Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Ok F I and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange Kelly.
Speaker 3: And you Amy.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's five o'clock, straight up, good morning. This is your wake up call for Tuesday, August sixth. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Ready to get up, get your day started. I'm looking forward to more Olympics less than a week left. I watched diving yesterday. Have you guys watched diving at all? It's amazing and China rules the roost like they just I don't know if this is the correct terminology. They outdive everybody. Is just so fun to watch, and especially I love the tandem diving. They were doing the women's like ten meter, which I think is what is that like thirty feet? That's quite a high dive. Also, watch the track and I am astounded by how fast these women can run. I was watching just the women yesterday, but American Gabby Thomas she won her heat in the two hundred metals, so she qualifies for the final. And then Mackenzie Long and Britney Brown also moved on to the women's two hundred meter final. I think I'm not sure if that's today, but that's gonna be fun to watch it. And can I just say these women are stunning and I love that they're like world class athletes. Same thing with gymnastics, and everybody's all dulled up. Their hair's done, their makeup's done, their nails are done. They are ready for prime time. Fun to watch and a good excuse for me to sit on the couch on a hot summer day. Here's what's ahead on wake up call. Parts of the Edge Hill neighborhood in San Bernardino have been reduced to ash and rubble, looking more like a moonscape. At least five homes have been destroyed in the fire that broke out yesterday afternoon, prompting evacuations for people living south of Ridgeline Drive. Fire's progress has been stopped. Vice President Kamala Harris is expected to announce her presidential running mate, and the pair are then expected to head out immediately onto the campaign trail. Harris and VP Pick will hold a rally in Philadelphia today. Pennsylvania Governor Josh Shapiro in Minnesota Governor Tim Walls are said to be the top contenders. We're going to hear more about that with ABC's and Flaarty coming up at the bottom of the hour. July was the hottest month ever on record in California. New data shows the average temperature was eighty one. That's two degrees higher than in twenty twenty one. The month started with a heat wave that lasted almost two weeks and played a role in the spread of wildfires, including the fourth largest ever in California that has burned four hundred and six thousand acres. Yesterday, of course, a wild ride on Wall Street. We're gonna watch what's gonna happen today, and we're gonna find out if you should panic now or stay the course. We're gonna be talking to our money guy, Joel Larsgard that's coming up before the top of the hour. He's always got great financial advice for us. We're also going to be checking in with Jordana Miller in Jerusalem as things continue to stay at fever pitch as a worries of a more widespread war continue in the Middle East. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour Newsroom that fast moving wildfire has destroyed several homes in San Bernardino.
Speaker 4: In the mid afternoon, the fire along Beverly Drive on Little Mountain had consumed one hundred acres, taking several houses one by one. By early evening, firefighters had stopped it from spreading. San Bernardino County Fire depart and spokesman Eric Sherwin says this fire was a fast one.
Speaker 5: It moves so quickly across the slope.
Speaker 4: Even getting our structured defense engines in place in enough time that they can actually do productive work was quite a challenge. On this incident, around two hundred firefighters were called to the scene at its height, including from neighboring counties in San Bernardino. Michael Monks KFI.
Speaker 1: News Neighbors who lived below the burning hillside watched in horror as the fire consumed homes on Little Mountain. Cameron Luna says he's learned a lesson to be ready for a wildfire at his door.
Speaker 5: During the fire, when there was chances of ambers running to dry areas over here, I started grabbing things kind of late. So I'm going to be a little bit more prepared next time.
Speaker 1: Luna says he and his neighbors at the foot of the hills started watering their properties in anticipation of the fire moving their way. Firefighters were able to stop it before that happened. A federal judge in Washington has ruled in an anti trust case that Google has acted to maintain a monopoly over the online search business Abces Rebecca Jarvis's. The ruling yesterday could also impact other companies.
Speaker 6: The judge will now decide whether to break up parts of Google or how the company operates as part of its business.
Speaker 1: Google says it will appeal the ruling. Japan's benchmark nie K average has soared more than ten percent, a day after it set markets tumbling in Europe and the US. The knee K fell more than twelve percent yesterday. Nearly everything on Wall Street was also down as investors worried the US economy is slowing too much. The SNP five hundred sanc three percent. That was its worst day in nearly two years. The Dow dropped more than a thousand points. The Nasdaq was down three point four percent. As I mentioned, we're going to be talking more about that with Joel Larsgard coming up at the bottom. Actually, before the end of the hour, let's say good morning to ABC's Jordana Miller in Jerusalem. Jordana, we're hearing that an attack by Iran and its proxies against Israel could come at any moment. So how are Israelis preparing for that and kind of where what's the feeling where you are in Jerusalem.
