Speaker 1: Hey everybody, I'm Sierrah and welcome back to another episode of The Unsolved Couple, where every week my handsome cost and I've been recap one of your original gateway drugs into true crime, unsolved Mystery. Okay, I'm back from crime Con. Welcome, Welcome, Welcome to all of my new friends that I met this last weekend.
Speaker 2: Tell us all about it.
Speaker 1: Well, it was an amazing weekend and I would love to tell you more about it, but we just don't have the time, So I'm going to have to talk to you about it. I hear all about it on the next episode. I want to hear about it. We just don't have the time. We are want to hear about I was a great success and all of our new friends. Say hi to our new friends.
Speaker 2: I will not until you tell me all about crime I couldn't possibly she's not telling you because she hasn't gone yet. We're recording this before she goes.
Speaker 1: Hey, do not give away our podcast secrets.
Speaker 2: I think we've told this like a thousand times.
Speaker 1: No, But if you are new listening to us from crime Con, I'm especially extra exciting to have you here. Please make sure you follow, like, subscribe, share. Okay, but we are recapping part two of season four, episode twenty three, The Unsolved Mystery of the Diabolical Mind.
Speaker 2: I'm irritated we're still at this section this episode.
Speaker 1: I loved this episode. I liked our even our discussion we had.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying we I'm not saying I didn't like what we did. I don't like this episode.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, they're gonna have to get over it because we have all podcast right now.
Speaker 2: I don't like this show.
Speaker 1: The only way I think. I don't like this show. Everyone is aware of that at this point.
Speaker 2: I just feel that sometimes I have to state that you want to remind people.
Speaker 1: I want to remind people I don't like this show. Okay, well, I don't like the word diabolical few friends. As you can tell, I'm excited to have you here. Ben shows his excitement in a different way, but he's also excited to have all of our new listeners.
Speaker 2: I appreciate the people this support. Yeah, a dumb show.
Speaker 1: A dumb show, not this show. Robert Nachs, this show, not ours. Okay until mystery show.
Speaker 2: M H.
Speaker 1: How do you feel about Robert though our hosts?
Speaker 2: I like Robert, you know how I feel about Robert.
Speaker 1: His way of speaking is very eloquent.
Speaker 2: I wish I could speak halfway like Robert.
Speaker 1: I agree, I wish you could too.
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess if you had someone that wrote scripts for you in life.
Speaker 1: I read that he wrote a lot of his own. Yeah, you got to sit down and write. He was dest be an actor. That's right.
Speaker 2: He wasn't that one show. I don't remember what it was.
Speaker 1: It was a crime detective show.
Speaker 2: Robert is awesome.
Speaker 1: He was. He was a good man.
Speaker 2: Do you think we should put a statue of Robert somewhere?
Speaker 1: Do you wish that we could get a Wiji board and summon the spirit of Robert Stacks?
Speaker 2: We jumped a short. Let's move on.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, So if you haven't listened already, Part one is last week. Part two is this week. Last week, we talked to you about two notorious or infamous serial killers, and then Ben told us about two notorious terrible world leaders or dictators.
Speaker 2: I don't think anyone's ever heard of those lads.
Speaker 1: We went on to do terrible things, and we had kind of we had a lot of discussion around nature versus nurture and just the whole psychopathy. I don't even know psychopathy. I like you like that word around what makes a psychopath? So today we're going to unpack it a little bit further. This was originally the one hundredth episode of Unsolved Mysteries, and it's not anymore because of things we talked about in last week. So in part two we're gonna just detour a little bit and kind of talk about some different the more fringe I guess. And before we get into that, just real quick. Wherever you are listening, please make sure to follow, like, subscribe, leave us a five star rating and review. Find us on social media. We have a Facebook and Instagram and a TikTok all Unsolved Couple Pod. You can always email us at Unsolved Coupled Pod at gmail dot com. There are a couple of ways you can support the show. There is a buy me a Coffee link down below which you can send a small little thank you amount to us. It Ben and I use to actually continue to grow the technology and bring you guys a better, more polished show. There is also a subscription feature in the link below where you can subscribe to the podcast only right now through spreaker However, that does get you AD free bonus or ad free episodes. No bonus episodes yet, that is TBD on what those are going to look like. I thought about actually, and you guys let me know. Let me know in the comment section or in reviews. I had a thought about doing the new season of Unsolved Mysteries that are on Netflix as a subscription only bonus access episodes. They are very they're laid out very differently. Anyways, let me know. But it does get you for four dollars a month. That's only one dollar in episode ad free listening. Okay, So and then next week I'll talk more about crime con because I'll actually have happened. So be here for that. Be here, be here or be square, right, that's how it goes. All right, you're ready to dive into this my love to the diabolical mind, into a diabolical mind. All right, you got your some cap on your goggles. We're going to dive in. Robert Stack starts us up at the top of this story and says, quote, it may not surprise you that ninety five percent of all serial killers and mass murderers are men. End quote. So we we all know that to be true, But what about the rare occasion that we have a female serial killer, a female diabolical mane mm hmmm. As one expert says in the show, if you're looking for a diabolical gender.
Speaker 2: Well, hold on, where's my eminem's?
Speaker 1: Uh, your daughter asked for the eminem's back because you stole them and I bought them for her, so she got them back. That I'm in the middle of telling a story I had eminem's you did sneak snacks onto here? I always okay, As one expert says, if you're looking for a diabolical gender, it is the male. There are, however, a few diabolical women. Typically, these sociopaths conceal their true nature behind a veil of tenderness and warmth. And buckle up because this story is going to be crazy, all right, the wild? It is wild. And i'd actually heard this story before listening to it on Unsolved Mysteries, and I'm sure last statement aware of this. So Frank and Marie Hilly of Anniston, Alabama, were high school sweethearts, with him romantically writing letters to her while he did an enlistment in the US Navy. When he returned, they married in nineteen fifty and welcomed two children into their home. Their names were Mike and Carol. They worked together at a local foundry, where Frank was a foreman and Marie was a secretary. Word appearance, their marriage seemed to embody the loving as a loving American couple, so as Keith Morrison would say, they were the perfect couple dot dot dot.
