Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: During our first few breaks, I spent my time doing some research, trying to get a better feel for what I wanted to wager on, not only tonight, but some games tomorrow when it comes to college football. But towards the last you know, four minutes or so of that break, which was a good chunk of that commercial break, I was distracted by a different story, this one coming from our own backyard. Here WDRB headline. Police looking for person who's allegedly been pooping on porches in Old Louisville. You know that's got to be Dwight Whitten, right, They're on to him, says here. The Little Metro Police Department is looking for someone who's accused of repeatedly pooping. Oh, it's the same person's porch. The person has allegedly been pooping on a porch in Old Louisville. There are at least two reports filed from the person who lives in the twelve hundred block of South first Street. Another was taken by an officer Wednesday. It's unknown at this time with the suspect looks like Anyone with information is asked to call the department's anonymous crime tip line five O two five O'T two five seven four LMPD. So a very short story that they clearly know is going to be clicked on by a lot of people like me. Not often you see that, but yeah, you know, what's the charge?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Is that indecent exposure?
Speaker 4: Is that you couldn't you might be able to get multiple things with that, Like.
Speaker 2: I mean, I know people was passing. What is the charge if you poop in public? What could I be charged with if I was to poop in public? Quick Google search here. I'm not saying anything that it says public dedication is a legal goal no matter where you do it. It's vandalism charge in certain states.
Speaker 4: That makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess I could see so.
Speaker 4: So yeah, especially if it's you could use as like graffiti, which that would be taken into another level.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't have any enemies, at least not that I know of, not from my end. Maybe there are people who view me as an enemy. But if I had enemies and I wanted to, you know, do something to to really stick it to them in a way that would never cross my mind. But it's you know, it clearly is not something people like to walk out of their front door at their home and you know see human feces. So like, you know, if it's a random attack just because you want to mess with something stranger, you know, that's weird. It's weird regardless, but like, you know, maybe that is a way to where you can like nobody would ever think of it, but that that if you want to cause some some some inconvenience to somebody that you don't like, pooping on their porch repeatedly, could probably do that.
Speaker 4: Right, Imagine if this person had like a ring doorbell and you could watch the evidence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they might and they just they're just disguising themselves. Maybe you're also leaving DNA behind, that's true, Like, but they wouldn't do that, right, Like, Hey, we think it's you, but we don't know for sure. To prove your innocence, will you provide a school sample? Like that would never happen, right, it might. It's getting really gross. I'm sorry. You know, there's certain things you never like. I always go back to the airport guy. There's no more helpless place in the world than being at an airport, because you have no clue if you're gonna get off the ground on your flight on time, you have no mean like and and they're just gonna tell you the way it is, and that's what you're gonna do. You're just gonna have to deal with it. That's why people lose their minds in airports, and they become a version of themselves they didn't know existed because they were pushed too far. And that's like the guy in Nashville years ago, who he got so mad at an airport. What's he gonna do? Tell him he's not gonna fly anymore, Like you know, you don't. They're not by if you decide you're not gonna fly with him anymore. So you know what he did, He just got button naked and that and that got attention from everybody there to know just how upset and how bothered he was.
Speaker 4: You all right, John, No, I just remind it reminds me of the Morgan Wall and not impersonator, but the guy who looked like Morgan Wall and walking downtown. It was button naked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I kind of feel like he got like robbed or something.
Speaker 3: He might have been.
Speaker 2: I mean, although he wasn't really walking with a big pep in his step, but like to me, it looked like he initially it was like somebody who'd escaped from somewhere where he'd been stripped naked and like tied up or something. I don't know, maybe it was a wild I mean, that is sad. I mean, I always advocate for people to come enjoy downtown because I believe it or not, Like we are downtown every day, and like, wouldn't shock me that when we leave here at six o'clock on a Friday afternoon, four Street Live is gonna be gonna be popping because people who come to Louisville and are staying downtown for whatever reason, they come to four Street and there's a lot of stuff going on. So I always want people to give downtown a shot. Again, if you've decided to not come because you are fearful of safety and you think it's some boarded up war zone, because you know it's not. There's crime in every part of the city unfortunately. But then again, you know, every now and then, when I'm driving out of here to leave, I'm thinking, Okay, maybe I now have a better understanding as to why people are so worried about downtown because you know, you turn right on any block in downtown, you might see somebody taking a dump on the sidewalk, and like that's.
