Speaker 1: You'll go be beer.
Speaker 2: It's the Internet. You're busy. Let's do this for February twenty eighth, twenty twenty five. For the next hour or so, let me help you sort through the world of gaming on Game Mess Mornings Live with Me Jeff Grub. Today, Monster Hunter Wilds is off to a roaring start, despite numerous complaints about its performance on PC. But first, please join me and welcoming today's co host to Gay Mess Mornings.
Speaker 1: It's lex a lot of everybody, LEXI, how are you doing?
Speaker 3: Not too bad? Grub?
Speaker 4: This being an hour later is really fucking with me. It's now five pm for me, and yeah, so I'm like, I'm finishing up for the day and here I am talking with you chuckleheads like it's the fucking morning.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 4: So I'm pretty sure last week Tom mentioned that that he wanted you to try to get Jordan on.
Speaker 1: I didn't even try.
Speaker 4: I wanted to tell the entire giant Barmb audience Jordan Middler will not appear on this podcast until he takes me on one on one at what's the name of the wrestling event.
Speaker 1: You go, the let's see fast Lane.
Speaker 4: At w w E Fast Lane, get fucked. Middler, You're not You're you're not even Middler.
Speaker 3: You're minor.
Speaker 4: Get get fucked, and I'm major. And if you divide that by two, then you I don't know the rest of it.
Speaker 2: No, that was you're cutting a promo. It works, that's uh, that's perfect. Yeah, Jordan Midler a coward and we all know it. Lexie, how are you doing otherwise?
Speaker 3: I'm doing pretty okay.
Speaker 4: I just got back from visiting grandparents today, so that was like done. I've been trying to digitize all family tapes, which boy analog signals, they're wonderful to work with Powell version of analog signals even more.
Speaker 2: I didn't think about that. That's that's got to be a fun challenge. I don't blame analog. I blame digital. I think digital did not respect analog enough. And uh and it's so I put full, full blame on that side of the equation there. But yeah, it's you know, I've been plugging in sixty four into various things recently and that's been, uh, that's.
Speaker 1: Been wilde Like oh, what makes the start and what doesn't.
Speaker 4: The nice thing of this is like, yeah, I'm like recording all this like family footage or whatever from camcorders. But actually what I'm doing is getting a setup for like recording my PS two.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm actually doing.
Speaker 2: You once you're done with the VCR, you could just plug in the PS two and you're good to go.
Speaker 1: There. Yeah, that's definitely.
Speaker 2: I've been spend a lot more time thinking about plugging in old consoles and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: I don't want to. I'm not going to become a collector.
Speaker 2: I like like Dan Record's basement, but I don't need my basement to be filled with games. I just want the old consoles to have like the ever drive on it and stuff.
Speaker 1: And that's That's been a fun process getting off.
Speaker 4: I wish I was the same way. But I'm looking at an Amazon basket with Babylon's.
Speaker 3: Falling it right now, and I'm like, I should own that.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, owning games for a bit, I like a lot. I do have multiple copies of Balance Wonderworld, and I don't know who to blame for.
Speaker 1: You're welcome, you'll well, yep, then I do know who to blame. Yeah, one of them, Oh yeah, at least one. I think I might have. I might have bought the other one. I don't know. I'm trying to think, did you give me this switch one too? At some point?
Speaker 4: Yes, I gave you the switch one at Summer Games first, you know, so you can play it on the go.
Speaker 2: And I must have bought the Xbox one myself. They're both up there on the wall. I should get that back in frame.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you playing anything big right now.
Speaker 4: I had just reviewed Like a Dragon Pilot Yakuza in Hawaii, which I super liked. I reviewed it the Game of Guides, gave it eighty eighth and guessed on the entail end of that stream. I know you've been enjoying that game. It's just a real good time. I put like fifty hours into it. Round a platinumingsh and yeah, it's kind of It's kind of what I needed. I'll take one of these a year. If they want to keep doing one of these a year, I'll play through one of these a year. And I just in solved Monster Hunter. Got a code just today, so I'm going to play that this evening. I'm playing a thing that's embargoed but I think is fucking awesome. And I also played a bunch of Ninja five oh, yesterday. You find that it's good. It's a yeah, it's not like a fancy port or anything. There's a bit of like artwork and you know, small things like that, but like it's very solid. It's like a step down from the Castlevania collections and stuff like that when it comes to like the stuff that has in it. But it has a nice rewind feature, It has trophy support and achievements and everything. And it has both Ninja five oh and Ninja cop Honish, so both regions. And yeah, that game is fun. Of shit, that game is still really fun.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been a long time hitting Jim on the game Boy advance to the point where the physical copies that you know, they didn't print a ton of those very expensive, so you know, north of one hundred dollars I think a lot of time. So yeah, being able to just buy this game for twenty five bucks pretty good deal. All right, let's explain what we do here most weekdays, I Jeff Grub, will help piece your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you are watching live on Twitch welcome. You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for game Mes Mornings, or find the rsso giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later with chapters and timestamps on YouTube.
Speaker 1: Hello YouTube.
Speaker 2: All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the morning mess with Monster Hunter Wilde surpasses one point three million concurrent players on Steam. This is from Ben Lyons at Game Reactor. It looks like we'll be hearing about Montar hundred wilds smashing some crazy sales milestones in the coming hours or perhaps at the latest days. We say this because on Steam alone, the game almost just surpassed one million concurrent players.
Speaker 1: This is the earlier version of the story. They will update it here at the end.
Speaker 2: And this is all ahead of its opening weekend, which will no doubt see this peak rise and rise and rise. That's usually how it works with these games. They hit their peak in the first weekend a.
Speaker 1: Lot of times.
Speaker 2: Although this is a you know, a game that could continue to grow over the next couple of weeks as word of mouth spreads, although maybe that won't be so positive.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about that as well.
