Speaker 1: In a world of contested potterers and silent battles. One voice cuts through the noise.
Speaker 2: Was Israel able to achieve its aim? When Israel bombed Iran? Do you think that Chinese army is at war with itself?
Speaker 1: Joined veteran war correspondent God of Seventh, one of India's most trusted voices in defense journalism.
Speaker 2: Navaskar and jahand I'm God a Seventh.
Speaker 1: Listen to Chuck review with God of Savad on India Today Podcasts, Spotify, Apple Podcasts, YouTube Music and your favorite audio utity platform stay Alhert. The war for truth start here.
Speaker 2: This is India Today Podcasts.
Speaker 3: You are on India Today Podcasts and you are in the sledging room. Let me warn you this is not a place for the faint hearted and the weak need.
Speaker 2: If you're a.
Speaker 3: Sports buff and like challenging everything you see. Young Gia, stay, If you're a Sulaata fan, walk away.
Speaker 4: Right now.
Speaker 5: We are back in the sledging room. Sorrow and Alan joined me for this week sort of, let's talk about it. Let's dive straight into the topic. Talk about the biggest event in England this week. What is it we're at watching Wimbledon.
Speaker 2: Okay, was it needed? The reactions?
Speaker 5: Why is the thirty six year old retired cricketer watching a thirty eight year old Djokovic playing? So many reactions like that sort of You were also saying that when Doni comes here they go, but when Kali comes, they look at his body language, they talk about his marriage. Poor guy. One photo from one photo we have in for so many things. Unnecessary is what I think, and this topic is also a little unnecessary. Let's drift away to talk about what we came here to talk the fantastic win for Team India. You know, I genuinely believed after the Leeds defeat that probably this team will be cornered here with the style that England played. They chase three hundred and seventy odd in the first Test on the fifth day, and I thought, Okay, that's how it's going to be. Maybe India might do well and still lose. That would be disheartening to see like what happened in Leeds. But in Birmingham, schumannil showed that Okay, we are a young team, we don't have the superstars, but still are the best cricketers in the world. As in, can you discount that fact that Schumann, Rishab Karun, all of them are finest among the finest. Did you expect that sorp Did you expect the win? Did you expect the win?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 6: See to be very honest now, because of how the team was set up, Like I said, the first three hours of the day would have all been about if you looked at it. You had Aaron Finnch, you had Tom Moody. You had everybody talk about, oh why is Bumrah not playing? You want to win and however you're not going to do it without just with Boomra? Why is cool they not playing? So this was the storm that was surrounding the Indian team. You had people trolling Kambir. You had rubbish Astri come out and publicly slam the team management saying that this is not the right team. I cannot agree with it, and a lot of comments were made and that day I had written how amidst all this commotion? It was that calmness from Schumann Gill that should have gotten the spotlight that how he played that innings so once he got two hundred, I was like, okay, Shuman has always been that guy who gets to a hundred. But you know you he does not kick on and like get to a big score like how Rochhama used to do in Odia cricket.
Speaker 2: Then he went, then he continued going.
Speaker 6: Then I think England and everybody was like, is he going to go go score a three hundred. Finally he got tired and he lost it. That was it, and then the second innings. My god, that day four, I still remember the commotion here. Everybody was like, when are we retiring? When are we retire? Declaring sorry? I think made me there. But that moment also, like it was so exciting to watch that team play on day four. You did not know, like what is going to be their next move. It was absolute carnage. I think Gil went from ten of twenty or something to one sixty one from one sixty two balls. It was just pure carnage. And we gave England, a supposed team that is known for their bold batting, a taste of their own medicine. So that was absolutely brilliant to watch. Day five I had to travel a little bit here and there, so I did not watch it. But agashi water performance that was simply sublime, and he has shown that he deserves a place in the team. So yeah, I did not expect it, but the way the wind come came, it was pure joy.
Speaker 2: At the end of the day.
Speaker 5: I still remember sort of texting me on day one morning as in afternoon here, morning there, that I want Gotham to be sacked. I think he had to lose this test touse this series. He was so miffed to the team selection that yeah, we all knew that Boomra might or might not play. They didn't confirm it until the leven was out, but eventually Boomra didn't play, and then Kuldib didn't play two wicket taking options not playing press. He retained after an ordinary Test in Leeds. So what was the mindset tub and how did it change over the course of five days.
Speaker 7: See, if you talk about the mindset the Indian team with whatever happened in the first chest, I had bare minium confidence on this team winning the match, especially when you don't have someone like Boomra and a team which has a pasuit of Siraj who has always worked hard but he was not getting those wickets. Then, oh my god, amongst all these things which is happened in the sis match, Krishna was I think the only concerning point for us for the amount of runs he considered in the first Chest and the second Test, and especially you know, to be very frank with you, the way this transition is happening like midway you saw after the Austia series retired, then Kohali retired and then we all expected Bumrah to be the captain. But Buomorra, citing the workload concerns, did not become the captain. Schumann Gil was handed over responsibility. And I will not shy away from the fact that I was the one who questioned the move. We three were doing the podcast and then I was the one who said that how is this decision for a batsman who has not scored run overseas scored runs overseas? How are you giving him that most important role the captain cey of Indian Test team. But Schumann Gill, for all the criticism that he faced from all corners of the world, hats off to him for what he did with the bat because yes, I'm not taking anything away from Akaze. Taking ten match wickets on that pitch was sensational, especially after fighting that personal whatever you say, I mean, the tragic moment is happening in his life. But schumann Gill's batting, I mean the captain of Indian Test team, his second match is in the captain and he is scoring four hundred orderns in the one Test match in England, even on the flat tracks. How much is Ben sok score? How much is Benduckets score? What is Joru doing? And then you see schumann Gill batting it out And you know the best part for me was they targeted him with short balls and the way he dealt with that adwall tactics. He spammed them all across the ground for six and boundaries and him and the Shippan when they were batting in the second age, it looked like, oh my god, this is what baseball is, not that fraud England team, because England team is a fraud team.
