Speaker 1: Welcome to our deep dive into rede We've got a stack of insights just straight from the source tribe of hackers, Red Team. It's packed with advice from top offensive security experts, and we're here to break it all down for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're going to be going beyond the usual penetration testing today and really getting into how red teams emulate real world adversaries. By the end of this you'll have a solid grasp on how Red teamers think, the diverse skills they bring to the table, and their unique approach to problem solving.
Speaker 1: So it's like getting a sneak peek into the minds of the pros it is. But before we jump into all that, let's start with the basics. What exactly is red teaming. I feel like the term gets thrown around a lot, but is there like a single agreed upon definition.
Speaker 2: It's interesting, isn't it. The lack of one hard and fast definition actually reflects how dynamic cybersecurity is. Threats are constantly changing, so red teaming has to adapt.
Speaker 1: To makes sense.
Speaker 2: But at its core, it's about pushing the boundaries of security by simulating real world attacks to uncover vulnerabilities that might otherwise go unnoticed.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's not just about finding those obvious holes. It's about anticipating the unexpected, exact, the attacks that organizations haven't even considered yet.
Speaker 2: That's it. Chris truntz Are, one of the experts featured in the book, puts it perfectly. Red teaming is about finding those unknown unknowns rights, not just scanning for the known vulnerabilities. And that's what makes it such a valuable tool for organizations looking to stay ahead of the curve.
Speaker 1: That makes a lot of sense. So how does someone even begin to think like a red teamer? Yeah? Is it a skill you can learn or some people just naturally wire that way?
Speaker 2: Well, a lot of the experts, like Rob Fuller and David Kennedy empatasize the importance of understanding the blue team perspective.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 2: Red teamors need to be able to anticipate how defenders think in order to out maneuver them. It's almost like a game of chess.
Speaker 1: I get it. Yeah, you have to know your opponent's moves to stay one step ahead exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And Mike Sharon talks about cultivating that hacker mindset a blend of skepticism tenacity and a relentless drive to find another way in even when the obvious paths are blocked.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about technical skills, right, it's a way of thinking, a relentless curiosity to find the weak spots.
Speaker 2: It is you're catching on quickly. Justin Ell sums it up well. Good red teamers are creative problem solvers, able to adapt when a tax fail and find new paths.
Speaker 1: It sounds like you need a pretty unique blend of technical chops. Yeah, and those softer skills like communication, teamwork.
Speaker 2: You're absolutely right. Several of the experts stress the importance of communication, teamwork and ethics. You need the technical skills to execute the attacks, but you also need to work effectively as a team, communicate your findings clearly, and of course, operate ethically.
Speaker 1: Makes sense. Speaking of technical skills, what specific areas do red teamers need to be proficient in? Oh, definitely, I imagine it's a pretty extensive list.
Speaker 2: Rob Fuller gives a pretty comprehensive overview in the book, and it really is quite a range. Routing, switching, active directory, wireless, physical security, wow IoT, web applications, cloud environments. That's a lot, it seems like every aspect of it is fair game.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's a lot to master. Yeah, it really highlights the sheer complexity of cybersecurity these days, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: It absolutely does, And bo Bullock makes a good point that many Red teamers actually specialize in certain areas, which makes them even more valuable assets to a team. So you might have someone who's an expert in exploiting active directory while another focuses on social engineering or physical security breaches.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's say someone is intrigued by all this and wants to get into red teaming. What advice did these experts have for aspiring Red teamers.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a pretty consistent theme that comes up again and again. Hands on experience is crucial. So things like building your own lab, participating in bug bounty programs, and getting involved in Capture the Flag CTF competitions are all highly recommended.
Speaker 1: So it's like anything else, you can't just read about it again, you have to roll up your sleeves and actually do it. You got it.
Speaker 2: And several of the experts emphasize the power of networking, attending conferences, going to meetups, connecting with people in the field, building relationships and learning from others is so valuable, especially in a fast paced field like cybersecurity.
Speaker 1: That makes total sense.
Speaker 2: Learning from people who are actually out there doing the work.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I can definitely see the value in that.
