Speaker 1: Hey, Welcome to React around Them the podcast really keep you updated on all things reacting label. This show is sponsored by ray Gun and produced by Top and Devs and Void. Top and Devs is very create Top and deves to get top and pay and recognition. We're working on interesting problems and making meaningful community contributions. And Void is a company that provides the most client friendly business model for software outsourcing. With Onvoid, clients can higher design and software development services and only pay once the task is delivered and improved.
Speaker 2: In today's episode, we will.
Speaker 1: Talk about React Medium image Zoom, which is a library that allows you to create the same effect that Medium pass with their images, that allows you to basically click on an image and it zooms up and takes up your entire screen in a battery nice animation, smooth animation, and then you can just go back to your navigation afterwards and put damage back where it once was. So if you like that effect that Medium has and you want to have it on your website or on your rap application, today we're going to be talking about this library and some other things related to the creator of this library, So let me introduce him. But first, my name is Lucas Paganini, your host in the podcast, and joining me in today's episode is also the host Peter Ossa. Hi everyone, now our very special guest that I was just mentioning the creator of this library, Robert Pierce, which is a software engineer working professionally for over thirteen years. We'll focus on JavaScript and typescript, but also interested in some other cool things such Haskell, Rust and of course, as all good developers are really nice, interesting functional programming. He was also a teacher at a few coding book camps and also spoke at meettubs conferences and has been using reacts since twenty thirteen. He also contributes a lot to open source, so if you enjoy this library, make sure to check out his GitHub sponsor page and help him out so we can keep this awesome project up and running. Robert, thank you so much for being on the show.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me, Lucas.
Speaker 1: Awesome Robert. Let's just get to it, man. I try to give a really quick pitch about the library, but do you want to extend it a bit further? Are there any specific details about the library that I think it's relevant for our audience to be aware of before we dive into how you built it and how it works.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's it's important to you know, talk about how a project that is, I guess eight years old now, you know, can drift a little bit. And so it started out trying to be a clone of what Medium was doing. And then as time went on and based on you know, what we could do in the browser, all the different things we have access to now, like you know, picture elements, and you know, all the different scenarios people might have with wanting to zoom divs with background images or you know objects fit and pain cover, object position, all these different possibilities. You know, where the project is now is you know, it's drifted a little bit from how the exact one on Medium feels, but I think it still maintains the essence. Awesome. Yeah, that doesn't make sense.
Speaker 1: And and that's a long time, like eighty years maintaining that. First off, congrats for maintaining, because a lot of open source projects they just get abandoned in a way shorter period of time. I do want to know, what do you think was the success of this project being maintained for so long? Were you able to find other maintainers? Are you the solo meting journey, Like, what advice could you give to other people thinking of maintaining or creating open source projects.
Speaker 2: That's a great question. So a bit of it so that it's too it's twofold. For me, I think it's partially the people who help contribute to it, which can take the form of just people using it and raising issues. I can take the form of people wanting to solve some of the issues, as well as some people who just have ideas that they think could could help and they are willing to talk that through with you. So that's one aspect of it. And the other aspect for me was, Hey, this hobby project that I thought was cool and that I kind of wanted for my own thing. Things started to become popular and then it not being you know, perfect or really exactly what I needed all the time, or maybe I didn't like some of the code, or I got more educated, I got more skilled at react or a JavaScript or was something. It started to be something that I knew people were going to look at, and so I wanted it. I wanted to be proud of it, and so that's something that kept me coming back is like, this is a kind of like a like a people have like dot file gardens or like code gardens. This was my like react code garden that I is something that I could keep tending to and as I grew in skill, I could then apply that skill to the product. So yeah, I think having a supportive community of people that use it and want it to get better. Plus you know, knowing that this is something that you're putting out into the world and wanting that to reflect you know, your skill and your attention to detail. I think those things made this project what it is today. I like that. I like that very much.
Speaker 1: Like think about it as a place where you can output your growth as a developer and kind of like look back onto it and keep rebuilding it, just literally rewriting it as you gain more and more knowledge and you feel that you are able to do a better job.
Speaker 2: I like that interesting.
