Speaker 1: Coming to you from the dining room table at East Barbury Lane. Welcome to another special episode of Full Circle the podcast. I am your host, Charles Tyson Jr. And today I'm thrilled to be sitting down with my guest. She is a New York Times bestselling author. She has written an amazing and fun and dark book darkly fabulous will call it. It is called Girl Dinner, and I am excited to have Olivi Blake in the house. Hi, Olivi, how are you.
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm great, Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I love this book.
Speaker 2: Thank you. It was a great place to start.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure what people are going to be of it, Honestly, I'm still very nervous.
Speaker 1: I mean, well, it tickled that part of my brain that you know, I love, I love. I was a gender studies minor, so it was like, yes, give it to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I was.
Speaker 3: I studied urban planning in public policy, so very much, you know, in the under the umbrella of sociology. This is very much chapping into how have I been trained to think right.
Speaker 1: Right, right right? I guess the best place to start is tell us what Girl Dinner is about.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Girl Dinner is about the House.
Speaker 3: It's the most prestigious, unnamed sorority on this equally unnamed and elite university campus. And there are two perspectives. There's Nina, who's the nineteen year old who's rushing the house. She didn't have a great freshman year, but she's very ambitious. She's super hungry, you know, she really wants big things for her life, and she sees the house as her opportunity to become one of those you know, powerful, beautiful, perfect women that she's seen come out of it. And then there the other character is Sloan. She's thirty three. She is an adjunct professor, and she's just taken a step, you know, sideways slash kind of backward in her career in order to join her husband, who is a professor at the same university. She has been with her daughter, her newborn daughter, for the last eighteen months, and.
Speaker 2: She's just now going back to work.
Speaker 3: So she's having sort of the crisis of being the postpartum woman who's her clothes don't fit and her brain only works like thirty percent of the time.
Speaker 2: That is very familiar to me.
Speaker 3: And she also crosses paths with the house by way of its alumnae. So she is looking at these women who have come out of the house and is like, Wow, how do they have it all? How are they achieving all these things that I'm struggling with. And so as both Nina and Sloane come to realize exactly how these women do have it all, it's kind of they're kind of asked, you know, what does power mean to them? And what are they willing to sacrifice for it?
Speaker 1: And so much more.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that was It's really really Girl Dinner started as a punchline. I mean it was when obviously obviously that's a reference to the meme I'm not on TikTok, so like it reached me, like last I like to joke that it reached me as you know Anne Hathaway's cerulean sweater, you know, like trickled down to me. And so then I was like, wouldn't it be funny if I wrote a satire about a cannibal sorority and called it girl Dinner and enough people laughed that here we are.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I'm glad you said cannibalism because I was trying to figure out how to talk about it without talking about right.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, we can just talk about it. The thing is that.
Speaker 3: I when I wrote this, or when I when I told my editor and she's like, you have to write that, I was like, don't you think there's been a lot of cannibal books recently?
Speaker 2: Like I had read a lot, at least four or.
Speaker 3: Five books in twenty twenty three where it was like the surprise twist is cannibalism.
Speaker 2: And I was like, if we're if I'm.
Speaker 3: Going to do this, if I'm going to contribute to the canon of cannibalism, then I want it to be to not turn on the twist like that. You can kind of know the whole way through that you're like, oh God, they're cannibals, aren't they.
Speaker 1: So well it was funny because I was like, Okay, so they're cannibals. Wait, they're witches, Wait they're vampire, They're gonna be all of them watched Luckily there was no wrong answer, and yeah, I love it, And and part of me is like, hmmm, do I have a list? But I don't think many of the people on my list would be very nutritious for anyone. I also love the themes of what is a good woman? I'm putting that in their quotes and is there such a thing?
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, that's really the question. Bok is not trying to answer the question. I will just say that straight up. I think there's been a lot of people have been like, oh, girl Dinner is like the start of this fem gore trend or something, which it absolutely is not. Girl Dinner is very much like in conversation with what I already see as an identifiable trend, Like there's you know, the woman having a meltdown is like pretty much my favorite literary subgenre, and this is a book that is very much one of those. But I think what's different about Girl Dinner is that it's like it already it already knows about those books, right, Like it already it's having it's like breaking the fourth wall while it's having its melt down, you know, because when I'm asking the question what is a good woman?
