Speaker 1: Welcome aboard, Welcome to another Space City Saturday on Sports Talk seven ninety Dad Matthews Live and local h Town breakdown of the world that matters to you, the Houston sports world.
Speaker 2: All these great Houston fans here.
Speaker 3: We love you all, So finish up on that to do list.
Speaker 1: Slut up the cooler because you can't drink in talk sports all day if you don't start.
Speaker 4: Now bear me the eight. This is Space City Saturday. It's insane. Here's seven nineties Dad Matthews.
Speaker 5: Anyway, we go here from the Fertida Center on the campus of University of Houston. Later on today you're gonna get to the coves and the Iowa State cyclones coming your way over on at KPRC nine point fifty. But I'm here inside the jim Nantz Media Center inside for Tida Center. Dan Matthews here, Space City Saturday. We get going here and weatherwise, I mean, I can't think of a better place to be today than inside the Fortda Center because I mean it is yucky outside. I threw it out on Twitter yesterday that's I'm done with the cold weather. Like the cold weather has come and it's overstated. It's welcome I think we're all ready for it to take off and take a walk. So that's that's what we're dealing with here. But it is a good day to be able to sit inside, watch some basketball and see the Kougs try to pick up their twenty third win.
Speaker 2: Of the season.
Speaker 5: Twelve forty five is when the coverage over on KPRC nine to fifty is going to get going. But we are here, and if you follow us on Twitter and that's at Sports Talk seven ninety, you saw that I posted the pictures of both the game day bus but also to Jais Rhys Davis and the crew out there with ESPN on the court as I was coming to get settled in here in the Jim Nantz Media Center, but going to be a good game. A couple of more weeks of the regular season left, and a couple of weeks from now, U of H and the rest of the Big twelve going to be up in Kansas City for the conference tournament, and then before you know it, it's Selection Sunday and we get this thing going all over again and seeing if the Koogs can be able to finally capture the elusive national title. So we'll be talking a lot of U of H today here on the show.
Speaker 2: Might be joined at some.
Speaker 5: Time by Joseph d'Arte of the Houston Chronicle. He might drop by and talk a little bit of U of H with him, but he's busy with all the game day stuff happening right now. So that's going to be kind of a play it by ear programming note for you all over here on Sports Talk seven ninety. So we are actually going to be cutting at ten minutes early today because at eleven fifty that's when Robert Ford and the crew on the Astros Radio Network they're going to hit the air as the Astros starting off spring training action today.
Speaker 2: And it's going to be a split.
Speaker 5: Squad for the Astros, as you're going to have half the crew there in West Palm Beach and the other half is out in Port Saint Lucie taken on the Mets. But the crew that's going to be at Cacti Park of the Palm Beach is taking on the team that they share the spring training complex with the Washington Nationals, and of course going to have it right here on Sports Talk seven ninety, but also going to have it TV wise, so with our partners over at Space City Home Networks. So that's where the Astros will be today as they start their at twenty twenty five at campaign not in earnest that's going to be happening in about a month and a half when we get going at four excuse me, when we get going for the start of the season, as late in March is.
Speaker 2: When the season will get underway.
Speaker 5: So that's what we have with the Astros coming up a little bit later on. We'll be talking a lot of Astros here in the first hour, as you know, we ought to do here on Space City Saturday, because I mean, you know, it's the team that most of us here care about, but also, I mean, just so many things to talk about with this team, whether it's Jose Altuve out in left field, whether it's roster spots to be one Brendan Rodgers being added. And also going to let you hear from a couple of the newest Astros a little bit later on in the show, as Christian Walker had a chance to sit down with Matt Thomas and Ross phil Reale out in West Palm Beach earlier this week. So we're gonna have that for you and we'll be getting into a lot of astros talk as the show goes along.
Speaker 2: You know what we do around here.
Speaker 5: You get involved on the phone lines if you want to someon one three, two, one two five seven ninety is the number to get in on the phone lines. You can also get at me on Twitter if you don't want to put the voice behind it on the phone lines, that's fine, Hey, no worries about it. I'll you know, interact with you on Twitter as well. And I'm at Dan Matthews. Hou is where you can find me at Dan Matthews. Hou is where you can get at me on the Twitter spheres.
Speaker 2: So that's from there. But also too, we're.
Speaker 5: Five minutes into the show, hadn't even mentioned what happened over at Toyota Center last night as a game you heard right here on Sports Talk seven to ninety Rockets with a six point win over the Minnesota Timberwolves one twenty one fifteen. Nice night from Jalen Green thirty five points out of him. Also, you know along the away in the game, Alprin Shingoon twenty four points, thirteen rebounds, yet another double double before the All Star.
Speaker 2: On the Rockets roster.
Speaker 5: And it was also the return of Jabari Smith Junior played the most minutes.
Speaker 2: Out of you know, most of the guys on the floor last night.
Speaker 5: Well actually Jalen Green edged him out by a minute, but thirty eight minutes off the bench.
Speaker 2: So no restrictions out.
Speaker 5: Of Jabari Smith Junior since coming back from the broken finger, and fifteen points out of him, nine rebounds, couple of assists, and also had a block shot in the game. Did turn the basketball over five times, but still plus twelve in the plus minus category, so good to have him back in the fold. Still no Fred van Vliet though for the Rockets. They're trying to get him up back here in short order. And you know, we played yesterday on the A team. You might have heard it Tom Haverstrow who covers the NBA, talking about teams that could possibly make a deep run in the playoffs, and he said the Rockets, because he threw out the numbers.
Speaker 2: They're what thirty and thirteen?
Speaker 5: I believe when you have both Shingoon and Fred van Vliet on the floor and they're four and eight without them, well now they're five and eight because they won last night without one of the two on the floor, but having Shingoon out there.
Speaker 2: Was very nice.
Speaker 5: And you know, I think another guy that deserves some kudos for his performance last night Aaron Holiday. The eighteen minut he gave you off the bench ten points out of him. But he may Udoka first game out of the All Star Break going a little bit of a tighter rotation at two. As you know, really it was only a Smith junior and also Holiday as the guys that got the bulk of the minutes off the bench, as you only got seven minutes out of Jayshaun Tate and five out of Steven Adams, so most of the guys on the floor playing a good amount of the minutes in the game.
Speaker 2: And you know, you.
Speaker 5: Get Tarry Easton who will probably be down for tonight up in Utah. And as the Rockets a back to back, which, by the way, can we pick a bone here?
Speaker 2: Really quick? Permission to do that? Whose bright idea was.
Speaker 5: It with the NBA to have the first two games out the gate out of the All Star break for the Rockets be a back to back, and not only a back to back, but a home and road back to back. Like where's the common sense here? Like how about like have you know the Rockets and Jazz playing in Houston tonight as opposed to you know, I mean, if you're going to do it back to back, that's fine, but you know, make it consistent right out of the break.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, have have it either be home and home or road and road. I mean, you know, who would have.
Speaker 5: Really complained last night if the Rockets, say had opened up the All Star break in Phoenix and then tonight you know, playing in Utah or even in Denver and then you know, the same deal there.
Speaker 2: So that's just what I can't understand.
Speaker 5: But anyway, it's going to be a late one out there in Utah, and the Jazz are one of the you know, the lowly teams in the NBA. So the Rockets are definitely hoping that they can be able to pick up two quick wins right out of the gate, and we'll see if they are able to do that. So again, that's coming your way a little bit later on tonight. And you know, it's a full sports schedule here today for us here on Sports Talk seven ninety, but not only with US, but also over on KPRC nine fifty is another place that you can be able to to catch some of the action. Today, So a full slate across the board tonight, and not only with the Rockets, but also to with you know, ut basketball coming your way a little bit later on, which by the way, that's gonna be over on KPRC nine to fifty as well. So just to kind of run through what we have here on our stations today. As I mentioned the Astros coming your way here in about an hour and a half, eleven fifty is when that's gonna get started them taking on the Nationals there in West Palm Beach. And then I mentioned the Koog's game that they're gonna be taken on at Iowa State that's coming your way at twelve forty five, and that's gonna be over on KPRC nine to fifty. Same deal with the South Carolina and Texas basketball game coming your way a little bit later on.
Speaker 2: And the Rockets and Jazz.