Speaker 1: And but with regards to other contributors, were you able to like create this net and how is that or or is it actually mainly you.
Speaker 2: The main contributor. It's definitely mainly me, And I think that's something. So something that's important to remember over time is that, like when people get involved with open source projects, it might be. I mean, it might be on a one off basis, or you know, at best, it's probably on a temporary basis. You know, asking people to show up for something that they don't get paid for is a is a big ask, and it gets harder and harder as people you know, you know, change jobs. Maybe they had an easier they have more time, more free time with their job before, maybe the new job is more demanding, maybe their life scenarios change, or maybe they just you know, they're not interested in contributing anymore. And so I've had a handful of people that have been over the over the years during different time periods we're super helpful with they're you know, testing things out, coming up with ideas, contributing some code. But eventually that would kind of is allowed. But in a way that's okay, where it's like, okay, you know, we we got through this thing. I really appreciate your time. Thank you so much. You know, you're a contributor. You're in the read me and they all contributs section, and every now and then I might try to ping them on, you know, an issue or pull request and say, you know, hey, have you experienced this as well? But you know, these things can be a little bit temporary, and so that's what I've tried to do, is like, if someone's asking a question, try to respond as immediately as I can. If I can't fix the issue for a long time, which is sometimes the case, you know, I'll try to check back in periodically and say, hey, I haven't forgotten about this. I haven't forgotten about you. The person who's right, you know, putting yourself out there to raise an issue online, and so I'm trying to do that. I try to be kind to everyone, but it doesn't mean I can always solve the issue quickly, but I can respond quickly, and that I think that keeps people coming back. And I think open source projects that are clear with where the project is and where it's going, like is it active, is it? Is this something you're not going to fix? Can you just respond to them and just say, hey, I don't have time for this right now. Stuff like that will I think be useful in maintaining some sort of community, even if that community isn't involved very often.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that does make sense, like thinking about the people there are submitting issues and just using it as contributors as well. And in a way that that is very true, Like they're giving feedback on what they seem is missing, So in a way they're definitely contributing as well and helping you make better decisions for the future of the product.
Speaker 2: That's nice.
Speaker 1: Okay, I would like to get into the intricacies of how the code actually works. But before, Peter, do you have any anything you want to say?
Speaker 2: Question?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well, I think I have one question on its on the basis of like maintain also like maintaining the open source project right too, or that maybe you're kind though primarily the meaningful enough for that, or like you have like you have into the prog that maybe, for example, if you are most available kind of like assign it to.
Speaker 2: So so like Yeah, I couldn't quite make out the full question, so I'll try to repeat it. Was it about if I'm too busy and assigning issues to other people? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: Do you have like your system that helps you maybe if you're kind of engaged, maybe you can't actually work on that issue and connacally signed with so on like you have that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've not had too much luck with that. One thing I've tried before was during hactober Fest, but I think was it. I think it's Digital Ocean puts that on in October or yeah, in October. And I've you know, labeled some issues as hactober Fest before, and I think it was a few years ago. I had one or two issues get picked up, and I tried to write the issues as to make it as clear and plain as I could about what the issue is, where I think the problem or the solution may be in the code, what the expected outcome would be, And a few of those have been picked up, but right now, I mean it's mostly just me. I don't really have anyone to turn to. Even some people I still work with that have contributed to the project, you know, they've got other things going on. So if an issue comes up, it's me. I can I can ask people. You know. What I do in the issues is if there's something that comes up, you know, I will ask them to please provide some sort of reproduce reproduction case, whether that's in code, sandbox or a project that they create, and if they don't do it, someone else might show up and do that for them, which is really nice. And then I can interact and go back and forth with them or they can sort of figure out, you know, the best way is to set the issue up themselves in the issue, and then that really helps me save a lot of time and you know, dive in, find out what the problem is and say, oh, okay, all right, let's let's get it there. I'm fixing. Nice. Okay, let's oh sorry, sorry, Peter, go ahead. Yeah, yeah, that's nice.
Speaker 3: Actually, I think it's actually very common that we do like taking all this make sure that it's kind of community because and I it's actually kind of a very large amounts of working end to kind of you know, under the issues.