Speaker 6: To be very frankly, it's a funny thing because I was looking through the stats, so we had to write a copy about what Shupermann was doing.
Speaker 2: So he scored a h.
Speaker 6: Five hundred runs, so Sabia told me he scored five hundred runs and he's a second batter to reach five hundred in India. Was England tests for Indian matter so I was like, okay, so who's got the highest runs?
Speaker 2: So he said, Rakoli, how many runs fire?
Speaker 6: And I said this will be broken today only it's four innings and he scored five eighty five runs at a staggering average three hundreds in it. That is like, that is like how Vishas said he batted like Don Bradman and his captaincy was ten on ten and you did not expect it. Like I'm pretty sure there were a lot of people when this we were questioning should Gill I said, yeah, Schumann Hill is going to be a captain you and said why is he being made captain? Sometimes it's like, you know, there was this one wably reference I'll make there's a long time back. There was an interview where Triplett said, you know, you take a lump of cold now that's just carbon.
Speaker 2: You apply pressure on it.
Speaker 6: You apply so much pressure it either becomes a diamond or it breaks under the pressure.
Speaker 2: Right now with.
Speaker 6: Schumann Gill, he's under the most immense pressure that you can get as a captain of the Indian team right now, taking after road Sherman and Viraculi leaving the Test format. It's the biggest pressure that you can get and he's just excelling it like nobody's business. And also like how Sauub said, this whole plan of baseball backfired because they set up a pitch which is perfect for Indian Indian batters. I don't know what benstocks was saying, Oh, this felt like a subcontinent pitch. Yeah, you can't play there. That is your biggest cry there. You will come and cry here, and now you're crying at your home home.
Speaker 5: So yeah, but look at this Roy Sherma and Schumann Gill. Seems like an upgrade at the moment, right, and King Shukuari and Alan John, you know, the most logical, the most science we have spoken in a single episode of Yes, applied pressure to carbon. When that man sits here, there is no logic. He would have probably defended basketball. You would have probably said, oh, no, you can't provide these flat pitchures, all those nonsense. But I'm happy that someone is talking logic and science in this room.
Speaker 2: Good but yeah, sort of us saying so no.
Speaker 7: So when you talk about Ben Strokes, you know one thing which I realized watching Benstrokes in last six even years, just there was a period when he was a matchwiller. But now every time he gets out he makes it look like it was the ball of century. Like any baller from any country comes up, even if that baller is bowling is first, soonder was bowling is first toward England? Right, first ever Test over in England. He has paid first Regget and he removes Ben Stokes and Benstocks mixed like, oh my god, how is Shane one balling?
Speaker 2: To me?
Speaker 7: And this is what this guy has done. You know, I was listening to an English commentator. I can't name him, I don't remember his name, but he said, whenever you questioned the England Test team, you questioned Jack Jack Crawley, you question olipop. But do you know who is the only batter in that top order, in the middlewatter who has not scored one hundred in last three years? Ben Sookes so the captain for all the hype that he has, and like our King Shukusar said that he has the aura. He's the most oralist batsman that you will ever see in English conditions.
Speaker 2: And more importantly, I think he's now under immense pressure.
Speaker 5: You could see f it's that from the body language of that pressure and even the interviews that he gave to the English broadcasters. After the interview, he generally is very relaxed and he looks at things very in a very different way. But that day he looked a little flustered as to admit that these were sub subcontinent pitches. It was was a thing, but the body language itself, because your opposition captain has scored four hundred thirty runs in a single Test match and here you are getting out to a you know, like he said, a spinner who was bowling for the first Yes, of course, that ball drifted in like anything. I think I read a stat saying no other ball from a spinner in England has drifted as much five point six degrees or something since they started recording these things in two and six. So that's that is one thing. But the first inning is undone by a terrific bouncer. Even in India when he came in twenty twenty four, at that time it was called the Pataudi Trophy, right, yeah, now it's called Anderson Tentle Trophy. He got out to Boomra on a couple of occasions and he made it look like he dropped the bat.
Speaker 2: He dropped the bat All that it was a normal slow see.
Speaker 6: I think what Michael Atherton was saying. I was also very surprised with the fact that Ben Stokes after the first Test win said he had gone on a complete break. He was a shadow of himself. He was not looking, he had completely shut down. And now Michael Atherton is saying, well he needs to do that in the next three days.
Speaker 2: To lift the stream up.
Speaker 6: Now, how will he do that? My question is when, like the pressure is there? You saw Schuperman Gil he was. He was probably not proactive in that first first Test. He was a little out of sorts when he got hit by Bassbot. But in the second Test he was proactive. He knew what he had to do. Yes, he bid his time. He knew that okay, England were going, but then this was a pitch, This was a track where nobody could do anything. He knew that his bowlers were getting hit, but he waited. He waited till that second ball came in and then he brought back. He had his fresh bowlers coming in and they finished them off. In World thirty four for five the last five weeks when we fell for thirty four runs. Why is Benstocks not getting that idea like Brendon mcculum comes out and says that, yeah, we made a mistake with the toss, Like how many more mistakes will you make?
Speaker 2: Like I wrote this piece.