Speaker 5: I'll get you started with Rockets launch pad coming your way at seven point thirty, so we'll have that and then get you into the game. And as I mentioned, hopefully the Rockets are able to pick up a good win there on the road. But it was good to see them back on the floor last night. I mean looked like a rested and refreshed team. I don't think anybody can dispute that, because I mean, this was a team that was scuffling in the worst way going into the All Star Break, and I mean, you had that awful game against the Golden State Warriors and you had to he meet U Dooka after the game saying, yeah, you know, some guys looked like they probably you know, we're already at the All Star break, paraphrasing him, of course, but still, I mean, this was a team that was, you know, struggling mightily, not only with injuries, but just with poor play, a lot of turnovers, just poor basketball really, and all of a sudden able to take that time away from the floor, get refreshed and rested and now back out there and thirty five in twenty one on the season, so trying to improve that mark. Fred van Vliet already out for tonight's game for Utah Collins Sex in his game time decisions. We'll see what happens with them. But I mean, this is a Jazz team that only has thirteen wins on the season. But as we found out though, during that rough stretch, the Rockets had where they went two and seven in their last nine games before last night. I mean, you know, there were a couple of games in there against the Brooklyn Nets, and the Brooklyn Nets are about the same as the Utah Jazz. So I think that probably the messaging inside the locker room before the game tonight is don't take these guys lightly. They want to be able to, you know, mess up the good thing that you have going right now. So this is the stretch that the Rockets really need. I mean, you know, you're gonna be taken on the Jazz quite a few times here in the later you know, parts of the season, and the Rockets, of course trying to get even up further into the Western Conference standings. Is currently right now, there's a game ahead of the Lakers for the four spot and the Western Conference there are two games back of the Denver Nuggets, and also two games back of the team that's in their own Division two as well, the Memphis Grizzlies, as they do have the season series over the Grizzlies, so even if you finish up the regular season tied with Memphis, you get that spot ahead of them. So, I mean, you know, it's one of those things and I was thinking about it this morning. I mean, this is so important for the Rockets to get either the two or the three, because I think if they get either of those, they have a pretty clear path to be able to get to the Western Conference. I mean, you know, you've got the Minnesota Timberwolves there in the play and round. I mean, that's a dangerous team. The Mavericks starting to play good basketball two as well, so you got to see what happens with those group of four, with the Warriors and Kings also in there, and you've got the Stuns lurking, and I mean, I guess you could say even without Victor Wimbenyama, the Spurs aren't too far behind. But still, I think that probably concern yourself more with the first few teams that I mentioned there that are currently seven through ten. But you know, it's also too, I mean, a different conversation that we're having about the Rockets right now than we've had in past years.
Speaker 2: So that's a good thing.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, to be able to talk about a team that's in playoff contention, it's not something that we've had the last few years. I mean, we had it a little bit last year, but still I think that most of us probably were looking at and saying, yeah, you know, playing around, that'd be nice. But if it doesn't happen, well, at least you had a marked improvement in a huge step forward from what you've been the previous year. Is when you're in the middle of phase one of that rebuild, and now the rocket's trying to be able to take the second phase even up further. And I guess the third phase would be making the playoffs. So hopefully they are on the doorstep of doing that. But as I mentioned, we're gonna be a lot of astros here in the first hour of the show. You want to get in on that conversation, you can do so. Sub one three two one two five seven ninety. Once again, that's sub one three two one two five seven ninety. And once again, like I said, I am here inside the jim Nantz Media Center, inside the Fortita Center on the campus University of Houston is the Koubes taking on the Iowa State cyclones. A little bit later on today again over on KPRC nine fifty twelve forty five, that's when that coverage of the game and a one o'clock tip here inside the Fortida Center, So looking forward to seeing some good basketball this afternoon and also to some good basketball tonight. Just talking about the Rockets there for a second, so we'll get into them as the show goes along. And also too, as we've been talking about the past couple of days here the Texans in the stadium situation, that's fair game as the show rolls along. So if you got some thoughts on that, absolutely throwing my way. We we'll chop that up too if you want to do that. So all of that is at your veil again the number sev one three two one two five, seven ninety.
Speaker 2: As we're just.
Speaker 5: Getting started here on Space City Saturday. But coming up next the Astros conversation. The criticism of this guy is something that I just really cannot understand, and I think you'll know what I'm talking about on the other sides. We'll do that right here on Space City Saturday, on your home of the Astros and the Rockets, Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: It's Space City Saturday on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 5: Sports Talk seven ninety, Space City Saturday, live here inside jim Nance Media Center, that's the Fertida Center you've h taken on Iowa States at one o'clock today again twelve forty five, when we're gonna get started with the game coverage over on KPRC nine point fifty. Astros also going to be on your radio today right here, Sports Talk seven ninety so Robert Ford, Steve Sparks and the crew calling the Astros and the Nationals there from the Cacti Park of the Palm Beaches in West Palm Beach. And I mentioned too, it's a split squad action as it seems like most of the veterans that are likely going to be breaking camp on the twenty six man roster, it seems like they made the trip over to Port Saint Lucy to take on the Mets today as Channel Rome posting the lineup for that one, so we'll see who's going to be behind Ryan Gusto, who gets the start today for the Astros there in West Palm Beach. So that's where spring training action gets going. And speaking of the Astros, want to get into that conversation here again if you want to weigh in, and I think after I throw out this topic you probably will want to way in. Someone three two, one, two five seven ninety is the number to get in on the phone lines. What's what the criticism of Dana Brown Like, I really, just for the life of me, can't understand why people are, at least a section of Astros fans are so dissatisfied with the Astros GM. I mean, from our perspective, the media perspective, I don't think you can ask for a better guy on the job. He does his weekly visit, which not a ton of gms do as so we're able to have him every week over on the Sean Salisbury Show, and pretty much anytime you see him there behind the batting cage or you know, on the field before a game, if you've got a question for him, he's willing to applo you on that. And again that's not what a ton of GMS do. I mean, you'll even have some guys that you've got to go through the team, they'll avoid you do all of those different types of things, and I mean it's pretty much a you know, impossible feat in its own right to be able to track down an executive of a team and then finally you get them, and you know, maybe it's not necessarily the answers that you're hoping to get.
Speaker 2: So that's from that perspective, but it's also too.
Speaker 5: I mean, he did have some huge shoes to fill when he took over the job.
Speaker 2: Jeff Luno.
Speaker 5: It's undeniable the job that he did when he was in charge of that part of the team. I mean, you got a world championship, probably two of them, because of the vision and the execution that he put into the job. And then James Click able to do the same thing. Some of the great trades that he made. I mean, you don't have yinor Dias in your lineup right now without James Click pulling off a trade that all it cost you was Miles Straw going to the Cleveland Guardians, and in return you got philm Maton, who gave you some good things on the mound while he was here in an Astros uniform. And obviously, janer Dia is a guy that is trending to be an All Star at some point in his career, one of the better hitting catchers in the game right now. So that was a nice pickup. But I mean it is also something that I think Dana Brown gets blamed for that's not necessarily his fault. And one thing that I saw somebody point out is somebody said, oh, it was the unrealistic hope that he was giving Astros fans that they were going to bring back Alex Bregman. We must be listening to two different Dana Brown's than in that regard, because I think, if anything, he was tamping down expectations that Alex Bregman would be back here at some point this season. As a matter of fact, the point that I brought up with that person who brought it up on Twitter is I said, I was at the media event at the Astros throw every year before they head out to West Palm Beach for spring training, and he was talking about Alex Bregman in the past of saying, when you lose a guy like Tucker and Bregman, I mean that should have been the giveaway right there of Hey, guess what, despite any effort, we're not going to have number two in an Astros uniform going forward. Estakpretis is our third baseman now, like get used to it, get to know it, and that's the way the situation is going to be going forward. But it's also too from the efforts of Dana Brown. Why I think he's done a fantastic job as the Astros GM of the draft, and I've told you what his strategy is for the draft, and it's very similar to the way that he handled things when he was in Atlanta with the Braves. And this is a strategic approach of draft up the middle. Draft catchers, draft a lot of pitchers, draft center fielders. And with that last part right there, it is a situation where you're looking for roster versatility. At that point, you can draft a guy that comes out of high school or college and they're a middle endfielder, they're a center fielder, and you can put some weight on them. Put him over at third base, put him, you know, over at first base, put him in right field, put him in left field. You know, just be able to have that chance to be able to, you know, move them along as they go through the minor league system, playing different positions, and you know, therefore, when you get him up to the major league level, they're not just a guy that's played one position their entire life. There's somebody that you know, is Joe Aspota looks at his lineup card is able to say, Okay, I can plug that guy out and right I can plug him out in left field, and you know, a guy that's a shortstopper a second basement and mostly you know, shortstops is what he goes with there. But I mean, you know, being able to create some sort of versatility all throughout the minor league system and the elephant in the room, I think when it comes to Dana Brown.
Speaker 2: Is what he had to do when he took over this job.
Speaker 5: I mean the two off season signings that the Astros had made, not through him, but through somebody that was the acting GM at the time.
Speaker 2: I mean, Brown finally.
Speaker 5: Came along and when he gained the trust of Jim Crane said we're not going to Grin and Barrett with these guys on the field anymore. You know, Raffael Montero, he's not getting it done. We're going to DFA And they brought him back and they have him in the minor league system and we'll see if he's able to break camp this year. But money be damned, I mean, you need to win ball games when it's all said and done. You need to be able to throw strikes and get outs on the mound, and that's not what he was able to do.
