Speaker 1: Check Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly podcast. Catch the show Monday through Friday, ten am to noon on Check.
Speaker 3: I think you're gonna want to hear this.
Speaker 4: Your local sports coverage lives here.
Speaker 5: And the man wearing Dennis Kurrn's old number six makes it to nothing.
Speaker 2: With John Taylor.
Speaker 5: I was just gonna say underrated egg, deviled egg, and Rick Dolly Wall, now you.
Speaker 3: Gonna go on the couch at eight o'clock tonight, sits down and let's.
Speaker 2: Put it in hears Donnie and Dolly.
Speaker 5: Ten o'clock and Downtown Vacouver Roe of Paul Carson Studio. Thanks for tuning in, folks. It's Donnie and Dolly the team on Check. Don Taylor, along with Rick Dollingwall. Ryan Henderson is our producer. He's the man at the controls our director. The voice of God is Derek Wan.
Speaker 3: How are you? Oh?
Speaker 1: It's Friday.
Speaker 5: All sorts of positive response to our Wadlin dog poll question today. We'll get to that in a second. You'll see what we mean. First of all, we were negligent yesterday. Our friend Barkley Parnetta and the Vancouver Giants have parted ways Barkley GM for the last seven years with the Giants. We wish him the best. Wish to the Giants the best as well. Barkley are pretty much a regular on this show.
Speaker 3: We love them, we love them, and I.
Speaker 5: Think the most disappointing part of this piece of news tongue in cheek is that we don't get to run the barks has Bite commercial anymore. We could probably still run it once in a while for no reason at all, but there was a reason to do that when Barkley was a regular, our semi regular on the show. So all the best to Parnetta and the Vancouver Giants. More hockey in a bit, But I want to mention this. I know you were watching this game last night on one Soccer cruise. A Zoul defeats Puma one nill Thursday in Mexico. So it will be in the final of the CONCA CAF Champions Cup Cruise as well versus the Vancouver white Caps. That's on June first, and it's going to be in Mexico City, not at BC Place.
Speaker 3: And I believe June first is a Sunday and where the white Caps won this year in Mexico. Two or three times they've done really well.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, yep, they've advanced against the two Mexican sides, and then of course the victory over inter Miami, Messi and inter Miami.
Speaker 3: So there you go.
Speaker 5: You can all look forward to June first, and also look for it if you're a white Caps fan, if you're a soccer fan, if you're a Vancouver a sports fan, to more of the white Caps continue there MLS schedule versus Reale Salt Lake. The white Caps on top of the MLS table against Saturday, BC.
Speaker 3: Place, unbeaten in nine games. There you go, Vancouver Warriors.
Speaker 5: Meanwhile, we're all over the place today this first segment saying goodbye to Barkley, mentioning the mentioning cruise AZUL. Vancouver Warriors played tonight in Buffalo, Game one, best of three National Lacross the League Playoffs Semifinal. Game two go Sunday at Rogers Arena. You know the Canucks the way you know the Vancouver Canucks and what they're up to. Well, they're not up to much. Disappointing season, but all the success all around them, including the Vancouver Warriors. Kurt Maloski is going to join US head coaching Jim of the Warriors at the bottom of this hour.
Speaker 3: In our third.
Speaker 5: Segment, also let's get back to hockey. Here we mentioned all the success the Warriors, this Vancouver success minus the Canucks, the Warriors, the White Cap, Abbatsford Canucks. They beat Coachella Valley Down of California yesterday game one, three to one.
Speaker 3: Oh, Maddy Mahuldrop, who is going to be interviewed by the Canucks for the head coaching job. This guy keeps winning? Uh Sea Lov's great and goal twenty nine saves, Jet Wu, Danilla, Klemovic, Donnie and Gilliam breeseball with the goals.
Speaker 5: Game two Saturday. Yeah, and it's it's the best of five, like you say. Game two on Saturday. Then it switches to Abbotsford for the final three games I believe starting Wednesday next week, the final three games if necessary, certainly the third game, but yeah, all three of those games would be next week if necessary. What if Manny Maholtra and the Atbmosford Canucks if this role continues, you know what what happens with him? Is he going to get offers from not just the Vancouver but elsewhere. Hot Commodity but just just his first year as a head coach with this team, not a lot of head coaching experience at the pro level.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and don't forget Travis Green and Utica when he went to the American Hockey League Final. What happened Donnie? He got hired by the Canucks if he goes deep in the playoffs. But my biggest thing with the Knucks coaching search dot are they going to spend money or are they going to take the cheap route? So you're saying that Manny would be I'm not talking. I didn't put him in the cheap category. I'm saying cheaper than some people. Their offer to talk it at the end, it was big. Are they going to make another offer like that or are they going to go a little bit cheaper? That's the million dollar question in their coaching search.
Speaker 5: But it's a tough situation because if you really well, if you really well. First of all, they fired a head coach, so that's that. Not probably they parted ways with a head coach. Rick Talckett left the organization. There's no firing there from what we understand. But if Manny Halter, if they consider him a hot commodity, did you not want to hang on to him. It's so early in his career as a professional head coach. You know what, you get that question, do you go on? Well, let me maybe go somewhere else.
Speaker 3: Here's the great thing for manny molds in another wordanization. There's eight NHL opening, yes, eight, and there could be more. The LA Kings last night. Is that is that going to be another opening? I don't know. It could be nine, you know it could there could be other teams out in round one that fire their coach.
Speaker 5: And the news from the National Hockey League payoffs, but they're great to watch. I mean every night you go home, I turn on Check and then I go back and forth between Check and the National Hockey League playoffs. But it's just tremendous. We said going into these playoffs that it was so disappointing in a way, we look forward to this, that the Avalanche and Stars were going to meet in round one and lo and behold what happens They're going to go to They're going to go to seven games. Just just tremendous entertainment. And McKinnon's goal last night up in the air off Blackwell, it was there.
Speaker 3: Were no there was one screenshot.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you watch the game where there were no Avalanche in the pitcher, there was nobody there.
Speaker 3: McKinnon had been peeled, I was no and they had the.
Speaker 5: End up scoring and the and and that and that was it, And that was just a just a tremendous night of entertainment in Colorado and pretty much everywhere else in the National hockey.
Speaker 3: He go Toronto, Lowton the block shot late in the game. That's the sacrifice of the playoffs. You know, Edmonton comes back from to nothing down. If you're the Kings today, you've lost four straight years in road don to the Oilers. To the Oilers, Like what happens if they meet in the first round again next year? I'm gonna guess the Oilers will win. Yeah, four years. Can you imagine losing to the same team four years?
Speaker 5: People talked about the Kings being favorites. Wow, but can you really is that really the case when you're taking on McDavid. Yeah, once they get up too, I guess at that point you'd think they'd be able to lock it down, especially with that home ice record.
Speaker 3: But McDavid and dry settle around the Oilers.
Speaker 5: But you know, what what did they combine for I think to two points in the last two games.
Speaker 3: It was there.
Speaker 5: It was their depth guys that won that problem. And Calvin Pickard as well well.
Speaker 3: And Pickard four wins in a row. Picker, watch it. He came in last year and look at him. Now. Skinner gave up twelve goals in the first two games. They go to Pickard, He's won fo in a row.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but all those Skinner came back last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So Also when you talk about sacrifices in the in the National Hockey League or just you know, the just how courageous players are? You mentioned the block shot. Victor Hedman, We understand played that Panther series with the broken leg rick.
Speaker 3: There is no other sport. I'm sorry, and I say this all the time. Hockey players are the toughest players on this planet. Victor Hedman played through a broken lake in round one of the playoffs. Think about that. First, she's of Bob Bond. You got soccer players a little kick on the shin doing somersaults because they're oh, you got NBA players. You know what is it when they get arrest? What's it called load management? Load management? This we got Rasmus Anderson played the last twelve games for Calgary with the broken lake Victor hebnan broken leg. Hockey players are the toughest players on this planet and football players are next. But don't ever lump basketball players and don't love soccer players in with hockey.
Speaker 5: The lacrosse and rugby because lacrosse is.
Speaker 3: Tough to uh, rugby too in a scrum, and rugby I.
Speaker 5: Think boxing and m m A is pretty tough as well. There's a lot, but hockey's right up there and they revel in it.
Speaker 3: They love it.
Speaker 5: It's part of part part of the culture. Okay, so we mentioned Victor hebben By the way Mike Sullivan, we knew this wasn't gonna happen. Mike, Mike Sullivan wasn't going to return to Vancouver. He's been hired by the New York Rangers as expected.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: But back to Tampa Bay for a second. We mentioned Victor Hedman. Giome Breezebois, head honcho of the Tampa Bay Landing, has made it clear John Cooper is going to be back. There was some talk that he would be let go and uh maybe be available to come back.
Speaker 3: To his home province. Of BC. He's a BC boy, Prince George. I. I ran into Cooper at the Save on Foods last summer. I think his dad. No, seriously, yeah, I think his dad. What section was it? His dad lives in White Rock, so he I saw him. He was at the counter checking out. Did you say I do him?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: I I because my lady that was checking me out forever I had too many groceries and I wanted to say hi, and then he kind of ran out, and but the lady that was that story had the worst ending ever. I thought you were going to with that. I told the lady, I said, can you speed it up? There's John Cooper. I want to go say hi to him. And she took forever and and hate that. I hate dad and Cooper and his dad went out into the parking lot. I went looking in the parking lot, couldn't find him.
Speaker 5: I had a similar experience with Patrick Alvin really oh at the gas station.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Then I thought to myself, everybody the Canucks hates our show. So I don't know if I wanted to introduce myself, so I didn't.
Speaker 3: I didn't bother do I don't think Patrick Alvin is a fan of us.
