Speaker 1: The story of Lars mitting is one that's baffled investigators for years. The last time he was ever seen, he was caught on camera, but instead of this helping, it only added confusion to his story. Since then, Lars has gone on to become the Internet's most famous missing person, as the security camera that caught his last known whereabouts was in an airport and received several million views on YouTube due to the strange events that it witnessed.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben and I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim, a true crime podcast.
Speaker 1: Warning the following podcasts and material for a mature audience listener. Hey, that was a good open.
Speaker 2: That actually was That was me?
Speaker 1: That was you? Okay, Well, now here's me. Can I do better? I feel like there's pressure on now?
Speaker 2: You always do better.
Speaker 1: Yours was more satisfying. Man was a little bit too quick. It was a little premature.
Speaker 2: That's so bad. I'm actually drinking a what is this? It's a semi sweet apple cider. It's still less nice.
Speaker 1: I'm drinking some steamworks from Vancouver. So do me a favor. Turn your head and look outside. See those yellow leaves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we don't want to talk about it.
Speaker 1: Oh, we do have to talk about it. Yeah, fall is on its way, It really is. It is. I don't know if you guys like where you're listening from or whatever. If you can look outside and see yellow leaves right now, it's starting here. It's not on our trees yet, but the underbrush, Yeah, like the little willows and bushes and stuff, they're starting to turn a little yellow.
Speaker 2: Well, I went on a paddleboard excursion thing adventure today, adventure like it was wild and yeah, it felt like full it literally because it was kind of cold, like it was maybe what like eighteen degrees today celsius and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, make sure you say celsius.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it felt like if we commented it out, it felt like it was full.
Speaker 1: Yeah. While you were out paddle boarding doing an epicate adventure, guess what I was doing working. I was doing a little bit of research, not only to finish off this episode, but I was looking looking at some other true crime cases that I want to cover in the future.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: And I went down this rabbit hole on the murderer in history who has the highest to kill count ever?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: And I found them, And I'm not saying who I'm not saying numbers. All I'm saying is I found them and we are doing that case soon and the number is absurd.
Speaker 2: Shoot, I feel like we have we talked about this before.
Speaker 1: We've talked about some with some high numbers, and most of them are suspected high numbers. Okay, this one is apparently recorded as such.
Speaker 2: Okay, well we're gonna talk about this later.
Speaker 1: No, No, you ain't getting nothing.
Speaker 2: I need some more deep.
Speaker 1: No, but I'll give you guys a brief hint at the number. It's over five hundred. That's all I'm going to say. I'm not going to say how much over five hundred because I'm leaving it open here.
Speaker 2: Come on, I need a little bit more. No, Nope, when off.
Speaker 1: Nope, Nope, Nope, nope, nope. You get nothing maybe our patrons, but not you. Wow.
Speaker 2: Wow, Wow, that's how it is.
Speaker 1: That's how it is. Speaking of patrons, we got to thank some patrons.
Speaker 2: Thank we sure do.
Speaker 1: So signing up this week over on Patreon. We have Megan Dunn, we have Courtney Burkett, we have Ashley Leigh, Chelsea and Stella Rose. They all get that epic behind the scenes content. Get to talk to us a little bit. They're actually going to be naming some of our new chickens for US polls and stuff. Official naming is going to be happening tomorrow, so if you really want to get on, you know, on it, pay attention to that. There's been some suggestions put up so far, but it's officially happening tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Well. Yeah, the fact that we've had these new little chickens for over a week and they are nameless.
Speaker 1: Well, you've been gone for weeks on vacation, so I had to like wait for you to get home. Yeah. But anyways, thank you so much for our patrons. Thank you guys for being here and just listening to the show. We really appreciate that. With all of that out of the way, do you want to get in to today's episode?
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: Okay, does the name Lars mid Tank mean anything to you?
Speaker 2: Slightly? And I know we have chatted about this, but I recall zero information at the moment, okay, And I'm sure a little bit will come back to me.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, Well this is over over across the ponds, so if I do apologize about mispronouncing names, it's probably going to happen in this episode, but I will be doing my best. So to start off with Lars's name, it is Lars. I know that.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: His last name is mid Tank. I know that. However, his middle name, I believe it's Lars. Joke him Midtank I think joke him is how you say it. Joke him, joke him. I'm not sure, but there's gonna be some names things like that that I'm going to do my best to get this pronunciation right.
Speaker 2: You always do your best.
Speaker 1: We always do our best here, we always do. Anyways, his life began on the ninth of February in nineteen eighty, so he was only two years our senior. So within the vibrant city of Berlin, Germany is where he was born. In Germany, Yep, you bet you so. His roots, however, took hold in it so a town nestled in schlitzwig Holstein in the slitzwig Holstein region, and this is where he spent the entirety of his formative his formative years. Growing up, he established connections, cultivated relationships, and formed a foundation for his life story. Within this whole area, Lars even found himself employed at a local power plant, making some pretty decent money. He also began dating a beautiful woman and they were looking at their future together as their bond continued to grow and grow and grow stronger. So he he was doing pretty good for himself in his younger age, as he was beginning to actually get into the world and you know, be an adult.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and actually it sounds like that very much.
