little bit, just a smitch, right, So yeah, we cannot wait for him to get on board for that, we can get started to talk Western Conference preview as always, be sure I get on my Man show as our sports NBA get at me a gay face lead the shows, Twitter and a the NBA baseline available on all the major platforms. Be sure to go to www. Dot the baseline NBA dot Com not to only check out the preview previews that we have set up, but also all of the shows that we drop. That's our home space. Be able to go there, catch all of the great content that we provide for you. And if you catch us on a YouTube tannel and you see the blue and white logo, then you know that we're rocking with the nineteen Media Group family. So hello to all of those on the YouTube channel. But more importantly, if you want to listen to some great quality content, great shows, go to www dot Ninetymediagroup dot com.
Speaker 2: Ninety Media Group. You're running these content streets all right.
Speaker 1: In a few moments, we're gonna bring our man Grand Assef to come on and do some Western Conference preview. But before we do that, are you craving nonstops hoops action? If you are, NBA League Pass is your ticket to the ultimate basketball experience. Enjoy live games, on demand replays, an exclusive behind the scenes content across a variety of device. With NBA League Pass, you'll get more more games. We're talking regular season and select playoff matchups, more features including multiview angles, in depth stats and behind the scenes stories, more access catch your favorite teams and players anytime anywhere. Stay up with the NBA like the like the Baseline does league passes for fans who live the game. Sign up now at link dot NBA dot com slash LP nineteen MG. That's link dot NBA dot com slash LP nineteen MG. Break down coming up with our man, Grant ass Up. You do not want to miss out. Don't go anywhere.
Speaker 2: Time now for the breakdown.
Speaker 1: Calie Warrenshaw the Baseline NBA podcast and with us to help break down the Western Conference.
Speaker 2: Our man he keeps a very keen.
Speaker 1: Eye on not just what goes on with the Dallas Mavericks, but the whole landscape of the Western Conference. Specifically why because the Dallas Mavericks did some damage last year getting to the NBA Finals and now you got to watch the whole conference in its entirety. A very tall task, but nothing that our man, Grant Asset of Dallas Hoops Journal is.
Speaker 2: Used to isn't already used to. Grant. Thanks for hopping on board with this man. We know you know.
Speaker 1: It's been a wild ride already and we haven't even gotten to the beginning of the season. You are all over the place all things Dallas Mavericks, and we appreciate you taking some time out to help give us insight on what you think would be the outcome of this year's upcoming Western Conference.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thanks for having me.
Speaker 5: Definitely one of the more interesting teams, you know, obviously coming off the finals, adding Clay and Yeah, this whole West is kind of crazy. There's a lot of teams that want to win, not a whole lot of teams that are raising the flag for Cooper flag or chase the flag, whatever you want to say. Yeah, there's definitely gonna be a lot of interesting elements to get into about you know, one through fifteen for sure.
Speaker 1: Well we're going to get right into you know who we have depicted as the lottery teams, like those that are chasing the flag sort of speak, or trying to capture the flag sort of speak. But I really want to ask you this question real quick, and I know you'll speak in more detail about where the Dallas Mavericks are and how you see them for this upcoming season, But I'm really curious what is the buzz really like out there in Dallas, especially coming off of that finals. Is there a a believability factor in this or has it been bolstered by the ability for them to get a Klay Thompson. I'm not saying Klay Thompson is supposed to be you know, that's it that is, but maybe the fan base has a feel about that, saying, oh, that's exactly what we needed. He's he's gonna really help, you know, nudge just really closer into us being that perennial favorite maybe to win the finals. What's the buzz like out there in Dallas from what you've been covering so far.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think for the most part, like you know, members, like just people around the building, I think there's a lot of like optimism and excitement about adding someone like Klay Thompson because they shot very poorly in the finals, like they were, you know, with PJ. Washington and Derek Jones. Is the main starting wings the Celtics really you know, cross match switched and loaded the paint to the point where it's really tough to operate one on one against like Drew Holliday and Derek White, and then you know, get the ball to and above the bri open shooter and it's miss after miss after miss, Like not all that's not the only reason why they lost by any means. They ran into a really phenomenal team that stretched them out defensively, put a lot of pressure on them, and stuck to their principles, you know, on the other side defensively, and you know, were able to give up the shots they wanted to give up and live with the results and one in five games. But you know, in terms of you know, I think just beyond just the Klay Thompson element as well, I think there's a lot of excitement from what they did at the trade deadline and how that could translate to a season wide, you know, level of success. You know, adding PJ. Washington, Daniel Gofford. You know, they last year there were times where an injury started to pile up where their centers were Dwight Palell and Grant.
Speaker 4: Williams in December, like late December.
Speaker 5: So I think, you know, having that reprotection for forty eight minutes as an option, still having Maxi Kleiba when he's healthy, to bring that small ball five Some people like the thought of PJ. Washington maybe even filling some small ball five minutes, but just overall, like a superstar backcourt, a sharp shooter that you can really diversify the offense more with and you know, having guard depth too. Jaden Hardy, there's optimism and excitement about his potential this season filling in, you know, when they need him to fill in, which is actually gonna be right now, considering you know, Dante Exum you know, has to have to undergo risk surgery, and you know Spencer Dinwiddie returned as well too, So they have a little more depth than what they've had in recent years. When you know, Luca or Kyrie went down, it's very challenging for them to overcome that. But this year that's doesn't appear to be nearly that same level you know of concern in such a scenario. So just a lot more depth, a lot more you know, top end talent than what they've had to start seasons in recent years. So definitely come out to the finals a lot of high expectations and belief.
Speaker 1: I mean, it sounds like everyone's on that Mark Cuban sauce man, like, you know, they they they're ready to roll. You know, they see this as you know, all sys go. All right, so let's let's get right into this grant and what we you know, had depicted as our predictions for the Western Conference. And I will be as discreet and stoic as possible, because I know my man Shaw is going to be chiming in on the ludicrousness of of you know, my personal selections of what was going on in the Western Conference.
Speaker 2: But ultimately, what we have is our lottery teams.
Speaker 1: We have the Portland Trailblazers of Utah Jazz and the San Antonio Spurs. And I wanted to get your We wanted to get your perspective from this on. You know, how do you see this one thing that is interesting in one of in our in our other conference preview we had spoken about over the last couple of years, it hasn't been much of an appetite about lottery teams that the intent to say, this is about us trying to get like the victor woman Yamas or to whatever the case may be. The more as the intent is, let's trade around and pull players you know, either maligned or you know this in franchise or sort of speak or on the outs and see if maybe they can help put something together, piece something together, find a diamond in a rough sort of speak, rather than the reliance of what was coming out of the draft. This year seems like, oh x that it's all about what's going to be coming out of the draft. How confident are you about, you know, where these teams are if their intent is the pursuit of a you know, Cooper, flag and and Bailey and others that are being so highly touted, you know, for for next year's upcoming draft.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think for the most part, the one I'm most you know, I think is probably a pretty obvious one for you guys as well too. I think Portland there's just not too much you know, like I guess you could say upward trajectory right now. I think unless Schoo Henderson you know, really exceeds expectations beyond what he's shown in preseason, you know, maybe Shade and Sharp or you know, anyone like that, I still think they're pretty much fifteenth for me, and I think they're mostly whether it's organic or intentional, whatever it may be, I think they're probably gonna be positioned where they're you know, late in the season where they end up thinking, okay, we probably are best trying to angle ourselves for the lottery. I think that's usually what uh, you know, Utah has done recently as well. Like usually after the All Star Break, they get to that point where they, you know, Lari Markinen starts having these injuries that pile up, he misses quite a bit of time, and other players as well too. I'm not sure if that's really what they're thinking this year. I think, you know, they have solid pieces where they can be competitive, feel it out a little bit, and I think that's you know, probably the similar scenario for San Antonio, where they can fill it out a little bit, and you know, if they're exceeding expectations, you know, more power to them. But if they're not, after the All Star break, then you know, maybe we start to see a little bit of you know, lengthy injury reports and long absences for the history of what those injuries may be. But I think, you know, San Antonio, Houston, those types of teams, I think they're going to really want to compete. I just think you know, sometimes with them, they've just not had the ability to necessarily do it at a high level, unless you're the Rockets. In the month of March comes up, then you start to seem to really figure it out really fast. But aside from that, you know, I think those are probably my bottom four teams, and we're probably thinking, you know, for me personally, just mostly the Blazers seem to be the standout for the bottom of the bottom in my opinion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so for those playing at home, you know, were more or less too the aggregate of of of of our rankings, and this is how we got to where we got to. So Grant not as high in Houston as Call and I were in general. But this three here now when we talk about San Antonio, Utah, and Portland kind of being in that bottom three. So similar to our Eastern Conference preview, we feel like these teams, and I'd say primarily San Antonio and Portland could be the teams that try to help other teams be better as they try to tank, right, so they have some pieces that other player other teams may be interested in one way or the other. I think san Antonio specifically, you know, with the Chris Paul and Harrison Barnes, those are guys who could high level veteran guys can go and assist, you know what, A team that's a piece or two away makes some sense. But as as grand alluded to, if they're doing well, then hey, we hang on because Victor wants to win now. But if the Spurs have any chance of pairing up when Bayama and Flag together, you know, for years to come. I mean, I know Wemby would be a little bit tight about that this year because he does seem to be, you know, a real competitor. But it may not be the worst thing, you know, in the in the world, and San Antonio seems to have had pretty good luck when it comes to lotteries and number one picks. Just putting that out there from the Portland standpoint, though Anthony Simons don't know if he's long for this, for this, for this ride in Portland. DeAndre in similar not denominate in whatever want to call him, but they got clinging. I think Robert Williams is on this roster as well to former Celtic guy, who could definitely go somewhere and help somebody. So they have some pieces too that I think could be interested. And then you assume they build around kind of the shade and sharps of the world and Scoot Henderson potentially I think that in that mold Utah to me is a little bit just too far above that right now, especially with the way market has been able to play. He's really like if you would have said the marketing that we saw in Chicago when you know, especially after that second year, when it was like what happened to the guy he is now? I just wouldn't believe that there was the same guy. And I think you know what they got with Keante George even Collin Sexton too a lesser degree. You know, they have high level guys who can compete. And if Walker Cussler decides that he actually wants to be the Walker Cusser, a better improved version from the first year and not whatever the hell was happening last year, this Utah Jazz team is going to be a little bit too good. But as grand alluded to, if they just said, you know what, we're gonna sit people down as opposed to like really playing it out, then you know, maybe that changes thing. Because the other thing too, I think Will Hardy is one of the better coaches in the NBA right now as well too. He's an ascending guy. And it's like sometimes the mix for what you want doesn't match the outcome because you're just you might just be too good. But to me, Portland is the one that is just like, yeah, they have no chance. You know, it won't be hard for them to thank.
