Speaker 1: For members only. Golf Smarter number three hundred and eighty nine, published on June eighteen, twenty thirteen.
Speaker 2: Welcome to golf Smarter Mulligans, your second chance to gain insight and advice from the best instructors featured on the Golf Smarter podcast. Great Golf Instruction Never gets old. Our interview library features hundreds of hours of game improvement conversations like this that are no longer available in any podcast app.
Speaker 3: But now we're getting into the green reading, which is an important factor because in the green reading again, we're talking about three major areas. What's the speed of my putt? And what's the slope of my putt? Am I efficiently aiming? Am I efficiently making a ball to roll end over end?
Speaker 1: Two feet?
Speaker 3: Straight? Two feet and straights? Am efficiently aiming? Now? How do I read the green? So? How do I read the green? Is as I decide what the speed of this green is slow, medium, or fast or super fast. We assume that all greens are two degrees of slow, which quite frankly is probably true on an app two degrees around.
Speaker 1: I have two degrees I know when you have multi level greens.
Speaker 3: Right, I'm looking at the hole. I'm standing around the cup because keep in mind, the last five feet in my puttet are the most important aspects. As the ball slows down, that's when gravity has its bigger effect. So when I got a thirty foot pott, the first fifteen or twenty feet of that are important, but not as a massively important to the slope. The most important areas that sloping area around the hole.
Speaker 1: Breaking down the details of vector putting are two with John Grunt.
Speaker 3: This is Golf Smarter.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Golf Smarter for members only. John.
Speaker 3: Yeah, great to be here.
Speaker 1: I'm glad that you're still here. All right. I want to pick it right back up where we were on stag right, and to redefine stagg. It's kind of your method of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's a methodology that I think that are four principal areas that good putters are always involved in, Okay, as being speed, speed t two feet and straight two feet.
Speaker 1: And straight aim for a and G is green reading.
Speaker 3: That's correct, all right, So.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about do we do we fully finil one?
Speaker 3: One thing I need to add about the speeds see is important in that based on the new technologies of green reading which vector and and aim point involve, which is, you know how how a ball travels over over distance in time and friction and uh, slope and all those things that are involved, which which are derived from mathematical equations to help you read putts. Okay, now that sounds very complicated and and uh, but both of them have done a better job of breaking it down so that you don't have to be a nuclear physicist to figure it out. But I found vector to be a little bit more simple for myself. But one of the components is the speed, And both of them kind of agree that about twelve inches past the past the whole is what they equate into their their algorithms to to at the appropriate point or the appropriate aim alignment to make your putt. So what this means to the average golfer is if I roll a ball one inch past the front edge of the cup, I'm gonna I have a better chance of my ball going in than if I roll it by fourteen inches. Okay, the faster the ball comes to the hole, then the less surface space I am using of that cup from a gravity standpoint for that ball to go in. So that once I start getting past about two feet, the chances of my ball going in the hole unless it hits dead center are becoming very slim, and.
Speaker 1: It might even just hit the back of the cup, pop up exactly.
Speaker 3: That's at about two and a half feet. That's pretty much the equation. Okay, so once you get to three feet past the cup, you know, the idea of never up, never.
Speaker 1: In is I don't know what that means.
Speaker 3: Well, if I never got the ball to the hole, it would never go in.
Speaker 1: Oh well, of course, okay, one hundred percent of butts that are short, Well I'll here's my other say, one hundred percent of the puts that are too fast don't go in either. Well that makes sense.
Speaker 3: Okay, So so you know, so speed becomes an essential component and how much speed we have, so how we plan to hit every put is important and the speed as a major factor. I use more of the hole if I have proper speed than I do if I have the improper speed.
Speaker 1: So you're cutting out if you have too much speed, You're saying that you're eliminating a lot of the hole. Right, And not only is the place where the ball is.
Speaker 3: Going not only if you don't have the proper If you don't have the speed that's based upon your reed, then you can't hit the putt appropriately. So one of the aspects of speed that's really important, which is very profound to me, and once I started looking at it, was my first component of after I've hit a putt, in analyzing the putt that I hit or or evaluating the putt I hit, is that I have the right speed. That's more almost more sportant to me than the line, because what I want to reduce for everybody, and especially the higher handicap golfers, but even golf pros, we want to eliminate three putts. So really, really, for most people, their problem isn't that they misread the putt by ten feet. They just mishit it by five feet, you know what I'm saying. So generally our speed is as a big a factor. I mean, the chance of having a putt that breaks three to five feet is less often than a putt that maybe break eight to twelve inches that we just had the wrong speed on. So speed becomes a much more a very important component of becoming effective at putting, or become what I call functional.
Speaker 1: When I play over at the nine hole course down the road, here, which we've talked about before at McGinnis, and you teach there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I play with somebody who's new to the game or has been playing long. I always love to ask them, you know, on putting, what is more important? Speed or distance or direction?
Speaker 3: Speed or direction? Right?
Speaker 1: Distance or direction? Yeah, And they're like, oh, direction, it's really important. It's like, yeah, well, let me let me show you something here. And so you just hit a ball right at the hole but goes eight feet past or you hit a ball at the exact right speed but it's twelve inches wide. I'd much rather have that one correct.
Speaker 3: And and you know, it's I think it's part of the bigger thing is people because if their first thing is hitting the ball and they just can't get it to go where they want. But most people, if I hand them a potter and say here's a twenty foot pot I can kind of get them within a few seconds to get that ball moving towards the target within within some sort of efficiency.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: But the thing that they have, over a period of time, they have a tough thing of doing is getting their speed consistent. And that's a challenge that's a hard thing to Yeah. So so the first part is stagg is speed, and the next part is two feet and straight.
