Speaker 1: What's up everyone, and welcome back to the program. Brian Colberger and his team have decided that it's time to launch their alternate suspect theory and file it with the court. However, we don't have any information as the public yet as to who this so called alternate suspect or suspects are, so that's kind of a mystery as of now, and according to the court documents, it's been sealed, so we're not going to have any idea of who this alternate suspect is at least for now. And honestly, this shouldn't come as a shock to anybody. Brian Colberger's team has been positing this for quite some time, and now that everything else they've tried has failed, it's time to unleash the final Hail Mary, and that is to try and muddy the waters a bit by introducing this so called mystery alternate suspect. Now, of course, Judge Hipler isn't just going to accept Brian Colberger's word. They're going to have to proffer evidence now that they filed this document, and they're gonna have to show some proof of their alternate suspect theory. And if they don't show any proof of it. Obviously, Judge Hipler is going to tell them to kick rocks. And I think you're going to see a lot more of this moving forward in criminal cases in general, considering how successful Karen Reid has been with her crazy ass concocted story that John O'Keefe was jumped by a bunch of police and ex police officers inside that home. And there's been some traction, right, And the reason there's been some traction, in my opinion, is because the investigation was so porous, was so bad that it opened the door. Now we haven't seen that here. However, with the new leaks, it gives them a little bit of tread and it gives them some tenable ground. Now, do I think they're going to have the same kind of effect that we saw in Massachusetts with Alan Jackson and mister Yanetti. No, but it certainly gives Brian Colberger at least some kind of defense, because short of this, I don't know how anyone could think that Brian Colberger has any kind of shot of getting off. Now, there might be some discipline coming to the prosecution over the leaks, and if that's the case, then Colberger might escape the death penalty. But I don't know how anyone could possibly think with the evidence we've seen that Brian Colberger is going to beat these charges because it's certainly not looking good for him. So what do you do when you're down by three touchdowns and times running out? You throw that hell, Mary right. Today's article is from Delhimel and the headline I had a whole murder bombshell. Brian Colberger names another suspect. This article was authored by Rachel Sharp. Brian Colberger is named an alternate suspect who he claims is the real killer of the University of Idaho's students in a bomb shell move just weeks before he goes to trial for his life. The quadruple homicide suspect returned to the courtroom in Ada County, Idaho on Thursday morning, where a judge Stephen Hipler is expected to make a series of last ditch decisions that will shape his looming capital murder trial this summer. In an eleventh hour move to save him from the firing squad, the thirty year old suspected killers defense took the explosive step of pointing the finger at another suspect. I don't really think it's that explosive. The fact that he filed it finally cool, that's great, But this is something that I think anybody who is seasoned and who follows this sort of thing expected. Brian Colberger said from the very beginning, it wasn't him, So that automatically means there's an alternate suspect. Right, So, where's the big bombshell? Now, if you gave it a name up and you said so and so's the person, Yeah, that's a big bombshell. But just filing the motion that was expected. The question is what does Brian Cooberger have to back up what he's saying. Who this suspect is and what evidence the defense has that could tie them to the brutal murders remains a mystery. The judge ordered that the filing remains under seal, keeping it cloaked in secrecy until trial. The Criminology PhD students defense team has previously revealed plans to argue that he was framed and that two killers must have committed the shocking crime. And of course we all know that people are out here saying that it was the two roommates Bethany and Dylan who were involved and look, that makes for a great story, right and as a content creator, that would be gold something like that happens.
Speaker 2: Forget it. I just don't believe it's true.