Speaker 2: The crazy thing about this number is it's all but affirms that a million copies of the game have been shifted on PC alone. So usually with like you know, when you look at the concurrent numbers, and so as a reminder, that is people playing the game at the same time right now online on Steam. That's that's where we get these numbers from. Usually it's probably safe to assume that it's like usually sold about double that, right, because there's gonna be people in that and the Awake regions, places in the world where it's daylight, where people are still playing games that aren't playing the game in that moment.
Speaker 1: And then there's the whole other half of the world.
Speaker 2: That might be sleeping in that moment who also probably have bought quite a few copies of that game. So yeah, this is probably racing to two three million copies sold on Steam instantly. That is really really impressive. This franchise has officially broken through, right, I Mean, I've been huge for a long time, but it feels like it is caught on in a major way with this release.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'd be super curious to see these numbers compared to World and Ice Born and to see like how big those were on seam when they first launched. I know they launched later on Seam and that was like a big problem that those games came out later on Steam than on consoles. But yeah, without even factoring in console sales, which like in regions like Japan, a lot of these sales are going to be on PS fives set of on PC. Yeah, that's a it's a wild number.
Speaker 3: It's huge. It's like games.
Speaker 4: Just don't sell like that at the moment for the most part, Like even games that sell well don't sell that well unless they're Call of Duty right now.
Speaker 2: Yep, it's a yeah, one point three million concurrence on Steam.
Speaker 1: One million, one million, three.
Speaker 2: Hundred and seven and seventy six is what it hit earlier today, kind of yes, earlier today, which makes it the sixth most concurrently played game at one time ever on Steam already. And again it's going to probably have more people playing this weekend than this, so, I.
Speaker 4: Mean, it puts it right up there with Blackmith Wukong. And when you consider what a cultural moment that was for the most populous country on the planet, like the cultural penetration worldwide for this is really impressive, and so yeah, it's it's super interesting.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: I mean you mentioned it releasing on Steam at the same time as the consoles obviously helped, but you wouldn't expect like the jump from World. Sambo Nis and Chat reminds us that World had an all time peak Cup three hundred and thirty thousand, and then Rise had an all time peak Cup two hundred and thirty one thousand US.
Speaker 1: So yeah, you could see already that it's like.
Speaker 2: Grown significantly more than three more than tripled, you know, honestly kind of quadrupled. So yeah, that this is the game catching on, breaking through finding that massive wide appeal audience, and you know, it's what Capcom wanted to do with this game. So Mission accomplished in a lot of ways. Now there is the other half of this, at least on on Steam on PC, and that is while the numbers for Concurrent players off the charts, the reviews on Steam, the user reviews much more middling. They are I think it's you know, below fifty percent positive reviews or something like that, in the forty percent range for you know, thumbs up or thumbs down. The majority of giving it a thumbs down because of performance problems.
Speaker 1: It is. I watched a little bit of the Digital.
Speaker 2: Foundry thing and it's like, if you have a GPU with eight gigabytes of RAM, and Nvidia still loves selling GPUs with only eight gigabytes of v RAM, this game is really rough to the point where you have to turn textures down to their lowest and this is a game where textures they call it medium, but the medium texture option.
Speaker 1: It makes the game look really bad.
Speaker 2: And then even then you're still going to get quite a bit of stuttering, and so it they like just the the across the board recommendation in this moment is don't buy this game on PC unless you.
Speaker 1: Can route force your way to performance.
Speaker 2: That is not hurting the game in this moment, LEXI, do you think that is something that could slow it down?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's definitely like Team of Views Last Forever, and that's something that a lot of smaller developers have been finding for a long time.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: I think No Man's Sky they basically like threw a party in the office when they ticked over to from mixed to mostly positive or whatever and then took.
Speaker 1: Eight years, nine years or something. Crazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So yeah, like it's it is something that lingers around the game, and it's a hard number to change because how many people go back and change a review after if things get fixed. That is to say, like if Capcom do fix it. I know they put in a bunch of work to Dragonsagma two and that runs a fair bit better now both on like base hardware, PS five pro and PC.
Speaker 3: So hopefully they do support.
Speaker 4: It, and like you imagine that when it comes to just good will in the community, they kind of have to. Now that's so much of their playerbase is there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I think they will make improvements over time, but you get the sense that they were using some crutches on PC. That the fact that it starts with a dialogue box suggesting that you turn on in Nvidia DLSS frame generation it was worrisome to the guys over at Digital Foundry, and it's something I haven't seen in a game before.
Speaker 1: That is usually an option that is unchecked by.
Speaker 2: Default, and you go in there turn it on if you have the performance to plug those frame generation frames on top of decent performance. The trouble is if you have stuttering and performance that maybe drops to the thirty forty frames per second. Range frame generation basically doesn't function the way you need it to get a good, good looking game. So it was weird that they're like, no, just turn this on. This is what we expect you to do, so just take it and run. It's a sign that maybe they are hoping they can put a band aid on there with brute force methods and it's okay. You definitely came in with it came in hot, at least for the PC version. Now PlayStation five, Xbox haven't heard similar complaints. Seems like it's running pretty well on those platforms. Definitely PlayStation.
Speaker 4: It is one of those things where like, this is a genuinely big issue that probably just doesn't crop up in a lot of reviews because you think the people who are asking for a PC code when Monster Hunter comes in, they have a good PC. They have looked at what that game is like and they're like, yeah, no, I'd rather play this on PC than on my console.
Speaker 3: So it's just something that probably hasn't.
Speaker 4: Come up in a lot of reviews up until it gets in the hands of people who have more mid end PCs and this is their only way to play games. This is the only platform to play games on, and then it's a huge problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's an issue. There's also you know, we'll get back to the performance here in a second, because Capcom Dead respond to that, but let's kind of go through some of the other criticisms here. They did.
