Speaker 1: Welcome, dear listener, and thanks for joining us. And I'm Stephen, and.
Speaker 2: This is a podcast all about the weird and wonderful world of the dark comedy anthology series Inside number nine.
Speaker 1: On each episode, we'll be diving into another one of Steve Pemberton and Reese Shearsmith's twisted tales, putting it under a lens and examining it within an inch of its life.
Speaker 2: So make yourself comfortable, grab a cup of tea, and join us for the ninth degree.
Speaker 1: Hello, No, let me say that again. That was really camp. I'm trying a sort of injective bit of energy and then.
Speaker 2: I'm just like hello, speaking yes exactly.
Speaker 1: I can go on as an outtake, hello.
Speaker 2: Hello, Hello, how are you doing?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I was gonna say ticking along, but I said it every week.
Speaker 2: We have such thrilling lives, don't I know? What have you been at to? Anything exciting?
Speaker 1: Took my partner to the theater at the weekend for his birthday present. Went to see Waitress, Oh Nice, one of his top favorite musicals and it also starred his one of his favorite performers, carry Oute Fletcher.
Speaker 2: I've heard of her, Yes, I don't know who she is, but her.
Speaker 1: She is Tom Fletcher of mcflyer's sister.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I didn't, Yes, I remember.
Speaker 1: Now Yeah, and yeah, he absolutely like worships her for some reason. I mean she was very good, good.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I don't know anything about it. I assume it's about a waitress, but it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's based on a film actually, as a lot of musicals are these days. But is it's set in America and a diner and this waitress who's in an abusive marriage and she's got no money, and then she finds out she's pregnant, and it's like she wants to sort of find a way to sort of escape this horrible life for the baby and for her and everything. So sounds quite miserable when you get that. But there, it's a lovely show.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you're enjoying the very sort of.
Speaker 1: Country vibes to it, which he loves as well. So good, how about you.
Speaker 2: No, not a lot of hair, No nothing exciting, No games like look forward to this weekends? That would be fun. Yeah, that's good, but nothing nothing at the moment.
Speaker 1: Shall we reveal last week's hair?
Speaker 2: Indeed, it was one of yours? Yes, did a little dumpling, but no, it was.
Speaker 1: It was a good time, just you know, coming in and sitting on the carpet singing, Hey diddle diddle dumplings and gravy in the lunch hole.
Speaker 2: Weldne thank you.
Speaker 1: I'm really curious with these sort of much slightly more obscure ones if they become easier to get or harder to get.
Speaker 2: Yeah, message in, let us know how you find that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's no. I did get a few messages about the Bernie Clifton's dressing room one. Oh good, someone said, oh fiendishly audacious hair this week or something like that.
Speaker 2: It was a really good one.
Speaker 1: But yes, we're here this week for Well You tell.
Speaker 2: Us, Series seven, Episode three, nine Lives Cat hard as nails. Detective Inspector Katrina, a divorce and single mum, is determined to crack the case of a missing boy. But there's also her drinking, her love life, and her in a demon's She doesn't want help, but it turns up anyway.
Speaker 1: That sums up the whole episode and leaves nothing out.
Speaker 2: Doesn't it. Just yeah, yeah, in it's your thoughts.
Speaker 1: I think my thoughts are quite complicated.
Speaker 2: Actually, right, like, yeah, same.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I appreciate it and I think it's clever. Yeah, but do I enjoy it is another question.
Speaker 2: I'm sort of the same. I'm not really sure that she's going to go today.
Speaker 1: Okay, we shall see.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I like it for what it's doing, and it's how different it is. Well, I think it's well executed. I'm not sure, but I get very confused, and I'm going to sound thick, but yeah, oh no, I.
Speaker 1: Don't think so. I think, you know, sometimes we sort of dance about show, we talk about the twist or not, but I think we'll just sort of be yeah, exactly. And I think for me, I think what I find difficult about it is because of the nature of it that you've got a story within a story within a story of you know, these layers of characters and fakeness. Each layer has to be a little bit more two dimensional to make it work with the structure. Yes, so when especially when you start with Katrina and it's like she's the innermost Russian doll of this these fictional characters, She's so two dimensions. And I know that's the whole point. I know they make her two dimensional and cliched, but I just it just as you're watching it, it's very hard to connect and sort of care.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially when it's only one character that's that bottom level. Yeah, someone that was a bit new to this and didn't real No, this is your first ever episode, you might go yes, well she said, why if they hired her?
Speaker 1: She's awful exactly, And obviously when you get to the end, you kind of look back and you think, oh, that makes sense and that's quite clever. Yeah, but I just think, yeah, like I said, it's hard. It's kind of hard to watch and not particularly enjoyable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Sophie that plays Katrina. They've been trying to get hers since like series three or something, and she's just too busy, Like, yeah, couldn't get her in. And then Steve apparently apologized to her, being like, we're really sorry that we finally got you in to do this and you've got such a cliche character, and she's like, I've played worse, don't worry.
Speaker 1: But also she's quite I think she's quite good casting because she seems like the sort of actress that you would get to play like a that sort of detective character in an ITV drama or something.
Speaker 2: I can totally see it. Yeah, yeah, sort of grizzled, struggling with Drake goalie sorts of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because yeah, on first few week that's what I guess we think we're watching and is some sort of drama about this disgraced detective.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so ITV And that's not in a good way.