Speaker 2: And then the same deal with you know, Joseah bray you.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think the Astros tried their best, but they finally got to a point where they just said, yeah, this just isn't working. We wish you the best, and if you get back in the Major League baseball, well, you know, hopefully you're able to figure some things out. But with your advanced age and you know, just the swing looking like it's slowing down, all those different things, we just don't see a path that this is going to get any better. And we'll just eat the money and go from there. And that's the part of all of this that I think that people are hung up on is thinking that this last offseason the Astros took the cheaper approach of trying to build this team. Well, I mean, for starters, they had to because of where they are against the competitive balance tax. Also too, I mean for the money that you already have on the books having you know, you're sending out money by trading away Ryan Presley and that creates a huge need in the back end of the bullpen. But I mean it's also for all of the criticism that he had last year for how can you trade Joey loperfdo Will Wagner and the crew that you sent up to Toronto for a rental for you, say, Kakuchi, Well, the Astros don't win the West last year without you, say Kakuchi, that's number one. That's for starters, And I mean, you don't make that deal. You're probably talking about the Seattle Mariners winning the West and the Astros not even getting to the wild Card round to lose to the Detroit Tigers. That would have been Detroit taking on Seattle at that point, so you know, the streak of making it to the postseason winning the Ale West that would have been out the window. So he knew that a move had to be made. Time he did what was needed to be able to make the move. And while it hurt to see Loperfdo go away, you know, at the same time, I mean, you know you're you're not putting yourself in position to compete for the Aos. So I had zero issues with that. But the flip side of it widely lauded for what he got in return for Kyle Tucker. I mean, I think, if anything, it was a even better trade for him in that regard of what you get in return of now your top prospect. Cam Smith also to Kyle Tucker, you know, was going to be in a walk here as is, and I mean you had a slim to none chance with Alex Bregman being able to bring him back this year, you had no chance at being able to bring back Kyle Tucker next year. And Dana Brown went against what the Astros norm has been for players in a walk here. Usually in the past it's been now, let's let it ride and then we'll see what happens in the offseason. He knew without a shadow of a doubt. Okay, kind of like we talked about with the Yusai Kakuchi trade, that the Astros can compete this year and they can win with Kyle Tucker. But then after that, what are we talking about. You're having to try to supplement through trades and also through free agency with one less trade chip going forward, and while you have them under club control, go ahead and get the most you can right now. And that's what they decided to do. And you're able to, as I mentioned, get Smith back. You're able to get a guy that plays really well to Dyke in Park in East Okperetis, who has great pull power and somebody that people believe playing in that ballpark this year could be a thirty plus home run guy in an Astros uniform. And also to getting Hayden was Nesky, I mean somebody they feel pretty good about, you know, being able to go through the pitching program that the Astros have with Josh Miller and the crew over there that have been able to have a reclamation project or two during their time in the Astros systems. So I mean fantastic trade right there, going out and finally getting a solid first baseman, something the Astros have not had since twenty twenty two when Julie Guriol was last in an Astro's uniform. I mean, you had some good things in twenty three, you know, later on the season from a bray you, but then you had an absolute hole over there last year. I mean, you liked what John Singleton was able to give you at times, but you're not a postseason contender with John Singleton over at first base.
Speaker 2: And it was something that kind of surprised.
Speaker 5: Me a little bit when they went out and got Christian Walker, because I thought with all the money they had tied up in a bray you over there, that they were just going to say, hey, let's kind of platoon it for one more year, and then the following year we'll make a run at it. So I mean, without seeing what the free agency crop is out there, I think that they probably looked at it and said, yeah, it's not gonna be that great next year, so let's go ahead and lock up our guy now, and we'll be able to go from there with you know, having a good solid first basement over there. So for all the moves that he's made and for all the messes he's had to clean up, I think that if nothing else, I mean, you know, it's one of those things too. When I brought this up with wex off the air, Adam Wexler, you know, he had said, okay, well, let's also look at it as if he hadn't done anything, like you know, how how would people look at Dana Brown? And I said, I think they look at him just fine. I mean, I think if nothing else, he's been able to find good fines out there in players, and you know also too, I mean, I think the most recent example is a guy that's been a two to sixty plus hitter his entire career and a Gold Glove winner that you were able to get on a one year deal earlier this week in Brendan Rodgers, and I understand what his splits are at Corsfield. Away from Corsfield, all of that, that's fine, But look at the Astros track record of being able to bring guys in, get them through their system, get them with their hitting coaches, the analytics, everything else that they've been able to put forth with players in the past and seeing the results. I mean, a few years ago you traded for a little known utility player from the San Francisco Giants and Mauricio Dubon and now he's become really kind of one of the cornerstones of your team going forward, and you were fully prepared before adding Rodgers to have him likely be the every day, almost every day second basement with Al Twove out in left field. So I think he's done a fantastic job. I mean, I know that he's got some detractors, and I mean, being a GM in any sport is one of the most thankless jobs known to man, because it's kind of like quarterback and football. You can throw four four touchdown passes in a game, but you throw that interception late, that's what everybody's gonna remember about you. And I mean it's kind of the same thing that executives in any of the major sports have to deal with, and you know, Dana Brown's not excluded from that.
Speaker 2: So I get all of that.
Speaker 5: But I mean, if you're looking for perfection out of the job, I don't think you're ever gonna find that. I think you're gonna be sadly disappointed. So been very pleased with the work of Dana Brown during his time with the Astros. Again, if you want to get in on the phone lines, you can do so Sebone three two one two five seven ninety. Once again, that's Sebon one three two one two five seven ninety. As I mentioned earlier this week, Matt and Ross were out in West Palm Beach. They had a chance to catch up with many members of the Astros organization, Dana Brown, Joe a spot up. But coming up next, we're gonna hear their conversation they had with Christian Waller has mentioned him as being one of the newest Astros added over the off season. Really good conversation out of a guy that I think is going to become a clubhouse leader for this team. So we'll hear from him coming up next, right, here on at Space City Saturday. Is again Dan Matthews here at the Fetida Center inside the Jim Nance Media Center. By the way too, before we go to break, shout out to Jeff Conrad and the U of H sid department here.
Speaker 2: Jeff's a consonant pro and.
Speaker 5: He has treated us really well over the years and able to set us up here today inside the Nance Media Center. So appreciate that and always want to give a shout out to JC whenever have a chance. So we'll here from Christian Walker next right here on Space City Saturday, as that's.
Speaker 2: Coming your way.
Speaker 5: Right here, Dan Matthews here on your home of the Astros and the Rockets, Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Exact Space City Saturday on Sports Talks.
Speaker 2: Space City Saturday.
Speaker 5: Jeez, roll along here from the Fortita Center again a little bit later on today Houston taking on Iowa State. Dan Matthews here inside the Jim Nance Media Center and college game day happening out there. So while we hear from Christian Walker, might head out there and see what's happening out on the floor inside for Tita Center. Is a lot of exciting stuff here and also to Astros Baseball, coming your way an hour from now is when we will start the coverage from there in West Palm Beach between the Astros and the Nationals.
Speaker 2: But speaking of.
Speaker 5: Christian Walker, we're gonna hear from him right now, the newest Astro on a new three year deal to play first base, and the early returns from Joe Aspata and everybody have been incredibly positive.
Speaker 2: I think you really enjoy this visit that he had with.
Speaker 5: Matt Thomas and Ross Villarrial where the conversation started with the guys asking Christian, hey, you know, a little bit of an interesting offseason for you.
Speaker 2: What was different about this one?
Speaker 3: Definitely quiet periods and and crazy periods of the off season. Fortunately, we had a little bit of leverage coming in, so I wasn't too worried about, you know, if if somebody was gonna call, It was just a matter of finding the right fit and the place that that I wanted to play.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 3: There's not a lot of chances and opportunities in the business side of things these days to get.
Speaker 6: To pick where you play.
Speaker 3: Yeah, try to pick a place where you want to play. So so we were we wanted to use that to our advantage, and you know, Arizona was great, but but it was pretty far from home for us. We live in South Carolina, so so going into the off season, my wife and I had Houston circled. It was a city that we were excited to be a part of and just super pumped when when the front office reached out.
Speaker 7: And what's it been like for you getting here, getting acclimated obviously first full team workout here today, but from the outside looking in and now kind of being here for a little bit, getting to know the guys that the the Astros.
Speaker 2: It's the club clubhouse, he feel for you. Yeah, it's great.
Speaker 3: It's uh, you can tell winning is is at the forefront. But in the same sense, you know, at this time of the year, it's just getting back into the swing of things, and it's it's a pretty lighthearted attitude.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 3: You know, you see guys working hard and getting their reps in, but also you know, joking around and having fun. It's it's a it's a good time of year. We're all we're all got the itch after a long off season and uh, you know, being being back in the good weather and playing playing baseball again is what we want.
Speaker 8: Did Judy recon about the astros An organization when you knew they were on the short list for yourself.
Speaker 3: A little bit, a little bit other than the obvious things. You know, it's it's cool, uh, you know, meeting a guy like Bagwell, getting to have some conversations with him, how much pride he has for this organization. And you know, he said something today he's been wearing this this uniform since nineteen ninety so so here and hearing little things like that really reminds you of the culture and uh, you know, the the winning tradition.
Speaker 8: Three straight gold gloves for yourself. First of where are they? I mean, do you have them in your at the house? Or where where can I find the gold glove of yours?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're they're in the house. I have a little workout room upstairs with some some gears, some bats that I've had signed by guys and some teammates, and and they're in there, you know, on the on the.
Speaker 2: The trophy rack if you will. Who was your first baseman idol growing up? That's a good question.
