Speaker 1: Meaning a light man like this man letting butterfly flapping his wing big down in a forest.
Speaker 2: Man, it gonna cause the tree fold, letting five thousand miles away.
Speaker 1: Man, nobody seen, nobody else see. You don't need to know many flu You followed another story and.
Speaker 3: You got back to flect that man's man got back to name.
Speaker 1: On the panel. Man, Man, you don't don't matter. Man.
Speaker 2: All right, Brax and McCoy, welcome back to the Jay Burton Show.
Speaker 1: How you doing that? Good dude, how are you doing well?
Speaker 2: I think you and I might have the highest delta between how often you and I talk on the phone and how much you and I talk on the internet. It's been shoot, almost two years since you and I spoke, you know, on a podcast or whatever.
Speaker 1: Wow, but uh where I I have.
Speaker 2: To talk to you at least once a week, and it's punishing. I wouldn't wish on my worst end.
Speaker 1: I hear that in many such cases. I hear this all the time. Yeah, yeah, you're supposed to be out here bear hunting for the second year in a row, and we're not going to do it. From what I can tell, Yeah, I know, I'm honestly it is a character flaw. I'm just horrible at planning things, because you probably noticed as evidence actually by this podcast where we planned it a week in advance, with no specific time and no specific topic past I think like two lines I gave you twenty seconds ago. So the kids say it's a skill issue. I really had nothing better than that. I get it. I got the same problem. Well, you got like a TBI. I was just born this way. Yeah. Well I was like I was bad before, you know, so it's just like increased. I was born retarded. Did you know my mom had me tested when I was a kid because she thought I was retarded. Did I ever tell you about that?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: But I got tested too, And they're like, uh no, And I think, honestly, this is like the early nineties, right, So if it was now, they'd be like, your kid's autistic, you know, But back then they were just like, no, we don't we don't really know what's wrong with them.
Speaker 1: He's not retarded.
Speaker 2: But well I got I got tested the same thing my parents. I was not doing well. My parents pulled me out at homeschooled me and they're like, there's there's something ain't right because I was like eight or nine and just refused to learn how to read. I just wouldn't do it. And so they bring me in and they like gave me the like pig drink and the headphones, the whole thing. And lady's like, all right, I don't know how to tell you this. Your son's not autistic, he's not retarded. He's just really stubborn. And they're like, all right, well, I mean you know that's not a medical condition.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this sounds like my middle son. Dude, he's totally like that. Like for a while, I was even like, is he We're gonna have to help him a little bit, like with reading and stuff. But then he'll like blurt out something that's like a systems level analysis. I'm like, there's no way that you understood that by yourself, and like are struggling with certain parts of reading.
Speaker 2: You just don't want to do it, you know, which I mean, honestly, there's a discussion for another day. But in my mind, one of the real flaws of education is that it tracks guys like that into like the special bus, you know, and it's like, Okay, maybe we need to do this a different way. Whatever you are, you're not the same as like the kid who can't tie his shoes or like blow snot bubbles, Like those are two both problems from a certain perspective, but completely separate things. But Braxton, since the last time we spoke on air, you went on Tucker, you started a conservation organization, or at least I became a way of it. So I'm curious before we get into this, where did this come from?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Where did this kind of passion for the outdoors, you know, originate? And well, to be honest, man, why do you step up and start something? I mean, my youth is where it all really started.
Speaker 1: Like we outside all the time, you know, with Grandpa and just the whole family. Grew up rural and we were constantly up on the mountain fishing or hunting or whatever. And then I was with a different organization like ten years ago working on this kind of stuff. Uh, dude. And I used to tell them all. I can remember, like multiple conversations sometimes even in DC, talking to these guys before we'd go, you know, sit down with senators or whatever, and telling them like, look, man, you have got to approach this from a right wing perspective as far as like sales and transfers and this sort of stuff goes. The left is not the one, at least back then that was pushing for that. It was always the right. So bringing these kind of lefty talking points is not going to sway right wing congressman at all, because he knows instinctively that you do not represent his voters. Right. So, in fact, one time, the head of the organization, we were having lunch and I was like, is your goal to just have a liberals who hunt group? Because if that's your goal, then you've done it. So anyway, so I was doing that kind of stuff back then, and I just couldn't really get my position within the organization pushed forward. A couple other guys had the same complaint and left, So then I just kind of started writing about it and talking about everywhere I would go. And then Mike Leathan came up and you know, with the with the big beautiful bill stuff, and they were absolutely trying to sell off all of the BLM. Like they'll try to tell you they weren't doing that, and that forrest too, Like one map they tried to say was a bullshit map was not anyway, the main goal was selling all off and this was like a gateway in. So when I was reading kind of behind the scenes and then talking to friends, I just basically made it my job for two weeks to troll Mike Lee. I told my wife, I was like, this is all I'm going to do for two weeks. We're just not going to let this guy breathe, right, So I started doing that and then somehow that got the attention of Sean, Ryan's former producer, and he reached out and was like, can you be out here in like two days? And I said yeah, no matter what. And he's like, can you handle the travel? And I said, yeah, whatever, dude, I'll be there, Like this is a big deal for me. And so I wrote kind of what the show outline would look like. You know, Sean's a passionate outdoorsman, but this is like, this topic is hyper niche, right, so you've got to be into it, and it takes a long time to understand all the different kind of political machinations behind the scenes and all that, so you really sort of need somebody who's been steeped in it. So I wrote the show outline and sent it to him, and obviously they made adjustments. They're pros and they were like, hey, we'll see you on Thursday or whatever it was. And then I flew out there and did that, and then that got the attention of Tucker and I had a friend hit me up, Philip, I think it was it was Philip, and he was like, you know, you have to start an org. You have to kind of start your own organization. I said, all right, So we set that up and so that's how we got here. That's that's the rambling version of how the organization got started. Well, I think it the issue of a public lands and the kind of like natural birthright of our country. I think it's an interesting one because it sort of strikes at this fault line right between To be honest, it's like what are we conserving? Like what is the point of this country? And you know they're this fight has been raging for longer than you or I are been alive. But it's sort of this perfect encapsulation of it is the point of America to be this sort of strip mall where anyone can come and get rich and as long as the business is doing well, you get a positive cash flow and that's a good country. Or is it a place for a people a place for Americans to live, and it really, I think, struck a chord with a lot of people because it's there are few things as popular as in natural parks and public land. Don't get me wrong, there are issues you know better than I the whole situation with water rights and grazing and all that. But the number of people who say, yeah, we should take that, sell it to property developers and move the entire population of Mumbai there is next to zero. It's not particularly popular.
