Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan ray On Doubsy Boston's news video. Thank you al the Red Sox. They missed a couple of extra points nineteen they were nineteen and the hell the Orioles to a field goal, so a football like score at Fenway Park today, there were a couple of the Oriole pitches at the end.
Speaker 2: They have astronomical earned run averages.
Speaker 1: Now they'll spend the rest of the year working those are earned run averages, including I guess at third basement he gave up eight runs in one inning, so he hasn't earned run average at seventy two.
Speaker 2: I'm someone who reads box scores, and I gotta tell you that's tough. That's a tough.
Speaker 1: That's we thought early on the Oriols would be a pretty good team, and I think that's not to be. They've already fired their manager and it's going to be a long season in Baltimore. Well, welcome back everybody. We'll dispense with the sports talk here and we're going to get to politics, which is what is our meeting potatoes here on Nightside and with us, I'm delighted to have former Boston City councilor Frank Baker, Frank Baker, Welcome to Knightside.
Speaker 2: It's been a while. How are you.
Speaker 3: I'm good, Dan, Thanks for having me tonight.
Speaker 2: Well, I have to.
Speaker 1: Go over this because you are walking a path but very few politicians walk, and that is you ran for city council and were elected and served six terms twelve years as a district councilor, representing sort of a district that primarily was Dorchester, but you had a little bit of other sections of the city in your district.
Speaker 3: Correct, Yeah, Lower Roxbury and a little piece of the South End, a little bit of South Boston.
Speaker 1: Okay, So a couple of years ago you would have been re elected. I think there's no question about that. But a couple of years ago you decided twelve years is enough and you stepped aside. And there's another, uh district councilor from from your old district. Why did you step away? You know, it's very few politicians retire or step away voluntarily.
Speaker 3: Well, to be honest with you, did I was simply out of gas and you know it was a difficult It was a difficult group. I guess you could say back then and you know, yeah, I'll just leave it at that it was a difficult group and and and I was, I was out of gas.
Speaker 2: It hasn't gotten any better.
Speaker 3: I think it has well, I think it. I think I you know, and I'm and I'm trying to be respectful. I think there is I think there's opportunities.
Speaker 2: There to.
Speaker 3: Maybe bring the body together somewhat and work towards common goals that that are gonna, you know, be beneficial for the city of Boston.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: No, And I'm I was not trying to be a wise guy when I said that, But you you are are are going to be a different sort of voice. I said early on that I like to consider myself a voice of reason here in w b.
Speaker 2: Z on night Side. You have always been, in my.
Speaker 1: Opinion, a voice of reason when you served on the Boston City Council. So, okay, you've had a couple of years to to kind of step aside and uh and and watch it from a distance. Now you're going to run you You're not going to go back and run against the gentleman who who succeeded you in in your district. Uh, You're going to go state city wide. That's a tougher race. That's a tougher race. So tell us what what has prompted you to not only come back to the to the to the game of Boston politics, if I can refer to it as a game, but also to come back and be running city wide as a district councilor.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, as a.
