Speaker 1: Ripped up so you don't have to come run in sustas as you can. Shooter's gonna help come.
Speaker 2: Man Dix is the Troubleshooter Show. No Tom Martine, Okay.
Speaker 3: I'm Tom Martino. Welcome to the show. Three oh three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five.
Speaker 4: If I go to a wide shot here, you're gonna see Nick with me with renew home Innovations dot Com. This hour brought to you by renew home Innovations dot Com. The most beautiful walking showers you ever want to see.
Speaker 3: That's what I've said.
Speaker 4: I've said it every day on the show when I promote them. They're just beautiful. You cannot you absolutely cannot visualize in your head the beauty of sheet porcelain. One of the only people doing that sheet porcelain because it's it's hard to work with no maintenance, zero maintenance. It's a lifetime shower, Nick, Isn't it easy to say it's a lifetime shower for sure?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 5: Absolute, one hundred percent.
Speaker 6: You'll never have to do your shower again and the look will be timeless.
Speaker 3: Oh how are the colors? You know?
Speaker 6: Pretty much any pattern you can imagine of a natural stone. They have fifty different styles of selections of products.
Speaker 4: So okay, wonderful. Now we're going to be talking about that and more coming up. One thing that came out was a general study. I'm getting back into health now. Listen, you guys all know you guys listening. No, I'm going through a battle with cancer. I should say, well, I could properly say I went through a battle of cancer and now I'm on the downward side. It was one hundred percent removed, which is very, very very rare.
Speaker 3: With pancreatic cancer.
Speaker 4: And all my brothers and sisters who have pancreatic cancer, I hope you can have a great outcome.
Speaker 3: That the statistics are there.
Speaker 4: Basically ninety seven percent of the time, it's not so good because it's discovered after it already has metastasized, and mine was not.
Speaker 3: And so I got to remove. Why am I bringing all this up? Well?
Speaker 4: I felt kind of guilty talking about health things on this show. I thought, you know, Tom, you brag about your supplements, your purified water, your exercise regimen and building up your immune system, and here you go, a slap in the face, you get pancreatic cancer.
Speaker 3: Who are you to give health advice.
Speaker 4: Well, then I started looking into it and realized I didn't do anything wrong. It's not like I'm blamed for it. So no matter what all of the docs said. One of the reasons I'm faring so well and doing so well under the I went through surgery very well about six or seven weeks ago, and everything is because of my.
Speaker 3: Condition. So here's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: It never hurts, never ever ever hurts to be in great condition. And I will be talking about some health stuff going forward again. And one of the things I wanted to let you know, there's two things I wanted to talk about.
Speaker 3: Sunscreen.
Speaker 4: There was a massive study on sunscreen and this organization has come out with some really really good, really good recommendations on sunscreen. So later in the show we have time, I'll go over that not all sunscreen is good and you can't just go by that SPF.
Speaker 3: You can't.
Speaker 4: There's so much more to it. And then I want to talk about inflammation. You know, when we think about inflammation, we think about a sprain on our muscle or joint or maybe you know inflammation, that's what it is, right, What you don't realize is systemically as an organism, we can experience systemic inflammation, which is probably the number one cause of all disease.
Speaker 3: So we might get to that. Not might.
Speaker 4: I'm going to try to get to that later on, but I want to go to the phones now. Phones always take priority, and then if you have any questions for Nick, we'll talk to Nick about a renew Home Innovations dot Com. Tony, you have a warranty issue, and I'm told to check my email, so I'm going to check my email and talk about it. So here's your email, and you have an issue that we were very puzzled about. You said you bought a used car, and I think we were a little weirded about the warranty.
Speaker 3: Can you recap your problem for us, sir?
Speaker 7: Yeah, So I ended up they talked me to get into one of those warranties.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and I didn't.
Speaker 7: It doesn't say nothing about rideshare on it, but I guess it falls under.
Speaker 3: Like, oh, okay, okay, that's what it was.
Speaker 7: It isn't it part time for I was doing rideshare life a few times on the weekends and stuff.
Speaker 3: So you had a problem, took it in. You had a problem. How did they find out you had where you did ride share.
Speaker 7: The sticker was in the window.
Speaker 8: So yeah, they never leave those stickers.
Speaker 3: And they immediately latched onto that, didn't They immediately they.
Speaker 8: Take pictures of it and everything.
Speaker 7: Because when they they filled out their paperwork on that side and they said why they were denying it, it said for ridesharing that and had.
Speaker 3: You know I could make the argument.
Speaker 4: I could make the argument that people take better care of their cars on ride share.
Speaker 3: I'll bet you get your oil changed all the time. Yes, no, maybe, yeah, And I.
Speaker 7: Mean I keep the inside imactivate for this because you got passengers. I wash it every couple of days. I mean when I was doing that stuff, I'm my.
Speaker 8: Car was clane.
Speaker 4: I mean, so I look through this warranty and there are some truly damning clauses here that get them out of it. Commercial the general term commercial use. No one can argue this. It's a commercially used vehicle, right, that's number one. But they go on to talk about something like taxi service or something.
Speaker 3: I looked at it.
Speaker 4: I don't have it highlighted, but I think they're pretty well covered rejecting your claim. Now, do I think it's fair no, you you know, I don't see anything you'd be doing with rideshare that would violate terms of use other than you're doing it okay. In other words, there's nothing specific they can say. It would be different if you were racing this car or you know, using it for something weird. All you're doing is riding around and maybe you have a few more miles, but they have a mileage limitation, and I just I think it's unfair. But many they have themselves covered. So my question, oh go ahead, I'm sorry.
Speaker 7: Well that part I understand. I was the one who violated, and I said, all right, that's fine, but on my thing. So since they declined it, I figured, right, did the contractor exactly?
Speaker 3: And get your money back?
Speaker 9: My money back?
Speaker 3: Right, I agree with you.
Speaker 4: So here, okay, if you're not going to cover me, then give my money back. And this is where I see nothing that says you can't get your money back.
Speaker 3: Nothing.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 7: And when I talked to the guy at the because I talked to the guy, he's like, oh, you got to talk to your financer whoever you know I bought the car from. So I talked to that finance guy and he goes, oh.
Speaker 8: They don't.
Speaker 11: They don't do that.
Speaker 7: They don't get refunds in this and that. Well funny about that is, so when I talked to.
Speaker 8: You guys the other day, there is kind.
Speaker 7: Of a misunderstanding on how the warranty mileage worked because they were saying, because I was telling you guys, it was one hundred and fifty thousand eleven per quarantine, and they're like, well, what do you at? And I met like one hundred and thirty seven. But when I talked to the guy yesterday, I told him, I go, you know, how's that mileage work? So the mileage on the warranty starts when I bought the car, So it does it's one hundred and fifty thousand mile warranty plus what was ever on the car, so it's not up to one hundred and fifty thousand miles. It's one hundred and fifty thousand miles from when I bought the car.
Speaker 4: Well, you know a lot of those and I want to I want to tell people to be very careful because a lot of those warranties are tricky. Some of them go back to what's called the in service date, honest to goodness, meaning if a car was put into service, let's say in twenty twenty two, and it's now twenty twenty five. There are three years of in service already, so if you get a five year warranty, you're actually only getting two years because they go back to the in service date. Others start from the date that you buy the warranty, but they don't all do that. Some go arbitrarily to a number period. But you say, yours goes from the day you bought it plus one hundred and fifty. Here's the deal. Whatever it is, it's not going to cover you. So I believe you're doing a refund since you can't use it, you never could have used it. I think we're going to shoot for a refund. That's what I want to do. I want to pressure them. There's no reason now now listen, I'll give them. They have the right, they have the total right to disclaim this and say commercial use. But I don't believe that they can be unjustly enriched by just keeping your money.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and when I talked to the guy Yeah yesterday, it was funny because as soon as I mentioned your name in your show, because I telling him, yeah, you know, I'm sending them over a copy of my contract.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it changed his story a little bit, and he's my, Oh, well, let me send you this paperwork to fill out. And then I still got to deal with my manager to see if they can help you.
Speaker 3: So, so where does this stand right now? Are they reconsidering?
Speaker 8: I think so?
Speaker 7: I sent the paperwork in okay, So I'm waiting to see you because he said he asked to get approval from his management because he's just a finance guy.
Speaker 3: Hey, bro, here's what I think.
Speaker 4: Here's what I think is going to happen now that we're on the Now that we're on this, I think I think you're going to get it. Let's here's what I'm going to do. I really appreciate you calling me and giving this update. I'm going to put you on hold. I'm going to mark this pending, and I am going to wait to hear. Let's give them a few days and hope they come to their senses. I'm Tom Martine three O three seven one three A two five five Denver, Regen dot com. By the way they do weight loss, they do regenerative therapy for joints and painful joints and tendons and they also do neuropathy treatment Denver Region all with stem cells genuine stem cells Denver Region dot com. Nick foxs us with us from renew Home Innovations dot com.
Speaker 3: I have one quick question, Nick.
Speaker 4: They want to know if you do more than porcelain, and I know you do, so if you had to sum up, what are the other what are the other materials you use for showers?
Speaker 6: So we have a we have a a wide variety of different products. Porcelain is obviously our favorite because we love the beauty and the way that.
Speaker 4: Well you do it as such a price that others charge for plastic.
Speaker 6: Very close, right, Yeah, yeah, it's it's pretty incredible, and that's just buying power, that's all. But you know a lot of customers still want tile, so on they do. Okay, we'll do a tile shower and then we have some other crush stone material problems.
Speaker 3: Someone asks about subway tile.
Speaker 4: I think it's those elongated they're kind of rectanglear and they're nice. They're usually white. They're really you know, and it comes from the New York subways. That's why they call it subway tile.
Speaker 3: Do you do those? Sure?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I mean that's actually a pretty popular when you are doing tile, and it's the look. And so there are products that have or mimic that type of look that we can actually install as well, which creates a somewhat of a zero maintenance type of product.
Speaker 4: One other person asks, doing an hour, can they move the shower? In other words, they have a tubs, they have what I call a shob, you know, the shower tub SHUBs.
Speaker 3: I hate them. Now can that be shifted a few feet left or right?
Speaker 6: Absolutely? Yeah, we can. We can play with the plumbing a little bit. We try to stay in a life for like setting just so that we can kind of minimum is the expense, but yes, it can absolutely be done.
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you very much.
Speaker 4: So Tony, I guess you got your marching orders and that wait a second, Oh yes, Mark and Tony, I'm reading his fidelity warranty right right.
Speaker 12: Do you have it there?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I do, and I did call it for it the other day. Let me let me pull it up here, go ahead, just pull it up real quick.
Speaker 3: I got it. I got it.
Speaker 12: And the first one is the m the certified pre owned vehicle. Scroll past that stuff and get down to like page four where it says in bold print limited warranty.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm going to find it, but keep talking.
Speaker 12: The powertrain coverage under the limited warranty begins on the vehicle purchase date and expires according to the terms or the mileage of the plan indicated, whichever occurs first. Plan expiration is measured in term mileage from the manufacturer's original in CIRERVIS date in zero mid.
Speaker 4: Well, we were talking about before the in service date, so it does start at the in service date.
Speaker 12: Well, that's what it says. That's why I don't understand what Tony's saying. Tony, where where are you reading? Whatever you're reading?
Speaker 4: That's a good point mark. I did not see that. What page number did you say?
Speaker 3: It was like? What of eight? There is?
Speaker 12: Hold on, if I look over at this soon, look.
Speaker 3: At the bottom, it'll give you the page number. Yeah, I'm looking right here. That is page four. That is a good catch mark. In page four, Okay, I'm looking at it, page four.
Speaker 12: Look where it says right towards the top, limited warranty period.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm trying to find what you're looking at there, bro Okay, but anyway, one, two, okay, anyway, So it says, oh, the following bowld print appearing throughout this limited warranty.
Speaker 12: Yeah, keep going and down to where it says limited warranty period.
Speaker 4: Read it, okay, limited warranty period. The powertrain covered under this limited warranty begins on the vehicle purchase state and expires according to the term or mileage of the plan indicated, whichever occurs first. Plan expiration is measured in term mileage from the manufacturer's original in service date and zero miles. In other words, it wrote goes on, it even goes on further and says and not the vehicle purchase date and current odometer reading. So if no manufacturer's original in service date it can be determined, then blah blah blah blah. But Mark, you're absolutely right. It says that it goes back and this was what I was warning people before. It goes back to the in service date. So think about this. If you bought a car and you buy one hundred and fifty thousand mile warranty and it goes back to the original in service date and you got one hundred and forty thousand miles on it, you bought ten thousand miles.
