Speaker 1: Imagine you are sleeping soundly in your bed. You're in North Carolina. It's the dead of winter, January twenty fourth, nineteen sixty one, right, so it's absolutely freezing outside exactly, the temperature is hovering right around freezing and above you, completely unseen in this pitch black night sky, a United States Air Force B fifty two bomber is flying a routine patrol.
Speaker 2: And we should clarify a B fifty two is an absolute behemoth of an aircraft.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's massive, and it's being piloted by Major Walter Tullock. But at roughly ten thousand feet up, something goes catastrophically wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a fuel leak in the right.
Speaker 1: Wing, right, and this leak causes a massive structural failure. The wing literally tears.
Speaker 2: Off, just just rips right off in midair.
Speaker 1: Yes, the aircraft spins wildly out of control. Centrifugal force just starts tearing the fuselage apart and tumbling out of the disintegrating Bombay are two Mark thirty nine hydrogen bombs.
Speaker 2: Which is just terrifying. I mean, for a sense of scale for you listening, each of these weapons has a yield of four mega times megatons. Yeah, that is roughly two hundred and fifty times more powerful than the weapon dropped on Hiroshima.
Speaker 1: It's almost hard to wrap your head around that kind of power.
Speaker 2: It really is. It's a volume of destructive force that human biology almost isn't equipped to comprehend. Right, you're talking about a thermal flash that would vaporize everything within a several mile radius, a shockwave that would flatten cities. And these two massive weapons are simply free falling in the dark over the American South.
Speaker 1: So both bombs separate from the wreckage, right, they're falling to Earth. One of them miraculously deploys its parachute the stroke of luck, huge luck. It drifts down, gets tangled in some trees and lands completely intact. But the other one, well, the other one is the reason we're here today.
Speaker 2: Because it didn't deploy the parachute.
Speaker 1: Nope, it plummeted into a muddy field at nearly seven hundred miles per hour. But the truly terrifying part is what happened on the way.
Speaker 2: Down the arming sequence.
Speaker 1: Yes, as it fell, it went through almost every single step of its complex multi stage arming sequence. The timers engaged down timeters two right, exactly the barometrical timeters sensing the change in air pressure as it fell triggered perfectly. The only thing standing between a quiet winter night and a nuclear apocalypse on American soil was a single low voltage arm safe switch.
Speaker 2: The sheer mechanical probability of that is I mean, it's hunted.
Speaker 1: It's like skydiving with a parachute made of tissue paper.
Speaker 2: Yeah. We often think of nuclear weapons as these monolithic, magical devices, but at their core they're.
Speaker 1: Just machines, just circuits and wires.
Speaker 2: Exactly, electrical circuits, physical switches, chemical explosives, and the Mark thirty nine had a very specific sequence required to initiate the nuclear core.
Speaker 1: And if that final switch had flipped.
Speaker 2: If that simple arming switch had flipped, and it was literally just a small switch designed to be engaged by the pilot in the cockpit, the conventional explosives would have fired. Wow, it would compress the plutonium in North Carolina would just be a crater.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Thrilling Threads. I'm your host, and today we are doing a deep dive into the historical record. We're pulling the thread on declassified documents to explore ten nuclear disasters the government desperately tried to keep.
Speaker 2: Secret because we all know the names Chernobyl and Fukushima.
Speaker 1: Right, those are household names the events that were just too massive to hide.
Speaker 2: But today we want to look at the shadows exactly.
Speaker 1: And the most chilling part of the history we're looking at today is that, in many cases, governments successfully buried these neu apocalypses for decades. I was reading through the incident reports for this deep dive, and I kept finding myself literally holding my breath.
Speaker 2: Oh, I totally get that. The overarching theme of our exploration today really highlights a profound and frankly dangerous disconnect. What do you mean, Well, on one hand, you have the immense, unforgiving physics of atomic energy, and on the other hand, you have the deeply flawed, highly secretive, politically motivated human institutions trying to manage it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Humans are messy, very messy.
Speaker 2: Now, it is crucial to state upfront that we are examining the raw historical data here. We're not taking political size.
Speaker 1: Ye oh, not at all.
Speaker 2: Whether we are looking at the actions of the United States, the United Kingdom, or the Soviet Union. We are simply looking at the declassified facts. We want to understand how secrecy operates in the high stakes environment of the.
Speaker 1: Cold War, just the raw history. So to you listening right now, buckle up. As we navigate through these events, I want you to keep one single question in the back of your mind.
Speaker 2: It's a big one.
Speaker 1: Why is the immediate knee jerk reflex of authority almost always silence?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the real thread we're pulling.
Speaker 1: So let's stay with Goldsboro, North Carolina for a minute, because I want to understand the mechanics of this cover up. A single low voltage switch save the Eastern Seaboard. How do you keep something with steaks that astronomical a secret?
Speaker 2: Well, you keep it a secret by controlling the narrative immediately and aggressively.
Speaker 1: And the public knew a plane crash, right.
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely, the public knew a B fifty two crashed. You cannot hide the flaming wreckage of an eight engine strategic bomber scattered across.
Speaker 1: The countryside, right, that's impossible.
Speaker 2: But the military isolated the crash site, they classified the recovery of the weapons, and actively obscured how close that second bomb came to full detonation.
Speaker 1: So they just lied by a mission.
Speaker 2: Essentially, Yes, the true narrative that the bomb had completed all but one arming step was hidden in classified vaults for over fifty years.
Speaker 1: That is just wild to me.
Speaker 2: But if we look at the psychology of the early Cold War era, you start to see the rationale.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we were talking about nineteen sixty one. John F. Kennedy has just been inaugurated. The tension with the Soviets is a total powder keg.
Speaker 2: The world is literally sitting on the cusp of the Cuban missile crisis. The concept of mutually assured destruction is the only thing keeping a fragile piece.
Speaker 1: So they were terrified of looking weak.
Speaker 2: Precisely from the perspective of the Pentagon and the White House. Admitting that you almost neut your own country due to a structural flaw achieves two disastrous outcomes.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's the first time?
Speaker 2: Domestically, it incites uncontrollable panic. If citizens believe the military cannot safely transport its own weapons, trust in the defense apparatus collapses.
Speaker 1: I mean, I would certainly panic if I found out a four megatone weapon armed itself by accident over my house. I would question the entire concept of our national defense.
Speaker 2: Anyone would.
Speaker 1: I'd be terrified every time I heard a plane fly over, But wouldn't. The military also argue that admitting a critical flaw in the B fifty two program would embolden the.
Speaker 2: Soviets, and that is the second, perhaps more pressing outcome for them. You're engaged in a global theater where projecting absolute technological superiority is your primary deterrent.
Speaker 1: Right the whole we have better weapons than you game exactly.
Speaker 2: The Strategic Air Command's entire doctrine was based on maintaining a constant, flawless airborne alert. If Moscow realizes your bombers are dropping armed weapons on your own soil due to fuel.