Speaker 1: And I'm not going to sit here and pump some bullshit, you know, into your tires and tell you folks, oh yeah, this, this and this if I don't feel it's true, just to get clicks. There's plenty other people that are out there that are going to pitch you some bullshit. We're not gonna do that here. What I will say is this, I am more than willing to look at whatever evidence Brian Colberger has. As I've said before, I don't just believe the government. I believe the evidence. And if Colberger has some evidence saying somebody else did this, let's see it. Judge Hipler gave Colberger's attorneys a deadline of May twenty third to hand over whatever actual evidence you have that supports those allegations other than just allegations. So in court, right, Brian Colberger, he doesn't have to prove anything. The burden of proof is on the state. But the second that you start talking about alternate suspects, that changes things a bit. Now you have to show the court some evidence as to why so and so should be involved. You can't just say Tom Dick and Harry did it from down the block. The judge is going to ask you what evidence you have and if you say trust me, bro, well we all know how that's gonna work. So they better have some evidence to back up what they're saying. And during that last hearing, Judge Hipler wasn't playing with either side. He told them both they better not be playing games and they better have the evidence to back up the things that they're saying. He also ordered the defense to provide for me how it is you believe that what you're offering is admissible at trial. The state will then have until June sixth to respond to the defense claims before the two sides battle it out in a hearing later that month. The judge will then rule whether or not the jury can hear about this alternate suspect that trial. And I can tell you right now, all these goofy ass content creators are praying every night that that's the case. They want another Karen Reid type deal more than you can imagine. They want it to be a circus. They want this to be thrown into chaos. That's what they want and that's why they pitch all this alternate bullshit. But the facts are what they are, and wherever the facts leader us is where we're going to go. And so far, what I can tell you, and I can say this definitively, is I have seen zero evidence of any alternate suspect, not one bit of it.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Of course, that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. I'm just telling you from my own experience covering this story from literally the day after it happened, I haven't seen one bit of evidence that points me to anybody else but Brian Coolberger, Now, is there a big frame job happening. I'll let you be the judge of that, but you all know how I feel about those kinds of big claims, right. If you're making big claims, you better have big evidence. And if you don't, well we're not starting off on the right foot. The explosive move from Coburger's team comes less than a week after Bombshell. New details emerged in the case, including his phone calls to a family member after the murders, his chilling porn choices, and disturbing online searches about serial killer Ted Bundy Colberger is facing the death penalty if convicted of the brutal murders of Kailee Gonsalvez, Madison Mogan, Xana Kernodle, and Ethan Chapin, which is in jeopardy at this point in my opinion because of the leaks. That's something to keep in mind, and I think that it has some legs considering the penalty we saw with Lori Vaalo and the prosecution slow walking evidence and discovery in Idaho. So there's precedent for that already. And when there's precedent, well, we all know how the courts love that. Before University Idaho students were all slaughtered in Ahura knife attack in the early hours of November thirteenth, twenty twenty two, inside an off campus student home at eleven twenty two King Rhoad in Moscow, Idaho that the three women shared with two other roommates. The two roommates, Bethany Funk and Dylan Mortenson, survived, with Mortensen coming face to face with the mass killer inside the home that haunting Knight. On December thirtieth, twenty twenty two, around six weeks from the massacre, Colberger was arrested at his parents' home in all Brightsville, Pennsylvania, and charged with the murders. He stood silent at his arraignment, and a not guilty plea was entered on his behalf. Now, after more than two years of delays and legal wrangling, including the trial being moved to another county, the suspected killer who struck terror into the heart of a safe, tight knit college town is finally heading to trial. And this is what I mean when I say Coburger has gotten a fair shake. Then you changes delays, you name it. So anybody saying that Colberger isn't getting a fair shake is bullshitting. And if you don't believe me, just ask El Choppo or El Mayo how they're being treated. Jerry selection is slated to begin July thirtieth, with a trial getting underway August eleventh. During Thursday's hearing, the judge began by going through the nuts and bolts of how the trial will take shape and warning both sides that he doesn't want evidence issues to crop up and cause delays once it is underway. Judge Hipler's not messing around, and both sides better understand that Judge Hipler is not the one to play with. We're not talking about Judge Beverly Canoni here, of folks. I'm not a fan of surprises, as you may have figured out by now, he warned. The judge outlined jury selection process, revealing he plans to have aid alternates as opposed to the typical number of six, taking the full panel up to twenty. He said he would not go into specific details about the jury questionnaires and instructions during the public hearing so as not to