Speaker 2: Keith Morrison is a gem.
Speaker 1: He is a gem, He's a scholar and a gentleman. Everything would change though for Frank, Mike and Carol started to become sick with stomach problems. Mike was only eighteen at the time, and he's actually interviewed on Unsolved Mysteries, which put a pin in that because you're going to realize later that it's crazy. And he recalled that his illness began just a few months after life insurance policies were purchased on him and Frank and Carol, as well as Frank subscribing to a life insurance policy subscribed by his employer. So everyone in the family, it seems as except for the wife, now have life insurance policies and then they get sick with a terrible stomach issue and doctors are unable to diagnose these stomach problems. However, Mike leaves for college, and when he does, his illness magically vanishes. However, things only got worse for Frank because he becomes much, much sicker, very rapidly, and at the same time, sadly, the Hilly's marriage is starting to fall apart, and the main tension in this marriage was money. Frank was being hounded by creditors, much of these debts being Marie's responsibility. He also came home from work to find her in bed with one of his one of their bosses on because they worked at the same foundry together. She was a secretary and he was a foreman. Whoa, whoa can no, they don't have to get Ben's told me some stories about just I cannot imagine being anyone in that situation, the man, the woman, the husband, the wife. It seems like it's a bad, bad, real bad situation. And actually the simplest way to not end up in that situation would be don't you ding dingman ding? There you go, okay, And actually I will tell you this. Mike is interviewed. He's the eldest son. He tells us that his dad called him after catching his wife and his mother in bed with one of the bosses at work, and he's distraught over this. He's also been really sick lately, and he kind of tells Mike, I think it's just time I need to leave your mom and wife, and I just want to give you heads up on it. It's really ours. I'm not This is not victim blaming at all, But if you are going to get a divorce for even terrible or unterrible reasons, no matter how old your kids are, leave them out of it. But I guess in a sense it's actually good because this becomes knowledge that not a lot of other people were aware of. So in the same time frame, Frank is also continuing to see his doctor, who is prescribing him more and more and more potent drugs, trying to cure whatever the stomach issue is. And during this time, his wife rarely leaves his side. In fact, while he was in the hospital.
Speaker 2: Except for hang out with the boss.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well she's got needs, Ben. That was a joke, jokes brunch, No where if I know that she's not a good person. So in fact, even while he's in and out of the hospital, she is making handmade meals and bringing it into him and feeding him by hand. That's that's so sweet. And here's the thing. Hospital food sucks, right, I get it, But maybe not such a good idea for other reasons that we're going to find out later. So Marie is rarely leaving this man's side and continuing to make sure that he also has home cooked meals. In the middle of the night, on May twenty fifth, nineteen seventy five, he has found prancing around the front yard in a state of confusion and delirium and is rushed to local hospital, where he showed signs of paranoia and jaundice. He passes away within a few hours of being admitted to the hospital. The official cause of death ends up being hepatitis, which is crazy because hepatitis is just not something that you accidentally get. It's insanely that they ended up diagnosing him with that. I guess the jaundice was probably because jaundace means that your liver's not working and you turn orange, right, and that's a sign of hepatitis. But yeah, so Marie the sad grieving wife doesn't seem to be showing the typical signs you might see from a grieving widow. She quickly cashes out his life insurance, which totaled more than thirty thousand dollars. What years this nineteen seventy five.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it's a lot of money.
Speaker 1: We're looking at over one hundred thousand dollars in today's in today's money. With that money, she refurnishes the whole house sensible of course, buys a new car as one would would, new clothing, and expensive jewelry check and check, and also gives her mother a bunch of gifts and recently like yeah, I don't know, it doesn't take long.
Speaker 2: She just spends a lot of money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and eventually and actually not very long, very quickly the money runs out.
Speaker 2: Well, when you buy cars and.
Speaker 1: We only have thirty, yeah, I want to hold onto that one. However, her being out of money doesn't really seem to stop her behavior, because this was back in the good old days where you could write a check check and the checks were not verified in the store. A few days, eight days checks in the mail. Right, she continues spending. So her son and I'm not sure if she listed him as like a co signer or something, or had his Social Security number attached to her accounts or her credit cards. But her son starts receiving harassing phone call from creditors wanting money from him. Marie promised her creditors that her son would pay her debts for four years after Frank's death. Carol, then eighteen years old, while her mom is spending all this money and going crazy, also starts suffering from similar symptoms that her husband and older brother had suffered from a few years before. At the time, no one had known though, that Marie had purchased an additional life insurance policy on her daughter. You have a question, ben nop Okay, He looked confused for a second. So oldest son moved away at college, husband dead, wife, blown through the money, daughter a couple years years older, now starting to get sick, secret life insurance policy check check check. So shortly after Carol becomes ill, her brother returned to Alabama to actually confront his mom about her overspending. Because by this time I think he's married and maybe as a child, and I don't think creditors are allowed to do the kind of stuff that they used to be. But back in the eighties and nineties, maybe seventies, the creditors were like they would threaten you, harass you, call your work. They were the mom. They were like unto the mom. And so they are making his life miserable. And he demands to go to the bank and cash out any funds that they have so that he can pay off these creditors and just move on with his life. And she promises him that, like, sit down, have a good breakfast, and then we will go to the bank. So she cooks him a big old breakfast, and with in like minutes of finishing breakfast, he becomes extmely ill, unable to get out of bed, and is actually able to force to like stay in bed for several days because he's not even healthy enough to return home to Florida. However, he does bounce back and is able to leave. In the meantime, though, his younger sister, Carol's condition begins to get worse and worse and worse, and she's actually taken into the hospital where she eventually becomes paralyzed from the waist down. So in the reenactment and in some other things I read, she had told her daughter that she had gotten like a secret prescription from a doctor or nurse friend of hers that was supposed to be these injections that were gonna make her better, but she wasn't allowed to tell anybody because she wasn't being prescribed. They were like being given to her on the like on the down low, and was injecting this liquid into her body, like into her buttocks, directly poisoning her daughter with this substance. So while she's in the hospital, Marie injects her and in the buttocks and hips, claiming that it would help her. However, it only continues to make things worse. So while her daughter's in the hospital, uh, Marie is actually arrested in the hospital for passing bad checks, but was bailed out of jail by extended relatives of the family. The hospital staff, however, in that time, re examines Carol and finds evidence that she had been poisoned with arsenic Dun dun dum yep. Which is a great play called Arsenic and Old Lace about two old ladies who kill people, but again, that's a podcast for a different day. In October of nineteen seventy nine, Frank's body is exhumed for a second optoxy and found that he had stripes on his fingernails, which like these white lines on his fingernails, which are a tailtale sign of arsenic in the body. Do you want to know a crazy story? So I went to beauty school, and in beauty school, I got fully licensed, right, And so we were in the class about nails, and we were told because we are not obviously medical people, but that if we saw someone come in who had these like significant white striping lines on their nails and they were complaining about other issues, that we were like to encourage them to go to the hospital immediately because that was a tailtale sign of poisoning, because it affects your nail as it grows out, like it's almost like a roadmap that something terrible is happening. But we couldn't tell them why they needed to go to the doctor because we couldn't diagnose anything.