Speaker 1: Leaks, it shatters your illusion.
Speaker 2: Of control completely. So the paternalistic instinct of the state takes over. The authorities decide that knowing the truth won't make the public safer, They convince themselves, it will only create instability.
Speaker 1: It is a staggering lack of trust in the citizen ry, deciding we just can't handle the truth. It really is, and Goldsborough wasn't a one off. It falls under a specific military classification called a broken arrow.
Speaker 2: Right, which refers to an accidental event involving nuclear weapons that doesn't create a risk of nuclear war.
Speaker 1: And dropping these things from the sky happened way more than anyone wants to admit. Let's move forward just five years to January seventeenth, nineteen sixty six. We are looking at pal Mares, which is a small farming and fishing village on the coast of Spain.
Speaker 2: Now, this incident introduces a completely different layer of geopolitical complexity.
Speaker 1: Because it involves a sovereign NATO ally exactly. So here's the setup. A USB fifty two bomber is attempting a mid air refueling with a KC one th five Strato tanker over the Spanish coast.
Speaker 2: This was part of Operation Chrome Dome.
Speaker 1: Right, where the US kept nuclear armed bombers in the air twenty four hours a day. Now, mid air refueling sounds insane even with modern technology, but doing it in the nineteen sixties with a massive bomber seems incredibly perilous.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's a highly delicate ballet. You have two incredibly heavy aircraft flying at hundreds of miles per hour.
Speaker 1: Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
Speaker 2: The bomber has to maneuver its receptacle perfectly to catch a flying boom lowered by the tanker. It requires perfect visibility, perfect air speed matching, flawless communication, and on this.
Speaker 1: Day, the ballet fails. The B fifty two approaches too fast it collides with the boom of the tanker.
Speaker 2: A devastating mistake.
Speaker 1: The boom tears off the bomber's left wing. Both planes instantly explode in a massive fireball.
Speaker 2: And the BFC two is carrying four hydrogen bombs.
Speaker 1: Four of them, and all four fall onto the Pelomar Spain. Now, thankfully, the nuclear cores do not detonate, but two of the bombs hit the ground at terminal velocity, and the sheer force of the impact causes their conventional explosives to detonate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we need to clarify what that means. The conventional explosives. These are the lenses that surround the plutonium core. They are highly volatile. Okay, when they detonate without the precise timing required for a nuclear yield, they essentially act like a dirty bomb.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, so they just scatter the radiation exactly.
Speaker 2: They shatter the core and scatter highly radioactive plutonium two thirty nine all across the agricultural fields of this Spanish village.
Speaker 1: The military logistics of what happened next absolutely boggle my mind.
Speaker 2: This is a massive undertaking.
Speaker 1: The United States launched a frantic cleanup operation called Camp Wilson. Listen to this. They literally scraped up fourteen hundred tons of contaminated Spanish top soil and.
Speaker 2: Vegetation, literally scooping up the countryside.
Speaker 1: Yes, they packed it into thousands of specialized steel barrels and shipped it across the Atlantic Ocean and back to a facility in South Carolina.
Speaker 2: It's hard to even picture that scale.
Speaker 1: My question is, how on earth do you hide an operation of that magnitude. You drop four nuclear bombs on a foreign country, you roll in in hazmat suits, and you scoop up a village's livelihood. How do you keep the international press from turning that into a global scandal.
Speaker 2: Well, you manage it through strict alliance leverage and media suppression, meaning.
Speaker 1: They just bullied the press.
Speaker 2: Well, remember the political landscape of Spain In nineteen sixty six. Spain was ruled by the Dictator Francisco Franco. Oh, right, the Spanish press was heavily censored and state controlled. The US military informed the Franco government immediately. I mean, you cannot hide a bomber crash from the host nation, right.
Speaker 1: There's flaming debris everywhere.
Speaker 2: But both governments had a vested interest in suppressing the severity of the contamination from the Spanish public and the wider world.
Speaker 1: Franco wanted to keep American money and military bases right.
Speaker 2: Yes, and the US needed Spanish airspace to maintain its deterrence patrol against the Soviets.
Speaker 1: It's a classic background deal. The strategic imperative of keeping those bombers airborne overrode the fundamental rights of the Spanish citizens to know their land was laced with plutonium.
Speaker 2: Exactly so the US and Spanish governments engaged in this highly orchestrated piece of political theater to downplay the danger.
Speaker 1: The swimming incident.
Speaker 2: Yes, the most famous example. The American ambassador anj Your Biddleduke and the Spanish minister went to the beach at Palomares and swam in the Mediterranean Sea for the cameras.
Speaker 1: That is just deeply cynical.
Speaker 2: Supposedly to prove the area was perfectly safe.
Speaker 1: Ignore the men in hazmat suits bulldozing your tomato fields. Look at the ambassador enjoying a lovely swim. I mean, it's insulting, but the reality is that they didn't actually get all of the plutonium, did they They did not.
Speaker 2: Plutonium two thirty nine is an alpha emitter.
Speaker 1: What does that mean? Exactly?
Speaker 2: It means if it sits on the ground, your skin can actually block the radiation, okay, But if it oxidizes into dust and the wind blows it and you inhale even a microscopic particle into your lungs, it is lethally carcinogenic. God, and the cleanup was rushed. Trenches of contaminated material were allegedly buried and just forgotten. The full story of the remaining contamination was suppressed for decades.
Speaker 1: That is horrifying.
Speaker 2: It wasn't until twenty fifteen, nearly fifty years later, that the US and Spain finally signed a new statement of intent to finish the cleanup efforts.
Speaker 1: Which proves the initial effort was largely cosmetic performative.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: The secrecy wasn't just about domestic pr It was about holding together a military coalition, even if it meant lying to the people living at ground zero.
Speaker 2: The alliance mattered more than the local farmers.
Speaker 1: That brings us to an incident that happened much closer to home. And honestly, this is the one that gives me the most anxiety because of how unresolved it still is today.
Speaker 2: Tybee Island.
Speaker 1: Yes, let's step back slightly to February fifth, nineteen fifty eight. We are off the coast of Tybee Island, Georgia.
Speaker 2: A very different kind of broken arrow. This one was driven by the immediate survival instincts of an aircrew.
Speaker 1: Right, a USB forty seven Stratajet bomber is flying a simulated combat mission. It collides midair with an F eighty six fighter Jet.
Speaker 2: Another collision.
Speaker 1: The fighter pilot ejects safely, but the B forty seven is severely damaged. The pilot, Major Howard Richardson, is trying to stabilize his aircraft to make an emergency landing at Hunter Air Force Base.
Speaker 2: So he's got a massive problem, a huge problem.
Speaker 1: The plane is too heavy and the landing speed would be far too dangerous with the damage, so he requests and receives permission to jettison his payload to save his crew, and.
Speaker 2: That payload is a seventy six hundred pound Mark fifteen nuclear bomb.
