Speaker 1: The summertime is upon us, and if you remember last year, the podcast took a break for a few weeks during those busy summer months and I put out a few episodes from the After Hours Club archives over at patreon dot com slash Twilight tern Podcast. Now, it wasn't my intention to do that again this year. I really wanted to plow on and get some more episodes of the main show done, But unfortunately, I'm afraid I have to admit defeat. Rest assured. Everything is fine, but there are just a lot of things that I have to take care of at the moment, one of which is moving house, which on its own is a big deal, but there are several things on top of that as well. And with so few of the main show episodes left to do, I don't want to rush them out or not to do them justice. So I thought I'll just take June off, get what I need to do done, and then hopefully we should get back to spare of the moment in July at the very latest August. Now, if you remember over in the After Hours Club, you will still get new episodes looking at the Outer Limits, and you know the other things that go on over there. Because of the support that you give me in the After Hours Club, I'm able to get an editor to put those together for me, but the Twilight Zone podcast is a very particular thing that I need to do myself. So thank you for your patience and tonight for your enjoyment. I give to you a discussion that I had with my good friend al Shadesmayer about an episode of an anthology show called Suspense that featured an episode written by Rod Sailing called Nightmare at Ground Zero, and I hope you enjoy it. First broadcast on the eighteenth of August nineteen fifty three. Written by Rod Sailing and directed by Robert Mulligan, Nightmare at Ground Zero tells the story of George Vance and his long suffering wife Helen. Now, George is supplying mannequins for use on an atomic test site, but his obsession with mannikins and other inanimate figurines is at the expense of his relationship with Helen, and it's understandably starting to get to her. So tired of Helen's complaining, George hatches a plan that will both save one of his beloved mannequins from nuclear annihilation and quiet Helen's complaining for good. So tonight I'm going to be joined in the archives by my friend al Shadzmer to examine this early rod sailing artifact.
Speaker 2: Hello, dear, alright, I've got so much to do yet, and I haven't eaten. I waited supper as long as I could. It got cold, lovely dinner. I had cold roast. The cold potatoes were particularly George, George, Dear, Really, I've had a very miserable day. The Colonel had me on the carpet all afternoon. I didn't have all the mannequins quite done, and and he was quite anxiou. Isn't that just too bad? Did you telling me I had a wife in the house? A wife that gets precious little attention as it is.
Speaker 3: I promised you.
Speaker 2: You promise me too. Ten years ago.
Speaker 1: You promised me we'd have a wonderful life together.
Speaker 2: Wonderful life, that's a yack. The first year it was the puppets, Yeah, the puppet, the wonderful little Marionette, Yeah, the wonderful Little Marian. It kept us starving for two years, crazy stupid.
Speaker 1: It's a great pleasure tonight to welcome to the after hours club. A man who's been here several times before before it was actually known as the After Hours Club, and it's good to have him back all shades. I can't believe it's been so long. Welcome back, Al.
Speaker 3: Thank you Tom. It's great to be back. It's great to be in the official after Hours Club.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I think you're a founder member with all the collaborations we've had over the years and things, and it's a thrill for me to do more, especially with the kind of series within a series. If you're like that that we're deciding to do. But face things fast. It's almost a year since I seen you at Sailing Fest, Mink. Can you believe in that's right?
Speaker 3: It's I can't believe it. No, it's that year went by very quickly.
Speaker 1: How was your sailing Festyle? I don't think we spoke about that live on it.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think we have. I really enjoyed it. I had a great time. It was great to meet different people, and I just I loved being able to be amongst people who could converse Twilight Zone and Sirling in the minutest detail, and and I loved just meeting the different authors. And you know, I got like practically I bought practically every book and got them autographed, and the features were great fun, and I was ready to come again this year. And I'm really sorry that things the way they are that it's not going to be happening. So but I would love to make it an annual thing as much as possible.
Speaker 1: Same here. You know, you're absolutely right. The events itself was one thing, and that was great, but just being able to sit in a pub and talk about the Twilight Zone was a completely new experience for me, especially like isolated as we are here in England to the Twilight Zone. So being able to just sit there and have those conversations, it was, it was absolutely amazing. I'll never forget it, never forget it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and you know, and some of the features were just eye opening. It just I remember in particularly the fellow that did the thing about the Twilight Zone comic books, Yeah, which was you know, I mean, it was just it just opened up a whole other avenues of the whole Twilight Zone mystique.
