Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure how many of our listeners are into TikTok, meaning they utilize it or they just use it for entertainment, but it has been a big story in recent weeks, says one of the most popular platforms in the world will no longer be available to us here in the United States. And what I really remember about I guess the realization that TikTok was a huge thing that was clearly going to be a dominant social media platform was when it passed YouTube for the average time spent on the average time each experience you have when you open up the app or with YouTube, it's little differ because you obviously use apps, but you could also use YouTube on computers and whatnot. TikTok, I guess it's the same thing, but it's probably ninety nine point nine percent used on apps or used as an app on somebody's phone. So when people were spending more time there than YouTube per experience, I mean, that's now it doesn't sound as crazy, but I remember hearing that a few years ago. I'm thinking, Wow, I'm not the only one that just sometimes ends up there and two hours goes by and I'm like, wow, that was a real big waste or was it because I was actually entertained, wasn't productive, Probably should have been doing something different. But I've gotten lost within TikTok many many times, and I am going to be sad if in fact we can't utilize it anymore. But for me, it doesn't impact my livelihood. It just is something that I now do to entertain myself that won't be there and technically, like you can still do the same kind of thing elsewhere with Instagram reels and even like even Twitter now or x. If you go to a video and you just leave it playing until the end, it actually just goes to a different video and you scroll through it. It's basically like an I don't know if the algorithm what makes TikTok so cool is that it quite literally understands what you want to see. Like that's how it keeps you because the algorithm knows you really well. It's almost as if maybe they've got like some chip planet in your brain or something like that. I say that jokingly, but it is insane to me, Like I'll think of a guy I haven't seen on TikTok in a while, and boom, I'm scrolling through and there he is. It's just crazy how that works. So anyways, I bring all this up because apparently both Trump and Biden are looking for ways to keep TikTok around. This is according to this is from Washington Post. It says President elect Trump is reportedly considering an executive order that would save TikTok from a ban or sale. The Washington Post reports the order would suspend enforcement of the TikTok ban or sale low or sale law for sixty to ninety days. So again, that was what I was thinking was best case scenario, that they're just gonna keep kicking it down the road to see if they can figure something out. But I guess they've kind of already done that. I feel like, I mean, this is it's been out there that we may lose TikTok in America for at least a year, I feel like, but I feel like some days the day unless they get this done.
Speaker 3: I feel like this also was a thing like during Trump's last year, like in twenty twenty. As we're heading into twenty twenty one, that that was something he also wanted to ban. So I feel like that it's always kind of been polluted out into the air, but the actual action just happened just you know, of them trying to facilitate and go through with it. Was just here recently in the last year, but I remember that being a talking point during Trump's first presidency.
Speaker 2: Yeah, social media is really at a weird place right now because it's clearly still always going to be a big thing. But I don't know which platform is really in a good place. Like X is just a humongous world of trolls and misinformation, but you know, entertaining and people star Boss Yeah, yeah, and that for a social media platform to be such a player in the game, if you know what I'm saying, Like clearly it's one of the bigger ones out there, Twitter and X It's it's owned by Elon Musk. No platform has ever had this big of an issue with that, like the bot stuff, Like they have no way, Like people are able to create fake profiles in the masses in a way that that I've never seen anywhere else. I mean, it happens on Facebook, it happens everywhere, to be honest with you. But but with X it's been it's been worse than it's it's worse than I've ever seen anywhere. And then Facebook is awful right now, like Facebook and Instagram is just nothing, but it's something that ads like. You don't see any of the stuff you want to follow into me. The algorithm is not it's not all that legit. So TikTok I feel like is thriving. But again we may not have it after Sunday. So there you go. All right, it's coffee and company, five o'clock hour here on a Thursday afternoon. Appreciate you hanging out with us. Two hours in the books. We've got one more to go, and I hope to finished strong as you could expect. We're still talking about how fun at least I am. I mean, I'm sure others are an agreement, but Louislle basketball this year, man, it's been a fun ride so far. And there are more and more signs that this team isn't just doing better than where we were the previous few seasons. They're not just you know, taking advantage of a down acc I mean, they are doing those things, but I think they're good. I think the way they're playing right now. Defensively, the consistency they have with the production again, different leading scorers at a high clip every night. I mean they are really really in a groove. And then when you have nights like Tuesday at Syracuse where you shoot the hell out of the ball, I mean that's when you're really dangerous when you get chucki Hebberg going what six of nine from three, I mean, an insane stat line. So I think this team is really really starting to show that they're not just making the most out of what they have. They got a chance to maybe get a decent seat and maybe win a few games in this thing. I mean, you never know, right things could change and maybe they have a phenomenal finish and we get to the tournament and we realize, man, the ACC being