Speaker 2: And especially in an era where immigration is such a live is you and where you have people who describe themselves as you know, hardline MAGA conservatives and seemingly they'll say that, you know, they'll say like, oh, we've got to you know, all the problems that you know, mass migration and all the problems that have started to affect our communities.
Speaker 1: That's bad.
Speaker 2: And then you lift the curtain up a little bit and you're like, wait a minute, Bud, you're selling that's the amount of land to your bodies to provide space for like low rent housing. What do you think happens there? And I think that I'll be the first to admit before you started talking about it, wasn't even an issue that I really thought about because I live in a part of the country where there aren't a lot of public land, and you know, like a lot of East Coast guys, was shocked and amazed when I went out west and saw like, oh, this like incredible natural beauty. And then to be told by an immigration restrictionist, maga hardliner like Lee or any others, oh wait, we're going to sell that off because we did it with the private market. It's okay, It's like we look, man, I don't care, like I don't care about that part. The reason I care about America is because it's a home for people like me, you know, not because it's a balance sheet, says USA at the top.
Speaker 1: I can yeah, man, that's exactly right. And a lot of it is so. Mike Lee has been wanting to do this since he got in office. In fact, you can go back. Somebody found a campaign flyer from twenty eleven. I think it was the year he first was campaigning to for I think Congress and then Senate is how he did it. But he might want straightened the Senate either way. Clear back on the campaign flyer, he's talking about this and if you look at like his his prior work, he worked as a litigator for or in house council rather for energy solutions, So it really it's kind of a you don't have to scratch your head to figure out why he even ran for office to begin with, right, So in some ways this is his main things and as far as the immigration restriction is part. This is my view of politics is that different. Everyone is representing an interest of some kind, and a lot of the reason that Republicans will look as if they're like flip floppy or wishy washy on stuff is they're reading the tea leaves of like political discourse, and then they'll try to kind of chameleon into one little part of it in order to look a certain way, but they didn't actually change their fundamental purpose for being there. Look at like Ted Cruz with Zionism, Mike Lee with public land. You see this kind of pattern emerge, and they'll pretend to be super based on something, but really it's just in furtherance of whatever reason they were elected to begin with. So that's something to all in my view to bear in mind. When you're watching these people, they're they're not as some people say, oh, they just you know, this guy will change his position sort of at a whim, you know, if that's what people want. It's like, yes, so now why is he there? Right? You have to ask the next question, and most people don't do that. And to your other point, as far as like my GDP and line go up and all this stuff, libertarianism sort of libertarian economic theory kind of infected all of right wing populist politics through I don't know, I guess I'm not a person who should tell you when it started. But for most of my life this was like the definitional conservative was the guy who says less government, less taxes, all this stuff that doesn't address the main question like what are you conserving if you're a conservative? So that sort of ethos, in my view, has got to go. And it's not to say it's like a wrong economic theory. It's just got a bad starting point. So like, let's go back to the starting point and then if you want to overlay this economic theory back in and see how it works out, and then maybe we can do that. But the starting point should be, uh, is this good for American families? Because that's what I'm trying to conserve is that people Well, I don't know if you saw this, Braxton, but there's been a viral post going around Twitter of this guy who basically, you know, made his son, you know, sell like pistained carpets so that he could buy his first car when he turned sixteen. And okay, fair enough, like I worked crappy jobs by my first car. Whatever.
Speaker 2: But the objectionable part, at least in my mind, is he gave him a loan for like fifteen hundred bucks, but his loan to his dad is like twenty five percent. It's like the mostly regius interests. Yeah, and so people are you know, doing the normal reactions like, oh, this is everything wrong. But I think it's kind of interesting because I think that a lot of a lot of conservatives rightly have this understanding that like, you know, you've got to you've got to practice tough love, and you've got to raise your kids in such a way that they understand, you know, they can't depend on hand numps, which I understand that's a laudable goal. And you know, I'm sure we've all seen examples of you know, kids who are given way too much and they become monsters as an adult. And so all right, fair enough, we're seeing that instinct to leave something to your children, a less right, something that will prepare them for the world after you're gone. And I think that's an instinct that conservatives naturally have.