Speaker 1: I hope you haven't got a box of I'm sitting under your desk there. I'll he didn't, because that's me all over, you know, you get me interested in something. The next minut I've gone about half a million of the things.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I've got a handful of them. But no, no, not a box sitting.
Speaker 1: Underneath Okay, okay, good, good. Now. Also, you know, I like to catch up on this because you are the presenter of presenting Alfred Hitchcock Presents. That's a lot of presents in that sentence. But we've spoke about it before, but I always like to check in and see how you're getting on house things with the podcast.
Speaker 3: Things are good. I am working from home since the onset of COVID in this country, and as a result, it's been about what would it be about five months since I've been able to be in the library's podcast studio where everything is beautifully set up for me, So I have to do sort of this makeshift system at home. Fortunately the library inform me ahead of time before they shut down that they were going to do so, and I was able to bring a lot of equipment at home. Okay, so I'm still able to podcast, but it's a whole different baby. All sorts of worries about outside noise and and and little sounds coming up on my computer while I'm busy recording and so on, But all in all, I've been proceeding pretty well. And as a matter of fact, I just released an episode today because today is Alfred Hitchcock's one hundred and twenty first birthday.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, okay, cool? Was it an episode or were you talking? Was it like a special? What did you do?
Speaker 3: It was just an episode. I started the I started the series. My first episode I released on Hitchcock's birthday in twenty eighteen, and so yeah, so it's been two years. Yeah, So I've just made sure each year to release one of my episodes on his birthday. So August thirteenth is when we're talking right now, and that's Hitchcock's birthday. So my twenty fourth episode I just released today. I've been doing the monthly generally speaking. I did put in one filler in June because I did get slowed down with the stay at home stuff, but otherwise I've been pretty consistent doing it once a month.
Speaker 1: The fact that you've been able to do that, I think is a testament to you, al because they are like jam packed with research and clips and things that a real treat and they really expand on the episode so you know what, once a month. I think that's that's pretty good going. Man.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you, Tom. It does help that I get paid by the library to do it, yeah, I'll ask yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Well as far as working from home goes, man, if you if you ever need a room here at the After Hours Club to record your podcast, and you can have it. But I don't know, I can't vouch for what you might find in there, but you know you welcome to it. Great, Okay, Well, we're here tonight to discuss an episode of Suspense. Now, I know Suspense mainly from the radio show, and it's not like top of my list. I've enjoyed many episodes of it. I think I prefer more overtly science fiction or overtly horror radio shows, but I do think Suspense was a good show, and it's certainly a long running show. Are you familiar with it al the radio show?
Speaker 3: I am, Yes, Yeah, I've listened to a bunch of the episodes, And actually it fits into my whole Hitchcock podcasting because what you're talking about the kind of shows that Suspense are are essentially the kind of shows that Hitchcock are, and a lot of the suspense radio shows, and actually some of the suspense TV shows were later redone on the Hitchcock TV show. So, even outside of my interest in old time radio, I've gone back and listened to a number of suspense radio shows because they were the big for a television episode of Hitchcock that I was covering.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, am I right? Or am I thinking something else? Wasn't the fast episodes of suspense presented by Hitchcock or was that something else? Yes, it was the Lodger.
Speaker 3: It was the Lodger, and it was the pilot episode. I'm not entirely sure it was. Actually I don't think it was actually presented on Suspense.
Speaker 1: Okay, it was.
Speaker 3: Presented I think on a different show, But it was the pilot episode for suspense, right, So I may have that wrong, but it's something like that. Yes, so, yes, yeah, he's rating on the ground floor of suspense.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: As far as the television show goes, I know nothing about it. This is the first time I've ever watched an episode of it. I don't even know whether much of it exists anymore. Have you much experience with that?