Speaker 1: So being an adult isn't easy, which I'm sure we can all attest to. So, yeah, he's doing good. He's doing good.
Speaker 2: It definitely has its moments.
Speaker 1: Hey, you petcha. So Lars was devoted more than to just his girlfriend, though he was a son who frequently visited his parents nice. He was a very very good kid, particularly after his father had suffered from a stroke. So in the wake of this family ordeal, he extended his assistance, tending to needs that his parents' household might need, you know, maybe doing some lawn work. I don't know exactly the extent of his help, but I'm sure some labor around the house or helping take care of his father or something like that would be part of that. So that's what he was doing, lending a hand where he could.
Speaker 2: Wow, I already feel like this guy is freaking awesome.
Speaker 1: Lars is a good dude. Yeah, yeah, many people actually really got along with them. To those who actually knew Lars, he was more than just an ordinary individual. He was someone who consistently liked to make others laugh. He was kind of a funny, a happy go lucky type guy. And he was someone who consistently played the role of a peacemaker when conversations, you know, became a little bit tense. He was always one to like step in and try and calm things down and be like, well, guys, it's all good. Like I don't know. Kind of brings me to this old proverb of like I don't know if it's like a proverb, but like a tactic for drinking in bars, which I always memorized but I've never needed to use because I'm not much of a bar drinker. But it's if you ever get in like an altercation with an individual and a bar, okay, for example, say, for example, if I make eye contact with his girlfriend because I simply think she looks familiar to someone who went to elementary school with or something whatever reason, Yeah, he's like, Hey, you're looking at my girlfriend, and all you have to do is just be nice. You don't need to stir up an altercation and offered to buy him a drink.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's that easy.
Speaker 1: I mean it's that easy. I mean instead of being like, yeah, I'm looking at your girl, Can I buy a drink? No, it's been like, oh sorry, I was just dazed. Man, good on you. She's beautiful here. Can I buy you a drink? What's your name?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah. That would turn it around quite a bit, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like, oh, good for you, man, You land yourself a good one. Can I buy you drink? What are you up to?
Speaker 2: What's that?
Speaker 1: What's happening? What's your name? You know that sort of thing. And I think he's kind of the same sort of person who would do that. Is that very much so peacemaker type individual?
Speaker 2: Well? Yeah, I feel like a lot of people wouldn't necessarily do something like that. No, Like, if you were accused of something like that right away, you'd probably just get pissed. I'm not you, per se, but like the majority of people, right.
Speaker 1: No, it's it's better. The old proverb that I was originally actually talking about is it's better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, say that again.
Speaker 1: It's better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 1: Okay, right, so you rather know how to fight and not have to fight, right then not know how to fight and have to fight.
Speaker 2: Jeez, Okay, that's deep. I am like so tired right now that I feel like my brain is processed shit very slowly.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm dropping some bombs on you with information to day.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, okay, so maybe it's.
Speaker 1: Not a well I mean that like you're getting like the oh I see the old Japanese proverb of the gardener and the warriors thing. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I just have to say, you're describing this person quite well, Like I already feel like I know, you know, like I have a picture in my head.
Speaker 1: Well that's good. Yeah, Well to add to it if I may. He had a slender build, slender athletic build. He had short brown hair, a little bit of frosted tips, and his nice deep brown eyes to go with it. Lars was also a very devoted football or soccer for North American individuals. He was a very devoted football fan and his favorite team was the Worden Bremen team. Okay, So, as Lars was living his life and devoting a lot of his time to spend with others, the calendar eventually would roll into June of twenty fourteen, and this is when Lars is at the age of twenty eight. Lars would embark in a journey to varn Bulgaria, accompanied by four of his closest friends. It was a vacation for some downtime and for Lars to just kind of relax and focus on himself a little bit more. He's, you know, living a life, working hard, helping take care of his parents and building a relationship with his girlfriend. Just kind of some alone downtime, hang out with the boys kind of situation. So the week long escapade was destined for the Viva Club hotel within the scenic embrace of the Golden Sands Resorts, which is oh oh Sands.
Speaker 2: Oh I was thinking Sandals, Sorry.
Speaker 1: No Golden Sands Resort. This was positioned approximately seventeen kilometers north of the bustling heart of Varnaka. Now the Golden Sands, not Sandals or anything like that. It's said to have rivaled that of the Abiza and it was apparently captivating a lot of European tourists for like the whole like sunsets, the sunkiss days, the beaches, the shores, and to top it all off, a lot of really.
Speaker 2: Cheap okay, yeah sounds lovely, definitely.