Speaker 1: He drops it directly into the shallow coastal waters of the Wassaw Sound, right near the mouth of the Savannah.
Speaker 2: River, and it has never been seen again.
Speaker 1: Never. The Air Force searched for nearly ten weeks. They had navy divers scouring the bottom. They dragged the ocean floor with cables. They used sonar, but the environment there is tough, the silt and the currents in that area are notoriously difficult to navigate.
Speaker 2: They found nothing, zero trace.
Speaker 1: Now this is where the betrayal of public trust really becomes a central theme for me. For forty three years, the official government line, the story told to the residents of Georgia and the American public, was that the weapon dropped was simply a training dummy.
Speaker 2: They claimed it contained no nuclear capsule, nothing to worry about.
Speaker 1: But in two thousand and one, declassified military documents finally came to light confirming the terrifying truth.
Speaker 2: It was a fully functional, complete nuclear weapon with a live plutonium core.
Speaker 1: A live weapon just sitting in the mud subject to saltwater corrosion for decades. Yeah, I am struck by the sheer audacity of the line. I mean, I have vacationed on the Georgia Coast. I've walked those beaches.
Speaker 2: It's a beautiful area.
Speaker 1: It is. Imagine taking your family to Tybee Island, building a sand castle, swimming in the surf, and less than a few miles away, a fully assembled Mark fifteen thermonuclear weapon is just chillin' offshore in the silt. It's a very unsettling image, and the government now admits it's real, but claims it's safer to just leave it there.
Speaker 2: Well, if we evaluate the government's current stance from a purely physical engineering perspective, they do have an argument.
Speaker 1: Okay, what is their argument?
Speaker 2: They argue that the bomb is buried under several feet of dense silt. Attempting to excavate it could be extraordinarily dangerous.
Speaker 1: Because of the conventional explosives.
Speaker 2: Yes, the conventional high explosives inside the casing, the materials meant to trigger the nuclear reaction. They have been degrading in salt water for over sixty years.
Speaker 1: So they might be super unstable.
Speaker 2: Extremely unstable. A salvage operation could accidentally trigger those conventional explosives, which would scatter the plutonium core into the local marine.
Speaker 1: Ecosystem, creating a massive ecological disaster.
Speaker 2: Exactly the exact environmental catastrophe they want to avoid. From a utilitarian risk assessment standpoint, leaving it undisturbed might actually be the mathematically safer option.
Speaker 1: Okay, I understand the phys of leaving it alone, but I strongly disagree with the sociology of it.
Speaker 2: Trust factor.
Speaker 1: Yes, the engineering risk entirely misses the point of the societal damage. What does it do to the social contract? When an administration flat out lies to its citizens for forty three years, it destroys it. They didn't come out in nineteen fifty eight and say, hey, we lost a live bomb, but we believe it's safely buried and here's the data to prove it right.
Speaker 2: They chose deception.
Speaker 1: They said it's a dummy. You are foolish for worrying about it. When the truth finally leaks out, it validates every conspiracy theorist in the country. It deeply damages the credibility of.
Speaker 2: The military because if they lied about a nuclear bomb sitting off the coast of Georgia for four decades.
Speaker 1: The average citizen naturally asks, what else are they lying about right now?
Speaker 2: Exactly? That erosion of trust is incredibly difficult to repair, and it is a direct consequence of prioritizing short term public relations over long term transparency.
Speaker 1: It's just bad leadership.
Speaker 2: It is now. The events we've discussed so far, these broken arrows falling through the sky are essentially accidents of transport.
Speaker 1: Right planes failing crashing.
Speaker 2: They are the result of collisions or severe weather. But as we move deeper into the historical record, we find that the systemic long term disasters occurred long before these bombs ever left the tarmac.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dropping these by accident is terrifying, but the danger didn't start in the sky. The sheer act of just trying to build these weapons was poisoning people before a bomber ever took off.
Speaker 2: The production side is incredibly dark.
Speaker 1: We are moving our focus to the factories of armageddon. Let's look at the Rocky Flats plant. This was located on a windy plateau just south of Boulder.
Speaker 2: Colorado, practically right next door to the Denver metropolitan.
Speaker 1: Area, which is insane.
Speaker 2: Rocky Flats was a massive, highly secretive US government facility. Its primary purpose was to manufacture the plutonium pits or triggers for nuclear weapons.
Speaker 1: What exactly is a plutonium pit?
Speaker 2: Think of it like the essential great fruit sized core that initiates the fission reaction which then ignites the much larger fusion reaction in a hydrogen bomb.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's the spark plug for the nuke.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to put it.
Speaker 1: Now, the declassified reports detail a specific scientific property of plutonium that I find absolutely harrowing. Plutonium is pyrophoric.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is explain that for the listener.
Speaker 1: When plutonium is exposed to ambient air and moisture, it oxidizes rapidly, and that oxidation process generates intense heat. Okay, if it isn't managed perfectly in an inert atmosphere, the metal can spontaneously ignite.
Speaker 2: Wait, it literally sets itself on fire.
Speaker 1: It sets itself on fire.
Speaker 2: Let's just pause and absorb the geography of that decision. We built a massive industrial factory to machine cut and shave a highly radioactive metal that actively wants to spontaneously combust, and we built it upwind of Denver Colorado.
Speaker 1: The audacity of the site selection is staggering, but it reflect the singular focus of the era.
Speaker 2: They just didn't care.
Speaker 1: They needed a location inland, away from vulnerable coasts, with access to water. In a workforce, the environmental risks were entirely secondary to the production schedule.
Speaker 2: Predictably, when you machine a metal that catches fire in the air, you get fires, frequent fires.
Speaker 1: In September nineteen fifty seven, a major fire broke out in one of the plutonium processing buildings at Rocky Flats. The fire started in a glove box.
Speaker 2: Those are the seal boxes where technicians handle the material using heavy rubber gloves.
Speaker 1: Right, and the fire burned for thirteen solid.
Speaker 2: Hours, a radioactive inferno.
Speaker 1: The intense heat breached the filtration systems. It released a massive plume of toxic plutonium particulates directly into the atmosphere, catching the wind blowing toward populated areas.
Speaker 2: And the public was not informed, not a word.
Speaker 1: The Colorado State government wasn't even given the true details of the contamination.
Speaker 2: It was a massive failure of containment. But instead of fundamentally redesigning the facility to prioritize safety, they just rebuilt it and kept pushing for higher quotas.
Speaker 1: Which leads directly to the much larger disaster.
Speaker 2: Twelve years later, the nineteen sixty nine fire.
Speaker 1: Right May eleventh, nineteen sixty nine, another fire breaks out into a plutonium building, but this time it was infinitely worse.
Speaker 2: The scale was terrifying.
Speaker 1: The fire ignited the massive plexiglass shielding used throughout the facility. It raged completely out of control. Firefighters were battling a blaze involving hundreds of pounds of plutonium, and it.