Speaker 3: So I didn't actually start playing first base until college. Growing up, high school, middle school, I was I was in infielder, but mostly third base.
Speaker 2: You know, I loved watching Scott Roland. He was he was my guy.
Speaker 3: I got a chance. I was a Phillies fan growing up, so he came through Philly and and you know, watching him was was a lot of fun. And then and then Ryan Howard. You know that that first year he had that rookie year, broke onto the scene and that was that was a lot of fun to watch too.
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 6: I was in high school for that.
Speaker 2: When we were growing up, and probably you as well.
Speaker 8: A lot of the first basemen were big stye guys.
Speaker 2: Just find a place for him. First of all.
Speaker 8: I grew up watching Jeff Bagwell, so I knew there was intricacies to it, uh, Juligiel before a couple of years before your same situation. The art of playing first base, thankfully, I think is no longer just put.
Speaker 2: The fact out there.
Speaker 8: It's a skill holding runners on fielding your position. Well, tell me the biggest adjustment for you going from the left side of the to the right side of the infield and being able to say, yeah, I want to own this part of the field.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 3: I think what helped me was was playing on the other side of the enfield at one point and knowing what it's like to feel like you have to make a perfect throw, feel like you got to hit somebody in the chest over there for them to make the play. And you know, I pride myself on not being that guy. I want to be somebody that, you know, my shortstop can lay out in the hole and come up and throw from his knees and know that if he gets it close, we're going to make the out. That that always helped me as an infielder, know when I had somebody over there. So you know, that's something that's important to me playing first base.
Speaker 8: Now, Grescer Walker, newest Houston astro with us here on the radio program.
Speaker 2: Very excited that you came here because.
Speaker 8: We were all anxious about what's going to happen with Alex and figuring out with Kyle and whatnot. When you finally signed on the dotted line. Tell me what it was like trying to find your teammates, know what was going to be there, and honestly, this infield is going to be completely different. How long do you think it's gonna take? And is there gonna be a magic day that you're go all right?
Speaker 3: We as a collective group know what we're doing in here now, it's hard to pick a data. I think I think Tony Perry's cheek is gonna do a great job of making sure we get quality reps out there together. I think practicing fast is important. Yeah, you know, feeling out, feeling out each other's range and and you know, like something little like knowing that you know, Juban is such a great arm Uh. But but trying to figure out his arm action. Does he does he cut it? Does he does he does he throw it clean? You know, is it is it a true ball? Does it have armside? You know, everybody has the has their tendencies. So so it's, uh, it's fun to get to know, you know, some new really really good infielders. How long can that take to get used to in that climation this time of the year, it happens pretty quick. It's uh, it's never really a struggle. It's just you know, before we know it here, we're gonna have hundreds of ground balls together and you know, hundreds of double plays that we've turned on the backfield. So it happens quick, i'd say, here, and you know, about a week or so, we you all start feeling pretty comfortable with each other.
Speaker 8: You have a lot left in your career, But once the clock turns thirty and beyond, did you have to adjus getting ready for this season, getting maybe a little sooner as compared to maybe when you're in your twenties coming up in the game.
Speaker 2: I mean, yes, I know.
Speaker 3: I think there's there's a side of it where the more time you spend around the game, the more you know yourself and you know your routine and you know what you need to be ready for a season. Sprint trainings, it can be. It can be a long amount of time and it can be short.
Speaker 2: It's a right.
Speaker 3: It's like some years you feel like you just you're not clicking. You're not clicking, and then all the opening day comes and it's it's it's it's lightning, and and then other years it's like by ten at bats in you feel like you're in a good spot and you could go to opening Day the next day. So it's you know, the the the age or anything like that. That's that's that's nothing that's on my radar. My body feels good. I spend a decent amount of time in the weight room. It's something that I pride myself on It's it's helped me stay on the field for a while, so, you know, feeling strong, feeling feeling ready to go and looking to looking forward to playing a lot of games.
Speaker 8: Your overall thoughts about playing it at what Dyke and Park now you've been there obviously a few times over your career.
Speaker 3: Very excited. I like the dome field. I think that's cool. I think I think the consistency in the environment, knowing you know that the weather in Houston and the rain I'm sure, I'm sure it can come as in quick and the humidity and all that. So knowing if there's a home game we're playing, that mental uh, just just knowing what to expect, getting into a routine. You know, there's there's nothing like waking up on a gloomy day and trying to figure out if there's going to be a delay or if you're hitting VP on the field and this and that. So so I'm looking forward to that. And then you know, the fans. It's something that's always stuck out to me coming in as a visiting team, is playing in front of the fan base.
Speaker 7: What was your conversation's been like so far with Joe's Spott because I mean, as you know, first base was in flux for the last couple of years. Now you like, give you a big hug, say, I'm happy to put you at first base every day. Any conversation is also about DG and can.
Speaker 2: You play left field? Yeah, we're trying to figure out leftover man. The mother wants to play left field.
Speaker 3: Of Parlan and I actually coming up with a few different teams. There was a lot of really good first basement in front of me, so I have played left field.
Speaker 6: Oh that's glare.
Speaker 2: We got funks head.
Speaker 3: Here we go, hopefully when you just started a controversy and see it because it's not it's not pretty out there, no, I mean, I mean d H and cool like if that's something where you know, it's a way to maybe take a day and and and get the legs back under me. But but honestly, I like to be out in the field. I think it helped me stay in the routine offensively and you know, stay moving, and it's it's something that I've I've just grown up doing. I enjoy I enjoy being out in the field for sure, But but yeah, I think I think there's something too, uh coming in and feeling valued. You know that that makes you excited to play and makes you excited to prove everybody, everybody right, You know that the standards are real, the expectations are real, and it's it's something that that you crave as as a big leaguer. You want do you want somebody to put pressure on you and and you have to go out and prove it. So you're South Carolina or native Yeah, no, no, no, I grew up grew up at just tell Us out of Philly.
Speaker 8: Oh gonna say, because I was like, you have no accent whatsoever. You have a Philly accent, of a South Carolina accent, none of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, they've they've both kind of disappeared. I I went to school there obviously, and and just fell in up with the area and never left. But grew up just outside of Philly, the.
Speaker 2: Same city as Mike Piazza and Gino Arima. Do your research, Matt, Come on, yeah, Telly, let's sort it by the way. We know, we know you. We know your dog's names too. Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: What was it Dottie and uh Jack Jackson, Millie Millie we had we had there's a cat. Oh, Okay, yeah, she's she's a she belongs to the neighborhood.
Speaker 2: Oh really, the neighborhood cat. Yeah, she's just so under.
Speaker 8: What part of South Caroln do you in Columbia itself or.
Speaker 3: We do just north of Columbia. We're like, we're like fifteen minutes from campus.
Speaker 8: So can you walk around town in cognito or do you do?
Speaker 2: People stuck at the grocery store.
Speaker 3: They they they recognized me for sure, But it's it's it's more from the game Cock days than from pro ball. The braves of the team there, so so everybody knows knows.
Speaker 2: The game Cocks more than more than that.
Speaker 8: Did they realize how many home aren't you hit in the last five years?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Arizona. Arizona was cool. It's a crazy thing getting recognized. It's humbling and all that. But but back home in South Carolina, it's it's mostly from the from the national championships.
Speaker 8: Okay, uh As, I've never been to talk Kilana apparently quite an experience. I mean for football basketball, the women's team never loses.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know that's all about.
Speaker 8: Yeah they did, they did any s SEC smack talk in the clubhouse at this point, not.
Speaker 3: Yet, not yet.
Speaker 6: I'm sure.
Speaker 3: I'm sure it'll start once, especially when football season starts back up, but but nothing, nothing so far.
Speaker 8: Well, we're very happy to have you here. Such a nice surprise when you came here. I mean, I mean, we're anxious, but this is.
Speaker 2: Kind of new to us.
Speaker 8: We we've known Briggs, we've known you you'rely Goarly a couple of years ago, and we've had JV and Kyle Tucker. This is, uh, you're actually coming on at a bad time because I think they're all your teammates trying to figure out what the.
Speaker 2: Vibe is going to be right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, it's a it's a fun time. It's it's uh, you know, guys, guys come and go. It's it's part of the business side of things. Unfortunately, you know, you never want to lose guys, especially people who you know, we're staple in the lineup and a part of a lot of successful years. But I think there's a there's a cool opportunity about that of being able to keep the success going with a different group of guys, different responsibilities, different roles. And so far the clubhouse has been great and I'm looking forward to, you know, Continuing to.
Speaker 8: Metch, he alluded to the DH for let you run. Do you like the DH once in a while to get off your feet a little bit? Or is that you just I need to be at I'm in the lineup. I need to be at first base.
Speaker 3: So I mean, I would much rather be at first base. But I would rather be in the lineup than not at all. A full day off, yeah, period, So you know, if that's a way to get some at bats and help the team on days where you know, maybe we're trying to rest up the legs or something like that, for sure, very very interested in something like that. But but if it was my call, I'd be at first every day.
Speaker 5: There you go, Christian Walker joining Matt Thomas and Rossville Reale earlier this week there in West Palm Beach.
Speaker 2: So good stuff from him.