Speaker 3: Well, a little bit, Yeah, and there are a fair number of them out there, and they're mostly available online. There were like three different DVD sets I think came out about ten years ago, one of which had Nightmare of Ground Zero on it and they plastered Rod Serling's face on the cover. You know, So there are I don't think, and I don't think all of them are still in existence by any means, but they are a decent amount, which is not bad because I think they were recorded live. I think they were done live, yes, And it just so happens. If somebody happened to, you know, film the kinescope, then we have actual episodes. If not, they don't exist.
Speaker 1: What a fascinating thing. And I think we can see a bit of evidence of that in tonight's episolutely Yes. Now, last time we spoke about like Twilight Zone plays and things I'm not Twilight Zone plays. What am I talking about? Like Vincage Rudd sailing plays? And I think I struggled to acclimatize a little bit because they are so different. And I think it was you who said they are just like they are plays on screen, really, and I think you were a bit better at that than me, because you're a play, right anyway, you know, you have that kind of theater experience if you're like, well, so, I guess this one's no different, is it. It's just like a play recorded on television.
Speaker 3: I think that's right. I think it was done live, and once again, you had different sets and you had to make sure that the actors could get to the different sets, or if they had to change their clothes or whatever, you had to give them time to do so. And I think that a lot of what's interesting about this episode is the camera work. But I think the camera work is actually there because it's done live and you don't want to just show like a stage. Yeah, and so the camera work, there's a lot of close ups, there's a lot of moves to weird angles and so on. I think those are all there. I mean, part of it might be the creative impulse of the director, but I think a lot of it is there just to cover up the fact that you're just essentially watching a stage play.
Speaker 1: Things like the way they use the like the mesh fencing in front of the house. Yeah, there's a lot of little touches here. I found this to be less stagy than those other ones we watched. Probably for those reasons. I think there is a bit of movement going on. The sets are very different, like there's a house there, and there's the there's the test house, and you know that even driving along in a car and yeah, it's not the most convincing, but it sort of gives us that separation of the scenes. So I think this is a bit less stagy than those ones.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think actually the car works pretty well.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know, if you're just watching and not paying much attention, you just say, I mean to the ins and outs of the creative process, you're saying, oh, well, they're in a car and they're driving, and it seems perfectly fine. If you stop and think about it, you say, well, wait a minute, their car isn't moving, and it's all being done with lights and with sound effects, and the main character is just moving the steering wheel back and forth a little bit and that's it. But it works beautifully.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll kind of step through the story. I will have given a synopsis earlier on by now, But in the first part of the story, when introduced to George Vance and his wife Helen, George faced because he's at this this test site, house. Now, I'll be honest with you, I don't know a great deal about these I think what I know I've probably seen in the movies. But they are like something that when you see them, these houses that were built with dummies in and like in this that even putting electrics in and things, just to see what happens when you know, you set a nuclear bomb off near to electric There's a kind of morbid fascination that comes along with these things because they are so kind of grit grotesque in their own way. Just this like fifties American household populated by domis. It's so bizarre, isn't it.
Speaker 3: It's very bizarre. And I actually didn't really know much about this, and I wasn't really even sure that they did put mannequins into these places. So I looked it all up and they absolutely did.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 3: I found a website where they said they talked about One of the explosions at Yucca Flats was a mission that they called Operation Doorstep, and the website said it was used to determine if wooden frame homes, cars, and mannequins in place of people could survive a nuclear blast, and that took place on March seventeenth of nineteen fifty three. This episode is sometime in August in nineteen fifty three. Wow, so people that are watching this would probably be very aware of exactly what was going on and what the deal was with the mannequins and so on. So I think, Rod, you know, I think it's I think it's one of these moments where this happened, you know, in real life. And this light bulb went over Red Rod's head, you know, and he said, Aha, you know, mannequin's in a house that's going to be exploded with an atomic bomb. I can do something with that. And he did it rather quickly because it aired but like maybe five months after the actual explosion. So yes, and the whole business of Yucca Flats, I mean, that doesn't really mean anything to us now. I don't think there's a moment in the very beginning of this episode which I think is supposed to be this moment of shock, and it really doesn't penetrate now. And that's when they leave this house when we're not entirely sure what the house is yet, and the camera pans over to this sign that says Yucca Flats and it's like, well, fine, you know, good Yucca flats whatever. But if this is the kind of stuff that was going on just a few months before, that sign really means something to the people watching in nineteen fifty three. They immediately know what this house is and what's going to happen to this house.