Speaker 2: I'm also kind of intact with the people placing the issues.
Speaker 3: So this is actually very as a I think probably you can actually even if you don't mind, maybe on the shoe maybe we can actually ask from assist and like people who come much of it to maintain a work. I don't make it's fun because I know that the kind of cool if maybe you have like like maybe.
Speaker 2: To maintaining as well.
Speaker 3: That yeah, to put home beyond your kind.
Speaker 1: Of yeah, yeah, for sure. Okay, let's get a bit into the intricacies of the code, because I think there are multiple different ways in which you could have coded that, especially now with view transitions, which are recently we're lending on Chrome. But I'm not sure if there already stable in all the browsers as well. But I'm sure that you didn't use that because the library exists for a very long time. I also don't even know if now that this exists, if it would be a better way to do this, or if it's better suited for other use cases. But yeah, I'd like to let's just go through how this is right now, and then we can even talk about if you if you have an urge, like an itch to refactor it even further now to adhere to modern.
Speaker 2: Technologies and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: But right now, how does it work?
Speaker 2: All right? So this this is gonna be some nitty gritty stuff. I'll start at the top. I'll start with like, what is actually happening. I do want to get to where the project eventually will go.
Speaker 4: But I think we'll say that for a minute. I think it's cool it involves web components, and we'll see. So the way that this works is based on the need of what it needs to do. So what it needs to do is if you're gonna if you're gonna put something on the screen that is clickable, So like if someone can click on it or tap on it, then it needs to also be accessible to a keyboard or other assistive device that can you know, focus through a page. Okay, so we need to be able to focus on it with a keyboard.
Speaker 2: We need to be able to set that up to be also screen reader accessible. And people have said to me in the past, they're like, well, why why are you doing all of this with modal Why are you doing all this stuff with keyboard? Like blind people with blindness don't Why would they want to enhance a you know, an image, Why would they want to make it bigger on the screen. And when I hear that, I politely inform people that's you know, it's not just people that are blind that use keyboards and screen readers, people with low visual acuity that could be cognitive, people with cognitive disabilities. There's many, many, many reasons why people might use other things than just a mouse. So the simplest, absolute simplest thing you could do is, okay, I click on that, and I you know, just transform that image that's on the screen right there and make it take up the whole screen. But you know, that's modal behavior. And so if someone we're trying to do this with a keyboard, or they were using with the screen reader and they were blind, you know, they might of that image still up taking up the whole screen, but they might be trying to navigate through everything that's behind it. So that's why it uses a modal. Modals have very a modal dialogue. You know, those are very specific rules where none of the content, none of the you know, input controls, anything behind that modal should not be available to a keyboard, screen reader, any assistant device. So okay, that means we need to be in a model now, so what do we need to do to get there. We've got an image and we want to make it seem like where we're taking that image and we're zooming it up to the you know, the viewport screen size. Well, how do we do that with a modal, because a modal is a separate element. What we do is take that original image and I'll get a little more deep into this in a second, but we take that image, we open a modal dialogue with that image inside the modal dialogue, so it's two different images. Now with the same source, you put it on top of where it is on the page, and then you scale it to the viewport. Now, there's some problems that you run into with this if you if you just try to you know, there's a little bit of math to figure out. Okay, well, it's the within the height looks at what are the dimensions of the image? Do I need to scale it more you know x, or more x or more y. But the problems get compounded by Safari and specifically iOS Safari. Both macros and iOS do this, but it's worse on iOS. If you start with an image that's small and you try to transform it above you know, transform scale you know, two three, four. Safari only have the image quality that was originally rendered. So even if you haven't a bigger image or a really really big image, if you render it really small, that's the best quality you're gonna get. So it scales up. Sorry, when you scale it up, you lose the quality. So it's a big problem if you're trying to have something that you know enhances the image makes it bigger. So instead, what you have to do to do all this is figure out in reverse how big it's going to get. When you're doing the zooming and you put the dialogue on top of the image, you scale the image down so between zero and one, and then as the animation goes, you eventually scale to a scale of one, and that scale of one is whatever is the biggest the image can get in the viewport. You also have to take into account what the maximum size of the image and make sure you don't scale beyond the maximum side of the image and make them blurry. So the image is eight hundred by eight hundred, but you're on a really big screen, the only one to zoom to that amount. So there's a lot of little things that go into it. But to wrap that initial bit back up, there's a dialogue that's invisible that gets put on the screen, and the image that we're zooming is put on top of the image that's underneath the dialogue, and then we scale it up to the viewport. And when you click on it again or press escape to get out of this modal experience, it does the opposite and puts it back down.