Speaker 5: And if you miss any of that conversation with Christian Walker, you can of course check it out on the new and improved Free iHeartRadio app where of course you can have us as a pre set there, the fast forward function, all of those different types of things whenever you're listening to podcasts, whether with us here on Sports Talk seven ninety or any of our iHeart Radio properties that are on there, you can be able to do that. I mean this thing I'm telling you for my money and a guy that listens to a lot of podcasts is about as good a medium as you're going to find in terms of being able to get everything that you want.
Speaker 2: And we pretty much have everything on there.
Speaker 5: So you want some good music, bingo right there for you on the free, new and improved iHeart Radio app. All right, coming up next the Astros outfield situation, some massive question marks and all three spots. We'll dive into that as we close out the first hour. Also to if it's not here, coming up next maybe even the next hour, Joseph d'orte from the Houston Chronicle. I think it's going to stop by and join us for a few minutes, so look forward to being able to catch up with him. As again we are live here at the Fertida Center as the kop is going to take on Iowa State a little bit later on this afternoon, as we'll continue to move along here on Space City Saturday, Dean Matthews here on your home of the Astros and the Rockets Sports Talks seven ninety.
Speaker 1: We now return to Space City Saturday on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 5: Talks seven ninety Dan Matthews here live at the Fertida Center. As a couple of hours from now, you of h and Iowa State cann be taken on each other here inside the Fratida Center and we will have that over on kPr C in nine point fifty. Is the crew put it on that broadcast at twelve forty five and full sight of games today across not only here but over on KPRT nine fifty as well as mentioned exactly an hour from now, it's gonna be Astros baball hitting here and spring training acting.
Speaker 2: It gets under one of.
Speaker 5: The guys trying to fight for a spot on this team. A little bit of bad news this morning. I mean, you're gonna have injuries in there during spring training. Usually it's mostly on the pitching side, as we've found out with Caleb Boards, also with Sean Duban and even the guys too who are trying to make their way back and a Lance McCullers and also Luis Garcia. But Taylor Tremmel running the bases yesterday strained his right calf and the club says he's going to be out for a while, so we'll see what happens with him trying to make this club. But he's a guy that's trying to vie for some playing time in that outfield this year for the Astros. That without Kyle Tucker. Oh, let's call it.
Speaker 2: What it is.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, you think you know what you have in Chas McCormick out there in right field. But the problem is last year was a little bit of a concern for you where you're kind of like, oh man, did the league catch up with him and he just wasn't able to make the adjustment, but able to make some adjustments over the off season.
Speaker 2: He says he feels good. The club likes what they've.
Speaker 5: Seen from him already with some of those offseason tweaks that he made to his swing and to his plate approach, and you know, hoping that he is able to be a factor for this team in at twenty twenty five. And with Jake Myers, I mean, it's one of those things with him that it's defense first, and that's first and foremost why you have.
Speaker 2: Him in the lineup.
Speaker 5: I mean, he's almost kind of, you know, to a certain point of he's not an offensive liability like Martin Maldonado was. But it was also to people questioning Dusty Baker, Hey, why do you continue to throw that guy out there? If you've seen the way that he handles a pitching staff and the way that he calls a game. Yeah, that's why I have that guy out there is because he's incredibly valuable from that perspective, And I mean it's kind of the same with Myers. He does give you a little bit more with the power, but the strikeouts are high, and the batting average it's not great, and you know, all the other offensive metrics still same deal with that. So you know, he's a guy that you know is going to be the nine hole hitter for this team this year and you're just hoping that you get just a little bit more offensively out of him.
Speaker 2: But the left field situation.
Speaker 5: I mean, it was even with Alex Bregman, you know, way out of the picture. You were, you know, trending towards having Jose Altuve out there and left and that's where he's continued to work throughout the first week of spring training. He's not going to be on the field playing in games. According to what Joe spottas said yesterday, for about another week, same deal with most of the veteran guys going to be able to kind of get them getting some work, live vps, all of those different types of things on the backfields there in West Palm before you get them into live action. But they also too want to continue to get him some work out there and left. And it's also I think, you know, again the internal discussions that you've heard Dana Brown mentioned with us numerous times. That was something that you know, even Joe Spotta had told us a few weeks ago at FanFest over at DIYK in Park that they had talked with Altove about this, and he said, yeah, hey, look helps us win ball game, then I'm all for it. And not only that, I mean it's also to the declining defense that he's had over at second base the last few years that they felt like they needed to improve that part of their infield and a way to do that is to have Valtuve playing elsewhere. And we've seen players in the past make a move out to the outfield. I mean, you know a couple of examples that come to mind. One current is Fernandelo Tatis with the Padres. I mean, he was a guy that was supposed to be one of the best young shortstops in the game, had some injury concerns, and they said, all right, kind of like what the Angels just did with Mike Trout, move them out to right field. And that way he's not exerting as much physically where he's not going to break down health wise, and you're able to continue to have him in your lineup. And that's what the Angels are hoping that they can have at Arvale this season, is a healthy Mike Trout now that he's no longer in center field. And I mean we saw Chipper Jones do it a few years ago with the Braves when they added Vinnie Castilla. They asked him, Hey, you cool with moving out to left field. He said, yeah, sure. I mean, you know, I've done a lot of good things over here at third base. But if that's gonna help us win ball games, then absolutely, I'm all for it. And seems like those have been the reports all across the board for AL two ve. I like to which Chandler roam throughout on Twitter yesterday too of L two A walking with the outfielders coming in, and said, the outfielders are coming through, so already adjusting it to his new life in an Astros uniform. And it's gonna be interesting to see number twenty seven out there at Dykin Park in front of the Crawford boxes, so I'm sure he will probably be well received by the fans out there. So we'll see what it looks like with jose Al Tuove out and left here coming up soon. But that's our one in the books. Our two coming up again. It's gonna be a shortened hour because at eleven fifty we're gonna break away and get you over to the Astros radio network for the Astros and the Nationals spring training action underway there in West Palm Beach, So we'll have that. But coming up next might be joined by Joseph Dwarte. But if he doesn't swing through, well let's get into the Texans Stadium situation, because I know a lot of you have some thoughts on that, and I do as well share some of them with you the other night on the Nightcap. But we can do that again. The number to get in someone three two, one, two, five seven ninety. Once again, that's some one three, two, one, two five, seven ninety as again our one in the books, right here Space City Saturday, right here in your home with the Astros and the Rockets. Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Welcome aboard, Welcome to another Space City Saturday on Sports Talk seven ninety Dan Matthews Live and local h Town breakdown of the world that matters to you, the Houston sports world.
Speaker 2: All these great Houston fans here.
Speaker 3: We love you all, So finish up on that to do list.
Speaker 1: S loot up the tooler, because you can't drink in talk sports all day if you don't start.
Speaker 4: Now bear me in the eight. This is Face City Saturday. That's insane. Here's seven nineties Dan Matthews.
Speaker 2: Indeed it is.
Speaker 5: As we continue here our two of Space City Saturday. Dan Matthews here with you at the Ftida Center where the Kog's going to be taking on Iowa State. A little bit later on, a couple of hours from now, that game will get started and again at twelve forty five you can start to hear the coverage over on KPRC nine to fifty between U of H and Iowa State.
Speaker 2: The Coog's a seven.
Speaker 5: And a half point favorite in this one and the top ten matchup tonight here inside for Tida Center. So it's gonna be a good game, no doubt about it. And looking forward to seeing And I said seven and a half, that's where it started. The sharp's coming in huge on you of h as U of H now up to an eleven and a half point favorite according to ESPN bet, So it'll be a fun afternoon of basketball here a little bit later on tonight here on a Sports Talk seven to ninety, you're going to have the Rockets and the Jazz. Nice little win for them last night at Toyota Center one twenty one fifteen over the Minnesota Timberwolves. So they start the proverbial second half of the season. I mean that was game number fifty six on the year. You play eighty two in a regular season, so do the math a little over halfway through this season. But the Rockets a nice game out of them last night, and they'll take on the thirteen win Utah Jazz a little bit later on tonight, so you can hear that here starting at seven thirty with Rockets launch pad right here on Sports Talk seven to ninety. But again we've gotten into a lot of Astro's discussion. I wanted to get into some of the news that broke a couple of days ago from Jonathan m Alexander and the crew over at the Houston Chronicle of the Texans stadium suation. I know a lot of you have some thoughts on that if you want to weigh in, and Dylan McGinnis also part of that story. One to be able to give proper attribution to that. But the Texans pretty much right now face with two options. Number one, try to be able to renovate NRG Stadium and improve it as much as possible, or even to start doing the kicking the tires scenario of start looking at places, Hey, if we were to build our own thing, like where else could we go? And I mean, you know, there's a lot of different things, voting referendums, also to approaching the county, all of those other types of options that are out there. So that's what the Texans are dealing with at the moment. But one of the things that I think probably started to raise some antennas when it came to this scenario was when the Texans a few weeks ago hired Mike Toeman as their new team president. And immediately to see the background on Toneman and you see, oh, oh okay, yeah, he helped open up the stadium there in La same deal two with the Raiders in Vegas. So he has, as it quotes in the story, an extensive history in stadium developments. So immediately when that happened, I shot out some texts to some you know, colleagues in the industry, and I was like, this doesn't really seem like it's by mistake that this guy is here. Like we've been hearing, you know, rumors that the Texans wanted to do some improvements to NRG Stadium and that they were going to try to get working on that.