Speaker 1: You wait to Vince mcmahondon team man, damn no chance. Okay, all all excellent points. What I found interesting, Sean, And this is just you know, off the top of my head, grant you know, because you may not know this.
Speaker 2: We're you know, we're Celtics fans, but.
Speaker 1: I honestly feel that the bus is Celtics purposely lent Robert Williams, the time lord, to the Portland Trailblazers for a couple of years, and we'll probably be like, you know, let me go ahead and take them, take him off your hands now, like yeah, he basically lent them out on a retainer.
Speaker 3: Well, let's let's let's put that in perspective real quickly, right because I think, you know, and not to bring it back to the east, but to the largest subtractions, if you will. Everyone was very concerned about Boston last year. Was was Robert Williams and Marcus mart Both of those guys ended up being hurt the majority part of the seasons, so we don't even know what the returns all will ultimately be. Then Portland goes ahead and make a move to get clinging in there behind eight and and Robert Williams Like what, but Williams is all is already hurt going into the preseason yet again. So it's just I don't know. We hey, we love the time lord time in in Boston, but his time in Portland seems to be you know, waiting really really quickly as well too, because he just can't stay healthy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, I get it. It was just playfully being suggested.
Speaker 5: Diane spent some time rehabbing in Portland, uh in the last while or one of his injuries that maybe, uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one of his many injuries.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you and listen, it appears that, you know, he's much higher on the list, right like the Pelicans are, you know, are very much a further ahead, you know what I'm saying than where.
Speaker 2: We might even think of Portland.
Speaker 1: Trailblazer your tunes of the base like Cali Wardshaw discussing outbund topics of the NBA, and our special guests Grant asse f Uh covers the the Dallas Mavericks Dallas Hoops Journal dot com. So be sure to check him out as we give you our Western Conference preview. So let's transition now to the teams that we have set up to be our playing teams.
Speaker 2: Okay, l A.
Speaker 1: Clippers, Houston Rockets, Sacramento Kinks. Now this is interesting because the Sacramento Kings a few seasons ago were arguably the baby Warriors that were supposed to Now this was their time, the opportunity and you know, the Warriors best days ahead. They essentially should have basically killed off the Warrior dynasty.
Speaker 2: They failed to do.
Speaker 1: So the Warriors live, you know saying, for another season and probably will live again another season after that because the Warriors figured out out the way to move on from from the Kings yet again. Right, So here we are now are we talking about? Of those teams? The Houston Rockets is the team to look out for. Are the LA Clippers taking a step back or given the off season transitions that have taken place, we have to.
Speaker 2: Say this is where there kind of are.
Speaker 1: But we still should not take for granted what they could potentially be because as equally as we're saying the Rockets can be a threat dangerously on an upside, any Tyron luc team, especially in the playoffs, will not go out with go quietly in the night sort of speak. I'll now hand it back to you, Grant, and give us your perspective on why we may think that these are the best outcomes teams as far as being playing goes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think the Clippers are definitely just the hardest team for me personally to really figure out. Like, we don't have a crystal ball, so we don't know how healthy Kawhi is going to be for the whole eighty two games. He played a lot of games last year, I think, like round seventy or so, and then you know, the wheels kind of fell off in the playoffs and he you know, was sidelent for the rest of you know, the series after actually missing Game one and then coming jumping into the series a little bit after. So it's always a wild card with him. Losing Paul George is a big loss in my opinion as well. And then you know, James Harden, I think, will be more aggressive ramp up what he has done in recent years. But then again, he's also around at thirty four to thirty five age, so when you're ramping back up to previous levels, durability to me kind of seems like a little bit of a concern, but I think they have a lot of talent on their roster. Are like Zubots as a center, you know, good Rin protector. I think they can put a little bit more on his plate offensively too, Like he's a little more capable on the post, and I think, you know, some people may give him credit for so I think they have the talent, you know, these other teams, I'm I'm actively regretting a little bit, like putting the Kings below them because you know, I think with them adding tomar Derozen, I think they're gonna be a you know, very talented offensive team yet again obviously, but defensively is usually where I have the.
Speaker 4: Concerns with them.
Speaker 5: I think there's a ceiling you have with the bonus as your five, you know, with their you know what they can put out there, you know, the coverages they can use, all that stuff. So that's kind of where I had a little bit of pause with them, and I just think it would be such a far fall for the Clippers while still having you know, some talent, you know, obviously just losing Paul George and still replacing him with like a Derek Jones. I think he's a good player someone I covered last year, you know, in Dallas as well. I think, uh, there's just a lot of volatility with based off like the feel you have for some of these teams where I think, you know, the best case scenario, like a team like Houston, you know, I think you guys have them higher on your list. You know, I could see the best case scenario being like a playing team exceeding expectations. They almost did it last year where they fell just a little bit short at that really hot like month of March. I think if they get consistency out of Jalen Green for like the whole season, that really changes, like the I guess you could say the way you look at him, their outlook and everything. Shim Goon is a great player already. H You know, all those young guys you would think would get better over time as well too. So I definitely can see them, you know, making me look stupid for having them so low a vlist at some point.
Speaker 4: So definitely just a lot to really consider with that.
Speaker 1: I was I was wondering if whether or not this is just you know, Dallas bias saying you know, we'll give you, we'll give you a little bit of respect. We ain't you know what I'm saying when I We're not you know, handing you the whole dinner now, you know, you gotta you gotta earn the big.
Speaker 3: Piece of.
Speaker 5: Really like think like, wow, I have the Rockets like at this spot or the.
Speaker 2: Was it only a couple of years ago?
Speaker 1: Like everybody is just completely overlooking the Rockets, you know what I'm saying, Like the moment now that we're beyond the hardened era, was this, you know, moment we just said, okay, moving on. You know the Rackets that are they even still a legitimate team in the NBA? Like do they you know, does the city actually have a team in the NBA the Houston Rockets? And you know, again obviously the the hiring of Udoka I think was immense, but I think getting some guys that really buy into the Udoka culture I think speaks more to how quickly they could probably elevate themselves and you know, challenging an already competitive division that they're that that they're currently in.
Speaker 2: Shaw.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think Rant's word volatility speaks highly for the entirety of the conference. Again, similar to the East, these might be three four game differences you know, in terms of the standings in general, while Grant ranked in thirteenth, I had them eleventh, Cal had Am eighth. You know, this this Rockets team, which is possible. But the Rockets they have so many guys. I think they have too many guys. I just don't know how all those minutes are going to sust themselves out. Obviously, Reach Shepherd is, I think he's second right now in terms of potential Rookie of the Year bettings. If you are a better out there men, Thompson has to play so but at the expense of who so does that? Dylan Brooks, the Dylan Brooks go to the bench? What about Cam Whitmore, Who's just electric off the bench? You know, especially I mean primarily offensively. To me, the Rockets are the hardest ones to figure out because of so many players and all the layers that each one of those players bring, you know, to the proverbial table. Sacramento, with the addition of DeRozan, at least from what especially what I've seen in the preseason, seems like it's going to be a pretty seamless fit. I didn't realize, or maybe I just wasn't giving him the credit that that he's due in terms of he can be a plug, plug and play guy, at least offensively. He's just gonna he's gonna continue to do what he does, not gonna really hurt you, give you a little bit of secondary play creation. He's gonna knock down that mid range on a regular basis with without fail, and for the most part he's going to play you know, a good amount of games. Uh. I like the King's capabilities, but they have not done enough, I think, to improve defensively, So sloting them here makes some sense to me, and a lot in a lot of respects as well. But then lastly, I think we're all just tired. There's there's a thing of attrition I think with the Clippers and being fooled once and twice and so forth and so forth. So at this point, like listen, I'm not gonna put him as the top four team. Here feels good, it's safe, you know, playing range, and if it works out differently, awesome. But at this stage, who's who's betting the farm on the Clipper's ability to stay healthy? Are you betting now? Yes, James Harden looks great in the preseason. He's going to have a much larger load to kind of to manage on a regular basis. But do you want Terrence Man having to do more on a regular basis? I like Terrence Man, but in the role that he was in, but not he's he going to be miscast and trying to have to do more in that space. I don't I don't know. I haven't seen Norman Powell this this preseason, so I don't know what he's looking like. But again, good offensive guy. Derek Jones Junior still can contribute. Zubac I think is prime to be better at that center spot too, But it all, just it all, It just frustrates me. The Clippers thing just frustrates me. So leaving them here fine, if they do better, hey, then you know, we'll all eat a little bit of Crow. But I'm not ready to go that route right now. I'm not I'm not betting on the beard at all.