Speaker 1: I like the trouble shooting, like you explaining the problem and how you tackle it.
Speaker 2: A few questions. So first let's.
Speaker 1: Say that the image is very tall, so it's the height is very big. Do you always make it fit the viewboard or would you allow it to be scrollable once you once you zoom in, it always fits.
Speaker 2: It always fits the viewport, whatever that is. And so you know, whether that's a feature, I mean, that's what I made it to, but I mean whether that works for everyone or not is kind of up to them, but it is. It is a way to see one image, you know, that might be bigger than your viewport actually in the viewport, but you know, it's it just depends on what your use case is with that. And you know, there's a you know, there's a there's a use case where you scroll down and maybe you scroll past an image because it's you know, taller than your viewport and you've got a little bit of it in the window. You click on that, it comes down and it may actually, you know, if it's taller and wider, it may just shrink it so it fits into the viewport. But that's what it does, okay, okay.
Speaker 1: And the the thing that is actually being skilled up or down is just the image itself. Because the model, as you said, you you fix its dimensions because you can't think her the dimensions of the model. Uh it like you can, but then you would run into problems in a future situations. So you just fix the the dimensions of the model to be the entire view board, and then you just scal up the image that you duplicated and created inside the model.
Speaker 2: That's right. It also allows for when for pinching to zoom and panning around, so you've got to write this code for all that, because there's also code for you know, gesture like swiping as well as mouse wheel. And in the past, what I allowed for was when you would swipe, it would just scroll the page and you know, put the put the thing back, put the image back where it went to before. But that was a very difficult thing to achieve with the modal, with you know, the animation all this stuff. So what I've got now is the way that I think most models are supposed to work, where you disabled the body, the scroll on the body, and then if someone does a scrolling action, so if it's like a mouse wheel or gesture or something, it doesn't actually scroll anything, but it will make the the image on zoom that's the word I use on zoom. And then you can keep going about your business. On the page, you.
Speaker 1: Mentioned a few accessibility concerns and you mentioned like the ability to close on ask et cetera. How did you use the how did you create the model itself?
Speaker 2: The model element?
Speaker 1: Because we now have a dialogue element on HMO, I say, now, it's been there for a very long time, but I find that very few people actually use it, and a lot of people just create a div and put it on the as a child of the topmost element, sometimes the body itself, and then they position it whatsoever. Basically create a portal, right, and then you have to write all those accessibility stuff yourself from scratch.
Speaker 2: How is your approach?
Speaker 1: Did you use the div and created all the accessibility features from that or did you use a dialogue element?