Speaker 4: And there's a stench downtown right now. I think it's always like a rain, it's pretty nasty, depending on which street you're going down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they explain that to us at one point as far as the sewers. Yeah, like if we don't get a lot of rain gets it gets to stinking pretty bad down here, especially when you get close to me. You add that kind of a stench mixed in with what you get in Butchertown. Yike, Oh, we have a pig stink, stink, stinky, very stinky.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: It's Coffee and Company. We are fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven to ninety nit coffee. That's me the company man John Aud alongside today as we take you up until six o'clock. Show is going to start at eleven o'clock tomorrow with myself. It is the Louisville Football pregame Show presented by Pellow Windows and Doors of Central Kentucky as well as Jefferson Animal Hospital and then we'll have postgame show as soon as it ends. So we'll be here up until kickoff and then come right back as soon as it ends, and we'll react to whatever happens. Louisville right now favored about thirty seven points in this matchup with Austin p a game that you know shouldn't be that close. And I am hoping that when they do start dominating this team, which I hope they do, the fact that it's new pieces, right, it's new players we've never watched before, that will sort of minimize the ho hum that I usually have whenever you see your team do things like that against inferior competition. Again, it's good to see, but what really, And it's just everybody's different, right, Like maybe you like watching your teams play these games because it's stress free for you and you know at the end of the day you're gonna win by a lot and that's fine. But where I find myself during games like this, thinking like, all right, calm down, Nick, don't overreact to anything good or bad. Is like, if they don't get a third down conversion and they have to pun against a team like this, I'm like, I guess the offense really sucks this year. Got a pun against this team, And again, that's an insane way to look at it, but I'm you know, I'm an insane person, I guess. So last year they played ten quarterbacks in their game against an FCS opponent that was Murray State. I don't know if we'll see that tomorrow because I don't think there's ten quarterbacks on the roster, but I'm hopeful we see a beat down and we get this thing started with, you know, these guys having an opportunity to, you know, just get a game under their belt against a team that probably won't challenge them really at all, and establish some confidence, continue to build that continuity. You know, obviously they've played together throughout the spring and in fall camp, but now you've got a chance to go do it against a real opponent. So for me, it may not mean a whole lot in regards to where everybody truly stands on the depth chart, but you're gonna see a lot of guys playing tomorrow, not just because you potentially are gonna be up by a bunch, but I think they've got first string guys on the depth chart. By the way, Jef brom does not release the depth chart, so are like, we'll know tomorrow when we see who's out there who in fact ended up being the starter at certain positions. And I think right now, on both sides of the ball, maybe more so on defense, but on both sides of the ball, you've got a one in two that really I think the staff doesn't seem much of a difference at all. They may give the nod to somebody who maybe most recently had a better practice, or maybe just as more experienced, and yet you know they're gonna let them get out there and play. Again, it's against an inferior opponent, but you know, it's good to have that depth to by the way, but I would say the coaching staff is probably looking at this as a chance to say, Okay, these guys in practice are pretty are pretty close their neck and neck, and we feel good about putting them both out there on the field. But let's see if that if that remains the case whenever you end up playing against a different team. So I also hope that they're up big to where you can get real reps for Pierce Clarkson. You know, I you never talk about the backup quarterback situation until you have to. And usually when you have to talk about the backup quarterback situation, it's because your guy stinks or there's an injury. I would say if one of those two things ends up playing out, it's likely going to be an injury for Tyler Shuck, which again, just because you've been injured a bunch doesn't mean you're going to get injured again. Clearly, he has a history of being injury prone. But you want to know what you got as a backup, and you oftentimes don't get a chance to learn that until something bad happens, right because you once you're started to be healthy. Because he won the job for a reason, he's your best quarterback. So I hope Tyler Shuck plays well in the first half to where Louisville's blowing this team off the floor or feel I should say, it's not basketball and you get Pierce Clarkson in there to play, you know, the rest of the game. I know, obviously Jeff will put other guys if they're up big, He'll play a lot of guys. But I would love for this to be a season where Louisville is not in super close games to where your starter's got to play the whole game because you the game is still within reach.