Speaker 12: That's what exactly for over three thousand dollars. Yeah, and they do this all the time, Like on Hondis. It's even crazier. You buy like an extended three year warranty. Well, that three years is all covered by the manufacturers, bumper to bumper, you literally bought.
Speaker 4: Nothing, honest to god. I've said this before and warned people about it. So where did you get the impression he was just bragging about how it adds one hundred and fifty to his because.
Speaker 12: I've never seen one in my life where you can buy a vehicle at one hundred and thirty thousand miles and you have one hundred and fifty thousand additional that the transmission's going to break, the engine's going to break. That's why they don't sell them like that.
Speaker 4: So what gave you that impression? That's what I want to know. Let's is he back or if he's not there, we can't ask him. But he's got bad news. But in any case, if it never did cover the car, though, Mark, I don't see anything that says he can't get a refund.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 12: I don't think well, I don't know about a full refund. He'd get whatever the pro ration is up to where they rejected the claim. So you know, whatever period or.
Speaker 4: Or he could make the argument Mark, he could make the argument that it was never covered.
Speaker 3: It never could have been covered, so there.
Speaker 12: Was no He's the one that broke the contract by driving uber or lyft. I don't think they broke the contract.
Speaker 3: He did.
Speaker 12: He bought it and said he would not. He knew in there it says you can't be a commercial vehicle and he decided to break it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Man, I'm telling you in general, buying these warranties, they're not worth it.
Speaker 3: They're just not worth it. Folks.
Speaker 12: Now you got to have like an attorney look over the whole damn thing. They're all so damn tricky.
Speaker 4: Oh it becomes crazy. Somebody here, Nick wants to know can they make their rectangle shape?
Speaker 3: Can they make it more square? If they don't want to use the room.
Speaker 4: They What they want to do is take the tub shower combination and shrink it to a conventional shower. Now the word conventional is risky here because conventionally used to mean a square shower.
Speaker 3: But I think that's what they're talking about.
Speaker 5: Absolutely.
Speaker 6: In fact, that's probably one of the most common things that are happening is people are pulling out the tubs that don't get used in the first place.
Speaker 3: Right, and so they're conserving space a.
Speaker 5: Bit, yes, and making it more of a user friendly shower.
Speaker 4: This is Nick Foxy's with renew Home Innovations dot Com three h three nine zero four to two thousand. By the way, we got more on the Troubleshooter show your calls on any topic, question or complaint, and we're going to go over some health related issues that I've dug up that I think are really really important on inflammation. Right after this, Tom Martino here, listen.
Speaker 3: If you're looking for.
Speaker 4: A will, a simple quick will, or looking for a trust, or maybe creatively you're using an LLC, a family LLC like the Martino family LLC. You can do that through McKenzie law. He's really incredible. On state planning eight three three co plans, he's live and local. He has that number, but it is local eight three three co plans and it's coplans dot co. You should have an estate plan no matter what. There's no excuse not to. Now let's talk here, and what's really important I wanted to talk about is this case with Deputy Doc we were so mystified by it. So I'm going to go over just basically what it was. Somebody called in and said it was Dale and it was for his daughter down Then Dawn got on and she bought a twenty thirteen Jeep Grand Cherokee Unlimited. This is the same problem we get over and over and over again, and she bought the warranty. Long story, short light comes on. They say we're not covering it now. AutoNation towed it in two months ago, and she just wants to get it fixed and move on. They can't find the car, she said. She said, They told her the car is lost. No one knows where it is. Deputy Doc called yesterday three times, and three times he was hung up on and after being put on hold, he was pissed and said, I'm going to go there in the morning in person and ask about this car.
Speaker 3: So Deputy Doc take it away.
Speaker 13: Okay. So I went down there and finally I spoke to a man, a guy named Jacob in person who's in the sales department. But apparently there's two separate service places, one for the regular service and one for some other kind of service. He was very helpful. There's a secondary lot which is about a quarter mile away from their main store on a rapa hole road, so he was able to track down the fact that the car is in fact at their secondary lot. There are we finally found out who knows about what's going on, and it's the general sales manager. His name is Andy. He was not there Jacob, and I believe him is going to send him a note. I saw him write it down and have Andy called Dawn this morning and then we'll take it from there. But at least we know where.
Speaker 4: The car is good and maybe they can work something out with the warranty. Look, I don't know, like I said, if it's supposed to be covered or not.
Speaker 3: But what really bothers me is how many of these calls we get.
Speaker 4: Oh, incredible, it's incredible, and they all have to do with high mileage cars. People buy and then they buy an extended warranty and they're fat and happy, and what happens the extended warranty doesn't cover their problem.
Speaker 3: They call us and expect to get it covered.
Speaker 4: Not only is the extended warranty a stupid idea on high mileage cars, it's a waste of three or four thousand dollars. But it's a waste of time when you buy a car as is to expect any repairs. The only I tell people this all the time, buying a car as is means as is as is. There are no exceptions except if they literally found something, covered it up.
Speaker 3: And lied to you directly about it.
Speaker 4: If they said the transmission is great in this car and they did something to jury rig it to make it sound good during the time you were test driving. But why would you put yourself through the headache of trying to prove fraud when all you have to do is get it in writing what you expect and what you don't expect. So as is means as is? What does that mean? You should have the car checked out? Always have these cars checked out. It would be that simple. Check out the dang car, and then Kevin Caulkin over at shared an Autotech for one hundred and twenty bucks, we'll go through the used car. Now that's not a guarantee, you know. Still things can happen. So what's another good general rule. I'll tell you my general rule. Never ever ever buy a car with one hundred thousand miles or more. Never, never, never, Now Are there some gems? Yes, there are, Yes, there are. If Deputy D owned one and it's a Toyota, you can bet it's a gem. But I'm telling you they're few and far between. So the general rule of thumb is never buy a car. Now, listen, there's a little there's a little addition to this. Never buy a car with one hundred thousand miles or more, or that will reach more than one hundred thousand miles when you own it. So if you drive ten thousand a year and that's thirty thousand, don't buy a car with more than seventy thousand miles on it. I'm sorry it goes without saying. Ninety eight percent of all of our used car problems our cars that have more than one hundred thousand miles.
Speaker 3: Can everyone agree on that.
Speaker 13: Absolutely?
Speaker 4: Why would you take the chance to buy a car with that many miles? Now, some people say, Tom, it's because that's all I can afford and this, and this is where I make my Argum, take whatever cash you were going to do and put it down on a new car with a good warranty. I would suggest, if you're sensitive to monthly payments and you want to get a car that's relatively inexpensive but has a great warranty.
Speaker 3: You have Hyundai and you have Kia.
Speaker 12: Well, I would say in some of those leases. Now remember last Friday we were looking at those. I think it was a Nissan Leaf.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, like.
Speaker 12: Two hundred bucks a month.
Speaker 3: Man, I know it, and I don't know why so many people feel I just want to pay for it and get it over. And I keep bringing up this case a few years ago Mark where the woman said, no, she was paying.
Speaker 4: It was like forty six ninety five. She was buying a car because it's bought and paid for. I don't want to have to worry about it. And I said, take that forty six ninety five. You had found a deal back then on on on a Hunday. If she put that forty six ninety five, her payment would have been one hundred and thirty five dollars a month on a brand new car with a ten year warranty. As it turned out a couple of years later, she had ended up spending three times the forty six ninety five to keep that car running, whereas a new car she would have spent nothing. So please don't automatically look for an old used car. Don't consider a new car all in some circumstances or slightly used three O three seven to one three talks seven one three eight two five five one Clear Choice Garage Doors for your garage door needs all of them. They're great people and they offer twenty four to seven service. If you ever have a garage door jam at night and you can't close it and can't secure your house, it's one Clear Choice Doors dot Com. You're troubleshooter all right. Three oh three seven one three eight two five five. Nick Fox with us from renew Home Innovations dot com.
Speaker 3: I have a question. Someone wants to know how far outside of the shower area do you go with your with your renovation of a bath Do you do just the shower area? Is that your main thing?
Speaker 6: Well, we like to focus on the shower space, but ultimately we do complete bathroom models also, so.
Speaker 4: If someone says can you do this area or that area, you can do that too. So on that note, they want to know if you've ever done like a wains coating with the porcelain to carry on the shower.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, we, in fact, probably fifty percent of the customers that we do showers with will take some form of wainscoat, either around a tub like a free standing tub, or around a toilet, or just bringing it to connect to a vanity. So all the time, it's very popular and it actually completes the space.
Speaker 3: And this is real porcel Oh.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's absolutely stunning.
Speaker 3: How do this?
Speaker 4: So they must get this giant slab and cuts and cut sheets of it.
Speaker 6: So be a year ago you would have to have it cut in with.
Speaker 5: The CNC machine, which is you know, with.
Speaker 3: The water jack.
Speaker 6: Today we're able to fabricate ninety percent of everything we do in the driveway based off of some proprietary product that is built into the.
Speaker 3: So you can template and cut right there, right.
Speaker 5: In the field.
Speaker 3: Holy crap. So there's no mistake there.
Speaker 6: That's why it's we've been able to get our projects so much more affordable than say, using a fabrication firm.
Speaker 3: Oh, I get it. So you go there with raw material?
Speaker 5: Correct?
Speaker 9: Now?
Speaker 4: Does what about the sealing properties as an sea l ceiling from moisture water spots? How does porcelain hold up? Is it porous or is it pretty much? Or do you have to seal it?
Speaker 3: Does it? How does that work? It?
Speaker 5: Really is kind of one and done. I mean, if you do it correctly.
Speaker 6: I mean, so we seal the each panel, we install it with with all the proper material, yeah, the proper adhesives, and then we put in the ceilings around.
Speaker 4: The surface itself doesn't pick up water spotting and all that.
Speaker 6: It's impervious to moisture. Yeah, absolutely, we have no issues with moisture getting down.
Speaker 4: Now, they don't still make toilets out of porson right, that's too expensive?
Speaker 3: Do they still make porcelain toilets?
Speaker 5: They might?
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean, I don't know. I mean I was just curious more than anything.
Speaker 4: Some kind of stone Okay, Yeah, Now on the you answered how far outside the shower area can this be used?
Speaker 3: And I even hesitate to ask this for flooring?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: No, we in fact, we did a shower recently which was about a twenty by twenty shower.
Speaker 12: Wait wait wait.
Speaker 4: Wait wait wait twenty by twenty shower twenty feet yes, by twenty feet correct?
Speaker 3: Yes, well why would it Mark twenty by twenty? Now?
Speaker 4: I thought Mark had the most giant shower I've seen recently.
Speaker 12: We've seen some ours is pretty big, man, but I've seen some that we've looked at out in Louisiana, Tom. I saw one that had a fireplace in it. A shower with a fireplace.
Speaker 3: You mean by like a glass panel so it could shine through.
Speaker 12: Yeah, a glass panel. So on one side of it is where the master bed would sit. On the other side was a shower that had to be at least twenty five by ten feet. I mean, mark was three hundred square foot shower. Beautiful.
Speaker 4: I had to guess crazy, if I had to guess your shower, is it like a ten by twelve?
Speaker 12: Uh, it's pretty good. Ours is probably like, uh man, I don't know, man, ten by ten by maybe five?
Speaker 3: Oh, I think it's bigger. I'll bet you it's more like ten by eight.
Speaker 4: But okay, so listen, So you don't you don't put in a shower where none was there, right, you don't literally rough in and do it or can you or can you sub out enough to do that?
Speaker 5: I mean we're licensed plumbers, so we can do it.
Speaker 4: Okay, Okay, so you're a real contractor. I get it. You don't just do shower conversions. But that's your forte.
Speaker 6: We love doing the shower spaces because we can create some incredible.
Speaker 3: And you can do them in two or three days.
Speaker 5: Absolutely.
Speaker 6: The bigger ones like Marx is going to take a little bit of time, of course, right but absolutely most of our showers can be done in a handful of days.
Speaker 3: Do you have any financing deals right now? Because financing is such a barrier for some people.
Speaker 6: I would tell you that probably seventy five to eighty percent of our customers take advantage of twelve months no payments, no interest.
Speaker 4: Wait a minute, you're still doing Wait a minute, you're still doing twelve months no interest.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, most of our customers take advantage of the financing because it allows the project to take place while we're there, get the project started, and then they can figure out how to come up with their own money on their own time.