Speaker 2: So my initial creation used I mean, going back to twenty sixteen, I wouldn't looked at the first handful of commits and I was doing a full React on dot render into you know, because now we have React do create portal, but create portal is essentially just saying, hey, document, create element div, add that dive to the body and put something inside of it. So that's what I was doing. But I was doing a React or sorry, React dot render. This might even be this was probably before React. It was just really like React dot render or React on that render the ad equivalences. It was rendering a whole new like React what do you call that React tree in essence, like an whole new React instance. And you know, over time I was I was using a div, and as I got more skilled and accessibility, I said, oh, okay, there's a bunch of rules here. We've got to figure this out. Because if you were just using a div, even if you use like you know, ari emodal true and roll equals dialogue on a dive, the browser is not gonna disable all of the content in the background. It's not going to hide it. So you could theoretically, you know, keep pressing tab and go down the screen, or you could use screen reader and read the content behind that, and so okay, so you've got to well, back then, what you had to do was conditionally go and put aria hidden on everything and tab index negative one on everything else, or create what's called a tab trap so that you could never tab outside of the model. Maybe it would wrap around, Well, there's not really there's not really anything to wrap around in this component. But anyway, that was a very big headache and I didn't do it right for a while. Eventually, when dialogue, when the dialogue elements became, you know, baseline generally available, I refactored to use that. But that comes with its own problems as well. So the dialogue element comes with like a placeholder overlay. It comes with its own overlay style. I don't know if it's different for browser, but it comes with some default browser style street So I didn't want that because I wanted to animate in my background. I didn't want it to be instant, so I wanted to animate in the background. I also found at the time, I think it's been it's improved a bit. If you didn't have role equals dialogue on the dialogue element, then not every browser screen reader combination would work quite like you wanted it to. Same thing with having arimodal true on there, but I mean you would need the rimodal true anyway. But the roll equals dialogue was something that needed to be added. So so I'm getting into the weeds here, but I am using the dialogue element now and I'm using a little bit of the of its internal on close. And also I think it's called it open modal or show modal, I think is what the the native API is for that. But yeah, I'm using a dialogue now and that you get all that stuff that I just talked about being a problem. You get almost all of that for free, which is great. You know with the back to the native style sheet overlay background color, but that is very simple. Like in the CSS for the project, I just disable that and I do my own sort of rendering in the component and state in the component to let me know when I should be animating something in and not transitioning something like the background in. So you can have like a white background, you can have a black background any color you want, and then that should animate in and that's all customizable if you want to change the CSS. Okay, a lot of that is just.
Speaker 1: We guess it doesn't depend a lot on React. So I wonder why didn't you separate it, or maybe already did. Why didn't in't you separated the core native functionalities in a native lib and then you just use that in the React lib because then you can also allow other frameworks to do it as well.
Speaker 2: So I spent a lot of time in maybe twenty twenty nineteen trying to do that. So I renamed the project from React Medium image Zone to just you know, get hub, Slack, our peers, image zoom, and I had a branch in there where I was, you know, doing it as a mono rico, so I was. My plan was to have a core Vanilla das library and then have React and get some of my friends that know view and you know, Angular and whatever to create rappers for it, so then you could have packages for each one. And now we've got the core functionality, which is all native stuff all sorted out, and then you've got wrappers for each each framework, each environment, whatever people need. That was a great plan and I started doing that and I thought I'd settled on an API, but it kind of fizzled out. I worked on it for a couple of weeks while on vacation, which was probably not how I should have spent my vacation, but it you know, maybe this was early twenty twenty. I forget it might have been. It might have been the beginning of covid, but you know that I worked on that, found an API, but then I ran into issues. The code was getting kind of ugly and it fell to the side, and I left it for a while. I came back and looked at it, and I just I wasn't satisfied. So I ring in with the.
Speaker 5: Project, back to React Medium Image Zoom, and what I wanted to do was fix a few things, add a few features, and then see where the project was and if it.