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I don't want to act like Louisville is such a dominant team that they're going to be blowing everybody out. But like last year when you played Indiana, no offense in Indiana. But given the way that season played out, you know, nobody would have been shocked had Louisville had especially after the way the first half win. Had Louisville been up, you know, thirty five to seven in the fourth quarter, you could have put you could have put your backup in and you know, kind of seen what you had. Now, last year's little different because you're backup. At that time, it was either going to be brock Doman, Yeah, brock Doman, as well as Evan Conley, who was still there. So this year, though, you know, I think it's important to get Pierce reps. Now, you can't do that just because you know you gotta win. But like last year, I feel like, you know, they weren't able to put anybody in unless you know it was a designed package because they you know, they they for example, they would put Evan Conley in there in the red zone because he was pretty good at reading it and running in for a touchdown. But you know, tomorrow, there's no there's gonna be no better opportunity than tomorrow to be up big and let Pierce Clarkson just get some real meaningful reps. Now, again it's against an FCS team, and if he puts up good numbers, that'll encouraging. But again it's you know, it's it's Austin p But I really hope that this game Jacksonville State next week, and then the worst teams you play that are in your conference, like maybe Boston College, maybe because you beat the hell out of them last year and played your backups. Maybe I don't know, Virginia, who's supposed to be the worst team in the league according to everybody. Like I hope those are games to where when you get to the fourth quarter, you do in fact have a big enough lead to where Brock not Brock, but Pierce gets legitimate reps to where when you do hit the offseason, you could think to yourself, Okay, we'll see what's out there in the portal, But we really like this guy. He's been here for two years learning the offense. He was a highly regarded quarterback. We're gonna hand the reins off to him and it's gonna be his time. I hope that plays out that way. But then again, I think you could do all that. But if you as a head coach, and especially one like Jeff brom who's very you know, very much known for his offensive play calling and he was a quarterback himself, they love Pierce, it'll be hard for you not to look in the portal and see who's there and potentially want to go at somebody, because like, that's just what this is now, which, by the way, that gives me a chance to bring this up. So a really good write up from Ross Dellingser at Yahoo Sports about the transfer portal and what it means for quarterbacks. So forty three transfer quarterbacks are expected to start among the sixty eight Power Conference teams. That's sixty three percent, and it's probably the most glaring sign yet of the transient era of college football. And I'm reading that directly from his piece, and I think he's spot on. So thirty of those forty three projected transfer starters are in their first year at their new school. So it's not just guys that have transferred before. These are guys who are freshly arriving at their new school. I mean, it's not surprising anymore, but like, think about how weird that would be ten years ago. So there are there are actually some first year starting quarterbacks at many schools across the country that are like teams that are expected to be good this year, Like Ohio State they've got the Howard Kidd from Kansas State, Oregon's got Dylan Gabriel. Notre Dame they've got Riley Leonard, Miami has cam Ward. So like, these are teams that are expected to be good and they have quarterbacks that are you know, experienced, but not at these schools. So you know those And by the way, those four guys that has mentioned are believed to be some of the highest paid guys in the portal at that position. But six of the forty three projected starters this week that have transferred half power five power four experience, I guess it's power four now at two different schools. And one of those is in fact Tyler Shuck. So Max Johnson, who by the way, got hurt last night for Carolina. It's a guy who has been a starter at Texas A and M and at LSU. Shuck as you know, has been at Texas Tech and Oregon dj u Galaliley at Florida State, both Oregon State and Clemson prior and it's just like, I don't know, this is the norm for quarterbacks and you know, I mean I do wonder though, if this happens for the next two three years and the results are pretty like it's not to say that you've been Like, for example, Dylan Gabriel's been good everywhere he's gone. I don't know why he left Oklahoma to go to Oregon, but either way, like that's a guy that he could bounce around to a new team every year and like you clearly know what you're getting. He's really good. But there's some guys and I think Shuck may fall into this because his numbers have been impressive. Obviously, what stands out about him more than anything is that he's just never been able to stay healthy. But Yukola Leiley, I mean, he was not good at Oregon State, or he was decent at Oregon State, not great at Clemson, certainly not for their standard. I mean, he was mid at best. And yet because he'd been around a lot, you knew who he was. He's a big guy, he had a really really big, you know, recruiting prowess coming out of high school. Like that led to people to just assume, oh, yeah, this makes sense. They're gonna be good because they got a guy who's been at Oregon State and at Clemson and he was a big time five start recruits six years ago. Like why I mean, and be fair, Florida State wasn't the only school that went after him, Like a lot of schools were interested in DJU And I just wonder at some point if you continue to see, you know, sixty two percent of I'm sorry, sixty three percent of the starting quarterbacks in the Power Conferences are transfers for the next few years. And more often than not, these guys that transferred in they weren't terrible, but like they didn't really they didn't really take you to it, Like you didn't use that guy from the portal to take to take a step further as a program like it is there ever, gonna be a point where the coaches just decide, yeah, there's a lot of guys out there, but man, they're out there for a reason. I'm gonna I'm gonna give