Speaker 5: Well, he won't be after he checks out our poll question, the Wattling Dog poll question, and we're bringing this pole question up before we get to it. I just want to say this that oftentimes with our poll question, this is a little look you know, in behind behind the scenes scenes of Donnie and Dolly, the team on check. Our poll question is often a response to the responses we get, the inquiries we get in our Delaney's Okay tire in Langley and all the Grove indox. And this subject has come up a lot in the wake of Rick Tocket's departure, like what's going on with this organization? Maybe it's time for a rebuild. I can't believe you didn't get anything for broad Best or nothing for pe suitor before the deadline. Now they're going to go, you're not gonna get anything for him. So this subject has come up a lot, and the subject is Quinn Hughes. His contract expires in two seasons. After two seasons, it's going to be a UFA. Last time I checked. You know this no trade clause, he doesn't have one. No movement doesn't have a no movement clause. And a lot of people say, you know, is this the time, And you know, we talk a lot about the possibility of a rebuilt this is the time. Maybe you think about letting go of Quinn Hughes in a trading getting a massive haulback. Maybe not next this summer, maybe next summer, whatever the case may be.
Speaker 3: It's a great question. Waddeling Dog poll question.
Speaker 5: Visit one of Victoria's favorite pubs, The Dog, where you could enjoy twenty taps and twenty screens. You're home for the Canucks in UFC. Come sit and stay at the Dog today, all right.
Speaker 1: Ryan, get her up.
Speaker 3: The Waddling Dog pup poll question. When should the canuckstraate Quinn Hughes this summer, next summer? Never, He's going to resign? Almost eleven hundred votes is hopping. It's bop and it's really got some tracks. Your forty nine percent say never because he is going to resign. Thirty seven percent say this summer, fourteen percent say next summer. So there you go. There's a lot of positive people in Vancouver who don't think uh. They say never, he's going to resign. Boy oh boy, I wish boy, oh boy, I wish. I hope they have some evidence of that because Quinn Hughes has really got to look at his Vancouver gonna win.
Speaker 5: He's just been a wonderful player.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's and he's right there with Pavel Burray is one of the best players in franchise history. Donny next year is going to be big. Is he good? He They just got rid of a No, they just parted ways with the coach he loves. Right his good friend Brock Besser could be gone in eight weeks. You know, bo Horvat's gone. They're in disarray right now. They're in disarray right now. You know, it's been a tough year on Quinn Hughes. He played as well as he did with all the drama, with all the drama. He tried to fix Peterson Miller the feud. He tried. He tried. He was the captain. It was his job to try and fix it. Those two guys in that feud screwed the organization on so many levels.
Speaker 5: And he went on He has gone on record several times about just how much he admired Rick Talkin called him last off season the best coach he's ever had. So you just have to wonder how he feels about Talcket leaving the organization his decision. He leaves the organization. What does Quinn Hughes think about that?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 5: He has said, he's gone on record to saying, you know, and I'm paraphrasing here, that he's committed to this, that he's the captain. He really respects the fact that they made that choice to make him captain, and he would love to turn things around. But you have to be realistic. We talked about this yesterday. We've been around watching this team since nineteen seventy and the most connuct thing that could happen spring twenty twenty seven. They're fighting for a playoff spot, you know, trying to eke their way into the playoffs, maybe getting a couple of kind of like this year, maybe getting a couple of playoff home dates. Quenhes is still on the roster, going to be a UFA in a matter of weeks or a month or whatever the case may be. And they keep him hands up leaving for nothing.
Speaker 3: That they won't see that they there's no way, what do you mean they won't done? Are you crazy?
Speaker 1: What do they just do with best?
Speaker 4: You?
Speaker 3: You can't let a franchise player go for nothing. They if they get an indication he's not going to resign, they will load him up.
Speaker 5: You've been paying attention. Oh like Besser, what suitor? What going back to the Benning era? What management group? But this is a franchise player. You can't let him walk for nothing. Come on, but they did. They just did it with Besser.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but Besser is not on the level of Hughes. No give talking franchise defense man. You can't see them. They get an inkling that Quinn's gone through Quinn and his agent, they will move him and get a ton of assets back. You can't let that guy walk for nothing. Done. Come on, you can't.
Speaker 5: But would you be surprised if they did? You know, all because you know you might get a couple of playoff dates.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Oh, I just think it's food for thought at the very least.
Speaker 5: And again, a lot of what we're doing here is in response to the inbox. We're getting a lot of people saying, is this the time.
Speaker 3: Quinn Hughes is the single most important player person in this franchise? Right now?
Speaker 5: There's what's coming up on the show DTMZ.
Speaker 3: Is it just me?
Speaker 5: In the eleven o'clock hour, Stuart Johnson is going to join us. The television executive a long time at TSN. He's the president of TSN. He has left that company much like we did, not exactly the same as we did, but he has left that company to become the fifteenth Commissioner of the Canadian Football League CFL. Camps are opening in a matter of days. Stuart's going to join us just after eleven o'clock. Big ride the Twitter guy later this hour Kurt Mulawsky. We mentioned this head coach GM of the Vancouver Warriors. Big Playoff Game, Big Playoff Series. It starts tonight in Buffalo. They return to Vancouver to play the Bandits on Sunday, Game two. It's the best of three, and up next to talk about the Canucks from the Athletic Thomas Trantz.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much for tuning in, Folks. Donnie and Dolly the team on check.
Speaker 2: Donnie and Dolly the team is supported by Ableauctions dot CA Closing your Business we can help.
Speaker 5: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business.
Speaker 3: And sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner. Online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories, or any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 5: For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold. Please email sales at able Auctions dot Ca. That's sales at a b l E Auctions dot Ca.
Speaker 3: The Bayside Resort is a boutique luxury resort like no other. Nestled on the bluff above beautiful Parksville Beach, Utiful ocean front property pride themselves on offering an uncompromising fusion of West Coast authenticity and bespoke luxury. Their guests have come to expect a truly personal experience where all senses are indulged.
Speaker 1: The setting is gorgeous, the memories last a lifetime.
Speaker 3: Whether you're looking for a panoramic ocean viewer, an on site fitness center, indoor outdoor pool, ocean front restaurant, lounge, high speed internet access, or the perfect place for your next corporate event, the Bayside Ocean Front Resort the perfect choice any time of the year. Called two five zero, two four eight eight triple three and.
Speaker 1: Book your stay today.
Speaker 5: Friday and all of our guests today, including Thomas Strant standing by brought to you by the Bayside ocean Front Resort. Looking for a midweek escape close to home. PCI residents say fifteen percent on weekdays stays at the Bayside in Parksville, relaxed by the ocean, enjoy great dining and unwined with island hospitality and golf over there.
Speaker 3: Rick oh book.
Speaker 5: Now at Bayside Resort, Parksville, Dot Comb. As the Stanley Cup playoffs continue, Sands the Vancouver Canucks, we bring in from the athletic Thomas Strants, our first chance to talk to him since the departure of Rick Cockett from Vancouver.
Speaker 3: Thomas, Thanks for doing this, sir.
Speaker 1: How are you doing well?
Speaker 6: Gentlemen? Thanks for having me.
Speaker 5: What was your reaction to that piece of news Rick Cockett no longer with the Canucks?
Speaker 6: You know, I wasn't shocked.
Speaker 7: I will say I think as the weak dragged on, the organization was surprised, but not shocked itself.
Speaker 6: There was a.
Speaker 7: Feeling internally that the longer this went, the more likely it was that he'd depart.
Speaker 6: You know, I do think there'd been at least some.
Speaker 7: Measure of thinking about sort of trade offs if they had to change coaches. That sort of occurred over the weekend and early next week, as I think the club began to read the writing on the wall, despite the fact that they'd been in you know, a sort of conversations, planning conversations, round table meetings with Rick Talckett about sort of what this team would look like and what the off season would look like. I think the part of it that didn't I wouldn't say caught me off guard, but that I thought was interesting was, you know, it's the head coach who trusts the management group involved, who's had success with them, you know, who sort of has built really close relationships, not just with key Canucks players like Quinn Hughes and Connor Garland, but you know, organizationally speaking, right is close with a variety of staffers from you know, the team's chef up through the sort of the ownership ranks and obviously up to the president of hockey Operations. And you know, I know that he wrestled long and hard with this decision, that it was not something that he decided to do lightly. And you know, I think the fact that ultimately it's difficult for me to interpret the decision as being sort of divorced from his assessment of how straightforward or how clean a path this franchise has to winning, right, given the uncertainty around all three of this team's best players, right, the injury uncertainty around Denco stemming from this season, the deterioration of the LEAs Petterson's play, Quinn Hughes's contract timeline, right. And then you think about sort of the internal dynamics, the difficulty of the year from Talket's perspective, but from a lot of people internally's perspective as well. And you know, you think about Talkeet's history, a guy who managed the Tampa Bay Lightning before they were the best practices Tampa Bay Lightning under Jeff Finnick, right, who worked for the laundromat Arizona Coyotes when they were the height of NHL dysfunction and under investment. And you know, he comes to Vancouver and it looks like he's got this path with the stable organization and people he's one with, and then this season occurs and I think you sort of throw all of that into the cauldron, as it were, stir it up, and you know, for a guy in his early sixties, who's as hard working and dedicated and as competitive as Rick Talkt is. You know, I sort of think about this through the lens of talk It, thinking to himself like, don't I owe it to myself at this point in my career to give myself the best chance.
Speaker 6: Possible to win?
Speaker 7: And you know that to me is sort of a heavy set of reflections both for the Canucks organizationally and for its fans in terms of what comes next.
Speaker 3: And what is going to be next the new coach. I think the biggest question with a new coach, Thomas, is when we find out, do you think they're gonna spend big on the new coach or go cheap? Which direction they go? There will decide the new coach. Should they spend big bucks here go cheap?
Speaker 7: I think you spend big bucks if it's the right I you know what, I I don't think you need to ben big just to bring in Peter Laviolette because there's a relationship there and because it's the name.
Speaker 6: And because it would help you win the press conference. Like, I don't think that's the right play.
Speaker 7: You know, I don't have a problem with a team finding an elite American league bench boss and trusting that guy to do the work.
Speaker 6: You think about Spencer.
Speaker 7: Carberry, who's up for the Jack Adams. I know he's a big fan of your show, and I'm a big fan of his work.
Speaker 3: And.
Speaker 6: I like when I'm on it. No, I love your show.
