Speaker 1: You know, it kind of blows my mind that JavaScript, a language initially like hammered out in just eleven days to make websites a bit more lively, now packs enough punch to construct full blown audio applications, synthesizers, drum machines, write in your web browser.
Speaker 2: It really is something else.
Speaker 1: Let's really dig into that, because today on the deep dive, we're plunging into JavaScript for sound artists Learn to Code with the Web Audio API. It's a super useful book by William Turner, edited by Steve Leonard. Our goal to basically connect what you already know about audio with the fascinating possibilities of JavaScript programming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because instead of being stuck with desktop software, you could potentially build and share a unique synth with anyone just a weblink exactly.
Speaker 1: That's a fundamentally different landscape for audio creation, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It absolutely is, And it's remarkable how this book speaks directly to that creative audio community. You don't see many resources teaching programming to sound artartists using examples they get. The beauty isn't just that these Web audio API tools exist, but that they're accessible through JavaScript, which is just everywhere. It really lowers the barrier for sound artists to experiment with coding sound way less complex than it used to be.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and if you've ever gotten lost tweaking knobs on a synth or programmed to MIDI sequence, or maybe just wanted about the code behind interactive websites, then listen closely. This deep dive is crafted just for you. We're going to pull out the key ideas of those aha moments to show you how JavaScript and the Web Audio API can unlock totally new sonic territories and hopefully without drowning you and tech speak.
Speaker 2: Right, it's about making audio creation even more accessible, isn't it like how democratized production? This brings coding for audio right into the browser, which almost everyone has. What kind of creative doors does that open up? Think about it?
Speaker 1: Exactly? So, just to give you a roadmap, we'll explore how the book cleverly uses these audio examples to teach core JavaScript fundamentals. Yeah, we're talking variables, functions, and crucially how they talk to the Web Audio API to make and shape sound in real time. All your browser ready to tune in?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, let's lay the groundwork.
Speaker 1: Okay. Chapter one laying the foundation. It starts with a really interesting question what is a program?
Speaker 2: And the answer they give is pretty broad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, any set of instructions created or followed. They even use early analog since you know, with the patch base as an.
Speaker 2: Example, which is such a great starting point. It connects programming to something tangible for sound artists, they've basically been programming with patch cables.
Speaker 1: Already, right, just learning a different language for it now exactly? Then what is JavaScript? And this origin story is wild nineteen ninety five Netscape, Brenda Night, brendan Ike. Yeah, just eleven days to cook up this language for web interactivity. And it was called live script first.
Speaker 2: Live script before it became JavaScript. And the book makes it really good. Crucial point here. Oh yeah, it's got nothing to do with Java, despite the name that trips up so many people.
Speaker 1: Right, super important distinction.
Speaker 2: And today JavaScript is just well, it's everywhere, robotics, smart homes, you name it.
Speaker 1: Incredible versatility. And now the star of our show, what is the Web Audio API? The toolkit exactly. Think of it like a pre built code toolkit nestled right inside your browser, specifically for making musical and audio tasks. Way way simpler saves you building everything for the ground up.
Speaker 2: And what's cool is you're writing in JavaScript, but the api itself that's built using stuff like c plus plus b a Java machine code, powerful stuff happening under the hood in the browser.
Speaker 1: So you're getting a friendly interface to some serious audio power.
Speaker 2: Precisely.
Speaker 1: Okay. So the chapter wraps up with practical first steps. It recommends Brave as the browser and tells you how to open the developer tools. That's cray L plus Shift plus J or command plus option plus J on.
Speaker 2: Mas the essential tool.
Speaker 1: And they also point you to stackoverflow dot com specifically the web audio api community. There like having a global.
Speaker 2: Help desk, which is so vital for newcomers right. Knowing where to get help when you inevitably hit a snag makes a huge difference.
Speaker 1: No kidding. Okay, let's move to chapter two, Getting started with sound and code. Time to make some noise.
Speaker 2: Literally. They contrast the classic Hello World.
Speaker 1: Program yes, which just prints text.
Speaker 2: With their Hello Sound program. Much more fun for.
Speaker 1: This crowd, for sure. So instead of text you get sound. The book gives you this simple snippet audio context New Audio context letosciaudio context dot create oscillator audise dot type sign ovc dot connect audio context dot destination, audio context dot current time.