Speaker 2: Came dangerously close to a critical vulnerability the storage vault. Yes, a massive storage vault in the roof that contained thousands of pounds of plutonium.
Speaker 1: Thousands of pounds upwind of Denver.
Speaker 2: If that vault had breached or the roof had completely collapsed and allowed the ambient winds to scatter that much plutonium two thirty nine over the Denver metro area, what would have happened. The resulting contamination would have been apocalyptic.
Speaker 1: We were talking about permanently evacuating millions of people.
Speaker 2: Right Denver would have become an American exclusion zone similar to Chernobyl.
Speaker 1: And once again the public was kept entirely in the dark about how close they came to losing their city.
Speaker 2: The secrecy was absolute.
Speaker 1: The full extent of the contamination from both the fifty seven and sixty nine fires, and the routine leaking of contaminated oil into the soil in an area known as the nine O three pad, was classified and obscured for decades.
Speaker 2: When you look at the declassified environmental reports from Rocky Flats, you see the institutional mindset at play. Safety protocols were often viewed by management as frustrating bureaucratic obstacles.
Speaker 1: Just getting in the way of building bombs exactly.
Speaker 2: The underlying philosophy was that American citizens living downwind of these plants were an acceptable collateral risk and the broader struggle against communism that is sickening. The government decided that telling the residents of Dender about the plutonium raining down on their lawns would cause political pushback, which might lead to congressional hearings.
Speaker 1: Which would slow down the production of weapons.
Speaker 2: They chose silence to protect the quota.
Speaker 1: Which is chilling. But Rocky Flats isn't even the most contamatminated site in the American nuclear complex. Woh it was not that dark. Honour goes to the Hanford site in Washington State. I have spent time in the Pacific Northwest, and the Columbia River is the lifeblood of that entire region.
Speaker 2: It's vital to the ecosystem.
Speaker 1: And Hanford sits right on its banks. This facility has a massive historical footprint. It produced the plutonium for the fat Man bomb dropped on Nagasaki in nineteen forty five.
Speaker 2: Hanford was the cradle of industrial scale and nuclear production. But from its inception in nineteen forty four all the way through nineteen seventy one, it operated with the level of environmental recklessness that is just it's difficult to fully comprehend.
Speaker 1: Today, Let's talk about the cooling system, because this blew my mind. The early reactors at Hanford, like the B reactor, were designed with what is called a once through cooling system.
Speaker 2: Right because nuclear fission generates an unbelievable amount of heat.
Speaker 1: To keep the reactors from melting down, they pumped massive amounts of cold water directly out of the Columbia River.
Speaker 2: That water flowed right through the reactor core.
Speaker 1: It absorbed the intense heat, but it also absorbed massive amounts of radiation, creating highly radioactive isotopes like phosphorus thirty two and zinc sixty five, and then instead of treating it or containing it in the closed loop, they just pumped that boiling, highly radioactive water straight back out into the river.
Speaker 2: The volume of contaminated water was staggering. We are talking about tens of thousands of gallons per minute, day after day, year after year.
Speaker 1: And downstream from Hanford you had communities, Native American tribes and major cities that relied entirely on the Columbia River.
Speaker 2: It was their drinking water.
Speaker 1: They used it for municipal drinking water. They used it to irrigate the massive agricultural basins of Washington and Oregon. They fished the salmon, and.
Speaker 2: Those radioactive isotopes bioaccumulate.
Speaker 1: Right, They bioaccumulated in the algae which was eaten by the fish, which were eaten by the people. The radiation moved directly into the food chain.
Speaker 2: And what makes Hanford a unique entry in our exploration today is the sheer weight of the documentary evidence regarding intent. This wasn't a mistake, No, this wasn't a case of nineteen forties scientists simply not understanding the long term effects of radiation.
Speaker 1: I read the declassified memos, and that is what makes me so angry on behalf of anyone who lived in that region.
Speaker 2: They knew.
Speaker 1: The government's own internal scientists were fully aware of the severe health risks to the downstream populations as early as the late nineteen forties.
Speaker 2: They were actively tracking the bioaccumulation in the fish. They knew the hazard, and yet.
Speaker 1: The military and the Atomic Energy Commission chose to continue pumping radioactive waste into the drinking water for nearly three decades. I push back strongly on anyone who claims this was just a Cold War necessity.
Speaker 2: It's hard argument to defend.
Speaker 1: At what point does a national security mandate cross the line and become an outright crime against your own citizens.
Speaker 2: Your frustration is highly justified, and it points to a phenomenon we call bureaucratic inertia.
Speaker 1: Bureaucratic inertia, what does that look like in this context?
Speaker 2: Well, once a system as massive, well funded, and deeply in grained in the military industrial complex as Hanford is up and running halting, it is viewed by the people inside the system as virtually.
Speaker 1: Impossible, like trying to stop a freight train.
Speaker 2: Exactly, admitting the environmental harm would require shutting down the reactors. Shutting down the reactors halts plutonium.
Speaker 1: Production, which angers the pentagon.
Speaker 2: Which threatens the funding and prestige of the entire bureaucracy. So it is always easier for the individual decision makers to just keep the machine running, classify the environmental impact reports, and pass the consequences to the next generation.
Speaker 1: They sacrifice the health of their own people to maintain the budget and the schedule. Yes, and let's look at the financial reality of that choice today. Ignoring environmental reality to save time and money in the short term is a catastrophic mistake.
Speaker 2: We are paying for it right now.
Speaker 1: The cleanup at the Hanford site, the process of trying to stabilize millions of gallons of boiling toxic sludge and underground tanks through vitrification, is currently the most expensive environmental remediation project in United States history.
Speaker 2: The current estimates put the cost at over fifty billion dollars spent so far, and the cleanup is expected to take decades more, potentially costing hundreds of billions more.
Speaker 1: The cost of arrogance and secrecy is.
Speaker 2: Astronomical, it's an unpayable debt.
Speaker 1: So at Hanford and Rocky Flats, we are looking at massive contamination that was essentially a byproduct of the system working exactly as it was designed to right. But what happens when these early, highly experimental nuclear production systems actually catch fire and fail catastrophically, The panic is different. The transition from production by products to catastrophic system failures reveals a very different kind of panic within these institutions. Let's cross the Atlantic for our next event to the UK. October tenth, nineteen fifty seven, we were in Cumbria, located in the northwest of England, at the Windscale Nuclear reactor facility.
Speaker 2: This incident remains the United Kingdom's worst ever nuclear disaster, and it centers heavily on a specific quirk of early reactor physics.
Speaker 1: Let's get into the science of this, because it's fascinating. The Windscale piles were built hastily by the British government after World War Two to produce plutonium for their own atomic bomb program.
Speaker 2: Because the US had cut off sharing nuclear technology.
Speaker 1: Right, the reactor was graphite moderated.
Speaker 2: Let's explain how a graphite moderator works. In a reactor, you need to slow down the neutrons emitted by the uranium so they can collide with other uranium atoms and sustain the chain reaction.