Speaker 1: Okay, tell me that means well.
Speaker 3: Two feet and straight is is you've seen. You might have seen this now with a lot of PGA Tour players. But again it's this relationship to the target concept that I like to share with people. If you put a line on your ball, and if I if I hit that ball, if I put that line directly at the top of the apex of the ball, which is directly on the line I want to hit it. If the green is relatively smooth and I make good contact in the direction that line is going, the ball will roll end over end and I'll see it. I'll see a direct line that's going end over end. If I've made a stroke where the ball is wobbly, if I haven't made solid contact, if my face doesn't match up to where my intention of that line is, then I'll see a wobbly line. So what I want to do is I want to make sure that my student make sure that ball is rolling end over end towards his intended target. If he's doing that, then there's a certain amount of efficiency lack of side spin with that club face in the target, and that's kind of what I'm after. All good putters do that very effectively. One of the drills I have that you'll see during this that I could show I show my students is I actually have them put off a three foot steel ruler, right okay, And I usually make it only two feet. I give him a foot behind the ball, and I give them two feet extending out with the line in the middle of that ruler on the ball, so that when they hit it, it's going to roll off that ruler and go straight for two feet. Because the in the end, I believe that every put in golf is straight.
Speaker 1: When it leaves the club face.
Speaker 3: No, every putt is straight. Gravity pulls it. I don't. Oh, So I plan to hit every put straight and I and I let gravity take care of itself.
Speaker 1: And that's where the break is, right, okay.
Speaker 3: That's where gravity and friction could be. Could be some grain involved, but either gravity or grain or wind could be a little bit of wind involved less less often on that issue. But I let the break happen. I hit it on a point that I have predetermined, and I hit it straight, and I let those things happen. And that's most people see it in straight lines. They don't see in curve lines. Most people see, you know, uh, in that sort of dimension more effectively. So I find that if I can get a putt a student to hit a putt two feet and straight, then from a from a mechanical standpoint, he's on track right and and and could we always improve our efficiency of our putt. I can put you on a SAM putt lab, I can put you on some other technology out there and probably find that, yeah, it could be slightly better. And that involves a lot of different variables in the stroke, the pace, in the time of your stroke, the distance, the speed of which you go back and forwards, the consistency of that, all these other things. But primarily, if a putt, if a guys are women, young men, old men, all whatever a golfer is getting that ball to roll end over end, then we're on the right track and we don't need to spend too much time there.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, so.
Speaker 3: Two feet and straight is a double combo. It's a it sort of solves, it's sort of a it's sort of a thermometer or or sort of a check for his mechanical aptitude abilities to hit the putt. But it's A also helping me define, helping them see it's more simple to hit a putt just straight and let the break happen.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to get back to G and stag.
Speaker 3: But we're up to A and now A is for aim right now. The fact is that it's our relationship. The target is often determined by our aim. But I have seen over the years all sorts of odd aiming with their body. I've seen guys stand more open. I've seen great putters Bobby Locke stand to look closed and make hit great putts.
Speaker 1: When you say open and close, you're talking about.
Speaker 3: Body alignment, right. But but the one thing that's pretty tried and true is face alignment to the intended target. Ironically, which I always thought was the best putters will be best aligned with their club face. Well, the truth is is that even the best putters don't aim exactly perfect to their line, their intended line, but by impact time they are perfect. Okay, But my contention is that if I can get my students more efficiently lined up with their club face to their intended line of target, they have a better chance of repeating a higher quality of putt.
Speaker 1: But that's the basic truth with every club in your hand, as long as the club face is square at impact, correct at impact.
Speaker 3: But you know, we're also talking with standardizing the address position, and that's primarily what I'm doing here with the aim. I don't worry too much about the aim when the impact is taking care of what this ball rolling end over end okay to my intended life. So I can get a guy. Oftentimes I'll get it like a higher you know, low handicapped tour type player, college whatever, really good amateur, and I'll say, hey, get this ball to roll end e rent, and he'll roll it end over it. And then we go to the aiming point and I'll find that at four feet he's aimed half an inch. I'll outside the cup on a straight pot. Well, how does that happen? Guess what? The brain's smarter than what we you know, our brain's out smartness. You know, our visual acuity system is working in a in a dimension that we don't fully understand. And that's okay, you know, but I find that if I can improve upon that, then it becomes more simple because he's making some compensation. If he's starting with an open club face and getting him back to square. Then he's making some compensation in his stroke that's not as simple. He's making his his stroke more complicated or or her stroke more complicated. I want to make their stroke more less complicated by starting off with a face that is lined up to their intended line. And if we can do that, and I show them to do that with simply with a sharpieon a credit card, like I showed you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, explain that.
Speaker 3: Well, what I do is, I like sometimes I can eliminate the credit card, but the credit card kind of helps. If if I get you, I have you line up without any without any aids on the ball. I get you to line up at a spot, say four feet away or five feet away, and when you're lined up, I remove the ball and I put a I put a I put a credit card up against the face of your putter. I have you pull away your putter, and then I draw a straight line across that credit card where your face was. And then I draw a ninety degree angle across that credit card. And then I extend that line with the other aspect which we which we haven't really talked about, which is a line that I have above the ball that extends out to about ten feet.
Speaker 1: And it's about a string.