Speaker 1: Absolutely Yeah. And Jared Fulkens makes a really interesting point about the value of real world experience, even if it's not directly related to red teaming. He talks about how working on blue teams, doing system administration or even programming, can give you a deeper understanding of how systems work and how they can be exploited.
Speaker 2: So it's not just about being a hacker, it's about having a well rounded foundation in it, exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, let's shift gears a bit and talk about red team reporting.
Speaker 2: Right. Here's where it gets interesting, because it's not just about finding the vulnerabilities, it's about communicating them effectively.
Speaker 1: You're absolutely right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The book really stresses that reports need to be actionable and provide context for the client. It's not about showing off your skills. It's about helping the organization improve its security posture. So it's about painting a clear picture it is of the vulnerabilities and what the organization can do to address them. I imagine that requires a certain level of storytelling, right it does. You can't just throw a bunch of technical jargon at them and expect them to understand.
Speaker 2: Patrick Sassel actually compares Red Team reporting to storytelling interesting. He says, you need to use things like attack maps and clear descriptions to explain the attack path, almost like you're taking the client on a journey through the breach.
Speaker 1: I love that analogy. It makes the findings come alive and helps the client understand the real world impact.
Speaker 2: Of those vulnerabilities.
Speaker 1: And Jared Hate emphasizes the importance of collaborating with the Blue Team. It's about working together to get a complete picture of the organization's security posture and develop a shared understanding of the risks.
Speaker 2: That makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: It's not about Red Team versus Blue Team. It's about both teams working together achieve a common goal, which is improving the organization's security.
Speaker 2: Right now, speaking of teamwork and collaborations, you're ready for some stories from the field.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely, I'm always up for a good story laid on me well. Christopher Campbell shared a particularly memorable one. He was on an engagement and accidentally triggered an alert during a meeting with the entire IA section.
Speaker 2: Oh no, what happened?
Speaker 1: He was using compromised credentials and the target machine was actually being used to project slides for the meeting. Oh wow, So the IA team immediately saw his IP address. Oh and the account he was using.
Speaker 2: Oh that's got to be awkward. Yeah, talk about being caught red handed.
Speaker 1: How do he react? Well, in a moment of quick thinking, he decided to maintain character and pretend he was supposed to be there.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. He even told the IA team to go get their boss.
Speaker 1: Wow. Talk about thinking on your feet. No right, did they buy it?
Speaker 2: Not first? Okay, but he managed to stall them long enough to escape the conference room.
Speaker 1: That's a classic Red Team remove right. Always be prepared for the unexpected, always. But these Bursted stories, while entertaining, also raise some important questions about the ethical considerations that Red teamers face. What happens when they find something truly disturbing.
Speaker 2: It's a tricky situation, for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: A few of the experts mentioned finding things like evidence of illegal activities. Oh wow, during their engagements.
Speaker 1: That must be a tough position to be in, it is. What's the protocol in those situations.
Speaker 2: Well, it really depends on the rules of engagement okay for that specific project, Yeah, and the client's policies. But it highlights the importance of having those conversations up front and making sure everyone is on the same page about how to handle sensitive discoveries.
Speaker 1: It really brings to light the human side of red peeming, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: It does.
Speaker 1: It's not just about tech nical skills. It's about navigating complex situations and making judgment calls.
Speaker 2: Chris Nickerson really drives this point home in the book. He says Red teamers are not just robots. They are passionate about security and making a difference.
Speaker 1: And that passion is often what makes them so effective. Absolutely, they're not just going through the motions. They genuinely care about improving security.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and that shared passion often leads to a strong sense of Camarrie mutual respect between the Red and Blue teams. Even though they're essentially on opposite sides, they understand that they're both working towards the same goal and the more secure world.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've talked about the skills, the mindset, the ethics, even some of the funny mishaps that can happen in the field, But what are some of the qualities that make a truly exceptional red teamer stand out?
Speaker 2: Well? Jared Hate talks about how the best Red teamers are never satisfied even when they achieve their objective. They're constantly analyzing, looking for ways to improve, thinking about how the blue team could have detected them. Okay, they're essentially red teaming themselves.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's some next level dedication. Always striving for improvement.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and over time they develop an incredible intuition. Patrick Fasol describes it as being able to look at a target and almost instantly get a sense of its security and maturity.