Speaker 1: City wide an at large councilor excuse me, at large.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, well it is. It is a much bigger task. But I was fortunate my twelve years there. I think I earned a pretty good, pretty good name, and you know, like I plan on dispensing common sense, and you know, I've got thirty seven years of experience in the in Boston in different departments, you know, twelve years on the city council. And quite frankly, Dan, you know, you can't really complain about the game unless you're playing. And this is like you had said earlier, We're done with the sports. Let's get into politics. Politics is the is my blood sport now where I used to play other sports when I was younger, but now this is what I do when I'm drawn to it, and I think I can, I think I can, you know, add a little bit to the city. There's a lot of people that fail left out of left out of city hall, that don't feel connected into city hall. And I did hear from you know, this sounds quirky or you know, like maybe patting myself on the back. But I would be out and people will come up to me. Would you ever run for anything else again? Would you? Would you ever come back? And you know, my brothers would come home and say, I ran into people there. Everybody's asking what are you doing? What do you know? And I just needed some time away from city hall, time away from a toxic environment to kind of get gather my thoughts, get my head and and you know, get my strengths back. And I have all that, and I cared deeply about the city of Boston, which is what ultimately is going to draw me into my decisions. And I didn't come come to this decision lightly by any stretch of the imagination, because you know, I had a difficult couple of years there. It was it was we went through COVID and people people were you know, everything was zoom. We weren't in person, and that led to a lot of a lot of the issues. I think that that happened. You know, where people are now, you're advocating on a keyboard instead of it's five different when you're standing in front of somebody than it is if you're if you're just doing everything on a keyboard. So, I mean, I'd like to bring a lot of what we do back to in person. You know, it's it's how we connect, Like politics is one hundred percent connecting with your with however you connect with your heart or with your with your mind, whatever. We as a society I think need to get back together, back at the table, talking and hashing out issues that we have.
Speaker 1: Well, look, Tip O'Neil said, all politics are local, and I still think that was probably one of the wisest things that things that have ever heard of a politician.
Speaker 3: Yes, say absolutely so.
Speaker 1: Essentially, what I'm hearing is that you've taken a couple of years off and your batteries.
Speaker 2: Are recharged that yeah, obviously, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know if if that's the metaphor you want to use, but you're going to have to now reach out to the entire city and I'm hoping that we're going to hear from some of our Boston listeners tonight. Obviously, love to hear from your former constituents who you hope to have as future constituents, but also people in other sections of city. I mean there's a huge portion of the city. As a district councilor you probably represented roughly ten percent of the city as an at large because there are nine districts in Boston, nine district councilors and four at large councilors. Have you had well, First of all, how'd you do on the signature collection, which is which is always an onerous task, particularly when when you no longer have the incumbent, the power of the incombs incumbency to work. How did that go? I know you were working on it a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I well say, to just put it into perspective, I was the last person to pull papers. I pulled papers on my mother's nine eight birthday May eighth, so I got my I got my papers on on the ninth and and basically turned in and turned in enough by the following week to to to certify. So I'm already certified. We took it serious.
Speaker 4: I had.
Speaker 3: I had wonderful volunteers all around the all around the city, and you know, people were people were gracious, you know, to sign my to sign my papers. It's it's, you know, uh, a democratic sort of exercise. And and to sign the papers, that's just to allow you to be able to put your name on the ballot. You need to come up with a certain number. And we you know, I don't want to say we knocked we knocked it out of the park sports metaphor, but we did a pretty good job, all right.
Speaker 1: My guest is Frank Baker UH, a former district city council in Boston, and he is he stepped away a couple of years ago. He is stepping back into the ring this time. He's running at an at as an at large candidate, UH, which, to put it simply means that in his first six elections in Boston, his constituents represented certain areas Lower Roxbury, Dorchester, that that was pretty much his base of operation. Now he has to reach out everywhere from places like Reedville and Hyde Park and West Roxbury and Brighton and Alston and Charlestown, the North End, East Boston, Back Bay, South End, all of Dorchester, all of Roxbury, all of Mattapan, Roslyndale, Jamaica, Plaine.
Speaker 2: It has to has to basically be everywhere.
Speaker 1: It's a daunting task, and I'd love to have you if you are particularly a Boston resident, if you'd like to call, love to hear from me. If a question for Frank, if you want to give him a word of encouragement, I'm sure he'd appreciate that. I think it's interesting because very rarely do you have a former city councilor, or for that matter, a current city councilor up a district seat, which tends to be fairly solid. They are very stable. Let me put it like that. Very few district councilors have turned out to step back in or to step up and go at large city wide. So this is an interesting political experiment. And knowing Frank Baker as they know him, he has a lot of respect around the city, and he has a lot of support, and I suspect he's going to be a very formidable candidate. And people always watch in the at large races, they watch who finished first, who finished fourth. You have to finish at least one through eight. Do you know at this point, Frank, how many candidates are running at large for the September primary as yet? Do you know how many people have pulled papers?