Speaker 3: It's a string that's that's on some knitting needles. It's it's a spongy string that extends on a straight line. And I and I show you that line out to the hole at ten feet with the ruler underneath it. But I can move that line over and show them very quickly if I extend the I've now made a ninety degree angle to that credit card line I made with the sharpie on the green, and I've now made a ninety degree angle. And if that angle is not pointing towards the t four feet away, then we know you haven't lined up directly to your club face. And most people, I think, even you, who lined up pretty good, we're about a half an inch off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that that's a really really important.
Speaker 3: And you're a very good at line's. That's a good number, by.
Speaker 1: The way, Well, thank you. Well, I've always marked the line around my ball, and I've always tried to line that up right, you know, with my target line. And then when I address the ball now I'm trying to be exactly my feet, my body, everything ninety degree perpendicular to that line.
Speaker 3: And you see that way by the way, just a little footnote, not everybody sees parallel lines like effectively. So so Jack Nicholas used to line up a little open with the ball in front. He's left eye dominated. If I was to as a little drill that I do at ten feet or twelve feet, We're all take a dime and two dimes, and have you line up over one dime and tell me when I'm lined up, and then I put a I stand about two thirds of the way out there, and I put a dime in the middle of it, and I go, is that dime on a straight line to your target? That what you see? And they say yes, And then they stand back and look at it, and that dimes two feet right or I mean two inches right of their line because they're lying. People don't often see in effective straight lines. You know, they don't often see effectively as they think they are seeing. So what they actually see and what's actual reality aren't often the same. But what you've done, and by putting a straight line on the ball and using the string drill and using the ruler, you can kind of retrain yourself to see lines that are our actual straight lines and it's such a.
Speaker 1: I think, a critically important drill to do for yourself, because you know, I mean, it blows my mind that people don't even stand behind the ball to make it. They just step up to the ball and think that they're lining it up. And then then then I fall over laughing when they you know, they hold their club up with their shoulders and like, okay, yeah, I'm lined up. It's like, you know, I was standing behind you when you were trying to do that. Right, You're about, you know, twenty two degrees away from what you're really aiming at, but you think you're there.
Speaker 3: Right, you know, keep in mind that our brains has the optical system is an amazing and I've only touched a little bit on the surface of my research lately. But when we stand behind the put, we're looking at it with our eyes hopefully level to the terrain, and that's how we're taught to see depth, perception and things. But then all of sudden we get up the ball and now we're looking sideways. And then finally when we look at the ball, we're not even looking at the target, right, So what are we looking at and what are we doing? And so having these aids and training ourselves to do this is you'll see golf pros doing this all the time. That again, these are one of the things I learned as kid. Why why do guys put chalk line on the ground all the time When I was a kid, Gosh, they had this chalk line out there. One of the things I did is spent I spent a lot of time in motel rooms when I was traveling as a kid as a young man. And one thing I would do is I'd kind of line up. I'd put my rear end up against the wall. I'd find a flat wall in the hotel room, and i put my rear end up against the wall, and I'd drop a ball underneath my left eye, and I'd mark that spot, and i'd measure that spot from as a distance from the wall, and then i'd measure that distance down ten twelve feet away, and then i'd put a ball, and I'd put two coins down there, or a ball marker or something, and I are teas or something, and I would put. I would put my ball where I'd drop the ball underneath my eye, and then i'd put and so my body both both cheeks would be touching the wall, So now I'm parallel and then I'd have it over that ball, and I'd train my body to be parallel to my target and to see that line parallel to me and what it feels like and what it feels like to be in that moment. Again, golf is just a golf, is not around a golf. It's a collection of moments that equal around. So the quality of those moments equal the quality of the round. So how can I enhance the quality of that moment? Again, it's the relationship to my target. And again STAG is just a constant evolution of developing and of developing the quality of that relationship to that target in that moment. And keep in mind that we're playing this on a big piece of property where elevation changes and the light changes over the course of the day, and the weather changes, and all these things are constantly changing, and so it's a challenge to be constantly re evaluating my relationship to a target in spatial terms. And the air at one hundred and fifty yards, it's acceptable to hit it ten feet long or left, but it's not acceptable to hit at ten inches right. At twenty feet it greatly affects my round, you know, or even at five feet to be five inches right or three inches right or a half inch right. If I don't have the right speed, I get to use a lot of the whole four to quarter inches basically is I think a diameter of a hole. I'm thinking real quicker it's but right along that four point twenty five is the width the behole, and I get to use if I have the right speed, I get to use all of that. Right, So all these factors again, speed two feet in stea right, aiming four point four point twenty five, So I get to use all of that hole, right, And that's my that's my objective. What can I what can I maximize in this moment to my given abilities?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Right? That's all I'm trying to do. And now we get to green reading.
Speaker 1: And now we get to the critically important element of this right and this is no green is flat? People think though it's a straight putt, there's.
Speaker 3: Right, No sen Why aren't Why aren't fred Why aren't all greens flat? Irrigation correct? Why?
Speaker 1: Because you can't have standing water on the green it'll die, it'll die, A and B people won't come up if it's raining I mean because we have a glass here, we have a course out here, a stone tree that drains incredibly well. It could rain for three weeks straight and it stops on Monday Tuesday. You can go out and play. You'll be stepping a lot of mud, but the greens will be in phenomenal shape.
Speaker 3: Right now. Again, the fairways too that they've done a good job. But soil also helps with that too. They have a nice li home soil over there, but drains down real well. But they've done a good job at drainage there, and that's important. So we know that's a good tip. Okay, so let's look at green reading. What's the old fashioned way right?
