Speaker 1: And now your host of Dodger Talk, David Vasse.
Speaker 2: Welcome the Dodger Talk David Vasse live at Dodgers Stadium. After the Dodgers defeat the Braves six to one for their six straight win to begin the season, David Vasse live at Dodgers Stadium with you until eleven o'clock tonight. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. We will hear from Eric Harros in just a moment. We also will hear from Dustin May later in the show. Who's making his big return to the mound tomorrow night here at Dodgers Stadium. It should be very emotional for Dustin May tomorrow night. But we'll get to him a little bit later. We'll get to those torpedo bats a little bit later and who may be using them from the Dodgers. But first, let's talk about tonight's game. Dodgers win six to one. They're now six to oh to begin the season. The nineteen eighty one Dodgers were the record holders of that distinction until the twenty twenty five Dodgers joined them to have the best start in LA Dodger history to begin the season. Six to zero. The nineteen fifty five Boys of Summer started that season ten and and oh, so that's the Dodgers franchise record for the most straight wins to begin a season. And really for the Dodgers, they're winning games differently. Right one night, it's dominant starting pitching. Another night, it's the offense rescuing Roki Sazaki, it's the bullpen rescuing a starting staff that is going five innings just to begin the season, first turnaround. So they're getting contributions from a lot of different people. Tonight it was Tyler Glassnow who had a very good first start of the year, five scoreless with eight strikeouts and three walks. Something that glass Now talked about during spring training was to be more athletic and not be so caught up in his body movements and really getting into his own head when it came to all that stuff. And you heard Dave Roberts talk about that after the game tonight, where he said he was in a good rhythm.
Speaker 3: And that's basically a tip of the cap to that.
Speaker 2: Just to put it into perspective what the Dodger offense is doing tonight. They had seven hits with two strikes on him. Will Smith had two of those seven hits with two strikes on Dodger hitters. The Dodgers tonight scored six runs. The Braves have only scored eight runs in their first five games of the year. The Braves are oh to five to start the year. They were swept in a four game series in San Diego. They lose tonight, so they'reh to and five for the first time since twenty sixteen. They were zero to nine to begin that year. So my pick for the Braves to be a playoff team is not looking so great to start the year.
Speaker 3: But it's early.
Speaker 2: But the Dodgers are catching a Braves offense that is in a slump. They went twenty nine consecutive innings without scoring a run until Michael Harris the Second homered off Tanner Scott. Now, Michael Harris the Second's a very good hitter, but uh Dave Roberts has alluded to it a couple of times that Tanner Scott is trying to work through some things. He was in a low leverage, blowout type of game that sometimes works against relievers that are closers and high leverage guys, But nonetheless you hope that Tanner Scott gets on tracks sooner rather than later, and his resume says that in the last two years he probably will, So I'm not worried about Tanner Scott. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number, in case you missed it. Freddie Freeman was not in the starting lineup tonight because Dave Roberts said he's slipped in the shower on Saturday night. Here's Dave before the game explaining why Freddie was not in the starting lineup for the third time in six games.
Speaker 4: He had a little mishap in the shower, entering the shower, the bathtub and so slipped and it was kind it's the same ankle and so day to day and kind of swelled up a little bit. Not able to play tonight.
Speaker 2: All right, That was Dave Roberts. A couple of things. Number One, I have slipped in the bathtub slash shower before, but i haven't twisted my ankle, and I'm not on a surgically repaired right ankle, so that does happen. I'm sure most of you have experienced that, but caught yourself before any damage. Sometimes you do fall and cause some damage. Number two, the Dodgers played on Saturday night. Freddie Freeman's taking multiple showers after games. I mean, hey, Freddie's always smelling great anyway, Hopefully Freddie's back. All joking aside, Freddie was very handed with us in spring training that he was going to have to manage this surgically repaired right ankle that he hobbled through all of October with It was going to be a situation where he probably was going to have to manage it at least through the All Star break, if not the entire year, meaning that there were going to be times where, even though he wants to, he would not be able to play day games after night games. So I think him playing through this right ankle maybe gave him a false sense of security and maybe he forgot about it.
Speaker 3: Maybe not.
Speaker 2: I'm just trying to speculate here, but you know, nobody wants to be on the field more than Freddy Freeman, and nobody wants to be on the field more against the Braves than Freddie Freeman. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Isidro who is at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 3: Tonight. Hi, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 5: Hey there, how's it going.