Speaker 3: Well, eighteen people had pulled papers. I think so far that eight have been certified. That may have changed in the last two days. So we had a candidates night last night and a people were there, Okay, including myself.
Speaker 1: All right, so I think obviously eight will qualify in the primary. Uh, and then of course it'll be a mad dash to the finish line in November.
Speaker 2: But but if this isn't going to be an interest, it's going to be an interesting campaign. Let's keep it rolling. Here.
Speaker 1: Uh, the only line they have open. I got six one, seven, a, nine, three, one ten thirty. Got two lines there. Uh, the lines at six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty A full up. So you can avoid calling that for now. Try six one, seven, nine, three, one ten thirty if you'd like to get in. We'll try to get to as many folks as possible. My guest is Frank Baker. I will want to ask Frank a couple of questions when we come back about, besides the idea of running, what does he want to accomplish as a city councilor what direction does he want to take the city. What are the issues that he is going to be talking about. Uh. At most importantly, obviously everyone talks about improving city services and etc. But I also want to find it if there are some issues that are going to identify Frank's campaign.
Speaker 2: We'll be back with Frank Baker. Your phone calls. My name is Dan Ray. This is Nightside.
Speaker 1: I happen to love Boston politics. I love city politics, I love state politics, and I love federal politics. However, I will remind you that the most important vote you can cast is your local vote. Because when you vote in a presidential race, there's another one hundred and seventy million or so Americans who are voting, and there's another four or five million in Massachusetts who are voting. But when you vote locally in a city council race, your vote has much more significance in weight. It's a very important vote back. And so all of you need to be registered and get ready to vote on primary night, on primary day here in Boston next September. We'll get to all of that with Frank Baker and your phone calls. We'll be right back here on Nightside. The lines are full right now. As soon as they start to drop and we clear some of the lines, i'll let you know. For now, you can sit back and relax, coming back, Good Night Side. You're on Night Side with Dan Ray on w b Z, Boston's news radio. All right, my guess it's Frank Baker. He's the city council candidate. He had served in the city council for six terms. Frank, we only got a couple of minutes left here before the bottom of the hour. I don't want to short change any of the callers. We have Greg, Tom, Paul, Peteon Gordon lined up and several of them are from Boston. As a matter of fact, four out of five of them are from the Boston area. So we're going to talk to potential constituents. What is your impression of the city council? Now, you have one member of the city Council who has pled guilty to corruption charges. She remains a member of the city council, still drawing a salary as a member of the city Council, and probably will not resign until she's forced to resign when she is sentenced to federal prison in late July. Is that a factor in you deciding to get back into this race.
Speaker 3: No, no, I mean that's an unfortunate situation for the for the people of District seven. That you know that that that's the repentation representation that they have now. But but no, I think I think the people that are on the city council now, I think generally the the they're good people and they just they're in a they're in this odd time. When when I first got elected, Dan every person on the body, when I first got there, I.
Speaker 5: Came in alone.
Speaker 3: Every person offered to, you know, get to know me, take me off for coffee, take me to lunch, something like that. Those sorts of little gestures stopped happening. So the relationships that you when you're elected to a body, you're supposed to work as a body. You're not supposed to actively work against each other. And and and I think that I can bring a little bit of that experience in terms of maybe this is how we can we can be a body. Am I going to be a silver bullet? No, by no stretch of the imagine nation. But I think I can, you know, maybe help to build relationships and build common ground with the people are there now. Like I said, I think anybody that gets involved in politics, they care about what they're doing because it takes a big you know, it takes a big hot and you know, a car in person to just put your name on the ballot. A lot of people will will, you know, talk whatever way about oh you're a politician or this and that. But the reality is most people are never going to have the gumption to be able to put their name on a ballot. It's a very very difficult thing to do. So I have respect for the people that are in there. I just think we're gonna we're gonna have to, you know, work on some things and find some commonality between us, and I hope that I'm able to be there and help to do that.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let me ask you this, in your opinion, is the city of Boston going in a good direction or or or not the direction that you'd.