Speaker 6: I wrote that piece where I was very highly critical of the Indian team when they lost the first Test, and I said that you can't be fooling around saying that, you know, transition can't be a reason for us to say that, oh we are missing out on a WDC final. This England team has not played at a w DC final. They've not been in contention. They've either been dogged slow overrates. That has been a recurring theme. You are constantly putting up this thing where oh, we play for the enjoyment of the sport.
Speaker 2: We are the saviors of Test cricket. What are you saving.
Speaker 6: You're not saving anything, You're not leaving a pitch that is good for Test cricket, You're not playing Test cricket properly. And then you're saying that you're trying to save Test cricket. Benstokes has to be questioned like how sare upset right now?
Speaker 1: Are you?
Speaker 6: Why are there no questions about Ben Stokes? The batter Benstokes the bowler got saved in the first Test second as he was ineffective? What is he doing as a captain as well?
Speaker 5: You know, I saw an argument I think it was Athaton and Hussein on Sky Sports or part of that wonderful episode of podcast that they released on six to seventh, in that they were asking about Benstok. The same question was being discussed, but then they said, you know, one of the best win records in the modern era by an England captain. But is that the art stick? Is that the art stick you want to have? Joe Root, by all means, was horrible in the later half of his captains like.
Speaker 2: When he came to India.
Speaker 5: When India went there, I agree with that, even invest in England couldn't do anything. So is if that is the art stick that Stokes is being measured on, then it's fine.
Speaker 2: Then he's okay. But like you both pointed out.
Speaker 5: If the goal is to make it to the World Test Championship, he even spoke about it like it's we have to win to make it to the World Test.
Speaker 2: But I had a simple question.
Speaker 5: Six hundred and eight was a target and you had a little over than three sessions too.
Speaker 2: But the thing is why didn't they go for a draw? Are they not built?
Speaker 5: You say that, Okay, we don't do draws. That's the thing. We don't do draws.
Speaker 2: Is it? You don't do draws. You're not capable of doing draws, you.
Speaker 7: Know, if you ask me, the Singland team is not without doing anything apart from winning Test matches on flat tracks where the other teams fail the moment you see that the other team has a bowler who can actually get some spurches of the pitch, who is getting the ball to nip in. This Indian team falls flat, especially if you look at his engliand team, like Alan pointed out, you know, was sacked after two bad series as a captain and as a batter he played. He won the series against Bangladesh, he lost three nil to Newsland at home and then he lost to Australia. Australia where he was captaining just two two or three Test matches. Fine, but in England you see Ben Stokes, he's losing everywhere. Where did he win a Test series?
Speaker 2: Still in Pakistan?
Speaker 7: Pakistani want so great in Pakistan flat tracks they do that at home. Oh that's the game. Back from that is a great achievement.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And you know with this England team, I think they morally won matches in India also, right, like.
Speaker 7: The moral wins are always there for England, Ben Stokes, Mcallum especially. I remember on day five when Schub hit a six of Souner or Dja, the English station was in. They were celebrating it like they have won the Test Championship and it was very absurd for me to see that. Yes, your taender is hitting those sixes, but you should be ashamed of yourself like.
Speaker 2: Three months ago, like how you celebrated one follow on follow on, We avoided the further avoided the match. We saved the match.
Speaker 7: Yeah, time match you are completely outplayed it as a as a bowling unit, as a batting unit, as a feeling.
Speaker 2: They do things differently.
Speaker 6: So Jack, like, let me tell you said that England cricket Ben Stokes is one of the greatest England captains of the modern and you asked the question, can England cricket be a yard stick? Let me tell you has more. If you have count Wil's singles in O cricket, he'll still be the fifth highest run getter for England. In that format. So England cricket is not a yardstick for anything. Let's let's start with that.
Speaker 2: But now you have the home of cricket, they have the crowds coming in.
Speaker 6: The Home of cricket. Everything you can, you can say all these things, but you need to show the cricket to be good good for that right, You need to show the cricket that, okay, we are You have the name Lords. That means you are the owners of the thing. You have, not you you've invented cricket, you have your Your team is not good enough. You've invented many sports. Your teams are not good enough. It's just simple fact that it's.
Speaker 2: Just the arrogance.
Speaker 6: Okay, you saw England and basketball doing some magic in Pakistan, which I think even Bangladesh did. Like you said, no, no disrespect to Bangladesh. They outplayed Pakistan. Pakistan were being outplayed till they started using pitches that were turning. Before that they were being outplayed. Then coming to your question, can they get a draw? They don't have people to get a draw. Can can a bend a kid play that Hashi Mamala role where he was I think Hashi Mamala and a work three for I don't know how many hundred and two hundred balls can they do that? Nobody is there. Maybe a Joe Route can do it. Apart from the Harry Brook cannot do it, that is not his natural.
Speaker 5: But Harry Brook is the is better than We're Coolie is what they c talent genera or such talent and the temperament of someone like we're at.
Speaker 2: That's that's how they make it look like.
Speaker 5: Right, yeah, that is on flat tracks in pakistanis And that is the biggest joke I've ever heard, because this English team if you look see if you really want to, you know, see, basketball can be anything you don't They don't want to define it.
Speaker 2: They will kind of define it whichever way they want to.
Speaker 5: But if you can't play for draws, if you think draws are bad, then go back to that Sydney test, go back to that test and please gave their heart out. What is this we don't do draw siek. They could have easily been one niller for a lot on that pitch. Had they applied themselves, had one batter, you know, stay stuck along with someone like Joe Root, they could have easily played for a draw there. If you can draw that match in Sydney against that bowling attack, Hazel would come in and all of them. Drawing here could have been easier, is what I thought. You could have been one nil if you're played with that attitude.
Speaker 2: And let me be also be very fair on this.