weak really hurt us. Who knows, But all I know is I'm enjoying it as of right now. And some numbers I mentioned earlier that just kind of highlight how how well this group's playing right now. Rain Smith currently leads all Power five players in total three point field goals made and three point field goals made per game. He's made sixty I'm sorry, sixty five to three pointers. So he's making three point six per game and shooting thirty nine percent. James Scott, he doesn't score whole lot of points, but when he does, how do they come? Dunks? He dunks the ball and he currently is sixth in the country in overall dunks as far as total and dunks per game. And as we referenced earlier, rain Smith right now would break Taekwon Dean's record for three point field goals made per game in a season if its season ended today. Going to be to maintain that that that number for rain Smith, but wouldn't be shocked if he does. Also James Scott, he won't break Montrez Harrol's record because I'm not sure anybody will, but as of right now, his dunks per game average would be third in school history. So again, those aren't things that like mean a whole lot as far as this team and how good they are. But we know Louisvill's had some really good players on some really good teams that have done some awesome things. There's some guys right now and play that are that are right there with them, and I know those teams that little you know a lot of those guys played on some great teams, but and I don't know how great this Louisville team is. What I do know is that as of right now, they've played a really tough schedule, right, the non conference portion of the schedule was loaded, And even if the ACC is down, which it is, you've played the toughest teams in the league already. So like, as of now, you've played a pretty damn tough schedule compared to everybody else. Now it'll get it'll get lighter throughout the rest of the season. Which again, that's that's that's what makes this whole thing awesome, meaning like they should continue to keep winning, and that's gonna be a lot of fun, a whole lot of fun. All Right, we'll get to the phone lines coming up here in just one second. I certainly want to make sure we discuss this Bill Belichick situation where maybe maybe he doesn't want to go to the college level. He didn't sign a contract. Obviously, there's some jobs open, one big job open the Dallas Cowboys, So I would not be shocked at all if this ends up falling apart, because I'll go back to the day that Belichick decided to pursue the Carolina job, and he got hired. This just doesn't make any sense to me, Like I'll believe it when I see it. Even when it was reported he was at a press conference it was official. I still find it unbelievable that he's going to coach college football, where the game is clearly a lot different now than it's ever been. And I just feel like Belichick's style of coaching in every way is such a non fit right now with the NFL and in college. I mean, he's not going to be able to just be a grouchy boss and yell at people and be miserable like that. That won't work anymore. But as of now, he's still the coach at Carolina, I guess technically, but again, he doesn't have a contract. It's it's odd, all right, Babo. Two five is the number if you want to give us a call, and we will now welcome in Steve. Steve, how are we doing?
Speaker 4: Good?
Speaker 5: Afternoon?
Speaker 4: Nick?
Speaker 5: How are you today?
Speaker 4: Good?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 5: Listen a couple of quick points. I think that Bill Belichick won't go to the Cowboys. I just think he and Jerry Jones would probably last about fifteen minutes together.
Speaker 4: You're probably right, but I don't know a lot you go there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my main reason for calling is to ask you, since you have your fingers on the pulse of Louisville the football team, why do you think Jeff bram has decided Apparently I could be wrong, but decided to keep Ron English. It's question given the last couple of games of the season and the amount of points and yarready that Washington State dropped on them, I just what is your what are your thoughts on that situation?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Steve, I'll say this, I think Jeff is taking a big risk here because you've seen it play out in two seasons where the defense one just wasn't consistent in the first year and this year they were a big problem. They were a liability. And I've Ron English hasn't done enough good to where you feel like there's a really high ceiling there. And I can't prove this, It's just my opinion. I believe that when the def the players are always going to be held accountable to an extent, but I feel like some of the big issues Lowell's defense has had in the last couple of years, I don't think it's been because they didn't have players that were good enough. I think it's because of how they were led, maybe a bad strategy, bad game plan, miscommunication just I mean, heck, there's been mass confusion out there, so the defense as a whole. The numbers like they've they're not great, but it's not a number that would be like a fireable offense. And a lot of times when you win ten games and then you win nine, you wouldn't expect to be making changes at the coordinator position. But I worry that next year's offense is going to be so good, but we're gonna find out that they got to score forty two or more because the defense may just again they're just inconsistent. They've had games where they do come out ready to play and they do a pretty good job, but then you see just the exact opposite the next week, which again it's always going to be on the players to an extent, but when you have that kind of inconsistent inconsistency, I think that's the coach. I just I don't know what Jeff would lose by getting rid of Ron English. You could certainly do worse, but I don't know if you feel good about the ceiling with him leading you on defense. I think louis has had some good defensive players the last couple of years and we just haven't got the results that you would expect.