Speaker 1: It's fascinating to me, and it might be something that I actually reads upon a bit, to be honest. And there's a bit later on where like George is going back into the base and the guy at the gate is like, okay, but get moving because it's thirty five miles. You know, It's like, how big must this thing be? It must be absolutely huge, and I don't know. I guess it must have to be if you're going to set off a nuclear bomb there. But yeah, the scale of it is immense.
Speaker 3: And terrifying really, So you do have this ticking clock throughout this episode which is very scary because of what's going to happen.
Speaker 1: George Vance he is the man who makes the mannequins, and he goes home and we have this scene with him and his wife, Helen. Some might say it's a kind of Twilight Zone nagging wife in a way, Yes, And I would probably draw more of a parallel with Time Enough at Last if Rodd was the one who originally wrote time Enough at Last, But that's in the original story anyway. But I guess because he did write the episode, and he wrote this episode, you can draw certain parallels. The wife is a bit of a nagging wife, But I'm okay with it because I think George is just such a flake. He is just like this, has this weird obsession with puppets, models, mannequins, and I don't blame her for being a bit out of her mind, to be honest, I think it's completely justified. What do you think of these scenes out?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I agree with that. Yes, it is justified. But the scenes are quite eerie. I think they're really nicely done. When when we first see his wife, she's sitting there amongst these mannequins, which he is still has at home, and she's not moving, so to some extent, she's like one of the mannequins, and that I think actually becomes part of the point with the way George views her because he loves the mannequins. There is a line that he has Let's see if I can find it. I wrote it down. He says that the mannequins are gentle kind and quiet, Helen, if only you.
Speaker 1: Were that way.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so he's got this obsession with these inanimate objects that he deals with as if they're people. So I think, you know, there's a number of Twilight Zone episodes that I think this is almost like a precursor for, and to some extent, you have to say that The After Hours is one of them. Oh yeah, because the mannequins do become real to.
Speaker 1: George definitely, definitely. I mean it's a bit of a weird obsession. I mean, Henry Bee must like to read. I can kind of get on board with that one, Whereas, Okay, when there's like painting mannequins and stuff, it just marks him out as a bit more insane, you know what I mean. I don't think there's much kind of light and shade here. The more time you spend with this guy, the more I just think he's just not right, you know.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, he spends his time like very carefully doing the eyebrows of the mannequin. You know, this is a mannequin that's going to be blown up in a nuclear explosion, and he's taking time to get the eyebrow just right. And it does remind me a little bit going back to Hitchcock of an episode I covered, which is based on a great Bradbury story called and So died Ryabushinska, which is about a ventriloquist with his dummy that he essentially falls in love with. So it's a very similar notion of being in love with something that's actually inanimate, but that you infuse some sort of life force into by your obsession with it. Yeah, and so yes, I mean those scenes with him and his wife, I agree. I mean, she seems sort of shrill, but you have to sympathize with her to a great extent because as she's talking to him, he's doing those eyebrows and those other things are the vaticans, and they're very nice, eerie moments. I think in this in this.
Speaker 1: Episode, Yeah, there's some great use of those mannequins. And I think Helen, his wife, there is probably in the script and in the performance a certain little aspect of her. Even in this scene where she doesn't just write him off. It's not like, right, you're just nuts, you spend all your time with mannequins. There is a pleading aspect to it as well. She is very much like, come on, I'm going to keep working at this until you kind of snap outs of it and we can have something, which I thought was pretty nice considering, you know, a lot of the times it is just a shrill wife. But she did have a couple of lays to it as well.