Speaker 4: I just I mean, in today's world with interest, where they are, where it is and all that. Now, I find that incredible that you're doing no interest for a year.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's incredible.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Sometimes we'll run programs where it's even more, you know, eighteen sometimes twenty four, just depending on the time of season.
Speaker 3: So two or three days to get it in.
Speaker 4: You guys have a year to pay with no interest and no penalties or anything. You got to get it paid within the year, though, and that's that's the trick of course. Oh my god, is that the big giant shower. He's showing me a picture. If you send that to me, I'm gonna put it up on YouTube. If you send that to me, it's a twenty.
Speaker 3: By twenty shower. It's a whole freaking home, theater room or whatever. Anyway, we have.
Speaker 4: More coming up on The Troubleshooter Show, and we're going to talk health, and we're going to talk all kinds of issues near and dear to your heart and your pocketbook. At three oh three Martino three oh three six two seven eight four six six.
Speaker 1: Yea ripped up new need advice.
Speaker 8: So you don't help, we'll come running.
Speaker 3: As fast as the can.
Speaker 1: Shooter's gonna help.
Speaker 8: Come.
Speaker 2: Man Dix, is the Troubleshooter Show. No, Tom Martino.
Speaker 3: Hey, I'm Tom Martino. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 4: Three oh three seven one three talk seven one three A two five five.
Speaker 3: How are you doing? We are so happy that you can join us.
Speaker 4: And if you call that number three oh three Martino at works twenty four to seven. So if if we're not here on the air from ten am to two pm Mountain time. If we're not on the air, you can leave a message and we'll get you on the next show. And we love doing what we do for you. This hour brought to you by Frank Ran, the real estate man. Frank does an analysis. A lot of people think, well, what's that. They think it's like a drive bias. Not if you're looking to know what your house will sell for, and in this market, it's very difficult, very difficult to put a price on it because we have some homes in neighborhoods that are overpriced, some that are underpriced. Then we have some neighborhoods in themselves that are overpriced or underpriced. Then you have the dynamic of what's for sale in the area. Frank can look at all of these elements and then put together a really good it's not an app, I don't want to call it a prayer. A valuation of what he has seen and what he believes your house will bring for a sale. And that's invaluable before you list. What if you got ready to list a house and you decide to wait a minute, I can't settle for that. Then you find that out first. So Frank Ran the real estate man, completely free complementary valuation of your property three oh three. And it doesn't have to be your primary residence. It might be a rental or something three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. By the way, speaking of rentals, you know, from time to time I speak about renting and being a landlord, right, and we talk about of course vestero turnkey. That's a whole different ball game. That's where you go to another market where it's promising. But those who have rentals, and I know Bo's one of them, I believe he has a number of rentals in the Denver area. I'm getting more and more texts and emails Bo from people who are sorry they ever got involved in Denver.
Speaker 3: Now, mind you, people have made money in Denver. You know, there was a time to buy, and now I believe is a time to sell.
Speaker 4: But that you know, I'm not the expert on buying and selling your rental property in Denver, but people are telling me Bo whenever we have on Brad O'Brien O'Brien Legal Services and we talk about navigating the tricky waters, you know, trying to preserve your rights as a landlord can be very difficult.
Speaker 3: You could end up with a tenant you can't get rid of. That's true.
Speaker 14: That's why I'm waiting for my lease is just the peter to run out, and then I'm going to I'm going to ten thirty one Amendo vest Era because you know, I just got a notice from City and County of Denver the other day. I failed to apply for my real estate license for one property and I was supposed to turn into paperwork Monday, and if I don't get it turned in, they're going to find me one thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: Explain to that.
Speaker 4: Explain that as far as the license, you need to be a rent So if you want to rent out your place, be a regular landlord.
Speaker 3: You have to have a license.
Speaker 14: Yes, it's some sort of they call it a real estate license, but it's really not. You want to sign a license for the landlord that had to be gives the landlord the ability to rent the property.
Speaker 13: There's a fee.
Speaker 14: I think it's like one hundred dollars a year, and then Denver sends somebody out to inspect the property, make sure it has fire extinguisher, smoke detectors and all it is is just a money grabb in my opinion, and what it does.
Speaker 13: I'm just going to pass the cost on to the on too, the tenant. But there's one I miss.
Speaker 14: So they're going to apparently if they're going to find me or take me to court, and no other county does it.
Speaker 13: Yeah, right, but little Toon is just Denver.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 4: So here's the other thing, a one bedroom apartment. Right now, what do you think the the average price is for one bedroom a.
Speaker 14: One bedroom apartment? I would say it's around fifteen hundred. Nope, fifteen eight higher. Well then I'm looking at around two thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: Now you can find them for fifteen hundred, and you can find them for more. But you're going to average out about two grand a month for a one bedroom.
Speaker 12: I didn't know that too.
Speaker 13: I'm too inexpensive.
Speaker 3: Oh so what are you charging now? Do you have apartments or single family homes?
Speaker 14: I've got seven the eight single family homes and then have a small apartment building in downtown Denver and my two bedroom houses. I charge about eighteen to twenty two hundred a month. On the one bedroom apartment building, it's fifteen to sixteen hundred a month.
Speaker 13: No, no, and they're only full.
Speaker 4: I am told, I am told that some people are doing tricky things because apparently a lot of these rules kick in on a one year lease, and some people are making them three hundred and sixty four days or three hundred and sixty days and staying under the one year mark so they don't get harangued into these new requirements.
Speaker 3: Have you heard of that?
Speaker 14: No, Well, if you're a landlord, you're you're responsible for all of these new rules and regulations and licenses, whether you have.
Speaker 12: A tenant in them for one week or no.
Speaker 9: No, no, no, no no.
Speaker 12: The tenant's got to be in there a solid year.
Speaker 9: Uh bo.
Speaker 12: We've we've just had our guy on about that in order not to renew them, yeah to the lease, So we want to get around once they're there for a solid year, then you cannot cancel their lease. You have to renew it unless you're either selling the house or some other stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, or basically basically a one year lease basically put let's put it this way, a one year lease is reoccurring automatically unless you have just cause to get rid of the tenant.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 3: And that's just the way it is. What's amazing. Here's the other way you can get rid of people though.
Speaker 12: You can up the rent that's allowed to even though you know you can't say, okay, it's a million dollars. You can't go crazy, but you can definitely up the rent to where they'll probably move out right.
Speaker 4: You can, And again they do look at how much you up the rent. It cannot be what they call punitive. Now obviously that's up for grabs. You know, if someone says, wait a minute, you know you wanted to get rid of this guy.
Speaker 3: Now you're up in the rent too much.
Speaker 4: Again, I want to say this because I've been here forty five years. When I first came here renters, I would be so frustrated on this show. A renter would call and I'd say, there's nothing I can do for you. You don't have any rights. I mean there were no rights. I mean no rights at all except if you paid your rent you got private use of your premises.
Speaker 3: But there were no rights at all.
Speaker 4: And then all of a sudden things started swinging the other way, not all of a sudden, shouldn't say that slowly, And then all of a sudden, prior to COVID, it wasn't actually COVID, but prior to that, so many laws came into effect on the state level, and then Denver whatever, you know, they just amplifies that. Whatever the state is, Denver's always goes beyond that. So I've had people tell me they will never own a rental in Colorado again, never because it's too restrictive.
Speaker 3: When you buy a place and you get.
Speaker 4: Someone in there and basically you can't get rid of them. I mean you can, but it's not as easy as you think. So some people are not going to a year lease at all anymore because they don't want to have that just cause provision. The just cause provision is one of the ones that really bug people the most. You have to have a just or legal or or legal in their eye reason to get rid of people, and you know it's difficult.
Speaker 12: All all of this does is increase rent I mean, no matter how you look at you know, it doesn't help, right, No, I mean regulations drive up the price of thing. That's just how it works.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And originally, you know, they want to help renters, and then it gets to a point where it's hurting renters because people are like getting tired of it. And landlords are drying up. So anyway, that's it. So Bo's getting out of the business. He's saying, forget this crap. I'm not doing it anymore, and.
Speaker 14: I want to start raising the rent based on property taxes. I asked Brad O'Brien about that the other day. Is my property taxes have doubled?
Speaker 12: Yeah, you can do that, he said, you can put that in your lease basically like cam charge is in a commercial property and.
Speaker 13: Trash pickup too.
Speaker 12: Denver used to pay for all the trash picked up in our property.
Speaker 3: You know, that's the number one thing why rentsive skyrocketed. Just like Bo's talking about the property tax. We got so screwed on that deal.
Speaker 12: How people voted to get rid of the Gallagher Amendment right, That shows you how dumb the population of Denver is.
Speaker 3: No, I mean Colorado in general.
Speaker 4: I swear to you, you know, whatever your political persuasion, I don't care.
Speaker 3: But no one can argue. No one can argue that Denver.
Speaker 4: And Colorado are in good fiscal or financial shape.
Speaker 12: Did you guys see the video again in the last I don't know. In the last week, another a complex in Aurora, multiple people going door to door with I mean, like I don't know if they're fully automatic weapons. I know with aks ars and doing the shakedown. I mean, it's absolutely unbelievable what goes on in Denver and Aurora.
Speaker 3: Can somebody answer me a question too? And I really mean this, And again, you know, at seventy one years old, I was in the media for years and years in TV, and you could you could discount me as some grumpy old man, but I'm not.
Speaker 4: But I will say this, Is it my imagination? Or does Channel nine downplay that stuff? Do you get the I get the depression that Channel.
Speaker 12: Nine Kyle Clark, and you know what, God love him. I watch him almost every night because he drives me insane. But I do find him irritated almost like he's personally trying to drive me insane.
Speaker 3: But he is the lefty, left leftist. It's insane. Now, I don't think it's weird. I don't think they misreport or I don't think they I do.
Speaker 12: He was just talking about those apartments. Every time he talks about the original one, he downplays people with assault rifles from other countries shaking down people in Aurora. He downplays it like, oh it was a big national thing and that's why Trump game here. Well, my god, everybody saw the video.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I just think that nine in general, Channel nine downplays negative news if it reflects badly on the progressive agenda. I really believe that they have some kind of I don't even know if it's a conscious effort, but there it's almost like they downplay anything that would be negative against a liberal agenda, and they they they over exaggerate s newze stories that make conservatives look bad. I mean, and I wonder is this my imagination because it.
Speaker 12: Is not your imagination. Well, thank local reporter Tom for a local news station. They're incredibly leaning one direction.
Speaker 4: Okay, we have more coming up on the Troubleshooter Show. Three O three seven one three eight two, five to five. Remember the thirty nine dollars deep clean check and tune of your AC fix it twenty four to seven. If you haven't had it done, thirty nine bucks, the heat is here.
Speaker 3: Get it done. Fix myhome dot com book now.
Speaker 4: Your Troubleshooter three oh three, seven to one three talk pretty soon. I'm going to be putting online on our stream this twenty by twenty shower from renew home innovations.
Speaker 3: It's twenty by twenty. That's a garage.
Speaker 4: Think about that. That's a garage. Goodness, great, Hey, I'll bet you it's almost the size of the Rock and Roll beer garden.
Speaker 3: Is that what you call? Do you call it a beer garden? Steve? What do you call that place where people go and hang out and drink beer on the weekend?
Speaker 9: They call that a beer garden? Last time unheard? But the people love it, Tom, It's real unique. It's you know, I got a big heart, you know, a nice old Harley sitting there in the bury and on display, and it's just it's just, you know, I got twelve touring guitars hanging up.
Speaker 15: It's really neat.
Speaker 9: Because it's a residential ranch area. It just it's like a place you just wouldn't think it would be, and people love it. They love our beer as well.
Speaker 4: Hey, Steve, what was it before you can averted it to a beer garden? Is this your bag or one?
Speaker 9: It just well, I've had my brewery there since I've been brewed since nineteen eighty five. But this location here, I've had, you know, since twenty sixteen, and we just distributed with cans and.
Speaker 8: Went to festivals and things like that.
Speaker 9: Now that we're approved for on site sales, this is pretty much there's only two places you can get our beer. It's at our beer garden or a Colorado National Speedway. And you don't want to miss the race coming up. They have an early Fourth of July race on the twenty eighth, and I'll have fireworks and everything. You really want to go out there. And by the way, if you sign up for our festival, our Brewfest on August second, you're going to give a free VIP NASS car ticket and your callers, let me see if anybody signs up. I'm also going to give them our new bourbon beer free.
Speaker 12: On arrival.