Speaker 6: The England cricket team, the English media, they all took this Indian team very lightly before. Every single time you could see Archer has to be ready for Ashes. Archer has to do this to be ready for Ashes. Mark Wood has to be ready for ashes. Indian series is a build up for the Ashes. You go to Ashes. I'm telling you this team will get dropped again. They will get dropped. There is no other chance. They took this Indian team lightly because Koli, Rushvin and Roach three match winners gone.
Speaker 2: Oh this team? What is there?
Speaker 6: Ravindra Jeeja who is towards the end of his career, a young bowling team. Bumra will not play more than three tests. Sumann will will put some pressure on him. He's gonna crumble under that pressure. We've done that with multiple captains. What is Schubmann Gill going to do? And Schumann Gill went there and he was always you look at his press conference, he's very he's a very educated guy. Maybe he might be a little too smart as well in his brain, but he's very educated.
Speaker 2: He never showed any aggression on the mic.
Speaker 6: He was like, hah, this is the thing I'm not Yeah, I'm looking to become the best batter for my side in the team.
Speaker 2: People said a lot of things.
Speaker 6: People had problems with his prince tag on his cricket bat. That was also a problem in our country. Now where are those critics. There's nobody there. But when you look at the England team, they make all these statements. They go on making statements after statements that we will do this, will do that. If they made these statements and they outplayed all these teams that have come in, they want the ashes. They beat India in India, they beat India in their home conditions, I would agree to it. They are not doing anything. They have not reached a WDC final. They not reach a w DC final. They cannot play for a draw to save themselves. Now there there were questions, oh did agast the bowl a no ball? For God's sake, man, your best batter got bamboozled. Accept it, Move ahead, you have three days to prepare for Lords. They still don't know which pitch they want. They want a spicy pitch, they want a.
Speaker 2: Honey glaze pitch.
Speaker 6: I don't know what they want with their with their play, this, their their concept is irritating at times and that is the biggest problem.
Speaker 2: And the cheer leading for that is what irks me.
Speaker 5: And like, okay, Brenda McCallum doesn't come out in the open and say this is bass ball, But the cheerleading for that is a little over the top of them. When you say, okay, best England captain in the modern era, look at the stats. Who are the England captains in the modern era.
Speaker 2: Himself?
Speaker 5: But if you want to play with that yard stack, then probably every w final will be a battle between India. You might maybe Pakistan and Silanka I joined that or New Zealand might get you.
Speaker 6: You might actually say that Alastair Cook is one of the most classical players and a little bit on the boring side, But that England team was way better than this.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. That team came to India and beat India, beat India, went to Australia, won the ashes that they.
Speaker 5: Would have done draws, They would have been smarter.
Speaker 7: When I said, this England team says that we don't do draws, It's like me saying I don't want to meet the primise of her country, so I can't meet the primise of my country. They can't do draws, they don't have the means to do it. You know, this English media and English media is the biggest culprit because they have this colonial mindset. You know, the best moment for me was not in the Test match. It was in the post match miss conference when Schumann Gil was asked that a fellow journalist from Britain reminded you of India's horrible record at his question whereas and then the way that guy replied it was sensational.
Speaker 2: You know. The way Schumann has handled himself.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like, yes, he began training during the IPL and all that he was told I think well in advance that he would be And in the first Test, India didn't drive home that bandage there were four thirty one for five and then get gotten bulled out from there. And Schumann when he walked out for that after Leeds Test press conference, he didn't blame anyone. He was asked about the tail enders crumbling forty one for seven and thirty one for six.
Speaker 2: He said, no, I won't blame them.
Speaker 5: It is asked batters who have to take the responsibility when we get to a hundred, we need to make it big.
Speaker 2: On these pitches. And he did that. He just walked the talk.
Speaker 5: In the second thing, he never looked like he'll get out if the moment he got to his hundred, he reset like sunlo Asker always says, when you get to a hundred, don't think that you know you're done. You' just you know, start again. That's what killed did. And the conviction in his batting. He never looked like he threw it away. In the second things, he was unbeaten.
Speaker 2: I think right he fell out, he got out trying to go for it.
Speaker 5: Yeah so in the India or when when you yeah and Washington in the rest playing Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So the way he has, you know, handled himself handle the press, I don't know.
Speaker 2: A isn't like we all questioned this move.
Speaker 5: But in the hindsight it might be something like something that happened to be Art as well, right in twenty fourteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was a very flashy character.
Speaker 5: But you never knew that he would do this to test cricket and like what he did to test cricket. I don't think even if Gill scores forty hundreds from here on can be done. But the impact that some people handle the burden of responsibility, well I think Gill is in that.
Speaker 6: I think there were a lot of people even during my gym also, they were like coming and asking, bro, what is this?
Speaker 2: Like you made him captain and he's.
Speaker 6: Scoring runs, he couldn't score a fifteen overseason. What has happened to him? I said, he is that player. When you look at that under nineteen batch, he was the standout. A lot of media hype went to perth Visha, a lot of other players as well, but.
Speaker 2: This guy was the standout.
Speaker 6: And there is a reason he stood up in that pressure game against Pakistan when others did not scored one hundred.
Speaker 2: And he has that aggression streak in him.
Speaker 6: I remember King shuk telling during one of those episodes that I just want him to be aggressive, but he doesn't do that. He knows when to be aggressive, he knows when to put in the accelerator, but he never shows it outside.