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely, Now what ends up happening, you can argue, is a writer in this case rod manipulating the circumstances so things happen just right. But she does insist on going along with him when he brings the mannequins. But then she also insists on taking a sleeping pill. Yeah, so you can say, well, that's a little bit crazy, and it sets up the situation where she's asleep in the car when he arrives so he can do what he does. But also, in its own way, it makes a certain amount of sense. She's terrified of the bomb, but she does want this marriage to work, so she wants to go along and be part of his profession. But she's too scared to be there in spirit, there in body. Yeah, and that works for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think with an episode like this, I kind of see it more as I don't know, not exactly tails from the crypt or something, but that's similar. I mean, it's suspense. You know, it's trying to set up a suspenseful story, and that's what's most important about it, which I think it does really well. So she pops a load of pills. They get in the car, and this is the point where, like I was saying before, the security guard's saying, it's thirty five miles down this And they get there and he decides to put his wife, who's now passed out on sleeping pills, in the bed, covers her with a blanket, hopes no one will see, and he's setting things up. Now, what's good is Rod isn't just going for the suspense leading up to like the end sequence with the bomb. He's layering little elements of suspense throughout. And one of them here is the commanding officer t Han Cannel I think he was. And that's a nice little suspenseful moment, isn't it, where he's going in to check the monicins.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's one of those moments again where it happens in a lot of programs. You're not necessarily rooting for this guy, but he's the character that is the character you're following, So on some level, you hope he doesn't get caught, even though that means that his wife will get blown up in an atomic explosion. So it is a suspenseful moment. Will the colonel find that he's put his wife in the bed instead of a mannequin? And as I said, you're sort of rooting that he doesn't find that. Now again, once again, there's some coincidences that happen there so that he doesn't find it. The colonel is like called away before he gets a good look at her. But once again, that's fine, but it is interesting that it puts you in that situation where you are rooting for a man who is trying to kill his wife with an atomic explosion.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I also think that before that, there's a really nice moment, which is after he's put all the mannequins into the house, the camera pans back out to the car and in the passenger seat where his wife was sleeping is the mannequin that he was dolling up by putting the eyebrows on and so on. So it's not just that he's left the mannequin in the back, which is where the mannequin was originally. He's put the mannequin in the front seat. She's essentially replacing his wife. And it's a nice creepy moment where the camera pans over and there's this mannequin in there where you're expecting, unless you've figured out what he's doing, where you're expecting to see his wife sleeping there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a great moment. It really was. It really was. Now did you catch this? I'm sure the candle fluffs his lines once or twice he does. I think at one point, remember what he was talking about, like and these will all be ten to dust and it's going to be dangerous dust because it's going to be I think he was going to say radio Octavos on but he's like, it's going to be radio.
Speaker 3: You just he says something about the radio, yes, right, Yeah, he fumbles his lines. There's also a moment where they close a door and the door opens back up again, and I think there's also I think the front of like the grandfather clock in the house opens up. So these are things that you know, they're they're not part of the story, they were not planned, they're clearly they they're recording this live and if the door opens, the door opens, yeah, you know it. Actually, it reminds me my parents, who were in their twenties in the in the in the early nineteen fifties, used to tell me that they used to watch this show on early television. They couldn't remember what the show was, but they loved it because it was done live, and it was hilarious all the mistakes that would happen, and it was done clearly on like a set, So a guy would like slam a door and like the whole wall would like flop back and forth, you know, things like this. So they got a lot of humor of these early days when they were doing these things. So this kind of stuff happened consistently in these shows that were live. They're just on sets, I mean, they're not out on location or anything. And if they close the door and the door happens not to close properly and it opens back up again, then they just ignore it and continue like you would on stage.
Speaker 1: Now, George he leaves Helen there in the bed and he drives back home with the mannequin that he's been making up and stuff. God knows what he had planned that night.
Speaker 2: But he.
Speaker 1: Hears the radio when he gets home and it's talking about, you know, the atomic testing is going to happen tonight, et cetera, et cetera, And he gets a pang of conscious conscience, sorry, and he he heads over back to the site. Now, man, he's put some miles in tonight.
Speaker 3: I don't know where he's coming from. He has put some miles. If it's like thirty miles in each direction just from the gate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, But he manages to get there just about in time, it seems. Now again, I really like the car scenes, the way it's set up. But he gets Helen out, he wakes her up and like he kind of confesses to her that he was going to kill her. And they get back into the car and they drive them back. Now, you know, we said about the nagging wife and stuff, and it's justified because George is such a bit of a flaky guy. But then it kind of undoes all of that in this car journey because she's like, Okay, he's just admitted he was going to kill me. She's like, well, you know, I just didn't give you a chance to die. It was too hard on't you. Maybe we can try again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, right, you know, but he came back for me, so you know he can't be then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like, I'm not going to come down hard on it or anything like that. It is what it is. It's of its time and so on. But it's just such an odd thing, the sailing, because it is a great suspenseful scene as well. You hear the countdown on the radio as the driving away. You even see the flash of the explosion and he stops the car. I would have kept going, but yeah, me too, But that sailing kind of ends it on a note that was was it supposed to be sweet because George is still insane and he's just almost killed his wife. But what do you think of this?