Speaker 2: But I don't understand. You say, listen, rumor has it why stripes on nails? It's linked to our snake poison. I'm not saying you've been poisoned by our snak, but you might want to get it checked out.
Speaker 1: We weren't allowed to say that, but we were allowed to say that, hey, sometimes this can indicate an underlining health issue. It might be worth your time to go check it out. Akay, go to the emergency room right now. So Carol is also fine to have those exact same lines on her fingernails and is admitted to the hospital on January eleventh, nineteen eighty and an arrest warrant was issued charging Marie with Frank's murder. However, you guys, buckle up, because she is gone. She is nowhere to be found.
Speaker 2: I'm just now remembering the second part of the second part.
Speaker 1: Of It's diabolical, as one might.
Speaker 2: Say, I am not I am not laughing about her, but this is it is the next part of this story.
Speaker 1: Is insane. The murder, murder of your daughter is not the craziest part of this story, because we're going to actually find out that within the scope of two years, her mother, mother in law, and her husband all died of similar circumstances. Serial killer, and now she's suspected of poisoning. You know what, people, She is a diabolic, diabolical mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, diabolical, and I'm I'm trying to say diabolical as many times as robertstac did. Diabolical.
Speaker 1: Add in the fact that she also is accused of poisoning, attempted poisoning, well, poisoning, attempt to murder her son and daughter, mother, mother in law, husband, son, and daughter, five of the closest people in her life. Okay, so Carol's maternal and paternal grandparents also had autopsies where Arsenick was found, but it was concluded that they had both died of cancer. So there's a belief that she'd actually tried to murder her grandparents as well. This woman gives no f's and she's gone nowhere to be found. They cannot find this woman. She's on the lamb. She's on the lamb. However, nineteen eight, she resurfaces in Florida under the name of Lindsey Robbie Hannan and meets a man named John Homan. And during this time where she meets him, she claims that she's widowed with two children who also died in a school bus accident, and that she is on the verge of inheriting a large estate from the state of Texas and claimed that she also unfortunately had brain cancer and a rare disease where her body made too many red blood cells, so she might not live much longer, and these two begin dating, and by May of nineteen eighty one, they're married. She starts to work as a secretary, and in September of nineteen eighty two, she claims that her cancer had worsened and that she needed to fly back to Texas for treatment. So she leaves her new husband flies back to Texas, and a short time later, her new husband, John gets a call from a woman named Terry. Terry informs John that his wife had died of cancer, but that she is the twin sister and that her sister's wishes were her body be donated to research or something like science. And John is obviously distraught his brand new wife succumbed to her cancer when he thought she was going to Texas for treatments and she's never to return. And he only is informed by this by his wife's twin sister. They had no idea about, okay, so, seeing his distraught behavior and his emotions spiraling out of control buckala mm hmm, Robbie says that like she would keep in touch with him and they could kind of get to know each other through this grieving process, and so over the next little while they do they have phone communications. She tells him about that you know, there's no funeral, that he doesn't need to come here, that her body's been donated to a university. And they chat and they chat and they chat, and after a little bit of time of getting to know each other through the phone, he expresses a desire to meet his deceived wife's twin sister, and she agrees and suggests that they actually meet up in Florida. So she shows up in Florida as Terry. She lost a bunch of weight, gotten into really good shape. And that's just the terms that they use on unsolved mysteries, and the actrees in the in the play or in the reenactment had a very terrible wig on. But from my understanding, she had a very terrible blonde like box coloring, like a terrible blonde hair job.
Speaker 2: She's a blonde now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So she's lost weight, gets into good shape, dyes her hair blonde, and goes to Florida to meet John. And when John sees this girl, he's taken aback because she's like, oh, did I fail to mention that we were identical twins? But I'm the hotter, blonde, skinnier in shape. Version of my sister.
Speaker 2: Let's just be clear. She doesn't have a twin sister. It's the same lady.
Speaker 1: I yes, this is crazy.
Speaker 2: She faked her death, yeah, and then went back to the husband who.
Speaker 1: Then dates her. They start dating and she, like foll on, moves in with him. Now, mind you, he also he's a victim in this. But he bought hook line and sinker. Then his wife went to Florida for treatment for cancer. Texas, Texas, That's what I meant, and did not have a funeral and body was donated to science, and then was gullible enough to believe that this was her twin sister.