Speaker 3: How did I do with the name?
Speaker 6: That was pretty good?
Speaker 5: You were one of the ones that said it.
Speaker 2: Right, that's a good way to start the show. What do you got for us?
Speaker 5: You know, I seen that the Dodgers have a really good team. I already think they're gonna lose under forty games this season.
Speaker 6: What do you think?
Speaker 2: So what would that be? I'm not great at math. Don't you think they're like you think they're gonna win a one hundred and twenty games?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't see them losing more than eight to ten games some month. That's kind of how I was looking at it, all right, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, Brett Boone was on with Petro some Money earlier today and he believes the Dodgers have a real chance at breaking the Mariners record that he was on back in two thousand and one. So all right, all right, well, right now it kind of feels that way. But it's a long season. There's still a long way to go. But right now, the Dodgers just seemed to be in a different weight class than everybody else in Major League Baseball. Eight six, six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Bob, who is at Dodger Stadium tonight.
Speaker 7: Hi, Bob, David Basse Dodger Bob from Malibu, Buddy, how you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm doing great, Bob. How could it be bad if you're a Dodger fan these days?
Speaker 7: Your damn right, fifty thousand of us out there celebrating. Then, David, a couple questions for you real quick. Number One, your thoughts on Tanner Scott? And two, how about giving some.
Speaker 1: Flowers to Jack Dryer.
Speaker 7: This kid's pretty solid, man.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know people that say they don't know who this kid is.
Speaker 2: I was visiting with my family on Saturday night after Suzaki came out of the game. There were some fans sitting in front of where they were. They're like, who's this guy? Jack Dryer. I can understand that he was just put on the forty man roster during the offseason, but he he is a homegrown kid and he's really good. He's now pitched in three games and has only given up and earned run. Jack Dryer is going to be part of this bullpen for the majority of the season.
Speaker 3: Bob, Yeah, good call.
Speaker 7: I agree. Man, it was a pleasure watching him and the rest of the team.
Speaker 3: Thanks, Yeah, no problem, Bob. Be safe out there.
Speaker 2: And Ben Casparius is another young Dodger through the farm system that is going to be a big part of this Dodger bullpen as well. First of all, though, they have to get some good starting pitching, and I think they got that covered, including Tyler Glass now who made a career high twenty two starts last year despite not pitching the second half of last year. Tonight eight strikeouts and five score is, and like Dave Roberts said, he was in a good rhythm. Let's head downstairs to the Dodger Clubhouse to hear from tonight's winning pitcher.
Speaker 9: It was good, I think, especially that first thing, I felt really synced up. I think that later except for that, we're like a little bit more of a challenge. But I think having that curve balls helped me out a lot. And then just like the ride on the heater early on was a lot better too, So just probably better to throw a little bit more strikes. But for the first one, it was good.
Speaker 10: When you think about just kind of seeing all that hard work you've put into, whether it's in the off season, the spring, seeing it play out in a game, kind of just how you're feeling out there just when you look at that, is this kind of where you want it to be? Kind of what the work that you put in this offseason?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think I feel really comfortable with what I worked on and I'm not thinking about it a ton. I think it's the least I've thought like mechanically in a long time. So I feel athletic and free and good.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 1: What do you think it allows you to do in the second inning where you had like a couple of walks.
Speaker 6: And being able to kind of move.
Speaker 1: Past as like an example of that where.
Speaker 9: I think, so I think just yeah, I don't know. I think once you have a good inning and you go out and walk to guys, it's like immediately just kind of like lock it in, get it mode. I don't know why, but I just felt that a sync. I think getting in that quick step and I think that kind of helped me the rest of the game though, Just try to lock in and stay focused.
Speaker 11: What do you think it is that has allowed you to sort of feel free and not really think about her mechanics on the mounts, which I think.
Speaker 9: Just keeping momentum in it. And I think Mark has helped me a ton, like where I'd lift and put my hands and stuff. It was kind of early on just kind of all over the place and a little bit more compact. Change my throwting program a lot.
Speaker 3: He changed it.