impact potential panelists. However, what potential jurors know about the case, their views on the death penalty, and any media bias they may have will all be key questions in selecting the jury. The judge said that he does not intend to sequester the jury, but that could change if necessary once the trial gets underway. He also warmed both sides that if they bump into any members of the jury outside of court during the trial, to run the other away and report it. The jury selection process will not be live streamed, but the rest of the trial will be. And you know what, I think we're going to live stream this trial, considering it's being broadcast right from the actual live stream of the courthouse. I think we might just dive in and live stream this mofo as it happens. I think that's going to be the only way to really have a handle on everything that goes down in that courtroom. So that's the way I'm leaning right now. And I'm not usually big on live streams, but with something like this, your boy is willing to make an exception. And also, like I was saying, I'm going to be heading up to Idaho for at least a little bit of this trial. Whether it's during the ending or the middle or whatever. I haven't decided yet, but you're a boy will be at this trial at some point. Prosecutor of Bill Thompson asked the judge for the live stream video to be turned off for a number of the witnesses, such as their surviving roommates, as well as members of law enforcement whose identity should remain secret. The judge agreed that his victims, Mortensen and Funk, can have their faces shielded during the testimony if they wish. Seating will also be reserved for the two survivors, as well as the victims' families and Coburger's immediate family members in the courtroom for the duration of the trial. Well, that's fair. Brian Colberger is not guilty yet. He should have his family there, right, he should have whatever support system is willing to come out. So I'm glad to hear that Cohburger will have some seats for his people. If Coleburger is convicted of the murders, the penalty phase, where the jury will decide whether or not to send him to death row, will likely start the next day, the judge said. Jurors will be sequestered for that phase. The judge also revealed that issues about a potential violation of the gag order has been raised during closed door hearing earlier Thursday. A gag order of some sorts, known as a non dissemination order, has been in place since the early days of this case. It bands attorneys representing parties, victims, or witnesses from speaking about the case in a way that could have a substantial likelihood of materially prejudicing or otherwise influencing the outcome of the case. It's not clear which side raised the issue or why, but it comes days after a New Dayline episode aired revealing never before seen details about Colberger's cell phone records, calls, and photos found on his phone, and we know now obviously that that has to do with a alleged leak from the prosecution side that gave this information to Dayline. So that's something that's being dealt with right now by Judge Hipler, who has now launched this investigation. So we'll see what where that all goes. Judge Hipler said that he's ordering both sides to retain their records in the case and is open to the appointment of a special prosecutor who could subpoenal witnesses to dig into the matter. As part of the hearing, the judge could make a decision on some final pieces of evidence jurors might see a trial. Among the final pieces of evidence still at play is Cohberger's Eerie Criminology research paper, intricately detailing the fictional crime scene about a woman being stabbed to death at a trailer park. Phone records and bank transactions for both the accused killer and some of the alleged victims, as well as surveillance footage from locations close to the crime scene, are also likely to be discussed. The high profile trial is expected to last around three months, barring the sentencing phase. If convicted, Colberger faces the death penalty, and, following recent changes in Idaho's law, he may even face the firing squad. To date, thirteen separate defense efforts to take the death penalty off the table have been denied by the judge, including one where they cited his autism diagnosis as a reason to block capital punishment from the case. The judge has also dealt the series of other blows to Colburger's defense strategy in recent weeks, ruling that jurors can hear the harrowing nine to one one call made by the victim's surviving roommates and see their panic texts after Mortensen saw the mass killer inside their home. The judge also ruled against Colburger in allowing Mortensen to describe the man inside her home using the term bushy eyebrows. Jurors will also be able to see Colburger's Amazon shopping history, which prosecutors say reveal he bought a k bar knife sheath and sharpener from Amazon. Back in March of twenty twenty two. A matching sheath was found next to Mogen's body, with DNA on the sheath being traced back to Coburger. The murder weapon has never been found. Since last court hearing in April, it has come to light that Colberger placed a series of phone calls to his dad, Michael Kolberger, just two hours after the stabbing spree. The thirty year old criminology PhD student called his dad three times on the morning of November thirteenth, twenty twenty two, according to explosive cell phone records obtained by NBC's Dateline. Now, I wonder where they got all of this information. Obviously has to be somebody that's close to the investigation, right you would think anyway, But I guess we just have to wait for this investigation that Judge Hipler has launched to get some information and get some answers.
Speaker 2: But as far as the rest of.