Speaker 1: So Lars and his friends made their way there and they're having the time of their lives and making memories for years to come. Their days were filled with, of course, shenanigans, relaxation, and even football, as the World Cup semi finals were currently taking place and they were being played across the screens of all the local bars and pubs in the area. So the beginning of their vacation spanned for the first five days and unfolded relatively uneventful. It was just some good moments, just fun, just relaxing, just vacation now. One of Lars's friends, Paul roman recollected to quote him directly, the week went by really fast, kind of like a blink and you miss it sort of. Yeah, when you're having fun, that tends to happen.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's the shitty thing about vacations is you work. Your work week will drag on by your vacation week or whatever.
Speaker 1: Just gone or flash exactly so, and it was the same situation here. They're just having fun and it's going by so fast you need to stop and kind of take it in to really enjoy it. Now, however, there was a pivotal shift in their vacation that occurred on the fifth of July. So on this day, Lars found himself in a bit of a disagreement with some fellow German tourists and fellow football fans. Oh Now, as I mentioned, Lars was a supporter of the Werner Brennan team, while these other individuals were fans of the Brayer Munich team, and they didn't seem to find it too funny when Lars made light of rivalries and was changing around team flags and some of the tables in the bar.
Speaker 2: Oh so he was just like, probably had a few too many drinks and just kind of playing around having fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Then these people weren't into that.
Speaker 1: No, they weren't having it. And I mean, football fans are known worldwide to be a little bit much at times. There's riots that breakout and stuff like that. So not necessarily that they all are, but tensions tend to get high regarding football.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So the group that you know was the Brayern Munich fans voiced their opinions and aggravation on this practical joke that Lars had just played, and things quickly escalated into a full on verbal altercation between them and Lars and his group of friends. Okay, so emotions were flaring, tempers were high, and after the heated argument had passed, they were all left with a rather thick tension lingering in the air, which I don't think would make for the greatest of drinking atmospheres. Probably not, No, especially in vacation.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, and you had said that Lars is kind of a peace keeper, right, Yes, so I can't imagine this is settling very well with him.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think so. I think he, in this heated argument, was probably trying to like guys, it's just a joke sort of thing, but I don't think they were having any of it by the sounds of it. So Lars and his group of friends collectively decided that it was time for them to leave the bar and they were going to head somewhere else to grab a bite to eat before heading back to the hotel for the night. Now their chosen destination was the same choice of any other drunken mid twenties individual. McDonald's.
Speaker 2: Okay, I went to fast food, but I was like, is it fast food?
Speaker 1: Yeah? They chose to go to McDonald's.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: Lars, however, he wasn't too hungry at this time. Maybe he was distraughted by you know, the thought of the altercation or whatever. But he wasn't going to get anything, so he decided to wait outside the restaurant while his friends went inside to order their food. So they did just that. They went inside, they got the food, came back out, and Lars was nowhere to be found. Just gone, just gone. Now they were a little perplexed, to say the least, but they weren't immediately alarmed. I mean, after all, he's he was getting tired too, just like they were. Maybe he didn't want to wait, and he just kind of wandered back to the hotel, right like, they'll head there, Nah, they'll meet him there and that's that.
Speaker 2: But still that does seem a bit odd, right, like they were hanging out the whole trip together, and then how long does it really take to be getting your McDonald's.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, exactly, it's odd for sure, but like, well, what do you do? Right, he probably just headed back to the hotel, So they made their way back to the hotel too, and once they arrived there at the room, Lars was not there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking.
Speaker 1: So they were quite concerned. But again, what do they do. It's not like you can report a missing He's an adult, he's been out drinking. He's probably just wandering around having fun. Maybe he ran into someone and just got pulled off to a bar for another drink. Or maybe he saw on a TV another soccer game or football, sorry, football game. Who knows. There's a million different reasons that he could be off doing something else.
Speaker 2: Well, I feel like I would be going back to the McDonald's though, because I'd kind of be like, oh, shoot, like we left our friend there, like he's probably went off somewhere but then came back and now we're not there, and well.
Speaker 1: I think they're kind of expecting him to show up at the hotel any moment sort of thing.
Speaker 2: Oh, they're just kind of waiting around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're kind of like, well, he's going to show up pretty quick, and he's probably going to show up with some sort of story explaining what happened, right, and that's exactly what did occur.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, good.
Speaker 1: Lars not too long later returned back at the hotel and he had exactly that a story to tell on what happened. So his account detailed another altercation geez, what's up with this with four individuals who Lars said were either Bulgarian or Russian, and they attacked him when he was alone, leaving him to adore the assault and run for his life.
Speaker 2: Oh geez.
Speaker 1: So, as he recounted the incident to his friends, Lars told them he suspected a link between this attack and the altercation they had earlier at the Barbee with the group of German tourists. In fact, Lars was convinced that those guys had actually hired these four guys to follow him and assault him. Okay, so that's what he thought was going on.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, it does seem pretty weird that there would be two altercations like this in one night.