Speaker 7: You guys rock the you know, But Spencer Carberry was an American league bench boss, an elite American league bench boss who's translated immediately at the NHL level. John Cooper was an elite HL bench bench boss. Jared Bednar an elite AHL bench boss. Like, I like going out and finding sort of one of, if not the best American league coaches and giving them a long look. You know, if you're talking about guys in that sort of Todd Nelson in range, like, I'm interested. That piques my interest as much as hiring a top NHL assistant or hiring, you know, a retread coach. So you know, I would I would think that given the fact that this organization was willing to open up the war chest for talcket right, that you hope that money.
Speaker 6: Won't be the sticking point.
Speaker 7: Then it'll be maybe part of the equation, but not the determinative factor in who this Canucks team lands. At this point in this franchise's history, it's readily apparent that they need the right person, not the maybe or they need the right person, they don't need the right price point in naming Rick Talcket's successor this summer, I think that's abundantly clear.
Speaker 1: Out of Foot.
Speaker 3: Uh, he's going to get looks, he's going to get interviews, he's gonna I mean, but just if you go with let's see, let's say you go with Maddy Maholtra, you got to make sure there's experience there on the bench with him. Yes, you you can't just go Maddy Mahultra and then have the the Dean Twins there or you know, someone would not experience. Adam Foot, if they ever could retain him, would be pretty huge.
Speaker 6: As a head coach.
Speaker 1: No, No, as an assistants.
Speaker 7: Oh man, I feel like that's going to be very, very difficult, just in terms of you know, first of all, I expect him to garner head coaching interest. I wouldn't be shocked at all if he ends up being part of the Canucks process. And you know, if he doesn't end up being a head guy, I would imagine that you know, Talkeet's staff not unlike what we saw a few years ago with Tortorella and Brad Shaw in Philadelphia, right, I mean, the you know, it's it's important.
Speaker 6: It's vital for a coach to have their guy.
Speaker 7: Especially the guy who runs the defense, who they know they're in lockstep with. And you know, I think in terms of keeping him as an assistant, especially in a world where talking ends up with one of the well moneyed Eastern Conference teams, one of the NHL's blue butt bloods, you know, that's probably.
Speaker 6: A pretty difficult trick to pull off. I think, you know, at this.
Speaker 7: Point, my expectation would be that Talktt will be some part of this process from a Canucks perspective, and I know the club would love to keep him, but I almost wonder if you don't promote him, do you have a path to doing that? And that's not me reporting, that's just me reading the tea leaves here, But that's sort of how I view that situation in terms of foots head coaching candidacy. I think it's interesting because he's never been a head coach at the professional level, right, I mean, he had one season in Kelowna, in the WHL and it wasn't a super successful season, you know. I mean I worry, for example, about Manny Malhotra's experience, and not not that I don't think he's experienced enough so much as given the difficulty around this team stemming from this season and the stakes for the organization of getting it right. You know, if Malhotra is your choice, and even if you think he's the right guy, are you putting him in a fair position to succeed right?
Speaker 6: I mean, that would be my concern.
Speaker 7: And at least Malhotra has got a full year of professional head coaching experience under his belt, you know, So that would be the sort of one thing that would certainly make me raise my eyebrows in talking about or thinking about Foots candidacy for the head coaching job. Although, man, it's clear that he's a very talented teacher, and you know, he got a lot out of this defensive group, there can be no question about that.
Speaker 5: Talking with Thomas Drants, Thomas, you brought up a name there that I think a lot of people in this market may have forgotten about. This is a couple of answers ago, and that's that's Todd Nelson, who had a short run as an infrom head coach with the Evanton Oders that missed the playoffs. This is back in twenty fourteen, twenty fifteen. He's one called trophies with Calder Cups rather as a head coaching grand rap. It's a couple in Hershey, you mentioned his name. Would he be considered a strong candidate in your estimation?
Speaker 7: Well, I mean I think he's a strong candidate for any of these vacancies. You know, after the absolute A list guys, I you know, struggled understand why this guy wouldn't get a shot. You know, we've again we've seen like the best profile of head coach to bet on is elite American league coach. This guy's won three of the last four Calder Cup trophies that he has competed for with his teams, you know, and and that was separated with a pretty successful stint as an assistant coach on Rick Bonus's staff in Dallas. I mean, you know, I just I look at this and just say, I mean, if you're looking for a merit base, let's go find the best coach we can find. You know, given the profile, given what succeeds at the NHL level from from first time NHL head coaches or you know, roughly first time NHL head coaches. Todd Nelson's never had a chance with the full team. I mean, profile of guy who always wins sounds pretty good to me.
Speaker 6: Boys, What do you think?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, well kind of fans will take time.
Speaker 6: Right who always wins? Yeah, Like, that's what I want on my resume. That's what I want on my head coach's resume.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, but you may.
Speaker 5: You made the point about Cooper and bed Gnar and carb room where they cut their teeth. You know what, This show is at its best when you're on it, Thomas.
Speaker 1: Was it official now? It wouldn't go that far.
Speaker 3: It's official now.
Speaker 6: All the people turn it off when my ugly mug appears.
Speaker 5: Looking good, buddy, don't don't, don't let them get to you.
Speaker 1: Thanks for this, Thomas, Thanks, boys, appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thomas Grant's the athletic. So there's a name.
Speaker 5: I don't know about you, but I haven't heard much about it, and that's Todd Nelson, And people may have forgotten his unsuccessful I want to call it a run because it was he had one year within the Oilers staff, you know, the first part of the season as an assistant that he takes off as a head coach. They missed the playoffs twenty fourteen, twenty fifteen. Mind you know that, I think about it. Twenty fourteen, twenty fifteen. You don't want to be in the playoffs. That year they were in the lottery. Yeah, that's twenty fifteen draft. This guy's this There should be a statue for him that's outside of Rogers Place in Edmonton. Well in the lottery that you aren't got themselves, McDavid. But he did, as Thomas mentioned, three Calder Cup championships, one with Grand Rapids, A two with Hershey, A the two with Hershey in the last couple of seasons since getting back to the going going back to the American Likely League, and he had a run as an assistant with Dallas in between. That's the name we haven't heard anything about.
Speaker 3: But to take a guy from another American League team when Maddy's doing what he's doing in your backyard, it's a tough question. It's a tough I don't see that happening, but who knows.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we got a break, Okay, a break will update the poll question next Donny Delling the team on Jet.
Speaker 3: Our podcast is brought to you in part by birds Nest Properties, Lower Mainlands leader in rental property management for finding a tenant, to collecting rents and property maintenance. Bird's Nest Properties delivers five star property management services with the reviews up. Prove it birds Nest Properties your Vancouver property managers who take care of everything so you don't have to own a rental property. Give the folks at birds Nest Property as a call today six O four two six to zero, double nine, double five, or visit Birdsnest Properties dot Ca.
Speaker 5: All of today's guests, including Kurt Maulawski standing by head coach GM with the Vancouver Warriors Big game tonight in Buffalo, brought to you by our friends at the Bayside Oceanfront Resort.
Speaker 3: Again. It is the Vancouver Warriors.
Speaker 5: National Cross League Semifinal tonight in Buffalo against the Buffalo Bandits. Game two Sunday at Rogers Arena, Game three if necessary, Saturday May tenth, in Buffalo. Bakurt doesn't want to talk about games two games three. He iss here to talk about Game one tonight in Buffalo, Live from Upstate New York. A regular on this show these days, Kurt and MALASKI, how you doing, sir.
Speaker 1: Good guys, Thanks for having me on again. I'm getting used to it, and like, how much.
Speaker 5: Fun are you having right now? With all this winning going on? Seven straight wins?
Speaker 6: It's been good.
Speaker 8: It's been you know, it's been good for our fans, it's been good for the organization, good for the province, and you know, we just got to keep it going.
Speaker 5: Hey, Kurt, seven straight wins and we hear so much about Christian del Bianco and Keegan Ball, but what other players are stepping up for? What other players are stepping up for you right now?
Speaker 8: I think go On Grant's been really strong, you know, he's getting the ball up and down the floor. I thought Jeff Cornell's had a phenomenal second half of the season. He's finally healthy and he's getting up and down the floor well, and he's doing his feed and being physical. And I think up front like it kind of is one of our older guys. It's Kevin Crowley. He's been playing really well and up creating a lot of space for keeping Balie that a couple of goals last game in the playoff games. So you know, those are a couple of guys I consider all day talk with everyone, but those be a couple jump out at me.
Speaker 1: Hey, Kurt, it doesn't matter what sport.
Speaker 3: Defense wins championships against Rochester six block shots, eternal verse, three for three on the PK. That's got to continue in your eyes, Kurt.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you got to win the special team games, no question. And that's a big part of it. And yeah, you know we're built from the goaltender out, and you know that's something that we put ourselves on. So it you know, that translates straight through the team. And the fact that if you get big stops at the back end and they're one and done possessions and your offense gets those clocks that we talked about grinding down and it takes a little bit of pressure off of them and the fact that they don't they don't.
Speaker 6: Squeeze their sticks.
Speaker 8: So built from the back end out, but it translates to the whole team.
Speaker 3: Hey, you guys got the great goalie, but so it is Buffalo Matt Vink. This guy's leading all goalies in the playoffs, and say percentage, how tough is it going to be to score on this guy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's not easy, you know what.
Speaker 8: They jam it in and they have a lot of shop blockers. They actually got a lot of guys just standing in front of the net and the crease and they just you got to shoot through five, five, five or six guys and it's tough. But you know what I want. Watched San Diego last week. They they played on the outside, they didn't get to the middle. Hopefully we can get some schemes to get our guys to the middle of the floor. You know, Bave, you know, only let in four last game, but you know, I like to think that it's tough to do again. And you know, we're going to test him early and often. We'll make them work for it, for sure.
Speaker 5: You sound you sound pretty pumped up right now. I know you're busy, Kurt and all that, But uh my nephew, Doug Taylor, friend of yours, just texted me moments ago. He needs some tickets for Sunday, So forget about the game tonight.
Speaker 1: If you could.
Speaker 3: Focus on that in the next hour, Kurt, we'd really appreciate it. Thanks for this, buddy.