Speaker 1: This article goes, it just goes over the stuff that we've talked about already. So we're not going to dive any deeper than where we did, and we're going to finish up this article right here because it gives us what we were looking for, and that was talking about this alternate suspect. And honestly, that's something that I've expected for quite some time. The fact that they're going to launch this now and we're going to at least have the motion filed and we're going to have it sealed. Says that at least they have something cooking. The question is is it going to be significant and be enough to be admitted as evidence. So we'll continue to follow along and when we have some more information of value, will make sure we get it added to the catalog. But until then, that's going to do it for this one. All of the information that goes with this episode can be found in the description box. S't up, everyone, and welcome back to the program. Brian Kohberger's defense team is claiming that there were DNA profiles of three other men present at the scene of the crime. Now, when this crime first occurred, if you go back, we were talking about how the whole entire house is going to be a DNA nightmare for the technicians trying to go through all of this DNA, and we also discussed how it could be pretty difficult considering that this was a party house. So the fact that other DNA profiles were found here doesn't shock me at all. The question that everybody should be asking is how many of those DNA profiles were found on that knife? Sheath, and that's going to be the issue for Brian Koberger and his defense team. I know we beat that dead horse all the time here, but I want to keep reiterating the fact that that's what they're going to have to do. And if the DNA of those other three alleged people are not on that knife sheath, then they can allege all of the DNA profiles present at the scene that they want, But that doesn't mean that those profiles were people that were involved in these murders. Their DNA isn't on the knife sheath, and until his defense team can explain that away, that's going to be se the glue that binds all of this together. Today we have an article from The Independent and the headline Brian Coberger claims DNA from three other men found that the scene of Idaho murders. Mister Coberger's attorneys are fighting against the state's use of genetic genealogy to tie him to the brutal murders of Klee Gonsalves, Madison Mogan, Ethan Chapin, and Xana Kernodle. This article was authored by Rachel Sharp. Accused killer Brian Coberger has insisted that he has no connection to the Force Lane University of Idaho students, and has claimed that DNA from three other unidentified men was also found at the Grizzly crime scene. And of course the defense doesn't elaborate about those other profiles who they could be. Instead, like I said earlier, they're going to try the unknown assailant route to try and get people to think that somebody else could have done this, the same way Alec Murda tried to say that two people showed up to kill his wife and his son, and there was a bunch of people that bought into that bs before the child started talking about how he was gonna get off, how the States case was weak, it was all built on circumstantial evidence. Well, how did that end up for him? And unless Brian Coberger's legal team has something up their sleeve here and they can prove something to us, well it's gonna be the same fate for Brian Coberger. And I know he doesn't have to prove that he's innocent. He's considered innocent until he's proven guilty, But that doesn't mean you don't have to back up your assertions in court. If you say that there were other people who were involved here, You're gonna have to provide a scenario that the jury is going to believe. And if you don't have any sort of evidence about these alleged unknown assailants, then why would the jury believe anything that you're talking about, especially when it's your DNA all over that knife sheath. So again, that is the thing that looms large here when it comes to getting a conviction against Brian Kolberger in my opinion, and that's why you're going to see his defense go so crazy to try and get this thrown out. They're calling genetic genealogy a new science and they're going to try and bust it with the technicality. That's what they're trying to do here. They want this thrown out because they understand this is the strongest piece of evidence that the prosecution has unveiled thus far. Court documents filed by the attorneys for the twenty eight year old PhD student last week argue that DNA from two other men was also found inside the off campus student home in Moscow, Idaho. DNA from a third unknown man was also found on a glove outside the property on November twentieth, one week after the murders occurred, the document state, and remember that glove was found by some investigator, podcaster, whatever, seven days after these murders occurred. So that's what they're hanging their hat on as the defense. Oh, we found this glove out here, so it must belong to whoever committed these murders. I mean, for real, that's what you're gonna pin your hopes on. That and the unknown assailant theory. Huh okay, I mean, I guess, but remember we just watched Lori Valo get absolutely broadsided in Idaho court trying to bring the same kind of defense. By December seventeenth, twenty twenty two, lab analysts were aware of two additional males DNA within the house where the deceased were located, and another unknown male DNA on a glove found outside the residence on November twentieth of twenty twenty two. Mister Cohberger's attorney, Jay logsd In rights in the filing. To this date, the defense is unaware of what sort of testing, if any, was conducted on these samples other than str DNA profiles. Further, these three separate and distinct male DNA profiles were not identified through codis leading to the conclusion that the profiles