Speaker 2: They did the kind of an all nasty trick, that one that I'm not a fan of and I have always really despised when publishers do this move during the review period. There was no clean of this thing that has now already reared its head now that the game is live, to change your to change your appearance, you get like one free time to change your character's appearance in certain ways, like I think you can like change your hair at any time for free. But if you want to go in there and make more drastic changes, it is you quickly get into a micro transaction store and you have to pay some money, and it's oh, okay, wait, where where did this come from? And you know, you know, I get why they don't have these stores sometimes running when when it's in a review period, I suppose, but it's like that that is part of the game. It should be there for reviewers to assess and decide how it affects things, and so to turn it on once it's live. I very much disliked that, but I'd like that that's a Capcom move recently.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's the kind of thing that like, That's why review guides are there. Review guides are there to let you know about things that may not be fully working purely because it's a not out to the public version of the game, or you know, you don't have all the additional information that you have once a game is publicly available, and that stuff that should be upfront and told to the viewers. And it's super shitty that it's not. Like I've only found out about that today browsing through Blue Sky, and I was like, man, that sucks, because tonight I kind of just wanted to load up and play a bit of the game and check it out and then go back and change my character later. But now I'm going to be like, oh, I have to get my character fucking right. So I'm going to be in there for fucking two hours making sure my.
Speaker 3: Character looks right.
Speaker 4: And it's also worth noting that, like pretty much all the reviewers that do get these games get the Deluxe edition, which have made.
Speaker 1: And maybe that's what happened here. Yeah, good point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which have extra cosmetics and things like that, and so you're kind of like you're going into it with the mindset are like, oh, this game like has a bunch of cosmetics from the go, and even though you know maybe a third of them or half half of them were stuff that you got because you got the deluxe version, and you know, you just don't pay that much attention to each and every cosmetic item that came in the version of the game that pure sent to you, and you just stop playing the games for all review. So yeah, I think that's like super shitty and fucking don't do that.
Speaker 1: Yep. Yeah, it's it's it's annoying. It's a definitely a black mark on the way Capcom is operated. Recently.
Speaker 2: They have done similar sort of micro transactions in their games a lot recently. I think people pointing out in chat worlds had similar stuff. Dragon's Dogma two had similar micro transactions.
Speaker 4: So I mean, like, even weirdly enough, the Resident Evil games, you look at their staw pages, they are shock full of bullshit and you look at it and you're like, I don't want any of this because it ruins the balancing of the game, Like why would I ever want to engage with any of this stuff?
Speaker 2: And maybe there's something to be said for the reason people don't complain is a lot of the stuff is easy to ignore. But being able to change the way your character like just looks at a base level charging for that feels weird.
Speaker 4: Especially when like when such a big point to this game was then being like yeah, was then being like, oh, transmog is something that we've worked with from the beginning, and we want you to be able to customize your character and look how you want to look, and then to take the maybe most personalized part of that and like coordinate off as something that you may have to pay extra for if you want to go in deep and sucks. I remember I hadn't played Destiny to four years, but they reintroduced the option to read to change your character, and like, I put in three thousand hours into Destiny one, Like I loved my character, but when I went back to play it, every time I went back to play it, I was like, Oh, it's a man.
Speaker 3: That's not cool.
Speaker 4: And then I went back in and they were like, oh, yeah, you can just change your character's holders now and you can change your agenda and you can change whatever. And I was like, oh, it's nice. This is changed literally nothing for anyone else if they don't want it to. But this is a nice addition, and it's something that I can go back to change my character. And now suddenly I feel way more inclined to play Destiny to again because there's one less thing that I look at when I load up, and I'm like, hmm, And that's like, ultimately, what all these things are is whether it's a thing that like is personal in my case, or if it's a microtransaction that are like these tiny hang ups. And you'd think that those are the tiny hang ups that game developers and the publishers are trying to like stay away from right now because it's so hard to people to even get in the door and play their games. And like news stories like this, we've seen them snowball out of proportion because people take them at their worst and read way too much into them. So it's a weird thing that they've kind of allowed to slip by.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and uh, you know, Capcom has mostly gotten away with it the most part, and people point out, like there was definitely references to this is the way it would work in the beta and during the review period. It's just God, I've read a couple of reviews and no one mentioned anything like this, And I guess it's easy to if you don't interact with this stuff, or you've got the character you wanted to when you start, it'd be easy to miss this sort of thing. So I could see that that's probably what happened here as well. Either way, It's like the fundamental criticism here, of course, is this is a weird thing to charge people for. It feels Nickel and Dimi for products that are already very expensive things to purchase.
Speaker 4: And yeah, like I went looking at that deluxe edition. It's like one hundred and thirty euro. It is expensive.
Speaker 2: Yep, absolutely all right, So back to the performance issues. Capcom has responded for the PC issues.
Speaker 1: This is from Jordan Miller at VGC.
Speaker 2: Capcom has responded to performance Jordan Midler I responded and they said, let's see here. Mons Around Wilds was released on Friday, and almost as soon as the PC version was in the public's hands, players reported issues with optimization, performance, and more. The game, which has received praise from fans. Outside of the performance issues, hits hit almost one million concurrent players.
Speaker 1: Blah blah, blah blah. Now.
Speaker 2: Capcom has responded to the issues and has provided some suggestions to fans as to how to fix their performance problems. A post on Monster Hunter Status the franchise's official support account reads, if you're experiencing experiencing any initial issues with Monster Hunter Wilds on Steam, please try try updating your graphics driver, turning off compatibility mode, and then require readjust your settings. In the linked post on the Monster Hunter support website, Capcom has suggested several steps that could fix the issues, including that driver update, adding the games folders and files to it, to the players anti virus exception list, and more. Yeah, this is uh, this is a bit much too, because it's like I get, like, Okay, these things might be able to help one or two percent, but none of these things are going to actually fix the fundamental issues.
Speaker 4: It kind of like it puts the onus on the consumer for some that you.
Speaker 2: Know, yes, and you know, I think fair enough, but like you go into the game and I think there's a reason to have some hope. They're like, Okay, look at all these graphics options these things, like it actually presents itself as very helpful, where each setting has a like a rating for how much it affects the different components on your PC. So it's like, this is affecting your CPO CPU the most, or it's kind of affecting your CPU, but it's actually affecting your GPU way more. So maybe turn that down. I kind of see if that helps. Here's something that's like just blasting your RAM. Maybe that's the issue. Because there's a RAM meter as well that you see in a lot of games, and in that Digital Foundry video he demonstrates that, like he goes to settings.