Speaker 5: Tell Douggie's got him all right, Okay, thanks, great, has to text you. I got these relatives. They always talk about our show and tell me what we need to do on our show. But apparently you don't know when our show is on because he texts me in the middle of the day.
Speaker 3: Can you get me some Warriors tickets? Golf?
Speaker 1: Dougie's the worst. He's your worst relative, no question matter.
Speaker 3: I don't know about that. Okay, what do we do?
Speaker 5: It's got some time here. Yeah, well, dog, let's do that. It's the Watling Dog poll question. Visit one of Victoria's as Rick came up with this poll. It is one of Victoria's favorite pubs where you can enjoy twenty caps, twenty screens. You're home for the Canucks in UFC. Come sit and stay at the Dog today. No shortage of people in the inbox, the Delaney's inbox wondering if maybe the time to trade Quinn Hughes or at least consider it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And now waddling Dog puppole question win. Should the Canucks move Hughes this summer, next summer? Never he's going to resign? Never He's going to resign? Is leading at forty nine percent thirteen hundred votes already thirty seven percent say this summer and fifteen percent say next summer. Look, we have to talk about Quinn Hughes because he just lost his favorite coach in Vancouver. You know he might lose his good friend Brock Besser in a few weeks. Don you know? The Pederson's been in a funk this year? How happy is he? You know, his brothers are in New Jersey. He's a UFA. He could go play with the brothers, or for that matter, anywhere in a couple of years.
Speaker 1: So it is a question.
Speaker 3: It is a concern. And I would love to get his reaction to Rick Talckett leaving because he has stated that he loves Rick Tockett and Rick Tockett's his favorite coach of all time dot.
Speaker 5: But does that mean he's bound to leave in a couple of season? The cuts help the Cuttings have to get a sense of where is that? And he has said that he is so honored to be the captain of this team and he wants, he wants to do his best to turn things around. And I believe him. But I always just think to myself that New Jersey team, and look they were playing without their best player, his brother in the playoffs. There's a lot going on there for him to be watching his brothers down the line. If they have a lot of success, that'll be tough, and you wonder what that means for him and his future in Vancouver. I think people wouldn't understand that. But in the meantime, if you think, if you get a sense he's gonna leave.
Speaker 3: You have to jump on it.
Speaker 5: Maybe sooner the better because right now this is one of the best players in the league. That's a that's a team friendly contract.
Speaker 3: He's got. Absolutely you can get a lot for that.
Speaker 1: You nailed it.
Speaker 3: The most important thing is once Hughes and his agent tip the Canucks off, they want out move him right away. Get it done done, get it done. Okay, can we go down memory lane here? We got time for this, right ed Van imp Yeah. Flyer, Philadelphia Flyer.
Speaker 5: Has passed away at the age of eighty four. And if you don't know who he is, I didn't realize this. Nineteen sixty seven, he was a Calder Trophy runner up to Bob Yure. This is when he was playing with the Chicago Blackhawks. He moves on to play for the Philadelphia Flyers, spends several seasons there wearing number two, an important part of the broad Street Bullies and their two Stanley Cup championships in nineteen seventy four in nineteen seventy five, and he has left us at the age of eighty four. As I mentioned, those flyers were something else. I was afraid just his name sounded scary.
Speaker 3: Ed van Imp.
Speaker 5: Everybody on that run, they had scary names. Got about a there was do Moose DuPont. Moose DuPont scared them, scared of the names Bob how Dog Kelly, How Dog Kelly was there.
Speaker 3: So Ed van Imp gained a lot of notoriety and we ran this clip. Barry McDonald loved this clip.
Speaker 5: So much back in the day at ten forty. But Ed van Imp is the flyer who hit the late great Valerie Karlamov, who hit Valerie Karlamov. Van coming out of the penalty box, knocked down, knocked out Valerie Karlamov. The Russians were getting this was the Red Army team, not the Russian national team. They were getting hit left and right by the tough, tough flyers, and they didn't like it. They didn't like what van Imp was up to, and man it created all sorts of chaos to the point where the Russians left the ice. So we want to show you this as we go back to it was in nineteen seventy five. It was just cheiosh in Philadelphia, and it all started with ed Vanum.
Speaker 1: How it comes to the lion and this is kick maylob going down.
Speaker 9: The penalty is hover fires that post ran let pla. Oh again, Trlamov is really fulted by Vandam and.
Speaker 1: He's us playing on the ice and from.
Speaker 9: The penalty box ran into her lam Off a Soviet troll standing up.
Speaker 3: They want a penalty.
Speaker 9: But I'll tell you, Dick, that was a solid check and I didn't see too.
Speaker 1: Much wrong with it.
Speaker 10: They are leaving the eight, they're gonna go. The Soviets are leaving. They're going home. They're going home. Yeah, they're going home. Can you imagine then he's been a short afternoon.
Speaker 11: Oh it's terrible, acting like a very frustrated hockey club. And I think that it's playing forest sportsmanship. And you believe it, Dennis, I certainly can't believe it. I thought they'd have a little more pride and play the game.
Speaker 9: In seventy two, in Moscow.
Speaker 1: We stayed and we.
Speaker 9: Took it all and in seventy four and now no Philadelphia fires going around a little bit and they're going home.
Speaker 5: Oh there's no penalty. No, no penalty on the play. And that was supposed to be about Ed Van.
Speaker 3: Bob Cole kind of stole the show there.
Speaker 5: He was in the booth with Dick Irving and Danny Pottan who was playing for the Islanders back then it was nineteen seventy six, not nineteen seventy five. January eleventh, to be exacted. They came back and they finished the game.
Speaker 3: I missed those highlights on I could watch that all day.
Speaker 5: Ed Van leaving us at the age of eighty four. Business Saturday, Able Auctions will sell the contents of an appliance and kitchen distribution company, hundreds of brand new appliances, hundreds of stainless steel sinks and a lot more fridges to over two hundred wall ovens to over one thousand stainless steel sinks, all sold to the highest bidder this Saturday. For info on this massive kitchen auctions, go to able Auctions dot c A. They're going home to get your business inventories holding auction Email sales at able Auctions dot CA. That's sales at a b l E Auctions dot C. A big Rye is next. Donnie and Dolly the team my check. Love the crack of a baseball bat or the smell of hot dogs. The Vancouver Canadians have you covered.
Speaker 3: Come enjoy a Vancouver summer tradition with three foot hot dogs, sushi races, fireworks and blue j prospects, all at the iconic Rogers Field and not Bailey Stadium.
Speaker 5: Visit Canadians Baseball dot com to get your tickets into tails on all the summer fun the Seas have to offer.
Speaker 3: That's Canadians Baseball dot com. Come for the fun and stay for the baseball.
Speaker 5: Just I had a big rye the Twitter guy. This in the Lady's Okay tire and Langley and Aldergrove inbox. It's unsigned signed the text folks, you want to give you credit? Uh, I'm just gonna paraphrase here. But somebody mentioned that Todd Nelson is more than a valuable candidate. But don't forget about Mike Yo and we brought his name up yesterday. Or was doing some pretty special things with Travis Green in Ottawa, and I feel the same way about mike Yo in Ottawa as I felt about mike Yo and Vancouver. Like Rick Talktt was constantly talking to him on the bench. You saw him deferring to him, asking for advice. He saw that a lot with Travis Green in Ottawa. He's got a lot of respect. So an interesting name there, along with Todd Nelson, who Thomas Drantz.
Speaker 1: Brought up, Big Ry, Big Grab the Twitter guy. I brought to you by siriy Mitzubishi. Check out a vast selection of new and used vehicles Excepter, no carcare and customer service. Visit them one eight two zero one to Fourth Avenue in Surrey today or online anytime at Serri Mitsubishi dot CA. I don't think you guys talked about this, but I've got to be honest. I was tuning you out most of this hour. Good but the Jack Adams finalists are out in the National Hockey League right The finalists are Rick Talckett. Now I'm just kidding, Scott ar I had you for a second. Scott O'Neil, Spencer Carbury, friend of the show, loves Taylor and Martin Saint Louis in Montreal.
Speaker 3: Where's another friend of the show, of course, Travis Green. Yeah, yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 1: That's a good point. But let's be honest. I think they had more of an up and down season than these other guys. I mean, look at Arneil make the playoffs for the first time. But Rick, that happened late, right, that happened Like when did the castererbou.
Speaker 3: Do you expect him to make the playoffs?
Speaker 1: But okay, who are you taking out Arneil? President Trophy winner? Carbury was Friend of the Show, So no, the second best team right in the NHL was the Caps. There's Carbury and Saint Louis am I in sant Lui or Green flip the coin. There was dead last. More was dead last in the NHL in December first, so he had one hell of a second half so obviously propelled them.
Speaker 5: Well, it's it's the Jack Adams Award. Is the Coach of the Year award. It's also the coach that has done the most with the least or the coach that has whose team has exceeded expectations.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's the case with all three of them.
Speaker 5: Nobody expected the Jets to first overall, Scott O'Neil.
Speaker 1: Maybe not first overall, but yeah, maybe you expected them to be first overall.
Speaker 3: I know that the regular seasons have been pretty good, that's the thing.
Speaker 1: I mean, they've been on an incline here over the lasted a while. Now, the bigger story here is once these whoever wins this, when they're fired next year, where will they end up? Because as you've been talking about that, what's been happening. We're talking Jack Adams winners, you're fired shortly thereafter because of one reason.
Speaker 3: Or you leave.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So in other words, maybe the Canucks should hire a short term head coach, right because Carbury's gonna get win this thing and get fired. He's gonna get fired right in the near term. Then bring him home.
Speaker 5: Why do you always go but you're the same way. You guys are always negative.
Speaker 1: I'm just I'm having a little fun. I'm joking. I'm not expecting any of these guys to get fired. But it's interesting that, of course two of the coaches here faced off.
Speaker 3: In round one.
Speaker 1: My votes don't for Travis Green, of course.
Speaker 3: Just stop it.
Speaker 1: I was praying last night that they were going to find a way to eat that thing to seven games, no matter what happened. If the Leafs end up winning in seven, fine, but the sweat, the sweat factor over the next couple of days in Toronto is what I was hoping for.