do not belong to mister Coburger. So you mean to tell me that other DNA was found in this room in this house. Wow, I'm shocked, considering it is a well known house where people were partying, where there were random people just showing up and hanging out, even while the owners or the renters i should say, of this property weren't home. So anyone should be shocked that there's other DNA profiles present at the scene. We talked about this when this all went down, and how it was going to be quite the puzzle for them to figure out who's who and if the person who's responsible's DNA profile is present at the house. But the one thing that they have again is that DNA on the knipe sheath, and that is going to be very difficult for Coburger and his team to explain, and in fact, with their salvo of accusations here, they still haven't addressed the fact that the DNA is on this knife sheath. Mister Coberger's defense is fighting against the state's use of genetic genealogy to tie him to the brutal murders of Kailee Gonsalves, Madison, Mogen Ethan Chapin, and Xana Kernodle. According to prosecutors, the killer left a military style knife sheath behind after the killings, and the sheath was found next to Mogan's body in her bed on the third floor of the student home. DNA found on the sheath was later matched to mister Colberger after the FBI checked the sample against genetic genealogy databases and tipped off local authorities. After collecting trash from the suspect's parents' home in the Pocono Mountains, a familial match from mister Coberger's father was made to the knife sheath. According to the criminal affet, David, So, what they're doing is not disputing that that's his genealogy or his touch DNA on that knife sheath. What they're disputing is the method that this evidence was collected. And they're gonna go hard here because they understand that this is the strongest piece of evidence that has been unveiled. So they're gonna do everything in their power to try and discredit the way this was collected, the people who collected it, and the technology overall. In the latest court filing, the accused killer's legal team accused prosecutors of hiding its entire case from the defendant by trying to keep its method of genetic genealogy investigation secret. Hilarious coming from Coburger's team, who have been fighting tooth and nell to keep all of this under wraps with the gag order. If you think Brian Colberger is getting railroaded as his lawyer, don't you think that you'd want all of this public. You go to the judge and say, look, get rid of that gag order. My client is getting absolutely steamrolled by the prosecution and I want the whole world to see it. That hasn't happened though, has it. In fact, it's the opposite. They want everything kept under wraps, and the reason for that is they understand that the evidence that's already been collected is strong as hell. There is no connection between mister Cohberger and the victims, the filing states, unless, of course, you count the trips to mad Greek allegedly, the trips to the Idaho University campus allegedly, the following them on Instagram allegedly. You see where I'm going with all of this. The whole no connection thing that doesn't really carry weight for me because I believe that the reporting from People magazine was correct and true when they were talking about Brian Cohberger going to the Mad Greek. I've said that for how long that that's the likely spot where he ran into Madison. Originally we're talking about a dude who's a vegan. The Mad Greek makes vegan food. It wasn't far away. And then the cherry on top for me was how adamant the owner was coming out with her denials that Coburger had ever even eaten there. So I'm very curious to see an open court what they have on the Mad Greek because I believe that that is the genesis here for where Coburger first ran into these girls. There is no explanation for the total lack of DNA evidence from the victims in mister Coberger's apartment, off his home or vehicle.
Speaker 2: Well, how about the fact that he bleached the shit out of the vehicle. Did that have.
Speaker 1: Something to do with it?
Speaker 2: Maybe? Why are you gonna bleach your vehicle? Who does that?
Speaker 1: And then imagine being so creepy that your own sister thinks that you might be responsible for this shit, So she goes out and passes your car like the warden in Shawshank Redemption. Yeah, that should make the rest of us suspicious or anything like that. We should all just think that's normal. How many of you out there believe that that's normal behavior from someone's family members. And of course that doesn't make Brian Colberger guilty, But when you add everything up and the fact that his own people are suspicious, that goes a long way for me. Mister Coburger is scheduled to stand trial on the second of October for the murders of Gonsalvis, Mogan, Kernodle, and Chapin after he was indicted by a grand jury on four accounts, a first degree murder n one burglary charge. Mister Koberger is accused of breaking into an off campus student home on King Road in the early hours of November thirteenth and stabbing the four students to death with a large military style knife. Two other female roommates lived with the three women at the property and were home at the time of the massacre, but survived. One of the survivors, Dylan Mortensen, came face to face with the mass killer, dressed head to toe in black and with bushy eyebrows as he left the home. In the aftermath of the murders. According to the criminal aff David, So this is going to loom large as well. Now she might not be able to identify the suspect's face, but the same body style and them bushy eyebrows. You would think if you commit some murders like this and you have an identifying feature such as bushy eyebrows, you'd go and get them bitches plucked right, show up at the local spot and be like, hey, can you thread my eyebrows?
Speaker 2: Please?