Speaker 1: That's amazing, Like they've developed a sixth sense for spotting vulnerabilities.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: But they're not just relying on gut feeling right now. No, they're still doing their due diligence when it comes to planning and research.
Speaker 2: They still spend a lot of time gathering information and planning their attacks. That reconnaissance phase is crucial because the more you know about the target, the more efficient and effective your attack will be.
Speaker 1: Makes sense. Knowledge is power, as they say.
Speaker 2: And here's another interesting observ from the book, The Best Red teamers are often indistinguishable from the best Blue teamers.
Speaker 1: Wait, really, but aren't they on opposite sides in a sense? Yes, how does that work?
Speaker 2: Well? The top practitioners in both fields have such a deep understanding of security that they can easily switch perspectives. They understand the attack vectors, the defense mechanisms, and the thought processes on both sides.
Speaker 1: That's incredible. So they could potentially infiltrate a system pretty much and defend it with equal skill.
Speaker 2: They know the game inside and out. Wow, and that really reinforces the importance of collaboration. Red and Blue teams need to work together, share their knowledge, and learn from each other to create a truly robust security posture.
Speaker 1: Iron sharpens iron.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and sometimes that collaboration leads to some pretty hilarious moment.
Speaker 1: I'm all airs, tell me another story.
Speaker 2: Uns are shared one about a time he was on an engagement and accidentally compromised a system. It was broadcasting a weather report on TVs throughout the entire organization.
Speaker 1: Oh no, everyone must have seen him hacking.
Speaker 2: Am Amazingly, no one noticed for almost twenty four hours.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: The point of contact only realized something was wrong when the weather image disappeared from the TVs.
Speaker 1: That's hilarious. It just goes to show that even the most sophisticated security systems can have unexpected blind spots. And it also highlights the human element of cybersecurity. People can be the weakest link, but they can also be the strongest asset. That's true. So what's the takeaway here for organizations? How can they take all these insights from these red teaming experts and apply them to their own security practices.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the biggest takeaway is.
Speaker 1: That organizations need to invest in both technology and people. Having strong security controls is important, but they're useless without a skilled team to manage them and a culture that embraces a security first mindset.
Speaker 2: So it's about having the right tools and the right people and creating an environment where security is everyone's responsibility.
Speaker 1: Right. Organizations need to encourage that red team mindset, that culture of curiosity, skepticism, yeah, and continuous improvement. Don't just accept the status quo. Constantly question, test and challenge your assumption.
Speaker 2: I love that. Always be learning, always be adapting exactly.
Speaker 1: And finally foster that collaboration between red and blue teams. Break down the silos, encourage information sharing and work together to create a more secure environment.
Speaker 2: This deep dove has been so insightful. H I feel like I have a whole new understanding of the world of red teaming and.
Speaker 1: How valuable it is for organizations. It is, But what about the future of red teaming? Where do things go from here? The threat landscape is constantly evolving, it is, so I imagine red teaming has to evolve as well.
Speaker 2: Right, that's a great question.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Several experts in the book shared their thoughts the future of red teaming, and one theme that came up repeatedly was the rise of automation and AI.
Speaker 1: Oh that's interesting. How do you think those technologies are going to impact red teaming?
Speaker 2: Well, on the one hand, okay, they have the potential to make red teamors jobs a lot easier. Automated tools can help with tasks like reconnaissance and vulnerability scanning, freeing up red teamers to focus on more strategic, creative aspects of the attack.
Speaker 1: So it's like having a digital assistant to take care of some of the grunt work exactly.
Speaker 2: On the flip side, the increasing adoption of AI and automation by security teams also presents new challenges for Red teamers.
Speaker 1: How So, you'd think having more automation would make things easier for attackers too.
Speaker 2: Right, Not necessarily. As defenders start using more sophisticated AI powered security tools, attackers will need to develop new techniques to bypass them. It's an ongoing arms.
Speaker 1: Race, so Red teamers will need to constantly adapt, yes, learn new skills, and develop new tactics to stay ahead of the game.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and that's where the human element becomes even more important.