Speaker 7: Well, I would say things are very very tense, and there's kind of a low grade anxiety as Israeli's kind of weight for the moments that the spokesman for the Israeli Army, you know, holds a pressor and says, okay, now the moment when everyone needs to be, you know, close to their safe rooms. So you know, Israelis are essentially stocking up on water and canned food and you know, putting mattresses down in their safe rooms or cleaning out bomb shelters if it's in a building, and basically getting ready to hunger in for you know, the attack. It's clear that Iran is going to launch what it calls, you know, it's called it a decisive strike, but we still don't know exactly when it will start and if it will also include hasbo Lah, which is likely, but as the lag could strike separately or first, because one of their top commanders was also killed hours before the top HOMOS leader was killed in Tehran. So you know, there's a lot of a lot of moving pieces. And the estimate here at least in Israel, which now really is in line with the American estimate, is that the Iranians are still trying to figure out exactly what they're going to do, and that's why we haven't seen the strike yet, but it's surely coming.
Speaker 1: Okay, and Jordana, when you get the word, like you said, you're kind of waiting for the word that people need to get into their shelters and that kind of stuff. When the attacks are launched, how much warning do you have do you? Like, they know when the rockets are launched, but what's the time span before they potentially would hit.
Speaker 7: So I'll try to explain it, you know, based on what happened in April. For example, there were drones, cruise missiles, and ballistic missiles that were fired, and the drones take several hours directly from Iran to reach Israel. The cruise and ballistic missiles are quicker, some are a couple hours, some are something like fifteen twenty minutes, so you know, essentially you know at the first sign that something has been launched, which in April were some of the drones, everyone went into kind of emergency mode and then we're able to you know, hunker down. And we were even told in April when the first hits would probably make it through some if some made it through Israeli airspace and were shot down in Israel because there were so many. They told us an estimated time, which they were quite accurate. It was somewhere between one and two am, right, and in Jerusalem. We thought, you know, Jerusalem wouldn't be a target, but then some of the drone, some of the missiles were shot down over Jerusalem and that sent the sirens going. So we were I mean I was up anyway, but I took my kids to you know, the safest spot in our house for those for those humanettes, do not.
Speaker 1: Envy the position you guys are in right now. So also.
Speaker 7: The rockets are unnerving.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the rockets aren't only headed to Israel. We got word that some US soldiers were hurt yesterday in a rocket attack in Iraq. How are they.
Speaker 7: Doing well, We're waiting to hear from the Pentagon more details, but it appears a handful of servicemen or injured. The most likely culprit are pro Iranian militias who attacked at the beginning of this war back in October. We saw Aron use some of those militias to attack us. Please make headlines because everyone was trying to get their heads around what you know, around what exactly happened October seventh. But you know, they were waving essentially to hear more details. And obviously it was a provocative move by Iran. They see that the United States is boosting and moving their defenses in the Middle East to help Israel, you know, defend itself against this attack, and you know, it appears that's probably part of the motive for attacking US assets.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, some tense times ahead, and I hope I know cliche to say, be safe, but I hope that you are. And we'll talk to you again soon, Thanks so much, Jordana.
Speaker 7: Yeah, okay, Tuck soon, thank you.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A man has been arrested for pulling a gun on a woman who honked at him. P least say the woman honked at the man as she drove her husband to work on Monday. The sixty year old man then argued with the woman at a stoplight, followed her to her husband's work, blocked her car into the parking lot, and then allegedly got out and pulled a gun on her. Multiple agencies have raided a home in Coasta Mesa that may have been a den for squatters and meth addicts.
Speaker 2: Nineteen people were arrested. Coasta Mesa Police Lieutenant Scott Stafford says homeowners complained about the house for almost a year.
Speaker 6: The complete centered around transient type activity, illegal narcotics use, in narcotics sales.
Speaker 8: In addition, they also complained about people possibly living out of the garages.
Speaker 9: He says.