Speaker 9: And then Connor's helped me a ton with like grips and stuff, and I think all of it has come together and they have have to in the weight room, Like I've kind of changed a ton of stuff, and like my body just feels a lot better. It's moving more fluid, and all those like little changes throughout my drawing routine and grips, like I said, have been really helpful so far. So the last few you have been feeling really good.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: That's Tyler Glass now courtesy of Sports in at LA. And look the walks he was talking about where he had to reset. We're back to back walks to Ozuna and Albee's just start the second inning. Then he was able to retire the braves in order. Baldwin, Dela Cruz, and Jerry Kelnick all went down. It was a fly, a great catch by Andy Paez, by the way, on Baldwin for the first out of that second inning, and then De la Cruz popped up to Kei k Hernandez and Kelnick grounded or it was a force out to uh Well, it was a pop up to Mookie Betts to end the inning. So that was good. And when you talk about his three walks, I have to point out the top of the fourth inning when.
Speaker 3: Glass Now was facing Olson.
Speaker 2: If you go back to MLB Game Day, you'll see that glass Now probably struck out Matt Olsen.
Speaker 3: Despite Olsen walking in that.
Speaker 2: At bat to start the fourth inning, at least two pitches were strikes, clear strikes. If they were using the appeal system, glass Now and or Will Smith would have been pounding their heads during that at bat. But hey, it happens. Dan a great paison, a great umpiring crew. Here were Randazzo and Couzy and Dan Bellino. They're human and that's part of baseball, right, That's part of this game that makes it so special. You got to keep the human element, you got to keep the personality, and those things will happen. But Dan Bellino is one of the best umpires out there. But I did have to point out that at bat by Olsen in the fourth inning in defensive Glass now and everything. He was talking about how the pitch grips are helping, the workouts have been changed. That's great right now, but you hope that it lasts the entire season. That's the challenge for Tyler Glass now to keep whatever he had going during the offseason and spring training and into this start, keep it going all the way through the season. And he's been building towards that twenty starts two years ago, twenty two last year. So you just hope he gets to the finish line this season. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Braves six to one. Let's go out to Todd, who's on Dodger Talk tonight.
Speaker 12: Hi Todd, Hi David, Hey, thanks taking my call. I appreciate it. I really enjoyed the game tonight. I had great seats, so I had a really good you know, I cannot how were.
Speaker 2: Your seats, Todd, I'll be the judge of how great your seats were. Tell me where they were.
Speaker 12: Well, we were like we were k you know, I okay in one oh five field level.
Speaker 3: One oh five? What No, one o five?
Speaker 2: That can't be on the field level that's on the Loach second deck right one oh five no.
Speaker 12: No, no five or whatever. It's the five and it's a fifth rok.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean, very suspicious, but at least you were here.
Speaker 12: No, no, no, I was there.
Speaker 2: Sounds like you're a guy that was in the top deck. That's trying to sell me that you were on the field level top.
Speaker 12: That's your funny.
Speaker 13: I'm just let me say.
Speaker 12: I will say this.
Speaker 8: No, I appreciate it. Now.
Speaker 12: So here's the thing. There's two things that impressed me about this game. One was getting I love this guy taoskar hernanis he's becoming more. I'm more of a fan of this guy all the time. I mean, the ball he hit, the crack of the bat was so much different than any other home runner hit in the game tonight.
Speaker 13: Just nuts.
Speaker 12: And then so I love the fact that he'd scored three runs. I mean, the guy is just a gamer and a winner. But the second one was Tommy Edmund. You know you saw him out there. He made a great play a second base where the ball was in the dirt, very tough play. Max Munsey threw and Bretting impressed with that.
Speaker 6: And then his fly ball.
Speaker 12: It was almost a Grand Slam. Yeah great, you know he got that RBI got that run in love that kid.
Speaker 2: We were looking it up, Dwayne McDonald, our crack staff here, a one man's staff was looking it up. Tommy Edmund two career Grand slams and he came a few feet away from his third, right there.
Speaker 3: Great call, Todd, you were at the game. You passed the test.
Speaker 2: Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. And like I said, Otani, Mookie, Freddie well deserved.
Speaker 3: Those are the big three, but they can't do it alone.
Speaker 2: And me personally, I feel like Tommy Edmund and Taoscar Hernandez are two of the most unsung heroes on this team. Tao is starting to get his recognition, obviously, he was a fan favorite last year. That carried over into this year. I mean yesterday at the Citadel Outlets at the Polo Ralph Lauren event that we put on with ta Oscar Meeting and greeting, we had almost five thousand fans out there for Taoscar Hernandez.
Speaker 3: That's how popular he is.