Speaker 1: It does, for sure, So that's kind of what he's thinking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And because I'm also kind of assuming that Lars does not have these kind of alter altercations regularly, right.
Speaker 1: No, not as far as I could tell. No, definitely not. And I mean his friends were quite worried about the situation too, Like, he clearly he got beat up a bit here. He's not like busted up lip or anything like that, but he's you know, he's been tossed around, you could tell that, right. So, despite of this the gravity of this story that he was telling, his friends were a little bit skeptical. Not against the assault, as I mentioned, but the idea that someone would be hired specifically to target him, especially when they're off on vacation over a simple altercation that they had in the bar earlier that night. It's kind of a bit of a far fetched stretch, really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like had gone too far.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, nonetheless, whether they believed him or not, they were just relieved that he was back and he's now safe. So now, as for the attack, Lars was left a little bit injured. He complained of discomfort in his ear from a hit that he took to the side of the head, and he was actually struggling to hear from that ear as well. So it was obvious he needed to do what go see a doctor, right, so he did that. He went and got checked out. It was two days later when he went and got checked out. The diagnosis was a ruptured ear drum and an injury to his jaw.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, Okay, that's like that seems like a little bit much.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it was like he got hit right on the ear and that ear That air pressure can actually go in and rupture an ear drum rather easy. They're pretty weak. So if you get hit just right, Yeah, it can blow out your ear drum.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. I don't even know exactly what that means. But okay, like I don't know how that how you would heal from that or anything.
Speaker 1: I'm not too sure the healing process either. I'm sure it depends on how badly it's ruptured.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I feel like maybe it's sounding something like that sounds worse than it actually is, But I have no idea. Now I want to google it.
Speaker 1: Well, you'll do some googling after I will. Yeah, so the doctor did tell Lars, you know, with your ruptured ear drum, you can't be flying anywhere as the altitude and pressure change could cause or further harm to the ear drum and potentially cause irreversible damage.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yes, as soon as you said that, I was like, how on earth is like he gonna fly? It did pop in my head here, yeah, because and then I was like, oh did they fly there? They did fly there?
Speaker 1: They did fly Wow, And he can't be flying home right now. Shit, So of course there is a significant problem. How is he going to get home? Their flight is scheduled for the next day because they're there for a week, So it was five days in when they got attacked, and now it's been two days, so the next day is when they leave. So the doctor did also prescribe an antibiotic called CEF brazil five hundred milligrams was prescribed to him to combat any potential infection and that's what this is, specifically for any sort of potential infection that could occur in the ear drum while healing. So take this, it'll help prevent that. He also advised that Lars go to the hospital and seek surgery, surgery for the ear drum as well.
Speaker 2: Shit.
Speaker 1: So Lars now stood at the crossroads of a critical decision. Now, first and foremost, he knew right away he wasn't going to go seek surgery, but should he risk flying home with this injury? That's the second question. In solidarity. His friends right away offered to stay behind with him, but Lars refused. He didn't want to trouble them. He didn't want to make them stay behind or anything. He decided he's going to stay behind himself before he flies home, so heel up a little bit and fly home.
Speaker 2: Do we know how long that he was supposed to wait? Had it said that?
Speaker 1: Well, I think it varies depending how he was healing, depending on how he was healing, depending on the severity of the injury. By the sounds of it, it's only a few days wait, is what would have been expected. Because where they are located, and by country, we're not talking like Canada North America where it's like crazy distances you have to go. No, it's like he could also just bust there right Okay, so that's another option, but we will be talking about that a little bit later. But anyways, Lars decided he's going to stay here alone, heel up before he flies home. So with all this seasonal tourism that was going on at the time, the task of securing last minute accommodations wasn't exactly easy, especially somewhere close to where he was already familiarized with by the nice you know hotels and all these accommodations. It was, you know, not fun, especially when you consider it's extra costs on top of what.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean the idea of like extending your vacations seems kind of awesome, but then I'll lot of times at the end, at the end of your vacation kind of want to just get home. Yeah, and then you don't have stuff pre booked, and budgets are really part of it disaster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that's kind of what it was for him. He was forced to kind of go somewhere where he wasn't familiar with because he hasn't been around over in this area. He's spending it all the time over here sort of thing, so low on budget in an unknown area, he was actually forced to look at cheaper and unfamiliar alternatives basically, and it would be the hotel Color where Lars would book his new room at. And this area which the hotel was located was a little more run down and rough around the edges. You can say, okay, but he could book it, you could afford it. It would have to do. So the first night solo in his hotel is where things begin to go downhill for Lars. At ten thirty pm, he got on the phone with his mother, Sandra Mittank. Now, he seemed very shook and very nervous when he was talking to her, and he asked her if she could cancel his credit and debit card for him because he believed they were copied when he checked into his hotel, and then he promptly hung up.