Speaker 2: Three garages were red tagged and animal control took in five dogs, one cat, and two baby chickens. He says all nineteen people were sent to jail Friday for various reasons, including outstanding warrants, probation and parole violations, as well as resisting arrest, drug possession and sales. In Orange County, Corbin Carson kf I news.
Speaker 1: A man who allegedly stabbed a physically disabled man to death in Irvine has been killed by police.
Speaker 10: The former caregiver of the man allegedly drove his car in to the garage of his former patient, thirty eight year old Alexander Bash. Irvine PDS Kyle Oldorp says the man stabbed Bashed to death and took off with the knife, where he was shot by police.
Speaker 1: Officers immediately rendered first aid and life saving measures to the suspect, who was transported to a hospital and later pronounced decease.
Speaker 10: Bash's current caregiver called nine one one early yesterday morning when she found him bloody and unresponsive. His family says he was bound to a wheelchair and had no chance to get away.
Speaker 1: Chris Adler Kin News. The National Transportation Safety Board is said to hear from people aboard a Boeing Max the seven thirty seven Max plane when a door panel blew out after takeoff. That blowout happened in January. A two day hearing starts today. The board is calling it a fact finding hearing. The NTSB will not vote on a probable cause for what happened. That probably won't happen for another year or longer. After more investigation, an elector vehicle charging company has come up with a way to try to keep users from hogging charging stations. Electrify America is experimenting with cutting off people who linger at ten of the busiest Evy Fast charging stations in California. The driver will be told to unplug and leave once the battery is eighty five percent charged, or they'll have to pay another forty cents per minute in idle time fees for taking up the space. The Dodgers back in LA to take on the Phillies tonight. First pitch goes out at seven o'clock. Listen to every play of every Dodger's game on AM five to seventy LA Sports and stream all the games NHD on the iHeartRadio app Keyboard to Say in five to seventy LA Sports powered by LA Care for all of LA and excessive heat warning remains in effect through this evening in the San Fernando, Santa Clarita and Analog Valleys and all of Riverside County. Heat advisories also up in the Santa Anna Mountains and foothills until eleven tonight, temperatures could hit like one ten in some areas. We're expected to get a bit of a break in the heat, starting a mark. The Department of Homeland Security has paused a migrant sponsorship program because of concerns a fraud. The parole program was set up to discourage illegal crossings at the US border. Instead of crossing, the program allowed people to fly into the US if sponsors here agreed to provide financial support to the immigrants. For two years, Nearly a half million people have reportedly taken advantage of the program. Crypto dot Com Arena has found another way to honor late Lakers legend Kobe Bryant. The entrance, formerly known as the Eleventh Street Entrance, is now called the Kobe Bryant Entrance. Brand has two statues outside the arena. The second of them was unveiled just last week. A third will be unveiled next season. It'll be a statue of Kobe wearing his number twenty four uniform at six oh five at handle on the news, Google's more than a search engine, A judge says, it's a monopoly. Right now, let's say good morning to ABC's Annez de la Catera in Paris. Good morning, Sure, something very unusual happened yesterday and women's gymnastic, and as you told us about it right as it was happening. But Team USA didn't win any medals on the balance people.
Speaker 11: That's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a bit of a bubber. But we've also you know, a good reminder that they are you know, they're only human and you can't win them all. And they did do an amazing job regardless overall in these Olympics. So this was the last day of artistic gymnastics, and we did see them competing in the beam final and the floor final. In the beam it was Toumy Lee Anthimone Bils. They both fell off the beam, so they didn't make the podium there, and then in the floor final they still did very well. They got so someone got the silver and Jordan Childs got the bronx and two medals there for Team USA, but it was the Brazilian superstar war buck On Drage who got the gold. I think what worked against the Moon and that one was the neutral deductions out of bounds twice with both her feet, and typically that doesn't really work against her because her routines are so complicated, but in this case, the Brazilian just had an incredible routine and so she did get the gold. There's a really nice moment though at the end where all three of them got on the podium and you had Simone and Jordan both kind of bowing down to Andraj as she was celebrating her gold, and it was a beautiful moment of camaraderie.