Speaker 3: And again, you know, I like the least like the team. I know, it's just the cover else.
Speaker 1: Especially this version, right because now you have Tan f there easy to pull for. Morgan Riley, hometown kid. He's always easy to pull for. Right, you got the oel factor with Toronto. But no, you're right, it's the coverage that makes it. I mean Austin Matthews, Oh yeah, and he's gonna get that bag for sure. Okay, last night the other thing from last night, we were talking about the Leafs, but another thing, Vegas over Minnesota. Minnesota out. How about this? This is from OPTA stats. Okay, already paid attention. The Minnesota Wild of the first team in MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL history to make the playoffs eight plus times in a ten year span but lose in the opening round every single time. I mean, that's some pain for you. That is pain. Eight out of ten years, you make the well eight plus times by eight out of ten years, you make the postseason out in the first round every time.
Speaker 5: If you're a Minnesota fan, you wish they didn't have the injury as they did, particular the one the Caprice off. Yeah about Joel eric Knek as well. Maybe they finished higher, they don't have to play Vegas in the first round. It's also even though I mean, who knows.
Speaker 3: Oh, I mean yeah, but they made the playoffs with all that dead money. They should be given credit. They should be given credit. Next year they're gonna have cap space, but they got to give a.
Speaker 5: Ton of Hopefully their some a couple of their best players stay healthy.
Speaker 1: And is Brockbaster going to be in one of those uniforms next year?
Speaker 3: Or maybe Quinn will be traded?
Speaker 1: What do you know? What do you know? I never would Here's something. Are you are you reporting Brockbaster to Minnesota?
Speaker 3: Ryan if he hits July first, you don't think that the Minnesota while they're gonna call probably yeah.
Speaker 1: Probably everybody everybody goes down that too easily.
Speaker 3: He's from there. I know, I think you knew that.
Speaker 1: But as you bring up all the time, look at how many BC boys had a chance to play here and didn't take it.
Speaker 5: Right NHL, A lot of players don't want to play in their hometowns.
Speaker 3: I mean, look at, especially early on.
Speaker 1: Right things happen. Look at Brendan Dylan. We had on the show almost a year ago to the day, right, and he was essentially saying, I want to come home to Vancouver, and then what happened to.
Speaker 3: The Caducts offer or perceived offer was nowhere near the three point five million he got in New Jersey.
Speaker 1: So you go.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: The one thing I will say though, was Judd Brackett not part of the group that drafted brockbaster here in Vancouver?
Speaker 3: Yes? He was.
Speaker 1: And Judd Brackett is wearing now Rick. Yeah, but he's a scouting guy that if he was, he's in there. He's high up in the organization. He's not going to bed. Yeah, he's dealing with the junior hockey players. He doesn't make July first the decisions. The scouts would have some kind of information on players, though, would they not.
Speaker 3: Hey, the Brockbastard to Minnesota is impossibility. I mean, let's just leave it at that. You said done deal, mom, stop?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I tell you what you cannot question right now? Jud Brackett maybe the best name in the history organization. He doesn't get better than Judd Bracket.
Speaker 1: Hey, there's another guy that left this organization, remember that whole thing. He was another regime, another regime that was Benning and wise broadly screwed that one up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what happened, Well they did. They couldn't agree on the power of It came down to the power of the first back pick, and Benny wanted more, saying the first round pick, and Brackett said no. Brackett also didn't want to take Pod Colson. It was about that was a betting pick. He wanted to take Boldy in Minnesota. And what's bolding every guy who says that, like you, Okay, you asked me what happened? Now though I was saying, yeah.
Speaker 1: Benny wanted Cody Klass, maybe he was right. I mean, after all this, well, I can't believe I'm saying that. But anyway, that's true in there, because there's a lot of ghosts of of people passed.
Speaker 3: The people involved with the regime. But for Benning will tell you they wanted Dylan Larkin, not for Tannon. That's right.
Speaker 1: Hey, Well that Larkin may still end up here. Who knows what happens in Detroit. His gems feuding with him. So I don't know if you guys saw calling him out in a roundabout way.
Speaker 3: That presser wasn't very good testing. He was very testy with the men. Yeah, but Donny, he hasn't done anything there since he got there. Like they're all over The media is all over them. You know, where's the Steve Good parts there? You know, really working.
Speaker 1: By the way, the broadcast was all over pud Colson's performance last night for Edmonton blocking it. He blocked a ton of shots last night. He had a scoring chance late that. He's the forces in that series. I think he's been good. And what did the Canucks have? Sweet Diddy? What did the Canucks get for pud Colson? A fourth thrown pair Brackett and the rights to Jed Brackett's Coming up next? For the first time on this program, we talked new CFL Commissioner Stuart Johnson.
Speaker 3: He's up next.
Speaker 1: It's Donnie Donnie the team I'd check.
Speaker 5: Hey everyone, it's Donnie and Dolly and we're looking to partner with your company.
Speaker 3: We have several packages and price points to fit your budget and spread the word about your company on the show, in our podcast, and on social media.
Speaker 5: We'd love to get involved with your company called two five oh eight eight oh twenty two eighty two or email advertise at checkmedia dot ca.
Speaker 3: Friday and all.
Speaker 5: Today's guests, including new CFL Commissioner Stuart Johnson, standing by, brought to you by the Bayside Oceanfront Resort.
Speaker 3: Looking for a midweek escape close to home.
Speaker 5: VC residents say fifteen percent on weekday stays the Bayside Oceanfront Resort in Parksville. Relaxed by the ocean, enjoy great donning and unwined with island hospitality. Booked out at Bayside Resort, Parksville dot com join now by only appointed a CFL Commissioner, Stuart Johnson, who joins the CFL after long and distinguished career as at TSN executive fifteenth CFL Commissioner, replacing our friend Randy and Brosie. I spent close to three decades at TSN, where he advanced from an intern. Rick, you should listen to this. Maybe this will happen to you to network President Stewart joins us now, Stuart, thanks for doing this, sir.
Speaker 4: How are you I'm doing great. Good to see again.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Hey, hey Stuart, you started at TSN in nineteen ninety seven as an intern. We know the business. What were your duties back then? We know what interns get up to.
Speaker 4: Yes, indeed, there was a lot of coffee, serving, a lot of printing for others, and I was I think my title was Junior Network scheduler And I can tell you I was so excited to be a part of that environment. They could have asked me to do anything. In fact, I think scrub the toilets was next, but it was. It was an amazing journey.
Speaker 5: So what is it about you? And I'm going to allow you to brag about yourself here was it? What is it about you that allowed you to rise from intern to TSN president to CFL commissioner.
Speaker 4: Well, I'll brag in a second. I'll start with with an acknowledgment and maybe be a little humble to say that kind of journey doesn't happen without some luck and and it also doesn't happen without incredible mentors, uh, and just a great group of people to work with. So that that that's a starting point. But perhaps you know it starts, It starts with passion for me, which leads to an incredibly strong work ethic. I love what I do. I love working with people. I like building relationships, and I like negotiating deals, and and all of that came together with the you know, with my career at TSN and then ultimately at Bell Media and some other roles, and then here I think that those same skills will apply as commissioner. I'm just so excited to be starting this journey.
Speaker 5: We all love working in broadcasting.
Speaker 3: It's addictive, it's a fun, it's a lot of fun. You can get well paid.
Speaker 5: Was this a difficult decision to make this move to CFL commissioner?
Speaker 4: Yes, and no. It was difficult because I was living my first dream job, and in fact, you know, my recent expansion of my portfolio and the media business was to takeover leadership of the entire content team, which included all of non sports entertainment and new the news division, which was new to me. So I had continued to learn, continue to be excited by the media industry, and so that was tough to leave. But no, it was some difficult When I really sat back and chatted with my wife and we talked about you know, what's important to me and what and seeing you know, she knows what my history with football is. My history was sport, and to lead an organization like the CFL and its member clubs was just too great an opportunity to pass out.
Speaker 3: Stuart, You're talking to two guys that used to go to Empire Stadium in the seventies and in the eighties. Right here, we still go to lines games.
Speaker 2: Rah.
Speaker 3: One of the biggest problems I see is not enough young fans. And I see kids in their twenties doing NFL pools, NFL fantasy, this fantasy that I got two boys in the mid twenties. I can't get them to go to the lines game. How do you get younger fans?
Speaker 4: I think it's twofold. Number one. I'm gonna I'm gonna go glass half full on your kids and their friends. Is they are enjoying football. They are enjoying the digital aspects of football in fantasy. And so I think of that as an opportunity if we as a lead can attract and reach that younger fan base with the appropriate content on the appropriate platforms, which isn't necessary to just get them to watch live games, but those same things that had them maybe initially engaged with the NFL, are totally applicable to the CFL. So I think there's work for us to do there. I think the social media teams at all the clubs are doing a fabulous job. Lots of room to continue to grow there. Same at the league office. So short term, I think it's about choosing your platform, getting the right content, because the sport lends itself to the younger generation's interests and your example proves that out. I think long term, I just want more kids playing football. And I think if you were going to Empire games back in the seventies and eighties, you love football and you you you get how fun a sport it is, and and so on. A long from a more long term vision is using flag. Use it the introduction of flag and the Olympics and get kids playing football. I think that makes them fans for life.
Speaker 3: Stuart, we know the CFL strong in the Prairies. Winnipeg has been on a huge role lately. I'm just doing really well. But Vancouver and Toronto have had troubles over the years. Sometimes Montreal, but you know, they've been up and down. But Toronto and Vancouver, how can you be more consistent there with bigger crowds.
Speaker 4: Well, I think that we've seen an incredible turnaround in success in Vancouver and Montreal, and Toronto has seen growth in attendance, albeit from a smaller base each of the last number of years. So what there is that the momentum is there, we've got and behind that momentum is incredible ownership. Those three, those three teams that you've mentioned just have relatively new impressive ownership groups. But you know, really the end of the day, it's a grind. It's a grind. It's making sure that you are reaching every potential ticket buyer with the right message at the right time. You're you're in the community, making sure you're demonstrating what is so special about the CFL. There isn't a magic potion. It is. It is hard work. And I think the folks in the those other markets that are stold a few more tickets in they're in their stadiums, have proven that out it is. They're not They don't just rely on on a fan base. They work it, uh and and I think that's what all of us intend to do.