Speaker 2: Oh geez, Okay, that's an alarming call for a parent.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 1: So throughout the night there was multiple phone calls back and forth between them, and Sandra spoke on the phone with her sons several times. She described the conversations as very odd, as her son seemed extremely worried and was paranoid. He confided in his mom that he believed he was being followed by four men. He would actually even whisper in the phone as he talked to her, as though he thought someone could be listening in to the conversation.
Speaker 2: Oh my.
Speaker 1: Lars also asked his mom about the drug his doctor had prescribed him in a rather concerned fashion. So he's very concerned about this drug that his doctor gave him.
Speaker 2: Huh, you must have to wonder if he got like a concussion or something sort of where my head is going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well, well we will talk theories at the end here, but that is a potential one for sure. Now. Surveillance footage of the hotel from that night shows large Lars, very agitated, pacing restlessly throughout the lobby. He would repeatedly look out the windows over his shoulders and would disappear and reappear again and again from the elevator. At around one am, Lars ventured outside the hotel premise for about an hour, where his whereabouts were completely unaccounted for, before he would return to the hotel. Eventually, though, the sun would rise on the dawn of July eighth, and Lars's paranoia reached a peak. He was in desperate need to get home. His mom, Sandra, managed to secure a flight for him that afternoon, while also ensuring contingency plan in the form of a bus ticket, as I mentioned, because in case he can't fly, because it's only been like barely.
Speaker 2: Passah, hardly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe, I don't know, maybe thirty six hours. I'm going to guess approxy at this point, because I would assume it's probably somewhere in the afternoon when he learned it from the doctor the next day. The whole day has passed hour in the morning, so maybe close to forty I guess. Okay, so about forty hours. So he's got a plane ticket and a bus ticket booked. Now it was set, one way or another, he was going to be coming home and escaping whatever troubles that he seemed to think he was in. Now Lars also requested his mom send him five hundred dollars to his bank account now regardless of the reason that five hundred dollars would remain in his bank account and would be untouched. He then made his way via a taxi ride to the Varna Airport. He shared a cab with a young woman, and during the ride, this young woman noticed that he seemed to be acting very odd and that his eyes were very dilated. Whatever was going on with Lars was clearly getting worse. Airport security campus show Lars arriving and entering the airport carrying a black duffel bag and the distinctive red and black backpack. He pushed through the doors and immediately headed towards the airport medical facility. Doctor Costa cost of was the attending physician and Lars was there to get his ear checked to ensure he could actually fly, make sure it's safe, you know, the whole kitten kaboodle. So doctor Kostev remembers the visit with Lars and his behaviors at the time. He was fidgety, nervous, and seemed to be shaking. His nerves were clearly getting the best of him. Lars was also asking about his previously prescribed medication, voicing concerns and confusion about it.
Speaker 2: You almost have to wonder, h like, this is another I guess theory I'm putting out there. If he's having like some sort of allergic reaction to this medication or something.
Speaker 1: I'm going to let you voice your opinion. Go for it. But I'm not going to talk theory until the end. So if you want to go for it, go for it.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I have to get it out of my brain. So that's that's just something I needed to put out there.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, gotcha. The two talked a bit about the medications and the doctor began taking a look at Lars's ear. Now, luckily for Lars, he received some good news. He was well enough to fly.
Speaker 2: Wow. Okay.
Speaker 1: Upon hearing the news, relief should have rushed over Lars's face, but instead a look of fear was in its place.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: Just then, a construction worker walked into the doctor's office, and at that moment, Lars, and at the moment Lars laid eyes on the man. He panicked. Lars stood up and screamed, quote, I don't want to die here. I have to get out of here, and he bolted out of the doctor's office.
Speaker 2: Hmm. So is it like that he kind of recognized the construction worker maybe, or we don't really know, okay, or you're just not saying right yet. Okay.
Speaker 1: So once he exited the doctor's office, he bolted down the hallway, bolted through the airport, and was seen on security footage running out of the front doors, across the property and highway into a field, over a two meters high fence, then off into the woods.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, this was.
Speaker 1: The last time Lars was ever seen.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. Hey, yes, you almost have to feel like really fucking bad for him, because some shit is going down, you bet you.
Speaker 1: And in his panic, Lars left his backpack, his duffel bag, all of his stuff, all of it, his possessions, identification, passport, all of it was left in the doctor's office.
Speaker 2: Huh wow. Okay, that's like very alarming for family too. Oh you bet you, Like I don't actually think that I could be settled with that. I mean, like he's still missing, which is so right, Yeah, unsettling. I'm like, we do know that, right.
Speaker 1: That's the end of the story. Now we're just into theories. That is the story of Lars. There's a couple more little tweaks at the end here after the theories. I will say that, but that is the basis of the story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just don't think I would ever be able to rest with that, Like that is unreal, yeap, that that happens and then all of a sudden he's just gone. Do we not know if like this construction worker person was recognizable to him? Nope, the construction worker just played dumb kind of thing.