Speaker 2: Like to see it go.
Speaker 3: I'm not crazy about the direction of the city, but I have hope for the city.
Speaker 2: Okay, what would you likency changed?
Speaker 3: Well? Again, everything for me, dan is is relationships. What I'm hearing, mostly in different neighborhoods is we don't have anybody to call in city Hall. Nobody's nobody. It's not responsive. Your people aren't calling us back. The one thing and you had mentioned in earlier how important municipal elections are. What people don't understand is someone from the city is sitting at your kitchen table nearly every day, whether if it's ISD or if it's the water department, or whether you know you've got a ticket on your way in. Someone from the city is around your life every day, you know. And it isn't like and when you vote for president. Yeah, you may think it's the most important thing, but it's it's pretty far removed. The City Council is the closest to the people than any other sea that you could run for.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. I couldn't agree with you more. Let's do this, Frank, I think you've said it.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: There's nothing I can ask you that's gonna I think encapsulated better than that. We're gonna take a break. We got a newscast coming up, and we are going to get right to phone calls. We will handle everybody who's on the line, and hopefully several more folks.
Speaker 2: This is an interesting race. This is one you want to follow.
Speaker 1: I'm coming right back on Nightside with Frank Baker, candidate for an at large seat in the Boston City Council.
Speaker 2: Back on Nightside after this, It's night Side with.
Speaker 6: Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 1: All right, Frank Baker, we got a bunch of phone calls. Let's see what the folks have to say about your run. We have with us Greg from Abington, who is a Plymouth County commissioner.
Speaker 2: Hey, Greg, welcome to Nightside.
Speaker 6: How are you.
Speaker 7: I'm doing well, Dan, Thanks very much for having this gentleman on. You have to congratch him on the choice to get back in the game. But to tell you the truth, and I met Frank about three years ago when we had a delegation of folks come over from Ireland that we signed assist a county program with Donegall Ireland, and Frank actually drove these folks down, he picked them up at the airport for us. And over the last three years we've been talking and since he got out of the game, you know, he's never stopped helping people. And the reality is once you're out, you're out. And it was very frustrating, I think for Frank to try to help people when he no longer had that cachet of being that public person, having been a former city council in the city quinsing the seleckmen in Pembroke. You know, they like to say politician, but can I just say something when it comes to Frank Backer, he's a public servant, Okay. He likes to help people. And I think part of the and he probably wouldn't say it, but part of his frustration was you can't help you if you didn't have elected. So I just wanted to congratulate him and thank you Dan for putting him on, because he's a common sense person who likes to get things done. He said in himself, he's a broker. He likes to get solutions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I.
Speaker 1: Would see I would see Frank every year at the Mary and Brett food pantry over in Dorchester. The Brett family a great family here in Boston, Bill Brett and Jim bretton, you know all Harry Bretton, the entire Brett family, Tim Brett, the whole group of them. But I remember talking to Frank and saying, you know what, and he just seemed down. But he he sounds now to me like he's got the political bug again and he wants to get back out. And I knew him always as someone who wanted to help people, and that's why I'm having him on tonight.
Speaker 7: Well that's great, and I just wanted to call and congratulate him in a test to the fact that he's never stopped working for people, you know, right down with the Irish community that I'm involved with, who just finished the trans Atlantic UH Climbing Alliance Conference UH and we celebrated a welcome dinner for the Ambassador Island, retired Claire Cronin. She awarded the first ever award for similar to the typical Neil Award to the Mayor of Donne Gaul Nieve Kennedy and Frank came down and just participated. So he's he's become a friend. I want to be a friend to him, and I wanted to call and let you know I'm on board, Frank. Whatever you need from us, the Hanley Brothers will be with him. Dan, thank you for the opportunity to say so.