Speaker 1: Well, it sounds like, you know your appetite for Crow is you know, Hey, I'm okay with.
Speaker 2: It, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Kind of like if you go to France and you have scargo, like sure, why not.
Speaker 2: I'm willing to. I'm willing to.
Speaker 1: I'm willing to you know what I'm saying, try different things right, because I can't keep trying the same thing here. I respect that, y'all, I truly do. I wanted to come back to something that you were talking about a moment ago, as it pertains to the Houston Rockets. Sometimes you know, having too much of the same thing might actually be a good thing for a guy like Udoka because if you really think about where And I don't want to try and stay on everything about Eastern Conference, but we can tie with what Udokah did for the Boston Celtics prior to his exodus and what laid the foundation for what we now see as to why we talk about the Boston Celtics being the best team in the NBA. He established those role players in such a way that I think it made it easier for Missoula to figure out how he can plug and play with the top the style of system that he wants. And I think that, to me, the only way you're able to do that is if you have the type of players who can you have that kind of versatility to Sometimes there's some players that are just so one dimensional that you can't do anything with them, and you got to pray that your general manager figures out some way to finagel some kind of move to bring the kind of player that you want, because you just can't spend enough time developing guys to be the weare now. I'm not saying that all of these role players that you were talking about are like that, but what I'm saying is if there's probably one of the head coaches that we're talking about in this Western Conference that might be capable of getting the most out of these guys in the minutes.
Speaker 2: And commanding them and staying and keeping them.
Speaker 1: On it through the course of a regular season, it's probably Udoka, whereas other guys are going to lean into what's gotten them success and are not going to move or budge from it moving forward. So that was the only thing that I wanted to say as it pertains to the Rockets, which is why I'm probably a lot higher on him because he's shown me that he's been able to make freaking beef booyond with.
Speaker 2: Liver. Okay, Like, we don't know.
Speaker 1: What these guys are going to potentially look like if you send them on somewhere else, but maybe with this team you might actually see where it actually makes sense, so that that was my perspective as it pertains to the other two teams, with the Clippers and with the Kings, I am completely on board with both what you and Grant are talking about, because to me, the Kings should already be there. However, their defensive achilles. The achilles and their defensive abilities I think will continue to hamper them unless Brown channels something in him back in his yester years when he was supposed to be a defensive guru specialist type person, that he gets these guys to actually execute and play better defense against the better teams. Not so much the fact that they can't play decent defense, but they're so offensively minded that even if they are top five teams scoring wise against the better teams that know how to counter them and play them up defensively, they don't know how to win low scoring games. So they got to score like one hundred and twenty five or more for them to be a legitimate basketball team.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, I'm going to just close the point here on Houston. I think I don't think, I know. Getting reach Epherd is helpful in a lot of ways, but especially for Fred Benvley, he was playing too many minutes, so when you talk about you have too many guys not at that position, especially again secondary play creation, so he'll be able to kind of come in there. But Jabari Smith Junior, you know, he's a young he's a young bull. As I say, I'm sure he wants to be able to prove himself some you know, not in a Steve Adams is going to. We know he's going to kind of come in there and play play a role, so that's not going to be an issue. But Jillen Green, he has a contract situation kind of looming out here. Shangoon has a contract situation kind of looming out here as well too, So that's where I agree in terms of Yudoka being a disciplinarian, but having to have them truly buy into that, into the team concept and not worrying about what are their personal acclades. And remember, Jabari Smith came in here kissed off ready because he wasn't the number one pick, So there's a lot of things I think that he has to manage. And the talent level is there and they could be in line for a consolidation trade, but I don't even know what that would look like. And how would you not upset whatever the chemistry is there, you know, if you move some of those guys.
Speaker 2: Out, better manager in Houston and manage it in.
Speaker 3: Boston, less expectations.
Speaker 2: I get that.
Speaker 1: We hope you're enjoying this week's edition of the Baseline with Cali and warren Shaw. If you're enjoying today's show, be sure to give us a like or subscribe on our YouTube channel. Your support helps us keep bringing you the best and discussing the hot button topics in the NBA. More Baseline with Cali and Warrenshaw. Don't go away your tune to the Baseline Cali warren Shaw discussing hot button topics of the NBA with our special guest, Grant Asset of Dallas Hoops Journal. All right, man, let's get right into it. Let's get into the good stuff. Yeah, man, I got my suit warming up, and as we speak, all right middle of the pack teams. We've got the Memphis Grizzlies, New Orleans Pelicans, Golden State Warriors, Minnesota Timberwolves. Sean, I'm gonna basically allow you to how do we say, illumin like, bring bring to light the picture of how we were we came to or we we derived as being the middle of the pack.
Speaker 3: Well, volatility is how we got here to be.
Speaker 2: I woke up and chose volatility.
Speaker 3: Yes, so again for playing Philips playing at home cal messed up our rankings here. You know that is my brother. But uh, he has some irrational faith, I'd say, you know in this Los Angeles Lakers team, and his ranking catapulted them, you know, into this space to be in the middle of the pack, where as Grant and I took a more realistic approach to what the Lakers have been doing the last couple of season.
Speaker 2: Yes, I woke up and chose chaos. That's it.
Speaker 1: I got up that morning and I said I will bring chaos to this ranking.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, thank you for that.
Speaker 3: It is it great for great It makes for great podcast contest. So as such, I think it's only fair that Grant, yes, you are a guest, but I need my fellow cohesre to explain himself here why he has the Lakers as a fifth seed in the Western Conference. JJ Reddick and Dalton Konnect must really have you in some sort of atism.
Speaker 1: All right, Lakers fans, this is your mulligan because you will never, you will never give. You will never hear me try to give this much praise for your organization. Matter of fact, our boy Jabari, right now, I'm expecting my Christmas gift a little bit earlier than December twenty fifth, my friend. Okay, So let me speak to this because the reason why I have the Los Angeles Lakers as elevated as it is, it's not because I'm expecting the Los Angeles Lakers to do resounding things. I think where I'm coming from is I think the gap between teams that are five all the way down to the play in will be so tightly knit that it may come down to a couple of games in which, unfortunately, I will still rest my faith in Lebron James and Anthony Davis among these teams as far as the type of duo that is capable of winning the necessary games to position themselves best so that they can continue to compete. Again, I repeat, it is not me saying that JJ Reddick is going to be this, you know, once in a lifetime, you know, magical head coach, and he's going to innovate something awesome and great about you know. It's got nothing to do with that it's really about how tightly packed the Western Conference is going to play out come towards the end of the season. And if it's that way and the way I'm predicting it, I just see where the Lakers, to me, of the teams that we're talking about, have proven more so to be as competitive when it matters the most and have the best capable players that are going to be suited to win the necessary games to position themselves to be so highly ranked in the middle of the pack.
Speaker 2: In the middle of the pack.
Speaker 1: Excuse me, all right, feel free now to say slander me crazy.
Speaker 3: Yes, let's let's keep with the wrestling monikers here. Do you smell what Kallas Cook can hear?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think I understand. They stand. Like if you think it's gonna be a really.
Speaker 5: Like tight race and you just think, uh, you know, like lebron A d whatever else about that Lakers team that you like, will help them rise rory.
Speaker 1: They they and look they'll get back Vanderbilt, right. So I just think that as a team competitively, they may be the more well together put team that will win out necessary games. Only under the premise that this is going to be a very contested run of middle of pack teams trying to position themselves and whether it be the play in or get as far as to the five.
Speaker 2: Seed, That to me is how close I'm thinking this is gonna be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 5: I think my only thing with the Lakers is just help. I think if you think that's gonna work out in their favor to where they're in that mix and they can you know, outpace other teams just enough to you know, be in that next Brown I get below the top four. That definitely makes a lot of sense. I just feel like I've seen, you know, a lot of injury reports with like Jared Vanderbilt missing time and you know, just some of their role players and stuff. But you know, sometimes that's just random occurrences. So we can't predict the future for sure. So we'll definitely kind of like the Clippers, We'll have to see how the health department, how many hospital visits there are with that team.
Speaker 2: Grant, you're being way too diplomatic. For Grant, you're being way too diplomatic. Man, Feel free to call cap on Cow, call cap on.
Speaker 1: Cow if you absolutely have to, because my man, shuw I ain't afraid to. I'm just saying, you know, it's not about my affinity and love of the Lakers, it's how sick and tired I am of underestimating this damn team when they really should have been like this already two seasons ago.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think, I guess part of this whole thing is just that, like you know, we're gonna get into it later, but some of the teams that were higher on than the Lakers, like I just think, like honestly, like, I guess it's a big part of it is how do you think Minnesota will be impacted by I guess you could say, like moving on from kat, how do you think Phoenix will be after a full training camp, you know, with point guards that are actual point guards, that let them get into their offense with the let them do what they do best. You know, Memphis is probably a team as well in this whole mix where you know, I my calculus with them, I have them six for transparency on my rankings, just because I know they've won a lot of games in the past, like two fifty win seasons. Assuming also there's no offs of court or injury like long stretches that impact them negatively. I just think they've had a lot of success in this current little era that they have with their core when you know, Jaron Jackson's been paired up with like a big center that can really like do the dirty work inside and I I personally think zach Eady can do that. You know, maybe not as established and consistently as some of their other guys in the past like Steven Adams or Balachunis or any of those guys like that, but I do think that is a formula that I've seen in the past that could work well. And then you know, not to go to the whole you know, Western Conference here, but you know, like the Pelicans.