my young guy a shot because I recruited him for a reason. Like for example, for example, if Miller Moss who lit Louisville on fire last year in that bowl game, right, I mean, he was unbelievable for USC. If Miller Moss doesn't ball out in that bowl game the way he did, would he be their starting quarterback? Not to say that he wouldn't be good enough, but like would Lincoln Riley feel like I got to go to the portal because I got to go get a guy that I've seen at least be pretty good at the Power five level. I love Miller Moss, but you know, I've only seen him play in high school. It's like, in order to be valued in college football as a quarterback, you have to go play somewhere and prove it, you know, at a previous school. But yet when you actually get that opportunity, if every school is looking for their next big quarterback to be a transfer, I mean, it's just crazy how quickly it has changed substantially to where it is rare for you to find a Power conference team that is either bringing back a seasoned quarterback who's played many years for them or they're just next man up. Right, Hey, our guy graduated this guy's been our backup for a year or two, and he knows the offense. I mean, it's hard to not be enamored by the portal because you can go get a player right away and you don't have to develop them as much. They've played college football for two three years. But I think just a quarterback being available on the portal, I don't know why there's still that intrigued. I just think it makes these guys seem better than they are. I don't know, we'll see. I mean, I have no problem with schools relying on the portal to go get a good quarterback. I just I just wonder if you know, like, for example, Miller Moss is actually the best example I can think of right now, because that guy, you know, he was behind some really good quarterbacks obviously at USC, I mean a Heisman Trophy winner last year, Kayler Williams, so you know, but again, I feel like had he not really stepped up and balled out, that maybe Lincoln Raley would have been more inclined to go hit the portal and go get one of these transfers. And you know, we'll never know. All right, we are gonna have a guest coming up here. In about ten minutes or so, we're going to talk to doctor Eric McElroy Protri at Physical Therapy, catch up with him for our weekly chat. Some of the things I want to get into today before we, you know, run out of time and get out here for the weekend. I do want to talk about something that we've yet to really get into, and that is the Yukon to the Big Twelve thing. It just sounds awful that you would go to the Big Twelve in every sport other than football, because that's the report is that if Yukon does join the Big Twelve, they'll be they'll be in that league for every sport other than football until twenty thirty one, when football could then potentially join. I asked the same question a lot of other people did, why the hell would you do that? Well, as weird as it seems, there is a pretty obvious reason that it's not that hard to figure out, but yet nobody seems to really be bringing it up. So we can take a look at that a little bit later on. Also, again, there's a lot of games I want to discuss as far as what I'm wagering on. And again, as John said earlier, you can fadus if you want, you know, you do what you want. But you know we're gonna we're gonna be confident in our picks today, John.
Speaker 4: We are going to be confident.
Speaker 2: We're gonna believe in the power of positivity.
Speaker 4: I'm here for it.
Speaker 2: I'm going to the text line here which I've neglected you guys today. I apologize. Fivebo two six five three zero seven ninety is the L and N Federal Credit Union text line if you guys want to tech. The first text that came in today. As I scrolled down, somebody asked me if I'm taller than Pat Kelsey. I don't think so, but I don't really know. Can you reference the baseball picture? I guess I haven't looked.
Speaker 4: I think you're probably you look if I remember right, you're pretty much identical when it comes to height.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean like I when I see him next to his players, and I see him next to like Mark Pope, who, by the way, is like what six ten, six eleven or something like that, I feel like if it was me, I would look shorter. But I'm five eight. I feel like he's probably about the same height, And I don't know why that's a question somebody's asking. But yeah, I don't know. I would imagine we're probably relatively close in height, but I don't know. All right, quick break again, we're going to talk to doctor Eric mclroy here on the other side. Get back to the text line. Get your set for the weekend. Week one of college football. It's here and I don't know how. I haven't got to it yet. But I had a tough loss last night with that minute so at a Carolina game. John and I both did but I didn't wager. But it was still a tough loss for me to see Colorado win when they shouldn't have. And I know I'm not alone, by the way. I'm not like just this hater out here on an island that's anti Colorado. I could sense it last night. The college football world wanted Dion Sanders in Colorado to lose, and they didn't, but they also didn't like Look, I mean like I could see them once again being the same kind of team it going down to the very wire to beat a good FCS program. Like I could see them being the same exact team as they were last year. All right, quick break, We'll come back on the other side, keep it rolling along. It's coffee and company. I feel about Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety. Coffee and company, rolling along here on a Friday afternoon, getting you set for the weekend. Appreciate you guys hanging out with us on another very hot day here in Kentuckyana. And joining us now is doctor Eric macelroy from Pro Rehab Physical Therapy. How are you doing, Eric, You staying cool? You staying hydrated.