Speaker 9: When they show up at the festival, they'll get a free T shirt. And these are not cheap t shirts. These are like twenty dollars, very high quality T shirts, not so seek dollar stage shirt.
Speaker 4: Now, now I got to remind you we're on radio and we got a bunch of airheads listening and YouTube morons and people that are driving and doing other things.
Speaker 3: You're giving out a.
Speaker 4: Bunch of days here, So let's first just give out the events first and foremost. Every weekend you have a beer garden and opens up for people to come and sample your bruise and that where is that garden located?
Speaker 3: Where? Where? How do people find out that? And do they have to make a reservation or can they just show up?
Speaker 9: They can just show up. Making a reservation is nice because it's only at twenty five capacity, but it is near Firestone. It's a long mount address, but it's near across the street and Firestones. Any limits. Go to the website rock and roll dot Beer and want me to contact us page it'll have a Google map, and we hope on Saturdays two pm to nine pm. And our special event is going to be two pm to ten pm, and that's August second. It's going to sell out. We're given a famous Day seven piece brisket meal. I'm given about eighty dollars worth of stuff for forty five dollars. It doesn't it does not include beer. But your caller is today. If they you know, if they go ahead and register today, I'll go ahead and give them a pre beer.
Speaker 4: Okay, now beer, they can find out a pre be they can find now I get it. They can find out about all of these things at rocknroll Dot Beer can they also find out about the Colorado National Speedway stuff.
Speaker 3: Do you have any of that listed there?
Speaker 9: It will be uh, go to Coloradospeedway dot com is the best place to get all their readings. Okay, good material on a foreign dates.
Speaker 4: Now, you said there were only two places to get your beer. Let me get this straight. So I can't go to a liquor store somewhere and buy your brew.
Speaker 9: There's some you know that still have it, but we're not going to distribute anymore because it's a loser a wholesale for a small brewery. After expenses, you just don't make anything.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 9: We make a little bit when we do retail sales, but not enough to pay your mortgage.
Speaker 3: You know. It's just so basically, basically, it's a hobby. Basically, it's a hobby and a love of yours a passion. That's what it is.
Speaker 8: It is, yes, sir, Okay, I got this text.
Speaker 9: Very good at it.
Speaker 4: Every single time you're on, I get this text and I want to answer it. Okay, but I'm going to give you time, so hold on. And the text is this, Tom I've listened to Steve on your sh show, and I am very interested in not sales. Okay, I just want to know how do I get started as a hobby, what do I need, what does it cost?
Speaker 3: And is it possible to still do it? Meaning laws and all that. So hold on, Steve, we'll come back to that and more. I'm Tom Martino.
Speaker 4: We also have renew home Innovations dot Com in the house, so stick around for more discussions on fun stuff and any of your problems you might have.
Speaker 3: Three to zero three Martino.
Speaker 4: Hey, if you are on YouTube and looking at our stream, our feed, you're gonna see the most incredible shower I've ever seen. Twenty by twenty is the size of a large garage and it's a smart shower with connectivity. And I imagine, Nick, I got to ask you this real quick and then I'm going back to Steve. Steve, don't go away, Nick. Does this have a steam.
Speaker 3: Component in it?
Speaker 15: Oh?
Speaker 4: Absolutely so what would it take though for a twenty by twenty that's like a commercial steam unit?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: No, that's that was literally an I believe in the twenty kilowatt unit, so just massive, and it had multiple heads.
Speaker 5: That every every every possible feature.
Speaker 3: How many people I mean did this guy, I'm his wife just he and his wife. I mean, obviously that's what I'm saying. It's not usually something you invite friends in for Hey, you will come take a shower with us, But I mean, I guess different strokes, right, So truly this is incredible.
Speaker 5: Yes, I mean where did those.
Speaker 12: Two doors lead? Are those closets.
Speaker 5: Personal bidets for his and her gallon?
Speaker 3: It is not? Really it really is.
Speaker 12: Oh my god, yeah, I feel like a popper now.
Speaker 4: So anyway, for those who don't have YouTuber and looking at the feed, boy, it looks like one big giant glass in room, and then.
Speaker 3: It's is what what's what wall system do they have?
Speaker 6: They actually use the porcelain taj Mahall product.
Speaker 5: Wow, we actually even put it on the floor.
Speaker 6: So the entire base of the of the floor of that shower is the taj Mahall porcelain base.
Speaker 12: Isn't that slippery as hell?
Speaker 6: No, because the the hone material actually has a natural grip to it automatically mark So it's how do you get curved glass like that? Or is that a crylic We had to order that specially in from Florida. Anyway, nobody in the state makes it incredible.
Speaker 3: I'm going to go back to our picture here. But man, that is one heck of a sixty.
Speaker 12: Do you mind if I ask what the cost of that?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah, yeah yeah, what would what would the cost for that be?
Speaker 5: Ninety five?
Speaker 12: That's actually way better than I thought.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean think about that. What you get there? Yeah, anyway, I want to go back to Steve. Steve Moss. He's the owner of Rock and Roll Brewery rock and Roll dot Beer. Whether you go rock end roll or rock in the letter en roll doesn't matter. Rock and roll dot beer dot beer. Very interesting extension there.
Speaker 4: But anyway, Steve, if I just want to get started, you know, I'm from scratch. Is it difficult to get started just to have fun? It's just to brew beer for fun?
Speaker 5: Well, brew beer for fun?
Speaker 9: Is this a homebrew kit? If you're going to get them to the commercial part of it, I mean you're gonna have to. You know, there's a lot of things you have, state county, you know, all these difference we're talking.
Speaker 3: About just a hobby.
Speaker 4: As a hobby, do I need to do anything special with authorities of I'm just gonna go in my garage or my man cave and brew beer.
Speaker 9: Nobody has to have a license to do that. As long as you don't sell it.
Speaker 3: Okay, you sell it, then you're.
Speaker 9: In a you know, the racketeering.
Speaker 3: Are there any stores that specialize in home brewers.
Speaker 9: Yeah, there's a lot of them. Just go online and look, I don't I don't really deal with home brews shops anymore because they buy a wholesale and larger qualities. But if you google, you know, done or whatever, and you know home brew shops, there's a few of them.
Speaker 12: There's one in Castle Rocks. They'll help you to running Aurora.
Speaker 9: They'll help somebody to get started. The other thing, you can do many of them.
Speaker 3: Tom.
Speaker 12: You can buy something like the Grain Father. That's what I got. It's like six seven hundred bucks and it runs off an app and you just go out, buy the ingredients, pick what recipe you want, and it walks you through the entire brew cycle till the end. Really, just so you've done it before, Mark, yeah, I sure have.
Speaker 3: How is it well?
Speaker 12: The beer tastes great. My problem is the pricing of a home brew because you're not brewing, you're only brewing like five gallons. I mean, it costs more than going out and buy an in buying bottled beer. That's the problem. It's just isn't cost effective at all.
Speaker 9: Speaking of beer, can I talk about my event?
Speaker 3: Yeah, go ahead, Just.
Speaker 9: To remind everybody it's our We get one special event a year. There's a limited capacity in the limited time we can sell because it is a residential area. But it is August second, Saturday, August second, from two to ten pm. And you you know, for forty five dollars, you get an event t shirt, a very nice event t shirt, a choice between two different designs. Look at Rock and rollot Beer and you'll see them famous day seven piece brisket meal. This is not a cheap meal. I'm given about eighty dollars worth of stuff for forty five bucks. The beer is not included. But if your caller is booked today and they mentioned they heard this, you know I'll give them their first free beer. And there's also gonna be music. We're to give away a guitar, probably a stratocaster with the contest.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's a.
Speaker 9: Bunch other you know, just everybody's going to get a rapple ticket. I'm gonna be giving stuff away all I'm not gonna make money on this Tom, I'm just gonna have a ball.
Speaker 3: I mean, I wouldn't care if you did.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 3: I think it's great. You have a great time doing it.
Speaker 4: It's a passion, it's a lot of fun, and I certainly, I certainly wish you the best. So that's rock and roll dot Beer for more information August second, and then of course every weekend rock and roll dot Beer.
Speaker 3: Thanks for beer.
Speaker 8: Tom.
Speaker 12: If you're in town, maybe we actually drop in there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that would be cool. We could, August second, That would be fun. I'd have to go before all the people start. Well, I don't know about that. If he has an area off.
Speaker 12: To the side, there is behind the brewery. We drove out there about a month ago. There's a place we could definitely land, no issue.
Speaker 3: Cool, That would be a lot of fun. Steve, thanks for being here again.
Speaker 4: As I said three oh three seven one three talk seven one three two five five. Someone wants to know about natural stone for the shower. Does it require a lot of maintenance? Natural stone like like a granite or a natural stone of any kind of a marble?
Speaker 3: What is not recommended for showers?
Speaker 5: Well, I definitely.
Speaker 6: Wouldn't do any anything that's a granite, or anything that's uh porous, porous. Yeah, I wouldn't do anything that has it because it's it's going to require constant maintenance.
Speaker 3: Even granite does. Oh absolutely.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: When back in two thousand and five when I got into bathrooms, that was an option and it quickly went away because the product would allow moisture to come through pretty easily. Okay, it was very very problematic. That's what that's the attraction to the porcelain. This is done once, once you're once you're done with it.
Speaker 5: You don't have to mess with it.
Speaker 6: It's simple, it's anti macrobield.
Speaker 5: There's just so many benefits to using a product like.
Speaker 3: That, so things don't latch onto it and grow. No.
Speaker 6: No, I don't even need to put any type of antimicrobial into the product because it naturally funds it off.
Speaker 3: And so let me get this straight. There are no drout lines or anything.
Speaker 5: Like that, just in the corners of where the seams are.
Speaker 3: Okay, Uh, Lisa, welcome to the show. What's going on with you, Lisa?
Speaker 16: Tom I'm always talking with Sue and I was going to ask you this, if you could tell me what that doctor that you went to for cancers could you tell.
Speaker 8: Me about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can, and I can do it very quickly, but I have to take this break, So hold on. I'm Tom Martino. Three oh three seven to one, three eight two five five Tom Martino. I want to go right to Lisa. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: We are solving problems, answering questions, taking complaints. What's going on, Lisa?
Speaker 4: You want to know about You asked about the doctor that treated me for cancer, and obviously there's not one doctor. There's a team of doctors depending on what phase or what you're going through. May I ask the reason? And I'm not trying to be tricky here, but I'm wondering what is the reason you're asking?
Speaker 3: Do you want to make a referral to somebody?
Speaker 16: No, I want to go myself.
Speaker 3: Well, do you have cancer?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 3: I do?
Speaker 16: They found it in the middle of my chest.
Speaker 3: Really what kind of cancer? I don't know. Came out a big old black bob.
Speaker 16: I can even remember think of the name of it.
Speaker 3: Okay, Lisa, so your friend that you.
Speaker 16: Sent me, I know that doctors will know right away.
Speaker 3: There's something.
Speaker 4: Because of the text and emails I get there's something I really want to make clear here. Okay, and I really, I really want to make this clear, and then I will give you what I consider a recommendation. But the doctor you choose for cancer don't have a lot to do. I don't know how to put this. They don't have a lot to.
Speaker 3: Do with necessarily the overall outcome.
Speaker 4: Those outcomes are usually determined by the type of diagnosis and the time of diagnoses, right, okay, So in other words, in other words, let's just say there are some there are some surgeons that are more skilled than others, and there are some oncologists that have different manner manner you know, bedside manner or chair side manner.
Speaker 3: But the point is this is that that cancer in.
Speaker 4: And of itself has what's called protocols, and for example, on oncologists, you're really very an oncologist for those listening is kind of like your primary care doctor during cancer. Okay, they take care of you going through all this. They're your central point of contact. But the.
Speaker 3: How shall I put this?
Speaker 4: The oncologists doesn't do anything special, they really don't.
Speaker 3: They simply explain to you what's going on with you and what.
Speaker 4: Your outcomes should be expected, and what treatments they recommend. But you're very seldom going to find way different recommendations from different oncologists. They all follow general protocols when it comes to cancer. Now, when it comes to surgery, making a recommendation for a surgeon means nothing because surgeons have their specialties when it comes to cancer. Yes, there are some general surgeons, but in essence, for example, you have surgeons that specialize in GI cancer, okay, and that's the pancreas and the liver, gallbladder, stuff like that. Then you have surgeons that specialize in the lungs, you have surgeons that specialize in the brain. So giving you a recommendation is not going to do any good. What people need to look for are groups, medical groups that have all of these experts within them. So, in other words, you go to a medical group like ABC group, and that group has within its walls the cancer specialists that you might need to see, But for you to get a second opinion, you need to go outside.