Speaker 1: Happy to see Andrej win though, because man, like you're rooting for her. You know, she did such a great job at the Olympics. But Simone is such a powerhouse that you know, she just kind of all ships rise when you're with Simone. So it was fun to see Andreja get the gold in that, even though it wasn't for Team USA.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and she's so inspiring. I mean, her whole backstory of you know, I was reading that she grew up in the slums and that her brother would walk her two hours for her to go to the gym, and she's a very I mean, all three of them have very inspiring personal stories. But it is cool to see Andraje, you know, be rewarded. She's had such a good run. She's just seventeen at her personal so she's got you know, we'll be seeing a lot.
Speaker 1: More of her well, yeah, and Simone had said when she was done, she was like, this was great. I loved it. She said, I don't know about twenty twenty eight, but I am getting old because Simone's is she twenty seven now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's on the older side for a gynes. It was that she had kid an earlier pressed days ago where she did say that, you know, she did say that she's getting old, that you know, she might be nearing me into her career, but that because the next games are going to be in La, you know, she she was indicating that she yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was watching diving yesterday. China just dominates in diving. They're amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're amazing. And China's been doing very well these Olympics. Also, I will say we are now tied her first place with the in terms of the gold medal tally with China, so they had been leading pretty much the whole time. We did tie them on Sunday and they won another couple of medals, so they pulled up ahead. But we did just win another gold this morning in surfing and that tied us back with China. So we are now each both China and the US have twenty one gold medals. We are still leading in the total medal count with seventy nine gold medals so far. The surfing one was cool to see. They've had they've been having weather issues out in Ta TV, so that's where the surfing competitions are being held. And we've talked a lot about weather here in Paris and the rain during the opening ceremony, the rain that's affecting water quality of the Sen River. But they've been having weather issues out there too, and so these surfing competitions have been continuously delayed. But they did go ahead finally this morning and we did have Tmusay winning gold, so very exciting.
Speaker 1: And that was the women's surfing right.
Speaker 3: That's right, Yes, that's right in the shipboard.
Speaker 1: She's from San Clementi, which is in our neck of the woods. So that's fun and I think Tusa still has a lot of chances to win gold because we were hitting the track. Is the two hundred meter final? I can't say two hundred meter because the two hundred meter final today for women, I know they did the heats yesterday.
Speaker 3: Refer for they will have the two hundred meter final for men. That's going to be tomorrow and today will be for women, so we are hoping for, you know, a medal. Mayn with Gabby Thomas, I think is the probably a best bet for a medal. You do have you know, another runner for Team USA there, so we'll see. But but yeah, that's the women. The men's it's going to be tomorrow. No Lyles competing in that you favorite to medal in that competition. You know, he did incredibly well over the weekend. He said that the two hundred meter is his race. That is what he loves to do. He prefers, you know, doing that one, so high hopes for him. And then yeah, more track and field later this week. Today, we've also got some basketball to keep an eye on, so the US against Brazil and quarterfinals. Team USA of course favored to win in basketball as well.
Speaker 1: Yes they are. We love our Team USA. Thank you so much. And as where are you getting to go see anything today?
Speaker 7: I'm hoping to go.
Speaker 3: I just wrapped it this morning. I've been able to sneak away early in the mornings or late at night, so it's some kind of hard to make it to some of these events, but I did make it to the equestrian the jumping. It was the final day the individual jumping, which is.
Speaker 11: Really fun to see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we didn't meddle, but it was still very fun to see.
Speaker 1: Well, that's okay, we don't have to meddle in everything is Dela Katera. Thank you so much from Paris. We will talk to you tomorrow. Thank you, all right, thanks again, au revoir. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four our newsroom. The hot weather is expected to stay with us for at least the next couple of days. The National Weather Services relief is on the way, with a cooling trend starting tomorrow. Forecasters say temperatures should get within a few degrees of normal by Thursday, but they say until then, we're gonna have very hot conditions because of a high pressure system over southern California. A man shot and killed by police in Hemmett al legedly pointed an airsoft pistol at officers.
Speaker 7: To The.
Speaker 6: Hemmeett Police Department has released bodycam video of the shooting. Officers were initially alerted to the man by staff members of a local bar, who said the man was intoxicated in armed the.
Speaker 3: Mouth, dropped his phone, and he said a firearm.
Speaker 11: Fell Yep, did he pick it up?
Speaker 1: Where did it go after that?
Speaker 5: Yes, he did pick it up.
Speaker 6: Lawyers for the man's family say they want the officers prosecuted for the shooting last month. The Hemmett Police Department as stated officers had no way to tell the man had an airsoft gun. Blake trolley kff idea.