Speaker 1: Imagine how pissed you'd be at yourself as a criminal if it was your eyebrows that gave you away and ended up getting you convicted. For more than six weeks, the college town of Moscow was plunged into fear as the accused killer remained at large, with no arrest made and no suspects named. Then, on December thirtieth, law enforcement suddenly swooped in on mister Coberger's family home in all Brightsville, Pennsylvania and arrested him for the quadruple murders. The motive remains unknown, and it is still unclear what connection the Washington State University PhD student had to the University of Idaho students, if any prior to the murders. The murder weapon of fixed blade knife has still never been found, and not even a mention of those rumors about Instagram or the mad Greek or Idaho University. That's pretty poor reporting, honestly. At the very least, it should be mentioned so people are aware that that's out there. As a criminal justice PhD student at Washington State University, mister Coberger lived just fifteen minutes from the victims over the Idaho Washington border in Pullman. He had moved there from Pennsylvania and began his studies there that summer, having just completed his first semester before his arrest. Before this, he studied criminology at the Sallas University, first as an undergraduate and then finishing his graduate studies in June of twenty twenty two. While there, he studied under renowned forensic psychologist Katherine Ramsland, who interviewed the BTK serial killer and co wrote the book Confession of a Serial Killer. The Untold Story of Dennis Rader, the BTK Killer. With him, he also carried out a research project to understand how emotions and psychological traits influenced decision making when committing a crime. And remember the Reddit post that we found right after he was arrested, and then look how quickly that post was scrubbed from Reddit after the information was released. He is facing life in prison or the death penalty for the murders that have rocked the small college town of Moscow and hit headlines around the globe. So the push is on by Brian Kohberger and his defense team to try and change this narrative. And now that the gag order has been paired back a bit, hopefully we can get a little more clarity from those involved in the case directly. But as of now, Brian Koeberger and his team behind the scenes certainly are making their move to try and challenge the strongest bit of evidence that has been revealed against Brian Kolberger so far. So it's the main point of their defense here to try and challenge this evidence and try and make it so that there's some reasonable doubt about the methods which it was collected and how the technology is being used. And their hope is if they can get rid of that key piece of evidence that the rest of this stuff just unravels, all right, folks. That's going to do it for this one. All of the information that goes with the episode can be found in the description box. And for those of you who want to support the podcast, I will be posting the Patreon link in the description box from here on out and will be doing a non commercial variety of the show on the Patreon page. For those of you who don't want to deal with the commercials and still want to help keep the lights on around these parts, that's the way to do it. So that link will be in the description box, and starting July first, all of the non look back episodes are going to be available there without commercial interruption. So if that's something you're into and you want to help support the podcast, that's the way to do it. So moving forward, that link will be available in the description box. All right, folks, we'll be back with a little bit more in a little while. What's up everyone, and welcome back to the program. As we continue to make our way through the court documents up here at Moscow, it's becoming quite apparent that the prosecution has built a very very strong case against Brian Colberger, and this evidence hasn't come in just one form. We're not talking about just circumstantial evidence here. We're not talking about just the DNA on the knife sheath, but all of the evidence combined. And when you combine all of this evidence, it builds a very very strong case against Brian Kolberger. And every vector of attack that has been used by his attorneys has been met and challenged by the prosecution and headed off. So Brian Colberger really doesn't have any sort of pathway to victory here, at least in my opinion. Now, there is always the chance that there is going to be some sort of prosecutorial misconduct that is found along the way or that occurs, but I doubt it at this point. I highly doubt that that's what we're going to see. And if Brian Kolberger and his team think that it's going to be loopholes and technicalities that get them off, I think that they're really grasping at straws because the only way to get your guy off is to prove to the jerry that he's not the one who did it, and I have zero idea how they plan to do that. Considering this evidence that we're seeing and all of these core documents that we're going through, I haven't found anything that's beneficial to Brian Kolberger yet, not one single thing. Now, his team has made some, you know, quality arguments, there's no doubt that his legal team has been on their game. But when it comes to actually substantial movement, evidence presented, evidence challenged, I haven't seen anything that makes me sit up and say, oh, you know what, Brian Colberger might have a path to victory here. And I know that this has been frustrating for a lot of people considering how long this is taking. But I said at the very beginning that they're being very, very meticulous because they don't want to deal with an appeal.
Speaker 2: They don't want.
Speaker 1: Brian Colberger showing up after he maybe gets convicted and starts talking about how the process was stacked against him and how he deserves an appeal. Nobody wants to go through this again. And while I certainly don't speak for these family members, I'm sure that they don't want to deal with this, you know, a second trial. Who the hell wants to deal with one? Never mind too, But make no mistake that that's what Brian Colberger's team is setting up for they're definitely gunning for that appeal, and they're hoping that there's going to be some hiccups along the way that helps them get there. Unfortunately for them, I haven't seen anything that even comes close to an issue that would be overturned on an appeal. So today we have an article from the US Sun and the headline lone killer. Two pieces of Brian Coolberger evidence can completely bring down murder trial by casting doubt about guilt, lawyer warns. The legal expert praised the prosecution for building a strong case.
Speaker 2: Oh, there's zero doubt. And when this was first happening, when.