Speaker 1: I mean, as far as we know the construction worker. Because there are some details that we are going to go over in the theories here, Like you talked about an allergic reaction. There is a detail that can go right along with that that we'll talk about. But as far as the construction worker goes, I could find nothing that.
Speaker 2: Would show that they were aware of each other or of each other for all we know.
Speaker 1: Maybe it was paranoia and he just saw this construction worker, and the construction worker is literally just that some random construction worker, and Lars panicked because maybe he thought he recognized him, or thought maybe he was some other like a hitman or something. Who knows.
Speaker 2: Wow, this is bizarre. Okay, let's get into these theories please.
Speaker 1: Okay. Well, there are numerous theories that are circulating around the internet, each offering its own interesting thought and perspective. One prevalent one explores the idea of someone who is after Lars, which raises the question who and why. So it is possible that it stems from the whole bar fights related to football sort of thing. But it's kind of hard to think someone like this would or something like this would happen over something so trivial, right, But then again, as I mentioned, football fans are known be rather intense at times, so who knows.
Speaker 2: They take it very seriously.
Speaker 1: Very seriously, and very personal, especially regarding my team versus your team or that team sort of thing. It's almost religious to a point. Now, an alternate theory proposes that Lars might have delved into more shady circles during his stay at the Hotel Color, which aligns with another theory suggesting that maybe while he was on vacation he was involved with drug smuggling as a mule, And it's a possibility that he might have actually unknowingly taken part in an operation and discovered it while he was already abroad. So it's also possible that Lars was under the influence of these said drugs, leading to his erratic behavior and paranoia.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm confused by that one. So he before he left he was involved in this.
Speaker 1: Well, that's about four different theories, but they all kind of play on each other. So basically, he could have that the Hotel Color and the kind of shady part of town gotten mixed up with some bad people, okay, yeah, Or could have been taken part in drug smuggling as a mule. Or he could have unknowingly been a mule. One of his friends or someone potentially stuffed drugs in his bag and then he found out and was trying to refuse or something and then that got him in trouble. Or maybe he was on certain drugs that caused the paranoia and behaviors. So that's about four different theories that play off each other, but could also be all theories on their own too.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's really interesting.
Speaker 1: Now, among the more plausible theories is one posing that Lar's condition extended beyond mer ruptured ear drum, as you mentioned, a concussion, right, Yeah, so that's what this idea actually talks about. It proposes that he might have experienced a minor concussion or another head injury in a shape or form which accounted for his erratic conduct and heightened paranoia and just all his weird behaviors.
Speaker 2: I feel like that makes a lot of sense to me.
Speaker 1: It does, actually, and it could explain the dilated pupils and disorientation.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Now, counter to this, his family confirmed that he had no prior mental health issues, further deepening the mystery surrounding the whole disappearance and behaviors. But a concussion is certainly not off the table.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, because if he didn't get like tested for it or tested properly when he went in and they just kind of figured out it's just like the ear drum, but there really was something else going on, it would almost explain all of this, really, I mean, it doesn't necessarily explain where the heck he is at this moment in time or what happened to him after that footage, but the paranoia and just like not seeming like himself and stuff.
Speaker 1: It could if you consider that maybe amnesia was another factor.
Speaker 2: Okay, what do you mean by loss of memory? Okay?
Speaker 1: Is where he is?
Speaker 2: Shit? Yeah? But and then I guess too, he could have just like even succumbed to his inies or something. But then you think that his body would have been.
Speaker 1: Found hard to say.
Speaker 2: Huh, Okay, that one is sticking with me here.
Speaker 1: So all these theories do remain subjects of debate among a lot of experts and family members and of course internet sleuths. Right though, his mother, along with the Bulgarian, German and medical professionals, have considered the possibility that his odd behavior might have stemmed from an uncommon side effect from the antibiotic he was prescribed, which is called CEF Brazil. Now, there is one problem with this. The catch is that doctor Costoff contradicts this hypothesis by revealing that Lars when he came into the hospital the airport hospital to see him and was questioning him about it. Yeah, he had the prescription slip. He did not fill the prescription. He never took any of that medication.
Speaker 2: Oh seriously, seriously.
Speaker 1: He did not fill his prescription, according to the doctor. Oh so, theoretically, unless it was something illegal, he was not on any drugs or substances.
Speaker 2: Huh, unless it was a really weird error where he maybe got the prescription but then they didn't actually take the like the piece of paper.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe maybe there was more to it. Maybe he talked to him and he confirmed that he wasn't on the medication. But the doctor stands by and says he did not fill that prescription.
Speaker 2: Huh. Okay, Can I just point out too how smart I am and that two of these theories I have already came up with during the podcast. I'm just like gonna pat myself on the back.