Speaker 2: I'm not putting a lot on this guy. This lady is wild. I guess what I'm saying is why that is.
Speaker 1: The million dollars?
Speaker 2: Why this is because here's the thing, there's one thing to try to kill your family that makes you an evil human being.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you had a motive for money, which is not justifying it, but there was at least.
Speaker 2: That makes you a murderer. Yes, this is not murder. This is just something weird and crazy or diabolical as some might say, as Robert Stack would say, diabolical.
Speaker 1: It's crazy. I know, at least from what they do. I'm giving you. She doesn't try to true. I could have got a full Ted Bundy slash of John Wayne Gacy on this woman and I didn't. It's wild, I know. So I will say this is where I struggle with John, because Terry takes a job as a secretary at the exact same employer that her quote dead sister was working at, and co workers immediately see what's happening like immediately, multiple people within their inner circle and their work circle say no freaking way, this is all a lie, and that is the same person, and they bring those concerns to John. He's a grieving man. I can't put a lot on John. They are concerned that he's following for a con woman and warned him about this relationship. She is unable to produce a death certificate for her twin sister, and their suspicions are proven right because local police get involved and they research, and they also fail to find an obituary for this woman in any of the newspapers in Texas in the timeframe of her death, and any place where Robbie's body was quote donated to a medical research It just didn't exist. And when Terry was taken in on suspicion, she tells she's positively identified as Aubrey or sorry, Audrey Hilly, who's wanted for murder and writing bad checks. So the police figure out who she is. She's not even the She's not Terry, she's not Robbie. She is Audrey. And in nineteen eighty three, Marie was returned, was arrested and returned to Alabama, where she was sentenced to life in prison for Frank's murder. In February of nineteen eighty seven, she fall on escapes prison. We've covered a few escapes before. Ted Bundy also escaped prison a few times. However, her freedom is short lived, you guys. This is what we call karma. While she has escaped during that time frame, she develops hypothermia because she had escaped into the back the wild back countries the winter months, and one week after her escape, on February twenty six, she makes her way into her hometown of Blue Mountain, Alabama, and attempted to enlist the aid of a schoolmate to harbor her as a fugitive. However, this schoolmate friend thought her like had not seen her since elementary school had failed to identify her as Marie and instead leaving her to be a transient woman who suffered hypothermia and was like under some sort of like crazy spell. Calls nine to one one. This woman, Marie Audrey whatever, Robbie, Terry, whatever she goes by, literally dies almost immediately after is picked up from the ambulance due to prolonged exposure to the cold. And she was only fifty three years old. This is what she died, the hypothermia after her escape. Where have you been the last three minutes I've been telling you this story.
Speaker 2: Well, I've been listening. I just didn't realize she died from hypothermia.
Speaker 1: That's wild from her escape attempt. Yeah, she like escaped through There's a whole podcast on this, and I can't even remember which one. There's several on this. But she like like lived that week long time in the middle of winter in the mountains trying to get back to her hometown like cross country did, and she came down with hypothermia and it killed her. She did not succeed, But this is what I have a question about. She ends up being buried next to Frank, the husband that she murdered. Is that weird. Yes, but okay, I don't how did we get there? I have a lot of questions about that.
Speaker 2: Maybe it was the son and daughter saying, listen, my mom was a terrible person. This happened, but this was my family. Let's just lay it the rest and be done with it.
Speaker 1: Possibly, I don't know. I just have a lot of questions. I hope Frank is haunting. This is out of it.
Speaker 2: If you poison me, I don't want you buried.
Speaker 1: Next to me. Well, if you poison me, I don't want you buried next to me either. So you guys, that is it? That? That is one example of a diabolical female of the five.
Speaker 2: Percent diabolical woman mind.
Speaker 1: So see not all men, but ninety five percent of the time it is a man. There is a lady on Instagram who goes up to men and this is like a rage bait thing. I totally get it. She's dressed super cute, she's very pretty and petite, and she goes up with her little microphone and she asks men, why are men the way that they are? And what is very telling is that so far ninety something percent of the men that she interviews ended up like full on like getting very aggressive with her for asking that question. She's like, all right, point proven, thank you so much. I have a good afternoon. All right, But that is my story, isn't that? That is an insane story.
Speaker 2: It's wild.
Speaker 1: She is suspected to have attempted to murder her both of her grandparents, her mother in law, her mother, her husband, and attempted to poison her children, then condomand into marrying him. Her faked her own death, came back as her twin sister, like, why did you go back? Dude? That's what I'm saying. That was the weirdest part of the whole story is It's not like this guy was like some uber uber wealthy. I think he was comfortable, but not like insane.
Speaker 2: Well, but she portrayed that she was the wealthy.
Speaker 1: One exactly why I don't know, and then escaped prison to die of hypothermia. It's crazy. Wow, psychopath. Okay, Ben, are you going to get into the interview? I can get into the interview now.
Speaker 2: I want to do that after.
Speaker 1: I'll do it after. Why don't you tell us?
Speaker 2: This is the only unsolved mystery of this episode.
Speaker 1: And Ben's not happy about it. He misses the.
Speaker 2: I'll miss anything about this show. But when you advertise it one way.
Speaker 1: The unsolved mysteries, Why are people terrible? Why do certain people do terrible things? That is the unsolved mysteries. There is no answer exactly, so it's still technically an unsolved mystery. There's no update on that. All right, all right here, this is a terrible story too. This I hate this story because it is so terrible. It makes me very sad. May twenty sixth, nineteen eighty nine, we get told of Joan Rogers, her daughter Michelle seventeen, and their daughter Christy fourteen. They left their farm in Ohio to go on vacation in Florida, all right, and they made multiple stops. They stopped along the way. They went to a zoo, and they also went to Disney World and Epcot Center, is how Robert Stack tells us. Not worth it.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you've never been, go once, you go once, you're good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of Epcot disney World is cut's better now than it was at this point. It was pretty boring. I don't think at this point there was like even I think there was one ride. Now there's the Red Chuy ride that is an awesome is an awesome ride, and the Frozen ride was really cool as well. I don't think I went on did go on that one? Actually? I think at one point I took a group of our nieces and nephews like an all don't went.