Speaker 5: Hey, Stuart, we've been hearing about this for years A tenth CFL team, likely in the Maritimes. I know you've answered this question a million times in the last month or so, but where do you stand on that.
Speaker 4: Starting point? Is? I would love attempts to a tenth team would be fabulous for this league. So let me be super clear about that. What I've how I've answered that question though, is is a finding that tenth team is not a top priority of mine. If a great potential ownership group comes with a plan, a stadium plan and the wherewithal to make something happen, we are going to have that conversation. But I want to focus on things, at least to start my tenure here as commissioner, on things I can control and things I can control include driving partnership, revenue driving, you know, working with a club on digital content distribution, it may be improving or in growing the game of football in Canada through flag you know, those types of things that are concrete that I know we can affect immediately and I think we'll have the right payoff. Those are things I want to make as my top priorities and certainly just be available for those discussions on a tenth team or an eleventh and twelfth team if they come around.
Speaker 5: Been there, done that, So hold on, hold off on a team in the Maritimes or in Vegas, Sacramento, or Baltimore.
Speaker 3: Which leads me to this.
Speaker 5: I'm told I'm supposed to ask you about the ninety four Gray Cup at BC place between the Lions and the Baltimore cfl Or Steward.
Speaker 4: It is a very distinct memory for me. At the time, I was going to school at UBC and I was part time working for Gatorade in their sports marketing group. So I was mixing up Gatorade on marathon roots and triathlon roots. And one of the jobs I had was to serve gatorade at the Gray Cup. And I was positioned on the visiting team side or the Baltimore I don't know if they were visiting actually in the Great Cup, but the Baltimore side and serve them the gatorade and is to peek up and certainly with great interest to see the great Louis pas Sagula make that kick, and I I mean it was pandemonium in the in the stadium at that time. It's such a vivid memory. I even I was a young guy. So I'm not recommending this to anybody. But I tried to snag a game ball that was left on the sideline and I had it under my arm and some routing fan came and stored it right from me. Oh like, how am I supposed to complain about that? I was trying to steal the ball myself.
Speaker 3: Maybe it was Louis he wanted it for a souvenir. Yeah, no kidding. Hey s to Bee Stuart V. Thanks for this.
Speaker 5: Like Brick said, we're longtime CFL fans, love it all the best.
Speaker 3: We're pulling for you.
Speaker 4: I appreciate it, Thank you, look forward to doing this again.
Speaker 5: You bet thanks to it. Stewart Johnson, fifteenth CFL Commissioner. What he said there about flag football is really true. Both my boys played flag football every weekend all around the Vancouver area into the Fraser Valley, uh an at Farm. These tournaments just full of kids, not much of a CFL presence there, so I think that's that's one place they can start. And the thing is, with that situation, flag football is growing in large part because of the concussion issue. So you've got a lot of kids playing playing, getting a taste of football, find out what it's like to learn about the strategies and you know it sounds like Stuart's going to do something about reaching out in a better way. Uh with with with those kids, I couldn't agree more. CFL preseason by the way, and the Lions camp opens what in ten days or so? Up up in Callops, May eleventh, up in Kallops. First CFL preseason game is the one on the island in Langford Lions and Stampeders. That's on me nineteenth again our thanks to Stuart Johnson will update the pole question the waddling dog poole question next.
Speaker 3: Donnie Dolly the Team.
Speaker 2: Donnie and Dollie. The team is supported by able Auctions dot CA. Closing your Business where you can help.
Speaker 5: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type.
Speaker 3: Of business assets. Able Auctions can help for a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold.
Speaker 5: Please email Sales at able auctions dot ca dot sales at ab LA Auctions dot CA. Bottling Dog poll question, is it one of Victoria's favorite pubs, The Dog where you can enjoy twenty camps, twenty screens, You're home for the conduction. UFC comes, sit and stay at the Dog today. A lot of people in the delaneous inbox the last few days wondering about Quinn he his future and you know, given his team friendly contract and the fact he's going to be a UFA in a couple of years, would you consider trading Quinn Hughes with the Canucks? Can consider that? And so you decided to.
Speaker 3: Go with this pool. You two did our waddling dog pop pole question through You've tied. Oh, I was on the phone. I was getting you a coffee. I come back and the poll questions up anyways, went should the Canucks trade at Quinn Hughes this summer? Next summer? Never, he's gonna resign. Never, he's going to resign a lot of positive people in the in the poll, which is at fifteen hundred plus. It's hopping, it's popping. It's not stopping. This summer thirty six percent, Next summer fifteen percent. Everything they do from here on in has to be with Quinn Hughes in mind.
Speaker 5: Donny, Well, you know what I'm gonna go. I don't gonna find this hard to believe, but I'm gonna go positive here. Yeah, And I would hope, as somebody who has followed this team since nineteen seventy before that in the old Western Hockey late Blasers, that never he will resign comes to fruition comes true, because if he resigns, that means the fortunes of this team will have increased dramatically, hope in a positive way.
Speaker 3: If that's good. If he resigns, he gives you hope.
Speaker 5: If he leaves, no, but if he's only resigning, if he sees that things are better, I would think, because if.
Speaker 3: He goes through this mess again the next Tew, he's done, he's done. He's done. He's done.
Speaker 5: So for the sake of the fans, and for the sake of the fans, I hope that number three happens.
Speaker 3: Okay, so drama all year, soap opera dysfunction. So the season ends and he's supposed to stop talk. It leaves you're fighting with your first round pick, Will Lander. No practice facility. What happened today?
Speaker 1: Ryan?
Speaker 3: Some season ticket holder got screwed out of money? By the Canucks.
Speaker 1: Not not today. They tried you a season ticket oder resold seats and didn't get money after months and months of months from the organizations.
Speaker 3: Old story. It's not an old story done. It's came out this morning. Yeah, when he was pressure from a TV station that made the Canucks pay her. Right. Yeah, yeah, it's a story done. It's wow, you're negative. Not that drama. Continue bringing this up. They didn't give the season take it older? What fifty seven hundred bucks?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they did. It took a while eventually. Yeah, well when.
Speaker 3: Well Bester might leave, how about that suitor might leave? How about that well lander might leave?
Speaker 1: How about that? Can I just say, though, for everybody ripping us in the replies, I can't believe you asked this quest or something. If you're a Canucks fan, every single one of you, you can lie if you want. As soon as that decision came down about Rick talking on Monday, the first comment you made to your buddy or significant other or Reddit page was.
Speaker 3: Negative about Quinn Hughes staying going whatever his favorite coach. But we're not.
Speaker 1: We're not, you know, we're not. In the middle of last season in his playoff run and deciding on a Friday. You know what, let's just ask hibout Quinn Hues his future. We're asking the question because of events that happened this week and now that talkt has gone. In my opinion, the biggest topic around the franchise is his future. I'm sorry. So you can say that they're a long time media and you can say all this crap that A replies are filled with, but again, every one of you that's a fan, it's your number one thing. You're talking about what this team right now?
Speaker 3: So it is. Do you think Takott didn't talk to Hughes before he made his decision?
Speaker 1: Well, don brings up the lunch. Donny brings up the lunch. Rick.
Speaker 3: He said he had lunch with He had lunch with him, or maybe a walk on the sea wall. Maybe they have no he said he had lunch with him.
Speaker 1: He had lunch, maybe a beer. I don't know what it was.
Speaker 3: But I think that talk it's got a pretty good indication about Quinn Hues day.
Speaker 12: They went for lunch to get I know they descend that. I know this is after the season. Yeah, after the season. Do you think he bolted for no reason? I think he knows some stuff that other.
Speaker 5: People as a movie, I'm sure they brought up or maybe they didn't bring up hockey at all, which some of them.
Speaker 3: Some people will.
Speaker 1: Tell you, well what about this factor? Guys, who is the guy that brought Talking here? What's Rutherford's future here?
Speaker 3: Well, well, we'll find out find out.
Speaker 1: But I wonder if Talking also looked at that, like, what what's.
Speaker 3: A good really good point that clip?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 3: Yeah, really good part Ryan.
Speaker 1: Which I got excited there for a second. His future, Yeah, used to have that clip, used to have that one. This is how long is Jimmy around? How long is Jimmy around?
Speaker 3: Well, let's find out, right. This is a clip from the from the other day, the.
Speaker 1: Press conference following the Talk partition of Talk and our Good pal, Patrick Johnson asked Jim Rutherford, but what his future is with the franchise?
Speaker 3: There you go, boom, Derek.
Speaker 13: I don't feel comfortable with the job that I've done. Okay, we were on the right track a year ago. We got off that track this year. I take a lot of responsibility for it. It's my job. I had the hockey department, and uh, we have a lot of work to do to get back on track, and so at this point in time, that's my focus to see if we can do that.
Speaker 3: He's seventy six years old. Jiff Ruther, for I think it's fair speculating he's probably going to put in another year. And there was a report back east in Toronto that said he's thinking about calling it quit. So I could see that. But you know, when I look at this year, I know he's taken blame for it. But who to have two star players fight Donnie and cause mayhem in the dressing room and cause the mayem These two star players did?
Speaker 5: Two star players are two star players rick that they knew didn't get along. They knew, and they signed them to long term long tracks.
Speaker 3: They signed two guys.
Speaker 5: Here, you're blaming the two players, and yet they're the of ones who signed these cares who weren't getting along to long term deals.
Speaker 3: Bingo, you nailed it, You nailed it. Those two players single handedly screwed the entire season of Vancouver. Injuries didn't help Donny that the dressing room was a chaos. It was just the Miller leave of absence. Miller Patterson feud at around and it was just a tire fire.
Speaker 5: Every week because of those two quick recap of how we started the show speaking of the Canucks Abbatsford Canucks beating Coachella val Valley Valley three to one last night.