Speaker 5: Right, Okay, Nick, I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Take care of Steve. Yeah, I mean, I don't want to pick on Ron English, but I just I mean, it's not even about he's got to go because of one specific stat, one specific game, one specific moment. It's just I think in two years time, and Jeff worked with him ye for years at Purdue as well. I don't know how. I think it might have been two years that he worked with him there, and we've discussed around English as his resume here. I mean, he was a DC at Michigan for two years, became a big name, came to Louisville for one year with Cragthorpe, then he became a head coach, was at Eastern Michigan for a while, in fact, five years, and he was awful. One of the worst records you'll see for a coach who coached five years of FBS football. He was eleven and forty six, seven and thirty in league play. So he actually had some issues on his way out as far as some allegations about, you know, not being nice to players or whatnot. So he ended up not coaching for a little while. In fact, he didn't coach for looks like three years, and then he became a d C at San Jose State for a year, Mississippi State as the safety's coach, Florida's the safety's coach for a few years. So I mean since his Michigan, since Eastern Michigan when he was a head coach. I mean, he didn't have any great jobs, and you know, he went from DC to position coach and then he kept moving around, which is not always a great Usually those are guys that are really big recruiters for you that do that. So he ends up being the co DC and defensive backs coach for Jeff in twenty twenty one. So in twenty twenty one and then in twenty twenty two, their defense improved, so Jeff said, Okay, this is working, he's got he's got it rolling. Let's bring him with me to Louisville. And the beginning of twenty twenty three, they were really good defensively, right that it was a team that was that was where they were mostly due to defense rather than offense and then it kind of fell apart and then this year they I mean it just like you can make mistakes, you can a coach can have a bad day and a bad game plan and not expect to lose his job. Like they're not perfect. But I just think it's such a risk because again, you should feel pretty good about your offense being able to score points next year, and you know that your defense shouldn't have to, you know, be the steel curtain out there, right, But I think the inconsistency and at times when they're bad, like it just it really is bad. I mean that Stanford game. I mean, I know Miami was a high powered offense, so maybe that's not a good example, but like there were there was arm tackling going on against SMU. They just had a terrible game plan and then then made some adjustments. But you know, even then you still had mass confusion, too many guys on the field. So it's kind of tricky because I don't think you could just look at numbers and data and results and say, oh yeah, no brainer, they should move on from him. I just think you kind of know what you have and continuing to keep it around. Again, this is I think this is one of the first things I said on the postgame show once they ended up surviving that game against Washington and the Sun Bowl, is that if we find ourselves in a situation next year just like that where we're thinking, oh my goodness, what is happening. The defense is crumbling, We're gonna lose this, We're gonna blow it. If that same situation is there again next year, I kind of feel like all fans will take their frustration and anger out on Brahm and not run English because like we kind of know that's what he does. That's we kind of know who he is. And yet Jeff still keeps him around, so you know, Jeff trusts him, and I hope it works out. But I'm not super confident that the defense next year will be you know, good enough, I mean good enough. And look, they don't have to be great. They just need to be reliable and they need to be consistent. And I think that's that's that's the two areas where I worry the most. All right, let's go to the text line five O two six five three zero seven ninety Llenn Federal Credit Union text line members get more at Ellenn Federal Credit Union. You can learn more and open your account today at NFC dot com. This tech says Nick, what do you think about Mayor Greenberg showing up and sitting behind the UK bench at Rupp Arena. He's the mayor of Louisville, not Lexington. I did see that. Uh in fact, some I don't know if somebody was trying to do a I gotcha moment. But and by the way, Craig is Craig Kreg Greenberg is a big Louisville fan. He's he's uel alum. He loves the cards and I can tell you that firsthand. And and why he was at the UK game, man, I don't know.