Speaker 1: They get that.
Speaker 2: But on the other end, there is a part that there are assets that are not yours to dispose of. You know, you own them now, but it's like the family farm. You know, it's something to be passed through generations. And you know, I think of you know, one of my best friends, his family farm is deeded to them by the king, right, that's how long it's been there, and you know, every subsequent generation has you know, maybe they managed it well, maybe they managed it poorly, but it was never something for someone to burn. And now it's something that sort of serves as you know, an economic engine, a retirement plan for you know, their eighty five year old grandfather. And so that's something that yeah, sure, any one person at a point in time could have cashed in their chips, right, they could have sold they could have individually made their lives better. And conservatives, right wingers, libertarians, that whole side of things really like property rights, and I understand why right, because the government, the lefties whatever, they're attacking that, you know, they want you to own nothing and be happy quote unquote, But like the correct understanding of property is like, yeah, it is yours, you own it, but it's not yours in the sense that it is right for you to do whatever you want with it. Right, just as you have an obligation or you were given something by those people before you, you have an obligation to those people who come after you. That's the conservation. You're sort of conserving, the like civil as a seed corn and the idea that like, well it says my name on the deed, so I can burn everything down so that I can go out on a cruise ship or whatever.
Speaker 1: It's.
Speaker 2: It's it's like penny wise and pound foolish. And perhaps the worst example of this is George Bagbee, who's routinely on my show has made no secret about the fact that he's worked on cruise ships. Right, it's how he, you know, funds his life. And here's this little telegram channel maybe six hundred people in it, or he'll leave either these texts or voice messages of talking to people on cruise ships. You know, after the fact like, oh, this is the conversation I had. Man, let me tell you, it's the most black billing thing you'll ever listen to the world, because it'll be people like sitting around joking about like, yeah, this, I'm on my kid's college fund right now. You know this, twenty thousand dollars voat trip My kids are going to be working for every set And look like, you know what, I don't grudge anyone enjoying their retirement, right, but taking that and sort of turning that into a joke and like laughing about it that I am going to, you know, take everything with me. Obviously that's not literally what you know, Mike Lee or any of these guys are saying. But it's that same thing, right of like effectively burning this asset and for what to make up a fraction of the debt that we're never going to pay back anyway, to line your pockets in your friend's pockets. It's like, one that is far from a conservative impulse. And two, once it's gone, it's gone. You can't sell the farm twice. You can't you sell more of this effectively irreparable or irreparably irreplaceable kind of natural beauty and I don't know, man, it's it's an attitude that really bothers me.
Speaker 1: Well I would, uh, I would take it a step further and say that it's it's fundamentally an anti American. Like if you if you go back all the way to like John Smith, you know, he gets done killing Turks and being a slave and all this stuff and being a pirate and all this other cool shit, and then he comes over to America and that original Jamestown colony. I know, there were a couple other attempts, but the Jamestown Colony, the intent was exploitative. They had been seeing, you know, the Spanish bringing back hordes of gold, and they were like, well, I'm gonna go get mine, right, So it was a purely profit driven venture to begin with. But the real turn happens when John Smith realizes that the land is actually what's valuable, like the place. So at the very core route beginning of America is this idea that the dirt is what makes this place what it is, you know, or in terms of like value. So to ignore that and be like, well, whatever, how about some fiat for the you know what I mean, I'm gonna I'm going to get rid of this thing that actually was the you know, the foundation of what the country became. I'm going to get rid of that for some printed you know money, like what what are we even doing here? Like? You know, So I would argue that America as an idea begins with John Smith. Many people make that argument, but it's the land itself. So an American is something tied to this idea of an expanse from the very start.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to do something. I realize you're Orthodox, so I might scare you here by reading in English from the script, but I've been going through with a group, going through Ecclesiastes along with a great book by Peter Creeft, Three Philosophies of Life. Creeft is Catholic. I am not, but he's an exceptional writer. And so this section just reminded me of that. This is from ecclesiastic If you see the oppression of the poor and the violent perversion of justice and righteousness in the province, do not marvel at this matter or high official for the high official watches over high official and higher officials over them. Most interesting part, the last one, moreover, the profit of the land is for all, even the king is served from the field. And that idea, right that the land is the nation that is where the prosperity sort of flows up from, I think is one that has really been we've really moved away from. You know, you can talk to you know, listen to my buddy, you know, Peruvian Bull, who's been on the internet forever talking about this, that there's sort of a maximum stable amount of your economy that can come from finance, usury, right, moving money around. I guess a useful thing. You know, it's helpful to be able to get loans so you can do things. I mean, like, let's be honest, the settlement of America was you know, in certain places done on right. You know, you get a loan and then when you set up your farm you can pay it back. Right, we understand that. But at the same time, the maximum number historically is something like you know, five to twelve percent.
Speaker 1: Like that's stable.
Speaker 2: But as it gets bigger and bigger and bigger, you start to get these weird per person sentives because you make money not by doing anything providing a service, per se, but by shifting things around on a spreadsheet. And I think that you know, that instinct to basically take a physical asset and reduce it into kind of fungible money, right tokens on a balance sheet.
Speaker 1: It really is.