Speaker 3: Of those walls. I'm going to give you a very specific specific example with me. I went to UCE Health.
Speaker 4: You see Health as a giant organization and they have U see Health cancer Care. It is a well known, well respected cancer care clinic. Within the cancer care clinic, there are several divisions to deal with different cancers. So if I give you the name of my doctor, it would mean nothing because you need to find, first of all, someone in the area of cancer you have. So what you want to do is go to a group like let's say Memorial Sloan Kettering or MD Anderson or the Mayo Clinic or you SEE Health.
Speaker 3: Or that kind of thing.
Speaker 4: And what you do is you make a general appointment with their cancer team and then they assign you to whatever experts are best in that field. But for you to get a second opinion, as I said, if you went to UCEE Health, you would not want to go to another uce Health doctor for your second opinion.
Speaker 3: You would want to go outside of you see Health.
Speaker 4: Not because you can't trust them, but because they all in the same group have the same protocols. They do certain things a certain way, and while one surgeon might be a little more skilled than another, they all all follow the U SEE Health protocols.
Speaker 3: Just like if you go to M. D Anderson, They're all going to follow the M. D Anderson protocols.
Speaker 4: So Lisa, without knowing what kind of cancer you have, Obviously you can't pick the specialty group. You're just gonna have to call. What I would do is I would call you See Health cancer Care. That's where I would start, and.
Speaker 13: Then get a second opinion from Rocky Mountain Cancer Centers.
Speaker 3: That's a good idea too, Doc. What doc is Rocky Mountain Cancer Center a medical group?
Speaker 13: Yes?
Speaker 3: Okay? And are they well respected around the country.
Speaker 13: I don't know about around the country, but they are in Denver, Okay.
Speaker 4: And again I happened to I went for my second and third and fourth opinions.
Speaker 3: I started at Rose.
Speaker 4: And obviously that they it just wasn't a good fit for me. I went to Uce Health where I parked, and then I opinions from the Mayo Clinic, M D.
Speaker 3: Anderson and Memorial Sloan Kettering.
Speaker 13: Were we all to do that? It's a great idea, yeah.
Speaker 4: So try to get as many opinions as you can. I'm Tom Martino. We have more coming up on the Troubleshooter Show. We have renew Home Innovations dot Com in the house and your calls right after this.
Speaker 1: Ripped you needed by so you don't have.
Speaker 8: Come run in.
Speaker 1: Just as fast as we can shooter's gonna help come Man Dix is the Troubleshooter Show.
Speaker 3: No, Tom Martino, I'm.
Speaker 4: Tom March, and I welcome you to the This is the only shoots kind anywhere. And you know I've been saying that for forty five years, actually fifty years if you count outside of Denver. So happy to be here helping you solve problems, answer questions, take complaints. This hour brought to you by waterpros dot Net. Water right now is such a key element in good health, and tap water is just not safe. Honest to God, it's not. I mean yeah, it's not going to kill you right away. But just microplastics, forever, chemicals, chlorine. You can get rid of all of that and condition your water. Do the whole house for just thirty nine to ninety five, the lowest price anywhere in water conditioning, the lowest price with waterpros dot net. Great people, great products. Three zero three eighty six two five five five four. Remember when it comes to water, think waterpros dot net. Now let's talk to Kevin, who has a question on some documents.
Speaker 3: Hey Kevin, what's going on in your life? Kevin? Welcome, what's happening? Well?
Speaker 8: I got it here to a few years ago through will of others will, And now I find on unclaimed funds in Arizona that wow, there may be money in other's name. But the lawyer who drew up the will, Joseph Guderman, is no longer in practice. But he has an address and the phone, but the phone is a mailbox full, doesn't appen.
Speaker 4: How did you find, Kevin? How did you find out there were unclaimed funds?
Speaker 8: I went to Arizona unclaimed fund site?
Speaker 3: Why did you do that? Did your brother live there? Oh?
Speaker 8: You mean Arizona? Yeah, yeah, I used to live there, So I found out about that a few years ago. So I searched several states. But the thing is, I have other's guest certificate, but not others.
Speaker 3: And wait a minute, wait a minute, this was left to you by your brother. Is that correct? No?
Speaker 9: Mother?
Speaker 4: Oh, mother, I'm sorry, mother, mother, mother. Why do you need your father's birth certificate? Then that's not birth you mean death certificate. Why do you need your dad's death certificate?
Speaker 8: Well, for unclaimed funds, because it's been about it's been more than ten years. But the thing is, I need his will, if there is one from this lawyer, because the only will I have is from for the Leather, and his name is in it. But she died after I did it, and I'm named in it. And but I need a death certificate for unclaimed funds in Arizona for your father, and I need a will as proof. And so how do you find out if a lawyer is not working anymore?
Speaker 5: The doctor?
Speaker 3: Okay? There is a depot. Each state has a depository where attorneys deposit records. And I'm not sure what it's called, but when they go out of business, they have to make a good faith effort to either forward or to pick or to find all of their clients and get them taken care of and get records back.
Speaker 4: Or to transfer those records. I will, I'll let me look in my records here and I'll find out where that is. But really what it is, it's a depository must much like unclaimed funds where there are unclaimed records. And where was this attorney licensed Arizona? Yeah, okay, I think uh.
Speaker 9: I have a go ahead, dress.
Speaker 8: I have a potential address or last known address where he worked in flag Staff, but he drew up the will when he lived in Scottsdale.
Speaker 3: How old. Do you think the guy is right now?
Speaker 8: Well, I don't know, but the will is from two thousand and three and I last talked to him about three or four years ago. But since then he's stopped working apparently, And I get it.
Speaker 3: Have you ever thought about a private eye?
Speaker 8: Yeah, that costs a lot of money.
Speaker 4: How much money is in this in the estate left? Do you think from this unclaimed funds?
Speaker 8: They don't say. They just have a name.
Speaker 9: And you know there's.
Speaker 8: Multiple people with similar with the same names in the US, so there's no way to tell without sending them the required documents. And do you know how to get a death certificate? If it's been longer? In Arizona, they don't give him out after a year wow, And they require a certificate for the person asking for the death certificate. Do you know have a way to get around that to get a desertificate?
Speaker 3: You know what we can find? We can ask one of our attorneys.
Speaker 4: I would ask Dan McKenzie, So why don't you hold on and we'll ask him that question and more on this. So, Kachina, can you get Dan McKenzie on to address this?
Speaker 3: I can and see see if he can help us.
Speaker 4: He might be able to give us some general information, Kevin, to get you on the road. So, Kevin, is it possible I'm going to ask this again, Arizona? Did your mom and dad live in Arizona as well?
Speaker 14: Is that?
Speaker 11: Why?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Okay, do you Is there any possibility that there are other states where there's unclaimed property as well?
Speaker 3: Or you don't know?
Speaker 8: Well, that's why I searched several states.
Speaker 3: But okay, possibly, Okay, I'll tell you what hold on and we'll get just some legal advice.
Speaker 4: Three oh three seven, one, three eight, two five five. Andrew, Hi, welcome to the Tom Martinez. Shit, what's going on?
Speaker 3: Andrew?
Speaker 8: Hey? Tom?
Speaker 3: How are you? Good man? What's happening?
Speaker 9: Hey?
Speaker 10: I need your help with a contractor problem having with a contractor what is the problem. So there's dispute about the final invoice they are saying, Yeah, they're saying that there are items that are change orders or are not covered in the original contract. For example, there's one that's forty two hundred dollars for stone on the bottom of the building. And I'm looking at the construction documents right now, which is what they did from, and it clearly shows that there's stone on the bottom side of the building as well as there's some support columns, and they're claiming that the change order for forty two hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: On the original contract. On the original contract.
Speaker 4: Do they have a line by line item for each thing, for example, exterior stone, trim and columns. Do they have that line by line with a price or is it just mentioned?
Speaker 10: It looks like it's just mentioned.
Speaker 3: Are there any line by line items in that contract?
Speaker 8: There are some, there's some.
Speaker 10: But it's not like a very detailed to say, like you know, stone would be three dollars a square dot whatever or not for that level of detail, just very general.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: In the contract itself, does it talk about how to handle change orders?
Speaker 9: It does not.
Speaker 10: And they were several change orders that I approved. This was not a want to change order.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 10: Well from the original drawing, I.
Speaker 3: Get no, I get you, is there on the change orders you approved? What does that look like?
Speaker 10: Like?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 3: Is there is there an actual change order with your signature and their signature?
Speaker 4: I mean when you say, well, what form do your change orders take? The ones that you're not disputing?
Speaker 17: What form?
Speaker 3: Are those change orders?
Speaker 10: Mostly verbal?
Speaker 3: So for example, I, well, then okay, well verbal is not verbal doesn't count. So the ones that you agree to, how are they noted?
Speaker 5: How?
Speaker 4: How why are you not disputing them? Did you make a note somewhere of all the change orders?
Speaker 10: I did, so I kept track of it, and that's why I know that those cacturate.
Speaker 3: So how many change orders did you agree.
Speaker 10: One, two, three, four, six or seven?
Speaker 4: There are six or seven you agreed to, and the ones you're disputing?
Speaker 3: How many are you disputing?
Speaker 8: So two?
Speaker 10: One is a around the stone and then the other is not a change order, but it's they're saying that the to get the electrical pedestal to the ADU was at my expense. Yet everything in their contract that was excluded is actually listed as an exclusion, for example, the.
Speaker 9: Septic, the garage door.
Speaker 10: But there's no there's nothing in the contract that excludes the pedestal for the electric for the ADU.
Speaker 9: And so that's another thirty.
Speaker 4: But why tell me why that would not be your expense? I mean, logically it's yours. Why would it not be.
Speaker 10: I assume it was theirs because it wasn't excluded in the contract.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but okay, that's a weird way of putting it.
Speaker 4: It actually just the opposite, is it's yours unless it's mentioned in the contract. I mean it kind of like it sounds a little backwards. All and everything on that project is your responsibility unless the contractor takes responsibility in writing.
Speaker 3: You're looking at it just the opposit and you're.
Speaker 4: Saying, because the contractor, you know, did not assign it to me, he's automatically responsible for it. Well, it's not his house, it's not his project, it's not his power. I mean that that's just a bad way of looking at it. And I believe a court, I believe a court of equity would tell you you're crazy. It's your project. I mean, why would he be responsible for anything? But I want to get down to the nitty gritty. How much money are we talking about on the change orders? You disagree with I mean, okay, now I agree with you. If it's mentioned in the main contract forty two ndred dollars, then why is he charging you, I mean, not forty two hundred but stone trim? Why is he charging you forty two hundred for stone trim?
Speaker 3: Well? I want to know what he said, but I got to take a break.
Speaker 4: I'm I'm Tom Martino, Hold on real quick, though, Dan mackenzie, I hope you can hold, and I'll take you after the break as well. We have more coming right up. Tom Martino here three zero three seven one three eight two five five. Okay, So Dan mackenzie, I want to go to right away and ask, uh, Dan, I have Kevin here. But this is more of a bigger issue when you know there are some unclaimed funds in a state, and uh, you don't have a death certificate, and the state says, in Arizona, we don't give them out after a year?
Speaker 3: Is that right, Kevin? Is that what they said? We we don't do it more than a year after death. We do not issue death certificates.
Speaker 8: That's what they claim. But I talked to someone who says that's not true. But there's still been twenty and twelve is when he died, so it would be too late anyway, probably.
Speaker 4: So Kevin, I mean, Dan mackenzie, McKenzie law, If I want to get a death certificate for someone who died you know that many years ago, what would I do? There's got to be some kind of mechanism, right.
Speaker 8: They require a birth certificate by the person asking for it.
Speaker 3: So do you have a Burtha? You don't have anything, right, No, So what would happen? Dan? What do I do if I just need to get it?
Speaker 17: I mean, who is the person related to you and his dad?
Speaker 3: His dad?
Speaker 10: I'll to get it. I guess it's hard for me to say. For Arizona, I just.
Speaker 17: Cannot imagine why they wouldn't take money to issue another burst or a death certificate. And it's no consistent with anything I've ever experienced, because you might need those we've got. Probably it's going on from people that died twenty years ago. It's sometimes property is found much later that people didn't realize. So it's it comes up actually where you do need a despertificate much much later than after they died.
Speaker 8: I just named I'm named in mother's will, but I have her death certificate and I got the money from her through Chase Bank four years ago. But I don't have his will.