Speaker 2: They're all in the middle of the pack. Yeah, yeah, like.
Speaker 5: That's where I could definitely see where you you know, Lakers have an identity. Uh, they've seen some of that work out, like with the you know, the run of the Western Conference finals.
Speaker 4: They still have some of those role players.
Speaker 5: Uh if health goes their way and uh, you know, I could definitely see where you know that volatility word again, where that goes in their favor. Uh. But yeah, just just a lot of just question marks I think with injuries as well, because even with New Orleans and even Golden state like you're gonna their best players tend to miss a good amount of games as well, too, Like Steph tends to have like a lengthy stretch each season where you're like, wow, like this team's kind of rough, kind of rough, trying to stay afloat here. Same with New Orleans and Zion. If I think there's only been really one year in his career, he's really like stayed healthy for like most of the entire season. So definitely a definitely a lot of question marks. But you know, I can definitely see why you are, you know, high on the Lakers.
Speaker 1: Well, and look, I'm down, I'm down on the I'm down on the New Orleans Pelicans. I think you guys are are a little bit higher on them or significantly higher on them, and stuff like that. And Seant, you know, I'm opening up the floor to you because I know you.
Speaker 2: You know, you're you're, you're you.
Speaker 1: You laid it on me to lay out the argument about the Los Angeles Lakers, my concern and and and I'm uh shaw I want you to weigh in it, and grant you can certainly follow up on this is the reason why I'm a little bit the reason why I am down on the Memphis Grizzlies and my rankings.
Speaker 2: It's not that I don't think that they are capable.
Speaker 1: I just don't think that the makeup of the team in those fifty year iterations are the same team. And this is so difficult for me to see a team that basically won what like thirty something games thirty, you know, to suddenly catapult themselves somewhere in like a twenty win turnaround with a guy who's arguably in the MVP conversation a year remove from not playing basketball.
Speaker 2: To me, that just gives me reason for concern.
Speaker 1: When you're looking at the other teams that have established what the hierarchy is and what the criteria should be met to be MVP ready, You're asking for an MVP season for John Morant coming initially coming back with the type of team that he doesn't have access that he had access to. I'm concerned about that, which is probably why I put him down as low as I did. But not to say that they're like ten games away from anyone else that they could have leap frog. I'm just saying that I just don't buy into this team just yet. I'd have to see what it looks like with John Morant and Zach Edie and Jaron Jackson. You know what, if Jaron Jackson showed me he is the kind of guy that can carry this team without John Morant, I probably would buy into this idea and have them further up the list. But you know, and I know Sean because we've had him on our show show, had adds conversations numerous times. He used to be your I don't want to say he used to be your young son. You wanted him to be youngster, but now he was kind of like an orphanage to the side. He kind of kept looking at him side.
Speaker 2: I'd be like, you know what I'm saying, this is how I've been.
Speaker 3: With my dog rebound. Okay, so period, Yeah, but he doesn't do that. But to counter your point with Memphis and again for for full disclosure, so we ended up granted, and I you know not we didn't work in consortium, just how it did well. We both had Memphis six and I think New Orleans seven, so six and seven respectively, where cal again had Memphis thirteen, which again kind of changed the calculus on this as well. My thing though with Memphis is despite being injured, riddled, playing like thirty five guys last year or something something absurd. Uh, they still managed to have a decent defense, and I think that is something that they're gonna be able to hang their hat on, especially once they get their guys back. You can't account for Jackson missing time, Bane missing time, Smart missing time, Jaw missing time, Like that's just not something. And I know they're going into the season a little bit banged up with some role player JJ Jackson, Vince Williams Junior, But those are the ancilliary guys. If the main guys are there, especially with the vision of Edi, I think this team can get right back into the forty five forty eight win range. Maybe not the fifty one that they had, you know, a couple of seasons ago, but because they played defense, and because they're talented, and you know, if Desmond bain is, you know, they.
Speaker 1: Still haven't addressed shooting though they got some, but they're shooting still is something left to be desired.
Speaker 3: I mean, but you can say that for a similar team, like we talked about the Eastern Conference in terms of like Orlando, like did they get enough shooting? It's KCP like the Magical elixir. I don't know that that's really the case, but everybody's high in Orlando, so I think, you know, I don't know if Taylor Jenkins is getting enough credit as a as a head coach, I think in this situation, and that's why I feel like Memphis is going to have a bounced back season of sorts. But you know, as we were joking before we got on air, John Rants already irritated because I think in the GM survey he was rated as one of the guys who can have a breakout season. He's like, He's like, how f didn't I already break out? You know? So you know, people are counting counting Grizzlies out in a way that I think in some in some summarnas, that doesn't really quite make sense to me. As I move over to the No. Orleans Pelicans, I'm very confused about what's going on in this front court. So is ion going to really be like the small ball five on a regular basis? Again, not to bring up Celtics slore, but Daniel Tye Celtic's legend, you know, is he really somebody who you want to be kind of man in the middle on a regular basis there and what's going on with Brandon Ingram. He seems like he's going to be chill and play the role, but he's he's not happy about his contract situation. So what goes on there? And CJ. McCollum, is he a bench guy now? Is he going to start now? I think the preseason he has been starting. I don't know if that's the long term path here, but they need to get make sure. I think its Tray Murphy is hurt. He needs to be able to be back. They got herb Jones on the wings as well too, who can give them a lot of versatility defensively. The Pelicans are an intriguing team to me, and because how do I say this, it's almost the exact opposite of the Clippers, Like because we've seen the Pelicans be the best team in the league for like seven game stretches for the last two years, and you feel like they look like world beaters and then they kind of regress or somebody gets hurt or whatever the case it be. So it's kind of like splitting the baby here is like, all right, we'll put them in the middle. That seems safe, you know, because if they're the best versions of themself, of the worst versions themselves, that should be somewhere in the middle of this, and that's where I land on the Memphis Cristies. We haven't even talked about Minnesota yet, you know, and I'm not even going to a dress the Lakers, So I'm gonna flip it back over to you, Grant. We'll talk a little bit about about the Timberwolves. Uh, Cat Gone, Julius Randold coming into the space. So we've talked a lot about this in the show, about secondary play creation too. Randal does bring that, but doesn't give the same spacing that Kat does. But they get de Vincenzo to come off the bench. One of the concerns I had was does de Vincenzo now stunt what could have been a very productive rookie year for Rob Dillingham. Maybe they don't need to be worried about that. But your thoughts on Minnesota's outlook now post.
Speaker 5: Trade, Yeah, I think the definitely a clunkier offense. I think a lot of what they were able to run last year relied on the shooting ability that Cat brings. I think they still have, you know that relatively with naz reid Off the bench. But if you're starting, you know, Julius Randall, I don't think you can really do as much like with like their horns, flair stuff and all that type of like double drag screening actions. I think it's just a lot less effective when you're replacing Kat with Julish Randall. I think he could still like kind of get into more stagnant stuff out of that where he's making a play after you know, potential to switch or something. But I just think with the way they were able to really like poll centers out of the paint, make them really think and open things up to make it simplified for Rudy in the paint that you know, kind of made the most out of what they could. And I think it's just going to get a little clunkier offensively because they also don't have that much for I think shot creation and just general you know, support around Anthony Edwards in terms of like established production. Like, I think there's also some limitations, uh, you know, I think like the size for Dante Divincinzo, Like sometimes it really stands out when he's trying to make a play and he's drawing two defenders and I think he's gonna draw like relatively often with the the you know, offensive players that they have, and I think Anthony Edwards is gonna have to really like transcend uh you know what they have around him in that regard, where he's just gonna have to be like taking even step higher with his like ability to you know, knock down off the dribble shots on the pull ups. He's gonna have to you know, really uh, you know, attack the rim with the plan and you know, be efficient.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: And I think, you know, which is what was gonna be the case regardless. I just I just don't think it fits as well anymore. And I think defensively, uh, they were great last year. I don't think I think that the blueprints there to where they can really kind of cover up whatever you think you need to cover up with Joyce Randall. But offensively they were already kind of underwhelming. I think they were like seventeenth in offensive rating, and I think they're gonna have a tougher time operating. And that's just for a team that already need to get better in that regard. It just felt like a financial trade more than a basketball trade in my opinion.
Speaker 4: So I think we're gonna.
Speaker 3: Real quick on that. So just you know, before we transition, we got to talk a little bit Warriors too, before we get out of this tier, this very very chunky tier. Do you think Randall stays in Minnesota because that's that exact same situation. It was a lot of the finances they feel like, ah, maybe we can be somewhat in the same ballpark talent wise, but he does have you know, this is his contract year. So do you think he ends up staying in Minnesota or are able to move him? You know, things aren't going well.