Speaker 1: Is Tropical Storm Debbie is now inland on the east coast. Work ansters are warning heavy rain and the threat of dangerous flash flooding will continue for a few more days. Justin Grainey with the North Carolina Emergency Management system says people have been getting ready.
Speaker 8: A lot of lessons, of course, been learned through our response to Hurricanes Matthew and Florence, and we use those in making life saving decisions and resource allocation decisions as we move into further on through this week.
Speaker 1: Two to three inches of rain and an hour is forecast to combine with storm surge along the coast to trap runoff and create potentially catastrophic flooding. Vice President Harris has formally secured the Democratic nomination for president. Her nomination became official once five days of online balloting by Democratic National Convention delegates ended last night. Harris is the first woman of color to lead a major party ticket, and of course she's expected to announce her choice for a running mate at any time. We'll let you know when it happens. Congressman darryl Isa from San Diego says his office is offering aid to Americans trying to get out of Lebanon. His office is helping with visas, passports, and travel aid for those leaving the country after the US Embassy in Beirut warned US citizens to get out of the country because the fears of an escalating conflict in the Middle East. A federal judge is ruled that Google violated US anti trust laws and is operating as a monopoly. A lawsuit filed by the in several states claimed Google paid Samsung, Apple and others billions of dollars to make their web browsers the default on phones. The ruling could force Google to change the way it operates and even sell off parts of its business. The Dodgers warmed up in shirts that said hashtag Max Strong yesterday as first baseman Freddie Freeman returned to the lineup. Max is Freeman's three year old son, who's home from the hospital after a severe case of gian Barret syndrome that caused a temporary full body and now paralysis. He is regaining his strength. Freeman was greeted by fans with a standing ovation during his first at bat last night. Love that. At six oh five, it's handle on the news. The Red Cross wants your blood. There's a nationwide shortage. At five point fifty, the host of How to Money is going to help us dig into what happened on Wall Street yesterday. You know, whether you should be worried, if you should do anything or just ride out the storm. Also, what's ahead right now? Let's say good morning to ABC's and Flaherty. Good morning, and.
Speaker 11: Hey, good morning, happy to be here.
Speaker 1: Good someone's about to be happy because they're about to be announced as the VP. Pick Any indication of who Kamala Harris is going to choose.
Speaker 11: You know, that's right. There's a lot of speculation in DC. Everybody is sort of in this, you know, on edge, waiting to hear from her. She leaves this morning or I'd rather this afternoon for a rally in Philadelphia, And the question is who's going to be by her side? At this giant rally where they expect some ten thousand people to attend. You know, we do have it narrowed down to three. Governor Joshapiro, the governor of Pennsylvania, obviously a very popular pick. He won his state by fifteen points, which is virtually unheard of in a battleground state.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 11: Then you also have somebody like Mark Kelly, Senator Mark Kelly. There was some speculation this morning with a tweet that he sent out that maybe he wasn't picked, but of course he's the former astronaut, is very popular in his home state of Arizona, another battleground state. Of course, if she picks him, you're going to have a Senate race on your hands come twenty twenty six, so that might not be the best option for her. And then you have Governor Tim Wallas of Minnesota, who a lot of Democrats really like his rhetorical style. It's kind of Midwestern charm. He's very popular with rural voters. So, you know, a lot of these candidates have different things to offer her, and I think at the end of the day, it's going to be who does she think can help her win and who does she vibes with who's going.
Speaker 1: To help her govern Doesn't it make sense that it would be Shapiro. I mean, they're doing the first rally in Philadelphia.
Speaker 11: Well, you know, I wouldn't argue with that, but her campaign has said, don't read into that. We picked that site to do the first rally for various reasons that actually has nothing to do with the candidate. She was still deciding. Yesterday, we were told by a source close to the campaign that she actually had not made her decision, and she had met with these three top contenders on Sunday. So you know, we're being told not to read into it. But you know, I wouldn't argue that. He's certainly not an I mean, he's certainly an attractive candidate for her because of his popularity with moderate voters and those moderate conservatives in a swing state like Pennsylvania.
Speaker 1: Well, and I have a little breaking news for you. We don't know who it is yet, but now we're hearing that she has actually made the decision, because last even up to last night, they were saying she hadn't made the decision. But we're just getting it's crossing on the wires that she has decided on her running mate and will announce it in the next few hours, so we will find out and then that happens. You mentioned there's a rally in Philadelphia and then they hit they hit the ground running. Where are they going?
