Speaker 1: Why Ebody and What's that.
Speaker 2: Yo?
Speaker 3: Welcome back to the Crash Course Pod, the music podcast for music heads by a music head. I'm your host, Ashtoney, and after last episode's deep dive into releases like Sofa gos Mania to Roy Woods's Project, and our other previous episodes. If you haven't heard them, go ahead and check it out. After this one, we're tuning our attention to the genre that has become a global machine. I'm talking, I'm talking kpop. So we're not just talking about a fleating trend anymore. We're talking about a dominant structural force in the American music market. And there's one recent phenomenon that perfectly encapsulates the shift, the fictional girl group Hunterricks. I know, you guys know exactly what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: I was a ghost, I was alone.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm done hiding. Now I'm shining like I'm bin to bay me dreaming. Honw came so fun now believe we were up, up, up. It's a moment, you know what, I gether. We're glowing, gonna be gonna be golden.
Speaker 3: I know you guys know, I know I butchered those melodies, but I'm a little sick right now, I'm not sick. I was gonna lie, but I just can't hit the notes today. I can't hit the notes. But Huntricks what inspired this episode because, as you know, which you probably don't, Huntricks, that song Golden has gone like triple platinum. In my home, me and my two daughters, even my son, we'll just break out in songs like K pop Demon Hunters is our family movie, Like, we love this movie. We've been watching it for so long, and that out the soundtrack. I was gonna say the album or you can say the album, but the soundtrack has so many hits. Like Soga Boys and Hunterricks, they are both pulling their weight with the hits. So we were kind of just doing karaoke and singing all the songs the other day, and I'm like, you know what, I'm gonna do an episode on K pop inspired by hunt Tricks. It's interesting too, because if you watch Luaista on YouTube, he did on his second channel Luaista extras like two days maybe three days now, three days ago November twenty eighth, I believe he did an episode on the Dark Side of K Pop, which I watched, and that was actually the day I decided myself, I was gonna do this episode, so it's crazy. K pop is in the air. Everyone's thinking about K pop right now. However, on here, we're not gonna talk about the dark Side. You can go see Luaista after this episode and watch The Dark Side to keep it light and keep it strictly musical. So let me set the stage the post k pop reality, shall I say, let's kick this off with the shaker. Remember how I was telling you about Hunterricks it went triple platinum in my home. Well, the fictional K pop group Huntricks that I was just telling you about from the animated Netflix film K Pop Demon Hunters. What if I told you that they've been topping charts. They dropped a song called Golden and it wasn't just a novelty hit. It was a real chart topper. I'm talking about number one on the Billboard Hot one hundred, the first song by an all woman group of three or more to do that since Destiny's Child in two thousand and one. Now, I was ten years old when Destiny's Child did that, and that was like the topic of the discussion back then. And so imagine this Hunterricks. It is a fictional girl group. Mind you. EJ. We'll get to EJ in a minute wrote the song and the two other girls, all Beautiful, are performing the song, but literally Destiny's Child has gotten taken out by Hunterricks and their single Golden. This wasn't a viral TikTok moment. This was a commercial, platinum selling smash that top charts in over thirty countries. Why did an animated group succeed? Where will will wear?
Speaker 2: Real?
Speaker 3: Ones sometimes struggle any ideas. I think it's the K pop formula applied perfectly. The music was written by industry veterans like EJ, who wrote for groups like Espa and La Seraphim. The production was world class. It bypassed the need for a year's long global promotional tour, in intense training, high come that visuals, multimedia storytelling. It was all so authentic and it rivaled real chart topping hits. Huntricks's success proves that K pop is no longer just a Korean export. It's a post k pop reality. This is a system, a factory for superstardom that can be deployed anywhere, even for a cartoon group. And as we see, it works, like would you say that.
Speaker 1: It works.