Speaker 5: I think it'll definitely make a lot of sense to try to trade him. It's just a matter of like what interest they'll get around the league, because sometimes you know, like as you guys all know, when you want to trade someone, but no one really wants to make that other side of the in a way that fits for you. Not saying no one will want Joyce Randall, but I'm saying, like, what are you getting back mid season? That is so like I guess you could say, like, you know what, I think that would fill out the holes that we have on our roster. The money works, the assets work, Let's let's agree.
Speaker 4: To this trade.
Speaker 5: I think there there's a lot of restrictions I feel like that they might run into with that, But I definitely think ideally, if you know, you were to kind of simulate their season, I do think probably moving on at some point would make the most sense, just because I think their ideal plays out with Rudy, Like just for all the things I was mentioning, I think it's just it's it's a little clunky, and I think when it gets clunky for you know, a guy like Rudy, it's a little a little challenging to get enough output offensively because I think even in Utah when he was at his best, it was that like super spread out, like high pick and roll, and you know.
Speaker 4: They really simplified it for him.
Speaker 5: I think he's someone that kind of struggles when he has to you know, post up himself or you know, shot fake and you know, get a defender to fly by him and finishing the paint. Like, I think that's just stuff that he's gonna have to do more that he's not necessarily effective at.
Speaker 4: And I think that, you know.
Speaker 5: More so playoffs is a concern, but I think regular season there'll be some limitations more that they'll have offensively than they had before, and they already needed to be steps above what they were last year.
Speaker 1: Damn it, man, I feel like we can speak for another fifteen twenty minutes to talk about the Minnesota Timbleves and what this move impact would have, not just specifically for the team itself, but also the landscape about what might happen come the off season depending upon what happens with this Minnesota Timberwles team. But we'll have Grant put that in your back pocket because we will be bringing you on for that soon enough. All right, so I mentioned it, we need to talk about the Golden State Warriors. I find it interesting Sean, it you felt like Golden State Warriors. I'm sorry, La Lakers, the Memphis Grizzlies, the Timberwolves safe place.
Speaker 2: Let's put them somewhere in the middle of the pack. Why would why would.
Speaker 1: We want the Warriors be quote unquote in that safe space as well too?
Speaker 2: Why why is it that we cannot kill the Warriors?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Why why is it that that that vibe cannot you know, be killed. Is it because it's Steph Curry? Is it because they really do still have some talented players that you know? It keeps them in that in the realm of that conversation, given the landscape of what we've been talking about with the rest of these other the middle of the pack teams.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you answered it. It's Steph Curry as again. You know, I think warriors loyalist will say, as long as we have Steph, we have a chance, and I think that that holds true, at least a chance to be in the play in, you know, even in the middle of the pack. And you know, I think full full, full transparency. The Worries rank roughly about eighth, you know, when we take our aggregate thing here, and it makes a lot of sense, you know, from where they're at. While I will sing Stef's praises until the cows come home, I don't and then excuse me, you know, people will call me casual. I'm sure I don't see what people see in Jonathan Kaming guy guy Like he's cool in all, but I just don't get it, Like there everyone wants this leap from him, but it's just for me, Like he just seems like a rotation guy who can score it a little bit. But I don't see all the all of the tools I.
Speaker 1: Have an opinion about that part of it Shaw, but again we would open up Pandora's boxing the conversation and stuff like that. Let me just say this, Steve Kerr, This to me is an interesting dynamic because we've been speaking about this for quite some time on his inability to really help coach up the talent, and when he does coach up the talent, he doesn't use the talent nearly as much as he relies on his core what used to be his core four. So that's the reason why I'm going to speak to this thing about the Jonathan kaminga thing I think we all wanted to see it all happen. I just don't think that the type of offense and the way that this team has been built around Steph Curry, which is not Steph Curry's fault, but the way that this team has been built around it marginalizes what we're hoping that we're gonna see from the Pasminskis, from the kamingas from the Moodies. I mean, list off the number of guys who have been cool, nice key role players of moments, but now suddenly, you know what I'm saying, We can't speak about them because they've only get a half a season of where they're actually flourishing, and then they just fall off into the abyss of unknowing this as a warrior player like that irks me, but I've always spoken about that.
Speaker 2: As far as my biggest pet peeve with Steve Kerr, well.
Speaker 3: They seem to be hell bens on not training Pajemski on anything unless they're getting like a super superstar back. So the fact that he was the lynchpin holding up a marketing deal was somewhat surprising to me. I mean, depending on what you believe out there in terms of the rumors, but they seem to be high on him, which means, hey, you'll probably play you know, plus minutes going into this addition to Buddy Heal was cool. You know, you get you know, a Walmart version I guess of Clay, But I mean he is one of the league leaders in threes, so I'm not trying to diminish that in any capacity. But he doesn't bring anything on the defensive side whatsoever. I think it's Delon Wright now that right, who they got you know, to help out kind of in the in the backcourt as well too, and those are all solid moves. Right, solid moves, but it all kind of lynchpins on what kind of player is Draymond Greenslaw at this stage? And is Andrew Wiggins focused enough and doesn't have, you know, all the things happening in his personal life where he can contribute on a regular basis. I sound really down on them, I'm not. It's just I'm concerned, but I just feel like because Steph's gravity on a regular night to night basis is just so so massive, it kind of they win despite themselves and despite what everybody want to say about Steve Currt times. But I'll kick it to you, Grant, just your thoughts on some of those key guys, and you know, am I just off base of what am I missing here on the Johnathan cominga train that everybody else is on.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think for the most part they definitely are like I guess you coulday they leave that feel of an incomplete team where they have the great player at the top. You know, Draymond Green when he's at the top of his game is like a game changing defender with his versatility. There's a lot to like with that, but there are just a lot of questions they have, Like when you hear in training camp who is our starting center? Like should we play Draymond at the five? Like that's kind of awkward, And then you already you also have perimeter concerns too, like who's gonna start on the wing, Like it's kind of kind of awkward there, And they always seem to have this thing where it's like they can't quite I think, I think I know what you're talking about with Kamina, because I think every single time it gets to talking about lineups, there's always this thing of like, well, Kaminga is a four, but Draymond's a four, but he can play the five, but we want a five out there for our defense.
Speaker 4: So it's like they just have.
Speaker 5: This weird identity of like they don't have like this base thing that just fits really cleanly and works. It's always like a work in products. Tonight, Well you can get away with Kaminga and Draymond in the center. Well the next night, we can't really do that, So we're gonna go small with dre at the five. And then all of a sudden, that really opens up Kaminga offensively, because you know, last year they even did some like creative stuff we where Clay was screening for him or go screening, and that opened up a straight line drive to go hard right and just play through contact. And he's got the physical talent to do that. But you know, I think they also haven't really leaned into diversifying and trusting the offense enough to where it's like, all right, well screw it, let's just see what Cominga could do in a high pick and roll. Can he make the reads we need him to make? And what does he look like if we do it for stretches where we can then kind of attack from different points, have Steph you know, be stationed in different situations take some pressure off him. But instead it's more like within the flow and they're having like a perimeter player, go screen and stuff like that, and sometimes they'll have like the you know tray S, Jackson Davis's and Loony's you know screen as well. But I just think there hasn't been this like clean identity where his skill set is fully like proven and trusted and it fits within the like just core what they want to do. It just seems like they're always going to have these questions until they really like figure it out one way and then live with the consequences one way or another, because if they do think it's not the clean fit, and uh, you know, like okay, can you really go forward with dre and Kaminga? If not, what are you doing? Like what move can you make? And that's where it gets in the whole point of well, in the summer, you were linked to Paul George, but reportedly weren't willing to move some of those pieces like a Kaminga to make that deal happen. So then you know, like how invested are you in this current timeline? It gets into this like the weeds was Paul George is too expensive at that proportion with him wanting the max and everything. I know he was willing to take a little less for the Warriors based off the reporting that I read. But you know, just overall, it's like a lot of just constant questions where it just seems like they're always putting out fires instead, you know, like having this great identity grant.
Speaker 1: You know what is interesting to what you just said. I just thought about this, maybe it is something that is being factored into as well. This has always also been a problem with me about the Golden State Warriors, is the identity of Steph Curry. Do you want Steph Curry to be the primary ball scorer or do you want Steph Curry to be the primary floor general? And at times when you ask him to be the primary floor general, it's with the intent that he is involving everyone and getting everyone set up and putting everyone in the best position possible to make things offensively easier for Steph Curry. And I feel like part of the struggle is what version of Steph do you want to encompass or encapsulate the identity of the offensive system that Steve Kerr is still trying to run, because you're not running that same kind of system with the guys that you've had previously on your championship runs.
Speaker 2: Wiggins is not the same.
Speaker 1: You don't have Klay Thompson, Drey doesn't shoot the ball as much, if not at all any more. So you have all of these other ancillary players that you're trying to bring up. And if the intent is is that they can't go out and get buckets on their own, are you asking Steph to get them in a position to get buckets for you? Are you asking Steph to be Steph Curry who has been doing what he does, which is being you know, on a nightly night night out. Basis absolutely the most remarkable scoring player that the game has ever seen. And I just feel like that is also one of the struggles that they have, which is why they're hesitant to pull the trigger on some of the deals, because you would probably think that Steph can make something happen and work far better with Laurie markin in than he's been trying to do with the Jonathan Kaminga to Shaw's point, if we don't think that Kaminga is that guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I don't think he's that guy. I mean they got to work in Kyle Anderson now as well too, for whatever that's worth. And it was Melton not.
Speaker 2: Right, I guess the Anthony Melton.