Speaker 2: Made sense and if I had the time. Then started thinking about something else, and I started to realize that I maybe just pure vanilla JS wasn't the way I wanted to go, and so I kind of held off on that. And I'll come back to that in just a second. So what I did is I started working. At the time, it was version four, and what version four did is very different than what it does right now. So what it does right now was kind of like is builds on top of version three. But version four I had this moment where I thought, wouldn't it be cool if whatever someone puts inside of the Zoom components we just zoomed that. It doesn't matter what it is, anything, texts, you know, gives that have shapes, whatever it is. Take the bounding box of that, what of that stuff that is inside the zoom component, you know, a child of the zoom component and just zoom that up to the top. My problem, My problem with that was, well, how do you have a button? Oh gosh? And so what I did is I put a button that covered the entire image so that when you click on it, you're clicking on a button. But then there was there was. I just had a bunch of issues that I ran into, and I wanted to directify these for this version five thing. And I wanted to also do something that I don't know if anyone else has done, which is support every type of support every type of image that you can think of, which is, like I said before, images with object fit, object position loading equals lazy doing. Uh was it a ACNC loading for it as well? You know divz that have a background image, background size, background position, you know, making sure that any picture with whatever the source is, figures, SPGs, you name it. I wanted all of these things to work because I wanted this for myself and I've seen other people asking about that in the past. So instead of just doing the vanilla thing, I readd this over a long period of time. In version five, I spent many nights. Unfortunately, you know, my wife will My wife said she'll listen to this, even though she doesn't care about programming. But I spent many nights, you know, after she went to bed on the couch, losing sleep, getting way less than I should, trying to figure out the math behind Okay, if I haven't image element, but I've got object fit contained, and the image is technically it looks like it's scaled down, and you know, like if you were to look at it in the Web Inspector, you would see, you know, like a blue box around the entire image element, but the actual thing you see is smaller within that. So I spent a lot of time trying to figure out the exact math that browsers use to scale that down based on a lot of different things, based on the image, the native sort of that was the natural width and height of the image. How much space does it have to work with? What is the object position? You know, object position can be pixels, it can be twenty five percent, seventy five percent, you name it. There's all these different scenarios. How do we put an image on top of that? In the moddle to scale that up and make it look like it's one seamless experience where you just click and it gets big and click again and it gets small. So spent a lot of time on that, and that's where I got to dispersion five. And now that things have kind of slowed down, I've got most of the features that I need. Some still some bugs here and there, but most of the features that I need. That's where I think is it good spot to start to stop and say, do I have the time to think about making this maybe into the web component? So yeah, I'm not there yet, but I have two young you know, two young daughters, and so I don't really have that time. And I have many other interests as well, for open source things and little tools that I want to exist. But that's where I am now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that does make a lot of sense. I was actually asking it because I was personally interested because I use Angular a lot, and I really liked the library that you create them, and I think it's a it's a great project.
Speaker 2: It's like that.
Speaker 1: Thing that you can easily reuse.
Speaker 2: For other projects whatever, whatever.
Speaker 1: You have a place where you are showing images.
Speaker 2: I think most blocks could benefit from it.
Speaker 1: Honestly, they all could and should have this functionality. It's a really nice functionality. So I would love being a which you use this in other projects that are not React based, Yeah, I completely understand your your context, and honestly, just the fact that this exists in React, there's already a blessing on its own, so nothing to complain on that. Crazy to see to understand the complexity of it, right, because once you look at it, you think, okay, like I would be able to do it real quick, like a day's work, but then you see, oh no, there are so many details, like, oh my god, really hard to do that, really well. I also noticed, on the at least on the first storybook example, that the image already starts with the WIT fully expanded, And do you have a way to customize that so that it actually starts with the WIT that is being shown and then it expands from it, you know, like if you have an example where you're just showing a little window of it, then it starts with that, and as it grows, that expends the rest of the image, and once it closes, it closes the same way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, kind of, And it's it's not one hundred percent seamless. But so in the examples, there's a div image gallery where you can change the aspect ratio And this is on the storybook examples, and so you can change an athlete ratio from sixteen nine to four x three and that changes the shape of the you know, of the div that the image is a background image of. And what the way that it works is it figures out, okay, is it background size cover, is it background size contained? You name it? And then when it does the like consuming for a background uh background cover, Well, what it'll try to do is say, okay, is the image itself bigger than its container? If so, when we put that, when we put that, imagine a model on top, try to take that into account to represent exactly what the image in OA. So I don't have a way right now of unfurling like a flag unfurls, unfurling the edges as it zooms to get bigger. What it does right now is it puts the image on top of where that one is at the original sorry, with the original images like full dimensions. So let's say you've got a really really really tall image, but it's in a square and with background size cover, it will mean sorry, you might hear children in the background. Now, you know, instead of just zooming that, instead of just zooming that you know, displayed box that's on the screen, which is what I did in version four. What it does it will zoom the original image and make it try to make it look seamless. But what it does is it will if you've got that little box, it'll put the image on top of that box and then zoom it. If I had a way to sort of like I said, unfuril or like slowly reveal part of the image, then like I would, I would totally accept contributions for that to make it seem like it's just growing out from the box. That would be great. Alas I don't have the I don't have a good idea for how to do that.