Speaker 2: All right. So but they arrived in Tampa on June first, which was a Thursday. How Rogers, the husband tells us Listen, they were supposed to be home on he said, anywhere between Saturday and Monday. But they didn't call, he says. When they hadn't returned home by Monday or by Tuesday, he calls and reports the missing.
Speaker 1: He says.
Speaker 2: At first he he calls her mom. She hasn't heard. So now he's worried. He reports a missing So.
Speaker 1: Because this is before cell phones and long since phone calls from a hotel.
Speaker 2: Room, you probably called once.
Speaker 1: Maybe, so even if you decided to extend your trip, I am sure when you left you didn't have a necessary firm date of being home. But also like, I can only imagine how this went where it's like, okay, day one, they you're kind of worried.
Speaker 2: But he said, and he hadn't heard, so he was like it was kind of weird. That he hadn't heard anything. They hadn't called it.
Speaker 1: It's not like them, yeah, but he also not like the biggest one.
Speaker 2: But it wasn't. It wasn't we will be home Saturday now, So they didn't show up. He's like, well, they must be coming home today. They don't anyways, So unfortunately, on the same day that he reports the missing three bodies, three women's bodies are found floating on the surface of Tampa Bay. Each had been bound with tape and weighed down with cinderblocks. I found that they were cinderblocks tied around their heads like, their necks like and they had been dumped in the bay still alive.
Speaker 1: What. Yes, they left that out unsolved mystery.
Speaker 2: No, I got that from unsolved.
Speaker 1: Miss must have missed that part. That's terrible.
Speaker 2: And all three had been sexually assaulted. So we get Robert Stacked.
Speaker 1: A mom and her daughters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have a psychopathic killer on our hands. I would agree with that statement. This is a diabolical person. Whoever has done this. We get the man Jack Levine. He has a PhD in something. He says this quote. I found it interesting. He says male serial killers are so difficult to apprehend they kill strangers, unknown motive, no crime scene. Usually there's a crime scene, no crime scene, no fingerprints, no other physical evidence. Usually only a dump sight. And that is the modus operanda of the male serial killer.
Speaker 1: Actually it's not at all.
Speaker 2: That's kind of what I was saying, incorrect. They do leave evidence. Yeah, there is a crime scene, not maybe all. Like here's the thing, yes, this one. The crime scene is the water, which leaves literally nothing. And here's the I mean, they were technically killed in the water, but something else.
Speaker 1: He murdered them in his home. His home was a crime scene. Like, there is a crime scene.
Speaker 2: Someone ted Bunny killed those girls in the sorority place. Yeah, that was a crime scene. He left evidence. Yeah, so I'm just when he says this, he like states it like this is all serial killers. There's no crime scene, there's no evidence, social fingerprints. The way he says it, it's like no male serial killer will ever be caught.
Speaker 1: Actually, most serial killers that at least have been caught make pretty big errors. It's just time and technology catching up with them. Yeah. So yeah, the Long Irish Long Island serial killer, like he just pled guilty. They left a ton of evidence. That makes no sense.
Speaker 2: So anyways, that was my quote, So sorry, I'm turning read mintos. They say, we get an FBI analysts and here we get the police. So like, this is all the tell signs of a psychopathic killer. There's very little evidence, and so without any evidence, then they just try to like put a profile together, and it's like, I mean, obviously they don't really have anything to go on. These women are from out of town, so and they're I mean, yeah, you're found in the water, so there is no like crime scene. But obviously they knew they were sexually assaulted, so there's something.
Speaker 1: There's some kind of evidence there, and now the profile is going to be important. I think at the time that this was shot and filmed, this sort of profiling was it was kind of a new thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was up and coming, all right. Tampa was their final stop. So we get this FBI profiler Jjan Batty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she says this was so early on in this field for her to have made her way into that, like, and she was looking fierce while she was interviewed. She looks awesome. I was here for it. I was a big fan of this lady.
Speaker 2: She tells us that they were victims of opportunity, because there's really no way to like pre plan this, right, he saw it, knew what he wanted to do, and he had to act in some way. He maybe planned a little bit, but there's no way of knowing. Due to their sporadic travel, there was no way to know it that they would be there and that he would have this opportunity at this time.
Speaker 1: The crime was planned, the victims.
Speaker 2: Were not so, and he probably just saw an opportunity to do that. Yeah. Anyways, so June eighth, the Rogers car was found at a boat ramp near the motel, and in the vehicle there was a note and it was like on a pamphlet, and there was and there was something written on the pamphlet and what was written was directions to the boat ramp and to meet someone there, and it just says something with blue and white. And so they believe that they got lured to the boat ramp and they were looking for a white and blue boat, and that they got lured there under fall pre false pretenses for an innocent boat ride, and possibly that's that they cut on this boat.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think that's a great assumption.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's I think it's a safe they're tourist.
Speaker 1: Someone probably offered to take them on some into the bay and why not that sounds great? Yep. And again literally like a trustworthy person and you show up and there's a blue and white boat about being a boy to boom.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that is one thing the FBI profile this is like he was probably pleasing to look at all, right, Glenn Pale.
Speaker 1: Glenn Peal's more than pleasing to look at. So what we call eye candy. If you're into that sort of thing.
Speaker 2: Well, I can tell you I have the update. He's not anyways. Uh So that's really why it's so a mystery, because they really don't have anything to go off of. So are you ready for your updake?
Speaker 1: Give us an update? Please solved? Thank goodness, because my heart just breaks with this husband who just.
Speaker 2: Like sent his he was he was a suspect at one point was he really? But he was cleared obviously.