Speaker 1: Plumb?
Speaker 3: Well, how about this? Where's the where's the water around here? Oh?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Where everything breaks to the water, Everything breaks to the wash and they break the ocean everything breaks to Why do when you're in Palm Springs? Why do they say everything breaks towards Indio.
Speaker 1: Because there's a gigantic lake there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Oh it's.
Speaker 1: Uh called the Pacific Ocean.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, well it was just called the Gulf of Mexico one time. It then became the Salt and Sea at some point a million years ago Uh used to be a great fishing place for cravina for people that are into sport fishing, not not so much as salt water fish. So is it so sort of a landlocked sea. But that's a body of water. So guess what when as time over history water receded, it was going towards the Gulf of Mexico. It stopped at some point because that was a little lower point. So things go that way. That's why they say Indio, which is an entirely correct, but that's why they're saying India.
Speaker 1: But yeah, and I don't always buy when when they when they you know, the starter tells you, okay, everything breaks towards that mountaintop over there, and it's.
Speaker 3: Like away from that mountain top.
Speaker 1: Well, no, they'll tell you it breaks towards the mountains.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, there's courses of course they'll do.
Speaker 1: It's like, yeah, I'll look at each well.
Speaker 3: And that was okay, And why is that so from historically? We you know, in the old days, they kind of said, okay, we're going to do a routing around this golf course. We're gonna build a golf course, and we're going to move the least amount of dirt to make save the most amount of money and the and the technology. I mean, you know, you go over and play a course like Mona kay uh uh or which was built Robert I think it's a Robert Trent Jones facility built in the twenties, and you go, wow, what a golf course, right, And and you know, you look at these pictures and they were moving it with horses and and and you know they had donkeys and horses with these things attached to the back and that's how they move the dirt around. So so we're gonna let gravity do its own thing here. We're gonna work within that, you know, really and truthfully, you know, the quality of the golf course is almost has a good relationship the quality of ground that God gave you to build it. But uh and and usually the golf course architects objective is not to ruin that, you know. But but but still, the the old concept of moving designing greens is what are we working with gravity already here? Right? So? And and then also how do we speed up play and make golf a easier game to play? We slant the greens from back to front. So there's another little trick right. So in the old days, howard greens built, they were off and often built from back to sloping from back to front, because we don't want the green balls to run over the green. We're gonna run up the green and stop right. So so that's that was the old way. Water gravity, What did God give us to deal with here? What was the national landscape? What was all that stuff? So that was the simple way. Then came along the evolution of higher technology of machinery being moved around the world to build golf courses, the the the advanced technology of you know, plotting golf courses using all sorts of technology out there, and so they could kind of defy you know, you could go to Lott's Berry Farm when I was a kid, would you know, show you am I uphill or am I downhill? Here? Right? And you'd say, well, I'm uphill. Now the car's going the other way or whatever, water's going the other way. So now the trick was, and I started playing golf a lot in the seventies and eighties. You go around the golf course and they'd have these little drains around the golf course, around the sides of the green. You go, where's that drain over there. So not all greens. They might be sloping up in the front, but in the back they might slope away from you. So now it's a little more difficult to read a green. Right, So what I mentioned is a key word there is slope and I mentioned some other words of gravity. Right, So where is this ball pulling? What is a ball doing on the green? It's rolling from one point to another in time? And how much time does it take? That's the ultimate question. How much time does it take? And at what slope is it? There's going to be a slope involved, and there's gonna be amount of time and that time is usually friction, which is slope, and maybe the other ingredient here. What's the speed of the green? How does it roll? People talk about stimp, which I'm not sure if most people could actually tell you what a stimp meter is, but it's out there, right, And that's a good way that the USGA will determine speed. If green stimp really is just a level with a ball attached to it. They raise it up at a certain height. Then when the ball rolls off, how far does it roll on a level surface?
Speaker 1: So, and I've told you my own personal stamp meter, right, how I do this?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Okay? So, and I think it was in Zen Golf from doctor Joseph parent. What I do is, I'll take three balls. I'll go to the practice putting green, and the first three strokes I take, I don't look at any hole, I don't look at anything. I have three balls right in front of me, and I'll just take my normal swing. And generally, if all goes well, i'll take the normal swing. All three of those balls will be very close to one another, if not touching one another. I'll walk that off, okay, and then I'll know, okay, that stroke on this course, that's that's four steps, okay, that's your stint for the good. That's my step for the day, so I know what its.
Speaker 3: Somehow we did and then a level lie by the way fairly.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm looking for the level lie. And then sometimes it'll be six steps. Okay, So this green is a little bit faster than I'm used to. Right, So, my own personal STEMP met without having to ask anybody, it makes no sense to me.
Speaker 3: And I would fool around with that a little bit because keep in mind that almost all greens aren't level right right, So we're usually and so this is where I'm going to get back to the green reading again, which is, you know, there's two theories out there. There's there's the aim point and there is the vector and and uh and both involved this these equations of time and speed and ball travel over green which involves slope and friction which is the speed of the green the stint reading. And so what what I found I found vector, which I showed with you, is that they kind of divide it up into slow, medium, fast, and super fast, the quality of the greens, the speed of the green, speed of the greens, where I think game point has actual stimp readings. Now they both both systems give you a way to kind of determine what the speed of the green is. And both involve hitting a putt at ninety degrees to the to the to the actual straight line of the slope on that green. And so if if I hit, if I hit, let's say I'm five feet and I hit a putt at the center of the hole and it breaks five inches below the cup, that might be an eight stemp. If it breaks seven inches, that might be a nine stemp. If it breaks ten inches, that might be a ten stemp, whereas vector might say if it breaks only five inches, that's slow, or four inches that's slow. If it breaks five inches or six inches. And that's assuming that I don't hit a putt that goes twelve inches past the cup. So in order to do this, I've got to get the putt to aim at the center. I got to start the ball at the center of the cup and have it break only a certain amount in that five feet right, And I keep in mind, I'm on, I'm on the I'm on the ninety degree angle to the slope line of the putt. Does that make sense to you.