Speaker 1: The murder first occurred, I was very very critical of the authorities. If you recall, I was talking about how they're messaging and the way that they were going about their business talking to the public and the families was terrible. The whole entire thing was just bad. But the actual police work that was going on behind the scenes obviously was productive and it was good. And if there was any glaring Brady Jillio issues, if there was any glaring prosecutorial issues, we'd already see it. There would already be a gigantic fight about that. Because Colberger's team knows that they could use that and they could parlay that into getting him off the death penalty at the very least, But unfortunately for Colburger, that doesn't seem like it's going to materialize. So if you notice now they're starting to readjust and now they're talking about alternative suspects that might be responsible for what happened. And my comment to that is good luck. This article was authored by Israel Solis Rodriguez. New evidence in the quadruple murder case against Coberger thirty is coming to light as the high profile trial is scheduled to begin later this summer in Boise, Idaho. And this trial is scheduled to go on for like four months. We're talking about a gigantic proceeding here, and there is going to be so much evidence that's presented that it's going to be very difficult to keep track of all of it unless you follow along every single day. The good news is that's exactly what we're going to do. With less than five five months before opening statements or slated to begin, Colberger's defense counsel is fighting tooth and nail to convince Judge Stephen Hipler to allow them to present their alternative perpetrator's argument at the trial over the death of four students in their college home. The defense claims that because DNA from five different individuals was found on one of the victims and at the scene, the actual perpetrator may have planted Colburger's DNA on the knife sheath found in one of the bedrooms. Oh yeah, that sounds real plausible to me. Some rando decided to get the knife sheath from Brian Colberger, broke into his house, first, got the knife sheath, got Brian Colberger's DNA on it, then went and killed those girls and put the knife sheath underneath Madison Mogan's body. Is that what you're trying to convince me of? Because if that's the case, boy, you're in for a long day and you better be glad that I'm not a juror, because your ass would be getting set up for a date with the firing squad. Mark Najami of Florida trial attorney told the US son that that argument by the defense is a stretch. Alternative perpetrators theory the sheath.
Speaker 2: With his DNA on it. It's critical. Why would the sheath of.
Speaker 1: A knife that has his DNA be in their place. Najami, who gained notoriety in two thousand and eight by representing the parents of Casey Anthony and their murder trial, told the US Son, Yeah, exactly. It is just ridiculous. And they've literally provided no evidence that points to anybody else. And I know it's up to the state to provide the evidence. I get it, Okay, but if you decide that you're going to introduce an alternative perpetrator theory, you have to have some evidence of that. You can't just say, oh, well it was Joe from down the block. Okay, Well what's your evidence? Where's Joe at? Did anyone investigate into Joe's whereabouts that day? So if you don't have all of your ducks in a row and you just show up with these unnamed perpetrators, good luck, because guess what, buddy, it's your DNA that's on that knife sheath. So all of your other nonsense, all of the other historyonics that might be great for a narrative in the media, but in real life inside of that courtroom in front of them jurors, good luck trying to get that one a stick. The defense has got a hard road they're in their position is somebody just set this guy up. But then you have got to have a basis. Why would they set him up, Why would they go to that particular individual They said they set the accused up and left the sheet there.
Speaker 2: That's a stretch.
Speaker 1: The touch DNA found on the knife sheath was ninety nine point nine to eight percent match to trash Colberger disposed of at his family's house in Scranton, Pennsylvania. And that's exactly where I'm at. You can say whatever you want, right, but you have to have some sort of tangible evidence to back it up. And if you're gonna be the one that introduces this alternative perpetrator theory, then you're going to have to back it up. And if you can't do that, I think it's going to be even worse on you come trial time. Because the jurors aren't stupid, and I highly doubt they're going to take kindly to being taken on a fishing expedition when they've already sacrificed four months of their lives to sit at this trial and be jurors in.
Speaker 2: The first place.