Speaker 3: Al Yeah, it's a little bit odd, and I think on one level, I think it's that Rod came up with this idea, which you know, as I said, he had this flash of insight where he thought he you know, he read about the mannequins at Yucca Flats and he thought, I could come up with something where the guy who creates the mannequins tries to kill his wife by putting her in in his place. But then how do you end that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: So I think that's the problem. And I think he had a problem with ending it and I don't. And he didn't want to end it badly, you know, he didn't want he didn't want her to actually die in the explosion. So what do you do? And what you do is you reconcile them. Now, it's a bit of a tough go, but you can sort of justify it to some extent. You can say that she's been trying all along to keep this marriage together, and that she knows he's an odd duck, and she knows that he's possibly capable of crazy things. And on his side, you can I think there's a nice little situation here where because he's put her in the spot of the mannequin, he sort of starts to think of her along the way as he thinks of the mannequins. I think you can argue that she becomes somebody that is worth loving like he loves the mannequins, because he's transposed her with a mannequin briefly. So so I can sort of see him reconciling more than her. But the other question is which is not answered. I mean, I guess we're supposed to assume they're fine, but do they survive the explosion? I mean, are they far enough away? Because it ends as it ends, they like essentially hold hands, he touches her hand or something which shows, you know, they're together again, and then it ends there. I mean, we don't get what is the resultant great wins from an atomic explosion or anything. So I think we're supposed to assume that they're fine, but we're not. Actually, it doesn't go any farther than that, so we don't really know for certain that they're fine.
Speaker 1: Maybe that would have been a way to do it, you know what I mean, because I assume that they're fine as well. But it's problematic in that it's just like you just tried to kill your wife. You know, you can't really just go back and like have dinner after something like that. But it would almost maybe it would have been better if if they'd have had this moment of reconciliation as they were consumed by the like the bomb, you know what I mean. That would have been an interesting way to end it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, yeah, I agree, Maybe that's the way it should have ended. You know, the same shot with him holding her hand and then you know, just a bright light and that's it, you know, and who knows, maybe maybe that's something Rod would have considered it. Maybe, you know, the suspense people said, no way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a bit much for that time, I guess, yeah, yeah, okay. So you know, we spoke at the beginning all about the staginess of those other ones and how I like this one, but I think it goes beyond just the fact that they move cameras. I think this one benefits almost from this setting, the kind of almost overexposed a look of it at sometimes it has this atomic glow yes, and I really think that it benefits from being at this time filmed in this way, and I think it all comes together really nicely in terms of the look of it.
Speaker 3: What do you think, Yeah, I agree, it has this very off kilter feel to it, which I think is perfectly appropriate when you're considering that you're setting is the spot where an atomic an atomic detonation is going to be happening. So so it's already a completely odd situation. And the gates or the guard are the car, the house, George's and Helen's house, where all the mannequins are sitting around the house itself, which one of the guards says at one point something along the lines of it looks like a house, and it's furnished like a house, but it ain't a house. I mean, it's that whole feeling throughout the whole show is like it's real and yet it isn't real, or it's built to be destroyed. I think that there's a whole cock eyed feel to the whole thing, and I think the way it's done with the sets, with the camera movements, with the close ups on the mannequins and on the various faces and so on, works really well to accentuate that uneasiness and that strangeness.
Speaker 1: I agree definitely. Do you think Rhodes was trying to say anything with this one or is he just just writing a straight up, good old suspenseful story.