Speaker 2: Let's break that down, maybe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good IDEA. First line gets the audio engine ready new audio context right. Second line creates an oscillator that's your sound source. Create oscillator, got it. Third sets the sound type here it's a pure sign wave offc dot type sign. Fourth connects it to your speaker. Connect audio context dot destination, yeah output. And the last one says, go right now start audiocontext dot current time.
Speaker 2: And the cool thing is that immediate feedback you type that, run it and bam sound. That direct code to audio link is super motivating.
Speaker 1: Definitely. And they mentioned you need their web audio template and a local web server like the one in Sublime text to actually hear it.
Speaker 2: Right, crucial practical step.
Speaker 1: Next up variables. Think of them like labeled boxes for storing info.
Speaker 2: Containers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, containers. The book uses let waveform type equal saw too as an example. Let is the keyword saying new variable coming up declaration right. Then waveform type is the name. Notice the capital T that's CamelCase. You need it because variable names can't have spaces.
Speaker 2: Try it with the space let waveform type and you'll see an error right away in the console. Good lesson in precision definitely and at equals.
Speaker 1: It's not equals like in math.
Speaker 2: It's the assignment operator exactly.
Speaker 1: It takes the value on the right. Yeah, the string saw tooth in quotes and stores it in the variable waveform type on.
Speaker 2: The left, and those quotes tell JavaScript it's a string, you know, text data.
Speaker 1: They also bring in const. It's like let, but for variables you don't want to change later.
Speaker 2: Immutable sort of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, try reassigning a const variable of the book shows constant oscu one thousand off key eel some thousand and boom.
Speaker 2: Error.
Speaker 1: Keeps your code predictable.
Speaker 2: Good practice.
Speaker 1: Then there's declaring without a value like let waveform type. JavaScript automatically assigns it the special value.
Speaker 2: Undefined, which is its own data type, not a string. No quotes.
Speaker 1: Right, These little differences let const undefined. They seem small, but they're fundamental to how JavaScript works.
Speaker 2: Absolutely foundational, okay.
Speaker 1: Making code human readable. Comments, potential use for single lines or for multiple lines. The computer ignores them, but they tell you what's going on. Let waveform type saw tooth oscillator.
Speaker 2: Value it's like leaving notes for your future self or your collaborators, so important. As things get complex totally.
Speaker 1: Then they revisit hello sound to show variables in action. They make variables for different waveforms saw tooth, sign, triangle square. Then they assign one of these to another variable like current waveform. And the cool part is you can change current waveform later without using lead again. Just assign a new value.
Speaker 2: That's mutability, the ability to change the variables value.
Speaker 1: And if you actually do this in the browser, change current waveform from signed to saw tooth, you hear the difference instantly, it gets buzzier.
Speaker 2: That's the magic. Connecting code changes to audible results makes abstract concepts totally concrete for sound folks.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we covered string and undefined. They briefly mention null two, another data type often used to intentionally show a variable.
Speaker 2: Has no value, right, deliberately empty.
Speaker 1: Then back to strings. You can stick them together with the plus sign that's concatenation.
Speaker 2: Or use template literals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, template literals with the backticks. They let you embed variables right inside the string, like yeah to phrase sound type cleaner, somethe times, and yes, strings can have spaces.
Speaker 2: Crucial for interfaces handling text data.
Speaker 1: And if you need the length of a string, just use length like mystring dot length counts spaces too handy property. Then they introduce built in string methods tools for manipulating strings like to uppercase or to lower case.
Speaker 2: You don't need to memorize them all no way, but know they exist. Check what slice slice tools in the toolbox for when.
Speaker 1: You need them exactly. Next, numbers, key thing no quotes. Put quotes around one hundred and twenty three and it's a string, not a number. You can do math with right.
Speaker 2: And the basic math operators plus from multiply for divide and percent.
Speaker 1: The modulo gives you the remainder after division.
Speaker 2: And if you're ever unsure what data type of variable holds, use type of type of my variable.
Speaker 1: Super useful for debugging. Okay, then boolean data type just true or false perfect for on off states.
Speaker 2: Let synth this on true fundamental for logic.
Speaker 1: They quickly mentioned assignment operators like plus or not as shorthand compound assignment, and then comparison operators. These compare values and give back a booleion true or false like for.
Speaker 2: Strict equality checks value and type.
Speaker 1: Right, and for strict inequality CEO too. Yeah, the book stress is using the strict ones because the non strict ones can do weird automatic type conversions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, strict equality avoids surprises. It's essential for making decisions in your code. If this condition is true, do that.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's jump to chapter five. Functions encapsulating actions. This is where code gets organized.