Speaker 1: Thank goodness. I mean it's always the husband, but I just my heartbreaks that this man sent his wife and daughters off. I'm going to guess he couldn't get off work or if they had a farm or something. He had other things, responsibilities. He sends them off for a good time. They were teenage girls in an adult female. They're allowed to go out by themselves and do things, and.
Speaker 2: Then they never even want to tell you. The saddest part of this story.
Speaker 1: Okay, was he going to go with them and then something happened? No, she was pregnant. No.
Speaker 2: So his brother was a sesson and was in jail. He bailed him out before he knew. He wasn't in jail for something, but he'd done something else and he'd bailed him out. The mother took the two girls on vacation to get away because it had just come to light that his brother had sexually assaulted their youngest daughter. Oh, the dad didn't know at the.
Speaker 1: Time, so they find this out after he bails his brother out. He finds out that his brother had done this terrible thing. So the mom takes the girls to kind of just let's get out, let's focus on something else for a little while.
Speaker 2: Yep, at least that was some of the stuff i'd read.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, So the guilt that that husband must have felt.
Speaker 2: Well, and I don't want to say.
Speaker 1: Not in a bad way, but like him not knowing this obviously he's a victim as well, but thinking because I did this, it triggered the chain of events of my wife and daughters needing a break to get out of this situation. This is a common thing that people do in life. Is really hard or something terrible happens, is let's get out, let's take a beat, let's do this. Yeah, and so to think that if he had never done that, what could have been?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I don't know this timeline. It just appeared that his brother wasn't a very good person. It looked like he got arrested for something. He was just trying to be a brother to help him out. As time goes on, I don't know if it was right after that or what. As time goes on, things come about that this had supposedly happened. The mom takes the two girls and it's like, you know what, we're going to get away. Dad's like yeah, go ahead, head they go, and then this terrible thing happens to him. So I found out it wasn't from unsold histories. The police really did try. They ended up they didn't have any leads, so they put the handwriting the note on the brochure the directions they like, enlarge it and put it on billboards all over Florida. A neighbor who'd hired a guy to do work and it had like some type of like order, recognized the handwriting, called it in and there was a palm print on that brochure. The police matched the palm print and arrested and charged manned by the name of Oba Chandler older gentlemen, and he's a douche. He was a bad personally, all right, Like he'd been committing crimes and all kinds of things, robbery, all that and a lot of his life. Hughes charged and convicted a first degree murder and sentenced to death and was executed on March fift No, I'm sorry November fifteenth, twenty and eleven. His last words were, you're executing an innocent man.
Speaker 1: No, we're not. You are a loser, goodbye. No he was not.
Speaker 2: In February of twenty fourteen, DNA linked him to the murder of i've Lesi Burios Bergerios. I'm very sorry that I boxed that name. I am sorry. She was a twenty year old found dead November twenty seventh, nineteen ninety so you spend linked to four more. That's just the four. There's no way this man didn't kill more people.
Speaker 1: Sexually assaulted all three of these women, at least those three a mom and her two daughters while they were alive and could witness it. And then you tied a central block around their heads and their arms in the lee threw them into the ocean alive. Yeah. Terrible, Yeah, monster, diabolical. I'm glad that neighbor like paid attention. Pretty awesome, because I like, there are times I'm like, I don't think it paid attention enough to say this.
Speaker 2: I saw them now. I looked at it because I was curious, like.
Speaker 1: They're really distinct or somehow really.
Speaker 2: I mean, yes, it's handwriting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like I know what your handwriting like, and our kids if.
Speaker 2: Someone asked me who someone I even I I deal with here and there regularly. But obviously, like we live in a world where.
Speaker 1: We don't write write anything anymore, right, so.
Speaker 2: It's it's a little different. But just to be able to like see that and then think of that and put it together.
Speaker 1: Well, handwriting, like analysis is now considered like junk science because it's not super credible, but at the time it had more weight to it. But I think the thing that's important is that that was just the gateway into them getting a suspect. He wasn't convicted based on that alone. Yeah, yeah, Florida doesn't mess around. Dude, death sentence, you are gone, yep, yep. I was I hate. I hate that. That was his last words. No you're not dude, you are a terrible human being.
Speaker 2: I mean, obviously he appealed, but it was Governor Rick Scott, I want to say, signed his death one.
Speaker 1: Goodbye You're out. Yeah. Okay, all right, guys, Well before I jump into our last story, I'm going to read you a couple of our five star rating and reviews. You may leave these on Apple Podcasts, I think is the best place to do it. However, if you are on Spotify, you can leave a five star rating and then you can go in and you can comment under the episode and I will be reading those as well as they kind of roll in. So let me pull these up. Okay. So the title of the review says, bring on the Nostalgia. Five stars and this is from c c J. Love this revisit to a show that was such an integral part of my childhood. Such a fun way to transport back to a simpler time with the unsolved couple. Thank you CCJ. All right, binge able and the headline of the or the name under the review is Sierra Reid. Absolutely love them. I have listened since episode five and can't get enough, always waiting for the next episode. Well, thank you, Sierra Reid. Episode five that was still when we were pretty green and pretty rough. So you are an OG fan and we really appreciate you sticking around with us in our early days because I do recognize that we were literally recording in a closet in the middle of the summer with zero clue of what we were doing with equipment that we bought on Amazon. Okay, last one I read from today is from Pop Tots and Role pop Tots n' Roll. Good name, that's a good one. Title of the review it's love five stars. Body of the review that is all love it. Smiley face with heart eye emojis there you go? All right, make sure that you comment or leave a review so that I can read it aloud for all to hear. All right, all right, the next thing on this episode recap a little out of order, is we are given an interview, and I will read what Robert Stack says to you. Says quote for a close up look at the baffling a stigma of such a personality unself mysteries traveled to northern California to interview convicted murderer Daniel Walker. Now he's not a serial killer. Walker is, though, without a doubt, a diabolical mind. At the time of the interview, Daniel Walker was probably the only prisoner in California with his own courthouse works base, including a computer privileges resulting from a lawsuit against the state prison system. End quote. Okay, so we're going to get a little backstory. Over a three year period, Walker was driven several times a week to the Alamina County Courthouse, where he still to this day at the time of the interview, is preparing more lawsuits. It seems like his favorite thing to do against judges, district attorneys, journalist and correction officers. He is almost as much trouble, as Robert tells us, in prison as he was out. Now, I will say the little stretch on that one, because he was murdering people outside of prison and inside prison. He's just an inconvenience outside of prison murderer. Daniel Walker was a prison as an inmate who actually escaped from prison in nineteen seventy three while serving time for robbery and attempted murder. Several months after his escape, he murdered a television executive named William Ashlock in California, then proceeded to rape his fiance while repeatingly proclaiming his love for her. After the murder, he then forced her to help him cover up the crime. We do not get a backstory on this just in this episode of Unsolved Mysteries, but it seems like this man, yeah has There's a lot to unpack in that story. I didn't get into it because of time. So he's later arrested for William's murder. Mind you, this is only this is after he's escaped already once and is still like out being escaped. However, he claimed that he was innocent and that the mafia had actually killed William, and he decided, of course too was this something we see a lot with narcissist and with psychopaths. He was going to self represent in court. I love when these idiots do that because they think that they are the smartest man in the room.