Speaker 1: They're moving too fast otherwise, exactly.
Speaker 2: So at windscale they used massive blocks of graphite to slow those neutrons down. But there's a physical side effect to bombarding graphite with radiation over time. It was discovered by a physicist named Eugene Wigner.
Speaker 1: Known as Wigner energy. Right I found the mechanics of Wigner energy fascinating. Basically, as the neutrons smash into the graphite, they physically knock the carbon atoms out of their normal lattice structure.
Speaker 2: The disrupting the physical structure of the material itself.
Speaker 1: It creates a build up of potential energy within the material. Think of it like compressing thousands of tiny coil springs into a tight box. If you knock them out of alignment, they store physical tension, a very.
Speaker 2: Apt mechanical analogy, and to release that tension safely, the operators had to periodically heat the reactor up in a controlled manner.
Speaker 1: A process called anneiling.
Speaker 2: Yes, the heat allows the carbon atoms to slip back into their proper places, releasing the stored weightener energy safely as a gradual increase in temperature.
Speaker 1: But in October nineteen fifty seven, the operators botched the annealing process.
Speaker 2: They made a critical error.
Speaker 1: They heated the reactor too quickly. The stored energy released all at once, creating a massive spike in temperature.
Speaker 2: And the uranium fuel cartridges essentially caught fire inside the core.
Speaker 1: And this wasn't a quick flash fire. The massive graphite core burned completely out of control for three entire days.
Speaker 2: Three days of a burning nuclear reactor. The deputy general manager, Tom Tis Tuei, displayed incredible personal heroism during this.
Speaker 1: What did he do?
Speaker 2: He repeatedly suited up and walked directly to the reactor face. He was looking through inspection holes at the white hot burning core, trying to figure out how to extinguish a graphite fire, because if you just spray water on it, it might instantly turn into a volatile hydrogen explosion.
Speaker 1: Oh man, So he's staring into a radioactive volcano trying to figure out how to put it out exactly. Eventually, they starved it of oxygen and carefully applied water, stopping the immediate meltdown, but the damage to the atmosphere was already done.
Speaker 2: The plume was already.
Speaker 1: Out radioactive material, specifically iodine one thirty one, was forcefully ejected from the ventilation stacks. It spread a massive plume of radiation across the British countryside and reached deep into mainland Europe.
Speaker 2: And how did the British government of Prime Minister Harold McMillan respond to this unprecedented crisis.
Speaker 1: By heavily redacting the official report to suppress the true cause and the full scale of the disaster.
Speaker 2: Britain was desperate to prove to the United States that it was a competent advanced nuclear power. They wanted the US to resume sharing weapons technology.
Speaker 1: So they couldn't look foolish.
Speaker 2: Admitting that a fundamental misunderstanding of physics caused their flagship reactor to catch fire. It would have humiliated them on the global stage.
Speaker 1: But the cover up went far beyond just redacting a technical report. And this is the part that makes my stomach turn milk. The surrounding agricultural areas in Cumbria were heavily contaminated with radioactive iodine. This meant the grass was contaminated.
Speaker 2: That a dairy cows ate the grass.
Speaker 1: And their milk became highly dangerous, particularly to the thyroid glands of growing children. We are talking about the milk supply from hundreds of surrounding farms.
Speaker 2: It was heavily poisoned.
Speaker 1: The logical humane thing to do would be to seize the milk, pour it down the drain, and financially compensate the farmers.
Speaker 2: That is the only acceptable public health imperative.
Speaker 1: But the government realized that seizing the milk and it admitting it was too radioactive to consume would cause widespread national panic.
Speaker 2: So they made a horrific calculation.
Speaker 1: Instead of discarding the poison, they deliberately diluted it. They took the heavily contaminated milk from the local farms, transported it and mixed it into the national milk supply with clean milk from other regions just ready it out. Their goal was to lower the overall radiation concentration to what they deemed an acceptable level, and then they shipped it out to grocery stores for families to drink.
Speaker 2: It is a breathtakingly cynical calculation. You are literally spreading a localized toxin across an entire population to hide a political failure.
Speaker 1: It is exactly like finding deadly poison in a town well, and instead of closing the well, the mayor decides to just stir it really thoroughly, so everyone in town gets a little bit of poison.
Speaker 2: When you analyze the chilling logic of the Cold War state here you see their true priorities, which were to the authorities in London, public panic was viewed as a far more dangerous immediate threat to national stability than the actual physical radiation.
Speaker 1: Because panic is loud and radiation is silent.
Speaker 2: Exactly, panic disrupts the economy, it causes political upheaval, and makes the government look weak to its adversaries. Radiation takes decades to manifest as thyroid cancer.
Speaker 1: From a purely bureaucratic survival standpoint, diluting the milk solves the immediate political problem, even if it creates a horrific, untraceable public health crisis down.
Speaker 2: The line, and the full report proving this action wasn't declassified until nineteen eighty eight.
Speaker 1: Thirty one years later, long after anyone who drank that milk could do anything about it.
Speaker 2: The arrogance to make that biological choice for millions of families without their consent is staggering.
Speaker 1: Now, Windscale was a massive cover up of a large scale event, But looking at the historical record, our next event is incredibly intimate, highly localized, and frankly, it sounds like a psychological thriller.
Speaker 2: The SL one.
Speaker 1: January third, nineteen sixty one the SL one nuclear reactor located at the National Reactor Test Station in the desolate, freezing planes of Idaho.
Speaker 2: The SL one represents a very different era of nuclear development. It wasn't a massive production facility hin relatively yes, it was the Argonne Low Power Reactor, a small experimental military prototype designed to be deployed to remote, isolated radar stations in the Arctic.
Speaker 1: It was essentially a nuclear battery for extreme environments.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So, three military operators were working the night shift. The reactor had been shut down for maintenance over the holidays, and their job was to reconnect the control rods to the automated system to restart it.
Speaker 2: And the SL one design was uniquely unforgiving.
Speaker 1: Explain the design flaw.
Speaker 2: To restart it, an operator had to stand on top of the reactive vessel and manually pull the heavy central control rod out by just a few inches to hook it.
Speaker 1: Up, stand physically on top of it.
Speaker 2: Yes, and the control rod absorbs neutrons. When you pull it out, the fission reaction increases. The fatal flaw of the sl one design was that this single central control rod controlled an enormous amount of.
Speaker 1: Reactivity, meaning if it comes out too far, if it was.
Speaker 2: Pulled out too far, there were absolutely no secondary failsafes to stop the reaction none.
Speaker 1: So the operator, John Burns, was supposed to lift the rod four inches, but for reasons we will never truly know, the rod was withdrawn nearly twenty inches.
Speaker 2: And the reactor went what physicists call prompt critical.
Speaker 1: Going prompt critical. That means the nuclear chain reaction multiplies at an exponential rate so fast.
Speaker 2: That the resulting energy release is virtually instantaneous. It goes from a dormant state to a violent thermal explosion in a matter of milliseconds.