Speaker 1: Let's let's break that down a little bit more so it does make.
Speaker 3: Sense, okay. So just let's say let's say north is due north is my is my straight line putt.
Speaker 1: So that's the what you call the fall line.
Speaker 3: Call that the fall line. Call that the straight line.
Speaker 1: So if you were standing at that spot and just drop the ball and let it go, it would go right towards the hole.
Speaker 3: That's and assuming the hole is on my fall line, we can use the hole on the font. In this case, we don't even need a hole to find the speed. But let's say the hole is there. We put a hole there, and that's my fall line for this putt. That's getting a little ahead of this conversation. But that's fine. I'm sorry, that's okay. No, it's good. It's good. But it is part of the process. So if I'm just doing speed, I don't need a hole there. But it would just be a straight put that roll the ball rolls straight along that line. And let's say it rolls straight from north to south. Let's say that is a straight line on this putt. Then due east and due west would be ninety degrees to that fall line. So if I if I dropped a ball five feet from that fall line, that straight line, and putted it at the center of that that ninety gree angle, and it broke only four or five inches, then that might be a slow green. If it broke seven or eight inches, that might be a medium spreed green. If that broke, say ten or eleven inches, and it doesn't roll more than it gets to the hole, but it doesn't roll more than twelve inches past the cup, then there's there's some free wheeling here. But within within a distant within a way, I can arrive at what the speed of this green is or the speed of this at least this putting green, and apply that to the rest of the golf course.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, because here's the issue with that, right, You can't walk up to a green while you're playing and go I need to I need to drop a couple balls here to see what this line and then right.
Speaker 3: But but we do need we do need this information to use these mathematical algorithms which I'm going to get into here in a second, to give our green readings some sustenance. Right, what you gave is a very personal relationship which I highly admire, and I actually teach a very similar system to help a player arrive at how hard he should hit each putt. So, given what my I usually use, my feed is my barometer, and what my given stance is my comfortable stance. And if I take a putter outside of the back of my right foot and take it that same distance through, how far does my ball roll? So I know if that ball roll is fifteen feet, that's my fifteen foot putt for the day.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, a subtlety that I hadn't even thought of. That makes total sense.
Speaker 3: Okay, So that's how I help my students relate to their speed for that golf course for the day. But now we're getting into the green reading, which is an important factor because in the green reading again, we're talking about three major areas. What's the speed of my putt and what's the slope of my putt? Right? And if there's any subtle grain might be another issue to this putt, and like maybe even when again is a more remote issue. But these are the issues that I'm going to deal with in hitting my putt right speed right again, We're gonna talk about am am I efficiently aiming? Am I efficiently making a ball to roll end over end two feet? And straights? AM efficiently aiming? Now? How do I read the green? So how do I read the green? Is as I decide what the what the speed of this green is? Slow? Medium, or fast or super fast? And then I look at my little chart which I have. But what I did for you is I broke it down in which I do for all my beginning students, that even my advanced students, I give them the most basic principle. We assume that all greens are two degrees two degrees of slow of slope, Okay, which quite frankly is probably true, okay, on an average, but.
Speaker 1: What and then and so wait to the whole two degrees around two degrees? Yes, I know when you have multi level greens.
Speaker 3: Right, I'm looking at the hole. I'm standing around the cup, because keep in mind, the last ten feet of my cup are the most important. Last ten feet of my putt are the most important aspects, or five feet in my putt if anyway, Yeah, as the ball slows down, that's when gravity has its bigger effect. So when I got a foot pot, the first fifteen or twenty feet of that are important, but not as a massively important to the to the slope. The most important areas that sloping area around the whole. Right, So for the intents and purposes I do did with you this day was I said, we're going to assume today that every put you hit today has a two degree slope to it, not two degrees two percent. So we're gonna assume that everything's two percent. And if I do that on a medium speed green, then for every foot that I put, there's going to be one inch of break up to about twenty five feet.
Speaker 1: Repeat it.
Speaker 3: If I assume that there's two percent slope on this putt. On every putt that I hit, one inch of break equals one foot of putt. So if I have a twenty foot put depending on what where, and depending on my relationship to that fall line or that straight line, then I'm going to have twenty inches of an aim point differential. So what that means is I place my aim point twenty inches above the hole, and then I I find that I put my my aim and maybe I shouldn't be using aim point but target, my aim target, my my my point of reference, my definition destination. I set that twenty inches above the hole from a twenty foot putt, and then I'm wherever I move around that cup within twenty feet, that's going to be my constant aiming on my aiming target. Right, So every put I'm going to hit it straight.
Speaker 1: To that spot, to that spot.
Speaker 3: Let gravity take it. If I have a ten foot putt, it's ten inches. Now if the green is fast rather than medium. I have a chart that will show you what that actual point of reference might be that's on that fall line, and it's always going to be above the hole, by the way, right, So that point never changes in space. It always stays above the hole.