Speaker 2: And really I'm asking the question if we already know, if there's already been so.
Speaker 3: Much media Barbie Movie included that suggests that the answer to can women have it all?
Speaker 2: Is no? Then what do we get to have?
Speaker 3: If the answer is little treats like are we functioning in the postgirl boss little treats economy like that should not be good enough for you, That shouldn't be good enough for anyone. And so I think part of the question of what are you willing to do to be a good woman? And in what ways can you have blind spots? In what ways can your understanding of your own suffering or victimhood be myopic? I think it's this. I really wanted to lean into the dissonance of what is real suffering, Like what is power that we actually don't have? What are resources that we really don't have, and what do we think that power is right?
Speaker 1: And and that's the thing. It's like this conversation all lies on the foundation rickety as it is of the power structure, that of the patriarchy. And that's like a house of cards built on a sand dune, you know, as we're kind of seeing, it's like it's all smoke and mirrors. And now it's like, you know, they're showing us the smoke and the mirrors, and we're still like, ooh, look at the castle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my okay, My whole thing this is I think some women may find it frustrating that this is not a man hating book or like, this is not a book about revenge against men. This is a book that's like, what is the patriarchy doing to you?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: And So the reason that I have to point that out is because I think sometimes people go into this expecting one thing. There's a lot of media that I that I put under the Girl Boss umbrella, which is the kind of thing where, you know, I think in the twenty tens, it was very hot to be like, well, you know, if we just if we just use these products and if we just you know, embrace our sexuality and beauty is power, and you know, all this the lean in and all this stuff, and you know, we just do these things.
Speaker 2: It'll be fine.
Speaker 3: And we're at a place now where it's like, Okay, that didn't work, but all is not lost, right, because I think if we can all collectively voice the patriarchy as a problem, the patriarchy is the problem, what do we do about it? And my concern is that at this juncture, people are going the wrong way, right, Like tradwives should not be the answer, true women not being able to have it all. Right.
Speaker 2: I understand. The thing is that I am sympathetic.
Speaker 3: I am sympathetic to the younger generations of women who feel like I don't want to do the you know, chuggy millennial go get them girl boss thing. You know, I get it that, like you're looking at what we did and you think it's corny, and you know, people make a joke of the pussy hats or whatever, but like it did something right because it allowed women to women. And you know, I'm using women as a very broad term here to recognize that there's more we could have, there's more we should have, right, And I understand that one one outcome of that is to be like, well, I'm not even gonna try, right, Like, if the road, you know, if the road to having it all is doomed to fail, then all right, trad wifery it is.
Speaker 2: But that's a huge problem.
Speaker 3: I mean, the whole the whole concept, really, Girl Dinner is just kind of it's just feminism question mark.
Speaker 2: And it's like, what does your feminism look like?
Speaker 3: Because if your feminism, if your feminism has exceptions anywhere, right, if your if your feminism does not, if it has exclusions, then not only is it probably not feminism, but it's doomed to fail, right, you know, like the patriarchy. Taking down the patriarchy is an uphill battle. It's systemic, it's institutional, it's like really embedded in every possible way. And so if you're saying, you know, the trans women or the disabled women or the women of color does not have a place in your movement, then there's not enough of you, period, right, And if your power is contingent on a man's power, then you don't actually have it.
Speaker 2: It's just a myth.
Speaker 3: So, and I also wanted to talk about just the pure, you know, amusing to me if it weren't so terrible hypocrisy of the tradwife concept or the concept of a traditional woman's role. When the women who are popularizing this are extremely wealthy and they're working, they're a brand, they create content. They are not traditional women, and they were given those resources by the feminists that came before them. Yeah yeah, right, yeah, so right, So you know that's why I was like, this has to be a satire. This has to be you know, it has to be funny, It has to be kind of like a left.
Speaker 2: Through nausea kind of feeling. But it also, you.
Speaker 3: Know, I recognize that like, truly conservative women are not going to read this book right, like they're like, you know, there are people that can't be helped. But I also think there's lots of people who are like, oh, I'm liberal except for this thing, or like, oh, I'm liberal, but I think Taylor Swift should be cognizant that her audience is too young for her to sing about Dix.