Speaker 1: Good job. Yeah, you better patch yourself hard enough that everybody can hear it. Right now, There you go, that was a good pat. So, despite the extensive efforts by police, Lars Midank's fate remains completely unknown. His mother, Sandra Uh, did all she could help her son. Shanelisted services of a private investigator, one named Andreas gutig So. Andreas explored hospital records in his search to try and find unidentified patients who might match Large's descriptions.
Speaker 2: If he doesn't remember who the fuck he is and he has no identification exactly, oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: But it yielded no results.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, that is very unsettling. Okay, he left all the doctor's office, so awful. Yeah, his poor, poor mother, Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: So if he doesn't know who he is, there is no way of him finding.
Speaker 2: Out right, and it's just like kind of in hope that he gets recognized or something. But like he's in a for like a country that he's not from.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Like if this happened to you when you were like in your home city or whatever, you.
Speaker 1: Know, but even still depending on the population of your city. In our city's one thing, but if you go to like Toronto or Vancouver or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was more so thinking our city.
Speaker 1: But yeah, big cities is a little different. Yeah, so it's wild.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I am like, yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, you also did touch on the idea on his survival rate. Now, he did have a background in actor activities like hunting and fishing, but survival of the harsh summer conditions, compounded by limited access to food, made his survival rate rather slim. His mom does still hold on to hope, though, believing that maybe he is just suffering with memory loss and that that's the only reason why he hasn't come home yet.
Speaker 2: But this was twenty fourteen, Hey you bet you so, nine years ago?
Speaker 1: Jeez. Now. There have been numerous alleged sightings of Lars in various countries that have emerged. None, however, have turned up anything. A notable sighting was in twenty fifteen and involved a German truck driver offering a lift to a hitchhiker. The hitchhiker apparently bore a resemblance to a little bit of a more weathered Lars, sporting long hair and a beard, appearing fatigued and with prominent cheekbones. The driver reported it weeks after the encounter, and he reported it weeks after only because he had learned of Lars's case after picking up the hitchhiker, and once he figured out the case and saw the resemblance, then reported it.
Speaker 2: Oh so, it's like if only he had known of this case before.
Speaker 1: Hey, you bet you so he picked up this individual in Dresden and took them to Schlidoh in, I'm really going to butcher this pronunciation Brandenburg and Brandenburg's over Havel County just north of Berlin. Good work, but nothing has come out of that sighting or any others since.
Speaker 2: Wow, I I this one has gotten me here. Holy.
Speaker 1: So mom, Lars's mom still holds onto hope. She continues to post on social media about her missing son and puts flyers up when she can. She knows the chances of him being found, let alone alive, are slim, but still holds out hope that he will be found and can return home.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean also like hopefully those posters and stuff that she's putting up has him looking like you had referred to it, more weathered or whatever. Right, I'm sure that's like.
Speaker 1: Putting up probably both actual photos of him and then maybe pause at sketches or something.
Speaker 2: They potentially actually look like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So for everyone's information out there, especially if you are in the area. Lars Jokim Mittank was last seen wearing a yellow T shirt, blue jean shorts, and white shoes. He stands about one hundred and eighty centimeters or five foot nine tall, and weighed around eighty five kilograms or one hundred and eighty five to one hundred and eighty seven pounds. He could be injured, disoriented, or have memory loss. He has brown eyes and a scar on his left forearm. If you have any information on Lars, you are urged to call authorities in Germany at four nine one five seven seven eight three zero zero eight nine six. You can also send an email to findet underscore Lars at web dot d that's fi n d e T underscore l A r s at w e B dot d E. And that is the story of Lars Midtank.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: So that being said, you need to watch the security footage.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm like, I don't know if I can like process anything more this. I don't know. Oh my goodness, this story is unbelievable to me, the fact that like his poor mom, I can't I just can't stop thinking about that. Could you imagine someone the story that someone like your son or like loved one literally just runs off and disappears and like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nothing, and it's it's so haunting if you watch the actual sign.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I even want to.
Speaker 1: So the security the clip here is fifty five seconds long. In between him entering and exiting the airport, it was approximately forty five minutes that he was in the doctor's office for So just heads up on that.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So that shows him walking in with the yellow T shirt and his two bags. Okay, so just watch and we'll leave a link down below so you guys can watch this video as well. If you haven't checked it out just yet, we urge you too. It's like I said, haunting, Oh my gosh, that is a man running for his life.
Speaker 2: Honestly, that one shot there didn't he didn't seem like he looked all that panicked. Really, you don't think so, I don't know, gosh, this is hard to tell. Some footage, some footage it kind of seems like he does, but then others it seems like he just is kind of like going for a stroll like that. He's not really in a super panic.
Speaker 1: Okay, I disagree with you there. I got to take a look again then, Okay, you see, because it looked to me like, no, he's just bold.
Speaker 2: It didn't seem like he was full out running like as fast as he could or anything. He's not looking behind him or anything.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, he ain't looking back, He's just gone.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I feel like if I was afraid for my life though, i'd be looking back. But maybe that's just me.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think what you're watching is Oh, I guess once he exits the building, he looks a little more casual for sure. Yeah, but inside the building he's definitely he's sprinting through the building. But outside yet yeah, right, it's more.