Speaker 1: That are well below the like yellow.
Speaker 2: Line, not even the red line, but the yellow line for performance for v RAM on the forty sixty, and even in that case, there is a ton of stuttering, especially when just turning the camera at the beginning of the game. And that all that is after a six minute shader compiling period when you first start up the game. So it's just like, Okay, it feels like this should be running a lot better, and I don't know if.
Speaker 4: The worst all this, Yeah, Greg Miller is going to be so insulfable about this. I can't imagine why he's gonna get people so mad about it.
Speaker 2: Yep, Yeah, they played a bunch yesterday. I'm sure they were all on PS five for the most part.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's uh, it is annoying because, yeah, I get it.
Speaker 2: This game clearly can run better, it is better optimized on PS five, although some people in chat mentioned that some people didn't weren't happy with the PS five pro version. I have not been able to keep up with that, so I don't know. Yeah, and Sean saying it's not good on PS five either, So okay, there you go. Yeah, I think this is goes back to what I was about to get to next, which is Capcom switching the Resident Evil or the RI engine reach for the Moon Engine to open world and kind of seeing a lot of what happened with Dragon's Dogma two repeated here. They just have not been able to sort of optimize this thing for the open world games they are now making with that thing. And it's a bit of a shame because the storyline of our E engine up to this point was, Hey, this thing is powerful, it's optimized, runs great. Our engine games can scale down to the switch pretty easily because it is so well optimized and a capcom knows how to use it, and then they're like, well, let's make it for open world games now, and that instantly kind of just changed everything. And you know, it comes down to what the problem seems to be is streaming in assets into RAM and that process just really crushing most processors on most devices, and like it's yeah, it's.
Speaker 4: Kind of the problem with computers as a whole, and it's something that is very easy for us to armchair criticize, like a computer program runs grash until it doesn't. Yeah, and like they we looked at the OE engine and we're like, oh, Resident Evil Village looks incredible in all of this, but like we didn't know that that was maybe the ORE engine running ninety nine.
Speaker 3: Percent flat oush.
Speaker 4: And then they push it a little bit harder and suddenly it's just like, ah, man, it really was at its limit already and we didn't realize.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's like the reality here is there are no modern engines that are just perfect at open world games where you have to stream in a lot of assets. UI five it struggles with that, and that that engine was made to be the open world engine, so uh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Danil's told me exactly.
Speaker 2: He called me his best friend said you're you're wonderful or whatever the at least said during that thing. Okay, yeah, so performance issues, but the game is popping off. Capcom will have a chance to make some improvements here. But Reside Eval nine up next rumored to be more open world because it's part of this initiative from Capcom with there engine any concerns about that, LEXI.
Speaker 4: I mean from a a franchise perspective, I think it's a really good direction for like the franchise because Resident Evil has always been a series that loves to come back to Raccoon City, So actually exploring an open world Racoon City sounds really exciting as a fan of the series.
Speaker 3: From a performance side.
Speaker 4: I understand where people would be very hesitant of it. I do think that when you were in something like a city environment compared to something like Monster Hunter Wilds, which is a lot of big, open, wide spaces with very long field of distance and like long views out into the distance.
Speaker 2: And we would have to stream in and be ready to stream in in case the player goes in any direction.
Speaker 4: M I think they kind of have a little leg up by just having buildings as something that they can rely on to slow people down. Like we're going to talk about Half Life in a second, but like it's been a thing since Half Life of create a long haul, you know, create a long haul so that we can load things in front of the player and delete things behind them. And ultimately it's not still that simple, but like that's still kind of the name.
Speaker 3: Of the game.
Speaker 2: Yep, absolutely, Oh yeah, mechanized And I'm sorry Max lastras and Chad points out the god what is it called? I just had it in my head, but the Horizon engine. Yesimah, yes, that has been pretty good for open world games so far, although I'm sure they'll push that to the limit as well. All right, let's actually take a quick break. We come back, let's talk about it half Life three. Right after this, everybody, all right? Half Life three almost fully finalized, according to the latest rumors. This is from Marcus Person at Game Reactor. The rumors surrounding Half Life three continue unabated, and according to a new report from Tyler McVicar, the game may be close to completion, a conclusion reached by now and analyzing recently updated code from several of Valve's games. These include Dota two, where references to HLX or Half Life X were found, findings that would indicate that the game is in an optimization phase, in other words, the end of its development process and includes, among other things, improvements to AI AI opponents excuse me, and the implementation of FSR three. Based on his analysis of the code, McVicar predicts several features in the upcoming game, Advanced physics engines the advanced physics engine. The game could have a physics engine similar to that of Half Life two, with detailed simulations of fluids, buoyancy, and how objects are affected by fire. Intelligent AI computer control characters are expected to react dynamically to sound, site and even smell, and adapt to changes in the environment. Dynamic gameplay elements such as enemies, health, and weapons can be placed randomly like the AI director in Left for Left fo Dead series, and advanced vehicle simulation Half Life three can be as detailed as the most advanced simular.
Speaker 1: So yeah, listen, it's not I think people will hear this and be like, Okay, someone's looking at games that are released.
Speaker 2: Look, they're diving into the code and they're finding stuff about half Life three that sounds unlikely. Rumors about Half Life three being late in development are are coming from more places than just this. There are reasons to believe that this actually is at least in development. Whether it actually comes out, that's a whole other thing. Who knows with valven steam, but it does seem likely. There were reasons that people were like actually predicting we would see Half Life three at the Game Awards, And it's because.
Speaker 1: That word is going around. So LEXI, what do you think is happening here?
Speaker 4: I think it's like at this point and it sounds about As someone whose job it is to care about this self, I'm just like, just call me when it happens.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I think a lot of people are in the boat with you thinking that exact same thing. That it's been so long now and people get so weird about this for so many years that what is the point of putting on the clown makeup? Well, just yeah, let's just talk about this thing when it's real.