Speaker 1: Can I have the chart?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Is it online?
Speaker 3: No? Come see John Grund or come see a vector green reading instructor near you. There are many out there.
Speaker 1: So there's no PDF or something that's the chart that we can.
Speaker 3: Not right now online they asked. They asked you to go to see a aime point specialist. I'm a vectory green reading specialist to get this. You and I might have a relationship with this could be worked out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I don't want to be I don't. I would love to get You've already.
Speaker 3: Done a thirty minute session and we talked about it briefly. But get into the chart.
Speaker 1: No, no, we didn't. But but just that information alone about the one inch per one foot, Yeah, it was a huge help for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, because because here's what I did for you in that thirty minutes, and let's sum this up real briefly. Is I established for you the four basic areas that every good putter does effectively. One, they establish the proper speed for in time that they want the ball to roll. This is important to think about speed and time because if I have a ball below the hole that's twenty feet and the ball that's above the hole twenty feet and we both putt at the same time. Whose ball gets to the hole first.
Speaker 1: Ball below the ball and ball above the hole at twenty feet I would And if they both get to the hole, yes, I would say the guy going uphill because he has to hit it harder.
Speaker 3: Absolutely correct. You're one out of a hundred that will say that. But that's absolutely true.
Speaker 1: So you think the tragical thing is to go, oh, well, one going downhill, because it's right.
Speaker 3: So keep in mind, and these algorithms are based upon the time at which the ball travels.
Speaker 1: And anybody ever think about, oh, that took seven seconds.
Speaker 3: All great putters do, really, but they do it in their brain.
Speaker 1: They don't. It's not conscious. It's just that.
Speaker 3: They It's like I, you know, I once gave a lesson putting lesson to Jerry West.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I was the assistant golf coach at UCLA, which it required me being assistant pro at Beller Country Club, and so he he had we'd played once or twice before, and he knew that I was a pretty good putter. And by the way, he was a very good player, especially in his younger days, and rapidly took to golf after finishing his professional basketball career as a player full time, which is a footnote. Let me just because I hung around a lot of Laker guys in those days, and nobody wanted to play Jerry West at the age of fifteen Horse. I don't care who you were. I don't care if you were Magic Johnson. You just didn't play Jerry West at Horse. He'd beat you.
Speaker 1: Well he was, mister, he was.
Speaker 3: He was also a very good golfer and a really good putter, but he was struggling with some putty for some reason. So he comes out to see me for a putty lesson, and I'm thinking, I'm panicked. What am I going to call Jerry West for pudding? I mean, this guy, you know, he's rock solid, you know. And so I got thinking about it, and I'm standing there watching this putting stroke and I'm going, well, that that's that's perfect, that's a great putty stroke. Yeah. But if they're not going in, I said, well, okay, it's golf. Yeah. Well I wanted to say that, but that's not that's not what you well, that's why chill anybody, you know, they're they're expecting some help here. So I'm watching him, and I said, well, mister.
Speaker 1: West, what did you really call him?
Speaker 3: Mister West? Yeah? Well yeah, I said, mister West, what do you what do you see? Uh? What do you what's going on here? And he goes, well, I don't know, And well, of course he has no idea. One day I was sitting in his backyard and at a barbecue, and he was casually shooting baskets one handed while he was flipping burgers, and he switched about twenty in a row from a baseline jumper that was slightly behind the basket, and and and nobody in the family said a darn thing like that could actually happen. He's like, that was just auto that was an autopilot all the time, right. And so I know that what he does is part of his innate talent to relate to his target right a period of time, and and so I asked him, so I'm trying to think, how is he relating to the target or what's going on? What's going on? So I finally said, well, what do you see when you shoot a basket? And he goes, well, you know, I I sometimes I get a look at the basket. I just kind of know where it is. I get a feel for it. I I just you know, and and you know, maybe I'm looking, maybe I'm not. Somebody's saying, I go, well, what do you see when you're making this plot? He goes, well, I don't know. I said, well, let's pick out a specific let's see this ball roll. I said, can you see the ball that? Can you see the dimples of the ball as they're rolling into the hole. Now that's a tall order. I wouldn't ask normally, guys, but I'm guessing Jerry West's vision is probably pretty darn good.
Speaker 1: He can probably count the dimples.
Speaker 3: It's all the revolutions, right, So I'm thinking, so I'm thinking, you know, this is good. I got to get him to so suddenly going okay, let's do that cur plunk KerPlunk ker plunk ker plunk about can you make ten in a row? And our lesson was done and he said, thanks, John, that's great, And I never really you know, that was it. So the question was is visually he I needed to see him in real time what was going on between him and the target. So what good putters do is they see the ball in real time rolling towards their target. And it's a challenge. It's a challenge, right, right, that's a challenge. So that's that's a that's a massive So the speed is is everything right and and be relating to that speed and real time is part of this bigger equation in the speed of putting. Wow, right, I mean it is and so how we do that? You know, and and it takes you know, if you play a good round of golf. I know, for me, I'm pretty emotionally drained after it, you know, especially if it's around that has a has a gravity to it of some sort, you know, in a tournament of some sort, in the last round maybe or qualifying or something.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean that's a whole nother discussion. But that's why that's what makes Sundays, especially a major so difficult, right because it's just mentally exhausting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because it's mentally exhausting because they need to they need to. It's very the result is so more the lack of result is such more more tangible, and the need to stay in the moment becomes much more challenging.
Speaker 1: Right Well, listen, uh, I'm testimony. It works for me.