Speaker 6: Nor fellow co star on Netflix.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right. Yeah, we had a big We're big big featured very much so in that uh that Netflix special. But somebody posted a picture like somebody took a picture of their TV during the A and M and Kentucky game and you can see, uh, Mayor Greenberg and his lovely wife Rachel right there behind the bench watching the game. And I don't know, I didn't see on his social media if he was promoting that he was there, would certainly make sense that he would not, but I don't know that he was also trying to hide it. But somebody shared it and he he shared there. He shared their tweet kind of I guess, you know, calling him out that he was there and said one night only and then hashtag go cards. So look this UF people are really bothered by this. I can't say that I'm like totally shocked because we care about this kind of stuff. We're sick os when it comes to the rivalry, right and there's kind of a rivalry with the city of Louisville and the rest of the state is they're not I've never really been able to relate to that because I actually I'm a weirdo. I love the state of Kentucky. That's where my's my heritage, It's where I'm from. I think there's I mean, I know, we get a bad rap for you know, good reason at times as far as a reputation, but man, this state is special. I love it. Wouldn't want to live anywhere else. But you know, when it comes to UK, no, I'm out. I'm a Louisville fan and I live in Louisville. My address has been Louisville for you know, the majority of my life, so I don't. For me, it's just about like UK because of the rivalry and sports, but for others it's not right. Like you know, there are there were certain cities that were part of some kind of a study. This was years ago, but it didn't shock me. There, like Louisville had many people, like the percentage of people that live in Louisville, that if they could, they would remove Louisville from the state of Kentucky and put it in a different state or have it be its own state, because that's how much they don't like the state of Kentucky. So and I don't know if it was like a two way street in both, but it was an interesting read from a few years back. And I also didn't realize that the state of Illinois so badly does not want to claim Chicago in any way. I don't really know why, other than maybe you know. I mean, I'm sure there's a variety of reasons for that, but yeah, I get it. The rivalry is are real thing. So if you are bothered by that, I'm not at all can't relate, but I guess I can't say that I'm surprised, But you also have to keep in mind, he's the mayor, he's a politician. He absolutely is a big time Louisville fan, went to school there. I mean, he's he is Louisville all the way. What do they say, he's black and red till he's dead. Mayor Greenberg is, but he also is the mayor of a city that has a ton of Kentucky fans. I mean, I don't know what the actual breakdown is. We'll never know for sure. There was a study done many many, many years ago. I think it was like Courier Journal Eric Crawford days there, because I believe he's the one who. I don't know if it was a very popular article, column, whatever, it was, just because it gave us some kind of a reference point of what the percentage is as far as people in Louisville, Kentucky fans are Louisville fans, and at the time it was slightly Louisville I believe, which I could believe that, but I think Louisville fans, not all of them, but some of them, they don't. They refuse to believe that there are as many Kentucky fans in Louisville as there is. They're everywhere man, Like there's a gazillion of them seemingly across the planet, and there's a lot of them here. And again I always say, that's why this rivalry is so great here in Louisville. So because of that, like, he can't be anti UK in Louisville because again, the city of Louisville likes he's gonna have to be pro cars over the Cats, and he does that, and it's clearly his view. But even if he hated Kentucky, he wouldn't he wouldn't be wise to say that, because you know, he's a politician. That's you know. So it works, all right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. I get to more of your phone calls and texts as we keep this thing rolling along. It's coffee and company feel. But Thornton's on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety now back to coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: So Bill Belichick, as we now know it, did not sign a contractor has not sign a contract yet at North Carolina despite accepting the job a few weeks ago. And it sounds like this is not uncommon in college. But I don't I mean, is that true? Not signing a contract. But it says here, this is from CBS Sports, that this issue does introduce a great area as to how much, if any, of the ten million buy out would be paid if he does leave for the NFL. So this could just be a strategic move on Bill's part that says, look, I'm if I do get an offer from the NFL, I didn't sign anything, so therefore I can just go without anything in writing. They I mean, but but isn't that the agreement of employment? Like you you agree that you're gonna be our coach, and here's what we're gonna pay you. And then there's also a lot of things within the deal that are part of the arrangement in the situation, and one of those is that you have to pay ten million dollars if you leave, because that's that's the job we're gonna pay you. We're covering our ass a little bit here by making sure we'll get ten million from somebody if you bolt on us.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So what is this. I'm just taking his word for it.