Speaker 3: I'm doing the best I can. Let's put it that way.
Speaker 2: It's tough out there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's pretty hot, and you know, going out to kids soccer practices and everything else, and yeah, but you know, for the most part, staying up on it.
Speaker 2: I think yesterday was the hottest day in twelve years here in Louisville. And it's really just been a brutal week. And it's been I mean, if you are involved in any way and use sports rather that be you know, little league football or soccer, or even you know, middle school in high school football, it's been you've been tracking the heat index and the temperatures to kind of see if you were going to be able to play. And I know there's some leagues that have probably even if they were able to technically as far as the rule, they just decided not to because it's just been so hot. What are some tips you know for parents out there to like share with their kids, Like, Hey, I know, you know, when you're at practice, you're going to be chugging water, but it's probably going to go right through you. What are some things you would tell, you know, a ten year old or an eleven year old youth league football player when they got practice, Like some things throughout the day at school or maybe even after school they could do to be as be hydrated as best they can. Obviously drinking water is a big factor, but I know there's more too than just that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, Nick, you have kids. It's hard with kids too, you know e.
Speaker 5: It's like you constantly have to remind them to drink water or drink fluids unless it's something that they shouldn't be drinking, you know, SODA's or whatnot. So I think that one making sure that they are going to school.
Speaker 3: Most kids nowadays go to.
Speaker 5: School with a water bottle or some you know something, and that they're drinking throughout the day. You know, a lot one of the things you can do is monitor their water bottle, so like, you know, is this the water we filled up in the morning before you went to school, or is this something you.
Speaker 3: Filled up during the day, And you know, they'll they'll tell you, especially if they're old enough to tell you.
Speaker 5: That's important because if it's something they still had in the morning, they obviously didn't do a good job of drinking their water because they got to stay on top of it, especially if they are in sports. So that's one of the things. The other thing is, I think, you know, kids are pleasers. They're gonna try to please their coach, they're gonna try to please their parents, and making sure that hey, like, if you don't feel good, you need to say something, you know, especially at the ages where they don't have a trainer that's monitoring them.
Speaker 3: They don't have a trainer that's following them around.
Speaker 5: Giving them water, so you know, making sure that they're being honest and it's okay to be honest and to explain them like, you know, if you feel dizzy, if you feel nauseous, if you feel lightheaded, if you feel you know, whatever it is you feel, you know, make sure that you go to your coach and you tell them so you can, you know, either sit out or make sure that you're getting the water, getting checked out so we know that.
Speaker 3: You're not starting to have any heat exhaustion or anything like that.
Speaker 5: So you know, kids are resilient, and I think we take that for granted. So I think making sure that that they're being honest and open and and that they that if they don't feel good, that they can come to a coach or come to an adult and make sure that they.
Speaker 3: Let them know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I tell you what I think. I think when it comes to what you just said, you're speaking exactly to me, because you know, my son is four years old. He just turned four in June, and he's playing his first year of flag football. So he wants to please his coach, he wants to make everybody proud, but like this is new to him as far as being on a team and that kind of an atmosphere, right, and it's you know, it's a little league football. The're four and five years old. But still you know, they practice, you know, they've they've got coaches and it's it's adorable to see. But I was watching practice a couple of weeks ago and I thought, you know, he looked like he was in pain, like something was bothering him. So I walked over and I'm like, hey, buddy, okay, and he had to go to the bathroom, but he didn't want to tell anybody because you know, he's practicing. It's like he didn't realize, Hey, it's ok. You can say that you have to go to the bathroom, buddy, and we'll take you. It's not that big of a deal. So yeah, kids want to you know, especially when it's new to him. That's what stood out to me is that like this is all a brand new experience for him, so you know, you can never remind him too much. And you know this is probably a little to TMI for certain people, but like when it comes to him, I say, hey, buddy, try to drink as much liquid as you can drink water, because consider it a victory when you use the restroom and it's not dark, it's it's more so clear. And he tells me, Daddy, Daddy, it was it was clear, it wasn't dark, and I'm like, here.
Speaker 3: We go, that's right. And then you know it's great.
Speaker 5: You know the kids that age, you know, my wife is you know, speaking a team out but she, you know, for a long time, she wanted to see what our kids, you know, urine looked like, or what their poop look like. I mean, it's it's important now she's in that world, but it's still important.