Speaker 2: And it's just like and it's like.
Speaker 3: Can a woman make or she wants to or not? This is a totally this is a totally minor example. It's just that this week alone, five different women have said that to me, Like, is this some sort of talking point online?
Speaker 2: I don't know, but you know, I think.
Speaker 3: It's just it's this weird like I guess I'm asking the question question, what are you policing and why?
Speaker 1: Right? We live in a post wop era, so that very argument is just.
Speaker 2: Has everyone forgotten that? I'm worried people have forgotten.
Speaker 1: That's like that was like a praiseworthy moment for me. It's like, you know, these women are talking about men the way men have been talking about women in the same genre all this time, but they're in charge and they're getting paid do that shit take off more. I don't give a shit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I you know, and so yeah, and this is the sort of this is what I mean Also by like being in conversation with all this, someone asked me recently, like what.
Speaker 2: What singular event radicalized me?
Speaker 3: Right, And that's there's nothing, you know, But I'm a woman who grew up in thee I grew up in the two thousands, so I was there, you know, when Britney Spears shaved her head and Lindsay Lohan did whatever Lindsay Lohan did, and like the whole thing would be as skinny as possible, whatever thing, all the things, you know, all the Lindsay loyand things, and you know, and and when everyone was just so cruel to like Jessica Simpson, I don't even know. And what I internalized from all of that and being biracial and not seeing anyone who looked like me and all of this is just like this feeling like I've got to be a guys girl. I've got to be a cool girl. I've got to be not like other girls. That's that's where I started from, right, And so to be where I am now, I owe all of that to the many different feminist movements that happened along the way, the.
Speaker 2: Me Too movement, for example, the pussy hats.
Speaker 3: You know, the fact that I understand, like I said, why people kind of look at the things that we did, the like hope core of the Obama era and see that as being you know, yeah, you know, mainly virtue signaling or whatever. But it was not for naught. You know, like it wasn't for nothing. Because if I can sit here and you know, say that it's actually not acceptable to laugh at jokes that objectify me, or jokes that are racist, or it's not okay, you know that there are there are things that like that I'm allowed to identify as not acceptable. I think that's like that speaks to how how far we've come socially, not just as I have matured as an individual, Like this is something that like the world has taught me.
Speaker 2: This is an attitude I can take.
Speaker 3: So, you know, while I approach many things with cynicism in this book, I think there's a lot of there's a lot of value to asking what can we do from here? Where can we go from here? That allows more of us, most of us, to have the power that we want.
Speaker 1: Right, and how much longer can we go before women actually really do snap and start biting bitches?
Speaker 2: Because I am pretty obsessed.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty obsessed with the intersection of femininity, culture and violence, Like at what point do we become violent?
Speaker 2: And what does feminine violence look like?
Speaker 1: Right? And I love it because I'm sick of man shit and I am my man, you know what I'm saying. So it's like if and I recognize that, you know, I fall on that spectrum where like someone might want to take a chunk out of my leg too, but you know what, so be it. It obviously doesn't really work anymore when men do it, Like so like at the very least, like how much worse could a woman fuck up? I mean, come on, come, oh.
Speaker 3: Great points, great points. I yeah, no, And it's you know, I have to I do. I have to emphasize it not being a man hating book, because like, I'm a woman married to a man, I have a son.
Speaker 2: It's important to me that, like it's not like we're targeting a.
Speaker 3: Group for erasure, you h of course, Well, you know, I have to say these things. There are people who need to hear.
Speaker 1: These, right, Yeah, yeah, it's just.
Speaker 3: Like it's not you know, I do think there are pitfalls to suggesting to kind of like the man hating jokes, you know, not that they shouldn't be made, not that they aren't earned, but that there still has to be a role for men. There still has to be like an understanding of what is a good man. I think that's also implied when you ask the question what's a good woman, you are necessarily asking the question what's a good man? And so, you know, it's something that I all of my works are very existential. They're really all about like what does it mean to live well? And I think some of that means removing yourself as an individual and thinking more of the collective. I guess it's existential and it's humanist. That's like, if we make things better for everyone, even people you don't like, that means it's better for everyone.
Speaker 2: Even you.