Speaker 2: Well, absolutely, Frank says, great, Go ahead.
Speaker 3: Frank, thank you for the kind words.
Speaker 6: Greg.
Speaker 3: You're a good friend.
Speaker 6: You're a good friend.
Speaker 3: I'm fortunate.
Speaker 7: We'll be there for your brother.
Speaker 8: Keep the faith, Dan.
Speaker 7: I let the other talkers, people waiting on the line talk, but thank you for having me and.
Speaker 2: Keep keep listening to night Side.
Speaker 1: Okay, my four bears are from a little a different part of the old sid County Cork, the town of Mattaw Cork.
Speaker 7: As they say, we got the down in Brockton. We have the credence and that's their court people as well. You and I are members of a distinct club, Dan, so I'll look forward to our next year's meetings.
Speaker 1: Well, I know we're talking about the Clover Club. I assume that's what you're talking about. Yeah, well, somehow I was elected president in a secret ballot vote. It was so secret no one knows who voted, who votes.
Speaker 3: Thanks Greg, Thanks good luck, Thanks Craig, good night, Thank.
Speaker 2: You great appreciate. Let's keep going.
Speaker 1: The only line there is six month, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty, the regular line. Tom is in Charlestown, Massachusetts. We have a Boston voter here, go ahead.
Speaker 2: Tom. You're all with Frank Baker.
Speaker 5: Hey Frank, and thank you Dan for having this night with Frank. I was just when Frank. When Frank gets elected, Frank, can you and will you try to bring the council back to the middle. Can you try and bring back actual council meetings where there's dialogue instead of petulant children banging on desks and yelling and screaming about things that are happening all around the world that have zero effect on the city of Boston. Can you try to bring back the maya to the middle. Also, she just does things. It goes around the council and goes around community groups and knocks down buildings and knocks down stadiums with zero input. And she doesn't wait for court decisions.
Speaker 1: That's assumed she'll still be the mayor when Frank gets elected.
Speaker 2: Tom, by the way, remember oh yeah.
Speaker 3: Well Tom, Tom, that's exactly that. That's exactly what I'm what I'm going to try to do, and it's one seat at a time.
Speaker 6: Tom.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm someone that I think throwing my hat in the ring, I think I can get elected. And I'm someone that's in the center. I'm not I'm not a leftie, I'm not a righty. I'm directly in the center. And you hit it. It's we need to have conversations and we need to talk about business. That's germane to the city of Boston. I mean, we have eighty percent of our kids in the third grade not reading proficient, and we're talking about everything else under the Sun. We need to get into city issues. We need to we need to put the city of Boston in the focal point of of everybody's in top of mind for everybody, and that especially the city council. So hopefully I can do that. Hopefully I can drag some people back to the center and let them know it's nice to be in the center. So, yes, that's what my plan is.
Speaker 8: Tom.
Speaker 1: Well, the center is the one place get The center is the one place where you actually can have some dialogue and conversations. I think a lot of folks on the extremes. Uh forget that.
Speaker 2: Frank so and uh yeah yeah, Tom. I appreciate your calling. Thank you so much.
Speaker 5: Thanks well, Dan, thank you for having me on, Frank, thanks for hearing me out and vote Baker and craftman.
Speaker 3: Tom, thank you. I will be at the I will be at the parade for Buncle Hill say hi, absolutely.
Speaker 9: Thanks, thank you.
Speaker 6: Thank you. Guys.
Speaker 1: All right, have a good one, have had good weekend, Happy Memorial Day. Paul is in Dorchester, Paul, another Boston voter, your own Frank Baker, Paul, Hey.