Speaker 2: You were you were pulling something that is real that lasts forever into something that is like sand. Right, it rolls through your fingers. Because let's be honest, right, how much money? You probably know the number? How much money would we as like AMERI Corp. Gain from selling all this land?
Speaker 1: Do you have any idea? Yeah? They So they tried to say during the first of all, what you said before was great and true, and I want to put a pin in that because I'm in a reference of Protestant scholar here in a second, but they put out a number and they tried to say one hundred trillion. Okay, that is totally poem, like pulled out of their ass It's made up. I don't even know what okay, So what would happen? I did my own like just basic math on it. Right now, like sprub land type stuff out here is higher than I've ever seen it, like we would call it grass like grazing ground or whatever, higher than I've ever seen it, And the average is probably around thirty five hundred an acre, and that's incredibly high given that it can't even produce five hundred an acre. Right, if you actually did thirty five hundred an acre, you could buy all the land in the state of Idaho for around hundred billion. Maybe it was one hundred and fifteen billion that I found. So just given how much public land is in the state of Idaho and how much public land is in the rest of the West, and use the number one hundred and fifteen billion, and then kind of times it by the eleven public land states, because the number is going to be lower in Nevada because the ground is worse even less. So you just kind of do that and you come up to about like what a trillion, you know, So where are you getting this one hundred x figure? They're just making it up, right, So you sell all this off and you get a trillion. Well, we're what forty trillion into what was the number right now?
Speaker 2: I mean, well, and the rate at which that debt is increasing anyway, it's like we even if we count that one trillion, it's like, all right, it's a step in the right direction. It's like, well, in the time it took you to draw up those contracts, how much more has been added, Right, It's a drop in the bucket. And it's why I don't believe that's the actual reason, right that that smells to me like something that they came up with after deciding they wanted to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Man, it's it's minerals. So it's it's private interest, right. The data center a lot of money in the data center tech stuff, so it's partly that, but it's it's mineral rights. That's what they want. Uh. And that Lee tipped his hand in the final you know, adjustment that he made to his proposal on the Big Beautiful Bill. It was like, Okay, well you can keep the land, but just give us the mineral rights. It's like, all right, well that's what it's for. So it's pay it's kickbacks, it's it's it's like everything else in politics, right, it's it's personal interest or personal gain rather.
Speaker 2: And I think that's one of the things that I I sort of find insulting about it, because like, look, I'm not I'm not naive about this. I understand how people are corrupt. Politicians are corrupt. It is what it is, you know, It's it's the human condition. But to sort of try and you know, big man, everyone one be like, oh, well, this is the real conservative position.
Speaker 1: It's like, no, it's not. You just want to get paid.
Speaker 2: And I know he can't just say that, but it almost be more honest to just come out, you know, and it's like, you know, you got hold.
Speaker 1: On and I know a more piece of evidence for that. I don't want to make this just a Mike le Hayeka, but yeah, this is the same guy. This is the same guy who just like you know that, uh teams up with Kamala to try to end per country caps on H one B visas. Right, Like that is obviously not a conservative position, obviously, So you don't get to come in here and tell like, define the word for me now when it's it's so like and we'll get you face value and see that you're just trying to get paid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's pure and naked corruption and the partisan aspect of it as well. It is just kind of shameless because so many people who were so willing to tell you, oh, you know, the Democratic Party is bought and sold by China, you know, or oh, you know, Tucker Carlson is bought and sold by Qatar. It's like, oh, when we get to India, suddenly you get real quiet or other nations will leave it there. But in my mind, and this is a sort of a sidetrack and get back to, you know, the kind of nature of American soul, which I want to get to. But I think, like a lot of people, I didn't realize how big the India lobby had gotten until the I think it was a twenty twenty four RNC. Right, oh yeah, where all of a sudden we've got someone at the front leading the whole crowd and some kind of Hindu prayer And you're like what yeah, And you look at it and you're like, where where did this come from? Like, not only is this not like, oh, you know, a slow burn, it's like out of nowhere. Ostensibly the party of the American people, right, the people who've been here for a while. If you look at the voting patterns and stuff like that, it's like, where did this come from?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Just literally jumping into bed with you know, a foreign nation, which I guess for the Republican Party they're probably used to. But speaking about that kind of tie tie to the soil, it's one of the really interesting things. You you read in the kind of accounts of very early settlers to America is what was the what were the big draws? Okay, for a little bit they thought there was goal on the ground at it and turn out at.
Speaker 1: Least not here.
Speaker 2: But it was basically, well, to be fair, okay, some of you can get a choice. My antist never kidnapping kids out its prison and they ended up but anyway.
Speaker 1: But.