Speaker 3: That you know, those are things that we're looking at because it.
Speaker 5: Does tell us a lot about how they're doing, you know, and especially if they're talking about upset stomachs or if they're not drinking water.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's extremely important.
Speaker 5: It's not something you want to do, but as a parent, there's a lot of stuff like that we have to do.
Speaker 2: So yep, and uh, you know, parenting it's it's the best thing that's ever happened to me. But you know, I'll admit it, I'm still learning stuff as I go.
Speaker 3: You know. It's it's you know, it's.
Speaker 2: Trial and error. So all right, So louisvill football getting started tomorrow. They're gonna be without Colin Lacey, transfer receiver, who will probably be out an extended period of time due to a collarbone injury. He broke his collar bone. He did have surgery last week. Uh, and I guess it kind of depends on maybe how severe the break was. But what would you say, you know, estimated timeline not for him to return, but to where he would be going through rehab to kind of you know, start that healing process because obviously it's gonna be a while before he can actually play. But how long after a surgery would you see somebody in this situation start actually going through physical therapy to to kind of you know, you know, take baby steps to return.
Speaker 3: Pretty soon, especially for clavical fractures.
Speaker 5: So once they have that secure and then the bones just gonna heal, we'll start doing things that you know, first we're gonna work around it some you know, but there's areas we can still work on and we can get a shoulder moving a little bit, you know, because that joint, the gal humoral joint, you know, they operate together. Everything operates together to some level, but you know, they also can be if we do it the.
Speaker 3: Right way independent. Uh.
Speaker 5: So, once they've kind of external or internally fixated that bone, if they have to, uh, then now we're really you know, the bone's trying to heal and at the same time we're trying to maintain mobility. Then we start integrating strength when the bone can tolerate it, and you know, then start building, you know, making sure that whatever level of conditioning we can do. You know, we're we're butting up to the season, so you know, whatever creative way or way we can get him going, so our our gap and you know, you know, we're all about closing the gap, like how can we close the gap close enough to that way it's seamless for him to get back on the field versus waiting around too long, you know, you know, trying to be ultras conservative where you know, then we have a larger gap once we get the green light, and now we're having to get him into shape and all that stuff. We you know, when you're building the end of the season, you'll have time for that. So when you're working with athletes, you got to think about, all right, yes, we got to protect the bone, We're got to protect the healing process.
Speaker 3: What can we do to do that, but also make sure.
Speaker 5: That we're getting him at the point where we're as close as we possibly can't be when when we know it's time to get him on the field and do some you know, catch and ball, you know, running routes, taking hits, whatever it may be. That way we're you know, we're not missing more time than we really need to be.
Speaker 2: Doctor K mclroy, Proti of Physical Therapy is our guest joining us here on a Friday afternoon on Sports Talk seven ninety. A pretty awful injury last night in one of the college football games North Carolina quarterback Max Johnson actually making his debut for the tar Heels. He played previously at A and m LSU and was out there for the Heels broken leg. Had had successful surgery on that broken right leg, according to On three Sports, and just something that that that stood out to me in this in this in this report was that he will be staying up in Minneapolis where he had the surgery, for the next few days and then returning to Chapel Hill. Does that stand out to you as surprising? Is that pretty common to have this kind of surgery, maybe not want to get on a plane and fly back. I just, you know, usually I feel like these guys, I mean, usually guys don't come back from a game coming off of a surgery for a broken leg. But I just I'm curious if that's because just for comfort or if that's like required by the medical staff to say, hey, after the surgery, you know you don't need to be traveling. You need to be in this hospital bed until you know, until we say so.
Speaker 3: So I didn't see this particular.
Speaker 5: Injury, it was pretty bad, tell yeah, and I'm assuming it was this tibi ar fibula.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they weren't showing replace, which told me is all I needed to know.
Speaker 5: So what that tells me is that area of the body, if that's the case, is very susceptible to what's called like compartment syndrome and infection. So if you think about what happened to Tiger, what you think about what happened to Alex Smith, so you know they're susceptible to that. So if there's any risk, they're going to keep him there to make sure that doesn't happen. Because if anybody saw the pictures of what Alex Smith like look like, looks like you don't want to go through that, and I think that you know, that's kind of where that comes from.
Speaker 3: It's it's all dependent on all right, you.