Speaker 2: Of a Inside the building he did seem like he was a bit more shook, but then outside it didn't seem like it as much.
Speaker 1: But then also, if he's not in a like, if he wasn't panicked, why would he go out across the highway into a field fence, into the woods.
Speaker 2: Without any of his shit? I don't know that That didn't help me in any way with thinking this story is really fucked, Like I have no other words just to describe this. Wow, I would love, love love for him to be found.
Speaker 1: Oh definitely. Yeah. And the internet has gone over every frame of that footage, every ounce of his story, you name it. He is, as I mentioned, he's the most famous missing person.
Speaker 2: So do you actually think that his face and his name and everything is really all that. Like it's a big like most people are aware of it.
Speaker 1: Most people are aware of the man who went missing and ran from the airport. Most people know that his name or his story appearance, but like they know the clip. They know that, but maybe, like Alisa Lamb, her name and stories a little more prevalent. I think, Yeah, but that clip is easily the most famous as far as missing people go.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, but then how many people I mean, if they were walking past this person on the street or seeing them in person, would they be able to tell or would it clue in their brain that, oh, my gosh, this could be him.
Speaker 1: I don't think so. I think it has to be someone who's actively looking at the photos, actively searching or researching. Yeah, I bet you if I in a week time walk back, Actually, I bet you tomorrow, if I walked by a weathered yeah Mars, I probably wouldn't recognize him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the thing.
Speaker 1: And I spent the last like two days researching this case.
Speaker 2: Yikes, So it almost just seems like it's just this this oh, this haunting feeling of just like like feeling so helpless for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really, yeah, that's exactly it help us for him and help us for his family.
Speaker 2: Because technically, okay, technically, say he did survive and that was him who the truck driver had picked up, right, Yeah, But then at this point something else has happened or something, or he's passed away and like no, like his body would not have been identified. Correct, Oh my god. Okay, yeah, this is just too much.
Speaker 1: Unless someone had the know about to search to cross reference maybe his dental records and missing persons reports and stuff like that, yeah, which I do hope would occur.
Speaker 2: But sometimes hopefully, hopefully, I don't know. Shit like that just naturally occurs, though, when they have an an identified body.
Speaker 1: Hard to say. I think it's going to depend on the situation, because, unfortunately, I think if it becomes if we're talking homeless population, I think the likelihood of them cross referencing is probably lessened. And that's very sad to say. But if they just come across just hey, a random dead person that doesn't seem homeless or anything, then maybe maybe so wow.
Speaker 2: Wow, this story is something else. Oh my goodness, Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: You were all kinds of just wrapped up in your head, right, now I really am.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm literally about to eat snacks right now because I think I'm about to stress eat. But it's like, can I eat snacks while we're talking?
Speaker 1: So my goodness, your eyes are just darting back and forth like you're they are.
Speaker 2: This one is very This is kind of probably one of the most disturbing ones that I have listened to, really because I kind of have a bit of OCD.
Speaker 1: Right, yes, we would know that.
Speaker 2: I don't know if any everyone on here would know that.
Speaker 1: I can confirm that.
Speaker 2: It's like I could not fucking imagine that being someone I knew, and and this this is just this like I just don't think that I could go on living my life like not having a clue.
Speaker 1: Well, and I think that's why he is the most famous missing person, because the idea of him running from the fucking airport and just gone gone is so baffling and just so strange and just awe struck. Yeah that's even a word, but jaw dropping, I guess I think that is a word.
Speaker 2: I think. Yeah, holy moly, Okay.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that's the story of Lars Mittank.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Nicole is gonna be paralyzed in thought for the rest of the night. So this is gonna be funny.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it is. I mean I could see some like Internet sluice just spending some serious time on this. He people have, Yeah, because I would be so freaking pumped if like he was found like that would and like then was able to kind of like get the help or whatever that he needed if he had like memory loss or whatever like that would just be a freaking miracle and so amazing.
Speaker 1: Yep, you bet.
Speaker 2: Youah, Okay, well there you go.
Speaker 1: Well, hopefully you guys are not as distraught as Nicole right now. Hopefully you enjoyed the episode. If you want to check out any of our links, they're down below. We got Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, website, all of it's down there, you name it. Feel free to check it out Patreon if you want to go support us that way. If you want to just listen here, we really appreciate that. That goes long way. You can go ahead and give us a rating two. That means a lot. Basically, just thank you. You guys are wicked. Couldn't be doing this without you, so thank you.
Speaker 2: And just because I'm distraught doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the show. I just need to point that out, I know, But anyway, Ditto to everything Ben said, Thank you so much for being here.
Speaker 1: We really do appreciate waiting to take Easy Street.
Speaker 2: Ditto, ditto, and until next week, stay Wicked.