Speaker 3: And where is there just pump springs just outside of pump Springs on the highway. I think it's I don't know the exact longitude of mine. Saw the rink on the highway, took a picture, sent it to me. He said, that's where the seattle the highway to the highway, left side, palm springs straight ahead, left side, left side. It depends what direction he took the photo. It's on the left side going on the palm springs. Anyways, thanks for that. Just so where am I now? I forgot completely anyway, abas for one last night?
Speaker 1: Come over over jet woo scoring Oh jet.
Speaker 3: Wu uh from time Mueller. So some good young kids connecting on that goal. Yeah, on the left side of the highway.
Speaker 5: So they take a one nothing lead in that series. It's it's a best of five, game two on the weekend in CALIFORNI three four five. Games three, four and five will be an abbas for next week.
Speaker 3: So don I keep asking you if Manny maultro wins this round, then he's gonna be in the Western Conference final. If this guy stock is going up and you nailed it. Not in Vancouver only there's seven teams looking done. Some others might call.
Speaker 5: Uh cruise Azul defeats Pumasday in Mexican.
Speaker 1: Sound that sounds like the remember the demon in Ghostbusters? Sounds like you pull the muscle, Remember the the the person that like the that they were like hypnotized.
Speaker 3: By moving on? You know, Oh, I know you're thinking of Creston. Are you thinking of I don't think right, Yes, really remember is l Yeah? I don't think that's who won last night?
Speaker 1: Who is the guy that what does Ghostbusters have to soccer team? Go the gatekeeper? Yeah, the god of Goz there. But that's what every time you said that, Okay, every time you say that, that's what goes to my brain.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 5: So they're playing the white Caps final Conky Cap Champions Cup June first.
Speaker 3: It's in Mexico City on the left side of the Highway place. Let's uh, let's hope it's on TV.
Speaker 5: Vancouver Warriors they played tonight in Buffalo, game one of their best of three n L L semi Finnel Business.
Speaker 3: Absolutely look at this, uh, check out the largest selection of sports member billy autographed items, trading cards, the collectible games in Western Canada. It's Pastime Sports Sunday eighteenth. Look at this and Langley, Mike Manado and theo Flury in store. Signing. Details on this event, upcoming signings and card drops available at Pastime Sports dot and on their social channels. Gozart goesart. That's what we have here.
Speaker 1: It's zol but it's like it's like the god of Gozer and what you got to do? Remember remember who's Who's that? Who's in Honey Shrunk the Kids?
Speaker 3: I walked out of that movie? Yeah, great movies story there, Oh horrible good nay.
Speaker 1: But yeah, remember he got hypnotized and then the woman shot upping her. She opened her free to the lapso reverse that who it is?
Speaker 3: O sign Weaver.
Speaker 5: And Roy No, it's we Guarney Weaver. If you look Beatles at the Hollywood Bowl.
Speaker 1: Right at the concert, he's the crowd. Really yeah, and then she put in the laptop. The laptop, uh Zewell was in Sigourney Weaver's apartment. That's yeah. That that when she opened the fridge and like the postus. Remember can't you get to the laptop laptop? I got the Jonathan carry sign.
Speaker 5: It's Friday, John, you were getting criticized so much, you're getting red Lady.
Speaker 3: I know it's by not for this.
Speaker 1: What am I saying?
Speaker 3: Negative? Not you me somewhat?
Speaker 1: Rick Jonathan the Karamaku signed Puck. He wasn't in the lineup again yesterday? What's going on? And eliminated last night? Brady could chuck card today.
Speaker 3: Because you got eliminated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, because.
Speaker 5: He's Bradie God, Brady, get your okay a break DTMC next Toney, you'll have the team on check.
Speaker 3: Love golf, but hate the rain. Hideout Golf is now open, located in the Sands Hotel on Davy Street. Hideout Golf is your new go to golf simulator bar, perfect for everything from casual rounds to competitive play.
Speaker 5: Hideout Golf has an exclusive offer for Donnie and Dolly listeners. Get twenty five percent off simulator time for your first booking.
Speaker 3: Just use the promo code Dad Dad twenty five. That's Dad Dad twenty five. Ready to t up your next night out? Book now at a Hideout Golf dot.
Speaker 5: Caight Surrey Mitsubishi, built in Japan, made for Canucks.
Speaker 3: All this month, lis a brand new Mitsubishi for just ninety nine dollars per week, or finance for only one hundred and nineteen dollars per week and don't.
Speaker 1: Make any payments for ninety days.
Speaker 5: Also bring in any trade and Surrey Mitsubishi will give you three thousand dollars above market value.
Speaker 3: Visit Surrey Mitsubishian store at thirteen eight twenty one hundred and fourth Avenue in Surrey. Check out the legendary Japanese reliability built to handle Canadian roads. Here it's eleven thirty four on a Friday morning, Donny and Dalli on CHECKTV. No time for DTMZ brought to you by the world famous Whistle Golf Club.
Speaker 1: Goes you big l out there a great track. Great track.
Speaker 5: DTMZ brought to you by the Arnold Palmer Design Whistle Golf Club, where spring preps are underway for opening day May the ninth week, a week away Oh the second today after the Ernie's Army Golf Giveaway and you and eleven buddies could be golfing for free. Enter online now at whistogolf dot com. Something a little bit different here.
Speaker 3: This sir Cliff Ronnie, former can former US breug Love the newest legendary.
Speaker 5: Yeah, tyronning Cliff's sun from Burnaby, like Cliff North Burnaby bw C grad fromer Vancouver Giant, New York Rangers draft pick back in twenty sixteen, seventh Brown Connocks should have taken him.
Speaker 3: They didn't.
Speaker 5: Last week he was named playoff MVP of the de e L, Germany's top pro hockey league. Yeah, twenty five points. Connucks could use this guy. Twenty five points and fourteen playoff games. And Cliff sent us these pictures. And my nephew was over there recently hanging out with Tie, and he says the experience of watching a pro hockey game in Germany is something. Well, is this Cliff there with Tie holding the trophy? It just the pitchers are amazing. They'd love their hockey in Berlin. In Germany. Heck, they produced Leon Dreisoddle. What more do you need to know? If we got the shot of the fans, but he's right up against the glass, money chance. I don't know if we have that one top right, but there's a close up shot, and we think of the fans that their shirts off. The men do anyway, they just they're they're they're right into it. And they won the name of the team is the Berlin Polar Bears. They won the title series a record of twelve and two over three successful postseason rounds. They got their shirts off everyone. Yes, it's a thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, as they said, it's sandom.
Speaker 1: There's some guys there.
Speaker 5: Some of them should have kept their shirts, their shirts on top, right anyways, they.
Speaker 3: Anyways, just come on.
Speaker 5: And he tie had seventy three points in forty seven games.
Speaker 3: And thanks thanks to Cliff for making us aware of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely great pictures tyronning.
Speaker 3: Form and they won, uh two titles in a row over there. Yeah, yeah, there you go. Hey, you know what, and Donny, everyone all minor hockey parents, all they think about is the NHL or bust. But look as having a blank great Canadian kid playing hockey in Europe earning money. Uh, you know, we talk about Barry Becks in Japan coaching. Just because you don't make the NHL, it's not the end of the world. You could still make a living at hockey. But it's just that the laser focus is NHL.
Speaker 5: Or bust well and then there's scholarships to American colleges. It's exactly what a tremendous sport. Congrats to Tyronning and obviously Cliff and his wife proud parents.
Speaker 3: Birthdays May second.
Speaker 5: I mentioned we have six birthdays the line and there's been some cheating going on, at least there's some suspicion out there. So the line is set at six by Honker and Company Nasal Spray Warehouse and Casino in Wainwright, Alberta. And Harry Honker in Waynwright, big minor hockey coach and apparently Rutherford's got him on the radar.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're a good view interview.
Speaker 5: Was Harry with his shirt off there in Germany five nine, London Night's goalie drafted into the ninth round, one hundred and seventy eighth overall by the Canucks back in nineteen eighty one.
Speaker 3: Mike Cuntain played a one hundred not a bad guest, but No.
Speaker 5: One hundred and two games over six seasons for Vancouver in the eighties.
Speaker 13: F C.
Speaker 5: There you go right when you're born in Campbell River, raised in Prince George played junior hockey for Prince George. The Cougar's drafted sixth overall by Tapa Bay in twenty ten. Brett Connelly, very good center from Prince Edward Island, third round pick by Tapa Bay in ninety eight, won the Stanley Cup and cons My Trophy playing for the Lightning.
Speaker 1: Richard Brad Richard Brad Richards Bradridge.
Speaker 5: This is very fishes and this is why the line has said.
Speaker 3: Common sense, The Rock, the Rock, Dwayton Rock, Dwayne Johnson. That's be a great name though, Dwayne Rock, Dwayne Rock.
Speaker 5: First English footballer to win major titles in four different countries England, Spain, France and the US President. Nicole Beckham of Inner Miami married de Posh.
Speaker 1: Good document.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is pretty good. They have some good songs.
Speaker 5: Speaking of David beck former NFL punter and kickoff specialist out of West Virginia, now a sports talk show host on ESPN.
Speaker 1: Pat McAfee, there you go.
Speaker 3: Played eight NFL seasons all with.
Speaker 5: The Colts, Pat McAfee, and he's he's on ESPN, So I don't know if this is an ESPN director. We had a lot of hockey on it's clearly he clearly has developed a love for the sport.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, big Name. Is it just me? He's coming up? We're good.
Speaker 5: Louke Graham Ready Yeah, seventy five years old, songwriter, lead singer for the British slash American group He's going to play us out from June seventy eight in the album Double Vision.
Speaker 3: This is Foreigner and hot Blooded.
Speaker 5: Wreck on Check, straight Ahead, Wreck and Rule on a BC Friday Morning.
Speaker 1: Is it just me? It's next check.
Speaker 5: The Wabbling Dog Pub has been owned and operated locally.
Speaker 3: Since nineteen ninety one and has since.
Speaker 5: Built its reputation as one of Victoria's favorite watering holes.
Speaker 3: With twenty TVs, twenty local.