Speaker 1: The fuel plates melted instantly.
Speaker 2: Instantly vaporizing the surrounding water coolant into high pressure steam.
Speaker 1: And that steam expansion caused a massive water hammer effect. The water slammed into the lid of the reactor vessel with such force that the entire twenty six thousand pound reactor jumped nine feet into the air.
Speaker 2: Twenty six thousand pounds jumped nine feet.
Speaker 1: The three men were killed instantly in a horrific combination of physical trauma and massive radiation exposure.
Speaker 2: It was a brutal scene.
Speaker 1: The force of the explosion was so violent that one of the operators, Richard Legg, was literally pinned to the ceiling of the containment building by a heavy shield plug that was ejected from the top of the reactor.
Speaker 2: The rescue teams couldn't even safely approach the bodies for days due to the radiation fields.
Speaker 1: They eventually had to bury the men in lead lined caskets, which were then completely sealed in concrete. These remain the only fatal reactor accidents in United States history.
Speaker 2: It is a profound tragedy on every level, but the aftermath is where the culture of secrecy breeds something deeply unsettling.
Speaker 1: The military immediately locked down the facility, sealed all the records, and eventually released a brief, sterile official conclusion operator error.
Speaker 2: Just they messed up.
Speaker 1: They placed the blame entirely on the dead men and shut the book. But because the truth and the technical specifics were locked away in classified vaults, the silence bred absolute madness.
Speaker 2: When you remove transparency, conspiracy fills the void exactly.
Speaker 1: Rumors began to swirl through the tight knit military and nuclear communities that the explosion wasn't a mechanical accident at all.
Speaker 2: The murder suicide rumor.
Speaker 1: The rumor was that one of the operators had deliberately pulled the rod to commit a murder suicide because of a bitter romantic jealousy involving a colleague's wife, a nuclear love triangle.
Speaker 2: I mean, it sounds absurd, but it gained incredible traction whack because the more likely technical explanation that the boron strips on the control rod had swollen or corroded, causing the rod to stick and burn, simply yanked it too hard to free it.
Speaker 1: That truth was buried, so people just made up a story to make sense of it. How does a government investigation into a reactor explosion turn into a true crime sci fi horror story.
Speaker 2: It happens because the very nature of secrecy itself right.
Speaker 1: When authorities seal records and offer incredibly sterile unsatisfying conclusions like operator error. For events that are fundamentally violent, chaotic, and catastrophic, they create a massive psychological vacuum in the public consciousness.
Speaker 2: Operator error just doesn't adequately explain a man pinned to a ceiling by a nuclear explosion.
Speaker 1: The human mind of whores a vacuum, especially when trauma and mystery are involved. We crave a narrative, We crave a reason why something terrible happened, and.
Speaker 2: In the absence of institutional transparency, human beings will naturally fill that vacuum with rumors, with projections, and with dramatic narratives.
Speaker 1: The military thought sealing the records would make the story go away quietly.
Speaker 2: Instead, the secrecy acted as a fertile incubator for a much darker narrative.
Speaker 1: Most modern historians and nuclear engineers believe it was indeed just a tragic mechanical flaw combined with human error. Right.
Speaker 2: Yes, a stuck rod that was pulled too.
Speaker 1: Hard, But the fact that the murder suicide rumor existed and persisted for decades is a direct indictment of government's refusal to beat tree transparent. The cover up didn't hide the truth. It just created a much more damaging lie. Exactly up to this point in our exploration, the events we've discussed that dropped bombs, the factory fires, the localized reactor explosions, these were fundamentally accidents.
Speaker 2: There were terrible mistakes exacerbated by secrecy.
Speaker 1: But as we move into the final stage of the historical record, we take the darkest turn yet because these final events were not accidents. We are now looking at populations that were intentionally used or disregarded as living test subjects.
Speaker 2: The transition from accidental exposure to intentional geographic sacrifice highlights the ultimate hubris of the nuclear age.
Speaker 1: Let's start on March first, nineteen fifty four, at the Bikini Atoll in the Marshall.
Speaker 2: Islands, the Castle Bravo Test.
Speaker 1: The United States is conducting its largest nuclear test ever. They are detonating a thermonuclear device, a hydrogen bomb known as the Shrimp device.
Speaker 2: Castle Bravo was designed to test a dry fuel thermonu clear weapon using lithium deuteride.
Speaker 1: It was meant to be a demonstration of absolute world ending power, a clear signal to the Soviet Union.
Speaker 2: The physicists at Los Alamos predicted a yield of roughly six megatons.
Speaker 1: But they got the math wrong, completely wrong, and they didn't get it wrong by a small margin. The actual explosion was fifteen megatons. It was a thousand times the power of the bomb dropped on Hiroshma.
Speaker 2: They underestimated the yield of their own weapon by a factor of nearly three.
Speaker 1: The fireball was so massive, so incredibly hot, that it literally vaporized a portion of the coral atol or, erasing entire small islands from the map and pulling millions of tons of irradiated coral sand and water high into the stratosphere.
Speaker 2: The scientific error here is fascinating but also terrifying.
Speaker 1: How did they mess it up that badly?
Speaker 2: Well? They used two isotopes of lithium in the fuel, lithium six and lithium seven. They assumed that the lithium seven would be inert in the nuclear reaction.
Speaker 1: They thought it would just sit there exactly.
Speaker 2: Instead, the intense neutron bombardment caused the lithium seven to absorb a neutron, split apart and produce massive amounts of tritium.
Speaker 1: Which is highly combustible in a fusion reaction.
Speaker 2: Yes, the inert material aggressively fueled a runaway thermal chain reaction.
Speaker 1: They were literally treating the Earth's atmosphere as an experimental laboratory, playing with physical forces. They fundamentally did not fully understand.
Speaker 2: It's hubris on an unimaginable scale.
Speaker 1: That is deeply unsettling. But the physics error pales in comparison to the moral failure regarding the fallout the human costs. Yes, because of the massive, unexpected yield, a colossal cloud of highly radioactive ash was blasted into the air, and the military meteorologists knew before they pushed the button that the high altitude winds were blowing directly toward inhabited.
Speaker 2: Islands, including the wrong slap Atal.
Speaker 1: They checked the weather, they saw the wind was carrying the fallout toward human beings, and they made the conscious decision to detonate it anyway.
Speaker 2: They prioritized the test schedule over the safety of the Marshal Ease people. They did not evacuate Rongja Lap for two full days after the explosion.
Speaker 1: Two days while radioactive ash rained down like thick.
Speaker 2: Snow, children not knowing what it was, played in it.
Speaker 1: It contaminated their drinking water. Their food supply, their entire ecosystem. And it wasn't just the marshal ease people who were hit.
Speaker 2: The Japanese fishing boat yes, the.
Speaker 1: Dago Fukui Maru or the Lucky Dragon number five. It was operating roughly eighty miles away outside the official danger zone.