Speaker 4: I do think, like the bigger thing that I'm curious about at this point is like I get that this would be a big deal, but as someone who wasn't alive when the first Half Life came out. Is it as big a deal?
Speaker 3: Sorry? Sorry about that?
Speaker 1: Really sorry?
Speaker 4: Is it as big a deal as like, let's say, the Valve News network might think it is, because you know, Michael mcvick, oh what's his name? Time, Yeah, like, this is his life and his livelihood and his personality, and I get that. But also, like, I know a lot of people who play video games pretty die hard who have never played a half Life and have never really understood why a half life is important, and they're not that much younger than me. And so even as someone who knows that, like, oh yeah, a new half Life is a big fucking deal, does that spread out to the younger generation of you know, has this game's meme dumb actually sped to the point that it will influence its still being relevant in twenty twenty five or twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you're right to point out that it's definitely been a long time since we had one of these, since Half Life two essentially, yeah, half Life Alex, But that was VR. That's a different thing. Most people didn't play VR, haven't played VR games, and so like just wouldn't count that towards what we're talking about with this relevant scene.
Speaker 4: Now, a lot of young people haven't played VR games because they're all broke as shit.
Speaker 2: Right exactly. It's an expensive hobby within an expensive hobby. So the expectation that people would have played Alex it's just not there for me. But everyone has Steam and Half Life three being front and sand and are on Steam. We'll give it that you know, front running advantage there, and then on top of that, you know, describing here. Let let's just take all this stuff at face value. You know, detailed simulation, uh, physics, really smart ai. It doesn't sound like your typical triple A blockbuster video game from a major publisher. It sounds like, you know, the successor successor to the lineage of you know, classic PC games that we're trying to do ambitious things. So if they are going to do some interesting stuff here at this game feels like it has the chance to you know, build an audience on its own merit. And then on top of that, it is Half Life three and the memes have been there for a very long time, and even if you haven't played the games, you know, the joke is, oh, or are they going to announce Half Life three, everyone at least knows that joke.
Speaker 4: Jamie h and Chap makes a really good point that they should just market it as a skibby toilet prequel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then we'll do great, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean the strong chance that there's a Skibbity toilet reference in the game, Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 4: How fuck would it be if we live in a world where there's a skibbty toilet reference in Half Life three but not in Borderlands four? Okay, yeah, that would be pretty like I imagine if the Borderlands four writers were more fucking like restrain themselves more.
Speaker 1: I listen.
Speaker 2: I think everyone involved with Half Life should be proud of Skibbity Toilet and claim ownership of it and take it within, bring it into the family that is, you know, the part again part of the lineage there.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, you think this game could come out this year?
Speaker 4: Can anything could happen this year? Have you fucking seen what shit's like out there? Anything could happen too, Yeah. Yeah, like GJ six could be delayed until like twenty twenty age just for the hell of it.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, fucking funny.
Speaker 4: Microsoft could like just pull out of the console market. Are entirely like, fucking none of these things are off the table at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I uh, you know, I think if this game really is in the stage of getting FSR three and optimization and you know, sprucing up the AI and stuff like that, that's where they're at.
Speaker 1: It does sound like it could release this year, but who knows.
Speaker 2: Honestly, the black Box and Steam Valve Valve developers can take their time because they really are operating on their own timelines because Steam makes enough money.
Speaker 1: But go ahead, you were gonna say.
Speaker 4: I truly believe though, is not a video game I would rather view less than Half Life three because holy shit, can you imagine the reaction if you didn't like it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, yeah, absolutely, it's uh that I feel like it would be another one of these cultural inflection points.
Speaker 1: Although you know, we could talk about this real quick. Let me do this real first.
Speaker 2: Shit, I wish I wouldn't have talked about this story because my plan was to get this in Fantasy Critic, and now Nicki is trying to do the same thing. Nicki, it's we're in the the bid finalization period, so you can only bid on things that other people have been on. On Monday, you'll be able to bid on this again, but I don't think you should.
Speaker 3: And Nicky really needs it right now.
Speaker 4: I looked at the Fantasy Critic the other day and they're on minus points already.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, we're all gonna get those minus points eventually, because there were not good options for the counterpick, and Nicky's just had to happen to come out first. But we'll see. Yeah, NICKI will need a little bit of help. But yeah, I was going what we're gonna I was talking about, So I was gonna bring something something, Yeah, something half Life three just that.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Someone pointed out like steam os might like launch as a standalone thing later this year. They could tie it together with that, sure, but yeah, overall, I just think that they will take this and and be like, Okay, we are making games. There are people inside of Valve that want to make video games still, so despite steam success, we are going to be the company that does that. And I think this will be a may oh and this was the other POINTU it's gonna bring up. This will be a major inflection point for the industry. It does feel like gamers are beginning to get a little bit annoyed with the way the like YouTube and reactionary ecosystem has been using them to like crank through ad revenue. And I think it's been because of a vowed and handful of other games recently where it's like people have been told by their favorite YouTuber that these games are woke garbage made by people who hate them, and then they go and try them because it's on game Pass and wait, I think this game's just fun to play.
Speaker 1: What are you talking about?
Speaker 2: And there's nothing is annoying about it the way you're describing why you're freaking out, and the backlash is beginning to grow in the other direction. It feels like a little bit now, of course, so it just takes one Ubisoft game to come in and undo all that and put us right back to where we started. But I'm hoping some people are starting to like put two and two together and realizing that, God, you don't have to hate every game that comes out. It's okay to just ignore it if you don't want to play it and have my thream could make that super worse. Or maybe if people are like try to do that the Half Life three as well, it could be the thing that kind of breaks some of these YouTubers.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I do really.