Speaker 2: And Tommy Edmond does so many things that don't show up in the box score and I'm glad a fan that was at the game fifty thousand plus tonight recognize what Tommy Edmund did. Let's go out to the two to one three. Eric, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing?
Speaker 3: Eric H.
Speaker 2: Dave?
Speaker 8: I know we don't got enough time woman trying to rattle these off speaking about him, and I wonder if you just keep him that second. You know, the the amount of runs well Kim and triple A is bawling right now if you look at what he's doing in triple A. So when he comes in, what do you do with them? And you put him in center? Of course, I.
Speaker 3: Know that's all move around. That's the beauty of it.
Speaker 8: I know that when and when are the pioneers of that?
Speaker 6: Right? You know?
Speaker 8: Uh? Where was that going? Look? I think I think first of all as a Dodgers fans, just to put it in perspective, Garby say, and what to seem what with this Dodger organization has done this sustained excellence. I just can't say enough. It makes me feel so good when I see my Lakers team lose. You know how how even when they lose, I feel good because I know I'm rooting for these Dodges right now. So thank you Stan Cashi, and thank you Andrew Friedman. And this is what I'm gonna leave with you to day. Uh show Hey at the leadoff spot. Do we keep doing that or do we maybe flip flop Mookie and show Hey.
Speaker 2: I would not do that, Eric, You know, I was a little skeptical when they did it last year, but both guys excelled, So no, and show Hey won the MVP going away. Thanks for the phone call. Eight six six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number. We have a few people ringing in, but we have two lines open. We're gonna take our first time out here on Dodger Talk. When we come back. You'll hear all about these torpedo bats that the Yankees were using where they were hitting what.
Speaker 3: Fifteen home runs.
Speaker 2: We talked to the Dodgers hitting coach Rob van Zoyak, one of the few times he speaks publicly today, he did about what he thinks about hitters trying to get some of the edgeback from the pitchers in the technology department. We'll hear from him, We'll hear from Marek Carrol's. We'll check in with Jose Mota as well. After the Dodgers win their sixth in a row with a six to one win over the Braves on the World Champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 13: On air at AM five seventy, online at AM five seventy, la sports dot com, and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: This is Dodger Talk with David basson Here's a Bitch.
Speaker 1: Tay Oscar gets it high in the air deep centerfield, carrying great tore the wall, m gone into the netting, bell of patters tails, He's off and gives the Dodgers in early to nothing.
Speaker 2: Lead Dodgers in two home runs tonight. The Hernandez Armanos, Taoscar, and keik A each went deep tonight. Taoscars a two run shot in the first inning off of Grand Homes and the best part was that his protege, Andy pie Has was there waiting for him, greeting him with the sunflower seeds when he came back to the dugout. Loved seeing that the Dodgers go on to beat the Braves tonight six to one. They are undefeated to start the season six to zero. Daniels Jewelers presents the home run Forecast go to AM five to seventy la sports dot com and use the keyword home run for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card predicting the number of home runs in the next game. Daniels Jewelers own the dream. All right, Well, you've heard about these torpedo bats. You may or may not have. The Yankees got an mit kid. They kind of zeroed in on where their Yankee hitters are often hitting the baseball as far as the location on the bat. They redistributed the weight of the bat to try to give the Yankee hitters more chances to get some barrel on the ball. And the Athletic is reporting that Max Munsey and Keik A Hernandez are going to experiment with the torpedo bat. Maybe more Dodgers will. But we all hear about the pitching labs and the technological advantage and scatting reports that pitchers have, but you never really hear about it when it comes to hitters. Well, Dodgers hitting coach rob An Zoyak spoke to myself and a couple of the beat writers before today's game regarding hitters trying to come up with some sort of counteraction to all the information and technology pitchers have at their disposal.
Speaker 11: It's the big part of it. They have track man, they have a lot more info on what they're doing and all that, And we don't catt the bat up to this point, so it's a little bit like less known on our end. So I think guys are gonna try it.
Speaker 6: I mean, how do you not?
Speaker 12: Right?
Speaker 2: Hey, how do you not? But I will say this, the Dodgers may have been ahead of their times. I'm not sure whatever came of it, but I do remember showing up at the ballpark.