Speaker 4: Hi, guys, I guess congratulations Dan and Fred. You put a smile on my face. When I hear it, you're back. You got to vote from Savin Hill. Uh. I just we got some frightful people in politics nowadays. I would love to see a sane, normal guy like yourself back, you know, bless you and uh and like I say, I'll talk it up for my neck of the woods. And and you know what, I called city hall a couple of times today, I've been trying to address the rat issue, and I was wondering, what do you think about owls, like like snowy owls or like gray owls or something. They used peregrine falcons on the State House, so they already got the birds through. They've proved proved them to kill the pigeons in the state House. But like as long as nobody was using pesticides that they could stop that for a while. I think maybe introducing some some owls might be a possibility. But that's just maybe a pet project we could have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Paul, that's that's an interesting subject, something that I didn't see coming at me. But you know, anyway we can get rid of get rid of the rats.
Speaker 1: Just to be just to be clear, we're talking about the two legged rots here.
Speaker 2: Let's make sure it's really clear.
Speaker 3: Oh, I thought, Paul, the floor legged.
Speaker 2: Oh no, the fore leged.
Speaker 4: Okay, the two legged.
Speaker 2: One, we'll leave. We'll leave the two legged ones alone. Okay, we'll go after the four legged.
Speaker 4: There's the two legged skunks.
Speaker 1: But I think, by the way, I didn't. I didn't realize. Look, owls are our amazing birds. And I think Frank Paul's suggestion is kind of interesting. If if owls would our predators towards pigeons, I'm with the owls.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the owls go after the rats. The peregrine falcons are in the State House. They're actually there, you can. And there's less pigeons.
Speaker 3: But.
Speaker 4: Absolutely they brought them in and and and owls would be great because they'd be stealthy. You'd never hear them. They come out at night. They maintained themselves. And if you do. He wanted to be like, wow, I saw her on you know.
Speaker 2: And they're very wise, very wise.
Speaker 5: We should owls in Georchester more on the city council lately.
Speaker 1: All right, thanks, I have a good one. Okay, let's keep rolling here. Frank, you're going to take one more here before the break. We're gonna I don't want to make people wait any longer than necessary. Let's go back to Charlestown and Pete joins us from Charlestown. We got a couple of lines at six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty. Pete, welcome back your next.
Speaker 6: Good luck mister Baker in your re election. Let me ask you, are you in favor do you support Ice coming into Boston uh and doing the appropriate thing by removing people in here illegally. And my second question is me and wo would you give her for a grade on the universal grading system? How do you think she's done so far as May? What would you give her for a grade?
Speaker 3: I would give her a C.
Speaker 8: And I was at I was at a a candidate's night last night, and I advocated for Boston police to be able to work with ICE.
Speaker 3: So we're able to understand and know who it is that we need to we need to get out of the city. I'm not going to be in favor of breaking up families, you know, especially if someone isn't it isn't a criminal. You know, we have to get the criminals off the street. And I did advocate for, you know, to to actually say we're not going to cooperate. Just think of that for a second. We're not going to cooperate. Adults cooperate. We have conversations, we talked, So there's no reason why Boston police can't know what Ice movements are and when possible, be in collaboration with them. So I think, I think that all all branches of government are all all you know, forms of police should be able to talk. That's part of our intelligence when we when we went through nine to eleven, one of the big criticisms where you know, the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing. We shouldn't be advocating to say no, we're not going to help out in any any sort of any sort of you know, exercise to keep our people safe.
Speaker 6: Good comments, Frank, good luck, thank you, thank you, thank.
Speaker 2: You very much. Frank.
Speaker 1: I think that's a pretty common sense position that you just articulated, and I wish more politicians would were talking that way. I'm going to be next hour critical of President Trump's battle with Harvard. I don't understand why the president seems to be so focused or the administration seems to be focused so focused on going after.
Speaker 2: Harvard and all of that.