Speaker 2: Doesn't seem like it worked and didn't I'm shocked by that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was ultimately convicted of the murder and sentenced to seventeen years to life in prison. So, during his Unsolved Mysteries interview with an FBI investigator named Robert Wrestler, he showed signs of being a quote diabolical mind, a theory that proselyates some people are unable to difference between right and wrong, or told he the Daniel, the guy that's interviewed, talked lengthy about his rap sheet, bragging about his crimes that he had committed but yet to have been charged with. He also bragged about his escape attempts and his overall life in prison. He also mentioned that him, his crimes and his life in prison are very similar actually to the police, and that they have a lot in common. So the FBI, the guy that's interviewing, does tell us like that is actually something a lot of psychopathry to do. They try to like connect with people on these things, even if they don't make any sense, And so I wrote.
Speaker 2: Down I thought it was interested. He would say something like, hey, these people, they always try to do this, and then they would literally cut to this guy and he will literally do that.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to say the name, but you know exactly who this reminded me of, didn't you. Yeah, yeah, Ben knows we knew someone in our life like this. So I wrote down just one of the questions as an example. So the FBI guy says, quote, you have had so many opportunities to stay out of jail, and yet you keep coming back in. Walker. Well, then again, you see prison, You see prison as not being successful, and just because you're in prison doesn't mean that you can't be successful. I think Solonski said the greatest freedom that a man enjoys is being in prison, because they feed you breakfast in the morning. You can go out and kill one of your cellmates and they'll still feed you lunch and give you a sheet for your bed that evening. Yeah, this, I mean this guy CAUs do no wrong, and he's like rationalizing that actually almost like it was his choice that life in prison is actually really good. So also this up kind of the read. Molloy, who is a forensic psychologist who's also interviewed throughout this episode of Unsolved Mysteries, said it best about a man like Walker, and many men who are narcissistic, who think that those smartest man in the room were actually they're idiots, said quote, he will come up with very elaborate explanations that, when thought about carefully, make zero sense. I think that that could literally be the basis. Like you and I were talking about in episode one, politicians, like all of these people with narcissistic tendency, personality disorders, or psychology or psychopathic traits, the moment any of their word solid is under a microscope, it falls apart instantly, because at the end of the day, while they might be smart in some aspects, they are idiots. I could not stand this man that they were interviewing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean he I think the point is is to hate him. Yes, and you do if you watch this, Yeah, you do hate him. What I do find funny he says that quote, how about you take the prisons. And what made me think is we see this in the world constantly. Now people take something that's in moral completely wrong, and they worded in a way where people are like, he has a point. I'm like, no, no, no, he doesn't use your freaking brain. Yeah, you're an idiot.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The entire interview guys I actually had to watch it like three or four times because the man speaking, the FBI agent is like asking questions, he's not answering him their words salad. They don't make it since they all tied back around to like how he's actually either the victim, but he's also like the savior of the situation or he has succeeded succeeded and we are actually the idiots. And I'm like, I've been in this conversation with a couple of men in my life and they are they have the most punishable faces ever. Anyways, So I did finding this out after the interview because they mentioned something about this after this actual interview, but I think before the episode aired, Walker is like gets in trouble for attempting to ship poison to him. He ordered some poison while in prison in an attempt to kill a deputy district attorney that had prosecuted him. Although the attempt failed, time was added to a sentence for this. Okay. I looked up what has been happening since the interview of Unsolved Mysteries, and here's what I have.
Speaker 2: All right, so we're an update update.
Speaker 1: So, according to the CDCR, Walker to this day as of yesterday when I did this research, May twenty third, twenty twenty six, remains behind bars as inmate B five four five seven oh. He was last denied parole in September of twenty twenty five. He is currently ninety four years.
Speaker 2: Old, as impressively as that old, and still in jail.
Speaker 1: They are like cockroaches. Men like this are cockroaches. They no one wants them around, but they always seem to show up and you cannot get rid of them no matter how much you try. So, yeah, I was in like this. Yeah, I could say a lot about this guy, but that would be actually be wasting my time and energy with him. He is an idiot, He's a douchebag. And that's kind of where guys like like. We wrap up season four, episode twenty three of Unsolved Mysteries, So I hope that you guys enjoyed our two part recap of this. I know last week's episode ran a little long. I kind of got a little carried away with talking to Ben about some of the the original story are the you know, the first part of the episode of telling Ben, because as you guys know, Ben doesn't know a lot about true crime, so I was excited to kind of tell him some of the insane stories that opened the gateway for things like criminal profiling and just a lot of stuff that we've learned since the seventies and eighties, basically because the human study of some of these terrible men that did terrible things. So, yeah, crazy story about that woman, terrible interview and then that awful story about that women and her children. But I'm glad that they found out who did it. Yes, yeah, I am too. Okay. For those of you guys who don't want to hang out much longer, you are welcome next to stage right. And for the rest of you guys, here is your crazy question for Ben, Ben, how many forward roles could you do in an emergency situation?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: Yeah, forward roles like head over.