Speaker 1: No, I was gonna say, is that a compliment or not? No?
Speaker 2: No. And the fact that later they're pitching to ITV for the filming rights of.
Speaker 1: It, well, I feel like it tv is always uses a bit of a punchline on BBC shows, Yeah, and vice versa.
Speaker 2: Probably probably.
Speaker 1: I always remember that bit in Doctor Whom Blink when they say about Sparrow and Nightingale the game ITV is. I find it curious that she puts Coca pops in the cat bowl. M m, yes, she just doesn't care.
Speaker 2: She doesn't care. Plus, I wonder if it's a nod to the author has researched her that little that he doesn't he's not even research the fact that cats are allergic to chocolate and this would kill the cat. I don't know if that was intentional or whether it's.
Speaker 1: Just is that true? I thought that was just dogs.
Speaker 2: No, it's cats and dogs apparently, is it.
Speaker 1: Well, I've had cats on my life, but I've never fed them chocolates, so I haven't had to worry about it.
Speaker 2: That's good. Yeah. Yeah, I mean I don't know if there is actually any chocolate in Coca pops, but.
Speaker 1: Something chocolate is adjacent, something pretending to be chocolate. Yeah. Also, obviously it's just the thing of like her kitchen only literally has cocoa pops and vodka in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that has to make do. Yeah, that would be awful. I can't imagine that being nice.
Speaker 1: No, but it is. It is that kind of cliche, isn't it of Like, yeah, it's like a sad, pathetic life that she's sitting there eating Coca Pops in vodka.
Speaker 2: At least get Bailey's.
Speaker 1: And then I do quite like how so Steve appears, and he appears like quite a lot throughout these first scenes, just sort of talking to her, And I like the way that he's introduced, like we're not told who he is and we just have.
Speaker 2: To infer and he's just there.
Speaker 1: You obviously assume he's like a colleague mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the fact that he just appears and that no one questions it as well, Yeah exactly is a bit unnerving. Yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 1: I suppose Yeah, on first viewing, one of the things you might be wondering is is this one of those stories maybe a bit like Twelve Days of Christine where yeah, you're sort of you're dipping in and out and like she's having blackouts and you don't really know like you're seeing it from her perspective, but is she missing huge chunks when he says about, oh, you know, I haven't seen you for months, yeah, and she says it was only the other day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think they're playing on the fact that you're connected to Twelve Days of Christine. Yeah, and assume there's some there's something a bit more realistic going on, not so abstract. Yeah, And the fact that he never it's just like he's interrogating her the whole time, Like he doesn't actually say anything himself, Like everything is just him bouncing.
Speaker 1: Off with about her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he doesn't add anything new to the conversation. It's all what she has to say, saying he then responds to that.
Speaker 1: So it is it is a nice one for a rewatch in that way, when you know from the beginning, he's the author, well supposedly within this area, he's the author and the questions he's asking because you know, I can sort of see that, you know, writers having almost a dialogue with their own characters.
Speaker 2: What would you say right now? Kind of yeah, when you've got the writer's block and you don't know what to say next, you can imagine them imagining the conversation, which is essentially what's happening here.
Speaker 1: We've got Kidney Spears and David Mawi.
Speaker 2: I love a good pun. I like them. I like them a bit of a mouthful. But well, yeah, so we just get yet more just more stock cliche. It's such a basic story that she's living through here, of missing child, blah blah blah blah blah, like the lack of imagination. It's crazy, it's very basic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've also written down just like almost every line she says, it's a cliche.
Speaker 2: M hm, none of it's original. No, even to the point where she quotes prime she says the word prime suspect. Oh yeah, And then on a second watch, she realized, but Ezra's I'd rather be helping with our inquiries, like I'd rather use a better word than that, because yes.
Speaker 1: To be fair, like, you know, an actress of Sophie's caliber and then giving her this kind of part. But she does do it very well, like the.
Speaker 2: Kind of oh yeah, like.
Speaker 1: We said, all the cliched lines and stuff, like she she gives them conviction, but also with a slight sense of this is so crap.
Speaker 2: With a lesser actor, you, yeah, it wouldn't have been watchable exactly, Yeah, it would have been so cringey to sit through this, but yeah, she sells it. This is my favorite section of it when it's when it's cat Oh is it like so like I love all the little lines that they have, so like when she says something about the suspects or whatever and Ezra says, I'm still in the process of fleshing out their stories. Oh i'd notice that.
Speaker 1: That's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that it works both ways of yeah, just all these little bits when you don't quite know what's going on and it's a little bit confusing, and well, it's.
Speaker 1: A good choice having it be a police thing because there's a lot of crossover there of like you know, researching people and creating characters, the kind of a little crossover.
Speaker 2: Because ultimately until a good chunk of police work is like imagining a story and imagining what someone might have been doing and based on what you know about it. And yeah, so.
Speaker 1: She's also got a daughter, m h yeah, yeah, And I like how she tells her the story about keeping her teeth, which then comes up again later. And it's like that thing of write what you know and like putting your own personal experiences in yeah and stuff.
Speaker 2: I saw a good point someone put online about this that you don't really notice at the time. But so the daughter, how old you reckon? The daughter would have been? Oh, I don't know, she's what sort of like six ish?
Speaker 1: I suppose, yeah, because.