Speaker 3: And I think that's the mindset, right, That's the mindset that I find is missing from a lot of people and that I try to encourage in these roundabout ways. It's just like, you know, if we could make everybody's life a little bit better. I talk a lot about how you know, there's all, there's all this you know about the male loneliness epidemic, when really what it is is a capitalist driven loneliness epidemic that is not specific to men.
Speaker 2: Women are lonely too.
Speaker 3: And it's but but people are more in crisis over men being lonely because it's unusual because it hasn't happened before, or like women waiting longer for marriage or not getting married or not choosing to have children that is new, and so people are more worried, like what happens to the men. But the answer is everybody is lonely. If we can make things better for women, it would make things better for men.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: But again, I don't expect men to.
Speaker 3: Read this book either, so I don't really know how to reach them.
Speaker 1: I'll do my part. I'll as it's on you.
Speaker 3: Charlespread the word like.
Speaker 1: But like that whole male loneliness thing, it's like, have you met you? I wouldn't want to hang out.
Speaker 2: With you, Eve, I know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah you really? What what's the the South Korean movement? That's like a number and a letter?
Speaker 2: Is it four B?
Speaker 1: Is it something like that? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's an.
Speaker 2: Interesting it's an interesting concept.
Speaker 3: Because it's like, yeah, there, what's good about it is that it's actionable, it has a deliverable It's like, unless you give us these things that we that we want. You know, there's there's a moment in Girl Dinner. Okay, let me back up mentally.
Speaker 2: So I wrote Girl.
Speaker 3: Dinner in twenty twenty three before the twenty twenty four presidential election, and there was a moment when you know, I was going into I think it was copy ed it's and I had sort of like it's like what you know, there's a line where one of the characters, Jazz, she is she's Nina's twin sister, and she's complaining about the shirts that you see white.
Speaker 2: Women wear at yoga.
Speaker 3: You know, that's just like you know, like a you go girl boss and like she's like, I hate these shirts and all they do is benefit some CEO that's probably a man, and like and she's like, and I think the original line was that we can't have a woman in office.
Speaker 2: We're too emotional for that. And then I was like, let's be optimistic. What if Kamala wins, what if this.
Speaker 3: Happens, and like, let's you know, I don't want to be the person who accidentally like, I don't know, jinx is this. So then I changed the line too, we can't have too many women in office. We're too emotional for that, right. And then when I was then when the election actually happened and I was sort of sitting with my feelings on it, I changed that line to what it ultimately is, which is we can't have equal representation because I think that is the real deliverable, right, Like, that's the actual thing that we want, that we deserve. That is not unreasonable to ask for. You know, if the whole point is about if the model of the republic is built on representation, then it is not unreasonable to say there should be an equal number of feminine representatives. Right, That's not a crazy thing to say, it is.
Speaker 2: So yeah, And so that.
Speaker 3: Was when, you know, it was funny to just I'm using the one little line as a microcosm. But I think that's what makes the difference between the things.
Speaker 2: That I identify as like girl bossy.
Speaker 3: That's just like you know that it's just like, oh, we're just we're just complaining about men generally, We're just complaining about the state of things. No, this is a very specific complaint, and it's one that I can stand on and that feels like there's something productive to come out of.
Speaker 1: It, right, It's that whole thing like, well, not all men, to which I always respond, yeah, but enough of you motherfuckers to warrant the conversation.
Speaker 3: Exactly exactly, not all men, but certainly enough men.
Speaker 1: And always men.
Speaker 2: And always men. Yeah, someone else is saying something.
Speaker 3: One of the one of the books that I well, like the main book that I talk about in the acknowledgments, because in the acknowledgements, I'm like, this is not an educational text, Okay, Like, this is not a you know, this.
Speaker 2: Is a feminist.