Speaker 2: I guess. I mean, but like he's like that that's not a mistake, you know what I mean, Like, that's not, oh, well, forgot to sign it. Like there's clearly he's like Bill Belichick is doing this to leave an option open for him. I'm sure there's no other reason why he wouldn't sign it. But two things are going to happen. He'll sign it or they'll probably force the issue. And if he doesn't sign it, like maybe maybe he isn't going to be their coach because they're they're idiots if they let this ride right like you, I mean, because he could I mean technically, right now, he could leave and nobody pay anything and next year maybe he has one really good season at North Carolina. Although I don't know when you when you, But again, maybe that's why you put that ten million dollar buyout in there, because you realize, man, this guy may not even be here that long. He's eighty. I mean, he's not that old, but he's old, and he may just be using us to get another opportunity in the NFL. Well, we'll bring him on knowing all those things, but with some protection here a ten million dollar buyout. But if he hadn't signed it, then, I mean, I guess there's really nothing set in stone. Like I think they were stupid for hiring him anyway, to be honest with you, but they decided to do it, and I don't see a scenario where this is like a good thing, like long term. But I've been wrong many times before. Maybe I'll be wrong about that. All right, Before we get to the phone lines, I have to share with you one of my one of my favorite moments so far in the college basketball season that I'm sure none of you were aware of or care about. But this is hilarious to me. This is one of those things that just makes college sports different and fun. So Maine the Main the Main Bears. I think it's the main Block. There's the Main Black Bears. I think that's the name of their mascot. They are a Division I school. I think they're in like the Northeast Concert in North Northeast Conference. But uh, they played a game today against in j I T. Austin. Putting you on the spot, can you tell me the name of the school that is in j I T. What does it stand for?
Speaker 6: Let me guess, New Jersey Instrument of Technology.
Speaker 2: Institution of Technology. Yes, and you got it? Oh, good job, got it. It sounds the top of this dome right now, what's the what's the movie with Justin Long where they make up college. It's like when Jonah Hill first becomes is it called accepted? I think it's called accepted?
Speaker 6: I think so, yeah, the fake college.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the fake college. That sounds like like I don't know what it was called. I'm gonna look it up. Accepted name, accepted college name? Movie?
Speaker 6: What was it?
Speaker 2: What was it called? It was the South Harriman Institute of Technology. So this is the uh, this is the New Jersey instrode Technology, which is again a real school. So they played a college basketball game today, like already it's over, So I'm sure this is part of like the way they have to hustle to keep the lights on at a place like that. But what they did is they had a bring the kids to the game like field trip. So these two teams played Maine and n J played earlier today and a really close game, and the only people that were there were school kids. Different schools brought buses, so it was a field trip for the local schools. And honestly, it's not a terrible idea if I'm being honest, because I mean, minor league teams do stuff like this all the time. The low level colleges that need people to show up to their games and buy tickets, Like you got to get creative, I mean in a major way. So they might have, in all honesty, had one of their bigger crowds just because there's a bunch of kids there. I mean, how many people you think are showing up to a main NJ game on a random Wednesday night. Probably not many, but there's a bunch of busses full of kids. So I bring this up because of this. It was a big time, big time finish here. This is the This is the last play, or at least one of the last plays. Never the backboard five o'clock open for three on the rebound, got it?
Speaker 6: And that's Lopez unless you have the shush to the crowd.
Speaker 2: So the reason I bring this up is because the guy calling the game is not there. He's calling it from zoom, which isn't that uncommon anymore in broadcasting, But like they don't even they don't even like hide that anymore, Like ESPN. This is on ESPN Plus, they just got like a webcam up with a score bug and there's this guy in the corner on a camera like not in the shot, but like he's on his think of a zoom window. When you're on a zoom call. That's how they're calling the game. That's the level we're talking about. But think about what he just said there. He just shushed the crowd. Yes, mains aj Lopez hit a big three to beat in j I T and then shush the entire crowd made up entirely of school children on a field trip.