Speaker 3: Okay, good, it definitely works for me. I mean, it's fun, and then you know, practicing this way and then my little system is fun because it gives me. And you'll see guys. If you go to tour events, you'll see guys and women and they all use little tools now to practice with. Whether it's my string above the ball, the string above the ball, or or a ruler, or or a chalk line or some other tool. They're using different tools. Tiger has his gate droll with two t's. We're all building better relationships to the target. That's what people do. That's what golf pros do. They better. They're building better relationship with the target. And it's all involved with speed, how they're aiming the ball, getting the ball to roll where they wanted to go, and reading the green. And that's really what STAG is all about. And when you get involved in those four areas, you will become a better putter. And if I give you the tools to do that, then I feel like I've accomplished something as a coach and a teacher.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because I know someone who was trained in aim point and just fell in love with it, thought it was awesome, and then a few months later I was gonna be interviewing the guy from am Point Sweeney and I called him, I said, you did aim point right.
Speaker 3: Are you still doing it?
Speaker 1: And he goes, not so much. It was too much work to do it on every putt and taking out the chart and blah blah blah. Yeah, but this is the kind of thing that even with STAG or vector or whatever we're gonna call this, you don't just figure it out once and you're done. You really have to work on this for a while. I mean, you have to always work on it.
Speaker 3: You have to always work on it. And that's why I develop STAG is you know, repetition, you know is at the core of most success stories, you know, I mean, it just.
Speaker 1: Is so practice practice, right.
Speaker 3: It gets your ten thousand hour Malcolm, glad, we'll get your ten thousand hours and whatever. We can all go down those lists and and so by using this system and including the green reading in with it, you're always involving yourself in an aspect of what successful people do that putt well. And and uh, that's that's a challenge, and it's it's it's part of the game. And if you neglect it, if you know, if you if you want to go ostrich on it and put your head in the sand and say it doesn't exist. Then you're going to be one of those people that don't get to play golf to your best ability. And and and and you know it's interesting if you look at the demographics of golfers. Guess what we're We're getting a little bit older. Yes we are okay, and and uh, I wish we had more kids and more women come into the game. But we're struggling there and we need to do a better job of it. Of course as golf perfesstionals and friends that play golf, getting people involved in the game. But you know what, we may not be able to hit the ball as far. But as a putter, and I will say this that good putters are physically fit. And there is a reason why it takes why Tiger Woods makes twelve footers on the seventy first hole to win major championships because he's better fit. So one of the tough things to do is when you're really excited and you're really pumped up, is to stay still. And so being core fit is a good thing. But anybody can get involved in these four areas, fit or not fit and become a better putter. And like I said earlier in this program, the USGA tells you right up front, it's fifty percent of the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So and really, you know, there's a there's an old saying a multipude, a multitude of sins can be made up for with a ten foot made putt, right. I mean, you know, you can do a lot of things between that tea and green, but if you make a ten or fifteen footer, all's forgiven, right, and you move on to the next hole. And quite frankly, and I I tell some of my competitive kids that that, you know, that par save or bogie save emotionally is maybe more important than that three foot birdy put in a par five because a lot of times you struggle on a hole and it becomes not a hole, It just becomes an odyssey. It becomes Oh, I hit it in the crud and I yacked it out and I got it up in front of the green. I got this tough pitch shot and I, oh, it was so tough, and I got it up there fifteen feet and I made the putt.
Speaker 4: Ah, you know, it's like pretty sure, was you go ahead? I'm sorry that moment, that moment like, oh, now I can go to the and I got all this burden lifted off me, and I go to the next hole and I rip one down the center of the fairway, and man, we're off and running again.
Speaker 1: You know, Yeah, I was saying, I think I'm fairly certain it was you that told me that hitting sinking a fifteen foot putt, twenty foot putt or longer is much more exciting the hitting ball in the fairway or hitting it farther than you've ever hit it. I mean, that's exciting, that's fun, but it's still there's nothing like that.
Speaker 3: It's pretty such that goes. I mean, you know, the distance isn't you know, it's a little bit of a longer discussion, but distance is kind of a god given talent. I'm not sure it's like teaching somebody to run a nine to one hundred. You either can run and run on in the nines at some point in your life because you or you can't. It's like slam dunk, and even just slam dunk. It's you know, you don't just wake up of monks. Oh I'm gonna go slam dunk. It's kind of a genetic thing. Now you can maximize it and be more efficient and get all more efficient. Hit a little bit f but thirty foot putt. I can get somebody's never hit a thirty foot put before and get him to make a thirty footer. And there's the exciting thing for everybody out there listening. You know, you can learn to be a better putter. You can. I mean, it's a learnable behavior, interesting behavior, right, it's a learnable behavior, and and and it it is a behavior, and it requires some discipline, It requires some functional behavior patterns to do it consistently good, because we can all do it randomly good right to a certain extent. But to do it consistently well takes what I think some behavior learning process or processes or whatever you want to call it, if that's the right word. But it does. And that's that's I find fun. And I've spent all life, you know, sort of a forty eight years of golf now, a lot of time chasing that elusiveness and trying to make it less elusive.