Speaker 1: Reliably, gotcha, Yeah it does. It's way more complex when you when you say it all out with all the details.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, oh yeah. Many nights were lost to to just going cross I trying to figure out, you know, the the right calculation to make this MAW sense for every use case possible, which by the way, not everyone has that use case. And so another thing that would be good long term for this project is like right now, I think bundled and menified in jesip it's like four point eighty nine kilabytes. But that's to me is still too large. I would prefer to potentially have, well, I guess that's that's the whole package. That's the whole package. I would prefer to have different components that include increasing amounts of complexity, so that when you know you only have one base case, that's maybe I have a regular image, nothing special. I only want the code for that, so that tree shaking would eventually tree shake away everything that's that's not being used, so that you get the bare minimum, the bare minimum stuff that you need right now, the logic for figuring out all of the magic that goes into you know, like I said, the objects fit the background images. All of that is mixed in with the other code to try to figure out, Okay, what kind of image is it, how big do I make it on the screen, what other styles so I need to apply? What kind of transformal kind of scale? All of that is new together. I think it'd be really need eventually to separate all that so that people's actual bundle size and impact would just be less. I wouldn't. I wouldn't do those as like separate packages. I feel like that's a bit much, But if I could tree shake out everything, that would be awesome.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, gotcha? Okay, all right, dude, I'm really enjoying this conversation honestly, Like I am very curious about this, and I'm liking the intricacies of how you got to But I realize that we have been talking for more than forty minutes already, so I apologize the audience. I think you should maybe start wrapping up. Is there anything that you'd like to say before we start wrapping.
Speaker 2: Up in general about the about the project?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it could be about the project, like anything maybe that I didn't ask or we didn't cover, but that you feel is interesting enough they should be mentioned. Uh.
Speaker 2: I did just remember that I didn't answer your question about the transitions and stuff. I could answer that real quickly. I don't know how that would work accessibility wise. That's my only concern. I would love, for, like any for anything I make, for there to be some sort of native way to do that so that so that my project doesn't have to exist anymore. I think that that's not the end goal for some of my all of my works, is I want it to be made so that it's not needed anymore, because you know, maintaining something and it takes effort, it takes time. You know, it's an it's extra and extra dependency that someone has to maintain themselves and say, oh did Robert break something? Oh do I actually want this upgrade? You know, it's a lot of work overall. So if the if the browsers could come up with something, I doubt they I thought they would for this, But if they had something that would be great, if few transitions could solve this easily, I would happily, happily, you know, deprecate this and say it's in maintenance mode, but we're not. I don't know if it's very yet. Okay, yeah, that doesn't make sense.
Speaker 1: I think that's a that's a good end go. When you're creating something that you want to be flexible engineeric enough, it's going to be tough for browsers to actually implement it with the love of customization. That's like it's a very specific feature, but who knows. They have implemented a few niche stuff in the past that.
Speaker 2: Maybe it turns out. Yeah, man, okay, awesome.
Speaker 1: And Peter, do you have any questions, notes, anything else you want to say before start wrapping?
Speaker 2: Up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I think my question of the work components side too. I think I probably wanted to get an idea of why you actually use a web component, the aspect of it's maybe just for you as maybe for people in the wonder worlds components.
Speaker 2: How did that? Yeah, I think so. The reason I want to go with I think I want to go with a web component is I I hold this you know, potentially spicy idea close to my heart. That is, the further away you get from a core technology, the harder something is to maintain. And with a web component, what I see there is something that is you know, native to the web. You know, it's it's it's gotten a lot more support in the last couple of years. I think that if you think about web components not in the same way as you do a React component, where you've got you know, the tree of components that have render cycles and everything, but if you think of them as a decorator, something that you know, really enables progressive enhancement, then I think this is something that fits perfectly there where I've got an image, if I'm rendering something, rendering something, you know, on the server, I don't need all this extra stuff. I don't need all this extra stuff around but you know, clicking and zooming and all that. It's just an image. And if someone's got JavaScript disabled, which like I do for by default on every site I go to, I enable it if the site doesn't work. But for people that have JavaScript disabled, like, they shouldn't be you know, impacted negatively. So they should be able to use my imageym library or form or whatever you know, without extra passle. And so if I use this, if I make this into a web component, it can be something that you know, people fetch however they want through m PM, through a CDN whatever, And if they up their image in this web component, then they'll get that extra decoration, that extra functionality, but it's something that's not critical to how their do. Like, I don't want to make it, make a change and block somebody's you know, next build, or give them warnings or errors because you know, I included a document or a window reference, you know, that kind of thing. So I'd rather just be able to be applied to any framework anywhere. That's why I'm thinking about component. Yeah, I think it would.