Speaker 4: Hope that like at the end of the year, when some of those people are trying to like rally up what games were on their side in the culture war or whatever, like tally that up, they include Like a Dragon again, because that game literally has a whole sub story where a woman where you help a woman understand that sex work is we all work, and that she should write a book about it because sex is an important part of culture. And just like see if they like defend that as anti woke or something.
Speaker 2: Yep, it's it's incredible that the whole franchise now has become or at least maybe it's always been. But as far as I played the recent games, is hey, wouldn't it be awesome? For everyone? Was like super nice, yeah, and like was super empathetic to everyone around them, and it turned every enemy into a friend through the power of friendship and love.
Speaker 1: And empathy, yes, just empathy.
Speaker 2: And as a back of the box video game feature, like that is where Like a Dragon is at these days, and so yeah, of course it's just absurd for them to claim ownership of that. All right, let's keep moving here, EA, releases source code for Command and Conquer to moders.
Speaker 1: This is from Dean Takahashi at Gamespeed.
Speaker 2: EA has released the source code for several Command and Conquer games, including Command and Concker, Tiberian Dawn, Read Alert, Renegade Generals, plus its expansion Zero Hour under the GPL license. This move aims to empower the moding community, with EA acknowledging the community's dedication to keeping these games alive. The release includes the full source code, enabling deeper modifications and improvements by the community. EA has also enabled Steam Workshop support for several of the Command and Conquer titles, allowing users to easily upload and share custom maps and more. Additionally, EA released a CNC moding support pack with source files for the game using the Sage engine. These actions follow previous efforts by EA to support the C and C camemmunity, including the release of the Command and Conquer Ultimate Collection on Steam and the source code for the Command, Command and Conquer Remastered Collection dlll files. The Command of Conquer producer at EA, Jim Vicella, emphasized the company's ambition to deliver continued improvements to the franchise, and a longtime member of the C and C community spearhead of the initiative to restore the source code archives and facilitate these releases. So yeah, EA doing some cool stuff. That's weird but very welcome. I love this stuff. I am every day I wake up more and more like turning to open source as a savior for all of society's woes.
Speaker 1: And of course it's not that, but that's what I got these days.
Speaker 2: And whenever a corporation takes something that they own and says let's unleash it as an open source thing that people can claim ownership and do what they want with it, it is.
Speaker 1: A very nice thing to see.
Speaker 2: And I think this is only going to do very good things for Command and Conquers, to the point where EA goes on to make a new Command and Conquer. This act of goodwill will actually pay dividends. Do you think that's right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's like my very cynical analyst brain looking at it, going like, oh that's fair. This Yeah, this is like the one franchise that EA looked at that they have any interest in keeping alive or doing anything with, and they were like, which one of these games can we like get some goodwill out of, and how can we make sure that it doesn't affect any Michael transactions that are currently in the games that we want to sell Michael transactions in, or we want to sell four price products of. I think they looked at all these back catalog of Command and Conquer games that still get you know, not incredible numbers on scene, but still have a user base and a dedicated community, and they were like, yeah, like, it doesn't hurt us to release the source code for this because none of this source code affects any of our other games. It's not like it will help cheats with Apex Legends. It's not like it is going to influence how much people are spending on the sims. It's you know, totally siloed off. And it's a feel good news story for them for a franchise that they probably have interest in bringing back at some point, especially because like that Command and Conquer remake sold pretty.
Speaker 1: Well, did very well. Yeah, and they did a good job with it too. It was way better than what happened with Warcraft with it's remastered a camera what that was called. But yeah, Warcraft three, it was just people really were not happy with that. I I yes, you're right. You're right one. That's how how it always goes though.
Speaker 4: And it's interesting that EA have an active producer for Command and Conquer. There's someone whose job title is Command and Conquer producer just at EAISE.
Speaker 1: That didn't exist before that remaster. I bet they appointed someone after that because it did so well, so it made it make sense.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I think this is a an example how software should kind of always work though, where we know the motivations corporations, we know what their desires are, and instead of them always sort of trying to build a dam and a moat around themselves so that they can be protected from any sort of competition from open source, getting them to work hand in hand with it is the ideal scenario. Because I do not think we can make corporations into good things, good actors. All we can do is try to line up their interests with the rest of ours occasionally and then get something good out of it. And that this is an example of that. Because you're right, this is not magnanimous. This is not them being angels. It is I'm trying to set up something or you know, the individual work inside of the company that could be that could be someone that believes in open.
Speaker 4: Soorce, yes, that's for this to happen, someone has to lobby for it. Someone internally has to champion this as an idea and go to the money people and be like, hey, no, this is like something worth doing. So like not to take away from the hard work that's someone on several poll obviously did to gather sauce code for these old games, which oftentimes isn't easy to find and to locate, and so yeah, like shout outs to the people who worked on this, because it's a really fucking cool thing.
Speaker 1: Yep, absolutely all right.
Speaker 2: Metroid Dread dev's new game is Blades of Fire, releases in May. This is in Blair Marnell at game Spot. It's been a long time since Mercury Steam released an original game, but the studio behind Metroid Samus returns and Metroid Dread has finally revealed a first look at its upcoming dark fantasy action RPG, Blades of Fury, and the announcement trailer, players are introduced to Aaron de Leira as he prepares to face his destiny ahead on against some dangerous foes. Luckily, for around Aaron, I'm gonna say Aaron said. Luckily for Aaron, he's well armed with weapons of his own creation. In the game's backstory, Aarin is the firstborn of the King's Ward and he's forced to take this take a stand after the recently crowned Queen Narrea uses dark magic to solidify her power in the kingdom. Thanks to Naraea's spell, all steel on the Kingdom has been turned to stone, and only the evil creatures at her command have the Divine Metal that can oblate, obliterate any normal weapon used against them. That's why Aaron will have to forge his own weapons to counter the Divine Metal's power, and there are several different weapons that can be chosen. Yeah, a, this game not a Metroid Vanya at least, or not two D Metro Advanya. There could be Symmetro Avena elements to it. It honestly looks a lot like God of War twenty eighteen.
Speaker 3: Do you want?