Speaker 1: There is so many more important things that need to be done in this country. I want to get the real bad guy as the people who were here, you know, the people who were into child trafficking, into bringing you know, really deadly drugs into this country, fentanyl and issues like that, the child rapists, people who are who are working the system. There was a story in the Herald today about some woman who had like eight social Security numbers. I forget the specifics of it, but she's been living here for twenty years. She's illegal, she's voted in elections. You know, we we got to tighten things up a little bit. And I think what you said made a whole lot of sense. You know, we're not before we go after you know, people who pick food or who clean hotel rooms.
Speaker 2: Let's get the bad guys out of here first, you know.
Speaker 3: Let's see Yeah, yeah, there's plenty, there's plenty of them here, and I think we could we could do that job more efficiently if all levels of laren for US enforcement were able to talk to each other. We're not asking Boston police to go in on raids, but the Boston police know Boston better than anybody. If you'll bring an ice in from if a guy that lives in Pennsylvania and he's and he's with ice. He doesn't know what the Boston neighborhoods are, so he doesn't know how we treat each other. Boston police know that we've got the best police in the country and we should be utilizing them.
Speaker 2: Well said, Well said. My guest is Frank Baker.
Speaker 1: He is an at large City Council candidate, which means whether you live in East Boston, West Roxbury, Charlestown, Mattapan, and all the points in between, Hyde Park, Reedville, you can vote for Frank Baker this September, and assuming that he qualifies for the final ballot in November, you can vote for him in November as well. He served six terms in the Boston City Council twelve years. Stepped away a couple of years ago, but I think he well, I think he has the fire in his belly and he wants to get back, and he wants to get back and do some positive things for Boston. And so I'm delighted to have him tonight, pretty much his campaign official. About a week ago, I wanted to get him on the program and he said, Dan, let me get my signatures squared away first, which is a perfectly reasonable position, and we're happy to have him. Tonight, we have got a couple more calls from Dorchester, and I got a little bit more room if you want to jump on board six one seven, two five thirty, six one seven nine three one thirty.
Speaker 2: Coming right back on Nightside.
Speaker 5: It's Night Side with.
Speaker 3: Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 1: Let's get some more calls in here for Frank Baker, candidate for Boston City Council, a city wide at large candidate. Gordon in Dorchester. Gordon, you're next with Frank Baker. Go right ahead, Gordon.
Speaker 9: How you doing, Frank.
Speaker 3: I'm good, Gordon.
Speaker 9: Frank, thank you for refueling and getting back in the race to instare integrity to the City of Boston and to the City Council.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Gordon.
Speaker 9: I mean that is that any I'm going to be brief.
Speaker 2: That's okay, go right a head, Gordon.
Speaker 9: I just want to get that message out restore integrity to the City of Boston in the City of Council. I love you, Frank, Thank you, best wishes deal.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Gordon, thank you very much.
Speaker 9: Welcome my pleasure.
Speaker 1: Thanks Gordon, appreciate your call. Let me get very quickly. Let me get Joe in from East Boston. Joe and you are next one. Nice with Frank Baker, candidate at large Boston City Council.
Speaker 10: Hey Dan, Hey Frank, how are you great?
Speaker 6: Hi?
Speaker 3: I'm good good.
Speaker 10: Thank you for running. It sounds like we've got somebody with integrity here, and that's what we need. I cannot believe, I'll be quick if I can. I cannot believe that a convicted felon is going to continue in their job. And you know why that is because they don't want to pay for a special election. But I have no confidence. I've lost all confidence in my own city councilor and most of the city councilors except for quite a few, which it's when I think I really wish he had run for mayor anyway. In East Boston, we have bike lanes. No one uses them because our street is so dangerous. We have accidents every day on Bennington Street. They ride on the sidewalk to which these motorized bikes are on the sidewalk and we're not safe. So that's one thing.
Speaker 6: Number two.