Speaker 11: Yeah, that's right. They're going to be going to seven different states in five days. So you know, she's going to be going to these states. Wisconsin, I believe is one of them, Pennsylvania. What's interesting is that jd Vance, who is Trump's VP pick, is going to be almost you know, you hate to use the word trolling them, but he announced in his own speaking schedule in any of these same states. So I think it's going to be you know, very very interesting to watch her go through. You know, I'm looking at some of these other states where she's going to be going through Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan, Georgia, Arizona, making stops in North Carolina and Nevada. I mean, these are all states that you know, the Democrats have to win. This is this is the state. These are the states that matter. There's no you know, misunderstanding. California is always going to vote for Kamala Harris. But the question is can she win a state like Pennsylvania or Georgia or Arizona. So I think her VP pick will factor into that. Because her number one job here is to try to win. They are very focused on that. It's also about who she can govern with, but it's really about who she can win with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and of those who aren't picked an, I know it's super early, but are some of the others who are potential contenders. Would they be considered for cabinet positions if she won?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think absolutely. I mean, we're in an unprecedented campaign season here where they actually haven't had much time to do any background research on any of these people.
Speaker 8: You know, a lot of them.
Speaker 11: Aren't very well known nationwide. You know what skeletons do they have in their closet? That's going to be a factor in a lot of these decisions about who might be you know, picked to run cabinet level positions. The Democrats don't seem to struggle as much as the Republicans with having people, you know, willing to step up to do those kinds of jobs of you know, energy secretary and secretary of State. We do have on the Trump side a lot of people who had governed with the former president Trump who said that they are not willing to do it again. So they're going to have to figure out. You know, there's a lot of positions you have to fill if you're elected to government. They're going to have to figure that out. I've spoken with government experts on this who, interestingly enough, say, you know, both candidates are behind and figuring out how they will actually staff the government and run the country because you only have a few short months between the election and taking over. So that's something that they've got to consider.
Speaker 1: Yes, but we are putting the cart before the pony. We'll just wait and see who the VP pick is. That's the big, the big reveal for today, and then we'll watch as they hit the can pagntrout see what they have to say and how they are received.
Speaker 11: That's right, absolutely, Thank.
Speaker 1: You so much and appreciate your time. As always, we'll talk to you again soon.
Speaker 11: Thank you, by bye.
Speaker 1: All right bye, Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The LAPD has released images showing three people possibly involved in the shooting death of actor Johnny Wact in downtown La Wector's friend and fellow actor Michael Parker has taken Instagram to push for swift justice.
Speaker 3: My faith calls on me to forgive, but that does not mean that you escape the consequences of your actions here on earth.
Speaker 5: But in order for them.
Speaker 3: To pay for their crimes, they have to be captured.
Speaker 1: The police image is released over the weekend show one of the three people with the two tattoos on their face. The three people were seen in what is believed to be a stolen black four door Infinity Q five with a tan interior. A homeowner in Laguna Beach has been ordered to stop harassing people who are visiting Victoria Beach.
Speaker 10: The California Coastal Commission warned the woman to clear out the rope she used to section off portions of the beach she claims is their property. This woman says the same woman told her months ago not to lay out in front of her home.
Speaker 3: He set up on the sand, nowhere near any property, and a lady came out telling us that we needed to pick up and move our things because we were blocking her property in the entrance.
Speaker 10: The woman was seen in a viral TikTok video last month yelling and cursing at visitors telling them to get off her property. The commission says she has until next month to clear the area or she'll be fined more than eleven thousand dollars a day.