Speaker 2: But I know what a forward role is. I don't know if I've done a forward role in twenty years right now?
Speaker 1: Yes, emergency situation, how many do you think you could bust out? I'm older, I.
Speaker 2: I if you put me like, I could do a lot.
Speaker 1: I was prose to the grindstone.
Speaker 2: I was a pretty good forward roller. But I'm pretty certain.
Speaker 1: Pretty good forward roller thirty years ago, like.
Speaker 2: Thirty minutes ago. Okay, I think after about four or five I would be so dizzy.
Speaker 1: I have jopped that. You think you could do four or five, I'm going to make a reel of this. One could do four, but absolutely not do four or five. Okay, hold on one, two, four, six. I am so dizzy right now. You're gonna regret that tomorrow. I am so dizzy. You are.
Speaker 2: But I just did six and I could keep going. Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: I would like to see you go. I mean, our room's not that big, but if we could find us where you could do six in a row without like stopping and turning and.
Speaker 2: Just go, if I had to go on a straight line. Yeah, yeah, I think four or five is about my lamate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's something about stopping real quick and turning the other direction. It doesn't make it that you saw it. I was.
Speaker 2: I was turning fast.
Speaker 1: You were so fast. It was like it was like you had new shoes on.
Speaker 2: I was lightning.
Speaker 1: Remember was a kid when you got new shoes, and it was like I felt so fast. I can run so fast in my new shoes.
Speaker 2: I got these sweet shoes, these Nikes, probably the only para of Nikes I own because nikes were expensive, and I was the there was seven kids and it said air on the side.
Speaker 1: Are they the same ones we bought fur soun Yep. Yeah. They brought some like vintage like redesigns back out and our son I thought, well, it was like some footplace in them. I wasn't full arm, but it was something like that. And the mom was like, it was foot locker, Mom, look at these. It was his birthday, so he was allowed to pick out any pair of shoes you wanted, and that she wanted to. Ben was so.
Speaker 2: Excited the same thing as I got them for my birthday.
Speaker 1: Oh, really full circle And I thought.
Speaker 2: I was so fast in those things. You probably were, I was did they make you?
Speaker 1: That just makes them sad to think all I wanted, like my fifth grade year was a pair of the light up shoes. My parents wouldn't buy them for me. I'm still to this day never owned a pair of light up shoes, and that makes me sad.
Speaker 2: I'll get you a pair of light up shoes.
Speaker 1: I don't think they make light up shoes for adults.
Speaker 2: Dude, there's everything on the internet.
Speaker 1: I really do want a pair of light up.
Speaker 2: Shoes, all right, so I didn't just answer the question. I did the question.
Speaker 1: You did the question, so right, how many forward roles could you do? Oh? Maybe three? In an emergency situation? What what kind of padding on the ground are we talking about with concrete? Or we talk I knew you did, because you're an idiot. If I was on like gym pad or like wrestling mat pad, I could do more. I'd say five or six.
Speaker 2: So an emergency at three, you'd be like, you know what, I'm out take me?
Speaker 1: Have you guys met me? I said, zombie apocalypse, I'm just going to go into the garage and turn the car on and call it good.
Speaker 2: It's never gonna work.
Speaker 1: It's never gonna work. Can you imagine trying to drag me through the forest or the hot desert during a life or death situation?
Speaker 2: You out of even get you through a mirror mace?
Speaker 1: Okay, well, the miror maze was very overwhelming, and then a zombie apocalypse is not well. I've told you I wouldn't just give up. I wouldn't even attempt just baggage for you, just save the children. I'm going to be no good. But the mirror mais was one of the worst situations I've ever been in in my life.
Speaker 2: Let's just I'll tell this story. Quickly took the kids to of mirror Mais.
Speaker 1: We all went in.
Speaker 2: Me and the kids were rolling. We're going through. I hear Cierra lose me.
Speaker 1: I am at the end.
Speaker 2: Well, you are not paying attention, you're not rolling with us, You're in the back. Next thing, I know, Sierra's gone and I can see her because it's mirrors, sitting on the ground, and she yells out, I'm gonna sit right here.
Speaker 1: I'm done and.
Speaker 2: Quits, And if I left her, she'd still be there to this day. Someone would have made zero attempt to get out of the ness.
Speaker 1: I was stuck in that maze for like twenty minutes.
Speaker 2: No you weren't, Yes, I you were like two minutes from the entrance.
Speaker 1: I was stuck in there for a very long time. You guys abandoned me, and then I got stuck where I could not find my way out, and then it was giving me a headache that all I could see was reflections of everything into infinity, and it felt very overwhelming. So I just sat down and quit and said, you will just have to confind me, and then I closed my eyes.
Speaker 2: And I did. I came and I got her, and I had to escort her out.
Speaker 1: Of the I closed my eyes and just held your hand. I didn't even look where we were going. So, yeah, when someone says no one's going to save you, actually, yeah, someone is coming to save me. It's my husband. He'll be here shortly because at some point he's going to realize that I'm I think.
Speaker 2: Two people walked by you. Probably, I think there was two other individuals that found you and walked by.
Speaker 1: What does that say about that? They left there in the depths of despair and he at her weakest point? My word? So no forward rules. Here's the problem with four rules. You might not feel it that day, but the next day, my shoulder already here. All right, guys, On that note, please join us again next week, where Ben and I recap another episode of Bye