Speaker 5: That two sixty nine was aggression only. What was it what else was it? Like people say, Okay, Travid might not be aggressive, but to stay there and you know, to through a that in that heat, that's aggression for you. Yeah, everybody reacts to situations differently where art saggression is in your face, but that one of test matches, and there have been people has been differently aggressive. Ricky Ponting has been Inzama Mulak. Would you say that he was not aggressive? He might look the most laid back cricketer that you've ever seen, but he had the steel of you know, you have nerves of steel, and he did what he did for his country, right, So I think it's it's that that they also be discussed that it's unfair to you know, type cast aggression like people, you know, you don't want supern Gil to be Verratkolii should be superann Gill. And he has started showing that I will lead from the front. I want to show that. Okay, guys, he's telling richa punt by doing this. If you get to a hundred, it's not like you will start playing her. You know, those shots you have to drive home the advantage and against this England team, if you're given them a way for four hundred is a target. In the final innings, we were all discussing that also, right did we declare an hour late? But they knew that six hundred on the board would be a very moral advantage as well.
Speaker 6: I think I think Marcus Roscothic came that day saying that we are not stupid, we will not try to chase it. But in their minds that I also said, was it an ego trip or was it a statement that we are making. It was almost like, Okay, you chased almost close to four hundred, now try chasing.
Speaker 2: Try and do it.
Speaker 6: Yes, we challenge you, try and do it. I think that is a mentality. My only problem when I talk about Gavda Gumbiert as a coach, Yeah, there are such great moments, but there's inconsistency. I don't know, inconsistency probably in terms of his statements, maybe his team selections.
Speaker 2: I think that has to go.
Speaker 6: Like I think I saw yesterday an Bisla's tweet saying that when he did this, everybody was on his back. Now when they won, oh it's all Shupermann guilded this this that please give him the flowers as well. Yeah, we are ready to give him the flowers. Probably what Gambier I think, what I feel he needs to do in test cricket is that maintain a consistency with the team selections, like probably give chances to people who should be there.
Speaker 2: Maybe yeah, this.
Speaker 6: Time around he made the correct calls, he made brought an AGAs everything worked. Maybe stick with this team or depending on the next track, maybe bring in if needed, but maintain that team selections don't go just by the thing. I think I was one of the people who was not happy with Hasdrana's inclusion for the Australia series. He has not done anything. You're not done anything. It was a young guy is still trying to find his feet. Let him find his feet and slowly come in. Maybe that is where Gambier as a coach has to improve.
Speaker 5: But at the same time, I also think that he backs his instincts and picks players or instincts ravishas to pick and like he was looked at as an oudio one day white ball bowler, but then he brought him in. I think Gambier wants to take that gamble, but he does it a little over does it a little bit. That is where that's like Washington cent there is backing from the home season, like he has been backed ahead of Ushwin. Like that's something, Okay, maybe you wanted to see that. Okay, maybe I want an off spinner who can bat a bit like maybe he knew that Ashwin didn't have miles in his legs and I shall also quit it. But yeahs in like it's now time to give him credit, right and be stuck to his guns. When we all said that, okay, we might not need that extra batter, he picked that extra batter and that worked. Jerija scoring eighty nine odd runs in the first innings and adding two hundred with Supermann Gill and then soon there's forty two. Might look separate, but then he also had one hundred and twenty hundred thirty runs with Jerija with supermun Gill, So instead of ending up with another four thirty four fifty, we got four five eighty odd runs.
Speaker 2: Right, So I think you need to give him credit.
Speaker 5: But at the same time, whether when conditions demanded, can he play five five specialist bowlers or something that we need to look at, But now you have the cushion to do that is what I think. Maybe you drop a Washington soon there you drop on this d and then play another pure batter or a bowler, whichever demands the But I want to ask you both one question. Can drive home this advantage and win this series from here on? Or do you think England can fight back?
Speaker 7: You know, before I talk about this, let's spend some minutes about a cash Deep. What a performance. So the guy makes his debut against England in an home series. His first figures is Bendict and in that spell he made it look like, yes, he's ready for the interesting stage. Then when we go to Australia he plays the matches and yes, there are times when you realize that this guy needs to be more disciplined in his bowling, that there are a lot of no balls.
Speaker 2: But when he is on.
Speaker 7: Song, he's on song, especially the way he took out the wickets of Joe Ruod Benduicett. And I was looking at a stat so do you guys know that the last baller lasts overseas pacer before a cash Deep to take five England top batters without taking remove five milliand top batters without taking any help of any fielder. It was Michael Holding in ninety seventy six and a car hip has on that and he actually rested any Indian bowler's best ever bowling figures in England in Test cricket. What a performance from that guy. And on top of that, when he came out for that chat with Pujara and he mentions that I dedicate this performance to my sister who suffered from cancer and she is going through the toughest period of her life and I have been battling it mentally, but I never made it public, had soft to him, had soft to his family and all the love and prayers for her sister. Sensational performance. You know, he made the ball talk. In the first things I remember, Siras picked up a five figured hall and Akasi was the one who took the catch, and Silas came out and said that had we it would have been better had we both taken a five figure hall and would have given the ball to Ai because Punja boss special. And in the second innings it was who picked up a six fiket hall and drew India to a famous win at as Western. What a performance. Absolutely sensational, hat soft red guy. And I believe now our coach, our management our captain should back this guy for.
Speaker 8: At least a couple of series if he's fit. The next moment, the way he's buying, he looks like, I think we have got that again. We've got that trio. We had Shami missing. We were thinking who's next. We were all banking on as we're banking was the main horse.
Speaker 6: But I think has come in and you know, kind of showed that, you know, I Am here to stay.
Speaker 2: I think the Wicked did that as well.
Speaker 6: So yeah, the Wicked celebration of I think Joe Route saying that I'm here to stay. So that shows because now the competition, like we have always been saying, we need another pace battery, we need another group of pacers coming in. We have had so many names come in and fade out. This guy is here to stay and he's showing that. He showed that from the first day that he got a chance to come in, he was well.