Speaker 1: Chris Adler KFI News, Thank you, Chris. So. Olympics continues today and I haven't watched last night's competition yet. We know that Simone Biles and Jordan Childs both metaled on the floor. They got silver and bronze. I love that Biles and Childs going together. If you miss that and you still want more gymnastics, this is very cool. There is a tour coming to southern California called Gold Over America Tour, and it's going to feature our little goat, Simone Biles and Jordan Childs is also going to be part of it. Jade Carey, who medaled and was part of the metal gold medal winning US women's gymnastics team. She also happens to be from Oregon State University, which is my alma mater, so I'm extra excited about that. But they're all going to be at this tour. It launches in San Diego in Septembers. It September, where did I put the dates September seventeenth, I believe, and then on the twentieth it's going to be at Crypto dot Com Arena. So again Simone Biles, Jadkerrie Jordan Chiles, and then Stephen Netterasik who is on the men's US gymnastics team. He won bronz in the pommel horse individual and also help Team USA get that bronze medal in the team competition. So if you're looking for gymnastics, the Gold Over America Tour coming to Southern California, I'm super excited. I gotta go get tickets. Vice President Kamala Harris has made her choice. She's planning to announce her pick for her running mate in the next few hours. Harris and her VEEP pick will hold a rally in Pennsylvania this afternoon. Her campaign is saying just because there's a rally in Pennsylvania doesn't mean that Pennsylvania Governor Josh Shapiro is her choice. He is one of the top contenders, along with Minnesota Governor Tim Walls. An LA City Council committee will consider an allocation of another four hundred million dollars to settle some legal claims and finalize completion details for LAX's people mover project. If the city approves the money, the total cost of the delayed project will increase to more than three point three billion dollars. It's now supposed to be completed late next year and be ready to start moving people in January of twenty twenty six. People who live in the hills near the Hollywood sign say there are just too many visitors. Residents say people double park and stand in the roadway to take selfies with the sign in the background. Yep, I'm guilty of that. And one resident says the roads just can't accommodate so many cars. They're calling for a limit on how many people can come up the hill when we're just minutes away from handle. On the news this morning, metro buses are soon going to automatically be ticketing cars that get in their way. They're going to tell you about that right now. Let's say good morning to the host of How to Money on KFI. It's Joel Larsgard. Joel, let's talk stock market.
Speaker 9: Everybody's talking stock market.
Speaker 1: Aren't they eat well? You know when it drops over what it was? It down over eleven hundred points or just under eleven hundred points. That's a lot.
Speaker 9: Yeah, three percent drop them one day. And it's just so interesting to see the way the news media and a lot of individuals too are reacting to something that, really, in the grand scheme of things in stock market history, is a blip and almost insignificant, i'd say, and so that, yeah, but you're still seeing like highlighted terms like bloodbath and you just I think as partly the twenty four hour news cycle, we have to fill it with something, and so hey, if the market is acting up just a little bit, then let's highlight this and make it seem as dramatic as it can possibly be.
Speaker 1: Oh hey, Joel, I got to interrupt you just a second, because Vice President Harris has just picked Minnesota Governor Tim Walls to be her running mate. That's according to CNN. We'll bring you more on that. So sorry to interrupt you, but wanted to let you know. And again, k if I'll be all over this, but apparently Minnesota Governor Tim Walls is her pick.
Speaker 9: Okay, Okay, let's keep talking stocks then real.
Speaker 1: Yes, let's get back to stocks. Didn't mean to interrupt you, No, that's totally fine.
Speaker 9: That's really important news Okay, so just on this. When you're someone who's just it's slowly but surely putting money in your four O one K or your roth ira, I think sometimes these headlines they maybe hit you in a way and you're like, am I supposed to do something about this? Is this massive drop? Is this bloodbath? Is this crater during my potential retirement? And that's what's disconcerting to me about a lot of these headlines in the way people are treating. Ultimately, what is a non dramatic thing is it's going to cause some people at least to tinker or to sell off some of their investments and go into cash, and then they don't know when to go back into investments. And ultimately the thing is stay the course, especially for long term investors, this is essentially insignificant in the grand scheme of things for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you know how I always use myself as a cautionary tale because I've been really bad. Yes, in the two thousand and eight or was it two thousand and eight, it must have been, Yeah, I pulled my money out. I freaked out, and.