Speaker 2: Here pretty soon.
Speaker 5: But I also when I saw that, I said, I think this guy's here to try to convince those in power that's, hey, you know, this stadium is.
Speaker 2: Not good enough.
Speaker 5: We need to be able to play somewhere else here in the coming years. And I think that, you know, at least the story points out that that is a real possibility.
Speaker 2: So as the story states.
Speaker 5: In the Houston Chronicle that one point four billion dollars is needed over thirty years at NRG Stadium, according to a recent assessment, to be able to improve the stadium, so the Texans could look at it and say, all right, do we improve this thing or do we just go ahead and look elsewhere? Because if that type of money is going to be spent, why wouldn't we just do the ask for an entirely new venue. And the Harris County Houston Sports Authority is currently paying one billion dollars in bonds to help build NRG Stadium and that's going to be paid off by twenty fifty six. And also to that's part of you know, the funding for dyke In Park and for Toyota Center as well, and the Sports Authority themselves would not have the money to be able to finance a new stadium.
Speaker 2: So that's the other part of it.
Speaker 5: Is that, you know, it'd be the Texans going to the Harris County taxpayers and saying, hey, you guys, cool with fronting the money for us to build an entirely new venue. And I know a ton of you out there have said absolutely not. I'm not gonna have my property taxes and everything else go up because you want a shiny new toy to be able to get Super Bowls here, and you know, to be able to call your own, because, as I mentioned the other night, there's one thing that is a constant across sports when it comes to billionaire owners is when somebody else has a shiny new toy, well they want their own as well. And I'm assuming that probably Cal and Hannah have gone around to other new venues around the league and also to seeing some of them that have you know, nice little mixed use developments outside and that they're able to control that revenue and be able to add that to their bottom line and say, yeah, hey, you know I want that too. I want to be able to, you know, earn as much as possible and be able to, you know, you make this investment even better. And you know that's something else that the Texans might decide.
Speaker 2: So see some of you wanting the weigh in on the phone lines.
Speaker 5: If you want to do that, you can do so someone three two one two five seven.
Speaker 2: But I mean you also have to consider.
Speaker 5: That, you know, this is a scenario that I think probably has a little bit of a trained response from some remembering the old oiler days of you know, when Bud Adams and crew were trying to get the oilers in New Stadium and it was his dealings with the county and with the city of Houston. That really kind of rubbed them the wrong way that they were just like, okay, fine, if Nashville is flirting with you, go to Nashville, Like, we don't care.
Speaker 2: At this point, you've clearly.
Speaker 5: Given up on putting a product on the field that you necessarily care about, you know, winning ballgames, and actually want to do the best you can here in Houston.
Speaker 2: So if you want to move on, then move on. You know, no harm, no foul.
Speaker 5: And they said, all right, fine, we'll do that, and that's exactly what they did.
Speaker 2: I don't envision the Texans doing the same thing.
Speaker 5: I think the McNair's you know, relationship with the community, I mean while fractured at times, and you know, Ac brought up that point the other day on the show, and he's not wrong. Where you know, the Jackie Easter be yere that did a lot to you know, harbor some ill will towards the fans and also towards you know, just the fan reaction to the team as well. So I mean, you know, I think that that's been part of it. And you know, ever since then, with the hiring of Demiko Ryans and also winning on the field. That's improved things as well. And you know, all of a sudden, a hot item again, and when you're hot and you have the popularity, that's the time to be able to go and do the ask for people to be able to.
Speaker 2: Front the money for you.
Speaker 5: So you know, I mean, I think this thing is going to be an ever changing story. In terms of the Texans leaving, I don't envision that being the case. I mean, where else could they go? And there there are no other major markets that would be able to support the team at this point. They're pretty much all taken up by the league. So you know, I think that option is off the table. But Montgomery County for Ben County, Yeah, that's a possibility too as well. I mean we've seen teams do that in the past. I mean when I was in Atlanta, the Braves did that, going to Cobb County and saying, hey, will you build us a brand new stadium? They said, yes, absolutely we will. So if you want to get in on this topic, you can do so again. SEB one three two one two five seven ninety. Once again, that's SEB one three two one two five seven ninety. Lets you all build up on the phone lines as we'll get to you on the other side, as we'll continue this conversation right here on your home of the Astros and the Rockets.
Speaker 2: Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety Space City Saturday continues fine Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 5: Sports Soox seven ninety Dan Matthews here live inside the Jim Nance Media Center at the Fertida Center, where about an hour and a half from now, the UH Cougar is taking on the Iowa State Cyclones number five versus number eight, So good top ten matchup to be able to watch today, and you know we're getting into the Texans Stadium converce here if you want a wigh in on that. I know a few of you of one or two. Martin John see you guys right there. Get to you all here in just a second. But seven one three two one two five, seven ninety is the number two.
Speaker 2: Get in there, you know.
Speaker 5: Speaking of today's game, I mean, if you guys listen to us on the A Team or you listen to the Matt Thomas Show, you guys hear about great sponsors of both of those shows. But Big City Wings can't think of a better place to be able to watch today's game. So Sam and the crew at the numerous locations around the city, they will be able to take good care of you and be able to watch.
Speaker 2: The Koogs or maybe a little bit later on the night.
Speaker 5: You want to go watch the Rockets or even along with the Kougs if you want to see some Astros spring training action on TV on Space City Home Network, go check out any of those great locations. And they're a great sponsor of us here on Sports Talk seven ninety. We appreciate them a lot. And you know also too, if you want to join Big City Wings and you've got a business out there, you want to do some advertising with us, we'd love to have you here on Sports Talk seven ninety. If you ever have any questions, hit me up Dan Matthews at iHeartMedia dot com is where you can hit me up. And also too, you know, look, I mean, we've done some great things here on Space City Saturday with the Creek group.
Speaker 2: Appreciate all of them.
Speaker 5: Going to be out there actually in a couple of weeks for the Chili Cookoff. I think over at Onion Creek is where we're doing it this time. So looking forward to being able to do that. So, yeah, hit me up Dan Matthews at iHeartMedia dot com and I gotta tell you too. I mean, when you're an advertiser, it's not just about Hey, you know.
Speaker 2: You're giving us money to talk about you.
Speaker 5: I mean I've kind of learned in this business that you know, treat them like family, treat them like friends. I mean, you know, because that's exactly what you are. You are somebody that can you know, be both of those things with us, and you know, definitely want to make sure that you know you're appreciated to as well. So get to you on the phone lines here really quick. Before we get Joseph Warte from the Houston Chronicle in with us. Martin and Angleton wants the weigh in on the Texans Stadium situation.
Speaker 2: Martin, What's what's going on, buddy? Hey?
Speaker 6: Dan?
Speaker 9: I thought that there was an option of of the taxes being raised to pay for this through the visitors in convention bureau type situation where visitors into the city, like hotel taxes and whatever other taxes that visitors pay. I thought that that was a bible option.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they've done that in the past.
Speaker 5: I mean, obviously that's how then Enron Field was built at dyk In Park. I think they did the same thing for Toyota Center and even for NRG Stadium as well. But I mean I think they're kind of tapped out on that. Martin is the problem. I mean, it's one of those Okay, you can continue to raise those, but then it starts to hurt your tourism and I mean, you know, people they come here. I mean, it starts to become a situation of you come here, you run a car, you you know, you you get a hotel room, and you see you know, you're getting taxed out of the gord for that, and you're just kind of like, well, do I even want to go back there if I'm going to have to pay all those fees. So, I mean, I just I think that they're kind of up against it with that. I mean, it almost kind of sounds like and somebody brought this up in the comments when we posted the video from the A team when I was in Atlanta and the Falcons built Mercedes Benz Stadium. They had said it from the beginning, it's a private public partnership where some of the money is going to come from the city, from Fulton County, but also too that Arthur Blank ponied up a lot of money of his own and said, yeah, I want this thing to become a reality, and that's how they were able to do that. And the Texans as of right now, I mean the story you know states they only pay four million dollars a year in rent to rent NRG Stadium. The county owns the stadium. The Rodeo owns the stadium, so it's this them as a tenant. And I mean they've got one of the best, you know, rent structures in the league, and I think they kind of want to continue doing that.
Speaker 9: Well, okay, I just thought it was still still uh an option.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 9: I don't, I don't. I mean, all these businesses that come in they have it has to do with oil and gas and natural gas and stuff like that. These conventions. I don't think they're going to worry about that too much because the companies are paying a lot of that, I think for their employees to come into Houston for stuff like that. But yeah, oh well, I just thought i'd throw it out there. I hope it gets built. I hope it gets built because it attract it attracts UH super Bowls and this and that and UH and UH.