Speaker 5: Know, what's the what are the worst case scenarios for this situation and what do we need to do to make sure we're outside of that window of that happening and in that area of the body, especially if it compounded. So if the bone exited the skin, then they're even more concerned about that just because it got exposed to the external environment. And so even though they went in and cleaned all that out, it's still a risk, right, it's biology.
Speaker 3: So you know, I think that that's where they're they're gonna be.
Speaker 5: Ultra conservative and make sure that they don't create a you know, it's it's not like he has anything to do. I stay it that way, but like being there, being safe, being in that sterile hospital environment where they can monitor those things, so they're not creating you know, nothing, no secondary issues happened that could be more of a long term problem.
Speaker 2: So when that injury happened, obviously his teammates and even the other team could tell that was a very serious injury. I mean, everybody in the stadium could tell that it was that it was it was bad. When it comes to trying to get football players to kind of, you know, get back focused and try not to think about that, I mean, easier said than done. I mean, the human element in sports is a very powerful thing, but is it mostly like how often would a training staff potentially like be involved in that I mean, I assume you're you're if you're not the if you're not the trainer that's helping the athlete get to the back to get checked on and all that kind of stuff. It's just, you know, I feel like that that would be a very difficult thing to do, to have to kind of tell these guys, hey, I know you really care about your teammate who seems to be really hurt, but we got a game to play. I mean, it's it's kind of inhumane, but you know, that's that's kind of part of sports. I'm just curious in your in your in your experience in the sports side of things. Like I'm sure there are teammates who are distraught when they see their guy go down. I mean, Kevin Ware that was an emotional situation when that happened many many years ago, and I just it's one of those things that you probably don't think about the emotional side of it until you know it's you out there, and a lot of us, myself included, have never been in that position where I've played sports at that level.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I think that it's it's tough, you know, I'll be honest, I can speak in a personal experience. I was playing in a regional all star game here in football in Louisville, and we ran this really dumb. I don't know why at the time, cross middle kick return. It's an all star game and a kid who had committed to Louisville was blindsided a hit and he paralyzed it.
Speaker 3: You know, he ended up passing away several years later.
Speaker 5: But we we we play and I look back and I'm like, I have no idea how it's an all star game.
Speaker 3: It really didn't matter at that point. But you know, the and the guy that hit him, who was a very good football player at a Wagner, he quit. He could never.
Speaker 2: Play against that would do so much to it.
Speaker 5: Right, And I think that you know, we've seen this with the Buffalo Bills player. You know, they actually did stop the game, which was probably the right thing to do.
Speaker 3: That's a little different because he had a cardion caress.
Speaker 5: But I do think that you I think that you have to kind of reset the mindset of the players of like, we do know this is a risk and injuries happened.
Speaker 3: We hear it all the time in practice. You hear it all the time, and hosting.
Speaker 5: And all that stuff, and and you know it's unfortunate, and you also it's up to the staff to say, hey, look, he's gonna be fine, he's gonna be all right.
Speaker 3: Now we need to play for him, you know, you.
Speaker 5: Kind of change that, try to bring that to a different mindset.
Speaker 3: To get them to refocus and say, all right, let's let's take the time we need, but at the same time, let's now we have that much more to play for.
Speaker 5: Let's make sure that you know, you know, we're in the our heads are in the right place at this moment time, because you don't want players also obviously.
Speaker 3: Distracted or are working in fear or anything like that.
Speaker 5: So you know, I think different levels, you know, the higher you get it to go. Most of them have seen stuff like this happen, unfortunately, and so they're probably a little more I hate to call it callous to it, but you know it may not impact them as much and or they handle it or the way they handle it. And then they have sports psychologists there, I mean, they're on the field. It's amazing when you look.
Speaker 3: Down at the staff that's out there, who's probably.
Speaker 5: Down there to help kind of you know, talk to whoever needs to be talked to to get them in the right you know, mindset.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And just throughout this conversation it has actually made me realize how important it actually is to see those guys give those thumbs up when they're being carted off or some type of a sign.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, that could really go a long way now that I mean, I've always clearly you want to see something like that, But if you're a player and you're trying to get back focused, seeing that can help you kind of lock back in. And you know that, Not that I've ever acted like those things aren't helpful, but just in the conversation here, I just realized, Man, if it was me out there and I saw my guy give the thumbs up, I would it would be easier for me to kind of just get back focused and you know, try to go win and and compete. All Right, one more question for you before we let you go, Eric, Let's say, and I've been asking all of our guests this question this week as we're getting closer to college football season. In fact, it's here tomorrow is the first time a lot of people around here are going to be tailgating. Hopefully, whether it's not too bad. But if doctor Eric McElroy is going to be making an appearance at a tailgate and he's got three things he wants to make sure are there. What do we need to provide to make sure we're accommodating doctor McElroy. Could be food, could be beverage, could be something in regards to the atmosphere. What is crucial for doctor McElroy.