Speaker 9: I remember having a conversation with a friend and he was like, I'm thinking about it, and I was like, don't do it like you're doing it the worst possible time. And that's the exact kind of behavior amy that a lot of people exhibit. They freak out and they and they're worried about, oh, could this get worse? And the thing is, think about think about what would have happened with those funds if you'd left them invested. Not to rub it in obviously, but like the truth is, like you're still working, you're still contributing, you're buying all along the way, and the market eventually recovers even and that was a much more significant downturn what we experienced yesterday, just to put it in context, where the stock market is still up roughly ten percent over just in this year alone, in twenty twenty four alone, we're only down eight percent from all time highs. And the truth is, when you look at statistics as well, two thirds of years the stock market experiences a minimum ten percent decline. So I think people got used to, oh, my retirement account, my investment accounts, Well that's basically like a high old savings account. But on steroids, there's like no fluctuation, there's there's very little risk. And the truth is if you want the higher reward, you have to deal with the higher risk. And it's the emotional behavioral element that can be hard to tame, but that's what we need to do if we want to be good investors over time, so we stay the course no matter what. And especially when it's a day like yesterday, if that caused you to freak out or think about making changes, the one thing you're going to want to consider is are my investments too risky? Am I over allocated to stocks? And it's not a knee jerk thing that you want to do today, but you do want to at least assess and say, if I was considering making changes, if I was freaking out, what would my allocation need to be so that I'm not freaking out in future downturns.
Speaker 1: So maybe it's a good time to just talk to your financial advisor, take a deep breath, and wait and see what happens. Because I know, like you said, bloodbath, people were screaming recession and that might be coming, but we just don't know yet.
Speaker 9: And that's exactly right. I mean, some people are saying this is indicative of something worse coming down the pike. That might be the case, I don't have a crystal ball. I can't predict the future. I don't know. But even if it is, the truth is what has happened in the market over the last couple of years has been pretty incredible, pretty insane, pretty otherworldly. And so if we had a pullback or a correct and went into correction territory, that's and especially for young investors, that's the thing is, let's get into the mentality of let's buy stocks when they're on sale. A lot of people are like, oh, look at my portfolio balance going down, and I get if you're reaching retirement age, that means again you need to reassess your risk tolerance and what you're invested in. But especially for those younger investors, the millennials and the gen z ers out there, it's like, have the mentality that now, oh the market's going down, let me continue to buy and buy on sale, and I'm just getting a better bank form my buck.
Speaker 1: It's the long game, baby, Yeah, no doubt. Okay, speaking of buying things, we talked a few weeks ago about something that I bought online. And remember I was telling you guys that I got a Dodger's jacket and I was looking for it. It looked like it was on sale. I ordered it and when it came five weeks later, it was not very good quality. It didn't fit, and so I wanted to return it. And then and I said, okay, mail it back to us. And it was like over two hundred dollars to fedeics back to Pakistan. And I was like, well, I guess I'm just out that money. And Joel suggested to contact your credit card company and challenge the charge. And so I actually followed your advice, Joel, and wanted to give you an update. Okay, we did an interview over the phone. I told a very nice and very helpful person what happened. So you know, when they say customer, no service, this was actually customer service, which was a nice which was a nice change and super easy to do. You just call them, you say i've got a charge to dispute. Here's what happened, and tell them the story and they take it down. They gather the information and ask your questions and stuff. She said, okay, we'll review it and let you know I got the money back.
Speaker 3: Yay.
Speaker 9: See, this is one of those things that is that's a big win. That's sticking up for yourself. It took you much how much time out of your life in order to call that money back?
Speaker 1: Oh for the ACTU, we'll call it was about ten minutes, the back and forth with them, with the emails and all of that stuff. I mean, it was a couple hours, but you know what, it was one hundred and fifty bucks. Yeah, so it was worth it.
Speaker 9: I love it. I love that you did that. And there was like another article recently about just some new statistics coming out about how people are actually using that that chargeback status more and more. That's one of the best benefits of credit cards. Realizing that, hey, if I buy something in the retailer or the company I'm doing business with doesn't follow through, I have rights and you don't necessarily have the same right. You definitely don't have the same rights when you pay with cash. If you're paying with a debit card, you're trying to call your own money back versus hey, this is money that hasn't left my account yet.
Speaker 1: Yep. So for more great financial advice like what Joel gave me and you know, got me some money back, which I so appreciate. You can find out more on how to Money Sundays noon to two right here on KFI. You can also follow Joel at how to Money. Joel. Thank you, Joel Larsgard. Appreciate your information and your tips and tricks as always.
Speaker 9: Yeah, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll talk to you next week. Okay, okay, well we're about done. But again, Vice President Harris has formally picked maybe hasn't made the formal announcement yet, but she has picked Minnesota Governor Tim Walls to be her running mate in the twenty twenty four presidential election. They're heading out on the campaign trail with a first campaign rally in Pennsylvania this afternoon. This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.