Speaker 4: What it really reminds me of is if Mercury Steam made that Castlevania Lords a shadow game in twenty twenty five. Right, So I'm I had that guess on Blue Sky where it's like I'm calling my shot that Mercury Sima working on a Castlevania thing for Kuonami.
Speaker 3: That's superna.
Speaker 4: But this isn't a million miles off of where that would have gone if they had kept doing that. And this looks interesting. It's five oh five publishing, who obviously like do Control. I'm not sure if they're still publishing Control.
Speaker 1: They're not publishing Control too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can't remember who even owned Yeah, I can't remember the last thing five or five put out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean five or five days. A lot of B games and things like that. This, and honestly, you know, in terms of I don't know. When I look at this, I think I think be game, and not in a negative way. It looks like the B movie equivalent of God of War twenty eighteen or the Casavania games, as you pointed out. So yeah, I think this looks pretty cool, and Mercury Steam feels like they are ready to take a big step forward with a big original game.
Speaker 1: You know, good for them.
Speaker 2: I know there have been reports out of Mercury Steam that there were you know, some workplace toxicity, so of course you always hope that that stuff has been addressed and it's not a problem or as minimized and mitigated as much as possible, but as far as.
Speaker 1: This game goes, it looks I'm curious. I'm curious. I would like to see how it performs and how it does and how it plays. But yeah, good for them.
Speaker 2: I think the problem for me is, I God, I hope you know Nintendo found someone to make the next two D Metroid because apparently it's not Mercury Steam, or if it is, it's another team there. And now they seem like they must have been really busy making this game, because it looks like a very very big game. So you know, in my head, I was always fantasy booking, yeah, they would make the next new Metroid game after DREG because Drag was so so so good.
Speaker 1: Of course Nintendo would want to keep.
Speaker 2: Them on doing that, but maybe they weren't able to do that, and maybe Mercury seem's like, we don't even want to work with you because we have bigger ambitions for our own game.
Speaker 1: And again, good for them, but got a like I would like a new Metroid.
Speaker 2: I don't know, all right, forts the Horizon five on PS five pro even hass features the.
Speaker 1: Xbox version doesn't have. This is from alex co at Dual shockers.
Speaker 2: Last month, Microsoft surprise gamers by announcing that another Xbox exclusive game is headed to the PS five and that it's racing game for the Horizon five. It's not just a straight part as today, Playground Games has revealed that the PS five version will even have features not available on Xbox platforms. In a new blog post by Playground Games, the developer confirmed that the PS five Pro version of the game will feature in game ray tracing in gameplay and in the open world. The Xbox versions only has this feature available in garages. Well, this might seem like a small, detailed this is still odd to see given an x in Xbox first party game technically will look better on a competitor's console.
Speaker 1: Excuse me.
Speaker 2: At the very least, car reflections should look way better on the PS five Pro. Alongside that, Playground Games also announced the graphical modes players can expect for the PS five version of the game. There's a Performance mode at sixty frames per second, a Quality mode that runs to thirty frames per second. Playground Games added that on PS five Pro, the Performance mode receives increased visual fidelity, while Quality mode adds ray trace car reflections to races and free realm. Like, see, I'm not going to turn on ray trace reflections if it means I'm getting thirty frames per second in a racing game.
Speaker 1: But that's me still.
Speaker 2: You know, the story here is the game technically has features and looks better on a PlayStation than it does on an Xbox. Should people freak out about this? And to me, I don't know, this feels like a very normal thing these days. You're putting it on a new platform, selling it to more people. That's going to make the juice of this effort worth the squeeze in a lot a lot of ways. So it just doesn't shock me all that much.
Speaker 1: How about you.
Speaker 4: I feel like super bad for the people who were probably working on this version of the game, and at some point they had to go into a meeting with Microsoft giving updates on how development is going and explain like, hey, we want this game to be the best it can be on the platform that we are releasing. Yeah, of course, we like, we thank you for your support and you know you own us on all of this, but also we want it to be the best version of the game that people can play. Yeah, And the idea of like selling a version of Forts Horizon five that is like intentionally held back on PlayStation five.
Speaker 1: Pro also the more powerful platform.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, because that's kind of the exact thing that Microsoft was promising the courts that they wouldn't do was release subpower versions of Call of Jugi and things like that on a competitors console. So in a lot of ways, you know, the existence of the PS five Pro has put them in a very awkward position because it's a box which is better than their box on a fundamental power level, and they have to to like be seen as good sports, to be seen as good business partners, which you always want to be a good business partner, Like, Yeah, they just have.
Speaker 2: To work with that, and I think, you know, it's an awkward position for maybe the Xbox platform people within Microsoft, maybe if they even care. But at the very least it's not awkward for the developers because, as you said, they're job is to make the game run as good as it possibly can wherever they're putting the game out, and that is going to be their their their priority first and foremost. They're not going to hold it back because of some like implied or some perceived idea that they are favoring PlayStation over their home console. They are not going to be thinking about that. These are people who want to who are making a game, and they want their game to be as good as possible.
Speaker 4: So the people, the people who like I do genuinely feel bad for in this situation is the community managers and the public facing developers who are going to get shipped from like absolute assholes who will use.
Speaker 1: This as titled gamers.
Speaker 4: Yes, and it's like, man, these people are literally just doing their job in the very simplest the terms, like they have done nothing wrong here in this situation.
Speaker 1: Yep, all right, a couple more stories here.
Speaker 2: Pokemon Champions unintended switch to be digital only paid games, just kind of small details still coming out of that Pokemon Day Direct presentation that we had earlier this week. This is is one of the basically the only new new game that they announced, obviously Pokemon Legends z A. Pokemon Legends z A it hasn't come out yet, but this was a new announcement in Champions, which is the battle mode from a Pokemon Stadium game. Essentially, who ripped out of a game, ripped out of a game, put on iOS, Android and Switch and they are gonna sell it to people, so it's not gonna be like a free down load.
Speaker 1: It's gonna sell it to you, but it's not gonna be a physical game.