Speaker 3: But Melton is on this roster as well too. And one thing happened within last year and I'll we'll move on here from this. But the Warriors, to Grant's point, they had various iterations because of injuries, right, but especially last year. I think they played a lineup for like seven games. All right, that worked, Oh that's not working anymore? A right, well, let's let's do this now. And it was like little chunks where they kept trying to tweak and tweak and tweak and tweak, and again, yes, some of that is injury ridden, but it's because they don't have the ultimate confidence in the roster or the runway to let some of the younger guys just go out here and continue to make mistakes, you know, because they do have to appease Curry, you know in the timeline that he's in KURR right now, because there's just not at a whole lot of time for him left in that So if Moses Moody and Kaminga and Jemski and those guys aren't ready to rock tray Jackson Davis, you know, those minutes are going to get toyed with on a regular basis. But I still feel like Golden State can put enough points on the board on a regular basis. We saw they just put up like thirty threes or something like that or maybe some ridiculous in the preseason. You know, So if that's the way that they're going to go, you know, air quote, you know, copycat style, you know what I mean in the NBA, and they can have that level of efficiency on necessarily on a regular basis. But pseudo pseudo regular. Then yeah, they're gonna be right there and they're gonna be a problem for a lot of teams out there. All right, cal let's move on, you know, to the contenders in the West.
Speaker 1: We hope you're enjoying this week's edition of the Baseline with Cali and warren Shaw. If you're enjoying today's show, be sure to give us a like or subscribe in our YouTube channel. Your support helps us keep bringing you the best and discussing the hot button topics in the NBA. We're Baseline with Cali and Warrenshaw.
Speaker 3: Don't go away, all right, cal Let's move on, you know, to the contenders.
Speaker 1: Let's move on to the contenders, Cali Warrenshaw, Basline NBA Podcast with our special guests Grant Asset of Dallas Hoops Journal.
Speaker 2: All right, we don't have drum roll.
Speaker 3: After yeah, after effect, all right.
Speaker 1: So for our contenders, right, these are obviously the teams that we amply believe will be you know, in the thick of it and ultimately are you know, going to be you know, the teams to beat you know, in the in the Western Conference. And so as what we have listed for our contenders, the Phoenix Suns, Dallas Mavericks, Oklahoma City Thunder, Denver Nuggets. Grant, I know you'd feel some kind of way somehow we had the Dallas Mavericks on the outskirts of such things. So you're you're good, No, but all seriousness, obviously, our selections is, you know, clearly what the Dallas Mavericks have shown us with the Oklahoma City Thunder have shown us, the Denver Nuggets have shown us, and what I guess we're potentially believing or buying into is to what the Phoenix Suns should give us. Right, how much of that do we think that it's the Phoenix Suns should be that team more so than it was the Minnesota Temperwolves from last year, or how much of it is about the Minnesota Temperwolves and the trade that they made that pushing them a step back that we have to say, well, of all the other teams that we have to go with, let's just go with the Phoenix Suns. How much of it is Phoenix Sun's talent or how much of it is Minnesota Timberwolves taking a step back.
Speaker 5: I think it's probably both, honestly, because I think there's just gonna be tough offensively unless Ant plays as just like just brilliant half court offensive, like highly efficient, consistently great basketball in the playoff setting, I think it's going to be tough for them to generate enough and Phoenix, I think they already, to their credit, won forty nine games with all of the stuff that they had, like the roster holes, trying to navigate that first year of the you know, the second Apron. So I think, you know, we're getting two efficient point guards, you know, that are steady hand and you can trust them. I think that enhances what they have. I'm still I'm not necessarily like a big fan of anything that they have at the center position right now. I think a rim protector that could you know, finish on the role better would be a cleaner.
Speaker 4: Fit for them.
Speaker 5: So I'm not really sure what they can do with Nurkic, Like I don't know, if you know, there's maybe a mid season opportunity there for them on the trade block or anything of that nature. They're just so restricted by what they can do where I feel like I see the vision of what they want to do. I think they have the talent to be you know, effective team, But I just don't ness. I think they're still missing that, you know, that that impact at the five to really tie it all together in Minnesota. You know, I just think offensively, I just need to see I just need to see how they're gonna.
Speaker 4: Utilize Julius Randall.
Speaker 5: I know they they're kind of got that belief of, you know, this relationship with Chris Finch from their time on the New Orleans Pelicans. I just need to see a little more of how that's gonna look and you know how everyone else around him responds to it too, Because I see the best case scenario I understand it, where he's a more like aggressive score. You know, he can maybe get you those like ugly buckets in the playoffs. You know that maybe Carltown struggled to do, especially against the Mavericks, Like I always like was looking at that matchup entrying that series as like, okay, so PJ. Washington, how is he going to hold his own against the guy like kat like six foot seven.
Speaker 4: PJ.
Speaker 5: Washington should probably be getting scored on, you know, relatively often, you know, for a star big man with the skill that Carl Towns has, well, he held his own for much of that series and there were some just underwhelming performances in bad times from Kat that really I think plagued them in the Western Confers finals.
Speaker 4: So I think, like, you.
Speaker 5: Know, if you had Joyce ran on there, maybe those like uh, you know, put your head down, make a play, like not necessarily as you drew it up, sort of scoring.
Speaker 3: Opportunities what they need.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So you.
Speaker 5: So I think, like that's not really like an identity that you want to like rely on on a nightly basis.
Speaker 1: So so, grant you, you have a lot more confidence going into this season. And obviously you you know, you know, because you've been watching this Dallas Mavericks team so far, you have a lot more common about this Dallas Mavericks team being even better defensively. I know that the knock was about how the Dallas Mavericks were not a good team defensively until they made those moves, and then they were arguably like a top three, top five team defensively the second half of the year on their way to the NBA Finals. So you have even more confidence with the way things are that the Dallas Mavericks defensively can even be better than what they showed us the second half of this year and with basically a full season of PJ Washington under you know, the kid flagship sort of speak as to how he can help command everything defensively for them to be formidable now not just offensively, but also defensively.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I definitely think, you know, when you also part of like, I definitely have like that, you know, that natural bias because I watched them and I know a lot more about them than all these other teams. I just think, you know, at the start of last year, rem protection is such a big part of what any defense does. I think, especially in the regular season, Derek Live was getting his first exposure to the NBA. He looked like he was overpowered by Minnesota's you know, Rudy and Kat Duo and Abu Dhabi. Uh during the global games before the regular season started, and uh, you know, he responded very well. In the second game. I thought he looked much better. And then you know, he throughout the whole season. I felt like he, you know, saw a matchup second time, for the most part, he would handle it much better.
Speaker 4: And uh, you know he's a fast learner. All that stuff.
Speaker 5: Enough about Derek Lively, but just like you know, now he's going to be second season, they're able to diversify their schemes a lot more. They didn't necessarily want to put too much on his play early last year, so they waited till later in the year to mix in more switching, more veer switching, all that stuff. That worked quite well, especially in the playoffs, until they ran into just such a good team like Boston. Uh they that had just such the shooting ability and just the four threats on the floor, uh that can attack off the dribble at all times. I really like stress them. But you know, they're just I think just adding in another guy with a similar skill set for the whole year, like Daniel Gafford behind him. That provides, you know, a higher floor in my opinion, because if there is an injury for Derek Lively, they're not relying on Dwight Pale or whatever like Maxi Kliba to play so heavily at the five. But they still have those options with Kleiba to switch everything. But I think really where like defensively, I'm intrigued. I just get a sense that, uh like sometimes with these big moves that happen, you don't really know like the mentality of the player involved, like the Klay Thompson, but I you know, just from you know, being around him and just hearing his comments and you know, just you know, I'm still learning more about him, but I still, I really do think he has a lot of motivation to you know, win with this team, but most particularly prove himself defensively. Again, like he even talked about that, he said, I know a lot of people talked about my defense, but I you know, really feel like I am still that high level defense and I'm you know, motivated to prove it. I know words, you know that, like anyone can say anything, but I do think he's gonna compete defensively. Whether the impact is necessarily as great as you would like remains to be seen. But I think the motivation from that, you know, the buy in from that type of player, uh, definitely is part of the question that I would have when I'm evaluating them for their outlook. But I think that, you know, gives me more confidence since they have you know, a formula already like with you know Washington and you know Lively at the four and the five. So I think they're gonna be able to do more switching this year, which should help Clay, you know, within the flow of possessions should help Luke and Kyrie. But I think we also saw, like during the playoffs, it was definitely up and down with Luca. You know, he was dealing with some injuries as well in the finals, where I think just the wheels fell off defensively for him.
Speaker 4: Like I think that was just a lot of a lot.
Speaker 5: Of playoff basketball where he's taken epidurals or whatever you want to say for his chest and all this stuff. But I thought Kyrie geared up to guard some top matchups quite well. It's different in the regular season, of course, but I thought, you know, he handled like James Harden well in the Clippers series, and when he needed to step up and guard guys, he was willing to do so. I think adding Clay, my whole point, kind of tying it all together, allows them to diversify offensively enough to where maybe those top guys can you know, be a little more durable, have the stamina to guard their position, whether it's like a tough matchup like a star player that's going to try to break him down or not. But regardless, I think Luca will always be the guy teams bring up in the actions to Hunt. They just need to wear him down, like get him a little bit like less efficient throughout the course of a game. So I think that's still going to remain the core of how teams attack them. And I think also on the flip side, the Mavericks are still always going to try to find the weak link shooting wise in the other team kind of you know, try to respect that shooter pack the paint, maybe do cross matching a little more since they can trust Lively to switch more and you know, live with the results with that one. That worked really well throughout the playoffs up until facing a team where you know there was no where you can hide anymore.