Speaker 3: Fantam just talking a bunch of eight year olds.
Speaker 6: Hope give to the crowd.
Speaker 2: I mean that's great, isn't it. That's fantastic, And there's no scenario a minute left into the game that he didn't realize that that everybody they're watching is a young child, Like I kind of love it.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: You show up, you show up in my domain where I go to work. This is what you're gonna get.
Speaker 3: Just to think it's probably like a bunch of Fortnite robots playing kids that are just like trolling you.
Speaker 6: And he's just like so bent up about it.
Speaker 2: He's got to, yeah, call their mom and tell him to come pick him up if they need to go home, because because this is this is what we do here at at Maine. Actually Maine went into n J I t I wouldn't expect a kind of energy from Maine. When I think Maine, I think Cooper flag now and I think cold and happy people. I don't know, Maine seems like a nice state. I feel like people would be nice for May.
Speaker 3: Maybe I'm a very forgotten state. Not trying to jab at anyone from Maine, but it's like it's I answered a there is like a trivia question when I went to trivia last week and the answer was Maine. And I just thought of literally every other Northeast state, but like, I just miss Maine.
Speaker 2: What do you think are the most like obscure states? Maine's, Maine's certainly up there, just because it's literally up there on its.
Speaker 3: Own, and Maryland maybe because that's right around like New York and like Rhode Island.
Speaker 6: It's like now a place that you really.
Speaker 2: See see those like Vermont, Rhode Island, those real small states. Vermont certainly very like Vermont's one you'll just forget, like you know what I mean, Like if you're listing them all and you're and you're missing a few, and you got a reference and figure out which ones you can't think of?
Speaker 6: Vermont.
Speaker 2: Vermont's probably in there. Yeah, any any any state that has two versions of it, you easily remember, like North Dakota, South Dakota, North Carolina, South Carolina, Delaware, it's like a, yeah's honestly, Delaware may be Delaware is ahead of A is ahead of Vermont. Really, I would say so, because because Delaware I can't think of. I cannot tell you a single thing about And maybe that maybe just because I'm a dumb ass, but like, who knows anything about Delaware? I know I don't, And I think when you're a smaller state, which I'm not even sure how small Delaware is, but like those small states are easy to forget. I don't think you know, people spend a whole lot of time traveling to the Dakotas or to like why Own, But like those states are those states are humongous as far as size. So therefore, you know, you know that that little area where all the small states on the northeast are like, it's it's very easy to forget those places. But I'm sure they're beautiful. I'm sure they are.
Speaker 3: I was driving through Philadelphia last year when me and Billy went to WrestleMania, and I guess it's a little bit north of Philadelphia. But you see like Delaware like whatever, thousand whatever, one hundred miles away like in the next exit, and it just it just occurred to me, Delaware forgot that that.
Speaker 6: Was a state.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not that literally is exactly what just happened with you when you mentioned Delaware. I'm like, oh, wait a second, is that that is a state? Right? Like I forgot it existed? But yes, it is in fact the state?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 2: Five two if I have seven one seventy nine hundred is the number if you want to jump in and give us a phone call, and we will go back to the phone lines now and welcome in AC. How are you AC?
Speaker 4: I'm good, I'm thinking so much for my call.
Speaker 2: What's happening?
Speaker 4: Yes? I want to talk about a label Cardinals, because you talked about probably like twenty min twenty five minutes talk about the Cardinals football. Can I chime on? Can I chime in? Okay, here's the thing about your Cardinals, including Kentucky Walcott. How embarrassing. I need to talk about the bad defense? How embarrassing? This is what I found. It's so embarrassing. SMU went to the playoffs then you had Arizona State. Matter of fact, these are the two teams who make their debut that on their respective conference. How embarrassing that Louisville did not even make it? But check this out. How embarrassing is that Indiana Hoosiers they made it to the playoffs, but Kentucky and Louisville they never did. So I think you know how people talk about Ryo. People should scrutinize Ryan Day, what's his name, Kirby Smart, the big time coaches. I think you should put Jeff brim and what's his name? Stoops in that category too. You get millions of dollars and you cannot produce. And now it's not fourteen playoffs, it's twelve teen playoffs. So sure I'll get them at press this he's done. What's your excuse me?