Speaker 2: Both him and.
Speaker 6: Saraj have always said, like I've always felt that they've been a little bit unlucky. Sometimes catches not going their way, sometimes certain decisions not going their way.
Speaker 2: But they kept on it.
Speaker 6: They kept on first innings, it was Siraj who showed the way Agasti gave us the breakthrough then second innings it was all Aghashti and yeah, credit to him, Like, it is never easy to go through such a personal turmoil and be out on the.
Speaker 2: Field to bowl with that intensity. There are going to be.
Speaker 6: Moments where your concentration might go here and there and you might go back home in your mind.
Speaker 2: But he did not, and that was the best thing of that performance. That throughout his life he has faced quite a bit.
Speaker 6: He's lost his father, he's lost his brother, moving from Bihar to Jarkund and then from Jarkun to Bengal where he's honed his craft. He's worked on under the guys like Mugish Kumar and Mohmatshami, all these guys they are also like now they're also looking from the outside at him and like trying to, you know, compete with him. Now he's gone level with those guys in terms of getting his team. So yeah, he has to be back and that is where I feel Gumbier should show that consistency.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, now I'm getting a core.
Speaker 6: I'm getting a nucleus of what my team will look like in test cricket going in the future. He said that with the ode eyes and the T twenty side, now it's time for him to set it with Test cricket and that's.
Speaker 2: Where he has to show consistency and.
Speaker 6: If he does, then probably all the haters become lovers again.
Speaker 2: Because turning critics into fans great.
Speaker 5: But now, yeah, you know also made a very good point on air that doesn't hold the ball tightly. He holds it with his fingers only so he can get that backspin and that causes the you know, extra seamee movement once the ball hits the same just and he was constantly hitting those cracks like on the fourth and the film day.
Speaker 2: I remember the dismissal of Harry Brook.
Speaker 6: I cannot stop laughing because he could not even I don't think he even saw the ball.
Speaker 2: He was left like I think he was. He got hit badly. He was limping.
Speaker 6: That was the worse side that apart from getting bold and you're getting your middle stem uprooted. I think that is the worst side that you could have and that he was served with.
Speaker 5: So yeah, but yeah, tell me now, isn't like Ken India drive home this advantage or do you see seeing him doing something crazier in the third and fourth Tests.
Speaker 7: You know from all the stories that I have been listening and reading after a testmatch, there's a lot of panic in the engliss room, especially with the bowling unit, because they have not been able to pick twenty wickets.
Speaker 2: So you think James Anderson will be back.
Speaker 7: No, They're going to back Gus Atkinson and Joe for Archer if Archer is fit, which they feel that he's fit. So I think they're going to change the nucleus of that bowling attack, and they should change the nucleus of the bowling attack.
Speaker 2: What about their batting, their batting eye boom and SA.
Speaker 5: Of course Sira's workload has to also to be monitored, something that needs to be monitored. How many can he play in this day because in Australia Bra was on and off and he bowled all through the five Tests. Yes he didn't play the Champions trophe and all that, but yeah, what about their batting, England's batting hand and Lord's pitch.
Speaker 2: I also.
Speaker 7: Listened to the England coach where he said he was talking about Bethel is sitting on the bench. He's an exciting prospective and bat number three number four. He can spin the ball and I think he'll do a better role as a spinner than what has been doing in last.
Speaker 2: Beef of the batting by bringing Bethel.
Speaker 7: But I think McCallum refused it completely. He said no, he will not replace. But even if he comes back, so I think they will make one batting change. Also, they will back him Stokes out Bethel in no, no.
Speaker 2: Not Ben Strokes.
Speaker 7: I think they will do it with someone like Jack Crawley or Olipop.
Speaker 2: Only.
Speaker 7: I don't think they will move because in the first chess he score is on it and he has done what he does in every series.
Speaker 2: Can open is it? I think he can can batter number it.
Speaker 6: Still has battered at number three. So if they are kicking out Zach Crawley, I think they'll have to go for a different See, this is the problem, like you don't have any specialist.
Speaker 5: You don't see there are two specialists. I'm giving you a simple solution. Bringing alistair cooked open still can do better everyone even then get James Anderson back, will if possible gets to a broad also back.
Speaker 2: That is what? Yeah? Then, but now are we taking them lightly? See?
Speaker 5: I still think that they will do something very wacky in the third Test and you know, smash some five hundred six runs.
Speaker 2: I have one point to make.
Speaker 7: I am not taking them lightly because it is their home conditions and they have been manufacturing pieces of going to their needs, which so I expect them. I expect them to go and win the lotsches. Okay, it will be an embarrassment for the great Ben Stokes, the aura full Benstrokes and the baseball in winter Benda mcaumy will lose a lot because all they have done is hide their team, do nothing, win nothing. They can't draw Test patches, they don't, they don't. They can chase three seventies against India when they're flat tracks and India drop catches mine in that had India taken catches in the first chest.
Speaker 2: Would have That's not their mistake.
Speaker 7: No, it's our mistake.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you.
Speaker 7: But this England team, they should ideally go and win the next Test match, even after whatever happened is the second Test, because it's their home ground and they have every everything in there.
Speaker 2: Because this seems settle tried.
Speaker 7: I think in twenty twenty two these two came together and since then they have been together.
Speaker 2: They got all the backing from Rob.
Speaker 7: Key, ECB, English media everyone, despite doing jack so they should win the nextest match and not taking them lightly. If they don't win it, it's a big embarrassment on the face of baseball. Mcca Stokes, rocky English media everyone.