Speaker 2: The crew was completely covered in radioactive ash.
Speaker 1: They suffered acute radiation sickness, their skin burning, their hair falling out. One crew member died shortly after.
Speaker 2: I have to ask, if you are a commander and you see the wind is blowing poison toward a populated area, why in God's name do you push the button?
Speaker 1: You push the button Because of the profound dehumanization inherent in the Cold War testing.
Speaker 2: Program, meaning the people didn't matter.
Speaker 1: To them, the test schedule, the massive logistical effort of bringing military brands and scientists to the geopolitical message they desperately wanted to descend to Moscow. All of these abstract, high level strategic concepts were given absolute priority over the concrete, flesh and blood lives of the Marshalisee people.
Speaker 2: They just treated them as expendable.
Speaker 1: The indigenous populations were treated at best as an inconvenience to the testing schedule, and at worst, as an opportunity.
Speaker 2: What do you mean an opportunity after the exposure?
Speaker 1: The US government set up Project four point one.
Speaker 2: Oh I read about this.
Speaker 1: It was a medical program to study the effects of radiation on the Marshalies for decades. They literally gathered data from a population they poisoned. That makes me sick. The devastating human cost on the people of the Marshall Islands is incalculable. Entire generations plagued by thyroid cancers, horrific birth defects, and forced permanent relocation from their ancestral homes, and.
Speaker 2: They had to fight for basic care.
Speaker 1: The fact that the marshaliese had to fight the US government and courts for decades to secure basic metical care and compensation proves that the government knew exactly what it was doing and knew that admitting liability would be politically and financially costly.
Speaker 2: Secrecy here wasn't about national security. It was a tool to evade moral and financial responsibility.
Speaker 1: Evasion of responsibility seems to be a universal tactic, regardless of which superpower we examine.
Speaker 2: Which brings us to the Soviet Union.
Speaker 1: During the height of the Cold War, the Soviet nuclear program was operating at a breakneck desperate pace to match the United States, and they.
Speaker 2: Ran into a massive logistical problem what to do with the astronomical volume of highly radioactive liquid waste they were generating from reprocessing spent nuclear fuel.
Speaker 1: Because the American sites like Hanford pumped it into rivers or underground tanks, the Soviet solution was shockingly rudimentary.
Speaker 2: Just horrifyingly simple.
Speaker 1: They chose a small natural body of water near the Mayak Production Association in the Ural Mountains. It was called Lake Karace.
Speaker 2: From nineteen fifty one onward, the Soviet government used this lake as an open air dumping ground for high level radioactive waste.
Speaker 1: No containment vessels, no deep geological storage.
Speaker 2: No safety protocols whatsoever. They literally just ran pipes out to the lake and dumped the glowing toxic sledge directly into the open water.
Speaker 1: The environmental degradation is almost impossible to overstate. They poured so much radioactive material into that specific basin that the hydrology of the lake fundamentally changed.
Speaker 2: By the nineteen nineties, when the Soviet Union fell and outside scientists finally got access to test the area with decimeters. Lake Karajo was deemed the most polluted place on Earth.
Speaker 1: Listen to the statistic from the declassified sources. The radiation fields on the shoreline were measured at six hundred runchins per hour. If you simply walked up and stood on the shore of the lake for one single hour, you would receive a lethal fatal dose of radiation one hour. The lake was so incredibly radioactive that it could kill a human being in less time than it takes to sit down and watch an episode of television.
Speaker 2: And of course, the fundamental law of nature is that water and the elements it carries never stay in one place. Yeah, ecosystems are dynamic.
Speaker 1: Right, Because in nineteen sixty seven the region experienced a severe, prolonged drought, the.
Speaker 2: Water levels in Lake Karace dropped drastically.
Speaker 1: Exposing the highly radioactive sediment on the lake bed. The wind picked up and blew massive clouds of radioactive dust across the surrounding region, heavily irradiating thousands and thousands of people across hundreds of square miles.
Speaker 2: And what did the Soviet government do?
Speaker 1: They said absolutely nothing. There were no warnings, no medical interventions, no evacuations. They just let the population absorb the fallout.
Speaker 2: And how did Soviet engineering eventually attempt to fix this open air radiological weapon they had created.
Speaker 1: This part is almost comical if it wasn't so tragic and the nineteen seventies and eighties that their brilliant solution was to just start dumping massive hollow concrete blocks and dirt into the lake.
Speaker 2: They spent years just filling it in.
Speaker 1: So their solution to a lake that can kill you in an hour is to just poor concrete on it. It's absurd. The highly radioactive waste is still down there.
Speaker 2: It is entirely still there, slowly leaching into the groundwater table that connects to the Teca River and eventually the Arctic.
Speaker 1: Ocean, putting a band aid on a gaping wound.
Speaker 2: What Lake Karace represents is the sheer, unbridled desperation of the Soviet nuclear program. They lack the resources, the time, and the technological finesse to manage waste properly, so they resorted to barbaric environmental dumping.
Speaker 1: It's just reckless.
Speaker 2: Furthermore, this highlights the specific unchecked danger of authoritarian regimes operating without any public oversight.
Speaker 1: In a close society where the press is an arm of the state and protesting the government can mean imprisonment or death, a bureaucracy can create an absolute ecological dead zone with zero accountability.
Speaker 2: The state doesn't have to answer to the people living near Lake Karchai, so the state simply ignores their.
Speaker 1: Existence, which is a perfect tragic segue to our final historical event today, the ultimate example of ignoring your own citizens on an industrial scale. We are staying in the Soviet Union, but moving to the vast, wind swept eastern step of Kazakhstan.
Speaker 2: The Polygon.
Speaker 1: Yes, there is a massive, geographically isolated area there that the Soviet military simply called the Polygon. This was the Semipalatinsk Test Site.
Speaker 2: Semipalatinsk was the absolute epicenter of Soviet nuclear testing. It was their equivalent of the Nevada Test Site, but on a much more devastating scale regarding the local population.
Speaker 1: For forty straight years, from nineteen forty nine all the way to nineteen eighty nine, the Soviet Union conducted an unbelievable four hundred and fifty six nuclear tests at the Polygon.
Speaker 2: Four hundred and fifty six.
Speaker 1: And one hundred and sixteen of those were atmospheric tests, meaning the bombs were detonated in the open air, above ground or just slightly elevated on towers.
Speaker 2: Producing massive, unfiltered radioactive fallout that was carried entirely by the prevailing winds.
Speaker 1: And the surrounding area was not an empty, uninhabited desert. There were farming communities, villages, and towns scattered all across the Kazakhs step nearby, and.
Speaker 2: The Soviet government never told the people of Kazakhstan what they were doing.
Speaker 1: They never provided any warnings before a detonation. There were no evacuations, There were absolutely no protective measures given to the locals. For decades, they just dropped bombs.
Speaker 2: The physical reality of living near the Polygon during those forty years is harrowing. It is a study in chronic, long term exposure to varying isotopes.