Speaker 3: Exactly and to understand how this formula is perfected, you need to know about the engine behind the music, the songwriter and producer EJ. So I was diving a little bit into EJ's story like two three days ago, and EJ's career is an open textbook on the K pop system. She trained to be an idle herself at SM Entertainment for nearly a decade, starting when she was just eleven, but she was dropped, and that disappointment pushed her behind the mixing board, where she proved that the system's reject can become its most powerful creators. So she was called back and ended up writing songs and producing songs for the same company that dropped her. And even before Hunterricks, EJ was quietly shaping the third and fourth generation K pop stars. She's a credited co writer on one of the most defining K hits of the past few years, Red Velvet's Psycho. She's also worked with powerhouses like ESPA on tracks like Drama and Armageddon. She's a proven hit maker, not a flash in the pan. She got them hiats. I think that the reason Hunterricks music feels so authentic is that it's personal. EJ didn't just write the music. She became the singing voice for Roomy, who's the leader of Hunterricks. She stated that the lyrics to the record breaking single Golden, particularly the line we dreaming hard, we came so fun now, I believe, are deeply informed by her own decade of gruelling training and feeling unfulfilled like unfulfilled potential. Her story the trainee who couldn't debut, but whose voice and pen ended up at number one on the Hot one hundred perfectly illustrates the next point. K pop is no longer about which idle debuts. It's about the unstoppable machinery of writing, production and high concepts storytelling, and that brings us to the real world masters of the machine, the fourth generation dominators. Now, if fictional Hundricks can do that, imagine what the real groups the fourth generation are accomplishing. They are the true architect of K pop's current US market dominance. The search results from just the last few months of twenty twenty five proved this era is fully realized. You have boy group powerhouses for its generation, by the way, solidified by groups with massive global fandoms and touring stamina Stray Kids, SKZ. They are arguably the biggest fourth gen group globally and in North America. The recent Dominate World Tour saw huge attendance and they've secured multiple multiple number ones on the Billboard two hundred. Their self produced high energy sound has carved out an enormous stadium fan base in hyphen and Tomorrow Together TXT, these groups are consistently mentioned as leaders. Recently sweeping grand prizes at the twenty twenty five Mama Awards roof that the boy group dominance hasn't faded, it's just shifted to a new hungry generation seventeen known as the self producing Idols. They're celebrating their tenth anniversary with the massive New World Tour, showing incredible staying power in massive domestic and international sales with their latest album, Happy Birst Day. Then you have the girl group Surge, who are absolutely charting a new path of dominance, while Hundricks is a virtual girl group breaking records. We have groups like New Genes, Ive, Espa and Laseraphim leading the charge with diverse concepts and international partnerships. This is the key of K pop the superfan economy. K pop agencies didn't just create pop stars, they created a superfan economic model. Platforms like weavers and the high production value of physical albums turned US music listeners into dedicated superfans, driving unprecedented physical album cells. Just this year, multiple Korean albums from the groups like in hyphen in eighties swept the top ten physical cells chart in America. People are buying physical media again, and K pop is the engine. So what happens when a global system gets to global? This is where the music conversation gets interesting. We're seeing groups being launched using the K pop system but with only one or no Korean members. Think of the global girl group CATSI. They're formed using the intense idle training process, but they are deployed. I mean they're deploying the method while shedding the cultural specificity. What does that mean? They're using the K pop formula, the training methods, the intense artist development and training, and they're not Korean.
Speaker 1: So what looks like K pop.
Speaker 3: Is being more than just for Korea Korean pop? It's looking more like kse system the business of it all, you know. I think K pop is still still a distinct genre, but I think the production methodology is becoming the new global standard, which is replacing the old euro US centric benchmark, euro US centric benchmark. It's a method that includes intensive training, multimedia, narrative marketing, and deep fan engagement. And I think that's what the K system is starting to stand for, opposed to the K in Korean for K pop. The demand for K pop is booming. You have major stadium level tours from groups like Black Pink with their all stadium Deadline Tour, Stray Kids, and Twice who's now doing and in the round stage production. They're not just concerts, they're multi billion dollar cultural events, proving that physical, dedicated fan base is stronger than ever in the US. The final most visceral proof of the K pop takeover is simply looking at the touring schedule. This isn't a niche market anymore. This is a stadium economy. And we already mentioned Black Pink and they're the third generation group that set this current trend, this benchmark. They're currently, like I said, on their Deadline Tour, which is their first ever all stadium tour. They kicked off in the US in twenty twenty five, so the US leg in July twenty twenty five, and they sold out major venues like Sofi Stadium and Los Angeles and City Field in New York, not once, but often with added dates due to overwhelming demand. This is a group that just returned from a period of intense solo activities. Might I add Jenny Jisu, Rosie Lisa. They all have high profile solo debuts and projects, but the collective demand for Black Pink was so enormous that they came back and immediately anchored the global live music market, Proving what did? They prove that the K pop's acceptance is stronger than ever. Their success in selling out these venues confirms that the fourth generation groups are following a newly paved path. The floor for K pops success is now the stadium, not the arena. So what does that mean now? I think that it means K pop is no longer waiting for American acceptance. It's building the new global pop template right before our eyes. And the Hundris phenomenon was a perfect viral test case that proves the method works without the human element and it's redefined pop itself. I forgot to mention, we can't talk about K pop's future without mentioning the elephant in the room, the return of bts from their military service and the next year that's gonna be epic and their reentry will catapult this post K pop landscape to new heights. So that's it for this episode of Crash Course Pod. We'll be back next time. Check our next episode. We're gonna talk about Chief Keef, so check that out. It should be out already and all the details are down below in the description box. And yeah, that's our take on K pop. Hit us up on social media and let us know what were your thoughts. What do you think did we miss something we want to know by