Speaker 2: The way she says it, remember when you lost your teeth and blah blah blah. Oh, I see she's kid, wouldn't would barely have even started losing teeth this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's a very good one. Just things that don't make sense, but.
Speaker 2: Doesn't You don't really notice it on the first one. I don't twig it now, but it's just another thing that potentially might make you feel a.
Speaker 1: Bit yeah weird because when she's talking about the teeth, she's in bed, so you can't really see how big she is then later you see her walking about, which is very creepy. Yeah, there's this like scary moment where there's something in the wardrobe.
Speaker 2: I don't get this, but I don't get that. I don't know what that's.
Speaker 1: It doesn't seem to fit.
Speaker 2: No, it's one of those things that they just put in to throw you off, yes, and to make it creepy, but that doesn't actually have a resolution later that makes it make sense. No, it's a bit like the eggs in Twelve Days of Christine, but they have a purpose.
Speaker 1: I suppose Ezra was just maybe trying an idea out.
Speaker 2: We'll say there was a twig banging at his window or something while he was asleep, and he wrote into his story.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but so yeah, we get this kind of repeating thing of her waking up suddenly, you know, sitting up, and this happens again now, and I feel it's a bit groundhog Day, like yeah, oh, here we go again, like resetting, and it's so the same exactly like I think we're supposed to probably think it's a new day, but it almost feels like, oh, this is a second, this is another draft. Now he's trying it again. Like with differences.
Speaker 2: He's taken out of the drawer and having another bash it. Yeah, yeah, see if he can make it better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you can imagine him being like, oh, you know, I quite like the waking up from a nightmare thing. I'll keep that, yeah, but then we'll do it a bit different.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The evidence is all gone from.
Speaker 2: The wall because he's realized maybe even that's too cliched.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, he's not been thinking about this project basically.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I.
Speaker 1: Think her waking up maybe is the idea waking up in his head again of you know, I wonder if I could do something with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I took it that it was opening the drawer up again and like, yeah, when he opens the drawer, she wakes back up again. Can I say? Yeah. The thing that really struck me on this and they talk about it in the podcast, So I was validated when when they said, how, how like the Legal Gentleman film it is oh yes, so yeah, so they said that the film and this episode kind of come from the same sort of origin point of what if the writers met their characters?
Speaker 1: Yes, and I really love that idea, yeah, in general, and.
Speaker 2: How it was kind of quite original at the time, back at League of Gentlemen Times anyway. Yeah, yeah, and Steve said, imagine if he came back to the office and said he'd just seen Pauline and Budgeons, Yeah, and like it looked like Pauline, No, it was Pauline, Like what would happen? Yes, and yeah, so they decided to us that off again and use that here, Yeah, and thought it might work quite well.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, it's a bit of a tangent, but that was genius in that film because like you've got the extra layer there of obviously them being the actors as well as the writers that portray them. Yeah, and they portray multiple characters, and so it's it's really bizarre having this sort of character that exists and does look like the writer and the performer in a way that is their own distinct person.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's very trippy and.
Speaker 2: The characters finding out, like her Lip for example, that his whole reason for being is the butt of a joke exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's very metai and very very interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they said that they did consider doing that. They just thought it would be funny to add another layer on and have it that Matilda wakes.
Speaker 1: Up and step Yeah. I was thinking that they should have done it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that would have worked really well. Of like a knock on the door or something and Reese is there and you pull back and it's Steve, yeah, answering the door and all of these characters. I mean, you could, even if you want, have had like throwing tubs and Edward or random other characters just running around this house. You could have actually, yeah, and imagining that they live with these characters full time. Yeah, that would have been interesting just in the last sort of thirty seconds, not even thirty seconds.
Speaker 1: But I definitely do think a final shot, at least of just recently being the final kind of layer of the cake, Yeah, would have been cool because that's kind of I guess that's kind of implied anyway.
Speaker 2: In a way. Yeah, Yeah, I think they should have done that. Personally. Yeah, I can see why people might say it's a bit cheesier or.
Speaker 1: It's jumping the shark a little bit. Yeah, but no, I feel like it would have been a nice touch.
Speaker 2: But I agree. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So we're then introduced to Reese's character barnabas Bull Barnabas Ball. So that's just trying to.
Speaker 2: Say yeah, I don't know how what it is about certain names that do just sound made up. Yeah, but that just it just sounds like a character. It doesn't. No one has that name.
Speaker 1: It does.
Speaker 2: There's no reason why they couldn't.
Speaker 1: But exactly some do just sound a bit over like thought about.
Speaker 2: I suppose the alliteration always helps.
Speaker 1: But yeah, So he's introduced as a colleague that they had supposedly she has a love hate relationship with. Yeah, although she doesn't really know who he is. He's literally just been introduced. So yeah, there's lots lots of hints that things aren't what they seem.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you might not have worked out why, but you know something weird is going on. Yeah. Yeah, we're seven series into this thing. We know there's something weird going on.
Speaker 1: So he is written as a kind of well, they call him a bit spectrumy mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Thoughts on this. I don't know whether this is acceptable, whether it's.