Speaker 2: It'll just be a digital only thing, which makes sense because it's a phone app that they're also putting out on switch right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was gonna say, I have like negashuv, I have no interest in any Pokemon self whatsoever.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure on your continent, Jordan Midler has sucked up all of that for himself, so no one else does either.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all Irish people hate the whatever British people like.
Speaker 3: So I see Waldon like that. I'm like, well, gotta hate this. I'm curious.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we didn't hear it. We didn't get to hear the reaction from them from one Joe who Yeah, okay, that's all I wanted to hear.
Speaker 1: Cool, that's all you need to know. Yeah, so, you know, I think they didn't give us an idea of like when this is coming, but it's probably or maybe they said like a general time frame, but either way, probably this year.
Speaker 4: Karachi in chat just said Ireland is a Digiman country, and boy, this this racism sweeping America has gotten out of hand.
Speaker 3: The anti Irish sentiment.
Speaker 1: Point not to lie, I don't see it all right.
Speaker 2: According to analysts, Avowed will be a bigger hit than Indiana Jones in the Great Circle in its first month.
Speaker 1: This is from Alberta Grito at Game Reactor.
Speaker 2: February has proved to be a tremendously busy month for video game releases like Kingdomcome, Deliverance to Civilization seven, Like a Dragon, Avowed, Monster Hunter, Wilds, and more. Uh and these are just the most important ones. You can check out the rest in it. They have an article and now that some of them have been on sale for a few weeks, we can extrapolate how they have performed or will perform in terms of sales and popularity. The game analytics agenda mind game Data has shared its projections for the first month on the market for Avowed, the recent RPG from Obsidian and Xbox Game Studios, and the data is quite surprising. According to the analyst firm, Avowed will reach four point nine million players in its first month on sale, including both game Pass subscribers who have played it there and those who have purchased a copy of the game digitally or physically. That figure alone is telling enough, and it seems we weren't the only ones to enjoy its colorful adventure. Blah Blah Blah points out that that is more so than the around four million that Indiana Jones managed in its first month. To me, the way I read this Lexi is that people are kind of feeling good about Microsoft's game output and a way that they were not for a while there. So it's like, actually, what's happening is a vout is building on the success of Indiana Jones, where people are more willing to be like, oh, let me get my Xbox out, let me get it connected again. I'm playing Indiana Jones and now a vouts here, and people who were maybe waiting on the sideline or like, well, now there's two good games, so that I have even more of a reason to go over there to either buy these games or subscribe to game Pass or I got game Pass because the Indiana Jones and now I'm playing a vout on top of that. So I think the sort of idea that Microsoft had behind acquiring all these studios and releasing all these games is starting to pay off. Fore, it is having a little bit of a network effect and one is doing better than the next, or one is doing better than the last.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that goes especially so for studio like Obsidian, who are one of the very few Microsoft studios right now who have multiple releases under their belt since they have been acquired by Microsoft.
Speaker 3: Like, it's one of the few studios.
Speaker 4: That you can look to and you can go you know, Outer Worlds, Pentiment and Grounded all have kind of been supported and came out under Microsoft's.
Speaker 1: Like Watch and all like kind of punched above their weight. Yeah, am, and.
Speaker 4: People generally like so like, people feel good about Obsidian games at the moment, and you know what.
Speaker 1: We can probably wrap up the show about is selling well? Good for it? It is?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got I really enjoy that game. It is going to have long legs, It's gonna it's gonna do well over time. People are gonna be picking out that game up throughout this entire year.
Speaker 1: I think, all right, let's see here, pull question. If you're ready for it, Jan, I'm not so. There we go. Let's let me get it up over here. Do you have a handheld gaming PC? Let me refresh that and see if that is the uh right one? There we go.
Speaker 2: Nope, The right one is have you ever bought a controller from eight bit Dough? I have, In fact, I just bought one yesterday.
Speaker 1: And holy crap, forty eight percent of our respondents of the two point six thousand people that voted, have bought an eight bit dough controller. Man, that is quite quite a few of you.
Speaker 4: When I think of the Giant Bomb audience, that is maybe the most biased call that you have done in a long time. I mean, be inclined to buy an eight bito controller. It's people who watch Giant Bomb.
Speaker 2: And people who have been influenced by us not shutting up about it. Fifty two percent said no, uh yeah, that ultimate to control here should be here tomorrow and I'm looking forward to trying it out.
Speaker 1: So I got the purple one. I'm pretty excited about it.
Speaker 2: Oh excuse me, all right, you have a new poll question before we get to that, Lexie, why don't you tell peop where they can.
Speaker 1: Find you on the internet what you have going on all that good stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, find me at basically Lexi on Blue Sky and the Stamman You podcast has recently come back. Second episode is going up on Monday. We have special guest Squidge rugby on, which, if you know anything about rugby, is very exciting. He is probably the best rugby analyst in the business, but also a big old fucking nerd on a He's glace. So we hung out with him and talked about the Pokemon presentation and what he's been playing on rug Be twenty five, which is a bad video game.
Speaker 1: Well then, jee, should we be doing this in a video Ninja baby? Okay? Cool? All right?
Speaker 2: Well, new pole question? Where are you playing Monster Hunter Wild's? Xbox PlayStation PC? And here's a little special one for you all out there.
Speaker 1: I'm not playing it. You can also vote for that if you're not playing it instead of just trying to see the results. We'll get the results of that, all right, everybody, we have, So we did a new poll question, where are you playing Monster hunder Wilds? Thank you Lexi so much for hanging out with me today and talking about video games. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: For talking glob This is the first time I've thanked you.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's right and first and only time you're ever gonna have to thank me. Thank you Jan for producing through this message. We kind of piece everything together and figure out what it's going to look like now. Thank you everybody for watching all week while we did some fun stuff on Giant Bomb, But most importantly, thank you for watching and listening this show.
Speaker 1: Until next time, have a good one, take care of yourself, and goodbye. I'm going to reach my hand over to Lexi's side of the window. Bye.