Speaker 3: This is a feminist book in terms of it being a contribution to a conversation that's already happening and it's not in more productive ways in other places. And so one of the books I brought up is Hood Feminism by Mickey Kendall, which I think is a great book. It's very similar you know, studying sociology, studying public policy. It's it's how I think about things. But you know, Mickey Kendall makes points that I think not a lot of women think about that being pro gun control is a feminist stance because many women are shot and killed by their husbands, and so it's this kind of thing that's like, you don't you know, this is what when when you pick and choose what belongs to the feminist agenda, there's a danger in not being able to see these things because they don't apply to you specifically, you know, or you know, when we're when we say all cops are bad, what we mean is like a lot of cops beat their wives, and a lot of cops will cover for each other, and all these sorts of things that like, this is a feminist stance for these reasons.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's a it's it's a way to.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of people there was a lot of discourse about the Barbie movie right about it being like, you know, second wave feminism, like whatever, introductory, right, whatever, but like you have to start somewhere, right, we have to start this conversation somewhere.
Speaker 1: I didn't have a problem with that because it was a mainstream film. Yes, and it for many many people, who is the first time they were actually engaging actively with this conversation.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, and I think it is valuable for those reasons. It's not as valuable as like maybe some people you know, like it's not it's not the end all test, right, but it is.
Speaker 1: Not a Belle Hooks article.
Speaker 2: But it is a contribution, right.
Speaker 3: And and I think that all these little things that make us engage with our own power differently, those things are important.
Speaker 2: They contribute to the conversation.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Like, I'm just thinking about when we went and saw Barbie in the theater and it was the part when can kick Barbie out of the out of her own house basically, and I hear this little girl off to the side going, that's so mean. Yes, learn it now, take it with you. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Whoof Yeah, no you can't. You can't trust a man just because he's nice to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, that part because think about why he's being nice to you.
Speaker 2: M Oh god.
Speaker 3: You know. One thing, one thing about having a son that has been very interesting to me because you know, now I'm exposed to the true weirdness that is hashtag boy mom and like whip at and fail.
Speaker 1: Okay, And it's.
Speaker 2: It's funny because at first, so I.
Speaker 3: Always knew I was only having one child. I like, could not do my job if I had more children. And I'm not interested in ever doing pregnancy or childbirth again. But so knowing that I had a boy meant the door was closed on ever having a girl. And that made me really sad, you know, because it seemed like, oh, it would be really nice to, you know, to raise a little girl with the feelings that I have about my own feminine of like, yes, you can do anything. Nothing's closed off to you, like you know, and and a lot of people tried to comfort me by saying, but like, oh, but you know, you'll raise a good man because you're a strong woman, you know, like you as a strong woman can shape his understanding of what a woman is. But the more that I think about it, the more that it's like, actually, it's more important. I think that the way that his father models this right, like that it it doesn't matter how much I accomplish. If my male spouse does not respect me, respect my competency, treat me like I you know that I have merit that's entirely mine. My son will not. My son will not interpret those things either, Like he needs to see that all women are a certain way, not just that his mom is, you know, because there's there's plenty, there's plenty of.
Speaker 2: Boys who had mothers who love them who turned out terrible.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that I think that's where my my feeling that like the father as a question mark is like very important that especially, and and you know, we talk about girls who don't have who don't have strong father figures or whatever, which is true, but but boys I think who don't have, Like, I think what's going to turn a boy into an in cell is not so much the mother, but probably the father.
Speaker 1: Right, it's that whole Like every time I see these broie dudes who are being homophobic, it's and it's it's that's just so ironic to me because it's like, you don't even like women. Listen to the ways we talk about women. You don't like women. Oh they don't like that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh they don't. It's true.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, men are Men are fragile and sensitive creatures. And you know, we know that's true because basically all of being a woman is how to how to you know, manipulate and engage with the fragile, sensitive creature.
Speaker 1: Of the man. And I think about this whole thing about equality, and I constantly say it, you know, when we're talking about civil rights and protests it's like the consensus to me seems to be we want equality, we want equal rights, we don't want to be inconvenienced in any way. And that and I notice that, and this is women, people of color. Equality does not mean you just having the freedom to be just like the shittiest white man, you know, me a little bit more. And a lot of times I feel like we get once we get into a position where we can treat people the way the shittiest white man they know can do it, that that's done. You know, we hit it, and that's kind of how we got here. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: It's yes, yes, it is.