Speaker 1: What well, I think you can get They can get away with it because it's a story within a story within a story, So it's like that type of it's like, yeah, it's because when you realize that Ezra isn't even real, he's written autistic stereotype as a character because that's something people do, but it's it's exaggerated to the nth degree or the ninth degree. Even so, yeah, I do find it a bit. The thing I don't like is when she calls it unspecified mental illness because he says spectromy so we're obviously talking about autism, which is not a mental illness.
Speaker 2: True.
Speaker 1: So that was the one thing I took issue with was her saying mental illness. But I know what she means about unspecified. It's like you get a lot of characters, like you know, Sheldon Big Bang Theory.
Speaker 2: Where they just pick the bits they want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but yeah, that he is.
Speaker 2: He is very funny.
Speaker 1: I love the bit when she says I'm trying to think and he says, well, strictly speaking or thinking is subconscious. You can't try to think. And that reminded me of someone I think who him superedantic like that.
Speaker 2: I don't know who you're talking about. Let's move on quickly.
Speaker 1: I also liked when he left the room and Zra when he's quite a care it's like, well he's quite a character, but he's also a character.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Because that's something people say.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: They said in the podcast that Barnabas is based on Sargana Wren. Have you ever watched The Bridge? No?
Speaker 1: Oh, is that the Scandinavian.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very good, very good, Okay, but yeah, she is that stock in inverted columns spectrum type of character, okay, of unspecified whatever. I think she was one of the first like main like big, big what like that type of character. I know. Obviously Sherlock Holmes you can argue as well, but yeah, I think he was the one. She was one of the ones. The modern day ones ye have made it famous and then they started doing having lots of those types of characters.
Speaker 1: But it makes sense because you know, pattern recognition and everything like it just it does kind of make sense. You do kind of notice things.
Speaker 2: I don't know. It feels almost a bit lazy though as the writer that you just go, oh, well, this person can spot all these things. Oh yeah, And it means I don't have to worry about like putting in clever bits because they can just work it all out.
Speaker 1: But again, that's why I think it works well on this level of the thing that we're in in this because it's deep down in that it's it's a parody of a parody of a parody almost, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it loses all its nuance at this point exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's like I said at the beginning, like that's that's kind of why I find it hard to watch and get on with it, because it's it is just so m like yeah, like two dimensions, one dimensional even, you know, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for a series where they're so known for their character work, exactly.
Speaker 1: And I know, you know, people could think I'm talking rubbish because that's the whole point. And I know that's the whole point, and it all makes sense when it gets the twist comes through at the end. But I'm just saying from a point of view of actually sitting down and watching it, it's a bit like it's not gonna lie.
Speaker 2: It's a little bit of a slog a bit like Galen in oh yeah exactly, thinking out loud. How yeah, he's just like this stereotype character exactly, like deliberately bad. Yeah, it's like not do this accent like no, no you can.
Speaker 1: But intentional And the fact that it's intentional is very clever, but it doesn't make it any less gratings. Watch, Yeah, so this next section is quite interesting actually, where she starts to she really starts to question her surroundings and start to think a lot of this is not making sense, and that must be you know, for someone who, yes, she's a fictional character, but she doesn't know that, she thinks she's real. Yeah, that's quite scary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I started to wonder whether it was some sort of the chef Alzheimer's or exactly something like that. This is how it's presenting, we're being presented.
Speaker 1: It, mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just literally that is we bothered to imagine any more of her house than he absolutely has to exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I suppose you know, Okay, he hasn't flushed her out very much because he's just experimenting at this stage. But any fictional character is never going to be as fleshed out as a real human being. No, So you know, any if any character this happened to them they discovered they were a character, it would be the same, wouldn't It would be like yeah, it's like I tell you what it reminded me of. And again going down to a doctor who tangents. Sorry listeners, if you're not into doctor I.
Speaker 2: Know where you're going.
Speaker 1: But Forest of the Dead yes with Donna. Yes, I love that episode and that the moment when you know she people starts pointing out to her that you know, your children aren't real and stuff, and she's sort of she's very resistant to it, but then they you know that she can't, they just disappear. Yeah. Then it reminded me of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, also a Steve episode.
Speaker 1: Weirdly, oh yes, but yeah, I can't imagine. It's a very cool idea, this thing of a character becoming aware that they're a character.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. It's like what's the most, what's the most they ever could get away with it? Like, no writer is ever going to a filled in in their mind on the paper. I guess it's got to literally be written on the paper as well for her to know it, like what's in every cupboard of the kitchen?
Speaker 1: And yeah, but no, I think even even what you're saying there, but even if it's in their head like you, I don't think the human brain is capable of creating a whole real life no, so.
Speaker 2: Not less asked no, like specifically what's in this cupboard?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then you'd have to think of it you know, yeah, and so.
Speaker 2: You could come up with it there and then, but you wouldn't have.
Speaker 1: There's always going to be gaps, like yeah, you know, they could look at their window and see nothing. Just why it's based because I wondered that, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Because they made the point of the window has always been the curtains always been drawn or BLI or whatever. I wondered if at some point they were going to open the curtains and it'd just be nothing outside.
Speaker 1: This is a lot of interesting stuff in this episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I feel like it could have been a film almost, Like there's a lot more that they could have fleshed it out with.
Speaker 1: So Ezra has come to the conclusion that this character is just not working. No, and he's going to yep, and that's the end of Cat And.
Speaker 2: That's why he's introduced Barnabas. At this point, he's tried to make her more in a friend and a colleague and on again off again love interesting.