Speaker 2: I at all point it's but basically it was the idea of you can go to this this virgin continent and you can have land and a lot of land and look like part of the weird thing about America is we never really went through a feudal stage, right, and a big part of that is that from a very early era, normal people could have access to land, which historically is you know, this huge store of wealth. And you compare the idea of like the King's Forest where there's a limited amount of you know, game animals, there's a limited amount of fish, animal protein, and you were not able to access it. And then you read you know they're in Jamestown. They're talking about like oysters like as big as your hand, you know, in an almost unlimited amount of you know, deer and fish in the rivers, and the access to basically live like a king, right to eat better than you know, nobility would in your home country like that, that was a huge draw. And all throughout the kind of settling of America you have this process of basically you know, second sons of guys who you know went bust. You always have the option to go west and keep going west. And you see this over and over again in you know, American film, American literature. There's this great section from my favorite book, All the King's Men, where the main character where I take my online pseudonym from, basically has this sort of crisis and he does this crazy you know, one sitting drive from Louisiana all the way to uh to Palm or to Long Beach, sorry my bad, across the country and it's maybe three paragraphs of text, and he's talking about like, going west is what you do in America when the note comes due, you don't have money, when the well goes dry, when the police are out for you, that's what you do. And so even as someone who's lived their entire life, you know, within in the Blue Ridge Mountains, the the kind of symbolic importance of undisturbed. You know, Western Wildland is huge. It's our nation. It's our national story, right, like the cowboy is our version of you know, the Knight in arm or the Samurai whatever. It's our thing. And so yeah, sure, there's the economics which don't add up. There's the very real sense of betrayal that you're selling us out for India. But on another level, it's like it feels the same as you know, taking dynamite to I don't know, the Lincoln Memorial or you know, something like that. It's a national symbol that's very core to Yeah, that's absolutely the American Americans, right.
Speaker 1: We're intrinsically tied to it. I think, for for me, whenever, whenever I think about this stuff, anytime I'm using the word land, I'm almost using it as a euphemism for my people. You know. It's like I love my people, and without this they don't exist anymore. Man Like it's gone. So yeah, the cultural piece is for me, the most important. But in terms of like bloodsport debate with retarded politicians, it's kind of not very effective, even though it should be. It's just not very effective. So what they would say to this, they're wrong in lying. But what they would say to what you just said is, well, yeah, the draw was that you could own your own land, and these guys can't own their own land because you know, it's all swallowed up by bl and enforcers. That's not true. There are government I've found in a book. I text you about this when I found it, but so I don't have it in my hand, so I can't show you, but I will put it out a document all the way back from like sixteen forty five where they're talking about the right to hunt and fish on all public properties. So this idea was intrinsic to the building of our people. Right, So you feel that you feel it as like emotion, but it is true historically too, like as a matter of fact.
Speaker 2: And on that point, right, the and I understand why conservatives, right wingers, whatever you want to call those people are to be honest kind of nervous with the idea of like the public good, you know, because it smells like socialism and look like you and I understand that there are things that are technically for the public good that aren't for you and I. Right, you know, Section eight housing, welfare, public transport. Right, that's not really for you and I, and so I understand that. But if you look at how actually has national land been used, graded on a curve of government programs, people like it and it's going well. I think that honestly, and not looking to get into the whole Bundy thing, like we said, there are issues there one hundred percent, but I even look at positive developments within the Trump administration, for instance, you know, charging non citizens for access to this land, which I mean, that's great. Like I remember when I went to Yellowstone, I was thirteen, so what fifteen years ago, and even then, you know, it looked like it was Shanghai. You know, it was wall to wall and Okay, you know what, that's not ideal. That's a problem that could be addressed. But there are a few things, in my mind, kind of more American than the American road trip, right, that idea of going to these places, and it's something that like, you don't need to be particularly rich to do. It's a very normal middle even lower middle class thing to have seen these sites, and it's something that we all do benefit from, you know, we all do gain some sense of like this is a useful kind of end to my taxes, end to my money. And don't get me wrong, like there are any number of things that my tax dollars are spent on feel like a complete and total waste, right, you know, blowing up girls schools halfway across the world, you know, smashing pictures of Jesus. Like, I don't like that. I don't like the fact that my money is used to you know, promote, you know, trans stuff in schools. But when it's like a minute fraction of that money that I basically just right off, it's just burned, goes to something that me and hopefully, you know, my descendants will be able to enjoy it. It's like, well, we're gonna have taxes. That's not a bad place for them to go, you know, in the Grand Scheme to things great everything else they do.