Speaker 2: But what kind of pitch?
Speaker 5: Ellen do you think they'll offer a green terf or a similarly flat tac flat track.
Speaker 2: I don't know, somewhere in between.
Speaker 6: See it all depends on I think that combination of Cassattings and Jaffras are coming in.
Speaker 2: How fit are they? What is their levels?
Speaker 6: If a Jaffra is there, I think they're gonna put a spicy pitch a little more bounds that might be expected. But then again, you've got Boomera coming in. He's going to exploit that they have left themselves in a pickle where it's like that team needs to be for me personally.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of things that has to be solved. It's not the bowling.
Speaker 6: It's not that Bridon Cars did not bowl his heart out or a Josh Tungue did not bowl his heart out.
Speaker 2: Is the quality is not just there.
Speaker 6: You don't have that quality you put up Brydon Cars or a Josh rung out in subcontinent conditions, they're gonna get whacked everywhere they got so they got.
Speaker 2: Backed in England. Yeah, continent Bingham.
Speaker 6: You understand the element of risk that is going to be there when you have a Jaffa Archer coming back. How long has he not played Test cricket?
Speaker 2: Four years? Can he handle it? Because one first class match in between.
Speaker 6: Nineteen overs is not your criteria. That is what Ben Stokes is doing because he has had multiple injuries. This guy also has had similar injuries. You don't expect him to bold nineteen overs. In nineteen overs, he is not going to probably pick up six or seven wickets also, So it depends on what level Jaffra Archer is and on what level Gus Hattingson is. But both of them are coming from injuries. I don't know how they are going to mix it up. Because this Indian team is hungry. They can genuinely see that Okay, this is the time that we can drive the advantage in if, like how Surap said, if they lose a lot Stuss I genuinely don't see a way back for England because this Indian team can draw, they can drawmances. They will draw maces also, they will fightal the end to draw a match. But England cannot do that and that is where the problem lies.
Speaker 5: You know, I think they kind of thought that we'll give them flat tracks and outbit them. But after seeing what Supermann and Dshap did, and Jerry and all of them did in the second test, it was it's kind of a rude awakening for them. Like you now don't know what to do. If you provide a flat pitch, Gill is waiting. If you provide them a spicier pitch in London, you already can't handle spices, complain about it. You prepare a spicy pitch and see boomra and as deep on. If he gets this much movement on a flat pitch, imagine you're giving him a bit of grass help from the surface.
Speaker 7: And you what about a fish and chips pitch bits love fish and chips, right, you don't love spies, they don't love bland love What.
Speaker 2: What what would that pitch be? What would that pitch be like?
Speaker 7: So when England boring, it will help the bonus, the batters and the weather conditions, like Clouderson used to do as famously known as for all the all the you know, I'm not outing his he but people blamed him. Okay, So that is how they expect to win test matches. That's how they will try to win the Test matches because I don't see them having a potent unit which can out back the Indian side or on a flat track, or out of all the Indian side on a spicy track.
Speaker 5: You know, Like I was, I was thinking maybe this might be the end of the hype around basketball as and like England might be forced to rethink. Like Alan pointed out, they were thinking ahead to ashes, but a couple of these guys might not even get to you know, if this is like I remember Tim Pain saying you come to Gaba, We'll see you there, and As been telling him that you come to India and then saying, no, you might not even come to India.
Speaker 6: Like it's like you go to Australia. You have a problem with the spies here. You go to Australia, They're going to give you even more spies.
Speaker 5: And and you know, for for for England's sake, I hope Jeff Archer become becomes good and Gus Atkinson, you know, Archer is not easy bowling.
Speaker 2: Like he said, twenty Htkinson is their new jackals.
Speaker 6: Apparently that is what how he is hyped us the next all rounder. Yeah, this is where this is where the media has to stop. I think I saw this tweet by Piers Morgan saying that feed them like he somebody trolled him for whatever told him. He said, like field feed Jeffra these uh some I think he some cuss word he used.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like broke, like you.
Speaker 6: Feed Jeoffra if he's not one hundred person Truman and will take him down.
Speaker 2: That is what happened in the IBL. Also, first, who did who did it?
Speaker 7: Who remarked this in Britain? Is another joker, a big joker, and never take him seriously. No Wady takes him seriously.
Speaker 2: That is the whole point, Like you're bringing these guys back. Okay.
Speaker 6: Second, I was worried, oh Joffrah is back, Oh Boomera is not going to play. Then this team stood up. The captain stood up. Your captain is not standing up. Your captain is every single ball. I think I should go and bowl at him, try to get him out. He'll be like, oh my god, where is this waller who is this valler India's producing new bowlers.
Speaker 2: He'll lose that.
Speaker 5: Also, for J's sake, they can't do flat pitchers. Also, imagine that guy bowling on a flat pitch and he would say that, okay, I'm not playing Test cricket anymore if he gets a.
Speaker 2: Pitch like Tom.
Speaker 6: To be very honest, he should not be playing Test as well because he is just coming back. You're putting him in the deep end and unfortunately that deep end does not have a deep end.
Speaker 7: I mean, this guy played three or four IPL matches, he got injured. How do you expect him to play a whole Test match exactly?
Speaker 2: That is warm of for rashes and he probably bowl fires and walk away.
Speaker 7: And I don't know what England cricket team wants, but for the sake of Testate, for God's sake, please give U sporting which don't roll out flat tracks because it just does not look like good for any bowler, whether it be a British bowler or Indian bowler. You're just bowling your heart out no help from the pitch. The battles are recommending runs, don't shot in the boundaries. For God's sake, play normal Test if.