Speaker 1: But Barnabas is better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we can go here. This might have legs. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I like how when he's realized it's a cliche and she's like I said that on page bloody one.
Speaker 2: Even she knows it's page one, exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: It's almost like it just comes out of her without realizing, like she she probably meant to say like the other day, but it just comes out of her. She knows it's page one. Yep, it's I love that. It's like now now the curtain's been pulled back, It's like it's.
Speaker 2: Just so obvious you can see it all. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And Barnabas says she's a bit generic, and she just shoots that him funk off rain Man. Yeah, yeah, I've always wanted to. I haven't watched rain Man. You'll be surprised to know.
Speaker 2: I have seen it years ago, but i'd like to.
Speaker 1: It's on my list.
Speaker 2: I can't remember a lot about it, but I don't remember it being good.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, I've heard good things about it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. This interesting scene of of Katrine not wanting to accept that she isn't real like she's having this debate ultimately boils down to if she doesn't even know her daughter's name.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I love that bit. That's really good actually.
Speaker 2: Because is not bothered to give her one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's desperately trying to produce it and she just can't m m and she goes running off to you verify that her daughter's there. Yeah, and she's got no face. Also reminded me of Forrest that did she hasn't got a face.
Speaker 2: I'm an idiot's London.
Speaker 1: But yeah, well yeah, now I was that too, But it's specifically Catherine Jake saying that, Yeah, that is a creepy bit when when the faceless child is just.
Speaker 2: Really creepy. Yeah, and I guess we put her to bed at this point for the time being.
Speaker 1: What's his name? Barnabas is going to get a three book deal? Oh yeah, Red Rags or Bull, the Bull's Eye and bull Shit in a China Shop.
Speaker 2: Hope he doesn't have more box because we're going to run.
Speaker 1: Out of exactly there are any more bull idioms of it cock and bull story. I don't want to know what happens in that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it stops, it stops being flattering at a point.
Speaker 1: Again, I know, I said, you know, the autistic stereotype and all that. It's very funny when they say about unspecified mentoror literally just runs out and stop.
Speaker 2: Shouting, stop shouting, so on the nose.
Speaker 1: On the nose, it's very funny. I think that's that's the that's what makes it so funny because they've literally just pointed out he's a stereotype, and think he just goes and does the most stereotype thing you can imagine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, sort of going over like flashing the lights on and off and on enough or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, lining up toy trains or something. Yeah. Yes, so he has to let the character go yep, and we jump forward and Ball has become a huge success. This bit makes me die with laughter. When he's on the phone talking about you know who they could get to play and just like pops up behind.
Speaker 2: It's so perfectly timed, appears out of the back.
Speaker 1: Yeah genius. Yeah, I think everyone needs a little Reee Shearsmith just popping up like the bad devil on the shoulder.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, Reese would definitely be the devil on the shoulder, and Steve would.
Speaker 1: Yes, Oh my god, I love that. Just encouraging you to call everyone. His wife Philippa comes.
Speaker 2: Home, Yeah, she lost the phone or a phone's been nicked. Yes, she will go to Waitros.
Speaker 1: That's a little dig there, could have made it little.
Speaker 2: Oh no littles the better supermarkets?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 2: Well? I don't. I don't know why I don't like Asda. I just really don't. I can never find anything in an Asda Arra Morrison's fascinating, yes, riveting conversation. Feel free to trim this out.
Speaker 1: Oh no, that's going to be the clip for social media.
Speaker 2: I have a poll on favorite supermarkets.
Speaker 1: So yes. The kind of shocking bit is that nobody has picked up their san Ashley from swimming. Yes, because somebody has sent a text to him saying that, you know, you don't speak him out, and like, who's done that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And as far as you're awareing a first watch, this is reality now exactly. So suddenly the episode takes a very dark turn. Yeah, exactly, and you're starting to think, is it some sort of real world like copycat of his story or yeah, is his story coming to life? Or what's happening?
Speaker 1: I feel like I did think on my first watch. I did. My first thought was what Kat because he's wronged her, you know, and it would make sense for her to then want revenge or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't know if I realized how, whether I assumed there would be another level to this.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I didn't think that.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I did a lot. I think I did. The second that you saw Ezra wake up in the same way that Katrina does.
Speaker 1: Yes, I was gonna say that's that's a very much a deliberate nod.
Speaker 2: Which is a long way before you get the reveal though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's nice foreshadowing. Ye, he's waking up the same way that his character was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's still something a little bit odd about that whole Who's got the Sun thing that I guess is it's probably intentional, but that doesn't quite feel real, Like that doesn't feel the same amount of panic as they should be.
Speaker 1: No, and the wife, the acting of the wife is a little bit like stilted. Yeah, And I'm like, she's doing that deliberately, Like you realize when you watch back she's doing that deliberately for the for the fictional fictionality of it. But on a first watch it is a little bit like, oh, you know what we're doing here.
Speaker 2: It should be a bit more panics than you are exactly. So.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So in the middle of the night there they're up in the night sort of panicking about all this, and then we get Misilda Gordon mm hm.
Speaker 2: That makes house calls in the middle of the night. Apparently, Oh apparently.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've not even considered that, but yeah, I just used your catchphrase.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now, I obviously you know, the final twist being that she's actually the author. Yeah, I kind of wish she hadn't introduced herself as family liaison.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 1: I wish it had been like Steve at the beginning, and she just appeared and we just had to sort of infer who she is.