Speaker 4: If you will.
Speaker 3: Against Boston, I'll jump in only from the aspect where with Dallas too, I like the addition of Naji Marsha. I don't know if he's going to play exactly the Derek Jones roll verbatim per se, but I think, you know, in a kind of bizarrero type of situation, I'll get some of those minutes and do some of those same some same things. Clay just add somebody else who can get hot in an instant, you know, so he knocks down two in a row then like you're you're like, oh shit, like there's good, there's gonna be problems. So Dallas is obviously going to get right here at the top of the Western Conference competing. I think Phoenix is a team similarly that we've kind of grandfathered into this to this tier because of the talent. They still, despite all their roes last year, as I think grand alluded to, still won forty nine games. Get coach, but over there now to try to bring some different some organization in addition to the point guard play, they should be right there. They're the team I have the least amount of respect for actually winning it, but and I respect is maybe too strong of a terminology, but I'm least confident in their ability to do that. But the talent is obviously clearly there for them to be to be right here in this mix. Well, what comes down to this now? And I think the preseason is starting to show some some concerns for you know, the good old Denver Nuggets. They might have lost too much. And while jo Kisch is still right there and it's going to be a parental MVP guy, this a lot of the hinges on Jamal Murray's ability to be I don't think it can be a Western Conference All Star. And they don't even need him to be. They need him to be Jamal Bubble Jamal Murray all the time, especially when it comes to the playoffs. If he can get back to a certain level of health, Denver is always going to have a chance. But losing KCP and and and losing Brown and guys like that over the last couple of years seems to have taken a little bit of a chunk out of them. I don't know if Christian Brown and stops the name Julius, I just don't know if they're if they're ready to step up into this into this space right now. And so they're giving me a little bit of a pause. Despite where I think I ranked them. I did rank them third, you know, in in in my in my in my top tier here. But if they were if they were to fall or to stumble a little bit, I would not be that surprised, because I just I'm not getting warm and fuzzies about the entirety of their roster, especially when it comes to depth and their ability to to compete in this And we'll see what Russ, you know, brings into this equation as well. Finally, for me, okay See, I don't know how either of you don't have the number one and it's fine, you know, this is what this is what debates are for. They were the number one seed last year. Well, I think Dallas did a lot. I don't know that they've done enough to your suit your s okay See, especially with the ditions of Crusoe and Hartenstein a year three. Jaileen Williams, who is my young son. I love that dude, as as do a lot of guys. I really feel like, okay See has it together and coach daghanah as well too, as one of the better ones out there. To me, this is their conference in essence, not necessarily to lose, but it's it's Dallas and them to me. Everybody else too many questions for me to even give much consideration to. But I was a little surprised that y'all didn't have as much faith that you didn't. It's not like you had them twelfth or fifteenth, but you didn't have as much faith as them winning the Western Conference as I seem to do.
Speaker 1: Because I just wonder whether or not if we're talking about total wins of the season. I just feel like the Denver Nuggets and maybe what we'd have to do is crack out the schedules and see, you know who who has the ability to have more sustainability in the kind of and the wins and where and where those wins come from at what particular timeframe. I think that teams like the Oklahoma City Thunder, as young as they are, they do hit a wall, you know, where they go to a stretch of games playing against the best teams in the Eastern Conference, and you know, they suddenly are the top team in Western Conference. Then to become third, you know, and a team like the Denver Nutuggets have proven that they just know how to win games. Remember last year, the second half of the season, they were hanging around fourth or fifth and then catapulted themselves to number one, and then injuries unfortunately compromise them where they knock them out of being the number one seed. So in a way, the Oklahoma City Thunder lucked themselves into it because they had a favorable schedule that allowed them to win the kind of games they needed to for them to sustain being number one. But it basically came down to the wire so I seen that no difference between the Nuggets, the Mavericks, and the Thunder. I feel it's interchangeable. I think it could swing any way, shape or form. The only difference is the reason why it's hard for me to put the Mavericks there is because I think if their schedule puts them in a position where they got to play more of their teams in the Southeast, rather than you know, teams that you're playing in the Northwest, where you've got the Jazz, You've got.
Speaker 2: The Timberwolves, and who knows where those two teams will be.
Speaker 1: It may favor either the Thunder or the Nuggets to get more wins to put them to be the number one seed than when the Mavericks, who may have stretch of games where they're playing against the Pelicans, the Rockets and all of them may have something to play for, may make it tougher. And if you're excuse me, Jason Kidd, who's as savvy a veteran coach as any, if he feel it necessary to rest his players to get them ready for the playoff run, he's not afraid to do it because he knows that that team is capable of going out there and winning on the road. The Mavericks proved that last season. So that's the reason why, like I have the Nuggets still because as the team with the most approve I think it's important for them to do that. And part of that is predicated on the kind of play you get from Jokic and the kind of play in the shape that Jamal Murray.
Speaker 2: Should be in coming into this season.
Speaker 1: But I don't disagree with you, Shaw, I know that I would love to put the Oklahoma City Thunder as number one. I'm just saying that given the circumstance, It's it's almost tough sledding for me because I feel like if the Thunder and the Nuggets run into each other, I don't know if I believe yet the Thunder can beat a team like the Nuggets because they don't have an equal answer for a Jokics the same way that they had an answer that they could have had an answer when they played against the Dallas Mavericks and failed to get and failed to advance in the playoffs.
Speaker 3: I mean, who has an answer for your kicks? Though? Like really and truly so, I mean, yes, you got Hartenstein there, and Chatty's obviously he's mean.
Speaker 2: Damn man, you asked for the answer, I gave it to you.
Speaker 1: He just just just smudged me off to the side.
Speaker 3: I mean, even Dallas with with with Gafford and Lively, I mean, nobody really has an answer for Grant.
Speaker 1: I hope you could appreciate the answer that I provided as such, you know what I'm saying. I would think that it's a it's it's a it's a it's a great answer. Matter of fact, I think Dallas fans might adopt me as being one of as part of their fan base for such a reason if they don't become the number one seed in the Western Conference.
Speaker 2: I gave him it out.
Speaker 3: Damn it. I'm mad at it. Well, Grant, I mean, your your final thoughts on this tier are just you know, kind of like where do you see it all? Kind of like shaking out based on some of our rebottos here as well too. Obviously Dallas has your heart and you feel like that's that's there too, But do you do you share any of my concerns about and are you more on cal sidning for like, hey, you know what, they're still one of the one we know, they're one of the better teams but you know they're not going to be as taking the step back that I'm predicting.
Speaker 5: I think, for the most part, Denver, I do have similar concerns. I also, like I I did cover the Olympics and I talked to some people like with Team Canada and just definitely felt like Jamal Murray shouldn't have played like in the Olympics, Like he just meant a lot to him, like to be able to be on the floor. He's someone that struggled to be available, Like even like the year prior with the Feeble World Cup, he wasn't available to play and he really wanted to be part of it. So that's a little iffy to me. Like his durability for the whole NBA season, that's like I'm not sure the latest on his like physical condition and everything and like how he's looking, but like for a whole year, like a season long, uh, you know, with him, I just and and also Michael Porter Junior with his injury history from the past, not necessarily last season or you know, last two seasons, but just in general, those two guys are always people that I'm like, kind of like Kyrie Irving, like where I'm always like Okay, I gotta see if you're going to have that twelve to you know, whatever game absence, like I think, but to add a little bit more, you know, I think that point about the Southwest Division, I think that's very very accurate. I think you're a lot of talented teams that want to win, like on the schedule for the Mavericks on a nightly basis. I do think to add a little bit of insight for you know, my understanding of the team. At least last year for the Mavericks, Kyrie had this like really uncharacteristic stretch just because of like you know what I'd mentioned with injuries and stuff, where he played like I think, twenty seven straight games through the like coming out of the All Star Break, all the way through until they clinched the five seed, and then they sat him like allowed him to rest for the last two So I think they are going to always favor the home court advantage. That's a huge motivation for them because Luca Era, when they went to the conference finals those two times they were the five seed, they had to really overcome like the you know, we're the underdog, we're not favored, We're on the road to start the series and making the finals.
Speaker 4: That's that's one hell of.
Speaker 5: A thing to have to be the road team for Game one and two for four series in a row. So they understand just how valuable that's gonna be. And they've talked about that as well, like like kind of subtly, not like outright saying from the mountaintop, we need to be a home court advantage team. But they've kind of thrown in there, like Jason Kidd and you know, Luca at times has been like, you know, like get home court, like get home court. So I think, like, you know, that's gonna be a motivational factor for them if they have to value should we rest for durability or should we go for home court. I think they'll they'll they'll value the ladder. So that's kind of my baked into my estimation for the Mavericks. I had those same questions about the Nuggets, but I think for the Thunder, as you had mentioned about their regular season, I think I expect them probably to be the number one seed because they had so much, you know, advantages with health, being a younger team, and I think just from an organizational standpoint, they are really good at solving the I guess you could say the math game.
Speaker 4: Or the.
Speaker 5: Sustainability approach of like, what strategy is going to be the most efficient our play style get the three volume up what like, what style you know is going to have the most or the best points expected allowed for defense? But I think where I have a little bit of pause with them is I need to see them prove it more in a playoff series. I felt like Shake Gildos Alexander was just too much like left to have to do everything offensively against the Mavericks. Part of that, of course, was back to my strategy explanation of their defense was disrespecting guys like Josh Giddy as a shooter.