Speaker 3: In twenty twenty one, twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Two, early in the afternoon, and similar to when you go to a golf store, it looked like they were trying to hook these hitters up. So they were going to customize bats for these hitters as far as their swing goes, they would match it with their swings. So maybe the Dodgers were toying with the torpedo bat idea back then. In fact, you know Cody Bellinger's on the Yankees now, he specifically I remember hooked up to all these wires and it seemed like the Dodgers were trying to customize a bat for Cody back then. But you know, I've heard of players even in the minor leagues that have been offered the torpedo bat but say they don't like the feel of it. And that's what it comes down to. As a hitter. You know, it may be great, it may be scientific. You should probably use it maybe, but if it doesn't feel right for the hitter and they don't have confidence in the box with it, then it's not going to work for them. Speaking of torpedo how about Jerkson Profar suspended eighty games by Major League Baseball earlier today, Mister irrelevant. There was a lot of buzz about torpedo bats and Jerkson Profar being suspended eighty games before the game today on the field, and a lot of players were saying, I knew something was off last year he had his best offensive season and then was rewarded with a big contract by the Braves. So Jerkson Profar back to being mister irrelevant.
Speaker 3: Some guy that's not irrelevant? Eric Carross.
Speaker 2: Eric Carros will be on the Sports in a LA broadcast when the Dodgers hit the road on Thursday to Philadelphia and Washington, DC. We had a chance to catch up with the LA Dodger home run king to talk about. Not him, of course, we care about Jered Carros, who had another great spring for the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: The spring went really well.
Speaker 14: I just had an outing yesterday and just done dominated again. And so he and Jackson Ferris, both guys are going to start the year at double A and you know, it's again. It's one of the great things about the organization is that you are going to be the best version of yourself and you're going to You're going to max out on your potential so that that you're forever grateful. The tough thing is the road to the big leagues isn't isn't always a straight line. And where guys that are in Triple A and even double A could be on big league staffs elsewhere, you know, not gonna happen here in LA because of the pitching riches.
Speaker 2: Did you ever feel that way coming up in the organization the Dodgers had Eddie Murray at the time, or did you feel like eventually your time would come.
Speaker 14: No, it was different because we weren't going out there signing you know, the top free agents and and you know, we didn't have the economic wherewithal the player development is how we lived basically. You know, it wasn't until really, you know, i'd say the late nineties we went out and signed Kevin Brown. That was a first hundred million dollar deal. And every once in a while they dip into the free agent market. I know when I was here, you know, they had signed Darryl Strawberry a few years earlier, Kirk Gibson. But what you weren't doing is signing six or seven guys right and or trading for them. And you know, that's the thing is it's but this is the reason that this is the best organization. It's got the best talent, it's got the best clubhouse, it's got the best player development, it's got the best management, it's got the best ownership. It's the best at everything, and so that creates a lot of competitiveness.
Speaker 3: Hey, first class, top to bottom.
Speaker 2: You hear about this in every sport, NFL, NBA, major League baseball. The tone is set with the ownership, and the Dodger ownership set that tone when they took over in twenty twelve. And look, they have delivered on all their promises from renovating Dodger stadium for the fans, the players, to pouring in money and reinvesting into the roster the way they have, They have never led up, and it's paid off. It's a first class organization and certainly a great one to be part of if you're a Dodger. And look, the Dodgers are not stopping. They're going to continue to go. And they have a pretty good one to two punch of Double A with left handed Jackson Ferris and right handed Jerry Carross, not to mention what they have at Triple A. By the way, Bobby Miller his first start of the season for Oklahoma City four and a third scoreless inning, So Bobby's getting back on track as well.
Speaker 3: All right, let's head out to Jose Moda. It's time to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 2: Hey, you talk about first class. That comes down to the broadcasters as well. With Jose Moda, and earlier this morning, Jose Moda and a large swath of the Dodger front office organization got their championship rings. So you talk about first class. I heard it was a first class event, Jose.
Speaker 13: It was first class all the way. I mean, we actually, I think a lot of the employees felt like they played, you know what I mean. It was so great to see other people put so much hard work, and people like sancasting about wolf Lawn and Eric recognizing that. And I'm just so happy for the people have spend so much time during the morning, they leave late at night from you know, and all the time they do put in to make things easy for the players. Thanks for a couple of players that came in too, to recognize art work done by so many people. I just happen to be at the right place, at the right time day, just second in two thousand and two of the end, just so I'll take it. I didn't do anything for it. I called the games, I enjoyed the games, and they did all the work. So yeah, I'm so lucky and blessed.