Speaker 2: Thank you for the call, AC. I appreciate a lot, A lot to unpack there, my man. I really don't know where where we were going there. I know SMU making it to the So is it embarrassing? Who is it embarrassing for that SMU made it? I guess Louisville in Arizona State. That I a lot to unpack there, But uh yeah, I would say Jeff Brohm's going to get a pass from fans for not making the playoff in his second season as the coach, but maybe I'm wrong.
Speaker 3: Also got a text from our guy in sales, Joe. He said, Vermont is the home of Ben and Jerry's.
Speaker 2: Shout out Ben and Jerry.
Speaker 6: If you like ice cream, there you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I wouldn't have remembered that, but now that Joe has informed us, I'm that's when That'll be the one thing I think of when I think of Vermont now is they got Ben and Jerry's. In fact, our man, the company man, John Olden, he recently went on vacation, I guess towards the end of the summer, and I think he might have went to Vermont.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty sure it was because he's doing the thing with his wife where they go to a random place everything, and that's awesome. Yeah, I think that's a great idea.
Speaker 2: I don't know what it is about a road trip where I don't know where I'm going that makes it a lot of fun. Like there's certain places cities that obviously I love and I go to as much as I can because I enjoy them, and I know what I'm getting into. I've been there before. But the spontaneousness of hitting the road and ending up in a place you didn't expect you to be because you just kind of stopped for the night and you ended up having fun or just going to a play shoot you didn't have any expectation for. So I'll give you an example this. There's nothing I can sell you on why this place is great, and I'm not really sure that it is. But when LOUISLL played in the NAA Tournament the last time, which was in twenty nineteen, Yeah, twenty nineteen, they were in the first round matchup against Minnesota, and the game was played in Des Moines, Iowa. And I'd never I knew nothing about Iowa, knew nothing about Des Moines, Iowa. I had no expectation. I guess, if anything, maybe low expectation because I'm just thinking, like I have no clue what to expect. It can't be that great because I don't hear a lot of people saying they're going to Iowa. But I made the trip, and I think because the bar was low and I had no clue what to expect, Like I ended up exploring, having some fun, pretty good bar scene there, so you know, don't want to mislead you like I'm some crazy partier that's just stopping anywhere and taking over a town. But there is something awesome, like what I wanted to do when I turned thirty and I'm only thirty seven this summer. We talked about this a lot on the show at the time, which is crazy to think it's been that long, But on my thirtieth birthday, I wanted to rent a car and drive across the country and then fly back and just not really have a whole lot of planning, right like I'll know in the vicinity of where I want to get to one day, stop in this city, stop in that place. But I just wanted to go on a long road trip that lasted many many days as I trek across the country and at that time, like I would have never done it by myself ever, and my wife, you know, she's she's great, but she she kind of she kind of talked me out of doing it and wouldn't do it with me and then told me that you know, it wouldn't be safe for me to do it, and then she just booked us a trip somewhere else and I'm like, oh, okay, well that's fine. But now that I'm older, when I turn forty, if I haven't done it yet, I'm gonna do it then. And she's either with me or she's not. And we're gonna hit the road and we're gonna have We're gonna and who knows, maybe I go north John or or Austin. Maybe I go north and lay my hat in Vermont or Delaware. I mean, maybe that's maybe that's where I end up somewhere like that could be. Maybe maybe I hid all the way up to Maine.
Speaker 6: All that.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's technically the mains the head of the United States, right when you think of.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the most northern part for sure. Yeah, there you go. Good stuff.