Speaker 5: Anyway, that's definitely the goal for sure. Appreciate the call Martin Again. If you want to join Martin on the phone lines, you can do so seven one three two one two five seven ninety. Once again, that's seven one three two one two five seven ninety. But as promised us said that we would be catching up with this man, we're gonna do that right now.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 5: He is Joseph d'Arte Houston Chronicle joining here on a Space City Saturday for UH takes on Iowa State number five against number eight. Joseph, appreciate the time, man, It's good to see you again. It's been a while since we've been able to catch up. But you know, with this game today, I mean, this is a UH team that all season long has been playing good, consistent basketball. There was the scuffle a little bit out in Las Vegas, but aside from that, it's been a pretty good run for them this season. Is there anything necessarily that surprises you about this experienced team.
Speaker 10: Well, you know, you mentioned, you know, the four and three start, and they were sort of feeling their way through things.
Speaker 6: Had a new point guard, and Miles Susan.
Speaker 10: But I think it surprised me is the level that they they've sort of taken control of the Big twelve. I mean, you're fourteen and one. You want to believe it's eighteen of the last nineteen overall. So since that Vegas trip here, your only loss is by one point to Texas Tech. So they can play defense. We all know that they force turnovers and now they can shoot, and that's the rest to be for a deep march run.
Speaker 6: So I'm not sure if I'm surprised.
Speaker 10: I think it's just we knew they'd be good at some point, because that's what Keilvin Sampson does. I just think that the manner that they've sort of taken control of the Big twelve races has been a little bit of a surprise.
Speaker 2: How key is Emmanuel Shark to this team?
Speaker 6: Oh he's huge, you know.
Speaker 10: You know, he had gone through a little bit of a mini slamp, been dealing with a foot injury, and you know he's zero for ten going into the second half against Arizona State, theeld that I had over the last two games, and then he hits four to three. He's just like that boom boom boom boom. And that's when this team is at its best.
Speaker 6: You know that LJ. Crier is your consistent score.
Speaker 10: You've got Milos who's really turned into a really good score. You need Emmanuel Sharp and Keilvin Sampson said as much. They're at their best when he's at his best. So they've got to have him. And I thought it was a good sign and Timpy that he started to turn things around again.
Speaker 5: Joseph Dwarts He joined us here inside the Jim Nance Media Center for Tita Center ahead of today uh and Iowa State basketball game. You know one guy too that I think is kind of an unsung hero of this team is Juwan Roberts and what he's.
Speaker 2: Able to do.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know what you're gonna get from him on the offensive end, but it's mostly the defensive end. I mean, how much of a key for this team is he?
Speaker 10: Well, you know, you you just look at the experience and he's a six year guy. You don't see that very often, but you know, he's the glue that keeps things together. And especially in the front court. You've got guys like Jojo Tugler that look up to him and J. J. Vier or Francis has has come along with the help of Jay One. But you know, he's a guy that not only does he play on the defensive end, they go through him a lot on the offense and they try to make things happen, and when teams try to take it away like they did on the last trip, at opens up things for the guards. So huge part of the team. And what's amazing, Kelvin's been here eleven years. Jaywan Roberts been here for six of those years. He has about two hundred and eighty six wins. Roberts has about one hundred and fifty of those. So that just shows you the impact and the imprint that he's had. And the funny thing was Kelvin joke the other night he was probably about a one point seventy five star when they recruited.
Speaker 2: I mean, he.
Speaker 6: Didn't give him that too. Jay Wan'll tell you he was a three.
Speaker 10: But it just shows you they develop and the player eventually turns into a star.
Speaker 5: And you know, as I was walking into the building today, you know, was listening to the game day crew out there on the courts and I think it was Seth Greenberg that they had showed the twenty twenty one Final four banner and he said, this team's better than that twenty one team.
Speaker 2: I mean, are you seeing the same things?
Speaker 10: You know, that was a really good team, and I think since then those are what the others have been measured against. But shooting wise, I think it can be better. I think from one to eight, one to nine they are deeper. But until you get to the tournament and you actually do it that those are big shoes to compare. But I think that if you look at the way the whole nation is set up right now in which teams could factor in, Houston's on a very short list of schools that could win it. And it's just a matter of you got to stay healthy, and that has not happened for them, and you've got to get hot, and you got to be consistent. And I think those things will happen because Kelvin sort of, you know, demands it. You just got to stay healthy and that's the key, and.
Speaker 2: I mean a huge part of that.
Speaker 5: And you know, having conversations with you know, U of h fans about this is it seems like that's been the issue the last few years. It's just this demanding physical style they play well, there's a shelf life to that. I mean, as you pointed out, I mean we've seen it play out. We saw it play out that way last year when they got to the sweet sixteen. But do you think that maybe there is a little bit of tweaking with the rotation that we've seen from Kelvin Sampson this year to kind of, you know, be able to keep those guys as fresh as possible done stretch.
Speaker 10: Well, that was the that was the question asked this week, and he admitted that somebody like l J. Cryer, he'd like to get him some more in and out of the game to give him a breather. Beyond that, you want to keep some type of rhythm going this type of year, so you're not just gonna mass sub and hold guys out. You're not gonna pull back, so to speak. But I think you do try to find your moments where you're not pushing a guy thirty five thirty eight.
Speaker 6: Minutes a game.
Speaker 10: And unless these games are really tight, I don't think he'll see that the rest of the way. I think you will see him being selective, trying to get some guys some breathers because you know they don't practice. It's not the same in November and December as it is now in terms of practice. And so the whole theory of does this just cause them to break down in March, I'm not buying that Jamal shed was just a freak injury with his ankle. Guys like Sasser when he had his shoulder, you know, those happened during the season. So you could say that it's just wear and tear the grind. But Kelvin's not going to change a lot. He just may may kind of finesse things a little bit and get some guys some extra breathers between now and the start of the tournament again.
Speaker 5: Joseph to Warte, Houston Chronicle join us here at Fatida Center here on Space City Saturday.
Speaker 2: And you know, with.
Speaker 5: The u of H basketball program, now, I mean you talk college sports, you gotta talk name, image, likeness, you got to talk just what's the new landscape in sports? Is part of you kind of surprised that Kelvin's been able to keep this going with all of those things at their disposal. And not only that, I mean transfers. We've seen guys leave this program and go other places. I mean, how impressive has it been that he's been able to keep this going with having to deal with those two factors.
Speaker 10: Well, on the transfers, I believe it's only one or two like starters that they've had that have actually left guy like a Caleb Mills a few years ago.
Speaker 6: But in terms of.
Speaker 10: NIL, they're on a different level. You know, football at most schools is the top NIL earner, but basketball sort of does their own thing here and they don't have the exact number, but I've been told, you know, top tier schools usually have at least a four million type of NIL budget or what they have for their players, and you know it hasn't stopped them. They have three ESPN like Top twenty top twenty five guys that are coming here next year. And on top of that, you know, Kelvin made it a point to say, these guys aren't coming here necessarily for NIL, They're coming here for the opportunity and what this program provides with the thinking that that NIL is going to be on the back end. It may be, and their pro contract it may be in year two or three, but the NIL when it comes to Kelvin Sampson's program is not the main.
Speaker 6: Draw or the enticement.
Speaker 10: There are many other things that they that they offer before they even talk in IL.
Speaker 5: And you know up there today saw Willie Fritz was up there with the football team. And last year I think they did some impressive things. But you know, this coming year, I mean, is bowl game of possibility for his program.
Speaker 6: Lune At schedule. I think it should be.
Speaker 5: You know, I.
Speaker 10: I think that just the way it sets up, you know, you could be two and zero to start, you could win all three non conference and then you know, depending on whether like Oklahoma.
Speaker 6: State or you see back after really bad seasons.
Speaker 10: You know, I put them in that minimum six win category which gets you in the bowl. I think this is a possible seven and five type team. I would be shocked just based on bringing in an experienced quarterback in Connor Wegman and upgrading the old line in some other areas that this would be a team that would either stay at four wins or just be at five.
Speaker 6: I think this is a bowl team.
Speaker 2: Very good.
Speaker 5: Joseph, do Towarte again. Houston Chronicle will join us here at Fertida Center.
Speaker 2: Joseph's could see again. Man.
Speaker 5: It's always great to catch up with you and appreciate your work with chronicle.
Speaker 6: Thank you for having me on.
Speaker 5: All right, there you go, Joseph dowarte again, join us here at the Fertida Center. All right, so we talked to Astros, we've talked Rockets, We've talked to you of h We talked pretty much all of it today. If you want to weigh in on any of those topics, you can do so. Someone three two one two five seven ninety one. Skin at someone three two one two five seven ninety one. More segment to go before we step aside for Astros baseball that's coming up next right here on your home of the Astros and the Rockets.
Speaker 2: Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to Space City, Saturday one. Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 5: Dan Matthews here with you live inside the Jim Nants Media Center here at the Ftida Center. UH taken on Iowa State. Shout out to Joseph d'Arte who joined us last segment. Good conversation with him, getting into a little bit of UH basketball as well as the football program, trying to get them back to their winning ways. Says A few years ago, nice little trip to the Peach Bowl went over Florida State and ever since then, you of H trying to get the program back to that level yet again, and full confidence Willie Fritz can do that. Huge fan of him, huge fan even going back to his Seam Houston days and even with what he was able to do at Tulane getting them to the Cotton Bowl a couple of years ago beating USC, so you know that he is able to build up a program and hoping he can do that here at EU of H a few more minutes here on the show, you want to get in on the phone lines, you can do so. Subone three two one two five seven ninety one. Skin at subone three two one two five at seven ninety mentioned. You know the Rockets taking on at the Jazz tonight and I little went for them last night, still without Fred van Vlietz. And usually with ankles, especially to basketball players, you're probably looking at about a month that you need for that injury to be able to heal up before you feel like you're able to get that explosiveness and get.