Speaker 9: I don't know if he.
Speaker 8: Had one, but her will named me and him in the working of this two and a half page will.
Speaker 3: What year did he die?
Speaker 8: Twenty twelve?
Speaker 3: And they told you flat out they are not going to do it.
Speaker 17: You mean the state, yes, a vital records Department of Arizona.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, they require a certificate by the person asking for the death certificate.
Speaker 3: Okay, hold on, so it's not the one year that's holding you up.
Speaker 4: It's the birth certificate, right, Okay, So then that's a whole bunch different. So the reason you can't get a death certificate is because you don't have a birth certificate. That's the bottom line. It has nothing to do with the one year deadline. So this one year what is what? Why'd you even bring that up? That's not even an issue.
Speaker 8: Well, because if it was a year or less since they die, then you can get one, oh oh.
Speaker 3: With you can get one without a birth certificate.
Speaker 8: And also also, if I can find out what documents this lawyer Gooderman has in Arizona, it might also include his will with my name in it. But I can't find the will or if.
Speaker 9: There is one.
Speaker 4: What would you do in a case like this, Dan, if this guy came to you and says, look, I need help. My dad lived in Arizona, died in Arizona. I need to know if he had a will somewhere lodged, and I need to know. I need to get a death certificate. But I don't have his birth certificate?
Speaker 3: What would you do? I mean, you you all love this answer.
Speaker 17: It kind of goes back to the conversation you and I keep having about like how do people know that these wills exist? I mean among the lawyer community that practices is kind of law. We frequently trade messages in our you know, our online message boards or email community is saying did anybody do a will for this person?
Speaker 15: Like it can be that that sort of.
Speaker 17: Investigative work where you're asking other attorneys and hoping somebody has you know, enough memory that they did something for somebody.
Speaker 9: So.
Speaker 8: Will because he drew up my mother's will and he died first, and I don't know, right, good lawyer in Scottsdale.
Speaker 4: Is there a place wait, wait, wait, I want to ask about a depository?
Speaker 3: Dan.
Speaker 4: I was told there's a depository where attorneys, where records go if an attorney goes out of business and they can't find the right people.
Speaker 3: Is that right? Or am I a dreaming that.
Speaker 17: Is something like in Colorado that is still being developed actually, but that would be good. I mean if you check the Secretary of State's office in Arizona and see if they have something, because yeah, there could be some sort of record of you know, he had original copies of Will's in his files. I think that really would be something that no one should throw out.
Speaker 3: By the way, here's the deal.
Speaker 4: I was told here from the Arizona Department of Vital Records that if you have a birth certificate and can show that you were related to the person, they will issue a death certificate.
Speaker 3: Excuse me, a birth certificate for the person.
Speaker 8: And I don't need his I don't have I need a birerificate to get his death certificate and I don't have one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what it says, that you need a birth certificate. But have you tried going to vital records in Arizona.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, they're the ones that told me I need my birth certificate to get right.
Speaker 3: Yes, no, I agree with you.
Speaker 4: That's what the requirement is. But where is your birth certificate? Why haven't you tried to get one?
Speaker 18: I don't know how, I don't know where, I don't know if there is one, And well, of course there is. Well not everybody has one, Yeah they do, no, because some people aren't. Many people aren't born in hospitals. And but anyway, if I could find this lawyer.
Speaker 13: I have a suggestion, Tom.
Speaker 4: Okay, I don't think you're going to find the attorney. There is a process. I don't know why we're having this conversation. There is a process that Vital Records has for you getting a birth certificate. If you were born in Arizona, they will absolutely have a record of you somewhere, and all you have to do is make an application with the And if you knew the county, it's even easier.
Speaker 3: Do you know the county you were born in?
Speaker 8: No, but if I could find his will, if he had a will, if I could find that, it would connect with my mother's will.
Speaker 3: Of course it would, of course it would.
Speaker 4: But we're looking for alternatives now because if you could do that right, if you could, that would be wonderful.
Speaker 3: But you can't.
Speaker 4: So if you have a valid photo ID, the Bureau of I'm just telling you, Vital Statistics or Vital Records office in Arizona will look up and provide a birth certificate and it's usually about twenty to thirty dollars.
Speaker 8: I wasn't born in Arizona, I just lived there for a few decades.
Speaker 3: Where were you born, man? I mean, I thought where New York.
Speaker 4: Oh God, Okay, I imagine each state has its own process. Have you tried to go back to New York where you were born to get a birth certificate?
Speaker 8: Yeah, but I don't know which city I would go.
Speaker 3: To, and neither do I.
Speaker 4: You're right, you would have to have at least a county. You have no idea what county you were born in.
Speaker 12: No, Wow, Tom, I have a suggestion for Kevin.
Speaker 13: Yeah, all right, Kevin, what you need to do the fine?
Speaker 14: This Gooterman is called the Arizona Bar Association, and they should have this Guuterman's phone number and address. Even if he's retired, he would still be listed in the bar records.
Speaker 8: I have two phone numbers for him, which are no good, and I have a business address for him, which may be good. But he's not there, and I don't know if he had partners or what you know?
Speaker 3: I mean, Kevin, Kevin, by the way, I know you revel in creating these paint in the corner impossible to get out scenarios. But we're in that corner with you, so we don't know really much more than you do. Other than the normal channels. I mean, we don't have any deep, dark secret or holding from you. And every time we bring up a scenario, you bring up an objection on objection, So there's really the answer to your problem might be there is no answer that that just might be you have to give up I mean Kevin, because like I said, there's no magic here. We have an attorney on Dan McKenzie who handles these issues every day. Dan McKenzie. He seems he wanted to be steering us to places where it's going to be impossible. I'm saying the easiest route to what he needs is to get his own birth certificate from New York. And I don't know. So how do you get So?
Speaker 4: How do you get your birth certificate? You know, if you don't know where in New York you were born. Here's what I'm told. I'm told that All Benning, New York. I went to the State of Vital Records in New York. New York State has a State of Vital Records and an address in all Benning, New York. For thirty dollars, they will look up every single county and come up with any similar names or dates of your birth and provide you with a copy of the birth certificate. So if you went to the Office of Vital Records Certificate. It's Vital Records Certification Unit in All Benning, New York, and you apply and pay thirty dollars. This site is telling me I even have a phone number that you can call, and they're telling me they will provide you with a birth certificate.
Speaker 3: So if you did that and.
Speaker 4: They couldn't provide you with a birth certificate, then you weren't born there.
Speaker 7: Okay, well, can you ask mister mackenzie if if I could find a will that the connection would be good enough?
Speaker 3: You see, here you go again.
Speaker 4: Here you go again, Kevin, if you could find a will, but you can't find a will, why do you keep saying that? Of course, if you had a will, it would be wonderful, It would be wonderful. We agree with you, Kevin. So there's your answer. Yes, it would be easier. It would be a slam dunk if you had a will.
Speaker 3: Now that you have that answer, how does that change your How does that change anything? We agree with you that having a will is best. So now what you got your answer?
Speaker 8: Okay, so.
Speaker 3: I'll give you the yes. Yes, here's vital records. Hold on, it's eight seven seven eight five four four four eight one. And they say you can do everything online, but.
Speaker 4: You can and get your questions answered at that phone number eight seven seven eight five four four four eight one.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much. Now here's the deal.
Speaker 4: I recognize his voice from before, and he loves presenting scenarios. It happens with every call I've ever taken from him. He presents a scenario that has a seemingly impossible answer when we attempt to answer it. He likes shooting down our answers. So it's not up to me to create magic for Kevin. All I do is give answers, and he says, well, I can't do this. I can't do that.
Speaker 3: I'd rather have a copy of the Will. I'd rather have world peace. That's what I'd rather have. But it's not going to happen. Troy on medical documents, What is your quick question here? I might have to answer it after the break. What is your question?
Speaker 5: Troy?
Speaker 3: Troy? Did he go away? Can somebody help me here? Troy? Are you there? Okay?
Speaker 4: Hang on, he's coming up, Troy. Welcome, Hi, Troy. What is your question?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 15: My medical position?
Speaker 8: She lost her license?
Speaker 15: Who's told to voluntarily give it up. Wow, how do I get a hold of my treatment records from her?
Speaker 3: Well? Your records? Now, there is a depository for medical records.
Speaker 13: Right, doc, Well, according to you, she has to have the record stored for seven years, So she can't just get rid of the medical records. They have to be available.
Speaker 4: And what I would do is contact the But if she was sold to give up her license, there's a possibility she's a deadbeat to begin with.
Speaker 3: Hold on, We'll come right back to this. Hold on. All right, So Troy had a question on medical records.
Speaker 4: His doctors out of business, lost her life, actually lost her license.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you some Troy. Was she like, do you know why she lost her license and what's going on with that?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 15: What I read in the disciplinary record was she didn't follow the directions that were giving to her by the medical board. To I guess she was going through some sort of treatment. They don't get into detail what the frement was.
Speaker 3: Oh, it sounds like drug abuse. I mean, that's what it sounds like.
Speaker 15: Many times I just looked Yeah, I just looked up her on people First. It looks like she's so in Colorado, butt out in a single life, close to Simila.
Speaker 4: So, doc, Doc, let's just say a doctor went through disciplinary action, gave up her license.
Speaker 3: How do you find what?
Speaker 4: What would what would be the first place where would be the first place she would go for records?
Speaker 13: I would send us certified letter to her practice address, because there should be some somebody that knows who those medical records are. She has to keep them for seven years from the from the date. Yeah, yeah, so send a letter to.
Speaker 3: Send a letter to the practice.
Speaker 13: But they would they might forward it to somewhere and then I.
Speaker 15: Mean, there's nothing there. She it was her practice, she ran the business.
Speaker 3: I understand that.
Speaker 13: But then maybe it may be forwarded to where she's keeping the records. So I would send a certified letter to the address, and then if it gets returned, call up the Colorado Medical Board and find out how to get in touch with her, because she's legally obligated to keep those records. She can't just destroy them because she lost a license.
Speaker 15: Yeah, she had everything online, so she used an online system.
Speaker 4: A lot of people people do, well, here's what we're here's what we're saying to you. Here's what we're saying to you. You're probably right. She probably didn't do things properly. What Doc is saying is this, if you write a letter, because that's what they're going to ask you to do. So don't even call the medical board yet. Write a letter and ask for your officially asked for your records Number two.
Speaker 3: When she doesn't answer you, you go to the medical board.
Speaker 4: They will pressure her, whether she has a license or not, to get back to you, or she could face criminal negligence.
Speaker 3: I mean, this could be serious.
Speaker 13: So she can't just disregard the medical records. She has to keep writing.
Speaker 4: So then the worst case scenario is is the worst case scenario is she destroyed them and or misplaced them and she goes down for criminal negligence. The best case scenario she finds them and makes copies for you. But I have a very interesting question right now, why do you need your records? Usually medical record can be duplicated and are not that essential. Why are yours so unique that you need them? What in those records do you need?
Speaker 15: Yeah, I'm appealing a VA denial.
Speaker 3: Okay, gotcha, gotcha? Enough said I gotcha?
Speaker 9: Okay, And so.
Speaker 15: She didn't pay the subscription to the company that that online portal means nothing.
Speaker 4: Troy you keep bypassing what we're telling you. The online portal is simply an interface, okay. And even that online portal would not destroy medical records.
Speaker 3: Whether she paid her bill or not, whether she was a total.
Speaker 4: Drug addict or not, those records exist somewhere unless she burned them.
Speaker 3: So you start with a letter.
Speaker 4: To the practice, then you go to the medical board, and then you come back to us if you get no reaction.
Speaker 3: I think that is going to be the way to do it. Now, I want to remind Andrew I'm coming back to him. I did not forget him. He's coming up right after this. All right, Thanks, Hi Tom Martino here.
Speaker 4: So, Andrew, I looked into this into some past that we've had issues like this, and here's what I need to ask you.
Speaker 3: This is really important. On the ones that you do agree, do you have any texts or anything going back and forth?
Speaker 9: I did on one.
Speaker 10: No, So I have one change order that I had to put a deck on because the grade was too steep, and all the others were verbal.
Speaker 4: Okay, Now, this is a pretty obvious question for me, and I'm hoping it was obvious for you. You see a forty two charge and it's for stone Trim. You go back to the original contract and you see stone trim. What did you say to him? Did you say, why am I being charged twice? What did he say about that?