Speaker 10: In the community, we have a community process. We have these community groups. I was head of mine at Orient Heights, and they get people to believe they have a say in what goes in your neighborhood. And so they bring the attorneys in, and they bring the people that want to build these you know, humongous complexes, and you have you know, they come in three times and you go back and forth, and if the community votes it down, the mayor will always veto the vote. Nine times out of ten the vote gets vetoed and that big cong larmer and goes in anyway. And so we everybody thinks the community process is a joke, a waste of time. It's just a belief that we have to say, but we don't. We need to bring back the power in the community groups. And I hope that that's something you can think about doing. But I would appreciate that.
Speaker 1: And one way that the community groups can assert their power is to support candidates like Frank Baker who are responsive to community groups.
Speaker 2: If you want to be.
Speaker 1: If the incumbents aren't being responsive, then you have to change the incumbents, simple as that.
Speaker 2: True.
Speaker 10: So I was going to run this time, but I just decided I'm better as a social worker. But Frank, will you come to your Boston and talk to a couple of our groups.
Speaker 3: I will, I will Joe in. So let me just say one thing. I think one thing that we should be looking at doing with, especially with the big planning initiatives, I think we have to get off of zoom and bring those in it. If you're planning on imputing hundreds of apartment in someplace, you should have you should have the decency enough to come and sit in a room with the people that are going to be affected. And that's a ployee where we have all the zoom because if someone is speaking out against the project, product project, all you need to do is they just neute you now. And also that's not what we're used.
Speaker 1: To Frank, you feel isolated when you don't. You don't realize there's one hundred other people who agree with you. The zoom works against community groups. Joe Inn, We're going to have Frank give his UH address where you can get in touch with him. So get a piece of paper and pencil. I'm going to get one more caller in real quickly.
Speaker 10: Okay, thank you so much. I'll call back another time.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Joe. In your Orient Heights the Orient Heights group, well, Larentine is going to back me. Sal Yep's gonna be with me?
Speaker 10: Yeah right, Well okay, joe In hold on again it joe In you you just get a pencil and we'll get it.
Speaker 2: Get an address for you. I want to get one more. Call in real quickly for Frank Paper.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Gregory in Dorchester. Greg, you're a little bit at the end of the line here. We only got about thirty seconds for you. Can be Can you be quick, my friend? I got you in.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Frank, you're the assault of the earth.
Speaker 6: We need you.
Speaker 1: Well, there's not a better endorsement that you could have than than Greg And that says it all.
Speaker 2: Greg, well said my friend. Thank you so much, Dad.
Speaker 4: Thank you for opening, for talking about a kidd the other night.
Speaker 9: You open an off line of doors open afterwards.
Speaker 1: Thank you, my friend. I appreciate that. I really do. Greg, you know that. Thank you. Thanks buddy, we'll talk to it. Have a great have a great weekend, Frank. How can folks get in touch with your campaign if they are so inspired?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean I have my cell phone number. I don't have a campaign email just yet. I'm just setting everything up. I have a campaign headquarters at eight five eight Dorchester, rav and I'm having my campaign kickoff on June fifth, seven o'clock at Florian Hall. Like for joe In Alamentina has has my phone number. There's a lot of people around that just I don't necessarily want to get my cell phone.
Speaker 2: Numb totally get that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But but again, we'll have you back and we'll we'll try to get the people in touch with you.
Speaker 2: Okay, people can.
Speaker 3: And I'll have a website up up and running very shortly, Dan, and I'll make sure that I'll make sure that you know people will have it. But I have my campaign headquarters and my kickoff is on the fifth of June at at Florian Hall. I'd love to have everybody across the city come over and and have some fun with me that night.
Speaker 1: So sounds great, Frank, I enjoyed it. I think you had a good night, and you're off and running. Best of luck. We'll talk it again.
Speaker 3: Thanks, Dan, You're welcome, my friend.
Speaker 1: We'll talk soon. All right, We've got to take a break. We will be back here right after the ten o'clock news, and we're going to talk about this a weird fight between Donald Trump and Harvard Back on nights out, after this