Speaker 1: Why is that? Wouldn't you think AI would eventually make human Red teamers obsolete?
Speaker 2: Not quite. There are certain things that AI and automation simply can't replicate, things like creativity, intuition, critical thinking, and the ability to adapt to unforeseen circumstances.
Speaker 1: It's that uniquely human ability to think outside the box, yes, and come up with creative solutions that AI can't quite grasp yet exactly.
Speaker 2: So, I think the future of Red teaming will involve a blend of human expertise and technological advancements. It's about finding the right balance between automation and human ingenuity.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. It's about leveraging technology to enhance human capabilities not replace them.
Speaker 2: Entirely, and as the threat landscape becomes even more complex and sophisticated, red teamers will play an increasingly important role in helping organizations stay ahead of the curve.
Speaker 1: I completely agree they're the unsung heroes of cybersecurity. Yeah, constantly pushing the boundaries, challenging the status quo, and helping organizations build more resilient defenses.
Speaker 2: They are, indeed, and this deep dive, while thorough, has really just scratched the surface of the world of red teaming. There's so much more to explore, so many fascinating stories to tell, and so many brilliant minds working in this field.
Speaker 1: I'm already looking forward to our next deep dive in the world of cybersecurity.
Speaker 2: They do.
Speaker 1: But before we wrap up completely, let's leave our listeners with a final thought, something to ponder as they continue their own explorations in the world of cybersecurity. What if we took everything we've learned about red teaming and applied it to our own lives, kind of like a personal security audit.
Speaker 2: I love that idea red team in your life. It's a really interesting concept. Think about it. What are your personal vulnerabilities? What are the threats you face on a daily basis, and what steps can you take to strengthen your own security posture.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's unpack this personal vulnerabilities. Well, I'll admit yeah, I'm probably guilty of oversharing on social media, sometimes not giving away any state secrets or anything, probably more than I should.
Speaker 2: That's a really common one, and it's a perfect example of how those red teaming principles can apply to everyday life. Right, put on your attacker hat for a second. Okay, what kind of information could someone use against you?
Speaker 1: My social media posts could give away my location, routine, my interests, all valuable intel for someone looking.
Speaker 2: To take advantage exactly, So how could you mitigate that risk?
Speaker 1: Well, for starters, I could be more mindful about what I post, I could tweak my privacy settings, be careful about tagging my location, and definitely avoid posting sensitive information.
Speaker 2: Those are all great steps, and it's not just about online security either. Think about your physical security as well.
Speaker 1: Good point, I should probably be more diligent about locking my doors and windows, especially when I'm not home.
Speaker 2: And what about your devices? Do you have strong passwords? Do you use two factor authentication? These are all basic security hygiene practices that can make a big difference.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're making me really, I have some work to do. I definitely need to step up my personal security game.
Speaker 2: We all do. It's an ongoing process, just like red teaming for organizations. It's about being proactive, anticipate threats and taking steps to mitigate those risks.
Speaker 1: So the key takeaway here, yeah, is to apply those same principles of red teaming to our own lives.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: Think like an attacker, identify your vulnerabilities and strengthen your defenses.
Speaker 2: Precisely, take control of your own security and protect yourself from potential harm.
Speaker 1: I love that red team in your life. Yeah, it's a brilliant concept, it is, and something we can all benefit from.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. It's all about empowering yourself with knowledge, right and taking those proactive steps to stay safe.
Speaker 1: This deep dive has been incredible. It has I feel like I've gained a whole new perspective on cybersecurity. Yeah, both professionally and personally.
Speaker 2: Me too. Yeah, it's been fascinating exploring the world of red teaming, yeah, and all its intricacies.
Speaker 1: So to our listeners, we encourage you to keep exploring, keep learning, and keep red teaming your way to a more secure future.
Speaker 2: And remember security is not a destination, it's a journey. Stay stay informed, and stay ahead of the game.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining us for this deep dive into the world of red teaming.
Speaker 2: It's been fun.
Speaker 1: We'll see you next time. See you for another fascinating exploration of the world of cybersecurity.