Speaker 1: It is the most heartbreaking part of all the historical records we've looked at today. I want you listening right now to just picture this.
Speaker 2: Put yourself in their shoes.
Speaker 1: Picture being a young kid in one of these rural villages. It's the middle of summer, you are outside playing. Suddenly the skylight's up brighter than the sun. The ground shakes violently, and then hours later, white flakes start falling from the sky radioactive ash. The children, having no idea what is happening, run outside, they play in it, They try to catch it on their tongues, thinking it's a bizarre, miraculous summer snowstorm.
Speaker 2: Just awful, only to find out decades later that your own government, the state that is supposed to protect you, was raining highly radioactive nuclear fallout directly onto your community. It is absolutely heartbreaking.
Speaker 1: The medical statistics from the region, which were suppressed for decades, reflect the depth of that tragedy. The doctors in the region were not allowed to diagnose radiation sickness.
Speaker 2: Really, what are they call it?
Speaker 1: They had to code it as vegetative syndrome.
Speaker 2: When the Soviet Union collapsed, the truth came out. Skyrocketing rates of rare cancers, horrific spikes in severe birth defects that are still affecting third and fourth generations today, elevated mortality rates across the board.
Speaker 1: It is estimated that one point five million people were directly affected by the fallout from the Polygon, and the full scale of this medical atrocity was fiercely classified by the state until nineteen ninety one.
Speaker 2: When Kazakhstan gained its independence. One of their very first acts as a sovereign nation was to permanently shut the site down. Good for them, of course, the genetic and environmental damage was already written into the DNA of the people and the soil of the land.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's permanent.
Speaker 2: It perfectly ties our entire exploration together. Bringing us back to the most haunting concept from the historical analysis of these events. In the sources, there's a quote that's not a disaster that happened, that's a disaster that was chosen.
Speaker 1: A chosen disaster.
Speaker 2: Yes, when we look at the B fifty two over Goldborough or the collision over Palomares, we see mechanical systems failing. We see accidents exacerbated by a culture of secrecy.
Speaker 1: Right terrible mistakes.
Speaker 2: Well, when we look at the Marshall Islands, Lake Karace, and the Polygon and Kazakhstan, we see something much darker. We see how the intense paranoid pressure of the Cold War arms race fundamentally warped the morality of global superpowers.
Speaker 1: They lost their humanity.
Speaker 2: It led governments across the globe, regardless of their political ideology, to view their own citizens and the citizens of the world, not as people to be protected, but as expendable data points, as acceptable casualties on the massive spreadsheet of national security.
Speaker 1: A spreadsheet where the ultimate cost is measured in generations of bone cancer, poisoned rivers, and radioactive lakes. It's a staggering reality.
Speaker 2: To confront, it really is.
Speaker 1: So what does this all mean? As we pull back and look at the big picture synthesis of our exploration today, we have traced a deeply unsettling thread through history, from a single cheap, low voltage switch saving North Carolina from annihilation.
Speaker 2: To the British government deliberately diluting radioactive milk into the breakfast glasses of their citizens to avoid a pr nightmare, to.
Speaker 1: The intentional, decades long poisoning of the Kuzak step.
Speaker 2: The through line is incredibly clear, and it is a warning. Authority, when faced with the terrifying consequences of its own unchecked power and its own failures, will almost always default to silence.
Speaker 1: Because transparency requires accountability, and.
Speaker 2: Accountability is terrifying to a massive bureaucracy. Now we might sit here today think well, the Cold War is over. The atmosphere, kest bands are in place, the Berlin Wall fell.
Speaker 1: We've learned our lessons, and while the era of open air testing is thankfully behind us, the physical legacy of that era is very much in the present.
Speaker 2: Literally, we are still spending billions upon billions of dollars trying to vitrify the toxic sludge at Hanford. The concrete over lake Karace is degrading as we speak.
Speaker 1: And let's not forget the Mark fifteen thermonuclear bomb that is right now, at this very second, still sitting in the mud in the shallow waters off Tidy Island, Georgia. The physical remnants of this secrecy are quite literally buried in our backyards.
Speaker 2: Perhaps more importantly, the deeply ingrained institutional habit of government secrecy, the instinct to hide, the failure to redact the report, to blame the low level operator, to dilute the truth, to avoid panic. That instinct hasn't gone anywhere.
Speaker 1: The bureaucracies have just changed their focus exactly, which brings me to a final, really provocative thought that I want to leave you the listener with. Today. We have spent this entire deep dive dissecting the secrets of the nineteen fifties, sixties, and seventies the past. We are talking about the documents that eventually, after thirty forty or fifty years, finally got declassified. The truth clawed its way into the light. But consider this historical anomaly that remains.
Speaker 2: Unsolved today, the Valley incident.
Speaker 1: Yes, in September nineteen seventy nine, an American VLLA satellite, which was designed specifically to detect nuclear explosions, picked up a massive, unmistakable double flash of light over the remote Prince Edward Islands in the South Atlantic.
Speaker 2: Ocean, the classic signature of an atmospheric nuclear detonation.
Speaker 1: Exactly, but to this day, nearly fifty years later, no nation has ever claimed responsibility for it. The official US government panel at the time claimed it was likely a micrometeoroid hitting the satellite.
Speaker 2: A conclusion widely dismissed by independent scientists.
Speaker 1: Who believe it was a joint, highly classified nuclear test by Israel and South Africa. The raw data remains heavily classified. The truth of who detonated a nuclear way been over the ocean in nineteen seventy nine is still a locked away secret today.
Speaker 2: It proves that the era of massive nuclear secrets didn't end in the nineteen sixties.
Speaker 1: It makes you wonder, what are the fifty year secrets being created right now today? What are the tatastrophic near misses, the environmental cover ups, or the technological disasters happening right now that are being quietly stamped, classified, sealed in a vault that we won't find out about until we are old and gray.
Speaker 2: The technology changes, but the bureaucratic reflex to hide the mistakes remains a constant force of human nature.
Speaker 1: And that is where you come in. We want to hear from you. We've covered a lot of heavy shocking ground today. So which of these hidden disasters shocked you the most?
Speaker 2: Was it the single switch in North Carolina.
Speaker 1: The logistics of scraping up palamyras, or the kids playing in the fallout at the Polygon? And more importantly, taking a look at the world today, do you think governments have actually learned their lesson about transparency and public.
Speaker 2: Trust or are we just living in the dark about a whole new set of tear verifying secrets.
Speaker 1: We want to know where you stand on this drop your thoughts, your theories, and your answers in the comments below. We read them all, and we love seeing how you connect these threads.
Speaker 2: It's always fascinating to see the analytical perspectives you all bring to these complex histories.
Speaker 1: It really is. Thank you so much for joining us and exploring the shadows of the atomic age on this edition of Thrilling Threads. We promise to bring you more mind bending, carefully untangled explorations next time. Until then, keep asking questions and keep pulling the threads.