Speaker 1: One graded on a curve, as you say, these are the best government run institutions that we have. That's not to say that they're problem free. I can I can just feel the boomer rage right at whoever's listening to this. It's not to say they're a problem free, but created on a curve, these are probably the best government programs we have the National park system makes money every year, you know, and we don't want to conflate national parks with public lands. But just in that case, it makes money every year. It makes enough to pay for the floor service and the people in so we can just forget about it, right. So that's an important point. And then secondly, the idea that for your kids, that sort of thing like it's not mine, it's just mine for a time, you know, like Teddy Roosevelt said, we have to preserve it for those yet in the womb of time. Right. This concept is very important and I don't even know that you can remain an American without that. Like what separates us well, I mean a lot of things now, but this is the thing that separated us from the British as we were, you know, a fledgling, upstart set of colonies and then eventually a nation. It was this thing. I feel you just have to be really, really careful when you start playing with foundational things, right, Like I was gonna say earlier, the Protestants Callar Michael Heiser. He talks a lot about sacred geography not to be or cosmic geography. That's what he says, not to be confused with what's that guy's name, the asteroid guy, Randall Carlson. This is a guy making an argument from the Bible. And he points out that our modern sort of eyes and ears don't detect in the text, this this subtext that was obvious to all of them, like the importance of the land itself. Right, Like, for example, I forget his name, but this pagan guy, he's got leprosy, right, and he's struggling, and he's got a Jewish you know, Hebrew slave girl or whatever. And the slave girl says, just go to the prophet, and the prophet can fix this. I don't know why you're complaining, right, And so he finally goes to Ezekiel, and Ezekiel won't even come out to meet him. Do you remember the story. He's like in his tenth and he won't even come out to meet him. And the noble pagan guy is sort of put off by this, right, He's like, well, you can't even come out I'm important or whatever. He's like, just go wash in the Jordan River. And as Heiser points out, there's nothing about the Jordan River that is particularly special. You know, the guy's in his brain thinking like We've got better rivers in Syria than this, Like why would I. So he goes and baths in it seven times, and then his leprosy is cured, and that brings him into the fold. Now he knows that God is the one true God. Well, the next thing he does is ask if he can take dirt from that area, and he takes like a camel train or whatever it is of dirt back to Syria. Right. So this for them it was obvious, you know, the importance of this kind of thing. But for modern people, we don't. We don't think of it on that level, you know, And I think that's kind of we need to figure out how to push it out back into the land apologetic without turning off you know, the non Christians.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think about this a lot. There was a map going around where it was the percentage of people from any state who lived there that were born there. So obviously Mississippi Louisiana's off the charts, as you'd imagine, and states like California, Vermont, and Florida are incredibly low. And look, I get it, economy sucks. Sometimes you got to move. I don't blame anyone for individually making that choice, but there is something there's something lost with being a nomad in that way, right of never kind of setting your roots down. And perhaps some of my best points on this I'm just shamelessly stealing from my buddy Arnst van Zeel conscious Carocle. He's an afrofum in South Africa, and he was talking about this question because he's like, constantly people are asking me, why don't you move right, why don't you join an expat community in Melbourne or in America? Like you'll do well, right, we know the boards do well wherever they go. And his whole point is like, well, a boor a farmer only exists here, right, this is where we are, and when we go away, we don't become that anymore. We become we become great Americans, become great Brits, we become great Australians. And that's a credit to us. Right, we're doing what immigrants are supposed to do. But if you care about your people, there's a death in that, right, you're becoming something else. And he has this great essay talking about building a trench where this is pulling on things that happened during the Boer Wars, where you know the bors were fighting.
Speaker 1: The Brits.
Speaker 2: Developed trench warfare and jungle warfare. They didn't develop the concentration camp, but all of these things that would become relevant in later wars. You kind of sprung up in that conflict. And he's using this analogy of digging a trench, where he's like, well, yeah, sometimes you've got to retreat. Sometimes you've got to run. Sometimes you've got to get out or you're gonna die. But you don't do that to keep running forever. You run so you can find a place, dig a trench and fortify it right and make it yours. And when I look at and I just spent you know, the weekend in DC and DC any number of these other kind of you know, leading cities, they really are that kind of geography of nowhere where it's everybody from anywhere with no real know, kind of cultural ties whatsoever, going to these same stores that they would go to anywhere else across the globe. You know, it's the same type of people, kind of polished, free of anything unique or special. And that's what I like about America. I like that it's regional, I like that it's specific. I like that I've lost it. Who knows if I ever had it, But I like that. When I talk to old people here, they talk different than old people from you know, two states over. And that kind of particularity again, once it's gone, it's gone. You know, you you took something that took hundreds of years to develop and you turned it to kind of gray goo and look man like a crappy apartment building, you know, a mining concern whatever those are. Those are interchangeable, right, those are mechanized, those are designed to be produced. And you you look at again, you know, national Parks of the Elm Land, and it's like, well, that's that's not fungible, that's specific. That is something that is you know, unique. There's not something else like it. And so to take that and to kind of despoil it and turn it into just another part of that kind of like global monoculture. It's just like you're watching if that were to happen, you'd watch something die in the same way. If you know every you know, weird dutchman from South Africa moved to you know, I don't know La, that thing, that special, unique thing would be gone, and I don't know, man like it at a very deep level it. It bothers me. You know, it feels like the world getting less interested.
Speaker 1: You're right that they're as a death in leaving your place. I think the regional point is important when considering America because there's like, there's like all these subcultures still exist in rural America. But as you say, like, if you go to pretty much name picture metro, it's the same the suburban part of it will be the same strip mall hell that you see in San Diego or whatever, and all the people sound the same. They'll all even pretty much behave the same. Right, So if you leave like your region, you do become something different. But at the same time, if you destroy the rural areas, it's over right, like like what do you have now? Yeah, man, I don't know it. I don't know how you get this through to somebody, because obviously we're becoming sort of city states all of us, like Idaho, the direction it's trending. Uh, you know, nobody likes to hear this, but all these people moving in here, they're supposedly conservative or whatever. Well, you build big metros and you're gonna just you, I mean, you will become California. California may not have been as conservative as something whatever that word even means, as right wing ish as a place like Idaho is now in the eighties, but it was a completely fundamentally different place. It was you know, uh there's it was like a ranching production state with some cities in it. And now look what happened, right, so I understand the fleeing phono start.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, yeah, dude, look a look at the Pacific Northwest right, look at you know, Oregon and Washington, Like, why did people end up in Oregon? They were running away from California.