Speaker 10: So I asked the owner Sarah three times, and she just keeps coming back and saying, be assured our invoicing is correct, which historically it has not been. So five weeks ago she sent me a final invoice for twenty nine thousand. I said I would like an itemized list of the original bid change orders, and then I provided some items I should get credit for. Took her three weeks. Then she comes back and says, says, I now owe thirteen thousand. So it went from twenty nine thousand now to thirteen thousand. And then as I look through this thirteen thousand final I see the forty two eleven or stone, which I'm actually looking at the construction doctorument.
Speaker 3: Okay, hold on, but you're not disputing the rest.
Speaker 4: I'm going to have some do it yourself action that I need you to do, and then will help you coming up on Tom Martinez three oh three seven one three eight two five The dues and don'ts of Home Improvements.
Speaker 3: Right after this ripped news, need advice, who you don't have, come, run in just as fast as we can.
Speaker 1: Shooter's gonna help come.
Speaker 12: This is the Troubleshooter Show.
Speaker 2: No Tom Martine.
Speaker 3: Hi, I'm Tom Martino. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 4: This hour brought to you by Genesis tootalexteriors dot com kitchens, baths, basements and all exterior genesistotalexteriors dot com.
Speaker 3: Great people.
Speaker 4: Hey, We've been talking about an issue with a contractor where change orders are not jiving with his final accounting. And we often have this problem with finance jobs. And that's why I wanted to talk about this, and I want to tell everyone this. When you have construction or home improvements on your home, you must have everything in the contract upfront delineated, and I mean line items.
Speaker 3: That doesn't mean a line item for each individual thing, but for each individual category.
Speaker 4: For example, you may have a line item for stone trim. You may have so you don't have to have like window trim, door trim, this thing, but then you have exterior trim, exterior stone trim. You might have windows that's a line item. Roofing is a line item. Or you may have a bathroom the whole bathroom could be a line item, the downstairs hallway bath line item, so you don't have to do each little towel rack and all of that. Now, here's what gets people into trouble more than anything when it comes to home improvements.
Speaker 3: Who wants to take a guess? Even though this wasn't the.
Speaker 4: Caller's issue, if I had to give you a guess, I'm going to Hey, let me give you an example. We've had live examples on this show where a contractor bids jobs.
Speaker 3: Now the consumer picks the lowest priced.
Speaker 4: Contract, not all the time, but sometimes, and the lowest price contract turned out to be the highest priced.
Speaker 13: How did that happen because they underbid it.
Speaker 4: No, there's something else that people never consider, And I'm serious right now, I'm going to give you some information that if you are a homeowner or a business owner and you're doing renovations, this will change your life. It's called allowance items. What is an allowance item? Giving an example of an allowance item?
Speaker 3: Do you know what it is? Bo? Do you know what it is that needs or me an example of how how would it be spelled out in a contract.
Speaker 13: Well, I just bought my house at a X number of dollars allowance for a washer and a dryer.
Speaker 3: Yes you did, Yes you did.
Speaker 4: And when you do your build your house, or you have a contract for home improvements, it might say bathroom hardware allowance forty five hundred dollars, not cost, not expense, but allowance.
Speaker 3: So what does that mean. That means that in the contract you get this total bid, but only if you keep the bathroom hardware at forty five hundred dollars. If you go over on the hardware, then.
Speaker 4: Your increase will be your your job will increase accordingly. If you go under your increase, I mean your job total will decrease. But here is what some unscrupulous or less than totally ethical contractors do. They put in unrealistic allowance items. So the contract, Wow, I'm going to have this done for one hundred and forty nine thousand dollars. It's a big master bath, the master bedroom, and we're going to have a walk in closet, and we're going to have this, or we're going to have a kitchen, or we're going to have a bath. So they're comparing that one hundred forty nine dollars contract for forty nine thousand dollars contract. Let's say with someone else's one hundred sixty two thousand dollars contract, and they say to themselves, Wow, the one hundred forty nine thousand dollars contract looks way better than the one hundred and sixty two thousand dollars contract. But let's say allowance for fur coverings. So they put allowance for tile in the kitchen. Somebody puts it in at forty.
Speaker 3: Five hundred dollars.
Speaker 4: The lower contract does, but the guy bidding one hundred and sixty two knows that the tile in that kitchen can never be done for less than sixty eight hundred, so they put down seventy two hundred to cover themselves.
Speaker 3: So here's what I'm getting at. Allowance items are not the cost.
Speaker 4: They are allowances, And you can screw yourself totally if you agree to a contract with unrealistic allowance items.
Speaker 13: Well, don't you think it's up to the homeowner to do a little bit of due diligence and.
Speaker 12: See if it's reasonable.
Speaker 3: Yes, But also I don't like contractors. They're kind of lying.
Speaker 4: For example, if you're doing a big master bath project and they put down an allowance item for shower walls or tile, and they put the allowance down at eighteen hundred dollars. They're lying to you, no one in the world can ever do it for eighteen hundred. The minimum might be forty eight hundred or fifty two hundred. So what you're doing is you're getting an artificially low price. Once they get you hooked and you have all these low allowance items, they can say to you, Up, you went over on this allowance.
Speaker 3: Up you went over on this allowance. Up you went over on this allowance.
Speaker 4: So it's very important that when you look at line items, those line items are not allowance items. They are actual cost items. Now, there's also another clause that could happen, and this is what to watch out for two, because it virtually turns the cost items, the line items into allowances. If they give you cost of exterior stone forty two hundred, cost of windows sixty five thousand, cost of stucco forty five hundred, and then at the end you sign this contract and there's a clause that says notice cost items are estimated on such and such a date to the best information available to contractor. Prices are subject to change without notice. You've just turned the entire contract into allowance items. It could turn out that that one hundred and forty nine thousand dollars contract turns out to be one hundred and ninety two thousand dollars. There are so many problems that can happen if you don't know how to make a contract. Contracts should always be done on costs not to exceed.
Speaker 3: Period.
Speaker 4: If a contractor can't give you a cost not to exceed on each line, don't use them.
Speaker 3: Well, Tom, don't use go ahead.
Speaker 13: Don't you think? You also need to specify what it is that you're you're getting, So you can't just say exterior stone. You should say, you know, granted four by four tiles.
Speaker 3: This well, okay, to a certain extent, yes, so you can get crazy on that.
Speaker 4: But a lot of times what's better to do is to have a plan, and if you need an architect's stamp or an engineer.
Speaker 3: Stamp, it's stamped.
Speaker 4: You have a plan, and then the contract says exterior stone trim forty five hundred dollars specifications see plans. Then the contract doesn't get overwhelming. So the plan then would have If you've ever noticed plans, they have what's called a blow up or a focus on the siding. So it has a little arrow pointing to the siding and it goes to a circle, and the circle shows the specific item you're getting. Now, people might say, Tom, this is brain damage. You're absolutely right it is. You're absolutely right.
Speaker 3: But if you wanted to have it done right, it.
Speaker 4: Doesn't have to be brain damage because it all should be done like that normally.
Speaker 3: So, Andrew, I want to ask.
Speaker 4: You a question on a side note, you called about an issue you don't agree with, and the contractor says, our accounting is right. That was a change order. It was more than we bargained for, so you have to pay the extra forty two hundred bucks. What I want to know is was that an allowance item in your contract or was it a cost item?
Speaker 10: I don't know which one. I think it might have been an allowance because when they asked me to select the stone, so everything that they have asked me to select that ball.
Speaker 4: No, No, we're going, we're getting somewhere here, going, we're getting somewhere. When they asked you to pick the stone, keep going.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I asked, is it budget? So they said, here's what's in budget. So the same thing with the front door. They say, here's what's in budget.
Speaker 3: I went then if you went over that, it's your response. If you went over that, Andrew, it's your responsibility. How do you know you didn't?
Speaker 10: How do you know they said this was in budget?
Speaker 8: And then now they're saying it's a change order.
Speaker 10: So they're charging me for all of the stone, not a overage of what they may have thought they needed. They have forty two eleven for all the stone on the bottom half of the building and the concrete or are on the post, the base of the post. That's it clearly in the plans that they did.
Speaker 4: Okay, So what you should do to make this simple is to pay everything that you owe minus that amount of money.
Speaker 8: Okay.
Speaker 3: And then this is what I should say. This is what I would do.
Speaker 4: I would write a letter or an email or a document saying, here is payment on what I believe should be final settlement. I dispute the extra forty two dollars based on this, this, and this. Now you're probably going to get a lean on your property. Be expecting it. That's what I would do if I was a contractor. Now that's not the end of the world. Actually, this lean might be exactly what you want because once they file the lean, they have one hundred and twenty days to do something about it, okay, and if they don't act on the lean, it's going to drop off anyway.
Speaker 3: If they do act on it.
Speaker 10: Act on the lean. If they sorry, Tom, if they put a lean on, can I.
Speaker 9: Act on that?
Speaker 3: Well, what do you mean by act on it? What do you mean by that?
Speaker 10: I don't know. Take them to court?
Speaker 3: We don't have to.
Speaker 4: Why would you have to? What would you tell me? How what would you take them to court for? If they haven't gotten anything from you yet?
Speaker 3: Okay, So they put a lean. A lien says you owe me this money. That's what it says.
Speaker 4: So now once you get that lean, you sit there and if it goes past one hundred and twenty days, then you do a quiet title action and have it removed or it drops off.
Speaker 3: You don't have to have it removed. But the bottom line is this, if they decide to go through with it, they have to literally do a foreclosure.
Speaker 4: So here's what they'd have to do. They take you to court and they have to show the validity of the lean. That is your day in court, so you don't have to file anything. So when you go to court, you tell the court why the contractor is not entitled to that debt, and then the contractor shows why they should be entitled to the debt, and then if the court says yes, you.
Speaker 3: Owe the money, then you pay it. But that's the way I would handle it.
Speaker 4: There's no reason going crazy over this because.
Speaker 3: They may never file a lean. That's what I would do.
Speaker 4: I'm Tom Martino. Three oh three seven to one, three eight, two five five. If you have additional questions, specific new questions, you can hang on.
Speaker 3: Otherwise we have more coming up.
Speaker 4: Three oh three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five. All right, let's continue our discussion. And Andrew, did Andrew have another question or not? Did he hang up?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 10: One one final question, Yes.
Speaker 3: Sir Andrew.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 10: So there's some issues with the build I have, like, for example, concrete that's sloping into the garage, and they're saying that they those are warranty items and until the final payment is made, they're not going to address those quote warranty items.
Speaker 8: Also some issues with yeah, Mike.
Speaker 4: And they're not and they're not going to and you're not going to get them too because you have this dispute.
Speaker 3: Listen, Okay, this does the contract call for arbage?
Speaker 4: Do you know.
Speaker 9: I read through it. It does not.
Speaker 4: Okay, you're going to have to get this settled one way or another, and then once you make your final payment, then they'll do the warranty issues. But here's the deal, bro you you know, I don't know what your record keeping is like, and they may be able to see or show that they spent more money on your project and that it was an overage. You're saying it wasn't an overage. The problem you're going to have on whether or not it was an overage. The problem you will have is showing that because there were no line item pricing, and they can simply say, well, yeah, yes we set exterior stone, but.
Speaker 3: He went over on the allowance.
Speaker 4: And then they're going to take us some document and show where they allotted for a certain amount that came to a total and you.
Speaker 3: Went over it. Just be prepared. Mark how many times?
Speaker 4: Mark how many times did we think a homeowner had a slam dunk case against a builder and the builders take them to the cleaners.
Speaker 12: Well, the worst one was the lady that lost her house with the roofer, and that was the worst roofing job I've ever seen. There was literally parts of the roof where there was no under not only underlayment, but no wood. I mean like literally no wood.
Speaker 3: Just they totally, they totally just outmaneuvered her legally. They just ruined her life. And she was in the right.
Speaker 4: That construction company was the worst construction company I've ever run into, and they were out now just.
Speaker 3: They were just terrible. They were terrible, and they knew.
Speaker 4: They didn't have a case, but they didn't need a case. They did not need a case because she sued them and had no idea what.
Speaker 3: She was doing, zero idea.
Speaker 4: She didn't know how to introduce evidence, she didn't know how to use evidence, she didn't know how to make an argument.
Speaker 3: She literally went to court representing herself. You remember that, Oh yeah, and she lost one.
Speaker 12: That's when I got accused of practicing law without a license.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: What Mark was doing is standing there and we said, Mark, you ought to witness this and report back to us, And that's what he was doing. He was sitting there with her, and then he was calling the show reporting the lawsuit on how terrible.