Speaker 5: And domestic taps, and over two hundred seats, The Wabbling Dog has something for everyone, including every Canucks game, UFC pay per views, and an unbeatable daily happy hour from four to six. The Dog is your one stop shop, with its attached cold beer and wine store offering up hundreds of local and important products, as well as an extensive inventory of Donnie and Dolly merchandise. Their award winning hotel offers dog friendly hotel rooms that are appointed with antique style furnishings. And modern amenities, and only ten minutes from the airport and ferry terminal. There are countless reasons to come sit and stay at the Waddling Dog. Yeah, I've been saying that the white Caps beat prumas they beat Tigris.
Speaker 3: Tigris. I didn't want to correct you.
Speaker 5: Cruise a Zool beat Tigres. You didn't know you're the guy in Germany. Okay, so Cruise a zull beat Tigris. Cruise a Zool will play the white Caps on June first?
Speaker 3: Is it just me?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 3: I'm propologies. I am from Lloydminster and our northeaster Wayne Wright, and I've been to Honkering Company many times where i had my sinuses cleared and pockets emptied. Have a great weekend, guys, Carry the Caretaker sending us from Alberta. Thanks Carryanks for supporting one of our clients. Appreciate it.
Speaker 5: New Wes Nick, Is it just me? But the white Caps are showing the Canucks how well things can be if you put the team up for sale, just saying that's a really good submission by new West Nick. But the rumors aren't true, are they? But they about the Canucks, there's a whole sorts of speculation from Nick Kipprios for one back east right.
Speaker 3: Rick, absolutely, Nick, nobody is the rumors?
Speaker 1: Yes, you know what has.
Speaker 5: Come out of that is that some people are speculating that much like the Griffiths did back in the day, maybe selling part of the.
Speaker 3: Part of the team. And there are rumors out there that he has tried to sell part of the team, So that that is out there for sure. Nothing we should do with Quinn in mind. Uh, it shouldn't be all him, It should be the team in mind. No one player is above the team. That's a message from Sudsey and a good one. And a lot of people are saying that, you know, we've had star players leaved on. We have Pavel Burry leave and did the franchise fold did did Vancouver and their franchise when Pavel Burry left?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: It kept going, Uh is it just me this is unsigned? Or should body shaming? Rick have to do a second with no shirt on so we could potentially body shame him.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, Ryan did it too, so they should be directed to Ryan as as you did. You did too. But the guy takes his shirt off in a hockey rink Donny, there's thousands together. Okay, so Ryan put the phono up again. I'm not body shaming anyone.
Speaker 1: A lot of those guys.
Speaker 3: Look at a big shoulders, big arms. Look at the guy in the middle with the arm. It's almost like they all have arms. Yeah, I mean, come on, man, I'm also saying there's some good guys in there, you know, shoulders. Look look at some of the shoulders in there, pretty big shoulders. Get it out of their get it off. There's a lot of big in there. It looks like a couple of media guys we know, especially one with the three letters in his name. Anyways, Uh, okay, anyways, go you know I signed Jeeves from Surrey. Is it just me?
Speaker 5: But imagine training Beurret in his prime, which they kind of did exactly because you think about it, he went to Florida and had fifty goal seasons.
Speaker 3: There was a rock star. Yeap, No, that's too good, point, Robin Victoria. If the Knucks want to keep Quinn Hughes long term, wouldn't it make sense for management to ask him what he wants to coach. I would be very surprised if the Canucks don't keep Quinn Hughes informed of the coach search. I think that that's a good text. I think they will keep him absolutely in mind.
Speaker 5: Eric in New West Is it just me or does Ed Willis need to add another chapter just about this season to his excellent book Never Born. I know, I haven't done it. I haven't read it yet.
Speaker 3: I will.
Speaker 5: I've had a lot of people tell me it's excellent, and I just wonder if Ed is thinking to himself, man, I should have waited.
Speaker 3: Ye, boy, that would have been a really good chapter. His Lee chapter would have been this year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you can always put out another book about this year alone. Eric in New Wes, thank you.
Speaker 3: Now, Anthony, and so Surrey Washington. The Canucks need to learn from them. Boy did Washington make some shrewd moves last summer, don't it? And they questionable but true?
Speaker 1: True?
Speaker 3: And yeah, you know, getting chickering out of Ottawa, and you know all those guys that pier Luke Debois, everything they did worked out for them. So you can turn it around, Dawn, despite all the doom and gloom one good.
Speaker 5: Well, you can't rebuild too, I mean you can do it's it all comes down to good.
Speaker 3: Management, retool on the fly on Sigde.
Speaker 1: Is it just me?
Speaker 5: But all this all started last year with the management's botching of re signing Nikita Zadorov. Then it spiraled from there. But they offered Zadorov good money, did they know?
Speaker 3: They did? But they took too long. They spent too much time on Gensel. They ignored him for a few weeks and that bothered him and he left. But I think that was one of the problems.
Speaker 5: Things didn't go great for Zadorof in Boston. I wonder, you know, Deep Delwoode, if you do things differently himself.
Speaker 3: I will say this, Talcket missed the door, and he and Cole missed him a ton. And one of the things talking wanted management to do the summer don was get more leadership on the table. Is more leadership this summer, either through trades or through July first?
Speaker 1: Is it just me?
Speaker 3: David and Poco? Is it just me?
Speaker 5: But you forgot to mention the Russians came back because they were told they wouldn't get paid. Money means a lot to them, like it does to a lot of people were talking about nineteen seventy six and the Russians leaving the Ice after the ed Van imp hit in Philadelphia and the evanip has left us at the age of eighty four. But I think it was Alan Eagleson, the infamous Allan Eagleson, who informed the Russians, Hey, you can leave this game, but you're not getting any money.
Speaker 3: They came back on the ice of all the teams for the Russians to play the broad Street Bullies. What did they expect?
Speaker 5: I was around then. I don't know one person I know who didn't watch that game. Oh such a matchup? Break, Okay, break and we'll wrap up the show, the poll question and the week. Johnny Delly the team on Jack as we continue our campaign to get Born to Be Alive played on a regular basis at Rogers are in a campaign not going well when it comes to the Canucks. But you know what, Warriors have a game on Sunday although they are affiliated with the Canucks. Patrick hoping they changed their mind one day.
Speaker 3: Doc Paul rick Boy.
Speaker 1: Great song, Ryan, get her up the Waddling Dog. Pop poll question right up.
Speaker 3: Went Should the Canucks trade Quinn Hughes this summer, next summer or never He's going to resign? Never, He's going to resign he's leading the way to forty nine seventeen hundred votes. I'm surprised this summer is well ahead of next summer. Exactly.
Speaker 5: This summer would get you a much bigger return. The thought is out there or inbox? Delaney's inboxes proof of that. You've got some photos.
Speaker 1: All right, we're going here. Let's go. Oh yeah, I think you.
Speaker 3: Oh, this is my pal Chris holds a firefighter. Ryan, did I send you the photo? You got the photo? You got the details on the photo? Okay, I got the details. Where's the photo? Na, that's not Chris the firefighter. Hey, firefighters don't look like that. Firefighters. Remember the poster the chippendales. What they call the firefighters? The firefighter calendars?
Speaker 1: What are they called? Ryan? Get them photo calendars?
Speaker 3: Where's my buddy? This is your This is Chris the fireman. I met up with one of my best friends in Tiffino.
Speaker 1: He lives here.
Speaker 3: I'm visiting with the dog and he shows up wearing this. This is Calvin in the donning Dolly gear. The dog is CALLI one hundred percent. I'm telling you right now, this is Bernice Mond Calvin. And what kind of dog is that Bernice Mond, beautiful dog Kelly. I got Cali, Calvin and my buddy Chris the Fireman and the guys in Germany. Yeah. Where we're going overseas now right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? This next one, I hold that. Oh boy, this is good.
Speaker 3: There's no name here though.
Speaker 1: Oh that's good.
Speaker 3: Hello from uh pie Ted the d Test the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Yeah, Pisa. So this is a hello from Pizza Italy. Uh the Dunning Dolly a bucket hat, but no name Ryan. I didn't get the name, no, so you have to send it in. Oh no, it's Rick from band Talk, Rick from d No, No, not band talk. Rick band tog is his last name, I said, Rick from band Talk. But it's Rick band Talk from Italy the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Is that right? Yes? Okay, so Rick ban Talk, Thanks Pal going over to Italy.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Arguably arguably are our biggest fan is harsh Sunder he said, Guys, he sent us photos from all over the globe. Harsnders sent this to us. I graduated from the University of Florida yesterday with the Master of Science and Sports Management degree. He's uh, he says, I had the chance to represent Donnie Dalli here at the University of Florida campus this week.
Speaker 3: He's a Gator.
Speaker 1: He's starting his PhD program next week. The dude is just no. But he's at the College of Health and Human Performance. Well the thatt's the Bill Harden.
Speaker 3: You look at uf in the corner there. See Wow, that's unbelievable. I she's got the call the Hawaiian shirt too. So thank you so much, Hard Sunder. We appreciate it absolutely. Uh Master of Science and Sports Management degree. Much smarter than all watching our show for it. Exactly, very good, very good.
Speaker 6: There you go.
Speaker 3: H Is it just me Harry Neil? This is unsigned.
Speaker 5: Once stated about trading players, it's not who you get back in return, it's who you get rid of.
Speaker 3: I miss Harry Neil. Remember he used to be on the radio every Wednesday. He had the best one I remember him on hockey that in Canada, but Herery Neil had the best one liners.
Speaker 5: He was with Dan Russell.
Speaker 3: Everybody absolutely but he was must listen to radio Harry Neil. I miss him. I miss Dan Russell. Yeah, anyways, I miss Harry Neil so much. Done you know what, he was good on the radio to recap You miss Harry Neil. He was one of my favorite GMS and coaches remember in Quebec and then the towel and Roger got it all started with Harry.
Speaker 1: It all started with Harry and Quebec.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it all started with Harry. Okay, thanks so much for tuning.
Speaker 5: If you just have a great weekend, I'll be out of Ryan, Derek, Rick, Harsh Sunder everybody here and oh boy and check I'm done
Speaker 3: And you have to date in the world of sports,