Speaker 6: That's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: All right, let's take our last break. We'll come back here on the other side and we will finish strong. Certainly some more to get into, including some high school sports news, which we rarely talk about. But there's some teams here locally that are going to be switching districts, which reminds me that they changed that stuff all the time, and I don't know why. Also, there was apparently some meeting today in Lexington, which with the KHSAA Julian tack At the Commissioner. He talked about the transfer issue that is going on in high school. Yes, it's an issue. There's not a portal, but transferring is an issue in the high school levels as well, and it's mostly due to athletics. And I mean, I know people don't like it, but kids should be able to go if kids should be able to move and play wherever they want their kids. Quick break it's Coffee and Company fuel about Thornt's on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety Now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: I don't find myself oftentimes being desperate to play devil's advocate and go against the grain, but I do feel like this is one of those things that I am I am in the minority on when it comes to transfer, not just for college kids but high school kids too. So the portal is clearly it's chaotic, and you you know, they should have a little bit more regulation as far as what it is like you shouldn't be able to transfer mid season, like there should be more rules, but the overall ability to be able to decide where you want to play, you should be able to do that and not be penalized by losing a year of eligibility and sitting out or really sitting out at all. Like that shouldn't be a thing because these are students right now. Again, it's all going to change, and it already has. But I mean, technically, even whenever they're going to be getting rev share, which they start next year, college athletes will share revenue with the university they play for, they're still not going to be considered employees. But what I'm getting at is if Johnny and the Band or Bobby in the Debate Club wanted to switch schools, you think they're gonna make them sit out. No, the reason that that rules, those rules have ever existed is because of competition. But it should be consistent, Like there's why because a team may lose their best player, you shouldn't be able to go play elsewhere. Like it just doesn't make any sense, but it's always been that way, Like people are real adamant about. There's so many Like the reason I'm bringing this up is because today Julian Tack at the KHSAA Commissioner and you mentioned there where a total of Yeah, KJSA Commissioner Julian Attacket. This is from Jason Franks of the Courier Journal. He says the Julian Tacking says the number of transfers are up over last year, with eight hundred and twenty seven transfers processed already during this school year, which of course is just midway through, so not a surprise. But a lot of it is because of athletics. And you shouldn't be able to go to school at a place where you don't live, like that's illegal actually, But if your parents move and you you move to play at a school because you just simply want to go there and play basketball, they should not tell you that you have to sit out. And there's other I mean, and what's happened with KHS Double A over the years is what's happening with the NABA Now. I know a lot of kids that have been able to just hire a lawyer in the Nuba caves and let the or in the KHS DOUBLEA caves and lets them do whatever they're trying to do because they know they don't have a legal right to tell them that they can't do that. So just like you know, there's some similarities there, so it is, you know, prop like kids who transfer in high school. I'd say there's a not all of them, but I'd say it's more likely that in high school you're transferring because you're having a hard time realizing that you're not as good as you thought you'd be, or that you know you're not your parents you know aren't aren't aware that you're not a star, and you're transferring because you're not getting enough playing time and you're coming off the bench or something like that. That clearly happens in the college level as well, but I'm sure some transfers from the high school r for doing it to because they want to play for a better program. But I think now you probably see a ton of transfers because mommy and daddy think that the coach is picking on him by not having them in the starting line or something like that, or not being the starting quarterback. So it's probably something that in the end it's going to be a regret later in life. But it still doesn't mean people shouldn't be able to do it. But yeah, it's become a real thing to where you've got even in Louisville here, I know there are high school kids that are notable because they are some of the better players in the city of Louisville and obviously have some college interest. And you know, it's not uncommon to know of a guy that played and had a really good year, a really good career high school wise in this area and he played for two or three different schools. I mean, that's not super common, but it's also not that uncommon anymore either where you went to school Austin and Arizona, did they like what was your like? Were you all like, was it one school in the county? Were you part of a big school system? I guess you could call it a big school as to an.
Speaker 3: Extent the TUSD Tuson Unified School disc gotcha.
Speaker 2: So the reason ask is because they're reshuffling the districts, like some schools are moving from one district to another. They're remapping it, I guess. And it's got a local tie to me here because the twenty third district now includes Bullet Central, North, Bullet Southern, and more, which is that that's the district North Bullets and but they've added Bullet East and now evangel is going to the twenty fourth district, which is Dubois Academy, evangel Christian Fern Creek, Jaytown, Mercy, and Whitfield Academy. So I'm sure nobody cares or thinks about this at all, But for years I think it might have been right after I graduated high school, not all the Bullet County schools have been in the same district, which makes no sense at all. Like, again, you probably don't aren't real familiar with the area out there, but there can't be many many schools out there that are sharing a county but not in the same district. And they've never really known what to do with the Bullet County schools. Are they Louisville? Are they fifth region? They were eighth region for a long time. But I think it makes more sense to have all the county schools in the UH in the same district. And now they're doing it once again. I feel like these schools have moved around a ton. All right, we're out of time. Talk to you tomorrow.
Speaker 6: Mm hmmmm mmmmmmmmmmm.