Speaker 1: No, no, you're talking that's what happened example, because that's kind of thing that happened with like Colorado too. But there was a a lot more East Coast influence moving in, like Massachusetts and stuff like that. But the same sort of stuff happened. You can't know someone what the people that do that generally, like as far as leave their region entirely. Like if someone moved from West Virginia to Virginia for work or whatever it provided, it wasn't you know, Nova, A K Street or some shit. He moved there to go work at whatever company he stayed like within his people, right, that's probably not like a fundamental change coming along with that because it's culturally similar. And I don't profess to be like an expert on the dynamics of Appoaysia. I'm just trying to make the point. So someone going from Wyoming to Idaho for work like that, culturally there's almost no change. So it doesn't really like change. It doesn't. It doesn't impact the state in the same way as someone going from a place like California to somewhere else. And so when you destroy or when you bring a new culture in, even if that person who is really, let's be honest, actually just looking for lower taxes, in almost every case, That's what I was gonna say earlier. You bring that guy in, he may vote Trump or whatever, but he is he is adding to the destruction of the culture. His offspring will be whatever he is outside of taxes, so that cultural change shift can come in through the kids. So maybe for ten years you look nominally more conservative, but you've broken the culture, right, and once the culture is gone, it goes back to the almost tiresome question that we all ask online all the time, like what are you conserving right? If you're not conserving your people, you're conserving nothing. Well man, And.
Speaker 2: You saw this happen in Virginia, right my home state, where you know, even within a Republican control, and you know, not that long ago, Virginia was a ruby red state. And well what happened, Well, there was a lot of tax money for you know, inviting in different tech companies, different kind of industrial concerns, and well they brought people with them. Now, the DC thing, that's its own separate thing, right, but you've seen the same thing across the entire southeast, right North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, where for understandable reasons, you know, the leaders are like, oh, we want X y Z factory, we want them to make this, we want them to do this, we want our own kind of tech hub, like you know what's happening in Austin or what they're trying to do in other places. And it's like, I get that, that makes sense, but what are you what are you trading there? And what you're trading is you're getting more of that monoculture, right, You're getting this sort of people that we're living in San Francesco two years ago. And yeah, you're right, the taxes stink. Taxes are you know, inconstarable, So their business ended up moving. But it's the same thing as you know, selling the public lands, where it's like you're you're getting an immediate hit, right, you're getting that increase to revenue, but you're eating away at the actual place itself. And I think that like because of that kind of fiscal conservative sensibility. Like it it's like rat poison, right. It tastes great. It's exactly what they want to eat. And for that like immediate rush, it's probably great until it starts to eat you out from the inside.
Speaker 1: I'm not picking on Texans when I say this, because I've got a lot of friends down there and they are very touchy about this stuff. But I do love them. If you look at Texas, they did exactly this thing for decades and they'll still tell you how much they love Texas and they know every piece of Texas history and all that. But if you were to say, okay, can you go to that spot? You know you're telling me this. You know, I don't want to pick something huge like Santa Ana or something, but you know where this where Jack Black killed whatever? Wasn't that his name Jack Hayes. That's what I was thinking. He killed whichever Indian over in this area, and you know the story and it's all important to you or whatever, and it makes Texas Rangers very cool and so forth, and all that is true, but you can't go there because it's under a strip mall or a data center or whatever. So for how much this is, you're paving over your own history. And then you're wondering why the kids like don't care about it. You know, there's another thing in Texas I noticed last time I was down there. And again, I'm not trying to pick on him. I'm really like trying to get my people to understand what happens. Right. I was at a barber you joint, and I was watching the people, like all these dorks wearing like gas station cowboy hats and stuff. They're not they're obviously not real Texans, but they're doing this like I'm a Texan larp thing. And so they've got a gas station Jason al denstraw hat or some shit, right, And it's easy to look at that and be like, oh, these guys are gay, and they are right, but you should lament that because so many of them are able to do this and walk around and knocket like they're asses kicked or made fun of or whatever. Because they're able to be this gay, it is proof that the actual Texans who that symbol meant something to are gone, you know, or there's like not enough of them. So it's easy to be glib about it and be like, oh, those guys are fags, but there's something worse happening there. You know. It should make you think. I'm not saying you should like cry about it, but it should make you think about what happened to you.
Speaker 2: You know, well, like two things there. One, you know, I mentioned the the sort of death or regional accents, and my my great grandmother passed not too long ago, right, very old, and she's from kind of the same area that I am. Actually, if if you ever listened to uh the old old Bluegrass uh Doc Watson and talk very very similar accent from very similar areas. And you know, I was thinking back, you know, to the last time we'd spoke, and I kind of hated the fact that she sounded like she's from a place and I could be from anywhere, you know, like I've got the syntax, you know, I still say that, you know, those certain words that you can take the New York Times whatever accent quiz and it'll you know, find out where you are on the map.
Speaker 1: But like that had been.
Speaker 2: Kind of lost, and it makes me think about like the kind of crazy neo pronouns, right diseasers, the all that kind of stuff, which like a lot of a lot of you know, right wingers and conservatives love to make fun of and I get why, Like it's ridiculous, it's absurd, and they should be bullied more for it. But at the same time, like where does that come from?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: That comes from an extreme lack of identity, Right, that comes out of a desire of like, well, I want to be somebody. I want to have something that reflects what I am. And you know, some of that has to do with this idea that you know, you have to define your own identity. It's not something you are, it's something you have to choose, which is you know, a discussion for another day. But I think a big part of it is all the all the things people used to derive identity from, you know, whether that's regional, whether that's religious affiliation, whether that's simply patriotic, have kind of they've been absorbed into that goop, and so it becomes like a costume, right, it becomes that cowboy hat you can buy from you know, Safeway or whatever. And when we're talking about like, you know, the core identity of what it is to be an American, it's like that same question, albeit phrased differently, is sort of being asked everywhere right where.