Speaker 2: Infer what she was there for. Yeah, and it might seem like she's just from the police or whatever. Yeah, yeah, you'd square it in your head.
Speaker 1: And because the fact that she says she's family Laison then feels like it's just a lie just to cover it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I've got written my notes like I don't understand Matilda, like what and then why she dies? I don't, But then she isn't it I don't. Yeah, I don't really understand. I get I get what the whole point is. I get that she's like all this, but oh yeah, there's two there's a bit too much of obfiscating the truth by just sort of outright lying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is a bit weird, the fact that she dies like that, because it's like, has she become a character in her own story?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd have rather either her be vague, like you say, of this Liaison character being an entirely new character exactly. Yes, in fact, yeah, if you'd had her in an entire new character and her be really basic. And then when it cuts to the real Matilda or the writer rather yeah, go oh she isn't working. She's so so two dimensional. I don't need that character. I've killed her off. Yeah, and that's why she's died. Like, but it's the fact that it's the same person playing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is very weird.
Speaker 2: Doesn't make sense to me.
Speaker 1: No, I very much agree.
Speaker 2: So then we get the weirdness with all these characters coming together in the kitchen and I don't I don't quite know what's going on here. So these characters seem to have sentience over what's going on.
Speaker 1: Yes, I don't get any because Ezra is the one who's confused and like what's going on. He's discovering that he's not real, whereas like Philippa seems to just know that she's a character and not care.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Kat suddenly seems to think she she is, like she's got some sort of agency here, and she wants she's fully aware that she's a character, but wants her story to be told. And I don't Yeah, yeah, I'm a bit a bit confused here.
Speaker 1: It does get a bit confusing.
Speaker 2: It's enjoy it, it's very enjoyable to watch, but don't really understand the sort of real world in inverted commas of what's actually going on.
Speaker 1: It's kind of dream like, isn't it. Just Yeah, yeah, and obviously you know at the end of the day, it's just Matilda playing around with stuff.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I think, but why is Matilda playing around with it.
Speaker 1: To try stuff and see what works? I don't know. Maybe she's considering making Philipper lesbian I guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I suppose, And whether she's considering killing off Barnabas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, Kat decides she wants to him to finish her story so she can be a hero and be on the shelves.
Speaker 2: God Lie not self.
Speaker 1: Published on Amazon as a shy Kindle exclusive. Yeah, venom in that that, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Without wanting to go back into it not making sense. Yes, Cat's back, but Kat could only be back if Ezra is wanting her to be back. Was my understanding before.
Speaker 1: No, Well, for me, I think it's because Matilda is writing a story in which a writer is haunted by his characters. So within in Matilda's story, the character of Cat has come out of the story, right, yes, yeah.
Speaker 2: So in Matilda's eyes, yes, okay, yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like about Stephen King, as she says, I can't which one isn't I want to say it's somewhere in the dark tower where I've not read them, but I really want to where I think they spend a whole chapter or two these characters trying to break out of the book to wake up Stephen King, who's in a drug bender or something. Oh really, and isn't writing their story anymore? Or something to that.
Speaker 1: Effect that rings a bell.
Speaker 2: Yes, which I order is whatever they're sort of joking on.
Speaker 1: Probably, yes, yes. I also find it interesting how she says she can't do endings, but yet she says that all her books are famous for having a final twist. So how do those two things fit together?
Speaker 2: Or it's just that she really struggles to write them. She gets them there eventually, but it's the thing that she struggles with the most. But then I imagine that's The thing that most writers struggle with the most is ending them, and that's particularly unusual.
Speaker 1: No, I hate endings. I much prefer beginnings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so much easy. You don't have to worry about how it works exactly. The murder happened in this locked room. That's exciting. Yeah it is. How did it happen? No idea, I'll get that later.
Speaker 1: I think the trick is to work out the end in first.
Speaker 2: And work backwards. Yeah, should be. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I really like the bit with the book, Yes, realizing that it's, you know, real, this book he's written and that's published and everything. It's Actually it's very much like a dream, isn't it that you you know, isn't there That famous thing of how to tell if you're in a dream is to open a book and look at the page. Yeah you heard of that, Yes, And it's like, if you can read the text, then it's real, and if you can't, then it's not.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Something I have often in dreams that I don't I've never actually said any before is checking what time it is, right, and you're looking at the time and in a dream and if you blink, the time changes. Oh, I find I don't know if that's just the me thing. But yeah, and the time never concrete because I don't know what time. It is interesting, right, And if you're as weird as I am, well, I don't think.
Speaker 1: I don't think I would remember that specifically dream because my dreams send to be if I have, If I do remember them, they're quite vague. M I don't think I've ever been aware like Lucid in a dream, to be like thinking about it, whether it's a dream or not.
Speaker 2: I have occasionally. It doesn't app very often, but I have. I do every now and then. Yeah, it's a lot of fun. You shuddenly realize it's a dream and you can just fly and do anything. But you generally, or at least I generally, wake up quite quickly afterwards.
Speaker 1: Yeah, i'd imagine you were. But yeah, I love the louramipsum stop chext on the back. It's just like if you.