Speaker 3: No doubt.
Speaker 2: We were all along for a great ride last October with the world champion Dodgers, and they haven't stopped in twenty twenty five, improving their record a six to oh tonight. I thought Will Smith was the perfect guy to talk to after the game because he has it's a front row seat and is involved in so far a really good pitching staff and also a really good offense.
Speaker 13: You're right. Let me go back to October. Every inning was caught by one man. That was Will Smith. Everything that the bullpen did in that run day went in, it was Will Smith and I don't think he got a lot of credit for that. And he was playing hurt by the way too. And then a guy that we know when he's good, the same two strike approach. What we saw today is well we see from Will Smith using the middle of big little ballpark going the other way, spoiling good pitches. But also came to that calm demeanor, just like when he talks to you, keeping it all cool, like yeah, I mean that's what we expect to do it. I mean it's not being cockey, just being you know, simple and saying that's what I expect to do because that's my job. One thing too, is blocking Tyler. That was not easy. I mean, this guy's prone to the wild pitches. He saw how many balls he bounds at fifty five fifty feet today And Will Smith is like, okay, that's my job and got then get it done. So he and Austin Bonnes really make a lot of things easier for those on the mountain.
Speaker 3: I remember last spring training.
Speaker 2: Glass now's first, and Glass now acknowledged that he does beat up his catchers. Why does he beat up the catchers? Is it because of the curveball or is it his fastball and slider all part of that too.
Speaker 13: It's a combination. Think about six or eight great extension. By the time he releases the ball, he's not just like nobody is actually, but he's way it's likely shaking your hand. And on top of that, you have to react to the spin, the velocity, and also what directions are all going to go. So if he throws a slider, you gotta know they you're going to be blocking it different than with a curveball. But those guys actually live off of that. If you think about the strikes house he collected tonight, how many of them were strikes at the end, it was strikes made up by the hitters because they were fooled. And when you don't have the confidence your catchers up and stop those pitches, you sometimes are gonna be a little tentative and hang more pitches because he's like, well, I kind of have to throw more in the zone because my guys having trouble onder seeing it or reacting to it. But not with the guys here because they put their work in early to make for They understand how everybody's pitches spin when they hit the dirt. What's the direction of the native block? How do you know? Put in their bodies. But a guy like Tyler glassno anyway, hard with the big breaking ball will leave. It's always very tough to block.
Speaker 2: Jose Mota is joining us on Dodger Talk after the Dodgers defeat the Braves six to one. All right, Jose, I got to ask you about a fellow Dominican, a guy that everybody loves in LA after just one and a half seasons, and that is Taeoscar Hernandez, who is an All Star, a home run Derby champion, and a World Series champion. Why has he been able to hit his potential in Los Angeles more than in Toronto or Seattle or Houston.
Speaker 13: I think a couple of ideas here come to mine and into ostar Number one. He knows himself very good now as a player. Okay, he has told me he survives on this environment because is not just all on him. That's the number two that takes a lot of pressure off of you. You feed up the guys that you're playing with, because these guys are so good and so well prepared that just they make your job easier by you simplifying your Games's not sing for affections.
Speaker 6: The guy's got you.
Speaker 13: Know, thirty five power, but he is simply playing a lot of things with hitting coaches.
Speaker 6: He the big question last.
Speaker 13: Year was, well he didn't hit well, and see what's going to happen, is dow you're still going to be for him. Well, there's a reason why he just did not see the ball. Well, other things didn't go his way. The ball. You know, it's tough bull to hit no matter what. But pert Oscar is now that he knows more about who he is as a hitter, and he's going to have the same miss and the strikehouse, yes, but he also understands when to cut it down. All that, combined with age, maturity and being in this environment is only going to make you better if you are able to absorb it all and to apply it all and to also play with joy, because this guy really does enjoy playing baseball, and it's a smile says that all you guys have a great turnout. I congratulate you too, because yesterday was also terrific. See all those fans out there.
Speaker 2: No doubt four thousand plus there to see the great taoscar Hernandez Jose, including Cochito Cruz. He showed up late yesterday. He was shopping at the Citadel yesterday.