Speaker 1: But that said, I understand why the defense is doing what they're doing. They have nothing to go on. I have told you guys this from the very beginning. You cannot make chicken salad out of chicken shit. In addition to the knife sheath, investigators recovered to blood samples at the off campus home in Moscow, Idaho, on the morning of November thirteenth, twenty twenty two. Blood was found on a handrail inside the home where roommates Madison Mogan, Kaylee Gonsalves, Xanakernodle, and Ethan Chapin were fatally stabbed to death in November of twenty twenty two. Well that's a big chakhuh a party house in somebody's DNA was found on the railing. I am just blown away. How many times have you had a cut finger? How many times have you know your partying or whatever you hurt yourself might be bleeding a little bit. So again, it's a great narrative for people on the internet that want to believe that Brian Colberger is innocent. But when it gets down to the scrutiny that it's going to face inside of a courtroom, well we all know how that's going to go. In fact, this kind of stuff is not even gonna make it into evidence, is my guess. So you got five unnamed people in a party house whose DNA show up, Well, that's a big shock, huh. Moscow investigators recovered more blood on a glove outside the home. The blood samples came from two unidentified but different men, not Coburgers. Recent court filings also showed that DNA evidence from three different men was allegedly found under the left fingernails of Mogan. Test showed a three person mixture and none of the DNA was linked to Coburger. Najam told the US Sun those details are critical areas for the defense to include to create reasonable doubt by showing that other people could have or would have been there, that arguably starts casting doubt on the suspect, the primary suspect, the accused. As to whether it was him who did it, he added, well sure if there wasn't all this other evidence pointing to Coburger circumstantial and otherwise, it does bring in an ancillary area, and that is were there are more than one person who was involved in this situation in these horrific murders, No Jam believes the judge may allow the DNA evidence from the blood samples to be present at trial, but question the findings collected from Mogan's fingernails. Blood is a critical part of the evidence here. Sadly, it's gruesome, but you have blood spattering throughout the bedrooms of the victims, Najam said, you have clear DNA. It's going to be your breadcrumbs that are going to lead you to either the person or people that did it or didn't do it. Nojam called the fingernail DNA unrelated in the case because the four victims were out the night before and in various places Bingo, if you hug somebody, you have somebody's hand, whatever, that DNA can easily end up under your fingernails. It's entirely possible when you hug someone, when you give them a light scratch, or when you're just affectionately, when you're dancing, and if you're holding hands and in a fun situation, all those things potentially leave DNA. Nachamp said, we don't know if it was fresh skin, which would arguably be much more critical than some shedding that simply happened because somebody went and got their nails done earlier that day by a nail tech. You could have that person's DNA under your nails and just because you're going to have some minor shedding. But nevertheless, with the complexity in the technology being what it is today, you could arguably pick up some DNA from some ancillarysources that are completely unrelated. So again, I think that without us knowing more, both sides are going to be making their arguments because obviously the defense wants it in, but the prosecution would say it's irrelevant in material and they want it out. Nevertheless, the gen believe state prosecutors have built a strong case to score a conviction despite the murder weapon never being recovered. The state's done a really strong job of making sure that they've dotted their eyes and crossed their t's, he said, And that's something I've talked about from the beginning. It's been a very very long road. There's zero doubt that it has been a slog But if everything works out in the end, they get the conviction they're looking for, they get the right guy, and then that guy can't appeal. Well, everything was worth it, right, I mean, just take a look at what's going on with the Karen Reid case and Judge Canoni. What a shit show. We got going on up there. Just look at the shit show that happened in Indiana with Richard Allen. So I'm grateful, honestly for the process here in Idaho so far and how professional things have been. They've gotten search warrants across the board. It doesn't look like they've tripped over themselves. From what I can see. We don't know everything. We're not in the courtroom every day, but from what I can see is they covered themselves. They got warrants, they got it done properly, they collected the evidence properly. With that said, they even went as far back as getting the search records on the computer and showing that Amazon purchases were made of the knife, that unique knife and that sheath, and so those are the links which put a case together for the prosecution. I think the prosecution has done its homework. Coburger was arrested in charge with the murder of the four students in early twenty twenty three. A judge entered and not guilty plea on Coburger's behalf during his arraignment in May of twenty twenty three. His trial is currently scheduled to start in August of twenty twenty five, and it's interesting to see now as we get closer to trial that the loopholes and technicality strategy is going by the wayside, and now they want us to believe that there's an alternative perpetrator out there that isn't Brian Coberger. And unfortunately for them, at least in my opinion, they haven't even come clear to offering us any sort of tangible information or evidence that would point us in the direction of somebody else. So I'm certainly in agreement here with the lawyer mister Najami when he says that he thinks they've built a very strong case, because I feel the same way. And unless there is some sort of egregious prosecutorial misconduct on earth from now until the time of the trial, then I really don't see any path for Brian Coohberger to get off on these charges. Instead, what I see is the prosecution not only continuing to build its case, but also fortifying the information that they've already released and what we already know. One thing's for sure, there are certainly some twists and turns remaining in the road as we continue on the journey of the trial of Brian Kohberger. All of the information that goes with this episode, including my contact information, can be found in the description box.