Speaker 2: Know, you know, it's a great little joke.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then all the pages a blank, which is funny because you saw Cat reading it just a few minutes ago and.
Speaker 2: There were words of the page then Yeah, but.
Speaker 1: It's only now he's actually looking at it. You can't see anything.
Speaker 2: I imagine it's more a production thing if they couldn't be bothered to actually print lamps them all over the actual full book. Yeah, but it was easier just to have a blank book.
Speaker 1: But I was thinking, you know, they could have they could have filmed the scene with Cat so that you can never see the inside.
Speaker 2: Of the book. True, but I guess.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter, because, like I said, it's it's only when he actually actively looks at it, you see, because it's just like imaginary.
Speaker 2: But I didn't notice as well. I don't think you ever see him pick the book up. He just has it when he needs to hold it, Oh, which is a nice touch. So yeah, Ezra gets the cat treatment. Yeah. Oh fuck, none of this is real either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the end of him m hmm.
Speaker 2: And presumably Barnabas and Cat and poor Katie Perry and all the other felines.
Speaker 1: And that's that's it, then, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah? Have you watched the credits of this one? I normally skip, well, like skip the credits because it just comes up with the play next thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you only get the first few seconds he watched this. You've got a really creepy little song by the daughter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember hearing that, yeah, about.
Speaker 2: These two little ducklings and only one came home and yeah, and it's really creepy. The background of the behind the credits slowly shifts to be this door. Its door opens and the faces girl just appears and then it ends very creepy.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that. I need to have a look at that.
Speaker 2: I don't know whether they do all other episodes. I'm going to start watching now. That's a good point I've never noticed before.
Speaker 1: I know that song very well because when I worked in a school. If I was ever a nursery, we always used to.
Speaker 2: Sing it a song for this No.
Speaker 1: No, it's one of those where you know where they're like. So it starts off five little ducks when swimming one day, and then it's like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I was thrown by it being two.
Speaker 1: But yeah, why is children singing so creepy?
Speaker 2: No idea, but it is main reason I don't want kids. Can imagine the little just creepily singing away in a room somewhere like yeah, no, they just sat in the corner of the room singing to themselves.
Speaker 1: No, So I believe I don't believe in ghosts. Or like reincarnation or any of those things. But I do sometimes find myself going down a rabbit hole on Twitter when you see those threads of like creepy things that children have done. People share their stories and it's like, yeah, my favorite one is the one about the child that said to their parents the people in the wall don't like you or something. And then and then they were the persons like what should I do? Someone replied on twisham was like, you should spend less time asking what you should do and more time thinking about how to be a person. The war people would approve of.
Speaker 2: My favorite was the parents saying good night and the kids saying goodbye, and the parent going no, we say good night, and the kid goes, yes, I know, but tonight it's goodbye.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's awful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is what I could for. Yeah, get that straight to a nunnery. Yeah, abandon that on the church steps immediately. I don't want to live in a horror film, thank you very much. There's a great I can't it's called but it's a great parody horror film with the creepy child and with its mum and the stepdad and the stepdad can tell that this kid is creepy and evil and the mom can't trying to kill the dad the whole time. Its great, it's so obvious but you can't see it.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that sounds amazing. Any who?
Speaker 2: Any who? Indeed, Yes, what were ranking this? Then?
Speaker 1: Oh it's tough. I've got a number in mind, and I don't want people to crucify me.
Speaker 2: Hmm, you can go first, Okay, do you want me to go now?
Speaker 1: I'll go first. I think I'm going to say three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I was thinking three or four?
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, I think I've explained my reasons why. Like I said, I do appreciate it, and I think there's a lot of very interesting stuff in it. There's a lot of clever stuff in it. But I just I don't find it particularly enjoyable.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I have flashes where and I think it could be great. But I think it's one of those great examples of the concept is great, but that doesn't mean it can translate into a story like you have plenty of you've seen the film in time. I think it is justin Tim Blake film, which obviously tells you all you really need to know about it, but it has the great concept of instead of in this universe, instead of money, you have time. So everyone has like a year on them that ticks down and you can get paid in time, and like rich people have thousands of years and poor people have minutes and seconds, and it sounds it's a really interesting concept. But the film is shit. There's no real film I see, Like, how do you translate that into a story?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a shame that happens.
Speaker 2: See three or four. I'll go three as well. I think, okay, fair, we never actually big thing we've missed here? What is the nine?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: The kind of sort of isn't one other than we randomly see a teally chart at the start, but that doesn't really link to anything.
Speaker 1: That This might be the most abstract nine we've had so far.
Speaker 2: I'd have liked the reveal at the end to be that the name that the book she's writing is called the nine or something or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, that's a very good point. We're not we're not insider nine at all.
Speaker 2: And it's not like the character's name is it Like it's a nickname at best. Yeah, And we're not really it's not really her. The whole episode anyway, no, Yeah, pedant me strikes again. Yeah, I don't really understand.
Speaker 1: No, that's a very good point.
Speaker 2: It's very good point as far as we know that this is house number nine and it's all irrelevant. Yeah, we just just never get shown it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, if you love this episode, listen, we're sorry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is all just our opinions, exactly, exactly. And as I'm sure I've said a thousand times before, like some episodes were like sometimes you don't and you might think the exact opposite and their fone valid. And that's the great thing about this show.