Speaker 3: I think Rod is always trying to say something. This one may be a straight up suspenseful story, but I think that there is some commentary there in terms of, you know, how you view people and how you treat people, and you know, the brass, the Army Brass are dealing with these mannequins. They're supposed to deal with them as people, but they're also dispensable people, and I think that George, in dealing with manniquins is more real than people, is also part of this. So I think that, yes, I think there's an aspect of dehumanizing people in this episode. And I think that at the end of the episode, you could say that Rod is saying that George has found his humanity and part of that humanity is to deal with people as people and not as things, which is what he does with his wife at the end. So, you know, I don't know if Rod put that in there or not, but knowing Rod, I would suspect that that was part of his point.
Speaker 1: I suppose you could also say just the very act of bringing it into people's homes. You know, people have read about it on the news, people have read about in the newspapers and so on, but just the act of bringing it into people's homes, just saying, Okay, it's not something so far away anymore. You're right there in this house now. And even look, a woman is in this house when this is going to go off, Look at what's happening here. You know, I suppose you could also say that as well.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, yeah, it's a terrifying situation. You know, here are all these people in nineteen fifties America. That, yeah, that's a good point, Tom. There are people in nineteen fifties America already afraid of the bomb and already afraid in the Cold War, and then you bring this right into their homes, and you bring it right into this woman sleeping in this bed, all un knowing that she's going to get blown up up, which is the fear that people have during this time that maybe when they're asleep in their beds, they'll be an attack and they'll get blown up. So, yes, I think you're absolutely right.
Speaker 1: Thank you man, Thank you. So I guess to sum up then, i'll I mean, we both sound pretty positive on this one. What are your final thoughts on it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I wanted to say a couple of things about the actors. First of all, before we sum up. I don't know much about a number of these actors. The star is a guy named o Z Whitehead who actually has a pretty full bio, but I wasn't familiar with him and he according to Wikipedia, the OZ stands for ooth out Zabriski. Wow, So it's not surprising he went with OZ. Yeah, and one of the things I like that Wikipedia mentioned on him is that because his initials spell OZ, that he was in an episode of Perry Mason called The Case of the Cowardly. So now his wife is played by Louise Larabie, and I don't know much about her either, but I don't. I don't watch much ahead with Alfred Hitchcock, just the same as you don't with the Twilight Zone. But I have watched like two or three episodes ahead and I just watched one with Louise Larabie in it, and in it in it she plays a nagging wife whose husband wants to kill her, only in the Hitchcock episode he succeeds. So I don't know if this was part of just what she had to deal with as an actress in the fifties, whether she was playing these roles often or not. But uh. But the two actors I do recognize in this episode are two of the guards, and one of them is Lonnie Lonnie Chapman, and he's in lots of stuff and he's very familiar for the Hitchcock perspective. I know he's he's like the counterman in the diner in the Birds, but he was if you look up his IMDb he was in tons of stuff. And the other guy is Pat Hengele, who who is known by a lot of people as Commissioner Gordon in The Batman, the Batman movies with my with Michael Keaton in them. But he's also in the Twilight Zone episode that you're going to be coming up to not too far down the line, the Incredible World of Horace Ford, in which I think he's brilliant. I think he is incredible in that episode. He's because it's an incredible world. But that's an episode I think is undervalued, and I think what makes it great actually more than anything else, is Pat Hengele's performance. So it's interesting to see him as one of these guards, clearly as a young actor just getting started. So yeah, So actually, the the interesting thing is the most recognizable actors to anybody today are two of the younger guys playing smaller roles.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, yeah, yeah, you know, I'll have to admit I didn't know is Pat Engle until I saw him on IMDb. But that's fascinating. I mean there's a couple of little connections as well. I think in the in the cast and crew. Let me see, there was something I noticed before, but I can't find what it was. Oh yeah, Oh no, it's a Batman reference. William Dozer. Oh, William Dozer, Yes, that was what it was.
Speaker 3: That's right, Yes, yeah, he was the executive producer of Suspense apparently, and is the executive producer and the narrator on Batman, the sixties TV show.
Speaker 1: All right, then let's sum up. What are your overall thoughts on this one.
Speaker 3: Well, we've pointed out the flaws in it, and it does have flaws, and perhaps the biggest flaw is the ending. Yeah, but I think it all works very nicely in spite of that. And as we said, I think part of what makes it work is exactly the fact that it was this live show filmed probably off a kinescope by somebody just with a camera. That really adds to the atmosphere of it. So I think I think it's not only a terrific little episode, but I think it's clearly a forerunner to The Twilight.