Speaker 1: It's like what what am I? Like?
Speaker 2: Why are we here? What's the point of all this? And yeah, sure that may not be directly connected to that, you know, that guy wearing a stupid cowboy hat and a barbecue joint in San Antonio, but like it's the same expression of it, right, that kind of rootlessness, lack of identity, and again, like it's one of those things where it just seems to be kind of a consequence of modernity. And why also that question of like who is an American is really important? Because if American is just an identity you can pick up at the gas station, like a you know, twenty five dollars straw hat, like what is it doesn't mean any of it. You know, you could be American one day, you could be something else the next, versus like well, if it's a sort of like an ethnic thing, you know, and look like, okay, I'm a different kind of American than like, you know, our buddy of lee is, he's a different thing than me, and you know we only start start fights with the wops. But like the that's that's a radically different understanding than simply like it's another one of those identifiers that I can pick up at any time. And well let's play that out right, If that's all what it is to be American is just I've you know, made certain rational like I say, I stand at the front of a room and say, yes, I affirm the Constitution, I passed my Civics test. Well, then of course those people aren't going to have the same feeling towards and reverence for our kind of international treasures, right, the things that one generation is passed down from one to another. Because they're not theirs, you know, they don't have that same kind of gut level attack that you know, you and I do.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I just rant. Here's another example of that. In Idaho. There's like a lot of Californians moving in and these people are nominally right wing, I guess, and they are like they've you know, they have a very high freedom score from whatever Homo at the Cato Institute would give them, you know what I mean. Uh, I've seen them tweeting online about how we should break off Eastern Idaho from Western Idaho, and it's like, bitch, you just got here. Can you shut the fuck up? You know what I mean? But that's exactly what happens.
Speaker 2: It's like going over to one of your buddies places and moving its furniture around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like the traditional like Mormon Corridor, Idaho people are part of what made the entire Mountain West into what it is. Like they I'm I'm not a Mormon, right, but I have respect for them as people, and a lot of my family are Mormons. Like we've been out here since like eighteen forty or whatever the hell. Right, they came out and carved their own sort of nation out of a place that no one wanted. So to come in from somewhere else and within ten minutes start talking about carving it up into your own little libertarian paradise. Is an expression of that thing you were talking about earlier. Like they don't care, it doesn't mean anything to them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, it's it's yeah, yeah, you said their.
Speaker 1: Backs Philip, you can call me and I'm getified right here, So.
Speaker 2: Now I fill it. Men, Well, what are we gonna do with that guy?
Speaker 1: Anyway? Man?
Speaker 2: This has been a really interesting discussion. So, assuming people want to get involved with what you're doing at Sagebrush, where should they go?
Speaker 1: Stage one Institute dot org and follow scrub Lands. That's where I do most of the writing. I've been slacking on it, so we're trying to fix the house but getting close to be only get back to work on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, I will include both of those links in the description. Y'all should definitely check it out.
Speaker 1: And I think that.
Speaker 2: One of the things that I have realized, particularly for younger guys, is that there are a lot of civic institutions whatever that have a surprising amount of sway, and the people that run these institutions are very, very old and are desperately looking for successors. The point is, if you're interested in conservation and getting involved in this, even if you know there's not enough guys local to spin up something for Sagebrush, dig around because you can. You be surprised how far you can go quickly and really start to make changes on this front. There is I guarantee you there is some sort of you know organization, whether it's you know, hunters and fishermen of whatever town you live in. And I can almost guarantee you the average age of members is like about sixty five to seventy. And if you come in, you know, don't be a freak about it, right, but you could really make some headway on that one. They're just another piece of I would say advice there just an additional thought.
Speaker 1: One thing.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for coming on. Man, this has been a ton of fun.
Speaker 1: Before any organization. I made this mistake in the past. Before you join any organization, look at who funds them, because that's the direction they will go. Yeah, let me tell you, you'd be surprised how many how many conservation organizations are funded by Qatar and more. Yeah uh huh.
Speaker 2: But in all serious disaspand this has been a ton of fun. It is weird and not a bad way, but to talk to you on air because I'm not quite used to it, and I'm used to just doing random stuff around my house and together you on the phone.
Speaker 1: That's why I'm so rambling. Probably you saw the phone calls good fact.
Speaker 2: Look man, I've made a career out of rambling into a microphone, so you'll get no criticism for me. As far as my stuff, Jay Burden Show, Apple, Spotify, YouTube, anywhere you want to listen to podcasts. Do you want to support me? It's what I do. I depend on your support. It's like five bucks a month on Patreon, Substack or gum Road.
Speaker 1: Not a bad deal.
Speaker 2: It comes out to like twenty some cents per hour of content, which is I'm gonna be honest, I should be charging you people more. Anyway, Braxton, it's a ton of fun. Everyone at home, keep your head up.
Speaker 1: Good night.
Speaker 3: That's that's what's the Bagariagary program.