Speaker 1: Well, I had so many notes about things I wanted to talk to you about on this recording session. But luckily you live close enough that we can do this again, okay, because I wanted to talk about, you know, with your experience on the tour, playing professionally, working with pros, talk about the anchored putter situation and all the controversy that's going on there and how that impacts the average golfer. Oh yeah, and then get into the bifurcation conversation or even you know, Lead Jansen being d q'ed this past the other day for wearing metal spot. I mean, there's so many different things right now that are like, really, is that is it that important? You know to go over the bell. We'll do that another time, but I do before we finish, there was something you said before we started recording that I want to get you to repeat because it's so critically important to every golfer to know this. Because you said, what there are three things that it takes to be a better golfer, and you just summed it up so easily, and I think this should be our closing comment.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, the first thing is get the ball in the fairway, and the next thing is has become more efficient at chipping and become more efficient at putting, and and those are three very manageable areas I mean they don't require you know, you know what the you know what the trouble is a little bit is that those things don't sell equipment, equipment, and so we're bombarded. They don't sell magazines really, I mean they do kind of, but do I really you know, yeah, I'll look at you know, it's become a little more interesting now because the pros have made it so so relevant to their success. You know, you've got putting coaches now, You've got short game coaches now, and so these guys are you know, and they and they and you know, but you know, really, do I need a new wedge or do I need twenty extra yards off the team?
Speaker 1: I got a call from a friend of mine yesterday. His wife golf me, and she goes. He said, he wants a new driver and and so I'm calling to get a recommendation from you. And I said, you know, you don't want to hear this from me, but a driver is not what he needs, right, Yeah, that's not going to change his game that much.
Speaker 3: You know, I'll sum this up. Years ago, I had the opportunity to spend a little bit of time with Phil Rodgers, who's a notable golf instructor, short game man, and was a great player in his own right, one on the PGA tour. I think had an opportunity once to win the British Open and didn't, might have won a US amateur, competed well as an amateur, was a friend and mutual respected golfer by Jack Nicholas, and actually spent some time in Jack's later career helping him with a short game, and I think might have been partially responsible for his eighty six Masters win. But Phil was a disciple of Paul Running, a man who I had an opportunity to spend a lot of time with later. But before this happened, I was working one summer at a driving range in San Diego at an old place called Stardust, which I think is called Riverwalk and twenty seven holes in the Heartland, and it was Scott Simpson's hangout. It was a bunch of wonderful golfers. Had spent a lot of time there in my day with Scott Simpson. And there's a plthora of great players, most of which your viewers may not have heard of, but they were very good at their own right. Spend a lot of time at start ups. Phil Rodgers was one of those players, and he taught there. And I had a very lowly job of picking up range balls on the driving range. I say lonely because it's usually late at night or early in the morning. But I would watch Phil and he had a program in those days where as a coach, he would charge you a certain fee for certain amount of months and help you improve your game. And I rarely saw him on the driving range. And yet these guys, mostly men, were lined up to write them a check to get better at golf. And he said, I'll get you better, and if I don't, you get yours a proportion of your money back, right, And so guys would sign up all day long. And this is you know, in the late seventies, guys going down there, spending good money with this gentleman to do this. So I asked them one day, I said, mister Rogers, got to ask you, what's the secret of your success? I mean, how do you get these guys get better at golf? And he said, John, It's pretty simple, he said, I reduced the amount of spin off the tee. So I usually give them a more lofted club get I get the ball in the fairway rule number one, less side spin. I said, once I get him near the green, I get them not to chili dip, I get them hit them. I get them to hit the ball first and make better contact with their short game and get the ball going at their target more effectively. That said, I get them out of bunkers. I get them get the ball, get them get the ball elevated, and have a little bit of control over it what they're doing. So I improve their wedge game around the green, and I help them not to hit the three putt, and and I increase their five footer their makes of their five footers. So I get them to hit it more solid around the short game area with the intention of where the ball wants to go, and I get the ball on the fairway. And and really, what what's itering about that is if you look at practice facilities around the country for the average player, they're just not designed to do that. And no one's really selling that because how does that sell?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: You know? I mean it does a little bit if success sells. Yeah, yeah, if you go to Dave Pels. But but but you know, and you spend some time, maybe you spend some time with me and and you see the light. But you've got to buy into it. You've got to buy into that concept, you know. And so I just asked your listeners to how many just start tickets from? How many fairways did I hit this week? And how many how many chips did I hit from inside of sixty yards got on the green and within a makeable putt distance? And then how many puts did I actually have for each round? So just keep my stats inside of eighty yards and how many fair I hit forget about all that other stuff, you know, for the average golfer, that I get it, that I get it near the pin with a makeable putt for eighty yards a makeable but I mean thirty favorite it's an uphill thirty foot is it makeable? You know? And and and then how many putts did I have? And you will start to see, gosh, out of my hundred shots, fifty sex sixty, we're with a driver, wedge or a putter. Amazing, right, And so where do I spend sixty percent of my time practicing? It's not getting ten more extra yards, It just isn't so. And you'll see guys in the PGA tour they're working on that roller and they're working on that putter, they're working on their wedge game, and it's flawless. When you it's it's pure art. When Tom Pernice is a college teammate of mine who's had a late career in golf, and I had I've had an opportunity to spend some time around in recent years and and play with them once or twice, and it's And Corey Pavin was another teammate of mine, and to watch them do what they do with a edgena potter is just spectacular. It's it's it's unbelievable. So you know, maybe most people don't view it the way I do. But to take a bad lie around the green and make it work somehow, a challenging lie and make it when I mean, we saw this tiger shot last year from Mirfield. He didn't play so well this year, but last year he made that shot from behind the green. You go, how did he do that? Well? He does that in practice a lot. We may not think he does, but he does. You know, the viewers may understand that, but he does. So it takes practice, takes a little bit of knowledge, some application, and you can get better