Speaker 2: Right, we've got our data building blocks, Now how do we organize actions on that data? Functions they're the workhorses.
Speaker 1: The book calls them reusable blocks of code. Yeah, stop repeating yourself. They do specific tasks based on inputs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like a synth module takes inputs, does something gives an output.
Speaker 1: Good analogy. They start simple function effectsbox. Input takes an input, returns it doubled.
Speaker 2: And you call it or invoke it with affectsbox one twenty.
Speaker 1: Right, it gives you two forty. The book breaks down the parts function keyword the name effects box, barenthes for parameters.
Speaker 2: Like input placeholders for input.
Speaker 1: Curly braces for the code block, and the optional return statement for the output. They even mention js dot comments for documenting parameters.
Speaker 2: That input output idea parameters in return value out is core programming stuff makes code modular.
Speaker 1: You run it with the name and parentheses. Values you pass in when you call it are arguments, and if you give too many.
Speaker 2: Arguments, jobscript just ignores the extras.
Speaker 1: Interesting. They also show function expressions assigning a function to a variable like let add function ab return a plus b shows functions are like data.
Speaker 2: Which is super powerful, especially for callbacks.
Speaker 1: Later on, Yeah, and they mentioned functions help abstract way complex stuff like playing that oscillator makes code cleaner definitely. They show a working effects box with a multiplier parameter to make it flexible, and default arguments, setting a fallback value if an argument.
Speaker 2: Isn't provided useful and they touch on the arguments object, but quickly move to the modern.
Speaker 1: Rest para right. The syntax lets you gather multiple arguments into an array function some dot numbers.
Speaker 2: Cleaner, more flexible way to handle varying numbers of inputs.
Speaker 1: Now a big one function scope Variables you declare inside a function with let or const. They're local they don't clash with variables outside.
Speaker 2: But the function can see its on variables and variables in outer scopes, including the global scope.
Speaker 1: Which is why the book Cammer's home. Always declare variables with let or constant inside functions. Avoids accidental globals and weird bugs.
Speaker 2: Absolutely vital advice for organization and preventing side effects. They also mention hoisting for function declarations.
Speaker 1: Briefly, Yeah, they get moved to the top conceptually. Then anonymous functions functions without names often used on.
Speaker 2: The fly, like in callbacks or expressions, which.
Speaker 1: Leads to closures. This one's a bit more advanced.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it can be tricky.
Speaker 1: Think of it as an inner function that remembers the variables from its outer function even after the outer one is done running.
Speaker 2: It keeps its environment.
Speaker 1: They use the effects box example again showing the inner functions still accessing the component variable from the outer scope. Whoa kind of mind bending it.
Speaker 2: Is, but it's super powerful. Allows functions to maintain state. Essentially crucial for lots of patterns.
Speaker 1: Okay. Next, callback functions functions you pass as arguments to other functions.
Speaker 2: Enables flexibility asynchronous stuff.
Speaker 1: They show a calculate frequencies example that can use a default calculation or a custom callback you provide, and then built in JavaScript callbacks.
Speaker 2: Like array methods, dot filter, and map.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these let you operate on array elements really elegantly using callback functions. Imagine filtering audio samples with that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, filter and dot map are incredibly expressive for working with data collections. Fundamental for event handling too.
Speaker 1: Chapter five wraps with function aerosyntax the expressive just a shorter way to write function.
Speaker 2: Expressions, especially concise for single parameters or simple returns.
Speaker 1: And finally, recursion. A function calling.
Speaker 2: Itself need that base case absolutely.
Speaker 1: To stop it from looping forever and crashing your browser. As they hilariously warn, they show a loop from two.
Speaker 2: Example all again for some problems, but maybe not your everyday tool.
Speaker 1: Starting out right, okay, big jump out to chapter ten Simplifying DOM programming with jQuery.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we got JavaScript basics down. Now interacting with the web page itself exactly.
Speaker 1: The book introduces jquerys library to make interacting with the DOM the document object model way easier.
Speaker 2: The DOM is like the page of structure, right, all the HTML elements, yeah, the.
Speaker 1: Blueprint and manipulating it directly with just JavaScript can be verbose. jQuery is like a set of shortcuts. Pre written code.
Speaker 2: Handles browser differences too. Simplify subtax write less, Do more is the motto.
Speaker 1: So how do you use it? Two ways to include it? Download the file or use a CDN, a content delivery network.
Speaker 2: CDN needs internet though, good point.