Speaker 3: I wrote Girl Dinner from a place of betrayal, for sure. There are just too many, too many wives who sat there silent, and it's just like you're watching, You're watching that guy take rights away from you, from your daughter from like you know, there's the line and Girl Dinner about like you know, the women's day have fewer rights because they don't because of rovers Swede And it's just I think I just got you know, it's hard to write from a place of anger because I don't want to just yell at people, and especially especially you know, I understand that my audience thinks the way that I do. They see the world pretty similar to the way that I do, or they wouldn't be drawn to my work right right, And so it's it's kind of like, well, what do I want to say? That's still what story do I want to tell? That still that resonates, but it is not, I don't know, discouraging. And that was a hard that was a hard line to walk of, just like how do I draw attention to these things that I'm seeing that I feel are so such like you know, pinch points in this moment in time right that I feel it's my responsibility to to you know, I have your attention, so I want you to look at this thing. But also without just preaching to the choir. And that was honestly really hard. And that's the thing that I'm not sure if I'm done, I don't know we'll see.
Speaker 1: I mean, finding hope. It's the one weapon that we still have. And I am I am a hardcore optimist, like to the point of ridiculousness sometimes, like I can find the silver lining anything. It might be like very thin and slightly tarnished, but it's their damn it, but I'm it's getting a little harder to find the hope. You know. It's just like sometimes all I can do is just like, well, it has to work out, It just has to well.
Speaker 3: I think this is where I think hope comes in to the concept of randomness. That actually, I think we feel that we're on a trajectory that can only go a certain way, and in some ways we are right. I think those of us who are interested in and have studied history are very alarmed at this moment in time, But there are still lots of things that happen that are completely unpredictable. Who could have seen COVID coming, you know, And for better or worse, things happen that upset the trajectory. And that is the closest thing I can get to hope. That's just like, maybe the thing that I think is going to happen is not actually what's going to happen. It's something. It's kind of the advice I give people. It's the advice I give people on like an individualist level. That's just like, you know, if you're working towards something, if it's a creative career, it's you know, your love life, whatever you don't actually know what's going to happen next. You think you do, right, But what the wonderful thing and the terrifying thing about life is that you never actually know because the concept of randomness, and that's just the statistical probability that something completely unforeseen could happen.
Speaker 2: Still exists, right.
Speaker 3: And like the fact that we are having this conversation that I have come this far after being someone who is writing fan fiction on the internet, you know, like the statistical chance of this is so minute, and here we are.
Speaker 2: So that's my that's my silveriest lining.
Speaker 3: It's just like, honestly, we don't know what's happening next, yeah and so and so our responsibility then is to make the best possible choice given that we don't know for sure what's happening next.
Speaker 1: Right, as Martha would put it, just keep doing the next right thing.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I keep telling everyone that the Atlas series specifically has the exact.
Speaker 2: Same more all as Frozen two. It's it's it's the next right choice.
Speaker 1: Oh, Okay, I'm still gonna let it go.
Speaker 3: You let it go first, but then you make the yeah, that's that's Frozen one.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I still say and Martha Martha Puts put it first. She was like, the best way forward is for women to just stop fucking Republicans.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, certainly you should stop fucking anyone who doesn't respect you, Okay, Like, I mean that's the one takeaway. Do not have sex with someone who does not respect not just you as a person, but you as as part of something you are like other girls, Okay, And like that means something right.
Speaker 1: And and then I think about Janelle Monet one of my favorite lyrics of hers of theirs, excuse me, we're gonna start a motherfucking pussy riot because we're won't put him on a motherfucking pussy die. I'm like, do it. The money and sex are the only things a lot of these people understand. And until you like cut off that, supply they're not going You're not going to have their attention, you know, unless women just start eating bitches, which I'm I'm still here for I you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know we can do that too.
Speaker 3: But the problem, you know, in Girl Dinner, I always say that Girl Dinner is not I don't really think of it as a horror novel because it's not gory.
Speaker 2: It's not about the act of eating. It's about the decision to.
Speaker 3: Eat right, and it's the decision who to eat, So we all have to get on board is a thing we as a movement have to decide who are we eating.
Speaker 1: That's important, right because I often say, you know, you only have to eat one.
Speaker 2: Rich Oh God, imagine how much good we could do too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, just and then with the fear of God, and just look at them and lick your lips one time and then they go, Okay, I'm.
Speaker 4: Sorry, I know, here's one hundred dollars at right, Yeah, I just but yes, Getting getting back into the book, I appreciated besides the immediate themes, I appreciated how queer the book is.