Speaker 1: Be nice to have them, all right, men, So let's do a quick round of promos and then we can wrap it up. So you are a very humble person given all the work that you have put in out like, but I do think that maybe there could be something that we can promote from from what you're doing, at least your website. I think you have some really valuable content there. But yeah, is there anything that you'd like to promote to the audience, Maybe some material for an empty go look at on their own time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Sure, So I've got to my website. The short ur l for it. It's just RWP dot I m and or Robert W. Pierce dot com. And you know, I I've got a number of a number of blog posts on there, from you know, Haskell to functional programming and JavaScript with Randa and you know, rewriting things like you know, like map functions and you know, like like a rate up prototype dot map and then going just off the rails with that. But most of the content I've written on there is because it's something that I've explained or had or worked too, you know, help level somebody else up on. And I thought, oh this, maybe not just write this down because I've explained this five times. So if somebody listening to this has you know, React, typescript, JavaScript, Bash, you know Haskell specifically Hackle, the static side generator, which my side is built with. If people have any you know, take a look at my side and say, well, I would love to know more about X. I have no clue, send me an email, you know, contact me somehow and I will. I'll write something up and we can make a blog post about it and you can read about it and we can share it with the world. So I'm I'm happy to share whatever I can and you know, learn a few things along the way myself. Awesome.
Speaker 1: Awesome, all right, yeah, and I do think there are a lot of interesting content out there that you created to would definitely recommend the audience to go check out some of your other posts. Whereas for me, I'm just gonna mention the two companies that produce the show. Again, So if you're interested in all the subjects besides React, Top and depths that has a lot of other podcasts as well. I host myself a podcast about a are but there are others as well, So definitely check out top and depths if you want to explore some other technology topics. And if you are a company or you know someone that is looking for staff augmentation or outsourcing particular project, would definitely recommend checking out on Void. Is you and v O I d like on the opposite Void dot com. They have this really interesting business model that is very very client from client friendly, Like clients don't have to pay by the hour, which tends to be a huge problem for them because things usually go over time and over budget and then they lose their predictability.
Speaker 2: But yeah, do definitely check out.
Speaker 1: On Void dot com if you're if you know someone that has the problems with traditional agency models and it's looking to explore something different.
Speaker 2: So yeah, to me, it's going to be just that, how about you, Peter?
Speaker 3: Also for me more see more, I just want to piece the course on what company since that was the idea of behind the packy as we are.
Speaker 2: I think my the.
Speaker 3: Course is about the building and like like simple projectism, it's loose leads, So yeah, I think it goes worre checking out since yeah, I think work Companies was just in this party. It's really really hopeful for the users actually have an idea of what the components. I'll usually help in developments.
Speaker 1: Yeah, awesome, awesome, all right, Uh well, Robert, thank you so much for taking the time to be here. We I mean, I really appreciate you taking up the time and the end of the day, you have a lot of other contents, so I feel free to hit me up whenever you want and we can schedule another one.
Speaker 2: I will. I will look you up.
Speaker 1: On LinkedIn and connect with you, so I feel free to reach me out there if you want to hop again. And yeah, man, really appreciate at the beginning you said this was your first podcast. I gotta say you handle it very well. I really like your genetics. I think you you're a great at this man, So yeah, do check out some others.
Speaker 2: I think you have the you have a.
Speaker 1: Way for this kind of of content and for the audience.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for sticking with us for so long. This was definitely a long one. I hope you learned a lot from it. I know I did. Thanks a lot.