Speaker 2: Back to action the way that you want to be able to get back to it.
Speaker 5: And that's you know what the Rockets are kind of counting on with Van Vliet, I mean, trying to get him healthy enough. And you know, I talked about it earlier what he means the team not only from an offensive end, but also too. I mean some of those defensive breakdowns we've seen late in games before the All Star break, where you know, I think you could probably point to not having Fred van Vliet out there is what allows for some of those breakdowns to happen. And I mean you've seen teams cutting into the basket, being able to get you know, offensive rebounds, all of those different things and just how important he is. And I mentioned too that Haberstrow stat that he threw out that this team, when they have both Shingoon and Van Vliet on the floor, they're thirty and thirteen, and with the win last night, they're now five and eight. When you don't have both of those guys out there, you were able to have Alpi and what he was able to do. But still, I mean, you know, without Van Vliet you miss a lot in terms of the offensive sets and just you know, just overall just general organization out there, I feel like.
Speaker 2: Is what you lose without him.
Speaker 5: And you know, the funny thing is, and I talked about this with Jackson Gatlin a few weeks ago when we had him on Rockets launch Pad. You know, he brought this up on his podcast that I feel like people look at Fred the wrong way, and it's the shot selection, it's the misshots, all of those different things. I get that, but his point is incredibly valid. That's not what he's supposed to do. He's not supposed to be the guy taking the crucial shots late in games, in close games. You're wanting that to be Jalen Green. Now you're probably wanting that to be you know, a Men Thompson. I mean, you saw it at the end of the Memphis game that that play was drawn up to go to a men Thompson, and Memphis did a great job of saying, no, we saw this guy do it a couple of nights ago in Boston. We can't let this guy beat us. And they took him out of play and you saw, you know, the last ditch effort that they had, and people were, oh my god, why would you go to Fred in that situation? And it's like, well, I mean, where else you gonna go, you know, in terms of inbounding the basketball. So I just think that you know, sometimes it's undue criticism to him in terms of that part.
Speaker 2: Of his game.
Speaker 5: I mean that's almost kind of like, you know, I was talking about with Josh C last night before I left, and you know, I said, that's like blaming Mauricio Dubond for not coming through in a crucial runners in scoring position situation after jose Al Tuove struck out, Like you know, what are we doing here? Kind of is is really I think the name of the game at that point. I mean, you know, it's you're you're blaming the wrong guy for the wrong thing. You know, if he comes through in that spot, then you're happy about it. But if he doesn't, you're like, well, you know, offensively, probably not one of the best guys you want to have in that situation. So I think that that's you know, really all part of it too as well. But you know, like I said, one fifteen win last night, that was good to see out of the Rockets says, you know, you want to see them be able to take a good positive step forward out of the All Star break. I mean, you saw a team that, even with injuries, was just physically worn down at the end of you know, the first half of the season. And I mean this was a team that as soon as the final buzzer hit in the Warriors loss, they were kind of like, oh man, thank god we're here. We get a week to be able to rest up and get back to action. But you know, it was good to see a good, strong third quarter out of the team last night and a good strong fourth quarter two as well, as it was a close game at the half, but then able to outscore Minnesota thirty to twenty six in the third, and then also to neither team necessarily that impressive offensively in the fourth quarter. But I mean, Anthony Edwards, what can you say about the guy? I threw it out on Twitter last night. He's as close to Kobe Bryant as we have in the game right now in terms of just his shot making ability, his explosiveness, his competitive drive. I mean, it count me in the same category with Adam Clanton of being a huge fan of that guy and then a huge fan of him even.
Speaker 2: Back to his brief college career that he had, and you saw it.
Speaker 5: Even back then that he was going to be somebody that was going to be pretty tough to deal with in the league. That's definitely been the case. But thirty seven out of him last night. I mean, you know, but you were pretty much able to limit the damage outside of him. I mean, you know, Jayden McDaniel's twenty one points out of him, nas Reed, nice player for them, twenty two out of him. But you know, as I've mentioned numerous times, Jalen Green, he is the key to this offense and when he is able to put up points well, then wins usually follow. And he was able to do that last night, thirty five out of him. Another double double yet again out of Alprin Shingoon, twenty four and thirteen out of him, and you know, kind of you know, a guy that's starting to get a little bit of that reputation too of being a you know, if a game is on, well then he's going to get a double double. Is a men Thompson. He was able to do that again last night, seventeen and ten out of him. So good performance out of the Rockets. Hopefully they can carry it over to tonight. I know you're gonna be without Fred van Vliet, have to believe with it being a home and road.
Speaker 2: Back to back.
Speaker 5: Probably no Tarry Easan, probably Seemdal four Steven Adams, So we'll have all that for you again a little bit later on for Rockets Launch Pad when we hit the airwaves at seven point thirty, but mentioned the Astros too as the Stros split squad.
Speaker 2: Action going to get started at today.
Speaker 5: The game you're going to hear here on at Sports Talk seven ninety is going to be the one started by Ryan Gusto. They're at Cacti Park of the Palm Beaches between them and the Nationals. Does look like those I mentioned Chandler Romes tweet a little bit earlier. That seems like most of the veteran guys, like I saw Dubon McCormick, some of those other guys, they're in the lineup over in the Mets game as they're going to be playing them over in Port Saint Lucy.
Speaker 2: So we'll have that for you.
Speaker 5: But I mean, you know, it's an Astro's team trying to be able to find their way back into the postseason yet again. I mean, you know, it's also too listening to Joe a spot a talk with not only Matt and Ross earlier but also too with the media of talking about, you know, everything they had to do last year to be able to get into the postseason. I mean, you know, the last couple of years has been a coming down to the the you know, the the last stretch there of the season. And you didn't have to go all the way until the final day of the season this past season, but still it was a you know, really tight race that you had with the Seattle Mariners because of how far you fell behind in the beginning. And that's something that they're trying to guard against here this season and you know, not having to try to really sprint there those last three and a half months. And you know, it was when we had Jeff Blum and studio with us, we were talking about this and you know, kind of like we were just talking about with the Rockets going into the All Star break. I think that's what you saw from the Astros last year is that once they got to the postseason, they were just gassed. I mean it was, you know, you're you're playing at such a high level for so long and you face up, you know, against a really tough and the Detroit Tigers, who had the pitching staff they had and just playing the baseball that they were. It was just a bad scenario for the Astros. And hence the early exit last year. So trying to be able to build up a good start here in twenty twenty five. I mean, you know that obviously, no Alex Bregman, no Kyle Tucker, but you know you enter in some new guys. I mean, you know East Soakperetis. It sounds like that minute made Park's gonna benefit him really well. Same deal with Christian Walker. And you know we had that conversation with Matt Thomas that we played for you last hour, and you know it was a lot to be able to see what those guys were, you know, can be able to do here in an Astros uniforms. So we'll see how they are able to build up here as we get close to this season coming up next, we'll squeeze in a couple more minutes with you here on Space City Saturday before we step aside for Astros Baseball again, Dan Matthews here at the Fortida Center before U of H takes on Iowa States As we'll have that for you over on KPRC nine to fifty starting at twelve forty five. So we'll come back next right here on Space City Saturday, here in your home of the Astros and the Rockets.
Speaker 2: Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: This is Space City Saturday on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 5: Dean Matthews here with you for just a matter of mere second, says we'll have Astros baseball coming up for you here in a few minutes. Mentioned too that the U of h Iowa State game it's gonna be over on KPRC nine fifty starting at twelve forty five and then one o'clock tip here inside for Tita Center. But been a lot of fun here today. I want to thank Melvin Brown back in the studio.
Speaker 2: Great job by him as always.
Speaker 5: Also to Joseph d'Arte joining us here from the Houston Chronicle.
Speaker 2: Always great to be able to catch up with him.
Speaker 5: And you know, just looking forward to some good basketball here and again coming your way tonight. Seven point thirty Rockets launch Pad is gonna be a coming to your way. I'll have that for you, and then we get the Rockets and the Jazz from there in Salt Lake City, and then I'll be talking to you afterwards on Rockets rap too as well. So speaking of rapping, that's what we're gonna do right here, is we're gonna put a boat on this edition of Space City Saturday. Again, thanks to all of those of you who joined us on the phone lines too as well. Have a great rest of your Saturday, watch some good basketball. Cruddy out there weatherwise, so you know, muddle up, be able to watch us some good basketball, and be able to enjoy the rest of this weekend.
Speaker 2: Warmer weather is ahead. We got that for us, so we'll have all of that.
Speaker 5: But until next Saturday, I'm Dan Matthews here in your home of the Astros and the Rockets, Sports Talk seven ninety