Speaker 4: But now I.
Speaker 5: Do in a way feel like them. Like committing to having Isaiah Hartenstein plays into the Mavericks benefit and to an extent, because they've always been an effective defense when there is at least one lesser shooting threat on the court, whether that's a center, whether that's an underwhelming perimeter shooter, where I think, you know, they're probably gonna live with you know, we're gonna still beat you on the boards, and you're just gonna have a harder time getting into the paint regardless. So I think I do like the additions that they made Crew so I think is great. Hartstein, I think is great. But just from an individual matchup standpoint, I still think Mavericks and Nuggets are better equipped against the thunder than you know, the opposite of that, where Oklahoma City has like founder answers for those teams. Definitely curious to see, like if Jayalen Williams takes that step forward as you guys you know, touched on, I think that changes it a little bit in the playoffs. Of course, same with Chet Holmgren. If one of those guys, I'm still waiting. I'm really waiting for them to make that big step forward where they have that rely, really reliable second option. I think Jaalen Wins was great last year, but there was just not enough of an answer when they needed it most against Dallas, and I still think that is the case until I see it like in reality, like in that high stakes moment, I think they'll end up being a great team, just needs more of those those playoff runs together to really like, uh you know see how it looks, especially with changing the complexion of their front court, you know, with Chet and Hartenshein together.
Speaker 1: All right, Grant, let's let's let's get right into it. Man, who do you have coming out of the West. Is it going to be Is it going to be defending Western Conference, you know, champions Dallas Mavericks or do you think that the outcome they play a little bit differently.
Speaker 5: I think if I'm picking it now, I do think the Mavericks is probably my most likely pick. I can definitely see the downsides of all those top team So I'm not like take it to that bank type of you know statement on that one, but definitely do think I'm I'm probably picking the Mavericks as my most likely wonder right now.
Speaker 3: Sure, yep, Okay, See, I just believe in what SGA has been able to do. I trust daganol as a coach, and I think just the additions and j Williams ched Holgren again taking proverbial leaps this year. Yes, they will struggle, I guess with some of the size that's in the Western Conference, but I believe in their ability to solve those things and get some better offense execution outside of SHA, especially when it comes to bay off time.
Speaker 1: Your thoughts l Yeah, So not that I'm trying to be down on the Oklahoma City Thunder at all. I think they exercise demons and get as far as the Western Conference Finals, but then they will run into the Dallas Mavericks and I think Kyrie Irving, Yuka Doncic. I just think that that is such a formidable group that I just think it's too much to overcome in the second year. It duration of what the Okay Okay See Thunder does. Now if during the course of the year, Sga and Williams and those guys you know by leaps and bounds show that they are capable of running with those type of big dogs, meaning watching what they do in their head to head matchups, that could give me reasons to change. They think differently about that. I think it's baby steps. I think what they need to do is they need to get to the Western Conference finals. You cannot be a top seed, can't be a number one seeded team again this year. And people are still saying that you guys are true not number one seeds and stuff. I know they don't have to listen to that noise. I'm just saying I would understand why that's the settiment, because when you look at how that team is built. It looks like they're built to win a ton of games, but against the teams that are gonna cause mismatches, they need that much more of a better performance from their star players, and they may be too young to understand how to get to that point just yet. And I think if the roadblock is gonna be playing either the Denver Nuggets or playing the Dallas Mavericks, I still think that it's gonna be a roadbot. But it doesn't mean that they will not make themselves closer to having that kind of thought process or settlement that they deserve to be in the Western Conference finals or that they should be playing in the NBA Finals if they're able to do such things. I just think that the Dallas Mavericks, with this version of Irving, with hopefully and improved Luca, I think that they're going to wind up being the team to beat yet again.
Speaker 3: Well, Grant, we thank you so much for tapping in here with us on the baseline for this Western's Conference preview. Tell the people where they can find your work. What do you have going on next here? As you're covering the Mavericks in the NBA throughout the course of this regular season.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for sure, I'm doing a combination of stuff. A lot of daily Mavericks content on Dallas Hoops Journal dot com. It's a sub stack, you know, that had started in the offseason, and then also just a lot of just general NBA content, like one on one interviews with guys like.
Speaker 4: Recently like Lauri Markinin.
Speaker 5: You know, Marcus Smart and Zach Edy, basically the teams that are coming to play the Mavericks and sometimes Mavericks players. I'll be doing those on Sportskeida dot com and then you know, some later down the road this season, some like occasional things on Bleach Report as well. But yeah, definitely a lot of Mavericks on Dallas Hoops Journal dot com for sure.
Speaker 1: Well, Grant, we hope we're able to get you on at some point during the course of the regular season. But thank you so much for you know, hopping on board for helping shake things up in our preseason rankings. I think we would have been too much kumbaia and all this together now had it not been for you. We appreciate you mixing things up and making things so much more interesting because.
Speaker 2: You know me, I'm just so mundane with my my preseason selections, as Shaw may have alluded.
Speaker 4: To, Yeah, thanks for having me.
Speaker 5: I really enjoyed the conversation, and I definitely look forward to having you know more throughout the course of the season, for.
Speaker 1: Sure, Brother Shaw, Brother Shaw, Brother Shaw. What more can be said? Man, A great, great, great conversation with a man Grant af Seth who covers the Dallas Mavericks. But you know, listen, there's no What I appreciate is that there is no high level of biasness sort of speak, you know, like the intent is just to prop up the Dallas Mavericks. You should prop up the Dallas Mavericks because they proved that they were one of the best teams in the Western Conference last year, second half of that season, going all the way to the NBA Finals, And there's no reason for you do not think otherwise. But I think I equally respect the fact that he looks at the landscape of those other top tier teams and he says, listen, it's still not gonna be an easy climb come next year, despite what we saw from the Dallas Mavericks. You know, their teams there that are going to have a say as to whether or not this will be an easy path to get back there again, or they're gonna run into some roadblocks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the West is loaded slower at the top, it's sloaded at the bottom, you know, in the middle as we as we lose too. So I think, you know, for those you know, if you're just kind of tapping in, you know where we landed. A lot of rebound teams San Antonio, Utah and Portland playing in Sacramento, Houston and the Clippers, middle of the pack, the chunkiest of the tiers, Minnesota, the Lakers, the Warriors, the Pelicans, and the Grizzlies, and our contenders. Okay, see Dallas, Denver and the Phoenix Suns. And I think as Grant was talking about Dallas specifically, yeah, he's he's he's tied in, he's locked into that. He knows a little bit about more about them. But they did have a miraculous run, if you will, not miraculous, but an improved run that got into the NBA Finals, especially after the All Star break. So this is a team that should be able to have a certain level of success, success early on because everybody's there from the very beginning. Now, So Dallas is right there in the mix as is okay, see as is Denver and maybe even to leuster degree, the Phoenix Suns. It's always love to hear what our friends and family have to say about this. Please please please tap in. Let us know in the comments. Where do we get wrong? Where would you have slot? You know Cal's Lakers, Now that's going to be a thing for the entirety of the season. And I guess you know my Grizzlies. You know, as Cayl thinks the Grizzies the thirteenth best team in the Western Conference. So let us know in the comments. Hit us up on our social media platforms. As always, man, the baseline is always rocking.
Speaker 1: With real quick So I meant to ask you, do you think that the San Antonio Spurs are much closer to playing ready than Lottery Brown ready. I'm just saying, I know that we discussed you know what'll happen if things don't go the way it does.
Speaker 2: But what I'm saying is is that that gap that we're talking about.
Speaker 1: As equally as I was dropping the Memphis Grizzlies, I was also elevating the San Antonio Spurs. I'm just curious if you think that they are playing worthy of such with the currently constructed team and with the high level, elevated levels of expectation about how we see Victim and Minyama being that force multiply.
Speaker 3: Welenby might be the rising tide right that lifts all ships here, and san Antonio is going to figure that out in the short order how quick that that is going to happen with veteran guys and Chris Paul and Harrison Barnes on the inte. But if they realize it's not quite ready, then they need to abandon ship pun intended relatively quickly and then you know, try to see if they can get into that top one or top two, you know, pick situation. And I think you would be devastating. I mean, the league would hate them for years to come if they were able to land Cooper flag and pair them alongside Wemby. Uh So, if I'm san Antonio, I think you've done what you needed to do to show Wenby some sumone's of good faith by getting some veteran guys there. Chris Paul is obviously going to help, you know, Stephan Vassal you know from from Yukon in whatever time that he has there to kind of groom him as well too, and that will both bode well for the San Antonio Spurs in the future. But if it's me, listen, I not that I'm trying to piss one by off, but I'd be trying to get into that, you know, into that top one, number two pick again if possible. But you know, we'll we'll see how things go here in the early part of the season. Those first fifteen games will determine a lot of things from the Spurs.
Speaker 1: Well. I appreciate the confidence that you have in your San Antonio Spurs as well too.
Speaker 2: Not like, oh, that's that's our boy, shout out to our man nuts.
Speaker 1: Anyway, for those for those who've been watching, you know, thank you for hopping on board with us this week. For those who've been listening, thank you for hopping on board with us this week. For the baseline, Kylie warren Shaw, we appreciate you guys, you know, we do that.
Speaker 2: We'll catch up with you next time.