Speaker 13: I think you might have heard you, and Chief was like, sneak in there, Hey, my last point day strike hitting. You talked about this earlier. Dave Roberts was so emphatic on this spring training and going back to last year saying, hey, if half of your batchs in your career arguing to meet with two strikes, what do we do a better job in this era of baseball of making sure that you put yourself in a better position to be a better two stroke hitter, in a better contact hitter. That's all. And if you think about predictability on pictures, when you get the information from everybody else about where they throw to get even get ahead to put you away, usually the most predictable one is the one to put you away. So that helps guy two strikes, you go out there and say, let me anticipate what I might see you with you strikes, be confident enough that if I cut down my swing I'm gonna ask us sex, so hopefully this will continue for the rest of the season. Keep it simple, two strikes by contact, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Jose, we got to run. Dwayne McDonald's unplugging over here, so thank you for checking in. Well, we'll just there, he goes, Jose Motive part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast with number forty seven Luis Cochito Cruz and Pepe Iningez and Jose's right. Tonight, the Dodgers had seven hits with two strikes. Will Smith had two of those seven hits and drove in a run. And he's off to a great start. He is six for fourteen with six walks to start the year with a six hundred on base percentage. He was great in Tokyo, and he's seeing the baseball really well here in North America as well, along with catching a great pitching staff. Speaking of that great pitching staff, it continues tomorrow. The Dodgers get back Dustin May, who hasn't pitched in a Big League game since May of twenty twenty three, after he pitched in Anaheim. He already was feeling the emotions about tomorrow night, where he will be on the mound at Dodger Stadium again for the first time in almost two years.
Speaker 15: I feel like there's gonna be a lot more emotions for me because of all the time that I've had to think about it. When I first got called up for my debut, I mean, it was like a four day thing, so it was like kind of right on it. But for this, I mean, I've been I was waiting for I don't know, thirteen months, and then the esophagus thing happened, and then that changed my perspective on a lot of things in life. And it's gonna it's I'm excited, just gonna put it that way. I'm excited.
Speaker 16: With that being said, last time we saw you very emotional pitcher on the mound with that perspective that you gotten. Have you Are you the same emotional, fiery type of guy or is there a different.
Speaker 15: I definitely have. I definitely have the spark inside of me for sure. Still like it's in there. It's starting to wake up a little bit as I'm starting to get back into the games a little bit more. It was definitely very calm, collected, But as I'm starting to get back in the games and get kind of like my feeling and feet back under me. It's definitely definitely coming back.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's.
Speaker 15: Definitely going to be more on the shadowed side, but it's gonna it'll come out every now and then.
Speaker 2: Dustin May will be on the mound tomorrow night, making his first major League start since May of twenty twenty three. As you know, two elbow surgeries and then emergency esophagus surgery last year as he was making his way back and so close to possibly even helping the Dodgers down the stretch last year.
Speaker 3: But that was more than baseball.
Speaker 2: That was life threatening and certainly gave Dustin a new perspective not only on the game, but on life. And look, the real the facts are is that him and Tony Gonsolin, we're fighting for that fifth spot in the rotation, and Gonsolin probably had the edge because Dustin May more than likely could have pitched out of the bullpen. But with the back injury to Gonsolin, that opened the door up for Dustin May. And Tomorrow night is going to be really special for him and his family. Looking forward to seeing Dustin do well against this Braves lineup. Let's take a couple of more phone calls before we say goodnight, Jose and Bakersfield, thank you for being patient. Dwayne McDonald's very upset. I'm taking this call, Jose.
Speaker 6: Hey, David, how are you doing today?
Speaker 3: My man, I'm doing great.
Speaker 2: I can't get enough of Dodger baseball. I'm staying here all night.
Speaker 6: I can't either. If if you were on all night all morning, I'd be there, man, listen to you. So it's it's first of all, I'd like to point out it's an honor, as a privilege talking to you. Longtime listener off and on, first time caller.
Speaker 2: Uh wait a minute, long time listener off and onsome you turn me off for a period of times.
Speaker 3: Get tired of me.
Speaker 6: I can't lie to you, David. I can't. I can't listen to you all the time, David. But whenever I.
Speaker 2: Understand my wife feels the same way, Jose. But she can't go on and off when I go on the road trips. That's her off.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's harder for you. I can understand that, David. But hey, David, the reason for my call is, you know, David, I've been watching these these first six games, and pretty much the Saint scenario seems to be Popp seems to come be coming off in every single games. Regarding the starting rotation, now, my concern is with the starting rotation, these pictures are only going three, four or five. I don't think I've seen any of the pitchers go six innings. Is there gonna come a point where we should be concerned about the the overworking the bullpen.