Speaker 1: Then the basic pattern select an HTML element, then do something to it and select.
Speaker 2: Acting is where jQuery shines. Uses syntax like CSS selectors.
Speaker 1: Right, if you know CSS, this feels familiar. The sign is the key. You can select elements like dive child elements, t span descendants, p span, multiple types, dive span p.
Speaker 2: Or by id, hashtag item or class night item.
Speaker 1: They're very powerful.
Speaker 2: Once selected, you use jQuery methods like dot CSS to change styles. You can set one property or multiple using an object.
Speaker 1: And CSS is just one of many methods for changing content, attributes, styles, everything.
Speaker 2: So the book does this great practical thing refactors. The early Oscillator player code using.
Speaker 1: jQuery shows the different side by side. Yeah, the longer JavaScript for finding the on off button or the frequency slider gets much shorter with jQuery selectors like hashtag on off or input dot eq one.
Speaker 2: To vowel explaining eq for selecting by position and dot vowel for getting form element values.
Speaker 1: It really shows how much cleaner and more readable jQuery can make that dom interaction.
Speaker 2: Drives home the benefit immediately. See the code shrink All.
Speaker 1: Right, well more leap Chapter twenty three Building a step sequencer. This is where it all comes together, a real interactive audio app in the browser.
Speaker 2: Yeah, building your own sequencer. That's about designing custom rhythm logic. Huge potential beyond standard sequencers.
Speaker 1: But the chapter starts with a problem precise musical timing in JavaScript. Standard set interval and set timeout aren't quite reliable enough, right.
Speaker 2: They drift, and once you schedule something, it's hard to unschedule cleanly.
Speaker 1: So the books solution a custom schedule function. It doesn't just fire and forget. It constantly checks if it's time for the next event. More control.
Speaker 2: The core idea uses a future tick time variable. It tracks when the next tick should happen. The scheduler uses set time out to repeatedly call itself, comparing future tick time to the Web audio API's current time, so.
Speaker 1: It's like a self correcting loop for timing exactly keeps it accurate.
Speaker 2: In tempo changing, the BPM adjusts a countertime value which directly changes the timing within them.
Speaker 1: Makes sense. Then they build the sequencer logic using JavaScript arrays, kick tracks and air track, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Each number in the array is a step in say a sixteenth note sequence. Simple way to represent patterns position is time, value is on off or velocity maybe gen.
Speaker 1: To play the sounds a schedule sound function. It loops through the track arrays based on a counter and triggers the right sound at the right time.
Speaker 2: Then the UI the grid. They use jQuery to dynamically create HTML deve elements. Each row is an instrument.
Speaker 1: Columns are steps dynamically generating HML. That's powerful. jQuery makes adding those elements easy totally and making it interactive. jQuery is on click clicks on the grid cells dot grid item.
Speaker 2: Yet dot index figures out which cell in the row was clicked right.
Speaker 1: That index tells you the musical step. Clicking toggles the step number and the corresponding track array adds or removes it. And they toggle CSS classes too, so you see the active steps light.
Speaker 2: Up, visual feedback. Hello crucial.
Speaker 1: Finally, they mentioned jQuery listeners for a metronome but and a tempo slider, so user interaction controls the whole thing in real time.
Speaker 2: It's a fantastic example pulling everything together. JavaScript fundamentals, Web Audio API for sound and timing, jQuery for the interactive UI, a full browser audio app.
Speaker 1: So wrapping up our deep dives, what a journey from what's a program to JavaScript basics functions, simplifying with jQuery and building a step sequencer. JavaScript for Sound Artists really does connect audio thinking with programming concepts effectively.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it demystifies. It shows you don't need to be a coding guru to start making cool sonic tools in the browser with the Web Audio API and libraries like jQuery.
Speaker 1: So if this sparked your curiosity, If making your own web audio tool sounds exciting, definitely check out the book.
Speaker 2: There's way more in their audio files, effects, building sense.
Speaker 1: Loads more, which leads to a final thought, go on, just like early hardware sense opened up sound creation, could JavaScript and the Web Audio API be this new way of accessible, shareable audio innovation online.
Speaker 2: That's a really interesting question. What kinds of tools and experiences could you the listener build with this? What does audio creation look like when it's native to the web.
Speaker 1: Definitely food for a thought. To explore more, check the book's companion side JavaScript for Sound Artists, dot com code examples resources. It's all there, yep, and let us know what parts of web audio interest you. Your questions might just spark our next deep dive