Speaker 1: So yeah, So I'm sure anyone who makes a podcast or puts content out online, it's not that unusual to imagine that you might once in a while have a little Google and see what people are saying about it. And so yeah, I do do that from time to time, and we're very lucky that the vast majority of it is very positive. People are very lovely about what we do. But yeah, I did have a little Google the other day and I came across somebody absolutely ranting about the scores we were giving in to certain episodes. Yeah, and I was a bit like, wow, we do make it very clear this is just our opinions, and it's just also it's just our opinions sort of on a whim almost at the time of how we're feeling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially the scoring bit at the end, very much just finger in the air at the moment.
Speaker 1: It's just, yeah, it's just a bit of fun, really, isn't it to give it a number? Yeah, but yeah, I feel like this, this thread I was reading was a little bit like we're offending people by scoring certain episodes lowly. But yeah, sorry if you feel that way.
Speaker 2: But yeah, and like we love this series. We wouldn't be doing this if we didn't love it exactly exactly. Even our least favorite said well empty orchestraside. I'm sorry, but we enjoyed them in some way, shape or form. I love them all.
Speaker 1: That was one of the ones that they were saying, I can't believe they scored it so low.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and yeah, I can't understand. I wish I could see how people can exactly what they see how they see it exactly. And that doesn't mean you're wrong, no, And I'm very happy.
Speaker 1: For you that you like it, but yeah, we we just everyone has a different opinion. Yeah, and this we're sharing ours, and I know, yeah. I think one of the issues was like, oh, the rating is a bit like is it based on how they feel or whether they like it or whether they think it's objectively good? And the answer is, I don't know. We're making happens to go along.
Speaker 2: So a bit of all of them. Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: It's just vibes, babes.
Speaker 2: It's not even consistent week on week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's going to be fun when we finished it all to look back at these numbers and be like, how much sens does that actually make?
Speaker 2: Yeah, if we actually sought them by order, whether we'll agree with it. I've just noticed though, we're within point three of having the same average score, which is yes, I'm slightly lower, slightly, only slightly.
Speaker 1: It makes me slightly more pessimistic.
Speaker 2: Then we round to the same number.
Speaker 1: True, but yeah, are you going to ask me your favorite question?
Speaker 2: Yet's go for it. Where was the hair? Did you spot it? I've got clue, no me, neither. I gave up to look up afterwards. But there are two sort of oh really so yeah. The main one is kind of where I thought it was, but it's kind of hard to see if it's in shadows, but it's behind Matilda's laptop when she's doing her bit at the end.
Speaker 1: That makes sense for it to be there because it's that's the reality.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, that's a good point. Yeah. The other one sort of is it's the publisher's logo on the book. It's not. It's not the same hair exactly, but it is a hair's head okay, like a rabbit head is in the top left corner of the back of the book. That's nice, which is more a sort of I guess little nod rather. Yeah, it's not the air, but it's no Yeah cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, there we go.
Speaker 2: Indeed, did you suppot our hair listen?
Speaker 1: Now you'll have to Yeah, you have to let us know. Just before we finish. I have a message to read out and this one comes from owlsome on Twitter from who owl?
Speaker 2: Oh okay, and why's Alson got in touch?
Speaker 1: Well, they got in touch with us just after our Simon Says episode came out where we talked a little bit about fandom and they said, Hi, I just wanted to thank you for your podcast. I listened to it every morning because one episode is almost as long as my drive to the office. I particularly enjoyed the Stakeout episode, obviously since it's one of my favorite in Side number nine episodes. But I'm still laughing at you calling Reese's fans intense since I'm one of them. So keep up the good work from an intense Reese Shearsmith fan. So yeah, thank you for that message. And yeah, I'll just say what I said when I replied back to them, which is that you know, as I think we said on the episode, it's it's perfectly fine to be a fan of somebody in their work, even you know, quite ardently. But I think we were just saying where it crosses the line when it gets a bit sort of personal and a bit like sorcery.
Speaker 2: But don't go find them in Asda, no exactly or.
Speaker 1: Any supermarket, yes see earlier in the episode. Ye, so, but I'm sure, I'm sure none of our listeners are that sort of person. So yes, nice, But yeah, thanks for getting in touch.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Keep the messages coming in always a pleasure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're lovely. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Apart from that one thrill I found on Google. Now I'm joking, actually, like I did say, actually it wasn't it wasn't that bad. It was had some issues, but it was also a little bit like you know.
Speaker 2: It was optimistic as well.
Speaker 1: And all that exactly exactly. And I said to you as well when I showed you, I was like, I think we've made it.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I know you've got you know, being a bit negative about you, it means you've really made it. So yes, we're back next week for kid Slash nap.
Speaker 2: Yeh see you slash then, Yes, but.
Speaker 1: For now, I think it's time to close the door on number nine.
Speaker 2: But you never leave, do you, especially if you're fictional and live in a drap. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as I say, this is where it gets revealed that actually we're not real, we're just fictional characters. No, I don't think anyone would read that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know when you watch like The Truman Show or something and someone's like, oh, what if it is all fake? No one's watching thirty odd years of this. No, this program would have been canceled years.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to the Ninth Degree. If you'd like to get in touch, you can find us on Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok at Ninth Degree Pod or email us at Ninth Degree Pod at gmail dot com. You can also leave us a rating or a review wherever you get your podcasts