Speaker 2: Not well to a certain point, like it was getting to that point last year at the end of the year when the Dodgers starters were dropping like flies. But you know, it's so early in the season. It's the first turn for the majority of these guys, so five innings is standard. The only aberration was Sazaki only going an inning in two thirds on Saturday night. That was a little extreme, and he can't continue to put the Dodgers in that predicament. But a night like tonight eighty pitches for glass now on five scoreless, that's what you would expect the first time through, and then as they start building up, they'll go deeper into games.
Speaker 6: That is correct, David. And I'm so excited to watch you tomorrow. See Dustin May hopefully throws out you know, he throws a good game. And the Dodgers also come up on top. So I'm excited to watch our destiny tomorrow.
Speaker 3: No doubt, Jose. I hope I keep you on Okay, hopefully the on off is over, Jose.
Speaker 6: No. No, From now on, it's every single after every game, I'll be here, David.
Speaker 2: Love it, Hose, Thank you, Jose, appreciate it. We'll talk to you soon. On and off, off, on and off listener. Wow, hey, I'm real. I remember Charlie Manuel when he was managing the Phillies. Somebody told me you got to go down and meet Charlie Manuel. You will love him. He's your type of guy. So we were talking in the visiting dugout here at Dodger Stadium, and they were right. Charlie Manuel was my type of guy. And you know, he was asking about my family, my kids, all that, and I said, yeah, I'm not sure, you know, doing this job with a wife and kids if my marriage is going to last. And he said, let me tell you this in his old Southern drawl. You do this as long as you can, and your marriage will last longer because when you go away for a couple of weeks, your wife will miss you, and you give her a break from you, just like Jose and Bakersfield. Let's take one final call Trey in West La. Walk us off tonight on Dodger.
Speaker 17: Talk, David my man, thank you so much. We'll make you quick because I.
Speaker 3: Are on and off to Trey. Are we on and off? Are you on all the time? I can't get enough?
Speaker 6: No, all the time.
Speaker 17: I already talked to Tim when I called in from TYPEI in the first Tokyo series of the year. Oh okay, I just oh yeah, I'm always here, brother, real quick. I just want to say, like we talked last year, we didn't get too low when things were bad. We don't get too high when things are good. We stay humble, we do the work. We'll be rewarded.
Speaker 6: And I don't want to.
Speaker 17: Leave on a bittersweet note. This is a blessing. But let's get a shout out to Nancy b Hesley, our beloved organist thirty years almost she gave us her musical talent at Dodgers Stadium, and she's looking down and we should just be thankful we had her for when we did, and all the wonderful music and everything that she gave to the Dodgers unsung hero part of the team.
Speaker 2: And that's a great way to end the show. Beautiful, I love it. That's a great way to end the show. Call back anytime. We all love Nancy B. And like I said on Saturday Night when they gave out the Oral hers Scheiser replica Jerseys Nancy B. I remember Vin Scully always pointing out that she was playing Master of the House from the Phantom of the Opera for Oral Herscheizer, because Dodgers Stadium was his house and he certainly was the master of it when he was pitching in nineteen eighty eight and until he left or was allowed to leave for Cleveland. So yes, we all appreciate and miss Nancy b. Indeta rule has taken the torch and has ran with it. He is awesome, the best in baseball as well, all right. Like I mentioned, tomorrow night, Dustin May will be back on the mound in a Major League stadium for the first time since May seventeenth, twenty twenty three, going up against all adversary of the Dodgers, left hander Chris Saale. Our coverage begins tomorrow night at six o'clock with Tim Kits and Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck six o'clock, First Pitch seven ten with Rick Monday and Steven Nelson. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald, hey he started the car already. Thanks to ye back at our Burbanks Studios, and thanks to you for listening. Hopefully we're not on and off. Hopefully you're always downloading the show if you missed any of it on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: And also you can hear our full.
Speaker 2: Conversation with La Dodger home run King Eric Harross on the iHeartRadio app once again. The final score tonight from Dodgers Stadium in front of fifty eight sixteen. The Dodgers improved their record a six to zero with a six to one win over the Braves. Coming up next, Ben Mallor on Fox Sports Radio. Have a great rest of your night.
Speaker 3: See you