Speaker 3: Well, I think the first thing.
Speaker 2: Is Okay, I like it.
Speaker 3: I like it, you know, I mean, so I think that that's just that's one.
Speaker 5: You know, a cold beer, you know, I just you know, I'm not I don't drink as much beer.
Speaker 3: As I used to. If I'm gonna have beverages, it just comes with age, I think. But but you know, yeah, I think a beer, and then.
Speaker 5: I think just a really good cheese dip, caso dip, you know, something about like chips and dip or.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, some salty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, something like that. Just that's what I have to add.
Speaker 2: Good stuff, good stuff. I can't wait football seasons here, I know, as a football player yourself. I mean, it's best time of the year. It's just I mean, it's the vibes are great. But Eric, I appreciate you as always making time for us and enjoyed the holiday weekend, enjoy the football and we will talk soon, my friend.
Speaker 3: That sounds good. Have a go with Nick.
Speaker 2: Take care. That's doctor Eric McElroy again from Pro Rehabs Therapy. Always appreciate him making time for us. And now we got to take a quick break. We'll come back and wrap up the four o'clock hour. Don't forget though, we're taking you up till six o'clock. So hang out right here with us on Sports Talk seven ninety. Not a lot of time left here in the four o'clock hour. And I'm just scrolling through Twitter here and just a reminder that like we're so close that like we're getting stir crazy here. I think we just want to see our teams play. We've exhausted all different ways. You can talk about expectations, the new you know, storylines, that kind of stuff. And this is from Katz coverage. They cover UK. I would assume, but it says here at starting quarterback Brock Vandergriff says he doesn't tell the coaches, but he struggles to sleep the night before games because he loves football so much and like everybody's sharing that, Like, yeah, I would hope that everybody who plays football at a high level loves doing it and is you know, enjoys it. But yeah, I mean as much as we as fans are just ready, I think these guys are ready to. I mean, they've been practicing against each other for you know, the entire offseason, and even if it is an inferior opponent tomorrow for louisvilland for Kentucky for that matter, it's at least somebody different. And although from a selfish fan that I am standpoint, like I want to see my team week in and week out play somebody where I feel like I'm learning, Are they getting better? What did this mean? You know? Is what's to gain here? And with tomorrow you have a chance to gain a win, and you know, you only play twelve games, so the more wins you get, the better, and tomorrow should be a win. If not, you got big problems. But it's just, you know, it's hard to know what the value is there. So my point is this, in the portal era, with so many new pieces, I think it's it actually does make sense to have the schedule for Louisville set up the way that it has where you have Jacksonville State next week, and of course this be costin p Those are the two worst teams you're going to play all year, and it'll give you a chance to work through some things. Maybe. I mean, I would hope that they don't have a bad performance in either of these games. But let's say you know, they don't cover the thirty seven or whatever the spread is next week. You know that wouldn't be ideal. But I also can't act like all that means we're going to be in trouble because again, like you just it's these guys can tell themselves they're going out there and play in Florida State, but they know they're not, you know, and especially when you're up a few scores or something, you know, things can kind of slip. But i'd rather them be able to have some you know, some growing pains as a unit, right because again, although these guys are veterans, a lot of them have transferred in are quarterbacks like thirty years old. You know, this is still new as far as this team. You know, they've practiced together, but now it's really a game, and I think it's it's a benefit to be able to work through some things, make some mistakes, you know, kind of cut your teeth a little bit against these kind of teams to where you could do that and probably still win big. You do it against Georgia Tech. Now, maybe it's a different story because as we know, Georgia Tech is an acc team, and they right now have the biggest upset of the season thus far. And I wouldn't be shocked if we get to the end of week one and you still say that's the biggest upset. I mean, top ten teams don't lose in the first week or two very often, because rarely do you see top ten teams, you know, play good teams this early in the season. But anyways, we got to run quick break. We've got the five o'clock hour on a Friday coming your way. We'll talk more about the weekend's matchups because there's a lot of great games. In fact, the good games aren't the ones here locally. But I know that's what people care about Louisville, Kentucky.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 2: But we'll finish strong. At least we'll try. I mean, we always try. I can't guarantee you what's gonna happen, but stick around you'll find out right here on Sports Talk seven ninety