Speaker 12: It was that judge when he found out that during the lunch break, I was out there live on the radio talking about it.
Speaker 3: O m G. Yeah, you had every right to do it.
Speaker 11: Yeah, what did the judge say?
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, the judge said, you know, and and we said to the judge, what are we doing wrong? Yeah, we're not doing anything wrong. Well, we wrote a response. The judge said something crazy. We wrote a response and never it never went anywhere.
Speaker 12: No, it didn't go anywhere. But it was a nightmare. But the bottom line is, if you don't know what you're doing, I'll tell you where she messed up. She we had some of the best witnesses around, but she had no idea how to enter in, what to do. To actually use someone as an expert witness. You can't just call them that day.
Speaker 4: You've got to qualify them and you have to let them know you have witnesses. She did everything wrong. So now we were talking about liens. You know, it's not all risk free on the business side either. A business has to be pretty judicious and caring when they do a lean, meaning they can't just arbitrarily put a lien on a house, or they can get in trouble, so they have to pretty much know that they're owed this extra money. Otherwise there are consequences. Deputy d looked up some of the consequences of the lean laws, so let's talk about those consequences.
Speaker 19: D Well, Tom my favorite one, and by the way, my source is Hollington Law Firm, which is owned by Neil Hollington down there at Parker's.
Speaker 3: Good guy, a good guy, and this is all he does. He does construction defect his law.
Speaker 4: His website is Hollington Law Firm dot com go ahead.
Speaker 11: And he offers free initial consultations.
Speaker 19: By the way, was very but anyway, one of the things he mentions on his website is that if the contractor files an excessive lian to gain leverage over the consumer, there actually could be held responsible for the consumer's attorney's fees and costs. So there are terrible consequences to some of these contractors that I know who have filed excessive liens or you know, extraordinarily expensive liens just to scare the homeowner.
Speaker 3: So what happens when you go to court with those.
Speaker 4: Lanes, Well, the excessive ones, yeah, the excess the ones you believe are accessive you have to show their excess, So.
Speaker 19: You have to prove that they're excessive, and then you may be able to get your attorney fees. And he even cites the actual Corrido Statute that provides for the for your own attorney fees.
Speaker 4: What do you think would be considered excessive though, Like if it's just if you just disagree with the with the amount or what like in this in this case, the guy says there's forty two hundred dollars for stone, and what if forty two hundred? What if there was a stone cost that he already paid and then they uped at forty two hundred, would that be excessive?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 11: I don't think excessive refers to overpricing.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 19: For example, if Andrew's conflict with the contractor is over forty two hundred dollars, and they admit in writing to him that it's over forty two hundred dollars, but they file a twenty thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: Okay, scare the all right? Okay?
Speaker 4: So it was just if they believe they're own forty two hundred and they put a lien on for forty two hundred, that's different.
Speaker 3: But if they just do it to be punitive.
Speaker 19: That's exactly right, Okay, try to gain leverage by scaring the guy with a huge lean.
Speaker 3: Okay. What about if there's no basis for the lean whatsoever?
Speaker 19: Well, I think that would be the same thing, right, I mean, that's a let's see here, that would be an valid liens. So an excessively may be teemed invalid by the court of the contractor or lose their right to collect any payment through the lien process.
Speaker 4: Okay, And so what I want to know in a lot a lot of people ask this, and you may not have that answer right in front of you, But.
Speaker 3: If there's an invalid lien, he asked, can I take action on it? And I said, don't bother. Wait till they try to foreclose on the lien. Mark.
Speaker 4: That's always been our recommendation to consumers. Don't do anything, just wait and see what happens. But what if you do want to do something about it?
Speaker 5: I would want to.
Speaker 12: Write because isn't that ryet title action?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's what we always say. What exactly does that mean?
Speaker 5: Though?
Speaker 12: You basically motioned the court to uh pull the lien because it hasn't been perfected.
Speaker 11: Well, this is there's there's another step you can tell ahead.
Speaker 19: Hollington Law describes h called describes the process called the file and notice the contest the lean.
Speaker 3: So you can file of notice, you can test the lean notice.
Speaker 11: Of contest of liens.
Speaker 19: Okay, you can actually start a court action to get a lean remote larritory judgment is what you're looking.
Speaker 3: That's exactly what it's called.
Speaker 5: So you can do that.
Speaker 11: You can also bond around the lian if you wish.
Speaker 5: To avoid Yeah, and but what that is.
Speaker 3: You buy a bond that says we'll pay for this lean if it turns out to be legit. Yeah, and then that allows you your house, that's right. It allows you to sell the house, or it allows you to get a REFI.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 11: So there were all kinds of options.
Speaker 19: And by the way, I would contest this lien because I don't want this, even if I'm right, I don't want this sort of suffocleae hanging over my house and wondering if somebody's going to start foreclosure.
Speaker 5: In the next six months.
Speaker 4: I remember one time I had a cabinet delivered to my home six hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: It was a vanity. It was on a new construction I was doing.
Speaker 4: I had paid the contractor, but the contractor was such a bad contract that they were so crooked.
Speaker 3: Back then it was called Adam's Construction. Anyway, I paid him, he didn't pay.
Speaker 4: I told them I refused to pay because under the law, it was my primary residence. I had the contract in writing, I had proof of payment. They put a lien on my house anyway for how much? For six hundred because they said that basically it might have been like some attorney's fees on there, like eight hundredson. But I could show that according to the lean protection laws of Colorado, I had followed everything. I had had a written contract with the contractor, proof of payment, and it was my primary residence. They didn't care. They went ahead and did it anyway. This was the supply house. So my attorney writes a letter saying, you know, we're going to do something, and I forget what they threatened to do. But they removed the lien immediately because it was a frivolous lian. So anyway, liens are very complicated, you know, they really are. They can scare the hell out of you. You think what's going on, don't overreact to a lien. A lien is a claim. It's not a proof of a claim. It's just a claim of a claim. Proof of a claim comes when they try to perfect the lian. Don And as you, yes, sir, in my time.
Speaker 14: I must have filed seventy five to one hundred mechanics.
Speaker 3: Lians for your HVAC business, and I've.
Speaker 13: Only collected on maybe two of them.
Speaker 14: I mean because normally a contractor, if we do a job for like five hundred or a couple of grand and we don't get paid, we put the lien on. We're just hoping that people will use it, use the thread of the lean to pass. But we've never wanted to perfect the lien because if you perfect it, you have to take the take, put the limit foreclosure, and it costs like ten fifteen thousand dollars in legal fees. So we've never we've never been able to collect on a lien.
Speaker 3: So I'm going to tell you.
Speaker 4: I'm going to tell you a really funny story about a woman who did window coverings on a DTC office building.
Speaker 3: Coming up on the Troubleshooter Show.
Speaker 4: Hi Tom Martino here at three zero three seven one three talk seven one three, eight, two, five five. Welcome to the show, and thank you for being here.
Speaker 3: Okay, so let me just get right to the to the topic at hand.
Speaker 8: Here we are.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, I just got away from it, all right. So what we've been talking about are leans and lean releases. A contracts, contract allowance items, contract expenses. And remember, the safest way to do a contract with home improvement is, as I said, what you do or any kind of home construction a guaranteed not to exceed price line item guaranteed not to exceed. So uh you you don't do an allowance, and you don't do just a straight expense, but a guaranteed.
Speaker 3: Not to exceed.
Speaker 4: Now, let me tell you about the window covering lady. This woman did window coverings for an office building. I forget what kind of window covering. It wasn't like normal curtains is up with some window covering. She had a small firm, but she took on this job, did a pretty damn good job and did some some of these modern shades or whatever. This was years ago, had to be more than maybe about twenty years ago, so she couldn't get paid. The bill was around six grand and she couldn't get paid, and they were just basically shirks. The general contractor was a jerk. Even the owner of the building was a jerk. It wasn't one of these giant high rises, but it was a pretty good sized building, and they just I don't know if they just thought they were going to get away with it. But back in the day, when construction was hot and heavy, people that needed to be paid would this is what they would do to them. They would have them come in and say, look, we dispute this bill, and then they'd make them an offering. And people were so hurting for money because they had to get to the next job, the loss of opportunity.
Speaker 3: That they would make settlements.
Speaker 4: So I knew one guy that had this construction company and he'd bring his subs in. They'd line up on a Friday at the end of the month and he'd be saying, let's see sixty five hundred, here's four grand.
Speaker 3: And that was just cruel.
Speaker 4: Now, this company wasn't that bad, but they definitely made it hard for people to collect.
Speaker 3: So I said to this woman, here's what you do. Put a lien on the property.
Speaker 4: But after you put a lien on the property, I want you to actually perfect the lean. Now this was before the current law, but you could still perfect a lean. What it involved was a for sure. Now here is a big giant for a big giant office building, not the biggest, and you had a woman I think was old, like sixty five hundred.
Speaker 3: So she starts going through this.
Speaker 4: And they couldn't believe it, so they didn't even answer her at first until she actually.
Speaker 3: Got a sale date.
Speaker 4: This office building, even for a sixty five hundred little tiny lean, was going to be put up for sale.
Speaker 3: And it was a public auction.
Speaker 4: Now she could bid was she is owed, plus her attorney's fees and expenses. She could bid more than that if she wanted to, but if she wanted to make sure she was going to get paid, she would bid that.
Speaker 3: Whoever came in and bid more. The way it would work is they'd have.
Speaker 4: To pay her, then they'd have to pay any underlying encumbrances, but they're allowed to bid as well. So these people were brought to their knees over a woman with basically subcontracted out everything, who was really just trying to make a living and wanted to get paid sixty five hundred dollars but my god.
Speaker 3: Were they upset. They huffed and puffed, you can't do that, blah blah blah. But there was nothing they could do about it. Nothing they could do about it. They couldn't do a quiet title action because it was a real bill. I mean, they could, but what are they going to say it wasn't real. She had receipts for the.
Speaker 4: Window coverings her Her record keeping wasn't found impeccable, so she had receipts for what she bought. She had receipts for her subs for everything that cost her to do these window coverings, so she could easily justify plus her profit sixty five hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: But think about that.
Speaker 4: Think about this big company coming to its knees over a woman who is just working her ass off, trying to make a living, and.
Speaker 3: They're thinking, who the hell is she? And they weren't going to pay.
Speaker 4: But you see, that's the power you have when you're truly owed money, You truly have that power. You can sell the damn house or building or property. So that's why when I tell people go to small claims court or put a lien on something, because even small claims court, if you get a judgment in small claims court. You can file a lien on someone's house with that judgment. You can go after people everything they own with that judgment. So it's not the getting of the judgment or filing of the.
Speaker 3: Lean, it is going forward with it.
Speaker 4: In fact, there was a time I considered, maybe I should should buy some of these liens.
Speaker 3: Okay, buy them.
Speaker 4: So you give the woman sixty five rand excuse me, sixty five hundred, or maybe you make a settlement six thousand, and you say, look.
Speaker 3: I'll buy the rights to this. You can buy the rights to the lean and go after the company. You know it could be a viable business. Peep.
Speaker 4: The small contractor gets paid immediately, and then you take on the responsibility to take them to court.
Speaker 3: So you buy it for a.
Speaker 4: Discount and you sue them three oh three seven to one three talk seven one three eight two five five. But that's the story of David and Goliath and how you can make one little lean payoff big time more. Right after this, Hi, Tom Martino, you're a troubleshooter.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: So we've talked about construction contracts, and something else I neglected to talk about were types of contracts in general, So there are a number of different types of contracts you can enter into when it comes to home construction, repair or big renovation projects. One is easy to understand. It's a lump sum contract. No matter what, it's a lump sum. They will do the job for this price. They don't have to line item anything. If you're happy with the price, you sign it, but you have to make sure the contractor is able to do it, because remember they go out of business and can't fulfill it, then you're out. Okay, So you pay a good amount of money toward the lump sum and then they can't finish it. That money you paid, you know, you still have to pay more to finish it. It might take way more than the lump sum called for. The other one is plus contracts, where they take the cost of everything, but you have to make sure they account for it properly and then add a percentage. Then you have unit price contracts where each unit they complete is paid by a certain amount. Anyway, you've heard the Troubleshooter show and you got smarter for it. I hope we got more coming up tomorrow. Remember call three zero three Martino for help, information and referrals.
Speaker 2: Follow Tom Martino at Real Tom Martino, and stay.
Speaker 3: Connected with all of us at six thirty k kyhow dot com and on the iHeartRadio app. This is Denver's talk station, six thirty k House