Speaker 5: You can post broad Anderson era Anderson has looked ordinary.
Speaker 2: This is done Foxes.
Speaker 6: I think what Jeffrey Boycott said. He does not have a cell. He's past his cell day.
Speaker 2: It's irish.
Speaker 5: Jeffrey Boycott comes to the committy box and watch his Stokes bat.
Speaker 2: He says he's rubish, absolute Rubi.
Speaker 7: He must be saying this on his in front of his TV skas because bassball is rubisi.
Speaker 2: This man can't bat neither in England nor India. And that is the whole whole thing.
Speaker 6: Like like you was pointed out, like how sir, we want sporting trucks right in a sporting track, in a where there's a good competition between bat and ball, there is going to be a good like two good teams. This whatever you might say about England, they have a style of style or whatever that has worked for them.
Speaker 5: In fact, it won't be bad if, say, if you prepare a good spicy pitch and you get India boldout for two eighty two ninety, which is probably might be a good score, but then one of them ticks. If Harry Brook takes smashes Boomer for a couple of success and then gets the rhythm, they might actually level the first ning score and go for the seconding shootout. I don't know why they were very timid in pro providing these pitches against this team.
Speaker 2: Maybe they should go for it. That's their only choice.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 6: Now I get the fact that, Okay, you want to drive your team's advantage, but you were underestimating the other team.
Speaker 2: That is what they did.
Speaker 6: I think the only thing they could catch at one point was Respon's bats bat flight here and there.
Speaker 2: They could not do anything else.
Speaker 6: They were completely on day for when that batting assault was happening. It was a proper assault. I was surprised that England did not have any ideas. I don't think there was. If Ruschapons would have got better connection on it, his bat would have gone for a six and the ball would have also gone for a six.
Speaker 2: That is what I felt.
Speaker 6: But apart from that, that England team, apart from those chances that they got, there was nothing in it for them. So why put your bowlers through that shame? Why put your bowlers through that shame where another guy almost quote two twin double hundreds against you? Why put your bowlers through that shame. They don't deserve it. Your batters are anyways crap. Apart from Joe Root and maybe Ben Ducket to an extent, Sacrawley always comes out he's a walking wicket. Might as well Sanchoi bashir there. Let him at a six and let's all rejoice, I guess than seeing this Sacrawley struggle.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I hope England are listening to this episode. And then you know, giving back in Lodge to both of you, especially one of you saying that Zach Crimestroms send you're questioning Harry Brooks's greatness.
Speaker 2: I don't know where it's going to.
Speaker 5: End, but quickly before we go any changes to this leven apart from Boom boomra is coming back in place of whom first tell me that.
Speaker 7: Any day you can't have the bowl of leaking runs.
Speaker 2: Or dressed sa for this match. What do you think?
Speaker 7: No, I don't want him to be rested.
Speaker 2: I want I want to see this trio work, and.
Speaker 7: I also want to leave to get a game. I don't lots is not the pitch to give me your eleven then, so my level is simple.
Speaker 1: I will have so.
Speaker 5: Say Lodge has a little more spicier pitch than this. So it's not a flat track. It's not a flat track.
Speaker 7: I make three changes again, a whole sort of changes that I have made in last test, also sitting in. Yeah, so kal jasull okay, Karen one more test to prove himself. Then Gil, then punt Jadeja, and then I will give I will give another chance. I will give you one more chance because I just want t is there. Then I'll bring in Leap in place of washing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Then i'll have a cash deep, I will have Boomera, and I will have Siraj and obviously is part of that playing. So you've made to changes, changes to change. I thought I will bring but no, that will short our batting it a lot. So give one more chances of it.
Speaker 6: I think I'll probably maybe I don't know, maybe give size chance instead of I think that is not.
Speaker 5: Just shopping and changing too much. If you do that, if the gold size version, you have to wait for your chances.
Speaker 2: Let him wait, get him.
Speaker 6: I don't I don't have a problem with Karen there being there. I think in that first inning he looked very good second in good.
Speaker 2: Slip catches, So let him be, let him be there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, keep Jess all away from all that, just tell jess All to bat you just bat rest will take care of things. I think that is pretty good. Apart from that, I don't I want.
Speaker 2: To see this.
Speaker 6: Uh uh yeah, unleash hell on England. If they crack under that trio, then good luck. The series might be done. Because the last two tests, I feel India can draw them and just take the win and.
Speaker 2: Go right rain rain Train will take care of Manchester.
Speaker 5: But for me, if it's a spicy pitch, if they leave grass on the day of the test, like two days before the test.
Speaker 2: Everybody leaves grass.
Speaker 5: But if there is going to be spice, I'll just make two changes boomera and place of press. Then I'll put washing out and bring us deep in. I don't want there because probably two spinners won't get you anything. So four pacers out and out pacers go for the killed if it's a spicy pitch. Otherwise I'll just make one change get in place of pressing. I'll still want to you know, just be safe with the batting for this test. Yes, should get his chance, but not.
Speaker 2: At lots what I think.
Speaker 5: I think also, if we are making these predictions, we should also open our listeners. And viewers to make their predictions, to get their views on what they thought about Supermann Gil at the start of the series and what they think of him now after two tests. And also are these two guys going overboard with their criticism of England and Bastball and Ben Stokes and the next gen King Vivian Richards harrybook. You can send me your thoughts on eight five double eight nine six, double ninety six. If you're listening to us on Spotify and Apple Podcast, please do rate us. And if you're watching us on YouTube, like we always say, please leave your comment. We'll be more than happy to learn your feedback. Thank you, have a great week, have a great Lot's Test.
Speaker 2: Thank you.