Speaker 1: I appreciated how beige the book is. For lack of a better ter, like, it was clear that most of the character main characters weren't white, even if it wasn't specified what brand of not whiteness they were.
Speaker 3: I did I did want to briefly, okay because Girl Dinner doesn't really dig into this, but I did kind of want to talk about being white passing in terms of beauty standards, like okay, if you can pass, if you can clear the bar, for Western beauty. Then on some level you're forgiven you're not whiteness, right, But it's a compromise. It's a compromise if you don't take everybody else with you. I think this is the I think when you talk about, you know, can beauty be power or can sexuality be power? The answer is absolutely no, right, Like, there's no way to actually turn that into something. Beauty is not going to get you equal representation. So so I think the question then I didn't really get into it for Girl Dinner. I actually the next book that comes out next year, Dreamland, is about a white passing Filipina girl and kind of the ways that she uses her perceived.
Speaker 2: Whiteness as power quote unquote.
Speaker 3: It's something that I sort of began with Nina and and oh my god, I'm forgetting my own character and Tessa, you know this, Like Tessa specifically, she's like if I weren't this taught, I wouldn't be accepted or like, you know, if it I think.
Speaker 2: The line she says is the only thing I'm black enough for is racism. That's why I'm here because like yeah, and I.
Speaker 3: And so I think they, yeah, that you're right, Like they have an awareness of that. And there's a reason I don't get into Nina culturally because that's really not what this book is about. This book is about Nina is choosing the whiteness as power even though she doesn't actually have it, and so what does that mean for her future?
Speaker 1: Right? And that is so fraught. It's like what do you do once you have that access, because there's two paths you can go. You can just go along to get along and you know, sorry Mom, sorry dad, or you can you know, once you're inside, then you can start being subversive and like you know, reckonshit a little bit, but that's not really that's not often the path that's chosen because it's like, you know, once you once you get in the big house, you kind of want to like, you know, get comfy, you.
Speaker 3: Know, right right, and and other people who are like you but maybe less acceptable than you, they feel like a threat. And this is one of one of my friends I was talking about this. He likened it to like sometimes when a woman and I serve the same kind.
Speaker 2: Of purpose, like social purpose.
Speaker 3: If there's a group of us and there's like a woman who's like me, she's similarly performing her femininity, and she's also you know, doing well in her career or whatever. And then we kind of feel like we're superheroes, like we're the same we showed up to the superhero convention, but we have the same superpowers. So one of us has to leave, and I think there's there's you know, that still exists, and that that is the fallacy of scarcity, that there are not enough resources for all of us. And so part of this is like once, but once you can see that, once you can see the myth that like that the power can only be held by one person, right, then it feels better, I think, to clear that space. It's just like, actually, know, if there are two of us here, if there are more of us here, then we have more power than I can hold on my own. It might not feel that way, but that's the truth.
Speaker 1: Right, And that's the thing that people don't really think about. When you have biracial individuals like yourself, like myself, especially if you know half of that is white, you have that inside or outsider view that is unique, Like you know the language, you know the code, and you can speak it and it gets spoken to you, so you have access because like some of them I'm sure you experienced this, Like I was never I'm not white passing, but people often don't think that I'm black. So the things that get said to.
Speaker 3: Me, yes, yeah, and to some degree, ever know how much you're getting away with it.
Speaker 2: Either.
Speaker 3: The thing for me is I went to a predominantly white high school, and so Nina even says in the book that, like, there are certain moments when I could forget that I'm not white, right, like, because I like the same white things as my white friends, and you know, we think all these things, and then suddenly someone says something about me being Asian or meeting whatever, and it's like, oh, my camouflage wasn't as good as I thought, or like I thought that I had disappeared into this whiteness and I didn't, and and kind of the feeling that, like, yeah, I'm not white passing to the extent that anyone would mistake me for completely white, right, but white passing enough that people don't see me as too foreign. And so I think there's this constant striving stay on the yeah, to stay on the safe side, you know, to stay on the you know, to be all sorts of things that are respectable. You know, it's respectability politics, and I wanted, you know, this is one of those things like I wanted to engage with it, but I couldn't get into it. It was more like I could just like identify these things that look at look at these girls and how they could provide different resources to each other, and will they choose to Right, that's kind of a question.