Speaker 1: Soon Definitely, I think we're on the same page with this one. I really enjoyed this one totally, you know, flaws and all, and to a degree, the floors were part of the charm. You know, it's not pain effect because it's this rough round the edges live performance, even with like the the organ music that was too loud sometimes and I could just imagine, did they just have a guy sitting there playing the organ like d all the time?
Speaker 3: Very possible, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess they must have done. But yeah, it's just like I like it as an artifact, like a sailing artifact. I like it as a piece of entertainment in its own right, and I like the fact that it genuinely had a kind of creepiness to it, the use of the mannequins, like you said, and angles, like there's a point where you see the monequin laying in the back of the car as well the way they go around that. So yeah, you can just you know, you can riff on all these things that were going to be picked up again in the Twilight Zone. So I think this is a great little art of fact, and I'm glad we spoke about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree, And I think besides the after hours and there's probably more. I mean, you mentioned time enough at last, but I think you can see elements of it in the lateness of the hour with the way Helen criticizes George's obsession with these artificial things, and she actually at one point she even like pounds on one of the mannequins. She like hits it in the same way that Jana in the Lateness of the Hour sort of goes after the robots. And also, of course you can see elements of the shelter, so I think it is sort of a nice prototype twilight zone that shows a lot of the way Rod thinks and what he's gonna end up doing later on. And we didn't mention at all the auto light ads that are in it, Oh my god, it was so long, that are also just of their time in a really interesting and amazing way. And those I think were live too, because Operator twenty five Western Union Operator twenty five flubs are lied at a certain point, so I think they're actually filming the show, and then they move the camera over to this guy standing there to advertise auto light, and then they go back to the show. I think it was all just let's go with it and whatever happens happens, and that's really sort of great too.
Speaker 1: So I nearly went out and caught me call bastere changed after that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, you know, I mean that's in the radio shows. You're used to all the Alli light ads. But this whole big thing is needs it needs water only three times a year during normal car use, you know, and it's been so many decades since anybody had to put any water in batteries at all. That that in and of itself is sort of a museum piece.
Speaker 1: All parts of the charm, all parts of the charm. Yes, well, I'll I guess we'll leave it there, mom Bo. Thank you so much for coming on and talking about with it. It's always a blast and you always bring so much to the conversation that it's always a pleasure. So thank you.
Speaker 3: Min Well. I appreciate it, Tom, and I always enjoy talking to you anytime you want to do you know, we were talking about doing these like every third month. I'm up for it. You want to do them more often than that, I'll see what I can do. I always enjoy seeing you and talking to you, and you're continuing to do a fantastic job on the Twilight Zone podcast and I can't wait for the next one.
Speaker 1: Thank you man. Thank you. So where can people find presenting Alfred Hitchcock Presents.
Speaker 3: Well, it's on YouTube. No, I'm sorry, it's not on YouTube. It's on iTunes, and I think you know, if you just put in presenting Alfred presenting Efort Ditchcock Presents, you know, in your search you'll probably find other places that it is. But it's also mainly on the annab Redistrict Library website, which is AADL dot org. So to get specifically to it, it's AADL dot org slash Hitchcock will take you to all of the episodes that are there right now.
Speaker 1: Brilliant, fantastic stuff. Fantastic stuff. So, as Il mentioned, and I've mentioned it before here on the After Hours Club, but I'm going to kind of go in rotation for this tier because you know, we'll be covering a night Gallery one month, and then Vintage Sailing and then the Loner and we'll just go around like that. So I I'm so glad you're on board. And next time we'll put something up for the Board of Directors to kind of vote on it and we'll see what we get. But I can't wait to cover it. Thank you, al, thank you Tom.
Speaker 3: It's a pleasure to be sitting here in the After Hours Club.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that is enough from us. We're about to go and drive to an atomic test site and see what trouble we can cause.
Speaker 3: I can't wait, and.
Speaker 1: We'll speak to you next time, maybe if we survive, so I'll speak to you soon and bye for now. No, no,