Speaker 1: Right, So in the world of oh, okay, well, first of all, do you see Girl Dinner as like that whole world? Do you see this story as being done or do you have plans for more?
Speaker 3: The thing is that I think you really have to end on the note of not really knowing what happens next. Like it's kind of it's a it's a Schrodinger's cat situation that you can't know what happens next because that changes how you feel about the ending. So it has to end here. But it's really funny that some people have been pitching me with like sequel ideas, and I'm like, uh, huh uh huh, yeah.
Speaker 1: Well that's the thing. It's like, I don't even know if I would want to say equal, but I am curious to know what you think is next for some of these girls. Of course, you can't really answer that without saying how it ends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a it's a bit squilary.
Speaker 3: But it also I think that stasis is important because it's it's like, it's kind of like the feeling when I was doing a copy that it's not sure who is going to win the election, because on the money end, it was like, if Kamala won that election, were we done?
Speaker 2: Had we done the work? You know, did we need this book? Because like, if we.
Speaker 3: Can elect a black and Indian biracial woman to the highest office, did we do it? Well?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you know Obama ended racism, so right, Yeah, Kamala would have ended misogyny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So you know, So ultimately, I think that feeling of like there is an optimistic view of this, there's a cynical view of this. I think it is my place to get out of the way and let you answer that for yourself. And so yeah, but I like open ended things. Honestly, I don't like epilogues. I don't like people to tell me what the ending is because I want the space to like come up with it myself as a reader. Right, So yeah, I'm I don't think I'm ever going to give that feeling of complete satisfaction. I've basically like pitched it at you and see where you take it from there.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, fair enough, the book is Girl Dinner. I highly recommend that everyone in the sound of our voice gets their own copy and reads it and come to your own conclusions. So, Olive, what is your Where is your favorite place to point people to to get their own copy of the book?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, always your local indie is the best possible place. But if you want to get a book that is personalized and signed by me, you can order through Village Well Books and Coffee. There's links on my website all of you Blake dot com. That is an option, but definitely go over to your local indie and it's great for all of us.
Speaker 1: We all win fabulous And if we wanted to learn more about you, you mentioned your website. Where else could we go to follow you?
Speaker 3: In my dreams, I get to flee the internet, But you can find me on Instagram as oli you Blake, on Tumblr as all of you Blake.
Speaker 2: That's actually the best place to find me. I still like Tumblr a lot.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, okay, Tumbler, I'm on Blue Sky.
Speaker 2: I have an account on Twitter, but I don't use it.
Speaker 3: And really, if you want to hear from me but like not too much, you know, just like a casual friendship, then you can subscribe for my newsletter on my website. Oh I'm also on YouTube. I have a YouTube channel. I'll be Blake is not writing, So if you ever have any questions about anything life, relationships, writing, you can ask me there.
Speaker 1: Okay, and I will put all of that information in the notes this episode. And I feel you on wanting to flee social media, like I just the timeline the other day. It was like two thousand and seven. If I didn't have this dance company to promote, I would get rid of all my social media. Then cut to twenty fifteen. If I didn't have this bar to promote, I would get rid of all my social media, and then cut to twenty and twenty two. I didn't have this podcast promote, I'll get rid of myself. I hear you. It's a sewer, it really is.
Speaker 2: It is garbage.
Speaker 3: And you know, as each platform gets like monopolized device so much like I don't enjoy being in the zucker verse, okay, and he punishes you if you don't buy into the entire Zucker verse. So like, I have a feeling I'm gonna get pushed out, and I'm like, okay with that. I will let the door hit me on the way out.
Speaker 1: I know that's right. I'll of you, blake. It has been a pleasure, and I have a feeling this is not going to be the last time that we sit and chat.
Speaker 3: Oh wonderful. I look forward to the next time. And thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 2: It was wonderful to be here.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, and you have a fabulous.
Speaker 2: Day you too.
Speaker 1: By now. Full Circle is a Never Scurred Productions podcast hosted by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal, produced and edited by Never Scurred Executive Produced by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal. Our theme in music is by the jingle Marys. All names, pictures, music, audio, and video clips are registered trademarks and or copyrights of their respective copyright holders.